PDA

View Full Version : Utah Lacrosse

OceanBlue
11-23-2016, 07:02 AM
Lots of rumors that the Utes will have a varsity men's lacrosse program in the near future. They hired Brian Holman as head coach who was with UNC the past few years. The website Laxpower has discussion on this topic but nobody from Utah seems to be participating. Any thoughts here ?

chrisrenrut
11-23-2016, 11:00 AM
Lots of rumors that the Utes will have a varsity men's lacrosse program in the near future. They hired Brian Holman as head coach who was with UNC the past few years. The website Laxpower has discussion on this topic but nobody from Utah seems to be participating. Any thoughts here ?

I thought I read somewhere that the U was adding Lacrosse, along with Beach Volleyball and maybe one other sport. But all I can find now are references to Beach Volleyball. My Google-fu skills might be lacking.

Diehard Ute
11-23-2016, 02:39 PM
I thought I read somewhere that the U was adding Lacrosse, along with Beach Volleyball and maybe one other sport. But all I can find now are references to Beach Volleyball. My Google-fu skills might be lacking.

Nothing has been officially announced about Lacrosse. There was an article quoting the new coach as saying he was promised D1 status by 2018 and they had a plan in place.

Nothing has been confirmed locally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-23-2016, 04:29 PM
Nothing has been officially announced about Lacrosse. There was an article quoting the new coach as saying he was promised D1 status by 2018 and they had a plan in place.

Nothing has been confirmed locally

I've seen high schoolers who play LAX "committing" to Utah. Do club teams get commits?

Devildog
11-25-2016, 09:44 PM
I hope they do. My friends kid plays lacrosse for the U right now. He is a good man. He played quarterback for us in little league football. Hell of an athlete. The U would do well given time to develop in D1.

SeattleUte
12-02-2016, 03:01 PM
It's true. I donated to the Lacrosse program. My nephew was the first scholarship recruit. If you want to donate, let me know, and I'll send you a link. LA?

LA Ute
12-02-2016, 07:54 PM
It's true. I donated to the Lacrosse program. My nephew was the first scholarship recruit. If you want to donate, let me know, and I'll send you a link. LA?

Do you think donations to the lacrosse program will help overcome the U's structural limitations on recruiting in that sport?

SeattleUte
12-04-2016, 05:25 PM
Do you think donations to the lacrosse program will help overcome the U's structural limitations on recruiting in that sport?

I will not be mocked.

LA Ute
12-04-2016, 06:59 PM
I will not be mocked.

😜...

Dwight Schr-Ute
06-15-2017, 02:50 PM
It sounds like the Board will be approving to add Men's Lacrosse as a Division I sport tomorrow morning. According to the agenda, they've allotted 10 minutes for the discussion, so it should be pretty heated. I'd rather have men's track to get us some more burners for the football team. Maybe this will attract better linebackers.

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5407541-155/u-of-us-board-of-trustees

sancho
06-15-2017, 02:54 PM
I'd rather have men's track to get us some more burners for the football team.

Or men's soccer or men's hockey to get us a sport that is actually watchable and is not just a place for rich white kids whose parents wouldn't let them play football.

What a waste of scholarships.

Dwight Schr-Ute
06-15-2017, 03:01 PM
Or men's soccer or men's hockey to get us a sport that is actually watchable and is not just a place for rich white kids whose parents wouldn't let them play football.

What a waste of scholarships.

There's some chatter about this all being pushed by some big donor. Travel expenses alone are going to be pretty stiff since all of the teams are on the East coast.

Scratch
06-15-2017, 03:03 PM
Isn't there a booster who's basically footing the bill for this? I thought that was why we were getting LAX.

U-Ute
06-15-2017, 03:05 PM
Apparently this is being pushed by David Neeleman.

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5204429-155/utah-lacrosse-builds-toward-division-i?fullpage=1

sancho
06-15-2017, 03:10 PM
Isn't there a booster who's basically footing the bill for this? I thought that was why we were getting LAX.

It still takes men's scholarships away through Title IX, right? Still hurts our chances of adding better sports.

Diehard Ute
06-16-2017, 09:00 AM
It's now official.

Team will have 40 players, but lacrosse only has 12.6 allowed scholarships (players are usually given partial scholarships in sports with limits like that)

With the addition of beach volleyball and Utahs student demographics Utah will have no Title IX issues.

$15.6 Million endowment will fund the program.

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5410203-155/utah-utes-to-add-mens-lacrosse

concerned
06-16-2017, 09:24 AM
It's now official.

Team will have 40 players, but lacrosse only has 12.6 allowed scholarships (players are usually given partial scholarships in sports with limits like that)

With the addition of beach volleyball and Utahs student demographics Utah will have no Title IX issues.

$15.6 Million endowment will fund the program.

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5410203-155/utah-utes-to-add-mens-lacrosse

I am surprised the U has more male than female students. the opposite of the national trend.

SoCalPat
06-16-2017, 09:30 AM
Conference affiliation will be an interesting topic. Air Force plays in the Southern Conference with Richmond, Furman, Bellarmine, Jacksonville State, Mercer, High Point and VMI.

Denver plays in the Big East with Villanova, Georgetown, St. John's, Villanova and Marquette.

There are two schools that are independent -- Hampton and NJIT. Given the far-flung nature of collegiate lacrosse, this is certainly a possibility, but I'm hopeful that our financial commitment to the sport pushes a good league or two to welcome Utah as an affiliate member (why not the Big 10?)

Diehard Ute
06-16-2017, 09:39 AM
Conference affiliation will be an interesting topic. Air Force plays in the Southern Conference with Richmond, Furman, Bellarmine, Jacksonville State, Mercer, High Point and VMI.

Denver plays in the Big East with Villanova, Georgetown, St. John's, Villanova and Marquette.

There are two schools that are independent -- Hampton and NJIT. Given the far-flung nature of collegiate lacrosse, this is certainly a possibility, but I'm hopeful that our financial commitment to the sport pushes a good league or two to welcome Utah as an affiliate member (why not the Big 10?)

And it'll be interesting to see what the Pac-12 does. Larry Scott is high on lacrosse (and his kids play apparently

Diehard Ute
06-16-2017, 09:58 AM
I am surprised the U has more male than female students. the opposite of the national trend.

I think local culture has something to do with that.

U-Ute
06-16-2017, 10:03 AM
I think local culture has something to do with that.

This. Sadly.

sancho
06-16-2017, 10:19 AM
(and his kids play apparently

Of course they do.

sancho
06-16-2017, 10:20 AM

Travel partner? How often to teams play? Does a travel partner even make sense? DU is king of minor men's team sports.

SoCalPat
06-16-2017, 11:31 AM
Travel partner? How often to teams play? Does a travel partner even make sense? DU is king of minor men's team sports.

The three leagues I looked up (SoCon, Big East and Big 10) all played one game against each other, no traditional H-H.

Not sure if a travel partner is especially significant. Look at Denver and AFA.

SoCalPat
06-16-2017, 11:34 AM
And it'll be interesting to see what the Pac-12 does. Larry Scott is high on lacrosse (and his kids play apparently

We are many years away from the Pac-12 being involved to the point where we have 6 teams needed to be recognized as a sanctioning league. I doubt Larry has much pull here -- there are many sports that don't have full league membership. Lacrosse is still very much a niche, regional sport, but maybe what's being done at Utah can inspire a like-minded donor to do likewise at another school.

SoCalPat
06-16-2017, 11:38 AM
We are many years away from the Pac-12 being involved to the point where we have 6 teams needed to be recognized as a sanctioning league. I doubt Larry has much pull here -- there are many sports that don't have full league membership. Lacrosse is still very much a niche, regional sport, but maybe what's being done at Utah can inspire a like-minded donor to do likewise at another school.

That said, with DU and AFA, and now Utah, we only need three more schools in the West in order to recognize the sport. If six is the minimum, though, I gotta imagine at least four have to be full-fledged Pac-12 schools. If the makeup can be less than that, it could happen later as opposed to much, much later.

sancho
06-16-2017, 11:49 AM
Does this mean Utah was 12 men's scholarships short on Title IX compliance?

Over a million Americans watched USA/Mexico play soccer on Sunday. That's more people than have collectively watched every lacrosse game in the long, inconsequential history of that sport.

Men's soccer and hockey are last two relevant sports missing at the U. Maybe track is relevant. You could argue that.

Dwight Schr-Ute
06-16-2017, 12:24 PM
The biggest shocker to me regarding today's announcement was the 40 man roster. What the hell?!

Diehard Ute
06-16-2017, 12:44 PM
The biggest shocker to me regarding today's announcement was the 40 man roster. What the hell?!

Seems the average is 45.

OceanBlue
02-01-2019, 07:20 AM
Looks like Vermont is playing the Utes on the PAC 12 network tonight. I really want to see how Utah does in what I think is their opener.
Vermont isn't Hopkins but they usually have good teams.

SeattleUte
02-01-2019, 04:08 PM
Looks like Vermont is playing the Utes on the PAC 12 network tonight. I really want to see how Utah does in what I think is their opener.
Vermont isn't Hopkins but they usually have good teams.

Go Utes!

SeattleUte
02-01-2019, 05:46 PM
https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-utes/2019/01/31/welcome-salt-lax-city/