PDA

View Full Version : Straight inta Compton: #3 Utah at USC 2015

Redbird
10-18-2015, 03:03 PM
Utes are at #3 in the AP Poll, and have the 2nd-most #1 votes to Ohio St. They are currently #7 in the Coaches Poll, but they are closer to #4 Sparty than #8 Alabama.

The line opens at Utah +3.

Utah broke a huge losing streak last season, winning in the Los Angeles area for the first time in 14 tries when they beat UCLA. They also beat USC for the first time in 4 tries as a P12 member.

QB Cody Kessler and LB Su'a Cravens are two of the best players in the country, nevermind the P12.

Diehard Ute
10-18-2015, 04:00 PM
I'm loving reading many of the football pundits being down on the Utes.

The team gets to be a top 5 team and still feel like the underdog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redbird
10-18-2015, 07:56 PM
7:30pm EDT kickoff on Fox. Excellent.

Rocker Ute
10-18-2015, 08:15 PM

The shift from last week's Cinderella to this week's uninvited guest.

I like Herbstreet but having Bama in your top four is ridiculous.

None of that matters though, we win and we're in and what a beautiful thing that is.

NorthwestUteFan
10-18-2015, 11:24 PM
I look forward to Cody Kessler inexplicably having the worst day of his career next week.

LA Ute
10-18-2015, 11:54 PM
I look forward to Cody Kessler inexplicably having the worst day of his career next week.

In other words, not bringing his "A" game.

SoCalPat
10-19-2015, 09:31 AM
Calling my shot: If we beat USC by 14 or more, we'll be the No. 1 team in the AP poll. And provided we handle OSU the following week, we'll be the top seed in the first CFP rankings.

There's only 66 points separating us from No. 1 Ohio State. Both OSU and Baylor have nondescript games this week (OSU is at Rutgers, Baylor hosts Iowa State). And still, there's a lot of voters who are inexplicably voting Michigan State ahead of us. With 16 first place votes, that means the other 50 voters only need move Utah up just 1.32 spots in their rankings. Had Michigan beaten MSU, we'd be an easy No. 2 right now.

Our second-biggest poll enemy is Alabama. Still too many voters inflating their resume and discounting ours.

Redbird
10-19-2015, 09:40 AM
Our second-biggest poll enemy is Alabama. Still too many voters inflating their resume and discounting ours.

A Tennessee upset this week would be awfully nice. Otherwise, we have to hope LSU can beat them in three weeks and then lose somewhere along the way.

Applejack
10-19-2015, 10:51 AM
A Tennessee upset this week would be awfully nice. Otherwise, we have to hope LSU can beat them in three weeks and then lose somewhere along the way.

I'm more concerned with the Trojans. Win that one and it'll all work out. Lose that one and we're hoping that the voters like us.

SoCalPat
10-19-2015, 11:38 AM
I'm more concerned with the Trojans. Win that one and it'll all work out. Lose that one and we're hoping that the voters like us.

Another fan who tries to think like a player or coach. WE'LL HAVE NONE OF THAT!

Applejack
10-19-2015, 02:27 PM
Another fan who tries to think like a player or coach. WE'LL HAVE NONE OF THAT!

No, I don't really care if people have daydreams, nor do I think what one posts on twitter has any impact on the real world. I'm just saying there's no reason to worry about our position in the polls; win at USC and we're ranked high (#1?), lose at USC and it doesn't matter if Tennessee pulls an upset.

wally
10-19-2015, 02:37 PM
Calling my shot: If we beat USC by 14 or more, we'll be the No. 1 team in the AP poll. And provided we handle OSU the following week, we'll be the top seed in the first CFP rankings.

There's only 66 points separating us from No. 1 Ohio State. Both OSU and Baylor have nondescript games this week (OSU is at Rutgers, Baylor hosts Iowa State). And still, there's a lot of voters who are inexplicably voting Michigan State ahead of us. With 16 first place votes, that means the other 50 voters only need move Utah up just 1.32 spots in their rankings. Had Michigan beaten MSU, we'd be an easy No. 2 right now.

Do you really want Kyle returning to SLC with an offer from USC folded up in his back pocket?

Seriously, I hope we win by one point on a controversial call. Also, winning like that, it would be fun watching haters heads explode.

Diehard Ute
10-19-2015, 03:33 PM
Do you really want Kyle returning to SLC with an offer from USC folded up in his back pocket?

Seriously, I hope we win by one point on a controversial call. Also, winning like that, it would be fun watching haters heads explode.

Well given the statement today from Kyle that he can't remember a time he's been more excited to work here, maybe that will be a wadded up offer.

chrisrenrut
10-19-2015, 04:11 PM
The win over ASU put Utah in the driver's seat in the division. Now it's time to start throwing contenders off the bus.

Looking back at last year's game at RES, it was a game filled with odd, momentum swinging plays. When I looked up the recap there were more than I could remember: Orphey returned the dropped lateral for a TD. Booker fumbles on 3rd & goal. Adoree Jackson had a 100 yd KO return. Patrick fumbled on a play that would have resulted in a 1st & goal from the 1. Then Fanaika gets the ball right back with an INT which sets up a Booker TD run. The USC step out of bounds on 4th down, and cap it all of with the Wilson-lead TD drive for the win.

Here's the U recap for the game: http://www.utahutes.com/sports/m-footbl/recaps/102614aab.html

The point being that USC didn't play their best game last year, but neither did Utah. I'm feeling good about Utah's chances in year's game with Utah being improved over last year and we're seeing team leaders playing with a notable confidence.

Welcome HooperUte. Solid first post. Consider a stop in the Emigration Canyon forum and introduce yourself.

wally
10-19-2015, 04:44 PM

LOL! Just gift-wrapped for Whitt to use as motivation!

Utebiquitous
10-20-2015, 12:28 AM
I think it's been posted somewhere that Fakailatonga is out for the year - ACL I believe. Mokofisi sat out Saturday but is hopeful for USC. Norris is banged up, and has been for the last two or three games. Coaches hope to patch him up but they'll be getting Whittingham, Suni Tauteoli and Masina extra reps throughout the week. Godfrey is pretty dinged up and isn't expected to play again this week so look for Hansen to get a few more reps. The other reason for this is that Williams has a few bumps and bruises and needs a few plays off.

LA Ute
10-20-2015, 07:47 AM
Utah keeps winning: The how and why doesn't really matter

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id/93333/utah-keeps-winning-the-how-and-why-dont-really-matter

DrumNFeather
10-20-2015, 11:09 AM
It will be very interesting to see what the interim Coach at USC can get out of his players, particularly this week. USC played pretty inspired for a good part of the Notre Dame game, but ultimately wilted in that game. Is this a team that we'll see come out inspired again? Hard to say. They still have a very good QB, and their speed at WR has always caused us problems. With the way Cal carved us up with screens, that can certainly be an issue this week. I'm hoping that all of our California guys come out ready to impress in front of their friends and family. If they do, you can slam the door shut on the South.

U-Ute
10-20-2015, 02:10 PM
Any USC meet ups?

U-Ute
10-20-2015, 02:10 PM
Any word on injuries from the ASU game yet?

Fakailoatonga is done for the season.

Rocker Ute
10-20-2015, 09:15 PM
USC is obviously loaded with athletes so I'm not meaning to discount that, but I can't think of a time this year where I've felt like we don't match up athletically, and that is probably the first time since we've been in the PAC12.

That fact I think is being overlooked. Not only are we being coached well, we seem to have the horses to keep up even into our depth chart.

USC will be interesting as to who shows up. I do think if we pop them in the mouth early they'll fall apart and struggle with a game plan.

On a side note, I was talking to a USC fan last week and he mentioned that part of Sark's agreement with SC included a full-time driver and that was at the request of the university. So his problems were well known at the time, although I think that it was largely kept off the field.

Redbird
10-21-2015, 11:39 AM
Utah has held USC under their yards per play average for the season 3 of the 4 times they've met in the P12. 2012 was the only year USC surpassed their season average against Utah (6.97 for the game, 6.60 for the season).

2011: 5.86, 6.53
2013: 4.19, 6.05
2014: 5.20, 6.04

Their average through 6 games this season is 7.49.

On the flipside, USC exceeded Utah's YPP allowed in 2011 and 2012, but not in the last two seasons.

2011: 5.86, 4.99
2012: 6.97, 5.34
2013: 4.19, 5.38
2014: 5.20, 5.34

Utah's YPP allowed through 6 games is 5.30, only exceeding 6 against Cal.

Turnovers will be interesting to watch. USC has thrown 5 INT's their last three games, and have turned it over a total of 7 times in that same span after not turning it over once in their first 3 games. Utah, of course, has forced 19 turnovers, with 14 of those coming against P5 competition. Utah's 13 INT's are tied for 2nd in the nation. Their +10 turnover margin against P5 schools is best in the nation.

In addition, the turnover margin has played a part in this series. Utah used a +2 turnover margin to give themselves a shot at a game-tying FG at the end of the game in 2011; both teams scored directly off of turnovers in 2012 (final margin was 0); USC finished +4 and won comfortably in 2013 despite being outgained; and last year, USC forced two fumbles inside their own 3-yard line, which almost delivered a victory until late into the 4th quarter, despite a Utah fumble recovery for TD (final margin was 0).

NorthwestUteFan
10-21-2015, 12:16 PM
UW punched USC directly in the teeth and completely had their way with the SC offensive line. Kessler got severely rattled in that game and his performance suffered dramatically. Utah has the strength in the D line yo do the same thing, but we also have a better Secondary over all compared to UW (at least when judged by the eye test). I have to believe that we will stop the run better than UW, although that depends on whether Cody's buddy Jared Norris is healthy for the game.

I think the Utes will abuse the Trojans all day long, but worry that Adoree Jackson will make us pay for mental errors, and this game could go either way because of that.

Applejack
10-21-2015, 12:22 PM
UW punched USC directly in the teeth and completely had their way with the SC offensive line. Kessler got severely rattled in that game and his performance suffered dramatically. Utah has the strength in the D line yo do the same thing, but we also have a better Secondary over all compared to UW (at least when judged by the eye test). I have to believe that we will stop the run better than UW, although that depends on whether Cody's buddy Jared Norris is healthy for the game.

I think the Utes will abuse the Trojans all day long, but worry that Adoree Jackson will make us pay for mental errors, and this game could go either way because of that.

Yes, I can't remember being this confident in a defense. That said, if Norris is out, all bets are off.

Diehard Ute
10-21-2015, 12:32 PM
Yes, I can't remember being this confident in a defense. That said, if Norris is out, all bets are off.

Although if we play our usual nickel his replacement is Whittingham so it's not as bad as it could be.

LA Ute
10-21-2015, 12:42 PM
Although if we play our usual nickel his replacement is Whittingham so it's not as bad as it could be.

Norris runs about a 4.5 40. Young Whittingham isn't even close to that. If the USC coaches are paying attention they'll probably try to exploit the situation, although I am not sure how.

Applejack
10-21-2015, 12:47 PM
Norris runs about a 4.5 40. Young Whittingham isn't even close to that. If the USC coaches are paying attention they'll probably try to exploit the situation, although I am not sure how.

Yeah, drag routes all day long. I like young Whittingham, but he's no Jared Norris.

Redbird
10-21-2015, 01:06 PM
UW punched USC directly in the teeth and completely had their way with the SC offensive line. Kessler got severely rattled in that game and his performance suffered dramatically. Utah has the strength in the D line yo do the same thing, but we also have a better Secondary over all compared to UW (at least when judged by the eye test).

The numbers would back that up. Against P5 schools, Utah allows a lower completion % (53.1 to 56.8), yards per attempt (6.4 to 8.1), and QB rating (105.61 to 132.50) than Washington.

SoCalPat
10-21-2015, 01:26 PM
Maybe a post for another thread, but I strongly recommend betting the under (60). Three of the four games in this series have fallen well short of that total, and I don't see Saturday being any different. Also, the under is 7-4 for Utah in Pac-12 games when the total is 60 or more.

Redbird
10-21-2015, 06:41 PM
Saw your tweet about sharps hammering USC -3.5 and the public betting Utah, SCP. Discouraging.

LA Ute
10-21-2015, 06:54 PM
Public service announcement

How to park near the Coliseum (if you are coming from the north):

1. Get to the 110 Freeway South.

2. Take Exit 20B.

3. Take South Figueroa Street to Jefferson Boulevard.

4. Turn right (west) on Jefferson.

5. On your right you will see the Shrine Auditorium and Expo Hall. After that building the next thing you will see on your right is a pay parking lot. (Your destination.)

It is a good parking lot with good lighting and security. You have kind of a walk from there to the Coliseum but it's not bad at all, and along the way there are lots of people, businesses and and foot traffic (i.e., you shouldn't feel nervous), and you will be able to get out after the game quickly.

If you are coming from the South:

1. From the 405 North take the 110 North to South Hope St. in Los Angeles.

2. Take exit 20B off the 110 North.

3. Follow South Hope Street to West Jefferson Blvd. Turn left (west).

4. Repeat step 5 above.

To get a map for yourself, just Google Map Shrine Auditorium and Expo Hall, 665 West Jefferson Boulevard, Los Angeles CA. You can expand the map out until you see the Coliseum and you'll see exactly how to walk there.

Or...a much simpler way is to use your Google maps or GPS to find the Shrine Auditorium and get there. The parking lot is practically next door, just west of the Shrine.

LA Ute
10-21-2015, 08:12 PM
Ted Miller tweet:

@TedMillerRK: No. 3 Utah is a 4-point underdog at unranked USC. Utah is highest-ranked team to be an underdog to an unranked foe in last 20 seasons.

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-22-2015, 12:35 AM
Ted Miller tweet:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=13940749

LA Ute
10-22-2015, 11:26 AM
This is interesting stuff. Paging SoCalPat: What do you think?

Utah football: No. 3 Utes are only top-4 vs. unranked underdogs since at least 1998 (http://www.sltrib.com/blogs/uofusports/3087346-155/utah-football-no-3-utes-are)

Goon gives the history of games in which the highly-ranked team was a dog to an unranked team. In 3 of 4 games, the ranked team lost. The key line in the article:

"Common thread in those four games: Vegas was onto something."

Not comforting, but we will see what happens. Go Utes!

Diehard Ute
10-22-2015, 11:44 AM

Utah football: No. 3 Utes are only top-4 vs. unranked underdogs since at least 1998 (http://www.sltrib.com/blogs/uofusports/3087346-155/utah-football-no-3-utes-are)

Goon gives the history of games in which the highly-ranked team was a dog to an unranked team. In 3 of 4 games, the ranked team lost. The key line in the article:

Watching a couple of the ESPN pundits talk about it they said two things. 1 was speed, although they conceded that Utah has recruited speed and no one really had USC's athletes. But their biggest reason for saying they agreed with USC being favored was "they're USC".

They also went on to say there are teams that come along like Utah where every week someone says "they're going down" and they don't.

I do think there's a general feeling that Utah's wins over Cal and ASU were 'bad' wins.

DrumNFeather
10-22-2015, 11:58 AM
Watching a couple of the ESPN pundits talk about it they said two things. 1 was speed, although they conceded that Utah has recruited speed and no one really had USC's athletes. But their biggest reason for saying they agreed with USC being favored was "they're USC".

They also went on to say there are teams that come along like Utah where every week someone says "they're going down" and they don't.

I do think there's a general feeling that Utah's wins over Cal and ASU were 'bad' wins.

I think the other thing too is that this team hasn't trailed for any significant part of a game, and never by double digits. So people have to probably wonder, what would happen if USC comes out and goes up 14-0, how will this team respond? In other words, I imagine that folks don't feel like we've faced any serious adversity this season (that wasn't self inflicted - special teams vs. ASU, etc.). Now, is that a reason to favor USC and think they'll beat us? No, but you can tell that even in voting the Utes #1, some of these guys just don't buy in. They are conditioned not to.

LA Ute
10-22-2015, 12:02 PM
Interesting stats for this weekend's game:

By the Numbers: No. 3 Utah at USC (http://www.ksl.com/?sid=37047336&nid=635&title=by-the-numbers-no-3-utah-at-usc&s_cid=queue-5)

LA Ute
10-22-2015, 12:09 PM
I think the other thing too is that this team hasn't trailed for any significant part of a game, and never by double digits. So people have to probably wonder, what would happen if USC comes out and goes up 14-0, how will this team respond? In other words, I imagine that folks don't feel like we've faced any serious adversity this season (that wasn't self inflicted - special teams vs. ASU, etc.). Now, is that a reason to favor USC and think they'll beat us? No, but you can tell that even in voting the Utes #1, some of these guys just don't buy in. They are conditioned not to.

I want to agree with you. But the guys in Vegas do their thing for money and I don't think they are conditioned by emotion and history. (Having said that, I acknowledge that I know next to nothing about gambling and oddsmaking.) So I still think Utah is going to win, but am intrigued by this seemingly anomalous spread.

Reminders:

In the Sugar Bowl the Utes were a 9.5-point dog.

Against Oregon this year, were 11-point dogs.

Senioritis
10-22-2015, 12:14 PM
The part of this game that gives me the heebiejeebies is USC's passing efficiency - 7th in the country. They've lost by 10 to two teams that are pretty freaking good. The 12 they put up against Washington is encouraging.

Utes win this, and even my overly-cynical father concedes that the Utes will win the South. Run away with it. Everybody knows it. Win this, beat OSU and the Colorado Hippaloes, and win one of UCLA, AZ, WA, and it's over.

But is this the one where Travis Wilson reverts? The Cal Wilson? The ASU '14 Wilson? Or will he ever fully revert? Is he really at this level, or will he regress a la Andrew Phillips of the US Ski Team? And where the hell am I?

In some ways, the season would be more fun, more dramatic if the Utes lost. But who am I kidding? USC is soft, and Utes are gonna roll 'em up.

I hope.

Diehard Ute
10-22-2015, 12:17 PM
I want to agree with you. But the guys in Vegas do their thing for money and I don't think they are conditioned by emotion and history. (Having said that, I acknowledge that I know next to nothing about gambling and oddsmaking.) So I still think Utah is going to win, but am intrigued by this seemingly anomalous spread.

Reminders:

The guys in Vegas couldn't care less about who wins. They set odds to make sure they make money, not to predict a winner.

DrumNFeather
10-22-2015, 12:33 PM
I forgot their starting Center is out. Advantage Utah.

U-Ute
10-22-2015, 01:01 PM

By the Numbers: No. 3 Utah at USC (http://www.ksl.com/?sid=37047336&nid=635&title=by-the-numbers-no-3-utah-at-usc&s_cid=queue-5)

Hah.. they lost me with the first one:

"Utah is 16-2 when ranked in the AP Top 10"

Show me a team ranked in the top 10 6 weeks into the season (we never start in the top 10) who doesn't have a gaudy winning percentage.

U-Ute
10-22-2015, 01:03 PM

Reminders:

I'd be curious about USC's record against the spread.

As we all know, the line has nothing to do about the game itself but rather about the behavior of people who bet on the game. Maybe USC gets an inordinate number of people who bet with their heart instead of their head.

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-22-2015, 01:43 PM

"Usc will be without their best 2 offensive lineman, and 4 WR from their two deep. Plus, a key DT. They are running thin." Twitter

SeattleUte
10-22-2015, 01:51 PM

Never trust anything from KSL.

SoCalPat
10-22-2015, 01:56 PM

In the four games cited in that article, the (higher) ranked team "lost" by only 3.8 points as it pertained to the spread. If Utah loses by 4 or less, the standard will have held. Line is USC -3.5, so Vegas has this one pretty dialed in as history is concerned.

80 percent of the bets are on Utah, but the line has remained stable. That means the big money is coming in on USC. This is a good time to remind people that Vegas is built off squares, not sharps.

I really think the dent in this line's armor is the total. At 60, Vegas is predicting a 32-28 game or thereabouts. Nothing in this series or in the two teams' performances this year suggests that kind of game is possible. I think Vegas is way off on that number -- my initial thoughts would've had this line at 54, tops. That's my security blanket on this one -- who's to say Vegas didn't whiff on favoring USC by 3 as well?

LA Ute
10-22-2015, 08:32 PM
Jon Wilner (http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegesports/2015/10/22/pac-12-football-picks-of-the-week-important-game-for-cal-telling-game-for-ucla/):

"UTAH (plus-3) at USC: Ah, the power of the USC money flow. There’s no tangible reason the Trojans should be favored after losing three of four, two in a row at home and now facing one of the best teams in the league. Tough matchup for the defensively-challenged Trojans. Pick: Utah."

NorthwestUteFan
10-22-2015, 08:46 PM
When people get all moist about USC having 'athletes all over the field' they are thinking of Jackson, Madden, (JS)^2, Kessler, Turek, etc. Outside of those players few we match up very well. And our front seven greatly outmatch their O line.

I expect to see a tough game. But I also believe we will have a comfortable ending and rather than a thrilling ending.

NorthwestUteFan
10-22-2015, 08:49 PM
And take everybody's advice and bet the UNDER.

Redbird
10-22-2015, 08:57 PM
Utah is 3-2 ATS against USC (including the 2001 Las Vegas Bowl), 2-3 straight-up. They have never been favored against USC (+7 in 2011, +13.5 in 2012, +5 in 2013, +1 in 2014).

Utah is 8-1 ATS in their last 9 road games. Utah has won 5 consecutive road games, dating back to last year (last road loss was in OT at ASU).

UBlender
10-22-2015, 09:44 PM
"Usc will be without their best 2 offensive lineman, and 4 WR from their two deep. Plus, a key DT. They are running thin." Twitter

From the sound of things, Adoree Jackson will be mostly playing on offense, meaning they'll also be down their best CB for much of the game. (This is probably a slap in the face to our WRs, but I would do the same thing in their shoes).

401k Ute
10-23-2015, 08:53 AM

USC's o-line is pretty unsettled right now due to injuries. Starting C Max Tuerk is out for the season. RG Toa Lobendahn has moved to C. Also LT Chad Wheeler is out with a concussion, so RT Zach Banner is moving to LT and true freshman Chuma Edoga will be at RT. These guys are enormous (avg 6'5" and 320 lbs), but I think Utah's DL should be able to take advantage of new guys and guys playing new positions. When he's in the game it will be interesting to see Pita T (6'1" 240 lbs) go up against Banner (6'9" 360 lbs).

Diehard Ute
10-23-2015, 09:06 AM
USC's o-line is pretty unsettled right now due to injuries. Starting C Max Tuerk is out for the season. RG Toa Lobendahn has moved to C. Also LT Chad Wheeler is out with a concussion, so RT Zach Banner is moving to LT and true freshman Chuma Edoga will be at RT. These guys are enormous (avg 6'5" and 320 lbs), but I think Utah's DL should be able to take advantage of new guys and guys playing new positions. When he's in the game it will be interesting to see Pita T (6'1" 240 lbs) go up against Banner (6'9" 360 lbs).

Guessing Banner will struggle with Pita's speed, as every other OL has. That's why he's a passing down specialist.

401k Ute
10-23-2015, 09:24 AM
The other thing I forgot to mention is that Edoga at RT is 6 inches shorter and 80 pounds lighter than Banner, who he replaces. Dimick and Fitts should really be able to take advantage of that matchup as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see USC use their TE or a FB on that side to help block the DE, which takes another weapon out of the passing routes.

Applejack
10-23-2015, 12:51 PM
I landed in la!!! It's an unbearable 75 degrees, but other than that not to bad here. This town seems ripe for an upset.

wally
10-23-2015, 02:18 PM
I landed in la!!! It's an unbearable 75 degrees, but other than that not to bad here. This town seems ripe for an upset.

A vegas upset or a polls upset?

Scratch
10-23-2015, 04:00 PM
Public service announcement

How to park near the Coliseum (if you are coming from the north):

LA, how early does this lot fill up? If I'm there by 3:45ish will it be OK?

LA Ute
10-23-2015, 04:05 PM
LA, how early does this lot fill up? If I'm there by 3:45ish will it be OK?

Don't know. I've always been pretty early for USC games.

LA Ute
10-23-2015, 04:06 PM
Nice words here but I don't get why Stanford would be ahead of us if we each had one loss.

1. No. 3 Utah at USC: The Trojans are favored in this game, but in the eyes of anyone following the College Football Playoff, if Utah loses, that's the upset. The Utes are the top team in the Pac-12 South and the only undefeated team remaining in the conference. Utah now has an FBS-high five wins against teams currently ranked in the top half of the Football Power Index and have made a strong case for the top four. A loss to USC and Stanford would stand alone as the Pac-12's top playoff contender.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/page/gamedaykickoff2015week8/gameday-kickoff-brace-upset-shakes-college-football-playoff-week-8

U-Ute
10-23-2015, 05:26 PM
A USC fan's perspective on the game.

https://sportsbyscondi.wordpress.com/2015/10/23/i-think-we-suck-usc-vs-utah-preview/

FountainOfUte
10-23-2015, 05:42 PM
Nice words here but I don't get why Stanford would be ahead of us if we each had one loss.

I wonder if it's nothing more than the "early losses are better than later losses" school of thought. For the most part, Stanford is already forgiven for their loss to Northwestern. A second-half-of-the-season loss would damn a team like ours that people are begging to discredit as is.

LA Ute
10-23-2015, 06:07 PM
A USC fan's perspective on the game.

https://sportsbyscondi.wordpress.com/2015/10/23/i-think-we-suck-usc-vs-utah-preview/

The guy writes well:

What’s the Line? (-3.5)

(Current Record: 1-5)

What does Vegas know that we don’t? USC is favored at home by three and a half points. In terms of betting, three points is usually given to the home team if it would be an even matchup on a neutral field. Given that Utah is a lot better than USC and the Coliseum doesn’t get any louder than Leavey Library during finals, I’m tempted to actually put a lot of money on the Utes and pay off my immense student loans. What is this line? How is this even possible? The worst part of the line is that if USC somehow finds a way to win, whatever fans still care about the team will charge the field and we will be breaking the unwritten rule of “don’t charge the field when you were favored to win”.

Prediction:

This is the game isn’t it? The one USC wins and gives you heartache because you’ve lost to three worse opponents. The “If we played like this all year we would have gone to the playoff” game. The game that gives you hope that we could make the Rose Bowl. That we might make a run.

This isn’t the game. USC will throw everything at Utah, but the match-ups are not at all in USC’s favor. Utah’s strong defense offsets our offensive weapons and they run plays that actually move the football forward, so our defense is screwed. This team may not be better than us in skill, but they make up for it with teamwork and mental fortitude, things our program has been lacking for a while.
On the bright side, at least we will get to see our future coach get his first victory in the Coliseum. And no, I’m not talking about Clay Helton. I’m talking about Kyle Whittingham. Can’t wait for him to get asked if he’s interested in the USC job during his post-game pressure. Spoiler Alert: He’s isn’t.

Utah 35 – USC 24

NorthwestUteFan
10-23-2015, 06:17 PM
I love the spoiler at the end. USC needs Whitt in the worst possible way. Buy they can't afford him.

NorthwestUteFan
10-23-2015, 06:23 PM
I can't recall where this was posted, but Whitt is @21 yrs in Utah government. If he waits until 25 yrs he draws 60% of his High 3 salary as a pension. This means USC would need to guarantee Whitt 7 yrs at $5M just to BREAK EVEN.

I hope somebody he trusts runs through this monetary breakdown with him.

Diehard Ute
10-23-2015, 08:27 PM
I can't recall where this was posted, but Whitt is @21 yrs in Utah government. If he waits until 25 yrs he draws 60% of his High 3 salary as a pension. This means USC would need to guarantee Whitt 7 yrs at $5M just to BREAK EVEN.

I hope somebody he trusts runs through this monetary breakdown with him.

Being that he's a contract employee I don't believe he gets state retirement benefits. He also has to hit 30 years for 60% (public safety us 60 after 25)

NorthwestUteFan
10-23-2015, 09:18 PM
Well that just means we will need to lock him up until 2024

Scorcho
10-23-2015, 10:46 PM
I wanted to gross you all out and name this thread ... "these aren't your fathers Trojans"

NorthwestUteFan
10-24-2015, 10:59 AM
SC loves to go play-action on the first play of the game to get a big play and get the crowd into it. If our secondary pays attention they might be able to intercept that and deflate the Trojans.

SeattleUte
10-24-2015, 11:11 AM
I hope the team doesn't read LAUte's posts because he's usually full of crap. Specifically, if they stay within themselves, don't get too fancy or cute, and don't turn the ball over, they'll win, like 27-14. The defense will get us turnovers and short fields to capitalize on. Let's not do what we did against ASU--the defense allowed only 3 points but special teams mistakes gave them double digit points. That's how we would lose. We need to get ahead in the first half and stay ahead too, like vs. Cal and Oregon.

Mormon Red Death
10-24-2015, 11:14 AM
Line moved to 7 for the Utah game? Was there a suspension of players?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

LA Ute
10-24-2015, 11:25 AM
I hope the team doesn't read LAUte's posts because he's usually full of crap.

I may be full of crap but I'm your guy who's full of crap. Own it.

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-24-2015, 01:25 PM
Line moved to 7 for the Utah game? Was there a suspension of players?

This seems to be one of the strangest lines I've ever followed. Ran into a friend's husband last night who's a Ute and bets on sports professionally. I was hoping he could explain what was going on but he had no answers. He said he never bets on Utah games but this line was almost enough for making an exception. That was before this morning's jump.

LA Ute
10-24-2015, 02:44 PM
Parking update: The lot I sent everyone to is closed for a private event (the Shriners' annual lobsterfest). If you follow the signs you'll get in the lot next door. $30.

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-24-2015, 05:09 PM
Parking update: The lot I sent everyone to is closed for a private event (the Shriners' annual lobsterfest). If you follow the signs you'll get in the lot next door. $30.

SU was right. 😥

Diehard Ute
10-24-2015, 05:14 PM

Here I fixed it

If you follow the signs you'll get in the lot I own next door. $30.

mpfunk
10-24-2015, 05:48 PM
Not a good start for the defense.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Irving Washington
10-24-2015, 06:12 PM
Not a good start for the defense.

Suddenly looking a lot better.

Diehard Ute
10-24-2015, 06:18 PM
USC now down to their third string Center.

mpfunk
10-24-2015, 06:53 PM
I'm just glad this team has mental toughness and isn't going to fold, but I'm worried.

mpfunk
10-24-2015, 07:01 PM
The old Wilson is back.

mpfunk
10-24-2015, 07:12 PM
I really wish USC still had a drunk coach on the sideline.

SeattleUte
10-24-2015, 07:13 PM
I hope the team doesn't read LAUte's posts because he's usually full of crap. Specifically, if they stay within themselves, don't get too fancy or cute, and don't turn the ball over, they'll win, like 27-14. The defense will get us turnovers and short fields to capitalize on. Let's not do what we did against ASU--the defense allowed only 3 points but special teams mistakes gave them double digit points. That's how we would lose. We need to get ahead in the first half and stay ahead too, like vs. Cal and Oregon.

What he said.

OrangeUte
10-24-2015, 07:13 PM
Maybe usc knows our play calling code.

SeattleUte
10-24-2015, 07:16 PM
On the pik 6 the least Travis could have done is made that tackle. What a wus.

NorthwestUteFan
10-24-2015, 07:23 PM
I don't know why Travis is so inaccurate today after the first quarter.

LA Ute
10-24-2015, 07:26 PM
I know what needs to be done during the halftime break. Our players need to get faster and Travis needs to become more accurate.

NorthwestUteFan
10-24-2015, 07:26 PM
Jared Norris is our MVP this year

LA Ute
10-24-2015, 07:27 PM
It is a nice evening for a football game, however.

Note: it looked to us like Travis's left arm is bothering him. May explain the inaccuracy.

LA Ute
10-24-2015, 07:30 PM
We are -2 on TOs. The opposite of where we want to be.

NorthwestUteFan
10-24-2015, 07:43 PM
Time for a turnover

Brian
10-24-2015, 07:43 PM
Jared Norris is our MVP this year

Agree. He makes a huge difference....

mpfunk
10-24-2015, 07:54 PM
Giving up too many 3rd and long. I think this thing is done.

mpfunk
10-24-2015, 08:01 PM
That's game. 2 third and longs given up. We got what we deserved.

OrangeUte
10-24-2015, 08:04 PM
We can score here. Time to go to the trick Arsenal.

LA Ute
10-24-2015, 08:14 PM
Gotta hand it to USC. They've played an almost error-free game. No TOs, no bad penalties.

OrangeUte
10-24-2015, 08:17 PM
Guess since we are ranked 3 we can't run trick plays. Seriously. Throw something at this defense for crying out loud.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
10-24-2015, 08:18 PM

SU knows football. The pick 6 in a punting situation right before half has been the heartbreaker, that wasn't Utah football that was as SU said "cute".

Diehard Ute
10-24-2015, 08:24 PM
SC has played a great game and Utah didn't show up. That = blowout. Hats off to the better team

Diehard Ute
10-24-2015, 08:29 PM
He will someone at the game tell Wilson 35 is NOT on our team?

Jarid in Cedar
10-24-2015, 08:30 PM
At least the Whitt to USC talk will die down.

Redbird
10-24-2015, 08:36 PM
We still control our own destiny in the South, but there are no other positives to carry from this performance. We looked like a shrinking violet on the big stage.

Thankfully, our next 3 games are very winnable, even though UW represents another monkey on our back. UCLA will be very difficult.

Devildog
10-24-2015, 08:37 PM
Hopefully this is a wakeup call. Playoff contenders win these types of games.

We shit the bed in epic fashion tonight.

Maybe its a sign that Travis needs to shave the rape-shack mustache.

OrangeUte
10-24-2015, 08:38 PM
Hopefully this is a wakeup call. Playoff contenders win these types of games.

We shit the bed in epic fashion tonight.

Maybe its a sign that Travis needs to shave the rape-shack mustache.

Exactly.

Redbird
10-24-2015, 09:03 PM
God, do we really have to play at the Coliseum every other year? That's 8 turnovers in the last two trips there. Against two interim coaches, no less.

1Colonial
10-24-2015, 10:30 PM
We had no answer for the size, speed, and strength of their WRs. They could have only run screens to the sideline all night, and they would have still racked up 400 yards.

Those picks were brutal. That and the 15 yard penalty. Amazing how a three hour game can hinge on 10 seconds of play. We've been on the lucky end of that stuff all year, and the law of averages caught up with us.

First off, I got a kick out of a Michigan fan when asked thru social media if their collective fanbase was on suicide watch after losing to Michigan State on that crazy punt play.

The fan responded back saying, "No I am not on suicide watch. I cried for about five minutes and then I went to get a milkshake."

So after the Utes loss tonight, I went to the local grocery store and bought myself some Double stuff Oreos to console me.

During my drive over there, I thought about the game and what went wrong and wanted to write down my thoughts about it more to theraputically remind myself that this is still a very special season that has not been derailed by tonight.

The Utes were right in it until the Travis interceptions and then the 30 play drive the Trojans had in third where the Ute D had them stopped if not for the 15 yard penalty.

USC is extremely fast on both sides of the ball and Travis will not have to play a defense like that the rest of the season except for UW who have a freshman QB who makes Utah 2013 look like an offensive juggernaut. Arizona is a train wreck defensively, Colorado and Oregon State are who they are and Utes get them at home, and UCLA is the walking wounded.

If the Utes get Norris back, all will be well on the D front. I loved how Gionni Paul played tonight. What an absolute beast.

If the Utes can simply put this behind them and just "Imagine U" with the possibilities that they still have, it is amazing. Winning the South is right there. It all starts next week with the Beavs.

Remember everyone, utah lost because of USC talent and motivation tonight that with Travis's turnovers turned into something that they could not overcome. Travis will not turn the ball over like this going forward and the D will be solid because there are lesser talented teams ahead of them that won't force them into the situations that they were in tonight.

As an out of town Ute who went to the Cal game, I plead with the fanbase for OSU next week. Please bring the noise. They are five games away from something special.

They can do it. I'm a believer...

1Colonial
10-24-2015, 10:32 PM
Nothing that happened tonight is stopping the Utes from a huge opportunity here:

1) The Utes have a one game lead in the South
2) The Utes have three of their five remaining games at home.
3) Two of those five games are against the two worst teams in the Pac-12-Oregon State and Colorado
4) Of these five teams, I believe that only UW can put up a defense that can make Travis do what he did tonight
5) Related to #4, Arizona is a train wreck
6) Gionni Paul is an absolute beast
7) Travis and Devontae are healthy and if Norris can come back, the health situation of the team is relatively good
8) Two conf loss UCLA is the walking wounded and will play USC
9) Two conf loss USC will play at Cal, at Oregon, and UCLA
10) #8 and #9 teams will more than likely lose one more game
11) ASU will lose a tie-breaker to the Utes

Come on guys, there are things ahead that the Utes have never seen before and what happened tonight was due to turnovers caused by talent that the five upcoming games will not test Travis with.

Bring the noise next week against OSU!!!

1Colonial
10-24-2015, 10:36 PM
Yes I put my two above posts on a couple of Ute sites via copy and paste because of sheer laziness but wanted to get my message out to all types of Ute fans here...

I think us as Ute fans really need to see the light at the end of this tunnel. USC brings a lot of issues when they are motivated. Our five remaining opponents do not bring these issues in volume like USC did tonight. Travis will be more comfortable. Norris will be back. As a lifelong Ute (98 grad), fan of Manny Hendrix and Errol Tucker, the Utes have a month of football to complete that could bring things that would have been unfathomable to my years cheering for MAFU at the U in the nineties when I was content competing with BYU and hoping for a bowl appearance.

C'mon Utes, it can be done! Go get it!!!

NorthwestUteFan
10-24-2015, 11:06 PM
Excellent post Colonial, i appreciate your position on this situation. We are still in the best position our program has ever seen, and still hold our own destiny in our hands.

Disregard what the naysayers and talking heads say this week and come back to cheer for our team next week!

NorthwestUteFan
10-24-2015, 11:07 PM
And especially disregard what the byu fans will say. Nobody gives a shit what they think.

LA Ute
10-24-2015, 11:43 PM
I think 1Colonial has it right. There's a lot of football left to play and this is a special bunch of guys. Not perfect, but special.

Diehard Ute
10-24-2015, 11:44 PM
If USC played like this during the rest of their schedule they'd have a much better record.

They're a good team. So are the Utes. Lots of football to be played.

DrumNFeather
10-25-2015, 05:57 AM
This game was a bit of a perfect storm for USC. They were given an opportunity to save their season and they responded well. There were several moments early on in the game which I thought were signs of things to come. Notably, on their opening drive when we came out and sacked Kessler and had them in second and long and Jones ran for 10 yards and set up a third and short which they then converted when Dimick couldn't bring Kessler down. You can't allow that to happen. When you get teams in second or third and long, you've got to get off the field. Failing to do that tonight provided USC with all the opportunities they needed to beat us. Jones has a little bit of Devonte Freeman in him. He runs hard, he's quick, and he's decisive. That he was able to score untouched on a 2nd and goal from the 18 is unacceptable. They also ran those crossing routes that have haunted us back to the days of New Mexico and TCU.

I was surprised to see us abandon the run with Booker so quickly (so it seemed).

After saving our bacon against ASU, it was unfortunate to see Travis struggle so much, particularly with the poor decision making. On both the first Smith pick and the Covey drop (which, we had a handful of those as well) he had enough green grass in front of him to get the first down and extend the drive. He's just got to make a better decision than that. Our offensive staff will be tested. They did not call a very good game this week and they're going to need to step it up a little here.

Everything we want to accomplish is still in front of us. Everything. As good as USC is, there's nothing, not one thing, that they can do to get into the Pac 12 title game without our help. Our guys need to remember that and go out and play. The road swing after Halloween looms large.

I would not want to be the Oregon St. Beavers next week.

U-Ute
10-25-2015, 08:39 AM
USC has produced the blueprint for beating the Utes: have a couple of NFL receivers with other world athleticism, an above average QB who makes accurate throws and doesn't make mistakes throw it out to the edges and let their athleticism make plays.

On defense, have a freshman middle linebacker with great hands play like a 4 year starter and have 3 interceptions.

Dang. The cat is out of the bag. We're doomed.

SoCalPat
10-25-2015, 09:12 AM
Tough to pick out THAT ONE MOMENT where the game was lost, because up until USC's epic-length drive in the third quarter, change the outcome of 2 plays and it's a tie game or thereabouts.

That said, last night spelled why we wouldn't ... check that ... couldn't go undefeated. We simply do not have receivers that can stretch a defense, and it handicaps us in the passing game. Our receiver corps are all Braden Godfreys and Travis Latendresses, and no David Reeds or Kaelin Clays. Hell, what I wouldn't give for Derrick Richards to be on this team. Those were lousy throws by Travis, but the result was an overdue byproduct of how limited we are in the pass game. Linebackers should never be able to jump routes with the frequency USC did last night, and it's because no one respects our receivers to get behind a defense. They also know we're so conservative offensively that even if it works (Butler-Byrd vs. Cal), that we won't go to it again.

Also, we missed Norris badly last night. I bet USC ran 70 percent of their offensive plays to the right side, which was Norris' side of the field. We should've opened up playing nickel and we should've played it a lot last night. JWhit was awful.

I think Kyle was right to go for it on 4th down when he did late in the half. I don't think coaches go for it enough on 4th down. He saw the tea leaves on defense, and that we were going to have to score 35-plus to win. Plus, USC got the ball to start the second half. If we punt there, we set ourselves up to be down 21 points before the offense touches the ball again. What I have a problem is with the decision to pass. We're diversified enough in the run game that we can get 2 yards. Why we throw there, I have no idea.

As has been stated, all is not lost, and I think the fanbase is taking this well. Disappointed, yes, but not irrationally lashing out or feeling hopelessly doomed. I feel a lot better today than I did after 2010 TCU, that's for sure. Florida State losing was massive for us if we're still hoping for a playoff spot. And are you telling me you wouldn't relish a Rose Bowl spot vs. a Big 10 No. 2 of Iowa or Michigan State? Unlike the aforementioned 2010 TCU game, instead of going to Notre Dame, we're coming home to play Oregon State. This team should get its mojo back really quickly. Everything is literally still on the table except a perfect season, and there's only 3-5 teams every year that can dare set that goal. The significance of going undefeated polluted our minds because that's all BYU fans have talked about from January-September for 30 years.

concerned
10-25-2015, 09:18 AM
I thought USC made a great adjustment toward the end of the first q that changed the game. Dimick had been eating the right tackle alive, and we were getting great pressure on Kessler. Sacks, hurries, tips, near misses etc. Then they went to the wide receiver screens heavily and neutralized the pass rush. We couldnt cover those obviously and seemed as though they were always good for 8 -12 yards.

LA Ute
10-25-2015, 11:29 AM
Tough to pick out THAT ONE MOMENT where the game was lost, because up until USC's epic-length drive in the third quarter, change the outcome of 2 plays and it's a tie game or thereabouts.

That said, last night spelled why we wouldn't ... check that ... couldn't go undefeated. We simply do not have receivers that can stretch a defense, and it handicaps us in the passing game. Our receiver corps are all Braden Godfreys and Travis Latendresses, and no David Reeds or Kaelin Clays. Hell, what I wouldn't give for Derrick Richards to be on this team. Those were lousy throws by Travis, but the result was an overdue byproduct of how limited we are in the pass game. Linebackers should never be able to jump routes with the frequency USC did last night, and it's because no one respects our receivers to get behind a defense. They also know we're so conservative offensively that even if it works (Butler-Byrd vs. Cal), that we won't go to it again.

Also, we missed Norris badly last night. I bet USC ran 70 percent of their offensive plays to the right side, which was Norris' side of the field. We should've opened up playing nickel and we should've played it a lot last night. JWhit was awful.

I think Kyle was right to go for it on 4th down when he did late in the half. I don't think coaches go for it enough on 4th down. He saw the tea leaves on defense, and that we were going to have to score 35-plus to win. Plus, USC got the ball to start the second half. If we punt there, we set ourselves up to be down 21 points before the offense touches the ball again. What I have a problem is with the decision to pass. We're diversified enough in the run game that we can get 2 yards. Why we throw there, I have no idea.

As has been stated, all is not lost, and I think the fanbase is taking this well. Disappointed, yes, but not irrationally lashing out or feeling hopelessly doomed. I feel a lot better today than I did after 2010 TCU, that's for sure. Florida State losing was massive for us if we're still hoping for a playoff spot. And are you telling me you wouldn't relish a Rose Bowl spot vs. a Big 10 No. 2 of Iowa or Michigan State? Unlike the aforementioned 2010 TCU game, instead of going to Notre Dame, we're coming home to play Oregon State. This team should get its mojo back really quickly. Everything is literally still on the table except a perfect season, and there's only 3-5 teams every year that can dare set that goal. The significance of going undefeated polluted our minds because that's all BYU fans have talked about from January-September for 30 years.

Lots of good comments on the board this morning but these are among the best. One item (of many) that is still puzzling me is that Booker had only 14 carries. Was our O-line so ineffective at opening holes that we gave up on that aspect of the game?

The point at which I felt a sense of foreboding was when Kessler slipped out of Dimick's grasp and instead of a sack, converted a third and long in what would become a clock-eating 90-yard touchdown drive. Something about that play and the rest of the series left me thinking "Uh-oh." I don't blame Dimick because he was nails all game long.

Anyway, we all knew it was a stretch to think these Utes would get through the season without getting knocked off by someone at some point. Now it's happened and not in a flukey way -- this can be a good wake-up call. This season still has all the makings of a very special one.

LA Ute
10-25-2015, 11:33 AM
I thought USC made a great adjustment toward the end of the first q that changed the game. Dimick had been eating the right tackle alive, and we were getting great pressure on Kessler. Sacks, hurries, tips, near misses etc. Then they went to the wide receiver screens heavily and neutralized the pass rush. We couldnt cover those obviously and seemed as though they were always good for 8 -12 yards.

I suppose that of the remaining teams on the schedule UCLA is the only one with the athletes to copy USC's strategy. By then I hope we can be ready with some kind of answer.

U-Ute
10-25-2015, 12:21 PM

While I think the turnovers hurt us the most, their ability to run up the middle speaks volumes about what Norris has been giving us.

Exactly. Before the season, if someone had told me we would lose 2 games and have a shot at being in the Rose or Holiday bowls, I would have been giddy.

LA Ute
10-25-2015, 12:51 PM
I suppose rich rod can generate some version of it too.

He'd be dumb not to try.

LA Ute
10-25-2015, 12:55 PM
Exactly. Before the season, if someone had told me we would lose 2 games and have a shot at being in the Rose or Holiday bowls, I would have been giddy.

If you go back to before the season started you'll see that most of us were saying we'd consider 7 or 8 wins would be a good season. I was, at least.

DrumNFeather
10-25-2015, 02:02 PM
If you go back to before the season started you'll see that most of us were saying we'd consider 7 or 8 wins would be a good season. I was, at least.
Always good to just enjoy the ride!

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

U-Ute
10-25-2015, 03:36 PM
The story behind JuJu beckoning Hatfield to destroy him with a stiff-arm.

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id/93676/juju-smith-schusters-stiff-arm-silences-trash-talking-utah-cb

https://vine.co/v/eV2DvYO5U3h

Diehard Ute
10-25-2015, 03:49 PM

As has been stated, all is not lost, and I think

We did open in Nickel. Whittingham took Norris spot as one of the two LB's, I don't know that we played anything but Nickel

Diehard Ute
10-25-2015, 03:52 PM
Losing Dimick again certainly hurt as well

In the second half we had Pita in a lot, and while he's a great pass rusher he's swinging gate in the run game.

LA Ute
10-25-2015, 03:55 PM
The other "uh-oh" moment I had (along with those who were sitting with me) was the hands to the face penalty that gave USC a first down after we'd stopped them. You can tolerate a mistake like that sometimes, but not when the other team is making no serious mistakes.

SoCalPat
10-25-2015, 03:56 PM
While I think the turnovers hurt us the most, their ability to run up the middle speaks volumes about what Norris has been giving us.

Jones and Davis rushed 34 times for 139 yards, but we also had 10 TFL that weren't sacks. That's a 4.1 YPC for USC for their top two runners. I'll take it. That wasn't the overriding concern with our defense in this game. They won some battles, we won some battles.

LA Ute
10-25-2015, 04:02 PM
Jones and Davis rushed 34 times for 139 yards, but we also had 10 TFL that weren't sacks. That's a 4.1 YPC for USC for their top two runners. I'll take it. That wasn't the overriding concern with our defense in this game. They won some battles, we won some battles.

I guess sometimes it really is simple. We ended up down 0-4 on TOs and 0-21 on points off turnovers.

Diehard Ute
10-25-2015, 04:23 PM
I guess sometimes it really is simple. We ended up down 0-4 on TOs and 0-21 on points off turnovers.

Yup

It's even more dramatic when it's a Pick Six and the others are returned to the 4 and 23.

You're not going to win games when you turn the ball over and have those end results.

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-25-2015, 05:13 PM
Losing Dimick again certainly hurt as well

I haven't watched any of the second half. This is the first I've heard about Dimick out. Is this something to worry about onto OSU?

Any chance we see Norris back?

It would have been nice to get at least a few points off of our zero take aways.

Diehard Ute
10-25-2015, 05:44 PM
I haven't watched any of the second half. This is the first I've heard about Dimick out. Is this something to worry about onto OSU?

Any chance we see Norris back?

It would have been nice to get at least a few points off of our zero take aways.

Dimick had a right shoulder injury of some sort.

I don't know that anyone has any idea about Norris. He wasn't on crutches and was playing catch pre game. But who knows.

LA Ute
10-25-2015, 06:02 PM

All game long I was screaming that we need a TO. They weren't listening. They never do.

justaute
10-25-2015, 07:01 PM
Very interested to watch the next episode of "The Drive".

LA Ute
10-25-2015, 07:05 PM
I dropped by UF.net and saw this interesting analysis:

http://www.utefans.net/message.php?id=1775444

The response from UtahFanSir is good too.

SeattleUte
10-25-2015, 07:08 PM
I've been thinking for weeks that that dinky slant pass they keep doing seems risky as hell relative to the upside; if someone picks one of those it's all she wrote--I figured I'm missing something because I'm no expert, and maybe the key is to get it off fast and don't give the D a chance to react. It seems to me the USC D coaches saw some way that Travis was telegraphing, and they told the LBs, "try to anticipate and snag one or two of those, and it could be pick six." Three times can't be a fluke. They had our number on that play, and it was the difference in the game.

justaute
10-25-2015, 07:13 PM
I dropped by UF.net and saw this interesting analysis:

http://www.utefans.net/message.php?id=1775444

The response from UtahFanSir is good too.

Nice. When I used to play a lot of basketball, I would tell my friends that you are in trouble when you are "short, slow, can't jump, and don't understand the game." When your natural, physical talent is inferior, you'd better play smart and work your ass off to get better. Watching USC's skill-players running around, through, and over the Utes was not fun.

The part that really bothered me was the self-inflicted mistakes. Make your opponent "earn" the win.

wally
10-26-2015, 08:08 AM
The story behind JuJu beckoning Hatfield to destroy him with a stiff-arm.

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id/93676/juju-smith-schusters-stiff-arm-silences-trash-talking-utah-cb

https://vine.co/v/eV2DvYO5U3h

What a nightmare game!!

That said, this juju stiff arm play, with the accompanying backstory, is pretty hilarious. Domo, you joker!

chrisrenrut
10-26-2015, 11:08 AM
I've been thinking for weeks that that dinky slant pass they keep doing seems risky as hell relative to the upside; if someone picks one of those it's all she wrote--I figured I'm missing something because I'm no expert, and maybe the key is to get it off fast and don't give the D a chance to react. It seems to me the USC D coaches saw some way that Travis was telegraphing, and they told the LBs, "try to anticipate and snag one or two of those, and it could be pick six." Three times can't be a fluke. They had our number on that play, and it was the difference in the game.

Agreed, and it is so frustrating. It was obvious after the first pick that they were jumping our short routes. I kept hoping for a pump fake to a long throw, but I don't think Travis ever considered looking more than 10 yards down field.

Sullyute
10-26-2015, 11:18 AM
What a nightmare game!!

That said, this juju stiff arm play, with the accompanying backstory, is pretty hilarious. Domo, you joker!

Wow, The way that he threw him to the ground at that angle it looks like he would have had to grab some face mask on the play. :dunno:

U-Ute
10-26-2015, 02:34 PM
Wow, The way that he threw him to the ground at that angle it looks like he would have had to grab some face mask on the play. :dunno:

Keep in mind that JuJu doesn't turn 19 until November 26.

Dude is a man-child.

LA Ute
10-27-2015, 03:21 PM
I'm curious -- did Whitt say anything in his press conference about why Booker only had 14 carries?

U-Ute
10-27-2015, 03:50 PM
I'm curious -- did Whitt say anything in his press conference about why Booker only had 14 carries?

"coaching error".

He wants Booker to get 30 touches per game. He only had 14 carries, 9 recs.

EDIT: To elaborate, he felt like they got away from him too quickly in the third quarter.

SoCalPat
10-27-2015, 04:42 PM
"coaching error".

He wants Booker to get 30 touches per game. He only had 14 carries, 9 recs.

EDIT: To elaborate, he felt like they got away from him too quickly in the third quarter.

LOL. We ran 7 plays from scrimmage in the third quarter. Four were runs by Booker for all of 10 yards. That's the best we can do in the second half down multiple scores, when USC might expect us to pass more? Kyle's being nice. We didn't "get away" from Booker at all, since most teams pass more when down multiple scores in that situation, which covered the last 34 minutes of the game. Vanilla doesn't work in that scenario. That's a massive indictment of the passing game if Kyle really believes that.

SoCalPat
10-27-2015, 04:50 PM

Devontae Booker officially fell from Heisman consideration when Kyle elected to pass on 4th and 2 from midfield at the end of the second half.

Jarid in Cedar
10-27-2015, 04:59 PM
LOL. We ran 7 plays from scrimmage in the third quarter. Four were runs by Booker for all of 10 yards. That's the best we can do in the second half down multiple scores, when USC might expect us to pass more? Kyle's being nice. We didn't "get away" from Booker at all, since most teams pass more when down multiple scores in that situation, which covered the last 34 minutes of the game. Vanilla doesn't work in that scenario. That's a massive indictment of the passing game if Kyle really believes that.

I was going to say the same thing. We got away from Booker because we were down too far to lean on the running game.

wally
10-27-2015, 05:03 PM
Devontae Booker officially fell from Heisman consideration when Kyle elected to pass on 4th and 2 from midfield at the end of the second half.

I was having a hard time telling whether Booker wasn't seeing lanes (if they were even there) or whether the line wasn't opening anything for him at all. Maybe both.

U-Ute
10-27-2015, 05:15 PM

That's why I felt compelled to clarify what he said. It seemed odd to me too that he said that..

SoCalPat
10-28-2015, 09:05 AM
I was going to say the same thing. We got away from Booker because we were down too far to lean on the running game.

One more thing about "getting away from the run game" rationale that really irks me.

USC has just gone on its epic drive in the third quarter to go up 35-17. It's a three score game and we have 18:30 left in the game. We promptly run 7 plays, covering 22 yards in 4:24. In other words, no urgency. We're huddling up after every play and we're wasting huge amounts of time. This is a great possession if we're up multiple scores. Down multiple scores, it gives every appearance of throwing in the towel. My faith in our offense, from personnel to coaching to scheme, took a massive hit Saturday night.

Redbird
10-28-2015, 09:22 AM
I was having a hard time telling whether Booker wasn't seeing lanes (if they were even there) or whether the line wasn't opening anything for him at all. Maybe both.

Booker rushed for 4.43 YPC against USC, which doesn't seem like much, and is his lowest YPC in a game since the USU game. But on the season, his YPC is under 4.5 through the first 3 quarters of the game, and 7.00 in the 4th quarter. He was (possibly) set up very well to meet or exceed his numbers had Utah kept the game to one possession and was able to continue running the ball late in the game.

LA Ute
10-28-2015, 05:28 PM
I just heard a sports media guy refer to "USC's big win over Utah." It was was kind of jarring in an oddly pleasant way.

U-Ute
10-29-2015, 08:09 PM
Covey quoted Jack Handy today in a piece with Kyle Goon.

Is it too early to start a thread for him?

Senioritis
10-29-2015, 08:30 PM
I have seen no one else mention this, but I can't let it go. I swear that the ball didn't cross the goal line on the first fourth down. I know we all like it when girthy guys score, with the ball or with the chicks, but I sincerely do not believe that #31 the beefy fullback broke the plane with the ball.

Those dudes wearing the stripes with the bones in the middle of their brains didn't officially review it, but I am convinced. I would like an official review and explanation and perhaps apology and bouquet of assorted fruit from PAC 12 HQ.

Can I get an amen, even if tepid or lacking in complete conviction?

hostile
10-29-2015, 09:11 PM
I have seen no one else mention this, but I can't let it go. I swear that the ball didn't cross the goal line on the first fourth down. I know we all like it when girthy guys score, with the ball or with the chicks, but I sincerely do not believe that #31 the beefy fullback broke the plane with the ball.

Those dudes wearing the stripes with the bones in the middle of their brains didn't officially review it, but I am convinced. I would like an official review and explanation and perhaps apology and bouquet of assorted fruit from PAC 12 HQ.

Can I get an amen, even if tepid or lacking in complete conviction?

Amen!

(I don't think video review would have overturned the TD call, however)

Applejack
10-30-2015, 08:45 AM
Amen!

(I don't think video review would have overturned the TD call, however)

Both 4th downs were close, and they resulted in a mass of bodies that were indistinguishable from one another. The refs did the smart thing and just called a TD to appease the rabid heathens.

Senioritis
10-30-2015, 10:10 AM
Both 4th downs were close, and they resulted in a mass of bodies that were indistinguishable from one another. The refs did the smart thing and just called a TD to appease the rabid heathens.

The second one resulted in a mass of bodies. The first one was pretty freaking clear, to my totally unbiased eyes.

It pisses me off, because think of how rad it would have been for Wilson to throw a Pick 6 from the .25 yard line.

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-30-2015, 10:35 AM
The second one resulted in a mass of bodies. The first one was pretty freaking clear, to my totally unbiased eyes.

It pisses me off, because think of how rad it would have been for Wilson to throw a Pick 6 from the .25 yard line.

Don't be ridiculous. They would have done the smart thing and thrown a screen pass to the outside where the receiver would be tackled three yards deep into the endzone for the safety.

DrumNFeather
10-30-2015, 10:58 AM
Don't be ridiculous. They would have done the smart thing and thrown a screen pass to the outside where the receiver would be tackled three yards deep into the endzone for the safety.

Halfback pass from Booker to Covey for the 99 yard TD.

Mormon Red Death
10-31-2015, 02:11 PM
Did it bother anyone that usc was in their third string center yet WE NEVER PUT ANYONE OVER HIM! Why not put lotulelei over him and just have him blowing up every time

Diehard Ute
10-31-2015, 02:12 PM
Did it bother anyone that usc was in their third string center yet WE NEVER PUT ANYONE OVER HIM! Why not put lotulelei over him and just have him blowing up every time

Their third string center is a 4 star kid. That's where their depth pays off

Mormon Red Death
10-31-2015, 02:50 PM
Their third string center is a 4 star kid. That's where their depth pays off

He's had several bad snaps against cal today

Diehard Ute
10-31-2015, 03:00 PM
He's had several bad snaps against cal today