PDA

View Full Version : Trojan War - Utah vs. USC 2016

DrumNFeather
09-19-2016, 08:57 AM
It's a short week, so let's get this thread going.

USC comes in at 1-2 having defeated our friends to the North 45-7, and having looked totally over-matched against top 10 Stanford and Alabama. So which team shows up on Friday night?

I think USC put a lot into that Stanford effort, and though we are only 3 games in, the season is slowly slipping away from them. Had this game been at home like last year, I think Helton could possibly rally them. My hope here is that our DL will continue to be the difference against their O-line.

Williams has not been spectacular, but he's been steady. He'll face an opportunistic USC defense and MUST take care of the football. Moss, Shyne, and McCormick should all see work as we look to control the clock and move the chains.

Will Kyle nab win #99 this week? I believe so.

Utah
09-19-2016, 09:16 AM
I hope so. USC and Arizona. I always expect a loss.

USC has to be the dumbest school ever. Why Whitt isn't their coach absolutely blows me away. He's never lose.

Could imagine his defense and run game with those players? Wowza.

I'm thankful everyday for USC's arrogance and stupidity.

U-Ute
09-19-2016, 09:26 AM
A big part of the problem has to be that 75% of the guys on the team have an eye on the NFL draft after they lose a game.

Whether or not their belief is legitimate is irrelevant.

DrumNFeather
09-19-2016, 09:27 AM
I hope so. USC and Arizona. I always expect a loss.

USC has to be the dumbest school ever. Why Whitt isn't their coach absolutely blows me away. He's never lose.

Could imagine his defense and run game with those players? Wowza.

I'm thankful everyday for USC's arrogance and stupidity.

They went with the guy the players wanted...and I suspect he'll get canned after this year unless he wins the South again. Jeff Fisher could be available and he wouldn't even have to move offices!

mUUser
09-19-2016, 09:51 AM
....Jeff Fisher could be available and he wouldn't even have to move offices!

Tom Herman, signed, sealed and delivered. They'd make a Pete Carroll type run with Herman. Yikes.

Utah
09-19-2016, 10:07 AM
There is a guy/gal named afro14 on UFN who made a pretty good post and I wanted to share it:

Troy Williams and the receiving corps vs USC's secondary:

Through three games, it appears as if the passing game is much improved. Apart from some questionable decisions by Troy Williams that have led to turnovers, the passing game looks much more diverse and explosive. Tim Patrick has emerged as a go-to receiver and the return of Cory Butler-Byrd makes the group that much more dangerous. Hopefully Tyrone Smith will be healthy for this game, and Singleton, Fulks, and the tight ends will need to make more plays to open things up for Patrick and CBB. Lack of targets is not a problem for the Utes this year, but we need to see more consistency from the third and fourth guys. That being said, how do they stack up against the USC secondary?

So far the Trojans are only giving up 178 yards passing per game, good for 39th in the nation. Additionally, USC returns some very good DBs from 2015. On the outside are Adoree Jackson (5'11", 185 lbs) and Iman Marshall (6'2", 200 lbs). Marshall was statistically USC's best DB last year, he recorded 62 tackles, 3 INTs, and 9 PBUs as a freshman. On the other side, Jackson is probably the most athletically gifted player on the roster, which is saying something given that USC is loaded with 4 and 5 star talent at nearly every position. The outside receivers will have their work cut out for them in getting open and also in blocking, however, and height matchups are favorable as Patrick, Smith and Singleton all stand at 6'3" or taller.

Where I think Utah may have an advantage is at the slot position. Hopefully we will see these guys utilized a bit more than just on screen passes, as CBB and Fulks both have the speed to get open deep. Look for Utah to test USC's safeties, who struggled quite a bit in coverage last year, as they combined to defend only 4 passes between the two of them. The talent levels between these two groups appear to be very similar, and I think this will be one of the most even matchups of the game.

Edge: Even

The Utah O-line and RBs vs the USC front 7:

Utah's offensive line is big, experienced, and talented across the board. Although they started slow against SUU, they have started to gel together, and by the 2nd quarter of the SJSU game, they looked absolutely dominant, opening holes for Zack Moss, Armand Shyne, and Troy McCormick to run for more than 250 yards combined. The line has looked pretty good in pass protection so far, although they did have some missed assignments which led to some sacks against the Spartans. All five normal starters as well as Jackson Barton have shown that they can play well, and Sam Tevi, who sat against SJSU, should be back for this game. In the backfield is a young but talented group of backs who have shown different ways to contribute to the offense. Moss is probably the most effective every down back, but Shyne and McCormick have shown the ability to break off big runs or, in McCormick's case, catch a pass for a big gain as well. Shyne may push Moss for first team reps, as both looked very good against SJSU, averaging over 7 yards per carry.

On the other side of the ball is a defensive front that is struggling so far this year. All three starters on the line from 2015 graduated, and Kenny Bigelow, who was expected to start this year at nose tackle, was lost for the year with an injury during spring ball. One familiar face and probably USC's best D lineman right now is former Utah DT Stevie Tu'ikolovatu, who transferred to USC in search of more playing time. In spite of his talent, the defensive line has been pretty porous so far, allowing an average of 195 yards rushing per game. They are also struggling to get pressure on the QB, as they've only tallied 5 sacks in the first three games.

The linebackers for USC are a deep group, even with the loss of Osa Masina due to legal problems. While the line may struggle, the talent of the linebackers helps. Cameron Smith, who picked off Travis Wilson three times last year, leads the Trojans in tackles so far. Utah native Porter Gustin is second in stops, and also leads the Trojans in sacks, with two. Michael Hutchings is another linebacker to watch out for, he is smaller than the other two mentioned, but is fast and pretty good in coverage. Despite the star talent across the line, if Utah plays smart and physical, they should be able to move the ball against this front 7.

USC struggled mightily against Alabama and Stanford, both are teams with big, physical offensive linemen who love to punch you in the mouth and run the ball down your throat. Utah is the same way, and I have to give a slight advantage to Utah in this matchup.

Edge: Utah

Max Browne/Sam Darnold and the USC receivers vs. the Utah secondary:

Junior Max Browne and redshirt freshman Sam Darnold have both seen playing time this year, and while both have been serviceable, neither has been spectacular so far. I expect both will play against Utah. Browne is averaging about 160 yards per game, and only 5.45 yards per pass attempt, with 2 TDs and 2 INTs. Darnold has played in all three games, but has thrown for only 136 yards total, averaging 6.18 yards per attempt, with 2 TDs and 1 INT. For comparison, Troy Williams is averaging about 241 yards per game, with 8.41 yards per attempt and 4 TDs to 4 INTs.

As for the receiving corps, USC returns its leading receivers from last year, Juju Smith-Schuster, Darreus Rogers, and Steven Mitchell. This receiving corps is extremely physically gifted, but hasn't played up to their potential so far this year. JuJu Smith-Schuster, who many consider to be the best WR in the country, is only averaging 33 yards receiving per game, and only Rogers has eclipsed 100 total receiving yards on the year. There have been some well-documented team chemistry issues at USC, including Smith-Schuster walking out of practice and infighting on the team after a blowout loss to Alabama.

Fortunately for Utah, their secondary is shaping up to be one of the better units in the PAC 12. Led by Marcus Williams, Utah's secondary will need to play a very good game to hold these talented receivers in check. I expect Domo Hatfield to cover Smith-Schuster most of the time if he's healthy, and Justin Thomas and Reggie Porter will be matched up against Mitchell and Rogers, respectively. Expect to see plenty of Brian Allen as well, possibly matched up against JuJu as well since he is Utah's biggest CB. USC will probably use plenty of crossing routes to try to take advantage of the inexperienced linebackers, so hopefully those guys will be up to the task as well.

This should be another great matchup, and I don't know if I can say whether one side or the other has an advantage. I'm leaning slightly towards Utah since they have been pretty dominant in their first three games, but if these receivers play up to their potential, watch out.

USC's O-line and running backs vs. Utah's front 7:

USC returns all five starters from last year's line and are one of the most talented offensive lines in the nation. They also bring two very talented running backs to the game in Justin Davis and Ronald Jones II. Jones came on strong at the end of the year and finished with just over 1000 yards rushing on the year. However, as has been the case with the entire team, these guys have not played up to their potential so far. The USC rushing attack is only gaining 119 yards per game and a miserable 3.6 yards per carry. The bright spot here is pass protection, the line has been doing a good job protecting the QB against some very good defenses, as they've only given up 6 sacks through three games.

Utah's front 7 is deep and talented this year, with the D line especially looking nasty. Dimick, Lotulelei, Mokofisi, Tasini, Havili-Katoa, Hart, and Taumoepenu are all names we'll hear this fall, and we could see as many as three of those names on NFL rosters in 2017. The pass rush is fantastic, totaling 15 sacks, good for 2nd in the nation behind only Florida. The run defense has been very solid so far, not allowing a 100 yard rusher and only allowing 105 yards per game on the ground. At linebacker, Cody Barton and Sunia Tauteoli have been pretty good so far, but there's still room for improvement, as they're still caught out of assignment and miss some tackles from time to time. David Luafatasaga is also a pretty solid option, but may not see a lot of playing time this game since USC often has 3 WRs on the field. The linebackers will need to be solid in coverage to make sure Utah doesn't get picked apart by crossing routes, but the line should make the opposing running backs' lives very difficult. In this matchup, I feel fairly comfortable saying that Utah should have the advantage.

Edge: Utah

Utah special teams vs. USC special teams:

Both Andy Phillips and Matt Boermeester are solid kickers, and both have only missed one field goal attempt on the year. Utah has a decided advantage at punter, as USC's punter is only averaging 39.4 yards per attempt, whereas Mitch Wishnowsky is averaging 52.6 yards per punt. Where USC has a clear advantage is in the return game, as Adoree Jackson is always a threat to take a kick to the house, and already has one punt return for a touchdown on the year. Boobie Hobbs has the potential to be a good returner, but so far he has danced around too much on his returns instead of picking a lane and running forward. Overall, I'd say these two units are on equal footing.

This game will be a close one, but I feel that Utah has a defensive advantage and will bring an improved and more balanced offensive effort to the table compared to last year. Add that to home field advantage, and so long as they play clean and disciplined football, I think they win this one by a margin of about 7 points.

Prediction: 24-17 Utah

http://www.utefans.net/message.php?id=1845459

NorthwestUteFan
09-19-2016, 11:02 AM
Tom Herman, signed, sealed and delivered. They'd make a Pete Carroll type run with Herman. Yikes.
UH is on record saying they will pay Tom Hermann $5M/yr if the get added to the Big 12. USC probably won't go that deep for him.

SeattleUte
09-19-2016, 11:07 AM
I predict this is the game this team starts to show signs of jelling.

DrumNFeather
09-19-2016, 11:24 AM
I predict this is the game this team starts to show signs of jelling.

Agree. Kyle has said the OL is getting better and better every week. The DL has been dominant at times. I think we put a ton of presser on their QB (whomever they start).

Will Domo be back for this one?

Diehard Ute
09-19-2016, 03:25 PM
Agree. Kyle has said the OL is getting better and better every week. The DL has been dominant at times. I think we put a ton of presser on their QB (whomever they start).

Will Domo be back for this one?

He said on twitter he wanted prayers this week as it was a big week for him. Guessing he's cleared to practice and if that goes well play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

concerned
09-19-2016, 03:42 PM
Domo is listed with the starters on the two-deep. Tyrone smith not listed.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-19-2016, 05:37 PM
Pretty funny Tweet from Stevie T today.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160919/3d17625f1b52ea852a45a1cbaa752a29.jpg

Ummm...we all did Stevie. That's typically what happens when you transfer to a division rival.

Utah
09-19-2016, 05:42 PM
Pretty funny Tweet from Stevie T today.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160919/3d17625f1b52ea852a45a1cbaa752a29.jpg

Ummm...we all did Stevie. That's typically what happens when you transfer to a division rival.

What's crazy is if he had stayed, he'd be starting right now and Mokofisi would slide outside. I hope we beat them down so badly.

Diehard Ute
09-19-2016, 06:56 PM
Domo is listed with the starters on the two-deep. Tyrone smith not listed.

Per Goon both Domo and Smith were dressed at practice today, but he knew nothing beyond that.

Diehard Ute
09-19-2016, 07:22 PM
Darnold is officially the starter for Friday.

Utah
09-19-2016, 07:35 PM
Darnold is officially the starter for Friday.

Ha. Called that in fall camp. When you heard the rumors that Max was starting so he wouldn't transfer, then knowing how tough their schedule was, Utah seemed like the time to get the young man in there. Hopefully our defense will confuse the heck out of him.

concerned
09-19-2016, 08:31 PM
Should we be insulted that they think this is a good week to make the switch? Hope scalley tells the defense that they are disrespected

U-Ute
09-20-2016, 09:26 AM
Scally's reaction to USC's announcement on the QB change.

QgixZj4y3TwnS

DrumNFeather
09-20-2016, 09:39 AM
Should we be insulted that they think this is a good week to make the switch? Hope scalley tells the defense that they are disrespected

I'm reading that some of our fans are terrified about this switch. To which I say...our fans are funny sometimes.

DrumNFeather
09-20-2016, 09:52 AM
Well, Brown hasn't looked great, and Darnold has been the darling of spring/fall practice.

So was Huntley...and we saw how he looked when he got in the game. :)

I think their gameplan will be to go to Smith-Schuster early and often and Darnold probably gives them the best chance to do that. We're just gonna have to bracket him over the top with a safety.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-20-2016, 10:34 AM
I'm reading that some of our fans are terrified about this switch. To which I say...our fans are funny sometimes.

I just think that a lot of Utah fans have PTSD when it comes to USC being a dumpster fire, then making some change just before the Utah game and then wrecking us.

SoCalPat
09-20-2016, 10:55 AM
There's a part of me that says we really put Helton on the hot seat after Saturday.

There's also a part of me that says no way do we beat Utah State by 40 like USC did.

I'm pretty certain of this: Friday marks Utah's best chance ever to truly embarrass USC. If Patrick continues his great start, we play a largely turnover-free game and convert in the RZ, this could be a blowout. No way does USC score more than 21 on us, but Utah could drop 35-plus. And it's not like several other teams haven't done so already.

SoCalPat
09-20-2016, 11:04 AM
Last year's game was discouraging. But past a 4-0 turnover margin, and Utah going 0-2 on 4th down while USC went 2-3, the game was pretty even.

Both teams had difficulty extending drives on third down. Utah was 3-11, USC was 5-13.

Neither team ran particularly well -- Utah averaged 3.5 YPC, USC 2.6.

Total yards: USC 380, Utah 353.

The final stats say USC did pass the ball a little better -- 8.2 YPA to Utah's 6.4. But Utah's number was no doubt boosted by Travis' last two drives -- 6-7, 100 yards, 1 TD. Take that out, and Utah's YPA is 5.3 -- almost 3 yards worse than USC's. I think we'll be a lot better than that Friday, and JuJu won't be the best player on the field either. We can flip the script in the pass game.

Utah
09-20-2016, 11:22 AM
This season will come down to how Troy Williams plays, and as of right now, he needs to get a lot better. He does so many things well. He looks like a great QB, then he makes a catastrophic mistake that completely undo's any good he has accomplished.

Right now, he is the worst QB in the PAC-12 and by a LARGE margin, especially when you look at QBR.

For reference, Travis Wilson was about 20 points better in QBR than Troy Williams. Out of 125 QB's this year in college football, Troy Williams is ranked #85.

We can beat anyone IF Troy Williams starts playing better. And, maybe having Troy Williams play better is as simple as not allowing him to throw the ball in the red zone. For whatever reason, Troy Williams looks like a great QB until he gets in the redzone...then he becomes absolutely awful.

IF we can fix that issue, I really, really like our shot this year. IF this is who Troy Williams is, then we may be looking at a 7 win season.

Utah
09-20-2016, 11:24 AM
Last year's game was discouraging. But past a 4-0 turnover margin, and Utah going 0-2 on 4th down while USC went 2-3, the game was pretty even.

Both teams had difficulty extending drives on third down. Utah was 3-11, USC was 5-13.

Neither team ran particularly well -- Utah averaged 3.5 YPC, USC 2.6.

Total yards: USC 380, Utah 353.

The final stats say USC did pass the ball a little better -- 8.2 YPA to Utah's 6.4. But Utah's number was no doubt boosted by Travis' last two drives -- 6-7, 100 yards, 1 TD. Take that out, and Utah's YPA is 5.3 -- almost 3 yards worse than USC's. I think we'll be a lot better than that Friday, and JuJu won't be the best player on the field either. We can flip the script in the pass game.

I actually liked our gameplan...sort of. We went out trying to attack their LB'ers. The biggest problem was Fakailoatonga was out and it was his first game out and it showed. Our TE's took a step back without him. It led to at least a couple of INT's.

And, we didn't run the ball enough. We should have ran the ball like crazy to start the game. I know fans don't like that and whine and complain about it, but in order for us to win the PAC-12, we need to control the ball and time of possession and running the ball allows you to do that.

SoCalPat
09-20-2016, 12:50 PM
This season will come down to how Troy Williams plays, and as of right now, he needs to get a lot better. He does so many things well. He looks like a great QB, then he makes a catastrophic mistake that completely undo's any good he has accomplished.

Right now, he is the worst QB in the PAC-12 and by a LARGE margin, especially when you look at QBR.

For reference, Travis Wilson was about 20 points better in QBR than Troy Williams. Out of 125 QB's this year in college football, Troy Williams is ranked #85.

We can beat anyone IF Troy Williams starts playing better. And, maybe having Troy Williams play better is as simple as not allowing him to throw the ball in the red zone. For whatever reason, Troy Williams looks like a great QB until he gets in the redzone...then he becomes absolutely awful.

IF we can fix that issue, I really, really like our shot this year. IF this is who Troy Williams is, then we may be looking at a 7 win season.

It's ONLY through QBR that Troy is the worst QB in the league. He's 33rd nationally in YPA, and his 8.4 YPA is the domain for the greats at Utah. The competition has been less-than-stellar, obviously, but if this is where Troy is at season's end, we win 9 and maybe more.

Utah
09-20-2016, 12:52 PM
It's ONLY through QBR that Troy is the worst QB in the league. He's 33rd nationally in YPA, and his 8.4 YPA is the domain for the greats at Utah. The competition has been less-than-stellar, obviously, but if this is where Troy is at season's end, we win 9 and maybe more.

IF he can quit turning the ball over in the redzone. If he doesn't stop doing that, then what he does the other 80 yards on the field becomes a lot less meaningful...hence the horrible QBR.

Applejack
09-20-2016, 01:11 PM
Troy's big problem is accuracy. I don't know if the interceptions have been misthrown balls or not (that one in the end zone against the Cougars was not. Woof!), but it seems like 5-6 passes a game are in the dirt near open receivers. He's not very accurate, which isn't fatal, but it certainly puts a ceiling on what the offense can do.

UTEopia
09-20-2016, 01:22 PM
Troy's big problem is accuracy. I don't know if the interceptions have been misthrown balls or not (that one in the end zone against the Cougars was not. Woof!), but it seems like 5-6 passes a game are in the dirt near open receivers. He's not very accurate, which isn't fatal, but it certainly puts a ceiling on what the offense can do.

3 of his 4 interceptions were simply throwing into coverage that he should never have thrown into. He would have been better off deciding to throw it into the stands. The other interception was a great play by a DB. I think he has been his throws have been pretty accurate.

DrumNFeather
09-20-2016, 02:05 PM
3 of his 4 interceptions were simply throwing into coverage that he should never have thrown into. He would have been better off deciding to throw it into the stands. The other interception was a great play by a DB. I think he has been his throws have been pretty accurate.

Agree. If he were writing this on his QB resume it would fall under the "cares too much" category. I think even if he steps out of bounds or throws it away vs. BYU and we get the FG there, we're probably not looking at any 4th quarter miracle defense situation.

U-Ute
09-20-2016, 02:10 PM
Rumors of chaos at USC.

http://www.theleadsports.com/stories/did-usc-o-lineman-ej-price-punch-coach-clay-helton-in-the-face/

According to Reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/53ogun/usc_fans_were_in_trouble/) and USC message board FightOn247 (http://usc.247sports.com/Board/29/Contents/EJ-Price-47626395) something fishy is going on behind the scenes with the USC football team. And by fishy we mean that freshman OG EJ Price may have punched coach Clay Helton in the face, precipitating a possible mass exodus of transfers from the school. Rumored to be among those considering a transfer are OL Chuma Edoga, recently demoted QB Max Browne, and WR/CB Keyshawn Pie Young. CB Adoree Jackson and WR JuJu Smith are also widely expected to declare for the NFL draft as soon as the season is over.

Apparently Clay Helton has offered to sign the transfer papers of any player who wants to leave. This is all over USC message boards, but no “legitimate” news source has run with it yet.

Expect that to change in the next day as reports get more and more detailed, but it certainly sounds like something is going on. Helton is expected to address it in some manner either this afternoon or tomorrow.

chrisrenrut
09-20-2016, 02:27 PM
It will likely be cool and raining during the game. Hopefully that will make it all the more miserable for the Trojans.

Friday

http://forecast.weather.gov/newimages/medium/shra60.png
Showers
Likely
High: 54 °F

concerned
09-20-2016, 02:31 PM
It will likely be cool and raining during the game. Hopefully that will make it all the more miserable for the Trojans.

Friday

http://forecast.weather.gov/newimages/medium/shra60.png
Showers
Likely
High: 54 °F

I think the showers are mostly Thurs night and Fri morning. Will be cool but probably mostly dry by Fri night.

NorthwestUteFan
09-20-2016, 02:42 PM
I'm hoping the showers hit Denver by Friday night. I have a "movie on the lawn" thing that I can't get out of that night. Rain could deliver me from having to "watch" the game on my wife's phone during the movie.
Thoughts and prayers...!

DrumNFeather
09-20-2016, 02:55 PM
I'm driving up for the game...sounds like it will be a hoot. I can put up with a lot weather-wise for a win.

DrumNFeather
09-20-2016, 03:05 PM
Now you see the advantage of living in Colorado! Bought tickets for the Boulder game yet?

Not yet. Still trying to figure out if we'll be here for thanksgiving.

LA Ute
09-20-2016, 03:37 PM
Rumors of chaos at USC.

http://www.theleadsports.com/stories/did-usc-o-lineman-ej-price-punch-coach-clay-helton-in-the-face/

When the team plane lands at LAX Friday night Helton will be looking out on the tarmac nervously to see if Lynn Swann is waiting for him.

Utah
09-20-2016, 04:02 PM
I have nothing positive to say about Helton. Everyone knows that he started Browne just so he wouldn't transfer. That's about as low as you can go. I said in the fall that I thought Darnold would be starting for us because Helton started Browne to keep him from leaving and to be the fall guy. Helton is a terrible coach.

As far as everyone else transferring, if you are a smart coach, you come in and kick ass from day one. Set the tone from day one. That way, all your transfers/blowups/drama happens in Feb/March and no one cares. Then you can work all summer with what you have and go from there.

chrisrenrut
09-20-2016, 05:17 PM
I think the showers are mostly Thurs night and Fri morning. Will be cool but probably mostly dry by Fri night.

Not according to NOAA:

Friday Night
Showers likely, mainly before midnight. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 45. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

DrumNFeather
09-20-2016, 10:22 PM
When we moved here, we established a turkey day rule:

We'll drive to SLC to be with family every year that ends with an odd number. For even years, anyone is welcome to come visit us and go to the Utah/CU game.

That's a good rule. I think much of what we'll do will depend on the weather.

LA Ute
09-21-2016, 06:14 PM
For your enjoyment. I am not sure Nate Orchard ever got full credit for driving Nelson Agholor to step out of bounds on USC's crucial 4th down. (First play shown here.) If Nate doesn't do that, game over. Also, it's impossible not to love Travis Wilson after watching this drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qABPGKvErl8

Utedude1
09-21-2016, 06:42 PM
Yep, I loved TW's heart and play!

Applejack
09-22-2016, 07:57 AM
For your enjoyment. I am not sure Nate Orchard ever got full credit for driving Nelson Agholor to step out of bounds on USC's crucial 4th down. (First play shown here.) If Nate doesn't do that, game over. Also, it's impossible not to love Travis Wilson after watching this drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qABPGKvErl8

I had forgotten Patrick's fumble on the goaline. Great drive by Travis. I miss that guy. :tear:

DrumNFeather
09-22-2016, 08:05 AM
How I'm feeling about the game...

IgAsNtmlQJU

SoCalPat
09-22-2016, 11:43 AM
I'm feeling it. I really think we blow USC out. And you know I'm not the kind of poster that thinks we win every game, dominate every foe, etc. Hell, I'm mostly happy if we simply cover the spread, cuz the masses have spoken in making those numbers.

USC will not run the ball on us. Period. They haven't for three years. They might dial up a good play call now and then when we're geeked up to rush the passer, but they're gonna be in second-and-long all night long if they think they can run to set up the pass.

USC will not pass the ball on us. Period. I cannot see a true freshman making his first start coming into one of the league's most hostile environments against one of the league's best defenses and having much success.

Utah isn't going to go off offensively for 500-plus yards and 40 points. But we'll win the turnover battle decisively and be on the dominant side of field position all game long. We'll methodically make USC quit, save for Darnold, who will get a garbage-time TD or two. I don't have these feelings often in games of this magnitude and I don't know what my track record is when I do. However, I've made it a policy only to spout off on things in which I truly know, and know better than everyone else. And I know we crush USC on Friday night. 45-17, Utes, and a ranking in the mid-low teens come Monday.

NorthwestUteFan
09-22-2016, 11:47 AM
That would be amazing. I want some of SoCalPat's Kool-ade!

Applejack
09-22-2016, 11:58 AM
I'm feeling it. I really think we blow USC out. And you know I'm not the kind of poster that thinks we win every game, dominate every foe, etc. Hell, I'm mostly happy if we simply cover the spread, cuz the masses have spoken in making those numbers.

USC will not run the ball on us. Period. They haven't for three years. They might dial up a good play call now and then when we're geeked up to rush the passer, but they're gonna be in second-and-long all night long if they think they can run to set up the pass.

USC will not pass the ball on us. Period. I cannot see a true freshman making his first start coming into one of the league's most hostile environments against one of the league's best defenses and having much success.

Utah isn't going to go off offensively for 500-plus yards and 40 points. But we'll win the turnover battle decisively and be on the dominant side of field position all game long. We'll methodically make USC quit, save for Darnold, who will get a garbage-time TD or two. I don't have these feelings often in games of this magnitude and I don't know what my track record is when I do. However, I've made it a policy only to spout off on things in which I truly know, and know better than everyone else. And I know we crush USC on Friday night. 45-17, Utes, and a ranking in the mid-low teens come Monday.

:jig:

I am concerned that everyone is picking us. That's not familiar territory. We are supposed to be David, not Goliath.

There's no way to know what this game will look like. We know USC has athletes all over the place. We know Darnold has been mega-hyped. We know USC got blown out by two great teams and destroyed one decent team. We hear that USC is in disarray, but they've been in disarray before and beat us. We know that we've been solid but not spectacular. What does that all add up to? Who knows?

:finger1:

Applejack
09-22-2016, 12:42 PM
I've only watched bits of USC (Alabama + Stanford) but from what I could see they weren't as prolific as usual at the offensive skill positions. JuJu do what JuJu do, but other than him I wasn't floored by and of the wideouts. Now that could have had a lot to do with the defenders, but nothing mindblowing, skill-wise. Now, they were a threat on every kickoff/punt return, so I expect to give up a long return on Friday night. On defense, they looked pretty stout. They have dbs that can jam at the line and turn and run with the best. They had big, fast linebackers. Their d-line was meh, but it's still good. They shut out bama for a quarter plus, and it looked like it was going to be defensive masterpiece; then Alabama got going and USC rolled over.

TL;DR: Usc is down and they have a lot of quit in them.

SoCalPat
09-22-2016, 01:19 PM
I am concerned that everyone is picking us. That's not familiar territory. We are supposed to be David, not Goliath.

There's no way to know what this game will look like. We know USC has athletes all over the place. We know Darnold has been mega-hyped. We know USC got blown out by two great teams and destroyed one decent team. We hear that USC is in disarray, but they've been in disarray before and beat us. We know that we've been solid but not spectacular. What does that all add up to? Who knows?

Everyone is picking us? We're a field goal favorite and are playing at home. You have a very low threshold for "everyone".

concerned
09-22-2016, 01:39 PM
Everyone is picking us? We're a field goal favorite and are playing at home. You have a very low threshold for "everyone".

There is a lot of hype locally. PK and others saying there is "no way" Utah can lose this game, because there is no way a freshman qb can read or beat a KW defense in Rice Eccles. Too many people around here are acting like it is a foregone conclusion.

That is a bad sign to me. Except for 2014, people have hyped our chances and we have laid an egg (mostly in LA, granted). We have a true freshman rb and a qb who has thrown four interceptions against ok opposition, and a slot receiver who has minimal experience on offense (CBB). Put Adoree Jackson on Patrick, and what other receiver is going to step up, esp. if Tyrone Smith doesn't play?

I fear we are going to have a lot of trouble scoring points, and will lose the turnover battle. Hope i am very wrong.

Applejack
09-22-2016, 01:40 PM
I just rewatched the BYU game (thank you Pac-12 Football-in-60). Once you get past the turnovers (ARGH!), the thing that jumps out to you is that our offense is wedded to the big play. On most of our scoring drives we have a big play (40 yards to Patrick, for example) with the notable exception of the last drive which is grind it out, 3rd and 3s all over the place, Whitball. I've made this observation before, but we need to have more of a nose for the end zone. Two plays stand out:

- On 1 and goal we run the read option, Troy keeps the ball but doesn't make a beeline for the end zone. If he had, he'd have scored but instead he's tackled for a gain of 2. Then comes the interception by Nacua.
- ON a 35 yard pass to Patrick, he's wide open. Troy makes a great play to extend the play before passing. But the ball is significantly underthrown, so Patrick waits for the ball and is tackled. That needs to be six.

Basically, I am find with a grind-it-out-without-a-featured-back offense if we take some shots downfield. But on those shots downfield we better convert for 6 because, for this offense, 1st and goal from the 2 is the same as 1st and goal from the 25.

Applejack
09-22-2016, 01:41 PM
There is a lot of hype locally. PK and others saying there is "no way" Utah can lose this game, because there is no way a freshman qb can read or beat a KW defense in Rice Eccles. Too many people around here are acting like it is a foregone conclusion.

That is a bad sign to me. Except for 2014, people have hyped our chances and we have laid an egg (mostly in LA, granted). We have a true freshman rb and a qb who has thrown four interceptions against ok opposition, and a slot receiver who has minimal experience on offense (CBB). Put Adoree Jackson on Patrick, and what other receiver is going to step up, esp. if Tyrone Smith doesn't play?

I fear we are going to have a lot of trouble scoring points, and will lose the turnover battle. Hope i am very wrong.

My concerns exactly.

concerned
09-22-2016, 01:51 PM
I just rewatched the BYU game (thank you Pac-12 Football-in-60). Once you get past the turnovers (ARGH!), the thing that jumps out to you is that our offense is wedded to the big play. On most of our scoring drives we have a big play (40 yards to Patrick, for example) with the notable exception of the last drive which is grind it out, 3rd and 3s all over the place, Whitball.

This has been true for as long as Roderick has ben the coordinator. The long pass plays are low percentage. Either a big chunk play or a punt. Relatively few ball control sustained drives, especially through the air.

brettski
09-22-2016, 02:21 PM
78% guarantee.

Seems reasonable :) I imagine having a defined running game heading into tomorrow will make a big difference in the red zone.

chrisrenrut
09-22-2016, 08:42 PM
Even more certain now that it will be wet during the game:

Friday Night
Showers. Low around 48. South southwest wind around 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%.

NorthwestUteFan
09-22-2016, 09:18 PM
Sounds awful. Shades of the Arizona game in 2014, where the team mostly quit.

Applejack
09-23-2016, 05:55 AM
Sounds awful. Shades of the Arizona game in 2014, where the team mostly quit.
The wrong team quit. Here's hoping the weather affects the boys from socal more than the ones from Florida.

NorthwestUteFan
09-23-2016, 06:39 AM
RichRod (allegedly) made his team practice in the sprinklers in 38 degree weather that week. That is dedication.

NorthwestUteFan
09-23-2016, 07:14 AM
Where did he find 38 degree weather?
SLC during the week of the game. The team arrived Wed night iirc, and practiced at 5:30 am Thurs and Fri, and played the game Sat.

UTEopia
09-23-2016, 08:38 AM
Really looking forward to the game tonight. I hope the fans don't allow the weather to keep them home. Everyone needs to bring their A game. I believe the team will bring its A game. As fans, we should be able to use our voices to generate some confusion for the QB and maybe some penalties on the OL. While USC has been mostly dysfunctional over the past few years, they still have some of the best players and athletes in the conference and beating them will be no small accomplishment.

concerned
09-23-2016, 08:43 AM
Who does the weather favor? I fear it favors USC, because it minimizes what you can do on offense, and emphasizes the run. don't need a new qb to do as much, easier for a new qb to manage the game, and perhaps plays to Darden's strengths as a runner, sort of like Brisset did last night (in different weather).

Diehard Ute
09-23-2016, 09:19 AM
Who does the weather favor? I fear it favors USC, because it minimizes what you can do on offense, and emphasizes the run. don't need a new qb to do as much, easier for a new qb to manage the game, and perhaps plays to Darden's strengths as a runner, sort of like Brisset did last night (in different weather).

Except USC can't stop the run, so that favors us

There was a Pac-12 blog article on ESPN about the lack of DLine talent at USC and its impact on their inability to stop the run. They play well for the first quarter, but with a lack of depth and a D.C. That doesn't substitute even when he has depth they wear out and bleed yards starting in the second quarter.

UBlender
09-23-2016, 09:23 AM
As long as we've been in the PAC 12 we've talked about the supposed advantage we should get anytime a SoCal or Arizona team comes in and there's some weather. The only time I can remember Utah actually gaining an advantage from it was our first year against UCLA, but that may just be because it was an awful UCLA team and Neuheisal was about to get fired. Aside from that the weather has either not had an impact or Utah has proven to be the wussier team.

Since the weather just turnt yesterday I don't expect that we'll have any real advantage as we will be as unaccustomed to it as USC.

Darnold is a better runner than Browne but he ain't exactly Mike Vick. From what I understand he's more like Travis Wilson in his running ability--he can hurt you and you need to be aware of him but you're not building your game plan around stopping his running game.

I think Sancho has it right. The weather favors whichever team gets a random bounce that wouldn't otherwise happen.

concerned
09-23-2016, 09:25 AM
Except USC can't stop the run, so that favors us

There was a Pac-12 blog article on ESPN about the lack of DLine talent at USC and its impact on their inability to stop the run. They play well for the first quarter, but with a lack of depth and a D.C. That doesn't substitute even when he has depth they wear out and bleed yards starting in the second quarter.

Hope so, but I wonder whether an inability to stop Alabama or Stanford & McCaffrey is a good barometer.

Utah
09-23-2016, 09:39 AM
our first year against UCLA, but that may just be because it was an awful UCLA team and Neuheisal was about to get fired.

So, Utah wins big, right?

SoCalPat
09-23-2016, 09:45 AM
So, Utah wins big, right?

We thumped UCLA in 2011 because Chow (who was at UCLA the year before and knew Rick and his team cold) formationed the UCLA defense to death. It was beautiful to watch, and we ran variations of different plays out of the same formation. My favorite was when we ran a diamond stack to the far side -- with Shawn Asiata lined off the LOS. Totally mindjacked the Bruin D. They were helpless against us, and said as much after the game.

Tonight, we just have a better D, more experience and no quit -- and we're playing at home. USC has neither of those things.

Devildog
09-23-2016, 10:42 AM
This is the game for the offensive line to put it all together. Run blocking and a ball control offense. Zero turnovers from our side. Our D line is going to stop their rushing attack and we will force them to throw against our secondary in the rain. The Utes win a close one tonight.

NorthwestUteFan
09-23-2016, 11:03 AM
We have two magnificent beasts at OT (Bolles and Barton), and Asiata at LG is a man playing among the boys even in D-1. The O Line had three games to practice and learn trust each other, so now is the time for them put it all together and dominate.

Rocker Ute
09-23-2016, 11:10 AM
This is the game for the offensive line to put it all together. Run blocking and a ball control offense. Zero turnovers from our side. Our D line is going to stop their rushing attack and we will force them to throw against our secondary in the rain. The Utes win a close one tonight.

Good call, the question is will OBLOCK put it all together? I am picking Utah in the survivor pool but I am not filled with confidence.

Rocker Ute
09-23-2016, 11:16 AM
On a side note, have you guys noticed how positive and unconcerned Whit seems interviews? It is almost uncharacteristic. When interviewers have asked him about concerns with the offense or issues on the o-line he will acknowledge them but just dismisses it with something like, "These guys know what needs to be done and I'm confident they'll get there."

Truthfully it has thrown me for a loop. It is almost reminiscent of Pease last year before the season started when he was asked what he was concerned about, or what needed to be improved on the defense and he said, "Nothing." I remember thinking, "What?!!!"

Now they went and proved that... so I'm hopeful for the same thing on O this year.

Utah
09-23-2016, 11:23 AM
There may or may not allegedly have been rumors that a certain Mr. Sam Tevi will be suited and ready to play tonight.

Brian
09-23-2016, 11:41 AM

And no more false starts!!! We have our seasons worth already.

FountainOfUte
09-23-2016, 11:45 AM
As long as we've been in the PAC 12 we've talked about the supposed advantage we should get anytime a SoCal or Arizona team comes in and there's some weather. The only time I can remember Utah actually gaining an advantage from it was our first year against UCLA, but that may just be because it was an awful UCLA team and Neuheisal was about to get fired. Aside from that the weather has either not had an impact or Utah has proven to be the wussier team.

Without actually looking up results, etc., this is the same impression that I have. I see Utah fans get all giddy when the weather sucks and we have a warm climate team come in — as if we're going to turn into a bunch of Yeti's and run the Beach Boys out of the stadium. Instead, we seem to crap the bed and the visiting team seems MORE focused and resolved to buckle down and leave with a win. Lest anyone forget that we recruit heavily from the Sun Belt, too.

Here's to hoping that the weather keeps our passing game intact. I think a balanced attack is still our best shot at a W tonight.

NorthwestUteFan
09-23-2016, 11:51 AM
The 'cold weather warrior' theme worked well when our team was made of farm boys from Summit County and SDSU or Hawaii was coming to play, but that was decades ago.

I worry that cold hands and wet footballs could lead back to our fumble problems.

But I also remember having a decent passing game during the rainy ASU game last year.

Applejack
09-23-2016, 12:48 PM
There may or may not allegedly have been rumors that a certain Mr. Sam Tevi will be suited and ready to play tonight.

This would be welcome news.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-23-2016, 01:56 PM
2014 Utah-USC 60in60 game cued up on PAC 12 Network in 5 minutes. Man, I love working 4-10s.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-23-2016, 01:58 PM
2014 Utah-USC 60in60 game cued up on PAC 12 Network in 5 minutes. Man, I love working 4-10s.

Which means I'm now watching the end of the 2013 Utah-USC game. 😞

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-23-2016, 02:02 PM
Despite the Guide, they're showing Stanford-UCLA. 😡

U-Ute
09-23-2016, 04:50 PM
Despite the Guide, they're showing Stanford-UCLA. 

You cursed yourself for rubbing your 4-10's in our faces.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-23-2016, 06:24 PM
Tonight's lids.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160924/6331f2a4f7ca54fc229b523911ebdbc8.jpg

SALT LAKE CITY—For tonight’s blackout game against USC, the Utes are debuting new designer black helmets. An artist individually hand-painted each helmet and no two helmets are exactly alike. The helmets reflect a granite texture and each has its own unique serial number painted on it.

The design was conceived by Utah director of equipment operations Kelly Sharitt and his assistant Cody Heidbreder and the helmets will work with any Utah uniform combination.

The helmets were made possible through a generous donation by Dave and Julie Layton of Layton Construction.

NorthwestUteFan
09-23-2016, 06:28 PM
Wow those helmets are amazing

HuskyFreeNorthwest
09-23-2016, 06:35 PM
Good luck tonight, should be a fun atmosphere. Hopefully a good game.

Utah
09-23-2016, 07:00 PM
I don't think there is chat here, if there is, i'll delete this post, but there is a chat forum on Utehub. Come whine with us about how great and then how terrible and then hopefully how great we are.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-23-2016, 07:06 PM
Crowd not looking fantastic. Lots of open spots.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-23-2016, 07:07 PM
Pita needs to hold that.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-23-2016, 07:09 PM
Nice job Chase!

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-23-2016, 07:12 PM
I like this Moss kid.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-23-2016, 07:17 PM
Love the call to go for it on 4th and 1 in the red zone. Let's finish this with 7!

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-23-2016, 07:18 PM
Boom!!!!!!!

NorthwestUteFan
09-23-2016, 07:19 PM
Gotta keep it up. That drive was great! Now make them quit

Devildog
09-23-2016, 07:20 PM
Off to a great start. Turnover into touchdown. O line looks good.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-23-2016, 07:22 PM
Shit.

Devildog
09-23-2016, 07:22 PM
So that was ridiculous.

mpfunk
09-23-2016, 07:36 PM
I'm not feeling good about this game right now.

mpfunk
09-23-2016, 07:37 PM
That was definitely a fumble.

LA Ute
09-23-2016, 07:38 PM
Something's wrong in the middle of our D line.

Devildog
09-23-2016, 07:38 PM
I'm not feeling good about this game right now.

Stop it. The O looks good. We got this man.

mpfunk
09-23-2016, 07:42 PM
Stop it. The O looks good. We got this man.

Our offensive line has definitely finally decided to show up for the season. That is a good thing.

Devildog
09-23-2016, 07:42 PM
We are run blocking really well! That is exactly what we need.

Brian
09-23-2016, 07:44 PM
Grind em down.

Devildog
09-23-2016, 07:47 PM
At this point we are kicking their ass. They had a crazy lucky return... but that is all they've done.

mpfunk
09-23-2016, 07:56 PM
It is not working rushing 4. We need to bring pressure to rattle Darnold. We can't just rush 4 anymore with Fitts out.

Devildog
09-23-2016, 07:57 PM
We need another turnover

Devildog
09-23-2016, 07:58 PM
Well yep. Turnover fawker.

Brian
09-23-2016, 07:58 PM
Aces!

Devildog
09-23-2016, 07:59 PM
It's wet out there.

mpfunk
09-23-2016, 08:02 PM
Yeah don't even try for this 1st down.

mpfunk
09-23-2016, 08:03 PM
Yeah don't even try for this 1st down.

I'm thrilled to be wrong. Great pass.

Devildog
09-23-2016, 08:05 PM
Punch this in Utah!

Devildog
09-23-2016, 08:09 PM
Damn... we are going to win this game... but it's going to be closer than I wish.

Devildog
09-23-2016, 08:15 PM
He was hit before he threw the ball

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-23-2016, 08:21 PM
He was hit before he threw the ball

Yeah. That seemed like bs. His arm was moving forward due to Hansen's shoulder in his back.

WTF is going on with the middle of our defense?! Huge gaps every run.

justaute
09-23-2016, 08:27 PM
Utah Offense....haha. Utah offensive staff...haha. Utah's "vaunted" D, not so much.

Devildog
09-23-2016, 08:29 PM
Yeah. That seemed like bs. His arm was moving forward due to Hansen's shoulder in his back.

WTF is going on with the middle of our defense?! Huge gaps every run.

Our linebackers are new and inexperienced. We really do have this. We win this game.

LA Ute
09-23-2016, 08:33 PM
We can't seem to cover their receivers.

mpfunk
09-23-2016, 08:33 PM
We aren't just going to lose this game, we are about to get blown out

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Devildog
09-23-2016, 08:37 PM

This isn't Madden video game. Didn't you realize this would be tough? Jesus it's USC... stop the defeatist bullshit. We win this game close...

justaute
09-23-2016, 08:37 PM

We deserve every bit of it.

mpfunk
09-23-2016, 08:40 PM
This isn't Madden video game. Didn't you realize this would be tough? Jesus it's USC... stop the defeatist bullshit. We win this game close...
I didn't expect us to win. My concern is 3 TOs and 10 points and losing.

justaute
09-23-2016, 08:42 PM

We win this game because you say so? Because the way we are playing? Should the evidence thus far be ignored?

Not saying we might not win. Show something.

concerned
09-23-2016, 08:42 PM
One more year where I wish we had a passing game. Sigh.

Devildog
09-23-2016, 08:44 PM
I didn't expect us to win. My concern is 3 TOs and 10 points and losing.

Well you thought wrong. Fighting is always a mental affair. The Utes are not going to stop. We are going to beat USC... and that is going to make all the difference in the South.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-23-2016, 08:50 PM
I blame SoCalPat.

Utah
09-23-2016, 08:58 PM
Crowd not looking fantastic. Lots of open spots.

People want to know why we don't expand? This is why. Imagine another 10,000 empty seats.

LA Ute
09-23-2016, 08:59 PM
If Darnold has any time at all to throw his receivers will get open, period. So getting some pressure on him with 4 rushing will be key. If we can keep rotating the DL maybe the USC OL will tire.

mpfunk
09-23-2016, 09:02 PM
Well, we just figured out why the defensive line is struggling so much.

LA Ute
09-23-2016, 09:09 PM
We are getting exposed, doggonit.

mpfunk
09-23-2016, 09:09 PM
What in the every loving fuck was that shit. Ju Ju fucking pushing off on his head and that is defensive PI. Bull fucking shit.

Without Lowell, I don't think we have a shot.

mpfunk
09-23-2016, 09:23 PM
If we want any chance of winning this game, we are going to have to get a TD here. If we don't, it is over for sure.

Mormon Red Death
09-23-2016, 09:25 PM
hell yeah!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

LA Ute
09-23-2016, 09:42 PM
USC hasn't even had to punt in this game. Ouch.

mpfunk
09-23-2016, 09:53 PM
Amazing. Now, for that punt.

I'd take a turnover. Just saying.

Brian
09-23-2016, 09:54 PM
Wow. Nice drive

Devildog
09-23-2016, 10:06 PM
USC hasn't even had to punt in this game. Ouch.

And... they punt.

mpfunk
09-23-2016, 10:10 PM
Yeah, not a big fan of going deep on 1st and 2nd.

mpfunk
09-23-2016, 10:15 PM
We have a QB. We have a game where the offense might win us this game. Tim Patrick is legit.

Devildog
09-23-2016, 10:16 PM
Lets go O... pick up the first down and keep this going.

mpfunk
09-23-2016, 10:17 PM
Time out means we're going on fourth if needed.

Yeah, at this point you have to. The defense has sucked today. We can't rely on them to win this thing for us. We have to rely on the offense. As a Ute fan, that is a scary proposition. I'm somewhat optimistic we can win this thing.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
09-23-2016, 10:17 PM
You guys have killed them on the slant route all night, I never understand coaches. Why are the in love with the go route now?

mpfunk
09-23-2016, 10:19 PM
Bolles may be one of the worst players ever offered by Bama. I don't think we have to worry about him going pro after this season. Just saying.

Devildog
09-23-2016, 10:20 PM
Well... Hell Yes

mpfunk
09-23-2016, 10:21 PM
You guys have killed them on the slant route all night, I never understand coaches. Why are the in love with the go route now?

I agree with HFN. Slant, slant, slant. Oh and than more slant route. Do what works.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-23-2016, 10:22 PM
Why get cute there?!?!

mpfunk
09-23-2016, 10:22 PM
Slant route!!!!

Devildog
09-23-2016, 10:24 PM
Damn... That is how battles are won right there.

Devildog
09-23-2016, 10:27 PM
Hell yes utah!

Redbird
09-23-2016, 10:32 PM
damn, what a fucking game. down 24-10 and 27-17. Ballsy in the 4th quarter, and ice water running in TWill's veins on that TD throw.

mpfunk
09-23-2016, 10:32 PM
Our offense won us a game. When was the last time that happened?

Our defense struggled. We need Lowell back and bad.

Williams is a good QB. I'm really excited to have him in the program for another year.

I think we are starting to see why NFL scouts have been asking about Tim Patrick.

devildog, I bow down to you. You were right. If I ever meet you, I will buy you a beer of a Jameson.

Devildog
09-23-2016, 10:36 PM
Our offense won us a game. When was the last time that happened?

Our defense struggled. We need Lowell back and bad.

Williams is a good QB. I'm really excited to have him in the program for another year.

I think we are starting to see why NFL scouts have been asking about Tim Patrick.

devildog, I bow down to you. You were right. If I ever meet you, I will buy you a beer of a Jameson.

I am so fawking happy Funk, I wish you and I could throw down some whiskey's brother.

NorthwestUteFan
09-23-2016, 10:38 PM
What a fun win! Those last drives were just tasty.

Sullyute
09-23-2016, 10:45 PM
I heart devildog!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Applejack
09-23-2016, 10:46 PM
I love Tim Patrick!!!! Love, love, love, love him. It's so much easier when you have an elite wr. Butler-Byrd was great tonight, singleton looked good, simpkins is promising, and s Wilson is good at drawing PIs. But it's all about Timmy p.

brettski
09-23-2016, 10:48 PM
Great game! Very impressive turnaround after going down 24-10. Reminded me of the Oregon State game in 2008

HuskyFreeNorthwest
09-23-2016, 10:49 PM
Fun game to watch, good win. Enjoy the early jump on everyone in the league.

mpfunk
09-23-2016, 10:50 PM
I am so fawking happy Funk, I wish you and I could throw down some whiskey's brother.

Same here man. Same here. I've got a celebratory Makers 46. I'm a fan of this stuff. I know you are a Jameson man, but give me a good bourbon or American whiskey.

NorthwestUteFan
09-23-2016, 10:53 PM
Jameson is smoooooth. Good stuff.

Kind of like Troy Williams in the 2nd half.

Devildog
09-23-2016, 10:53 PM
This Utah Team should roll into UCLA ranked in the top ten and undefeated. The South is right now under our control.

mpfunk
09-23-2016, 10:56 PM
This Utah Team should roll into UCLA ranked in the top ten and undefeated. The South is right now under our control.

:cheers:

Devildog
09-23-2016, 10:56 PM
Same here man. Same here. I've got a celebratory Makers 46. I'm a fan of this stuff. I know you are a Jameson man, but give me a good bourbon or American whiskey.

I still love a great bourbon. Makers is my biker buddies choice every time,

mpfunk
09-23-2016, 10:57 PM
LenDale White on twitter right now is entertaining stuff.

SoCalPat
09-23-2016, 11:05 PM
LenDale White on twitter right now is entertaining stuff.

Lendale White's HS coach at Denver South was none other than Tony Lindsay, former Utah RB.

Rocker Ute
09-23-2016, 11:07 PM
This might be my favorite thread to read backwards ever.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-23-2016, 11:42 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160924/ec05079dba4db2f028b297dc6c8bf350.jpg

LA Ute
09-23-2016, 11:47 PM
I'll buy both DevilDog and mpfunk a drink if they'll let me sip a Diet Coke with them. :highfive::drunk::rockon:

LA Ute
09-23-2016, 11:50 PM
As the Utes were making that final drive, I told my son, "We might be watching something historic here." He shut me up, fearing a jinx. But I was right.

As four of us walked home from RES, we kept marveling at how good it feels to have a QB again who can take over a game and win it.

Not to mention an elite WR who can make plays when we need them.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-23-2016, 11:56 PM
This may have been the play of the game.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160924/9382a5ffefb6709720819e02d6e0c747.jpg

Patrick had just had a ball bounce off his hands on a slant that wasn't a great throw. Guess he was tired of playing in gloves and ripped them off after that play. Don't think he dropped another pass the rest of the game.

chrisrenrut
09-24-2016, 12:01 AM
This may have been the play of the game.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160924/9382a5ffefb6709720819e02d6e0c747.jpg

Patrick had just had a ball bounce off his hands on a slant that wasn't a great throw. Guess he was tired of playing in gloves and ripped them off after that play. Don't think he dropped another pass the rest of the game.

In his post game comments, he mentioned he had two drops that he blamed himself for. He said they were good throws, not willing to put the blame on Williams. He didn't mention the glove drop.

LA Ute
09-24-2016, 12:10 AM
Highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f0PuHkmRRc

DrumNFeather
09-24-2016, 12:12 AM
Boy was that fun! My poncho was ripped in half by the end...totally worth it.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

LA Ute
09-24-2016, 12:14 AM
Bolles blows up Cam Smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnFocKRPIWU

LA Ute
09-24-2016, 12:22 AM
Here's every play in the final drive (with play-by-play called in Spanish??):

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/utah-drives-93-yards-in-final-five-minutes-to-beat-usc-1787030340?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebo ok&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

chrisrenrut
09-24-2016, 12:45 AM
Comments earlier in the thread talk about the crowd being disappointing. It may have looked so early, but the stadium was filled up, including the corners. There might have been some late arrivals due to weeknight issues, and a few empty seats due to either weather or high school games. But overall, it was a really good crowd. The rain kind of dampened (heh) the blackout, with a lot of jackets and ponchos in red and other colors.

Devildog
09-24-2016, 01:31 AM
I'll buy both DevilDog and mpfunk a drink if they'll let me sip a Diet Coke with them. :highfive::drunk::rockon:

I'll buy your damn diet coke if you will stop posting in the fawkin zoob thread. Just stop man... seriously, it's that easy. Let them go. We just beat USC. We now control the PAC 12 South Division. Who gives a rat shit about about those clowns... besides you... and Provo?

Rocker Ute
09-24-2016, 06:08 AM
I'm stoked with the win. This is actually one of the first home games I haven't attended in over 14 years. Being sick, the rain and a piss-poor attitude resulted in me surrendering my seats to better people than me.

Box scores are virtually even with the two exceptions being time of possession and turnovers. A little like Brian Johnson, Troy Williams was great when we needed him to be.

Our WRs stepped up and are starting to run great routes to put them in positions to catch the ball. Thank you coach Halliday.

Our OL is finally starting to gel. They gave Williams protection and in the first half made the holes needed for our run game.

Interesting play calling. It seemed they went with something until USC could stop it and then would change. First half was run run run until they started stopping it. A little bit of the loss of production on the run has to do with Moss's conditioning.

Bolles leveling of the USC defender on the reverse may be my favorite play of the season thus far. Followed closely by Patrick's manhandling of Adore Jackson resulting in a lost shoe and a game winning touchdown. Yeah I know that should be it but it isn't. Go Bolles. I'll also chalk up that literal Jackson de-cleating to superior WR coaching.

It boils down to the better coached team won. The game plan was executed. Whit took some surprising risks but even if they didn't pay off I thought they were the right call. For example the second to last drive down by 10 and in field goal range on 4th and 1 he surprised me by going for it. It was the right call because we'd proven the ability to get short gains like that with relative ease and settling for a field goal would have kept momentum with USC.

Now as you'd expect from me, the gripes.

Like I said, Williams got it done when it counted but he needs to be way more accurate. For example that 4th and one in the last drive where Patrick caught it and fell out on the sideline? Patrick was in the right spot and open for a sure 1st down but had to correct and come way back just to catch a ball 3 yards underthrown. Watch the final drives and when Williams was missing he was WAY off.

Bolles has gotten a false start in every game I believe. Love the kid but that can't keep going, not at home.

Our D got schooled and that was hard to see. All year we've struggled to tackle on first contact. So many missed sacks and stuffed runs. We couldn't stop their run and we couldn't contain the passes. We lost a lot of those opportunities because we were going for a strip instead of a stop too. Yeah, I know they also caused three fumbles, but freaking wrap up and put your helmet on the ball.

Darnold looked legit for a freshman starting his first game. Wow.

The kickoff right to Adore Jackson was as dumb as kicking to Reggie Dunn. He knew it too, they showed in the replay. My kingdom for a guy who can consistently boot it out of the end zone.

Great win. LA Times is saying the better team lost. I don't know how you can say that. Play with a chip on your shoulder Utes. They still don't respect you.

Glad to be 4-0 and only two games away from bowl eligibility. Keep marching.

LA Ute
09-24-2016, 07:43 AM
Last night I looked in vain for a breakdown of that final pass play. I found it this morning. Here it is. It looks like Patrick simply owned Jackson on that route.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=LO40UcPwIFY

LA Ute
09-24-2016, 08:01 AM
The Singleton TD was even more beautifully done than the one to Patrick. Williams' throw was perfect, and so was Singleton's route:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tleAwZrentk&sns=em

UTEopia
09-24-2016, 08:09 AM
Comments earlier in the thread talk about the crowd being disappointing. It may have looked so early, but the stadium was filled up, including the corners. There might have been some late arrivals due to weeknight issues, and a few empty seats due to either weather or high school games. But overall, it was a really good crowd. The rain kind of dampened (heh) the blackout, with a lot of jackets and ponchos in red and other colors.

I was pleasantly surprised by the attendance. I thought it was pretty good given the weather predictions. The weather itself, was not bad at all and those who stayed home because of it certainly missed out. As for the crowd, it was loud and engaged. Go Utes.

UTEopia
09-24-2016, 08:13 AM
I was shocked at the ineligible receiver call. That pass play took no time at all to develop. On the replay, the dude rolled past the five years mark. What a lucky, game changing call for us.

That call as well as the PI call at the beginning of the last TD drive were huge. Without either call, the outcome is likely different.

LA Ute
09-24-2016, 08:34 AM
“We lost this game,” running back Justin Davis said. “Utah didn’t win.”

http://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/la-sp-usc-utah-hernandez-20160923-snap-story.html

LOL. Come on, Justin. Man up.

mpfunk
09-24-2016, 08:59 AM
Let's sit back and realize something. We have a QB. An actual QB that can make throws and move the offense. We have him for another season too.

Our offense can make plays to win a game with him. Williams grew up a ton last night. Steve Smiths cousin is legit.

Rocker Ute
09-24-2016, 09:24 AM
Let's sit back and realize something. We have a QB. An actual QB that can make throws and move the offense. We have him for another season too.

Our offense can make plays to win a game with him. Williams grew up a ton last night. Steve Smiths cousin is legit.

I'm not ready to proclaim all is well at that position just yet, but I am hopeful. Keep in mind years of being a Ute fan has conditioned me to think things like that the final USC circus play was going to likely result in a USC TD.

Not to shoehorn this but it just reminds me of the mental job that Dave Christensen did to Travis Wilson that in my opinion ruined him as a QB forever. I'm glad Howdy Doody Time is long gone.

I'm also very glad Williams has guys coaching him that continue to show confidence in him despite some big mental lapses the first three games. To my knowledge there were no mental lapses this game, just some inaccurate passes.

Utah
09-24-2016, 09:30 AM

http://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/la-sp-usc-utah-hernandez-20160923-snap-story.html

I agree with Chase Hansen. USC is definitely the BEST 1-3 team in the country. lol.

Well, maybe until later today, that is...

NorthwestUteFan
09-24-2016, 10:15 AM
USC is still super dangerous. Now I want them to turn that 1-3 start into an 8-4 season, to roll through the South, and soften up UW for us.

concerned
09-24-2016, 10:15 AM
One more year where I wish we had a passing game. Sigh.

I posted this at halftime. Boy did I speak too soon. Our passing game, our quarterback, our receivers, and probably are coordinators really came of age last night. What a second half.

Ma'ake
09-24-2016, 10:35 AM
Short and sweet thoughts:

- Offense bailed out the D. Wow. Credit to USC for not disintegrating. Sam Darnold is a talent, and they have the names we'll see on Sundays. A lot of homework for Scalley.

- Gameball - Troy Williams.

- Gameball - Guy Holliday. Tim Patrick and CBB were the known threats. Raelon made a huge leap up, Simpkins caught a dart from Troy in heavy traffic. Sioasi Wilson, Fulks, Tyrone when he gets back, all can make key catches and make plays. I don't remember ever having this many threats and contributors.

- Gameball - ARod. Brilliant game plan, great play calling. Those of us who know ARod have always known he could be really, really good, with the right ingredients. So nice to see.

- Gameball - OL and Jim Harding. Harding and Jason Thompson are the very welcome leftovers from the Dave Christensen debacle.

Geez - I just gave out four game balls - all deserved.

Utebiquitous
09-24-2016, 10:53 AM
Interesting parallels to the game two years ago:

-Adoree Jackson returns a kickoff for a TD again
-Fumble at the end zone by Utah - last time the Patrick fumble is recovered by SC, this time we recover it
-Utah quarterback leads a final drive for the winning touchdown (let's not forget that Travis had his moments)
-Tim Patrick redemption - fumbled at the goal line last time he played USC; beats them with the pattern and catch of the game

Some continue to express hesitancy about Troy Williams. I don't get it. He's looked the part and gotten better every game. In this one, he got better against a serious step up in competition. Time and time again last night Williams had to throw darts. For the most part, the receivers made the plays just as a firm tackle/hit was made. The physicality of SC's 'backers and dbs really impresses me every time we play them. We dealt with it better than ever. What a game.

concerned
09-24-2016, 11:12 AM
One of the commentators during post game last night said that Troy Williams most impressive throw was the one where he evaded pressure and was able to throw the ball into the stands without an intentional grounding. He said that throw saved the game, and showed Troy has matured since he threw those interceptions in the endzone.

concerned
09-24-2016, 11:22 AM

I can see his pov. When you are up 24-10 late, you have a crucial ineligible receiver and p I calls on the last two drives, you give up two fourth downs badly and your d line disappears, I might feel the same way. Comment intended to get them back on their feet.

SeattleUte
09-24-2016, 11:46 AM
I'm stoked with the win. This is actually one of the first home games I haven't attended in over 14 years. Being sick, the rain and a piss-poor attitude resulted in me surrendering my seats to better people than me.

Box scores are virtually even with the two exceptions being time of possession and turnovers. A little like Brian Johnson, Troy Williams was great when we needed him to be.

Our WRs stepped up and are starting to run great routes to put them in positions to catch the ball. Thank you coach Halliday.

Our OL is finally starting to gel. They gave Williams protection and in the first half made the holes needed for our run game.

Interesting play calling. It seemed they went with something until USC could stop it and then would change. First half was run run run until they started stopping it. A little bit of the loss of production on the run has to do with Moss's conditioning.

Bolles leveling of the USC defender on the reverse may be my favorite play of the season thus far. Followed closely by Patrick's manhandling of Adore Jackson resulting in a lost shoe and a game winning touchdown. Yeah I know that should be it but it isn't. Go Bolles. I'll also chalk up that literal Jackson de-cleating to superior WR coaching.

It boils down to the better coached team won. The game plan was executed. Whit took some surprising risks but even if they didn't pay off I thought they were the right call. For example the second to last drive down by 10 and in field goal range on 4th and 1 he surprised me by going for it. It was the right call because we'd proven the ability to get short gains like that with relative ease and settling for a field goal would have kept momentum with USC.

Now as you'd expect from me, the gripes.

Like I said, Williams got it done when it counted but he needs to be way more accurate. For example that 4th and one in the last drive where Patrick caught it and fell out on the sideline? Patrick was in the right spot and open for a sure 1st down but had to correct and come way back just to catch a ball 3 yards underthrown. Watch the final drives and when Williams was missing he was WAY off.

Bolles has gotten a false start in every game I believe. Love the kid but that can't keep going, not at home.

Our D got schooled and that was hard to see. All year we've struggled to tackle on first contact. So many missed sacks and stuffed runs. We couldn't stop their run and we couldn't contain the passes. We lost a lot of those opportunities because we were going for a strip instead of a stop too. Yeah, I know they also caused three fumbles, but freaking wrap up and put your helmet on the ball.

Darnold looked legit for a freshman starting his first game. Wow.

The kickoff right to Adore Jackson was as dumb as kicking to Reggie Dunn. He knew it too, they showed in the replay. My kingdom for a guy who can consistently boot it out of the end zone.

Great win. LA Times is saying the better team lost. I don't know how you can say that. Play with a chip on your shoulder Utes. They still don't respect you.

Glad to be 4-0 and only two games away from bowl eligibility. Keep marching.

What the LA Times article actually said (contrary to the headline) is that USC is more talented. Never forget, in this conference week in and out Utah mostly plays more talented teams. And Whit is 23-7 since Chris Hill tried to fire him.

Applejack
09-24-2016, 11:52 AM
What the LA Times article actually said (contrary to the headline) is that USC is more talented. Never forget, in this conference week in and out Utah mostly plays more talented teams. And Whit is 23-7 since Chris Hill tried to fire him.

That headline gets a "no duh!" from me. Usc is more talented than Utah? No shit.

LA Ute
09-24-2016, 11:56 AM
I can see his pov. When you are up 24-10 late, you have a crucial ineligible receiver and p I calls on the last two drives, you give up two fourth downs badly and your d line disappears, I might feel the same way. Comment intended to get them back on their feet.

Yeah, they should be disappointed. I get that. But I always try to say that when my team makes mistakes that costs them the game, that means they got outplayed. Usually the tema that makes the fewest mistakes wins.

Applejack
09-24-2016, 12:03 PM
Yeah, but that game was a gut punch for usc. On the road, New qb, rain, and you are still controlling the game. You seemingly can't be stopped. Then some things happen (the penalty on mama, the third down pi, all the 4th and shorts) and you lose the game when your lockdown db loses his shoe. I'm perfectly fine admitting we won one that we probably didn't deserve. A lot like 2 years ago, actually. But who cares? We won!

concerned
09-24-2016, 12:08 PM
Was anybody else worried about our clock management from about 2 minutes in? We took about 30 to 45 seconds to get the touchdown play in. If we had not scored on that play I don't know if we would have had enough time to do anything else. And we have two timeouts left on the board.moo

USS Utah
09-24-2016, 12:18 PM

This has a familiar ring to it, but I can't quite place it, like something from the distant past.

USS Utah
09-24-2016, 12:26 PM
Was anybody else worried about our clock management from about 2 minutes in? We took about 30 to 45 seconds to get the touchdown play in. If we had not scored on that play I don't know if we would have had enough time to do anything else. And we have two timeouts left on the board.moo

I was too busy worrying that Utah we would score too soon and give SC plenty of time to score.

LA Ute
09-24-2016, 12:35 PM

If the TD pass hadn't worked I think the next play would have been a FG.

U-Ute
09-24-2016, 12:38 PM
This picture is great.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160924/9cd695a1ec4dc3e40efbe6c2830a2429.jpg

concerned
09-24-2016, 12:39 PM
If the TD pass hadn't worked I think the next play would have been a FG.

I think so too. But we deprived ourselves of possibly running 2 or 3 more plays before kicking.

SeattleUte
09-24-2016, 01:08 PM
I agree with Chase Hansen. USC is definitely the BEST 1-3 team in the country. lol.

Well, maybe until later today, that is...

USC has probably played the toughest schedule in the country.

concerned
09-24-2016, 01:24 PM
USC has probably played the toughest schedule in the country.

Their schedule for the year is rated the most difficult in the country

NorthwestUteFan
09-24-2016, 02:37 PM
That headline gets a "no duh!" from me. Usc is more talented than Utah? No shit.
In addition to a "Thanks again for keeping your grubby hands off Whitt when you hired Helton..."

And an obligatory "Stay at Houston, Tom Herman!"

concerned
09-24-2016, 02:49 PM
I don't think so. We didn't risk it all on fourth down to buy just one play. We had time and two time outs. We didn't even have to pass or go sideline.

I watched the drive a minute ago. Moss got the first down with :42 left. We had two timeouts. We could have taken a timeout there, or spiked the ball. Instead, we let the clock run way down. The announcer even said a lot of time is running off the clock. There were :16 seconds left after the touchdown. If that had been incomplete, we would have had time for maybe two pass plays on second and third, and kicked on 4th with :01 left, if things worked out properly. But I am surprised we let the clock go from :42 to :16 on that play. That was not good management if we really wanted to use all four downs.

UTEopia
09-24-2016, 03:59 PM
I watched the drive a minute ago. Moss got the first down with :42 left. We had two timeouts. We could have taken a timeout there, or spiked the ball. Instead, we let the clock run way down. The announcer even said a lot of time is running off the clock. There were :16 seconds left after the touchdown. If that had been incomplete, we would have had time for maybe two pass plays on second and third, and kicked on 4th with :01 left, if things worked out properly. But I am surprised we let the clock go from :42 to :16 on that play. That was not good management if we really wanted to use all four downs.

Whit acknowledged in the post-game that he thought we could get the play off much quicker and had he known so much time would elapse, he would have called a TO. It was certainly poor time management and hopefully it is a lesson learned.

NorthwestUteFan
09-24-2016, 04:46 PM
At the same time, if Patrick hauled in the sure TD pass at 3:30 left, I don't know whether we would have kept USC out of the end zone on their next drive.

U-Ute
09-24-2016, 07:26 PM

Whittingham has been building this time since our entry into the P12. A real QB is the cherry on top of this dessert of awesomeness.

UTEopia
09-25-2016, 09:16 AM
This was a fun and a great win, but USC again exposed our defensive weaknesses. They did it last year and we had 2 very good linebackers and 2 additional run pluggers in Seni and Stevie.

To stop a strong running team, a defense needs to either have the talent upfront to require the OL to double team the DL or commit linebackers and maybe a safety to stopping the run. This leaves the DB's in either a cover 0 or with 1 deep safety.

A fully healthy Lowell and Stevie both command double teams up front. Without them, nobody on the DL really demands a double team. In order to stop the run, the LB's in a 4-3 and the SS when we only play 2 LBs are all focused on stopping the run. This leaves the CB's in man coverage with Williams playing deep safety. Because USC was able to effectively run the ball our LBs and SS were sucked into the run. USC would run a deep route on one side with No. 9 and a 15 yard dig or a deep slant on the other side. Williams has to help on No. 9. The LBs were protecting the run and could not drop deep enough and USC had a bunch of easy receptions over the middle.

Even with numbers in the box, the LBs did not do a very good job of taking on and shedding the blockers. Instead, they would try to avoid the blocker thus leaving their gap and allowing the RB to make big gains.

We need to get better play across the board or we will continue to see offenses be able to do what USC was able to do. Most of those teams lack the talent of USC, but it look like all of the offenses coming up are pretty darn good. It will be interesting to see what Whit and Scalley do moving forward.

Utah
09-25-2016, 11:07 AM
The good news is, the rest of the offenses are a lot more one dimensional.

LA Ute
09-25-2016, 02:34 PM
Trouble in paradise:

http://www.wearesc.com/forums/forum/main-category/main-forum/907946-7-years-2-divorces-4-fired-hcs-1-alcohol-addiction-3-ads-dozens-of-ruined-drafts

Irving Washington
09-25-2016, 04:21 PM
Trouble in paradise:

http://www.wearesc.com/forums/forum/main-category/main-forum/907946-7-years-2-divorces-4-fired-hcs-1-alcohol-addiction-3-ads-dozens-of-ruined-drafts

Would I be considered a "Junior Member" on this board?

NorthwestUteFan
09-25-2016, 05:27 PM
Would I be considered a "Junior Member" on this board?
We all are...

There is so much butthurt in that thread. There are a few level hearts, however. USC raises funds like a mo'trucker and fans expect that entitles them to winning all the time. So much of their smugness confess from that. There poster who only would have felt justified is they beat Utah by at least as points as last year just highlights the extent of that poster's level of delusion. The game last year was much closer than the score.

Now Utah has a QB who is more accurate with those dart passes over the middle which negated the sole reason for USC's win last year, which were the two Cameron Smith Pick Sixes and third near pick six.

There is a lot of parity in the PAC-12 this year and that fact is terrifying to usc fans. USC fans forget that the PAC-10 had at least 5 teams with at least 6 losses for all of the Pete Carroll years, and a few of those years had up to 8 teams with 5+ losses. This year, however, there are 8 teams who can beat everybody. But nobody will run the table.

Hell, in USC's 12-1 Rose Bowl-winning season in 2008 their sole loss was to Oregon State who lost to Utah.

Sometimes the ball didn't go in the hoop. USC can still regroup and win the next 8 straight. They will always be dangerous, and hopefully their fans will rise to the occasion and be worthy of the kids who play for them.