PDA

View Full Version : The Basketball Offseason 2016 Thread

Pages : [1] 2

UtahsMrSports
03-20-2016, 08:58 AM
It is a major bummer that I am typing this here today when I thought for sure we would be celebrating a sweet 16 appearance. Last night may sting for a while, so I wanted to try and get that bad taste out of my mouth as soon as possible.

The next few weeks will be very interesting. Among our 13 scholarship athletes we had........

7 guys who were rotation regulars
2 guys on the fringes of the rotation
1 guy who could never seem to stick (Bealer)
1 guy who was injured all year (Ogbe)
1 guy who transferred (Miller)
1 guy who was redshirted despite the fact that we desperately needed a backup at his position (Mawien)

I think its fair to say we will see some cuts and/or transfers this year.

The one thing that is obvious........we gotta get more depth.

NorthwestUteFan
03-20-2016, 09:15 AM
I think Bonam has tremendous potential but he needs more help getting up to speed. He has a good shot and is a strong slasher. I hope he will be able to relax into the position next year with a bigger PG on the court (Barefield, 6'2"-ish). Barefield is still a very young player so he will also need to grow into the position.

Jayce Johnson will be helpful, and David Collette is strong and very experienced.

Can Ogbe get healthy? Groin injuries can be terrible.

Can Bealer get there? We need a huge upgrade in wing play if we are to survive.

Utah
03-20-2016, 09:39 AM
What about the kid who transferred from SMU? He was a top 150 recruit. He was a PG, right?

Ma'ake
03-20-2016, 09:57 AM
Bonam has a much upside as any player we've had since Andre Miller. Gonzaga's ability to take Loveridge out of equation, putting pressure on Taylor, and everyone else struggling, left our improvised offensive game plan to just let Bonam create... and he was simply amazing in getting to the rim and finishing with very difficult shots. He needs to get stronger and build up some toughness, but he's the cornerstone for next year.

I want to think I-Wright and Bealer were simply victims of a logjam in front of them. Taylor, Loveridge and Tucker deserved the minutes they got.

Hopefully they see the opportunity that Kuzma and Chapman got as minutes opened up, and make the most of theirs. Chapman especially has untapped upside he should be motivated to show. I don't know how much better Kuzma can get, but his development over his first year was impressive.

NorthwestUteFan
03-20-2016, 10:09 AM
What about the kid who transferred from SMU? He was a top 150 recruit. He was a PG, right?
That is Sedric Barefield. He appears to have the potential we need.

Mormon Red Death
03-20-2016, 11:11 AM
Speaking of 3 point shooting here is what we havevto replace
Loveridge shot 223 3s and made 40%
Taylor shot 191 3s and made 33.5%
Tucker shot 108 3s and made 40% as well

Tucker and and loveridge were a little under 40% for the conference season while Taylor shot 37% in the conference

Best shooting % on the team? Bonam a little over 40% on 55 3s
In conference he only shot 25%

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

sancho
03-20-2016, 12:56 PM
In this thread last year, I said we wouldn't make the tournament unless 1-2 players made a leap or 1-2 of the newcomers could contribute. It worked out.

Looking at what is returning, I would say we need the same thing. We'll need a major leap from two returners and at least one newcomer needs to be worthy of 30 minutes/game.

Solon
03-20-2016, 01:14 PM
Speaking of 3 point shooting here is what we havevto replace
Loveridge shot 223 3s and made 40%
Taylor shot 191 3s and made 33.5%
Tucker shot 108 3s and made 40% as well

Tucker and and loveridge were a little under 40% for the conference season while Taylor shot 37% in the conference

Best shooting % on the team? Bonam a little over 40% on 55 3s
In conference he only shot 25%

Maybe it's Kuzma.
He was atrocious all year, and then hit some big 3s in the conf tourney & early on last night.

I wish we had more than one more year with Lorenzo. I'm not sure if Chapman is up to assuming the mantle.

Utah
03-20-2016, 08:10 PM
We will be better next year than this. While we might not have a Poeltl, our overall talent will be much higher. Delon took a big jump, Poeltl took a big jump, Kuzma has improved a ton, even Washburn improved a ton under Larry.

And that doesn't include the PG from SMU, Johnson, Collette. Plus, hopefully, we can add Ogbe back. It wouldn't shock me if we get another player and someone leaves as well. We will be a lot more talented next year overall.

We haven't peaked yet. We are still trending up.

311ute
03-21-2016, 08:06 AM
I think this will be one of the most eventful offseasons we've seen in a while. I expect, as UtahsMrSports said on twitter, that we'll see some good and some bad news. I expect a few surprises as well.

Let's recap our current/projected roster:

Scholarships for sure leaving (5): Taylor, Tucker, Loveridge, Poeltl, Miller (already transfered)
Scholarships for sure coming in (6): Zamora, Daniels, Johnson, Collette*, Barefield*, PVD

*I'm not sure how the scholarships count for these guys who aren't eligible until second semester next year.... I'm going to assume they count against the 13 allotted scholarships the team is allowed for the year.

So that means we're currently committed to 14 scholarship players for next year. We're also all aware we're actively recruiting multiple players right now. So who, and how many, of the following players will leave?

PVD, I. Wright, Bealer, Ogbe, Reyes, Mawien.

I could see anywhere from 2-5 of those guys not being on the roster next year.

Diehard Ute
03-21-2016, 08:11 AM
I think this will be one of the most eventful offseasons we've seen in a while. I expect, as UtahsMrSports said on twitter, that we'll see some good and some bad news. I expect a few surprises as well.

Scholarships for sure leaving (5): Taylor, Tucker, Loveridge, Poeltl, Miller (already transfered)
Scholarships for sure coming in (6): Zamora, Daniels, Johnson, Collette*, Barefield*, PVD

*I'm not sure how the scholarships count for these guys who aren't eligible until second semester next year.... I'm going to assume they count against the 13 allotted scholarships the team is allowed for the year.

So that means we're currently committed to 14 scholarship players for next year. We're also all aware we're actively recruiting multiple players right now. So who, and how many, of the following players will leave?

Collette is a walk on as of now. Not sure when that would change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

311ute
03-21-2016, 08:14 AM
We will be better next year than this. While we might not have a Poeltl, our overall talent will be much higher. Delon took a big jump, Poeltl took a big jump, Kuzma has improved a ton, even Washburn improved a ton under Larry.

And that doesn't include the PG from SMU, Johnson, Collette. Plus, hopefully, we can add Ogbe back. It wouldn't shock me if we get another player and someone leaves as well. We will be a lot more talented next year overall.

We haven't peaked yet. We are still trending up.

I hope fans have reasonable expectations heading into next year. It's simply not fair to the coaching staff for fans to expect us to be as good as we've been the last two years. We've lost two All-American, top-20 picks in two years, with no one on the current roster who is a sure fire NBA guy. Go look at our offense this year when Poeltl was out of the game. It was scary bad.

Now I'm as excited about the program as the next guy, and I agree we've got a good foundation going forward and we won't totally fall off the map. But to not expect a step back with what we've lost the past two years (Delon, Bach, Taylor, Loveridge, Tucker, Poeltl) is crazy talk. Even with the best case scenario, this team is going to take a while to gel. It's going to be almost an entirely new roster, and two of our rotation players won't be eligible until mid-December.

I hope we're all excited and optimistic, but I think we need to keep expectations in check.

#1 Utefan
03-21-2016, 09:06 AM
I hope fans have reasonable expectations heading into next year. It's simply not fair to the coaching staff for fans to expect us to be as good as we've been the last two years. We've lost two All-American, top-20 picks in two years, with no one on the current roster who is a sure fire NBA guy. Go look at our offense this year when Poeltl was out of the game. It was scary bad.

Now I'm as excited about the program as the next guy, and I agree we've got a good foundation going forward and we won't totally fall off the map. But to not expect a step back with what we've lost the past two years (Delon, Bach, Taylor, Loveridge, Tucker, Poeltl) is crazy talk. Even with the best case scenario, this team is going to take a while to gel. It's going to be almost an entirely new roster, and two of our rotation players won't be eligible until mid-December.

I hope we're all excited and optimistic, but I think we need to keep expectations in check.

Does anyone one know if Bealer was a junior or senior this year? I think he has a lot of athleticism and upside. He will be a lot better than Tucker and clearly is more athletic than any of the graduating seniors.

I would have liked to have seen him more this year, particularly in games like Gonzaga Saturday where Utah's lack of athleticism was being badly exposed. Sometimes during the season I felt Larry was too loyal to his go to guys and seniors, even when they were underperforming and not getting it done. Sometimes you have to give other guys a chance, if nothing else to send a message to the othervguyscthatblack of hustle and effort isn't acceptable.

NorthwestUteFan
03-21-2016, 09:14 AM
Bealer is a JR, but the knock in him was he has problems defending.

sancho
03-21-2016, 09:21 AM
He will be a lot better than Tucker and clearly is more athletic than any of the graduating seniors.

I hope this is true, but I haven't seen any evidence yet. I like the idea of Bealer backing up Chapman at the 3. That might not be ideal defensively, but it gets Bealer, Chapman, and Collette starting minutes.

DrumNFeather
03-21-2016, 09:21 AM
Bealer is a JR, but the knock in him was he has problems defending.

Bealer is a real interesting case for how this team will operate moving forward. His offensive talent is evident and he seems like the kind of guy that could help shoot you back into a game. It is interesting to me that he didn't get more minutes due to his defensive issues, especially when you consider that especially in the blowouts, our D was just atrocious anyway.

sancho
03-21-2016, 09:28 AM
Bealer is a real interesting case for how this team will operate moving forward. His offensive talent is evident and he seems like the kind of guy that could help shoot you back into a game. It is interesting to me that he didn't get more minutes due to his defensive issues, especially when you consider that especially in the blowouts, our D was just atrocious anyway.

Well, how good is he offensively? Is he better than Loveridge or Tucker? They both shoot around 40% from beyond the arc. Maybe he didn't get minutes because he wasn't going to be an improvement over what we had already.

DrumNFeather
03-21-2016, 09:29 AM
Well, how good is he offensively? Is he better than Loveridge or Tucker? They both shoot around 40% from beyond the arc. Maybe he didn't get minutes because he wasn't going to be an improvement over what we had already.

It's certainly possible. I mean, obviously there was a reason he didn't get more minutes over those guys. Maybe it's the back up QB is the most popular guy in town thing.

Utah
03-21-2016, 10:06 AM

This is exactly what you guys said after Delon left. We are still trending up. It wouldn't shock me if we are better next year. As good as we were, we were pretty bad at a lot of things, hence the blowouts.

Yes, we lose Poeltl, but the overall talent will be a lot higher.

We will have two elite recruits. Johnson and Barefield. Colette is no slouch as well. We return Kuzma, who carried us vs Gonzaga early, Bonham, who is coming into his own and has great potential, Chapman, Wright, Mawien. And I haven't mentioned Zamora, who wouldn't shock me if he redshirted and Daniels.

We will be very, very good next year. We will compete for a PAC-12 title again and will go dancing again.

Hate to break it you gloom and doom guys, but we are pretty good and will continue to do so.

LA Ute
03-21-2016, 10:10 AM

The only one on that list that I'd be sad to see go would be Ogbe, if he can get healthy. On the others I trust the coaches. For sentimental reasons (local guy) I'd like to see Van Dam stay, if he can cut it at the PAC-12 level.

Rocker Ute
03-21-2016, 10:11 AM
I think you are drastically under valuing Poeltl and the things he brought to the team. Just like Delon the entire game shifts around him. I'd love to see how our team fared this year without him in versus having him in.

Gonzaga should be a good indicator of that.

UBlender
03-21-2016, 10:16 AM

I've heard several people say that Collette won't be on scholarship at all in 2016-17. I'm not certain if that's true but I tend to believe it. It makes sense as he can't be on scholarship for the fall semester, so it's not a great use of resources to tie up the scholarship for just half a year. If that is true, we are at 13 for next year. Of course that is almost meaningless right now as there is sure to be plenty of change still to come.

It will be interesting to see where else Larry goes for help. I doubt he is anywhere near content right now. I've heard rumblings of good things from Collette in practice, as well as Johnson. Utah won't have Poeltl but that two-headed monster inside should be formidable. Even better if they can add another head to the monster. I think Utah's foundation will be those post players, Bonam and Kuzma. I'm also hoping to see good things from Chapman at the 3, but not sure that's going to happen.

Utah desperately needs two more good guards. I'm higher than most on Devon Daniels--think he'll be really good but how good as a true freshman? I'm not sure what to make of Barefield--I try to write off his time at SMU because he was sick a lot but still he barely saw the floor and nobody there seemed to care that he left so quickly.

Utah also needs help on the wings. Can Bealer figure things out? He has the talent. Utah clearly is looking to bring in at least one more wing player. A healthy Ogbe would help both the wing and guard position but I don't think anyone is holding their breath for that.

Here's how I see the returnees/current commits:
Collette-Starting center when eligible, one of the building blocks of this team, whatever date in December he'd eligible can't come soon enough
Kuzma-Starting 4, hopefully keeps up the hot shooting we saw late and the rebounding we saw early, needs to learn he can't drive the ball through multiple defenders, one of the building blocks
Bonam-Starting at a guard spot, which spot depends on who else Utah is able to get or who returns, but it may be irrelevant as Larry likes to use interchangeable combo guards a lot, building block who needs to learn to be consistent, I'd bet on him to be the leading scorer next year
Barefield-As I said, I have no idea what to expect from him, but I am at least pretty confident he'll be on the roster which is more than I can say for most
Daniels-Really high on him over the long-term, just not certain he'll be ready to carry a heavy (starter-ish) load as a freshman
Johnson-I think he'll be solid as a freshman with a chance to be a star down the road, will have to hold down the center position until Collette can play

Those I'm not sure about:
Chapman-I hope he's back but he's a former top 100 recruit who may be looking for a larger role than he'll ever see here, could be the incumbent to start at SF
Zamora-He's probably here but I wonder if Utah doesn't consider asking him to void his LOI due to his injury
Ogbe-A building block if he were healthy but you have to be VERY confident in his health if you're going to commit a scholarship to him for another season
Reyes-He hustles and appears to be a good team guy, I don't want him playing big minutes as a backup center but if he's your 11th or 12th man that's fine with me
Wright-I don't think he's as bad as he looked for stretches this season and quietly had some solid (brief) outings late in the season, he probably tops out as a backup PG
Bealer-I can't imagine he was satisfied with his playing time, he'll either have to improve his understanding of the offense and defense or move on, lots of potential
Mawien-Project, not sure how close he is to contributing
Van Dyke-Not sure he'll ever be more than a designated shooter but I'd keep him around for that role as next year's team may be light on shooting

As for recruiting, I like the sound of the Rodas kid from Northern Idaho. If he's really choosing between Oregon and Utah he should see a much clearer path to playing time at Utah. I also think Utah would be a good spot for a senior transfer that is looking for a quality program--there will be plenty of minutes instantly available at guard and wing for such a player. I think Utah needs at least one more high impact guy to supplement what I perceive to be the foundation of next year's team (Collette, Kuzma, Bonam, maybe Chapman, Daniels, Johnson). Where that high impact guy comes from I have no idea.

Buckle up.

NorthwestUteFan
03-21-2016, 10:19 AM
Losing Delon hurt a lot, but we still has a lottery pick player on the team.

Losing Poeltl will be tough. Our overall talent level will improve a bit, but it is not out of the question to see finishing with 20 wins as a reason to celebrate (rather than expecting 24+ ).

Rocker Ute
03-21-2016, 10:22 AM
I hope I am wrong but I personally don't buy that our overall talent level is going to improve next year at least. Improve some at individual positions? Sure. But along with losing a lottery pick, we are also losing a lot of senior leadership. Don't underestimate that.

NorthwestUteFan
03-21-2016, 10:50 AM
Brandon Taylor was a warrior and his experience will absolutely be missed. Same with Jordan Loveridge.

But both of them had serious flaws as SR leaders. I don't discount them and their ability to give a good pep talk and to hit a big shot when we needed a boost.

Next year out SRs are Bonam (tons of experience), Ogbe (if he can get healthy), Reyes (will he be here?), Bealer (almost zero experience this year). Will Collette be a JR or a SR?

DrumNFeather
03-21-2016, 10:50 AM
Anyone know what our OOC schedule looks like? I know we play a limited field in the Diamond Head classic. Do we have any other games announced?

UBlender
03-21-2016, 11:06 AM
Brandon Taylor was a warrior and his experience will absolutely be missed. Same with Jordan Loveridge.

But both of them had serious flaws as SR leaders. I don't discount them and their ability to give a good pep talk and to hit a big shot when we needed a boost.

Next year out SRs are Bonam (tons of experience), Ogbe (if he can get healthy), Reyes (will he be here?), Bealer (almost zero experience this year). Will Collette be a JR or a SR?

If Ogbe is back I think he'll be a Jr (should get a redshirt for this season). Bealer has been listed as a Jr all season but if you follow his eligibility clock I think he was actually a sophomore. He played as a freshman at JC, transferred to Utah and redshirted last year, played this year. Collette will be a Jr.

311ute
03-21-2016, 11:07 AM
Anyone know what our OOC schedule looks like? I know we play a limited field in the Diamond Head classic. Do we have any other games announced?

Outside of the Diamond Head Classic, I don't know of one game on our OOC schedule. Wichita, SDSU, BYU series are over. I'll be VERY interested to see what it looks like

DrumNFeather
03-21-2016, 11:09 AM
Outside of the Diamond Head Classic, I don't know of one game on our OOC schedule. Wichita, SDSU, BYU series are over. I'll be VERY interested to see what it looks like

Looking at the Classic lineup, it looks moderately better than it did when it first came out...still, we should do well:

Hawaii (no post season tourney next year)
Stephen F. Austin
Southern Miss
San Francisco
Tulsa
SDSU
Illinois St.

311ute
03-21-2016, 11:10 AM

I'm sure it's posted somewhere, but as a refresher, here's the field in Hawaii:

Utah, SDSU, Hawaii, Illinois St, SFA, San Francisco, So. Miss, Tulsa.

311ute
03-21-2016, 11:12 AM
Looking at the Classic lineup, it looks moderately better than it did when it first came out...still, we should do well:

Hawaii (no post season tourney next year)
Stephen F. Austin
Southern Miss
San Francisco
Tulsa
SDSU
Illinois St.

Sorry.... I basically posted the same thing. I had to look it up and had the same thoughts as you.

UBlender
03-21-2016, 11:13 AM

I do remember that when Utah cancelled BYU Larry made the comment that they would schedule at least one opponent that would cause Ute fans to high five each other. There was a lot of speculation about that being Gonzaga (a game that makes sense on a lot of levels). I wonder if that would change now.

DrumNFeather
03-21-2016, 11:42 AM
I do remember that when Utah cancelled BYU Larry made the comment that they would schedule at least one opponent that would cause Ute fans to high five each other. There was a lot of speculation about that being Gonzaga (a game that makes sense on a lot of levels). I wonder if that would change now.

There was also some chatter that the BYU game next year was a home and home because someone backed out of a game with us...or at least that was the inference by some, but I've not seen that reported or substantiated anywhere else.

I always think that these coaches should just get together with the other teams in their NCAA tournament Pod and get some games scheduled. Iowa St, Purdue, Little Rock, Iona...sure, why not?

DrumNFeather
03-21-2016, 01:29 PM
Looks like last year's slate wasn't finalized until September.

kccougar
03-22-2016, 08:12 AM

Given Larry's track record, that's a given.

UBlender
03-22-2016, 08:45 AM
I don't get it.

He's saying that Utah cancelled BYU because Larry knew we would lose and therefore we would not play a series against Gonzaga because we know we will lose that one too. In other words, he's admitting to being a simple troll or a dim bulb--I'm not sure which.

NorthwestUteFan
03-22-2016, 08:46 AM
If Gonzaga goes on to win the ncaa championship maybe we could play them in the Staples Center, a la Duke at MSG.

NorthwestUteFan
03-22-2016, 08:59 AM
Given Larry's track record, that's a given.
Frankly I am nervous about our OOC schedule next year considering Isaiah Wright will be our starting PG until (future All-American PG) Barefield can play in January.

At least Eric Mika will be able to contribute immediately for Utah.

chrisrenrut
03-22-2016, 09:23 AM
He's saying that Utah cancelled BYU because Larry knew we would lose and therefore we would not play a series against Gonzaga because we know we will lose that one too. In other words, he's admitting to being a simple troll or a dim bulb--I'm not sure which.

As much as I disagreed with cancelling the BYU series myself, I am kind of enjoying how much it has gotten under BYU fans' skin.

LA Ute
03-22-2016, 10:55 AM
As much as I disagreed with cancelling the BYU series myself, I am kind of enjoying how much it has gotten under BYU fans' skin.

Their favorite lament is that Larry is afraid to play them. It's wonderful to watch.

UtahsMrSports
03-23-2016, 02:39 PM
With the new rules, i wonder if kyle kuzma will declare for the draft. I think i would if i were in his shoes.

Old Standing ute
03-23-2016, 03:26 PM
Frankly I am nervous about our OOC schedule next year considering Isaiah Wright will be our starting PG until (future All-American PG) Barefield can play in January.

At least Eric Mika will be able to contribute immediately for Utah.

When can they play?
I remember the FB situation where Jason Thompson could play in the bowl game because the first semester had ended. Is it when it ends or when the next semester starts??

If the former then maybe schedule so that majority of games after that date??

Jarid in Cedar
03-23-2016, 03:50 PM
When can they play?
I remember the FB situation where Jason Thompson could play in the bowl game because the first semester had ended. Is it when it ends or when the next semester starts??

If the former then maybe schedule so that majority of games after that date??

When they have completed 2 semesters. So after the completion of Fall Semester.

Diehard Ute
03-23-2016, 03:52 PM
When they have completed 2 semesters. So after the completion of Fall Semester.

Last day of Exams is December 16th

Utebiquitous
03-23-2016, 04:10 PM
Old Standing,
Interesting idea of hoping Larry can schedule several games after Dec. 16. On the one hand, you don't want to go overboard and not give the team somewhat of a Christmas break but I'd love to see an extra game or two scheduled over the norm between Dec. 16 and Dec. 31 - especially if they can get a game against a difficult team. I'd like to see Barefield and Collette get a difficult game experience with their teammates going into Pac-12 play. I may be making more out of this than I should but it seems to make some sense on the surface.

U-Ute
03-23-2016, 04:11 PM
https://twitter.com/KySportsRadio/status/712737749963563008

UtahsMrSports
03-23-2016, 05:13 PM
What are the new rules?

Basically, they relaxed the rules. You can go workout with one team, go to some other camp, and return to school by late may.

DrumNFeather
03-23-2016, 06:43 PM
Old Standing,
Interesting idea of hoping Larry can schedule several games after Dec. 16. On the one hand, you don't want to go overboard and not give the team somewhat of a Christmas break but I'd love to see an extra game or two scheduled over the norm between Dec. 16 and Dec. 31 - especially if they can get a game against a difficult team. I'd like to see Barefield and Collette get a difficult game experience with their teammates going into Pac-12 play. I may be making more out of this than I should but it seems to make some sense on the surface.
Last year there was talk of scheduling a school like Westminster for one of the byes during conference play. I'd be good with that.

Looks from this year's schedule that we're looking at 8-10 games which would include the Diamond Head Classic. Would be back for the likes of Duke (19th).

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

DrumNFeather
03-29-2016, 10:05 AM
Utah vs Marquette in SLC next season. In Milwaukee the following.

Wojo is one of the guys I liked in our last coaching search. I liked Larry too of course.

Love it.

DrumNFeather
03-29-2016, 01:28 PM
Poeltl makes 2nd team AP All-American team. First team is Hield, Valentine, Johnson, Ulis, and Brogdon.

Can't wait to see him come back and go for 1st team! :moron:

Applejack
03-29-2016, 01:32 PM
Can't wait to see him come back and go for 1st team! :moron:

motivation! He was snubbed!

Diehard Ute
03-29-2016, 03:34 PM
Utah vs Marquette in SLC next season. In Milwaukee the following.

Wojo is one of the guys I liked in our last coaching search. I liked Larry too of course.

Or not. Riley is reporting the news was premature. They're talking but aren't close to a deal

Diehard Ute
03-29-2016, 07:32 PM
Reyes and Wright Transferring

http://www.sltrib.com/blogs/uofusports/3719708-155/utah-basketball-isaiah-wright-chris-reyes

LA Ute
03-29-2016, 07:39 PM
Reyes and Wright Transferring

http://www.sltrib.com/blogs/uofusports/3719708-155/utah-basketball-isaiah-wright-chris-reyes

Not a big surprise. I wish them well. They are good Utes.

Diehard Ute
03-29-2016, 07:41 PM
Not a big surprise. I wish them well. They are good Utes.

Nope. Wright's father was complimentary of the U and the coaches. Said Isaiah was not asked to leave, but wanted a change of scenery.

Per Bill Riley Reyes has graduated and will be eligible immediately.

Both Wright and Reyes were granted their releases already.

UtahsMrSports
03-29-2016, 08:13 PM
Ok, if Collette is a walk on, as reported, then we are now one player short. That includes pvd.

Diehard Ute
03-29-2016, 08:18 PM
Ok, if Collette is a walk on, as reported, then we are now one player short. That includes pvd.

That all depends on what they decide to do for the spring semester with Collette.

Ogbe's health will also be an issue. If he can't heal up he'll likely take a medical much like Olsen.

Solon
03-30-2016, 10:41 AM
I like these two. Seems like the other players like Reyes. I think he was probably good for the team morale.

Wright never seemed to be happy this year. Hopefully his next stop works out better for him. I had really high hopes for him.

It's amazing how quickly the program has recovered. Five or six years ago, these guys would have been good "gets."
I wish both well. Reyes played big in a few spots this season, even if he is the all-time team leader in missed 2-footers.

Applejack
03-30-2016, 11:41 AM
It's amazing how quickly the program has recovered. Five or six years ago, these guys would have been good "gets."
I wish both well. Reyes played big in a few spots this season, even if he is the all-time team leader in missed 2-footers.

If he is remembered for one thing it will be ripping down an offensive, pumping once, pumping twice, then bricking a gimme layup.

DrumNFeather
03-30-2016, 11:49 AM
If he is remembered for one thing it will be ripping down an offensive, pumping once, pumping twice, then bricking a gimme layup.

He probably gave Nate Althoff a run for his money in that regard (Here come the Althoff defenders...).

Applejack
03-30-2016, 12:03 PM
He probably gave Nate Althoff a run for his money in that regard (Here come the Althoff defenders...).

Does Althoff have defenders? Good guy, but lurpy.

DrumNFeather
03-30-2016, 12:22 PM

He was masterful at losing the ball on the power dribble.

Rocker Ute
03-30-2016, 12:58 PM

Althoff was one of those guys (there were always a few on Majerus' teams) who looked so terrified of screwing up that he'd screw up. I have no doubt that terror was well-founded too.

UtahsMrSports
04-02-2016, 08:58 AM
According to CBS, Jakob will announce his plans this coming week. Last year, he didnt announce until much later in the month. Kid clearly likes to take his time and think things through, even on decisions that seem like a slam dunk.

hostile
04-02-2016, 10:40 AM

That move is now known as a Rey-up.

NorthwestUteFan
04-02-2016, 07:48 PM
I want nothing more than for Syracuse to lose in embarrassing fashion tonight.

NorthwestUteFan
04-02-2016, 09:32 PM
I can't root for a team who was gifted a win over Gonzaga, and who should be in probation this year.

LA Ute
04-02-2016, 10:45 PM
I'm for 'Nova.

#1 Utefan
04-02-2016, 10:58 PM
With the new rules, i wonder if kyle kuzma will declare for the draft. I think i would if i were in his shoes.

Kuzma should declare? Uhh... we are talking about the Kyle Kuzma that plays for Utah, right?

Utah
04-02-2016, 11:01 PM
Kuzma should declare? Uhh... we are talking about the Kyle Kuzma that plays for Utah, right?

Yes, and he should consider it. He can talk to scouts, get tips on how to improve, then come back and go to work.

You can declare now and then come back.

Applejack
04-03-2016, 05:59 AM
Yes, and he should consider it. He can talk to scouts, get tips on how to improve, then come back and go to work.

You can declare now and then come back.
If I were a scout, on things to improve for kuzma I'd write, "basketball."

UtahsMrSports
04-03-2016, 08:47 AM

I dont think you grasp the new rules. .

Utah
04-03-2016, 10:02 AM

Lol. Now I've got to clean the liquid off my phone.

NorthwestUteFan
04-03-2016, 10:22 AM
So, go Jay Wrights, right?
Go Villanova.

justaute
04-03-2016, 10:28 AM
Love it. haha

Dwight Schr-Ute
04-04-2016, 12:04 AM
FB happened to remind me that today was the 5th Anniversary of Larry Krystkowiak's hiring. Looking back, I'm rather embarrassed by the tone of my post. I'll credit the pessimism to the years of disappointment leading up to his hiring. Glad that he's made a believer out of me.

Rocker Ute
04-04-2016, 09:38 AM
FB happened to remind me that today was the 5th Anniversary of Larry Krystkowiak's hiring. Looking back, I'm rather embarrassed by the tone of my post. I'll credit the pessimism to the years of disappointment leading up to his hiring. Glad that he's made a believer out of me.

I think most people were at best reserved, if not outright skeptical at the time, thinking of what we'd been through. I remembered witnessing Kodiak's Montana team in the tournament and liking the style of ball and hoping that we'd get him the first go round, but at that point in the Pac12 I was also hoping for a big-named coach, not Larry.

We are lucky to be where we are at, lots of good schools never get out of that death spiral. At the time I felt like we were the worst possible scenario for a good coach to want to come into. The program was in shambles and it was surrounded by fans with sky high expectations. We'll all remember the pucker we felt when most of the team walked away after he arrived too.

I'll always remember before his second season he was asked to speak to the Alumni Association. In the Q&A part someone asked him what sort of goals he had for that (his second) year upcoming, whether it was the NIT or what? Larry kind of looked at the guy like he was amused and said, "Sure, NIT, let's say that..."

The guy was NOT pleased with the answer and he grumbled the rest of the time to his friend about the direction of the program and a coach who hadn't even set out minimal goals. Kodiak knew exactly what was going on in his program, that they weren't going to be NIT bound, and they were mid rebuild. I'm glad he stuck with that vision, because there was certainly a ton of pressure to win and win now, but he took the harder but much healthier road. Good stuff.

LA Ute
04-04-2016, 10:09 AM
I think most people were at best reserved, if not outright skeptical at the time, thinking of what we'd been through. I remembered witnessing Kodiak's Montana team in the tournament and liking the style of ball and hoping that we'd get him the first go round, but at that point in the Pac12 I was also hoping for a big-named coach, not Larry.

We are lucky to be where we are at, lots of good schools never get out of that death spiral. At the time I felt like we were the worst possible scenario for a good coach to want to come into. The program was in shambles and it was surrounded by fans with sky high expectations. We'll all remember the pucker we felt when most of the team walked away after he arrived too.

I'll always remember before his second season he was asked to speak to the Alumni Association. In the Q&A part someone asked him what sort of goals he had for that (his second) year upcoming, whether it was the NIT or what? Larry kind of looked at the guy like he was amused and said, "Sure, NIT, let's say that..."

The guy was NOT pleased with the answer and he grumbled the rest of the time to his friend about the direction of the program and a coach who hadn't even set out minimal goals. Kodiak knew exactly what was going on in his program, that they weren't going to be NIT bound, and they were mid rebuild. I'm glad he stuck with that vision, because there was certainly a ton of pressure to win and win now, but he took the harder but much healthier road. Good stuff.

My attitude was, "Really? Well, OK, I'll take your word for it and hope for the best." People were telling me that Larry was a great get and we'd soon see that he was. I admit to feeling a bit let down. I started to become a believer when I started watching his first team play. They were terrible that first year, but I could tell they were trying to run an identifiable offense and they clearly had an identifiable approach to defense. That was refreshing to see after watching several years of what looked like ward ball.

Applejack
04-04-2016, 10:14 AM
My attitude was, "Really? Well, OK, I'll take your word for it and hope for the best." People were telling me that Larry was a great get and we'd soon see that he was. I admit to feeling a bit let down. I started to become a believer when I started watching his first team play. They were terrible that first year, but I could tell they were trying to run an identifiable offense and they clearly had an identifiable approach to defense. That was refreshing to see after watching several years of what looked like ward ball.

Agreed. that first season was his best coaching job. I honestly had visions of 0-16 in conference with one out of conference victory against Mt Saint Helens. He led us to 3 wins in conference!

U-Ute
04-04-2016, 10:17 AM

The game at Stanford in the second half of the season was when I became a believer.

We were getting open shots, but just weren't talented enough to to hit them. Plus, the team was playing tough on D. We were losing games, but we weren't getting blown out. They were a tough group of kids which I knew was a reflection of K. You could see we just didn't have the talent to compete.

UtahsMrSports
04-04-2016, 12:27 PM
One of my favorite memories of Larrys early days is when Larrys brother visited every forum he coud find and would argue with anyone who wasnt on board with his brother. I had an obscure blog at the time and he was a daily visitor, often the only one. He and mister crimson had some really intense back and forths

Two Utes
04-04-2016, 12:36 PM
One of my favorite memories of Larrys early days is when Larrys brother visited every forum he coud find and would argue with anyone who wasnt on board with his brother. I had an obscure blog at the time and he was a daily visitor, often the only one. He and mister crimson had some really intense back and forths

Crimson just wanted to argue the opposite side no matter what. Once he took his position he didn't care about facts. No wonder he was wrong so many times.

LA Ute
04-04-2016, 01:46 PM
Crimson just wanted to argue the opposite side no matter what. Once he took his position he didn't care about facts. No wonder he was wrong so many times.

Mr. C and I have always been pretty friendly. Things went very wrong during the transition from Boylen to LK. I've never quite understood it.

UtahsMrSports
04-04-2016, 06:15 PM
I suppose its neither here nor there but it would be very interesting to hear how much (if any at all) encouragement there was by Jimmy Boylen to members of that team to leave once he got canned. Ive heard so many different versions.

Scratch
04-04-2016, 07:09 PM
I'll pat myself on the back here, I've been a big Krystko-as-coach fan for a while. I was incredibly disappointed when it fell through the first time, and was ecstatic when we did hire him.

UtahsMrSports
04-04-2016, 07:43 PM
It is neither here nor there, but it is possible to give that kind of advice out of genuine concern and not out of spite.

I believe that. I believe jim cared about his guys tremendously.

Rocker Ute
04-04-2016, 09:20 PM
It is neither here nor there, but it is possible to give that kind of advice out of genuine concern and not out of spite.

It is possible but how well-founded was it? In fact you could argue that with what we know about Larry and his staff now, it was downright irresponsible and did a few guys a major disservice (presuming the rumors are true). Will Clyburn and JJ O'Brien could have learned a thing or two from Kodiak.

I'm also curious what sort of contractual obligation a coach might have to not steer players away from the program, if any. If not there should be, I don't see how you can continue to collect a paycheck from an organization and harm it like that.

Jarid in Cedar
04-04-2016, 09:37 PM

It is possible but how well-founded was it? In fact you could argue that with what we know about Larry and his staff now, it was downright irresponsible and did a few guys a major disservice (presuming the rumors are true). Will Clyburn and JJ O'Brien could have learned a thing or two from Kodiak.

I'm also curious what sort of contractual obligation a coach might have to not steer players away from the program, if any. If not there should be, I don't see how you can continue to collect a paycheck from an organization and harm it like that.
That was my thought

Jim to player: yeah, I kinda fucked up this program so bad that you are probably better off transferring somewhere else.

Probably shouldn't put that on a resume.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

SoCalPat
04-05-2016, 02:52 PM

Clyburn is a strange bird. He wanted to redshirt upon arriving, but Jimmy, knowing he was on thin ice, insisted he play.

There was also a woman behind Clyburn's decision to transfer to Iowa State. Remember, he JUCO'ed in that state. Honestly, we could've brought John Wooden back from the dead and Clyburn still would've been gone.

I wanted to believe Jimmy was steering people away, because at the end, I really wanted him gone. He deserved to be fired, but there have been a lot of ill-informed opinions that have been out there about him. Steering players away from the program definitely qualifies as something that has no basis in reality.

SeattleUte
04-05-2016, 02:58 PM
Clyburn is a strange bird. He wanted to redshirt upon arriving, but Jimmy, knowing he was on thin ice, insisted he play.

There was also a woman behind Clyburn's decision to transfer to Iowa State. Remember, he JUCO'ed in that state. Honestly, we could've brought John Wooden back from the dead and Clyburn still would've been gone.

I wanted to believe Jimmy was steering people away, because at the end, I really wanted him gone. He deserved to be fired, but there have been a lot of ill-informed opinions that have been out there about him. Steering players away from the program definitely qualifies as something that has no basis in reality.

He gave a quote to some paper that strongly suggested he was doing it.

SeattleUte
04-05-2016, 02:59 PM

I don't think so. I honestly think that MC had a soft spot for Boylen's haplessness and buffoonery. I wonder why.

As LA notes, defending Boylen got very personal for MC; it wasn't just devil's advocacy.

SoCalPat
04-05-2016, 03:00 PM

Guys like Larry's brother don't just wake up one day and decide they're done with those kinds of battles. They're told to knock it off. I don't have any doubt that news made it back to Larry, and he told his brother just that -- stop it already. That's one thing that started making me a fan.

As for on-court results, the season-ending sweep of the Oregon schools, coupled with the run to the Pac-12 semis in Year 2 made Utah hoops seem relevant again. And fun.

Larry ain't perfect and he'll never be Wooden -- or even Majerus. But I like him in spite of his flaws and hope he's at Utah a long time.

SoCalPat
04-05-2016, 03:02 PM
He gave a quote to some paper that strongly suggested he was doing it.

There's a massive difference between actively encouraging Player X to leave, and giving his opinion when Player X asks him for his thoughts.

NorthwestUteFan
04-05-2016, 03:25 PM
I will happily trade Majerus' game-time brilliance and off-court/practice time drama for a more stable program That we now have under Krystkowiak. We are in a better place by far.

And I loved Majerus.

mpfunk
04-05-2016, 03:33 PM
I will happily trade Majerus' game-time brilliance and off-court/practice time drama for a more stable program That we now have under Krystkowiak. We are in a better place by far.

And I loved Majerus.

I would not under any circumstances trade where we are now for what Majerus did at Utah.

mpfunk
04-05-2016, 03:38 PM
There's a massive difference between actively encouraging Player X to leave, and giving his opinion when Player X asks him for his thoughts.

Boylen had a duty of good faith to the university that was still cutting him checks at that time. If a player approached him, his options were to give no advice or encourage the player to remain at Utah. If he even hinted a player should transfer, he is a piece of shit that deserves to pay back every penny that Utah gave him after rightfully terminating his ass.

Scorcho
04-05-2016, 04:02 PM
I would not under any circumstances trade where we are now for what Majerus did at Utah.

Really? Not a fan of the Final Four or Elite 8's? Reminder, he did that with mostly WAC talent

I like Krysko, but that's like saying as an Indiana fan, I enjoy the Tom Crean era much more than I did the Bobby Knight one.

SeattleUte
04-05-2016, 04:12 PM
Boylen had a duty of good faith to the university that was still cutting him checks at that time. If a player approached him, his options were to give no advice or encourage the player to remain at Utah. If he even hinted a player should transfer, he is a piece of shit that deserves to pay back every penny that Utah gave him after rightfully terminating his ass.

I agree.

mpfunk
04-05-2016, 05:09 PM
Really? Not a fan of the Final Four or Elite 8's? Reminder, he did that with mostly WAC talent

I like Krysko, but that's like saying as an Indiana fan, I enjoy the Tom Crean era much more than I did the Bobby Knight one.

I think my statement was pretty awkward. I'll make it very clear. Majerus is the gold standard of Utah basketball. What he did is amazing. It is unlikely we will ever have success like that again. I'll take Majerus' run at Utah over where we are right now with Krystkowiak. I like Krystkowiak, but he is no Majerus.

SeattleUte
04-05-2016, 05:31 PM

I think funk agrees with you. So do I. What you say is well stated.

snafu
04-05-2016, 05:39 PM
I think my statement was pretty awkward. I'll make it very clear. Majerus is the gold standard of Utah basketball. What he did is amazing. It is unlikely we will ever have success like that again. I'll take Majerus' run at Utah over where we are right now with Krystkowiak. I like Krystkowiak, but he is no Majerus.

I think most would agree that Majerus is the gold standard of Utah bball. However, he also had 13-14 years to earn that distinction. Krystko just finished his 5th. Maybe we should wait and see what Krystko can accomplish before we compare the two. Also, Majerus stunted his own progress with his annual daliance with other high profile coaching positions. To this day I still imagine what could have been after 1998. Instead the program ended up in a trash heap for nearly a decade.

SeattleUte
04-05-2016, 05:47 PM
I think most would agree that Majerus is the gold standard of Utah bball. However, he also had 13-14 years to earn that distinction. Krystko just finished his 5th. Maybe we should wait and see what Krystko can accomplish before we compare the two. Also, Majerus stunted his own progress with his annual daliance with other high profile coaching positions. To this day I still imagine what could have been after 1998. Instead the program ended up in a trash heap for nearly a decade.

In the trash heap for nearly a decade? wtf are you talking about, snafu? Majerus left in 2004; it's only 12 years later now. Meanwhile, Utah won MWC conference titles in 2000, 2001, 2003, 2005, and 2009. It went to the Sweet 16 in 2005 and again in 2014. By the way, the 2005 and 2009 successes were because of Majerus recruits.

Rocker Ute
04-05-2016, 05:54 PM
What Mpfunk said re Boylen's obligation is correct. I left an employer once, hated my time there, thought the owners were idiots and it was a miserable experience in incompetence and stupidity.

They also paid me each pay period for the time I was there.

When people ask me about my time there I say that I learned a lot and I am grateful for my experience there. That statement is all true too, I learned what not to do and it was an experience that I know how to avoid in the future so I'm grateful.

snafu
04-05-2016, 06:13 PM
In the trash heap for nearly a decade? wtf are you talking about, snafu? Majerus left in 2004; it's only 12 years later now. Meanwhile, Utah won MWC conference titles in 2000, 2001, 2003, 2005, and 2009. It went to the Sweet 16 in 2005 and again in 2014. By the way, the 2005 and 2009 successes were because of Majerus recruits.

So what kind of program did Krystko inherit when he took over? A dumpster fire that took three years to climb out of. We didn't win a single NCAA tournament game from 2006-2013. We qualified for the tournament one time during that period and we got blown out in the first round.

SeattleUte
04-05-2016, 07:03 PM
So what kind of program did Krystko inherit when he took over? A dumpster fire that took three years to climb out of. We didn't win a single NCAA tournament game from 2006-2013. We qualified for the tournament one time during that period and we got blown out in the first round.

I completely agree. But that was in no way Majerus' fault--Chris Hill and Boylen are to blame. Only MC's imaginative proximate cause formulation could come up with that.

SeattleUte
04-05-2016, 07:09 PM
Anything good that happened after 2004 was still because of Majerus--his recruits. Everything bad that happened was because of other people.

LA Ute
04-06-2016, 12:50 AM
I think comparing Rick to Larry is pointless. Even though their coaching gigs were not separated by many years, they really coached at Utah in different eras.

Utah
04-06-2016, 10:51 AM
Rick is the gold standard.

That being said, our ceiling is much higher now than it ever was with Rick.

Just a couple years ago we had three wins.

Since then we've been to a sweet sixteen and two tourney appearances in a row. We have a TON of talent that has as much potential that we've ever had.

I'm not saying that Kuzma, Daniels, Johnson and Barefield will be as good as the late 90's teams...

But they have potential to be as good.

Utah has every ability to get back to where we were under Rick.

SeattleUte
04-06-2016, 11:22 AM
I think comparing Rick to Larry is pointless. Even though their coaching gigs were not separated by many years, they really coached at Utah in different eras.

Look, knock of the apologetics. We aren't going to put Kodiak on the same plane as Majerus until he gets us to a Final Four, competes for or wins a national championship, and wins some conference championships. It's that simple. If anything he has more going for him than Majerus did.

Whit is on the same plane as Pope Urban and there's one reason--2008. Since then he's been playing with house money, but he's done about as well as Kodiak has.

LA Ute
04-06-2016, 11:53 AM
Look, knock of the apologetics. We aren't going to put Kodiak on the same plane as Majerus until he gets us to a Final Four, competes for or wins a national championship, and wins some conference championships. It's that simple. If anything he has more going for him than Majerus did.

Whit is on the same plane as Pope Urban and there's one reason--2008. Since then he's been playing with house money, but he's done about as well as Kodiak has.

I'm afraid I don't know what you are talking about. Have you gone off half-cocked again by inferring something from a broad but terse statement I made? Come on, man. Put down your gun.

snafu
04-06-2016, 12:41 PM

The facts:
After 5 years-
Majerus had a win/loss of 108-50, Krystko 95-73
NCAA tournament- Majerus 3-2, Krystko 3-2, both qualified for one sweet 16
Conference championships- Majerus had 2, Krystko has 0

FountainOfUte
04-06-2016, 02:57 PM
Majerus is like that crazy guy at work who is a savant and brings home the bacon for the whole company, so you let him put whatever nerdy and distasteful garbage around his cubicle and make a mess of the break room. I worked with a guy like this once. Dude was weird, but the executives knew that the guy was critical to their success.

Meanwhile, Krystkowiak is like that guy who comes to the office and just works his butt off. He's smart enough to trust, though you don't expect any of his ideas to cure cancer or cause world peace. But you know he's capable, trustworthy, and to top it off, he's a genuinely nice guy. You don't begrudge him when he gets promoted, and you know that whatever team or project is under his management is in good hands.

Of course I loved the highs that Rick brought us, but man, I think we sold our souls a bit for it and paid for it for the better part of a decade. Today, with LK, things feel more "clean," and genuine. It feels above board and based on sweat equity -- not praying for the heavy hitter to knock one over the fence in the bottom of the 9th and two out.

Now, being in the PAC-12 has much to do with my bullish feelings about hoops. The new facility doesn't hurt either. But I gotta say, I feel better about where Ute basketball is today than I even did in the late '90s. Even back then we knew we had a ceiling. Today, I'll be honest, I don't feel like we do -- at least not much of one. Like any team, we're one stud away from being a Final Four team. Difference is today (compared to the Majerus era) I actually feel like we have a shot to get that kid without it being dumb luck or an EXTREME case of "diamond in the rough" (e.g. Van Horn, Poeltl).

mpfunk
04-06-2016, 07:24 PM
Rick is the gold standard.

That being said, our ceiling is much higher now than it ever was with Rick.

Just a couple years ago we had three wins.

Since then we've been to a sweet sixteen and two tourney appearances in a row. We have a TON of talent that has as much potential that we've ever had.

I'm not saying that Kuzma, Daniels, Johnson and Barefield will be as good as the late 90's teams...

But they have potential to be as good.

Utah has every ability to get back to where we were under Rick.

No we don't. It won't happen.

We don't have a higher ceiling.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

mpfunk
04-06-2016, 07:27 PM
Majerus is like that crazy guy at work who is a savant and brings home the bacon for the whole company, so you let him put whatever nerdy and distasteful garbage around his cubicle and make a mess of the break room. I worked with a guy like this once. Dude was weird, but the executives knew that the guy was critical to their success.

Meanwhile, Krystkowiak is like that guy who comes to the office and just works his butt off. He's smart enough to trust, though you don't expect any of his ideas to cure cancer or cause world peace. But you know he's capable, trustworthy, and to top it off, he's a genuinely nice guy. You don't begrudge him when he gets promoted, and you know that whatever team or project is under his management is in good hands.

Of course I loved the highs that Rick brought us, but man, I think we sold our souls a bit for it and paid for it for the better part of a decade. Today, with LK, things feel more "clean," and genuine. It feels above board and based on sweat equity -- not praying for the heavy hitter to knock one over the fence in the bottom of the 9th and two out.

Now, being in the PAC-12 has much to do with my bullish feelings about hoops. The new facility doesn't hurt either. But I gotta say, I feel better about where Ute basketball is today than I even did in the late '90s. Even back then we knew we had a ceiling. Today, I'll be honest, I don't feel like we do -- at least not much of one. Like any team, we're one stud away from being a Final Four team. Difference is today (compared to the Majerus era) I actually feel like we have a shot to get that kid without it being dumb luck or an EXTREME case of "diamond in the rough" (e.g. Van Horn, Poeltl).

Majerus had nothing. Zero. Not a thing to do with the problems after he was unjustly run out of town.

Scratch
04-06-2016, 10:15 PM
I love Krystko and think he's a great coach, but it's extremely unlikely that he will ever compare to Majerus as a coach, just because almost no one can compare with Majerus.

Just sit back and imagine what a 40-year-old Majerus could do if you handed him the keys of the 2017 Utah Utes, with P12 affiliation, nre facilities, money for assistants, etc. We would have won national championships, I have no doubt of that.

LA Ute
04-07-2016, 07:31 AM
I love Krystko and think he's a great coach, but it's extremely unlikely that he will ever compare to Majerus as a coach, just because almost no one can compare with Majerus.

Just sit back and imagine what a 40-year-old Majerus could do if you handed him the keys of the 2017 Utah Utes, with P12 affiliation, nre facilities, money for assistants, etc. We would have won national championships, I have no doubt of that.

I almost became a fan of USC basketball when he was briefly the coach there. It would have been fun to see what he would have accomplished as a Trojan. He may have awakened the sleeping giant once and for all.

LA Ute
04-07-2016, 08:23 AM
Majerus had nothing. Zero. Not a thing to do with the problems after he was unjustly run out of town.

🙄

concerned
04-07-2016, 08:25 AM

Well, given the fact that no Pac 12 team has been in the FF since 2008, that Ariz has had great recruiting classes (and a spectacular one coming up), and that Sean Miller is a pretty good coach himself, I guess I have doubts.

BTW, are you saying (i) if Majerus replaced LK in 2017, he would win championships going forward, or (ii) if we had been a member of the Pac 12 in 1991, he would have won them between 91-04?

Utah
04-07-2016, 09:57 AM

Yet, mpfunk says we don't have a higher ceiling now. We have a much higher ceiling than we ever had in the MWC.

We have gotten much better POTENTIAL players than we did in the MWC. Andre Miller wasn't rated as high as Barefield. KVN wasn't rated as high as Johnson or Poeltl. We have never had a team with as much POTENTIAL as what we will have next fall.

Now, will they end up as good as the 1997-98 teams? Probably not. BUT, the potential is there and the ceiling is way higher than it ever was under Rick.

mpfunk is getting old man syndrome..."in the good old days..."

The reality is the good old days usually sucked and there will always be someone better.

concerned
04-07-2016, 10:39 AM
Recruiting rankings are not a measure of potential. They are a measure of probability. You can land a bunch of 4/5 star players and end up with team full of 0 potential.

But I get your point. On the one hand, we have a higher ceiling than before because we are in the Pac-12. On the other hand, as a big fish in a small pond in the WAC, we had a far easier path to the tournament. Getting to the dance regularly is what it's all about.

Would Wichita State have a higher ceiling in the Big12 than the MVC? Maybe, but I think they'd have a hard time. Would Boise St football have a higher ceiling in the Pac-12 than in the MWC? It's not clear to me.

Obviously, I love being in the Pac-12 and wouldn't change it for anything, but I'm not sure we have a higher ceiling in basketball than we did before. After all, the ceiling before was the championship game.

Oh, and remember when you said you had a tendency to get over-excited and come off as a jerk? The "old man syndrome" accusation probably doesn't help.

Would Villanova have a higher ceiling in the ACC?

DrumNFeather
04-07-2016, 10:46 AM
Wilner Ranks the league heading into next year: http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegesports/2016/04/07/pac-12-basketball-4/

Utes:

5. Utah (27-9/13-5/2nd): Even with Larry Krystkowiak’s wizardry, the Utes seem destined for a pullback without Brandon Taylor, Jordan Loveridge and Jakob Poeltl. Don’t expect major slippage with Kyle Kuzma and Lorenzo Bonam returning, but the lineup looks more middle-of-the-Pac than upper echelon. That would all change if Poeltl returns. (He hasn’t declared, yet.) With the big fella in the lineup, the Utes would probably be No. 3 in these projections.

Utah
04-07-2016, 02:36 PM
Wilner Ranks the league heading into next year: http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegesports/2016/04/07/pac-12-basketball-4/

Utes:

[/FONT][/COLOR]

If Poeltl returned, I'd expect us to be 1/2. We have a lot of talent coming in and Poeltl is that good.

mpfunk
04-07-2016, 02:42 PM
Yet, mpfunk says we don't have a higher ceiling now. We have a much higher ceiling than we ever had in the MWC.

We have gotten much better POTENTIAL players than we did in the MWC. Andre Miller wasn't rated as high as Barefield. KVN wasn't rated as high as Johnson or Poeltl. We have never had a team with as much POTENTIAL as what we will have next fall.

Now, will they end up as good as the 1997-98 teams? Probably not. BUT, the potential is there and the ceiling is way higher than it ever was under Rick.

mpfunk is getting old man syndrome..."in the good old days..."

The reality is the good old days usually sucked and there will always be someone better.

You have forgotten how brilliant Rick Majerus was as a coach. I like Krystkowiak, glad that we have him. Majerus was one of the all time greats, end of story. Our ceiling isn't higher because we don't have one of the greatest of all time on the bench.

The number one reason that Miller ended up being up great is Rick Majerus. Miller was his ultimate student. Miller is the example of what happened when a player completely bought in with Majerus and absorbed all the knowledge he could from Majerus.

Rocker Ute
04-07-2016, 02:52 PM
I have actually wondered how well Rick would do in this day and age at the U or some other name program. He almost needs to be at a smaller school or a program like Utah. Most big name kids produced by the AAU generation wouldn't play for him or wouldn't last long. He is a coach made for 'diamonds in the rough' or tough-nosed kids who could bear through his coaching style.

I've always maintained that Phil Jackson was successful because he was a master of managing egos. The importance of that has grown in college b-ball.

Kodiak has some grit but I frankly think he is better suited for this day and age than Maj.

I don't think that takes away from either coach either.

Majerus was definitely a better basketball mind but Larry has a higher upside on what sort of players he can potentially bring in.

Utah
04-07-2016, 03:55 PM
You have forgotten how brilliant Rick Majerus was as a coach. I like Krystkowiak, glad that we have him. Majerus was one of the all time greats, end of story. Our ceiling isn't higher because we don't have one of the greatest of all time on the bench.

The number one reason that Miller ended up being up great is Rick Majerus. Miller was his ultimate student. Miller is the example of what happened when a player completely bought in with Majerus and absorbed all the knowledge he could from Majerus.

Rick was brilliant. What he did was amazing.

That being said, we have access to better players than we ever did in the MWC. Our ceiling is MUCH higher. Poeltl never comes here if we are a MWC team. Neither does Johnson. As great as a coach is, if you can't get the talent in the door, you can't win it all. In the PAC-12, we can become an Arizona. We could never do that in the MWC.

I'd much rather have Coach K in the PAC-12 than Majerus in the MWC.

Coach K will probably never be as good of a coach as Majerus, but Utah is in a much better place now with a much higher ceiling. There is no arguing that.

chrisrenrut
04-07-2016, 04:29 PM

. . .Our ceiling is MUCH higher. Poeltl never comes here if we are a MWC team. Neither does Johnson. As great as a coach is, if you can't get the talent in the door, you can't win it all. In the PAC-12, we can become an Arizona. We could never do that in the MWC.

. . .Utah is in a much better place now with a much higher ceiling. There is no arguing that.

I never unsderstand why people argue their opinions as facts about a complex hypothetical situation.

http://m.quickmeme.com/img/cc/cc92a0ede448efbc971addfb132e16f5532a3cf5c39d22047b 873d52774dd161.jpg

UtahsMrSports
04-07-2016, 04:53 PM
We really need some interesting recruiting or transfer news to break... .

Utah
04-07-2016, 05:41 PM
I never unsderstand why people argue their opinions as facts about a complex hypothetical situation.

http://m.quickmeme.com/img/cc/cc92a0ede448efbc971addfb132e16f5532a3cf5c39d22047b 873d52774dd161.jpg

Serious? You think our ceiling is higher in the MWC?

chrisrenrut
04-07-2016, 07:07 PM
Serious? You think our ceiling is higher in the MWC?

Its not an apples-to-apples comparison. Different times in so many ways. We came pretty darn close to the ceiling in the MWC (10 minutes away from a national championship). Under Larry, we may have a higher ceiling, but it is yet to be seen how close he can get us to that height.

LA Ute
04-07-2016, 07:22 PM
Must be the off-season.

Scorcho
04-08-2016, 07:40 AM
I'm going to nit-pick but Utah's final four run was as a member of the WAC and not the MWC

Utah
04-08-2016, 12:10 PM
I'm going to nit-pick but Utah's final four run was as a member of the WAC and not the MWC

Thanks. More reason it's a fact that we are better off now than in the WAC.

SeattleUte
04-08-2016, 05:15 PM

Of course they are opinions. Do they have to preface every statement with "in my opinion..."?

chrisrenrut
04-08-2016, 05:25 PM
Of course they are opinions. Do they have to preface every statement with "in my opinion..."?

Both of their posts had wording that stated the exact opposite. "Nothing, zero, not a thing." "There is no arguing that."

LA Ute
04-08-2016, 06:07 PM
Both of their posts had wording that stated the exact opposite. "Nothing, zero, not a thing." "There is no arguing that."

That's how some people say "In my opinion." 😉

DrumNFeather
04-12-2016, 10:58 AM
A note from Goon on next year's slate:

While the Utes are still building a schedule, it's known that they'll play in December's Diamond Head Classic in Honolulu, along with a group of opponents that includes San Diego State, Hawaii and Stephen F. Austin. Krystkowiak said the team has found an opponent to replace BYU on the schedule, and is in discussion with other schools — and may take an ESPN-scheduled game like it did last year against Duke.

Utah
04-12-2016, 01:48 PM
A note from Goon on next year's slate:

I saw somewhere that Gonzaga would take BYU's place. I wonder if they are waiting to see if they can get a "better" game before finalizing that game.

LA Ute
04-15-2016, 09:31 PM
Isn't there a thread on another board entitled "The Official Dave Rice is a Better Coach Than Larry K. Thread?"

:rofl:

"It's men in shorts." -- Rick Majerus

UTEopia
04-22-2016, 10:09 AM
I have to say that I am a little concerned about the upcoming season. Unless something significant happens on the recruiting front, I see us dropping to the middle of the PAC. Am I alone in this?

Center: Collette, Johnson, Mawien
PF: Kuzma, Rawson
SF: Chapman, Bealer
SG: Bonum, Daniels, VanDyke
PG: Barefield, Zamora

concerned
04-22-2016, 10:12 AM
I have to say that I am a little concerned about the upcoming season. Unless something significant happens on the recruiting front, I see us dropping to the middle of the PAC. Am I alone in this?

Me too. I think we will be in the bottom half. Missed on a lot of targets.

U-Ute
04-22-2016, 11:24 AM

In short: No. You are not alone in this thinking.

I've been bracing myself for that.

LA Ute
04-22-2016, 11:27 AM
In short: No. You are not alone in this thinking.

I've been bracing myself for that.

FWIW, that's what all the sports pundits seem to think. We should have reasonable expectations. That way, chances are that we will only be pleasantly surprised. (I won't think about unpleasant surprises.)

Applejack
04-22-2016, 11:28 AM

No, you are not alone. I don't see how one can argue otherwise: we lost two senior starters and an NBA lottery pick and a solid bench contributor; we replaced those pieces with a USU transfer, an SMU transfer, a good-looking freshman, and a JC from SLCC. I think we take a giant step back.

(NOTE TO UTAH: I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm saying it is highly unlikely).

snafu
04-22-2016, 11:30 AM

I think this is more likely:

C - Johnson, Collette, Mawien
PF - Kuzma, Rawson
SF - Chapman, Bealer
SG - Ogbe, Daniels, Zamora
PG - Bonam, Barefield, Van Dyke

I think we have a good mix of talent coming in for next season including Jayce Johnson who is a highly recruited big. You also left off Ogbe who would basically be like a new recruit this year since he hardly played last year. I see Bonam playing the point since Barefield will not be eligible until later in the season. I will be interested to see how we do with more bigs to work with. Poeltl had to play with a passive mentality on defense the entire season since there was no help behind him. We should be tougher and more aggressive on defense next season.

Utebiquitous
04-22-2016, 11:37 AM
A really optimistic viewpoint could see Utah in the third or fourth spot next season. That position would mean Ogbe stays, is healthy and becomes the shooter we need. I think it would also mean Chapman makes a good transition to the three and contributes significantly.

Reality/expectation for me is that we finish in the upper middle - positions 4, 5 or 6 (4 being pretty optimistic). I think Kuzma, Bonham and Chapman will help us win more than we lose in pre-season play. Adding Barefield and Collette midseason will be a huge boost. It would be great if we could win the NCAA appeal asking that Barefield be allowed to play the full season. I think Rawson will help us a little next year. It's critical that Zamora or Daniels become a contributor by the second half of the season as well. I don't mean to leave out Johnson and Bealer. Johnson has to be a defensive presence right away. I think Bealer can play but the staff doesn't. Until that changes, can't include him.

I'd love to see toughness and defense be defining characteristics of this team but I worry that we don't have enough DNA in the group. I've heard there's some SOB in both Johnson and Barefield. Perhaps they can impact Bonham and Kuzma in that area. We need that kind of contagion back in the program - way too soft this season.

UtahsMrSports
04-22-2016, 12:11 PM
Im cautiously optimistic for next year. I expect us to be upper middle, and right there for a tournament spot.

A lot of unknowns.

Btw, dont count us out of the yurtseven sweepstakes. The outlook for next year would be much different with him.

snafu
04-22-2016, 12:19 PM
For those that see us sliding next season, which teams would be superior to us?

Arizona/Oregon - elite
UCLA - incoming talent up the wazoo

Utah - loses Poeltl

USC - losing tons of talent
UW - losing tons of talent
Cal - losing tons of talent, especially if Rabb leaves
Stanford - ??
OSU - losing best player - Payton II
CU - loses best player - Scott

WSU - No
ASU - ??

Many teams are losing key guys just like us. I don't really see a scenario where we drop that far next season.

concerned
04-22-2016, 12:22 PM

Arizona/Oregon - elite

Utah - loses Poeltl

Stanford - ??

WSU - No
ASU - ??

Many teams are losing key guys just like us. I don't really see a scenario where we drop that far next season.

Cal if Rabb returns and OSU. I expect OSU to make a major leap this year. Two good recruiting classes and a year or two of playing for Tinkle. Maybe UW, USC, and CU too.

Applejack
04-22-2016, 12:32 PM

Arizona/Oregon - elite

Utah - loses Poeltl

Stanford - ??

WSU - No
ASU - ??

Good point. I think as fans we are too quick to highlight our losses, forgetting that other teams lose players as well, AND we are too quick to talk about improvement when other teams improve as well.

I don't know the ins and outs of who is losing whom, but I agree with Concerned that Cal and OSU probably are ahead of us. I'll add USC (lose a lot but they have a lot of highly rated incoming freshmen as well as some stud returnees) and CU (they lose Scott, a huge loss, but they were deeper than us this year). Nothing struck me about ASU, WSU, or Stanford as being a year away, though. UW is an enigma - tons of highly rated recruits, but that's true every year.

U-Ute
04-22-2016, 12:45 PM
30 year old poses as 17 year old junior.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2634593-69-high-school-basketball-player-who-may-actually-be-30-years-old-arrested

UTEopia
04-22-2016, 01:30 PM
I think this is more likely:

C - Johnson, Collette, Mawien
PF - Kuzma, Rawson
SF - Chapman, Bealer
SG - Ogbe, Daniels, Zamora
PG - Bonam, Barefield, Van Dyke

I think we have a good mix of talent coming in for next season including Jayce Johnson who is a highly recruited big. You also left off Ogbe who would basically be like a new recruit this year since he hardly played last year. I see Bonam playing the point since Barefield will not be eligible until later in the season. I will be interested to see how we do with more bigs to work with. Poeltl had to play with a passive mentality on defense the entire season since there was no help behind him. We should be tougher and more aggressive on defense next season.

I did leave off Ogbe because I have no confidence that he will be able to play.

snafu
05-06-2016, 09:39 AM
Pacers part ways with Vogel. Sounds like Jim Boylen could be a candidate for that gig...that would be fun to watch!

Dwight Schr-Ute
05-06-2016, 03:49 PM
Isaiah Wright ends up at San Diego. The WCC version, as I understand.

LA Ute
05-06-2016, 05:20 PM
Brekkott released to Weber State, among others. Has new baby.

justaute
05-06-2016, 05:39 PM
That's a lot of players gone. I like Coach K. Nonetheless, these transfers do not speak well to the coaching staff's talent evaluation capability.

Brekkott released to Weber State, among others. Has new baby.

snafu
05-06-2016, 05:57 PM
That's a lot of players gone. I like Coach K. Nonetheless, these transfers do not speak well to the coaching staff's talent evaluation capability.

I don't see this as a question of talent. I believe Chapman would have been a major contributor to the team next season. I think other things are at play here. With that said that brings the total to 7 players (and counting) that will not be back next season. That much turnover is not a good thing.

LA Ute
05-06-2016, 06:11 PM
Too bad. This is a serious loss.

The baby was a factor.

kccougar
05-06-2016, 07:55 PM
Was the baby also why Chapman was blocked from transferring to Utah State?

Jarid in Cedar
05-06-2016, 08:14 PM
Was the baby also why Chapman was blocked from transferring to Utah State?

No they did that solely to give you something to post about.

chrisrenrut
05-06-2016, 09:03 PM
No they did that solely to give you something to post about.

Somebody has to be the Internet Cop for yewt fans. kc provides a valuable service. His obsession keeps us humble.

NorthwestUteFan
05-06-2016, 10:17 PM
I will miss Brekkott. I wish him well. I think he will have success at Weber.

LA Ute
05-06-2016, 11:59 PM
It's not difficult to see. With a baby now and probably marriage looming -- so you have a family to worry about now -- Weber State looks like an attractive place to play. Especially if you are going to start at WSU and you can live in Roy with, or close to, family for a while, and also live close to school, and also have a chance to be another Damian Lillard, then yes, the baby is a factor. Maybe the one that tipped the scales.

SoCalPat
05-07-2016, 10:51 AM
It's not difficult to see. With a baby now and probably marriage looming -- so you have a family to worry about now -- Weber State looks like an attractive place to play. Especially if you are going to start at WSU and you can live in Roy with, or close to, family for a while, and also live close to school, and also have a chance to be another Damian Lillard, then yes, the baby is a factor. Maybe the one that tipped the scales.

Sorry LA, but this is apologist claptrap designed to keep Larry off the hook for absolutely blowing it with the development and retainment of the biggest in-state recruit he's signed during his tenure. You know who else all this bullshit applies to that you just described? 75 percent of the BYU football team. I don't see a huge rush of them transferring to Weber State.

Hell, Dakari Tucker was a baby daddy before arriving at Utah -- and he's from SoCal. Didn't stop him.

This might be the absolute weakest defense of a transfer I've ever seen. This is a really bad look for the program.

Jarid in Cedar
05-07-2016, 11:45 AM
I think there are a few things stated as facts that are probably not accurate.

I don't think Chapman is transferring to Weber State, but that WSU is the only instate school that he has a granted release.

Second, I don't think the coaches have an issue with a player being a father. I think that Chapman is using it as smokescreen for his transfer, which is about what every transfer involves; playing time.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

UtahsMrSports
05-07-2016, 12:38 PM
I sincerely wish brekkott well. I dont know what else is involved but on the court, he got beat out by a guy who was lower than him on the depth chart previously.

What negatives this has remains to be seen.

Old Standing ute
05-07-2016, 12:46 PM
Sorry LA, but this is apologist claptrap designed to keep Larry off the hook for absolutely blowing it with the development and retainment of the biggest in-state recruit he's signed during his tenure. You know who else all this bullshit applies to that you just described? 75 percent of the BYU football team. I don't see a huge rush of them transferring to Weber State.

Hell, Dakari Tucker was a baby daddy before arriving at Utah -- and he's from SoCal. Didn't stop him.

This might be the absolute weakest defense of a transfer I've ever seen. This is a really bad look for the program.

You can only develop players if they will hit the weights to develop their body
or stay in gym & practice their shot if it is too flat
or work on their right hand if they can't dribble or finish with it.

Jordan Loveridge was just the opposite. He made himself better.

I agree the baby & family is a smokescreen---but coaches can only do so much to develop/make a player better.

LA Ute
05-07-2016, 06:24 PM
You can only develop players if they will hit the weights to develop their body
or stay in gym & practice their shot if it is too flat
or work on their right hand if they can't dribble or finish with it.

Jordan Loveridge was just the opposite. He made himself better.

I agree the baby & family is a smokescreen---but coaches can only do so much to develop/make a player better.

I didn't want to criticize BK, but you've said what I was thinking. Larry was unhappy with Brekkott even prior to the young man enrolling in school because of his reluctance to hit the weights. SoCal, my post was simply supporting the idea that the baby was a factor in Brekott's decision. I'm not defending or attacking LK over this. I don't have enough information to do either, and neither do you.

justaute
05-07-2016, 06:50 PM
Chapman's transfer aside, we still have had a bunch leave. Now, candidly, they just have not performed and are not P12-level players. As Coach Whit said -- just paraphrasing here -- it's always on the coaches; if the players don't live up, the coaches either didn't recruit right or didn't coach right. Of course, nobody should expect 100% recruiting/coaching. Still, we've had a crap load of transfers.

Is it because of the name "Utah"? Is it because of LK and the coaching staff? Combination. I dunno. Proof is always in the pudding. We'll see what happens to 2016-17.

UTEopia
05-07-2016, 06:52 PM
Sorry LA, but this is apologist claptrap designed to keep Larry off the hook for absolutely blowing it with the development and retainment of the biggest in-state recruit he's signed during his tenure.

This is a really bad look for the program.

Does this look bad for the program? Yes.

However, unless you know everything that has gone on behind the scenes between the coaches and Chapman, I don't think you can say that LK blew it in terms of developing and retaining Chapman. I don't know enough to make a judgment either. Sometimes players and coaches click and sometimes they do not. Sometimes coaches have a style that some players do not respond to and sometimes players are not willing to put in the time required to improve. I think we can agree that Chapman did not develop like many of hoped and expected. Was it his fault? Was it the coaches fault? Was it a combination of other things, grandfather passing, baby, any number of things? We don't know.

I do wish that schools could not limit the places where players can transfer and receive a scholarship. It is a bad rule? Yes. Without the rule, would the practice of poaching become greater? Maybe, but there are other punishments that can be extended against the program to deal with those situations.

U-Ute
05-08-2016, 07:59 AM
I believe you, but I don't really understand how. Does Weber have better child care options for athletes?

Probably wants to be closer to family to help care for the baby? Like when he is on the road playing games? I can see that.

LA Ute
05-08-2016, 09:29 AM
Probably wants to be closer to family to help care for the baby? Like when he is on the road playing games? I can see that.

He is living with his grandmother in Roy. There's the childcare. People who know her say she's a great person.

Rocker Ute
05-08-2016, 09:48 AM
All I can speculate on is what I saw on the floor with BK, and two years into the program he still looked lost on the floor and he still had a high school senior body.

Somehow players around him picked up the system and moved on from rookie mistakes and built some mass. This tells me that Brekkott had something to do with his own development as well.

A person I know who is well connected in high school sports predicted this much with him when he first joined the Utes. He noted he had a ton of upside but worried about his ability to do what it takes at this level. This person has been right a few times in the past as well (he was incredulous when we picked up Jace Tavita back in the day.)

Either way, I don't know what happened. Larry will have to produce some results or show he has brought in new players equal to or better than what we lost, while also getting them up to speed on the system. I wouldn't want his job, particularly with our fanbase, right now.

Old Standing ute
05-08-2016, 11:08 AM
From the outside it looks like:
Brekkott sees Jalen Moore at USU & thinks he can play that role. He doesn't like the physical demands that Larry K makes & he dislikes confrontation-so instead of telling Larry that he wants out for those reasons---he says he wants to be closer to home--but really he wants to go to USU(?)
Larry K. sides with Collette who wanted to play for him enough that he paid his own way--plus he probably does not love Duryea for implying he tampered with Collette, so no way he releases to USU. Instead he plays along with Brekkott & releases him to Weber.

Larry K is a no bull-shit kind of person, but he also is no dummy. It must really irritate him that Brekkott has more physical gifts that he did as a player, yet does not have the same heart & drive. But he is not the one who started this closer to family story that he is now getting blamed for----

should be an interesting season.

SeattleUte
05-08-2016, 08:00 PM
This doesn't matter. I was hoping to see Brekkot matter, but now we see it wasn't to be. Majerus didn't lose a transfer who mattered until Mark Jackson--when the wheels were coming off for Majerus personally. Kodiak still hasn't lost one who mattered. (This isn't at all like Boylen losing to transfer every key returning player .)

It hurts in a way to lose a player--or, more accurately watch a player bust--who purportedly had so much promise. But that's because Utah gets so few of them. So many players with Chapman's potential don't work out. ESPN 100s by the dozens go through so many programs like shit through a goose with nothing to show for it. Two of them I follow are Georgetown and Washington. Georgetown has maybe nine ESPN 100s, and had a losing season. UW has maybe a half dozen. it did not get an NCAA invitation.

Look on the bright side. We never expected Kumza to be so good. You win some you lose some.

Good luck, Brekkot.

SeattleUte
05-09-2016, 07:45 AM
The bad news for us, though, is that he's better than our next option at the SF.

Who knows? I think we agree there's a huge crap shoot element at the tier that Utah recruits. This is why we have to tolerate a lot of transfer turnover.

U-Ute
05-09-2016, 08:55 AM
Somehow players around him picked up the system and moved on from rookie mistakes and built some mass. This tells me that Brekkott had something to do with his own development as well.

I agree. For each "failed to develop" player like Chapman and IWright, there seems to be two or three guys like Washburn, Poeltl, and Kuzma that did develop. At some point you have to put some onus on the player to put the work in.

concerned
05-09-2016, 03:10 PM
Lew Evans is going to Tennessee? Dying to know the story there.

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/story/1668723-lew-evans-commits-tennessee?preview=true

Mormon Red Death
05-09-2016, 04:20 PM
Lew Evans is going to Tennessee? Dying to know the story there.

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/story/1668723-lew-evans-commits-tennessee?preview=true
If only there was someone on the board who connected to the family.

concerned
05-09-2016, 04:37 PM
If only there was someone on the board who connected to the family.

You are his uncle, no? I fished for Two Utes but haven't reeled him in yet.

Mormon Red Death
05-09-2016, 04:43 PM
You are his uncle, no? I fished for Two Utes but haven't reeled him in yet.
Yes I am but it's not my story to tell

U-Ute
05-10-2016, 12:48 PM
Tim Coleman signs

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160510/6e4798b17168f98827d93384eca02e46.jpg

SoCalPat
05-11-2016, 09:37 AM
I disagree. Schools should be able to restrict a player from transferring to any school on a future schedule. We just spent a ton of time and money teaching Chapman how to play basketball. We shouldn't have to play against him.

I think this should be an NCAA rule, so coaches wouldn't have to get blasted by the self-righteous media for putting completely reasonable restrictions on a transfer.

This is hypocritically hollow unless you're willing to apply the same to coaches. I'm betting no one here wanted to tell Gary Anderson he couldn't go to Utah State, or Kalani Sitake to Oregon State.

SoCalPat
05-11-2016, 09:43 AM
I didn't want to criticize BK, but you've said what I was thinking. Larry was unhappy with Brekkott even prior to the young man enrolling in school because of his reluctance to hit the weights. SoCal, my post was simply supporting the idea that the baby was a factor in Brekott's decision. I'm not defending or attacking LK over this. I don't have enough information to do either, and neither do you.

BK is fair criticism. I think his suspension in his senior year said something about his dedication and discipline. At the same time, like has been said, we get so few ESPN 100 players in the program that it's a bad look for Larry when they don't pan out. Sure, we've struck gold elsewhere, but every coach will tell you recruiting is the lifeblood of any hoops program. It stings more than a bit that this one didn't work out, but by no means is Larry's goodwill tank being drained or in short supply because of it. He does share some blame in BK's development, or lack thereof. BK shoulders more, ultimately.

LA Ute
05-11-2016, 11:09 AM
BK is fair criticism. I think his suspension in his senior year said something about his dedication and discipline. At the same time, like has been said, we get so few ESPN 100 players in the program that it's a bad look for Larry when they don't pan out. Sure, we've struck gold elsewhere, but every coach will tell you recruiting is the lifeblood of any hoops program. It stings more than a bit that this one didn't work out, but by no means is Larry's goodwill tank being drained or in short supply because of it. He does share some blame in BK's development, or lack thereof. BK shoulders more, ultimately.

Yeah, I remember how excited I was (and everyone was) when Brekkott chose the U. When we hire people at my firm with glowing resumes and obvious talent, sometimes they don't work out. I always consider that a failure on both the firm's and the individual's part. Same thing with Brekkott and Larry.

SeattleUte
05-11-2016, 11:34 AM
Watching former two-star recruits Stephan Curry and Damian Lillard in the NBA playoffs gives me hope for the Utes notwithstanding the steep recruiting disadvantages.

snafu
05-11-2016, 11:54 AM
Remember Ashante Johnson? He transferred from Utah and ended up at Kansas where he played sparingly for the rest of his college career. He are some of his comments several years after finishing college:

"Johnson speaks of those years less with bitterness than with regret, saying, for example, that he wishes he'd stayed at Utah. At the time, being a Ute reserve seemed a less certain ticket to the next level than putting up showy stats at a junior college. He now believes Coach Majerus' knack for developing pro*caliber talent would have made him a more complete player earlier in his career, *better on defense, more of a team player. (He also missed out on the Utes' run to the NCAA final the season after he left. Watching the game on TV, he says with a rueful smile, "I was sick to my stomach.")

I really hope Brekkott doesn't end up with these same regrets. He had a golden opportunity staring right at him. Correct me if I am wrong but with JLove graduating, the 3 spot is wide open for the taking. With some hard work and dedication, he could have been a perfect fit there.

SoCalPat
05-11-2016, 12:35 PM
Remember Ashante Johnson? He transferred from Utah and ended up at Kansas where he played sparingly for the rest of his college career. He are some of his comments several years after finishing college:

"Johnson speaks of those years less with bitterness than with regret, saying, for example, that he wishes he'd stayed at Utah. At the time, being a Ute reserve seemed a less certain ticket to the next level than putting up showy stats at a junior college. He now believes Coach Majerus' knack for developing pro*caliber talent would have made him a more complete player earlier in his career, *better on defense, more of a team player. (He also missed out on the Utes' run to the NCAA final the season after he left. Watching the game on TV, he says with a rueful smile, "I was sick to my stomach.")

I really hope Brekkott doesn't end up with these same regrets. He had a golden opportunity staring right at him. Correct me if I am wrong but with JLove graduating, the 3 spot is wide open for the taking. With some hard work and dedication, he could have been a perfect fit there.

That's exactly who I thought of as a rebuttal to SU's claims that Majerus never lost a recruit of consequence. But yeah, he never really did much at Kansas -- although he appeared to have a nice career in Europe. Can you provide a link to the story you lifted the quote from?

snafu
05-11-2016, 03:09 PM
Socal, I pulled it from this article:

http://sdcitybeat.com/print-article-1500-permanent.html

FountainOfUte
05-23-2016, 10:10 AM
I'm hearing from a co-worker who is a Xavier alum that Utah is working on a H&H with the Musketeers starting next year. FWIW. Guess we'll see. But that would be a fun matchup.

311ute
05-23-2016, 04:26 PM
I'm hearing from a co-worker who is a Xavier alum that Utah is working on a H&H with the Musketeers starting next year. FWIW. Guess we'll see. But that would be a fun matchup.

This would be fantastic, especially if we get them here first. They'll start the year as a top-10 team, maybe even top-5.

snafu
05-24-2016, 04:57 PM
I was just reading through some of the announced changes by the PAC-12 conference. Schools are now going to be fined for instances of rushing the field or storming the court. How do you guys feel about this? Seems like something needed to be done about it. Not sure how schools will implement this though.

LA Ute
05-24-2016, 05:05 PM
I was just reading through some of the announced changes by the PAC-12 conference. Schools are now going to be fined for instances of rushing the field or storming the court. How do you guys feel about this? Seems like something needed to be done about it. Not sure how schools will implement this though.

I think you just make it clear that storming the field/court is verboten, and you spend some money on law enforcement people to ring the field or court at the end of games.

I wonder what the definition of "storming" is? I went out on the RES field and wandered around after the USC game (and BYU 2008), celebrating, taking photos, chatting with people. Was I storming the field? I pretty much took my time getting out there with my wife and kids. If "storming" covers that, I'll be sad.

NorthwestUteFan
05-24-2016, 09:25 PM
Hopefully they are talking about storming the fields during the game, and not walking on the field after the game.

sancho
05-24-2016, 10:04 PM

Yeah! Congrats on making college sports less fun, Pac-12!

Dwight Schr-Ute
05-24-2016, 11:27 PM
It looks like Mawien is headed to New Mexico Junior College.

UtahsMrSports
05-25-2016, 07:39 AM
It looks like Mawien is headed to New Mexico Junior College.

Hopefully he gets all the playing time he needs to develop.

With that, Brekkott is the only transfer who has yet to sign. More relevant to us, we are just waiting for official word on ogbe and we'll have our roster set,

U-Ute
05-25-2016, 09:45 AM
Ugh. Both Brooks and Dorsey have withdrawn from the draft and will return to Oregon.

Applejack
05-25-2016, 09:50 AM
Ugh. Both Brooks and Dorsey have withdrawn from the draft and will return to Oregon.

WHA?! Someone email Peoltl and tell him that his stock is tanking.

SoCalPat
05-26-2016, 09:08 AM
Xavier on the schedule, with the home game coming in 2017-18 season.

Gutty move by Larry in scheduling and I like it. Not the kind of game coaches like to schedule with the production Utah has lost this year, but the kind of game you need to have with this kind of team. This is a near-certain loss, and one that could be ugly. Xavier is loaded and should be a preseason top 10 team.

concerned
05-26-2016, 09:13 AM

Gutty move by Larry in scheduling and I like it. Not the kind of game coaches like to schedule with the production Utah has lost this year, but the kind of game you need to have with this kind of team. This is a near-certain loss, and one that could be ugly. Xavier is loaded and should be a preseason top 10 team.

Yep. Next year is a rebuilding year anyway, so the loss doesn't matter that much, with the opportunity for a preseason win the following year when it could mean something.

Dwight Schr-Ute
05-26-2016, 09:15 AM

Doesn't sound very safe. (How many times is this joke going to be made?)

Scorcho
05-26-2016, 10:04 AM

Replacement for the BYU game (same date as the game in Provo). Larry said they were working on getting a quality replacement, that they did.

Diehard Ute
05-26-2016, 10:14 AM
And now a home and home with Butler. Butler comes to the JMHC November 28th, at Butler in 17-18

DrumNFeather
05-26-2016, 10:25 AM
And now a home and home with Butler. Butler comes to the JMHC November 28th, at Butler in 17-18

They were talking with Marquette a while back as well. I wonder if that will materialize.

LA Ute
05-26-2016, 10:43 AM

Here's the article:

http://www.sltrib.com/home/3936545-155/utah-mens-basketball-utes-butler-to

UBlender
05-26-2016, 12:36 PM
They were talking with Marquette a while back as well. I wonder if that will materialize.

No, the Marquette series fell through.

UtahsMrSports
05-26-2016, 02:25 PM
BYU back on the schedule............but not until next year plus more about our non conference schedule.........

http://www.utahutes.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/052616aab.html

LA Ute
05-26-2016, 02:26 PM
BYU back on the schedule............but not until next year plus more about our non conference schedule.........

Maybe Nick Emery will have grown up by then.

Applejack
05-26-2016, 02:36 PM

So this stupid cancellation only cost us next year? Good news.

Scorcho
05-26-2016, 02:36 PM

does this mean we are allowed back on the Cougar/ute forum :)

concerned
05-26-2016, 02:37 PM
I suspect we caved to prevent things from getting uglier with the legislature. It was not pretty up there this session. It was difficult.

Rocker Ute
05-26-2016, 02:47 PM

Uhg... So whatever your opinion on the cancellation, at this point to put them back on the schedule so soon make it seem even more silly and we can't even claim 'player safety' as a reason behind it. It is likely because of legislative pressures, but still. The U looks pretty silly in all of this.

Applejack
05-26-2016, 02:54 PM
Uhg... So whatever your opinion on the cancellation, at this point to put them back on the schedule so soon make it seem even more silly and we can't even claim 'player safety' as a reason behind it. It is likely because of legislative pressures, but still. The U looks pretty silly in all of this.

Didn't we look that way anyway? Look, this was a stupid decision in the first place and never should have been greenlighted by Hill. But, it only cost us one rivalry game, so there's that. #tendermercies

Scorcho
05-26-2016, 03:16 PM
Didn't we look that way anyway? Look, this was a stupid decision in the first place and never should have been greenlighted by Hill. But, it only cost us one rivalry game, so there's that. #tendermercies

Hard to disagree with this, it sure looks like Utah back peddaled

sancho
05-26-2016, 03:27 PM

Well, we learned a few things, so that's good:

We learned that Larry was genuinely troubled at being angry enough at Nick Emery to almost kill the puke in front of 15,000 fans. That conscience is a good thing.

We learned that Dave Rose is a grade A dirtbag. That's good because prior to all this, Utah fans didn't hate him enough. (We already knew about Holmoe.)

We learned - again - that the media will get their way on Utah/BYU. Don't pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel.

We learned - again - that Utah's representatives of the people don't care a lick about the people's institutions of higher learning.

Finally, we learned just how badly BYU needs us. Isn't it nice to feel needed?

Scratch
05-26-2016, 03:44 PM
The good thing is that Hill probably knew what would ultimately happen, but he had Larry's back enough to give him lots of support until he apparently had no choice but to give in. At least Larry knows he has support internally, even if he has no support from the legislature.

concerned
05-26-2016, 03:53 PM
The good thing is that Hill probably knew what would ultimately happen, but he had Larry's back enough to give him lots of support until he apparently had no choice but to give in. At least Larry knows he has support internally, even if he has no support from the legislature.

Im not sure how much support he has internally, from Pershing anyway.

UtahsMrSports
05-26-2016, 03:57 PM

Well, since you have driven poor Utah off of this board, let me be the one to take up the mantle of homer.

I think that while other factors like legislative pressure came in to play here, I take Larry at his word. He wanted a cooling off period, and he got one. I always thought it would be a one year break (though I hoped it would be longer.........)

concerned
05-26-2016, 04:01 PM
Well, since you have driven poor Utah off of this board, let me be the one to take up the mantle of homer.

I think that while other factors like legislative pressure came in to play here, I take Larry at his word. He wanted a cooling off period, and he got one. I always thought it would be a one year break (though I hoped it would be longer.........)

Almost immediately after it happened, Utah lobbyists, Deans, and administrators were telling legislators and others that the game would get rescheduled ASAP. They were in damage control from the get go.

UtahsMrSports
05-26-2016, 04:02 PM
Almost immediately after it happened, Utah lobbyists, Deans, and administrators were telling legislators and others that the game would get rescheduled ASAP. They were in damage control from the get go.

This I did not know.

Applejack
05-26-2016, 04:02 PM

You are a terrible substitute for Utah! There should be something in there about how we have three of the best offensive linemen ever in the Pac-12!

I fear that I'll never understand some (most?) Ute fans desire to never play BYU again. I get that hurting BYU helps Utah; but I don't get the belief that one game with Utah has any long-term effects on either program. I think that beating them (five times in a row, baby!) would be a much more effective way of hurting the Y. It seems like spiting your face in order to ....... however that saying goes.

Rocker Ute
05-26-2016, 04:26 PM
You are a terrible substitute for Utah! There should be something in there about how we have three of the best offensive linemen ever in the Pac-12!

I fear that I'll never understand some (most?) Ute fans desire to never play BYU again. I get that hurting BYU helps Utah; but I don't get the belief that one game with Utah has any long-term effects on either program. I think that beating them (five times in a row, baby!) would be a much more effective way of hurting the Y. It seems like spiting your face in order to ....... however that saying goes.

Cutting off our nose to spite our face is definitely what we've done. The 'cooling down' period has had the opposite effect in my opinion. Hate for Kodiak is at epic proportions among BYU fans these days. I'm getting the impression that Pershing is a wet noodle of sorts, and unfortunately when the decision was made even those internally who disagreed with it needed to be strong and not apologetic on it.

As for not ever playing BYU again, I am probably one of those in that camp. I don't really care if BYU succeeds or not and I don't view us playing them having a correlation directly with that, I just like that whole situation out of my life. I don't like the games, I don't like the build up, I don't like how it turns neighbors and friends into lunatics and as much as I want to pretend it doesn't represent my faith, every time BYU shows up in the news in a negative light it reflects on me or something I care about. I don't get how BYU athletics supports the stated mission of the LDS church or the school any more than I got how sisters in my mission baking cookies for members helped missionary work either, despite them loudly proclaiming it did.

But I'm kind of a curmudgeon that way.

Scratch
05-26-2016, 04:31 PM
Im not sure how much support he has internally, from Pershing anyway.

Yeah, I was taking a very limited view of internal (the athletic department).

LA Ute
05-26-2016, 05:41 PM
CCAF Members!

Thank you for your continued support of your student-athletes! Below is some exciting news that was released this afternoon. Without your generous contributions, games like these wouldn't be possible!

Thank U again for your support and GO UTES!

Men's Basketball Schedules Games with Butler, Xavier and BYU
Utes to face Bulldogs and Musketeers in pair of home-and-home contests over next two seasons.

May 26, 2016

SALT LAKE CITY - The Utah men's basketball team has picked up two primetime opponents for next season, playing Butler on Nov. 28, 2016, in Salt Lake City and Xavier in Cincinnati on Dec. 10. In addition, athletics director Chris Hill announced today that the Utes will play BYU in Provo in 2017.

"(BYU athletics director) Tom Holmoe and I have agreed to a game in Provo in November or December of 2017," said Hill. "We are in the process of formulating plans for the future with BYU. We are also looking at future match-ups with other in-state schools."

Along with Butler, Utah's non-conference home schedule for the upcoming season includes instate foe Utah Valley, Corcordia, Coppin State, UC-Riverside and Montana State. Xavier is one of two non-conference road trips for the Utes, who will also play in the Diamond Head Classic in Honolulu over the Christmas Holiday.

Utah will face both Butler and Xavier in a home-and-home series exchange. After hosting Butler this season, the Utes will face the Bulldogs in Indianapolis, Ind., next season. The Utes will make the trip to Cincinnati to face the Musketeers this coming season before turning around to host Xavier at the Huntsman Center in 2017.

The Utes will face the Bulldogs for just the third time in school history. Utah is 1-1 all-time against Butler having won its only meeting with the Bulldogs, 95-66, in Salt Lake City back in 1964. Utah fell to Butler the last time out, 74-62, in the opening round of the Diamond Head Classic in Honolulu, Hawaii, back on Dec. 22, 2010.

This will mark the first-ever meeting for the Utes against Xavier.

"Adding both Butler and Xavier to our 2016-17 schedule gives us an opportunity to play some elite programs in non-conference play," said men's head basketball coach Larry Krystkowiak. "Both Butler and Xavier were NCAA Tournament teams last season and they will give us a great test before starting Pac-12 play a few weeks later in the season.

"In addition, the home contest against Butler will be one of our two cancer awareness games next season," Krystkowiak added. "We will partner with both the Huntsman Cancer Institute and the University of Butler in support of this cause."

Butler went 22-11 overall in 2015-16 and finished tied for fourth-place in the Big East with a record of 10-8. The Bulldogs earned a No. 9 seed in the NCAA Tournament and went on to upset No. 8-seeded Texas Tech in the First Round. Butler's season came to an end in the Second Round with a loss to top-seeded Virginia.

Xavier notched a 35-5 overall record last season and finished second overall in the Big East with a mark of 14-4 in league play. The Musketeers earned a No. 2 seed in NCAA Tournament and defeated Weber State in the opening round. Xavier was later upset, falling in the Second Round to Wisconsin.

The Utes finished the 2015-16 campaign 27-9 overall and notched a second-place finish in the Pac-12 with a record of 13-5. Utah, who earned the No. 3 seed in the Midwest Region last season, has made back-to-back NCAA Tournament appearances.

Dwight Schr-Ute
05-26-2016, 07:58 PM
Then there's this. I guess someone was feeling left out.

https://twitter.com/scottyg1280/status/736010017267056640

sancho
05-26-2016, 08:02 PM
Then there's this. I guess someone was feeling left out.

https://twitter.com/scottyg1280/status/736010017267056640

Yes please. Utah, Provo, USU, and Weber. Sometimes, I see people try to add SUU/Westminny, but I prefer just the four teams.

Dwight Schr-Ute
05-26-2016, 08:55 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160527/84436edef21924fbd892dee10d2eb799.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160527/6ce53afc53b24d7263dcd97c77bc8a10.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160527/c47ab512cf06ec93ed8a8d93001fb76b.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160527/9ea16fc89d81df0cd04b8196d33e9e0b.jpg

sancho
05-26-2016, 09:07 PM
I think someone told me that they won't do a tournament because then teams wouldn't be able to participate in other preseason tournaments (Maui, Puerto Rico, etc). I don't know the rules well enough to know, though.

SoCalPat
05-26-2016, 09:44 PM
I think someone told me that they won't do a tournament because then teams wouldn't be able to participate in other preseason tournaments (Maui, Puerto Rico, etc). I don't know the rules well enough to know, though.

That sounds right. And no way does any team give up an exempt tournament in a warm locale (a huge recruiting tool) to play in this tournament. If it happens, it'll be a one-off game, rotating amongst the schools participating.

UtahsMrSports
05-27-2016, 06:58 AM
So, lets assume that this gets done.....

Do we schedule BYU at all outside of this? I hope not. I would think wed play this game, and most years have suu or uvu up for a game, maybe dixie st in an exhibition, and call it a day with regards to in state games.

Playing byu once every three years in what would likely be a 50/50 arena would be fine with me, its certainly not the victory the media are claiming theyve achieved.

sancho
05-27-2016, 08:02 AM
So, lets assume that this gets done.....

Do we schedule BYU at all outside of this? I hope not. I would think wed play this game, and most years have suu or uvu up for a game, maybe dixie st in an exhibition, and call it a day with regards to in state games.

Playing byu once every three years in what would likely be a 50/50 arena would be fine with me, its certainly not the victory the media are claiming theyve achieved.

My guess is we would see a home, away, neutral cycle with them.

UtahsMrSports
05-27-2016, 08:42 AM

You are probably right, though I hope not.

SoCalPat
05-27-2016, 08:59 AM

Neither side would ever agree to this. Once every three years, you're going to take one of your best non-conference games and completely neuter it's effects on your RPI and postseason resume by putting it on a neutral floor?

I believe Utah-BYU will be played annually going forward, but let's not pretend both sides aren't interested in saving some face here.

Old Standing ute
05-28-2016, 12:32 PM
Time for withdrawing name from draft has past; so those leaving include:

Chriss from Washington--who I thought was really good; & Dejounte Murray from Washington who was a FR PG;

Julian Jacobs & Nikola Jovanovic from USC

and no surprise Jaylen Brown from Cal--rated in top 5 players in the draft.

Sabonis also is gone to the pros.

sancho
05-28-2016, 10:22 PM
Time for withdrawing name from draft has past; so those leaving include:

Chriss from Washington--who I thought was really good; & Dejounte Murray from Washington who was a FR PG;

Julian Jacobs & Nikola Jovanovic from USC

and no surprise Jaylen Brown from Cal--rated in top 5 players in the draft.

Sabonis also is gone to the pros.

That guy from Stanford is leaving too.

Dwight Schr-Ute
05-31-2016, 12:23 PM
Lorenzo Bonham headed to Australia this summer as part of the Pac-12 all stars.

NorthwestUteFan
05-31-2016, 02:11 PM
Good for Lorenzo. That will be a fun trip.

He really is a good kid from all accounts. I look forward to great things from him this year.

snafu
05-31-2016, 04:20 PM
Great for Lorenzo but no Kuzma? Looks like Mike Montgomery is coaching this group.

sancho
05-31-2016, 07:32 PM
They say Matthews is transferring from cal. Good news for us.

Old Standing ute
06-01-2016, 11:32 AM
Great for Lorenzo but no Kuzma? Looks like Mike Montgomery is coaching this group.

The Trib tried to answer your question today---headline on front page of sports section: "Going to Australia"--with a picture of Kuzma. LOL.

(the article & inside picture are all Bonam).

Dwight Schr-Ute
06-01-2016, 11:55 AM
The Trib tried to answer your question today---headline on front page of sports section: "Going to Australia"--with a picture of Kuzma. LOL.

(the article & inside picture are all Bonam).

Under new management!

Scratch
06-08-2016, 11:46 AM
For what it's worth, no contract has been signed yet for the 2017 BYU game.

concerned
06-08-2016, 11:54 AM
For what it's worth, no contract has been signed yet for the 2017 BYU game.

probably haggling over the buyout amount.

LA Ute
06-08-2016, 04:33 PM

Maybe they'll add a good conduct clause. If a BYU player is called for a flagrant 1 we get the entire gate. A flagrant 2 means the series is cancelled until the guilty BYU player graduates.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
06-08-2016, 07:06 PM

You have to admit it would be funny if after the game next year BYU just bought out the 17 game in SLC.

Applejack
06-09-2016, 07:49 AM
You have to admit it would be funny if after the game next year BYU just bought out the 17 game in SLC.

LOL. Citing player safety as the reason.

UtahsMrSports
06-10-2016, 12:35 PM
https://twitter.com/Runnin_Utes/status/741330770900463620

Anyone care to play "How many Runnin Utes can you name?"

I apologize that I am unsure on how to post tweets straight to the board, rather than a link.

UtahsMrSports
06-10-2016, 12:37 PM
Oh, and Harold Baruti has decommitted. Folks on the twitter machine called it a joint decision, so whatever.

UtahsMrSports
06-10-2016, 01:12 PM
Goon reporting that we missed an international student entry deadline...........wow..........

SoCalPat
06-10-2016, 02:14 PM
Goon reporting that we missed an international student entry deadline...........wow..........

A deadline that's imposed by the U. Not an NCAA deadline. I gotta have a true explanation of how this kind of thing works but at first glance, it looks like we screwed the pooch in a big way.