PDA

View Full Version : The state of the Utah football program

LA Ute
05-31-2016, 04:23 PM
This is a very interesting analysis of the progress of Utah and TCU as they've moved into P5 conferences. The author compares the Utes' and Horned Frogs' journeys (in football only) to the prospects of programs most often mentioned as the next ones likely to move up to P5:

http://www.fbschedules.com/2016/05/how-have-tcu-utah-fared-since-moving-power-conferences/

It's interesting to see how well we've actually done.

"It's men in shorts." -- Rick Majerus

FountainOfUte
06-03-2016, 06:22 PM
Regarding our transition to the P5 level, it's often mentioned that we had two losing seasons before we figured things out. Now, especially when you compare to TCU with semi-similar struggles early on, it's easy to say "Welp, it takes a couple years for a G5 to adjust."

Yet, watching up close (closer than some national sports writer) it seemed like our losing seasons weren't as much about "week in/week out" and depth as the fact that we sincerely lacked a QB and an offensive identity. We were below average (arguably below G5 average) in those categories coming into the PAC. I can't help but wonder if we would have hit the ground running a little faster if we had one or two positions (QB and OC) buttoned down rather than saying we simply needed better talent from players 23 through 85 -- which I'm not saying was not also true, but perhaps overstated.

It's a bunch of "ifs and buts/candy, nuts" stuff, but I feel like we were better set up to succeed from day one than it appears. We simply bumbled in a couple VERY key areas.

LA Ute
06-15-2016, 03:00 PM
This can't hurt our recruiting:

16 for '16: CFB Coaches who are best at developing NFL talentKyle ranks 16th:

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000669150?campaign=tw-cf-sf28758747-sf28758747

U-Ute
06-15-2016, 05:31 PM
According to my TimeHop app, yesterday was the 6th anniversary of Merry PAC-mas

LA Ute
06-23-2016, 06:37 PM
Travis is going to play Aussie football:

https://aussiefaithful.com/utah-utes-quarterback-travis-wilson-joins-north-coast-heat/?utm_content=bufferd2dfe&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Good for him.

NorthwestUteFan
06-23-2016, 08:47 PM
Good for Travis. He probably is not an NFL player, but he is a tremendous athlete. He will be a beast downundah.

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-13-2016, 08:47 AM
Utah and Under Armour extend their relationship another ten years for a respectable $65M.

Utah will receive $6.5 million each year from Under Armour. The university said the details of the contract are broken down as follows: $11.6 million in rights fees, $48 million of product allowance, $1.5 million contribution to Utah’s scholarship fund, $3.9 million through marketing, sponsorship and licensing opportunities, and an opportunity for upwards $2 million a year in performance bonuses.

http://www.utahutes.com/news/2016/10/12/general-utah-athletics-and-under-armour-sign-extension.aspx

mpfunk
10-13-2016, 08:56 AM
You take who gives you the most money. It is too bad that Nike wasn't who offered us the most money.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Diehard Ute
10-13-2016, 09:19 AM
You take who gives you the most money. It is too bad that Nike wasn't who offered us the most money.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Nike treated the U like crap

The last few Nike shoes I bought fell apart fast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrisrenrut
10-13-2016, 09:37 AM
Nike treated the U like crap

The last few Nike shoes I bought fell apart fast

I tend to like Nike design better, but I agree with Diehard, their quality is not good. I have not used Nike shoes for years (basketball or running) because they fell apart or failed much more quickly than Adidas or UA (basketball), or Brooks or Saucony (running).

UA has made some big strides lately in their apparel. They used to be so limited, but they seem to be offering a bigger variety of styles lately.

mpfunk
10-13-2016, 09:55 AM
I have no comment on the quality of Nike vs. UA. I like Nike design better. Also, what I like doesn't matter. What matters is what recruits/players like the most and that is in most instances going to be Nike.

Diehard Ute
10-13-2016, 10:28 AM
I have no comment on the quality of Nike vs. UA. I like Nike design better. Also, what I like doesn't matter. What matters is what recruits/players like the most and that is in most instances going to be Nike.

UA is making big strides there.

You really need to look no further than UCLA and Cal switching to UA.

Now I'm sure the deal with Nike would be better now, but our last deal with Nike we basically got a discount, but the U actually paid for everything.

Brian
10-13-2016, 10:44 AM
Utah and Under Armour extend their relationship another ten years for a respectable $65M.

http://www.utahutes.com/news/2016/10/12/general-utah-athletics-and-under-armour-sign-extension.aspx

what was the $$ before?

Diehard Ute
10-13-2016, 11:42 AM
what was the $$ before?

The old deal gave us about $1.8M a year in product and $6,000 cash

New deal is $4.8M in product and $1.16M in cash a year. (With more in marketing and from bonuses)