PDA

View Full Version : Pease retiring, Scalley new DC

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-04-2016, 01:44 PM
John Pease is retiring and Morgan Scalley named the new DC.

http://www.utahutes.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/010416aab.html

(Hopefully no one tells Hill.)

LA Ute
01-04-2016, 01:44 PM
Just saw this. It appears to be legit. Interesting!

UtahsMrSports
01-04-2016, 01:46 PM
Yep. Im excited for Coach Scalley, he has earned it. Itll be fun to see how this shakeup effects teh whole staff. Id imagine we will need a new special teams coordinator.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-04-2016, 01:46 PM
Just saw this. It appears to be legit. Interesting!

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-04-2016, 01:47 PM
It's weird that he's going to be the defensive coordinator for both Utah and BYU. #sources

Applejack
01-04-2016, 01:52 PM
john pease is retiring and morgan scalley named the new dc.

(hopefully no one tells hill.)

swish!

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-04-2016, 02:22 PM
With Weddle out in San Diego, I assume that he'll be back filling for Morgan as safety coach.

Jarid in Cedar
01-04-2016, 02:27 PM
I could see Powell move to DL coach. He is misfit on offense

LA Ute
01-04-2016, 02:33 PM
So, I have the following:

HC: Whittingham
Assistant HC: Erickson

OC: Harding/Roderick
DC: Scalley
Special teams coordinator: open
Recruiting coordinator: open

Oline: Harding
QB: Roderick
WR: open
TE: Powell
RB: Erickson

Dline: open
LB: Ena
DB: Shah
S: open

That's a lot of openings. We can hire two, right? I assume Scalley will keep the safeties? Whittingham will go back to special teams coordinator? That would leave WR, Dline, and recruiting coordinator.

Isn't Whit the Special Teams guy?

LA Ute
01-04-2016, 02:39 PM
According to other sites, Goon is reporting the new coach will be the special teams coordinator and recruiting coordinator. I can't find Goon saying this.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-04-2016, 02:44 PM
According to other sites, Goon is reporting the new coach will be the special teams coordinator and recruiting coordinator. I can't find Goon saying this.

Replacing Pease as the Utes' defensive coordinator will be Morgan Scalley, a former Utah safety who has been on head coach Kyle Whittingham's staff since 2008. He was also Utah's special teams' coordinator in 2015 and the recruiting coordinator for the past seven seasons. While Scalley will continue to coach the safeties, a new coach will be appointed to oversee the special teams and recruiting.

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/3377965-155/utah-football-john-pease-retires-morgan

concerned
01-04-2016, 02:47 PM
Since CH hates Morgan Scalley for leaking KW's laundry to the press, I assume that KW promoted MS to give CH the middle finger before both KW and MS leave for UCLA.

(just kidding)

Utebiquitous
01-04-2016, 03:13 PM
I could see Powell move to DL coach. He is misfit on offense

I'm told Sione Pouha will be the D'Line coach. Powell will stay on the offensive side. He's proving to be very good with the tight ends and is just a terrific person/coach liked by all. His players really respect/like him. Sitake came after Pouha and Ena. He couldn't afford Ena and Whittingham asked Pouha to be patient for a year and he was willing to do so. His faith/commitment will pay off a year early.

Jarid in Cedar
01-04-2016, 03:22 PM
I'm told Sione Pouha will be the D'Line coach. Powell will stay on the offensive side. He's proving to be very good with the tight ends and is just a terrific person/coach liked by all. His players really respect/like him. Sitake came after Pouha and Ena. He couldn't afford Ena and Whittingham asked Pouha to be patient for a year and he was willing to do so. His faith/commitment will pay off a year early.

Does Sione have his degree now?

Sullyute
01-04-2016, 03:50 PM
So is this a good thing that it was announced a month before signing day? Does this mean that we are open to hiring coaches outside the BYU/Utah/Idaho State coaching tree to fill these roles?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Utebiquitous
01-04-2016, 03:58 PM
Does Sione have his degree now?

I don't know Jarid - just reporting what I was told from within the program.

wally
01-04-2016, 04:51 PM
Awesome! I am in the Scalley fan club!

mpfunk
01-04-2016, 04:57 PM
There is one thing that I will never question as long as Whittingham is the coach at Utah, his hiring of a defensive coordinator.

I really like the hire. It keeps a good recruiter on the staff who has reportedly gotten interest from other programs. All I want from a Utah DC is a good recruiter that will run the defense the way Whittingham tells him to run it.

mpfunk
01-04-2016, 04:59 PM
For the DLine coach, I'm not sure why we would want to go outside the Utah tree. Seems like there are a lot of good options there.

For the offense, we've already been willing to reach out - Erickson and Stubblefield.

Nothing is broken on the defensive side of the ball, so don't fix it. Go get the best person from the Utah tree to coach the position.

The offense is a God damn mess, go get the best QB coach that you can get to fix the problem. Move A-Rod back to WRs.

DrumNFeather
01-04-2016, 07:00 PM
Speaking of former players...hasn't Luther Ellis been a part of the program in some capacity over the last few seasons?

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Diehard Ute
01-04-2016, 08:20 PM
Speaking of former players...hasn't Luther Ellis been a part of the program in some capacity over the last few seasons?

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

He was. But he's now the chaplain for the Denver Broncos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jarid in Cedar
01-04-2016, 09:02 PM
I don't know Jarid - just reporting what I was told from within the program.

Thanks. I think Sione will be an excellent coach, I just didn't think he was an option yet.

Jarid in Cedar
01-04-2016, 09:02 PM
Does he need a degree to be an assistant? If so, I'd give him an honorary degree ASAP if Kyle wants to hire him.

Yes. You need a bachelor's to be an assistant

SeattleUte
01-04-2016, 11:21 PM
yes, I'm an apologist, but I have a comfy feeling that Whit's program is now really hitting its stride.

LA Ute
01-04-2016, 11:38 PM
yes, I'm an apologist, but I have a comfy feeling that Whit's program is now really hitting its stride.

I agree. 1746

UtahsMrSports
01-05-2016, 08:04 AM
With less than a month until signing day, it will be very interesting to see how we fill out the staff.

I am sure some of you saw the twitter machine explode yesterday when someone pointed out that Guy Holliday has "recently" followed a lot of Ute fans/coaches on twitter. And then the amaeteur reporters came out saying its all but a done deal. (Check out the timeline of @CheshSports. The guy is sort of the BYU version of Comrade Crimson; always looking for fights and to overreact to everything. "Fire coach x!" is always his battle cry after a loss. He is one of these guys who reads something on a message board and then says "I'm hearing that.........")

I wouldn't mind Holliday at all. If we could move Powell to the Dline, Holliday at receivers, Roderick to tight ends and then hire a QB coach, that would be awesome!

U-Ute
01-05-2016, 08:40 AM
I agree. 1746

This can't be good.

UtahsMrSports
01-05-2016, 08:53 AM
Do we need a recruiting coordinator? If so, can Arod do that as OC? Can Scalley keep it as DC?

Lots out names out there, and I like them all. This is more fun than the start of last year's off-season.

I still like Pouha, but the degree might be an obstacle. I've heard 3 names for wrs, but I haven't heard one name yet for qbs. Who could we chase there?

No doubt Brandon Doman will campaign for it on his next visit to 1280 teh zone!

Applejack
01-05-2016, 09:33 AM
Awesome! I am in the Scalley fan club!

:highfive:

With Pouha on board (allegedly) there are a lot of local guys on staff that I vaguely know!

U-Ute
01-05-2016, 09:49 AM

With Pouha on board (allegedly) there are a lot of local guys on staff that I vaguely know!

I'm sure they'd like to keep it that way.

UBlender
01-05-2016, 10:12 AM
Do we need a recruiting coordinator? If so, can Arod do that as OC? Can Scalley keep it as DC?

Lots out names out there, and I like them all. This is more fun than the start of last year's off-season.

I still like Pouha, but the degree might be an obstacle. I've heard 3 names for wrs, but I haven't heard one name yet for qbs. Who could we chase there?

Scalley said on 700 yesterday that someone else would take over as recruiting coordinator.

Names for QB coach: Brett Elliott, Darnell Arceneaux....Sark according to some (not me).

SeattleUte
01-05-2016, 10:49 AM
Scalley said on 700 yesterday that someone else would take over as recruiting coordinator.

Names for QB coach: Brett Elliott, Darnell Arceneaux....Sark according to some (not me).

Sark is not far-fetched. It wouldn’t be the first time Whit brought in a big name former Pac 12 coach who’d struggled with alcoholism and needed a place to dry out and stay connected with football. He recruits like crazy and was Pete's OC. I think he'd be a terrific addition.

DrumNFeather
01-05-2016, 11:07 AM
I'm on record as pro-Sark, but it's not clear how much of a negative effect his troubles will have on his recruiting.

As long as we are mentioning old BYU QBs, where's John Beck these days?

I believe he is in the CFL.

Rocker Ute
01-05-2016, 12:39 PM
I'm on record as pro-Sark, but it's not clear how much of a negative effect his troubles will have on his recruiting.

As long as we are mentioning old BYU QBs, where's John Beck these days?

With Sark's lawsuit he has effectively made himself unhireable... he's created two risks now. First he might relapse and have problems and if so, he might sue you if you have to let him go. Some schools might have been able to look past his problems or accept he was rehabilitated, but most schools can assume the extra risk he has created.

DrumNFeather
01-05-2016, 12:54 PM
With Sark's lawsuit he has effectively made himself unhireable... he's created two risks now. First he might relapse and have problems and if so, he might sue you if you have to let him go. Some schools might have been able to look past his problems or accept he was rehabilitated, but most schools can assume the extra risk he has created.

And with Kyle's propensity to be conservative, it's hard to imagine he would take a risk like this...even if it could pay big dividends. I will say this, Brett Elliot has carved out a nice coaching career for himself as the Co-OC/QB Coach at JMU here in Virginia that team put up some points this year.

mUUser
01-05-2016, 01:13 PM
I'm on record as pro-Sark, but it's not clear how much of a negative effect his troubles will have on his recruiting.......

Not just recruiting kids, we're recruiting the parents as well. Parents want their kids to go to the right environment, and I'm not talking about an LDS environment, just one where the adults act like adults. The guy is a high profile lush. What parent in their right mind is gonna give him the time of day right now?

SeattleUte
01-05-2016, 01:43 PM
Not just recruiting kids, we're recruiting the parents as well. Parents want their kids to go to the right environment, and I'm not talking about an LDS environment, just one where the adults act like adults. The guy is a high profile lush. What parent in their right mind is gonna give him the time of day right now?

I'm sure he quit drinking.

LA Ute
01-05-2016, 01:50 PM
I'm sure he quit drinking.

It's not hard to imagine Sark speaking to high school kids about the dangers of excessive drinking, helping with fundraisers for treatment programs, and the like. He could be a redemption story. It's just a question of timing. I'm just not sure Whitt wants to take that on this soon. Maybe a year or two down the road. If you talk to most recovering alcoholics (and I have worked, in a supportive role, with quite a few) they would tell you that in the early stages of recovery it's not a good idea to accept an employment position of trust. You don't need that pressure when you have just started on the road to recovery. But after establishing a track record, people in recovery can be great role models.

mpfunk
01-05-2016, 02:17 PM
Brett is my top choice of the few names mentioned so far.

I'd be happy if he was hired as Utah's QB coach. I'm not upset if the Utes hire Holliday, because you are getting a really good recruiter. I'm just worried that we are going to see the same issues on offense next year without a change of QB coach.

UtahsMrSports
01-05-2016, 03:31 PM
I'd be happy if he was hired as Utah's QB coach. I'm not upset if the Utes hire Holliday, because you are getting a really good recruiter. I'm just worried that we are going to see the same issues on offense next year without a change of QB coach.

How about both?

LA Ute
01-05-2016, 03:40 PM
I still haven't seen anything that reassures me about Poly recruits. With Kalani at BYU will Utah ever land another Poly recruit again?

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-05-2016, 03:47 PM
I still haven't seen anything that reassures me about Poly recruits. With Kalani at BYU will Utah ever land another Poly recruit again?

Nope. Well, none after Nacua.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-05-2016, 03:48 PM
Nope. Well, none after Nacua.

Or as paraphrased from CS, "Just the dumb ones."

U-Ute
01-05-2016, 04:12 PM
Or as paraphrased from CS, "Just the dumb ones."

Smart or dumb, I just want the good ones.

Applejack
01-05-2016, 04:28 PM
Smart or dumb, I just want the good ones.
Get over it. It's a pipedream to think we'll get any Tongans.

wally
01-05-2016, 04:46 PM

:rockon:

Scalley will do well. My general impression is that Scalley is Whittingham 20 years ago. Maybe not in personality, but certainly in terms of intelligence, toughness, and intensity.

SeattleUte
01-05-2016, 09:00 PM
You guys are satirizing BYU fans. Right?

LA Ute
01-05-2016, 09:10 PM
You guys are satirizing BYU fans. Right?

You don't seem to grasp the grim reality we are facing: Our Poly pipeline is officially dead. So is any hope of our getting Texas recruits. Because Detmer.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-05-2016, 09:35 PM
You don't seem to grasp the grim reality we are facing: Our Poly pipeline is officially dead. So is any hope of our getting Texas recruits. Because Detmer.

Not just Texas players but high school kids in general, since Detmer was such as successful high school coach. I actually saw someone on CB argue that his HS experience will be a benefit because he's had plenty of practice of dumbing down his offense from an NFL level to a HS level.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-05-2016, 11:38 PM
Hans claiming that the Holliday hire is a done deal.

U-Ute
01-06-2016, 07:21 AM
Not just Texas players but high school kids in general, since Detmer was such as successful high school coach. I actually saw someone on CB argue that his HS experience will be a benefit because he's had plenty of practice of dumbing down his offense from an NFL level to a HS level.

The BYU Rationalization Feedback Loop is in full effect right now.

It'll be interesting to see what happens if they lose a few games.

I have to say that I admire their eternal optimism. That whole Faith Based belief system does have its perks when you can apply it to every day aspects of your life.

mpfunk
01-06-2016, 08:09 AM

Who wouldn't want to play for Heisman winner Ty Detmer? With that hire they have officially the best OC in the nation and are now the number one recruiting destination.

Did you know that Ty Detmer is 100% responsible for all of Brett Favre's success?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

wally
01-06-2016, 08:21 AM

I'm with you, LA. I'm not going to enjoy watching my fellow Utes come back down to Earth and begin to realize the massive crater of a hole that BYU's return to glory is going to leave us in.

U-Ute
01-06-2016, 08:34 AM
Who wouldn't want to play for Heisman winner Ty Detmer? With that hire they have officially the best OC in the nation and are now the number one recruiting destination.

Did you know that Ty Detmer is 100% responsible for all of Brett Favre's success?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I heard a story that Detmer had to explain to Favre what a "nickel defense" was, during a QB meeting in Green Bay.

Normally my responses lately have been one liner jabs, but this apparently is a true story.

kccougar
01-06-2016, 08:44 AM
I heard a story that Detmer had to explain to Favre what a "nickel defense" was, during a QB meeting in Green Bay.

Normally my responses lately have been one liner jabs, but this apparently is a true story.

See 4:45 mark of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqS7nMv5l7s

LA Ute
01-06-2016, 09:09 AM
Sports Illustrated, just now:

Utah hires wide receivers coach Guy Holliday away from BYU

http://www.si.com/college-football/2016/01/05/guy-holliday-wide-receivers-coach-utah-utes

DrumNFeather
01-06-2016, 09:45 AM
Feed Whittingham to TEs/Recruiting Coordinator, Lewis Powell to DL, and Guy official.

LA Ute
01-06-2016, 10:06 AM
Didn't Powell play D line in college?

LA Ute
01-06-2016, 10:07 AM
Feed Whittingham to TEs/Recruiting Coordinator, Lewis Powell to DL, and Guy official.

Looks like A-Rod will continue as QB coach. Am I missing something?

SeattleUte
01-06-2016, 10:24 AM
I want Sark for qb coach! Sark recruited Troy Williams to UW when Williams was the number 1 rated dual threat high school quarterback in the nation and had offers from everywhere. They had known each other since Williams was 15. It would be a sweet reunion after each has experienced some unexpected challenges.

UtahsMrSports
01-06-2016, 10:41 AM
Looks like A-Rod will continue as QB coach. Am I missing something?

Per Whitt, the staff is complete.

Also read that Fred W had interviewed at BYU. They wanted his recruiting connections. So Kyle just went and promoted him. I love the decision. Here is to hoping we can finish strong for this class.

LA Ute
01-06-2016, 10:49 AM
Per Whitt, the staff is complete.

Also read that Fred W had interviewed at BYU. They wanted his recruiting connections. So Kyle just went and promoted him. I love the decision. Here is to hoping we can finish strong for this class.

Interesting that Kalani tried to poach Fred.

I guess Whitt is satisfied with A-Rod's work coaching the QBs (namely, Travis for the most part).

DrumNFeather
01-06-2016, 11:00 AM
Interesting that Kalani tried to poach Fred.

I guess Whitt is satisfied with A-Rod's work coaching the QBs (namely, Travis for the most part).

Or perhaps he, like many fans, puts the onus on Travis' limitations and wants to see what the staff can do with someone else. Kyle strikes me as a "do your job" kind of guy. So maybe he is taking the "it's your job to fix this, so fix it" kind of approach.

mpfunk
01-06-2016, 11:39 AM

I like having continuity on the staff. It is nice that we don't have a ton of turnover this year, it was needed to keep things as stable as possible. The defensive staff is great. I'm happy to have Powell on the dline. If Whittingham thinks he will be a good dline coach, he will be a good dline coach. I have no reason to doubt that.

I'm incredibly underwhelmed with how the offensive staff was handled. On multiple occasions we have had a golden opportunity to bring in a QB coach to address our most glaring issue over the entire Whittingham era. We still aren't addressing that and it is concerning. I'm happy with Guy Holliday being hired. I have no opinion on Fred Whittingham Jr. Maybe he will be a great coach/recruiter, but we needed a new QB coach and we don't have one.

UBlender
01-06-2016, 11:40 AM
Overall I like the staff. I, like many Ute fans, was hoping to see a new QB coach as part of the shakeup and am a little disappointed we didn't get that. But on the whole I do think the staff got better.

Holliday has to be an upgrade over Stubblefield at WR coach, probably a significant upgrade. Stubbs had zero impact on recruiting so Holliday should be a major upgrade there. While I don't know who to blame for all of Utah's issues with WR play and the passing game in general I have to think that Holliday helps there too. (It might be simply due to recruiting better WRs, but that's fine with me).

Replacing Pease with Fred Whittingham clearly isn't an upgrade in terms of coaching, but may be a recruiting upgrade. I know the kids liked Pease and I'm sure his NFL coaching experience was helpful on the recruiting trail. But I'm not sure that many were drawn to Utah because of that. Fred gives Utah a very energetic recruiter with all of the local connections. I've heard his personality is very different from Kyle who doesn't relish recruiting as much as many coaches do.

Also, the domino effect works very well to make the coaching aspect very adequate if not an overall upgrade. Scalley won't be a better DC than Pease out of the gates but has been prepared for this moment and will still have Pease around the program as a resource. Scalley is as prepared as one can be as a first time DC. Powell also can't be considered an upgrade from Pease at DL initially but it is his natural position and he's prepared for it and simply has to maintain what has already been done. Also should still have Sione Pouha on the staff to help there. Fred Whittingham at TEs should work fine. That is a move made to get Fred in recruits' living rooms, but as a former FB and football lifer he should be able to handle the TEs just fine--shouldn't be any downgrade from Powell coaching that spot.

I'd have been elated to see Utah bring in a QB coach like Brett Elliott, move ARod to TEs and keep Fred in his old position. Hopefully the QB play picks up but we're putting a lot of eggs in the basket of "Travis Wilson was the problem and now things will be better with a new QB". The WR play should also improve with Holliday. I hope it works out and I also hope that no P5 school comes after Elliott so that we can still get him on staff in the future.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-07-2016, 02:16 PM
Shah and Ena with co-coach special teams. MOAR co-s!!!

U-Ute
01-07-2016, 04:48 PM
Is it my imagination, or is the TE position coach the "entry level" position coach at the U?