PDA

View Full Version : 2016 PAC-12 Tournament thread

Pages : 1 [2]

Utah
03-13-2016, 10:57 PM
Well, fortunately we all agree that Utah is good. We already got our money's worth of entertainment, and there's still basketball to play.

Exciting times.

SeattleUte
03-14-2016, 07:24 AM
My whole life I've heard what SCP repeated here--that it's incredibly hard to beat a team three times in a season. Like much else I heard growing up, I've decided that's a myth. If a team has beaten another twice it's more likely than not it will win a third time.

NorthwestUteFan
03-14-2016, 08:23 AM
My whole life I've heard what SCP repeated here--that it's incredibly hard to beat a team three times in a season. Like much else I heard growing up, I've decided that's a myth. If a team has beaten another twice it's more likely than not it will win a third time.
In that case it may be more appropriate to say that if you blow out a team twice in the season then it is more likely that you will beat them the third time. If you beat a team twice in close games then the third time the teams meet they both should have even opportunities for the win.

LA Ute
03-14-2016, 09:30 AM
In that case it may be more appropriate to say that if you blow out a team twice in the season then it is more likely that you will beat them the third time. If you beat a team twice in close games then the third time the teams meet they both should have even opportunities for the win.

It sure looks like you are right. In the case of Oregon, they'll blow us out every time they play us, but will do so especially badly when we are playing tired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoCalPat
03-14-2016, 10:58 AM

Rarely does a third matchup happen when the victor so thoroughly dominates the loser, because it's a clear indicator that the loser isn't that good and the odds of a third matchup just aren't that good. We beat Wazzu like a drum two times and we'd do it a third. Clearly, we're better than Wazuu, and the league standings show we're much closer to Oregon than 31 points. We just have not played well against them this year and the Ducks should get the lion's share of credit for that.

LA Ute
03-14-2016, 11:05 AM
Rarely does a third matchup happen when the victor so thoroughly dominates the loser, because it's a clear indicator that the loser isn't that good and the odds of a third matchup just aren't that good. We beat Wazzu like a drum two times and we'd do it a third. Clearly, we're better than Wazuu, and the league standings show we're much closer to Oregon than 31 points. We just have not played well against them this year and the Ducks should get the lion's share of credit for that.

Yes. They are supremely talented, disciplined, and relentless. I'm an admirer.

Old Standing ute
03-14-2016, 01:08 PM
Well, fortunately we all agree that Utah is good. We already got our money's worth of entertainment, and there's still basketball to play.

On review--Utes were a incredibly stupid foul & 1 blown FT from stealing the league title--with the Utes talent (or lack thereof) & lack of depth, it just shows that we have a really good coaching staff.

sancho
03-14-2016, 01:16 PM
On review--Utes were a incredibly stupid foul & 1 blown FT from stealing the league title--with the Utes talent (or lack thereof) & lack of depth, it just shows that we have a really good coaching staff.

I think it also shows how much one legitimate star can mean in basketball, especially if that star is a center.

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-14-2016, 01:17 PM

How crazy would it have been to have the Utes win the league title but lose to 2nd place Oregon by a total of 59 points?

sancho
03-14-2016, 01:50 PM
How crazy would it have been to have the Utes win the league title but lose to 2nd place Oregon by a total of 59 points?

It's crazy enough that both Utah and Oregon lost to Stanford.

NorthwestUteFan
03-14-2016, 01:57 PM
It's crazy enough that both Utah and Oregon lost to Stanford.
Those might be the two biggest reasons why Johnny Dawkins lasted until after the season. Barring that he might have been Kiffened during the season.

NorthwestUteFan
03-15-2016, 09:29 AM
Now that I think about it, there should be a real effort to get all of the Dukies out of the PAC. You are next, Bobby Hurley!