PDA

View Full Version : This or That, 2016 edition.

UtahsMrSports
08-16-2016, 09:10 AM
Some folks who have been here for a while might remember this from previous years. Well, its back and now more politically correct than ever (prior editions were known as him or him). If you are new or don't remember, this is how it works............

I'll start off at the bottom of this message with two figures in utah sports history. The first person to respond picks between them and then gives two more names/teams/inanimate objects for the next poster to pick between. No wrong answers. Debate is welcome. The more creative the better.

To start us off........

Bill Riley or Mike Lagashulte?

LA Ute
08-16-2016, 10:23 AM
Some folks who have been here for a while might remember this from previous years. Well, its back and now more politically correct than ever (prior editions were known as him or him). If you are new or don't remember, this is how it works............

I'll start off at the bottom of this message with two figures in utah sports history. The first person to respond picks between them and then gives two more names/teams/inanimate objects for the next poster to pick between. No wrong answers. Debate is welcome. The more creative the better.

To start us off........

Bill Riley or Mike Lagashulte?

Bill Riley.

Rice-Eccles Stadium or the Huntsman Center?

UtahsMrSports
08-16-2016, 11:54 AM
Both are two of my favorite places, but ill say Huntsman since it was the site of my favorite moment in ute sports that i witnessed. (Jason Washburn's final home game, beating a ranked oregon team comfortably and watching him celebrate with fans for what seemed like an hour after the game.)

Dave or Joe Kruger?

Scratch
08-16-2016, 12:02 PM
Both are two of my favorite places, but ill say Huntsman since it was the site of my favorite moment in ute sports that i witnessed. (Jason Washburn's final home game, beating a ranked oregon team comfortably and watching him celebrate with fans for what seemed like an hour after the game.)

Dave or Joe Kruger?

Dave, for playing for the Utes as a senior.

Orson Spencer Hall or the Social & Behavioral Science Building?

Rocker Ute
08-16-2016, 12:37 PM

OSH cause it is gone.

Golf course or water fountain where the UMFA is now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SheeeeeUTE
08-16-2016, 12:38 PM
Golf course. "Ticky" Burden or "Peaches" Lassiter?

UtahsMrSports
08-16-2016, 01:35 PM
Luther Burden!

Bogut or Poeltl?

Applejack
08-16-2016, 01:55 PM

Dave or Joe Kruger?
Wait...your favorite Ute memory involves Jason Washburn?????

SoCalPat
08-16-2016, 02:10 PM
Luther Burden!

Bogut or Poeltl?

Bogut.

Kevin Dyson or Steve Smith?

LA Ute
08-16-2016, 02:13 PM
Bogut.

Kevin Dyson or Steve Smith?

Steve Smith because he rocks.

Tom Chambers or Danny Vranes?

UBlender
08-16-2016, 02:25 PM
Steve Smith because he rocks.

Tom Chambers or Danny Vranes?

Tom Chambers because he lives on in one of the most famous NBA dunks of all time.

Tim Drisdom or Marc Jackson? (This was a huge debate on utefans back in the day).

UtahsMrSports
08-16-2016, 02:28 PM
Tom Chambers because he lives on in one of the most famous NBA dunks of all time.

Tim Drisdom or Marc Jackson? (This was a huge debate on utefans back in the day).

Jackson was a better player, but im going with Drisdom because I once saw a poster at a BYU-Utah game that said "Obey the Word of Drisdom".

Misha Radojevic or Marko Kovacevic?

Scratch
08-16-2016, 02:56 PM

I know it's already been answered, but anyone over Jackson. Trent Whiting over Jackson.

Mormon Red Death
08-16-2016, 03:29 PM
I know it's already been answered, but anyone over Jackson. Trent Whiting over Jackson.
We will have to fight on this one. Mark Jackson is the most underrated utah bball player of all time.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Rocker Ute
08-16-2016, 04:25 PM
Jackson was a better player, but im going with Drisdom because I once saw a poster at a BYU-Utah game that said "Obey the Word of Drisdom".

Misha Radojevic or Marko Kovacevic?

Marko.

Jiggy Watkins or Shaky Smithson?

Mormon Red Death
08-16-2016, 04:51 PM
Shaky Smithson

Tony Harvey or Phil Dixon?

Diehard Ute
08-16-2016, 05:02 PM
Shaky Smithson

Tony Harvey or Phil Dixon?

Phil. Dude went through a plate glass window at the Union.

Georgia Dabritz or Ashley Postell?

LA Ute
08-16-2016, 05:06 PM
Phil. Dude went through a plate glass window at the Union.

Georgia Dabritz or Ashley Postell?

Ashley Postell. Won 20 All-America awards. (Wasn't that a record?)

Trace Caton or Ben Caton?

UtahsMrSports
08-16-2016, 05:23 PM
Ashley Postell. Won 20 All-America awards. (Wasn't that a record?)

Trace Caton or Ben Caton?

Trace.

If the radio guys decided to blow it up this year, would you rather listen to the byu game called by Greg wrubell and frank dolce who might beat each other up before halftime or bill Riley and mark Lyons?

HuskyFreeNorthwest
08-16-2016, 05:33 PM
Wait...your favorite Ute memory involves Jason Washburn?????

Just skimming this thread that seemed odd to me too.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
08-16-2016, 05:35 PM
Trace.

If the radio guys decided to blow it up this year, would you rather listen to the byu game called by Greg wrubell and frank dolce who might beat each other up before halftime or bill Riley and mark Lyons?

Would gouging my ears out instead be an option?

UtahsMrSports
08-16-2016, 06:59 PM
Just skimming this thread that seemed odd to me too.

*that I've witnessed in person*

Mormon Red Death
08-16-2016, 07:08 PM

Osh for the bathroom shenanigans or so I've been told

Solon
08-16-2016, 07:39 PM
We will have to fight on this one. Marc Jackson is the most underrated utah bball player of all time.

I agree. His effort against Ridnour in the 03 NCAA tournament is a great memory.
I knew Marc from the time he was a little kid - he could've been a great college football player too.

Scratch
08-16-2016, 10:01 PM
We will have to fight on this one. Mark Jackson is the most underrated utah bball player of all time.

It has nothing to do with his on-court performance.

Moose
08-17-2016, 12:03 AM
Trace.

Bill Riley and Mark Lions. Actually, I'd rather listen to that pair than Riley Dolce.

Bill Marcroft's bare ass in a bathroom, or Rick Majerus wearing just a towel and eating pizza in his hotel room?

UtahsMrSports
08-17-2016, 08:53 AM
Senioritis' formerly weekly letters to the opposing head coach or Jim Harbaugh's twitter feed?

LA Ute
08-17-2016, 09:01 AM
Senioritis' formerly weekly letters to the opposing head coach or Jim Harbaugh's twitter feed?

Senioritis in a walk.

Scott Mitchell or Alex Smith?

DrumNFeather
08-17-2016, 09:09 AM
Senioritis in a walk.

Scott Mitchell or Alex Smith?

Alex Smith!

A-Rod or Jim Harding?

LA Ute
08-17-2016, 09:39 AM
Alex Smith!

A-Rod or Jim Harding?

Jim Harding has had greater impact.

Tommy Connor or Donny Daniels?

HuskyFreeNorthwest
08-17-2016, 10:06 AM
I agree. His effort against Ridnour in the 03 NCAA tournament is a great memory.
I knew Marc from the time he was a little kid - he could've been a great college football player too.

That one still hurts. That 3 he hit under 2 minutes that somehow hit the front of the rim and bounced up and in instead of short and off still makes me sad. Plus the cheerleaders/mascot fought at halftime, what a game!

UtahsMrSports
08-17-2016, 10:59 AM
Tommy since he is still here.

Harold Lusk in '94 versus CSU or Brandon Taylor Crossover, step back 3 to seal the game versus Arizona in 2016?

Brian
08-17-2016, 11:13 AM
Jim Harding has had greater impact.

Tommy Connor or Donny Daniels?

Donny Daniels. He brought a recruit through the research lab where I was and hung out and chewed the fat with me while the recruit was talking to people.
Super nice guy, asked me all kinds of questions about what I was doing.

Field house: indoor track or racquetball game.

LA Ute
08-17-2016, 11:20 AM
Tommy since he is still here.

Harold Lusk in '94 versus CSU or Brandon Taylor Crossover, step back 3 to seal the game versus Arizona in 2016?

Brandon. Got a big monkey off our backs.

Anywhere but BYU
08-17-2016, 01:18 PM
If the Utes hadn't choked against New Mexico and Air Force, then Harold would be it hands down. But they did, so . . .

The flashing mountain U or the painted Field House roof?

UtahsMrSports
08-17-2016, 01:41 PM
For the field house, I like raquetball.

For the last question, give me the classic in mount van cott, although I do like the new painted on field house roof.

54-10 or 62-20 ?

Anywhere but BYU
08-17-2016, 02:01 PM
62-20. Not close. 54-10 was like beating your young children in games. Not really satisfying.

Jeff Jonas or Jimmy Soto? Both as broadcasters and players?

LA Ute
08-17-2016, 02:29 PM
62-20. Not close. 54-10 was like beating your young children in games. Not really satisfying.

Jeff Jonas or Jimmy Soto? Both as broadcasters and players?

Soto. Because I know him. A totally subjective view.

Seriously, one of my favorite Ute fan memories was in a basketball game against BYU. Jim got fouled with just a few seconds to go, Utah down by 1, in a one-and-one situation. He was grinning as her went to the line. He loved being in that situation. He coolly sank the first shot, then BYU called time out to ice him. He kept grinning and then made the second shot. Utah won. I love that guy.

I don't remember Jonas well enough as a broadcaster to have an opinion (he was pre-Internet so I could not listen much, living in CA).

Union Building lawn or Presidents' Circle?

Brian
08-17-2016, 05:51 PM
Soto. Because I know him. A totally subjective view.

Seriously, one of my favorite Ute fan memories was in a basketball game against BYU. Jim got fouled with just a few seconds to go, Utah down by 1, in a one-and-one situation. He was grinning as her went to the line. He loved being in that situation. He coolly sank the first shot, then BYU called time out to ice him. He kept grinning and then made the second shot. Utah won. I love that guy.

I don't remember Jonas well enough as a broadcaster to have an opinion (he was pre-Internet so I could not listen much, living in CA).

Union Building lawn or Presidents' Circle?

Union lawn: Mayfest, music, and sunning babes galore.

Steve Gomez or Lee Grosscup

UtahsMrSports
08-25-2016, 10:21 PM
Ill take a fireside given by Seattle Ute.

Jack Gardner or rick majerus?

NorthwestUteFan
08-25-2016, 10:59 PM
Ill take a fireside given by Seattle Ute.

Jack Gardner or rick majerus?
Brutal choice. On the surface there obvious choice is Rick 'The Pick' Majerus, and he may have the best chance be successful today. There was never any doubt that he was the smartest coach in the court. I would love to see what he could do with type of players we get today.

But Jack Gardner was a great coach for his time and a better job of treating the players with respect.

Rick on the other hand would have made a tremendous Twitter troll perhaps an insulting celebrity roaster on Comedy Central. He was brutal.

LA Ute
08-26-2016, 05:47 AM
Brutal choice. On the surface there obvious choice is Rick 'The Pick' Majerus, and he may have the best chance be successful today. There was never any doubt that he was the smartest coach in the court. I would love to see what he could do with type of players we get today.

But Jack Gardner was a great coach for his time and a better job of treating the players with respect.

Rick on the other hand would have made a tremendous Twitter troll perhaps an insulting celebrity roaster on Comedy Central. He was brutal.

Gardner was loyal to the U. In fairness, he coached in an era when loyalty was more common.

Lynn Archibald or Ray Giacoletti?

Diehard Ute
08-26-2016, 07:53 AM
Gardner was loyal to the U. In fairness, he coached in an era when loyalty was more common.

Yeah you can't compare loyalty across those time periods.

Archibald. It's not even close.

Andy Phillips or Louie Sakoda?

Rocker Ute
08-26-2016, 08:00 AM

Are we chiding the worst or the best of the worst?

LA Ute
08-26-2016, 08:08 AM
Are we chiding the worst or the best of the worst?

Jim Fassel or Tom Lovat?

NorthwestUteFan
08-26-2016, 09:30 AM
Jim Fassel or Tom Lovat?
Fassell. Many times between ~1995 and 2013 I wished he had been our OC. (2002/2003/2008 excepted).

Ronald Ragsdale or J.D. Williams?

Diehard Ute
08-26-2016, 09:40 AM
Pretty sure both of you broke the rules. You don't get to skip one.

NorthwestUteFan
08-26-2016, 09:46 AM

In my defense, I originally forgot to post one.

NorthwestUteFan
08-26-2016, 09:48 AM
Yeah you can't compare loyalty across those time periods.

Archibald. It's not even close.

Andy Phillips or Louie Sakoda?

Andy. Louie couldn't do kickoffs, and they is no chance we would ever see him blow up somebody on a kickoff or dive into the pile to recover an Onside Kick.

LA Ute
08-26-2016, 10:00 AM

I was responding to Rocker. Go ahead and write me a citation. I'll pay the fine.

LA Ute
08-26-2016, 10:01 AM
I was responding to Rocker. Go ahead and write me a citation. I'll pay the fine.

Ok, now: Ronald Ragsdale or J.D. Williams?

Rocker Ute
08-26-2016, 10:35 AM
Jim Fassel or Tom Lovat?

Autocorrect issuess, I mean to say are we *choosing* the worst or the best of the worse.

If it is the worst, that is Giac, if it is best of the worst, that is Archibald.

LA Ute
09-13-2016, 07:46 PM
Reggie Dunn or Errol Tucker?

Reggie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPBCPxYjgrI

Errol's in my next post. (Limit of one video per post.)

LA Ute
09-13-2016, 07:47 PM
Reggie Dunn or Errol Tucker?

Reggie: (video omitted)

Here's Errol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ichlFyaEB9k

LA Ute
09-25-2016, 06:18 AM
UTAH's 2014 win over USC, or the 2016 win?

Brian
09-29-2016, 09:40 AM
UTAH's 2014 win over USC, or the 2016 win?

Tough, but I'd take 2016. Maybe recency bias, but two long TD drives for the win was impressive.

OR

http://www.setcelebs.com/images/stevenson-sylvester-01.jpg

LA Ute
09-29-2016, 09:50 AM
Tough, but I'd take 2016. Maybe recency bias, but two long TD drives for the win was impressive.

Such an iconic shot.

A-Rod or Jim Harding?

DrumNFeather
09-29-2016, 09:54 AM
Such an iconic shot.

A-Rod or Jim Harding?

I lean towards Jim Harding. He seems to be a good recruiter and is a passionate guy about this team. The only real contribution Dave Christiansen made to this team is bringing Jim Harding. Plus, A-rod dresses like a teenager.

mUUser
09-29-2016, 09:59 AM

OR

Sylvester. That game was Utah's real coming out party......Alabama can suck it. I'm so in love with this pic that I wouldn't be against this now iconic Utah image on our helmets one week. Awesome. I also love that picture of him walking alone over to the BYU-P sideline.

Brian
09-29-2016, 10:53 AM
Sylvester. That game was Utah's real coming out party......Alabama can suck it. I'm so in love with this pic that I wouldn't be against this now iconic Utah image on our helmets one week. Awesome. I also love that picture of him walking alone over to the BYU-P sideline.

Great suggestion.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/48/64/9a/48649a23cf3477e211cbf81b5ac5eecb.jpg

OR

http://img.spokeo.com/public/900-600/stevenson_sylvester_2009_01_02.jpg

LA Ute
09-29-2016, 11:04 AM

You've upset the psychic balance of this thread by responding to a "this or that?" question that I already answered. I hope you're happy.

I lean towards Jim Harding. He seems to be a good recruiter and is a passionate guy about this team. The only real contribution Dave Christiansen made to this team is bringing Jim Harding. Plus, A-rod dresses like a teenager.

You didn't respond with a "this or that?" of your own, further upsetting the psychic balance of this thread. But I guess you save muuser, because in addition to ignoring my response, he didn't ask his own question either.

You're both on secret probation.

Great suggestion.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/48/64/9a/48649a23cf3477e211cbf81b5ac5eecb.jpg

Having restored order to the thread, I choose this photo. Rivalry-tinged!

SO....

Quinton Ganther or John White IV?

Brian
09-29-2016, 11:26 AM
You've upset the psychic balance of this thread by responding to a "this or that?" question that I already answered. I hope you're happy.

You didn't respond with a "this or that?" of your own, further upsetting the psychic balance of this thread. But I guess you save muuser, because in addition to ignoring my response, he didn't ask his own question either.

You're both on secret probation.

Having restored order to the thread, I choose this photo. Rivalry-tinged!

SO....

Quinton Ganther or John White IV?

I like the wolfman!

OR

http://a.abcnews.com/images/International/2014-June-02-GTY_Tank_Tiananmen_Square_140602_16x9_992.jpg

Applejack
09-29-2016, 12:00 PM
I like the wolfman!

OR

http://a.abcnews.com/images/International/2014-June-02-GTY_Tank_Tiananmen_Square_140602_16x9_992.jpg

One shot is the epitome of standing up to all that is evil in the world. One is just some dude in a park in china. Sylvester FTW.

Tommy Two-Time Hacket or Automatic Andrew Phillips?

Diehard Ute
09-29-2016, 12:05 PM
One shot is the epitome of standing up to all that is evil in the world. One is just some dude in a park in china. Sylvester FTW.

Tommy Two-Time Hacket or Automatic Andrew Phillips?

Tommy. Although Mitch is sure making me comfortable with our punting game post Tommy.

Lamborghini or Ferrari?

Devildog
09-30-2016, 07:12 PM
Nerds. You are all nerds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZEdDMQZaCU

LA Ute
09-30-2016, 07:51 PM
Hackett by a nose, because he has style.

Kerry Rupp or Dick Hunsaker?