6 points through 16 min. Not bad defense

Solon
02-25-2016, 08:05 PM
6 points through 16 min. Not bad defense
Alrighty then. What a half.

Solon
02-25-2016, 08:16 PM
Alrighty then. What a half.
I hope they're not using up all of their jump-shot pixie dust tonight.
save some for Saturday!

sancho
02-25-2016, 08:58 PM
UTES WIN! UTES WIN!

I hate debate nights on Twitter. Instead of sports, I get a bunch of snarky comments about what people are saying in a debate I don't want to watch.

Jarid in Cedar
02-25-2016, 09:46 PM
Dominating defense. Solid offense after a spectacular start. But importantly, Brekkott looks like he has finally found his mojo. And lastly the key cogs got a ton of rest. Can't wait for Saturday.

Diehard Ute
02-26-2016, 07:30 AM
From an ASU message board "Utah isn't that good..."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrumNFeather
02-26-2016, 07:42 AM

lol...that's fantastic.

sancho
02-26-2016, 07:47 AM

You visited an asu site? I hope you are up to date on your shots.

Diehard Ute
02-26-2016, 07:51 AM
You visited an asu site? I hope you are up to date on your shots.

Fairly certain I'm exposed to worse at work

DrumNFeather
02-26-2016, 08:02 AM
Turning our attention to Saturday. As Mr. Trump would say, this game is HUGE. I hope we didn't use up all of our hot shooting against ASU. At the end of the game they were showing tents already set up outside for Saturday, so the atmosphere should be great.

U-Ute
02-26-2016, 09:09 AM
More proof that this team goes as our guard line goes.

My concern is that we fell in love with the outside shot. We were definitely hot at the start and it pretty much took all of the fight out of ASU before the 15 minute mark. The rest of the game our shooting was pretty average. I don't want us to go into the Arizona game thinking we're all that from outside. We need to make sure we still play inside out like we have been.

The good news is I believe Larry will be in their ear about this today.

It'll be interesting to if Arizona will be willing to let Zeus play D on Poeltl straight up without any help. And it'll be interesting to see if Poeltl can take advantage of it. I think he can, but it'll be a good test for him.

This is for all the marbles.

Go Utes!

jrj84105
02-26-2016, 09:15 AM
Referencing another thread, does everyone agree that ASU is very easy to dislike?

The last FB game down in Phoenix the two LDS ASU fans in front of me were making drunk fat Yewt comments while the guys to their right were calling us all polygamist child rapists. Then there's Tidd Graham. They offend across the spectrum.

That stadium is nowhere close to sold out. If Utah fans took ASU as our primary in conference rival, we could make that a Utah crowd every trip down there.

Jarid in Cedar
02-26-2016, 09:43 AM
More proof that this team goes as our guard line goes.

My concern is that we fell in love with the outside shot. We were definitely hot at the start and it pretty much took all of the fight out of ASU before the 15 minute mark. The rest of the game our shooting was pretty average. I don't want us to go into the Arizona game thinking we're all that from outside. We need to make sure we still play inside out like we have been.

The good news is I believe Larry will be in their ear about this today.

It'll be interesting to if Arizona will be willing to let Zeus play D on Poeltl straight up without any help. And it'll be interesting to see if Poeltl can take advantage of it. I think he can, but it'll be a good test for him.

This is for all the marbles.

Go Utes!

I don't think that Arizona will play that much pack-the-lane zone. ASU's defensive game plan left open shooters everywhere. We do fall in love with the outside shot at times, but last night it was the correct shot to take much of the time based on the defense.

U-Ute
02-26-2016, 10:34 AM
I don't think that Arizona will play that much pack-the-lane zone. ASU's defensive game plan left open shooters everywhere. We do fall in love with the outside shot at times, but last night it was the correct shot to take much of the time based on the defense.

I agree that it made sense against ASU. I just hope the guys make sure to take the shots in the flow of the offense again instead of jacking up 3's just because.

Diehard Ute
02-26-2016, 10:37 AM
I agree that it made sense against ASU. I just hope the guys make sure to take the shots in the flow of the offense again instead of jacking up 3's just because.

19 assists on 28 made shots tells me they're still running the offense.

And even with the backups in we still kept turnovers below 10 (which LK said was the only goal he wrote on the board)

LA Ute
02-26-2016, 10:44 AM

Overall they only shot 44% from the field so I agree they should bear that in mind. I'm pretty sure they will.

Diehard Ute
02-26-2016, 11:12 AM
Overall they only shot 44% from the field so I agree they should bear that in mind. I'm pretty sure they will.

And the second half was played almost exclusively by backups....

LA Ute
02-27-2016, 12:27 PM
I thikn Kuz needs to just lay it in unless he has a clear slam dunk. The missed dunks are embarrassing and costs us points.

sancho
02-27-2016, 12:29 PM
That's a charge 9 of 10 times. Whose court is this?

sancho
02-27-2016, 12:32 PM
Anyone else yell "Chappie!" when Brekkot does something nice? Can this be a nickname?

LA Ute
02-27-2016, 12:35 PM
Jordan, Jordan, Jordan. Those weak passes.

sancho
02-27-2016, 12:40 PM
Remember the first 4 weeks of the season when every screen was called an offensive foul? I'm glad that stupid idea didn't stick.

LA Ute
02-27-2016, 12:42 PM
Reyes made a bunny!!! (Props to Chapman for the great pass.)

Mormon Red Death
02-27-2016, 12:46 PM
At least Tucker hit the rim this time

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

sancho
02-27-2016, 12:49 PM
At least Tucker hit the rim this time

Next one's going in for him. Those first two were as ugly as they come.

sancho
02-27-2016, 12:54 PM
Next one's going in for him.

Nope. Maybe he should just block Gabe York shots today.

LA Ute
02-27-2016, 01:17 PM
I hope this is the one run we give Arizona. We give every good team at least one. Then maybe we can move on.

Mormon Red Death
02-27-2016, 01:24 PM
Can they ever call over the back on az????

sancho
02-27-2016, 01:35 PM
So many mistakes.

LA Ute
02-27-2016, 01:40 PM
I hope this is the one run we give Arizona. We give every good team at least one. Then maybe we can move on.

Well, we gave them a second one this time 8-0.

LA Ute
02-27-2016, 01:44 PM
Our guys really need to clear their heads.

sancho
02-27-2016, 01:54 PM
Brandon Taylor!

sancho
02-27-2016, 01:58 PM
Brandon Taylor!

Love that he punked Gabe York on that three.

LA Ute
02-27-2016, 01:58 PM
Brandon Taylor!

So great for him to be he hero this time.

mpfunk
02-27-2016, 02:00 PM
Great win. Glad the fans didn't storm the court.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

DrumNFeather
02-27-2016, 02:03 PM
Nice to see us get this one.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

LA Ute
02-27-2016, 02:07 PM
Arizona scored on just 2 of their last 11 possessions. Nice.

Ma'ake
02-27-2016, 02:09 PM
Massive monkey off the back. Great win, Utes!

(Kuzma, Chapman and Bonam all need to be locked in the weight room this summer.)

sancho
02-27-2016, 02:16 PM
(Kuzma, Chapman and Bonam all need to be locked in the weight room this summer.)

Kuz just couldn't match those Zona bigs. He looked lost.

Close out on senior day, and we're one Oregon screw up from a conference title.

LA Ute
02-27-2016, 02:18 PM
It's no small thing that the Utes held their composure in crunch time. They are gelling/peaking/coming together (pick your cliche) at just the right time.

And...they got the Arizona monkey off their backs!

LK saying in the post-game presser that the Utes had two "kills" against AZ in the last 3 minutes or so. (A kill is 5 straight possessions without a score.)

LA Ute
02-27-2016, 02:19 PM
Kuz just couldn't match those Zona bigs. He looked lost.

Seemed like he was trying to do too much. The two blown dunks are examples.

sancho
02-27-2016, 02:21 PM
Seemed like he was trying to do too much. The two blown dunks are examples.

Coulda been three blown dunks if he had gone to the rim instead of throwing it out of bounds on that play early in the 2nd half!

LA Ute
02-27-2016, 02:26 PM
Coulda been three blown dunks if he had gone to the rim instead of throwing it out of bounds on that play early in the 2nd half!

Yeah. Great kid. Needs to improve his hoops IQ.

Jarid in Cedar
02-27-2016, 02:47 PM
Yeah. Great kid. Needs to improve his hoops IQ.

Meh. Foul trouble got Kuzma out of sync today. But, he was lights out in California. I am not worried about him at all

LA Ute
02-27-2016, 04:01 PM
ESPN clip:

Gabe York gets his ankles broken and Brandon Taylor makes the clutch three (http://http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=14859438)

NorthwestUteFan
02-27-2016, 04:12 PM
That win was so tasty! I loved it.

Solon
02-27-2016, 04:29 PM
Meh. Foul trouble got Kuzma out of sync today. But, he was lights out in California. I am not worried about him at all

kuz might be the most improved player in the conference this season.
i've loved watching brekkot figure it out the last couple of weeks.

LA Ute
02-27-2016, 04:33 PM
Nice CBS Sports write-up:

"You might recall how the Utes were a No. 4 seed in last year's NCAA Tournament. Now it's looking like that's the worst-case scenario for a team sitting at 23-7 with one game left in the regular season, a home tilt against Colorado next Saturday...."

Read the whole thing. The writer thinks we're a 2 seed if we win out and a 3 if we lose one.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaab/eye-on-college-basketball/25497708/utah-could-be-final-four-pick-tops-arizona-for-the-first-time-since-1998

sancho
02-27-2016, 04:33 PM
kuz might be the most improved player in the conference this season.

Agreed, right after Poeltl. He was still a bit lost today, though.

Who on other teams should be considered for most improved?

LA Ute
02-27-2016, 04:35 PM

I'm not either. I meant to say he's very close to being awesome.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
02-27-2016, 05:05 PM
Big win.

Applejack
02-27-2016, 05:27 PM
Agreed, right after Poeltl. He was still a bit lost today, though.

Who on other teams should be considered for most improved?

Admittedly I haven't watched much Utes hoops this year, a sin for which I've repented. But, every time I do watch (like today), Kuz looks as lost as last year. What have you guys seen throughout the year with regards to his growth?

Solon
02-27-2016, 05:32 PM
Admittedly I haven't watched much Utes hoops this year, a sin for which I've repented. But, every time I do watch (like today), Kuz looks as lost as last year. What have you guys seen throughout the year with regards to his growth?

Works hard at rebounding.
Has a nose for the rim & can finish on offense.

Last year, he had a hard time getting off the bench. This year I think he's averaging 9+ ppg.

Today, the AZ bigs were just body-slamming him as they ran down the court & jockeyed for position. He looked intimidated. I think he'll grow into some confidence.
Also, I hope he never takes another 3 point shot.

sancho
02-27-2016, 05:35 PM

He's been passing really well, and he's been finishing around the rim. Seems to have good chemistry with Poeltl. Today was not typical. He cannot shoot, but he's been valuable anyway.

Diehard Ute
02-27-2016, 05:37 PM
If anything Kuz was too unselfish today. He was trying so hard make that extra pass he passed up some shots, and when he did go for it he went for the big dunk which is abnormal for him.

LA Ute
02-27-2016, 07:41 PM
Stat I haven't heard or seen mentioned: Taylor had 5 steals. Poeltl and Loveridge each had one.

The kid played 38 minutes; shot 7-9 from the floor and 4-5 on three-pointers; 1-2 from the FT line; 3 rebounds; and ONE turnover. Has he ever had a better game?

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=400841602

Jarid in Cedar
02-27-2016, 07:48 PM
Big win.

Yeah. We needed that one for a multitude of reasons.

sancho
02-27-2016, 07:48 PM
The kid played 38 minutes; shot 7-9 from the floor and 4-5 on three-pointers; 1-2 from the FT line; 3 rebounds; and ONE turnover. Has he ever had a better game?

I can't remember what he did vs ASU. I don't know what anyone else in the conference did this week. But if they want to give him POW just for today, I'm alright with that.

LA Ute
02-27-2016, 07:55 PM
I can't remember what he did vs ASU. I don't know what anyone else in the conference did this week. But if they want to give him POW just for today, I'm alright with that.

Right. We'd have beaten ASU without him. He was the key to beating AZ.

LA Ute
02-27-2016, 08:24 PM
ESPN:

After toppling Arizona, it's time to pay attention to Utah (http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/111737/time-to-pay-attention-to-utah)

"No one stormed the court at Utah (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/254/utah-utes), which ought to tell you everything about the Utes right now...."

justaute
02-28-2016, 10:13 AM
Taylor's drive-n-pop, ankle-breaker play on York was #1 on ESPNU's Top 10. Good for BT. Really happy to see his turn-around in the last few names.

DrumNFeather
02-28-2016, 01:22 PM
Sean Miller's post game comments...pretty gracious about Utah and some real nice things to say about Taylor, Loveridge, and K.

rEzbaice3IM

NorthwestUteFan
02-28-2016, 01:50 PM
Sean Miller is a hard-driving A-hole of a coach during games, but it is obvious that he has a tremendous amount of love and respect for the players. I hate playing against him but would absolutely love to have him as our coach.

DrumNFeather
02-28-2016, 03:08 PM
Sean Miller is a hard-driving A-hole of a coach during games, but it is obvious that he has a tremendous amount of love and respect for the players. I hate playing against him but would absolutely love to have him as our coach.
I was watching both coaches during the game and couldn't think of two coaches in our league that just ride the officials the way Miller and K do. Those refs must just be exhausted after dealing with those two.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

LA Ute
02-28-2016, 06:30 PM
Don't know if anyone mentioned this: the Utes got through this game with only 8 turnovers. Outstanding, and a key to the win against a quick, athletic team like Arizona.

LA Ute
02-29-2016, 07:48 PM
Bill Riley said three times on his show today that the Arizona victory was a "signature win" for the Utes and for Coach K. I am sharing this information for the benefit of my dear friend Seattle Ute.

SeattleUte
02-29-2016, 10:53 PM
Bill Riley said three times on his show today that the Arizona victory was a "signature win" for the Utes and for Coach K. I am sharing this information for the benefit of my dear friend Seattle Ute.

Some people are just short on vocabulary.

Brian
03-01-2016, 06:41 AM
Don't know if anyone mentioned this: the Utes got through this game with only 8 turnovers. Outstanding, and a key to the win against a quick, athletic team like Arizona.

Didn't hear/notice this.
Wow, what a change from earlier this season...

LA Ute
03-01-2016, 07:26 AM
Some people are just short on vocabulary.

Someday you will have your own signature post, and then you will understand.