PDA

View Full Version : For tonight, we dine in Silicon Valley! 2016 Utes at Spartans

Redbird
09-11-2016, 07:54 PM
Utah opens as 13-point favorites. 7:30pm local time kickoff, on CBSC.

Utah is 6-1 all-time against SJSU. Their last meeting was a 56-3 Utah win at RES in 2010.

Diehard Ute
09-11-2016, 07:59 PM
Just checked their board. Mixed bag of comments, nothing real informative.

Did chuckle at one poster stating they're more athletic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoCalPat
09-12-2016, 09:00 AM
Utah opens as 13-point favorites. 7:30pm local time kickoff, on CBSC.

Utah is 6-1 all-time against SJSU. Their last meeting was a 56-3 Utah win at RES in 2010.

Interestingly, Utah was a 13-point favorite in our last meeting there, in 2009.

We played a very uneven game that night. Tied at 7 entering the 4th quarter, and even after two TDs, SJSU got within 7 before we salted game away with a FG with seconds left.

The 2010 version of SJSU was horrible.

I think Saturday's game falls in between those two. SJSU gave up 45 to Tulsa in a blowout loss, and beat FCS Portland State 66-35. So they're giving up 40 PPG. Scoring anything less than that would be a huge disappointment. We've got two games under our belt, we're playing a lesser foe than the week before, and while the game is on the road, we'll have plenty of fans there and SJSU won't. We should establish control early, lead by 17-21 at halftime at worst and win in the neighborhood of 45-17

Applejack
09-12-2016, 09:11 AM
SJSU gave up 45 to Tulsa in a blowout loss, and beat FCS Portland State 66-35. So they're giving up 40 PPG. Scoring anything less than that would be a huge disappointment. We've got two games under our belt, we're playing a lesser foe than the week before, and while the game is on the road, we'll have plenty of fans there and SJSU won't. We should establish control early, lead by 17-21 at halftime at worst and win in the neighborhood of 45-17

Prepare to be disappointed. Kyle's teams don't score 40 points (unless we are playing the Ducks!). I expect a semi-comfortable win, but the line is so close for a reason.

Applejack
09-12-2016, 09:13 AM
Just checked their board. Mixed bag of comments, nothing real informative.

Did chuckle at one poster stating they're more athletic.

Typical message board bluster, but they are more athletic than one might think. For instance, their starting tailback is a transfer from UW who actually started a few games for the Huskies. He's a 7th-year senior!!!! I think he went on a mission.

Rocker Ute
09-12-2016, 10:32 AM
I have blood ties to SJSU. Of course it is the side of the family I don't care for, so Go Utes.

DrumNFeather
09-12-2016, 12:14 PM
Reports on the Twitter are that Moss has been named the starter at RB for the SJSU game.

Whit made some very interesting comments in the post-game about his conversation with Dennis Erickson at half time. I love having Dennis around the program. Moss can be the hammer and Joe and Troy can be change of pace backs. The depth at that position is great, IMO.

DrumNFeather
09-12-2016, 01:00 PM
Yes, except Joe isn't really a change of pace back. We never try to get him outside. Maybe he can do that, but I haven't seen much of it. They claim he's super fast.

With his size and speed he has always seemed more like a 3rd down back to me, not a guy that can carry the load.

mUUser
09-12-2016, 01:56 PM
.....They claim he's super fast.

A former team mate I talked to yesterday claims he ran a 4.35. If true, that's ridiculous straight-line speed. Seems like we could find a way to get him involved without much ball risk....maybe he runs a dozen X-Jet on one routes every game....IDK?????

SoCalPat
09-12-2016, 02:48 PM
Prepare to be disappointed. Kyle's teams don't score 40 points (unless we are playing the Ducks!). I expect a semi-comfortable win, but the line is so close for a reason.

You mean like in our last non-conference game that we played in California?

Diehard Ute
09-12-2016, 04:41 PM
Reports on the Twitter are that Moss has been named the starter at RB for the SJSU game.

Whit made some very interesting comments in the post-game about his conversation with Dennis Erickson at half time. I love having Dennis around the program. Moss can be the hammer and Joe and Troy can be change of pace backs. The depth at that position is great, IMO.

That must be news to Kyle. He says it's an open competition this week as Moss deserves a chance. But Moss missed so much time he's out of shape so he has to earn it in practice.

LA Ute
09-12-2016, 04:44 PM
Tauteoli is PAC-12 Defensive Player of the week. This sort of belongs in this thread, I think. The BYU game is in the past.

https://www.facebook.com/uathletics/posts/10154483012460960

HuskyFreeNorthwest
09-13-2016, 12:20 PM
Why are you guys going to San Jose?

Applejack
09-13-2016, 12:29 PM

Vacation. We get to sight see and be tourists in one of America's great cities!

NorthwestUteFan
09-13-2016, 12:57 PM
Fun fact: in 1968 SJSU was in the WAC. That year in a protest against racial discrimination at byu, the black players refused to play byu, and also the fans refused attend the game vs byu.

BYU lost the game to SJSU (minus their black players) in an empty stadium.

For reference, byu beat SJSU 67-3 the previous year and 21-3 the following year. But in 1968, the righteous Spartans prevailed.

NorthwestUteFan
09-13-2016, 01:04 PM

LA is a great big freeway
Put a hundred down and buy a car
In a week, maybe two, they will make you a star
Weeks turn into years. How quickly they pass.
All the stars that never were
Are parking cats and pumping gas.

You can really breathe in San Jose
They've got a lot of space
There'll be a place where I can start
I was born and raised in San Jose
I'm going back to find some peace of mind in San Jose!

(Courtesy of Hal David and Burt Bacharach)

Diehard Ute
09-13-2016, 02:58 PM

Because we know the way to San Jose

Utah
09-14-2016, 02:15 PM
What I want to see Saturday:

Don't turn the ball over.
I want our defense to get their "four and a score" goal.
300+ yards rushing. I want Moss, McCormick and Shyne to each get 100 yards.
Troy to have 250 yards passing.

From our offense, I want us to quit dicking around with the pass game. I get it, we are trying to get Troy experience. That's great. Let's start playing Utah football.

Let's line up on first down and run the ball down SJSU's throat. I'd say on our first drive of the game, no passes. Establish our physical nature.

Then, play action, some sweep runs, some quick passes to B-B in the flat.

Then, run, run, run, and run some more.

Let's put this together and have a nice, clean game this year.

Solon
09-14-2016, 03:34 PM
What I want to see Saturday:

I want our defense to get their "four and a score" goal.
300+ yards rushing. I want Moss, McCormick and Shyne to each get 100 yards.
Troy to have 250 yards passing.

From our offense, I want us to quit dicking around with the pass game. I get it, we are trying to get Troy experience. That's great. Let's start playing Utah football.

Let's line up on first down and run the ball down SJSU's throat. I'd say on our first drive of the game, no passes. Establish our physical nature.

Then, play action, some sweep runs, some quick passes to B-B in the flat.

Then, run, run, run, and run some more.

Let's put this together and have a nice, clean game this year.

I want to see third-down conversions. I would also be happy with second-down conversions.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-14-2016, 04:11 PM
I'd love to see a penalty free outing by our first string oline.

Rocker Ute
09-15-2016, 08:33 AM
I'd love to see a penalty free outing by our first string oline.

The numerous false starts is perplexing.

Diehard Ute
09-15-2016, 09:20 AM
The numerous false starts is perplexing.

Just went through the play by play of last weeks game. Only 2 false starts. And one has no player listed and is one I couldn't see anyone move on the replay.

Utah
09-15-2016, 11:34 AM
I think as Bolles continues to improve, our OL will get better by leaps and bounds.

UBlender
09-15-2016, 09:34 PM
Just went through the play by play of last weeks game. Only 2 false starts. And one has no player listed and is one I couldn't see anyone move on the replay.

Our first offensive play of the game, BYU came out in something resembling Gary Anderson's "circus" defense. Sam Tevi got jumpy and drew the flag. The other false start was called on Bolles, though it didn't look like he moved at all on replay.

Diehard Ute
09-15-2016, 09:43 PM
Our first offensive play of the game, BYU came out in something resembling Gary Anderson's "circus" defense. Sam Tevi got jumpy and drew the flag. The other false start was called on Bolles, though it didn't look like he moved at all on replay.

I thought Bolles Unsportsmanlike and Holding penalties were bogus.

Utah
09-15-2016, 09:48 PM
I thought Bolles Unsportsmanlike and Holding penalties were bogus.

Both of his calls were trash. As much as BYU fan likes to whine about the refs, the refs killed us even more. The stupid BYU fans are too dumb to realize that the refs did more good for them than they did for us.

On the last INT, Troy Williams was hit late...Oh, and the PF on the INT? Should have given the ball back to Utah. So, that last INT should have been Utah's ball on two separate calls, neither of which the refs got right.

And Tim Patrick was held on another TD on a perfectly thrown ball by Troy to Patrick. Should have been PI and Utah gotten the ball with a first down.

Those are two calls that had they been called correctly, Utah probably wins by 10.

But, yeah, let's whine about the refs and the PF targeting calls, even though technically, they were the correct calls.

DrumNFeather
09-16-2016, 06:56 AM
Both of his calls were trash. As much as BYU fan likes to whine about the refs, the refs killed us even more. The stupid BYU fans are too dumb to realize that the refs did more good for them than they did for us.

On the last INT, Troy Williams was hit late...Oh, and the PF on the INT? Should have given the ball back to Utah. So, that last INT should have been Utah's ball on two separate calls, neither of which the refs got right.

And Tim Patrick was held on another TD on a perfectly thrown ball by Troy to Patrick. Should have been PI and Utah gotten the ball with a first down.

Those are two calls that had they been called correctly, Utah probably wins by 10.

But, yeah, let's whine about the refs and the PF targeting calls, even though technically, they were the correct calls.

Plus the horse collar on Smith that wasn't called that lead to him exiting the game.

As for Saturday night, I want to see us take a bunch of shots down field.

Diehard Ute
09-16-2016, 08:47 AM
Plus the horse collar on Smith that wasn't called that lead to him exiting the game.

As for Saturday night, I want to see us take a bunch of shots down field.

The secondary is actually SJSU's strength. They're awful against the run

DrumNFeather
09-16-2016, 08:54 AM

Hmm...still, you'd hope that our guys could win against that secondary if they hope to do so next week vs. USC and beyond.

Diehard Ute
09-16-2016, 09:13 AM
Hmm...still, you'd hope that our guys could win against that secondary if they hope to do so next week vs. USC and beyond.

I think we can, but I think the goal should be to destroy their weakness rather than attack their strength.

In two games they've surrendered 500 yards on 5 YPC

NorthwestUteFan
09-16-2016, 09:26 AM
This game should be a McCormick and Moss party.

Applejack
09-16-2016, 09:59 AM
I the thread title a reference to something I should understand? dining options in Silicon Valley are pretty corporate, fwiw.

Diehard Ute
09-16-2016, 10:00 AM
I the thread title a reference to something I should understand? dining options in Silicon Valley are pretty corporate, fwiw.

http://youtu.be/xRrrfSIgfKI

chrisrenrut
09-16-2016, 10:14 AM
A "middle-out" reference would have been more funny, and possibly more obscure.

DrumNFeather
09-16-2016, 10:20 AM
I had thought about "Meet the Spartans."

Applejack
09-16-2016, 10:28 AM
http://youtu.be/xRrrfSIgfKI

Yes, guess I missed that documentary.

U-Ute
09-16-2016, 10:38 AM
Yes, guess I missed that documentary.

The true story that this is based on is quite fascinating.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Thermopylae

Applejack
09-16-2016, 11:23 AM
OK, it's almost gameday. If anyone is travelling to the game, here are a few tips I learned last time in San Jose.

1. You don't need a jacket. I haven't checked the weather, but trust me on this one.
2. Parking is a cinch! You can park two blocks from the stadium (in all directions) FOR FREE. Don't fall for the guys asking for $5 for parking.
3. San Jose State fans are a colorful bunch. Think New Mexico fans mixed with SDSU fans. There is a reason they aren't Stanford fans.
4. You can move about freely once you get in the "stadium". Are your seats in the bleachers? You can move to the open bleachers closer to the field. If someone has those seats just move into the empty ones right next to you.
5. Not a lot of great concessions at the "stadium", but they serve their slop with gusto.
6. Never, ever confuse the Spartans with their arch-rival Trojans of Southern Cal. The two teams hate each other!
7. Again, expect perfect weather.

Should be a good game. If we have 3 100+ yard rushers as Utah predicts, I predict a victory!

Rocker Ute
09-16-2016, 11:36 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PvmaYf49Us

Some things to do and remember while in San Jose:

- LA is a great big freeway
- Put a $100 down and buy a car
- In a week maybe two they'll make you a star
- Weeks turn into years, how quick they pass
- All the stars that never were are parking cars and pumping gas.
- You can really breath in San Jose
- They've got a lot of space, there'll be a place where you can stay.
- Fame and fortune is a magnet, it can take you far from home.
- With a dream in your heart you are never alone.

I've got lots of friends in San Jose.

Diehard Ute
09-16-2016, 12:01 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PvmaYf49Us

Some things to do and remember while in San Jose:

- LA is a great big freeway
- Put a $100 down and buy a car
- In a week maybe two they'll make you a star
- Weeks turn into years, how quick they pass
- All the stars that never were are parking cars and pumping gas.
- You can really breath in San Jose
- They've got a lot of space, there'll be a place where you can stay.
- Fame and fortune is a magnet, it can take you far from home.
- With a dream in your heart you are never alone.

I've got lots of friends in San Jose.

What does LA have to do with San Jose?

Diehard Ute
09-16-2016, 12:02 PM
OK, it's almost gameday. If anyone is travelling to the game, here are a few tips I learned last time in San Jose.

1. You don't need a jacket. I haven't checked the weather, but trust me on this one.
2. Parking is a cinch! You can park two blocks from the stadium (in all directions) FOR FREE. Don't fall for the guys asking for $5 for parking.
3. San Jose State fans are a colorful bunch. Think New Mexico fans mixed with SDSU fans. There is a reason they aren't Stanford fans.
4. You can move about freely once you get in the "stadium". Are your seats in the bleachers? You can move to the open bleachers closer to the field. If someone has those seats just move into the empty ones right next to you.
5. Not a lot of great concessions at the "stadium", but they serve their slop with gusto.
6. Never, ever confuse the Spartans with their arch-rival Trojans of Southern Cal. The two teams hate each other!

Should be a good game. If we have 3 100+ yard rushers as Utah predicts, I predict a victory!

Their fans have blamed the "heat" for their poor attendance last week. Someone then pointed out it was a high of 82. It was hotter for Utah's two games haha.

DrumNFeather
09-16-2016, 12:19 PM

:onalimb:

Applejack
09-16-2016, 12:48 PM
:onalimb:

I said IF we have three 100+ yard rushers then ​we will win. Preparing for the swish.

Rocker Ute
09-16-2016, 01:22 PM
What does LA have to do with San Jose?

Put a $100 down and buy a car.

DrumNFeather
09-16-2016, 01:26 PM
I said IF we have three 100+ yard rushers then ​we will win. Preparing for the swish.

I think we get 1 - Zac Moss

Troy goes for about 75

Shyne gets the mop up and finishes with 70

U-Ute
09-16-2016, 02:15 PM

Do we even have 3 rushers?

Diehard Ute
09-16-2016, 02:46 PM
Do we even have 3 rushers?

We've played 4 this year, and still have Manolo, so that's 4 left with Williams retiring.

UTEopia
09-16-2016, 03:02 PM

I heard the play-by-play guy on the radio and he said that nobody can really be sure how good the secondary is because the run defense has been so bad nobody has been forced to throw.

Diehard Ute
09-16-2016, 03:16 PM
I heard the play-by-play guy on the radio and he said that nobody can really be sure how good the secondary is because the run defense has been so bad nobody has been forced to throw.

Probably true. Tulsa put up 300 yards on the ground. Why throw?

Diehard Ute
09-17-2016, 06:55 PM
So, SJSU fans crowing about their 66 points against Portland State have had their air let out a bit. Washington has 28 on PSU in 16 minutes.

Diehard Ute
09-17-2016, 07:33 PM
Tyrone Smith and Sam Tevi are not dressed.

Utah
09-17-2016, 07:51 PM
Time for Barton to seize his opportunity

1MNUte
09-17-2016, 07:58 PM
Any options for chatting or during or conversing during the game tonight? Is the best way just to follow this thread?

Diehard Ute
09-17-2016, 08:00 PM
Goon reporting both Smith and Tevi have minor injuries and the coaching staff is being cautious

mpfunk
09-17-2016, 08:05 PM
Any options for chatting or during or conversing during the game tonight? Is the best way just to follow this thread?
Follow this thread. Fair warning though, I occasionally will use salty language if things are not going well.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

chrisrenrut
09-17-2016, 08:08 PM

This thread. Hopefully an away game will have more comments than a home game, which is mostly just Funk's despair.

Utah
09-17-2016, 08:11 PM

I know that UteHub.com has a decent chat during the game. There is usually 5+ people on there.

Diehard Ute
09-17-2016, 08:15 PM
I have to head into work just after kickoff so I won't be around much to comment.

Brian
09-17-2016, 08:27 PM
Have they announced Chanel if other game goes to overtimr?

Diehard Ute
09-17-2016, 08:30 PM
Have they announced Chanel if other game goes to overtimr?

They just won't show ours until it's over most likely.

HooperUte
09-17-2016, 08:40 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/video/player/live

Applejack
09-17-2016, 08:45 PM
Follow this thread. Fair warning though, I occasionally will use salty language if things are not going well.

...pr if things are going well.

chrisrenrut
09-17-2016, 08:50 PM
CBB with a big run, then a likely concussion?

chrisrenrut
09-17-2016, 08:53 PM
Andy getting some of his automatic-ness back.

NorthwestUteFan
09-17-2016, 09:04 PM
Not looking very good right now

NorthwestUteFan
09-17-2016, 09:05 PM
Wow, nice turnaround there!

NorthwestUteFan
09-17-2016, 09:06 PM
Never pick up a punt when somebody is in your face.

chrisrenrut
09-17-2016, 09:06 PM
Finally on the tv screen! 3:32 left in the 1st quarter.

chrisrenrut
09-17-2016, 09:15 PM
Never pick up a punt when somebody is in your face.

Hopefully that is Boobie's mantra as well.

chrisrenrut
09-17-2016, 09:22 PM
Some questionable penalties so far. The roughing and now that PI.

mpfunk
09-17-2016, 09:23 PM
Yeah, I think we are going to have to play better than this. So far, not sure there is anything good that can be said about the offense or defense in this game.

LA Ute
09-17-2016, 09:29 PM
Just tuned in. What's been going wrong?

mpfunk
09-17-2016, 09:32 PM
Just tuned in. What's been going wrong?
Everything.

Utah
09-17-2016, 09:33 PM
Our OL is beyond terrible. That's about 90% of the problem. This is Harding's third year...and we still suck.

LA Ute
09-17-2016, 09:35 PM
What happened to our 3rd-ranked defense?

chrisrenrut
09-17-2016, 09:36 PM
1st downs, Utah 2, SJSU 10
Penalties, Utah 5 for 50 yards, SJSU 0 (and utah's have all seemed to extend Spartan drives.

chrisrenrut
09-17-2016, 09:38 PM
Running game!

chrisrenrut
09-17-2016, 09:41 PM
Gave our defense all of 1:35 to catch their breath.

The D needs to help themselves, and not allow long drives. Get a 3 and out, or a turnover.

chrisrenrut
09-17-2016, 09:44 PM
The D needs to help themselves, and not allow long drives. Get a 3 and out, or a turnover.

Yeah, like that! Make the offense complain about no rest time..

LA Ute
09-17-2016, 09:44 PM
As soon as I started watching we started playing better. You're welcome.

mpfunk
09-17-2016, 09:45 PM
Nice of the team to finally show up.

chrisrenrut
09-17-2016, 09:47 PM
As soon as I started watching we started playing better. You're welcome.

So you are also to blame for the slow start.

LA Ute
09-17-2016, 09:48 PM
So you are also to blame for the slow start.

I can't be everywhere. Your guys need to pull your weight.

LA Ute
09-17-2016, 09:56 PM
Well, we kind of feared a bad snap would happen sooner or later.

concerned
09-17-2016, 09:57 PM
I just realized that the CBS Sports television feed is a couple of minutes late. Twitter is a couple minutes four five plays ahead.

LA Ute
09-17-2016, 09:58 PM
Field position reversal there....

mpfunk
09-17-2016, 10:02 PM
Bad call on the field. That was a pick. Probably not enough to overturn.

chrisrenrut
09-17-2016, 10:04 PM
I just realized that the CBS Sports television feed is a couple of minutes late. Twitter is a couple minutes four five plays ahead.

Yeah, even Gametracker is a couple of plays ahead. Weird.

mpfunk
09-17-2016, 10:09 PM
Alright. We have settled down and we can now start the blowout

Brian
09-17-2016, 10:18 PM
Slow start both sides, but strong finish.
Bird is fast. Some nice throws by Troy.

U-Ute
09-17-2016, 10:19 PM
Utah offense is so inconsistent. One drive Jekyl, one drive Hyde.

chrisrenrut
09-17-2016, 10:40 PM
Wow, how many sacks might we end up with tonight? Seems we are getting a couple each possession.

NorthwestUteFan
09-17-2016, 10:47 PM
Tim Patrick looks great tonight

LA Ute
09-17-2016, 10:49 PM
Tim Patrick looks great tonight

Yes. O-line not so much.

LA Ute
09-17-2016, 10:50 PM
Another bad decision by Troy.

mpfunk
09-17-2016, 10:50 PM
Gosh Darn it Williams. Don't f-ing throw picks in the red zone.

NorthwestUteFan
09-17-2016, 10:55 PM
Woof. Chase Hansen just broke their QB

Dude hit a brick wall right there.

LA Ute
09-17-2016, 11:20 PM
Ute RBs need more strip drills.

chrisrenrut
09-17-2016, 11:36 PM
Shyne has been running pretty violently tonight.

LA Ute
09-18-2016, 12:14 AM
255 yards passing, 201 rushing. Lots of chunk plays. Held SJSU to 56 rushing. They did get 250+ passing, though. Still, we'll be fine with that offensive output if we can do it against PAC-12 teams.

UTEopia
09-18-2016, 07:55 AM
This had all the signs of a trap game and it was a trap game. The Utes seemed to lack energy and focus. The offense must have sore feet from shooting them so frequently. Penalties and turnovers really have prevented the offense from having any consistency. I watched a little of Oregon, USC, UCLA and Cal. While none of them are world beaters, the Utes will need to be much better than we have been in order to finish where we all hope to finish. Here are my grades. I hope and expect a better effort against USC. While USC has many issues of its own, it has great players at most positions on the field and the Utes will need to clean things up in order to come up with the W.

QB: B. Williams cannot afford to continue to make poor decisions in the redzone. We have survived those plays against SJSU and BYU but will not against better teams. For the most part I like his pocket presence.

RB: B. Not great. All need to run more physically. I agreed with the commentator who said that Shyne looked like he was tip toeing with his eyes closed on the runs at the goal line prior to Williams interception. I have been very disappointed with our inability to get tough yards in short yardage situations.

OL: B. Is it just me or does Isaac Asiata seem to get beat more than he should. I really believe he is the weak link on the OL. I thought Barton played well. The OL will need to elevate their game to give the offense a fighting chance against USC.

DL: B+. I thought we controlled the running game with the exception of a couple of QB runs. Although we finished with 10 sacks, much of the time we were forced to blitz to get pressure. If we cannot get pressure with the front 4 and need to rely on the blitz we will undoubtedly give up a few big plays.

LB: B. Solid performance across the board. I think this group is getting better.

DB: B+. Two picks. Decent coverage most of the night. The one area we need to improve on is tackling. Too many missed tackles.

Devildog
09-18-2016, 08:24 AM
Ten sacks. That's a lot, right?

Sancho, these guys are a tune up game. USC for all their faults... is talented.#hashtagbuyafawkinclue,

Rocker Ute
09-18-2016, 09:08 AM
I hope I am dreadfully wrong, and I hate to be that guy but it is probable that we are just not that good this year.

Whit coached teams have always played to the level of their competition but we have some pretty egregious issues that if they haven't been fixed three games into the season likely won't be fixed.

Williams is a better QB but makes poor decisions and only feels more accurate because Wilson wasn't. Our WRs need to be able to grab and come down with anything that is remotely by them and can't seem to.

I watched the Ole Miss / Bama game and realized what it is like to have great receivers and a QB. Tim Patrick is good but I doubt he makes either team. Seemingly big drop off from Patrick to the other receivers.

Our OL is perplexing. They should be better than they are. Our RBs are fair-to-middlin' but I don't know they are getting the holes they need to rush. There are very few easier defenses left on our schedule than what we've seen.

I might argue that our play calling has been okay but isn't playing to the strengths of this team, or rather is not covering our weaknesses. We need the OL to step up so we can hit our TEs more and rely on them for protection less.

Defense is stout but can't be on the field 75% of the game.

Sorry to be so negative, but I was counting on SJSU to finally get the issues ironed out and many were not.

concerned
09-18-2016, 09:14 AM
I also have revised my expectations downward considerably. I just don't see how we're going to be able to move the ball against good competition. You put Adore Jackson on Tim Patrick and who else is going to catch the ball? Singleton is Dreadful. How are we going to get sustained drives? It's either a big chunk play or three and out. I agree that Williams decision making is going to get us into trouble down the road

Utah
09-18-2016, 09:48 AM
Our defense is amazing.

Our offense sucks.

We look like a 7 win team.

Utebiquitous
09-18-2016, 10:12 AM
I share in the frustrations expressed about our team so far but let's not draw hard and fast conclusions yet. This team will continue to get better. We have talented and intelligent players up and down the rosters with an excellent coaching staff that is working well together.

Utah
09-18-2016, 10:18 AM
I'm not frustrated. Not at all. I've been saying for two years we will struggle this year. Troy has to get a lot better in the red zone and it looks like he is what he is.

Our OL is disappointing again. Harding had a lot of love in the past but that shine is fading. We have bodies. Why is it so hard to find a good OL coach?

Our defense is championship caliber.

Moss, Patrick and Butler-Byrd are legit.

concerned
09-18-2016, 10:46 AM
I also have revised my expectations downward considerably. I just don't see how we're going to be able to move the ball against good competition. You put Adore Jackson on Tim Patrick and who else is going to catch the ball? Singleton is Dreadful. How are we going to get sustained drives? It's either a big chunk play or three and out. I agree that Williams decision making is going to get us into trouble down the road

Although I forgot the Tyrone Smith didn't play last night. Maybe he will make a big difference when he gets back. Knock on wood it's this week

U-Ute
09-18-2016, 10:57 AM
I'm not concerned. The d is what we hoped it was and the offense is improving.

Williams looking more comfortable, the O-Line is improving, Patrick is who we thought he was, the emergence of Moss and Shyne looks good.

In short, the D is way ahead and the offense is improving. Nobody in the south looks unbeatable yet.

I don't see why we can't get to 9 wins.

SoCalPat
09-18-2016, 11:03 AM
There would be next to zero angst over this team if we weren't such a horrible red zone team.

Utah is 111th in red zone scores (TD or FG). 118th in TD percentage. But we're 32nd in red zone attempts. So this team is leaving a shit-ton of points on the board.

Utah is also 85th in penalties, and I don't need to look up that the O-line is the most penalized unit on the team. To be fair, it's probably that way on most teams. Advanced analytics would probably disclose that O-line penalties are costing us 3 points per game, minimum. As UTEopia noted earlier, it's very likely that we are just not a good short-yardage run team.

Utah is 76th in turnover margin. At our current pace, this would be the worst mark for a Kyle-coached team ever.

We're a good team between the 20s because of chunk plays. We pile up a respectable number of yards in spite of a number of empty possessions -- we've got to be a top 20 team in turnovers+punts. But we're not scoring points at a corresponding rate to yardage and everything past that is window dressing. Maybe it's our collective youth at the skill positions, maybe it's coaching. We could be in a worse position, but we've got too many flaws to think we can win the South outright.

SeattleUte
09-18-2016, 11:13 AM
I'm not concerned. The d is what we hoped it was and the offense is improving.

Williams looking more comfortable, the O-Line is improving, Patrick is who we thought he was, the emergence of Moss and Shyne looks good.

In short, the D is way ahead and the offense is improving. Nobody in the south looks unbeatable yet.

I don't see why we can't get to 9 wins.

I agree. We can even do better than 9 wins with the schedule we have. Come on. We changed out all of our skill players. Is it surprising with this and with this coach that the defense ahead of the offense. Clearly Williams can qb at this level, which is always a question mark with that most important position. We have several options at rb. I think they'll run Williams when they play a game that really means something and decide to add an option.

It all depends on Troy Williams. If he develops and avoids mistakes, we can have a good season.

U-Ute
09-18-2016, 11:24 AM
I'll give you: ASU, Arizona, Colorado, Oregon State, Cal.

USC, Washington, UCLA: pick two to get us to 10.

Plus I still have PTSD about the Arizona schools. Especially Arizona. It is a bad matchup for us. Playing them makes me feel like we did when we played Air Force: just a bad matchup for us no matter how bad they are.

LA Ute
09-18-2016, 11:25 AM
I agree. We can even do better than 9 wins with the schedule we have. Come on. We changed out all of our skill players. Is it surprising with this and with this coach that the defense ahead of the offense. Clearly Williams can qb at this level, which is always a question mark with that most important position. We have several options at rb. I think they'll run Williams when they play a game that really means something and decide to add an option.

It all depends on Troy Williams. If he develops and avoids mistakes, we can have a good season.

I agree with Seattle Ute.

Utah
09-18-2016, 12:44 PM
I think this will start to balance out.

People complaining about the offensive line and short yardage situations are forgetting that the line wasn't there last year either. It was Booker that got us the short yardage conversions, hole or not hole (usually no hole). That's the big difference.

We were picked to finish 3rd in the south. Who wins it? From least to most likely:

1) Arizona. Classic RichRod Wildcats. Start slow. Almost lose to an FCS team. Then start to put it together. By midseason, they'll be averaging 250 yards on the ground like usual.
2) CU. Not sure what Liufau's status is now. They sure appear to be legitimately good.
3) ASU. Nobody knows yet what this team is. It's still wait and see.
4) Utah. A stronger defense than 1-3 on this list. Offense hopefully coming around. As SoCal said, this team is leaving a lot of points on the field. If we start putting some of those on the scoreboard, we have a chance.
5) USC. Here on talent alone. Has yet to do much with it.
6) UCLA. Looking like the best defense in the south, and defense wins championships.

Look at the list, though. The south seems as open as it could possibly be.

The south is wide open. Here is my question. We've fired the WR coach. We've fired about a million OC's.

Every since Tim Davis left, our OL has been average at best. How do we fix that? Our OL currently has Asiata, who has NFL potential. Bolles, a five star JC kid. JJ Dielman, an All PAC-12 player.

We have talent. We should be a top three OL in the PAC-12. What's the problem there?

SoCalPat
09-18-2016, 12:46 PM
I agree with Seattle Ute.

I want to be excited about this team's prospects, but I'm just not there yet. If we can solidly beat USC, I could get there. I see only one road game in which we'll be solid favorites (OSU). I see one home game in which we'll be an underdog (Washington). We're a middle of the pack Pac-12 team. We'll get to 7 wins minimum, but we gotta get better in several areas to become a legit South contender.

LA Ute
09-18-2016, 01:05 PM
I want to be excited about this team's prospects, but I'm just not there yet. If we can solidly beat USC, I could get there. I see only one road game in which we'll be solid favorites (OSU). I see one home game in which we'll be an underdog (Washington). We're a middle of the pack Pac-12 team. We'll get to 7 wins minimum, but we gotta get better in several areas to become a legit South contender.

Rationally I can find 4 games left on our schedule that I see as reasonably likely wins for us: Oregon State, Arizona, ASU, and Colorado (and any one of those could go south). That would put us at 7 wins.

I'm just choosing to be hopeful/optimistic about 2-3 more games: USC, Cal, UCLA. Maybe Oregon.

But what's a sports fan to do if he or she can't be hopeful and optimistic?

UTEopia
09-18-2016, 01:37 PM
Will we ever call runs for troy?

No. Despite being labeled a dual threat QB. He is not. He is a pocket passer with good mobility. He is not that fast. Travis was a better runner.

Redbird
09-18-2016, 02:50 PM
Rationally I can find 4 games left on our schedule that I see as reasonably likely wins for us: Oregon State, Arizona, ASU, and Colorado (and any one of those could go south). That would put us at 7 wins.

I'm just choosing to be hopeful/optimistic about 2-3 more games: USC, Cal, UCLA. Maybe Oregon.

But what's a sports fan to do if he or she can't be hopeful and optimistic?

we gotta beat Arizona first. every time we've played them in the P12, there's been a lot on the line, and they were better than us.

LA Ute
09-18-2016, 02:54 PM
we gotta beat Arizona first. every time we've played them in the P12, there's been a lot on the line, and they were better than us.

Agreed. That's why I said it is only "reasonably likely" we will beat them, and that we still might have a bad game.

Applejack
09-18-2016, 03:02 PM
No. Despite being labeled a dual threat QB. He is not. He is a pocket passer with good mobility. He is not that fast. Travis was a better runner.

Agreed. Not a threat to run at all. Travis was a much bigger threat.

I think the thing I've seen in every game is an inability to finish drives. It's not so much about the "throw game" or the "run game" but it's about finishing drives with 7 (or 6 if you are Oregon) instead of 3. That is OK against SUU, BYU, and SJSU, but it is a no-no versus anyone in the PAC. I am dubious that we can make any big adjustments. Other than Patrick, I'm not sure what options we have near the goaline.

LA Ute
09-18-2016, 03:39 PM
Hey, at least we've stopped spotting our opponents 7 points on their first offensive series of each game. So far.

Diehard Ute
09-18-2016, 03:54 PM

But even if he were Kyle publicly said we've removed most of the QB run game due to lack of depth with Cox transfer.

SeattleUte
09-18-2016, 11:25 PM
I read Wilner's predictions not until today. They made me feel better, as he expected SJS to give us a game.