PDA

View Full Version : Expectations at season's end

LA Ute
11-20-2015, 08:09 AM
I want to see the Utes win out in the regular season and win their bowl game. An 11-1 record [okay, 11-2!] would be fantastic. That is all the Utes can control, and anything else is gravy, I think. What do you all think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LA Ute
11-20-2015, 08:26 AM
11-1 would be miraculous.

Look, I am posting here while walking my dog. Now stop distracting people with meaningless details and tell us what your expectations are! 😀

UTEopia
11-20-2015, 08:54 AM
I hope the Utes win out. I don't know that I can fairly state my hope as an expectation given the loss of Booker.

UtahsMrSports
11-20-2015, 11:00 AM
The BYU media folks (99% of which double as BYU fans) are downright giddy about Booker's injury; in their mind, it makes Vegas a likely destination for us and we would play the Y without Booker! They are pretty trashy individuals.

That said, anyone see a scenario where that could come to fruition?

SeattleUte
11-20-2015, 11:07 AM
I want to see the Utes win out in the regular season and win their bowl game. An 11-1 record [okay, 11-2!] would be fantastic. That is all the Utes can control, and anything else is gravy, I think. What do you all think?

I saw the title of this thread, and then who started the thread, and it gave me a stomach ache. You're such a navel gazer. My god.

DrumNFeather
11-20-2015, 11:12 AM
The BYU media folks (99% of which double as BYU fans) are downright giddy about Booker's injury; in their mind, it makes Vegas a likely destination for us and we would play the Y without Booker! They are pretty trashy individuals.

That said, anyone see a scenario where that could come to fruition?

Well, for one we would have to lose out, which would include losing to a Colorado team that isn't going bowling. Even without Booker I find that hard to believe.

The Vegas Bowl gets the 6th choice of Pac 12 Squads.

So, we would have to probably lose out, and then have Stanford, USC, UCLA, Oregon, and Wazzu all selected ahead of us. Even so, USC plays Oregon and UCLA, so one of those teams takes another loss (or potentially USC takes two losses).

I haven't been through all the permutations, but the first thing that would have to happen would probably be us losing out, and I don't see that happening.

UtahsMrSports
11-20-2015, 01:16 PM
The bowls are:

1) Rose
2) Alamo
3) Holiday
4) Foster Farms
5) Sun
6) Vegas
7) Cactus

The teams are Stanford, USC, Oregon, UCLA, Utah, WSU, Cal, Arizona, and maybe UW and ASU

We could easily fall to 6th with only one more loss. If we lose to UCLA, the pecking order could be Stanford, USC, UCLA, Oregon, WSU, Utah. That could also happen if we beat UCLA but lose to CU.

Plus, this doesn't go by division standings. We could finish ahead of UCLA but still get passed up by the Foster Farms in favor of the Bruins. The Vegas is salivating at BYU/Utah, and will ask Sun to pass on Utah. The Sun would pass on us if they think the other available team is a better draw.

It all depends on what WSU, Oregon, and the rest do, but if we lose even one more game, Vegas is a real possibility.

If we lose them both, I think Vegas is a lock.

This is my fear. After the hot start to the year, the Vegas Bowl would be a BIG letdown.

Lets go out and take care of business the next two weeks and make this a non issue.

LA Ute
11-20-2015, 03:30 PM
I saw the title of this thread, and then who started the thread, and it gave me a stomach ache. You're such a navel gazer. My god.

First, try Pepcid. It works. Second, my gaze is firmly fixed in the Utes' fortunes. Don't project your navel fetish on me. Get some help instead.

mUUser
11-20-2015, 03:31 PM
......downright giddy about Booker's injury; in their mind, it makes Vegas a likely destination for us and we would play the Y without Booker!.......

Not local and don't miss the rivalry. Nice that I can go an entire season without almost no byu talk. No neighbors and few aquaintences have an interest in them. I get off almost scott free.

Sullyute
11-20-2015, 04:02 PM
First, try Pepcid. It works. Second, my gaze is firmly fixed in the Utes' fortunes. Don't project your navel fetish on me. Get some help instead.

I need to thank you and SU for making me laugh this afternoon. It is like watching my grandparents argue with each other.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

LA Ute
11-20-2015, 05:32 PM
I need to thank you and SU for making me laugh this afternoon. It is like watching my grandparents argue with each other.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/20/9601a2ca6a8dd91efb013fcdd826cdb0.jpg

It's kind of how we roll.

DrumNFeather
11-21-2015, 12:42 PM
Peach, Alamo, and Sun Bowl reps at the game.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

UtahsMrSports
11-21-2015, 07:25 PM
Ok, to avoid a potential showdown with BYU, we need to beat Colorado, have USC beat UCLA, and having the huskies beat wazzu would help too. Ugh....

DrumNFeather
11-21-2015, 07:33 PM
Ok, to avoid a potential showdown with BYU, we need to beat Colorado, have USC beat UCLA, and having the huskies beat wazzu would help too. Ugh....

As long as we win, the loser of that game is 5-4 right? So it shouldn't matter, we'd be 5th...so that would look like this:

Stanford
UCLA
Wazzu
Oregon
Utah
USC
ASU
Cal/Arizona/Washington

So, the Foster farms Bowl would have to pick USC over both Utah and Oregon...I'm not sure I see that happening.

UtahsMrSports
11-21-2015, 07:41 PM
As long as we win, the loser of that game is 5-4 right? So it shouldn't matter, we'd be 5th...so that would look like this:

Stanford
UCLA
Wazzu
Oregon
Utah
USC
ASU
Cal/Arizona/Washington

So, the Foster farms Bowl would have to pick USC over both Utah and Oregon...I'm not sure I see that happening.

You are right, i missed that. Beat colorado and we should be out of vegas.

DrumNFeather
11-21-2015, 07:43 PM
You are right, i missed that. Beat colorado and we should be out of vegas.

That would be nice, if for nothing else to get to square off against another P5 opponent from the ACC or Big 10.

UtahsMrSports
11-21-2015, 08:30 PM
My predictions - Stanford, Oregon, WSU win out. Utes and USC win next week. Then I see the following:

Rose: Stanford at 9-1
Alamo: Oregon at 7-2
Holiday: WSU at 7-2
Foster Farms: USC at 6-4
Sun: UCLA at 5-4
Vegas: Utah at 6-3

Others: Cal at 4-5, ASU at 4-5, Zona at 3-6

I think Sun takes UCLA over us because they prefer UCLA and to help the Vegas avoid the BYU/UCLA rematch.

I think we root for UCLA next week over USC, and I think we root hard against WSU vs CU and UW.

Why would they prefer UCLA? And why would they do anything to help Vegas? If a team has a full game on another team can they really choose the lower team? Seems dumb.

Applejack
11-22-2015, 01:55 PM
Why all the twisting logic to avoid BYU? I would love a BYU game in the Vegas Bowl. It would be like last year's bowl game: Utah rolls, non-P5 opponent is crushed, and Kendall Thompson gets some valuable game experience.

DrumNFeather
11-23-2015, 08:24 AM
Bowl Projections after this week:

SB Nation: vs. Wisconsin in the Holiday Bowl

CBS Sports: vs. Wisconsin in the Holiday Bowl

Campus Insiders vs. Michigan in the Holiday Bowl

ESPN

Mark Schlabach - vs. Miami in the Sun Bowl
Brett McMurphy - vs. Penn St. in the Foster Farms Bowl

The one thing to consider is that for a lot of these bowls, Utah would travel very well having never been there before.

LA Ute
11-23-2015, 08:40 AM
An article on the Utah bowl picture from Piper:

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/3214569-155/utah-football-with-pac-12-title-hopes?fullpage=1

Everyone seems to agree that a win over CU on Saturday gets us into a game against a P5 opponent.

http://genderdreaming.com/forum/images/smilies/pray.gif

NorthwestUteFan
11-23-2015, 09:53 PM
Absolutely no legit sportswriters anywhere:
Utah vs. BYU in the Vegas Bowl

:D

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-24-2015, 12:43 AM
It must be mentioned that almost all of these predictions have BYU in the Hawaii Bowl. Which then begs to be pointed out that the Hawaii Bowl kicks off at like 6 p.m. Christmas Eve. A time slot even less fortuitous than last year's Monday morning game.

Brian
11-24-2015, 06:57 AM
An article on the Utah bowl picture from Piper:

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/3214569-155/utah-football-with-pac-12-title-hopes?fullpage=1

Everyone seems to agree that a win over CU on Saturday gets us into a game against a P5 opponent.

Something to play for!

LA Ute
11-24-2015, 07:46 AM
Something to play for!

Yes!

UtahsMrSports
11-24-2015, 07:53 AM
What are the rules for Provo? Does the Vegas get first choice? Does Vegas choose air force or sdsu over Provo? Can you imagine having to play air force chop blocks in a bowl game? Does espn have a say in these bowl selections?

I believe Vegas gets first crack and they can choose BYU or the MWC champion to play the Pac-12 6th place. It won't be BYU versus a MWC team. If Vegas opts to pass (which they almost certainly will if BYU comes up short against Utah State), they automatically go to Hawaii and then will be penciled in for Vegas in 2019.

NorthwestUteFan
11-24-2015, 08:53 AM
All I have to say about that is Go Aggies!!!

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-24-2015, 10:37 AM
Las Vegas Bowl Exec John Saccenti talks possible BYU-Utah match up.

http://kfanav.s3.amazonaws.com/20151124_112415_John-Saccenti-WEB.mp3

NorthwestUteFan
11-24-2015, 12:01 PM
Las Vegas Bowl Exec John Saccenti talks possible BYU-Utah match up.

http://kfanav.s3.amazonaws.com/20151124_112415_John-Saccenti-WEB.mp3

Turn down the invite. There is no reason to pay good money to play that team in that game.

Applejack
11-24-2015, 12:41 PM
Turn down the invite. There is no reason to pay good money to play that team in that game.

:confused: I used to laugh off BYU fans who claimed that we are scared of playing them, but this thread has me rethinking that stance.

If you don;t relish every chance you get to beat the Cougs, I don't know what to tell you.

UtahsMrSports
11-24-2015, 01:34 PM
:confused: I used to laugh off BYU fans who claimed that we are scared of playing them, but this thread has me rethinking that stance.

If you don;t relish every chance you get to beat the Cougs, I don't know what to tell you.

There are a few reasons why I would rather not play the Cougars in the Las Vegas Bowl. We went to Vegas last year. From where we were, it would be a huge gut punch to go to our conference's 6th option for a Bowl game. When you take the season as a whole (assuming we take down the buffs), we deserve better than that. Finally, outside of it being "fun" to beat BYU, there is precious little to gain and a lot to lose.

LA Ute
11-24-2015, 01:55 PM

Beating them by several touchdowns would be a terrific Christmas present. I'd still rather play a P5 conference opponent. Playing BYU in a bowl is like going home to a high school or college reunion with people you'd rather not see.

Scorcho
11-24-2015, 02:26 PM

I'd like to face the best opponent Utah can get, RPI has Utah at 34 and BYU is 36. If BYU is the highest ranked opponent we can get, so be it.

wally
11-24-2015, 02:43 PM
I figure that if the fates line us up against byu in the vegas bowl, maybe some of you will start to believe that this is still our biggest rivalry. Kind of like, even when we try to stay apart the football gods won't let us.

Like it or not (most it seems not) Utah and Byu are eternal rivals. destined to find each other and battle until decapitation, like in the Highlander movie.

Solon
11-24-2015, 02:49 PM
Playing BYU in a bowl is like going home to a high school or college reunion with people you'd rather not see.

Excellent simile.

concerned
11-24-2015, 03:03 PM
Excellent simile.

Yes it is. Given the time of year, it is also like coming home to visit your family for the holidays, and running into everybody you wanted to avoid.

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-24-2015, 03:27 PM
Yes it is. Given the time of year, it is also like coming home to visit your family for the holidays, and running into everybody you wanted to avoid.

The weird cousins!

chrisrenrut
11-24-2015, 03:35 PM
The weird cousins!

Adele can help:

http://youtu.be/e2zyjbH9zzA

NorthwestUteFan
11-24-2015, 03:39 PM

I am not scared to play them, i am bored of playing them. I want to fully enjoy our two-year break because it will likely never come again. Some future AD will find a way to squeeze them into the schedule in the two years we play Baylor OOC.

And don't forget that we will play them at RES barely 9 months after the bowl game.

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-24-2015, 03:44 PM
I am not scared to play them, i am bored of playing them. I want to fully enjoy our two-year break because it will likely never come again. Some future AD will find a way to squeeze them into the schedule in the two years we play Baylor OOC.

And don't forget that we will play them at RES barely 9 months after the bowl game.

That would make a great baby story. Conceived and birthed because of the rivalry.

NorthwestUteFan
11-24-2015, 04:01 PM
Playing BYU in a bowl is like going home to a high school or college reunion with people you'd rather not see.

I am in Utah this week, and ran into an old flame at Harmons today. She was as charming and beautiful as ever, and she gave me the smile that used to make my knees weak. We talked about life for a minute, what our kids are up to, etc., then went happily on our respective ways comfortable with the seperate directions life has taken us.

That is how I felt playing CSU last year. We are at different places now, and we are both comfortable with that.

BYU is more like the kid who was in the adjacent locker. He tried to get me to sell the latest and greatest MLM every time we bumped into one another. NuSkin, Melaleuca, SuperDooperJuice, whatever. I worry he will try to sell me DoTerra oils if I bump into him again.

It should be readily apparent which one I want to accidentally meet.

NorthwestUteFan
11-24-2015, 04:03 PM
That would make a great baby story. Conceived and birthed because of the rivalry.

Some surprises are not happy surprises.

Redbird
11-25-2015, 02:23 AM
I figure that if the fates line us up against byu in the vegas bowl, maybe some of you will start to believe that this is still our biggest rivalry. Kind of like, even when we try to stay apart the football gods won't let us.

:confused: our biggest rivalry is this week.

NorthwestUteFan
11-25-2015, 02:56 AM
:confused: our biggest rivalry is this week.

No kidding. It is time to become a man, and to put away childish things.

DrumNFeather
11-27-2015, 02:56 PM
Washington is up on Wazzu 17-3. If they hang on and we win that should help our bowl prospects, I would think.

Mormon Red Death
11-27-2015, 03:21 PM
Washington is up on Wazzu 17-3. If they hang on and we win that should help our bowl prospects, I would think.

If wash wins and we win holiday bowl.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

LA Ute
11-27-2015, 04:43 PM
If wash wins and we win holiday bowl.

37-10 UW now. So the Utes have something extra to play for tomorrow. Maybe we shouldn't tell them.

UTEopia
11-28-2015, 04:49 PM
I have lost my passion for Utah football. Today was the first time I have simply not wanted to go to a home game since I missed the Utah/AFA game in one of Mac's years when the Utes scored two TD's in the last minute or so to win. This team has exceeded my expectations from a W/L perspective, but they just aren't very much fun to watch.

It will be an interesting offseason. I don't expect Whit to go anywhere. I would expect Stubblefield to go. Not sure any other changes will happen unless guys decide to go elsewhere.

LA Ute
11-28-2015, 05:03 PM
I have lost my passion for Utah football. Today was the first time I have simply not wanted to go to a home game since I missed the Utah/AFA game in one of Mac's years when the Utes scored two TD's in the last minute or so to win. This team has exceeded my expectations from a W/L perspective, but they just aren't very much fun to watch.

It will be an interesting offseason. I don't expect Whit to go anywhere. I would expect Stubblefield to go. Not sure any other changes will happen unless guys decide to go elsewhere.

I began to feel the same way today but we dragged ourselves to the game and had fun. Part of the reason for that was that our expectations were low. We just tried to enjoy the atmosphere and the freezing cold and cheer for the Utes. It was a pretty ugly game but most of them this year have been. It's who we are right now. Time for basketball and a bowl game.

DrumNFeather
11-28-2015, 06:47 PM
Early returns suggest Holiday or Foster Farms.

Mormon Red Death
11-28-2015, 07:15 PM
Early returns suggest Holiday or Foster Farms.

Very Outside shot a at the Fiesta bowl as well

Mormon Red Death
11-28-2015, 09:21 PM
How about this scenario. Mich st loses to Iowa. Stanford beats usc and makes the playoff. Rose Bowl has to choose between 3 loss Oregon (rematch with Mich st) 5 loss usc, 4 loss wash st or Utah.

UTEopia
11-28-2015, 09:49 PM
As I understand the bowl scenario, the Rose, Alamo, Holiday and Foster Farms pick in that order, but are allowed to pick any team within 1 conference win of the teams above it. The Sun, Vegas and Cactus do not have that flexibility and must pick according to record. Under that scenario, there are 6 teams available for 4 slots:

Stanford: 8-1
Oregon: 7-2
USC: 6-3
Utah: 6-3
Wazzu: 6-3
UCLA: 5-4

Personally, I don't see the Utes being selected over any of those teams with the exception of Wazzu and even that is questionable given that Wazzu is at least entertaining offensively. It is possible that Oregon will be selected for an NY6 bowl and Stanford for the Rose Bowl. If that were to happen, the Holiday Bowl seems the most likely.

concerned
11-28-2015, 10:01 PM
Lots of sets today with Joe Wiliams, Tyrone Smith, McClellan, Repp, Kenric Young, Handley, Singleton.

How do you think their audition went? Any optimism for next year?

Mormon Red Death
11-28-2015, 10:12 PM
As I understand the bowl scenario, the Rose, Alamo, Holiday and Foster Farms pick in that order, but are allowed to pick any team within 1 conference win of the teams above it. The Sun, Vegas and Cactus do not have that flexibility and must pick according to record. Under that scenario, there are 6 teams available for 4 slots:

Stanford: 8-1
Oregon: 7-2
USC: 6-3
Utah: 6-3
Wazzu: 6-3
UCLA: 5-4

Personally, I don't see the Utes being selected over any of those teams with the exception of Wazzu and even that is questionable given that Wazzu is at least entertaining offensively. It is possible that Oregon will be selected for an NY6 bowl and Stanford for the Rose Bowl. If that were to happen, the Holiday Bowl seems the most likely.

from the playoff website.

Select the top four teams for the playoff, rank them and assign them to semifinal sites.
Rank the next group of teams to play in other New Year’s bowls if berth are available.
Select the highest-ranked champion from the five conferences without New Year’s bowl contracts.
Assign teams to New Year’s bowls

Create competitive matchups
Attempt to avoid rematches of regular-season games and repeat appearances
Consider geography

Rocker Ute
11-29-2015, 07:53 AM
So this last game I decided to watch a lot of WR routes versus actual game action and it was kind of revealing. Routes seemed sloppy, off play routes were often half-hearted, blocking was invariably pretty bad. Yet often there were guys wide open while Wilson threw into double and triple coverage or scrambled around looking for a specific pass. It seems Wilson has some trouble with field vision and checking down his receivers.

The questions for me then were, "Was it because of the cold? Was it because they knew they weren't going to get any passes? Was it because they don't have confidence in Wilson to actually get them the ball? Was it because it is the end of the season and nothing left to play for? Was it because it was mostly new guys? Was it because of poor coaching?"

My conclusion: all of the above. We really need a strong WR coach, maybe more than a QB coach as it seems we do have some athletes on the field. On many occasions they seemed to struggle to get separation although many seem pretty fast. They seemed to struggle to get their coverage in a place they could receive too. When they did get separation or position it either went unnoticed by the QB or the pass wasn't where it needed to be.

I would say our o-line and running game is good, it is harmed by our passing game. Decent passing game (and I'm now in the camp that indicts QB and WR play) and we can be a mostly defensive team with some heavy run schemes type of program. But nobody really needs to play us honest and everybody involved in the pass game and defending it seemed to know it.

UTEopia
11-29-2015, 08:12 AM
Two scenarios that improve our bowl slot:

1) Clemson loses to UNC and/or Bama loses to Florida. Stanford beats USC. The Cards might sneak into the playoff under that scenario (or maybe UNC passes them). Then Oregon goes to the Rose, and the Alamo and Holiday have to sort through Utah, USC, and WSU.

2) USC beats Stanford, but Stanford only falls to #11. Cards to the Fiesta, USC to the Rose, and the Alamo and Holiday have to sort through Oregon, WSU, and Utah.

I believe you need to add UCLA to the mix because they are only 1 game behind WSU, Utah and USC with a conference record of 5-4.

DrumNFeather
11-29-2015, 08:18 AM
So this last game I decided to watch a lot of WR routes versus actual game action and it was kind of revealing. Routes seemed sloppy, off play routes were often half-hearted, blocking was invariably pretty bad. Yet often there were guys wide open while Wilson threw into double and triple coverage or scrambled around looking for a specific pass. It seems Wilson has some trouble with field vision and checking down his receivers.

The questions for me then were, "Was it because of the cold? Was it because they knew they weren't going to get any passes? Was it because they don't have confidence in Wilson to actually get them the ball? Was it because it is the end of the season and nothing left to play for? Was it because it was mostly new guys? Was it because of poor coaching?"

My conclusion: all of the above. We really need a strong WR coach, maybe more than a QB coach as it seems we do have some athletes on the field. On many occasions they seemed to struggle to get separation although many seem pretty fast. They seemed to struggle to get their coverage in a place they could receive too. When they did get separation or position it either went unnoticed by the QB or the pass wasn't where it needed to be.

I would say our o-line and running game is good, it is harmed by our passing game. Decent passing game (and I'm now in the camp that indicts QB and WR play) and we can be a mostly defensive team with some heavy run schemes type of program. But nobody really needs to play us honest and everybody involved in the pass game and defending it seemed to know it.

One criticism of RGIII out here when folks were working to get him benched was that he waits for his receivers to win before he makes the throw, rather than anticipating a route or forcing a guy to make a play. Wilson is very much the same way. Even on the TD pass, he waited until Scott had clearly won.

LA Ute
11-29-2015, 08:28 AM

Good post.

USS Utah
11-29-2015, 11:01 AM

The biggest departures from last year's team were Dres Anderson and Kaelin Clay. Britain Covey was a breath of fresh air, but we clearly missed those two WRs and no one came close to filling their shoes.

Solon
11-29-2015, 10:10 PM
The biggest departures from last year's team were Dres Anderson and Kaelin Clay. Britain Covey was a breath of fresh air, but we clearly missed those two WRs and no one came close to filling their shoes.

I think Wilson makes up his mind where to throw it before the play unfolds (or he is being told where to throw it). Maybe he looks to a check-down/backup receiver, but I don't think he is going into the play open-minded.

Same with run "option." Wilson could've/should've kept the ball several times.

Just my opinion.

GarthUte
11-30-2015, 07:51 AM
I think Wilson makes up his mind where to throw it before the play unfolds (or he is being told where to throw it). Maybe he looks to a check-down/backup receiver, but I don't think he is going into the play open-minded.

Same with run "option." Wilson could've/should've kept the ball several times.

Just my opinion.

Agreed. If we look at how the Utes were playing before the USC game, Wilson was running with the ball more which helped Booker because the defense had to commit to stopping one or the other. He was also checking down on receivers and throwing to the open man. Everything changed during the USC game. He stopped running and focused on only one receiver, which made it easier for defenses to know to whom he was going to throw the ball.

LA Ute
11-30-2015, 10:35 AM
Agreed. If we look at how the Utes were playing before the USC game, Wilson was running with the ball more which helped Booker because the defense had to commit to stopping one or the other. He was also checking down on receivers and throwing to the open man. Everything changed during the USC game. He stopped running and focused on only one receiver, which made it easier for defenses to know to whom he was going to throw the ball.

This got me thinking. I won't miss watching Wilson play, but I will miss his warrior mentality, determination and toughness, and I'll remember him fondly. He'll be remembered as a uniquely great Ute. The Wilson I'll remember is the one who drove down the field with time expiring and beat USC. That was an unforgettable night.

I am sure Travis will have a great and successful life. I hope he stays in touch with the program. Warts and all, he's the QB who brought us into PAC-12 respectability against great personal adversity. We all owe him our gratitude.

GarthUte
11-30-2015, 05:37 PM
This got me thinking. I won't miss watching Wilson play, but I will miss his warrior mentality, determination and toughness, and I'll remember him fondly. He'll be remembered as a uniquely great Ute. The Wilson I'll remember is the one who drove down the field with time expiring and beat USC. That was an unforgettable night.

I am sure Travis will have a great and successful life. I hope he stays in touch with the program. Warts and all, he's the QB who brought us into PAC-12 respectability against great personal adversity. We all owe him our gratitude.

Wilson isn't a great QB, but he got the job done. I wouldn't say he always had a warrior mentality, but he did when he wasn't afraid to run the ball. I really wonder what his problem was the last half of the season. He seemed afraid to run, which I don't understand at all. The bowl game will be his last game. Ever. He's not good enough to play after college. One could reasonably think that he knew that he won't be playing after this season (he has to know that), and would want to leave it all on the field every game.

He's a good guy and like you, I wish him well in whatever he does in life. I just hope that in the bowl game we get the Wilson who played against Oregon and not the Wilson who played against USC.

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-30-2015, 06:23 PM
Wilson isn't a great QB, but he got the job done. I wouldn't say he always had a warrior mentality, but he did when he wasn't afraid to run the ball. I really wonder what his problem was the last half of the season. He seemed afraid to run, which I don't understand at all. The bowl game will be his last game. Ever. He's not good enough to play after college. One could reasonably think that he knew that he won't be playing after this season (he has to know that), and would want to leave it all on the field every game.

He's a good guy and like you, I wish him well in whatever he does in life. I just hope that in the bowl game we get the Wilson who played against Oregon and not the Wilson who played against USC.

Don't sell the man short! He's totally committed to play in the NFLPA Collegiate bowl. So yeah.

As for him being afraid to run, I wonder if his shoulder just bothered him the whole season. He "definitely" seem to have lost the careless abandon.

Applejack
11-30-2015, 06:42 PM
Don't sell the man short! He's totally committed to play in the NFLPA Collegiate bowl. So yeah.

As for him being afraid to run, I wonder if his shoulder just bothered him the whole season. He "definitely" seem to have lost the careless abandon.
He was afraid of contact all season, not just when we were winning. Watch the Oregon game again: he's so worried about getting tackled that he forgets to run towards the end zone.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

NorthwestUteFan
11-30-2015, 07:12 PM
He was afraid of contact all season, not just when we were winning. Watch the Oregon game again: he's so worried about getting tackled that he forgets to run towards the end zone.

It is a good thing, too. Had he 'left it all in the field' in the Oregon game and been injured and lost for the season, then how would our season have turned out? Does anybody think Kendal Thompson would beat Cal, ASU, UW, or even Colorado? How about UA, USC, or UCLA? I think 1-6 or 2-5 is more likely over that stretch without TW.

Applejack
11-30-2015, 08:05 PM
It is a good thing, too. Had he 'left it all in the field' in the Oregon game and been injured and lost for the season, then how would our season have turned out? Does anybody think Kendal Thompson would beat Cal, ASU, UW, or even Colorado? How about UA, USC, or UCLA? I think 1-6 or 2-5 is more likely over that stretch without TW.
No, I am not criticizing Travis at all. I think he played hurt all year.

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-30-2015, 09:33 PM

The Oregon game was his first game back after missing the Fresno State game due to injuring his shoulder in the Utah State game. Of course he was favoring it that game. Reports were that he could barely move his left arm that week.