PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Carousel 2015

Pages : [1] 2

DrumNFeather
11-23-2015, 10:42 AM
Reports on ESPN suggest that LSU Boosters are prepared to buy out Les Miles. While I think that is probably an idiotic move, it signals yet another potential job opening to add to the following list (in order of relevancy):

USC
Miami
South Carolina
Va. Tech
Missouri
Maryland
UCF
Illinois
Iowa St.
North Texas
Hawaii
Louisiana Monroe

There will be plenty of others, including Virginia as the season winds down. We'll keep this list going as there may be some impact to either our program or coaches with ties to our program.

DrumNFeather
11-23-2015, 11:12 AM
I'd move Mizzou up and Miami down. And of course LSU would go to #2.

Where does Les end up? Fun coach. Is Gary Patterson available? Is Art Briles?

I made a comment when the USC job opened up that they should contact Miles. I still wouldn't be surprised (assuming they don't name Helton as their coach).

The rankings weren't mine, I snagged them off of SB Nation when I was looking for the list.

U-Ute
11-23-2015, 01:21 PM
Les Miles reportedly to hold a meeting with his team this afternoon.

http://www.nola.com/recruiting/index.ssf/2015/11/les_miles_to_hold_special_meet.html

EDIT: Boosters reported ready to buy out his contract (http://espn.go.com/ncf/story/_/id/14204487/good-possibility-lsu-tigers-buyout-les-miles-contract-source?ex_cid=sportscenterTW).

NorthwestUteFan
11-23-2015, 03:01 PM
Les Miles reportedly to hold a meeting with his team this afternoon.

http://www.nola.com/recruiting/index.ssf/2015/11/les_miles_to_hold_special_meet.html

EDIT: Boosters reported ready to buy out his contract (http://espn.go.com/ncf/story/_/id/14204487/good-possibility-lsu-tigers-buyout-les-miles-contract-source?ex_cid=sportscenterTW).

Kyle Whittingham would win like crazy with LSU talent. Strong D, strong running game, etc. Throw in some SEC speed at WR and a passable QB who can run a bit and go through the reads, and he would happily plow through much of that schedule.

concerned
11-23-2015, 03:13 PM
Kyle Whittingham would win like crazy with LSU talent. Strong D, strong running game, etc. Throw in some SEC speed at WR and a passable QB who can run a bit and go through the reads, and he would happily plow through much of that schedule.

Kyle Wittingham is Les Miles. Their complaints about Miles are the same as ours -- strong defense, crappy qb, no passing game. KW couldn't beat Alabama any more than Miles could.

SeattleUte
11-23-2015, 03:17 PM
Kyle Wittingham is Les Miles. Their complaints about Miles are the same as ours -- strong defense, crappy qb, no passing game. KW couldn't beat Alabama any more than Miles could.

Shirley you recognize that recruiting at Utah is not the same as recruiting at LSU; and the competition is comparable.

Irving Washington
11-23-2015, 03:28 PM

I could have sworn that Kyle was 1-0 against Saban and Alabama. Silly me.

concerned
11-23-2015, 03:28 PM
Shirley you recognize that recruiting at Utah is not the same as recruiting at LSU; and the competition is comparable.

Shirley you recognize the similarities between Miles and Wittingham, and the strengths and weaknesses of each program.

Applejack
11-24-2015, 08:12 AM
Of all those openings or rumored openings, I think Kyle definitely takes only LSU and USC. But I'm guessing they don't offer.

DrumNFeather
11-24-2015, 08:19 AM
Of all those openings or rumored openings, I think Kyle definitely takes only LSU and USC. But I'm guessing they don't offer.

Someone tweeted last night that Kyle was on LSU's list...which, if they are looking for someone with more offense, I'm not sure why Kyle is your guy. I love Kyle, but an offensive guru he is not.

NorthwestUteFan
11-24-2015, 08:43 AM
Kyle's offense would be amazing with improved personnel. I don't understand why people can't see this. In fact, many people DO see this and blame our poor play on the weaknesses of individual players, point the finger at Kyle as the problem, without taking the next step to accept the inherent weakness that comes with recruiting to Utah.

The matchip vs USC demonstrated this perfectly, as USC has 3 times as many 5* recruits as Utah has 4*, and more 4* than we had 3*. Their 3rd stringers were mire highly ranked than most of our starters.

Kyle's weakness isn't offensive philosophy, it is more closely related to the inability to recruit top level QBs and WRs. And yes, that is related to OC turnover. But the OCs were trying to match a scheme to fit our personnel. If they were recruiting to LSU it would be an entirely different story.

Also, didn't Kyle live in New Orleans for a while while Fred played or coached for the Saints?

NorthwestUteFan
11-24-2015, 08:47 AM
Oh, and he probably needs to find a real QB coach with success coaching QBs at the P5 level. That would be one of the biggest hires of the offseason.

I wish he could see that.

concerned
11-24-2015, 08:50 AM
You all think KW is a much better recruiter than Miles, or would be? Miles is a great recruiter, and has been every where he has coached. KW may be on LSU's list, but given their dissatisfaction with their offense, I cant believe the fan base would be happy with a coach whose offense has never ranked higher than 11th in the Pac 12. If they are going to the trouble and $$ of buying out Miles, they will want a big name, home run hire I would guess.

P.S. It would be fascinating to see who KW hired as his OC at LSU. maybe he could bring in Sark to engage in a chess match with Kiffen.

DrumNFeather
11-24-2015, 09:53 AM
Kyle's offense would be amazing with improved personnel. I don't understand why people can't see this. In fact, many people DO see this and blame our poor play on the weaknesses of individual players, point the finger at Kyle as the problem, without taking the next step to accept the inherent weakness that comes with recruiting to Utah.

The matchip vs USC demonstrated this perfectly, as USC has 3 times as many 5* recruits as Utah has 4*, and more 4* than we had 3*. Their 3rd stringers were mire highly ranked than most of our starters.

Kyle's weakness isn't offensive philosophy, it is more closely related to the inability to recruit top level QBs and WRs. And yes, that is related to OC turnover. But the OCs were trying to match a scheme to fit our personnel. If they were recruiting to LSU it would be an entirely different story.

Also, didn't Kyle live in New Orleans for a while while Fred played or coached for the Saints?

The potential certainly exists for the offense to be good, no question (See the Oregon game). I feel like there's a massive inconsistency in play calling game to game that in my belief is what has created the problem with our offense, particularly in the last two games. There have to...have to be ways to scheme to get guys open, and we just don't seem to be able to do that very well. Now, I actually don't put as much of that on Kyle as other's do. I would have really liked to see more film and game planning sessions during this season of "The Drive." The first episode where Kyle is trying to get answers about QB production...I would have loved to see more of that.

Redbird
11-25-2015, 02:14 AM
I could have sworn that Kyle was 1-0 against Saban and Alabama. Silly me.

Yeah, and Ron McBride is 1-0 against Pete Carroll and USC. Sample size.

concerned
11-25-2015, 07:32 AM
Yeah, and Ron McBride is 1-0 against Pete Carroll and USC. Sample size.

Miles has beaten Alabama 5 times, and Saban 3 times, but not since 2011. He has lost 5 straight.

Miles won the national championship in 2007, and lost the national championship game in 2012 (to Alabama).

KW will do significantly better?

LA Ute
11-27-2015, 11:21 AM
I heard Brian Swinney say Wednesday that he thinks Utah will hire a QB coach for next season, probably someone who has played the position. He could see Stubblefield moving on (so can I) and A-Rod taking over the WR coaching while remaining co-OC, if he stays around. So if that happens, who'd be the QB coach? Brandon Doman's name was mentioned, as was Scott Mitchell's. How about Jordan Wynn? Just spitballin' here, guys.

UBlender
11-27-2015, 11:25 AM
I heard Brian Swinney say Wednesday that he thinks Utah will hire a QB coach for next season, probably someone who has played the position. He could see Stubblefield moving on (so can I) and A-Rod taking over the WR coaching while remaining co-OC, if he stays around. So if that happens, who'd be the QB coach? Brandon Doman's name was mentioned, as was Scott Mitchell's. How about Jordan Wynn? Just spitballin' here, guys.

Not sold on Doman as a coach and would want someone with more experience at a higher level than Mitchell and Wynn. I would hope we'd go outside the family and get a little more experience and maybe a little more recruiting impact.

LA Ute
11-27-2015, 11:41 AM
Not sold on Doman as a coach and would want someone with more experience at a higher level than Mitchell and Wynn. I would hope we'd go outside the family and get a little more experience and maybe a little more recruiting impact.

My thought was that Doman would still be at BYU if he were an effective coach. Mitchell has coached only at the high school level. Not sure what has become of Jordan at Hawaii. I'd love to see KW reach outside the family.

EDIT: Wynn is a GA at Fresno State under Schramm. Was he on the sideline when we played FSU?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UTEopia
11-27-2015, 12:14 PM

I hope we could do better then any of these guys. I don't have any names to add to the list, but I would look at QB coaches currently with G5 schools. The main difficulty is that the QB coach is typically also the OC. I don't think a coordinator at a G5 school takes a position coach job at Utah.

concerned
11-27-2015, 12:29 PM
there is always Dave Schramm

DrumNFeather
11-28-2015, 11:56 AM
I'm not sure he'd come for a QB coach position, but Steve Fairchild should be available when Mike London gets fired at Virginia.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Redbird
11-29-2015, 10:30 AM
Mike London at UVA and Mark Richt at UGA are fired. I think UGA is the 2nd or 3rd-best job opening so far. That division's ripe for the taking, and Georgia has a ton of resources. Richt is a quality coach, I think he just got stale in the program.

DrumNFeather
11-29-2015, 10:42 AM
Mike London at UVA and Mark Richt at UGA are fired. I think UGA is the 2nd or 3rd-best job opening so far. That division's ripe for the taking, and Georgia has a ton of resources. Richt is a quality coach, I think he just got stale in the program.
If I'm UVA I scoop Richt up. Personality wise, it's a good fit.

Redbird
11-29-2015, 10:46 AM
If I'm UVA I scoop Richt up. Personality wise, it's a good fit.

I could see him staying in the SEC East with SoCar. He's also an interesting name for USC. Any which way you look at it, he won't be unemployed for long.

Redbird
11-29-2015, 12:35 PM
Fuente to VaTech, and now the rumors are Tom Herman to UGA. I'm surprised it's not Kirby Smart.

Applejack
11-29-2015, 01:27 PM
Yes to qb coach, but no to those three. Doman was never a qb; he was a wildcat rb.

I'd be OK with a Doman hire, and here's why. The guy is apparently an excellent recruiter, having secured the #1 QB commit (who sucked, but that's beside the point). We could use a recruiter at the QB coach spot to convince recruits that Utah is a fine place to quarterback. I know next to nothing about his coaching abilty, but his recruiting ability alone would make him an improvement over what has come before him.

LA Ute
11-29-2015, 02:03 PM
IŽll be surprised if Stubblefield is still at Utah next season.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
11-29-2015, 06:27 PM
Yes to qb coach, but no to those three. Doman was never a qb; he was a wildcat rb.

Doman isn't a good coach, that should be your reason. His "wildcat" year he completed 64% of his passes for 3500 yards and 35 TDs. No reason to make things up when good reasons exist.

LA Ute
11-29-2015, 08:05 PM
Doman isn't a good coach, that should be your reason. His "wildcat" year he completed 64% of his passes for 3500 yards and 35 TDs. No reason to make things up when good reasons exist.

I guess that if he were a good coach he'd still be coaching at BYU.

DrumNFeather
11-30-2015, 08:42 AM
USC removes the interim tag from Clay Helton.

DrumNFeather
11-30-2015, 08:59 AM
Wow. I guess next year is the real try out for him? This seems pretty good from a Ute fan perspective.

What if he gets steamrolled by Stanford?

He still has a South Division Co-Championship to hang his hat on.

Redbird
11-30-2015, 10:21 AM
Smart by VT to get it going early. There are so many job openings. I think Fuente could have had something better.

I'd probably prefer UGA to VaTech, but what's the next-best opening? South Carolina is a tough place to win. Miami is dysfunctional. Missouri has a ways to go to be competitive. VaTech has a lot of resources in a winnable division in a winnable conference.

mUUser
11-30-2015, 12:17 PM
USC is a top 5 job. Crazy they're letting a coordinator cut his teeth on this job.

mUUser
11-30-2015, 12:26 PM
I'd probably prefer UGA to VaTech, but what's the next-best opening? South Carolina is a tough place to win. Miami is dysfunctional. Missouri has a ways to go to be competitive. VaTech has a lot of resources in a winnable division in a winnable conference.

VA Tech is an awesome football experience. They won't can you after a 9 win season, and don't have to fight for local recruits as hard. The downside is they will pay a mill less than UGA.

Applejack
11-30-2015, 12:28 PM
USC is a top 5 job. Crazy they're letting a coordinator cut his teeth on this job.

Yup, he might be successful, but he might not. Someone like Chip Kelly would have given me nightmares of wrapping up the South by week 6. Helton could flounder for a couple of years.

Or he could be great.

DrumNFeather
11-30-2015, 12:44 PM
Yup, he might be successful, but he might not. Someone like Chip Kelly would have given me nightmares of wrapping up the South by week 6. Helton could flounder for a couple of years.

Or he could be great.

He did well with the "us against the world" mentality this year. It will be interesting to see how he handles being the overwhelming favorite.

UTEopia
12-01-2015, 07:31 AM
Scott Frost to ucf. Any winning at all is an improvement.

Any chance Oregon poaches one of our ocs to replace him?

I would say no.

U-Ute
12-01-2015, 07:47 AM
I don't know. They gotta remember those trick plays we ran against them.

Weren't they all special teams plays?

DrumNFeather
12-02-2015, 06:26 AM
Kirby Smart to Georgia "very likely," after the SEC Championship.

NorthwestUteFan
12-03-2015, 07:35 AM
Mark Richt to Miami. I think that is a good hire.

Mormon Red Death
12-04-2015, 03:29 PM
Bronco to UVA

https://twitter.com/UVa_Football/status/672903804531134464?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

mUUser
12-04-2015, 03:34 PM
Bronco to UVA

https://twitter.com/UVa_Football/status/672903804531134464?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

I was thinking Richt was a good fit for Virginia. My gut tells me Bronco is a good fit as well.

DrumNFeather
12-04-2015, 03:39 PM
Wow

Sullyute
12-04-2015, 03:45 PM
I guess Bronco didn't want to lose to Whitt one more time.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

concerned
12-04-2015, 03:46 PM
Now we will get an answer to the burning question I have wondered about for years: If you take Bronco out of the Y, is he a real person and not an automoton. It will be interesting to see what he is like when football no longer is the fifth priority. At lease i assume he is not going to tell that to boosters, players, and recruits.

Although UVA does have a pretty strict honor code, at least as to honesty.

LA Ute
12-04-2015, 03:48 PM
Virginia hires BYU's Bronco Mendenhall as new football coach (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/acc/2015/12/04/virginia-hires-bronco-mendenhall-byu/76801394/)

So does Kalani go there now? Does Taysom Hill come to Utah? Does BYU de-emphasize football? Does Robert Anae get promoted?

LA Ute
12-04-2015, 03:48 PM
Now we will get an answer to the burning question I have wondered about for years: If you take Bronco out of the Y, is he a real person and not an automoton. It will be interesting to see what he is like when football no longer is the fifth priority. At lease i assume he is not going to tell that to boosters, players, and recruits.

I was thinking the same thing.

concerned
12-04-2015, 03:50 PM
I wonder if you can read into this Bronco's belief that the Y is not going to get into a P-5 conference and escape independence purgatory. It cant be fun playing all your P-5 games in Sept. on the road.

LA Ute
12-04-2015, 03:56 PM
I am sure that question will come up at a press conference, if there is one.

mUUser
12-04-2015, 03:56 PM
Virginia hires BYU's Bronco Mendenhall as new football coach (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/acc/2015/12/04/virginia-hires-bronco-mendenhall-byu/76801394/)

So does Kalani go there now? Does Taysom Hill come to Utah? Does BYU de-emphasize football? Does Robert Anae get promoted?

I'm not plugged into the LDS coaching community so have no clue who might be on the short list, but seems to me Kalani would be disappointing low hanging fruit. Can't imagine he would fire up the fan base.

I'd think there's a 0% chance Taysom transfers to Utah as he appears to have high career ambitions, perhaps pursuing a world-class MBA. In that vein, UVA makes tons of sense, as does Northwestern, Duke, Michigan etc..... Wonder if Stanford would consider him given his transfer years ago.

The other thing that strikes me is that given their schedule next season, which appears to be loaded with quality teams, the change to a new HC couldn't have come at a worse time. They're poised to take a beating next year.

UTEopia
12-04-2015, 04:13 PM

I was told that Anae was promised the HC job when Bronco leaves. Bronco did everything he could to get another job last year but it did not come together. If Holmoe sticks with the promise, Anae will be HC. I could see him making a play for Kalani, but I don't think Kalani leaves Gary after 1 year.

wally
12-04-2015, 04:18 PM

Bronco will have a visible tattoo within 2 years. take it to the bank.

GarthUte
12-04-2015, 04:25 PM

Taysom Hill to Utah? Why would he do that? He's a BYU guy

LA Ute
12-04-2015, 04:25 PM
I'm not plugged into the LDS coaching community so have no clue who might be on the short list, but seems to me Kalani would be disappointing low hanging fruit. Can't imagine he would fire up the fan base.

I'd think there's a 0% chance Taysom transfers to Utah as he appears to have high career ambitions, perhaps pursuing a world-class MBA. In that vein, UVA makes tons of sense, as does Northwestern, Duke, Michigan etc..... Wonder if Stanford would consider him given his transfer years ago.

The other thing that strikes me is that given their schedule next season, which appears to be loaded with quality teams, the change to a new HC couldn't have come at a worse time. They're poised to take a beating next year.

It would be weird for him to play at Utah anyway. I was joking about that, just for the record. It'll be interesting to see who wants that job. Looks like Anae does.

Applejack
12-04-2015, 04:30 PM
Here's how I would rate the candidates likelihood of getting the job:

1. Anae
2. Ken N (Navy head coach)
3. Anderson (Stanford D-coordinator)
4. Sitake

wally
12-04-2015, 04:31 PM
It would be weird for him to play at Utah anyway. I was joking about that, just for the record. It'll be interesting to see who wants that job. Looks like Anae does.

LOL! The Coach Anae show will be AMAZING radio for the cougar faithful, haha!

LA Ute
12-04-2015, 04:33 PM
When do the Whit to BYU rumors start? :D

wally
12-04-2015, 04:34 PM
I guess Bronco didn't want to lose to Whitt one more time.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Maybe he does? per Holmo:
"He has a strong desire to complete this season and will coach our team at the Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl......

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=37629022&nid=272&title=bronco-mendenhall-named-head-coach-at-virginia&fm=home_page&s_cid=topstory

wally
12-04-2015, 04:36 PM
When do the Whit to BYU rumors start? :D

Did they stop? Hey-O!!

Scratch
12-04-2015, 04:38 PM
My guesses in order of likelihood:

Anderson
Sitake
Niumatalolo
Anae
Raeder, with Breaker as O-Coordinator and Cutter as D-Coordinator

U-Ute
12-04-2015, 04:45 PM

Anderson
Sitake
Niumatalolo
Anae

I don't think they can afford Nuimatalolo. He's making $2M+.

GarthUte
12-04-2015, 04:48 PM

Anderson
Sitake
Niumatalolo
Anae

I can't think of a reason that Niumatalolo would leave Navy.

LA Ute
12-04-2015, 04:49 PM
I don't think they can afford Nuimatalolo. He's making $2M+.

It would be interesting to see how a wishbone flexbone coach would fare at BYU.

concerned
12-04-2015, 04:56 PM
It would be interesting to see how a wishbone flexbone coach would fare at BYU.

I can't imagine that the fan base would accept it. Their whole identity is quarterback u and the passing attack. Most don't even like gfgh.

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-04-2015, 05:15 PM
It's a good thing that we have a strong track record playing teams with transitional coaching situations.

GarthUte
12-04-2015, 05:27 PM
It's a good thing that we have a strong track record playing teams with transitional coaching situations.

That's kind of like a :groin:

GarthUte
12-04-2015, 05:29 PM
Wow, this is real? I've been in solid meetings since lunch.

What a great thing for BYU football! They were never going to be great with Bronco, and they were never going to be low enough to justify firing him. I think UVa could have done much better. We'll see. If I'm a BYU fan, I'm doing cartwheels.

So, the list.

Anae - makes a lot of sense, probably an upgrade over Bronco
Anderson, Lance - I know nothing about him except that he steals our recruits. I'd be happy for him to not be in Palo Alto anymore.
Anderson, Gary - He's probably in that "what did I get myself into" mode about Corvalis by now. Not sure he'd being willing to move down to G5.
Coach Ken - Is he really married to the triple option, or does he run it just because that's what you have to do at Navy? Maybe he would interview and say "I'd leave the offensive system intact with Anae." I don't know why we think BYU doesn't pay a lot. How does anyone know? Coach Ken can probably hold out for a better job, though.
Sitake - Solid hire. I think he'd do a great job.

I don't think Gary Andersen is LDS. If he is, he's not active.

concerned
12-04-2015, 05:32 PM
Oops. Cross him off my list.

Catholic if anything. Kids went to Juan diego

SeattleUte
12-04-2015, 06:19 PM
Wow, this is real? I've been in solid meetings since lunch.

What a great thing for BYU football! They were never going to be great with Bronco, and they were never going to be low enough to justify firing him. I think UVa could have done much better. We'll see. If I'm a BYU fan, I'm doing cartwheels.

So, the list.

Anae - makes a lot of sense, probably an upgrade over Bronco
Anderson, Lance - I know nothing about him except that he steals our recruits. I'd be happy for him to not be in Palo Alto anymore.
Anderson, Gary - He's probably in that "what did I get myself into" mode about Corvalis by now. Not sure he'd being willing to move down to G5.
Coach Ken - Is he really married to the triple option, or does he run it just because that's what you have to do at Navy? Maybe he would interview and say "I'd leave the offensive system intact with Anae." I don't know why we think BYU doesn't pay a lot. How does anyone know? Coach Ken can probably hold out for a better job, though.
Sitake - Solid hire. I think he'd do a great job.

You must be kidding. Nobody as good as Bronco will have anything to do with them. They're screwed. That job is not attractive any more, with Utah in the Pac 12, the mullahs in charge of BYU, etc., and it will NEVER get into a big conference. NEVER; for the same reason the Pac 12 considered they radioactive. BYU is screwed. Hee hee.

SeattleUte
12-04-2015, 06:20 PM
So, you think UVa reached out to him, or did Bronco initiate contact?

It was bound to happen. He was underpaid, underappreciated, and way too upmarket for them (yes, dorky BM was too upmarket for BYU).

concerned
12-04-2015, 06:42 PM

He reached out to Nebraska last year. I'll bet he did this one too. He has been ready to move on for a while it appears to me. Since the Y has played UVA a couple of times recently, lots of opportunity to drop hints.

jrj84105
12-04-2015, 07:08 PM
This is potentially momentous for Utah. The first step to Utah becoming a real contender is to dispatch BYU to oblivion thereby gaining complete domination of the local region. Any coaching change, especially an unplanned change with no real forward momentum for the program, has a good chance of abject failure. This could be amazing.

DrumNFeather
12-04-2015, 07:10 PM
If Kalani is smart, he'll lobby Bronco for the DC job at UVA. They get good recruits on that side of the ball and he could really prove himself in something that isn't a complete rebuild like Oregon St.

U-Ute
12-04-2015, 09:05 PM

With him being under contract it seems likely he reached out to Virginia.

SeattleUte
12-04-2015, 09:19 PM
I do not think as highly of him as you do. I do think this is good for BYU, but I don't think it's a difference maker on the scale that BYU would need to become some kind of G5 powerhouse.

I guess you're smarter than whoever it was at UVA that offered him $3.25M.

I'm not saying he's great. But you seem to think BYU has this huge pool to hire from. That's not true. He's better than they can get or deserve unless they get lucky like they did with him. Have you forgotten how desperate they were when they hired him? Edwards made BYU something in the WAC when nobody paid much attention. It's not a widely desired job to say the least. And the fans are clueless about the potential.

LA Ute
12-04-2015, 09:20 PM
He's now the 28th highest paid college football coach in the USA.

LA Ute
12-04-2015, 09:35 PM
Isn't Bronco the first to BYU coach ever to leave for a better job?

LA Ute
12-04-2015, 10:04 PM
Steve Cleveland went to Fresno st.

That was at best a lateral move at that time, wasn't it?

mUUser
12-04-2015, 10:23 PM
If Kalani is smart, he'll lobby Bronco for the DC job at UVA. They get good recruits on that side of the ball and he could really prove himself in something that isn't a complete rebuild like Oregon St.

Wasn't it one of The Drive episodes that Sitake alluded to the idea that one major reason he took the job at OSU was because it was a rebuild opportunity. I mean he walked into a well oiled defensive machine at Utah, so the challenge of building something from the ground up was attractive at this point in his career.

I might be. I had a killer ACT score back in the day. Who's the AD over there?

Well, I don't know for sure who would consider going there, but I think Anae or Sitake would probably accept the job. Those are both upgrades......

Time would tell but I'd have to disagree on this one. Bronco won at a 70% clip. That's typically seen as excellent in the college football world. Can't imagine either would do any better, and would think neither would excite their fan base. Maybe they're into "settling" mode now that a P5 invitation is almost completely out of reach.

concerned
12-04-2015, 10:25 PM
That was at best a lateral move at that time, wasn't it?

I think sancho was being droll. Very subtle wit.

NorthwestUteFan
12-04-2015, 11:26 PM
He was there for, what, 10 years? Someone with more drive than I have, what were his top 5 wins at BYU? How many wins against teams that finished in the top 25? I don't know that 70% is as impressive when it means 7-3 with 7 wins over bad teams and 3 losses to good teams.

He was there for 11 years.

They beat a number of solid 8-5 teams (Utah, Oregon St, Oregon, Oklahoma), a 9-4 Utah in 2007, a 10-3 Utah in 2009 (Max Hall Hates Us), an 11-2 TCU in 2006 (probably the biggest win), and that is it. I thought there were more big wins.

The biggest wins in program history are still the '96 Cotton Bowl over K State, and Miami in '90. Of course those were Lavell wins.

USS Utah
12-04-2015, 11:27 PM

Find out next time on As the Stomach Turns.

Diehard Ute
12-04-2015, 11:39 PM
The Trib has reposted Monson's column from last year where he said Whitt would leave and possibly for BYU

Viking
12-05-2015, 05:01 AM
The Trib has reposted Monson's column from last year where he said Whitt would leave and possibly for BYU

This would make SU's head explode. You can keep Whit, thank you very much.

I'm not a single bit upset about Bronco leaving. He's never been a BYU guy and though i am sure he is a good guy, he's not our guy.

I don't know who the next coach is but BYU is still the #1 destination for LDS talent and even though the list of available coaches is not long, for nearly all of them, BYU is their dream job.

Seriously, though. Please keep Whit. We don't want him back.

Viking
12-05-2015, 06:06 AM
Ken Niumatalolo will be named BYU head coach.

Good luck recruiting against us.

U-Ute
12-05-2015, 07:11 AM
You guys will love the Wishbone.

SeattleUte
12-05-2015, 08:00 AM

I'm not a single bit upset about Bronco leaving. He's never been a BYU guy and though i am sure he is a good guy, he's not our guy.

I don't know who the next coach is but BYU is still the #1 destination for LDS talent and even though the list of available coaches is not long, for nearly all of them, BYU is their dream job.

I am on record saying that if BYU offers Whit $3.25 million he should go there. Chris Hill has been very cheap with him and not raised the salary he deserves.

Nice hedge. I think we both know BYU doesn't have the cattle to get him for a lot of reasons.

Viking
12-05-2015, 08:14 AM
You guys will love the Wishbone.

Yes, with Taysom next year, we are going to love it. And we're gonna love it when we kick your lousy asses next year.

concerned
12-05-2015, 08:15 AM
Tanner mangum can't wait for the chance to run it. It will catapult him into the nfl.

Just think of all the good passing qb's who will no longer give the Y a look.

Have fun running that offense when you get behind. Think Nebraska.

P.s. I'll bet Taysom isn't your qb next year.

Viking
12-05-2015, 08:20 AM
I am on record saying that if BYU offers Whit $3.25 million he should go there. Chris Hill has been very cheap with him and not raised the salary he deserves.

Nice hedge. I think we both know BYU doesn't have the cattle to get him for a lot of reasons.

BYU already has the replacement. When KW came up, laughter erupted.

chrisrenrut
12-05-2015, 08:34 AM

I bet nobody laughed harder than KW himself.

Viking
12-05-2015, 08:38 AM
Tanner mangum can't wait for the chance to run it. It will catapult him into the nfl.

Just think of all the good passing qb's who will no longer give the Y a look.

Have fun running that offense when you get behind. Think Nebraska.

P.s. I'll bet Taysom isn't your qb next year.

KenN ran it because it's the best offense for the talent available to him. He will be a Lavell-like coach, more CEO, less KW.

Sitake is coming to BYU as DC and Anae will stay. Good luck in recruiting the core of your success the last ten years.

UtahsMrSports
12-05-2015, 08:39 AM

Not sure if this is a serious post or an attempt at trolling, but i laughed either way.

Rocker Ute
12-05-2015, 08:42 AM

Yeah, who wants a coach that runs a cleaner program than BYU and has teams consistently in the top 25, and understands the LDS and Poly cultures?

Apparently not a few Utah fans too.

Rocker Ute
12-05-2015, 08:45 AM
I will say probably the single biggest deterrent for the BYU job has to be its fans... More than the various restrictions placed on the team as an LDS school.

Lots of programs have fans with extremely high expectations but most BYU fans are a bunch of fickle mush heads and Bronco himself has alluded to that fact a few times.

NorthwestUteFan
12-05-2015, 08:48 AM

Have fun in the Big XII. I am sure your sources are right this time. All you need to do is believe (and keep paying your tithing) and it will be so.

chrisrenrut
12-05-2015, 08:48 AM
KenN ran it because it's the best offense for the talent available to him. He will be a Lavell-like coach, more CEO, less KW.

Sitake is coming to BYU as DC and Anae will stay. Good luck in recruiting the core of your success the last ten years.

How solid is this info? BYU to the Big 12 solid?

UtahsMrSports
12-05-2015, 08:56 AM
I bet nobody laughed harder than KW himself.

As he hung up and blocked the number.

UtahsMrSports
12-05-2015, 08:59 AM
Yeah, who wants a coach that runs a cleaner program than BYU and has teams consistently in the top 25, and understands the LDS and Poly cultures?

Apparently not a few Utah fans too.

98% of people who "cover" BYU are also die hard fans, and have been for most if not all of their lives. I dont think you see this phenomenon anywhere else and i think it helps push the delusions along, as there is almost no one to keep them in check.

Edit: this was a response to your other comment. I quoted the wrong one

NorthwestUteFan
12-05-2015, 08:59 AM
Is Robert Anae white and delightsome enough for byu fans? They will probably pass on him, because they think he isn't capable of handling the Offense, let alone the whole team.

Maybe they can hire Cary Whittingham. He has Head Coach experience (at Timpview).

U-Ute
12-05-2015, 09:10 AM
Good luck in recruiting the core of your success the last ten years.

You keep saying this. Am I missing something. Is Nui the Dan Pink of recruiting or something?

concerned
12-05-2015, 09:14 AM
He thinks the Y will have an all poly staff and get all the poly recruits.

U-Ute
12-05-2015, 09:17 AM
He thinks the Y will have an all poly staff and get all the poly recruits.

Who knew that Polynesian players chose their schools so superficially. I assumed it was because of more personal goals such as preparing for the NFL.

I guess we're doomed.

U-Ute
12-05-2015, 09:29 AM
Maybe they can hire Cary Whittingham. He has Head Coach experience (at Timpview).

It would be weird to see a Utah/BYU game of Kyle v Cary. They look too much alike. Like some sort of clone war.

concerned
12-05-2015, 09:31 AM
I'm starting to wonder if viking is being tongue in cheek. Ken makes a lot more than bronco and the Y would have to pay a lot more for him and Sitake and the rest of the staff too. Holmoe indicated yesterday that there isn't a lot of money lying around. A lot of people think anae will go with bronco if he is passed over. Uva can pay a lot more for an oc.

Ma'ake
12-05-2015, 09:33 AM
Who knew that Polynesian players chose their schools so superficially. I assumed it was because of more personal goals such as preparing for the NFL.

I guess we're doomed.

LOL. I remember Kelly Talavou and Paul Soliai - aka, "Thing One and Thing Two" - long hair out the back, throwing people around, causing TCU fans to say "I wish we could get some Samoans, too". The Colorado DT Samson Kafovalu checked us off his list in recruiting because his mom didn't want him around Mormons.

Just as the Hawaiian pipeline of players has dried up for every single school that ever thought they had one established, Polynesians aren't the monolithic block of followers some people seem to think.

It's a good idea to have your coaches - or school teachers - reflect the diversity you have and want to cultivate. Even Bronco eventually figured that out.

Viking
12-05-2015, 09:50 AM
I'm starting to wonder if viking is being tongue in cheek. Ken makes a lot more than bronco and the Y would have to pay a lot more for him and Sitake and the rest of the staff too. Holmoe indicated yesterday that there isn't a lot of money lying around. A lot of people think anae will go with bronco if he is passed over. Uva can pay a lot more for an oc.

There IS a smart ute, afterall!

LA Ute
12-05-2015, 09:53 AM
I understand that Bronco is going to coach BYU in the Las Vegas bowl. A win there would be his 100th. Another level of drama that some will love and others will hate.

concerned
12-05-2015, 09:56 AM
There IS a smart ute, afterall!

You got me hook line and sinker.

DrumNFeather
12-05-2015, 09:58 AM
I understand that Bronco is going to coach BYU in the Las Vegas bowl.

Going for #100.

U-Ute
12-05-2015, 10:01 AM
Oh good. I was starting to collect my Utah memorabilia to burn it in response to our impending doom. That was a close call.

U-Ute
12-05-2015, 10:02 AM
Bronco dropping the mic. Gotta love it.

DrumNFeather
12-05-2015, 10:03 AM
Oh good. I was starting to collect my Utah memorabilia to burn it in response to our impending doom. That was a close call.
Same, I put in a call to Hill to cancel the new scoreboard. Now back to emailing him about pulling out of the Vegas Bowl.

OrangeUte
12-05-2015, 11:26 AM
Is Robert Anae white and delightsome enough for byu fans? They will probably pass on him, because they think he isn't capable of handling the Offense, let alone the whole team.

Their greatest coach was elevated from the high school ranks. Lavell coached at Granite High School before BYU hired him. Perhaps they should stick with that formula as it appears to be blessed.

Viking
12-05-2015, 11:31 AM
Two weeks from now, in Vegas, we're gonna kick your asses

NorthwestUteFan
12-05-2015, 12:24 PM
Who are the potential coaches for the byu of Provo?

NFW Andy Reid will leave the NFL for that job. He makes $7.5M/yr and has 3 years left on his contract. BYU has money, but they won't go that deep.

Darrell Bevell has been mentioned, but he interviewed for a number of NFL HC positions recently (Chicago, Jacksonville, Arizona, etc). He has zero ties to byu, other than being LDS. Utah was the only school in the state to recruit him anyway.

Stanford's OC? Maybe. He actually recruited Taysom Hill, and stole Dalton Schultz. They would need to crack open the purse to get him.

Ken N? Great guy, great program admin, but bad offensive fit.

Kyle Whittingham? LOL. Kyle can separate his career life from his church life. He will feel no

Kalani Sitake? Maybe. But he has waited for 6 years to coach with Andersen again. Who knows if he could pull it off. He might not be ready for prime time. And he would need a big pay increase as well.

Aaron Roderick? That works for me. :D

NorthwestUteFan
12-05-2015, 12:29 PM
Their greatest coach was elevated from the high school ranks. Lavell coached at Granite High School before BYU hired him. Perhaps they should stick with that formula as it appears to be blessed.

That was a different era. Lavell had a revolutionary new Offense and a significantly higher available budget than the rest of their conference (especially after UA and ASU left).

SoCalPat
12-05-2015, 01:12 PM

NFW Andy Reid will leave the NFL for that job. He makes $7.5M/yr and has 3 years left on his contract. BYU has money, but they won't go that deep.

Darrell Bevell has been mentioned, but he interviewed for a number of NFL HC positions recently (Chicago, Jacksonville, Arizona, etc). He has zero ties to byu, other than being LDS. Utah was the only school in the state to recruit him anyway.

Stanford's OC? Maybe. He actually recruited Taysom Hill, and stole Dalton Schultz. They would need to crack open the purse to get him.

Kyle Whittingham? LOL. Kyle can separate his career life from his church life. He will feel no

Kalani Sitake? Maybe. But he has waited for 6 years to coach with Andersen again. Who knows if he could pull it off. He might not be ready for prime time. And he would need a big pay increase as well.

Lance Anderson is LDS, but is Stanford's defensive coordinator, not OC.

Diehard Ute
12-05-2015, 01:21 PM

If BYU has money why were they, from Jay Drew'a report, paying Bronco $1M?

Oh wait they have money. They're just cheap.

NorthwestUteFan
12-05-2015, 02:11 PM

I was talking about the 70s and 80s. They greatly outspent the rest of the conference at the time. They always had by far the best facilities, etc.

They can probably get away with underpaying the coaches, but that certainly won't last.

They will need to significantly increase the coaches' salaries if they want to remain in the conversation nationally.

LA Ute
12-05-2015, 02:11 PM
Two weeks from now, in Vegas, we're gonna kick your asses

This one?

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/05/1c87a9da39cd450a1d61ed335f6aea18.jpg

NorthwestUteFan
12-05-2015, 02:21 PM
Lance Anderson is LDS, but is Stanford's defensive coordinator, not OC.

Oops, you are correct. Bronco was a Defense guy, so maybe that has legs.

DrumNFeather
12-05-2015, 02:31 PM
Rich Rod to South Carolina heating up.

LA Ute
12-05-2015, 03:08 PM

My sources tell me it's Andy Reid. A phone call to him from 47 East South Temple apparently rocked him so much that he's on a plane to SLC this Monday.

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-05-2015, 04:10 PM

Of all the things that Jay Drew doesn't know, Bronco's BYU salary is at the top.

Diehard Ute
12-05-2015, 04:25 PM
Of all the things that Jay Drew doesn't know, Bronco's BYU salary is at the top.

Well since it matches what everyone else has always said it's probably close.

It's no secret BYU is cheap with pay

U-Ute
12-05-2015, 05:20 PM

ColoUte put it best: BYU treats it like a church calling.

Diehard Ute
12-05-2015, 05:40 PM
ColoUte put it best: BYU treats it like a church calling.

Yup, wonder if they'll try and do what they did with a previous BYU president. Tell him that's his new calling and walk out before he can say anything ;)

NorthwestUteFan
12-05-2015, 06:23 PM
Yup, wonder if they'll try and do what they did with a previous BYU president. Tell him that's his new calling and walk out before he can say anything ;)

Even worse, they will probably call him to be a bishop like they did to Brandon Doman.

DrumNFeather
12-05-2015, 06:25 PM

It's because some of us put "not for Bronco" on our tithing slips.

U-Ute
12-05-2015, 07:53 PM
Lol. Ben Criddle nails it:

@criddler21: The Church wants Ken
Donors want Lance
Fans want Kalani
Current coaches want Anae
Tom wants Bevell or Reid

Who will it be? ;)

DrumNFeather
12-05-2015, 09:25 PM
Rich Rod to South Carolina heating up.

Offered the job and turned it down. More Rich Rod tormenting us to follow.

mpfunk
12-05-2015, 10:49 PM
Offered the job and turned it down. More Rich Rod tormenting us to follow.

We really need him to take another job.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

NorthwestUteFan
12-06-2015, 05:48 PM
Helton starts throwing his assistants under the bus for the Stanford loss. Just fired Justin Wilcox.

The only surprising thing about that is that it happened now and not 2 months ago.

U-Ute
12-06-2015, 07:32 PM
Oh, and we really ought to merge this with the coaching carousel thread.

I agree. Done.

U-Ute
12-06-2015, 07:39 PM
Yeah, as the only competent coach on the staff, he was definitely the odd man out.

It appears McCaffrey is the one that got him fired.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/12/5/9855672/usc-coaches-cussing-stanford-pac-12-championship-game

NorthwestUteFan
12-06-2015, 08:49 PM
Will byu go after Ed Lamb? He is SUU's coach, and a former byu football player. He seems to be talented.

Jarid in Cedar
12-06-2015, 08:51 PM
Will byu go after Ed Lamb? He is SUU's coach, and a former byu football player. He seems to be talented.

Not LDS

kccougar
12-06-2015, 08:54 PM

As an assistant? There's been some talk of that.

UtahsMrSports
12-07-2015, 08:40 AM
Twitter this morning says it's Anae or Sitake.

If this is truly who it is down to, its gotta be Sitake right?

UtahsMrSports
12-07-2015, 08:51 AM
Why? Anae has been great for us.

I fixed it for you. We likely don't win the 2010 game with someone other than Bobby at the controls of the BYU offens.

Can't tell if youre serious, but if you are, Sitake would be the guy who wins the press conference. Not the end all, obviously, but there is so much resentment toward Anae that I dont think people would give him much of a honeymoon period. Plus, Ive never heard the "hes a great recruiter!" line that gets tagged to almost every coach in America.

DrumNFeather
12-07-2015, 08:53 AM
Why? Anae has been great for them.

Yeah, Anae would be my guess. I don't see where Sitake has done himself any favors by going to Oregon St. this year. In an ironic twist, if he was the DC here for this season, would he be the runaway favorite for the job? I think he might be.

SoCalPat
12-07-2015, 09:12 AM
Yeah, Anae would be my guess. I don't see where Sitake has done himself any favors by going to Oregon St. this year. In an ironic twist, if he was the DC here for this season, would he be the runaway favorite for the job? I think he might be.

Even as an alum, there's no way Sitake would subject himself or his family from a Utah-to-BYU move. What happened at Oregon State isn't going to diminish Sitake in the eyes of BYU, just like we'd welcome Gary aboard in a heartbeat if Kyle left for another job.

U-Ute
12-07-2015, 09:13 AM
Why? Anae has been great for them.

This whole thing of Bronco coaching in the bowl game is wonky. The best thing for BYU would be for Bronco to head off to Virginia and start his work. As it stands, he's trying to build a staff and recruit players in Virginia, while trying to prepare for a bowl game in Las Vegas, against his rival to which he has lost 4 straight games. Furthermore, he has coaches that he's going to take with him that want to get ready for the move to Virginia and, more importantly, guys who won't be going with him that know this is their last hurrah. They are scrambling to find jobs, could be disappointed with Bronco and Holmoe, and are trying to prepare for a bowl game. Oh yeah, did I mention the whole 4 losses in a row against a rival thing.

With all of the split loyalties and priorities, this sounds like it has the potential for a total Charlie Foxtrot. If this is all about Bronco trying to get his 100th victory and sending the seniors out on a high note, he's being really selfish because the potential for really wrecking the program is there.

So what does this have to do with Anae?

If Anae is really on the list, then it would seem that better solution would be to put the interim tag on him and let him get off on the right foot by beating his rival in the bowl game. Let him prove himself and potentially be a hero.

Now, if Anae really isn't on the list, then the absolute worst thing you could do would be to put an interim tag on him and let him have a chance to beat his rival in a bowl game and be a hero.

My guess is Anae isn't on the list.

concerned
12-07-2015, 09:30 AM
In the UVA press conference this morning, Bronco said he thought he would bring a lot of his staff from the Y. So he isn't the only one who has his mind elsewhere. If Sitake gets hired, I cant imagine that Anae would not follow Bronco.

NorthwestUteFan
12-07-2015, 09:37 AM
Not LDS

Phew! I was worried for a minute that they might actually get a good, up-and-coming coach.

UtahsMrSports
12-07-2015, 09:38 AM
Nick Howell will likely follow him. Who knows who else.

UtahsMrSports
12-07-2015, 09:39 AM
I don't think so. Anae has been really good. They have no reason in terms of talent to have a good offense, but they always do.

I do think Sitake does many coach things really well. He's great with media. You have to think he'd be a solid recruiter (though this is less important at BYU than at most places). I have no reason to think he's bad with x's and o's.

Fair enough!

Scratch
12-07-2015, 09:49 AM
Anae is a very good offensive coordinator. However, he's a terrible recruiter and a lot of the players down there can't stand him. A lot of the recruits we've gotten who you would have expected to be BYU guys were turned off by Anae. We want Anae to get that job.

U-Ute
12-07-2015, 09:52 AM
Anae is a very good offensive coordinator. However, he's a terrible recruiter and a lot of the players down there can't stand him. A lot of the recruits we've gotten who you would have expected to be BYU guys were turned off by Anae. We want Anae to get that job.

Which is why Anae isn't the interim head coach.

DrumNFeather
12-07-2015, 09:54 AM
If the sports gods are feeling just next week, Utah will win. Travis deserves to go out with a win more than this clown.

Travis will rush for close to 100 yards.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
12-07-2015, 10:08 AM
Nick Howell will likely follow him. Who knows who else.

Tears of BYU fans will cause Utah Lake to overflow.

Solon
12-07-2015, 10:12 AM
I have no reason to think he's bad with x's and o's.

Except that OSU's defense was very stinky this year.
http://pac-12.com/content/football-statistics

Maybe unfair since it's year 1, but they were really bad.

NorthwestUteFan
12-07-2015, 10:51 AM
Except that OSU's defense was very stinky this year.
http://pac-12.com/content/football-statistics

Maybe unfair since it's year 1, but they were really bad.

And if you watch The Drive you will recall that he kept telling the players that he had to 'dumb down' the Defense to fit his players. It seems that Crowton used to say the same thing about his Offensive schemes when he was at byu...

Solon
12-07-2015, 01:20 PM
And if you watch The Drive you will recall that he kept telling the players that he had to 'dumb down' the Defense to fit his players. It seems that Crowton used to say the same thing about his Offensive schemes when he was at byu...

:highfive: Then he'll fit in perfectly at the byu!!!

I believe technique & alignment matter in Defense, but mentality matters just as much.
Put another way, it seems like the glass-eaters always play Defense. O-Linemen are egg-heads.

I think Benedict Arnold Sitake is overrated.

sancho
12-07-2015, 02:09 PM
How about Sonny Dykes still at Cal? I love it when this happens.

Redbird
12-07-2015, 03:30 PM
:highfive: Then he'll fit in perfectly at the byu!!!

I believe technique & alignment matter in Defense, but mentality matters just as much.
Put another way, it seems like the glass-eaters always play Defense. O-Linemen are egg-heads.

I think Benedict Arnold Sitake is overrated.

If Sitake and Andersen stay at Oregon St, they will be a 9-win team by 2018. They were very young this year.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
12-08-2015, 02:18 AM
If Sitake and Andersen stay at Oregon St, they will be a 9-win team by 2018. They were very young this year.

I'd take that bet. Very young and bad, reminds me of SDSU for most of my life in the WAC/MWC they were always hyped as a sleeper team because they were returning 12-18 starters.

UBlender
12-08-2015, 08:52 AM

I think those guys are good coaches and they'll improve, but unless a coach or two leave the PAC 12 north is going to be very tough for the foreseeable future. Oregon and Stanford show no signs of slowing down (it seems like Stanford hit their floor last year and Oregon this year and both are still very good). Washington was very young this year and is on the rise. I think Leach has Wazzu at a level similar to Utah right now where they may not make a Rose Bowl but they will always be a tough out and a solid bet to win 7-9 games each year. I'm not sure what Cal will be going forward as Goff is most likely gone and Dykes wants to leave so badly. I don't think Dykes is that good of a coach and the instability should hurt their recruiting--Cal is probably the one team that OSU should aim to catch in the next couple of years. It's going to be tough for Oregon State to crack the upper half of that division any time soon.

Applejack
12-08-2015, 09:01 AM
I'd take that bet. Very young and bad, reminds me of SDSU for most of my life in the WAC/MWC they were always hyped as a sleeper team because they were returning 12-18 starters.

Me too. After this year, anyone betting on Oregon State being good is doing so with the hope that players that didn't play are starting next year. No Beavers had me saying, "in two years that guy will be scary."

U-Ute
12-08-2015, 09:53 AM
Me too. After this year, anyone betting on Oregon State being good is doing so with the hope that players that didn't play are starting next year. No Beavers had me saying, "in two years that guy will be scary."

I dunno. Villamin and that beast they had on the defense were good. Or are they seniors?

Redbird
12-08-2015, 08:03 PM
I think those guys are good coaches and they'll improve, but unless a coach or two leave the PAC 12 north is going to be very tough for the foreseeable future. Oregon and Stanford show no signs of slowing down (it seems like Stanford hit their floor last year and Oregon this year and both are still very good). Washington was very young this year and is on the rise. I think Leach has Wazzu at a level similar to Utah right now where they may not make a Rose Bowl but they will always be a tough out and a solid bet to win 7-9 games each year. I'm not sure what Cal will be going forward as Goff is most likely gone and Dykes wants to leave so badly. I don't think Dykes is that good of a coach and the instability should hurt their recruiting--Cal is probably the one team that OSU should aim to catch in the next couple of years. It's going to be tough for Oregon State to crack the upper half of that division any time soon.

Go undefeated OOC. Beat Cal, Wazzou, and UW. Beat CU and split the other two P12S. Win the bowl game (which could be anything at 8-4).

sancho
12-09-2015, 02:16 PM
Twitter reports that Bevell was approached by BYU but is not interested in the job.

NorthwestUteFan
12-09-2015, 03:17 PM
Bevell interviewed for a number of NFL head coach jobs and will get one sooner rather than later. He knows byu is a dead end job. Good for him for turning that down.

The only former NFL coach who should ever take a job in the state of Utah is Mike McCoy, after Whitt retires from Utah... :D

U-Ute
12-09-2015, 03:20 PM
Twitter reports that Bevell was approached by BYU but is not interested in the job.

Jay Drew ‏@drewjay (https://twitter.com/drewjay) 1h1 hour ago (https://twitter.com/drewjay/status/674696983576117248) Seattle coach Pete Carroll told reporters today that OC Darrell Bevell is "not available" to be BYU's next head coach.

U-Ute
12-09-2015, 03:20 PM
Jay Drew ‏@drewjay (https://twitter.com/drewjay) 22m22 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/drewjay/status/674709624952504320) In short: BYU has contacted Kalani Sitake and Lance Anderson, has gauged Nuimatalolo's interest through an emissary: http://www.sltrib.com/sports/3287836-155/byu-has-contacted-sitake-niumatalolo-and?fullpage=1 … (https://t.co/3uLJ1rCmP9)

U-Ute
12-09-2015, 07:21 PM
Per Dick Harmon: Anae to be the OC at UVA. Three other offensive coaches going with him: Tujay, Atuia and Beck.

Chances are I only spelled Beck's name correctly

Mormon Red Death
12-09-2015, 07:52 PM
Bill Riley just tweeted congrats to sitaki

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Mormon Red Death
12-09-2015, 07:55 PM
Then redacted it

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Diehard Ute
12-09-2015, 08:24 PM
I think he was trolling haha

He's now clarified he was checking Twitter will driving and didn't realize what the tweet he read said. Citation is in the mail Bill

sancho
12-09-2015, 08:34 PM
So, is there a new destination for mormon recruits? We already have to fend off osu. Is uva going to be a threat?

Redbird
12-09-2015, 08:57 PM
So, is there a new destination for mormon recruits? We already have to fend off osu. Is uva going to be a threat?

there's already a "new destination" for mormon recruits in Virginia:

http://svu.edu/

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-09-2015, 10:52 PM

This is actually where I first thought Bronco was going when I heard the news last Friday.

concerned
12-10-2015, 07:53 AM

Rick's College East.

U-Ute
12-10-2015, 10:23 AM
It sounds like Anae is mad he wasn't the easy choice for BYU.

hostile
12-10-2015, 10:37 AM
It sounds like Anae is mad he wasn't the easy choice for BYU.
And he's taking a majority of his offensive staff with him to UVA.

UtahsMrSports
12-10-2015, 11:27 AM

Not that this has anything to do with anything, but I got a "recruiting tape" from svu (the school, as opposed to the elite squad of new york detectives who handle crimes that are considered especially heinous, that I would have welcomed!) when I was a senior in high school and it was downright creepy...........worse than anything I think that BYU could have come up with. A group of students were sitting in a family room and they had these pasted on grins and were at "Family Home Evening"........The only thing worse than going to school at BYU would be going to school at a wanna-be BYU...........

NorthwestUteFan
12-10-2015, 12:15 PM
That wannabe byu is twice as expensive as the real one.

Diehard Ute
12-10-2015, 12:28 PM
That wannabe byu is twice as expensive as the real one.

Well it's probably the same price. It's just not subsidized ;)

U-Ute
12-10-2015, 12:55 PM
Dykes stays at Cal.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/14331535/california-coach-sonny-dykes-agree-contract-extension

chrisrenrut
12-10-2015, 01:04 PM
If whatever new coach at BYU were to call ARod home to be the OC there, would we miss him? Seems like Hardy could take over some OC responsibilities under DE's tutelage, and we could go find a dedicated QB coach somewhere (a area ARod seems to have under performed).

Just thinking about what eligible LDS OC's there might be out there to a new BYU coach to hire, and ARod might be on that list.

sancho
12-10-2015, 01:08 PM
If whatever new coach at BYU were to call ARod home to be the OC there, would we miss him? Seems like Hardy could take over some OC responsibilities under DE's tutelage, and we could go find a dedicated QB coach somewhere (a area ARod seems to have under performed).

Just thinking about what eligible LDS OC's there might be out there to a new BYU coach to hire, and ARod might be on that list.

Do the coordinators also need to be LDS or just the HC?

I would hate a clean slate at OC, but since we have two, I guess - in the spirit of Christmas - we can spare one.

Seems like a good time for a new QB coach, since we have no returning experience at the position. Almost true for a WR coach too.

Diehard Ute
12-10-2015, 01:09 PM
Do the coordinators also need to be LDS or just the HC?

I would hate a clean slate at OC, but since we have two, I guess - in the spirit of Christmas - we can spare one.

Seems like a good time for a new QB coach, since we have no returning experience at the position. Almost true for a WR coach too.

From those who've payed there that I know, only the head coach is required to be a member in good standing, although I'm sure that would be preferred for assistants

sancho
12-10-2015, 07:46 PM
Coach Ken to visit BYU on Monday.That makes him the leading candidate, right? I figure it's all about negotiations, now. If he had no interest in BYU, he wouldn't come for a visit.

This would be good for BYU. He's a step up from Bronco in x's and o's, in media relations, in player relations, in in recruiting, and possibly in motivating players.

One thing I just thought of. He knows what it's like to be independent, and he knows what it's like to be in a conference race. I wonder how he feels about leaving a conference now that he finally ended up in one.

chrisrenrut
12-10-2015, 08:09 PM
Coach Ken to visit BYU on Monday.That makes him the leading candidate, right? I figure it's all about negotiations, now. If he had no interest in BYU, he wouldn't come for a visit.

This would be good for BYU. He's a step up from Bronco in x's and o's, in media relations, in player relations, in in recruiting, and possibly in motivating players.

One thing I just thought of. He knows what it's like to be independent, and he knows what it's like to be in a conference race. I wonder how he feels about leaving a conference now that he finally ended up in one.

Bronco was so easy to dislike, with his lack of personality, and stupid things he said. If it ends up being Sitake, it would be easy to develope a healthy dislike for him, due to his changed loyalties. I could see Ken N. Being the kind of coach it is hard to dislike

concerned
12-10-2015, 08:29 PM
I don't think it's a given he would take the job. He may shop the offer back to Navy and see if they will improve upon it. If he does come will he give up the triple option? If so who is is offensive coordinator? I really hope he would keep the triple option because it would be the demise of the y football program. He does seem to have the first interview however. They have been waiting on him.

LA Ute
12-10-2015, 08:40 PM
It seems to me that if you hire a man to be the head coach, you let him run the offense he wants to run. It is possible he runs that option because of the personnel he had to work with, but I think he coached at Georgia Tech too, and they did not have the same personnel limitations, as far as I know.

chrisrenrut
12-10-2015, 08:52 PM
It seems to me that if you hire a man to be the head coach, you let him run the offense he wants to run. It is possible he runs that option because of the personnel he had to work with, but I think he coached at Georgia Tech too, and they did not have the same personnel limitations, as far as I know.

According to Wikipedia, he was never at GT.

He was QB at Hawaii running the option under Paul Johnson. He was a GA there for a while.

The rest of his coaching experience has been at Navy, except for a brief stop at UNLV.

Scorcho
12-10-2015, 09:40 PM
my guess is that Ken N. is their #1 option and Sitake is #2. I suspect they've already interviewed Kalani and have assurances that he will take the job if offered. If they can't land Ken N, the job will be Sitake's.

Just a guess. If Sitake does reasonably well at BYU, I don't see why Utah couldn't go after him post Whitt :D

sancho
12-10-2015, 10:29 PM
I could see Ken N. Being the kind of coach it is hard to dislike

Yes, but I think I can do it.

LA Ute
12-11-2015, 12:05 AM
According to Wikipedia, he was never at GT.

He was QB at Hawaii running the option under Paul Johnson. He was a GA there for a while.

The rest of his coaching experience has been at Navy, except for a brief stop at UNLV.

OK. I saw Paul Johnson's name and thought of Georgia Tech.

Diehard Ute
12-11-2015, 12:22 AM
OK. I saw Paul Johnson's name and thought of Georgia Tech.

He was Johnson's OC at Navy then was promoted to HC when Johnson left for GT.

Johnson gave him his start at Hawaii and took him to Navy.

Viking
12-11-2015, 02:24 AM
I don't have any scoop whatsoever but I know what's not going on: requests for big money from big donors that would signal an attempt at KW. Plus having Santiago+KW photographed at SLC airport chatting together is about as much proof as one needs that there are no conversations of substance taking place.

Here's my deductive reasoning best guess as to how this works out:

1. Niumatalolo has been de facto #1 for a long time, under the assumption that Reid and KW are not coming home any time soon.

2. When Bronco prematurely announced his departure (Monson really nailed it) and then proceeding to raid the cupboard 10 days before a match up against you Utes, if there were serious Sitake or Bevell discussions, one of those would have been announced immediately. That didn't happen

3. Instead, we are getting an announcement on Monday.

4. Army-Navy is tomorrow, and unlike Bronco, Niumatalolo is truly loyal to his players and would never distract them a week before their most important game of the season.

So, educated guess on HC is Ken Niumatalolo (plus, his kid plays for us).

However, triple threat option ain't Cougar Football. But Holmoe already has a clear history of personally reconstructing BYU football after the Crowton debacle.

To preserve BYU's offensive philosophy, we go to none other than fellow Texan and Heisman Trophy winner (do you guys have one?), TD Ty Detmer.

If the $$ is available, we pay up for Sitake. But I think it's more likely he's going to want to take his head coaching chances and remain at OSU.

Thus, Steve Kaufusi gets a well-deserved promotion to DC.

HC: Niumatalolo
OC: Detmer
DC: Kaufusi

That's my bet.

Applejack
12-11-2015, 05:21 AM
I don't have any scoop whatsoever but I know what's not going on: requests for big money from big donors that would signal an attempt at KW. Plus having Santiago+KW photographed at SLC airport chatting together is about as much proof as one needs that there are no conversations of substance taking place.

Here's my deductive reasoning best guess as to how this works out:

1. Niumatalolo has been de facto #1 for a long time, under the assumption that Reid and KW are not coming home any time soon.

2. When Bronco prematurely announced his departure (Monson really nailed it) and then proceeding to raid the cupboard 10 days before a match up against you Utes, if there were serious Sitake or Bevell discussions, one of those would have been announced immediately. That didn't happen

3. Instead, we are getting an announcement on Monday.

4. Army-Navy is tomorrow, and unlike Bronco, Niumatalolo is truly loyal to his players and would never distract them a week before their most important game of the season.

So, educated guess on HC is Ken Niumatalolo (plus, his kid plays for us).

However, triple threat option ain't Cougar Football. But Holmoe already has a clear history of personally reconstructing BYU football after the Crowton debacle.

To preserve BYU's offensive philosophy, we go to none other than fellow Texan and Heisman Trophy winner (do you guys have one?), TD Ty Detmer.

If the $$ is available, we pay up for Sitake. But I think it's more likely he's going to want to take his head coaching chances and remain at OSU.

Thus, Steve Kaufusi gets a well-deserved promotion to DC.

HC: Niumatalolo
OC: Detmer
DC: Kaufusi

That's my bet.
Wait, I thought your source was saying Ken n, sitake as dc, and anae as oc? Does this lesser glory of a coaching staff still doom us to your recruiting scraps? Please confirm with your source.

sancho
12-11-2015, 07:35 AM
I really hope he would keep the triple option because it would be the demise of the y football program.

I would hate for Utah to go up against a coach Ken triple option every year. We would lose more of those than we currently lose. That said, I bet they ask him to change. They want him for his leadership, not his offense.

If he just wanted to use BYU for a salary renegotiation, he could have done that from Annapolis. I think him coming on Monday means he's genuinely open to the idea of leaving.

concerned
12-11-2015, 08:07 AM
I would hate for Utah to go up against a coach Ken triple option every year. We would lose more of those than we currently lose. That said, I bet they ask him to change. They want him for his leadership, not his offense.

If he just wanted to use BYU for a salary renegotiation, he could have done that from Annapolis. I think him coming on Monday means he's genuinely open to the idea of leaving.

There is an easy solution to that: let them run the TO and don't schedule them anymore. Everybody wins.

I am not saying he is not genuinely interested; I said it is not a given that he would take the job. By all accounts, Ken N. is devout. He could be coming to Provo out of respect for his Church, but one of his kids is there and the other could decommit from BSU and go there too.

He is also very loyal to the Academy. It sounds like Navy will offer him $2.3 to $2.5. Didnt sound as though the Y can match that or exceed it substantially, from TH's press conference. Ken N. may utlimately be more comfortable at Navy, for a variety of reasons, including the AAC.

UtahsMrSports
12-11-2015, 08:13 AM
Oh, the airport conversation thing is HUGE. Whenever I want to talk business, I always schedule a meeting early in the morning at the airport. Also, I would never ever talk to a long time friend that I bumped into if they were a BYU fan.

Good grief Viking, I see you have been attending classes at the Peter Vecsey school of journalism and analysis with Kyle Gunther.............

LA Ute
12-11-2015, 08:31 AM
Wait, I thought your source was saying Ken n, sitake as dc, and anae as oc? Does this lesser glory of a coaching staff still doom us to your recruiting scraps? Please confirm with your source.

What about Gifford Nielsen? He's perfect. He is a GA, but if a GA can be assigned to serve as BYU's president, why can't one be assigned to serve as the football HC?

Applejack
12-11-2015, 08:38 AM
There is an easy solution to that: let them run the TO and don't schedule them anymore. Everybody wins.

I am not saying he is not genuinely interested; I said it is not a given that he would take the job. By all accounts, Ken N. is devout. He could be coming to Provo out of respect for his Church, but one of his kids is there and the other could decommit from BSU and go there too.

He is also very loyal to the Academy. It sounds like Navy will offer him $2.3 to $2.5. Didnt sound as though the Y can match that or exceed it substantially, from TH's press conference. Ken N. may utlimately be more comfortable at Navy, for a variety of reasons, including the AAC.

I don't think everybody wins in that scenario.

concerned
12-11-2015, 08:41 AM
I don't think everybody wins in that scenario.

Ok, you are right. Everybody wins except you.

U-Ute
12-11-2015, 08:41 AM
Bronco was so easy to dislike, with his lack of personality, and stupid things he said. If it ends up being Sitake, it would be easy to develope a healthy dislike for him, due to his changed loyalties. I could see Ken N. Being the kind of coach it is hard to dislike

I saw some highlights of his presser at UVA. Some fans over there now have to be starting to think: "WTF?...This guy is dorky..."

Viking
12-11-2015, 08:50 AM

A smarter ute than thou smoked that TIC out pretty quickly. Was impressive.

NorthwestUteFan
12-11-2015, 09:01 AM
TH: "Kyle, I would like to meet with you to discuss the possibility of becoming our new Head Coach. I believe we have a bright future, and we have pooled some impressive resources to make an attractive offer. When can we schedule a meeting? "

KW: "Tommie, I would love to meet with my old college roommate. I am flying out of SLC tomorrow morning to watch my punter win his second back-to-back Ray Guy award, and can meet you in the airport between flights for five minutes or so. Give my best to Felicia and the kids."

NorthwestUteFan
12-11-2015, 09:10 AM
A smarter ute than thou smoked that TIC out pretty quickly. Was impressive.

I for one am excited to see how Ken "Meet The Mormons" Niumatalolo's Triple Option Flexbone works against Big XII defenses. You guys are going to kill it. Oklahoma won't know what hit them. I can't wait until the Blue Hairs are whining about the 350 rushing yds per game.

Applejack
12-11-2015, 09:14 AM
Ok, you are right. Everybody wins except you.

:confused: Do all Ute fans want to quit playing BYU? Is it out of spite over missing out on a dream bowl matchup with Nebraska?

concerned
12-11-2015, 09:22 AM
TH: "Kyle, I would like to meet with you to discuss the possibility of becoming our new Head Coach. I believe we have a bright future, and we have pooled some impressive resources to make an attractive offer. When can we schedule a meeting? "

KW: "Tommie, I would love to meet with my old college roommate. I am flying out of SLC tomorrow morning to watch my punter win his second back-to-back Ray Guy award, and can meet you in the airport between flights for five minutes or so. Give my best to Felicia and the kids."

That is Holmoe and Brian Santiago at the airport yesterday

http://s30.postimg.org/kbqb8zdk1/imageedit_4_8634769096.jpg

NorthwestUteFan
12-11-2015, 09:27 AM
:confused: Do all Ute fans want to quit playing BYU? Is it out of spite over missing out on a dream bowl matchup with Nebraska?

No. I think we are pissed because every year we have THE byu of Provo on the schedule Chris Hill and Kyle Whittingham will refuse to pursue a P5 OOC matchup. We are stuck with them being our OOC 'Showcase' game. And it is a boring matchup from that standpoint.

Viking
12-11-2015, 09:28 AM

Take heart, Utes. If there were ultra secret talks going on between KW and TH, they wouldn't stop in front of door 10 for all the world to see. They would have flashed some secret hand symbol and kept moving.

concerned
12-11-2015, 09:58 AM
Take heart, Utes. If there were ultra secret talks going on between KW and TH, they wouldn't stop in front of door 10 for all the world to see. They would have flashed some secret hand symbol and kept moving.

You fell into their trap. That is just what they want you to think and it worked.

NorthwestUteFan
12-11-2015, 10:02 AM

They would try to sweeten the deal by offering Kyle his Second Annointing(tm). The pay cut might be more palatable if he can also get his Calling and Election Made Sure(tm)

LA Ute
12-11-2015, 10:13 AM
No one is taking my Gifford Nielsen idea seriously. :mad:

U-Ute
12-11-2015, 10:22 AM

:rofl:

U-Ute
12-11-2015, 10:25 AM
No one is taking my Gifford Nielsen idea seriously. :mad:

TBH, he was just ahead of my time, so I did some quick research.

"He served as backup to Dan Pastorini (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Pastorini) in 1978–79 and to Ken Stabler (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Stabler) in 1980–81."

Kenny Stabler and Gifford "GA" Nielson on the same team? I bet those were fun times.

LA Ute
12-11-2015, 10:29 AM
Why not Steve? He doesn't need the money. He'd bring star power to the job. He's a great-great grandson of Brigham -- and a fifth cousin of mine. Perfecto.

U-Ute
12-11-2015, 10:31 AM
Why not Steve? He doesn't need the money. He'd bring star power to the job. He's a great-great grandson of Brigham -- and a fifth cousin of mine. Perfecto.

Maybe he doesn't want to work that hard and deal with guys like CJ.

Viking
12-11-2015, 10:33 AM
You fell into their trap. That is just what they want you to think and it worked.

That's funny.

NorthwestUteFan
12-11-2015, 12:45 PM

Pros:
Great guy, probably could be a decent coach, would be a dynamite recruiter , and is impossible to hate.

Cons:
Makes plenty as a broadcaster for far less hassle, zero/minimal actual coaching experience, and his Pro-Marriage Equality stance would be unwelcome by his new employers, possibly resulting in losing his Temple Recommend (depending on who his bishop and stake president are).

LA Ute
12-11-2015, 12:47 PM
Pros:
Great guy, probably could be a decent coach, would be a dynamite recruiter , and is impossible to hate.

Cons:
Makes plenty as a broadcaster for far less hassle, zero/minimal actual coaching experience, and his Pro-Marriage Equality stance would be unwelcome by his new employers, possibly resulting in losing his Temple Recommend (depending on who his bishop and stake president are).

Aw, they could get past that. I think football might move up to 4th, however. That might be a problem.

NorthwestUteFan
12-11-2015, 12:48 PM
And for the record, Brigham Young has something like 47,000 living descendants, so we are ALL 5th cousins to BY...

Rocker Ute
12-11-2015, 01:42 PM
And for the record, Brigham Young has something like 47,000 living descendants, so we are ALL 5th cousins to BY...

Well, just the more defective of you...

NorthwestUteFan
12-11-2015, 02:57 PM
Well, just the more defective of you...

I was speaking of the Royal 'We'.

LA Ute
12-11-2015, 03:33 PM

Steve and I share a 3rd great-grandfather. Say what you will. I am used to people being jealous of that fact.

Irving Washington
12-11-2015, 04:09 PM
Steve and I share a 3rd great-grandfather. Say what you will. I am used to people being jealous of that fact.

So Steve and you are cut of the same cloth?

Viking
12-11-2015, 04:46 PM
Welcome to the carousel, Ty Detmer.

LA Ute
12-11-2015, 04:49 PM
So Steve and you are cut of the same cloth?

He's a lot faster and has a better arm. I tell better jokes.

NorthwestUteFan
12-11-2015, 05:25 PM
He's a lot faster and has a better arm. I tell better jokes.

Both of you are left handed, and therefore you are evil.

LA Ute
12-11-2015, 05:32 PM
Both of you are left handed, and therefore you are evil.

Wrong again. I am multidextrous, using my left hand for activities like writing and eating, and my right for sports (except shooting pool). Mostly this means I am just confused.

NorthwestUteFan
12-11-2015, 07:28 PM
Welcome to the carousel, Ty Detmer.

I think Ty Detmer would be a good hire on the OC staff somewhere. He has a decade-plus of HS coaching experience, is the son of a successful HS coach, etc. It is in his blood. He may well be the next generation QB Whisperer for byu.

On our side I hope we go after Scott Mitchell as a qb coach. We meed SOMEBODY on the staff who actually understands how to QB. He learned a thing or two in his 12 years in the NFL, and it would be good for him to work out with Coach Whitt every day.

Wrong again. I am multidextrous, using my left hand for activities like writing and eating, and my right for sports (except shooting pool). Mostly this means I am just confused.

That's OK, I still love you ;)

Viking
12-12-2015, 03:07 AM
I think Ty Detmer would be a good hire on the OC staff somewhere. He has a decade-plus of HS coaching experience, is the son of a successful HS coach, etc. It is in his blood. He may well be the next generation QB Whisperer for byu.

On our side I hope we go after Scott Mitchell as a qb coach. We meed SOMEBODY on the staff who actually understands how to QB. He learned a thing or two in his 12 years in the NFL, and it would be good for him to work out with Coach Whitt every day.

That's OK, I still love you ;)

This is an interesting read.

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2015/1/27/7922421/second-order-wins-college-football-paul-chryst-ken-niumatalolo

sancho
12-12-2015, 07:01 AM
I'm going to start getting used to hating niumatalolo and will pull for army today.

Ain't no army rangers in the navy!

Ma'ake
12-12-2015, 08:05 AM
This is an interesting read.

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2015/1/27/7922421/second-order-wins-college-football-paul-chryst-ken-niumatalolo

I'm sensing the record and stats-obsessed blue hair BYU fans of old - think of the folks who got giddy when hearing Paul James saying "Marc Wilson has completed 28 passes in a row(!), which ties him with 5 other QBs in the history of college football!" - will come out of their nursing homes, out of the Alzheimers care centers, put on their royal blue fan gear of old, and return to LES to instruct the young people supporting 'The BYU' that it's the *stats* that are the true measure of success, and Coach Niumatalolo is leading BYU football to new levels of overachieving, the Flexbone is to be marveled at.

"It's part of our message unto the world. While opposing fans are getting glassy eyed watching the mighty BYU 'bone grind out 4 yards per play on the ground, local members can calmly and in a friendly way, approach them, and ask 'Have you ever wondered who Brigham Young was? Would you like to know more?'"

Viking
12-12-2015, 08:18 AM
I'm sensing the record and stats-obsessed blue hair BYU fans of old - think of the folks who got giddy when hearing Paul James saying "Marc Wilson has completed 28 passes in a row(!), which ties him with 5 other QBs in the history of college football!" - will come out of their nursing homes, out of the Alzheimers care centers, put on their royal blue fan gear of old, and return to LES to instruct the young people supporting 'The BYU' that it's the *stats* that are the true measure of success, and Coach Niumatalolo is leading BYU football to new levels of overachieving, the Flexbone is to be marveled at.

"It's part of our message unto the world. While opposing fans are getting glassy eyed watching the mighty BYU 'bone grind out 4 yards per play on the ground, local members can calmly and in a friendly way, approach them, and ask 'Have you ever wondered who Brigham Young was? Would you like to know more?'"

You are one weird dude.

Ma'ake
12-12-2015, 08:40 AM
You are one weird dude.

lol. I didn't think you'd appreciate that verbiage. :)

Free hint: Niumatalolo's statistical success as an overachiever is directly related to running the Flexbone at a military academy, much like Paul Johnson's success at both Navy and now at Georgia Tech. The Navy fanbase (and Air Force) appreciate the grind-it-out 'bone because it exemplifies teamwork, discipline, and achieving a lot with lesser talent.

I think Niumatalolo is probably the best candidate for BYU, but he'll either need to hire coaches to implement a more conventional offense and learn it, himself, or if getting "Ws" is the goal, he'll bring the Flexbone to Provo and he and Holmoe can try to get BYU fans to learn to appreciate it.

It would attempting to do the opposite of what Lavell did, which was bring the air game to college ball when other teams were running the Wishbone, Veer, etc.

Instead of Bronco's various and "interesting" slogans, the theme of BYU football could be "Be Different". Actually, all sarcasm aside, this may actually work, as BYU seeks to be a missionary device for the church, which urges people to choose a different path from the rest of the world. (I'm not being an ass here - I have too many good LDS friends and family to want to offend Mormons.)

(Also, I realize Utah's success in the PAC the past couple of years have not included an aerial circus, either. Special teams, defense, grind it out run game, opportunistic air game.)

Ma'ake
12-12-2015, 09:48 AM
I think BYU fans would projectile vomit if Niumatalolo announced next Tuesday they'll be running the flexbone, but I could see a scenario where he brings in a conventional offense and OC, they struggle a little, or have mediocre success against an increasingly difficult schedule, and over time Ken adds some option elements, and eventually they're running a modified Flexbone, with more air attack than that offense usually has.

In *that* scenario, maybe BYU fans embrace the unconventional style, and the extended independence model, and then a slogan could be "Choose a Different Path", or "Be Unconventional".

It could happen. I wouldn't bet any money on it, but that is a plausible path.

Viking
12-12-2015, 10:28 AM
I think BYU fans would projectile vomit if Niumatalolo announced next Tuesday they'll be running the flexbone, but I could see a scenario where he brings in a conventional offense and OC, they struggle a little, or have mediocre success against an increasingly difficult schedule, and over time Ken adds some option elements, and eventually they're running a modified Flexbone, with more air attack than that offense usually has.

In *that* scenario, maybe BYU fans embrace the unconventional style, and the extended independence model, and then a slogan could be "Choose a Different Path", or "Be Unconventional".

It could happen. I wouldn't bet any money on it, but that is a plausible path.

WTF are you talking about?

If Ken comes, we'll bring Ty Detmer and promote Kaufusi. And, we're kicking your ute asses next week and next year.

GarthUte
12-12-2015, 10:36 AM
I still don't see why Niumatalolo would leave Navy. He's put together a solid program and the players who are there will be the type to continue being a good team. They pay is better and the expectations of the fanbase is never going to be something he can't deliver, nor will they turn on him when the unrealistic expectations are not reached. Also, how great of a job is it to be coaching one of only three FCS teams that truly represent the entire country? If we really think about it, it doesn't get much higher profile than that.

Ma'ake
12-12-2015, 10:42 AM
WTF are you talking about?

If Ken comes, we'll bring Ty Detmer and promote Kaufusi. And, we're kicking your ute asses next week and next year.

Didn't you say last week it was going to be Ken, Anae and Sitake?

Here, let me throw you a bone: "Kicking our ute asses" may very well mean a cheap shot, somewhere during the game, visible on TV or not. (You're welcome. :) )

sancho
12-12-2015, 10:48 AM
I still don't see why Niumatalolo would leave Navy. He's put together a solid program and the players who are there will be the type to continue being a good team. They pay is better and the expectations of the fanbase is never going to be something he can't deliver, nor will they turn on him when the unrealistic expectations are not reached. Also, how great of a job is it to be coaching one of only three FCS teams that truly represent the entire country? If we really think about it, it doesn't get much higher profile than that.

I mostly agree with you, but coaches are competitive and don't like having the type of ceiling that Navy has. Gary Anderson cited academic standards as one of his problems with Wisconsin. It must be 10 times worse at Navy, and I can't imagine coaches there enjoy being so hamstrung when it comes to recruiting. Maybe they are always thinking "if only I could go out and really recruit, I could put together something amazing," and maybe they are right. Plus, Navy doesn't have the same huge athletic infrastructure in terms of teams of tutors and study centers for athletes.

BYU might also be seen as a better stepping stone job than Navy (not sure if this matters to Ken). Bronco just left for a P5 job after not really ever doing anything impressive. Meanwhile, how many P5 offers did Ken get at Navy after actually accomplishing something impressive?

Ma'ake
12-12-2015, 10:51 AM

I heard yesterday that Niumatalolo has two sons playing football out west (BYU and Boise), and a daughter in Hawai'i. He makes about $1.7M with Navy, BYU is prepared to pay $2M for the right guy.

I really don't think he's pressuring the Naval Academy for more money. His AD is already bent that this has become a distraction.

The only certainty, at this point, is if Niumatalolo says "no thanks" on Tuesday, it will be another round of gnashing of teeth among Coug nation.

NorthwestUteFan
12-12-2015, 11:30 AM
Was Ken N the qb at Hawaii in the game when Byron Rex gave the crowd the double bird as he dropped a huge F bomb on live TV (late game on KSL)? Or was he the QB who beat the tar out of byu the day after Ty Detmer won his Heisman?

sancho
12-12-2015, 11:46 AM
Or was he the QB who beat the tar out of byu the day after Ty Detmer won his Heisman?

What a great memory. Thanks for warming my holiday season.

sancho
12-12-2015, 01:18 PM
Just watched the game day interview with niumatololo. He sounds like someone who is leaving. He was talking like a pure BYU believer. He's not going to be hard to dislike.

NorthwestUteFan
12-12-2015, 01:20 PM
What a great memory. Thanks for warming my holiday season.

I recall I had a huge mission-wide meeting that day, and the night before everybody was bragging about the Heisman announcement. Heard lots of "Utah sucks! You went 4-7!" (They weren't wrong, we were still horrible in Ron McBride's first year).

Then we saw the score to the Hawaii game.

The schadenfreude was delicious, as it was again a few weeks later when ATM ripped off Ty Detmer's arms and used them to beat him senseless.

DrumNFeather
12-14-2015, 09:52 AM
Not sure if this has been posted here or not, but here's an interesting article about former Ute Brett Elliot as an up and comer in the coaching ranks: http://www.oregonlive.com/collegefootball/index.ssf/2015/12/former_linfield_qb_brett_ellio.html

LA Ute
12-14-2015, 10:19 AM
Not sure if this has been posted here or not, but here's an interesting article about former Ute Brett Elliot as an up and comer in the coaching ranks: http://www.oregonlive.com/collegefootball/index.ssf/2015/12/former_linfield_qb_brett_ellio.html

QB coach at Utah? Let Stubblefield go, make A-Rod the WR coach, and bring on Brett! What's wrong with that plan?

sancho
12-14-2015, 10:26 AM
QB coach at Utah? Let Stubblefield go, make A-Rod the WR coach, and bring on Brett! What's wrong with that plan?

I think better QB and WR coaches would be nice. Let Stubbs and ARod go to make room.

NorthwestUteFan
12-14-2015, 11:25 AM

Brett Elliott may be an up and comer in the coaching ranks, but why not pursue Scott Mitchell instead? He is a coach, played in the NFL and USFL for a dozen years, held a number of NCAA records, etc. If nothing else he could simply download everything his NFL QB coaches taught him over the years to the kids on the roster, and regale HS kids with tales of handing off the ball to Barry Sanders while sitting in their living rooms on recruiting trips.

What could possibly go wrong (other than his choosing to live a left-handed lifestyle)?

LA Ute
12-14-2015, 12:07 PM
Brett Elliott may be an up and comer in the coaching ranks, but why not pursue Scott Mitchell instead? He is a coach, played in the NFL and USFL for a dozen years, held a number of NCAA records, etc. If nothing else he could simply download everything his NFL QB coaches taught him over the years to the kids on the roster, and regale HS kids with tales of handing off the ball to Barry Sanders while sitting in their living rooms on recruiting trips.

What could possibly go wrong (other than his choosing to live a left-handed lifestyle)?

I've heard his name mentioned on talk radio but I don't think the Utah assistant jobs are entry-level positions any more. He'd need to have some D1 coaching experience.

Applejack
12-14-2015, 12:37 PM

NO thanks. He's a nice guy, but I want someone with successful coaching experience. Shareiff Shah has panned out (thus far) but that is more about recruiting and motivating teenagars.