PDA

View Full Version : Hello, Utah by 5. I'm Hayes6.

Hayes6
10-24-2016, 01:17 PM
I graduated from the U 35 years ago. I was on the field in the band when the team pierced each others' ears on the 50 yard line in 1978 after beating BYU. BYU was a nice little rivalry, but I'm hoping it will continue to fade away.

I have season football and men's and women's basketball tickets.

I have lurked here for many years and admired your respect for each other and your insight.

Applejack
10-24-2016, 01:29 PM
I graduated from the U 35 years ago. I was on the field in the band when the team pierced each others' ears on the 50 yard line in 1978 after beating BYU. BYU was a nice little rivalry, but I'm hoping it will continue to fade away.

I have lurked here for many years and admired your respect for each other and your insight.

Welcome. It's good to have you, even though you hate playing BYU like so many on here (what up, Wally!(.

Rocker Ute
10-24-2016, 01:40 PM
Welcome. It's good to have you, even though you hate playing BYU like so many on here (what up, Wally!(.

Count me as one wishing the rivalry would go away. I just want to be on record for that.

mpfunk
10-24-2016, 01:45 PM
Count me as one wishing the rivalry would go away. I just want to be on record for
that.

The rivalry must live. I like beating our rival on a yearly basis. It is good to have a guaranteed win on the schedule like BYU. It is the perfect B game.

mpfunk
10-24-2016, 01:46 PM

What do I have to do to get consistent mentions from you as an advocate for the rivalry. I demand my rivalry ally cookies damnit.

chrisrenrut
10-24-2016, 01:52 PM
Welcome Hayes6.

I'm in favor of continuing the BYU and USU rivalries in some form or another.

Applejack
10-24-2016, 01:55 PM
Count me as one wishing the rivalry would go away. I just want to be on record for that.

You'reonrecordalready!

Applejack
10-24-2016, 01:56 PM
What do I have to do to get consistent mentions from you as an advocate for the rivalry. I demand my rivalry ally cookies damnit.

Fix my keyboard (which works now). That would be a start.

LA Ute
10-24-2016, 01:58 PM

We must be contemporaries or close to it. I graduated from the U in 1979 and the law school in 1982. If you knew me then I ask for forgiveness for everything I did to offend or annoy you. ��

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hayes6
10-24-2016, 02:33 PM
We must be contemporaries or
close to it. I graduated from the U in 1979 and the law school in 1982. If you knew me then I ask for forgiveness for everything I did to offend or annoy you. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I graduated from law school in 85, so you must be way, way older than I am.

I'm not saying we should never play them. But they do take up the "A" game slot. Maybe we play them on a rotation with USU, Weber and SUU? Give them a home and home so we play them twice every five years?

U-Ute
10-24-2016, 02:56 PM
I graduated from law school in 85, so you must be way, way older than I am.

I'm not saying we should never play them. But they do take up the "A" game slot. Maybe we play them on a rotation with USU, Weber and SUU? Give them a home and home so we play them twice every five years?

I agree with the "A" slot, and I think we should try to schedule other schools in that slot (Michigan was great), but I have no problem with keeping them on the schedule once every 4 years. If we continue to beat them, it will go a long ways to capturing the local recruiting market.

LA Ute
10-24-2016, 03:23 PM
I agree with the "A" slot, and I think we should try to schedule other schools in that slot (Michigan was great), but I have no problem with keeping them on the schedule once every 4 years. If we continue to beat them, it will go a long ways to capturing the local recruiting market.

If they had joined the B12 there would have been an argument for an annual game. But no, so I agree with this!

concerned
10-24-2016, 03:32 PM
If they had joined the B12 there would have been an argument for an annual game. But no, so I agree with this!

the irony is that the standings this year may catapult Colorado to rivalry status. The trigger to the beginning of a rivalry is a meaningful game. maybe this will start something, and lessen the pressure to play BYU. I would vote never to play them again, but certainly not more than once in a while.

Hayes6
10-24-2016, 05:01 PM
the irony is that the standings this year may catapult Colorado to rivalry status. The trigger to the beginning of a rivalry is a meaningful game. maybe this will start something, and lessen the pressure to play BYU. I would vote never to play them again, but certainly not more than once in a while.

We need to get the Buffs back for 2011. That was the worst loss ever in my mind. We would have won the South in our first freakin' year but for that game.

NorthwestUteFan
10-25-2016, 12:12 AM
We need to get the Buffs back for 2011. That was the worst loss ever in my mind. We would have won the South in our first freakin' year but for that game.
John White IV was dinged up, but our 2nd string RB never was the same after the byu game. He couldn't push off or cut as well as before, and he just couldn't get that short yardage 1st down to seal the win. (Or was that an attempt to get us closer for a FG?I can't recall, the game was too painful).

He was the victim of an Ogletree alligator roll (well after the whistle, and on the broadcast). Had a high ankle sprain after that.

Welcome, Hayes6!

Utah
10-25-2016, 10:31 AM
Welcome! We'd be crazy to put BYU as a "B" or "C" slot. Teams with hard schedules don't win titles. Let's take the Washington route to scheduling. They've done it right. IF we play BYU, they are an "A" slot game. Putting them as a B or C game...that's taking your team from 9+ wins to 7 wins. It's too hard.

U-Ute
10-25-2016, 10:44 AM
John White IV was dinged up, but our 2nd string RB never was the same after the byu game. He couldn't push off or cut as well as before, and he just couldn't get that short yardage 1st down to seal the win. (Or was that an attempt to get us closer for a FG?I can't recall, the game was too painful).

Vakapuna wudnit?

Utah
10-25-2016, 12:21 PM
Vakapuna wudnit?

Yup. If we don't play BYU that year, and Ogletree doesn't roll Vakapuna's ankle, we win the south that year.

NorthwestUteFan
10-25-2016, 03:20 PM
Tauni Vakapuna, yes. Couldn't recall his name. But the gator roll destruction of his ankle is seared into my memory.