PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Nfl Draft and the Utes

UtahsMrSports
12-20-2015, 09:32 PM
With the season over, time to look forward to the draft. I personally dont like the NFL but I like following our guys.

That said, thoughts on which guys will be drafted? I think Norris will. Beyond that im not sure. Itll be fun to watch!

sancho
12-20-2015, 10:45 PM
That said, thoughts on which guys will be drafted? I think Norris will. Beyond that im not sure.

Well, Booker. Right?

DrumNFeather
12-21-2015, 06:58 AM
During the game, they ran their draft rankings at the bottom:

Norris #3 ILB
Fanika #11 DE
Booker #5RB
Paul #18 ILB
Aiono $11 C
Hackett #11 P (I suspect that went up)
Scott #27 WR
Carter #20 S
Wilson #27 QB
Whittingham #28 ILB
Christian #57 CB
Patrick #76 WR
Poole #80 WR

As aside, he's got the following for the Cougs

Kaufusi #19 DE (I think he'll be higher than that ultimately)
Mathews #18 G
Hill #18 QB
Blackmon #59 WR
Matthews #60 WR
Pikula #39 ILB
Williams #46 RB

DrumNFeather
12-21-2015, 06:59 AM
So, of the Utes on that list, I suspect we'll actually see 5-6 drafted and I bet one of those guys is Hackett.

Redbird
12-21-2015, 08:13 AM
So, of the Utes on that list, I suspect we'll actually see 5-6 drafted and I bet one of those guys is Hackett.

Not many kickers/punters get drafted. Can he be successful from a "traditional" punt formation on a consistent basis? It wouldn't be surprising if he makes someone's roster for the preseason, but I'd bet against him being drafted.

DrumNFeather
12-21-2015, 08:27 AM
Not many kickers/punters get drafted. Can he be successful from a "traditional" punt formation on a consistent basis? It wouldn't be surprising if he makes someone's roster for the preseason, but I'd bet against him being drafted.

The only reason I think he could get drafted at a position where, you're right, not many do, is that he's proven to be such a weapon at that position and I just wonder if some NFL team will see that as worth the risk with a 6th-7th rounder, particularly those squads that end up with 2-3 compensatory 7th round picks.

SoCalPat
12-22-2015, 10:06 AM
The only reason I think he could get drafted at a position where, you're right, not many do, is that he's proven to be such a weapon at that position and I just wonder if some NFL team will see that as worth the risk with a 6th-7th rounder, particularly those squads that end up with 2-3 compensatory 7th round picks.

Hackett's gotta prove he can kick with authority from a two-step approach. The rules about being downfield on punts differ greatly in the NFL than they do the college game, which is why rugby style punting is a non-starter in the NFL. His resume alone makes him nowhere close to a lock to getting drafted.

DrumNFeather
12-22-2015, 10:43 AM
Hackett's gotta prove he can kick with authority from a two-step approach. The rules about being downfield on punts differ greatly in the NFL than they do the college game, which is why rugby style punting is a non-starter in the NFL. His resume alone makes him nowhere close to a lock to getting drafted.

I agree. I just wonder if someone with a few extra picks in the 7th might take a flyer on him to not have to play the free agent game with him. There have been plenty of Utes that I thought were locks to get drafted and didn't. The NFL is certainly a different animal.

concerned
12-22-2015, 11:25 AM
hang time is everything in the pros. Hackett's current style doesnt generate it.

Diehard Ute
12-22-2015, 01:39 PM
hang time is everything in the pros. Hackett's current style doesnt generate it.

But he can kick it that way.

I've watched him do it over and over in warm ups. 55-70 yard beautiful spirals.

He actually tried to lobby the staff to let him kick a few more traditional punts towards the end of the season but wasn't successful.

His workouts will be what determines his fate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UBlender
12-22-2015, 04:43 PM
But he can kick it that way.

I've watched him do it over and over in warm ups. 55-70 yard beautiful spirals.

He actually tried to lobby the staff to let him kick a few more traditional punts towards the end of the season but wasn't successful.

His workouts will be what determines his fate

IIRC he kicked one like that in the Vegas Bowl and it looked pretty good. I agree, he didn't do many traditional style punts but when he did he looked just fine. Better than other potential draftees/free agents? I have no idea.

Dwight Schr-Ute
02-28-2016, 11:36 AM
Solid article on Jason Faniaka at the combine.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/25496748/nfl-combine-utah-dl-jason-fanaika-returns-to-indy-with-unlikely-nfl-future

Applejack
02-29-2016, 11:40 AM
Faniaka turns in the second highest high jump out of the D-lineman. Congrats! Gionni has the slowest 40 time for any linebacker. Drat.

Also, Nick Vigil (USU) is quick.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2016/02/live_updates_nfl_scouting_comb_4.html

Utah
02-29-2016, 11:49 AM
We, as fans, place way too much stock in the combine. The combine is nothing more than a mental test.

Paul's time was slow and it could cause some scouts to pause, but if his time is in the 4.8-4.9 range at his pro day, it will be irrelevant. The reality with Paul is he is too small. He was probably never getting drafted anyways, BUT he would get a FA spot due to his production in the PAC-12.

His 40 time doesn't change that. Oh, and teams who draft based on the combine (Oakland) usually end up falling on their face. The combine is more important for players from mid-majors than P5 schools. It allows players like Kaufusi to show that he didn't dominate crap competition, but that he belongs.

For players like Paul or Norris...it doesn't do much...unless they fail their physical or mental tests.

chrisrenrut
02-29-2016, 11:57 AM
Faniaka turns in the second highest high jump out of the D-lineman. Congrats! Gionni has the slowest 40 time for any linebacker. Drat.

Also, Nick Vigil (USU) is quick.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2016/02/live_updates_nfl_scouting_comb_4.html

Paul tweeted that he had hamstring issues, contributing to his lower than expected 40 time. He hopes to improve it on Pro Day.

SoCalPat
03-02-2016, 02:31 PM
Paul tweeted that he had hamstring issues, contributing to his lower than expected 40 time. He hopes to improve it on Pro Day.

He needs to fire his agent for allowing him to even run, then. Or turn down the combine invite altogether.

Applejack
03-02-2016, 02:38 PM
He needs to fire his agent for allowing him to even run, then. Or turn down the combine invite altogether.

Agreed. That run cost him money.

Dwight Schr-Ute
07-28-2016, 03:07 PM
The Jets cut Tom Hackett today.

DrumNFeather
07-28-2016, 03:12 PM
The Jets cut Tom Hackett today.

Jerks.