PDA

View Full Version : A sports television thread

LA Ute
11-28-2015, 08:47 AM
ESPN Has Lost 7 Million Subscribers The Past Two Years (http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/espn-has-lost-7-million-subscribers-the-past-two-years-112515)
Excerpt:

Now that ESPN has officially admitted the loss of seven million subscribers over the past two years, we're left with the big question that continues to leave executives up late at night -- how massive is the potential subscriber loss going to be in the years to come? Are these seven million subscribers the beginning of a cord cutting onslaught or will subscriber losses lessen from this point forward? And here's the most important question: how many subscribers can ESPN lose before the business is no longer profitable enough to be the engine that drives the Disney bus?

Rocker Ute
11-28-2015, 10:16 AM
Interesting because ESPN is the sole reason I would ever sign back up for cable. I know more and more people cutting the cord and it is because cable rates are outrageous at this point. Just think of it, between cell phones Internet and TV most of us here are probably spending near $400/mo if not more that 10 -15 years ago you weren't spending.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

U-Ute
11-28-2015, 05:58 PM
Disney has started rolling out subscriptions to their content via the Internet. You can already pay to stream ESPN sans a cable/internet provider.

People don't like the packaging model that includes all the stuff they don't want.

Mormon Red Death
02-07-2016, 08:40 PM
I'm worried... I think I might get opioid induced constipation. Should I ask my doctor?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Rocker Ute
02-07-2016, 08:44 PM
I'm worried... I think I might get opioid induced constipation. Should I ask my doctor?

I always wondered what was causing that.

NorthwestUteFan
02-08-2016, 08:21 AM

Ask your doctor whether you should switch to The Chronic (MJ) for your chronic pain. It won't really cure you, but it will make what amounts to a shitty existence (living with chronic pain) far more tolerable.

NorthwestUteFan
02-08-2016, 08:51 AM
Disney has started rolling out subscriptions to their content via the Internet. You can already pay to stream ESPN sans a cable/internet provider.

People don't like the packaging model that includes all the stuff they don't want.
I am in the process of cutting the cord. I picked up a FireTV and did a free trial of SlingTV. It actually contains effectively all of the channels we watch (all of the ESPNs, A&E, HGTV, all the Disneys, Cartoon Network, etc. It has a decent picture over Wi-Fi but the picture was very good when plugged into the network.

That is a decent option, but it still is $20 per month + $5 for kids programming and another $15 each if you want HBO or Showtime, plus taxes. Plus Netflix. Plus a good high-speed internet connection.

That means the savings from cutting cable is pro ably not necessarily worth the marginal cost savings.

Side note: the Fire TV is great. And it is easy to modify since it runs on the Android/Fire TV operating system. I discovered how to install XBMC/Kodi on it and it will dual boot to either gui. Kodi gives access to (illegal) streams for essentially everything. Every TV show and every sports program you can think of is probably out there, along with every movie (including shows currently in the theater as well as screeners for upcoming movies). This fact must terrify the content providers out there.

Mormon Red Death
02-08-2016, 06:39 PM
Ask your doctor whether you should switch to The Chronic (MJ) for your chronic pain. It won't really cure you, but it will make what amounts to a shitty existence (living with chronic pain) far more tolerable.
But the church says it is real bad for me. Much worse than taking multiple percosets every day! :D

Utah
02-09-2016, 10:18 AM
But the church says it is real bad for me. Much worse than taking multiple percosets every day! :D

The Church also says beer is bad, but the D&C says beer is ok, but the D&C says meat is bad, but a lot of the 12 are obese....soooooooo....

"The philosophies of men mingled with scripture" perfectly describes the word of wisdom as it is nowadays.

LA Ute
02-09-2016, 10:54 AM
but a lot of the 12 are obese....

Actually, the current group puts a lot of other men their age to shame:

Two Utes
02-09-2016, 10:59 AM

They feel wanted and needed. They have a purpose for remaining alive. Take note all of you. Find a purpose. Be needed. You will live longer.

I just wish they didn't think it was still 1981.

Utah
02-09-2016, 11:33 AM
That's a good point Two Utes. Live for something. That is probably the biggest lesson I'm trying to teach my kids. Find something to live for. Then attack it. Go after it. Do something other than go to work, watch tv, then go to work.

SavaUte
02-11-2016, 12:25 PM
Back on topic, it looks like MLB will be offering single team streaming subscriptions for $85/year. This is what I'd like for the Utes. Hopefully it's coming soon.

http://www.engadget.com/2016/02/11/mlb-tv-subscription-changes-lawsuit/

Dwight Schr-Ute
02-11-2016, 12:41 PM
Back on topic, it looks like MLB will be offering single team streaming subscriptions for $85/year. This is what I'd like for the Utes. Hopefully it's coming soon.

http://www.engadget.com/2016/02/11/mlb-tv-subscription-changes-lawsuit/

Streaming only works well if every game is archived. I think this is where the Pac-12 Network has really fallen short. They own the content but there's no way to access it until you can watch it live.

Utah
02-11-2016, 02:11 PM
Streaming only works well if every game is archived. I think this is where the Pac-12 Network has really fallen short. They own the content but there's no way to access it until you can watch it live.

I know the PAC-12 archives all their games that they own. I've watched a couple Football in 60 of Utah from this past year already.

Applejack
05-25-2016, 08:59 AM
Missed this announcement in all the hullabullo about storming the court/field:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865654954/Pac-12-to-lower-number-of-late-Saturday-football-games.html

Less games at 3AM next year! WOO! DnF, you chose the wrong time to head West.

LA Ute
08-31-2016, 06:49 PM
The PAC-12 Network has hired someone to help get that Direct TV deal:

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2016/08/29/Media/Pac12Networks.aspx

Sullyute
08-31-2016, 07:38 PM
The PAC-12 Network has hired someone to help get that Direct TV deal:

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2016/08/29/Media/Pac12Networks.aspx

How come all of the titles to those type of positions seem like something from an Onion article?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Ma'ake
09-01-2016, 07:47 AM
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-cord-cutting-accelerating-20160829-snap-story.html

Helps explain ESPN and Fox squawking about the Big-12's expansion rumblings.

U-Ute
09-08-2016, 09:23 AM
Sling TV adds PAC-12 Network.

http://www.streamingobserver.com/sling-tv-adds-starz-pac-12-network-windows-10-support/

chrisrenrut
09-08-2016, 09:34 AM
Sling TV adds PAC-12 Network.

http://www.streamingobserver.com/sling-tv-adds-starz-pac-12-network-windows-10-support/

Anyone here using SlingTV exclusively, and can comment on the quality and price? I'm looking to ditch Comcast, and would rather not go with either of the satellite companies.

NorthwestUteFan
09-08-2016, 11:14 AM
Set up the free demo and see what you think. The quality was decent, but I doubt they stream 1080 (let alone 4k ). The interface is kludgy.

But this is a valid option. I will try it again this year.

Utah
09-08-2016, 11:21 AM
Anyone here using SlingTV exclusively, and can comment on the quality and price? I'm looking to ditch Comcast, and would rather not go with either of the satellite companies.

Don't dump comcast to go with a satellite company. Comcast is a million times better. Do dump comcast to go with nothing. I'd be happy with just Netflix, HBO and PAC-12 Network. And now that I can stream the PAC-12 network...I might be done with Comcast as well.

NorthwestUteFan
09-08-2016, 11:22 AM
SlingTV is owned by Dish Networks.

. Also, when I tried it I couldn't get any better than 720p quality. Granted most sports broadcasts are in 720p, so maybe that is something that will improve later.

But no feed from Comcast or streaming has ever approached the quality of the OTA feed (e.g. Seahawks games). That is just the nature of the beast, and OTA will always kill everything when it comes to bandwidth (at least within the near future).

U-Ute
09-08-2016, 11:29 AM
Don't dump comcast to go with a satellite company. Comcast is a million times better.

Man... your experience is significantly different than mine, that's for sure.

concerned
09-08-2016, 11:39 AM
Re Comcast, you need to live in an area where Google Fiber is moving in. We just renewed with Comcast for two years--they upgraded internet speed to 250 and upgraded our modem and router to their fastest avaiable, gave us HBO, Showtime and lots of other channels that we didn't subscribe to before, gave us a DVR, which we didn't have before, and reduced our monthly bill from about $250 to $130, for internet, cable, and landline. CenturyLink is going around our neighborhood making similar offers.

Diehard Ute
09-08-2016, 11:42 AM
Comcast is a game. Always has been, but having had satellite they're certainly no worse.

My bill jumped 2 months ago. I called and in 10 minutes it was lower than what I had been paying.

Rocker Ute
09-08-2016, 12:13 PM
Re Comcast, you need to live in an area where Google Fiber is moving in. We just renewed with Comcast for two years--they upgraded internet speed to 250 and upgraded our modem and router to their fastest avaiable, gave us HBO, Showtime and lots of other channels that we didn't subscribe to before, gave us a DVR, which we didn't have before, and reduced our monthly bill from about $250 to $130, for internet, cable, and landline. CenturyLink is going around our neighborhood making similar offers.

Yup, Google Fiber has already saved me a ton of money, and I don't even have it yet.

I did the same with CenturyLink (threatened to switch to Google Fiber) and I am currently paying $24/mo for 100mbps.

-------

For the questions above about quality of SlingTV, I cut the cord a few years back now and have streamed Netflix, done over the air (or wireless TV as I like to call it) and have turned Sling on and off as needed.

I've been fairly happy with the quality of SlingTV although the user interface is a bit clunky, but that is true of everything that isn't regular TV. I've been streaming HD and the picture is fine. On occasion it will get pixelated, but I'm not sure if that is a Sling problem or a bandwidth problem. Like most streaming media it can be up to 30 seconds behind live TV, so you may want to ditch your phone during the games if you are like my family and text each other during events.

If those things are issues for you, you may want to wait a bit. I don't get hung up on it myself, but it will be an adjustment.

For those keeping score, here is my current TV/Phone/Internet expense:

1. Ooma Landline Phone: One time $99 charge, free* after that (*you still have to pay about $3 in taxes, emergency service fees)
2. CenturyLink Internet: $24/mo
3. TV - Netflix: $8.99/mo, SlingTV with sports package, $24.99 month (month to month so I turn it on and off)

Monthly that is ~$60/mo during sports, ~$35/mo off-season

Other upfront expenses:
Roku or AppleTV for each TV (we just have two) $59 to $159 - The newest AppleTV allows for app development and has a SlingTV app, and is my favorite interface. If it had the Amazon Prime player we'd probably drop netflix. It also allows me to easily stream my computer or iPhone onto my TV. Roku is good and has more apps, likely has a screen sharing app for PCs. Amazon Fire Sticks are $30, but a little slow and clunky.

The best part is my kids have no tolerance for TV ads, can't stand them. When we watch normal TV they are get way irritated that their show has been paused for high intensity noise.

Diehard Ute
09-08-2016, 08:29 PM
So what's in the sports package? Espn channels, Fox channels? Does it give me the ability to stream on the espn and Fox apps?

Looks like ESPN comes in the orange package. Fox Sports is in the sports package.

My big issue would be the lack of major networks. (No CBS no ABC). I DVR everything, it's nice to be able to DVR and watch in whatever room I want.

concerned
09-08-2016, 08:51 PM
So what's in the sports package? Espn channels, Fox channels? Does it give me the ability to stream on the espn and Fox apps?

So far as I know, it gets every Sports Network, including all the conference networks, MLB, NFL, NBA, Golf Channel. I stream the Pac-12 network on my laptop. I'm not aware of any sporting event I have been unable to watch that I wanted to.
In fact, I could stream games on the Pac-12 network that were not on the mountain Network on television. So you could get all the regional networks streamed. Now that's not going to be a problem, because I understand all the feeds will have the national games

NorthwestUteFan
09-08-2016, 10:57 PM
If you pay for 3 months of Sling they will give you a Roku 2 or a discounted Appletv.

Diehard Ute
09-08-2016, 11:01 PM
If you pay for 3 months of Sling they will give you a Roku 2 or a discounted Appletv.

Better to spend the $140 on a new AppleTV. I have an old and new. New one is a big leap, much better remote, better resolution, 7.1 sound compatibility, Siri (which if you have an iPhone allows HomeKit) etc

NorthwestUteFan
09-08-2016, 11:02 PM
Also, only the USC and ASu games are on FS1. You won't really need to keep the full package all season. That is something to keep in mind.

Diehard Ute
09-08-2016, 11:09 PM
Also, only the USC and ASu games are on FS1. You won't really need to keep the full package all season. That is something to keep in mind.

You will if you want basketball games.

You'll need Orange/Sports for ESPNU, PAC12 and ESPN News. (You do get access to the watch ESPN app)

NorthwestUteFan
09-09-2016, 07:20 AM

You'll need Orange/Sports for ESPNU, PAC12 and ESPN News. (You do get access to the watch ESPN app)

This is great news, because that app is much better than the Sling app.

Devildog
09-09-2016, 06:36 PM

Damn, really? The LDS apostles in a sports television thread? This place is ridiculous. Cougarboard is this bad.

SavaUte
09-14-2016, 10:11 AM
So what package do I need to get for all of my Utah needs? Orange plus sports?

NorthwestUteFan
09-14-2016, 10:48 AM

Does the WatchESPN app come only with the Orange package, or is it part of the Sports pack?

Also for some reason I can't sign up for the Blue package without the order also including the Orange. And then I have to add the Sports pack on top. At this rate the new Dish (pseudo) a la carte plans will be cheaper.

Diehard Ute
09-14-2016, 12:29 PM
I think the App comes with Orange, but you have to have the sports pack to get Pac-12/Fox Sports so it's kind of a moot point.

NorthwestUteFan
09-14-2016, 01:00 PM
No actually Fox Sports is only on Blue, can't be added to Orange. Fs1 is the only thing I really need to buy. I don't mind getting the Blue plus Sports pack, but was hoping that would include WatchESPN.

NorthwestUteFan
09-14-2016, 01:09 PM
So what package do I need to get for all of my Utah needs? Orange plus sports?
The USC and Arizona games are on FS1, as are a number of basketball games. The PAC channels come with the Sports pack and FS1 is on Blue.

It might be worth getting Orange+Sports, then either adding Blue for the weeks of USC/ASU then cancelling if Sling will prorate service for the month, or bite the bullet and get the Full Meal Deal for Sept 23 through Nov 10.

Prob still cheaper than a sports bar.

Diehard Ute
09-14-2016, 01:33 PM
The USC and Arizona games are on FS1, as are a number of basketball games. The PAC channels come with the Sports pack and FS1 is on Blue.

It might be worth getting Orange+Sports, then either adding Blue for the weeks of USC/ASU then cancelling if Sling will prorate service for the month, or bite the bullet and get the Full Meal Deal for Sept 23 through Nov 10.

Prob still cheaper than a sports bar.

So this is where it's a bit confusing with them.

ESPN is only in Orange. Fox Sports is only in Blue.

To get both you have to subscribe to Orange AND Blue, which is $40. But to get ESPNU you have to subscribe to the sports package as well.

And on top of that if you only do Orange, you get one stream. You have to have Blue or Orange And Blue to get 3 streams.

NorthwestUteFan
09-14-2016, 01:37 PM
I need to call them. It is too confusing.

I actually just want *legal* access to the WatchESPN app, and will need to think of something else for FS1. I can very easily find illegal access to the app and feeds or borrow a friend's. It is only messy when I want to get them legally.

sancho
02-28-2017, 02:59 PM
This looks promising. For $35, you get all the college football you want (though I don't see the pac-12 network on there):

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2017/02/28/google-is-going-after-cable-with-its-own-streaming-service-youtube-tv/?tid=sm_tw&utm_term=.75732d6ae311

That's a much better deal that Sling.

Scorcho
03-06-2017, 10:39 AM
ESPN cutting $100 million in salaries (on air talent)

http://www.outkickthecoverage.com/espn-cutting-nearly-100-million-in-on-air-talent-030617

that NBA contract is killing this network

snafu
04-26-2017, 02:31 PM
Just noticed that Ted Miller was one of those that got cut today. One of the few reasons I liked espn.com, and now he's gone. It's a shame really.

Diehard Ute
04-26-2017, 05:08 PM
They cut Chantel Jennings as well. Pretty much gutted their long term Pac-12 coverage. (With Gemmell leaving a few months ago)

Diehard Ute
04-27-2017, 10:20 AM
Andy Katz, no longer with ESPN

sancho
04-27-2017, 11:11 AM
Andy Katz, no longer with ESPN

I always thought Katz was good for his connections but not so much for his writing or analysis. He always knew who was going where or what was happening. Maybe that's not so valuable anymore in a Twitter world. We all know who is going where and what is happening. We don't need Katz to break the story for us anymore. Just a half-baked thought that I'm sure SoCal will correct.

U-Ute
08-25-2017, 09:18 AM
The inside story about why the PAC-12 Networks isn't on DirecTV.

TL;DR - Both sides have their own concerns and they couldn't agree.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/08/24/pac-12-networks-the-inside-story-of-the-directv-impasse-part-two-of-the-pac-12-hotline-series/

Scorcho
10-05-2017, 09:37 AM
while its not yet available to some igloo's in Canada its progress ...

Jon Wilner‏Verified account @wilnerhotline (https://twitter.com/wilnerhotline) 2h2 hours ago (https://twitter.com/wilnerhotline/status/915937120937799680)More

major new distribution deal for the @Pac12Network (https://twitter.com/Pac12Network), albeit in China: Alibaba will show 175 live events annually:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-05/alibaba-buys-broadcast-rights-to-slate-of-pac-12-college-sports?cmpid=socialflow-twitter-business&utm_content=business&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

0 replies0 retweets2 likes

Retweet

Direct message

Sullyute
10-05-2017, 10:44 AM
Great news for China 🇨🇳

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Scorcho
02-09-2018, 01:41 PM
very good article on Larry Scott and the PAC-12 Network future

http://www.sportcal.com/Insight/Interviews/116379

LuckyUte
02-10-2018, 09:04 PM

That is an interesting article, if not a bit solicitous of Scott. That said, as someone who lives in an area where the network is not available on cable packages and with physical limitations to get Dish, it seems a generation to wait until 2024 for the network to be untethered from cable or dish subscriptions so that I can simply pay them directly and watch.

SoCalPat
02-12-2018, 11:10 AM

I respect most of Scorcho's opinions. His assertion that this is a very good article is the rare one that misses the mark entirely. This is the article Larry Scott wants you to read to have you feel good about the direction the Pac-12 is moving in. At the same time, the word football appears all of five times in the story, all in cursory, afterthought tones.

This story is not from a reputable sports journalism platform. SportCal is an England-based sports marketing firm that is in no way in touch with the struggles and frustration Pac-12 fans feel. Not a single outside source was spoken to on the record on this story. It's as fluffy as cotton candy and not worth your 10 minutes to read it.

Scorcho
02-12-2018, 09:16 PM
I respect most of Scorcho's opinions. His assertion that this is a very good article is the rare one that misses the mark entirely. This is the article Larry Scott wants you to read to have you feel good about the direction the Pac-12 is moving in. At the same time, the word football appears all of five times in the story, all in cursory, afterthought tones.

This story is not from a reputable sports journalism platform. SportCal is an England-based sports marketing firm that is in no way in touch with the struggles and frustration Pac-12 fans feel. Not a single outside source was spoken to on the record on this story. It's as fluffy as cotton candy and not worth your 10 minutes to read it.

Jon Wilner was the one who referenced this article in his last blog. That is where I came across it.

I readily admit that I am fascinated with the approach that the PAC 12 has taken in regards to sports programming. I'm intrigued by the forward thinking of not being a television entity but a content entity. I can see that by the time the next TV contracts roll around that the conference may have deals with ESPN, Fox along with Google, Twitter, Amazon and Facebook. While the PAC 12 may have sacrificed $$$ in the short term not being on Direct TV, I think they are the best positioned long term financially by owning their own content.

i like to read about this stuff regardless of the source.

SoCalPat
02-13-2018, 12:40 PM
Jon Wilner was the one who referenced this article in his last blog. That is where I came across it.

I readily admit that I am fascinated with the approach that the PAC 12 has taken in regards to sports programming. I'm intrigued by the forward thinking of not being a television entity but a content entity. I can see that by the time the next TV contracts roll around that the conference may have deals with ESPN, Fox along with Google, Twitter, Amazon and Facebook. While the PAC 12 may have sacrificed $$$ in the short term not being on Direct TV, I think they are the best positioned long term financially by owning their own content.

i like to read about this stuff regardless of the source.

We're forward thinking ourselves out of relevance.

I'm as much a fan of the sports TV biz as anyone, or at least I make it a point to stay current. But we're seven years into life in the Pac-12 and six with Pac-12 nets and the $$$ gulf between us and the Big 10 and SEC is widening. We're well into the long term, and there's nothing to suggest the money is going to get better anytime soon. Our best assistants are taking similar jobs in other leagues. We're losing more and more top recruits outside the footprint. The Pac-12 network is part of the problem in our slow descent into irrelevancy. This story is nothing more than Larry talking about things few people care about. And what's so great about content if nobody's watching it? ... https://www.mercurynews.com/2017/09/21/p12n-xxxxx/

Scorcho
02-13-2018, 01:04 PM
We're forward thinking ourselves out of relevance.

I'm as much a fan of the sports TV biz as anyone, or at least I make it a point to stay current. But we're seven years into life in the Pac-12 and six with Pac-12 nets and the $$$ gulf between us and the Big 10 and SEC is widening. We're well into the long term, and there's nothing to suggest the money is going to get better anytime soon. Our best assistants are taking similar jobs in other leagues. We're losing more and more top recruits outside the footprint. The Pac-12 network is part of the problem in our slow descent into irrelevancy. This story is nothing more than Larry talking about things few people care about. And what's so great about content if nobody's watching it? ... https://www.mercurynews.com/2017/09/21/p12n-xxxxx/

I think we are arguing 2 different things?

If PAC-12 Fandom were anywhere near Big 10/SEC levels, I would agree with you. Those conferences deserve to make more based on simple supply and demand. The market has dictated the PAC-12 pecking order and unfortunately the PAC-12 is better aligned with the Big XII and ACC.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I maintain that owning its own content will be valuable financially for the PAC-12 in the future years. A Direct TV contract with the PAC-12 would only yield another 1-2 million per school. It helps, but the gap is still wide. Unless you can somehow shift population and passion from East to West, I don't see an answer.

SoCalPat
02-13-2018, 05:22 PM
I think we are arguing 2 different things?

If PAC-12 Fandom were anywhere near Big 10/SEC levels, I would agree with you. Those conferences deserve to make more based on simple supply and demand. The market has dictated the PAC-12 pecking order and unfortunately the PAC-12 is better aligned with the Big XII and ACC.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I maintain that owning its own content will be valuable financially for the PAC-12 in the future years. A Direct TV contract with the PAC-12 would only yield another 1-2 million per school. It helps, but the gap is still wide. Unless you can somehow shift population and passion from East to West, I don't see an answer.

We need to expand our brand nationally, yet we keep limiting ourselves to regional interests -- the 6 channels, courting local/regional cable deals instead of DirecTV among them.

I agree that there are limitations based on geography and time zone constraints. Which makes our emphasis on the Olympic sports more restrictive. And who cares about China? Maybe first Larry should find a way to get more league games done before 11 p.m. EST before figuring out how to promote the league in foreign markets. Our TV efforts are a disaster, and recruits are taking notice.

tooblue
04-08-2018, 06:53 PM
Don't know if this was posted:

Some ADs grumble about Pac-12 Networks’ payouts, distribution

https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/article/Some-ADs-grumble-about-Pac-12-Networks-10910339.php

Utah athletic director Chris Hill said he hasn’t been satisfied with the network either in its payouts or distribution. “From the ADs’ standpoint, we expected more,” he said ...

But those advances haven’t stemmed the criticism. The inability to land DirecTV, in particular, “is making the gap bigger and bigger” in comparison with the other conference networks, said Utah’s Hill.

LA Ute
04-09-2018, 08:52 AM
Don't know if this was posted:

Some ADs grumble about Pac-12 Networks’ payouts, distribution

https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/article/Some-ADs-grumble-about-Pac-12-Networks-10910339.php

The PAC-12 Network has been a disappointment and needs improvement. Everyone who's paying attention acknowledges this, so I think your gloating about that fact is becoming silly. It will get better. Like many innovations it is hitting some bumps in the road.

tooblue
04-09-2018, 09:54 AM
The PAC-12 Network has been a disappointment and needs improvement. Everyone who's paying attention acknowledges this, so I think your gloating about that fact is becoming silly. It will get better. Like many innovations it is hitting some bumps in the road.

I'm not gloating. I was just adding to the thread. The hard reality is content is king. No matter how great the supposed innovation (and to be fair it ain't all that innovative), if your content isn't good, that innovation is worthless.

sancho
04-09-2018, 09:58 AM
I'm not gloating.

This is as ridiculous - though far less offensive - as utah's statement about the handcarts.

tooblue
04-09-2018, 11:10 AM
This is as ridiculous - though far less offensive - as utah's statement about the handcarts.

I'm seriously not gloating. This thread is fascinating, as a reflection of what is happening in college sports. The current media rights structure is unsustainable, and it will be interesting to see what happens.

At some point USC, as well as Oregon and UCLA to lessor degrees are going to say enough and do their own thing. Just as Texas has done in the Big12.

tooblue
04-13-2018, 09:56 AM
Report: Comcast To Dump Big Ten Network

https://www.cornnation.com/2018/4/12/17231298/report-comcast-to-dump-big-ten-network

Scorcho
04-13-2018, 10:44 AM
Report: Comcast To Dump Big Ten Network

https://www.cornnation.com/2018/4/12/17231298/report-comcast-to-dump-big-ten-network

sports programming seems as volatile as ever

Rocker Ute
04-13-2018, 11:29 AM
sports programming seems as volatile as ever

The money associated with these deals has never made a lot of sense to me and the perpetual escalation seems unsustainable. I have no idea how anyone is making money with their overhead and making payouts like they do to the schools and conferences.

LA Ute
04-13-2018, 02:59 PM
I'm seriously not gloating.

Well, you might have an idea about why we might think that.

Scorcho
11-20-2018, 05:06 PM
I think this is a hint at what's coming, although I'm not smart enough to figure this all out

https://pac-12.com/article/2018/11/20/pac-12-conference-goes-all-amazon-web-services (http://Pac-12 and Amazon extend partnership)

BREAKING: Amazon bids for 22 regional sports networks Walt Disney must divest in Fox deal; Amazon, Blackstone also join Yankees with bids for YES Network; 2nd round bids expected before year-end - sources

https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/1064892675374178310

LA Ute
12-07-2018, 06:48 AM
ESPN returns 'SportsCenter' to its roots: 'I think we miscalculated a little bit'

https://www.courant.com/sports/olympics/ct-spt-espn-sports-center-changes-20181205-story.html

Scorcho
01-17-2019, 12:57 PM
PAC-12 Networks has taken a beating lately from outsiders, but its refreshing to hear another viewpoint. This sports media expert meets with Wilner to discuss why he is bullish about the future of the PAC-12.

https://www.mercurynews.com/tag/pac-12-hotline-podcast/

this is about as good as it gets if you're into this type of stuff

concerned
01-17-2019, 01:20 PM
PAC-12 Networks has taken a beating lately from outsiders, but its refreshing to hear another viewpoint. This sports media expert meets with Wilner to discuss why he is bullish about the future of the PAC-12.

https://www.mercurynews.com/tag/pac-12-hotline-podcast/

this is about as good as it gets if you're into this type of stuff

The future of the Pac 12 Network is the orgiastic green light that recedes before us year by year.