12-29-2016, 07:50 PM
Starting off with some good news:

The Thrill
12-29-2016, 07:58 PM
Woohoo!!

Starting off with some good news:

Ultimate Ute
01-01-2017, 09:27 PM
The Tournament of Roses hosts the greatest football game on earth, the NFL/College Football Playoff tastes like deep fried cardboard in comparison.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-02-2017, 04:01 PM
Marcus Williams declares. 816050336473300992

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170102/40feac15eee726aeb7356ff7b1613e92.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-03-2017, 03:59 PM
If you're not following Andy Phillips' and Tom Hackett's podcast 4th and Long, then you should. It really is a great, honest look at things inside the program. This week's episode is especially enlightening discussing the culture and some of the inefficiencies that may be contributing to late season burn out. A lot of good stuff in here: https://www.spreaker.com/user/broadwaymedia/4th-and-long-1-3-17

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-04-2017, 07:39 PM
Bolles declares. #he'sgone

NorthwestUteFan
01-04-2017, 08:01 PM

Come to Seattle, Garrett!

sancho
01-04-2017, 08:19 PM

Bummer. There is one thing I know for sure - I would max my time in college if I could. It's so much more fun than work.

UTEopia
01-04-2017, 08:50 PM
If you're not following Andy Phillips' and Tom Hackett's podcast 4th and Long, then you should. It really is a great, honest look at things inside the program. This week's episode is especially enlightening discussing the culture and some of the inefficiencies that may be contributing to late season burn out. A lot of good stuff in here: https://www.spreaker.com/user/broadwaymedia/4th-and-long-1-3-17

Kyle has made significant changes to the in-season practice regimen since joining the PAC 12. Prior to joining the PAC 12, Monday was pretty much a full practice for the travel squad. It is now a full practice for the scout team players, a longer film day and walk through for the travel squad. Tuesday was known as bloody Tuesday, a day when everyone went in full pads, there was live contact and the lengthy practice. Tuesday is now roughly 20 minutes shorter than it used to be and there is no live contact work. Wednesday was formerly a limited edition of the old Tuesday and is now a limited edition of the new Tuesday. Thursday was and still is polish day.

I'm not commenting one way or another on what Hackett and Phillips had to say except to say that Whit has made some dramatic changes to the in-season practice regimen. Maybe additional modifications are needed. I don't know. My view of this past November is that I am not sure it had anything to do with fatigue. Utah played its best offensive game of the season against UCLA and then came home and played a tough game against Washington. The team then had 12 days between games and the offense, with the exception of the two early miscues, did pretty well against ASU. They then fell flat on their faces against Oregon and followed that up by laying an egg against Colorado.

I could easily be wrong, but I don't think the losses to Oregon and CU can be attributed to over working the team.

SeattleUte
01-04-2017, 08:58 PM
So we don't have a freak of nature on the OL. It was fun while it lasted. Good for him. OL, DB, I take for granted whit has those positions stacked. This will help recruiting. Better losing Bolles than Huntley or Williams or another offensive skill player.

UtahsMrSports
01-04-2017, 09:16 PM
At almost 25 years old, Bolles leaving is a no brainer. Good luck to him!

Applejack
01-05-2017, 08:08 AM
Ok, with the departure of Bolles, I'm officially worried about our O-line for next year. :Ashamed:

We lose the meaty left side of our line (Bolles, Asiata, Dielman): all with a decent chance of playing in the league. Plus, we lose our right tackle, Tevi. That's a lot to lose. So who do we put in their spots?

Lo Falamaka(C): He'll be a senior next year and was the starting center this year when he was healthy. Health is a big question mark, but we'll look to him to provide stability.
Salesi Uhatafe (RG): The only returning player who was penciled in to start last year as well. He'll need to show more next year.
Jackson Barton (LT?): He was a big time recruit for us, so I am a little worried that he hasn't played that much for us until now (he'll be a redshirt junior). What do others who have watched him play think? Is he capable?
Darrin Paulo (LG): The big sophmore (RS) gets a lot of praise from the coaches so I am hopeful he can fill the spot vacated by Asiata without too many growing pains.
Right Tackle? A lot of names, lots of youth, but no experience for this spot. Johnny Capra is the big recruit that you'd hope assumes the mantel, but other redshirt sophomores (Kevin Dixon, Scott Peck [is he a freshman]) could challenge. This position gives me heartburn because I haven't heard from the coaches about any of these guys, and someone will be starting next fall. Gulp.

Other names you're likely to hear: Nick Carmen, Jake Grant, Tucker Scott (all are freshmen or sophomores, all probably guards or centers).

Diehard Ute
01-05-2017, 08:15 AM
Ok, with the departure of Bolles, I'm officially worried about our O-line for next year. :Ashamed:

We lose the meaty left side of our line (Bolles, Asiata, Dielman): all with a decent chance of playing in the league. Plus, we lose our right tackle, Tevi. That's a lot to lose. So who do we put in their spots?

Lo Falamaka(C): He'll be a senior next year and was the starting center this year when he was healthy. Health is a big question mark, but we'll look to him to provide stability.
Salesi Uhatafe (RG): The only returning player who was penciled in to start last year as well. He'll need to show more next year.
Jackson Barton (LT?): He was a big time recruit for us, so I am a little worried that he hasn't played that much for us until now (he'll be a redshirt junior). What do others who have watched him play think? Is he capable?
Darrin Paulo (LG): The big sophmore (RS) gets a lot of praise from the coaches so I am hopeful he can fill the spot vacated by Asiata without too many growing pains.
Right Tackle? A lot of names, lots of youth, but no experience for this spot. Johnny Capra is the big recruit that you'd hope assumes the mantel, but other redshirt sophomores (Kevin Dixon, Scott Peck [is he a freshman]) could challenge. This position gives me heartburn because I haven't heard from the coaches about any of these guys, and someone will be starting next fall. Gulp.

Other names you're likely to hear: Nick Carmen, Jake Grant, Tucker Scott (all are freshmen or sophomores, all probably guards or centers).

You're forgetting Jordan Agasiva

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/217201/jordan-agasiva

And Barton actually played quite a bit. He just had Tevi and Bolles to compete with

Applejack
01-05-2017, 08:44 AM

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/217201/jordan-agasiva

And Barton actually played quite a bit. He just had Tevi and Bolles to compete with

Yes, Barton did play and I get some comfort knowing that the tackles in front of him are likely going pro.

concerned
01-05-2017, 08:47 AM

I heard Chow on the radio last week raving about Agasiva. Said we got a really good one. Talk is cheap, of course. fwiw.

Applejack
01-05-2017, 09:00 AM
I heard Chow on the radio last week raving about Agasiva. Said we got a really good one. Talk is cheap, of course. fwiw.

Assuming that Chow is right, that just pushes Darrin Paulo back. He's not big enough to play tackle, right?

Diehard Ute
01-05-2017, 09:03 AM
Assuming that Chow is right, that just pushes Darrin Paulo back. He's not big enough to play tackle, right?

Agasiva is a tackle and that's his preference. He's 6'5" and over 300.

Applejack
01-05-2017, 09:22 AM
Agasiva is a tackle and that's his preference. He's 6'5" and over 300.

That would be welcome news. I just ask because the espn site you provided lists him as a guard.

Diehard Ute
01-05-2017, 09:37 AM
That would be welcome news. I just ask because the espn site you provided lists him as a guard.

He can play either, but his JC coach said he's a tackle, prefers to play tackle, but can play guard if needed.

sancho
01-05-2017, 09:40 AM
He can play either, but his JC coach said he's a tackle, prefers to play tackle, but can play guard if needed.

At 6'5", 300, maybe we can play him at both simultaneously. Free up a space. I'd like to see both Troy Williams and Huntley on the field at the same time. #innovation

U-Ute
01-05-2017, 10:09 AM
Bummer. There is one thing I know for sure - I would max my time in college if I could. It's so much more fun than work.

That's because you don't have NFL money. It's a lot more fun when you have NFL money.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-05-2017, 10:14 AM
About 30 minutes after Bolles declared, we offered George Moore, a four star Washington State decommit. Sounds like he'll take a visit soon.

http://www.scout.com/player/174983-george-moore

UBlender
01-05-2017, 10:22 AM
About 30 minutes after Bolles declared, we offered George Moore, a four star Washington State decommit. Sounds like he'll take a visit soon.

http://www.scout.com/player/174983-george-moore

Utah really needs to get Moore. That would give us (on paper) six quality OL. Then we need another couple of the younger OL who have been in the program to step up and become playable. It still wouldn't be as good as this last year's OL but could be decent. Jim Harding has been money both in recruiting and getting a quality OL on the field so I wouldn't bet against him--it may also help that he will no longer have to worry about OC stuff and may be able to focus more on his OL.

Diehard Ute
01-05-2017, 10:29 AM
Utah really needs to get Moore. That would give us (on paper) six quality OL. Then we need another couple of the younger OL who have been in the program to step up and become playable. It still wouldn't be as good as this last year's OL but could be decent. Jim Harding has been money both in recruiting and getting a quality OL on the field so I wouldn't bet against him--it may also help that he will no longer have to worry about OC stuff and may be able to focus more on his OL.

I can't help but think what he's done with Asiata, Tevi and especially Bolles will help.

While Bolles has natural gifts the progress he made in one season was very noticeable. And in his statement that he was turning pro, his praise for Harding was very noticeable

U-Ute
01-05-2017, 11:09 AM
I can't help but think what he's done with Asiata, Tevi and especially Bolles will help.

While Bolles has natural gifts the progress he made in one season was very noticeable. And in his statement that he was turning pro, his praise for Harding was very noticeable

I love Harding's personality and fire. The "Well f*****g fire me!" moment on TV was classic. On the surface it would seem the perfect fit to coach the hogs up front.

UBlender
01-05-2017, 03:07 PM

Utah's recruiting pitch to George Moore should just be links to Bolles' name in mock draft first rounds with the comment, "hey look what we did with the last JC stud OT in one season."

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-06-2017, 11:35 PM
Jordan Agasiva officially in. Lots of early enrollies this year.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-09-2017, 04:26 PM
Interview with Kyle Whittingham. In the interview he says that Taylor will be very involved in the RB coach hiring process...or there may not be a new hire for the RB coach. Goon wonders aloud if this would mean Fred Whittingham gets moved to RB coach and they hire a TE coach.

http://espn700sports.com/interviews/kyle-whittingham-utah-utes-fb-hc-1-9-17/

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-11-2017, 10:59 AM

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-11-2017, 11:01 AM

Sullyute
01-11-2017, 11:54 AM
Early signing would be great for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DrumNFeather
01-17-2017, 11:19 AM
Per Bruce Feldman, our new RBs coach will be EWU RBs coach Kiel McDonald.

http://goeags.com/coaches.aspx?rc=16&path=

concerned
01-17-2017, 11:23 AM
anybody else worried that Cal got the EWU head coach as oc, and he called all the plays last year? I hope Taylor is great, but he is a little inexperienced.

sancho
01-17-2017, 11:24 AM
Per Bruce Feldman, our new RBs coach will be EWU RBs coach Kiel McDonald.

EWU has been gutted! I wonder if we got the better EWU OC or if Cal did. Time will tell, I guess.

Pro: I like that McDonald and Taylor are pals and are presumably on the same page when it comes to the offense.

Con: We only get so many assistants, and recruiting is the most important aspect of their job. I can't imaging that either Taylor or McDonald has a deep, vast recruiting network.

Scratch
01-17-2017, 11:24 AM
anybody else worried that Cal got the EWU head coach as oc, and he called all the plays last year? I hope Taylor is great, but he is a little inexperienced.

Where are you getting this from? Taylor called the plays last year

sancho
01-17-2017, 11:28 AM

Fine, but Baldwin was at EWU for 8 years. He was at the head for the recent rise of that program, right? Taylor was only there for a year, and he took over an offense that had been successful for years.

I think it's fair to wonder if Cal got the better EWU Eagle.

concerned
01-17-2017, 11:33 AM

the Cal press releases annoncing the hiring of the head coach, and related publicity

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-17-2017, 11:43 AM

All I know is that we got to pick first and we got the guy that Kyle wanted. Whether that guy is the right guy, time will tell. But we got the guy that Kyle thought would do the best.

Scratch
01-17-2017, 12:02 PM
the Cal press releases annoncing the hiring of the head coach, and related publicity

Everything I've seen is that Baldwin used to call plays, but he handed that to Taylor last year when Taylor came aboard. Taylor is on record saying he called every play last year.

Diehard Ute
01-17-2017, 03:38 PM
Fine, but Baldwin was at EWU for 8 years. He was at the head for the recent rise of that program, right? Taylor was only there for a year, and he took over an offense that had been successful for years.

I think it's fair to wonder if Cal got the better EWU Eagle.

Yet it was Taylor who turned a walk on QB into a record setter in one year.

Taylor coached Jake Browning since the 5th grade. The kid threw 200+ TD's in HS.

And Taylor took a good offense at EWU and upper their yards and PPG for the one season he was there.

sancho
01-17-2017, 03:42 PM
Yet it was Taylor who turned a walk on QB into a record setter in one year.

Taylor coached Jake Browning since the 5th grade. The kid threw 200+ TD's in HS.

And Taylor took a good offense at EWU and upper their yards and PPG for the one season he was there.

I'm with you and Dwight. We got the guy we wanted. It will be interesting now to see how it all pans out.

LA Ute
01-17-2017, 08:11 PM
This guy has us ranked 32nd this year.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/213426488/college-football-way-too-early-rankings-2017

USC is 4th, Washington 10th. Stanford is 13, Washington State is 24, Oregon is 25, and UCLA is right behind us at number 33. I don't think we got much benefit of the doubt.

DrumNFeather
01-18-2017, 10:00 AM
Per FBS Schedules, the Pac 12 is set to release its schedule today...

My early guess....we play USC in September...

SeattleUte
01-18-2017, 10:09 AM
This guy has us ranked 32nd this year.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/213426488/college-football-way-too-early-rankings-2017

USC is 4th, Washington 10th. Stanford is 13, Washington State is 24, Oregon is 25, and UCLA is right behind us at number 33. I don't think we got much benefit of the doubt.

I disagree that Utah needs to "rebuild" its pass rush. That's too extreme. We also have a strong DB pipeline, and all the key offensive skill positions are returned or covered.

U-Ute
01-18-2017, 10:12 AM
Warning: the following video may cause serious football withdrawl.

And apparently the next video is going to be better.

Oh, and I added support for Vimeo videos. The BBCode is: vimeo

sancho
01-18-2017, 11:06 AM
Football schedule:

https://pac-12.com/football/schedule/20170801-20180731

DrumNFeather
01-18-2017, 11:10 AM
12-0 :jig:

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-18-2017, 11:11 AM
Football schedule:

https://pac-12.com/football/schedule/20170801-20180731

I wish that bye was a little later.

sancho
01-18-2017, 11:12 AM
Football schedule:

At Arizona for a Friday game, so a short week there after SJSU in SLC. Short week for UCLA as well (at home after @Oregon).

Early bye before Stanford (homecoming?).

No back to back road trips.

Five teams finished ranked. Of the other four, we have Stanford/USC back to back, and we have UW/CU back to back.

sancho
01-18-2017, 11:19 AM
I wish that bye was a little later.

Yeah, like one week later, between Stanford and USC.

concerned
01-18-2017, 11:22 AM
No Oregon state or Cal--next years schedule much harder; we miss the two bottom feeders

Applejack
01-18-2017, 11:53 AM
No Oregon state or Cal--next years schedule much harder; we miss the two bottom feeders

Yeah, but we add Stanford, and as everyone knows we don't lose to Stanford.

Sancho :cheers: Applejack

LA Ute
01-18-2017, 12:27 PM
Warning: the following video may cause serious football withdrawl.

Wow, that is really well done.

Utah
01-18-2017, 10:25 PM
This schedule is much tougher than last year, but I think as hard as the opponents are, they were scheduled as softly as possible. No back to back road games. Maybe the bye could be later, but still, very fair.

Colorado's schedule and USC's are soft as soft can be. I'm not sure you could have an easier schedule..oh wait, Washington 2017. That being said, I don't see where USC loses a game next year.

I think USC wins the south. Utah, UCLA and Colorado fill in 2, 3, and 4. ASU comes in a distant 5th and Arizona is sixth.

Wouldn't surprise me if USC wins it all next year. Unfortunately, Helton is running USC right. Tough defense, run the ball, let your talent beat the other teams and don't beat yourself. We may have missed our chance this last year to win the south/PAC-12 for awhile now.

Applejack
01-19-2017, 07:07 AM
This schedule is much tougher than last year, but I think as hard as the opponents are, they were scheduled as softly as possible. No back to back road games. Maybe the bye could be later, but still, very fair.

Colorado's schedule and USC's are soft as soft can be. I'm not sure you could have an easier schedule..oh wait, Washington 2017. That being said, I don't see where USC loses a game next year.

I think USC wins the south. Utah, UCLA and Colorado fill in 2, 3, and 4. ASU comes in a distant 5th and Arizona is sixth.

Wouldn't surprise me if USC wins it all next year. Unfortunately, Helton is running USC right. Tough defense, run the ball, let your talent beat the other teams and don't beat yourself. We may have missed our chance this last year to win the south/PAC-12 for awhile now.

Any year that someone besides USC takes the South is an opportunity missed.

UTEopia
01-19-2017, 08:27 AM
All I know is that we got to pick first and we got the guy that Kyle wanted. Whether that guy is the right guy, time will tell. But we got the guy that Kyle thought would do the best.

How do you know this? Maybe Kyle called Baldwin and he said not interested, but Taylor might be.

Diehard Ute
01-19-2017, 09:08 AM
How do you know this? Maybe Kyle called Baldwin and he said not interested, but Taylor might be.

I respect you at lot, but I often feel like you have a bit of an axe to grind with some of your posts.

noneyadb
01-19-2017, 09:24 AM
Based on what categories Whitt needed to check off with the hire, and how soon the position was filled, Taylor was definitely plan A.

concerned
01-19-2017, 09:28 AM
Based on what categories Whitt needed to check off with the hire, and how soon the position was filled, Taylor was definitely plan A.

DJ and PK said this morning that Chris Peterson gave Taylor a rave review when he was hired at EWU (also said Taylor may have helped steer Browning to UW.) maybe KW talked to Peterson too.

sancho
01-19-2017, 10:05 AM
Here's Wilner's take on schedules:

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/01/19/college-hotline-pac-12-football-2017-schedule-analysis/

On Utah:

Utah: The Holy War is the lone noncon highlight, but it’s an advantageous one: The Utes will have extra rest coming off North Dakota, while Brigham Young will be returning from a neutral-site date with, um, LSU. Utah’s conference lineup has no extremes, although it could be a fun finish if the Utes are in contention in the South. November features UCLA, WSU, UW and Colorado.

concerned
01-19-2017, 10:10 AM
Here's Wilner's take on schedules:

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/01/19/college-hotline-pac-12-football-2017-schedule-analysis/

On Utah:

To the extent Utah has a new offense, BYU wont have seen it. BYU will have to open its entire playbook for LSU. It will be their third game though.

UTEopia
01-19-2017, 12:30 PM
I respect you at lot, but I often feel like you have a bit of an axe to grind with some of your posts.

I just don't know that its true. How do we know Taylor was his first choice? If I were KW, I would approach the HC who had been the EWU OC/QB coach for several successful years before becoming the HC for several more successful years in addition to the guy who was just completing his first year on the job. I mean if you received their resumes, wouldn't Baldwin be more impressive than Taylor? Personally, I would hope that KW took a look at and talked with a number of prospective coaches, including Baldwin, before making the hire. If he didn't that would be concerning to me.

UBlender
01-19-2017, 01:12 PM
I just don't know that its true. How do we know Taylor was his first choice? If I were KW, I would approach the HC who had been the EWU OC/QB coach for several successful years before becoming the HC for several more successful years in addition to the guy who was just completing his first year on the job. I mean if you received their resumes, wouldn't Baldwin be more impressive than Taylor? Personally, I would hope that KW took a look at and talked with a number of prospective coaches, including Baldwin, before making the hire. If he didn't that would be concerning to me.

But we know how Kyle usually hires. Right or wrong, Taylor's connection to Fred Whittingham (through Folsom) probably made him the target all along, as opposed to Baldwin (unless there's a connection between Kyle and Baldwin that I'm missing). In fact, I think I remember Kyle saying something to the effect of "Taylor has been a guy I've had my eye on for a while, but I wanted to see how he performed at the collegiate level and now that he had success at EW he's proven he can do it at this level...." I'm sure I mangled it quite a bit but basically my interpretation was that Kyle had thought of hiring Taylor prior to this year but was gun-shy about doing hiring a non-college coach for such a crucial position. That would tell me that he did get "his guy" even if you could argue that he should have targeted Baldwin or someone else first.

UTEopia
01-19-2017, 01:34 PM
But we know how Kyle usually hires. Right or wrong, Taylor's connection to Fred Whittingham (through Folsom) probably made him the target all along, as opposed to Baldwin (unless there's a connection between Kyle and Baldwin that I'm missing). In fact, I think I remember Kyle saying something to the effect of "Taylor has been a guy I've had my eye on for a while, but I wanted to see how he performed at the collegiate level and now that he had success at EW he's proven he can do it at this level...." I'm sure I mangled it quite a bit but basically my interpretation was that Kyle had thought of hiring Taylor prior to this year but was gun-shy about doing hiring a non-college coach for such a crucial position. That would tell me that he did get "his guy" even if you could argue that he should have targeted Baldwin or someone else first.

That may be - but it is supposition. Someone made a statement of fact that Kyle got his first choice and I simply asked how he knew this was the case? I didn't think it was a question that was out of line.

Utah
01-19-2017, 07:01 PM
To the extent Utah has a new offense, BYU wont have seen it. BYU will have to open its entire playbook for LSU. It will be their third game though.

What's the over/under on Mangum's INT'S after the Utah game? 8?

U-Ute
01-20-2017, 08:53 AM
What's the over/under on Mangum's INT'S after the Utah game? 8?

@LSU and then vs Utah.

Mangum may need some mental therapy after those two weeks.

Utebiquitous
01-20-2017, 02:06 PM
I've noted a lot of pundits listing the offensive line as one of the biggest areas in question next season. I think cornerbacks would be the other. I'm not terribly worried. I think the first two or three games we'll be working some kinks out but look at who's returning, who's waiting in the wings and who the incoming freshman will be:

Jackson Barton - tackle - junior
Lo Falemaka - center - sr (I'm presuming center although Lo can play guard as well)
Salesi Uhatefe - guard - sr (Uhatefe is an NFL prospect)

Every single one of the sophomores to be redshirted their first season and will have two full years in the program come fall. These guys represent Coach Harding's recruiting priorities as well. I'm not going to assume where they'll play. I think Paulo and Capra are the most likely to play tackle. It would be awesome to see Scott at center where I believe his father played.
Johnny Capra - So
Nick Carman - So
Keven Dixon - So
Jake Grant - So
Darrin Paulo - So
Scott Peck - So
Tucker Scott - So

Incoming JC Recruit:
Jordan Agasiva - G/T, Jr

Freshmen recruits:
Michael Richardson - 6'5 tackle
O. Umana - 6'5 tackle

Given the sophomore class, I think we can expect the freshmen to redshirt. Agasiva will have a terrific opportunity to compete for a position but I think the competition will be fierce. I have no inside information on the sophomores as a group. I'd be interested to hear about them. Paulo, Carman, Peck and Scott came with significant accolades and accomplishments from their respective states.

I remember Harding on the radio saying that he wanted eight to ten O'linemn to count on. He was quick to admit a preference for doing very little substituting once a starting group was decided but he still wanted another five players ready. At that time he felt the U had eight players ready to compete at a Pac-12 level. I don't recall anyone ever following up with him on the progress of the line. This conversation took place right after Diellman was lost.

I think we have significant talent to develop and choose from based on the players on scholarship. I don't know that enough depth is there unless there are a couple of walkons who are now performing at a scholarship level and/or another recruit or two who will join the team come fall camp.

I'd be interested to know more about this group from any of you.

concerned
01-20-2017, 02:16 PM
I've noted a lot of pundits listing the offensive line as one of the biggest areas in question next season. I think cornerbacks would be the other. I'm not terribly worried. I think the first two or three games we'll be working some kinks out but look at who's returning, who's waiting in the wings and who the incoming freshman will be:

Lo Falemaka - center - sr (I'm presuming center although Lo can play guard as well)

Every single one of the sophomores to be redshirted their first season and will have two full years in the program come fall. These guys represent Coach Harding's recruiting priorities as well. I'm not going to assume where they'll play. I think Paulo and Capra are the most likely to play tackle. It would be awesome to see Scott at center where I believe his father played.
Johnny Capra - So
Nick Carman - So
Keven Dixon - So
Jake Grant - So
Darrin Paulo - So
Scott Peck - So
Tucker Scott - So

Incoming JC Recruit:
Jordan Agasiva - G/T, Jr

Freshmen recruits:
O. Umana - 6'5 tackle

Given the sophomore class, I think we can expect the freshmen to redshirt. Agasiva will have a terrific opportunity to compete for a position but I think the competition will be fierce. I have no inside information on the sophomores as a group. I'd be interested to hear about them. Paulo, Carman, Peck and Scott came with significant accolades and accomplishments from their respective states.

I remember Harding on the radio saying that he wanted eight to ten O'linemn to count on. He was quick to admit a preference for doing very little substituting once a starting group was decided but he still wanted another five players ready. At that time he felt the U had eight players ready to compete at a Pac-12 level. I don't recall anyone ever following up with him on the progress of the line. This conversation took place right after Diellman was lost.

I think we have significant talent to develop and choose from based on the players on scholarship. I don't know that enough depth is there unless there are a couple of walkons who are now performing at a scholarship level and/or another recruit or two who will join the team come fall camp.

I heard Gunther and Ben say the other day that LT is the big Q. Barton can and will play RT but not LT. they have to find Bolles' replacement. FWIW.

Applejack
01-20-2017, 02:31 PM

Johnny Capra - So
Nick Carman - So
Keven Dixon - So
Jake Grant - So
Darrin Paulo - So
Scott Peck - So
Tucker Scott - So

Incoming JC Recruit:
Jordan Agasiva - G/T, Jr

Freshmen recruits:
O. Umana - 6'5 tackle

Sorry no inside information from me. But this is a good example of why we should have hope for the future of the o-line. But I think what makes people nervous is that we have only three returners with any experience. O-line, perhaps moreso than every other position, is based on reps that create trust and knowledge about your fellow o-linemen.

BTW, I figure Agasiva starts at the other guard position.

Diehard Ute
01-20-2017, 02:57 PM
Sorry no inside information from me. But this is a good example of why we should have hope for the future of the o-line. But I think what makes people nervous is that we have only three returners with any experience. O-line, perhaps moreso than every other position, is based on reps that create trust and knowledge about your fellow o-linemen.

BTW, I figure Agasiva starts at the other guard position.

Agasiva is a tackle. If he's starting at guard we're hurting there IMO

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-20-2017, 05:23 PM
Are we still pursuing George Moore? Isn't he a tackle?

NorthwestUteFan
01-22-2017, 08:36 AM
Are we still pursuing George Moore? Isn't he a tackle?

Yes. Yes.

UTEopia
01-22-2017, 09:38 AM
Agasiva is a tackle. If he's starting at guard we're hurting there IMO

I would say just the opposite. The Utah release indicates that Agasiva is 6'3.25" and weighs 345. That sounds much more like a guard than a tackle.

http://www.utahutes.com/news/2017/1/9/jordan-agasiva-signs-with-utah-football.aspx

Diehard Ute
01-22-2017, 03:23 PM
I would say just the opposite. The Utah release indicates that Agasiva is 6'3.25" and weighs 345. That sounds much more like a guard than a tackle.

http://www.utahutes.com/news/2017/1/9/jordan-agasiva-signs-with-utah-football.aspx

Yet everyone says he's a tackle who can play guard.

His JC coach said his plan is to play at 310 or so.

UTEopia
01-22-2017, 03:37 PM
This DesNews article states that about 10 days after hiring Taylor, he as offered a 3 year contract by a "big-name university." I wonder who it was?

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865671563/A-football-junkie-For-Utah-football-OC-Troy-Taylor-its-always-been-a-labor-of-love.html

concerned
01-22-2017, 04:21 PM
This DesNews article states that about 10 days after hiring Taylor, he as offered a 3 year contract by a "big-name university." I wonder who it was?

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865671563/A-football-junkie-For-Utah-football-OC-Troy-Taylor-its-always-been-a-labor-of-love.html

Cal?

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-22-2017, 04:31 PM

Let me preface this by saying that "there's no way for me to actually know this," but I thought that I read somewhere that he was contacted by Cal. Before reaching out to Beau Baldwin. Not trying to pull a Spicer here, I just can't remember where I had read that.

Utah
01-22-2017, 10:43 PM
Anytime you bring back 3 starters on the OL in college football, you are in a pretty good spot. I think Utah's dream scenario would be:

LT: Moore
LG: Agasiva
C: Falemaka
RG: Uhatefe
RT: Barton

That gives you 3-4 guys with NFL potential. We will see with Moore. If he trips elsewhere next week, I'd cross him off Utah's list.

UTEopia
01-23-2017, 08:04 AM
Cal?

I would not consider Cal to be a "big-name university" but that's just me.

concerned
01-23-2017, 08:51 AM
I would not consider Cal to be a "big-name university" but that's just me.

maybe not in athletics,but this wouldn't be the first time a pr person hyped or exaggerated something to make a school or a hire look good Cal makes sense, given the connections and the timing. Maybe it was EWU wanting to know if he would come back and be head coach.(TIC,sorof)

UTEopia
01-23-2017, 09:17 AM
maybe not in athletics,but this wouldn't be the first time a pr person hyped or exaggerated something to make a school or a hire look good Cal makes sense, given the connections and the timing. Maybe it was EWU wanting to know if he would come back and be head coach.(TIC,sorof)

Maybe, the way the article reads, the quote "big-time university" is a statement by KW.

concerned
01-23-2017, 09:19 AM
Maybe, the way the article reads, the quote "big-time university" is a statement by KW.

and coaches never hype anything to validate their decisions, but who knows. All speculation.

SeattleUte
01-23-2017, 09:57 AM
and coaches never hype anything to validate their decisions, but who knows. All speculation.

Isn't the fact that Kyle feels compelled to reassure fans this way a good sign, even if it's puffery?

NorthwestUteFan
01-23-2017, 10:35 AM
Reminds me of his Trumpian statement about receiving a Yuge Bigly stack of unbelievable resumes for the OC position, only to turn around and hire Brian Johnson (6 years too soon...).

U-Ute
01-26-2017, 12:54 PM
Look at who enrolled at the U

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170126/8b26dfa2e46e7695e6b60455cdc309e9.jpg

U-Ute
01-28-2017, 03:11 PM
Wow. This is scary!

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-28-2017, 05:12 PM
Wow. This is scary!

Is it weird that this name is totally foreign to me?

Utah
01-28-2017, 10:22 PM
Is it weird that this name is totally foreign to me?

Walkon Freshman LB.

sancho
01-30-2017, 09:48 AM
Wilner looks at Pac-12 schedules:

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/01/30/college-hotline-ranking-the-pac-12-non-conference-schedules-on-the-whole-theyre-a-big-fat-letdown/

8. Utah
Lineup: vs. North Dakota, at Brigham Young, vs. San Jose State
Comment: The Utes’ schedule ranks among the most disappointing in the conference. Here’s a program that — to its great credit — has posted a winning record 12 of the past 14 years … that should have a play anyone/anywhere approach … that just finished a home-and-home series with Michigan. if the 2017 schedule was a one-off, it would be easier to accept. But there’s nothing like the Michigan series for years to come.

LA Ute
01-30-2017, 12:04 PM

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/01/30/college-hotline-ranking-the-pac-12-non-conference-schedules-on-the-whole-theyre-a-big-fat-letdown/

Do not speak evil of the program.

Scratch
01-30-2017, 12:54 PM

It's so hard to judge without knowing what Utah could reasonably actually schedule.

SeattleUte
01-30-2017, 02:43 PM
It's hard to fault Whit's scheduling when you see how well Chris Petersen's formula for making the Final Four has worked.

LA Ute
01-30-2017, 03:07 PM
It's hard to fault Whit's scheduling when you see how well Chris Petersen's formula for making the Final Four has worked.

True. It's not Utah's job to make Jon Wilner happy.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-30-2017, 05:00 PM
True. It's not Utah's job to make Jon Wilner happy.

Unfortunately, it looks like that's mine.

LA Ute
01-30-2017, 05:21 PM
Unfortunately, it looks like that's mine.

Good luck!

Utah
01-30-2017, 10:28 PM
As long as BYU is on the OOC, scheduling another P5 is career suicide for Whitt and Hill.

Utah
01-30-2017, 10:29 PM
Let's also be real. At this point, Utah is playing for second place in the south and hopefully USC wins the PAC-12 and Utah gets a Rose Bowl Bid.

Playing a tough OOC will only hurt that goal.

Mormon Red Death
01-31-2017, 06:48 AM
Let's also be real. At this point, Utah is playing for second place in the south and hopefully USC wins the PAC-12 and Utah gets a Rose Bowl Bid.

Playing a tough OOC will only hurt that goal.
Rose Bowl is the playoff site this year

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-31-2017, 12:11 PM

Utah
01-31-2017, 03:03 PM
Rose Bowl is the playoff site this year

Ha. Then we don't even have that. That's alright. We have a really tough schedule this year anyways and a new offense.

If our offense stays the same, we might be a six win team. If is better, we might get to 8 wins.

My point still stands. There is no reason to schedule up OOC. Not one.

NorthwestUteFan
01-31-2017, 03:59 PM
Ha. Then we don't even have that. That's alright. We have a really tough schedule this year anyways and a new offense.

If our offense stays the same, we might be a six win team. If is better, we might get to 8 wins.

My point still stands. There is no reason to schedule up OOC. Not one.
Switch BYU for a P5. Any P5. Give us a chance to an interesting locale somewhere.

That is all I ask. At least give us an interesting OOC.

Utah
01-31-2017, 11:13 PM
Switch BYU for a P5. Any P5. Give us a chance to an interesting locale somewhere.

I would LOVE this. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the LDS-eslature will allow that.

Applejack
02-01-2017, 05:36 AM

Yeah, like Indiana.

sancho
02-01-2017, 07:06 AM
Yeah, like Indiana.

No, but when we dropped them for Michigan, that was okay. If we can get that kind of a series, I'm alright with dropping them for two years.

U-Ute
02-01-2017, 10:13 AM
Tufele presser live on SLTrib's FB feed: https://www.facebook.com/SLTribSports/

U-Ute
02-01-2017, 10:30 AM
Tufele to USC. Boo. :anger:

Scorcho
02-08-2017, 09:55 PM
If you're not following Andy Phillips' and Tom Hackett's podcast 4th and Long, then you should. It really is a great, honest look at things inside the program. This i wt is botheek's episode is especially enlightening discussing the culture and some of the inefficiencies that may be contributing to late season burn out. A lot of good stuff in here: https://www.spreaker.com/user/broadwaymedia/4th-and-long-1-3-17

I second this. Their Podcast comes out every Tuesday and is informative and funny.

The latest episode Hackett talked about a Utah punter tradition that's been handed down from punter to punter for almost 20 years. It's pretty comical. Hackett said that when he finally told Whitt about the tradition and why it suddenly ended, Whitt was laughing hysterically.

They also mention that Taefele is likely a Ute, except that Stevie T. swayed him USC's way.

LA Ute
02-08-2017, 11:14 PM
I second this. Their Podcast comes out every Tuesday and is informative and funny.

The latest episode Hackett talked about a Utah punter tradition that's been handed down from punter to punter for almost 20 years. It's pretty comical. Hackett said that when he finally told Whitt about the tradition and why it suddenly ended, Whitt was laughing hysterically.

They also mention that Taefele is likely a Ute, except that Stevie T. swayed him USC's way.

Stevie T. seems like a young man who bears a grudge.

Diehard Ute
02-10-2017, 02:46 PM
http://athlonsports.com/college-football/5-newcomers-utah-utes-watch-2017

I'm questioning Jaylon Johnson's vertical. 38'3" seems hard to believe

justaute
02-10-2017, 05:19 PM

Why?

LA Ute
02-10-2017, 07:41 PM

FWIW he insisted on ESPN700 show that it was legit.

justaute
02-10-2017, 07:48 PM
FWIW he insisted on ESPN700 show that it was legit.

38.3" is easily plausible. Mine was 35", and I wasn't that good of an athlete.

Diehard Ute
02-10-2017, 08:07 PM
Read the article. They listed it as 38'3". That's 38 FEET 3 inches ;)

justaute
02-10-2017, 08:55 PM
Read the article. They listed it as 38'3". That's 38 FEET 3 inches ;)

haha...that's a good catch.

Scorcho
02-15-2017, 10:39 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/491736645494796289/ewRr5IhO_bigger.jpegKyle BonaguraVerified account‏@BonaguraESPN (https://twitter.com/BonaguraESPN) Follow

More

Combine invitations by Pac-12 school

8 - Utah, USC
7 - UW
5 - UCLA
4 – Colorado, Stanford
3 – Cal, OSU
2 – WSU
1 – ASU, Oregon
0 - Arizona

https://twitter.com/BonaguraESPN/status/831916844642471937

x:)x feb championships

Scorcho
02-15-2017, 12:34 PM
(Could the Utes have been one of the top underachievers in 2016? By this measure, perhaps. But that’s a fairly narrow path the judgement.

(One could argue, too, that it’s reflective of quality coaching, because the Utes’ recruiting classes weren’t exactly jammed with 4 and 5-star players.)

*** Most surprising snub: Utah DE Hunter Dimick

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/02/15/college-hotline-reaction-to-pac-12-participant-list-for-the-nfl-scouting-combine/

Utah
02-15-2017, 01:23 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/491736645494796289/ewRr5IhO_bigger.jpegKyle BonaguraVerified account‏@BonaguraESPN (https://twitter.com/BonaguraESPN) Follow

More

Combine invitations by Pac-12 school

8 - Utah, USC
7 - UW
5 - UCLA
4 – Colorado, Stanford
3 – Cal, OSU
2 – WSU
1 – ASU, Oregon
0 - Arizona

https://twitter.com/BonaguraESPN/status/831916844642471937

x:)x feb championships

You want to BYU this even more? If you put Tui'kolovatu in with Utah's invites, then only Alabama and Michigan have more invites to the combine.

Dwight Schr-Ute
02-15-2017, 02:16 PM
You want to BYU this even more? If you put Tui'kolovatu in with Utah's invites, then only Alabama and Michigan have more invites to the combine.

Hell, if we're going to BYU this, let's go full Zoob and count Langi as well!

Scorcho
02-15-2017, 02:26 PM
http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/gallery/nfl-combine-full-list-of-invited-players-most-by-school-021517

not bad company

Utah
02-15-2017, 03:05 PM

Let's do it.

SeattleUte
02-15-2017, 04:59 PM
http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/gallery/nfl-combine-full-list-of-invited-players-most-by-school-021517

not bad company

Compare it to the recruiting rankings. That's stark.

LA Ute
02-15-2017, 05:32 PM

not bad company

It's remarkable. Part of KW's genius. That's going to be shown to lots of Utah recruits.

DrumNFeather
02-16-2017, 10:19 AM

It'd be funny if the Utes trolled these guys just a little and added them to their combine invites poster.

NorthwestUteFan
02-16-2017, 10:52 AM
It'd be funny if the Utes trolled these guys just a little and added them to their combine invites poster.
Especially if it is the picture of Asiata throwing Stevie T right on his ass during the game-winning play.

Utah
02-16-2017, 12:04 PM
I love hype machines. ASU is getting all sorts of hype with their QB transfer from Alabama and Utah gets nothing on Bateman.

Dwight Schr-Ute
02-27-2017, 05:21 PM
Sounds like they're keeping fans and media out of a fair amount of practices this spring.

Diehard Ute
02-27-2017, 06:17 PM
Sounds like they're keeping fans and media out of a fair amount of practices this spring.

With the changes coming on offense I'm not surprised

UTEopia
02-27-2017, 07:38 PM
I will try to get up there as much as possible.

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-01-2017, 04:44 PM
Reggie Dunn joins the staff as a recruiting assistant.

LA Ute
03-01-2017, 05:11 PM
Reggie Dunn joins the staff as a recruiting assistant.

Video here:

https://twitter.com/Utah_Football/status/837082802160009216

and here:

https://twitter.com/Wedginald/status/837084311690031104

Utah
03-02-2017, 08:08 PM
Utah football roster interesting tidbits:

Repp is a DE. As is Davr Hamilton.
Fun to have a Kruger back on the DL.
Cooper Bateman is a QB.
McCormick and Nacua are WR's.

Repp has elite skills at DE. He has potential to be an amazing pass rusher. Can he put on weight to realize his potential? Will he ever be anything other than a pass rusher?

Davr Hamilton at DE? Interesting. I'd be it's because of the 5-1 front Scalley wants to run. Having versatility at DE/OLB would help you quickly go from a 5-1 to a 4-3 to a 3-4.

I think our QB will be Bateman or Williams. I think the coaches want one of those two to win the job with the tough schedule in 2017. The schedule is much easier in 2018 with Rosen, Browning, Darnold, Falk all graduating/leaving. Better to have an all out QB fight on their hands then with Tuttle, Huntley and Shelley. That doesn't mean Huntley doesn't win the job, but that's not the plan.

WR group is so interesting. We return Young, Wilson, Singleton and Simpkins. We also add Dana, have Fulks, Hamilton, Thompson and Dixon. McCormick making the switch is telling as well. Same with Nacua. We have talent there. What can Taylor and Holliday do with that talent? I also wonder with the switches if they will sub WR's a lot. Or if this just means we need more WR's. If Dana, McCormick and Nacua can get minutes with our returners, that gives us 7 WR's. More 4/5 WR sets?

Tyrone Smith also moves to CB. That is exciting.

I think it comes down to this: Spring ball is 100% about the QB's and WR's and OL. Our DL is set, our LB'ers are set, our CB's won't all be here until the fall.

Can Bateman win the job in the spring? He sure thinks he can. What WR's step up? We have talent at OL. Who steps up to start?

Mormon Red Death
03-02-2017, 08:49 PM
Utah football roster interesting tidbits:

Cooper Bateman is a QB.

Repp has elite skills at DE. He has potential to be an amazing pass rusher. Can he put on weight to realize his potential? Will he ever be anything other than a pass rusher?

Davr Hamilton at DE? Interesting. I'd be it's because of the 5-1 front Scalley wants to run. Having versatility at DE/OLB would help you quickly go from a 5-1 to a 4-3 to a 3-4.

I think our QB will be Bateman or Williams. I think the coaches want one of those two to win the job with the tough schedule in 2017. The schedule is much easier in 2018 with Rosen, Browning, Darnold, Falk all graduating/leaving. Better to have an all out QB fight on their hands then with Tuttle, Huntley and Shelley. That doesn't mean Huntley doesn't win the job, but that's not the plan.

WR group is so interesting. We return Young, Wilson, Singleton and Simpkins. We also add Dana, have Fulks, Hamilton, Thompson and Dixon. McCormick making the switch is telling as well. Same with Nacua. We have talent there. What can Taylor and Holliday do with that talent? I also wonder with the switches if they will sub WR's a lot. Or if this just means we need more WR's. If Dana, McCormick and Nacua can get minutes with our returners, that gives us 7 WR's. More 4/5 WR sets?

Tyrone Smith also moves to CB. That is exciting.

I think it comes down to this: Spring ball is 100% about the QB's and WR's and OL. Our DL is set, our LB'ers are set, our CB's won't all be here until the fall.

Can Bateman win the job in the spring? He sure thinks he can. What WR's step up? We have talent at OL. Who steps up to start?
Caleb repp is a DE?

Utah
03-02-2017, 10:04 PM
Caleb repp is a DE?

Yeah, he was recruited as a DE but didn't get weight on fast enough and we needed WR's. He is trying to bulk up and play DE.

Applejack
03-03-2017, 01:46 PM
Garrett Bolles with the second fastest 40 yard dash for an O-lineman (4.95), the best broad jump (115 inches), the best three cone drill (7.29 seconds), second best 20 yard shuffle (4.55).

Joe Williams with the second fastest 40 overall (4.41), and fourth highest broad jump (125 inches).
and Issac Asiata with the most reps on bench (35!).

DrumNFeather
03-03-2017, 01:54 PM
Garrett Bolles with the second fastest 40 yard dash for an O-lineman (4.95), the best broad jump (115 inches), the best three cone drill (7.29 seconds), second best 20 yard shuffle (4.55).

Joe Williams with the second fastest 40 overall (4.41), and fourth highest broad jump (125 inches).

Jets are said to have met with him and be really intrigued with him. They own the #6 pick.

Applejack
03-03-2017, 02:04 PM
Jets are said to have met with him and be really intrigued with him. They own the #6 pick.

#6?!?!

That's a little early, imho, but good for Joe Williams.

Utah
03-03-2017, 02:11 PM
#6?!?!

That's a little early, imho, but good for Joe Williams.

I'msu
I'm sure he was talking about Bolles and I'm sure you know that. ;)

If Joe didn't "retire" and didn't have his off field issues, where would he go in the draft? I think Joe ends up being the steal of the draft.

Scorcho
03-03-2017, 02:20 PM
#6?!?!

That's a little early, imho.

yea, but ..... its the Jets

sancho
03-03-2017, 02:30 PM

The NFL combine joins Stanford and BYU on the list of things owned by Utah football.

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-06-2017, 04:16 PM
2017 starting line up! Take it to the bank!!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170306/75ec927dd4651225dec7acab54905928.jpg

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/utahutes.com/documents/2017/3/6/spring_1.pdf

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-06-2017, 04:19 PM
Some interesting tidbits:

Caleb Repp at DE, Troy McCormick as a slot receiver, and Karsen Liljenquist back up LB to name a few.

SeattleUte
03-06-2017, 06:09 PM
2017 starting line up! Take it to the bank!!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170306/75ec927dd4651225dec7acab54905928.jpg

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/utahutes.com/documents/2017/3/6/spring_1.pdf

Where's Jaylon Johnson?

Diehard Ute
03-06-2017, 06:27 PM
Where's Jaylon Johnson?

Don't think he's an early enrollee.

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-06-2017, 09:05 PM
Where's Jaylon Johnson?

ASU.

Utah
03-06-2017, 09:05 PM

Caleb Repp at DE, Troy McCormick as a slot receiver, and Karsen Liljenquist back up LB to name a few.

Old news.

Cooper Bateman is a QB.

Utah
03-06-2017, 09:06 PM
Where's Jaylon Johnson?

There is a good chance our starting CB's won't even get here until fall. I don't know if that is good or terrible. Great opportunity for Smith, Blackmon and Burgess.

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-06-2017, 10:33 PM
There is a good chance our starting CB's won't even get here until fall. I don't know if that is good or terrible. Great opportunity for Smith, Blackmon and Burgess.

What do you mean by this? Are there grade issues that could keep them off campus all summer?

Utah
03-06-2017, 10:58 PM
What do you mean by this? Are there grade issues that could keep them off campus all summer?

No, nothing like that. I just said fall because that is when pads come back on. Johnson and Guidry are high school kids that won't be here until summer and Lewis is a JC guy who won't be here until summer. All three have tons of potential. Johnson is Bolles level talent. He has an amazing chance to start from day one.

If I had to pick today, I'd say Johnson and Smith start at outside CB's and NB is Burgess come game one. With Ballard and Hansen at safety and Luafatasaga and Tauteoli at LB with Blair pulling a Luafatasaga and ends up starting over Tauteoli by the end of the year.

Applejack
03-07-2017, 08:19 AM

Where are our real TEs?

concerned
03-07-2017, 08:26 AM
Where are our real TEs?

they left with Roderick

Scratch
03-07-2017, 09:56 AM
they left with Roderick

Fakailoatonga is going to be a monster in Taylor's offense if he can stay healthy, and I suspect Handley will be a very good player in this system as well.

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-07-2017, 11:18 AM
Goon just Tweeted that OT Jordan Agasiva had "unforeseen" issues with academics and will arrive in SLC on May 15. Also, Orlando Umana is already with the program, joining Corrion Ballard and Tyquez Hampton from this class that will play in the spring. Also that Wallace Gonzalez has decided to step away from football.

Utah
03-07-2017, 01:40 PM
TE's:

Fakailoatonga
Handley
Falemaka
Hekking

A few off the top of my head.

Utah
03-07-2017, 01:41 PM
Goon just Tweeted that OT Jordan Agasiva had "unforeseen" issues with academics and will arrive in SLC on May 15. Also, Orlando Umana is already with the program, joining Corrion Ballard and Tyquez Hampton from this class that will play in the spring. Also that Wallace Gonzalez has decided to step away from football.

Whitt also said that Repp is up to 225 and pushing hard for time at DE.

He also said they are excited for Smith at CB. Reminds them of Sean Smith and McGill.

NorthwestUteFan
03-07-2017, 04:34 PM
TE's:

Fakailoatonga
Handley
Falemaka
Hekking

A few off the top of my head.
That is a good list.

Chad Hekking has all- conference potential at TE (though probably not until his Jr or Sr year). IIRC he was a RS last year.

As a HS JR he was big (6'4", 220#), strong (bench 10x @ 225, squat 425), and fast (...For his size, 4.9s 40yd). He played QB in HS, and also played basketball and ran 110 hurdles in track. Now he is listed at 240#, and has Coach Elisaia building him up.

And his brother Brock (who plays LB for the Chargers) posseses perhaps the greatest powermullet in history.

NorthwestUteFan
03-07-2017, 04:42 PM
Buy them again, maybe Hekking will turn out to be a spectacular LB or DE..m

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-10-2017, 12:46 PM
I think basketball disappointment created a black hole for spring ball info. Hans Olsen was there the whole time and had some comments, but I haven't seen anything else substantive that isn't being one of the pay sites. Monson has some fluff piece in the Trib that was probably written three weeks ago and has no practice details. DesNews is a little better, but Goon was in Vegas, so besides a few quotes, no details. Can anyone point me in a better direction?

I'm not listening, but I can only assume that Olsen talked about practice on the radio this morning. Some of his more interesting Twitter comments:

Fotu could be better on the o-line than d-line. Also thinks he's needed there more than the defense.

LBs will take a huge step forward.

Thinks Bateman may be the best fit at QB for this offense.

Also said that he'll withhold comment on Repp at DE until it plays out. Makes me think it wasn't pretty.

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-10-2017, 12:58 PM
Also, speaking of spring and rosters, I listened to the most recent 4th and Long podcast with Andy Phillips and Tom Hackett. I haven't listened to Hackett as an official 700 employee but it will be interesting to watch what happens there. The kid is a straight talker and will provide a very honest point of view from his perspective. I can't imagine Bill Reilly making half the comments he did. Andy and Tom went through the spring ball two deep and talked about the position group. Tom about laughed out loud when Andy suggested that Domo's skills would be missed in the back field this year. Neither were very rosy about our kicking game next year.

Andy also went on a bit of an interesting rant against Hill. He compared him to Holmoe who apparently works hard to have a good relationship with all his student athletes to Hill who doesn't even acknowledge student athletes when passing in the hallway.

Utah
03-11-2017, 11:29 AM
I posted this on another site:

Disclaimer: This is what I saw. Take it for what it is. I mostly watched QB’s, then WR’s, then DB’s, then RB’s. I noticed little to no DL/OL/LBer. Also, if anyone saw/heard differently, I’d love to know what.

First, in warmups, Troy Taylor spent the entire time walking the whole field, talking to everyone. Offense, defense, everyone. Most coaches stay in their area, but he was everywhere.

We run a different formation/base offense. Our TE’s spend a lot of time as FB’s. The QB’s line up in shotgun with the HB beside them. But, 2-3 yards in front and offset, we have an H-Back/TE/FB. I like it a lot. It’s fantastic. It’s almost like our OC is intelligent, see our talent, OL, and RB’s, and realizes there is a way to put them in a better position to suceed. I love it.

We ran that so much, I’d say it is our base offense. I followed the QB’s around today. In their position drills, Batemen looked to be the best. He throws a very, very pretty ball. He is big as well. He just looks like a QB.

They had Huntley and Williams on one end, who were throwing to WR’s running down towards Bateman. He was alone on that end, throwing the WR’s back to the other end.

Troy Williams is Troy Williams. I think what we saw last year is what he is. He is quicker and lighter on his feet, but he also misses some really easy throws. He just looked like Troy Williams. That is why I’m not sure he starts for us (again, this is ridiculously pre-mature, it is one practice…the first practice at that). BUT, he looked like what he looked like last year.

Tyler Huntley. He looks good. He throws a nice ball. I’m not sure what to say other than that. Ask me specific questions, but he looks good.

On deep ball drills, Bateman was by far the best. I think Huntley was next best and Williams was the least accurate. But, Bateman was the best by a large margin.

On timing drills, Williams was the best. He had the best anticipation, got the ball our the quickest. Huntley was the second best. Bateman waited too long. He waited for the WR’s to make their breaks, get open, then he threw it in there. The throw was pretty, tight spiral, and fast. But late.

Lots of fly sweeps. Lots of fly sweeps.

Tyquez Hampton…he was a beast. He is HUGE. He looks like a JR WR. Great hands. Caught just about everything his way, had one drop.

Fulks. Has hands of stone. It’s too bad. No catch is an easy catch for him. If he catches it.

Ballard is a beast. He is very, very, very good. Holy cow, he is good. Our safeties may not take a huge step back. Marcus was amazing, Ballard isn’t as good, but he is a long ways from bad. He had a lot of plays today and an INT.

Anae made a lot of plays. A lot of plays. Leki Fotu is HUGE.

Siosi Wilson, Singleton. Both had some amazing plays, both had some terrible plays. Let me take that back, Wilson had some great plays. Singleton had a lot of drops. Kenric Young seemed to hurt his hamstring…again.

Tyrone Smith. He is HUGE. Tall. Long. Athletic. Shah screamed at him once, “You are big like a big man and move like a little man!” It’s true. He had some BIG mental mistakes on 2 or 3 plays and gave up TD’s…BUT, he had a lot more amazing plays. Come this fall, he will be a starter at CB and in a year or two, he will be a first/second round draft pick. He will be great. He is by far our best CB already.

Our redzone issues…remain. We have problems there. We move the ball well down the field, get into the redzone, and accomplish nothing. I don’t think we scored a single TD starting in the redzone.

Caleb Repp is big and fast. He will do good things as a pass rusher this fall at DE.

We played a lot of 5 man fronts that evolved into some 3-4 as well.

Zack Moss…he looks GREAT. He can catch, man can he catch. He is fast, big, and quick. He looks good. Calves the size of my head. Thick as a tree. I think he will be very, very, very good for us.

Troy McCormick looked solid at WR. Some drops, but quick, looks thicker and some good catches.

Samson Nacua at WR. Man, he looked good. Smooth. Made it look easy. There is a reason they moved him, and it was the right reason. We rotated a lot of WR’s throughout the practice. I think we do that all year. I bet 8 WR’s play a lot of reps. Alec Dana looked really good as well. Caught everything in sight, big, fast. Our WR’s look different than in year’s past. We did have drops, but it seemed to be from the old crew (Singleton, man he dropped a lot, Young, Fulks. Even Wilson had some drops, including a TD). But Dana, Simpkins, Hampton and Nacua have a lot of promise. They looked good. They run hard. Holliday yelled at Singleton and Young for dogging it a lot. Yelled at Dana once, and Dana came back strong and recieved praise as well.

Blackmon played well. Guidry will have a chance to start at NB, but Blackmon is out to win that job as well. I don’t think we see much of Boobie at NB. Blackmon had some really good plays, tight coverage, pass breakups, etc. He and Smith looked good.

Huntley. We play different when Huntley is in. We run RPO’s more with him. Huntley can run. He can throw. He has all the tools. He needs experience. For example, in one stretch, he pulls the ball and runs for 15+ yards. The next play, goes through his reads and hits his third option for a big gain. Next play, is flushed out of the pocket, scrambles right, throws an amazing throw for a 5 yard gain. A real bullet. THEN the next play happens. He gets pressured again, forces a throw and it is picked off by Smith and would have been a pick six. The tools are there, he just needs experience. That is what will cost him the job.

Davr Hamilton and Johnny Capra got into it a little bit today. Some choice words, “football words” I told my kids, some shoving.

In 11 on 11…it wasn’t bad, but it looked a lot like last year. Troy ran with the one’s. Huntley ran with the two’s. Bateman got one series. Troy would make a good throw, miss an easy throw. Move the offense then stall out in the redzone. Huntley was solid as well. Actually, he came out on fire and then cooled off as the series went by. But, he can run. That is one thing he can do that the other two can’t do. If he can learn to not force plays, it wouldn’t shock me if he wins the job.

Bateman didn’t look that great in his 11 on 11. As good as he was in individual drills, and he was the best one, he was the worst in 11 on 11. In his one series, he had a ball tipped and intercepted. Now, to be fair to him, he only got one series and Williams and Huntley had 4 or 5 each.

Wow, that’s a lot. Sorry for any spelling mistake/grammar.

Off one practice, I’m not sure that Williams is our starter. Bateman and Huntley can just do other things better. Troy will have a fight on his hands to keep the job. NOW, remember that I am a “leave the incumbant as the starter” guy. I always backed Travis, never really thought Thompson had a chance to win the job because Travis was so steady. But, Travis never had Huntley and Bateman behind him. Those two can do things. I reserve the right to change my mind on this, but as of right now, I wouldn’t bet on Troy being the starter.

I say this with this caveat: If we were playing today, Troy would be the starter, hands down. Troy looks the same and the other two have flashes where they just do things better.

I've been saying all winter that I don't think Huntley starts. After one practice, I think he has a shot to win the job.

SeattleUte
03-11-2017, 03:07 PM
Good work, Utah. Thanks.

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-31-2017, 12:43 PM
Anyone planning on attending this afternoon's scrimmage? Now that uf.n has been resurrected, I'm sure there will be a few write ups just curious if I should expect any analysis here. Any commentary would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Dwight Schr-Ute
04-05-2017, 05:03 PM
Saturday's scrimmage has been cancelled/moved to Tuesday.

http://www.utahutes.com/news/2017/4/5/saturdays-football-scrimmage-canceled.aspx

Dwight Schr-Ute
04-08-2017, 02:07 PM

Jaylon Johnson's older brother who was listed as a starter at CB. Could be something interesting to watch.

UBlender
04-08-2017, 02:17 PM

Jaylon Johnson's older brother who was listed as a starter at CB. Could be something interesting to watch.

Very interesting. I think Utah has probably had a "Help Wanted: Graduate Transfer CBs and OTs inquire within" sign hanging at the football office. Although, between the incoming recruits and the reports it sounds like we have some good options to fill those CB slots and replace last year's underperforming veteran group. It would be kind of cool to have a Johnson and Johnson combo in the secondary.

Dwight Schr-Ute
04-08-2017, 08:22 PM

Dwight Schr-Ute
04-09-2017, 01:14 AM
Because CB is never wrong.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170409/ba8730885382945a9fce541ecda6bb11.jpg

Old Standing ute
04-11-2017, 05:55 PM
Watched the scrimmage today:
They threw the ball a lot. Scattered success. Williams looked better throwing, Huntley looked better running. Bateman only played at the very end, with 3rd team O against 3rd team D. He stood out but hard to tell much as level of play was really low. He & Tyquez Hampton--early entry FR teamed up for 3 TDs. (really nice throws).
Center snaps were an issue. 2nd team O line was not very good. 1st team DBs were good.
D. Henry-Cole looked good at running back. Many empty backfields & others were 1 back sets.
Kickers were bad.
O needs work.

U-Ute
04-15-2017, 01:41 PM
Henry-Cole looks good today. I like his decisive cuts and let churn.

DrumNFeather
04-15-2017, 04:03 PM
One guy that jumped out at me was Tupai, he chased down Williams on the sideline on the first series and seemed to close pretty quickly.

UTEopia
04-15-2017, 08:28 PM
Tough to gauge anything from the spring game as so many players sit out and the coaches limit what both sides of the ball do. Personally, I would like to see Cooper Bateman get a legitimate shot to win the job.

sancho
04-15-2017, 10:50 PM
Personally, I would like to see Cooper Bateman get a legitimate shot to win the job.

Seems like he's getting a shot. They keep giving him reps.

UTEopia
04-15-2017, 11:14 PM
Seems like he's getting a shot. They keep giving him reps.

In practice he gets reps with the third team O against the third team D. He got the same reps today as a walk-on freshman QB.

sancho
04-15-2017, 11:25 PM
In practice he gets reps with the third team O against the third team D. He got the same reps today as a walk-on freshman QB.

Still, that's a chance to impress. It's not like our coaches are unaware that this guy was once very highly regarded. If he impresses, I'm sure they'll notice.

It's a tall order, though. Williams was good last year, he's way more experienced, and he was once an even higher rated prospect than Bateman.

DrumNFeather
04-18-2017, 10:10 AM
ESPNs 3 Takeaways from Spring Ball:

1. Running back Devonta’e Henry-Cole showed up well. He finished Saturday's game with two rushing touchdowns and 44 yards on 11 carries as well as four receptions for 23 yards. With the transition to Troy Taylor’s system, the offense will utilize the pass game a bit more, so the latter part of that stat line is especially important if Henry-Cole wants to be the featured back. With the offensive line playing for both teams, the coaches had a chance to gauge the progress of each back without wondering whether certain plays succeeded because Tackle X was blocking instead of Tackle Y. Henry-Cole likely will head into the fall competing with Zack Moss, who left the spring game early and was seen later with a sling on his right arm. Moss was the team’s second-leading rusher a season ago behind Joe Williams.

So - RB will probably be fine.

2. There isn’t a clear-cut starter at quarterback yet. Though transfer Cooper Bateman (5-of-5, 53 yards, 1 touchdown) is clearly the third-string QB, he showed on Saturday that he’ll push incumbent Troy Williams (9-of-15, 73 yards) and Tyler Huntley (8-of-12, 65 yards, 1 interception) for the job. And yes, if you’ve followed Utah football of late, this is kind of an ongoing issue for the Utes. But in none of those seasons in which they completely relied on the run game to do most of the work did they have an offensive coordinator like Taylor, whose Eastern Washington team last season averaged 401 passing yards a game. This is an offense that will need an adept quarterback to get the chains moving, and so far, while there are candidates, no one seems to be a head above the rest. The summer should give each of these guys a chance to work more on fundamentals and dive further into the playbook -- Taylor was hoping to have 90-95 percent of his offense installed this season. Come fall, the sooner one of the quarterbacks stands out for Taylor, the better for the Utes.

When I hear the coaches speak, I wonder what their level of faith is in Troy Williams. This will be interesting to watch through fall camp...

3. Defensive back Julian Blackmon is a name to watch. Typically, coaches are either overly effusive after spring games (naming everyone down the depth chart as people who had nice showings) or vague with a standard response: “Lots of guys impressed, but no one stood out too much more than another.” Coach Kyle Whittingham and defensive coordinator Morgan Scalley were in the latter camp on Saturday when they spoke with reporters. But one name that both brought up after scrimmage was that of Blackmon. The sophomore finished with five tackles, including one for a loss, and two pass breakups. He also has shown leadership, which will be hugely important for a Utah secondary that lost so much talent and experience from its 2016 team.

I feel like Kyle has been pumping him up since he got here, so it's nice to see him getting some press here as well. Especially as we look to rebuild our secondary.

Dwight Schr-Ute
04-18-2017, 04:16 PM

Dwight Schr-Ute
04-23-2017, 04:55 PM
Jordan Fogal announced that he's transferring.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170423/5ff299234139989b709184fcf9949083.jpg

UTEopia
04-23-2017, 04:59 PM
[QUOTE=Dwight Schr-Ute;99077]Jordan Fogal announced that he's transferring.

A little surprised at this. He probably was not going to be the starter, but was not a year ago and played quite a bit.

U-Ute
04-23-2017, 07:19 PM
Congrats to him on getting his degree!

Dwight Schr-Ute
05-05-2017, 08:58 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170506/e8b0e86ce312dd6b132a22afd61b4e7d.jpg

SeattleUte
05-06-2017, 11:27 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170506/e8b0e86ce312dd6b132a22afd61b4e7d.jpg

sent from my iphone using tapatalk

great news

Dwight Schr-Ute
05-08-2017, 10:25 AM
I had no idea that Ken Niumatalolo's kid will be playing linebacker for us. Interesting.

concerned
05-08-2017, 10:30 AM
I had no idea that Ken Niumatalolo's kid will be playing linebacker for us. Interesting.

Didnt he play for Bronco? Is is tranferring or coming back from a mission?

Dwight Schr-Ute
05-08-2017, 11:11 AM
Didnt he play for Bronco? Is is tranferring or coming back from a mission?

Close. Sounds like he committed to Boise State (Bronco) out of high school but both parties agreed to not sign a NLI due to him serving a mission. Got home in February and de-committed. 3* LB out of high school.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.capitalgazette.com/sports/college_sports/ph-ac-cs-niumatalolo-boise-0126-20170125-story,amp.html

sancho
05-08-2017, 11:20 AM
Close. Sounds like he committed to Boise State (Bronco) out of high school but both parties agreed to not sign a NLI due to him serving a mission. Got home in February and de-committed. 3* LB out of high school.

Gotta love surprise good news. Linebacker, son of a coach, and 20 years old? Yes, please.

Utah
05-10-2017, 09:41 AM
Officially getting Fitts back is awesome. We will have three DL, a LB and a S drafted next spring. Our defense is incredible.

Applejack
05-10-2017, 10:00 AM
Officially getting Fitts back is awesome. We will have three DL, a LB and a S drafted next spring. Our defense is incredible.

Is this suggesting that Luafastanga is going to get drafted or Mokofisi? Also, does it mean that Hansen is leaving early?

Utah
05-10-2017, 10:14 PM
Is this suggesting that Luafastanga is going to get drafted or Mokofisi? Also, does it mean that Hansen is leaving early?

I'd put money on Hansen, Lotulelei, Fitts and Mokofisi being drafted. I'd be surprised if Luafatasaga isn't. The last couple of games, he was a monster on our defense.

I don't see why Hansen would come back. He was incredible last year. He can play Safety or LB at the next level. He can cover, he can hit, he can do it all. It wouldn't shock me if he gets drafted higher than Williams. Williams was still drafted on potential (which sounds crazy) but Hansen will be more of a finished product.

Hansen is the evolving NFL's dream safety/LB.

Utah
05-10-2017, 10:21 PM
Luafatasaga had 22 tackles the last two games, 18 solo. It clicked for him.

Hansen had 90 tackles, 3 INT's, 3 FF, 4 FR, 1 TD. Just a monster.

I think we see Mokofisi take it up another level next year. If Leki Fotu and/or another DT can get playing time, it would bump Moko outside and with Fitts on the other side...lol. Good luck. Five man front, with Leki as the NT, Lotulelei and Moko as the DT and Anae and Fitts outside? Yikes.

Then you have Luafatasaga and Hansen cleaning up whatever may get past that?

Applejack
05-11-2017, 08:18 AM
I'd put money on Hansen, Lotulelei, Fitts and Mokofisi being drafted. I'd be surprised if Luafatasaga isn't. The last couple of games, he was a monster on our defense.

I don't see why Hansen would come back. He was incredible last year. He can play Safety or LB at the next level. He can cover, he can hit, he can do it all. It wouldn't shock me if he gets drafted higher than Williams. Williams was still drafted on potential (which sounds crazy) but Hansen will be more of a finished product.

Hansen is the evolving NFL's dream safety/LB.

Mokofisi is too small to be drafted, methinks. Lafuastanga would have to have a much better year than last year to get drafted.

Diehard Ute
05-11-2017, 09:25 AM
Mokofisi is too small to be drafted, methinks. Lafuastanga would have to have a much better year than last year to get drafted.

Mokofisi would have to post some really good agility and speed numbers. He's listed at 6'3" 278, if he's fast enough to play end he could make it. But that's a big if.

Utah
05-11-2017, 01:12 PM
Mokofisi would have to post some really good agility and speed numbers. He's listed at 6'3" 278, if he's fast enough to play end he could make it. But that's a big if.

Moko is a great end that was moved inside due to depth at the end position and Tui'kolovatu leaving. Had Tui stayed, he would have primarily been an end.

LA Ute
05-11-2017, 01:22 PM

Nice to see you here, AJ.

Dwight Schr-Ute
05-23-2017, 01:47 PM
I can't wait to get this kid up on the hill! Welcome home, Elder!

Utah
05-23-2017, 01:49 PM
Ha ha.

concerned
05-23-2017, 02:33 PM
Empey has already told people he is transferring, according to cougarboard anyway.

Dwight Schr-Ute
05-23-2017, 03:14 PM
Empey has already told people he is transferring, according to cougarboard anyway.

Yeah. I haven't seen one Utah related where anyone is giving time an even 25% chance of showing up to Utah. It's a pretty interesting situation for the kid though. Here you have a program that you committed to out of high school. One that is essentially replacing it's whole o-line, so you could have an immediate shot at playing time. A program that just put four o-linemen in the NFL, with a position coach that his players love and does a hell of a job coaching kids up. Or, sit out a year? to go play for your dad.

sancho
05-23-2017, 03:48 PM
A program that just put four o-linemen in the NFL, with a position coach that his players love and does a hell of a job coaching kids up. Or, sit out a year? to go play for your dad.

"Son, I would love to coach you, but, really, your NFL career is my retirement plan. Go where they can get you into the league. Take it easy on us in September."