PDA

View Full Version : Shooting for Six Straight: Utah vs. BYU 2016

Pages : [1] 2

LA Ute
09-03-2016, 12:10 PM
Let's get this one started. I have a harder time these days summoning up serious hatred for them, but I do enjoy beating them. Six wins in a row would be awesome.

NorthwestUteFan
09-03-2016, 12:29 PM
If they pull off the win tonight vs Arizona, and I think they could do it, then it is up to us to protect the PAC-12's good name from those evildoer's from Provo. Two weddings over PAC schools would help their recruiting efforts, likely to our disadvantage.

Utah By 5.

U-Ute
09-03-2016, 03:26 PM
Not only does one of my kids have a comp soccer game at 5:30 that night, and I drew the short straw and my wife is going to the Utah/BYU game while I be a good dad and take him to his soccer game, but now I find out that the game is on Fox, not FS1, and Dish Network has a dispute with KSTU right now and isn't carrying Fox.

Time to pull out those digital rabbit ears.

I better be getting some Celestial Points, or Good Karma, or whatever the Scientologist's E-Meter measures.

Diehard Ute
09-03-2016, 06:02 PM
Not only does one of my kids have a comp soccer game at 5:30 that night, and I drew the short straw and my wife is going to the Utah/BYU game while I be a good dad and take him to his soccer game, but now I find out that the game is on Fox, not FS1, and Dish Network has a dispute with KSTU right now and isn't carrying Fox.

Time to pull out those digital rabbit ears.

I better be getting some Celestial Points, or Good Karma, or whatever the Scientologist's E-Meter measures.

Word is that dispute has been settled and Fox will be back shortly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

U-Ute
09-03-2016, 06:33 PM
Wow. I should have complained sooner! A mere 3 hours later and it's back!

I was sure it would be back for the NFL, but wow they cut it short.

LA Ute
09-03-2016, 07:28 PM
Wow. I should have complained sooner! A mere 3 hours later and it's back!

I was sure it would be back for the NFL, but wow they cut it short.

Ute karma is powerful.

LA Ute
09-03-2016, 08:52 PM
So far the BYU offensive line is looking a lot better tonight than ours did on Thursday.

U-Ute
09-03-2016, 09:06 PM
So far the BYU offensive line is looking a lot better tonight than ours did on Thursday.

SUU's Dline may be bigger than Arizona's.

LA Ute
09-03-2016, 09:33 PM
Looks like once Hill steps out of the pocket he's running, abandons all thought of passing.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-03-2016, 10:30 PM
Looks like once Hill steps out of the pocket he's running, abandons all thought of passing.

He's become Travis Wilson. Good for slants and short throws.

LA Ute
09-03-2016, 10:32 PM
Just tuned back in at the beginning of the 2nd half. So BYU has managed just 3 FGs? It does look like their D has stuffed Arizona's run game.

chrisrenrut
09-03-2016, 10:34 PM
Just tuned back in at the beginning of the 2nd half. So BYU has managed 3
FGs?

Missed the PAT after a TD

LA Ute
09-03-2016, 10:56 PM
Last time we played BYU we put an LB spy on Hill. I wonder if we will do that again?

Brian
09-03-2016, 11:03 PM
Last time we played BYU we put an LB spy on Hill. I wonder if we will do that again?

with what little damage he's doing against a bad defense, I wonder that too.

Devildog
09-03-2016, 11:05 PM
Let's get this one started. I have a harder time these days summoning up serious hatred for them, but I do enjoy beating them. Six wins in a row would be awesome.

Well of course you struggle to summon hatred for them, you are soft.... I don't. I HATE them. I hope we hurt them painfully. So much that the rest of their season is affected. Complete hatred. If artillery was available... I would use it.

LA Ute
09-03-2016, 11:49 PM
Well of course you struggle to summon hatred for them, you are soft.... I don't. I HATE them. I hope we hurt them painfully. So much that the rest of their season is affected. Complete hatred. If artillery was available... I would use it.

I'm just old.

LA Ute
09-03-2016, 11:54 PM
BYU does love the slant pass.

LA Ute
09-04-2016, 12:02 AM
Well, there's no reason to be afraid of them after that Arizona game, but the Utes should be ready for a tough ball game next Saturday. I'm excited. I don't think Kyle has ever failed to have his team are fully prepared for the BYU game. Go Utes!

Utah
09-04-2016, 12:13 AM

I think we were watching two different games. Arizona's DL is 50 pounds lighter than SUU's. BYU's OL is terrible.

Utah
09-04-2016, 12:14 AM
If our OL improves slightly, we will destroy them...well, Whitt wouldn't bury Sitake. We will do what we always do.

Get up by 2+ scores, go totally conservative and win. But this time, we win by 10.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-04-2016, 12:29 AM
If our OL improves slightly, we will destroy them...well, Whitt wouldn't bury Sitake. We will do what we always do.

Get up by 2+ scores, go totally conservative and win. But this time, we win by 10.

And let them live another year playing "yeah, but..."

concerned
09-04-2016, 08:29 AM
After watching Arizona last night, I am confident the Colorado will escape the cellar this year.

OrangeUte
09-04-2016, 08:34 AM
Beating BYU when they are riding high brings a whole other level of satisfaction to the win for me. beating them when they are down and out is fun and all, but crushing their hopes is the best.

SeattleUte
09-04-2016, 08:51 AM
We must destroy them! Mercilessly pound them! Utterly destroy them!

LA Ute
09-04-2016, 08:51 AM
I think we were watching two different games. Arizona's DL is 50 pounds lighter than SUU's. BYU's OL is terrible.

It seemed to me that their OL was more effective against Arizona than ours was against SUU. I still think our first-game OL problems are correctable. Can't wait to see the battle at the line of scrimmage next Saturday.

Utah
09-04-2016, 09:12 AM
It seemed to me that their OL was more effective against Arizona than ours was against SUU. I still think our first-game OL problems are correctable. Can't wait to see the battle at the line of scrimmage next Saturday.

A lot, and I mean A LOT of our OL problems had to do with playing SUU.

BYU's DL is relying on Corbin Kaufusi, a kid who is 6 ft 10 inches, who just started playing college football a couple of months ago. They have a lot of problems on their defense. Arizona is not good. Neither is BYU.

We will win this game easily.

BYU's defense only played 56 plays last night. That is NOTHING. Ty runs his offense so slowly. And yet, their defense tired out by the fourth quarter. They gave up 190 yards in the fourth quarter (if I remember correctly). We will push the issue with them and run a faster paced offense and see if we can get them to 56 plays in the third quarter. Then pull away in the fourth...if it is still close.

Taysom Hill can't run anymore. All I heard all summer from BYU fans was how he's never been caught from behind...well, last night, he was caught from behind.

They don't have a big time receiving threat. Their only successes came off quick slants and bootleg TE dumps. We can play them physical and straight up man, which will take away the TE dump and slant plays. Their WR's won't get off the line of scrimmage vs us.

BYU is straight up screwed.

Oh, and here is something NO ONE is talking about:

When we played SUU, we ran out a totally DIFFERENT offense than we have run last 5 years. We showcased a couple of plays from that offense, but BYU has no idea what to prepare for. They saw no quick slants, no WR screens, no playaction, no complicated blocking schemes, no misdirection. Nothing.

We saw Ty's offense, and their offense is predicated on execution and timing. We are bigger, faster, stronger. All things that disrupt execution and timing.

We will be just fine.

Oh, and after one week, Troy Williams is the best QB in the state.

brettski
09-04-2016, 10:27 AM

That's because they haven't won in half a decade. Wait until they pull one out and you'll remember to hate 🔥

LA Ute
09-04-2016, 11:28 AM

BYU's DL is relying on Corbin Kaufusi, a kid who is 6 ft 10 inches, who just started playing college football a couple of months ago. They have a lot of problems on their defense. Arizona is not good. Neither is BYU.

BYU's defense only played 56 plays last night. That is NOTHING. Ty runs his offense so slowly. And yet, their defense tired out by the fourth quarter. They gave up 190 yards in the fourth quarter (if I remember correctly). We will push the issue with them and run a faster paced offense and see if we can get them to 56 plays in the third quarter. Then pull away in the fourth...if it is still close.

Taysom Hill can't run anymore. All I heard all summer from BYU fans was how he's never been caught from behind...well, last night, he was caught from behind.

They don't have a big time receiving threat. Their only successes came off quick slants and bootleg TE dumps. We can play them physical and straight up man, which will take away the TE dump and slant plays. Their WR's won't get off the line of scrimmage vs us.

When we played SUU, we ran out a totally DIFFERENT offense than we have run last 5 years. We showcased a couple of plays from that offense, but BYU has no idea what to prepare for. They saw no quick slants, no WR screens, no playaction, no complicated blocking schemes, no misdirection. Nothing.

We saw Ty's offense, and their offense is predicated on execution and timing. We are bigger, faster, stronger. All things that disrupt execution and timing.

We will be just fine.

:clap:

Redbird
09-04-2016, 12:26 PM
BYU's front 7 looked good. A lot of diverse looks that made Solomon very uncomfortable. And Jamaal Williams is a beast. He seemed to pick up at least 3 yards after contact most carries.

I love our front 7, and I think Troy Williams is capable of stretching the field better than Arizona. I like our chances, but it will be a slugfest. BYU looks like a more disciplined team compared to past years.

Xamius
09-04-2016, 12:29 PM

We will be just fine.

Not one coach in the country would choose Williams over hill or mangum

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-04-2016, 12:30 PM
:clap:

I love Utah season.

LA Ute
09-04-2016, 12:35 PM

We Ute fans are really happy with Williams. Glad you like your guys. We'll see how Hill does head to head against Williams. The last time Taysom played against Utah he was overshadowed by none other than Travis Wilson.

Xamius
09-04-2016, 01:12 PM
We Ute fans are really happy with Williams. Glad you like your guys. We'll see how Hill does head to head against Williams. The last time Taysom played against Utah he was overshadowed by none other than Travis Wilson.

Utah has had a better defense. The qbs a arent playing against the same defense so you can't really compare

LA Ute
09-04-2016, 01:27 PM
Utah has had a better defense. The qbs a arent playing against the same defense so you can't really compare

Except for head to head competition, we aren't going to know how good any team is until 5-6 games in. After next Saturday either Utah or BYU will have bragging rights, but that's it.

U-Ute
09-04-2016, 03:54 PM
BYU looked a lot like Utah against SUU: good defense and a porous offensive line. They had a hard time against Arizona's pressures.

I feel like Utah is in a better spot to adjust.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-04-2016, 04:19 PM
Line opens at -4.5.

USS Utah
09-04-2016, 04:22 PM

I don't hate BYU so much as I am totally sick and tired of their fans and the local media.

USS Utah
09-04-2016, 04:29 PM
Well, there's no reason to be afraid of them after that Arizona game, but the Utes should be ready for a tough ball game next Saturday. I'm excited. I don't think Kyle has ever failed to have his team are fully prepared for the BYU game. Go Utes!

So, apparently, a number of folks -- BYU fans and local media members -- thought a week ago the UA game would be a toss-up for BYU. Then, a journalist from Arizona went on a local sports station to talk about how absolutely horrid the Wildcat defense was. Those who had been thinking toss-up quickly changed to thinking BYU would in going away. BYU would do this because the Arizona defense had a new staff, possibly a new scheme, and many new starters. I heard that and thought, wait, so does BYU, on both sides of the ball, why does this not apply to the Cougs? Instead of persuading me that BYU would win going away (14 or more points) the report on the horridness of the UA defense persuaded me that the game might actually be a toss-up.

Of course, this week none of those who thought BYU would win going away will remember that as they salivate about what they think BYU's defense will do against Utah's OL and running game. In other words, situation normal, all fouled up.

LA Ute
09-04-2016, 04:42 PM
I don't hate BYU so much as I am totally sick and tired of their fans and the local media.

That really describes my position too -- and that of many here, I'll bet. I really have nothing against the BYU players or even the coaches, who are pretty decent and respectable guys. Their fans are obnoxious in a...unique way.

sancho
09-04-2016, 05:18 PM
That really describes my position too -- and that of many here, I'll bet. I really have nothing against the BYU players or even the coaches, who are pretty decent and respectable guys. Their fans are obnoxious in a...unique way.

Well, not me. I hate BYU. I feel like fans should hate their rival.

Utah
09-04-2016, 06:23 PM

I'm not sure there's any coach at any decent program that would want Hill, Mangum or Williams. We all know Hill and Mangum are very pedestrian passing QB's (don't think so, look at Wilson vs Hill vs Mangum's stats vs P5 schools. Wilson is the best passer).

The only QB in this state worth much is Williams...and that's because we've haven't seen him screw up yet.

LA Ute
09-04-2016, 06:28 PM

Hater.

USS Utah
09-04-2016, 06:30 PM

I do. I hate Colorado . . . and ASU . . . and UA . . . and UC- . . . well, pretty much everyone else in the Pac-12.

Scratch
09-04-2016, 07:11 PM
And speaking of UA's terrible D, don't forget they lost their best defender early in the game.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-05-2016, 10:50 AM
A bit of history with this game.

http://youtu.be/I-1RlfwrkdM

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-05-2016, 12:16 PM
This week's press release.

http://sidearm.sites.s3.amazonaws.com/utahutes.com/documents/2016/9/5/fbbyu16.pdf

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-05-2016, 12:49 PM
"No change" in Butler-Byrd's status this week according to Whittingham.

"We'll see" on Domo's status.

Ma'ake
09-05-2016, 12:50 PM
Some initial thoughts:

- Deep down, BYU has a "Utah complex". They want to beat us so bad it permeates everything. The motivation is certainly there, but the weight of our streak is a heavy burden.

- Taysom Hill and Jamaal Williams are really, really good players, and impressive leaders. I don't think they'll look as good vs Utah's D.

- Defensively, BYU looked good. Actually, I went to bed at halftime, convinced that Arizona - at least in Week 1 - was pretty pathetic. The wife woke me up when UA went ahead late, then BYU eeked out the dramatic victory.

- First games are almost always erratic. Utah's performance vs SUU revealed a number of areas for improvement, the problems are all correctable. BYU will likewise improve between the first two games.

- As UTEopia pointed out, turnovers in the rivalry game have been a huge indicator of who will win. There's no reason to think that will change.

- I expect Utah to attack BYU's defense vertically. TWilliams has the arm to go long, and even though BYU is getting better athletically on defense than they've been, they don't have the depth in the defensive backfield to account for Patrick, Singleton, TSmith, Fulks, SWilson, Simpkins. The freshman CB isn't *that* good.

- We have only one game vs a FCS team as a data point, but Troy appears to be good at finding the weak spot in coverage and going after it. I think our RBs will be tested, without a doubt. Joe Williams needs to step it up. McCormick isn't a powerback, but he could give them problems on the outside, and beyond the LOS.

- Utah's defense is better equipped to deal with BYU's offensive threats than Arizona was. Our DL should be able to make BYU one dimensional, and then I think Hansen, Sunia, MWilliams, Thomas will be able to make plays against their TE air game. I don't think BYU will have extensive, difference-making success outside vs our corners. Jonah Trinnaman is certainly fast, but as we've seen our own WRs get smothered by PAC-12 secondaries for a few years, our own DBs are similarly used to PAC-12 WRs.

- I don't get the sense that Taysom Hill + any of their WRs is equivalent to Sean Mannion and Brandin Cooks. If we use Sunia as a spy on Hill, he's not going to terrorize our defense with his legs. A few first downs, here or there... sure. For that matter, Chase Hansen can certainly run down Hill.

I expect it to be a hard fought, close game, and BYU will beat the Utes again... I just don't think it will be this year.

NorthwestUteFan
09-05-2016, 01:05 PM
RE: McCormick, the Offensive staff needs to take McCormick and Kyle Fulks into the film room and watch a lot of Oregon game film from the Chip Kelly days with De'Anthony Thomas. Those two have the ability to play in much the same way as D.A.T.

DrumNFeather
09-06-2016, 08:48 AM

He's become Travis Wilson. Good for slants and short throws.

Reminds me very much of the post-injury RGIII. All of the things that made him special (i.e. his ability to escape and blaze past everyone) seemed to not be there against Arizona. Now, that's a small sample size and our LBs still have to bring him down and contain him...but I don't think that there's much question here, the way you play this team is you stack the box against the run and you make this guy beat you with his arm from the pocket.

Applejack
09-06-2016, 08:56 AM
I hate byu! I hate their fans, their coaches, and their players! Utah by 1,000!

chrisrenrut
09-06-2016, 09:12 AM

AJ channeling his inner Max Hall.

Applejack
09-06-2016, 09:25 AM
AJ channeling his inner Max Hall.

I hate him, too!

concerned
09-06-2016, 09:27 AM
Should I wear my "Max Hall Hates Me" shirt to the game, or is that now passe and in poor taste?

(I wore it in 2011 and 13).

U-Ute
09-06-2016, 09:34 AM
Someone needs to make "Kalani loves me" shirts.

mpfunk
09-06-2016, 10:04 AM

:rave:

NorthwestUteFan
09-06-2016, 10:22 AM
Should I wear my "Max Hall Hates Me" shirt to the game, or is that now passe and in poor taste?

Somebody wearing that shirt got his picture taken next to Max Hall at the LV Bowl. Max laughed and seemed to be a good sport about it. He has been through enough of life to realize he was speaking as a young, spoiled punk, and not as a Man.

Applejack
09-06-2016, 10:31 AM

Blase. Maybe try one of LA's new t-shirts: "I have trouble picking sides, but if forced to I would root for Utah. (But I support BYU wholeheartedly as well)"

NorthwestUteFan
09-06-2016, 11:07 AM
And if you do happen to see Max Hall, by all means offer to buy him a Coke.

LA Ute
09-06-2016, 11:33 AM
Blase. Maybe try one of LA's new t-shirts: "I have trouble picking sides, but if forced to I would root for Utah. (But I support BYU wholeheartedly as well)"

That is a defamatory comment, sir. I demand satisfaction. Ma'ake will be my second.

U-Ute
09-06-2016, 11:35 AM
And if you do happen to see Max Hall, by all means offer to buy him a Coke.

I see what you started to do there. You pulled the ripcord at the last minute.

LA Ute
09-06-2016, 11:43 AM
Somebody wearing that shirt got his picture taken next to Max Hall at the LV Bowl. Max laughed and seemed to be a good sport about it. He has been through enough of life to realize he was speaking as a young, spoiled punk, and not as a Man.

Probably true. Still, he's a hero to too many BYU fans, who ought to be embarrassed by what he did. He seems to be more mature about that whole episode than his fans.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-06-2016, 12:16 PM
Zach Moss posted that he's been cleared to play.

U-Ute
09-06-2016, 01:33 PM
Ugh. I heard a promo ad featuring an interview with Tim Patrick on the radio.

(paraphrasing)

Q: "Now that you've seen BYU's defense, can you tell us what you see that that you are impressed with?"

TP: "You mean, like tell you something good about them?"

Q: "Yeah, something you were impressed with."

TP: "Yeah, they don't do anything different. They're just like SUU."

WrP4rFrWxu4IE

Now, I know what he's trying to say and he's just trying to be honest, but, cheese-and-rice man, just say something nice and move on. Don't even flirt with bulletin board material.

Scorcho
09-06-2016, 01:57 PM
Highly unlikely, but I would be giddy if Utah was headed to SJSU as the only FBS program not to be scored on yet

UTEopia
09-06-2016, 03:58 PM

Now, I know what he's trying to say and he's just trying to be honest, but, cheese-and-rice man, just say something nice and move on. Don't even flirt with bulletin board material.

I didn't hear what he said, but the truth is that BYU runs the same defense as SUU. While Tuiaki is the DC in name, Ed Lamb is the DC and is running the same defense he ran at SUU and that SUU still runs.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-06-2016, 05:12 PM

(paraphrasing)

WrP4rFrWxu4IE

I didn't hear what he said, but the truth is that BYU runs the same defense as SUU. While Tuiaki is the DC in name, Ed Lamb is the DC and is running the same defense he ran at SUU and that SUU still runs.

His comment was definitely in relation to scheme but of course BYU fans have worked themselves into a lather over the comparison.

U-Ute
09-06-2016, 05:22 PM
I didn't hear what he said, but the truth is that BYU runs the same defense as SUU. While Tuiaki is the DC in name, Ed Lamb is the DC and is running the same defense he ran at SUU and that SUU still runs.Yeah. It wasn't anything bad, but it can be totally taken the wrong way, and inevitably will.

LA Ute
09-06-2016, 05:51 PM
His comment was definitely in relation to scheme but of course BYU fans have worked themselves into a lather over the comparison.

Ah, Rivalry Week. I'm glad I am on the East Coast.

Diehard Ute
09-06-2016, 06:07 PM
Ah, Rivalry Week. I'm glad I am on the East Coast.

And I'm glad the biggest loud mouth BYU fan at work is at Disneyland. We won't have to hear his stories of BYU's national championship...which he wasn't alive for.

Solon
09-06-2016, 06:19 PM
And I'm glad the biggest loud mouth BYU fan at work is at Disneyland. We won't have to hear his stories of BYU's national championship...which he wasn't alive for.

I wish I could get more pumped for this game.
Don't get me wrong, I really want the Utes to stomp those fascist turds from Provostan, but I would gladly take a loss to the byu if that meant a win vs. UCLA or USC this year.

Win or lose, I just hope this game gets us ready to do some damage in conference.

OrangeUte
09-06-2016, 06:53 PM

I love max hall. he was honest and it just made me smile when he said those thing. I'm glad that he laughs at it now and agree he's been through enough to know and appreciate the beauty of just moving on.

Ma'ake
09-06-2016, 07:17 PM
I thought it was hilarious the way Max ruined their victory in 2009, and drew all the attention to himself as a sore winner, in the process amplifying all the worst parts of the rivalry. Max alone justified our two year hiatus.

I agree that Max the human being has been through a lot, and for all that, I respect him, and wish him the best.

As far as the rivalry, it's kind of fun to point out that since BYU's last victory, their victorious QB made a spectacle of himself, appeared to be on his way to being an NFL starting quarterback, then washed out of the NFL, then the CFL, then got busted for stealing stuff from Best Buy so he could score meth, was incarcerated (at least got the mug shot, in a BYU t-shirt), has repented and has - of course - been accepted back into the BYU community as a hero.

If nothing else, Max put to shame pretty much every Ute athlete's mistake of the past 2 decades. We don't have to listen to any sanctimonious, condescending lectures about their inherent moral superiority.

And so, for that, I guess Max is my hero, too. :)

chrisrenrut
09-06-2016, 07:39 PM
I wish I could get more pumped for this game.
Don't get me wrong, I really want the Utes to stomp those fascist turds from Provostan, but I would gladly take a loss to the byu if that meant a win vs. UCLA or USC this year.

Win or lose, I just hope this game gets us ready to do some damage in conference.

I'm with you. This does not have the same intense feeling of the rivalry as years past. I'm far more nervous about USC in three weeks.

LA Ute
09-06-2016, 08:16 PM
Well, not me. I want this game badly.

I have to admit that I want to win this game only because of the relief it will give me. I won't have to listen to crazy BYU fans gloat about how their win over Utah has far more meaning than it could possibly ever have. Of course, our response would be "Well, good for you. Odds are that you will win one out of every six games. I guess it was your turn this time."

UTEopia
09-06-2016, 08:34 PM
Zach Moss posted that he's been cleared to play.

I really hope they give Moss some carries. I think he could be the most physical runner in the program.

U-Ute
09-06-2016, 08:58 PM
As someone on Twitter pointed out, BYU fans have never posted an Instagram picture of a BYU victory over Utah since their last victory occurred before it was created.

That is fun to ponder.

Utah
09-06-2016, 10:44 PM
Let's be honest here:

If Tim Patrick can't dominate their CB's, he isn't as good as we've been told and our throw game will struggle in the PAC-12.

I'm ok with what he said. We are better than they are. We are more talented than they are. We have better coaches, better players and better resources.

The game won't be easy, and we could lose...but, we should win. Our OL should dominate their DL. Our DL should dominate their OL.

They have two players who would start for us:

Jamaal Williams
Warner, their LB.

Maybe three with Hill and that's not a guarantee, especially if he can't run.

We should win this game. It shouldn't be close. All Patrick has to do is back his words up.

Utah
09-06-2016, 11:29 PM
I wonder if some of their WRs would. I don't know enough about our guys yet to be sure, and I know far less about their guys. We definitely wanted the Snow college guy.

True. Would have liked Trinnaman at Utah.

But, Butler-Byrd was/is a much better prospect, and a little birdy told me he is back with the defense and may be available for Sat...as a defender.

If we are deep enough to move him back to defense, Trinnaman probably wouldn't be playing for us either.

BUT, like you referenced, our guys need to do it on the field. This weekend is a big weekend for us. If we struggle, we will probably have a season like the last two...good, but not quite good enough.

If we handle them like we did in December, and finish the game instead of taking three quarters off, then...we will be very good. Very, very good.

LA Ute
09-07-2016, 07:21 AM
Send this to your BYU fan acquaintances. They won't know what to say.

Why Red is Better Than Blue

https://prezi.com/m/ps3gwi8aag7t/why-red-is-better-than-blue/

Redbird
09-07-2016, 07:37 AM
If utah wins, will fans rush the field? The winning home team has rushed the field in each of the last 9 home wins in this series. 1991 was the last time it didn't happen.

DrumNFeather
09-07-2016, 07:56 AM
The challenge of having a rivalry game in week 2 is that because rivalry games are so unique, I'm not sure how much we'll walk away knowing about our squad. I think there are spots where our performance will help us know (i.e. can we hold Jamaal under 100 yards rushing), but because of the wacky nature of the rivalry, how much will we be able to glean from this game win or lose? I do believe we will see improvement in the line and some more shots downfield. Our ability to sustain drives will be, IMO, the key to this game. Remember, we were so vanilla and so conservative in the bowl game that we allowed them to hang around. Whit won't make that mistake again, and I think we've got enough speed to move the chains much more effectively than we did in the bowl game.

concerned
09-07-2016, 08:24 AM
I hadn't really thought about it, but I heard on the radio that Detmer really slowed the pace on offense, a far cry from GFGO. We did too for the most part. How does anybody think the tempo will affect the outcome, besides possibly helping the Y's lack of depth? Will we speed it up?

Sullyute
09-07-2016, 08:28 AM
If utah wins, will fans rush the field? The winning home team has rushed the field in each of the last 9 home wins in this series. 1991 was the last time it didn't happen.

That is a crazy stat. I hope we don't. But if the kids like it, let them party.

concerned
09-07-2016, 08:31 AM

I shudder to think what would happen if suspenders boy rushed Sitake.

Applejack
09-07-2016, 08:38 AM

lol. good one.

Brian
09-07-2016, 08:42 AM

probably give him a bear hug, and squeeze the life out of him, all with a big smile on his face.

Utah
09-07-2016, 08:50 AM
I don't think we will know much about this team until after USC.

We are better than BYU. We have better facilities, better coaches, better players.

We should start the season 3-0. Our first "potential loss" should be vs USC.

So, can BYU beat us? Absolutely. I think we play this game like we played Michigan last year.

We run the ball, run the clock, play tough defense, keep things simple.

Do what we've been doing the last 5 years.

What that means is, with a limited playbook, talent wins early. It's why we get up double digits early. Then, as BYU makes adjustments, they improve vs our talent as they use scheme to take away what has worked.

Hence, the holding on to win as BYU "outplays" us and "is clearly the better team".

Our goal is to win the south. So, we will save schemes for the USC game.

The difference between this year and last? Our QB is hopefully dynamic enough that when we open our playbook and our opponents change their scheme for us, we can continue to evolve and change as well.

kccougar
09-07-2016, 09:02 AM
I don't think we will know much about this team until after USC.

We are better than BYU. We have better facilities, better coaches, better players.

We should start the season 3-0. Our first "potential loss" should be vs USC.

So, can BYU beat us? Absolutely. I think we play this game like we played Michigan last year.

We run the ball, run the clock, play tough defense, keep things simple.

Do what we've been doing the last 5 years.

What that means is, with a limited playbook, talent wins early. It's why we get up double digits early. Then, as BYU makes adjustments, they improve vs our talent as they use scheme to take away what has worked.

Hence, the holding on to win as BYU "outplays" us and "is clearly the better team".

Our goal is to win the south. So, we will save schemes for the USC game.

The difference between this year and last? Our QB is hopefully dynamic enough that when we open our playbook and our opponents change their scheme for us, we can continue to evolve and change as well.

We call this hedging.

Applejack
09-07-2016, 09:41 AM
We call this hedging.

I think you need to be a better student of Utah's posts. He does not hedge: did you know that there are just two players on BYU that would start for Utah? I did, and I learned it from the master of not hedging.

LA Ute
09-07-2016, 10:08 AM
I hope that next week we can see another video like this one, but about the BYU game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6oNwIdbfmI

concerned
09-07-2016, 10:19 AM
Got a chuckle out of this. Dont know whether it says more about the rivalry or Moose, but he in infamous across the spectrum.

Utah Pig Bus ‏@UtahPigBus (https://twitter.com/UtahPigBus) 8h8 hours ago (https://twitter.com/UtahPigBus/status/773440151792062464)Saint-Aubin-de-Cadelech, France (https://twitter.com/search?q=place%3A599869083982b9d6)
There was a time that the BYU game meant a bowl game, conf championship, and busting the BCS, now it means who can out-Moose each other

Applejack
09-07-2016, 11:14 AM
In this case, I think Utah's optimism might be close to the truth. How many BYU players would start on this Utah team? Williams and Warner for sure. Maybe WRs/TEs. Maybe the one DB people keep talking about? I'm not sure about the lines, but there can't be many on that list. We didn't even start that dude who betrayed us and ran off to start at USC.

You just trolled me into extolling the virtues of BYU!

Here goes:

RB-Williams
QB-Hill/Magnum (sorry, just being honest)
WR-Trinnaman; Moroni whatever
OL - Koroma

DL-That guy who is injured would play but I'm not sure about starting
LB - Warner, whoever else they have
DB - Lake, and Davis would be involved. Tough to say who starts.

So that's a bit more than two.

chrisrenrut
09-07-2016, 11:21 AM

Here goes:

RB-Williams
OL - Koroma

The bolded part made me lol.

concerned
09-07-2016, 11:24 AM

Here goes:

RB-Williams
OL - Koroma

Karoma would start at center, and Dielman would move to the right side. Warner and J. Williams would start too, so would Hill, probably. Not sure about Mangum; Troy Williams fits our offense better.

Trinnaman isnt starting for the Y, he wouldnt start for us, but would be in the rotation.

If Stevie T couldn't start, neither would Tulioma.

Davis would not start over our DB's. Lake isnt starting for them.

Applejack
09-07-2016, 11:39 AM
Karoma would start at center, and Dielman would move to the right side. Warner and J. Williams would start too, so would Hill, probably. Not sure about Mangum; Troy Williams fits our offense better.

Trinnaman isnt starting for the Y, he wouldnt start for us, but would be in the rotation.

I agree Tuiloma probably wouldn't start, but he'd factor heavily into the rotation. Same with Moroni what's his name. Trinnaman will start soon enough for the Y and I suspect Utah as well.

I should have clarified on the dbs: probably no one would start over our senior-heavy players if Domo is healthy; which I doubt, thus starting Davis. Lake will be good, I like him, but I shouldn't have included him this year.

Applejack
09-07-2016, 11:40 AM
The bolded part made me lol.

It made me cry. :cry:

Utah
09-07-2016, 11:40 AM

Whoa. What a Utah homer you are.

Utah
09-07-2016, 11:42 AM
Applejack has decided I'm an unabashed homer and nothing will change his mind.

Even to the extent where he would say that one of BYU's DB's and DL would start at Utah.

concerned
09-07-2016, 11:44 AM
Whoa. What a Utah homer you are.

Who me? Nah, I'm concerned.

Applejack
09-07-2016, 12:05 PM
Applejack has decided I'm an unabashed homer and nothing will change his mind.

Even to the extent where he would say that one of BYU's DB's and DL would start at Utah.

Chill, Utah. Be one with homerism.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-07-2016, 12:13 PM
If nothing else, Max put to shame pretty much every Ute athlete's mistake of the past 2 decades. We don't have to listen to any sanctimonious, condescending lectures about their inherent moral superiority.

And so, for that, I guess Max is my hero, too. :)

Unfortunately, until hey have a player arrested for beating the hell out of his wife and threatening to kill her with a towel rod in front of their children, I think we've got a solid lead in that depth chart.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-07-2016, 12:15 PM

It'll just cost the program a lot more dimes this year. What's the fine for a first offense field rushing? $50,000?

mpfunk
09-07-2016, 12:20 PM

Plus, he was probably high when he said it.

NorthwestUteFan
09-07-2016, 01:24 PM
Plus, he was probably high when he said it.
Thus returning to the good old 80s, where all of the players were drugged up by team docs.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-07-2016, 02:08 PM
Here's the photo Northwest (?) referenced earlier:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160907/2003284b01bb0af68de2839231977ad9.jpg

concerned
09-07-2016, 02:39 PM
Am I the only person who thinks Max Hall and Morgan Scalley look a bit like each other?

Utah
09-07-2016, 02:43 PM
Am I the only person who thinks Max Hall and Morgan Scalley look a bit like each other?

Yes.

Scalley has a big nose. And that beard is strapping.

Anyhow, depth chart has Domo starting this week. I hope he doesn't come back too early, but if he's playing, that's amazing news.

Applejack
09-07-2016, 03:33 PM
Yes.

Scalley has a big nose. And that beard is strapping.

Anyhow, depth chart has Domo starting this week. I hope he doesn't come back too early, but if he's playing, that's amazing news.

And a bit surprising. I was under the impression that he was doubtful for USC. I'd love to have the "thief" (because he intercepts the ball a lot, not that other thing) on the field Saturday.

Diehard Ute
09-07-2016, 03:34 PM
And a bit surprising. I was under the impression that he was doubtful for USC. I'd love to have the "thief" (because he intercepts the ball a lot, not that other thing) on the field Saturday.

You have to remember Kyle has said repeatedly that he thinks his secretary is the one who makes the depth chart

Brian
09-07-2016, 04:07 PM
You have to remember Kyle has said repeatedly that he thinks his secretary is the one who makes the depth chart

Any maybe his secretary wants to give something for Tyler to think about for Saturday.

U-Ute
09-07-2016, 04:26 PM
Anyhow, depth chart has Domo starting this week. I hope he doesn't come back too early, but if he's playing, that's amazing news.Where is that posted these days? I can't find it on the redesigned website.

Diehard Ute
09-07-2016, 04:31 PM
Where is that posted these days? I can't find it on the redesigned website.

http://sidearm.sites.s3.amazonaws.com/utahutes.com/documents/2016/9/5/fbbyu16.pdf

I had to go to news and then search for "depth"

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-07-2016, 07:01 PM
This showed up yesterday on the overly celebrate Boner Felley and I think taken down after a brief run of poor taste.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160908/e6366bc36161dfa9d9691fba3d186037.jpg

NorthwestUteFan
09-07-2016, 07:56 PM
Jeebus. The zoo has worse on their own coaching staff. They have no room to talk.

Ultimate Ute
09-07-2016, 10:30 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing another "he's got enough to feed the needy, candy for everybody" outcome.

It's humorous watching the expression of team down souths drill team standing at the back of the end zone after White's final romp in the game referenced above, or the Oregon dancing girls on the sidelines as Boobie Hobbs crosses the goal line on his magical punt return.

Applejack
09-08-2016, 07:45 AM

Yeah, Goon thinks that Domo is out until October.

Diehard Ute
09-08-2016, 08:18 AM
Yeah, Goon thinks that Domo is out until October.

His original take, and that of everyone else, was the USC game.

Domo was moving well on the field before the game last week. I doubt it'll be longer than 3 weeks.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-08-2016, 07:20 PM
Just me, or has this been a really quiet rivalry week? I don't follow any BYU stuff on twitter, and I don't read Utah newspapers, so maybe I'm just missing it all. Normally, we'd have 2-3 dumb quotes from Bronco by now. So far, the closest thing we have to rivalry fire is Tim Patrick pointing out that BYU and SUU run the same defense.

I've seen a fair amount of banter on Twitter but my FB has been completely silent. It's starting g to make me nervous.

mUUser
09-08-2016, 08:22 PM
Ronnie Mac reppin the Utah gear at Juan Diego - Murray game tonight. The guy's a football junkie.

Utah
09-08-2016, 09:10 PM
I think both fanbases have a quiet confidence and smugness. Utah fans think Utah has passed BYU by and it will be another Vegas Bowl...without the let up in play.

BYU fans think that Ty Detmer will take them back to the 80's when they win 18 out of 20 games.

My question is this:

How quickly does that fanbase turn on Ty? When BYU plays Utah football (ball control, no throwing, run, run, run, play for a punt, etc) and then they lose to Utah, how fast do they turn? When Ty doesn't throw it 50 times and have BYU put up 50?

Utah
09-08-2016, 09:18 PM
Also, I just ventured over to Cougarboard and those guys are outright crazy. I posted somewhere about how BYU fans are outright lied to.

I posted how Kalani said BYU was 10-12 deep on the OL. How when BYU played Fresno, BYU's play by play guy talked about how lucky Utah was to get a punt return and kick return for a TD and how close the game was before then. I gave a few more examples of outright lies by their media base and experts.

I think part of the reason why BYU fans aren't around is they don't have anything to crow about anymore. So, they've rallied around each other on cougar board and are telling stories of how Utah fans pee on 7 year old BYU fans and how the cops won't do anything about it.

In short? They are all freaking nuts. They buy the crap that they are sold, and since no one else is, they huddle together and circle the wagons.

IF BYU were to win, I think we would see them pour out of nook and cranny pounding their chests and their religious texts.

Utah
09-08-2016, 11:37 PM
So, we just saw this team a couple months ago. How has each team improved?

QB:

BYU went from Mangum to Hill. At best, it is a slight improvement. Neither is an NFL QB, neither will blow you away with their passing, but Hill does have the threat of running.

Utah went from Wilson to Williams. This is a tough one. Williams, we know next to nothing about, other than he looked like a real QB vs SUU. Wilson was not a good thrower, but never lost to BYU. At worst, Utah stayed the same. At best, Utah is a lot better at QB.

Who improved the most: BYU...or Utah.

RB: Utah only had Williams in the bowl game. BYU did not have Williams in the bowl game. Utah now has more depth and a very dynamic back in McCormick. BYU now has Williams, who looks to be a #1 back. Who improved the most? Probably a wash.

WR: BYU lost their top 2-3 WR's. Utah went from no depth at WR to Tim Patrick and company. Who improved the most? Utah.

TE: BYU didn't have any in the Vegas Bowl and appear to have a pass catcher now, but still no blocker. Utah went from one starting quality TE to two. Who improved the most? Utah.

OL: BYU lose Matthews and Wilcox. They are now starting three players with zero Division 1 scholarship offers out of high school. Utah lost Lutui, which was a big blow but added Bolles. Who improved the most: Maybe no one improved, but BYU definitely took the biggest step backwards, so Utah wins this as well.

DL: BYU lost Tuiloma and Kafusi. Ouch. Utah lost Fanaika but gained Tupai, Anae, Dimick, Fotu. Who improved the most? Seeing how Utah got deeper and BYU lost most of their proven talent? Utah wins again.

LB: BYU wins. Not worth the effort.

CB: We bring everyone back. They are starting a true freshman. Utah wins.

S: Williams is better than Nacua. Tevin Carter is better than Hannemann. Chase Hansen beat out Tevin Carter after three weeks with the defense. Therefore, it is not a leap to say that Utah improved the most because Hansen is healthy again. Utah wins.

P: Not a lot to go off of. Their P is solid, ours just broke Hackett's single game record. Let's be nice and say this is a wash.

K: Phillips is a lot more proven than whoever they have. Even with a broken toe. Utah wins.

So, since the Vegas Bowl, BYU has improved their QB, HB. They have regressed at WR, OL, DL, LB, CB. They have stayed the same at TE and S.

Utah has improved their QB (or stayed the same here), WR, TE, OL, S. They have regressed at LB. They have stayed the same at HB, DL, CB.

Utah is better than they were in the Vegas Bowl in these areas: HB, WR, TE, S. They are worse at LB.
BYU is better than they were in the Vegas Bowl in these areas: QB, HB. They are worse at WR, OL, DL, LB, CB.

I'd feel pretty good if I was a Utah fan. And we haven't even gotten into the game being at RES and the fact that BYU's coaches just aren't as good as Utah's.

SeattleUte
09-08-2016, 11:53 PM

QB:

BYU went from Mangum to Hill. At best, it is a slight improvement. Neither is an NFL QB, neither will blow you away with their passing, but Hill does have the threat of running.

Utah went from Wilson to Williams. This is a tough one. Williams, we know next to nothing about, other than he looked like a real QB vs SUU. Wilson was not a good thrower, but never lost to BYU. At worst, Utah stayed the same. At best, Utah is a lot better at QB.

RB: Utah only had Williams in the bowl game. BYU did not have Williams in the bowl game. Utah now has more depth and a very dynamic back in McCormick. BYU now has Williams, who looks to be a #1 back. Who improved the most? Probably a wash.

WR: BYU lost their top 2-3 WR's. Utah went from no depth at WR to Tim Patrick and company. Who improved the most? Utah.

TE: BYU didn't have any in the Vegas Bowl and appear to have a pass catcher now, but still no blocker. Utah went from one starting quality TE to two. Who improved the most? Utah.

OL: BYU lose Matthews and Wilcox. They are now starting three players with zero Division 1 scholarship offers out of high school. Utah lost Lutui, which was a big blow but added Bolles. Who improved the most: Maybe no one improved, but BYU definitely took the biggest step backwards, so Utah wins this as well.

DL: BYU lost Tuiloma and Kafusi. Ouch. Utah lost Fanaika but gained Tupai, Anae, Dimick, Fotu. Who improved the most? Seeing how Utah got deeper and BYU lost most of their proven talent? Utah wins again.

S: Williams is better than Nacua. Tevin Carter is better than Hannemann. Chase Hansen beat out Tevin Carter after three weeks with the defense. Therefore, it is not a leap to say that Utah improved the most because Hansen is healthy again. Utah wins.

P: Not a lot to go off of. Their P is solid, ours just broke Hackett's single game record. Let's be nice and say this is a wash.

K: Phillips is a lot more proven than whoever they have. Even with a broken toe. Utah wins.

So, since the Vegas Bowl, BYU has improved their QB, HB. They have regressed at WR, OL, DL, LB, CB. They have stayed the same at TE and S.

Utah has improved their QB (or stayed the same here), WR, TE, OL, S. They have regressed at LB. They have stayed the same at HB, DL, CB.

Utah is better than they were in the Vegas Bowl in these areas: HB, WR, TE, S. They are worse at LB.
BYU is better than they were in the Vegas Bowl in these areas: QB, HB. They are worse at WR, OL, DL, LB, CB.

I'd feel pretty good if I was a Utah fan. And we haven't even gotten into the game being at RES and the fact that BYU's coaches just aren't as good as Utah's.

I thought you were a Ute fan. Fooled me.

kccougar
09-09-2016, 12:52 AM

QB:

I come here now just to read your posts.

NorthwestUteFan
09-09-2016, 07:19 AM
We all know you're a permanent lurker, kc.
Everybody needs a hobby.

Utah
09-09-2016, 10:58 AM
Anyone have any thoughts on what I posted? What positions has BYU improved since Vegas, and where have they taken a step back? And Utah?

U-Ute
09-09-2016, 11:03 AM

That's the kind of Kalani spirit of sharing and love that is the new rivalry.:cheers:

SeattleUte
09-09-2016, 11:19 AM
Here's my admittedly biased take (I love the Utes and I'm a Kyle apologist and totally indifferent about BYU). This BYU coaching staff is the least qualified coaching staff ever for a top 20 tradition. Sitaki's one notable achievement is as defensive coordinator for Whit the year before last. Before that, we were wondering about him. And we all know Whit could have a ham sandwich for a defensive coordinator we'd be fine. From the rumors I heard, while Sitaki was at Utah he showed all the qualities of a deluded, frustrated, ingrate of an inferior protégé.

But I admit to being shocked that they beat Arizona. I honestly expected a beat down. But we've seen many times that a new coach can for a while seem to progress strictly off of his successful predecessor's momentum. Or, maybe Lamb is the shadow coach, like Mark Few was under Monson. But Occam's razor tells me their coaching staff just sucks.

Utah is playing at home; has two more days to prepare; Whit has this uncanny ability to undo BYU. I am fascinated by Troy Williams' biography that led him here and I have a lot of faith in the kid--but it really is just naked faith.

I'm expecting Utah to handle BYU in this game. That spread is ridiculous.

Brian
09-09-2016, 11:19 AM
Seems clear the only hope the byu has is through the passing game.

Is there a non-zero probability that Mangum starts?

Rocker Ute
09-09-2016, 11:43 AM
I'm nervous about Jamal Williams ability to break the big plays. I'm nervous about Joe Williams inability to do the same against SUU. One of the problems I observed with SUU is that it seemed like Troy Williams and Joe Williams weren't in sync on the handoffs and that lost step meant missed holes.

Truth is Utah needs a balanced attack and so we need to see our Williams getting 3 yards a run and their Williams getting the same or less. Our D-line is going to have to be stout and stiffling.

I think that Taysom Hill now suffers from Travis Wilson-itis in that he is good for short passes and the occassional run. The question is do we want to spend time being in their backfield or making sure that Jamal Williams doesn't break off any big runs. I tend to think we are going to work on stuffing the line versus blitzing like crazy. Let Hill try to work out of a pocket versus running around on the field.

This is a statement game for Sitake and BYU has all of the motivation in the world. But we've got superior athletes, a better coaching staff and home field advantage.

Scratch
09-09-2016, 11:58 AM
Seems clear the only hope the byu has is through the passing game.

Is there a non-zero probability that Mangum starts?

I honestly am not sure if Mangum is actually a better passer than Hill. Hill's accuracy has improved a fair amount, and a lot of Mangum's "success" last year was built on him throwing up crap to tall, athletic receivers (who are mostly gone this year) and than another 100 or so yards and 2 TDs from hail marys.

SeattleUte
09-09-2016, 12:05 PM
I'm nervous about Jamal Williams ability to break the big plays. I'm nervous about Joe Williams inability to do the same against SUU. One of the problems I observed with SUU is that it seemed like Troy Williams and Joe Williams weren't in sync on the handoffs and that lost step meant missed holes.

Truth is Utah needs a balanced attack and so we need to see our Williams getting 3 yards a run and their Williams getting the same or less. Our D-line is going to have to be stout and stiffling.

I think that Taysom Hill now suffers from Travis Wilson-itis in that he is good for short passes and the occassional run. The question is do we want to spend time being in their backfield or making sure that Jamal Williams doesn't break off any big runs. I tend to think we are going to work on stuffing the line versus blitzing like crazy. Let Hill try to work out of a pocket versus running around on the field.

This is a statement game for Sitake and BYU has all of the motivation in the world. But we've got superior athletes, a better coaching staff and home field advantage.

I'm not worried about our running game. In a way, multiple better than average running backs with diverse skills is preferable to one superstar. Unlike quarterback, you don't have to choose. Especially with our O line. I expect us to beat them badly.

DrumNFeather
09-09-2016, 12:10 PM

To your Jamaal Williams point...our defenders in my recollection have had a tendency to arm tackle...you cannot do that against a player like Williams. He will keep the legs churning. If you watch the few plays that Arizona tackled him behind the line of scrimmage it was 3 and 4 guys...they need to hit him and bring him down.

To your Joe Williams point...I get the impression that he's got a short leash and that Whit won't hesitate to put in Shyne or Moss if he feels they can be more effective. My personal opinion is that Joe will bounce back, but that we'll really try to get Troy out in space and force their guys to make tackles.

On your final point - there is a growing sentiment that this is BYU's year...I'm not sure I see that. Emotions can only take you so far before preparation takes over...and as SU pointed out, this is a very green staff that is coming off a tough, hard-fought win going up against a veteran staff with extra time to prepare...and showed virtually nothing against SUU.

The biggest problem in the Vegas bowl was our inability to move the chains after the first half...I think if we can move the chains and sustain drives we will wear them down. I see an Andy Philips field goal near the end to extend the lead to 9 for a 26-17 victory.

chrisrenrut
09-09-2016, 12:39 PM
it seemed like Troy Williams and Joe Williams weren't in sync on the handoffs and that lost step meant missed holes.

QB Williams picking up each snap off his shoe tops probably didn't help. Hopefully the center/QB interface has been improved through practice this past week.

Ma'ake
09-09-2016, 01:06 PM

This is why Jamaal Williams shouldn't be able to rip off long runs. He's a really good back, cuts really well, but our defense is constructed to contain those kinds of backs, like Gaskin of Washington. Any of our DBs except maybe Hansen can run down JWilliams, if need be, but the key is to limit his ability to get past the LOS.

I think what BYU is going to do is try the short range westcoast air game, and get a balance going with the run game. I think they're going to try to use the TEs to try and move the sticks, because their WRs aren't a major threat, and Taysom Hill is not Jared Goff. With the exception of Trinnaman, they don't really have a burner.

Scalley I'm sure has a large bag of tricks on how to disrupt their short game, including some stuff Kalani hasn't seen, and there are probably 40 different blitzes in the defensive playbook. Gone are the days when defenses just sit back and try to contain offenses, hoping for a mistake to end drives.

Do we have the athletes to apply that kind of pressure, and still recover if they make a play? I think we do. Then if we get to the point where we're making plays, masking blitzes, masking coverages, mixing it up... our D vs their Offense is a net positive for us.

concerned
09-09-2016, 01:30 PM
i saw a tweet saying the the Y's pro set, west coast, more traditional offense plays to the strengths of Utah's defense. True?

Driving home on successive nights, I listened to Jordan Pendleton and Jake Kuresa analyze the game. I thought both of them had insightful things to say about strategy for each team. What stood out to me was that, even though each of them picked the Y, neither thought the Y could match up physically or atheletically with the U. Reading between the lines, it made me think that the Y may be intimidated a little bit going in.

Ma'ake
09-09-2016, 01:41 PM
Turnovers and ball control - this is cliché, but true. We've had great success vs BYU because we've gotten more turnovers. I think our overall talent level has made this slightly less critical, but it's still essential. Our RBs don't need to rumble for 200 yards, they just need to take care of the ball and make plays at the right time.

Win the war in the trenches - another cliché, another truth. Lotulelei, Mokofisi, Tasini & crew have to bottle up the middle, and then Dimick and Fitts can hold the edge. On offense, our veteran OL needs to atone for the ragged start, and I think they will. Early in the game, the LOS may be pretty tight, but as the game goes on, things should start to loosen up for the run game.

Troy Williams - rise to the occasion. With several other areas being more even, Troy will be instrumental in opening up the offense, finding the weak spot in the pass defense. The WRs likewise need to capitalize on their athleticism to get results. If we can get the air game moving the sticks, that will put pressure on Lambiaki to be more selective with bringing pressure, which will open the run game and short passing game.

Chunk yardage - BYU is going to be very focused on avoiding the turnover weakness they've had for the last 5 victories, which means we need some big plays to flip the field. It's time for Coach Holliday and the WRs to make their mark, and it would be great to see Joe Williams and McCormick get a chance to show their track credentials. It would be awesome to see our RBs strike from long range early, but I'll take a back-breaker home run late.

Mitch and Andy - I think BYU will sell out to try and get a block on Mitch, so avoiding that will be key. Andy just needs to be Andy. We have the advantage in the kicking game. It needs to stand out.

Be aggressive, but be composed - we're more athletic, overall. Let our lines fight the battle up front, and let our athletic edge make a difference, overall. Whitt said this is the first year we've really had the talent and depth to contend in the PAC, and it's time to combine that with Whitt's determination to put these guys where they belong, with the smaller number on the scoreboard.

Go Utes ! ! ! !

mpfunk
09-09-2016, 02:32 PM

I'm surprised that you are willing to take time out of your busy schedule writing made up stories on cougarboard about Ute fan behavior to read this site.

kccougar
09-09-2016, 02:41 PM
I'm surprised that you are willing to take time out of your busy schedule writing made up stories on cougarboard about Ute fan behavior to read this site.

I won't vouch for any stories but my own. And who are you to claim otherwise - you won't even attend events on campus.

SeattleUte
09-09-2016, 02:51 PM
i saw a tweet saying the the Y's pro set, west coast, more traditional offense plays to the strengths of Utah's defense. True?

Driving home on successive nights, I listened to Jordan Pendleton and Jake Kuresa analyze the game. I thought both of them had insightful things to say about strategy for each team. What stood out to me was that, even though each of them picked the Y, neither thought the Y could match up physically or atheletically with the U. Reading between the lines, it made me think that the Y may be intimidated a little bit going in.

I don't know who those guys are. BYU homers? However, it feels like before Vegas--Utah owning a diminishing spread and most pickers going with BYU.

Brian
09-09-2016, 02:56 PM
I honestly am not sure if Mangum is actually a better passer than Hill. Hill's accuracy has improved a fair amount, and a lot of Mangum's "success" last year was built on him throwing up crap to tall, athletic receivers (who are mostly gone this year) and than another 100 or so yards and 2 TDs from hail marys.

Ya, good point.

concerned
09-09-2016, 03:04 PM
I don't know who those guys are. BYU homers? However, it feels like before Vegas--Utah owning a diminishing spread and most pickers going with BYU.

Former players from the last couple of years. My point was they were each quite honest and insightful and not homers at all.

BTW, what award did LOGOS win?

UTEopia
09-09-2016, 03:07 PM
IMO, s QB who can hurt you running the ball is more difficult to defend. That ability will get you 2-4 first downs a game when he scrambles for a first down. Both Hill and Mangum are good QBs and will be in the top 1/2 of QBs we see this year.

Solon
09-09-2016, 03:28 PM
To your Jamaal Williams point...our defenders in my recollection have had a tendency to arm tackle...you cannot do that against a player like Williams. He will keep the legs churning. If you watch the few plays that Arizona tackled him behind the line of scrimmage it was 3 and 4 guys...they need to hit him and bring him down.

To your Joe Williams point...I get the impression that he's got a short leash and that Whit won't hesitate to put in Shyne or Moss if he feels they can be more effective. My personal opinion is that Joe will bounce back, but that we'll really try to get Troy out in space and force their guys to make tackles.

On your final point - there is a growing sentiment that this is BYU's year...I'm not sure I see that. Emotions can only take you so far before preparation takes over...and as SU pointed out, this is a very green staff that is coming off a tough, hard-fought win going up against a veteran staff with extra time to prepare...and showed virtually nothing against SUU.

The biggest problem in the Vegas bowl was our inability to move the chains after the first half...I think if we can move the chains and sustain drives we will wear them down. I see an Andy Philips field goal near the end to extend the lead to 9 for a 26-17 victory.

i would love to have Jamaal in a Utah jersey. Kid can run. I can't believe he came back after the byu mukhabarat made him sit for a year.

The thing from the SUU game that most heartened me was the occasional 3rd down completion. Last year, esp. towards the end of the year, Wilson was never really a threat to complete a throw on 3rd & 7. This makes the offense much more potent, although a hamster running after a cookie would probably be classified as a "much more potent" Utah offense.

concerned
09-09-2016, 03:33 PM

Next year is BYU's year. We will have almost a completely new defense and turnover on the offensive line. If they dont beat us next year at home they never will.

DrumNFeather
09-09-2016, 03:39 PM
Next year is BYU's year. We will have almost a completely new defense and turnover on the offensive line. If they dont beat us next year at home they never will.

...and nobody plays the disrespect card better than Whit...and I think that there's just a bit of disrespect going around with all these "close game"/"BYU wins" predictions.

SeattleUte
09-09-2016, 03:54 PM
Former players from the last couple of years. My point was they were each quite honest and insightful and not homers at all.

BTW, what award did LOGOS win?

http://www.independentpublisher.com/article.php?page=2045

Some background on the award:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independent_Publisher_Book_Awards

NorthwestUteFan
09-09-2016, 04:04 PM
IMO, s QB who can hurt you running the ball is more difficult to defend. That ability will get you 2-4 first downs a game when he scrambles for a first down. Both Hill and Mangum are good QBs and will be in the top 1/2 of QBs we see this year.
Wow, really? We still have to face Josh Rosen, Sefo Liufau, and Jake Browning. Also you can't count out Dakota Prukop, Anu Solomon, Davis Webb, and (if we get lucky enough to face Stanford) Ryan Burns. Even Max Browne/Sam Darnold will be deadly because of the talent surrounding them.

Hill and Magnum are certainly the two best QBs we will face until early October.

NorthwestUteFan
09-09-2016, 04:18 PM
They are certainly top 5-7 QBs we will face this year.

Also, congrats on the award SU. I still need to get you to sign my copy. Very enjoyable and enlightening read.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-09-2016, 04:40 PM
http://youtu.be/djujDEWGGEg

I just haven't been able to figure out of kccougar is the one on the left or the one on the right.

kccougar
09-09-2016, 04:46 PM
http://youtu.be/djujDEWGGEg

I just haven't been able to figure out of kccougar is the one on the left or the one on the right.

Ask mpfunk. He's obviously been stalking me.

Devildog
09-09-2016, 06:13 PM
It's funny to see the Cougs around here... after Saturday they will be gone for another year. Losing does that to 'em every time. This year isn't going to be any exception.

Utah
09-09-2016, 06:22 PM

Ask Stanford and Alabama what happens when you try to go Mano-a-Mano vs Utah.

There is one way to beat Utah: spread Utah out and beat them with speed.

And BYU ain't got speed.

Devildog
09-09-2016, 06:23 PM
It's kinda cute that they think they are gonna win this one. You know hope springs eternal especially with zoobs. I think they believe that the odds are on their side since they have lost five straight... I once placed a bet on black because it had gone red on the roulette wheel five times... the dealer looked at me and said, "I've seen so many people losing money betting against the streak, dude, you always bet on the streak". After the little ball landed... He collected my chips. This year I bet the streak continues.

Utah
09-09-2016, 06:25 PM

What's crazy is I thought this year was their year. We just lost Tui'kolovatu, Wilson, Booker, Scott, Paul, Norris, Whittingham, Covey, Carter...

GOT DAMN we have depth.

LA Ute
09-09-2016, 06:51 PM
It's kinda cute that they think they are gonna win this one. You know hope springs eternal especially with zoobs. I think they believe that the odds are on their side since they have lost five straight... I once placed a bet on black because it had gone red on the roulette wheel five times... the dealer looked at me and said, "I've seen so many people losing money betting against the streak, dude, you always bet on the streak". After the little ball landed... He collected my chips. This year I bet the streak continues.

I think that in their heart of hearts the BYU true believers think they are still the premier local football program. In their world Utah is just a bunch of usurpers who've lucked out over the last 10-15 games.

Devildog
09-09-2016, 07:07 PM
I think that in their heart of hearts the BYU true believers think they are still the premier local football program. In their world Utah is just a bunch of usurpers who've lucked out over the last 10-15 games.

They are delusional zoobs. A lot of these clowns were not even around in 1984. These Utes are bigger, and faster, and stronger, and better coached...again. This year the Utes win. It's almost boring now.

NorthwestUteFan
09-09-2016, 07:33 PM
I want to extend this streak to 9 years to match Lavell's best streak. Then we can take a break and lose one game, then start a 6-year win streak, and then Whitt can retire.

Truth is, if byu doesn't win this year or next, and they don't get into Big 12, then they might get left behind permanently and will win once or twice a decade on fluke plays.

It is kinda sad, in a way.

Sullyute
09-10-2016, 06:10 AM
Game day!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

concerned
09-10-2016, 07:10 AM
http://www.independentpublisher.com/article.php?page=2045

Some background on the award:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independent_Publisher_Book_Awards

That's terrific. Congratulations. Confirms that I did not waste my time reading it. (Tic. As I have said before, I enjoyed it quite a bit. )

Redbird
09-10-2016, 07:20 AM
Wow, really? We still have to face Josh Rosen, Sefo Liufau, and Jake Browning. Also you can't count out Dakota Prukop, Anu Solomon, Davis Webb, and (if we get lucky enough to face Stanford) Ryan Burns. Even Max Browne/Sam Darnold will be deadly because of the talent surrounding them.

Hill and Magnum are certainly the two best QBs we will face until early October.

Rosen and Liufau, yeah. Browning, sure. Max Browne has the pedigree, but not the experience or production. Prukop, Burns and Webb? not so much. We certainly don't have much room to slag off Solomon, considering his record/production against us.

I'd say Hill would be the 4th or 5th-best QB on our schedule.

LA Ute
09-10-2016, 08:22 AM
In the last match up Jamaal had something like 57 yards on 20 carries or so, I hear. So there's that.

kccougar
09-10-2016, 09:17 AM
In the last match up Jamaal had something like 57 yards on 20 carries or so, I hear. So there's that.

Shame on Jamaal for not hopping off the backboard and returning to the game, or so I hear.

http://img.deseretnews.com/images/article/mcontentimage/1231677/1231677.jpg

Redbird
09-10-2016, 09:58 AM
Lee Corso was the only person on CGD to pick Utah.

Ma'ake
09-10-2016, 10:18 AM

The way BYU fans are able to disregard contradictory information and hang together in a delusional bond, drawing on much of the same themes and mindsets of their religious faith, gives them strength, and aggravates those who see the phenomenon for what it is.

For LDS people who are not BYU fans, or not into athletics, it makes them irritated, because it "cheapens" their faith and religious feelings, applying it to something that is so far from deeply held feelings. It would be kind of like the Saudi Arabian soccer team generating support for their team at Mecca, or the Italian soccer team selling souvenirs at the Vatican.

BYU fans don't understand this perspective, of course, they're caught up in the common emotion of supporting their Cougs, or they find the irritation they generate to be amusing.

For non-LDS Ute fans, and other Utahns, it's the worst mixture of religion and sports - offensive, condescending, like multi-level marketing.

Back when the rivalry was badly lopsided, it was more of a LDS / anti-LDS event, open season for anti-Mormons. Nowadays, I think the biggest religious divide may be among Mormons.

I feel very fortunate to just be an observer on the deeper intra-LDS tensions. I'm more inclined to track down Coach K and get a bale or two of that Sweet Grass from Montana.

Ma'ake
09-10-2016, 10:20 AM
Lee Corso was the only person on CGD to pick Utah.

Whitt's motivational recipe just got a few levels stronger.

Redbird
09-10-2016, 10:22 AM
Whitt's motivational recipe just got a few levels stronger.

I don't know how Whitt would've motivated this team, if not for Dale Earnhardt Jr picking against Utah.

NorthwestUteFan
09-10-2016, 10:32 AM
Shame on Jamaal for not hopping off the backboard and returning to the game, or so I hear.

Shame on Bronco for refusing to teach his players to keep their head back and up.

FWIW we broke two players' necks that year (also hurt the RB at Oregon State, similar situation). Luckily both recovered.

This is Big Boy football. Act accordingly.

Applejack
09-10-2016, 10:34 AM
Shame on Bronco for refusing to teach his players to keep their head back and up.

FWIW we broke two players' necks that year (also hurt the RB at Oregon State, similar situation). Luckily both recovered.

LOL. C'mon, you just got trolled big time. your post is redonk.

SeattleUte
09-10-2016, 10:37 AM
That's terrific. Congratulations. Confirms that I did not waste my time reading it. (Tic. As I have said before, I enjoyed it quite a bit. )

Thanks. I've always really appreciated your support and encouragement in this.

NorthwestUteFan
09-10-2016, 10:41 AM
LOL. C'mon, you just got trolled big time. your post is redonk.
Don't you dare lecture me on how to Fan/reverse troll.

LA Ute
09-10-2016, 11:16 AM

LOL. I forgot about that. Serves me right for going on info I hear on Salt Lake sports talk radio.

Redbird
09-10-2016, 11:20 AM

:blink:

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-10-2016, 11:35 AM
A picture of the BYU women's soccer team this morning. Apparently Andy Phillips' little sister is on the team but I'm having trouble picking her out.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160910/9703c65f56ceb370d6611a985e88aa17.jpg

Diehard Ute
09-10-2016, 11:57 AM
A picture of the BYU women's soccer team this morning. Apparently Andy Phillips' little sister is on the team but I'm having trouble picking her out.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160910/9703c65f56ceb370d6611a985e88aa17.jpg

Someone on Utefans blew a gasket earlier this week as Andy was wearing a BYU soccer shirt to the Utah BYU game, knowing full well he was supporting his sister.

Applejack
09-10-2016, 12:07 PM
A couple of thins have me nervous about the offense this morning:

- The problems with the offensive line (low snaps, missed assignments, getting beat by smaller guys on the ends) have been discussed. I expect them to be cleaner in this game; if not, it could be a long day.
- Troy W. Generally, we didn't see a whole lot of Troy and what we did see gives me some reason for optimism. But two issues could plague him all year: his throws were not that accurate, a lot of catches were made that could have resulted in YAC, but because of the ball being over/underthrown were not; he danced around a lot, both in the pocket and when he ran. The accuracy thing is probably who he is. We just expect three missed balls a game. The dancing could be related to his o-line not protecting him, but when he runs it should be north-south and end with a slide, none of this trying to juke for an extra yard.
- I saw a lot of our skill players (McCormick, Singleton) make very athletic catches or runs, but fail to score because they fell or missed an easy cut. These come back to haunt us when what should be a 40 yard pass play and 7 points turns into a 35 yard pass play and 3 points. I'd like to see these cleaned up quite a bit.

On the positive side:

- tim Patrick. I've been kind of skeptical of him because (a) EVERYONE loves him and (b) he has done virtually nothing to deserve it. He appears to be the real deal, however. Loved his hands (for the most part) and how he fights for the ball. Deep balls are a plus too.
- Troy's decision making. For his first college game, he was very collected and made good decisions on third down. I like his moxy.
- It's nice to have McCormick back. Although I think he overruns plays, for the whole game he was our most effective back.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-10-2016, 12:10 PM
Someone on Utefans blew a gasket earlier this week as Andy was wearing a BYU soccer shirt to the Utah BYU game, knowing full well he was supporting his sister.

Sounds like something that would happen on uf.n.

On an unrelated note, I've been shocked at how little mention I've seen about the game on FB this week. I have a large portion of BYU fans in my feed and literally, the only thing I've seen posted all week was that really stupid video that Vanquish the Foe where they found a bunch of engineering students and made them agree to stupid things regarding the game. Saw that posted once. Other than that, silence. I've never seen it so quiet. Now, should we lose, it will be interesting to see how quickly that changes.

Devildog
09-10-2016, 12:24 PM
As game time approaches... I'm starting to think this is actually going to be an ass kicking. The week leading up to game time had me worrying slightly... but not anymore. I think the Utes are gonna kick the Zoobs ass.

Devildog
09-10-2016, 12:35 PM
I hope you are right. Utah could win 50 in a row, and I think I'd still get nervous about this game. It's written in my soul at this point.
Relax Sancho. Utes win easily.

Devildog
09-10-2016, 12:47 PM

Utah
09-10-2016, 01:00 PM
I'm getting more nervous as the day goes on. Our family has a text line and we all give a lot of good ribbing on there. Nothing mean, just good natured rivalry stuff. Except one brother in law. He never posts on there. Except once. After Utah lost to Gonzaga, he sent at least 20 texts ripping on Utah. The dude has some pent up issues with this game.

If BYU were to ever win again, I can only imagine what he'd send out. Our family might have our own little Max Hall moment. LOL.

Devildog
09-10-2016, 01:26 PM
I'm getting more nervous as the day goes on. Our family has a text line and we all give a lot of good ribbing on there. Nothing mean, just good natured rivalry stuff. Except one brother in law. He never posts on there. Except once. After Utah lost to Gonzaga, he sent at least 20 texts ripping on Utah. The dude has some pent up issues with this game.

If BYU were to ever win again, I can only imagine what he'd send out. Our family might have our own little Max Hall moment. LOL.

Your brother in law is gonna have to wait to post shit again. He is going to endure another losing Ybu effort again this year. Prepare your own text. Aim it at him.

NorthwestUteFan
09-10-2016, 02:03 PM
Get your BIL so riled up and mean that your sister 'cuts him off', if you know what I mean.

NorthwestUteFan
09-10-2016, 02:05 PM
Byu's bus is having troubles...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKLXbR6jIgc/

Devildog
09-10-2016, 02:33 PM
Byu's bus is having troubles...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKLXbR6jIgc/

This is the least of their worries... They are about to get their asses kicked on the Field. Kalani has seen this coming since fall camp. Really... there isn't anything he can do about it.

Diehard Ute
09-10-2016, 02:58 PM
Sounds like something that would happen on uf.n.

On an unrelated note, I've been shocked at how little mention I've seen about the game on FB this week. I have a large portion of BYU fans in my feed and literally, the only thing I've seen posted all week was that really stupid video that Vanquish the Foe where they found a bunch of engineering students and made them agree to stupid things regarding the game. Saw that posted once. Other than that, silence. I've never seen it so quiet. Now, should we lose, it will be interesting to see how quickly that changes.

So BYU soccer tweeted this photo this morning

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160910/c2120e008d019a308e33f8fab698b1fe.jpg

Apparently it's gotten enough negative play from BYU fans that Tom Holmoe tweeted that she "has his blessing" as Andy plays for the U

Both side have too many idiots.

NorthwestUteFan
09-10-2016, 02:59 PM
If we get to 6 in a row (and I believe that will happen today), can we consider this the restoration of all things? At the very least it is the return to the normal pecking order in the state.

10-3 since Lavell retired...

mpfunk
09-10-2016, 05:53 PM
Getting pressure rushing 4. We may already have enough points to win this game.

mpfunk
09-10-2016, 05:54 PM
F-ing he-double toothpicks. Pathetic, we should have been expecting that one.

mpfunk
09-10-2016, 06:03 PM
Yeah, time to see what someone else has at RB. We cannot keep having Williams fumble.

The only way we lose this game is turnovers. Time to stop turning it over.

mpfunk
09-10-2016, 06:31 PM
We really need to stop turning it over.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

LA Ute
09-10-2016, 06:35 PM
We really need to stop turning it over.

1-3 TO margin and it's not even halftime. Crowd's been taken out of the game

NorthwestUteFan
09-10-2016, 06:37 PM
That needs to change. Time for a grinding series ending in a TD.

Redbird
09-10-2016, 06:39 PM
It's the 4th quarter. Utah has turned the ball over 7 times and is down 12-7.

Devildog
09-10-2016, 06:51 PM
Take care of the f'n" football! I cannot believe the turnovers!

mpfunk
09-10-2016, 06:55 PM
Yeah that turnover by Williams may be what turns this game. Unacceptable.

Devildog
09-10-2016, 06:57 PM
This Utah turnover fest is unacceptable. Kyle's gonna blow a gasket. I personally want to kick A-rods ass.

Devildog
09-10-2016, 07:14 PM
Well here we are... we turned it over 4 times and we are still leading.

LA Ute
09-10-2016, 07:26 PM
Well here we are... we turned it over 4 times and we are still leading.

We are lucky not to be down by 21 pointS. We're also lucky to have the defense we do.

Utah
09-10-2016, 07:30 PM
Holy hades. If Zach Moss can hold onto the ball...our offense just got really good.

mpfunk
09-10-2016, 07:36 PM
Tyler Detmer is a horrible OC. He is bad enough to be an OC at Utah.

Devildog
09-10-2016, 07:39 PM
We are lucky not to be down by 21 pointS. We're also lucky to have the defense we do.

We are going to beat these clowns. But it sure would help if we get out of our own way. The turnovers are certainly not our style.

NorthwestUteFan
09-10-2016, 07:50 PM
I want to really some something impressive on this series.

Devildog
09-10-2016, 07:52 PM
Lets go Utes!

OrangeUte
09-10-2016, 07:54 PM
Wow. Hand holding PI not called

Devildog
09-10-2016, 07:57 PM
Well the Utah offense... is the Utah offense. Lame and weak. Here we go again. Thank god our defense is elite.

Devildog
09-10-2016, 08:11 PM
Elite defense. Wow, we would be dangerous if we had any offense.

mpfunk
09-10-2016, 08:12 PM
We are going to win this thing. Byu is a shitty team and won't go to a bowl.

Devildog
09-10-2016, 08:22 PM
We are going to win this thing. Byu is a shitty team and won't go to a bowl.

Our offense sucks. Lame ass turnover machine. Put in the backup QB... how could he turn the ball over more?

NorthwestUteFan
09-10-2016, 08:23 PM
I agree that targeting rule is awful. Thus us what happens when lawyers get involved...

Devildog
09-10-2016, 08:26 PM
Williams needs to grow up. This isn't division two ball. Jesus... stop throwing into traffic.

Devildog
09-10-2016, 08:28 PM
Seriously six fawkin turnovers?

Redbird
09-10-2016, 08:29 PM
Our offense sucks. Lame ass turnover machine. Put in the backup QB... how could he turn the ball over more?

Good news, it's not just our offense.

Devildog
09-10-2016, 08:31 PM
Six turnovers and we are still winning? Please flog Williams. Dude needs to take care of the fawkin' football.

NorthwestUteFan
09-10-2016, 08:34 PM
MAFU again

mpfunk
09-10-2016, 08:38 PM
We are what we are. We have a great defense. We have a pathetic offense. Go conservative in every game this year. Don't give the team a chance to even make mistakes. We will win 7-9 games and not win the south.

We are what we are. Now win this flipping game. We cannot lose to these pricks.

OrangeUte
09-10-2016, 08:38 PM
Thank heavens boobie held onto that one.

Devildog
09-10-2016, 08:41 PM
Thank god our defense rocks. Our offense is lame again. A-rod get your shit together... or be gone forever.

mpfunk
09-10-2016, 08:44 PM
Stop throwing deep with Williams. Just go zone-read with Moss the rest of the way. Just don't turn the ball over and run clock.

OrangeUte
09-10-2016, 08:46 PM
This is about as sloppy a game as I can remember Utah playing.

OrangeUte
09-10-2016, 08:51 PM
Moss is chewing this clock.

mpfunk
09-10-2016, 08:54 PM
Kick the FG. This isn't even a question.

NorthwestUteFan
09-10-2016, 08:56 PM
Thus has been an F. You. Drive.

Redbird
09-10-2016, 08:57 PM
Stanford 2013-esque. Finish it with a TD.

Devildog
09-10-2016, 08:59 PM
We are better than them, but we turned the ball over six fawkin times.

Devildog
09-10-2016, 09:07 PM
Our offense...

Jesus Christ our offense sucks. Every fawkin' year.

OrangeUte
09-10-2016, 09:13 PM
Our offense...

Jesus Christ our offense sucks. Every fawkin' year.

This.

Devildog
09-10-2016, 09:14 PM
Lets go D !

Devildog
09-10-2016, 09:20 PM
I wish I had 5 minutes with Aaron Roderick. Seriously.

Devildog
09-10-2016, 09:26 PM
Our offense sucks. We turned the ball over 6 times. The SAME NUMBER OF WINS WE HAVE IN A ROW.

Redbird
09-10-2016, 09:27 PM
Big win. 6 in a row. Plenty to improve on.

Brian
09-10-2016, 09:31 PM
Big win.
No idea how we win this.

Even when we suck, TDS sucks more.

Brian
09-10-2016, 09:33 PM
I wish I had 5 minutes with Aaron Roderick. Seriously.

No internet in prison.
We would miss your posts.

LA Ute
09-10-2016, 09:45 PM
How much flak will Kalani get for going for 2? Foolish decision IMO.

NorthwestUteFan
09-10-2016, 09:50 PM
The two targeting penalties were bullshit. Unfortunately that is how the rule is written.

And the missed horse collar on Smith was egregious. I hope he is healthy next week.

DrumNFeather
09-10-2016, 09:53 PM
Nah. Showed faith in his guys...for a young coach that's huge.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

OrangeUte
09-10-2016, 10:06 PM
Maybe, but did anyone think that call was going to be something other than a Hill keeper? I'm sure we all screamed it at the TV. "He's gonna keep it!" I know my, my wife, and my 9 year old son all saw it coming.

I thought he would take us to an edge and try to beat us instead of right at us.

I liked the call by sitake. He's building that program's confidence in him and this game was not a must win for him to do that.

Solon
09-10-2016, 10:13 PM
In general, I think it was the right call - on the road with all of the momentum, defense on its heels, and 2 yards to win the game. I like it.
The only "maybe you kick" qualifier was having Jamaal out - but he was out that entire last drive.

Kalani's mistake was calling timeout after the TD. Should've just gone for it right then & there.
At the very least, make Utah burn a TO.

NorthwestUteFan
09-10-2016, 10:15 PM
Going for 2 was the correct call.

I am second guessing Kyle's decision to kick the fg on 4th down. I think they could have done it if they lined right up.

But then Taysom would have win the game on the 2-minute drill, so...

NorthwestUteFan
09-10-2016, 10:16 PM
Ball security would have made this game a blowout.

hostile
09-10-2016, 10:17 PM
Wow. What a game. I told my dad this am I expected it to come down to the last drive. Just happy to come away with the win. From the looks on people's faces exiting the stadium the feeling was mutual. Our 11 min/19 play drive was a thing of beauty.

concerned
09-10-2016, 10:18 PM
I think Kalani thought his defense was too gassed to play overtime. On that last drive we held the ball for over 11 minutes, barely had to throw it.

Brian
09-10-2016, 10:18 PM
..... Jamaal out - but he was out that entire last drive.

He was? I didn't think I saw him out there.

concerned
09-10-2016, 10:20 PM
I am Changing my opinion as to which Y players would start for us. Taysom no question. He was magnificent that last Drive. So was detmers play calling. Jergens the receiver would also start for us. He catches the ball better than anybody we have

concerned
09-10-2016, 10:23 PM
Frustrating how close fumblin' joe was on that play, but you have to kick the FG there. I know it was just inches, but can you imagine if we get stuffed at the line? And we haven't been tested yet this season on 3rd/4th and inches.

Our TE (was it moei?) Would have had the first down and maybe more on the previous play, if his knee hasn't touched when he caught the ball. It was wide open in front of him.

hostile
09-10-2016, 10:25 PM
I am Changing my opinion as to which Y players would start for us. Taysom no question. He was magnificent that last Drive. So was detmers play calling. Jergens the receiver would also start for us. He catches the ball better than anybody we have
He made some amazing catches but did have a few drops of what appeared to be easy ones.

Utah
09-10-2016, 10:34 PM
Game stats:

363 total yards, 33 minutes of possession, 6-12 on 3rd down, 20 first downs. Just disappointing to only have one offensive TD.

With those stats, you'd think we won by 30. Freaking TO's.

concerned
09-10-2016, 10:35 PM
I wondered about their hard hitting LB, Pau'u or something.

Agreed, although Barton and Sione t.?? (No. 19) played very well too.

Utah
09-10-2016, 10:38 PM
Our TE (was it moei?) Would have had the first down and maybe more on the previous play, if his knee hasn't touched when he caught the ball. It was wide open in front of him.

Also, if Joe Williams had dove out of bounds for the first down, the game goes on. Joe Williams needs to toughen up BIG time.

Glad to see Moss come in and play so well. Take the opportunity. This may be the kick in the pants that Joe Williams needs.

Finally, both the safeties should have been tossed out of the game. Nacua had his head down and knocked Simpkins out of the game. That other kid knocked McCormick out of the game (I do believe). Neither play was a football play and both hits were intended to injure, which they did.

There is no place for that on the football field. Look how Williams hit BYU players. That is how you hit hard. Go look at how Blechen did it. Those are hard hitting football plays. BYU's plays were bush league. This isn't the 1950's anymore.