PDA

View Full Version : March Madness 2016

Pages : [1] 2 3

chrisrenrut
02-11-2016, 09:09 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ca96lecUUAAS5qL?format=pjpg&name=large

DrumNFeather
02-29-2016, 10:10 AM
In case you are looking for who to root for/against, here are the current projected 3,4,5 seeds by Lunardi:

Maryland (vs. Illinois - W, @Indiana)
Kentucky (@Florida - W, vs. LSU)
Oregon (@UCLA - W, @USC)
WVU (vs. Texas Tech - W, @Baylor)

Utah (vs. Colorado)
Duke (vs. Wake - W, vs. UNC)
Iowa St. (vs. OSU - W, @Kansas)
Iowa (@Indiana - L, @Michigan)

Texas (@Kansas - L, @OSU)
Indiana (vs. Iowa - W, vs. Maryland)
Purdue (@Nebraska - W, vs. Wisconsin)
Texas A&M (@Auburn - W, vs. Vandy)

DrumNFeather
03-02-2016, 06:21 AM
The smaller league tournaments get underway this week. Here are the league's and top seeds:

Atlantic Sun - 1. North Florida
Big South - 1. High Point
Colonial - 1. Hofstra
Horizon - 1. Valpo
MAAC - 1. Monmouth (Could nab an at-large with a loss)
MVC - 1. Wichita St.
NEC - 1. Wagner
OVC - 1. Belmont
Patriot - 1. Bucknell
SoCon - 1. Chattanooga
Summit - 1. IPFW
WCC - 1. Saint Marys.

SoCalPat
03-02-2016, 12:17 PM
The smaller league tournaments get underway this week. Here are the league's and top seeds:

Atlantic Sun - 1. North Florida
Big South - 1. High Point
Colonial - 1. Hofstra
Horizon - 1. Valpo
MAAC - 1. Monmouth (Could nab an at-large with a loss)
MVC - 1. Wichita St.
NEC - 1. Wagner
OVC - 1. Belmont
Patriot - 1. Bucknell
SoCon - 1. Chattanooga
Summit - 1. IPFW
WCC - 1. Saint Marys.

The WCC, MVC and Sun Belt (not listed here) all have the potential to be two-bid leagues

Utah
03-02-2016, 12:47 PM
The WCC, MVC and Sun Belt (not listed here) all have the potential to be two-bid leagues

How in the world would the WCC be a two bid league?

UtahsMrSports
03-02-2016, 01:04 PM

If st marys does not win the conference tournament, they may sneak in. Thats the only scenario. Gonzaga and BYU are both playing thier way in. Zero chance of an at large bid for either.

redastheycome
03-02-2016, 01:07 PM

Zags and St. Mary's reach the conference tournament finals, Zags win the game and the autobid, St. Mary's (barely) squeaks in as an at-large. Would require additional carnage in other conference tournaments and therefore not a highly probable outcome, IMO. But it's not out of the realm of possibility - note that SCP did say "potential".

Utah
03-02-2016, 01:41 PM
I disagree. The WCC is so weak this year. It's pathetic. I don't see how that conference gets more than one bid. St. Mary's shared the conference title with a weak Gonzaga team.

Yeah, the WCC could get two teams. BYU could get into the Big 12. Whitt could incorporate a pass game.

Doesn't mean it has a realistic shot at happening.

SoCalPat
03-02-2016, 02:25 PM
I disagree. The WCC is so weak this year. It's pathetic. I don't see how that conference gets more than one bid. St. Mary's shared the conference title with a weak Gonzaga team.

Yeah, the WCC could get two teams. BYU could get into the Big 12. Whitt could incorporate a pass game.

Doesn't mean it has a realistic shot at happening.

The WCC has been a threat to be a two-bid league for nearly a decade. I'm not saying it will be that way this year, but it doesn't necessarily deserve to be lumped in with true, no-doubt-about-it one-bid leagues like the A-Sun and the MEAC, for example. Those leagues have zero percent shot at being 2-bid leagues. With the WCC, I'd put it at about 25 percent. Lunardi has the WCC with two, with Gonzaga being the last team in the field.

SoCalPat
03-02-2016, 02:29 PM
The WCC has been a threat to be a two-bid league for nearly a decade. I'm not saying it will be that way this year, but it doesn't necessarily deserve to be lumped in with true, no-doubt-about-it one-bid leagues like the A-Sun and the MEAC, for example. Those leagues have zero percent shot at being 2-bid leagues. With the WCC, I'd put it at about 25 percent. Lunardi has the WCC with two, with Gonzaga being the last team in the field.

And it doesn't bring me joy to way the WCC has two-bid potential when the MWC (whose schools I always look on fondly) is much closer to no-doubt-about-it one bid league status this year than the WCC is.

Utah
03-02-2016, 03:17 PM
I agree with everything you've said, but the WCC and MWC are just SOOO weak this year. It would shock me if the WCC did not have two teams next year, but this year...there just aren't two deserving teams.

sancho
03-02-2016, 03:31 PM
I agree with everything you've said, but the WCC and MWC are just SOOO weak this year. It would shock me if the WCC did not have two teams next year, but this year...there just aren't two deserving teams.

Well, someone has to get in. The bubble by definition consists of questionable resumes. BYU made it in the past couple years basically on 1 win over Gonzaga and a bunch of meh.

Utah
03-02-2016, 06:48 PM
Well, someone has to get in. The bubble by definition consists of questionable resumes. BYU made it in the past couple years basically on 1 win over Gonzaga and a bunch of meh.

Fair point.

DrumNFeather
03-04-2016, 11:06 AM
From the Atlantic Sun: Florida Gulf Coast (Andy Enfield's old stomping grounds) beat #1 Seed North Florida last night and will host #7 Stetson on Sunday. If FGCU wins, they get the auto-bid. If Stetson wins, North Florida gets the auto-bid because Stetson is banned from tournament play.

chrisrenrut
03-04-2016, 11:38 AM
From the Atlantic Sun: Florida Gulf Coast (Andy Enfield's old stomping grounds) beat #1 Seed North Florida last night and will host #7 Stetson on Sunday. If FGCU wins, they get the auto-bid. If Stetson wins, North Florida gets the auto-bid because Stetson is banned from tournament play.

It's about time Stetson was held accountable for their awful cologne from the 80's.

DrumNFeather
03-04-2016, 12:16 PM
It's about time Stetson was held accountable for their awful cologne from the 80's.

Totally agree. I'm glad someone has finally decided to man up and punish them.

DrumNFeather
03-04-2016, 01:20 PM
The Shockers survive a big scare from Loyola. Have to wonder though if we'll see the bubble shrink before this thing is done in St. Louis.

SoCalPat
03-04-2016, 01:51 PM
The Shockers survive a big scare from Loyola. Have to wonder though if we'll see the bubble shrink before this thing is done in St. Louis.

Since the Valley tournament moved to St. Louis, Wichita State has only won it once -- their undefeated season three years ago. As much as I hate to say it, someone's gonna get them in this tournament.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
03-04-2016, 10:39 PM
I love this time of year, as amazing as the NCAA tourney is I think conf championship week is more fun to watch. The end of the OVC semifinal between Austin Peay and Belmont was fantastic, I could not care less about the OVC.

Jarid in Cedar
03-05-2016, 12:14 AM
I love this time of year, as amazing as the NCAA tourney is I think conf championship week is more fun to watch. The end of the OVC semifinal between Austin Peay and Belmont was fantastic, I could not care less about the OVC.

And that is the magic of this time of year. I find myself interested in games between teams I have zero rooting interest. In fact, I think that adds to the enjoyment.

sancho
03-05-2016, 08:49 AM
And that is the magic of this time of year. I find myself interested in games between teams I have zero rooting interest. In fact, I think that adds to the enjoyment.

Tournaments are great, but you guys are too early. The regular season is still on! We have conference races and Duke/UNC today!

American is down to SMU and Temple. SMU has Cincy tomorrow, and Temple has Tulane.

A-10. VCU has a 1 game lead over Dayton, St Bonaventure, and St Joe's. VCU @ Dayton today.

ACC. Miami and UNC have 1 game lead over Louisville and UVa. UNC @ Duke today. Miami @ VaTech, Louisville @ UVa.

Kansas wins the Big12. Nova wins the Big East. Indiana wins the Big10.

SEC. Kentucky and A&M have a 1 game lead over LSU and Vandy. Vandy @ A&M, and LSU @ Kentucky today.

DrumNFeather
03-05-2016, 03:46 PM
Since the Valley tournament moved to St. Louis, Wichita State has only won it once -- their undefeated season three years ago. As much as I hate to say it, someone's gonna get them in this tournament.
Just one day later, prophecy fulfilled. UNI takes them out...and the bubble shrinks by 1.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

sancho
03-05-2016, 03:48 PM
Just one day later, prophecy fulfilled. UNI takes them out...and the bubble shrinks by 1.

Man, those guys killed us, and now they might be left out.

SoCalPat
03-07-2016, 09:49 AM
Man, those guys killed us, and now they might be left out.

Wichita State ain't missing the dance. They're 11th in Pomeroy (No. 1 nationally in defense), 24th in BPI, 47th in RPI and a bulk of their losses came with VanVleet injured early in the season. Lunardi has WSU has a 7 seed. BYU gets a single-digit seed as an at-large selection before WSU gets sent to the NIT.

sancho
03-07-2016, 10:59 AM
Wichita State ain't missing the dance. They're 11th in Pomeroy (No. 1 nationally in defense), 24th in BPI, 47th in RPI and a bulk of their losses came with VanVleet injured early in the season. Lunardi has WSU has a 7 seed. BYU gets a single-digit seed as an at-large selection before WSU gets sent to the NIT.

Right, I didn't look at any numbers. I was just reacting to tweets from bball writers saying WSU might get left out.

They might end up with a seed that will make some low seed angry.

DrumNFeather
03-08-2016, 08:54 AM
Of the completed tournaments, only one #1 seed has won it: Chattanooga. All others have been lower seeded teams.

In the remaining games that have the final yet to play, two of them (WCC and NEC) are #1 vs. #2. The other two (Horizon and Summit) feature non #1 seeds playing for the auto-bid.

U-Ute
03-08-2016, 10:21 AM
Valpo ties the game with this shot to send it into OT.

They eventually lose, but I like how this tournament is shaping up!

https://vine.co/v/iXE2jdZPJv2

Rocker Ute
03-08-2016, 11:04 AM
Valpo ties the game with this shot to send it into OT.

They eventually lose, but I like how this tournament is shaping up!

https://vine.co/v/iXE2jdZPJv2

:highfive::highfive:It's the most wonderful time of the year....

DrumNFeather
03-08-2016, 07:13 PM
If Gonzaga gets the autobid, they will be a really annoying 11 or 12 seed.

DrumNFeather
03-08-2016, 09:07 PM
If Gonzaga gets the autobid, they will be a really annoying 11 or 12 seed.

And the Zags are in...along with S. Dakota St., F. Dickenson, and Green Bay.

Scorcho
03-08-2016, 10:07 PM
And the Zags are in...along with S. Dakota St., F. Dickenson, and Green Bay.

I've heard a rumor that the series Utah wants to replace BYU with is Gonzaga

sancho
03-08-2016, 10:33 PM

I thought we tried that once. We beat them, so they cancelled the rest of the games. Am I making this up?

NorthwestUteFan
03-08-2016, 10:51 PM
Gonzaga would be an interesting game next year. Wiltjer will be gone but Nigel Williams-Goss will be the starting PG. He was dangerous at UW last year.

NorthwestUteFan
03-08-2016, 10:52 PM
Also, did St Mary's RPI go up after losing to Gonzaga tonight? They beat Gonzaga twice during the season.

Utebiquitous
03-08-2016, 11:03 PM
BYU or not on our schedule I've been hammering on Jim Soto to push Gonzaga as an annual game - or nearly annual game - for the past few years. It just makes sense. It seems that Arizona plays them frequently. I'd love to join them. The McCarthy brothers (who I believe have their name on Gonzaga's arena or some part of it) are Salt Lakers and have given generously to Utah basketball as well. I would think they could help get it done. I'll have to ask Jim about it again. Jim can't make the game happen but he has a strong relationship with Coach K.

sancho
03-09-2016, 07:02 AM
BYU or not on our schedule I've been hammering on Jim Soto to push Gonzaga as an annual game - or nearly annual game - for the past few years. It just makes sense. It seems that Arizona plays them frequently. I'd love to join them. The McCarthy brothers (who I believe have their name on Gonzaga's arena or some part of it) are Salt Lakers and have given generously to Utah basketball as well. I would think they could help get it done. I'll have to ask Jim about it again. Jim can't make the game happen but he has a strong relationship with Coach K.

This makes sense just because they are a good mid major in the west? Wouldn't we prefer games against P5s? Big 10, Big 12 opponents?

SoCalPat
03-09-2016, 09:00 AM
This makes sense just because they are a good mid major in the west? Wouldn't we prefer games against P5s? Big 10, Big 12 opponents?

I don't have a burning desire to play Gonzaga annually, but it makes far more sense to play the Zags than it would your No. 5 team from the aforementioned conferences.

What we need is for our exempt tournaments to be stacked affairs. This year's in Puerto Rico was a good one. Next year's Diamondhead in Hawaii is a big bowl of meh. I really hope Larry has something up his sleeve for the non-con, because next year's schedule (thus far) is really unappealing. We've had it pretty good the last two years and I'd like to see that continue.

sancho
03-09-2016, 09:02 AM
What we need is for our exempt tournaments to be stacked affairs. This year's in Puerto Rico was a good one. Next year's Diamondhead in Hawaii is a big bowl of meh.

The Puerto Rico looked rather meh a year ago, though. Who knew Miami, Temple, and Texas Tech would end up being good?

DrumNFeather
03-09-2016, 09:32 AM
I don't have a burning desire to play Gonzaga annually, but it makes far more sense to play the Zags than it would your No. 5 team from the aforementioned conferences.

What we need is for our exempt tournaments to be stacked affairs. This year's in Puerto Rico was a good one. Next year's Diamondhead in Hawaii is a big bowl of meh. I really hope Larry has something up his sleeve for the non-con, because next year's schedule (thus far) is really unappealing. We've had it pretty good the last two years and I'd like to see that continue.

He claimed as much during his coaches show right after the whole canceling BYU flap. Let's see what he's got!

U-Ute
03-09-2016, 11:23 AM
NCAA Tournament champion predictions by state.

http://collegespun.com/acc/north-carolina/map-every-state-predicts-which-team-will-win-the-2016-ncaa-tournament

Why are all the people in Washington state picking Villanova? I find that choice strange.

SoCalPat
03-09-2016, 11:28 AM
The Puerto Rico looked rather meh a year ago, though. Who knew Miami, Temple, and Texas Tech would end up being good?

There isn't a league repped in that tournament past Utah that's as good as the ACC or Big 12, although the American will have one team in it (Tulsa).

DrumNFeather
03-09-2016, 12:22 PM
Syracuse goes down in the first round of the ACC tournament to Pitt...weakening its chances to stay in the field.

U-Ute
03-10-2016, 11:08 AM
Tournament flashback.

Dat step back.

fKbLHkDvhk8

sancho
03-10-2016, 02:33 PM
Duke-ND going into OT after Duke blows 16 point second half lead. Once again, someone grabs 20 rebounds against Duke. Happening pretty much every game now.

Diehard Ute
03-10-2016, 06:37 PM
Refs in the Virginia-Ga Tech game call a Flagrant 1 on a complete acting job by a Virginia player.

Replays clearly show no contact was ever made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrumNFeather
03-11-2016, 06:22 AM
Weber St. is the #1 seed and in the semifinals of the Big Sky tourney. I wonder if the committee would have enough of a sense of humor to put them against us in a 3/14 or 4/13 match up in the first round. Would be kinda fun (should they win their conference tourney).

DrumNFeather
03-11-2016, 10:21 AM
Lots of potential bid stealers playing today...mostly in quarterfinals. As of right now, here are the teams playing that Lunardi does not currently have in the field:

Richmond - LOST (playing Dayton – in projected as a 6) – Quarterfinal
Michigan - WON (playing Indiana – in projected as a 3) - Quarterfinal
South Florida - LOST (playing Temple – in projected as an 11) – Quarterfinal
Florida - LOST (playing A&M – in projected as a 4) – Quarterfinal
UConn - WON(playing Cincy – in projected as a 9) – Quarterfinal
Illinois - LOST (playing Purdue – in projected as a 4) – Quarterfinal
GW - LOST (playing Saint Joe’s – in projected as last four byes) – Quarterfinal
Tennessee vs. LSU (both projected out) – Quarterfinal
UMASS - LOST (playing VCU – in projected as a 9) – Quarterfinal
Ohio St - LOST (playing Mich St – In projected as a 2) – Quarterfinal
Alabama - LOST(playing Kentucky – in projected as a 4) – Quarterfinal
Nebraska - LOST(playing Maryland – in projected as a 5) – Quarterfinal
Tulsa vs. Memphis (both projected out) – Quarterfinal
Nevada - LOST (playing SDUS – in projected as an 11) – Semifinal (Does SDSU have the resume to get an at-large?) 22-8, RPI of 42, 1-3 vs. RPI top 25, BPI of 60.
Davidson - WON (playing Saint Bonaventure – in projected as a 10 – last four byes) - Quarterfinal
Georgia - WON (playing South Carolina – in projected as a 9) – Quarterfinal

SoCalPat
03-11-2016, 11:34 AM
Lots of potential bid stealers playing today...mostly in quarterfinals. As of right now, here are the teams playing that Lunardi does not currently have in the field:

Richmond (playing Dayton – in projected as a 6) – Quarterfinal
Michigan (playing Indiana – in projected as a 3) - Quarterfinal
South Florida (playing Temple – in projected as an 11) – Quarterfinal
Florida (playing A&M – in projected as a 4) – Quarterfinal
UConn (playing Cincy – in projected as a 9) – Quarterfinal
Illinois (playing Purdue – in projected as a 4) – Quarterfinal
GW (playing Saint Joe’s – in projected as last four byes) – Quarterfinal
Tennessee vs. LSU (both projected out) – Quarterfinal
UMASS (playing VUC – in projected as a 9) – Quarterfinal
Ohio St (playing Mich St – In projected as a 2) – Quarterfinal
Alabama (playing Kentucky – in projected as a 4) – Quarterfinal
Nebraska (playing Maryland – in projected as a 5) – Quarterfinal
Tulsa vs. Memphis (both projected out) – Quarterfinal
Nevada (playing SDUS – in projected as an 11) – Semifinal (Does SDSU have the resume to get an at-large?) 22-8, RPI of 42, 1-3 vs. RPI top 25, BPI of 60.
Davidson (playing Saint Bonaventure – in projected as a 10 – last four byes) - Quarterfinal
Georgia (playing South Carolina – in projected as a 9) – Quarterfinal

The MWC is a one-bid league and that saddens me. Fortunately, they'll get their best team in. UNLV's elimination all but assured it.

DrumNFeather
03-11-2016, 11:45 AM
The MWC is a one-bid league and that saddens me. Fortunately, they'll get their best team in. UNLV's elimination all but assured it.

Crazy what has happened to that league.

Utah
03-11-2016, 11:47 AM
Weber St. is the #1 seed and in the semifinals of the Big Sky tourney. I wonder if the committee would have enough of a sense of humor to put them against us in a 3/14 or 4/13 match up in the first round. Would be kinda fun (should they win their conference tourney).

I think you meant as a 2/15 matchup.

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-11-2016, 11:58 AM

Winner gets the Kareem Abdu-Jabbar award.

UBlender
03-11-2016, 01:39 PM

I was driving to an appointment yesterday afternoon and listening to Utah State's near upset of SDSU. The USU PBP team was going bonkers near the end over a couple of calls. Did the Aggies get hosed? Did the MWC fix it to make sure SDSU didn't bounce early, which would kill any hope of an at-large bid from the league (tic, I think).

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-11-2016, 03:23 PM
Here's the insane finish to the third overtime of the Cinci and UCONN game. https://twitter.com/thecauldron/status/708412291876843520

U-Ute
03-11-2016, 03:27 PM
March Madness!!

LA Ute
03-11-2016, 04:57 PM
Here's the insane finish to the third overtime of the Cinci and UCONN game. https://twitter.com/thecauldron/status/708412291876843520

Wow! I thought there was a rule that only a tip-in would count with less than a second to go. Maybe that's the rule with even less time on the clock. Anyone know?

EDIT: Looks like 0:00.8 is enough time. There's a rule in the NBA about this, but only when there is less than 0:00.3 on the clock:

"If the game clock indicates 0:00.2 or 0:00.1 the only type of a valid field goal made is by tapping or directly dunking the ball."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trent_Tucker_Rule

Is the rule the same in college?

ANOTHER EDIT: I'm waiting to take off after a weather delay so my inner nerd took over and I did some research. Rule 5, Section 1, Article 18 of the rule book:

"In any period, when the game clock displays 10ths of seconds and play is to be resumed by a throw-in or a free throw when 3/10 (.3) of a second or less remains on the game clock, a player may not gain possession of the ball and try for a field goal. Such player can only score a field goal by means of a tap of the pass or of a missed free throw."

But what, then, does it define as a "tap"? Same rule and section, Article 7:

"A tap is a type of try for field goal whereby a player attempts to score two or three points by directing a live ball into his team's basket with his hands or fingers."

So now you know, if you didn't before.

sancho
03-11-2016, 07:17 PM
Anyone else just watch Tulane beat Houston? Go wave!

sancho
03-11-2016, 09:53 PM
Hield! A tenth of a sec too late.

Mormon Red Death
03-11-2016, 10:15 PM
I was driving to an appointment yesterday afternoon and listening to Utah State's near upset of SDSU. The USU PBP team was going bonkers near the end over a couple of calls. Did the Aggies get hosed? Did the MWC fix it to make sure SDSU didn't bounce early, which would kill any hope of an at-large bid from the league (tic, I think).
Yes Lew Evans was hit in the balls andxafter the review the refs waived off the call. Complete horse shit.

The key moment came trailing by two with 1:47 left, after freshman Zylan Cheatham rose high to rebound a missed Utah State shot, then swung his elbow into the vicinity of the groin of Aggies forward Lew Evans, who doubled over in apparent pain. The officials whistled a foul on Cheatham and went to the monitor to review whether it warranted a flagrant designation, which would have given the Aggies two free throws plus the ball.

Crazy what has happened to that league.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

DrumNFeather
03-12-2016, 08:06 AM
I think you meant as a 2/15 matchup.

I am now convinced that we will draw the Montana/Weber Winner.

Can we knock Oregon off the 2 line with a win?

DrumNFeather
03-12-2016, 08:13 AM
Lunardi's Last Four Byes:

Oregon St.
St. Bonaventure
South Carolina
Cincy

Last Four In:

Vandy
UConn
Pitt
Monmouth

First Four Out:

St. Marys
Syracuse
Michigan
Valparaiso

Next Four Out:

Tulsa
LSU
Ohio St.
Georgia

Several of these teams probably play their way in with a win...but for the sake of argument, here are the possible bid stealers in action today:

Michigan (vs. Purdue) - Semifinal
LSU (vs. A&M) - Semifinal
UConn (vs. Temple) - Semifinal
Davidson (vs. VCU) - Semifinal
Memphis (vs. Tulane) - Semifinal
Georgia (vs. Kentucky) - Semifinal

I agree with Jay Bilas that ultimately the committee will put in a high major and a mid major. I don't see how they keep Monmouth out.

DrumNFeather
03-12-2016, 03:39 PM
Lunardi's Last Four Byes:

Oregon St.
St. Bonaventure
South Carolina
Cincy

Last Four In:

Vandy
UConn
Pitt
Monmouth

First Four Out:

St. Marys
Syracuse
Michigan
Valparaiso

Next Four Out:

Tulsa
LSU
Ohio St.
Georgia

Several of these teams probably play their way in with a win...but for the sake of argument, here are the possible bid stealers in action today:

Michigan (vs. Purdue) - Semifinal
LSU (vs. A&M) - Semifinal
UConn (vs. Temple) - Semifinal
Davidson (vs. VCU) - Semifinal
Memphis (vs. Tulane) - Semifinal
Georgia (vs. Kentucky) - Semifinal

I agree with Jay Bilas that ultimately the committee will put in a high major and a mid major. I don't see how they keep Monmouth out.
Lots of Ls on this list today. UConn still alive.

sancho
03-12-2016, 04:37 PM
So, pretty safe to say the 1 seeds will come from Kansas, UVa, Nova, UNC, and MSU.

That leaves three openings for the 2 seeds, and OU, Oregon, WVU, Xavier, Miami, and Utah are the contenders. I think OU has one for sure. The winner of Utah/Oregon gets one. Then I think it's WVU.

Looking waaay ahead, if we make the sweet 16 either as a 2 or 3 seed, our possible opponents include OU, WVU, Xavier, Miami, Indiana, or Kentucky. On that list, I would prefer Xavier and then Indiana.

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-12-2016, 04:59 PM
My first time watching West Virginia this year. Scrappy defense. Love it.

Utah
03-12-2016, 05:08 PM
So, pretty safe to say the 1 seeds will come from Kansas, UVa, Nova, UNC, and MSU.

That leaves three openings for the 2 seeds, and OU, Oregon, WVU, Xavier, Miami, and Utah are the contenders. I think OU has one for sure. The winner of Utah/Oregon gets one. Then I think it's WVU.

Looking waaay ahead, if we make the sweet 16 either as a 2 or 3 seed, our possible opponents include OU, WVU, Xavier, Miami, Indiana, or Kentucky. On that list, I would prefer Xavier and then Indiana.

Those missed FT's and foul are killer. If we win those two, we'd be a 1 seed. Other than those two losses, only Kansas is more impressive than us right now.

We should be a one seed.

DrumNFeather
03-12-2016, 07:32 PM
My first time watching West Virginia this year. Scrappy defense. Love it.

Their press is impressive.

DrumNFeather
03-12-2016, 07:37 PM
UVA\UNC is a great game.

sancho
03-13-2016, 08:50 AM
Anyone coming to Denver if the Utes are here? I like the idea of playing at elevation.

sancho
03-13-2016, 08:57 AM
So, we pulled our starters (the good ones, anyway) at ten minutes. Altman left his in for another seven minutes after that. Why?

I wonder if Oregon gets the 1 seed. Who are their good ooc wins? I don't think wins against Utah and Arizona are enough for a 1 seed. I'd give it to Uva or Villanova.

I will be rooting against all the other pac12 teams in the tournament.

sancho
03-13-2016, 09:07 AM
I wonder if Oregon gets the 1 seed. Who are their good ooc wins? I don't think wins against Utah and Arizona are enough for a 1 seed. I'd give it to Uva or Villanova.

Checked, they beat Baylor, which is a really strong win. None of their other opponents are going to dance.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
03-13-2016, 09:17 AM
Is the selection show really 2 hours long? I hope that is all talking heads after the bracket and not them teasing the bracket out the whole time.

DrumNFeather
03-13-2016, 09:20 AM
Is the selection show really 2 hours long? I hope that is all talking heads after the bracket and not them teasing the bracket out the whole time.
Yeah...I think it's brackets first, then Seth Davis and Doug Gotlieb wax philosophical.

NorthwestUteFan
03-13-2016, 10:57 AM

Can UVA get a #1 seed after losing their CCG? If no, then can Oregon steal it? If yes, then do conference tournaments matter at all? Maybe Rick Majerus was correct after all.

DrumNFeather
03-13-2016, 11:09 AM
Only Memphis can really steal a bid today. Should be fun to watch.

concerned
03-13-2016, 11:27 AM
Sporting news has Oregon as a 1 and Utah as a 3.

http://www.sportingnews.com/list/4698253-ncaa-tournament-bracket-projections-march-madness-selection-sunday-bubble-watch/slide/447016

Utah
03-13-2016, 12:06 PM
Oregon should be a one seed. They were incredible last night. And we are a top 10 team.

sancho
03-13-2016, 01:19 PM
Oregon should be a one seed. They were incredible last night. And we are a top 10 team.

I think they will get it, but I think UVa deserves it more. The wahoos have OOC wins against 2 seeds Nova and WVU and against 5 seed Cal. They have a win vs 1 seed UNC. They beat 3 seed Miami, and they swept Louisville who would be a 3-4 seed. I don't see anything on Oregon's win list that comes close to that.

Virginia does have four loses to non tournament teams - GW, VT, GT, and FSU.

Bracket Matrix predictions:

1 seeds: Kansas, UNC, MSU, and Oregon
2 seeds: UVa, Nova, Oklahoma, West Va
3 seeds: Utah, Miami, Xavier, Kentucky
4 seeds: Indiana, A&M, Purdue, Duke

I think these will be accurate, but I think Duke will drop to a 5 to make room for Seton Hall as a 4.

Who would you pick to be the 1,2,4 in Utah's bracket? I would take MSU, Nova, and any of the 4 seeds but A&M.

sancho
03-13-2016, 04:00 PM
Committee loves the Pac!

chrisrenrut
03-13-2016, 04:05 PM
This announcement show is a joke. This should take 1/2 hour. They scheduled it for 2, and now have to fill time with these jokers.

sancho
03-13-2016, 04:14 PM
Oregon State a 7?

concerned
03-13-2016, 04:16 PM
3 seed in Denver against fresno

sancho
03-13-2016, 04:18 PM

Then on to gonzaga/seton hall.

chrisrenrut
03-13-2016, 04:18 PM

Is that a guess, or are you seeing it somewhere?

concerned
03-13-2016, 04:19 PM
Somebody tweeted it in a spoiler alert. Play winner of Gonzaga Seton Hall

sancho
03-13-2016, 04:21 PM
Is that a guess, or are you seeing it somewhere?

There's a leaked bracket that has been 100%. Time for me to turn off this awful show.

So who's coming to see me in Denver?

HuskyFreeNorthwest
03-13-2016, 04:28 PM
Arizona in that 6 line is dangerous. They could very well play Kansas in the E8.

Diehard Ute
03-13-2016, 04:33 PM
Seeing all the shots of the teams waiting....our facility looks amazing. Our guys certainly have the nicest place to watch

Jarid in Cedar
03-13-2016, 04:50 PM
I think we got a good draw. I am excited to see how we perform

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

NorthwestUteFan
03-13-2016, 05:02 PM
Then on to gonzaga/seton hall.
I don't know a thing about Seton Hall, but I like the way we would match up vs Gonzaga.

Diehard Ute
03-13-2016, 05:03 PM
I don't know a thing about Seton Hall, but I like the way we would match up vs Gonzaga.

Tony Jones thinks Seton Hall would give us a very tough game.

LA Ute
03-13-2016, 05:11 PM
We have wins against teams seeded as follows in the Dance:

Duke 4
Cal 4
Arizona 6
Oregon State 7
Texas Tech 8
USC 8
Colorado 8

Not bad. I may have missed one.

U-Ute
03-13-2016, 05:13 PM
There's a leaked bracket that has been 100%. Time for me to turn off this awful show.

This was Tweeted out about that:

Just got this text from an AD: "Whoever leaked that bracket made America Great Again."

Not sure what to make about that. Should I post this in the Presidential Election 2016 thread?

NorthwestUteFan
03-13-2016, 05:18 PM
We should count Copper, Trojans, and Cal twice, can't we?

SeattleUte
03-13-2016, 05:26 PM
I think we got a good draw. I am excited to see how we perform

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yes, it's doable. Every year it seems there's one regional that is out of balance with better teams. This time it's the South. And I think we got the best matchup for us of the 1 seeds in our regional.

NorthwestUteFan
03-13-2016, 06:07 PM
The East regional bracket is brutal. I am glad we are not there.

NorthwestUteFan
03-13-2016, 06:08 PM
This was Tweeted out about that:

Not sure what to make about that. Should I post this in the Presidential Election 2016 thread?
No, because Trump would just complain that it was Socialism.

justaute
03-13-2016, 06:55 PM
A few ESPN personalities questioned Utah's #3 seed, vis-a-vis UK's #4. Candidly, based on all the college games I've watched this season, I wouldn't give Utah #3 -- though, I'll take it. The backdrop of this year's college landscape is that not many, if any, teams are consistent or dominant. Lots of inconsistent playing. Still, a lot of teams have raw talents.

Let's get into Sweet 16 to prove our merit. Again, if I were playing Utah, I would press the heck out of our guards/front-courts. I just don't believe their ability to pass/shoot/drive on a consistent basis. Let Jakob have his 25 points. Play the passing lanes.

sancho
03-13-2016, 07:19 PM
A few ESPN personalities questioned Utah's #3 seed, vis-a-vis UK's #4. Candidly, based on all the college games I've watched this season, I wouldn't give Utah #3 -- though, I'll take it. The backdrop of this year's college landscape is that not many, if any, teams are consistent or dominant. Lots of inconsistent playing. Still, a lot of teams have raw talents.

Let's get into Sweet 16 to prove our merit. Again, if I were playing Utah, I would press the heck out of our guards/front-courts. I just don't believe their ability to pass/shoot/drive on a consistent basis. Let Jakob have his 25 points. Play the passing lanes.

I agree with you. The whole pac-12 is overseeded. The RPI really worked to our advantage. When the committee over-relies on RPI to benefit other conferences, I get bugged. I guess it's our turn this year. Good thing too because we need as light a first round matchup as possible to get our confidence back.

The "give Poeltl his" strategy is dangerous. It gives us high quality shots all game long. The teams that really mess with us are the teams that don't let Poeltl get his because they are athletic enough to really disrupt our guards or to recover from double teams in the post.

sancho
03-13-2016, 07:22 PM
Arizona in that 6 line is dangerous. They could very well play Kansas in the E8.

Yeah but they could also lose to Wichita in the first round.

sancho
03-13-2016, 07:29 PM
I know nothing about Fresno except they really came on strong towards the end of the season, winning their last 9.

They lost @ Oregon by 5 early on. They lost @ Arizona by 13.

I watched Seton Hall beat Xavier and Villanova this week. In both games, they were fast, athletic, and physical. I am surprised they only got a 6 seed. The committee typically overvalues the conference tournaments in terms of seeding. They finished 3rd in the Big East.

In addition to Xavier and Nova, they beat Wichita State and all the decent Big East teams (Providence, Creighton, Marquette).

sancho
03-13-2016, 07:37 PM
Of the teams I've seen in our bracket, I like our chances against Texas Tech, Butler, Purdue, Gonzaga, and Syracuse.

I do not like our odds against Virginia, Michigan State, or Iowa State.

I see Seton Hall as a toss up.

Of the 2 seeds, I would have preferred Xavier and Villanova, but I do prefer Michigan State over Oklahoma.

I haven't seen Dayton or any of the high seeds.

sancho
03-13-2016, 07:42 PM
Mandel's take:

http://www.foxsports.com/college-basketball/story/ncaa-tournament-bracket-selection-sunday-michigan-state-cbs-031316

He feels the Pac-12 was overseeded and the Big East was underseeded - an angle on the potential Utah/Seton Hall game.

justaute
03-13-2016, 07:55 PM
Good takes, sancho. Well, to me, we have to show it on the floor. If we don't do well in the tourney, we have only ourselves to blame. "Heart" can only take you so far. Gotta find that optimal mix of talent/heart/brain.

sancho
03-13-2016, 08:17 PM
Good takes, sancho.

Yeah, sorry for post overload. I'm pretty excited the Utes are coming to me.

chrisrenrut
03-13-2016, 08:26 PM

It looks like we (me, my wife, and dad) will be coming to the games in Denver.

concerned
03-13-2016, 09:35 PM
anybody following this? It is pretty funny

https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=default&q=%23WhoLeakedTheBracket&src=typd

Utah
03-13-2016, 10:07 PM
I really like the seeding and I love our bracket. We have every opportunity for success here.

And, no, the PAC-12 wasn't overseeded. They did a good job with the seeds. Oregon is a top 4 team. Utah is a 8-12 ranked team. If anything, Cal and Arizona are a little low.

The committee did a good job (good job Holmoe). There are no excuses now. We are in a good bracket, we are a great team, and we can beat everyone in our bracket. It's up to Utah to go out and take advantage.

DrumNFeather
03-14-2016, 06:36 AM
Utes tip at 7:27 Eastern time.

SeattleUte
03-14-2016, 07:20 AM
No doubt Seton Hall is better than Gonzaga. But Mark Few seems always to figure out a way to win these first round games.

sancho
03-14-2016, 07:49 AM
No doubt Seton Hall is better than Gonzaga. But Mark Few seems always to figure out a way to win these first round games.

Yeah, but usually he's the favorite.

I think Sabonis is very good, and Wiltjer can score. Gonzagas guards aren't very good, so I like the match up with them. It would be fun to go bulldog-bulldog in the first two rounds.

NorthwestUteFan
03-14-2016, 08:18 AM
The PAC refs seemed to call every little touch and pushed the players to play with increased finesse, while the WCC refs seemed to allow nearly anything. The portions of the two Gonzaga games I watched saw Sabonis getting hammered, catching elbows, getting undercut or thrown to the ground, and he never seemed to draw fouls for it. I am curious to see how they react when the refs enforce stricter boundaries. He is a very good player with great mobility. Jakob crushes him in the paint, but Sabonis has a respectable outside game. Great match up.

I like our tournament draw. I believe we will be able to pick teams apart methodically just as we did to USC in the quarterfinals. I am also happy for a later start time on Thurs.

sancho
03-14-2016, 01:54 PM
I've having a hard time finding upsets to pick in my bracket. None of the 11/12/13 seeds are calling out to me.

NorthwestUteFan
03-14-2016, 02:01 PM
I've having a hard time finding upsets to pick in my bracket. None of the 11/12/13 seeds are calling out to me.
Take Little Rock over Purdue (and maybe over Iowa State after that), Chattanooga over Indiana, And maybe Michigan over ND (could that really be considered an 'upset'? ).

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-14-2016, 02:24 PM
I always love these predictors.

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-march-madness-predictions/

http://thepowerrank.com/ncaa-tournament-predictions/

LA Ute
03-14-2016, 02:44 PM
Nice piece on the big man's legacy:

Brad Rock: How Rick Majerus made Utes a tournament regular

http://m.deseretnews.com/article/865649941/Brad-Rock-How-Rick-Majerus-made-Utes-a-tournament-regular.html?ref=http%3A%2F%2Fm.facebook.com

Scratch
03-14-2016, 03:28 PM
Take Little Rock over Purdue.

Nope. Purdue is a Final 4 sleeper.

sancho
03-14-2016, 03:32 PM
Nope. Purdue is a Final 4 sleeper.

Purdue had a strong conference tournament. I don't think I want to pick against them.

I guess I'll pick against Maryland. I can't remember who they're playing.

U-Ute
03-14-2016, 03:41 PM
Nice piece on the big man's legacy:

Brad Rock: How Rick Majerus made Utes a tournament regular

http://m.deseretnews.com/article/865649941/Brad-Rock-How-Rick-Majerus-made-Utes-a-tournament-regular.html?ref=http%3A%2F%2Fm.facebook.com

“If a guy was going to scratch his behind,” Cravens said, “you had to know which hand he used.”

:rofl:

LA Ute
03-14-2016, 06:39 PM
From PAC-12 Hoops:

Seven Pac-12 Teams in the NCAA Tournament: Their situations (http://pachoops.com/2016/03/seven-pac-12-teams-in-the-ncaa-tournament-their-situations/)

Scorcho
03-14-2016, 08:03 PM
Utes own California (8-2). We have defeated Cal State Monterey, SDSU, USC (2), UCLA, Stanford, Cal (2). Time to add Fresno to the list

U-Ute
03-15-2016, 02:56 PM
Presenting: The All Name bracket (http://deadspin.com/presenting-the-2016-name-of-the-year-bracket-1765009896?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitte r&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow).

chrisrenrut
03-15-2016, 04:09 PM
Presenting: The All Name bracket (http://deadspin.com/presenting-the-2016-name-of-the-year-bracket-1765009896?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitte r&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow).

Tough bracket if Chance Comanche can't get on it.

DrumNFeather
03-15-2016, 09:31 PM
In my research this evening, I've learned two things:

1) A lot of people like the Shockers (if they hold on here against Vandy) over Arizona.

2) We are on nobody's radar because we got blown out by 30 to Oregon - can Larry use this as motivation?

Also...Pac 12 got 7 teams in...a lot of folks like VCU over OSU, UCONN over CU, Providence over USC. How will the conference perform?

justaute
03-15-2016, 09:37 PM
Really like the Shockers. Play with such poise and good fundamentals. A really undersized team that rebounds well because of fundamentals -- unlike those of many Utah players.

NorthwestUteFan
03-15-2016, 09:44 PM
Huskies almost got run out of the Hec by Long Beach State (Big West 3rd place), wins 107-102. And it wasn't even that close.

U-Ute
03-16-2016, 09:25 AM
In my research this evening, I've learned two things:

1) A lot of people like the Shockers (if they hold on here against Vandy) over Arizona.

I hope this puts Miller in full twitch mode.

2) We are on nobody's radar because we got blown out by 30 to Oregon - can Larry use this as motivation?

Absolutely.

Also...Pac 12 got 7 teams in...a lot of folks like VCU over OSU, UCONN over CU, Providence over USC. How will the conference perform?

I think it will be seen as a failure if we don't get 3 teams in the Sweet 16.

U-Ute
03-17-2016, 10:14 AM
Bracket Alert: Cal's Tyrone Wallace broke his non-shooting hand in practice yesterday, but will miss the tournament.

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-17-2016, 11:03 AM
Today marks the 100 Anniversary of Utah basketball's first national championship.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160317/00caffbbdec9545380e2d020921b2335.jpg

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/3670852-155/100-years-ago-the-u-won?fullpage=1

sancho
03-17-2016, 11:53 AM
Once on a spring break trip, we rode bikes from chapel hill to Wilmington. UNCW let us sleep in their gym. Pretty campus. Go duke!

sancho
03-17-2016, 12:28 PM
Once on a spring break trip, we rode bikes from chapel hill to Wilmington. UNCW let us sleep in their gym. Pretty campus. Go duke!

Seahawks determined to go down with their press. Duke dunk fest.

Back to back horrible calls with 2 to go.

NorthwestUteFan
03-17-2016, 12:51 PM
Go Buffs!

DrumNFeather
03-17-2016, 12:51 PM
This is the best I've seen Colorado play while not at home. I find Boyle to mostly an average coach, but he's getting it done so far today.

U-Ute
03-17-2016, 12:55 PM
This is the best I've seen Colorado play while not at home. I find Boyle to mostly an average coach, but he's getting it done so far today.

2 straight turnovers by Fortune leading to 5 points. Wow.

DrumNFeather
03-17-2016, 01:05 PM
2 straight turnovers by Fortune leading to 5 points. Wow.
Yeah...evaporated quickly.

sancho
03-17-2016, 01:18 PM
Feels weird to root for Yale, but go New Havens.

DrumNFeather
03-17-2016, 01:19 PM
A ton of whistles in these early games.

sancho
03-17-2016, 01:22 PM
A ton of whistles in these early games.

That reminds me. These are the things I want to see in the first half (in order or priority):

1) Poeltl has at most 1 foul at halftime
2) At least two of Taylor, Tucker, Loveridge have hit 1+ threes by halftime.
3) We have a +5 rebounding edge
4) We have 5 or fewer TOs.

Applejack
03-17-2016, 02:39 PM
Feels weird to root for Yale, but go New Havens.

I can always root for the ivy league come tourney time. They don't have a conference tourney (I'm a purist), no athletic scholarships (yeah right), and they always, always have a 5''7' white point guard. What's not to love?

sancho
03-17-2016, 02:49 PM
I can always root for the ivy league come tourney time. They don't have a conference tourney (I'm a purist), no athletic scholarships (yeah right), and they always, always have a 5''7' white point guard. What's not to love?

My problem is that Yale students don't deserve it. They made a conscious choice to spurn college athletics when they went Ivy. They could have gone to Duke, Stanford, Northwestern, or Vanderbilt and had the best of both worlds. They should have to live with their sports-free riches.

DrumNFeather
03-17-2016, 02:50 PM
Baylor looks totally lost.

justaute
03-17-2016, 03:03 PM
Not necessarily the case. One of my Utah undergrad friends wanted to go to Duke, but was rejected; however, he got into Yale, but decided to become a Ute on a Presidential scholarship. I got wait-listed by Dartmouth, but got rejected by UVA.

My problem is that Yale students don't deserve it. They made a conscious choice to spurn college athletics when they went Ivy. They could have gone to Duke, Stanford, Northwestern, or Vanderbilt and had the best of both worlds. They should have to live with their sports-free riches.

sancho
03-17-2016, 03:06 PM
he got into Yale, but decided to become a Ute on a Presidential scholarship

Wise choice.

sancho
03-17-2016, 03:11 PM
Baylor will kill Duke on the glass if the Whifflepuffs blow this.

sancho
03-17-2016, 03:33 PM
And that gets today's upset out of the way. No need for another!

concerned
03-17-2016, 03:35 PM
bulldogs bulldogs bow wow wow Eli Yale. boola boola

concerned
03-17-2016, 03:36 PM

I beg your pardon.

sancho
03-17-2016, 03:37 PM
I beg your pardon.

Today, we're all whiffelpools.

concerned
03-17-2016, 03:39 PM
Not necessarily the case. One of my Utah undergrad friends wanted to go to Duke, but was rejected; however, he got into Yale, but decided to become a Ute on a Presidential scholarship. I got wait-listed by Dartmouth, but got rejected by UVA.

That is odd. Duke is usually the safe school. Is his last name Kubica?
l

sancho
03-17-2016, 03:42 PM
That is odd. Duke is usually the safe school.

Oh, snap! Let's settle this on the court!

concerned
03-17-2016, 03:42 PM
Today, we're all whiffelpools.

Duke v. the Whiffelpools next round. i know where Broadhead's true allegiance lies. He just wont tell you.

sancho
03-17-2016, 04:03 PM
Alright, you birds. I'm out the door for downtown Denver. Watch for the ugly guy with a beard that Rocker would hate.

Rocker Ute
03-17-2016, 04:10 PM
Alright, you birds. I'm out the door for downtown Denver. Watch for the ugly guy with a beard that Rocker would hate.

Almost thou persuadest me to be a beard lover.

NorthwestUteFan
03-17-2016, 04:19 PM
My friend grew up in New Haven and went to Yale. I texted her congratulations on the first-ever ncaa tournament win.

She replied, "Yale has a basketball team?"

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-17-2016, 04:29 PM
One hour.

chrisrenrut
03-17-2016, 04:56 PM

If you are anywhere close to section 146, let me know. I'll come say hi between games.

concerned
03-17-2016, 05:11 PM
For Sancho

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/2151387107/slateLogo-S-facebookSquarex200_bigger.jpgSlate ‏@Slate (https://twitter.com/Slate) 18m18 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/Slate/status/710599609626841089)
Yale-Duke is the most annoying matchup in NCAA Tournament history. http://slate.me/1SWQuKB (https://t.co/B0svMS7mwD)

hostile
03-17-2016, 05:16 PM
Little Rock up by 5 in double OT to Purdue. Finish this Trojans so we can get to the Utes.

chrisrenrut
03-17-2016, 05:27 PM
Ute fans at the Pepsi center are waiting outside in the snow for this game to finish so we can get in.

DrumNFeather
03-17-2016, 05:29 PM
Little Rock somehow gets it done. Also, Purdue chokes.

NorthwestUteFan
03-17-2016, 05:35 PM
Take Little Rock over Purdue .

Heh.

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-17-2016, 06:19 PM
Oh Purdue.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160318/4b163066302614c13a88585af19085d7.jpg

chrisrenrut
03-17-2016, 06:23 PM
A huge CF getting fans in the arena on time for the tip.

Diehard Ute
03-17-2016, 06:27 PM
A huge CF getting fans in the arena on time for the tip.

Not surprised.

They had the same problems the last time they hosted

justaute
03-17-2016, 06:37 PM
Every time I see Loveridge playing defense or passing I just want to throw-up. 4 years of D1 basketball and still playing with such poor fundamentals.

Diehard Ute
03-17-2016, 06:48 PM
Lots of contact being allowed down low

justaute
03-17-2016, 06:50 PM
Agreed. Our players are also a bit soft.

Lots of contact being allowed down low

Diehard Ute
03-17-2016, 06:55 PM
The announcers just called Poeltl a senior. Hah

Diehard Ute
03-17-2016, 06:58 PM
Agreed. Our players are also a bit soft.

I would say Jakob doesn't get the same calls others do. He's expected to play through a lot more contact

justaute
03-17-2016, 06:58 PM
With all those offensive rebounds and FSU not making its outside shots, we aren't up by much. So many idiotic turnovers.

chrisrenrut
03-17-2016, 07:07 PM
With all those offensive rebounds and FSU not making its outside shots, we aren't up by much. So many idiotic turnovers.

Do you ever notice anything our team does well? I know you don't like fans with "red goggles" but you seem to have the opposite.

justaute
03-17-2016, 07:27 PM
Of course. I call a spade, a spade. When we decide to, we move the ball well. We cut well when Poeltl is doubled/tripled.

Plus, making observations, not making wild wishes, isn't the opposite of wearing red goggles...IMO.

Do you ever notice anything our team does well? I know you don't like fans with "red goggles" but you seem to have the opposite.

justaute
03-17-2016, 07:31 PM
Now, that was a good pass by Kuzma. Good angle, nice bounce-pass.

justaute
03-17-2016, 07:39 PM
That was an ok missed dunk by Chapman. He went hard to the rim. It happens.

justaute
03-17-2016, 07:48 PM
I guess I need to put on the red goggles.

Diehard Ute
03-17-2016, 08:10 PM
Refs call a bad travel and don't call an obvious travel on Fresno

LA Ute
03-17-2016, 08:22 PM
Questions, I've got questions:

1. Turnovers: Is Fresno State so athletic and quick that we have that excuse for 20 turnovers? I kinda doubt it.

2. Kuzma: Great kid but why does he play so brainlessly so often?

3. Loveridge. You're a 4th-year senior, man. Why the lazy passes at least once during every run by the other team?

4. Why do we have a dry spell every single game that makes a game we are winning much more nerve-wracking than it needs to be?

All that aside, GLAD WE GOT THE WIN. Maybe this game was important to putting the Oregon game behind us.

Applejack
03-17-2016, 08:23 PM
Nice win. That is a bad team for us: quick hands, good finishers on the break, and tough guys down-low. PLus, we are super-duper soft passing the ball up top. I mean, really, really soft.

But win and advance. That's the name of the game.

justaute
03-17-2016, 08:26 PM
Definitely nice to advance.

Nice win. That is a bad team for us: quick hands, good finishers on the break, and tough guys down-low. PLus, we are super-duper soft passing the ball up top. I mean, really, really soft.

But win and advance. That's the name of the game.

Ma'ake
03-17-2016, 08:29 PM
Normally that was what you'd call a gut-check victory, but that was the weirdest game I've seen in a long time.

Why we vomit up turnovers the way we do is a mystery for the ages. Geez.

chrisrenrut
03-17-2016, 08:32 PM
Normally that was what you'd call a gut-check victory, but that was the weirdest game I've seen in a long time.

Why we vomit up turnovers the way we do is a mystery for the ages. Geez.

Very strange. Our rebounding advantage was greater than our high turnover total. 22 rebound advantage. That combined with shooting a great percentage seemed to offset the turnovers.

justaute
03-17-2016, 08:35 PM
Love the way the Shockers play ball. Limited talent, but so fundamentally sound. If it had a Poeltl, and with its guards and wings, the Shockers would go far.

Applejack
03-17-2016, 08:38 PM
Arizona pulling an Arizona in the first round.

LA Ute
03-17-2016, 08:43 PM
I am sorry but I cannot figure out what time Saturday's game is. Is that not known yet?

chrisrenrut
03-17-2016, 08:53 PM
I am sorry but I cannot figure out what time Saturday's game is. Is that not known yet?

I think they will be announced tomorrow.

chrisrenrut
03-17-2016, 08:55 PM
I guess I'm rooting for the Zags here. I'd like to play and beat them on Saturday. Plus, Seton Hall scares me a bit, more than the Zags do.

Diehard Ute
03-17-2016, 09:03 PM
Larry on why he didn't call a timeout from Kyle Goon:

Larry K: I didn't want to call a timeout, let Fresno State enjoy the lead for 2 extra minutes. We just needed to quit throwing the ball away

hostile
03-17-2016, 09:44 PM
I guess I'm rooting for the Zags here. I'd like to play and beat them on Saturday. Plus, Seton Hall scares me a bit, more than the Zags do.
Pirates haven't hit a FG in what seems like forever.

Diehard Ute
03-17-2016, 09:59 PM
Took a trip over to Fresno's board. There's one guy who really doesn't like us. Someone asked him why, and he responded it's because our players are all so old (insinuating the mission bit)

Guess he doesn't know the Utes like he thinks he does

justaute
03-17-2016, 10:03 PM
Wow...another P12 team goes down. USC just lost the game on a last-second shot. It missed several free-throw attempts during the waning moment.

LA Ute
03-17-2016, 10:03 PM
Wow. USC throws the game away at the very end. Wish I could feel sorry for them. I kinda wanted them to win until I heard their band play "fight on" and I suddenly came to my senses.

LA Ute
03-17-2016, 10:04 PM
Took a trip over to Fresno's board. There's one guy who really doesn't like us. Someone asked him why, and he responded it's because our players are all so old (insinuating the mission bit)

He needs to get out more.

Solon
03-17-2016, 10:04 PM

not a great day for the Pac. Colorado. AZ. And now USC goes belly-up at the FT line.
At least the Utes showed up!

justaute
03-17-2016, 10:06 PM
Yup...3 of 7 are out. This only gives the P12 critics more ammunition about the conference being over-rated.

not a great day for the Pac. Colorado. AZ. And now USC goes belly-up at the FT line.
At least the Utes showed up!

Applejack
03-17-2016, 10:11 PM
Yup...3 of 7 are out. This only gives the P12 critics more ammunition about the conference being over-rated.

I'm pleased the P12 is coming up empty (except for the Utes, of course). I am glad we're now in a conference where I can cheer against everyone in the conference.

I hope Oregon gets SHOCKED tomorrow. (Sorry HFNW, just being honest).

DrumNFeather
03-17-2016, 10:21 PM
I kind of feel like a few teams got in on the backs of the top few in the league. As such, I picked against CU, USC, and OSU.

Didn't expect a Sean Miller coached team to play so poorly.

Then again, the Big 12 had a team taken out by an Ivy league squad...and Big 10 had one bounced by a Sun Belt team...so it could have been worse.

SeattleUte
03-17-2016, 10:39 PM

This doesn't matter in this context. The Utes are in the NCAA playoffs, and it's all up to them. We won't ride other pac 12 teams' coattails or be dragged down by them. it's all about our own results.

chrisrenrut
03-17-2016, 10:45 PM
Just announced in the arena that the first game in Denver on Saturday will start at 4:10. So Utah's game should start about 6:40 (all Mountain Time Zone).

hostile
03-17-2016, 11:00 PM
Just announced in the arena that the first game in Denver on Saturday will start at 4:10. So Utah's game should start about 6:40 (all Mountain Time Zone).
Looks like it will be Gonzaga. Sabonis looked good tonight.

sancho
03-18-2016, 12:20 AM
Looks like it will be Gonzaga. Sabonis looked good tonight.

Back from the game. Had a great time!

I think Sabonis is the best post player Poeltl will face this year. I think Poeltl is the best post player sabonis will face. Both teams wish they had someone else to play post defense. Fouls could be huge.

We can't let Wiltjer get deep into the post like he did vs Seton Hall.

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-18-2016, 12:53 AM
Win probability graph during the game according to the Five Thirty-Eight.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160318/c631b0a3d1555fed927fe1b342082537.jpg

chrisrenrut
03-18-2016, 01:15 AM

I think Sabonis is the best post player Poeltl will face this year. I think Poeltl is the best post player sabonis will face. Both teams wish they had someone else to play post defense. Fouls could be huge.

I thnk it will be advantage Poeltl. Sabonis never goes to the rim, his moves all seem to result in hooks or one handed shots from 3-5 feet. Poeltl will bother those shots, and should not get him into foul trouble. The Rebounding battle could be closer, but I think Poeltl has a slight advantage being more physical. Sabonis seems more likely to get in foul trouble defending Poeltl's interior moves.

Our matchups againts Wiltjer worry me. I'm not sure Kuzma or Chapman can defend him very well.

Diehard Ute
03-18-2016, 01:24 AM
I thnk it will be advantage Poeltl. Sabonis never goes to the rim, his moves all seem to result in hooks or one handed shots from 3-5 feet. Poeltl will bother those shots, and should not get him into foul trouble. The Rebounding battle could be closer, but I think Poeltl has a slight advantage being more physical. Sa ones seems more likely to get in foul trouble defending Poeltl's interior moves.

Our matchups againts Wiltjer worry me. I'm not sure Kuzam or Chapman can defend him very well.

Sabonis averages 3.2 fouls per game, Poeltl 2.3. Should be interesting to watch.

justaute
03-18-2016, 05:46 AM
Put down one pack of dogs, now on to another pack. Go Utes!

Applejack
03-18-2016, 06:57 AM

I think I saw you on tv. Do you have a beard that Rocker REALLY wouldn't like?

Rocker Ute
03-18-2016, 07:23 AM
I think I saw you on tv. Do you have a beard that Rocker REALLY wouldn't like?

He was swishing it around in a toilet.

There are many things I wish I could take back in my life, my criticisms of scraggly beards is one of them. But I said it and now I have to live with the consequences. I just wish you guys could find it in those lumberjack hearts of yours to forgive me.

Rocker Ute
03-18-2016, 07:26 AM
And since this is a March Madness thread, I think I should say that Utah handles Gonzaga much better than we handled Fresno. Larry was not happy, things will be tightened up. Plus nothing brings me quite so much joy as seeing Mark Few sad.

Rocker Ute
03-18-2016, 07:28 AM
Win probability graph during the game according to the Five Thirty-Eight.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160318/c631b0a3d1555fed927fe1b342082537.jpg

It would be interesting to do this graph for every win we had this year. I bet most of them modeled this pretty closely.

DrumNFeather
03-18-2016, 07:57 AM
And since this is a March Madness thread, I think I should say that Utah handles Gonzaga much better than we handled Fresno. Larry was not happy, things will be tightened up. Plus nothing brings me quite so much joy as seeing Mark Few sad.

The Zags will crash the boards, so we'll need to be ready for that. Also, not sure who we can have that can guard Wilcher, though he and J-Love might be just the right amount of slow off the drive to go up against one another.

justaute
03-18-2016, 07:57 AM
Quick question for y'all -- why did Taylor attempt that steal, near the half-court, with less than 30 seconds left in the game?

Rocker Ute
03-18-2016, 08:19 AM
Quick question for y'all -- why did Taylor attempt that steal, near the half-court, with less than 30 seconds left in the game?

The announcers were asking the same question of a senior guard and I thought, "Clearly you haven't watched Brandon Taylor play much."

It's almost like if Kaelin Clay kept dropping the ball on the goal line after the Oregon game. I can't figure it out.

LA Ute
03-18-2016, 08:21 AM

I will take a stab. He is such a competitor that in some situations he doesn't know when to turn it off. In those situations, this becomes a bug, not a feature.

NorthwestUteFan
03-18-2016, 08:23 AM
He was swishing it around in a toilet.

There are many things I wish I could take back in my life, my criticisms of scraggly beards is one of them. But I said it and now I have to live with the consequences. I just wish you guys could find it in those lumberjack hearts of yours to forgive me.
We will forgive you. Your preference for back hair/shoulder hair justifies (and may partially explain) your intolerance for facial hair.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
03-18-2016, 08:42 AM
Nice win you guys, there was a point where Frestucky could have put a run and really put the game in jeopardy and Utah responded really well. Gonzaga seemed to get every call last night against Providence, that will be interesting to watch tomorrow.

Utah
03-18-2016, 09:01 AM

Over-excited, dagger to the heart play that blew up in his face.

Just over excited. A good time to make that type of play. We weren't losing the game and he learns.

chrisrenrut
03-18-2016, 09:09 AM
I will take a stab. He is such a competitor that in some situations he doesn't know when to turn it off. In those situations, this becomes a bug, not a feature.

I think this is probably most accurate. In that situation, it didn't hurt much. They shot 1:1, and it took away their opportunity to hit a 3.

Diehard Ute
03-18-2016, 09:29 AM
I chuckled when they called that foul on Taylor. Fresno did that most of the night with no call

justaute
03-18-2016, 09:34 AM
Agreed.

I think this is probably most accurate. In that situation, it didn't hurt much. They shot 1:1, and it took away their opportunity to hit a 3.

chrisrenrut
03-18-2016, 09:37 AM
Tweet from Goon:

Interesting note: Gonzaga also had 20 turnovers today in its win. Few called them "frustrating."

sancho
03-18-2016, 10:04 AM
I'm pleased the P12 is coming up empty (except for the Utes, of course). I am glad we're now in a conference where I can cheer against everyone in the conference.

You know I'm with you in this minority opinion. I love the thought of saying "Arizona? Oh, you mean that team that watches us from their sofas at home every March?" I think outperforming our conference-mates helps us more than the effect of the conference looking good for a few days during the tournament.

sancho
03-18-2016, 10:07 AM

Well, in the past few weeks, I have crossed the line from respectable beard to crazy beard. Time for a trim or a new look. This part is usually fun. I can go mutton chops, mustache, ambrose burnside, amish beard, ... They're all fun for a week or so. I often try to get the Kurt Russel in Tombstone 'stache, but I don't have the trimming skill to get it right.

sancho
03-18-2016, 10:21 AM
My wife: "That coach kinda looks like Arizona's coach."

sancho
03-18-2016, 10:30 AM
Gonzaga's losses this season:

1 point loss to A&M
5 points to Zona
5 points to UCLA
1 point to BYU
3 points to St Mary's
9 points to SMU
5 points to St Mary's

They didn't have any big wins, but they are not a bad team.

LA Ute
03-18-2016, 10:55 AM
Gonzaga's losses this season:

1 point loss to A&M
5 points to Zona
5 points to UCLA
1 point to BYU
3 points to St Mary's
9 points to SMU
5 points to St Mary's

They didn't have any big wins, but they are not a bad team.

I'm expecting quite a battle for Utah.

Diehard Ute
03-18-2016, 11:22 AM
I expect a good game.

Reading a Gonzaga board we have no chance.

Many posts read as long as Gonzaga "shows up" they'll walk with a win.

Rocker Ute
03-18-2016, 11:31 AM
Well, in the past few weeks, I have crossed the line from respectable beard to crazy beard. Time for a trim or a new look. This part is usually fun. I can go mutton chops, mustache, ambrose burnside, amish beard, ... They're all fun for a week or so. I often try to get the Kurt Russel in Tombstone 'stache, but I don't have the trimming skill to get it right.

I once grew a beard and shaved it to a 'stache. With glasses on I looked like a young BTK.

Applejack
03-18-2016, 11:57 AM

I knew it was you! You were going crazy for a t-shirt or something.

sancho
03-18-2016, 12:03 PM
I knew it was you! You were going crazy for a t-shirt or something.

Hmm, maybe not. I only went crazy for the Utes. No t-shirts. Is this what you saw? (sorry, I don't know how to re-size these things)

Applejack
03-18-2016, 12:04 PM
Yup! That was you with the toilet beard!

Rocker Ute
03-18-2016, 12:16 PM
http://40.media.tumblr.com/675c70116d9fa87536ea3b7e5347882b/tumblr_mgwmjuTBuX1qgqyfno1_1280.jpg

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-18-2016, 12:28 PM
Hmm, maybe not. I only went crazy for the Utes. No t-shirts. Is this what you saw? (sorry, I don't know how to re-size these things)

Goes well with the Boise State sweatshirt.

U-Ute
03-18-2016, 12:43 PM
Cal is also down Byrd today due to an unspecified illness. That's 25 PPG between Wallace and Byrd.

Karma?

sancho
03-18-2016, 12:43 PM
Goes well with the Boise State sweatshirt.

Hey, that might be a world champion Denver Broncos sweatshirt.

DrumNFeather
03-18-2016, 01:31 PM
Cal/Hawaii getting pretty chippy.

sancho
03-18-2016, 01:37 PM
Cal/Hawaii getting pretty chippy.

Down goes OSU. Pac-12 down to Utah, Oregon, and Cal.

LA Ute
03-18-2016, 01:42 PM
Down goes OSU. Pac-12 down to Utah, Oregon, and Cal.

Cal neck and neck with Hawaii.

LA Ute
03-18-2016, 01:46 PM
I want other PAC12 teams to lose but I'd prefer they not all lose to lower seeds in the very first round.

LA Ute
03-18-2016, 01:59 PM
And Cal bites the dust. Kind of embarrassing.

sancho
03-18-2016, 02:10 PM
And Cal bites the dust. Kind of embarrassing.

But also amusing. There was already a narrative of Martin not being the world's best coach, and we should be happy to see evidence added to the file.

DrumNFeather
03-18-2016, 02:14 PM
I want other PAC12 teams to lose but I'd prefer they not all lose to lower seeds in the very first round.

Styles make fights. Some of our Pac 12 brethren got terrible draws.

sancho
03-18-2016, 02:15 PM
"Sure, you'll probably still be a lottery pick after a year off in Berkeley, but at Utah you can be a lottery pick who plays in the sweet sixteen."

sancho
03-18-2016, 02:24 PM
Styles make fights. Some of our Pac 12 brethren got terrible draws.

Arizona probably got the toughest 11 seed, but it's not like Hawaii, UConn, Providence, and VCU are super scary. The reality is that all these Pac-12 teams aren't that good. They were all placed 1-2 seeds better than deserved. I have no idea how OSU landed a 7 seed. That was the easiest 10-7 upset pick in history.

DrumNFeather
03-18-2016, 02:36 PM
Arizona probably got the toughest 11 seed, but it's not like Hawaii, UConn, Providence, and VCU are super scary. The reality is that all these Pac-12 teams aren't that good. They were all placed 1-2 seeds better than deserved. I have no idea how OSU landed a 7 seed. That was the easiest 10-7 upset pick in history.
I don't disagree. However, a team like VCU is a terrible match up for Oregon St. Same with Arizona and Wichita. Hawaii can shoot and Cal was down two players and is also terribly coached...so...bad match up :)

I never thought OSU was more than a first four team.

justaute
03-18-2016, 02:37 PM
To be fair to Cal, Wallace was out with injured hand, then Bird also sat out due to injury. Those are big losses.

sancho
03-18-2016, 02:44 PM
To be fair to Cal, Wallace was out with injured hand, then Bird also sat out due to injury. Those are big losses.

It's true. Cal was the third best team in the pac-12, and they always seemed like a round of 32 team to me. Those were really big losses.

DrumNFeather
03-18-2016, 02:45 PM
And Brown was in foul trouble. Had 2 points I think.

sancho
03-18-2016, 02:46 PM
And Brown was in foul trouble. Had 2 points I think.

Brown has struggled for the entire month, so that part at least is not unexpected.

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-18-2016, 02:47 PM
Middle Tennessee State.

sancho
Mtsu! Unreal!

DrumNFeather
Michigan St. on the verge of going down...

LA Ute

Wallace certainly made us miserable in the PAC12 tournament.

LA Ute
Michigan St. on the verge of going down...

That would be AWESOME.