PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Ute football injuries thread

SeattleUte
10-10-2016, 10:16 AM
Can somebody summarize for us the status of injuries and depth, etc.? If you know any tidbit please post it. This team could do great things if the injuries don't kill it! Also, analysis regarding the team's ability or not to carry on notwithstanding injuries is welcome.

Applejack
10-10-2016, 10:50 AM
Can we approach Fumblin Joe and see if he wants back?

U-Ute
10-10-2016, 11:33 AM
This thread may be shorter if we simply list the players available to play.

Diehard Ute
10-10-2016, 12:03 PM
Jordan Howard out this week due to injury. Moss status is unknown. Manalo our only RB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diehard Ute
10-10-2016, 12:20 PM
Lo will probably not play Saturday either. So we'll keep the 4th string center.

Whitt says they might look at moving some players to RB. I did not see this coming when fumblin' Joe retired.

Whit said Nowakoski is an option at center but they're looking at other options as well.

Shyne's injury is so bad he'll miss all of spring ball too.

They'll give Henry-Cole reps this week at RB and may have to pull his redshirt

SeattleUte
10-10-2016, 12:20 PM
Jordan Howard out this week due to injury. Moss status is unknown. Manalo our only RB

Shyne is gone for sure?

How is Lowell L. doing?

Utah
10-10-2016, 12:22 PM
Shyne is gone for sure?

How is Lowell L. doing?

ESPN just texted me that Shyne is done for the year.

Diehard Ute
10-10-2016, 12:26 PM
ESPN just texted me that Shyne is done for the year.

As posted above, he will also miss spring ball

Diehard Ute
10-10-2016, 12:27 PM
Shyne is gone for sure?

How is Lowell L. doing?

He played the entire game so I assume he's fine.

Tim Patrick tried to warm up but limped off. They're hopeful he can play this week.

Zach Moss is a game time decision.

Troy McCormick wasn't mentioned and I assume he's out.

Utebiquitous
10-10-2016, 12:33 PM
Can somebody summarize for us the status of injuries and depth, etc.? If you know any tidbit please post it. This team could do great things if the injuries don't kill it! Also, analysis regarding the team's ability or not to carry on notwithstanding injuries is welcome.

Injuries I'm aware of:

Playing hurt:
-M. Williams - almost didn't play Saturday
-Porter
-Hatfield
-Lotulelei - good to have him back but playing hurt and in real need of a bye week
-T. Williams - Not too serious but hurt

Questionable:
-T. Patrick (game to game status)
-Moss
-Fulks

Out:
-Lo Falemaka
-Troy McCormick
-J. Howard
-Shyne - season-ending not confirmed
-Fitts - season-ending
-JJ Dielman - season-ending
-H. Lutui - pre season

That's what I know.

Ma'ake
10-10-2016, 12:39 PM
Whitt revealed more than he usually does, after the game. Moss is probably closer to being back than McCormick. Tim Patrick is "probable". Lowell Lotulelei played vs AZ and looked pretty good. He has a shoulder harness, but that's to be expected.

Manalo played a couple of snaps, but looked unprepared. Unless he's intending to follow Joe Williams, now is his chance.

Howard was good, but AZ's D was thin, and gassed. I'm guessing Howard was the insurance policy to keep Henry-Cole's redshirt intact.

Who has played RB on the scout team? Some of the freshman DBs? Alec Dana? Tyrell Burgess has already used his redshirt, is certainly athletic enough, but running in the box is a serious combat. Nygel King is a promising corner.

If we need some punch... Davr Hamilton? Hart? C Barton? I'm shooting in the dark, but those guys are bodies.

SeattleUte
10-10-2016, 12:48 PM
For all of you that want Utah's offense to open up, you may have your wish. I'm not joking, actually. Russell Wilson didn't really establish himself as a first-rate drop back passer until Marshawn Lynch was out. And he's only looked better since he's injured his knee and become less mobile.

Utah
10-10-2016, 12:54 PM
Whitt said he's talking to Joe Williams about a return.

Diehard Ute
10-10-2016, 01:05 PM
Whitt revealed more than he usually does, after the game. Moss is probably closer to being back than McCormick. Tim Patrick is "probable". Lowell Lotulelei played vs AZ and looked pretty good. He has a shoulder harness, but that's to be expected.

Manalo played a couple of snaps, but looked unprepared. Unless he's intending to follow Joe Williams, now is his chance.

Howard was good, but AZ's D was thin, and gassed. I'm guessing Howard was the insurance policy to keep Henry-Cole's redshirt intact.

Who has played RB on the scout team? Some of the freshman DBs? Alec Dana? Tyrell Burgess has already used his redshirt, is certainly athletic enough, but running in the box is a serious combat. Nygel King is a promising corner.

If we need some punch... Davr Hamilton? Hart? C Barton? I'm shooting in the dark, but those guys are bodies.

Pretty sure Dana is redshirting due to injury. (And he just had his tonsils removed)

The problem throwing anyone in at RB who hasn't been around the offense is blocking. If you're going to pull a redshirt you pull Henry-Cole before Davir.

Diehard Ute
10-10-2016, 01:08 PM
Injuries I'm aware of:

Playing hurt:
-M. Williams - almost didn't play Saturday
-Porter
-Hatfield
-Lotulelei - good to have him back but playing hurt and in real need of a bye week
-T. Williams - Not too serious but hurt

Questionable:
-T. Patrick (game to game status)
-Moss
-Fulks

Out:
-Lo Falemaka
-Troy McCormick
-J. Howard
-Shyne - season-ending not confirmed
-Fitts - season-ending
-JJ Dielman - season-ending
-H. Lutui - pre season

That's what I know.

Siale Fakailoatonga was also lost for the year.

5 season ending injuries as of now. 4 on offense.

Rocker Ute
10-10-2016, 01:16 PM
If Necessary Roughness taught me nothing else, there plenty of players to be found among the 35-year-old retired player, women's soccer, faculty, track team (but can't catch) crowds and even at your local dojo. I'm not even slightly worried about personnel losses because of it.

Applejack
10-10-2016, 02:05 PM
whitt said he's talking to joe williams about a return.

can we approach fumblin joe and see if he wants back?

swosh!

chrisrenrut
10-10-2016, 02:36 PM
If Necessary Roughness taught me nothing else, there plenty of players to be found among the 35-year-old retired player, women's soccer, faculty, track team (but can't catch) crowds and even at your local dojo. I'm not even slightly worried about personnel losses because of it.

Yeah, there are probably some guys taking CE classes in prison that might help.

https://uproxx.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/jerry-rices-hair.jpg?w=650

SeattleUte
10-10-2016, 02:37 PM
Are there people who are still calling for the offense to open up? What have they been watching this season?

Hot Lunch, MP funk, SoCal, concerned. I get it all the time via Ute friend outside here. Have you been living under a rock?

Utebiquitous
10-10-2016, 02:55 PM
Siale Fakailoatonga was also lost for the year.

5 season ending injuries as of now. 4 on offense.

That's right - forgot Siale. Diehard, this reminds me of the year Casteel had a season-ending injury. Seems to me had a few more that year as well. My memory recalls one of the Boone brothers being out. Were you with the team then and/or do you recall who else we lost that year? I just remember walking around a little bitter that year over injuries.

Rocker Ute
10-10-2016, 03:13 PM
Can we approach Fumblin Joe and see if he wants back?

I want him back just for the Fumblin' Joe nickname, way cooler than Ken Bone.

Diehard Ute
10-10-2016, 03:52 PM
That's right - forgot Siale. Diehard, this reminds me of the year Casteel had a season-ending injury. Seems to me had a few more that year as well. My memory recalls one of the Boone brothers being out. Were you with the team then and/or do you recall who else we lost that year? I just remember walking around a little bitter that year over injuries.

No, I was at the stadium from '99-'01

SeattleUte
10-10-2016, 03:59 PM
Does anyone know Moss's injury? He ran the last play against Cal.

NorthwestUteFan
10-10-2016, 04:06 PM
Moss has been struggling with stress fractures iirc.

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-10-2016, 04:23 PM
Moss has been struggling with stress fractures iirc.

People are saying the last two weeks have been turf toe.

UBlender
10-10-2016, 09:57 PM

That was 2007. We lost one of the Boone brothers (starting LT) in camp. In the first game Matt Asiata broke his leg and BJ hurt his shoulder. I believe Casteel went down in the second game and was gone for the season. I think there were others as well. It's the only season I can recall that even remotely resembles this one in terms of injuries. The upside was that lots of younger players were pressed into action that helped shape Utah's Sugar Bowl run the next year.

mpfunk
10-10-2016, 10:24 PM
Hot Lunch, MP funk, SoCal, concerned. I get it all the time via Ute friend outside here. Have you been living under a rock?
I think you have confused our calls for the offense to not play like shit with opening it up. We don't need to open it up, we need to convert in the red zone and reliably move the ball. We need to not play awful against bad defenses.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Utebiquitous
10-10-2016, 10:48 PM
Thanks Blender. That's right - wow! Lots of key guys out that year as well.

SeattleUte
10-10-2016, 11:05 PM
Thanks Blender. That's right - wow! Lots of key guys out that year as well.

'Biq, thanks for this year's information.

DrumNFeather
10-11-2016, 08:58 AM
It will be interesting to see if Fumblin Joe gets the passion back after seeing a depth chart that looks more favorable.

Pull that RS on Henry-Cole.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

U-Ute
10-11-2016, 03:14 PM
Manalo contemplates the return of Joe Williams at the 2:45 mark.

http://espn700sports.com/interviews/marcel-manalo-utah-running-back-10-10-16/

"I don't know, but I heard he is coming back. I believe he is coming back."

LA Ute
10-11-2016, 06:16 PM
My son tipped me off to this: It's all over Twitter that Joe Williams is coming back. Appears to have been confirmed. Goon, Kinahan both reporting it.

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-11-2016, 07:29 PM
http://espn700sports.com/utes/joe-williams-returns-to-utah-football/

LA Ute
10-11-2016, 07:33 PM
If he plays hard and with heart we should be OK. Especially if Moss and McCormick can come back and spell him. 10-15 carries a game each.

justaute
10-11-2016, 08:13 PM
Hopeful he doesn't pull a fast one like Arod. :)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Applejack
10-11-2016, 08:15 PM
Did I mention my SWISH yet?

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-11-2016, 11:14 PM
All I know is that if this kid comes in and blows his knee up, the poor man is never going to hear the end of it from his fiancé.

chrisrenrut
10-12-2016, 08:51 AM
Maybe time to update this picture. Change "Running Backs" to "Running Back", and show the others all laying on the ground instead.

U-Ute
10-12-2016, 10:00 AM
Maybe time to update this picture. Change "Running Backs" to "Running Back", and show the others all laying on the ground instead.

"Fear being a running back"

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-14-2016, 08:44 AM

Yeah. This theme of a bunch of dead wide receivers didn't do us any favors either.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161014/6508d479c55839f718bbe24b3e5a2910.jpg

Diehard Ute
10-15-2016, 04:22 PM
To update during the game

Marcus Williams in street clothes with a leg brace

Tauteloi taken to the locker room on a cart.

Applejack
10-16-2016, 07:53 AM
Any updates on Marcus?

LA Ute
10-16-2016, 08:10 AM
Can anyone remember a Utah season with more injuries?

Brian
10-16-2016, 08:13 AM
Can anyone remember a Utah season with more injuries?

was listening to Hans and Christian cox last night on their postgame.
Hans said something about issues with UA footwear, stability and that it might be a factor.
Lots of lower injuries.

Brian
10-16-2016, 09:06 AM
Hans mentioned that he was working on gathering data on UA teams and number of injuries.
I don't know what kind of data could be gathered because I don't know how detailed any injury reports are. Likely not very.
But in the end it doesn't matter. You need depth. I hope we're deep enough.

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-16-2016, 12:35 PM
was listening to Hans and Christian cox last night on their postgame.
Hans said something about issues with UA footwear, stability and that it might be a factor.
Lots of lower injuries.

Well this should be interesting. The whole UA/injury connection seems like we're venturing into Trump conspiracy theories territory. Here's a clip of when Williams got hurt:

https://twitter.com/kuntakente22/status/787476298327175168

Hard to make a connection to footwear there.

Brian
10-16-2016, 01:15 PM
Just reporting what I heard on the radio.....
maybe he has a tin foil hat or maybe UA makes crappy stuff. I don't know.

Diehard Ute
10-16-2016, 02:51 PM
Just reporting what I heard on the radio.....
maybe he has a tin foil hat or maybe UA makes crappy stuff. I don't know.

I think it's more the idea that something or someone is always to blame, and that's the only target there is to blame.

It's a societal thing. People want a fall guy these days. (See our presidential race)

SeattleUte
10-19-2016, 10:53 AM
Any updates?

DrumNFeather
10-19-2016, 11:10 AM
Any updates?

Whit said that they don't believe the injuries to Marcus Williams to Tateoli to be season-ending...but neither was on the depth chart for this week.

concerned
10-19-2016, 11:18 AM
What about Patrick, Moss, McCormick, the center who was injured at Cal? Are they on the depth chart? Prognosis?

Utah
10-19-2016, 11:50 AM
Utah is hopeful that Patrick will be back for UCLA, Moss should be back for UCLA. No Marcus, no Tauteoli, no McCormick. Lo should be back for UCLA. No word on Handley.

UBlender
10-19-2016, 01:56 PM
Patrick played a few snaps vs Oregon State but was never targeted. My assumption was that he was ready to go but Utah felt like they could win without him and that they wouldn't be throwing much in those conditions anyway so they didn't want to risk aggravating his injury. Of course I could be wrong.

I've seen someone elsewhere who claims to know Tauteoli that says he probably won't be back until the bowl game (pure, unverified rumor FWIW).

chrisrenrut
10-19-2016, 02:19 PM
Utah is hopeful that Patrick will be back for UCLA, Moss should be back for UCLA. No Marcus, no Tauteoli, no McCormick. Lo should be back for UCLA. No word on Handley.

I initially read this as if you were speaking of yourself in third person :D

Utah
10-19-2016, 02:25 PM
I initially read this as if you were speaking of yourself in third person :D

lol. Utah doesn't like injuries. Utah wants Utah to win. Utah hates all football Southern California related. But, Utah does like Disneyland...and Elaine.