PDA

View Full Version : Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose? The Coach Taylor era begins.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-02-2017, 10:56 AM
Figured the Troy Taylor hire deserved its own thread. He might even be here for more than one season.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170102/63872bf361453b0062ffe9b662d06ac0.jpg

Taylor's statement about accepting the job:
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170102/9ee4a1d592c9f5d3ad2362e5d82dc6ae.jpg

Whittingham' statement:
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170102/6c2d8dc87eaccaa61ba9f09040cee049.jpg

The most interesting thing on Taylor's resume that no one is talking about is that he taught Drivers Ed while at Folsom! Dude has balls!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snafu
01-02-2017, 02:57 PM
This all sounds wonderful and exciting but I still think this team needs a basic philosophy shift to a pro set with minimal passing to maximize the strengths we have and Whittingham's style of strength and physicality.

I don't get Whittingham's thought process on this. He is a defensive guy first and we should play to that strength. Alabama is showing us once again how to win championships, with dominant defense.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-02-2017, 03:14 PM
Brian Swinney Q&A with Coach Taylor.

http://espn700sports.com/news/q-and-a-with-new-utah-oc-troy-taylor/

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-02-2017, 03:15 PM
Goon article with quotes.

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/4772818-155/utah-football-utes-hire-eastern-washington

Rocker Ute
01-02-2017, 03:20 PM
Brian Swinney Q&A with Coach Taylor.

http://espn700sports.com/news/q-and-a-with-new-utah-oc-troy-taylor/

Troy Taylor: "I called every play."

Let's put that little tidbit to rest.

LA Ute
01-02-2017, 04:35 PM
Troy Taylor: "I called every play."

Let's put that little tidbit to rest.

I like the idea of one guy calling the plays rather than the committee approach.

Rocker Ute
01-02-2017, 04:39 PM
I like the idea of one guy calling the plays rather than the committee approach.

I live by the motto "None of us are as dumb as all of us..." So I tend to agree with this. Group decision-making is for practice. The principles and strategies should long be in place an a single person making the call. That person should also not be Kyle Whittingham.

sancho
01-02-2017, 05:25 PM
I live by the motto "None of us are as dumb as all of us..." So I tend to agree with this. Group decision-making is for practice. The principles and strategies should long be in place an a single person making the call. That person should also not be Kyle Whittingham.

I third this.

Boise was messing around with two play callers this season too. It just doesn't seem to be a good idea.

C-Monster
01-02-2017, 05:35 PM

I agree completely, there should be one person calling the plays. I would expect the other offensive coaches to be involved with their positions and make recommendations based on what they see if there is a mismatch or one player is dominating another and could make a play. However, the play calling needs to be the responsublity of one person to make the final decision of what play to run.

jrj84105
01-02-2017, 05:45 PM
This all sounds wonderful and exciting but I still think this team needs a basic philosophy shift to a pro set with minimal passing to maximize the strengths we have and Whittingham's style of strength and physicality.

I don't get Whittingham's thought process on this. He is a defensive guy first and we should play to that strength. Alabama is showing us once again how to win championships, with dominant defense.

We have recruited to the spread for years, and our problems on offense are largely attributable to our inability to actually commit to running the spread. Instead we've been continuing to run pro-style sets/concepts while either sitting our spread personnel on the bench or putting them in position to fail by continuing to misutilize them in the wrong offense. The pro-style is dead at Utah and Taylor is the future.

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2015/2/19/8061667/the-future-of-the-dual-threat-quarterback-spread-option-Malzahn-Briles

LA Ute
01-02-2017, 05:59 PM
I agree completely, there should be one person calling the plays. I would expect the other offensive coaches to be involved with their positions and make recommendations based on what they see if there is a mismatch or one player is dominating another and could make a play. However, the play calling needs to be the responsublity of one person to make the final decision of what play to run.

C-Monster, are you new here? If so, welcome! And go introduce yourself in the Emigration Canyon forum.

sancho
01-02-2017, 06:10 PM
The pro-style is dead at Utah and Taylor is the future.

Boom!

UTEopia
01-02-2017, 09:13 PM
I hope Taylor brings nothing but success to the Utes. The most encouraging aspects of his hiring are: He has a system he believes in. He appears to have been the play caller at Eastern Washington. There will only be one play caller going forward - no Co-OC. He believes his system can adapt to drop back and spread run QBs. He has been told he will have full reign to run his offense the way he wants to run it.

There will be a lot to get done on the offense. We lose our top RB, top WR, a productive TE and most likely 4 of 5 OL. I think it will be tough to get to 9 wins next year, but it will be interesting to see how all of this plays out.

pangloss
01-03-2017, 11:22 AM
It's an interesting hire. Taylor is a fundamental change in philosophy. I'm glad they retained Harding - he's a hard-nosed, kick-ass O-line coach. I think the other assistants did well too - Scalley, Shah, Holliday, Powell, Ena, and Whittingham. I hope Taylor is so spectacularly successful that he gets a head coaching job after two years.

In the past, Coach Whit tried to implement a different offensive philosophy but scrapped it midway through a season. Two or three seasons ago, I can't remember which, they tried a hurry-up scheme. IIRC, they blew a good lead with a bunch of turnovers and drained the defense with consecutive, very quick, three-and-outs.

Every season starts with aspirations for a balanced attack with more 'chunk' plays. When it doesn't produce well a couple games in a row, the fall-back offense is power run. Terrific offensive lines, good to great running backs, and a nominal 'throwing game' can wins lots of games.

The test for Whit & Taylor will be a game in the first third of the season when an offensive game plan goes poorly. Does the team stick with Taylor's strategic plan or revert again.

Roderick & Erickson frees up $750,000. I'm guessing Taylor signed for 400K, +/-, same as Roderick, Harding and Scalley. They have one slot open for one fairly high priced assistant, or a bump for some of the existing staff and lower paid new guy. It will be interesting to see if the roles change. Will Harding stay as O line coach in addition to assistant head coach?

Other PAC assistant coach budgets are UCLA $4.0 million, Oregon $3.6, Washington $3.5, ASU $3.3, AZ $2.8, OSU $2.7, Cal $2.7, WSU $2.7, Colorado $2.7. USC and Stanford are private and don't disclose. The Utah budget for assistant coaches is $2.9M - competitive, middle of the PAC. I don't think that's a big issue.

snafu
01-03-2017, 12:21 PM
We have recruited to the spread for years, and our problems on offense are largely attributable to our inability to actually commit to running the spread. Instead we've been continuing to run pro-style sets/concepts while either sitting our spread personnel on the bench or putting them in position to fail by continuing to misutilize them in the wrong offense. The pro-style is dead at Utah and Taylor is the future.

We have heard this before. It doesn't negate the fact that Whittingham is still the head coach and will continue to run it his way. It doesn't matter who the OC is.

LA Ute
01-03-2017, 12:33 PM
We have heard this before. It doesn't negate the fact that Whittingham is still the head coach and will continue to run it his way. It doesn't matter who the OC is.

Many of us are hopeful that KW is tweaking his model just a bit. Here's an anecdote from history:

During the campaign, Reagan had promised California voters that he would not start a withholding system for state income taxes. He said his feet were “in concrete” on this. But the state was in bad economic shape. When the new governor learned the actual fiscal situation, he reversed himself. “The sound you hear,” Reagan announced, “is the concrete cracking around my feet.”

Regardless of our political leanings, many of us are hoping that the concrete is cracking around Whit's feet too, just a little bit.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-03-2017, 04:13 PM
A good 15 minute interview of Troy Taylor by Bill Riley.

http://espn700sports.com/interviews/troy-taylor-new-utah-offensive-coordinator-1-3-17/

Taylor is already deferring the offense to Whittingham saying that it's his job to make hires. Will let KW make the RB coach hire but will offer advice if asked. Kidding. I like the way this guy talks.

Diehard Ute
01-03-2017, 05:54 PM
It's an interesting hire. Taylor is a fundamental change in philosophy. I'm glad they retained Harding - he's a hard-nosed, kick-ass O-line coach. I think the other assistants did well too - Scalley, Shah, Holliday, Powell, Ena, and Whittingham. I hope Taylor is so spectacularly successful that he gets a head coaching job after two years.

In the past, Coach Whit tried to implement a different offensive philosophy but scrapped it midway through a season. Two or three seasons ago, I can't remember which, they tried a hurry-up scheme. IIRC, they blew a good lead with a bunch of turnovers and drained the defense with consecutive, very quick, three-and-outs.

Every season starts with aspirations for a balanced attack with more 'chunk' plays. When it doesn't produce well a couple games in a row, the fall-back offense is power run. Terrific offensive lines, good to great running backs, and a nominal 'throwing game' can wins lots of games.

The test for Whit & Taylor will be a game in the first third of the season when an offensive game plan goes poorly. Does the team stick with Taylor's strategic plan or revert again.

Roderick & Erickson frees up $750,000. I'm guessing Taylor signed for 400K, +/-, same as Roderick, Harding and Scalley. They have one slot open for one fairly high priced assistant, or a bump for some of the existing staff and lower paid new guy. It will be interesting to see if the roles change. Will Harding stay as O line coach in addition to assistant head coach?

Other PAC assistant coach budgets are UCLA $4.0 million, Oregon $3.6, Washington $3.5, ASU $3.3, AZ $2.8, OSU $2.7, Cal $2.7, WSU $2.7, Colorado $2.7. USC and Stanford are private and don't disclose. The Utah budget for assistant coaches is $2.9M - competitive, middle of the PAC. I don't think that's a big issue.

Yes Harding remains O-Line coach. With Erickson leaving that opened his Assistant Head Coach spot. That allows Kyle to actually give Harding a 'promotion' and raise while giving the new OC full reign.

sancho
01-03-2017, 07:40 PM
The most encouraging aspects of his hiring are: He has a system he believes in.

I agree. I love his confidence.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-03-2017, 09:56 PM

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-04-2017, 03:51 PM
History!

LA Ute
01-04-2017, 04:16 PM
History!

:clap:

LuckyUte
01-05-2017, 02:07 PM
History!

Profoundly drunk and dead broke?

Solon
01-05-2017, 04:29 PM
History!

I thought Grant was #4?

Scott, McClellan, some other guy (EDIT: Halleck), & Grant.

concerned
01-05-2017, 05:46 PM
I thought Grant was #4?

Scott, McClellan, some other guy (EDIT: Halleck), & Grant.

Hooker and Burnside and Meade

LA Ute
01-05-2017, 05:55 PM
Profoundly drunk and dead broke?

Well, we're talking before his presidency!

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-05-2017, 10:24 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170106/b45154a523929c3fc8e520e69474fa25.jpg

U-Ute
01-06-2017, 09:25 AM
History!

Yeah. A great quote that shows this is a thinking man, much in the mold of Majerus and Krystkowiak.

NorthwestUteFan
01-06-2017, 09:58 AM
Yeah. A great quote that shows this is a thinking man, much in the mold of Majerus and Krystkowiak.
And Walton.

LA Ute
01-07-2017, 08:51 AM
This quote from Goon's article in Taylor caught my eye:

Mike Alberghini, a longtime coach at Grant who has seen recruits go to Utah and was part of multiple clashes with Taylor, sees it as a cultural shift. Utah's mode of ball control and field position doesn't exactly jive with the memory of a Folsom team that ralways pushed it as far as they could.

"When they had their program together, they took no prisoners and attacked the whole time — a very precise offense," Albergini said. "Where I've seen Utah, they're not one of those gunslinger-type teams. We'll see where it goes."

Kyle's always had a lot of disdain for "go fast, go hard" offenses (so have I -- they seem gimmicky to me), so I think it's going to be interesting to see what we end up with.

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/4781771-155/utah-football-under-troy-taylor-quarterbacks

USS Utah
01-07-2017, 02:49 PM
Hooker and Burnside and Meade

Grant replaced Halleck as commander in chief of the army and retained Meade as commander of the Army of the Potomac.

concerned
01-07-2017, 04:21 PM
Grant replaced Halleck as commander in chief of the army and retained Meade as commander of the Army of the Potomac.

Well, maybe technically true, but Meade was placed under he direct supervision of grant because he failed to pursue Lee's retreat at gettysburg. Lincoln "went thru" meade before he promoted grant from vicksburg. Meade's failure was one of the reasons grant was brought east.

SeattleUte
01-07-2017, 05:33 PM
Well, maybe technically true, but Meade was placed under he direct supervision of grant because he failed to pursue Lee's retreat at gettysburg. Lincoln "went thru" meade before he promoted grant from vicksburg. Meade's failure was one of the reasons grant was brought east.

Is it that clear that Meade's failure to pursue Lee was a "failure"?

Solon
01-07-2017, 05:43 PM

It's clear that Taylor needs better analogy skills.

Lincoln got killed, and Grant was a butcher of his own men. Doesn't bode well for our program.

(before anyone jumps on me that Grant just did "whatever was necessary", take a deep breath and relax. I am joking. Mostly.)

tooblue
01-07-2017, 06:51 PM
It's clear that Taylor needs better analogy skills.

Lincoln got killed, and Grant was a butcher of his own men. Doesn't bode well for our program.

(before anyone jumps on me that Grant just did "whatever was necessary", take a deep breath and relax. I am joking. Mostly.)

This thread is hilarious ... We've all seen this movie before and yet somehow we're hoping for a different ending this time around? lol

http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/DumpsterFire2.jpg

NorthwestUteFan
01-07-2017, 08:20 PM
This thread is hilarious ... We've all seen this movie before and yet somehow we're hoping for a different ending this time around? lol

Our OC and your OC now have one year each as the OC at a D-1 level. And they did so against largely the same quality of opponents...

concerned
01-07-2017, 08:33 PM

Not to you apparently

tooblue
01-07-2017, 09:36 PM
Our OC and your OC now have one year each as the OC at a D-1 level. And they did so against largely the same quality of opponents...

... ? This is a thread about Utah hiring it's 5th coordinator in how many years? Whittingham is who he is. Nothing is going to change. What's more, the Taylor era hasn't even begun and it has already gotten off to an 'awkward' start with the whole weird analogy thingy. :rofl:

Utah
01-07-2017, 09:45 PM
The Taylor hiring means 1 of 2 things:

Whitt has finally decided to let the offense loose. He's looked at Patterson and knows his defense will suffer, but if it means more wins, then good.

Or

Whitt hasn't let go of his issues on the offensive side of the ball, we lose a game early because of our offense, Whitt demands we go run heavy again, we win 8-9 and we have a new OC in 2018.

NorthwestUteFan
01-08-2017, 12:58 AM
... ? This is a thread about Utah hiring it's 5th coordinator in how many years? Whittingham is who he is. Nothing is going to change. What's more, the Taylor era hasn't even begun and it has already gotten off to an 'awkward' start with the whole weird analogy thingy. :rofl:
9th in 11 years, really.

Are you not entertained?

UTEopia
01-08-2017, 08:25 AM

I think it is 9 OC's in 11 years, but it probably is the 5th OC since BYU last beat Utah.

sancho
01-08-2017, 10:26 AM
I think it is 9 OC's in 11 years, but it probably is the 5th OC since BYU last beat Utah.

I think it's about 15 OCs since tooblue had an original criticism of Utah sports.

tooblue
01-08-2017, 12:22 PM
9th in 11 years, really.

Are you not entertained?

9 in eleven years? Really? How did I not know that. That's not normal. Of course, this means my posts are even more accurate than usual: we've seen this movie before, which makes this thread that much more hilarious. :blink:

NorthwestUteFan
01-08-2017, 12:31 PM
9 in eleven years? Really? How did I not know that. That's not normal. Of course, this means my posts are even more accurate than usual: we've seen this movie before, which makes this thread that much more hilarious. :blink:
As a BYU graduate we can expect Kyle Whittingham to eventually make the right decision, if given enough attempts.

tooblue
01-08-2017, 12:40 PM
I think it's about 15 OCs since tooblue had an original criticism of Utah sports.

We all know you love Pride and Prejudice. We don't judge because you watch it 3, 4 or 5 times a year. But you do know the story doesn't change ... She gets her pride hurt because he's socially awkward and won't dance. He makes a dubious call on the whole sister doesn't share his buddy's affection issue. She, predictably, falls for the scoundrel and then has her come to Jesus moment but only after she sees his estate. They reconcile, all the loose ends are tied up, and they live happily ever after. No matter how many times you put the DVD on, the story stays the same. It is what it is.

tooblue
01-08-2017, 12:43 PM
As a BYU graduate we can expect Kyle Whittingham to eventually make the right decision, if given enough attempts.

The problem is his first poor choice trumps all subsequent choices. He should never have chosen to and then stayed coaching the Utes in the first place.

USS Utah
01-08-2017, 01:22 PM

Dan Sickles, who almost managed to lose the Battle of Gettysburg on Day 2, returned to Washington early due to wounds received on the battlefield. He was able to bend Lincoln's ear in order to paint himself as the hero and to poison the president's perception of Meade. When Grant took command he understood what actually happened, how Meade had won the battle, and how victory left him little with which to pursue Lee, and knew that he needed Meade.

NorthwestUteFan
01-08-2017, 01:27 PM
The problem is his first poor choice trumps all subsequent choices. He should never have chosen to and then stayed coaching the Utes in the first place.
I agree. Going to BYU is always the worst choice, and no subsequent choice can overcome that initial failure.

sancho
01-08-2017, 03:56 PM
Whitt has finally decided to let the offense loose. He's looked at Patterson and knows his defense will suffer, but if it means more wins, then good.

It didn't mean more wins for TCU this season.

I don't really know what "let the offense loose" means. I think Taylor/Whitt will continue to use our players' strengths in smart ways.

tooblue
01-08-2017, 07:05 PM
I agree. Going to BYU is always the worst choice, and no subsequent choice can overcome that initial failure.

Oh now, that's just silly, you rascal. But let's ask: would Utah football exist without the influence of BYU and all that has been and continues to be accomplished there? Of course not. Unfortunately, Whitt strayed and stayed away too long. The initial choice to coach and then stay at the U was the worst choice and evidently limiting. He will remain the head coach of a middling team from a middling conference, and nothing more. A new offensive coordinator isn't going to change that. It's too bad really. He's Utah's Bronco.

LA Ute
01-08-2017, 07:47 PM
Oh now, that's just silly, you rascal. But let's ask: would Utah football exist without the influence of BYU and all that has been and continues to be accomplished there? Of course not.

We bow in reverence to BYU, which made us what we are. When Lavelle took over in 1972 and the series record was 41-8 for Utah, he was not thinking about beating Utah at all. Selflessly, he then led the Utes out of the darkness. Now it appears that Utah is returning the favor with our 16-7 record since McBride came.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_War_(Utah_vs._BYU)

concerned
01-08-2017, 08:11 PM
Dan Sickles, who almost managed to lose the Battle of Gettysburg on Day 2, returned to Washington early due to wounds received on the battlefield. He was able to bend Lincoln's ear in order to paint himself as the hero and to poison the president's perception of Meade. When Grant took command he understood what actually happened, how Meade had won the battle, and how victory left him little with which to pursue Lee, and knew that he needed Meade.

And wherev would meade have been without Grant promoted over him? The point is Lincoln went through meade to get to grant. He knew he needed grant; he was exasperated and severely disappointed that meade had the opportunity to destroy Lee's army and end the war and didn't do it. That was Lincoln's thinking; a lot of historians agree with Lincoln's thinking and it is Lincoln's thinking that is important because he promoted grant over meade.

NorthwestUteFan
01-08-2017, 10:26 PM
Oh now, that's just silly, you rascal. But let's ask: would Utah football exist without the influence of BYU and all that has been and continues to be accomplished there? Of course not. Unfortunately, Whitt strayed and stayed away too long. The initial choice to coach and then stay at the U was the worst choice and evidently limiting. He will remain the head coach of a middling team from a middling conference, and nothing more. A new offensive coordinator isn't going to change that. It's too bad really. He's Utah's Bronco.
That reminds me. You are effectively playing a MWC schedule this year*. When will your program tuck its tail between its legs and go whimpering back to the place from whence it came?

*Playing 6 MWC teams. 7 if you count the Wyoming bowl game.

Solon
01-08-2017, 11:56 PM
That reminds me. You are effectively playing a MWC schedule this year*. When will your program tuck its tail between its legs and go whimpering back to the place from whence it came?

*Playing 6 MWC teams. 7 if you count the Wyoming bowl game.

I root against the byu as much as anyone, but I'm not giving them crap for the 2017 schedule.
They're playing LSU, Wisconsin, Mississippi State, Boise State, and Utah.
The byu isn't afraid to play anyone on the road. It's not the cougars' fault that they can't get solid November matchups.

sancho
01-09-2017, 07:17 AM
It's not the cougars' fault that they can't get solid November matchups.

Yes it is. If they were in a conference, November would be fine.

Solon
01-09-2017, 07:29 AM
Yes it is. If they were in a conference, November would be fine.
Yeah, there is that.

Diehard Ute
01-09-2017, 08:07 AM
I root against the byu as much as anyone, but I'm not giving them crap for the 2017 schedule.
The byu isn't afraid to play anyone on the road. It's not the cougars' fault that they can't get solid November matchups.

Sort of.

They play a lot of neutral field games.

Utah
01-09-2017, 08:08 AM

BYU has 8 guaranteed wins in 2017. No schedule with 8 guaranteed wins is a tough schedule.

U-Ute
01-09-2017, 11:37 AM
Wrong thread. Please take this to the "Can't Quit You" thread.

8xeua79pVj5KM

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-09-2017, 12:49 PM
Wrong thread. Please take this to the "Can't Quit You" thread.

8xeua79pVj5KM

Yes! We only discuss US history and English literature in this thread!

U-Ute
01-09-2017, 12:59 PM
yes! We only discuss us cival war history and english literature in this thread!

ftfy

LA Ute
01-17-2017, 12:35 PM
Reports are that Kyle McDonald, the running backs coach at Eastern Washington, is also coming to Utah. Hasn't been confirmed by the university yet. Riley says the report is credible, however.

Rocker Ute
01-17-2017, 01:07 PM
Reports are that Kyle McDonald, the running backs coach at Eastern Washington, is also coming to Utah. Hasn't been confirmed by the university yet. Riley says the report is credible, however.

Somewhat concerning.

Scratch
01-17-2017, 01:12 PM
Somewhat concerning.

I disagree; I like it when someone comes who Kyle or a coordinator has worked with, and worked with recently, is hired. They have a good idea of what they are getting and want that.

Rocker Ute
01-17-2017, 01:14 PM
I disagree; I like it when someone comes who Kyle or a coordinator has worked with, and worked with recently, is hired. They have a good idea of what they are getting and want that.

I guess what I am saying is RB has been a central part of our offense for a lot of years now, and if my understanding of Taylor's offense is correct it isn't big of developing RBs. I could be wrong about that, but the run game component seems to be key to success in the PAC12.

concerned
01-17-2017, 01:32 PM
I guess what I am saying is RB has been a central part of our offense for a lot of years now, and if my understanding of Taylor's offense is correct it isn't big of developing RBs. I could be wrong about that, but the run game component seems to be key to success in the PAC12.

Interestingly, the Cal and Wilner spin is that Badlwin brings an emphasis on a running attack, which has been missing under Dykes. They want Marshawn Lynch redux.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-17-2017, 02:39 PM
Official release from the university concerning McDonald.

http://www.utahutes.com/news/2017/1/17/football-kiel-mcdonald-is-new-ute-running-backs-coach.aspx

The 33-year-old McDonald has playing and coaching ties to recently retired Ute assistant head coach and running backs coach Dennis Erickson. McDonald played for Erickson at Idaho in 2006 and later served as a graduate assistant offensive quality control coach for Erickson at Arizona State in 2011.

The Eagles averaged just 79.0 rushing yards per game the year prior to McDonald's hiring—a figure he increased to 183.7 yards per game in just his second season. Even with the leading passer in the FCS last season, the 2016 Eagles averaged 128.6 rushing yards per game.

Diehard Ute
01-17-2017, 03:40 PM
Official release from the university concerning McDonald.

http://www.utahutes.com/news/2017/1/17/football-kiel-mcdonald-is-new-ute-running-backs-coach.aspx

Guessing Erickson gave a good recommendation

NorthwestUteFan
01-17-2017, 05:49 PM
At least we will save a ton of salary money.

LA Ute
04-07-2017, 11:06 AM
Jake Murphy was interviewed yesterday on ESPN700. He shares lots of insights and memories about the Utah offense's multiple personality disorder during his time with the program. He admits that only now does he feel free to speak his mind:

https://espn700sports.com/interviews/jake-murphy-former-utah-tight-end/

As students of my posts know, I used to hope that at some point, during a sleepless night, Kyle would sit up in bed at 3:00 AM, exclaiming, "I've got to make a big change in my approach to the offense, and make it stick!" With Troy Taylor, it looks like Kyle has now done a full 180. I hope that is not an overreaction, I hope it works, and if it does I hope he sticks with it.

I'll now sit by and wait for SU to attack my heretical attitude.

sancho
04-07-2017, 11:36 AM
With Troy Taylor, it looks like Kyle has now done a full 180. I hope that is not an overreaction, I hope it works, and if it does I hope he sticks with it.

It's exciting, but it also makes me nervous. We've been more successful than the recruiting rankings would predict over the past few seasons. Part of that is playing the style of offense that makes sense with our personnel.

One position that we haven't had to worry about is RB. We've had a great run of impressive backs. That's one thing we don't want to jeopardize. And, of course, we don't want to jeopardize the defense. Offense, defense, and special teams don't live in vacuums. We wouldn't trade places with Cal, for example, even though they score more points than we do.

That sounds too pessimistic for how I feel. I think Kyle is smart and experienced and will not allow Taylor to do anything harmful. This could end up being an amazing hire.

concerned
04-07-2017, 11:49 AM
It's exciting, but it also makes me nervous. We've been more successful than the recruiting rankings would predict over the past few seasons. Part of that is playing the style of offense that makes sense with our personnel.

One position that we haven't had to worry about is RB. We've had a great run of impressive backs. That's one thing we don't want to jeopardize. And, of course, we don't want to jeopardize the defense. Offense, defense, and special teams don't live in vacuums. We wouldn't trade places with Cal, for example, even though they score more points than we do.

That sounds too pessimistic for how I feel. I think Kyle is smart and experienced and will not allow Taylor to do anything harmful. This could end up being an amazing hire.

As we all know, the key to an uptempo offense is staying on the field and sustaining drives. If you do that, you tire out the opposing defense. If you don't, you tire out your defense, as we did against WSU under Dave Christensen. Do we have the scheme and personnel to sustain drives this time around? i sure hope so. There are many offenses in the Pac 12 capable of scoring 30-40 points consistently that we ought to be able to do it too, but my biggest concern is having the receivers to sustain it.

Utah
04-07-2017, 08:39 PM
As far as WR's go, Singleton is a legit PAC-12 upper level WR. Wilson has looked just as good if not better this spring. Simpkin is solid at worst. Guy Holliday said that Young has been the second best WR this spring...which if true means that Singleton or Wilson is worse (p.s. I don't buy it, I think Holliday is trying to motivate Young).

We have talent, and as bad as our passing game has been, we've always had talent at the WR position. We've always had at least one NFL receiver on the team. I'd bet we still have at least one on the team right now. Maybe two or three.

So, they are unproven, but there is talent and potential there.

Dwight Schr-Ute
04-07-2017, 09:02 PM
Does any one know of there's a chance that Johnnie Lang shows up on campus this summer? Any chance he's already there? He seemed like a great athlete who did well with his second chance. I'd like to see him succeed anywhere.

concerned
04-07-2017, 09:20 PM
Does any one know of there's a chance that Johnnie Lang shows up on campus this summer? Any chance he's already there? He seemed like a great athlete who did well with his second chance. I'd like to see him succeed anywhere.

Funny you should ask; I asked my son this the other day. They were h s classmates. As far as he knows, Lang is still in Fla. My son doesn't think he has an offer here.

UTEopia
04-07-2017, 09:41 PM

There was a twitter posted on a paid site indicating he was taking an official visit to Iowa St. this weekend. Some people seemed to suggest that the kids Utah signed at RB/WR in Feb. are better than Lang.

Utah
04-07-2017, 11:20 PM
What UTEopia said. Lang is a weird thing. Last fall, people were saying he was on the same level as Stovall. Now? It seems like Utah isn't very warm and he's taking visits elsewhere.

UTEopia
04-09-2017, 12:01 PM
I have listened to and read a number of Taylor interviews this spring. I like his demeanor. He seems like a likable guy who knows what he wants to do and has a process for getting there. I am hopeful that Whit will allow him to run his system the way he wants to run it after the first game where the offense turns it over 3 or 4 times and puts the defense in bad situations. If he does, there may be a few growing pains (losses) along the way, but it will be the first step in establishing an offensive identity. I believe that the QB play will be better regardless of who the starter is and that the receiver group will also be better. If Moss and Shyne can get and stay healthy, RB play should be steady. The big question and one that will impact every other position group is how the OL progresses. Everyone else can be better but if the OL play is weak, everyone else will get exposed.

sancho
04-09-2017, 01:45 PM
the offense turns it over 3 or 4 times and puts the defense in bad situations.

If this is part of the plan, I'd rather have arod.

Seriously, turnovers are as important as any part of the game. Whatever we do offensively better emphasize taking care of the ball. Whit has been good at this; I don't want him to stop just because we have a new OC.

Diehard Ute
04-09-2017, 02:24 PM
If this is part of the plan, I'd rather have arod.

Seriously, turnovers are as important as any part of the game. Whatever we do offensively better emphasize taking care of the ball. Whit has been good at this; I don't want him to stop just because we have a new OC.

I don't think that is what he's saying. He's saying because it's a new offense you're likely to have a game where mistakes lead to turnovers. Kyle needs to not panic and shut Taylor down if that happens.

sancho
04-09-2017, 02:45 PM
I don't think that is what he's saying. He's saying because it's a new offense you're likely to have a game where mistakes lead to turnovers. Kyle needs to not panic and shut Taylor down if that happens.

Ok. Makes sense. I'm not worried about Kyle shutting things down. He may have to give some course correctIons; he's been good at that with assistants.

USS Utah
07-13-2017, 07:12 PM
This past season, Utah averaged 216.7 passing yards per game, and it only scored 15 touchdowns all season long, whereas opponents had 23 touchdowns in pass-play. Those numbers are something that must change for the Utes, and Taylor brings something that may influence his athletes’ performance — positivity. He builds the players up, and he helps their confidence level grow. Yes, it’s college football, and these guys are expected to play like elite athletes, but at the end of the day, they still need that voice cheering them on.

http://dailyutahchronicle.com/2017/07/13/something-worth-watching-brewing-thanks-taylor/

UTEopia
07-14-2017, 08:05 PM
This past season, Utah averaged 216.7 passing yards per game, and it only scored 15 touchdowns all season long, whereas opponents had 23 touchdowns in pass-play. Those numbers are something that must change for the Utes, and Taylor brings something that may influence his athletes’ performance — positivity. He builds the players up, and he helps their confidence level grow. Yes, it’s college football, and these guys are expected to play like elite athletes, but at the end of the day, they still need that voice cheering them on.

http://dailyutahchronicle.com/2017/07/13/something-worth-watching-brewing-thanks-taylor/

The Utes averaged 29.85 points per game and the opposition 23.92.Utah scored 26 touchdowns rushing and 15 passing. The opposition scored 23 passing and 13 passing. Including defensive touchdowns, the Utes totaled 46 touchdowns to opponents 39. Utah was 21 of 25 on FG and the opposition was 14 of 19.

See:http://www.utahutes.com/cumestats.aspx?path=football&year=2016

Utah
08-27-2017, 05:29 PM
Story I heard about Taylor awhile ago:

During a practice, he felt like a CB was crossing the line vs a WR. To the point where he was out there hollering at the CB constantly. It got bad enough that Whitt yelled at Taylor to "coach your own players".

I then heard that the rest of the practice, Taylor went after that CB. Play after play, he attacked that kid and tried to show that the offense was just better.

I am hopeful he is bringing a little something extra to this offense. Something we haven't seen yet.