PDA

View Full Version : Utah 2014 Football Recruiting Discussion Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3]

sancho
02-06-2014, 02:12 PM
The value of a free education at Stanford surpasses the value of a free education at Utah in basically every way possible.

If you want to talk pure monetary value of the scholarship, I can't argue. If you want to talk about the actual experience, things get a lot more hazy.

Diehard Ute
02-06-2014, 04:25 PM
Ole Miss has released DJ Law from his LOI so he is a Ute

I've read many articles, and still can't get a completely accurate picture of what happened.

It's obvious DJ's mother was the one pushing Miss. Ole Miss said in their statement that after talking to DJ and his family it was obvious releasing him was the best option

Applejack
02-06-2014, 05:08 PM
Ole Miss has released DJ Law from his LOI so he is a Ute

I've read many articles, and still can't get a completely accurate picture of what happened.

It's obvious DJ's mother was the one pushing Miss. Ole Miss said in their statement that after talking to DJ and his family it was obvious releasing him was the best option

Did you see the article where his mom said that she had never met any of the Utah coaching staff? Could that happen? Don't they visit these recruits a bunch?

Diehard Ute
02-06-2014, 05:09 PM
Did you see the article where his mom said that she had never met any of the Utah coaching staff? Could that happen? Don't they visit these recruits a bunch?

He lives with his mom and grandparents and also spends time with his dad. Who knows how that dynamic plays out with visits.

SoCalPat
02-06-2014, 09:57 PM

I never take a parent's word on anything about their child's athletic pursuits without corroboration.

Utah
02-07-2014, 08:08 AM

Loved that article. She said her biggest concern was that he earned his degree. Didn't all of Utah's SR's get their degree and didn't most of them get their's early? How's that compare with Ole Miss?

Jarid in Cedar
02-07-2014, 11:12 AM
I never take a parent's word on anything about their child's athletic pursuits without corroboration.

The most correct statement ever made

LA Ute
03-21-2014, 09:58 AM
Tweet yesterday from Dave Christensen:

https://twitter.com/Koach_C/status/447033222224834560

Had a great call with a recruit yesterday. Real excited for the #future (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23future&src=hash). #GoUtes (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23GoUtes&src=hash) #UteNation (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23UteNation&src=hash)

UTEopia
05-15-2014, 03:32 PM
There has been a lot of talk over the years of how the Utes have botched recruiting the QB position. While much of the criticism is warranted, I think this article on ESPN shows some interesting things about QB recruiting:

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id/72357/pac-12s-2012-quarterback-class-dwindling

Two Utes
08-20-2014, 05:07 PM
Anybody want to chime on on the new recruits this week from Florida? It seems Mr. sky is falling (concerned) might have spoken too soon.

concerned
08-20-2014, 05:15 PM
Anybody want to chime on on the new recruits this week from Florida? It seems Mr. sky is falling (concerned) might have spoken too soon.

A long way to go. If they are still there in February that will be great. Still missing out on the locals, however. Don't you think this is a down year so far?

Diehard Ute
08-20-2014, 06:12 PM
Barr plays for one hell of a team. 5 ESPN 300 kids on it, he's the 7th highest rated player.

Interesting that he has ties to Kenric Young, the Thomas kid who committed last week and Ahmad Christian who transferred from South Carolina.

Applejack
08-20-2014, 08:24 PM
A long way to go. If they are still there in February that will be great. Still missing out on the locals, however. Don't you think this is a down year so far?

I don't get hung up on decommits. it happens to everyone. If we can get a few high caliber Florida kids to come play here, that is fantastic.

I do think we are whiffing on Utah kids this year, but that could just be the result of an unusually unintelligent class of kids.

Applejack
08-21-2014, 07:55 AM
Barr plays for one hell of a team. 5 ESPN 300 kids on it, he's the 7th highest rated player.

Interesting that he has ties to Kenric Young, the Thomas kid who committed last week and Ahmad Christian who transferred from South Carolina.

I just watched his highlights (which I don't normally do; I mean, everyone looks good in highlights). But whoever put them together doesn't understand football. Check out his "highlight" at the 1:50 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqG74UVrtSc

DrumNFeather
08-21-2014, 07:59 AM
I just watched his highlights (which I don't normally do; I mean, everyone looks good in highlights). But whoever put them together doesn't understand football. Check out his "highlight" at the 1:50 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqG74UVrtSc

That's awesome. "Incidental contact" :)

Applejack
08-21-2014, 08:11 AM
That's awesome. "Incidental contact" :)

I mean, you can even see the ref throw the flag. Still, he made it into the endzone.

Come to think of it, I saw some highlight reel of Utah 2012 that featured the halftime flea flicker touchdown against USC. I was pumped, until I remembered that it was called back because of an ineligible man downfield.

sancho
08-21-2014, 08:34 AM
ineligible man downfield.

That should never be called. Especially on a play like that.

I like the push off highlight. Shows me he's not afraid of some grappling. Most offensive PI goes unnoticed and can be a real advantage to a WR. He probably has to refine his technique a little though.

DrumNFeather
08-21-2014, 08:42 AM
That should never be called. Especially on a play like that.

I like the push off highlight. Shows me he's not afraid of some grappling. Most offensive PI goes unnoticed and can be a real advantage to a WR. He probably has to refine his technique a little though.

Michael Irvin got to the Hall of Fame on those PIs not getting called!

DrumNFeather
09-14-2014, 07:45 PM
Sunia Tauteoli

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsutahsports/58405015-59/utah-tauteoli-state-fall.html.csp (http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsutahsports/58405015-59/utah-tauteoli-state-fall.html.csp)

I guess this kid had offers from us, USU, and ASU out of high school, but chose the Aggies. However, after feeling some pressure to finish is associates and get to Logan in 2014, he decided to "decommit" from USU and will enroll at Utah for 2015. He's a LB who Matt Wells expected to play right away. With our LB depth, seems like a decent get.

Utah
09-14-2014, 08:03 PM
Will Masina be visiting Michigan this weekend? I'd love for us to beat Michigan with him watching.

sancho
09-14-2014, 11:03 PM
Will Masina be visiting Michigan this weekend? I'd love for us to beat Michigan with him watching.

I'm thinking it would be a bad move for the Wolverines to bring him on the week they play against his brother.

Utah
09-14-2014, 11:07 PM
I'm thinking it would be a bad move for the Wolverines to bring him on the week they play against his brother.

I agree, but had read somewhere that Masina had the Utah game as one where Michigan had invited him out.

SigmaUte
09-14-2014, 11:31 PM

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Osa-Masinas-official-visit-options-30301975

He will most likely be there this saturday for the game. It is not entirely up to the school, its the recruits choice of when to go, they just give them dates that the prospects can visit.

Utah
09-14-2014, 11:39 PM
He will send his signed LOI to Utah next February.

Applejack
09-23-2014, 07:45 AM
A couple of things:
1. Did Osa attend the Michigan game? I was sitting behind the Michigan bench but didn't see him.
2. Brian Mone has a HUGE "M" tattoo on his right bicep. I don't think he's going to transfer once Hoke gets fired.
3. Utah picked up its first big Utah recruit over the weekend: Branden Bowen (http://247sports.com/Player/Branden-Bowen-54123), offensive tackle from Corner Canyon. He also held offers from BYU, Oregon St, Boise, and Colorado.

SigmaUte
09-23-2014, 08:10 AM
A couple of things:
1. Did Osa attend the Michigan game? I was sitting behind the Michigan bench but didn't see him.
2. Brian Mone has a HUGE "M" tattoo on his right bicep. I don't think he's going to transfer once Hoke gets fired.
3. Utah picked up its first big Utah recruit over the weekend: Branden Bowen (http://247sports.com/Player/Branden-Bowen-54123), offensive tackle from Corner Canyon. He also held offers from BYU, Oregon St, Boise, and Colorado.

1. He had a scheduled visit on 9/19/14. One would have to think that he went to the game then. I didn't see him at the game nor have I heard anything about him taking a visit. Perhaps Michigan thought better of it after all. I have to assume that Michigan is no longer in his "Top 5". Maybe Utah has jumped into his top 5? One can only hope.

2. Maybe he can pass it off as it standing for "Mone"

3. Brandon Bowen received an offer from Ohio State shortly after he committed to Utah. I think he is pretty solid, but I hope that, if Utah has a rough end to their season, he doesn't decommit. Looks like he could continue to pick up some offers despite his commitment.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-23-2014, 04:32 PM
Anyone know who's taking visits this weekend? I see on Twitter a couple guys from Blinn will be there, but after checking the roster, I failed to find a Dshizzznitssss nor a keeplivin_5 listed. :what:

NorthwestUteFan
09-23-2014, 05:21 PM
A former mission companion (Schr-Ute probably remembers him) has a nephew who is trying to walk on ad a receiver at Ohio State. I hope we can influence him to take a look at Utah.

He is 6'2", runs a legit 4.4 40, and has zero drops this year as a senior. Prior to this year he played QB, and he is tearing it up on the receiving end of the passing game.

Who has a contact on the coaching staff? They might want to check his hudl site.

U-Ute
09-26-2014, 11:21 AM
Lots of recruits for the Wazzu game.

@DougKimmelScout: #Utah will have a 5-star, a handful of 4-star, and close to a dozen 3-star unofficial visitors tomorrow. For more: http://t.co/d4oCdbgSt6

Damage U
09-26-2014, 11:33 AM
Any of you special high-rollin' Ute scout fans care to let us know who? From what I see on the free side of scout there is a 4* and a handful of 3* to NRs coming in this week.

**looks like I glossed over the "unofficial visit" part of that message, but would still like to know.

DrumNFeather
09-26-2014, 11:38 AM
Per ESPN:

The Utes look to host a very solid group of official visitors as Utah coaches look to capitalize on the momentum from last week's win against Michigan. Wide receiver Jaylinn Hawkins (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/178541/jaylinn-hawkins) is the big name who will be in attendance, as the dynamic athlete holds offers from programs all over the Pac-12. He will be joined on the trip by high school teammate and offensive lineman Keven Dixon (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/194600/keven-dixon), along with defensive back and Oregon commit Jihree Stewart (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/173101/jihree-stewart) and 6-foot-5 wide receiverCaleb Repp (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/194566/caleb-repp). The Utes have found success of late at the wide receiver spot with junior college prospects, and they will look to continue that trend with Dede Westbrook, who will also be there on an official visit. Another prospect to keep an eye on will be fast-rising offensive lineman Nick Carman (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/194583/nick-carman), who has been picking up offers at a furious pace over the past few months and will be in Salt Lake City on an unofficial visit.

UBlender
09-26-2014, 12:27 PM
Any of you special high-rollin' Ute scout fans care to let us know who? From what I see on the free side of scout there is a 4* and a handful of 3* to NRs coming in this week.

**looks like I glossed over the "unofficial visit" part of that message, but would still like to know.

It's behind a paywall, but it's safe to say that for the unofficial visits, think local.

sancho
09-26-2014, 12:57 PM
It's behind a paywall, but it's safe to say that for the unofficial visits, think local.

So, who were Masina's top 5? He can't seriously be considering Michigan anymore, right? I hope he caught the ASU game last night. I loved the stat when they showed all the teams that have scored 40+ points on the Sun Devils. Sounds like a fun defense to join.

DrumNFeather
09-26-2014, 01:55 PM
So, who were Masina's top 5? He can't seriously be considering Michigan anymore, right? I hope he caught the ASU game last night. I loved the stat when they showed all the teams that have scored 40+ points on the Sun Devils. Sounds like a fun defense to join.

I was watching the Michigan replay today, and I wondered if we might see Mone transfer back here if Hoke is fired.

Applejack
09-26-2014, 01:55 PM

USC, Wisconsin, Arizona St, UCLA, Michigan.

I figure by the end of the year we will have beaten four of the five.

Applejack
09-26-2014, 01:56 PM
I was watching the Michigan replay today, and I wondered if we might see Mone transfer back here if Hoke is fired.

See my post from the Michigan game - Mone has a HUGE "M" tattoo on his right bicep; he seems like a Michigan lifer. I guess it could stand for Mone, though.

UtahsMrSports
09-26-2014, 02:09 PM
See my post from the Michigan game - Mone has a HUGE "M" tattoo on his right bicep; he seems like a Michigan lifer. I guess it could stand for Mone, though.

Meh. Remember the kid who got an Auburn or Alabama tattoo and then flipped to the other one? Tats dont mean much.

concerned
09-26-2014, 02:37 PM

You are right, The M could stand for Mone. However, his family wanted to get out of Utah for reasons unrelated to their son or to football, and I doubt they would come back from what I have heard.

sancho
09-26-2014, 04:10 PM
You are right, The M could stand for Mone. However, his family wanted to get out of Utah for reasons unrelated to their son or to football, and I doubt they would come back from what I have heard.

Even aside from this fact, he's at a big power program. They are going to land some big name coach, and the players will be excited. There won't be much of an exodus when Hoke is canned. It's not like they came to Michgan for Hoke anyway.

Homer Crimson
09-28-2014, 11:02 AM

I'll have what he's having, please.

So nice having all those recruits there last night, "Yep, if you come here, you'll get to battle it out with Colorado for last place, and maybe chalk up one WTF-win against a USC or Oregon."

DrumNFeather
09-30-2014, 11:10 AM
Utes get a commitment from Chad Hekking, a 6-4, 220 LB QB/ATH out of Vaccaville, CA, the same hometown of the band Pappa Roach. From what I can tell he had no other offers.

sancho
09-30-2014, 11:23 AM
Utes get a commitment from Chad Hekking, a 6-4, 220 LB QB/ATH out of Vaccaville, CA, the same hometown of the band Pappa Roach. From what I can tell he had no other offers.

Twitter told me that he was having conversations with WSU, OSU, and Cal. He also said that 5 position coaches have told him they want him (I'm guessing QB, Dline, LB, TE, and .... special teams?). His brother is the guy with the incredible mullet at Nevada. He is planning an LDS mission.

U-Ute
10-01-2014, 01:54 PM
This impacts all sports, but football is the hot topic right now, so I'll put it here.

Pac-12 universities propose sweeping changes to student-athlete benefits (http://pac-12.com/article/2014/10/01/pac-12-universities-propose-sweeping-changes-student-athlete-benefits)

The enhanced benefits reflect the principles outlined by the Pac-12 presidents and chancellors this past May aimed at providing student-athletes with additional support for their academic and athletic experiences. The presidents and chancellors will now act on how to implement the proposed reforms at its board meeting on October 27, via individual institutional decisions, Conference-wide action, or among the five major conferences under the new NCAA five-conference autonomy governance structure.

Among the changes the Pac-12 is proposing are increasing the amount of money available to student-athletes to cover the full cost of their attendance; providing multi-year scholarships; supporting student-athletes who return to school so they can finish their degrees; and enhancing medical support and insurance for student-athletes. Implementation of any rule changes would occur with the start of the 2015-2016 academic year.

The recruiting arms race has just been kicked up another notch.

LA Ute
10-01-2014, 02:00 PM
Twitter told me that he was having conversations with WSU, OSU, and Cal. He also said that 5 position coaches have told him they want him (I'm guessing QB, Dline, LB, TE, and .... special teams?). His brother is the guy with the incredible mullet at Nevada. He is planning an LDS mission.

So the BYU recruiting effort begins once he arrives at the mission office.

UTEopia
10-01-2014, 05:33 PM
So the BYU recruiting effort begins once he arrives at the mission office.

No. In addition to his mission call, the envelope will include a drawing of him standing side-by-side with Captain Bronconi and a special instructions on how to contact Bronco for spiritual advice.

concerned
10-02-2014, 10:06 AM
Christian Folau decommitted from Stanford, according to the Trib, and is considering Utah, as well as Oregon, Wisconsin, etc., but will go on a mission first.

That is really too bad for him personally. He has wanted to go to Stanford for ever, but couldn't come close to the minimum ACT score. My son goes to high school with him, and says he is a wonderful kid. Highly respected by everyone at the school.

sancho
10-02-2014, 10:12 AM
That is really too bad for him personally. He has wanted to go to Stanford for ever, but couldn't come close to the minimum ACT score. My son goes to high school with him, and says he is a wonderful kid. Highly respected by everyone at the school.

It is a blessing in disguise for him. He will get a quality education surrounded by normal people instead of people who have been taking SAT prep courses since the age of 8. Sounds like a great kid, not the type to fit in at Stanford. He has a 3.9 and is the student body president, and he's not good enough for them? What a bunch of @$@#^s.

Let's make sure his visit to Wisconsin is in January. He deserves to know the full truth.

Diehard Ute
10-02-2014, 10:26 AM
It is a blessing in disguise for him. He will get a quality education surrounded by normal people instead of people who have been taking SAT prep courses since the age of 8. Sounds like a great kid, not the type to fit in at Stanford. He has a 3.9 and is the student body president, and he's not good enough for them? What a bunch of @$@#^s.

Let's make sure his visit to Wisconsin is in January. He deserves to know the full truth.

Can't get a 25 on the ACT....rules are rules. It just helps fuel your hatred so I fail to see why you'd question it at all

sancho
10-02-2014, 11:52 AM
fuel your hatred

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8d8y4BLWtI

sancho
10-02-2014, 12:41 PM
He has a 3.9 and is the student body president, and he's not good enough for them?

http://www.hark.com/clips/flnvdxwrjp-think-youre-better-than-me

http://vimeo.com/39049251

Sullyute
10-03-2014, 03:16 PM
Here is an interesting graph (http://regressing.deadspin.com/chart-which-ncaa-football-teams-outplay-their-recruit-1640831522) that show which football teams outperform or underperform their recruiting rankings:

sancho
10-05-2014, 09:02 AM

Masina top 5 watch list. UCLA, USC, Wisconsin, and Michigan all lose. So far, he has seen Utah beat the Wolverines and the Bruins in person.

Damage U
10-05-2014, 12:10 PM
Masina top 5 watch list. UCLA, USC, Wisconsin, and Michigan all lose. So far, he has seen Utah beat the Wolverines and the Bruins in person.

We should make sure someone from Utah gives him a ride to the USC and ASU games. Wouldn't hurt if they did the same with Oregon and Stanford as well.

Applejack
10-06-2014, 03:08 PM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BzMwhUuCUAELqbM.jpg

Enjoy the trips, Osa! Can't wait to see you in red, white, and black with weird mountains on the sleeves next year.

justaute
10-06-2014, 10:24 PM
hmmmm...interesting commit.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Kahi-Neves-165580

Here's some additional background.
http://www.elitesportsnetwork.com/state/or/news/943

LA Ute
10-07-2014, 06:32 AM
hmmmm...interesting commit.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Kahi-Neves-165580

Here's some additional background.
http://www.elitesportsnetwork.com/state/or/news/943

Sure looks like Kyle and Co. have got religion about the importance of the QB position. Then again, based on history I wonder if he'll end up as a LB or DE?

justaute
10-07-2014, 07:31 AM
Exactly. In this SL Trib article, apparently Neves has been playing LB this season for Brighton.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsutahsports/58494762-59/sltrib-com-http-utah.html.csp

Sure looks like Kyle and Co. have got religion about the importance of the QB position. Then again, based on history I wonder if he'll end up as a LB or DE?

DrumNFeather
10-07-2014, 07:45 AM

So he's a 2016 guy...first one of that class.

concerned
10-07-2014, 07:49 AM
hope he is joined at the hip with Masina.

sancho
10-07-2014, 07:58 AM

Would any of our flipped players been better off staying at QB? Would our team have been better off?

Anyway, here's my crazy, not-well-thought-out plan for the day. We use QBs with the right skill in other positions until they reach the 2-deep. So Neves arrives, and we red shirt him. Then, he practices with the QBs in the Spring. By mid-Fall, if he is not the #1 or #2, he practices and plays with the LBrs. If, due to injury, he moves up mid-season to the #2 QB, he stops playing LB and begins practicing QB. Otherwise, he plays out the year at LB, and in the Spring he plays with the QBs again.

A hypothetical career for Neves: redshirt, linebacker, backup QB, starting QB, starting QB.

So, yeah, I know it's never gonna happen. But it's kinda fun to think about, especially if you, like me, don't think football is rocket science. Right now, I could see Cox potentially helping as a backup CB while he waits on his turn at QB. Chase Hansen could play a year at safety next year while we have Wilson, Thompson, Manning, Isom, and Cox at QB. The coaches would have to be true to plan and let the QBs compete each Spring for 1-2 on the depth chart. It would potentially take talent off the bench and put it on the field.

Applejack
10-07-2014, 08:01 AM
Would any of our flipped players been better off staying at QB? Would our team have been better off?

No and no. The flipped QBs are always beneficial for the team. I love when we flip QBs!

LA Ute
10-07-2014, 08:42 AM
Would any of our flipped players been better off staying at QB? Would our team have been better?

No to both. I was just reminding myself that high school QBs often end up starring elsewhere on college.

Applejack
10-08-2014, 12:24 PM
Quick update on Osa Masina - he cancelled his official visit to Michigan for the upcoming weekend: http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/2014/10/08/michigan-wolverines-football-recruiting/16892337/

That sounds like Michigan is out, and rightly so. I think it's down to UCLA, USC, Wisconsin, and Utah.

sancho
10-08-2014, 12:38 PM
That sounds like Michigan is out, and rightly so. I think it's down to UCLA, USC, Wisconsin, and Utah.

I thought ASU was in the mix?

I know everyone is different, but I can't imagine passing on a chance to play with one of my brothers. I would have gone anywhere outside of Provo for that experience. While at the U, I had at least 1 class with each of my three siblings, and we had a blast together.

Applejack
10-08-2014, 12:42 PM
I thought ASU was in the mix?

I know everyone is different, but I can't imagine passing on a chance to play with one of my brothers. I would have gone anywhere outside of Provo for that experience. While at the U, I had at least 1 class with each of my three siblings, and we had a blast together.

I trust that his two older brothers remind him of this fact every night.

UtahsMrSports
10-08-2014, 12:58 PM
I havent seen it posted here yet, but Matthew Piper reported on twitter that Porter Gustin has become interested in the Utes.....says he loves coach Whitt and is impressed by what he has seen so far from us this year.

I am not by any means going to get my hopes up, but if we could land Gustin and Masina.................

Update: Here is the article:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsutahsports/58500723-59/utah-whittingham-sltrib-gustin.html.csp

Applejack
10-08-2014, 01:08 PM
I havent seen it posted here yet, but Matthew Piper reported on twitter that Porter Gustin has become interested in the Utes.....says he loves coach Whitt and is impressed by what he has seen so far from us this year.

I am not by any means going to get my hopes up, but if we could land Gustin and Masina.................

Update: Here is the article:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsutahsports/58500723-59/utah-whittingham-sltrib-gustin.html.csp

Personally, I think Gustin is always saying things like he's "still considering" schools. But that's fine.

I'm making nightly prayers for the ultimate linebacker haul this year: Masina, Gustin, AND Christian Folau. Aim high, I say.

UBlender
10-08-2014, 01:45 PM
I read the blurb on Gustin to be more like lip service to Utah and maybe keeping them as a backup option in case things go south with his other interests.

Before the season there was a big five in Utah: Masina, Gustin, Folau, James and Lake. Lake is headed to BYU and sounds like he's one of those BYU guys who wouldn't go anywhere else under any circumstances. James is headed to UCLA and I have no reason to believe he'll waver, but maybe he'll see a poorly coached UCLA OL and think twice about staying home.

Utah's play here should be to full court press Folau--he seems to be very attainable right now. Of course they must keep up their efforts with Osa as long as there is a puncher's chance, but getting Folau would make it so Osa is more of a luxury and we need not be overly depressed in the likely event that he goes elsewhere.

The second tier of in-state recruits will be interesting. There are a bunch of BYU legacies in that group who supposedly are highly interested in Utah, but I'm still leery that they end up in blue when it comes right down to it.

Applejack
10-08-2014, 01:54 PM
I read the blurb on Gustin to be more like lip service to Utah and maybe keeping them as a backup option in case things go south with his other interests.

Before the season there was a big five in Utah: Masina, Gustin, Folau, James and Lake. Lake is headed to BYU and sounds like he's one of those BYU guys who wouldn't go anywhere else under any circumstances. James is headed to UCLA and I have no reason to believe he'll waver, but maybe he'll see a poorly coached UCLA OL and think twice about staying home.

Utah's play here should be to full court press Folau--he seems to be very attainable right now. Of course they must keep up their efforts with Osa as long as there is a puncher's chance, but getting Folau would make it so Osa is more of a luxury and we need not be overly depressed in the likely event that he goes elsewhere.

The second tier of in-state recruits will be interesting. There are a bunch of BYU legacies in that group who supposedly are highly interested in Utah, but I'm still leery that they end up in blue when it comes right down to it.

I've heard Folau is a Wisconsin lean at this point. That would be tragic - Stanford I can understand, Wisc I cannot.

sancho
10-08-2014, 02:57 PM
I've heard Folau is a Wisconsin lean at this point. That would be tragic - Stanford I can understand, Wisc I cannot.

You know what? Despite the silliness of Stanford worship, I actually agree with this. Wisconsin gets some points for being a state school, but the weather in CA is just so much better. Plus, it's the Pac-12 - better competition, better road trips, playing in front of friends and family in SLC. Both defenses are typically pretty good, but Stanford's is good on a different level.

I would never pick a school just for a head coach. I might eliminate a school based on a head coach, but not pick one.

justaute
10-08-2014, 07:04 PM
Looks like this guy just committed. Kyle Fulks is at Blinn, a JC in Texas. He had committed to Baylor prior to attending Blinn.

http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Kyle-Fulks-138057

Diehard Ute
10-08-2014, 07:50 PM
Looks like this guy just committed. Kyle Fulks is at Blinn, a JC in Texas. He had committed to Baylor prior to attending Blinn.

http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Kyle-Fulks-138057

3 to play 3. 10.21 100 meters in High School. He claims he's faster now.

concerned
10-08-2014, 08:13 PM
any truth the the rumor that Zach Lindsay decommitted? Reason?

Diehard Ute
10-08-2014, 08:16 PM

He did decommit. Scout claims to have the reason. I refuse to pay for any of the recruiting stuff

LA Ute
10-08-2014, 08:42 PM

I hope he's grown a bit since high school.

Diehard Ute
10-08-2014, 08:46 PM
I hope he's grown a bit since high school.

5'9 180 is what he's listed at Blinn

Bigger than Justin Thomas as reference

LA Ute
10-08-2014, 08:54 PM
I saw 160 lbs. here (http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Kyle-Fulks-138057). 180 is much better.

justaute
10-08-2014, 09:07 PM
160 is his high school weight.

I saw 160 lbs. here (http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Kyle-Fulks-138057). 180 is much better.

LA Ute
10-08-2014, 09:24 PM
160 is his high school weight.

Yeah, I figured.

justaute
10-08-2014, 10:25 PM
Here is a free Scout story on Fulk.

http://utah.scout.com/story/1461612-fulks-finds-future-home-at-utah?s=365

UtahsMrSports
10-08-2014, 10:41 PM

I dont want to be a jerk, but i have some knowledge here and this isnt a loss; in even the slightest bit.

UTEopia
10-09-2014, 06:24 AM
I dont want to be a jerk, but i have some knowledge here and this isnt a loss; in even the slightest bit.

I am thinking that this is a case of the U indicating that Zach should look elsewhere.

Damage U
10-16-2014, 12:48 PM
Any SoCal Utes know anything about the St. Brown family out of Anaheim (Servite)? Utes have offers to 3 brothers. Equanimeous (2015 and will be making a visit 11/8), Osiris (2017) and Amon-Ra (2018). All seem to be 4* WRs.

topdog
10-17-2014, 09:34 AM
That was high school at 162 and if he chose to train he'll be the top US sprinter...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_8GefSv3uw

justaute
10-17-2014, 08:46 PM
Out of curiosity....

If you were a highly recruited high-school WR or QB, would you consider Utah?

sancho
10-17-2014, 09:06 PM
Out of curiosity....

Yes.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

justaute
10-17-2014, 11:28 PM
Why?

Yes.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

sancho
10-18-2014, 08:36 AM
Why?

Well, I'm a Utah fan, so I'm going there no matter what.

Beyond that, if I've seen games, I'm thinking the offense is only a QB away from putting up big numbers. I'm looking at the WR numbers and thinking I have a chance to start right away at that position. I might get scared by the sheer number of QBs on the roster, but if I'm really a highly recruited prospect, I like my chances. I like the campus, the fans, the team's emphasis on being there for each other, and the game day atmosphere. I like the educational opportunities and the diversity on the team and campus. I like the fact that there are not likely to be many other 4 star athletes competing with me for the position. I like the way the head coach is honest with me during recruitment and doesn't seem to be a dirtbag like some of the other coaches I'm talking to. I like the fact that the team has a strong defense. I don't want to go play for an "air raid," put up stupid numbers, and lose all the time. I know that a good defense is going to get me that ball back and give many chances to win games. Basically, I see a team on the cusp, and I want to help push it over the edge.

concerned
10-18-2014, 09:22 AM
Out of curiosity....

No. I dont see any evidence that the coaching staff will develop my skills and help me get to the nfl. Unlike the defense.

sancho
10-18-2014, 09:41 AM
Out of curiosity....

Reality is that highly recruited prospects of any position are not going to strongly consider Utah. What percentage of 4/5 star players go to teams other than traditional football powers? The Utah's of the world are not going to land 5 star QBs. The good news is that QB/WR are two of the most difficult positions to accurately predict, so lesser powers regularly are able to find great QBs and WRs. If QB/WR were as predictable as OL/DL/LB/S/TE, there would never be an Ole Miss/MSU/Baylor/Arizona/etc in the top 10.

Recruits do not necessarily make smart decisions. USC will sign 2+ blue chip QBs every year. A recruit should look at that and realize his chances of becoming the starter are not as good as at a different school. But blue chip recruits (and their fathers) don't think that way. Whatever our reasons for thinking a player should or should not consider Utah are probably a million miles away from what is actually going on in a recruit's mind.

sancho
10-18-2014, 09:54 AM
No. I dont see any evidence that the coaching staff will develop my skills

I often wonder about this with QBs. Are they born or made? I posted a study here during the summer which indicated that QBs rarely make big jumps from year to year. What you see in a QB's first year is generally what you have until graduation. But we do have counterexamples (last 4 games of BJs career) where something seems to "turn on" with a QB or an offense.

What coaching staffs are great at developing QB skills? Leach always has big numbers from his QB, but they don't necessarily get better from year to year. Where are the QBs who stick around for their senior year and make giant leaps in ability?

justaute
10-18-2014, 10:02 AM
concerned & sancho...thanks for sharing your thoughts. I think both of you are on-point. By all accounts Whit is a very good coach and has created a terrific player-atmosphere/culture. That said, the lack of offensive production in the past few years is a bit troubling. Although, 4/5-star players are nice, I think 2/3-star players are fine, which we do have quite a few; however, when one digs deeper, the talent level within the 3-star tier seems quite broad. For example, just look at WSU/Cal receivers, they seem to catch everything and are not 4/5-star players ---- to be fair, maybe that's just my "grass is greener on the other side" mentality. :)

I was just wondering whether the lack of offensive production and the OC carousel will drive away the "better" 2/3-star offensive prospects; by the same token, one can argue Utah's lack of certain offensive players also presents opportunities. Just not sure Whit and the new OC can make compelling reasons to those recruits. In the end, who knows how everything might play-out. Candidly, I don't really care that much about it in that I'm a Utah fan, first and foremost. If Whit does the job, great. If not, leave. I've coached a lot of D1-level girl volleyball players, and having worked with them and their parents regarding college decisions, I know there are a lot of variables involved. Of course, I would argue the ways many of those D1-level girls look at their decisions are different from those of boys.

concerned
10-18-2014, 10:25 AM
I often wonder about this with QBs. Are they born or made? I posted a study here during the summer which indicated that QBs rarely make big jumps from year to year. What you see in a QB's first year is generally what you have until graduation. But we do have counterexamples (last 4 games of BJs career) where something seems to "turn on" with a QB or an offense.

What coaching staffs are great at developing QB skills? Leach always has big numbers from his QB, but they don't necessarily get better from year to year. Where are the QBs who stick around for their senior year and make giant leaps in ability?

whatever the reality is, new high school senior thinks he is as good as he's going to be.he wants a guru mentor and an offense to showcase his skills.

Also alex Smith would not have been the same q b if he had played for mac or whit imho.

sancho
10-18-2014, 10:26 AM
whatever the reality is, new high school senior thinks he is as good as he's going to be.he wants a guru mentor and an offense to showcase his skills.

This is true. You can't sell anyone on "QBs don't really improve much here or anywhere else. They are what they are."

sancho
10-18-2014, 10:31 AM
the "better" 2/3-star offensive prospects

The good news here is that the "better" 2/3 star players are unidentifiable. We will not get the 4/5 star QB - that kid is going to USC, UCLA, UW, or Oregon. The rest of us will pick up a few 3 star QBs and hope for the best. Our 3 stars have no worse odds than anyone else's.

justaute
10-18-2014, 10:47 AM
I don't necessarily agree here. Well, in football, I'm not sure whether 2/3-star players are identifiable. In volleyball, they are certainly identifiable, depending on the coach. Whether they can be coached "up" that's another subject.

The good news here is that the "better" 2/3 star players are unidentifiable. We will not get the 4/5 star QB - that kid is going to USC, UCLA, UW, or Oregon. The rest of us will pick up a few 3 star QBs and hope for the best. Our 3 stars have no worse odds than anyone else's.

utefan
10-18-2014, 02:29 PM
What makes those places any better than us? I can understand USC and UCLA. Movie stars, Hollywood, great weather, etc. But what makes Oregon or Washington a better place? We should be able to compete with them.

We need to beat them a few times to establish ourselves, and we need to win a couple division titles. That's the only thing separating us from them.

If Oklahoma and Nebraska can get 4 and 5 star recruits, we should absolutely be able to.

LA Ute
10-18-2014, 04:56 PM
If Oklahoma and Nebraska can get 4 and 5 star recruits, we should absolutely be able to.

Being in the PAC-12 makes that a possibility. That's one thing I love about being there.

DrumNFeather
10-21-2014, 02:23 PM
From the Pac 12 Blog:

Biggest question: What can Utah do with this schedule?

Following a home loss to Washington State, Utah was somehow able to establish a ton of momentum on the recruiting trail. Road wins against UCLA and Oregon State have recruits' eyes on the Utes, but head coach Kyle Whittingham and staff could go on an absolute tear -- including making significant impressions on 2016 and 2017 recruits -- if they can navigate the next few weeks. Utah has alternating home and road games without a bye for the next five weeks, as the Utes take on USC, Arizona State, Oregon, Stanford and Arizona. There is already some buzz building around the Utes with West region prospects and if they can find a way to make it through the upcoming schedule, it wouldn't be all that surprising to see Utah grab a surprise recruit or two between now and signing day.

DrumNFeather
10-24-2014, 10:10 AM
Recruiting visitors per the Pac 12 Blog:

USC at Utah

The Utes are scheduled to host at least three official visitors this weekend, led by Utah wide receiver commit Donzale Roddie (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/178577/donzale-roddie). Also on hand will be safety Tyson Cisrow (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/192210/tyson-cisrow) and defensive endSimitali Moala (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/193749/simitali-moala). Cisrow is another in a long line of Florida standouts the Utes are chasing in this 2015 class. Utah already holds commitments from three Florida preps and is well on its way to matching the five Sunshine State prospects signed in the 2014 class. This will be an important visit for Roddie as well, as the three-star recruit is being chased by Colorado and has said in the past that he'll continue to listen to other schools despite his verbal commitment.

Anyone hearing of anyone else that will be here?

UBlender
10-24-2014, 10:53 AM
Recruiting visitors per the Pac 12 Blog:

Anyone hearing of anyone else that will be here?[/FONT][/COLOR]

Several unofficial visitors will be there, including most of the local usual suspects. Also, commit Jake Grant has tweeted that he's coming up from Arizona on an unofficial. He seems pretty fired up about being a Ute so hopefully he will rub off on some of the others.

Applejack
10-24-2014, 01:58 PM
Several unofficial visitors will be there, including most of the local usual suspects. Also, commit Jake Grant has tweeted that he's coming up from Arizona on an unofficial. He seems pretty fired up about being a Ute so hopefully he will rub off on some of the others.

Who are these usual suspects you speak of? Hopefully Osa.

sancho
10-25-2014, 11:52 PM

Three down, one to go!

Applejack
10-25-2014, 11:54 PM
Three down, one to go!

A prophet is never accepted in his homeland.

DrumNFeather
10-31-2014, 08:17 AM
Utes get a Safety commit: http://sports.yahoo.com/utah/football/recruiting/player-Philip-Afia-162872

A few other Pac 12 schools had offered as well as Boise St.

LA Ute
10-31-2014, 10:01 AM
I saw on Twitter that a 2015 grad, a punter named Mitch Wishnowsky, has committed to Utah. Now that's a football player name!

Applejack
10-31-2014, 11:47 AM
I saw on Twitter that a 2015 grad, a punter named Mitch Wishnowsky, has committed to Utah. Now that's a football player name!

i wonder if he too is of Polish descent.

LA Ute
10-31-2014, 12:05 PM

I'm just looking forward to hearing the announcers: "Wishnowky punting from the 15 yard line." "Wishnowsky awaits the snap, obviously hoping to pin the Wildcats down deep in their own territory." Sounds cool.

hostile
10-31-2014, 12:19 PM
Utes get a Safety commit: http://sports.yahoo.com/utah/football/recruiting/player-Philip-Afia-162872

A few other Pac 12 schools had offered as well as Boise St.

my younger brother lives in chino hills. I'll have to ask him about this kid next time I see him.

Applejack
10-31-2014, 01:07 PM
Quick update on Osa Masina - he cancelled his official visit to Michigan for the upcoming weekend: http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/2014/10/08/michigan-wolverines-football-recruiting/16892337/

Three down, one to go!

So now Osa has cancelled his trip to Wisconsin and doesn't plan to reschedule (http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2014/10/21/7035531/osa-masina-recruit-wisconsin-badgers).

When we beat ASU tomorrow, we will have beaten his top 4 locations: UCLA, USC, ASU, and Michigan. So the only question left is does he commit right after Saturday's game, or does he wait for the work week to maximize the announcement's impact?

Diehard Ute
10-31-2014, 01:50 PM

Possibly. But he's an Aussie. Same kicking group Hackett came from.

justaute
10-31-2014, 02:16 PM
Yup...another Aussie. He's a big dude. Has 3 to play 3.
http://sbccvaqueros.com/sports/fball/2014-15/bios/mitch_wishnowsky_qbq8?view=splits
http://www.sltrib.com/blogs/uofusports/1768733-155/wishnowsky-football-hackett-utah-punter-australia

Possibly. But he's an Aussie. Same kicking group Hackett came from.

LA Ute
11-01-2014, 12:21 AM
Mitch Wishnowsky. I love it.

chrisrenrut
11-01-2014, 12:37 AM

I hope he's not related to this guy. Name is similar. Probably have depth perception problems, be hard to pin punts inside the 10.

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110515132411/pixar/images/3/38/Mike1.png

Damage U
11-01-2014, 10:00 AM
I'm just looking forward to hearing the announcers: "Wishnowky punting from the 15 yard line." "Wishnowsky awaits the snap, obviously hoping to pin the Wildcats down deep in their own territory." Sounds cool.

I'd love to hear an announcer get through this if he ever kicks a field goal. "Wishnowsky awaits the snap. Fuamatu Ma'afala snaps the ball. Tu'ikolovatu holds. Wait! Its a fake! Tu'ikolovatu scrambles left. He sees a wide open Fakailoatonga. Pass is away. Pass is caught at the 20. To the 15. 10. 5. Touchdown Utah!

Diehard Ute
11-09-2014, 02:59 PM
Utes have gotten 4* Cory Butler. Juco DB/WR.

He was originally a Utes commit then flipped to Kansas. He was at the game this week. Has recommitted to Utah and "shut down" his recruiting.

Said he loves the U the coaches and the city as well as the business program. Said Utah's academics helped win him back. All this per Kyle Goon of the Tribune via Twitter

https://twitter.com/kylegoon/status/531562410985787393

OrangeUte
11-09-2014, 03:16 PM
Equanimeous St. Brown

Great name. Anyone know if we have any chance?

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=pac12&id=80125

LA Ute
11-24-2014, 01:10 PM
These seem like really unfortunate comments from Brandon Bowen (http://www.sltrib.com/blogs/1865537-155/corner-canyon-branden-bowen-ol-former):

"Really, everything at Ohio State is what sold me on Ohio State. I have nothing but respect for Utah’s program, but it’s a night and day difference between the two places. The players at Ohio State are closer, the coaches’ resumes are all impressive and it’s a program that’s on the verge of competing for multiple national championships."

sancho
11-24-2014, 01:25 PM
These seem like really unfortunate comments from Brandon Bowen (http://www.sltrib.com/blogs/1865537-155/corner-canyon-branden-bowen-ol-former):

"Really, everything at Ohio State is what sold me on Ohio State. I have nothing but respect for Utah’s program, but it’s a night and day difference between the two places. The players at Ohio State are closer, the coaches’ resumes are all impressive and it’s a program that’s on the verge of competing for multiple national championships."

Since I am a bitter man, I hope this kid never sees the field at OSU or anywhere else. Hope he disappears so completely that I forget to root against him. The players are closer??? Ridiculous. Do they say "1-2-3 family?" No? I didn't think so.

DrumNFeather
11-25-2014, 10:58 AM
New commit Marcel Brown: http://sports.yahoo.com/cal/football/recruiting/player-Marcel-Brown-156257

Apparently this is Marty Johnson's brother (Edit) He considers Marty a brother...not his actual brother though).

Applejack
11-25-2014, 11:49 AM
New commit Marcel Brown: http://sports.yahoo.com/cal/football/recruiting/player-Marcel-Brown-156257

Apparently this is Marty Johnson's brother (Edit) He considers Marty a brother...not his actual brother though).

He looks like a nice pick-up. Without looking doing the necessary internet legwork, he seems like the highest rated freshman running back that we've signed in quite a while.

Applejack
11-28-2014, 09:12 AM
I just noticed that Andre James (O-tackle from Herriman; UCLA commit) is visiting Utah on Dec. 5. Anyone know if there is any chance he switches his commitment? He also has a visit at Ohio State this weekend.

OrangeUte
11-28-2014, 09:14 AM
Urban Meyer and Gary Anderson need to keep their hands out of our cookie jar!

Applejack
11-28-2014, 09:43 AM
Urban Meyer and Gary Anderson need to keep their hands out of our cookie jar!

Amen. I can't for the life of me figure out why we are going to lose Christian Folau to Wiscy. He is a linebacker (all of our LBs will be seniors next year), he lives down the street from the U (EHS), he is uber-mormon (his twitter is 50% football quotes, 50% Dallin H. Oaks), and he's a popular, well-liked kid with a ton of family and friends in the area.

I'm just astounded that kids like that (and his friend, Ula Tolutau who signed with Wisky last year) would consider going to a place where no one knows them, there is no community of (a) mormons or (b) polynesians, and it's cold, flat, and cold.

sancho
11-28-2014, 10:07 AM
I'm just astounded that kids like that (and his friend, Ula Tolutau who signed with Wisky last year) would consider going to a place where no one knows them, there is no community of (a) mormons or (b) polynesians, and it's cold, flat, and cold.

Even smart 18 year olds are not very smart. They have a great visit from a smooth talking Gary Anderson, and they're all in. They don't realize that they might have 2-3 interactions with Gary Anderson in total during their 4 years of playing for the Badgers.

If they go Pac-12, even if it's not Utah, they will at least get to play in front of friends and family every once in a while.

Applejack
11-28-2014, 10:13 AM
Even smart 18 year olds are not very smart. They have a great visit from a smooth talking Gary Anderson, and they're all in. They don't realize that they might have 2-3 interactions with Gary Anderson in total during their 4 years of playing for the Badgers.

If they go Pac-12, even if it's not Utah, they will at least get to play in front of friends and family every once in a while.

Sure, I know, 18-year olds make bad decisions.

But here's the math:

If you play at Utah (and you will play if you are a good linebacker), your family will be able to watch you play 24 times in person, without travelling (and not counting occasional games in Provo or Logan).

If you play at Wisconsin, your family will never be able to watch you play unless they fly somewhere nasty, like Wisconsin.

sancho
11-28-2014, 10:22 AM
If you play at Wisconsin, your family will never be able to watch you play unless they fly somewhere nasty, like Wisconsin.

They might be able to fly to beautiful West Lafayette, Indiana to see you play against Purdue!

justaute
11-28-2014, 12:05 PM
After spending 18 years at home, not every 18-yo wants to stay home -- if anything, 4 years of school/sports away from home could yield some good life-experience. And, OSU and UW aren't exactly "bad" football programs.

sancho
11-28-2014, 12:18 PM
After spending 18 years at home, not every 18-yo wants to stay home

True. I thought for a while I wanted to leave home. But the four years living at home and going to the U were some of the best times I've ever had. I had all the good of a great college and grew closer to my siblings than I had ever been. That's what gets me about Masina. I can't understand even contemplating another team than the one my brother plays for. I guess not all sibling relationships are the same as mine.

And, OSU and UW aren't exactly "bad" football programs.

Sure, they are decent places to play football. But there are equally decent places that are in far better locations. Unless you grow up a Buckeyes fan, why are you aching to spend time in Ohio? It's like I've said about Yale. There is no reason anyone should go there. If you can get in there, you can go to Harvard, Duke, Stanford - all equally as prestigious and all in far far better locations.

utefan
11-28-2014, 01:24 PM
Amen. I can't for the life of me figure out why we are going to lose Christian Folau to Wiscy. He is a linebacker (all of our LBs will be seniors next year), he lives down the street from the U (EHS), he is uber-mormon (his twitter is 50% football quotes, 50% Dallin H. Oaks), and he's a popular, well-liked kid with a ton of family and friends in the area.

I bet this is what everyone says when a black kid from California signs with Utah.

justaute
11-28-2014, 01:48 PM
In large, I agree with you. Though, I also have some personal knowledge of how a few schools manage their admissions.

I know several people who got into Yale, but were rejected by Duke, Harvard, Princeton, etc. As most of my colleagues went to Harvard and Penn, I know they didn't all get into the so called "equivalent" schools. Having sat on admissions committee of a private school, I know many of them "manage" theirs acceptance rate.

True. I thought for a while I wanted to leave home. But the four years living at home and going to the U were some of the best times I've ever had. I had all the good of a great college and grew closer to my siblings than I had ever been. That's what gets me about Masina. I can't understand even contemplating another team than the one my brother plays for. I guess not all sibling relationships are the same as mine.

Sure, they are decent places to play football. But there are equally decent places that are in far better locations. Unless you grow up a Buckeyes fan, why are you aching to spend time in Ohio? It's like I've said about Yale. There is no reason anyone should go there. If you can get in there, you can go to Harvard, Duke, Stanford - all equally as prestigious and all in far far better locations.

Applejack
11-28-2014, 01:49 PM
I bet this is what everyone says when a black kid from California signs with Utah.

Undoubtedly. And with good reason. And it's a very effective tactic. We rarely win recruiting battles for black kids in California when up against the likes of USC, UCLA, Cal.

utefan
11-28-2014, 03:51 PM
Undoubtedly. And with good reason. And it's a very effective tactic. We rarely win recruiting battles for black kids in California when up against the likes of USC, UCLA, Cal.

We aren't losing many recruiting battles to those schools due to a low percentage of blacks in SLC. For example, we probably beat out Fresno State, San Diego State, and Long Beach State (basketball) almost every time we recruit against those guys.

We lose to USC, UCLA, Cal, and Stanford because those are either bigger football programs, better academic schools, or both.

concerned
12-07-2014, 06:21 PM
Well, I am probably reading way way way too much into this, but my daughter has French class with Christian Folau, and said that he came to class this week in a U of U sweatshirt. It must mean something, doesn't it?

sancho
12-07-2014, 06:28 PM
Well, I am probably reading way way way too much into this, but my daughter has French class with Christian Folau, and said that he came to class this week in a U of U sweatshirt. It must mean something, doesn't it?

Don't know about that, but I hope he saw the Wisconsin game on Saturday.

I also hope his east high friends mock him plenty for considering Wisconsin and Okie St.

justaute
12-07-2014, 07:38 PM
That means we also hope he missed our Arizona game. LOL

Don't know about that, but I hope he saw the Wisconsin game on Saturday.

I also hope his east high friends mock him plenty for considering Wisconsin and Okie St.

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-18-2014, 09:57 AM
OLB Tevis Bartlett just committed to Washington over Utah. I haven't been following too closely this year, but considering the program had what is considered a historic top 5 year, recruiting sure seems to have a real blah feel to it to this point. Tipa Galeai (DE) is expected to announce tonight but seems like most expect him to go TCU. We've had some success getting Euless, TX kids, so who knows.

Applejack
12-18-2014, 12:43 PM
OLB Tevis Bartlett just committed to Washington over Utah. I haven't been following too closely this year, but considering the program had what is considered a historic top 5 year, recruiting sure seems to have a real blah feel to it to this point. Tipa Galeai (DE) is expected to announce tonight but seems like most expect him to go TCU. We've had some success getting Euless, TX kids, so who knows.

I agree - this is a pretty blah recruiting year so far. We'll see what happens in January.

I also think that success on the field translates into the following year's recruits. I think a lot of 2016 kids are considering us that wouldn't have otherwise. Of course, if we lay an egg next year that foundation disappears.

UTEopia
12-18-2014, 01:30 PM

I think Galeai is a mission kid, so we have two more years to recruit him.:moron:

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-20-2014, 03:04 AM
Sam Whittingham is apparently a pretty good senior LB for a very good Folsom, CA high school team. The kid is also Kyle's nephew. Anyone know if this kid is a D1 athlete and if so, if Utah is interested? Future walk on?

DrumNFeather
12-26-2014, 07:40 AM
Apparently we got a commitment from this kid: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/193749/simitali-moala

Not sure who is left that he committed to...OW!

Utah
12-29-2014, 10:07 AM
No JC guys this year? Hasn't most of Whitt's big time players been JC/transfer guys?

SeattleUte
12-29-2014, 10:26 PM
No JC guys this year? Hasn't most of Whitt's big time players been JC/transfer guys?

No.

UtahsMrSports
01-04-2015, 12:34 PM
The trib had some nice things to say about masina, gustin, and folau. Do we have any shot at any of these kids?

Kinda blows to not have an acting head coach right now,

sancho
01-04-2015, 01:21 PM
masina, gustin, and folau. Do we have any shot at any of these kids?

no, no, and yes

Utah
01-04-2015, 01:44 PM
The trib had some nice things to say about masina, gustin, and folau. Do we have any shot at any of these kids?

Kinda blows to not have an acting head coach right now,

With Folau looking to go to Oregon, it seems all three are leaving.

One more mark against Whitt, Sitake, ARod, Scalley and their amazing recruiting prowess.

Then again, if they can keep a couple of those kids in state...

concerned
01-04-2015, 01:58 PM
no, no, and yes

We lost folau with sitake

sancho
01-04-2015, 02:35 PM
We lost folau with sitake

That's too bad. One more 18 year old who still has no clue what he's doing. First he was willing to go to Wisconsin so that he could see Gary Anderson once in a while. Then he had Okie State on his list. Now he's crossed off the home team because Sitake is not there? I was already suspicious of the 4.0 GPA because it was at East High, and now my suspicions have been confirmed.

Then there's Masina. This guy would rather ogle sweater girls from the bench than play football with his own brother. I'm bad at pretty much everything. I'm petty, mean, and selfish. But I do know that playing with my brother for a few years would be an experience worth more than all the sweater girls and trojans and 5 star friends in the world.

I don't know anything about Gustin, but I also hope he never gets off the bench.

sancho
01-04-2015, 03:05 PM
That's too bad. One more 18 year old who still has no clue what he's doing. First he was willing to go to Wisconsin so that he could see Gary Anderson once in a while. Then he had Okie State on his list. Now he's crossed off the home team because Sitake is not there? I was already suspicious of the 4.0 GPA because it was at East High, and now my suspicions have been confirmed.

Then there's Masina. This guy would rather ogle sweater girls from the bench than play football with his own brother. I'm bad at pretty much everything. I'm petty, mean, and selfish. But I do know that playing with my brother for a few years would be an experience worth more than all the sweater girls and trojans and 5 star friends in the world.

I don't know anything about Gustin, but I also hope he never gets off the bench.

Does anyone feel like making me a list of prominent Utah kids who have gone out of state? How have they done?

Bateman (on bench at Bama)
Ngata (all-everything at Oregon)
Havili (great FB at USC)
Xavier (great lineman at UCLA)
Holtry (couldn't get on field at Michigan, transferred to G5 program)
Mone (I have no idea how his freshman year went at Michigan)
Schultz (I have no idea how his freshman year went at Stanford)
Those guys who followed GA to Wisconsin

UTEopia
01-04-2015, 06:25 PM
Does anyone feel like making me a list of prominent Utah kids who have gone out of state? How have they done?

Bateman (on bench at Bama)
Ngata (all-everything at Oregon)
Havili (great FB at USC)
Xavier (great lineman at UCLA)
Holtry (couldn't get on field at Michigan, transferred to G5 program)
Mone (I have no idea how his freshman year went at Michigan)
Schultz (I have no idea how his freshman year went at Stanford)
Those guys who followed GA to Wisconsin

Heimuli - DT at Oregon - had a good but not great career. Don't think he made it in the NFL
Fanaika - Injured and redshirted at Stanford
The kid from Granger who went to Oklahoma last year.

sancho
01-04-2015, 07:02 PM
Fanaika - Injured and redshirted at Stanford

Any others who have gone to Stanford? Seems like our recruits often go there, and I never hear from them again.

DrumNFeather
01-04-2015, 07:24 PM
Any others who have gone to Stanford? Seems like our recruits often go there, and I never hear from them again.
There was a safety from...Woods Cross? Grew up a Utah fan, went to Stanford, might be a mission kid.

sancho
01-17-2015, 04:41 PM
Utes get a commit from another JC WR: Deniko Carter. How many JC WRs is that now? 3? I'm all for it. If even one of them works out, it will help a lot.

Mormon Red Death
01-17-2015, 05:04 PM
Clay turned out alright

DrumNFeather
01-18-2015, 10:07 PM
We added 2 3 star defensive commits today from Florida, both with huge offer lists.

We also lost Justice Murphy, who also shows an offer from the Beavers.

concerned
01-19-2015, 02:41 PM
interesting tweet:

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/486616476141379585/U_h-mA2r_bigger.jpegChris Low ‏@ClowESPN (https://twitter.com/ClowESPN) 25m25 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/ClowESPN/status/557284893206777856)
Four of the Top 10 teams in final AP poll this year (TCU, Mich. St, Baylor, Ga. Tech) didn't have a top 25 signing class in 2011, 12 or 13.

Diehard Ute
01-19-2015, 03:59 PM
It's pretty interesting to see OSU invite virtually every Ute recruit for a trip and Andersen showing up at most of their houses.

Say what you will, but it's obvious Gary finds out who we're after and uses that as his recruiting road map.

Diehard Ute
01-19-2015, 04:08 PM
And another recruit has changed his commitment to Oregon State.

Utah
01-19-2015, 05:01 PM
I feel bad for these kids flipping to OSU. How are they going to feel after Utah wins 10+ this year and OSU struggles for 4-5 wins? Then they realize they are living in Corvalis and have to listen to how they suck compared to the Ducks all day long?

It's too bad.

DrumNFeather
01-19-2015, 05:11 PM
And another recruit has changed his commitment to Oregon State.
Which one?

Interesting that we're landing all these new three stars with decent offer lists while others are flipping. The last few commits have looked really good.

Diehard Ute
01-19-2015, 05:14 PM
Which one?

Interesting that we're landing all these new three stars with decent offer lists while others are flipping. The last few commits have looked really good.

Taylor Thomas running back out of Florida

I just noticed his size 5'8" 175, seems a bit small for what we run.

He tripped to OSU this weekend and Andersen and company were at his house today.

DrumNFeather
01-19-2015, 05:16 PM
Taylor Thomas running back out of Florida

I just noticed his size 5'8" 175, seems a bit small for what we run.

He tripped to OSU this weekend and Andersen and company were at his house today.
Ah, yes. He seems like a scat back.

sancho
01-19-2015, 05:20 PM
Ah, yes. He seems like a scat back.

Also seems like a sucker.

Why Taylor, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world...but for Corvallis?

Diehard Ute
01-19-2015, 05:28 PM
Utes pick up a commitment from Keven Dixon Jr 6'6" 275 lb OT, high school kid from Buena Park CA

Offers from Cal, Washington State, Oregon State, Arizona State, Colorado and Boise State among others

UtahsMrSports
01-19-2015, 05:56 PM
Sure seems to be a wash with commitments the last couple of days. I make it a point to not learn much about these kids until signing day.

How worried should we be?

UTEopia
01-19-2015, 07:57 PM
How worried should we be?

Not at all.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-20-2015, 01:11 AM
Anyone know if we have a shot at Dayan Lake who decommited from the Cougs today? Would he fit?

UtahsMrSports
01-20-2015, 07:45 AM
Anyone know if we have a shot at Dayan Lake who decommited from the Cougs today? Would he fit?

Thatd be awesome if we could. The more speed we have, the better. I heard he was considering Utah and ASU. Guess we will see.

UtahsMrSports
01-20-2015, 08:02 AM
Also heard on the radio that Noah Togiai, at one point a Utah hoops commit, took an official visit this weekend to Oregon St. for football. I think Noah could be an all-conference player in either sport and I desperately hope he stays home to play at the U.

So now Gary and Kilani are managing to ruin our hoops recruiting!

Utah
01-20-2015, 08:30 AM
Everyone is stressing about OSU, but don't they only have around 12 kids committed? Isn't their class ranked around 100?

Don't we have 19 kids committed and are in the running with 2-3 more 4 star kids? Isn't our class ranked in the 40's?

They are screwed and are scrambling. We are building.

If our class is ranked in the 40's this year, with no OC and no DC, we are in great shape.

Relax guys. OSU isn't a threat. They are an annoyance. This isn't the WAC and OSU isn't Wisconsin. They will get 4-5 wins next year and continue to slide.

sancho
01-20-2015, 08:31 AM
They will get 4-5 wins next year and continue to slide.

This is the key. One more bad year from OSU, including a fairly convincing Utah win, and the GA/KS threat is over. But if they beat us, look out.

sancho
01-20-2015, 08:34 AM
Also heard on the radio that Noah Togiai, at one point a Utah hoops commit, took an official visit this weekend to Oregon St. for football. I think Noah could be an all-conference player in either sport and I desperately hope he stays home to play at the U.

So now Gary and Kilani are managing to ruin our hoops recruiting!

I am not bothered very much by the OSU recruit defections. We knew it was happening when KS left. I will root against them and call them traitors and hope they fail, but it's all in good fan fun. But losing Noah would really depress me. I don't know or really care how good he is going to be. I just want him to stay home and play both sports.

Utah
01-20-2015, 08:35 AM
This is the key. One more bad year from OSU, including a fairly convincing Utah win, and the GA/KS threat is over. But if they beat us, look out.

OSU won 5 games this year with Mannion. I don't think they will be better next year.

Their road schedule is @Michigan, @Arizona, @WSU, @Cal, @Utah, @Oregon. They could easily go 0-6 on the road.

They also have Stanford, UCLA and Washington at home. 9 losses is not crazy talk.

Remember, the next big game Andersen wins will be his first. This isn't the WAC and OSU iant Wisconsin.

mpfunk
01-20-2015, 09:11 AM
Everyone is stressing about OSU, but don't they only have around 12 kids committed? Isn't their class ranked around 100?

Don't we have 19 kids committed and are in the running with 2-3 more 4 star kids? Isn't our class ranked in the 40's?

They are screwed and are scrambling. We are building.

If our class is ranked in the 40's this year, with no OC and no DC, we are in great shape.

Relax guys. OSU isn't a threat. They are an annoyance. This isn't the WAC and OSU isn't Wisconsin. They will get 4-5 wins next year and continue to slide.

They have a very good head coach that is an excellent recruiter. It is debateable if Anderson or Whittingham is a better head coach, but it isn't a debate who is the better recruiter.

Oregon St is a real threat.

U-Ute
01-20-2015, 09:32 AM
OSU won 5 games this year with Mannion. I don't think they will be better next year.

Their road schedule is @Michigan, @Arizona, @WSU, @Cal, @Utah, @Oregon. They could easily go 0-6 on the road.

They also have Stanford, UCLA and Washington at home. 9 losses is not crazy talk.

Remember, the next big game Andersen wins will be his first. This isn't the WAC and OSU iant Wisconsin.

That explains why Riley finally decided to bail.

Diehard Ute
01-20-2015, 11:47 PM
So Chris Barr tweeted to Taylor Thomas tonight. Said "dang bro we going to miss you"

Perhaps the rumors that he was going to decommit were premature

DrumNFeather
01-21-2015, 08:36 PM
In other news, we flipped a Cal commit today, OT Johnny Capra, a 3 star kid from California.

Utah
01-21-2015, 09:26 PM
This class is looking really, really solid. Not spectacular, but pretty freaking good.

If we could somehow land Lake, Porter and Masina....best class we've ever had.

sancho
01-21-2015, 09:29 PM

We'll either land them or beat them. I prefer the former, but I'll enjoy the latter too.

concerned
01-21-2015, 09:39 PM
This class is looking really, really solid. Not spectacular, but pretty freaking good.

Masina is going to USC. Announcing on Friday. Sark fawned all over him.

sancho
01-21-2015, 09:44 PM
Masina is going to USC. Announcing on Friday. Sark fawned all over him.

That kid has been starry-eyed for USC from the start. Turning his back on his brother to ogle the sweaters.

DrumNFeather
01-21-2015, 09:50 PM

I looked up Lake on rivals, and he showed only a BYU offer. I cannot imagine that he would decommit from them if an offer wasn't imminent from another bigger program (Presumably Utah or Oregon St.)

Diehard Ute
01-21-2015, 10:26 PM
Harding has landed two 6'6" 280 lb tackles the last 3 days. Both 3 stars. Not bad.

LA Ute
01-21-2015, 10:32 PM
I looked up Lake on rivals, and he showed only a BYU offer. I cannot imagine that he would decommit from them if an offer wasn't imminent from another bigger program (Presumably Utah or Oregon St.)

I heard from one of his high school coaches that there's a lot going on and he has indeed decommitted from BYU. Even the BYU coaches were surprised. I have no idea if Utah has a shot.

UtahsMrSports
01-21-2015, 10:51 PM
I heard from one of his high school coaches that there's a lot going on and he has indeed committed. Even the BYU coaches were surprised. I have no idea if Utah has a shot.

He has indeed committed? To BYU?

LA Ute
01-21-2015, 10:59 PM
He has indeed committed? To BYU?

Sorry, typo. He has decommitted from BYU.

sancho
01-21-2015, 11:13 PM
I just saw a tweet about Equanimeous St Brown. I want this guy as much as anyone, mostly for his name and that of his brothers.

Applejack
01-22-2015, 07:20 AM
What's the deal on folau? He and Utah are made for each other, but it seems like he's doing everything he can to go elsewhere.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-22-2015, 09:12 AM
I just saw a tweet about Equanimeous St Brown. I want this guy as much as anyone, mostly for his name and that of his brothers.

Care to expound on what the Tweet said?

sancho
01-22-2015, 09:32 AM
Care to expound on what the Tweet said?

Nothing of consequence. Something about a visit with coaches. Pretty vague.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-22-2015, 10:46 AM
What's the deal on folau? He and Utah are made for each other, but it seems like he's doing everything he can to go elsewhere.

I agree. Once Stanford was off the table, I thought we were a lock. But he just keeps fishing. Despite Stanford letting him go, he's probably not ready to let go of them.

UtahsMrSports
01-22-2015, 10:52 AM

I thought Id read here that he was a Kilani recruit and lost interest in us after Kilani left.

sancho
01-22-2015, 11:02 AM
I thought Id read here that he was a Kilani recruit and lost interest in us after Kilani left.

What a process! They fall in love with recruiters - often at positions they won't even play - and forget all about falling in love with the school and team. Forget the things that matter, follow the salesmen!

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-22-2015, 11:06 AM

This would make more sense if he didn't live a half mile from campus. His connection to the U should be much more than one person. Kids.

Diehard Ute
01-22-2015, 11:48 AM
Fred Whittingham was interviewed for an article about recruiting. He mentioned that several of the top Utah kids are making it known they want to leave the state for college and there really isn't much anyone can do to change that.

UTEopia
01-22-2015, 11:57 AM
Fred Whittingham was interviewed for an article about recruiting. He mentioned that several of the top Utah kids are making it known they want to leave the state for college and there really isn't much anyone can do to change that.

Maybe they all have overbearing parents and want to get away. The Gustin kid's dad is the only one talking to the media about Gustin. If that were my dad, i would want to get away.

Diehard Ute
01-22-2015, 12:00 PM
Maybe they all have overbearing parents and want to get away. The Gustin kid's dad is the only one talking to the media about Gustin. If that were my dad, i would want to get away.

I agree. One of the recruits had a picture with the coaches at the house. It had 33 family members in it. I'd want to leave too.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-22-2015, 12:06 PM

Yeah. I think this has been pretty apparent. Back in the MWC days, I think there was a feeling that moving to the Pac-12 would automatically eliminate that, but I think we're starting to see that some kids, especially the top kids, will see this as a ticket out of Dodge. I doubt Utah is the only state/program that deals with this.

LA Ute
01-22-2015, 12:30 PM
Yeah. I think this has been pretty apparent. Back in the MWC days, I think there was a feeling that moving to the Pac-12 would automatically eliminate that, but I think we're starting to see that some kids, especially the top kids, will see this as a ticket out of Dodge. I doubt Utah is the only state/program that deals with this.

Well, our program exists because we succeed at pulling kids away from their home states.

Two Utes
01-22-2015, 12:31 PM

By the way, Gustin is a big time player.

LA Ute
01-22-2015, 12:37 PM
I agree. One of the recruits had a picture with the coaches at the house. It had 33 family members in it. I'd want to leave too.

L.A. Times story with such a photo:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/uscnow/la-sp-usc-recruiting-update-porter-gustin-20150121-htmlstory.html

justaute
01-22-2015, 12:50 PM
Having been involved in quite a bit of D1 recruiting in women's volleyball, I can certainly affirm the Fred Whittingham's view. Outside a few exceptions, a lot of kids want to leave their home-state to "gain" a college experience. That's ok. My typical advice to both the athletes and their parents included focus on academics (range of majors offered), consider the possibility of not-playing/quitting the sport, get comfortable with the coaches and seek copious feedback, get to know the city/environment, etc.

A lot of kids have their "anchor" schools in mind, and when combined with the salesman-ship of the coaches, their field-of-view often become quite parochial. This happens a lot to adults, let alone teenage kids.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-22-2015, 01:15 PM
Having been involved in quite of bit of D1 recruiting in women's volleyball, I can certainly affirm the Fred Whittingham's view. Outside a few exceptions, a lot of kids want to leave their home-state to "gain" a college experience. That's ok. My typical advice to both the athletes and their parents included focus on academics (range of majors offered), consider the possibility of not-playing/quitting the sport, get comfortable with the coaches and seek copious feedback, get to know the city/environment, etc.

A lot of kids have their "anchor" schools in mind, and when combined with the salesman-ship of the coaches, their field-of-view often become quite parochial. This happens a lot to adults, let alone teenage kids.

Sounds like an interesting gig.

sancho
01-22-2015, 01:18 PM

My recruiting style would be to take the honest approach but also to make fun of all the other schools in a good natured way. I think it would resonate with about 3% of recruits. I also think I would make a horrible salesman.

justaute
01-22-2015, 01:27 PM
Yup :)

When I started coaching at the U for Coach Launiere, one of the first things she said to me was "Ken, you cannot date the players." I was a 23-yo student-assistant coach, so my age was pretty close to the girls. Let's just say the temptation was there and a few of the girls certainly did their part to "tease" me. LOL. As I had already known most of the players, that made the task a bit easier.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-22-2015, 01:54 PM
Yup :)

When I started coaching at the U for Coach Launiere, one of the first things she said to me was "Ken, you cannot date the players." I was a 23-yo student-assistant coach, so my age was pretty close to the girls. Let's just say the temptation was there and a few of the girls certainly did their part to "tease" me. LOL. As I had already known most of the players, that made the task a bit easier.

I'm 6'6". I used to have dreams like that.

NorthwestUteFan
01-22-2015, 03:39 PM
I'm 6'6". I used to have dreams like that.

Ditto. On both points.

UtahsMrSports
01-22-2015, 03:58 PM
Ill post this here, but for you "Noah T should play both sports!" folks......lookin at you sancho.............

http://www.sltrib.com/home/2090000-155/local-prospect-noah-togiai-choosing-between

Diehard Ute
01-22-2015, 03:59 PM
Ill post this here, but for you "Noah T should play both sports!" folks......lookin at you sancho.............

http://www.sltrib.com/home/2090000-155/local-prospect-noah-togiai-choosing-between

I think the biggest revelation in that article is the fact that academics and paperwork issues are why he failed to sign earlier.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-22-2015, 04:08 PM

Assuming Larry still wants him, I feel pretty good with him sitting down with Larry and Morgan before he catches his plane to Corvallis.

Utebiquitous
01-22-2015, 04:25 PM
I'm telling you guys/gals - Noah is the real thing as a hoops player. Two to three star basketball prospect undersells what this man can do on a basketball floor. He will have the body to defend the big-time twos and threes you face at an elite level. I'm not sure how is offensive game will translate given the upgrade in quickness and physicality. He drives, passes and scores easily at the high school level. I've mentioned before that his finishing game could improve. I really like his pull-up jump shot and spot up three skills. The grace with which he shoots belies the physical size/strength.

I love football but I hope he'll give it up after year one and go basketball.

Two Utes
01-22-2015, 04:41 PM
I'm telling you guys/gals - Noah is the real thing as a hoops player. Two to three star basketball prospect undersells what this man can do on a basketball floor. He will have the body to defend the big-time twos and threes you face at an elite level. I'm not sure how is offensive game will translate given the upgrade in quickness and physicality. He drives, passes and scores easily at the high school level. I've mentioned before that his finishing game could improve. I really like his pull-up jump shot and spot up three skills. The grace with which he shoots belies the physical size/strength.

I love football but I hope he'll give it up after year one and go basketball.

So, I'd like to get a little feel for how you evaluate talent. I saw Zach Seljaas (BYU commit, Bountiful) play last night. What do you think about him? For those who forget, he chose BYU over Utah's offer.

sancho
01-22-2015, 04:51 PM

Great news! How could Larry K not want him now? A free body who doesn't take up a scholarship? That's great. OSU's willingness to go two sport may have helped us become willing (just a thought - nothing about that in the article).

And how does he turn down two top 25 programs for two programs that may never see the inside of the top 25 again?

UtahsMrSports
01-22-2015, 05:11 PM
I just have to chuckle a little to myself at this thought.

You have a guy who is a tight end prospect, so the coaches will probably want him around 240-250. Same kid wants to play 2-guard...... that is pretty big for a 2 guard!

Hey, ill take him!

Utebiquitous
01-22-2015, 05:19 PM
Two Utes,
I haven't seen Seljaas so I cannot compare the two. I won't get a look at him until the state tournament. I don't know that Noah compares to anyone this year that I've seen. The unique thing about him is his body now and what his body can be. Physically, there just aren't any seniors I've seen in years who are his size and can move the way he moves. Jordan Loveridge was incredibly imposing as a senior at 6'6" but he couldn't/doesn't move like a guard nor did he have the ball-handling skills. Watching Stanley Johnson against us Saturday made me think of Togiai. I'm not saying he's that skilled but he has the body and certainly a high level of skill. He also plays above the rim.

I also like his demeanor. He appears to really love playing the game and competing. One thing I've noticed in three games I've watched of his this season is how he delights in the success of his teammates. He loves to assist. He takes plenty of shots and at times could use better judgement but selfishness is not a word I'd ever associate with Noah. This isn't a Jackson Emery type who's open as he gets off the bus.

In fact, comparisons to an Emery or even the younger Haws would be interesting. Noah is most definitely more athletic than Emery. Haws is faster and a better ball-handler but I don't know if it's by much. Neither of them could ever hope to guard and rebound at the level Noah could. I don't think he's far behind what they were as a shooter.

I sound like his agent - don't know him. I just think he's exactly what Utah needs at the two.

Diehard Ute
01-22-2015, 05:42 PM
Two Utes,
I haven't seen Seljaas so I cannot compare the two. I won't get a look at him until the state tournament. I don't know that Noah compares to anyone this year that I've seen. The unique thing about him is his body now and what his body can be. Physically, there just aren't any seniors I've seen in years who are his size and can move the way he moves. Jordan Loveridge was incredibly imposing as a senior at 6'6" but he couldn't/doesn't move like a guard nor did he have the ball-handling skills. Watching Stanley Johnson against us Saturday made me think of Togiai. I'm not saying he's that skilled but he has the body and certainly a high level of skill. He also plays above the rim.

I also like his demeanor. He appears to really love playing the game and competing. One thing I've noticed in three games I've watched of his this season is how he delights in the success of his teammates. He loves to assist. He takes plenty of shots and at times could use better judgement but selfishness is not a word I'd ever associate with Noah. This isn't a Jackson Emery type who's open as he gets off the bus.

In fact, comparisons to an Emery or even the younger Haws would be interesting. Noah is most definitely more athletic than Emery. Haws is faster and a better ball-handler but I don't know if it's by much. Neither of them could ever hope to guard and rebound at the level Noah could. I don't think he's far behind what they were as a shooter.

I sound like his agent - don't know him. I just think he's exactly what Utah needs at the two.

But will he survive the football weight gain? They want to put him at TE, imagine they'll want a 40-50 pound increase in weight

LA Ute
01-22-2015, 06:53 PM
Sorry, typo. He has decommitted from BYU.

Dayan is not going to be a Ute. Great athlete but lacks PAC-12 speed, I am told.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-22-2015, 08:21 PM
Dayan is not going to be a Ute. Great athlete but lacks PAC-12 speed, I am told.

I don't remember. Is he a CB or safety?

LA Ute
01-22-2015, 10:50 PM
I don't remember. Is he a CB or safety?

CB, I think. The word on him seems to be that he won't be able to keep up with PAC-12 receivers.

Utah
01-22-2015, 11:44 PM
CB, I think. The word on him seems to be that he won't be able to keep up with PAC-12 receivers.

Could he bulk up and play LB?

sancho
01-23-2015, 06:57 AM
Could he bulk up and play LB?

Yes, we should be able to provide a safe landing for kids who are sharp enough to realize that they don't want to be in Provo.

Applejack
01-23-2015, 07:10 AM
Lake is the best of the second tier of Utah prospects (after gustin, masina, that ucla ot, and folau). If he's not Pac12 caliber no one we are signing from Utah is either.

sancho
01-23-2015, 07:37 AM
Lake is the best of the second tier of Utah prospects (after gustin, masina, that ucla ot, and folau). If he's not Pac12 caliber no one we are signing from Utah is either.

It's not a science. He might very well be a fantastic HS corner who just isn't fast enough for the next level. He would still get rated higher than some other kids (at other positions) who will transition better. It's like that Vehoko kid. If I remember right, he was a 3 star linebacker, but people kept backing off due to speed concerns.

That said, I won't be upset if he ends up here and we make him a SS or LB or special teams machine.

concerned
01-23-2015, 08:07 AM

and Braden Bowen, who dumped us for Ohio State.

DrumNFeather
01-23-2015, 10:53 AM
It's not a science. He might very well be a fantastic HS corner who just isn't fast enough for the next level. He would still get rated higher than some other kids (at other positions) who will transition better. It's like that Vehoko kid. If I remember right, he was a 3 star linebacker, but people kept backing off due to speed concerns.

That said, I won't be upset if he ends up here and we make him a SS or LB or special teams machine.

Maybe he gets a preferred walk-on spot.

LA Ute
01-23-2015, 11:14 AM

All I have been told is that it's his speed. I'm told his best 100 time is a wind assisted 11.25. Mostly his times were around 11.45. Just as a comparison, I'm told, Kyle Fulks ran a 10.21 wind assisted and a 10.77 unassisted 100. I'm not taking any position (that would be laughable -- I know nothing about evaluating football talent), just relaying what I have been told. I think -- but am not sure -- that he still has a shot if he can show some other truly special skills. But he probably won't ever be playing corner at Utah.

sancho
01-23-2015, 12:10 PM
So, when a Utah high school has a big announcement party/assembly for Osa Masina, do students boo when he picks USC? Because I would have. Booed him till my throat gave out. Whether I was a student, teacher, principal, or head coach.

Two Utes
01-23-2015, 12:25 PM
Two Utes,

Seljaas is a tremendous shooter. Can really score. As good as I've seen at this level. But he's not fast enough to guard a wing and not big enough to guard the post. He's perfect for BYU--run, shoot, don't play D. They will have to play a lot of zone with him or he will be exposed, IMO.

sancho
01-23-2015, 12:28 PM
They will have to play a lot of zone with him or he will be exposed, IMO.

Good thing their other players can fill in the defensive gaps for him....oh, wait. No.

mpfunk
01-23-2015, 12:28 PM
So, when a Utah high school has a big announcement party/assembly for Osa Masina, do students boo when he picks USC? Because I would have. Booed him till my throat gave out. Whether I was a student, teacher, principal, or head coach.

So as an adult you would boo a kid who has making a decision to take a better opportunity?

sancho
01-23-2015, 12:31 PM
so as an adult you would boo a kid who has making a decision to take a better opportunity?

Boooooooo! Booooooooo!

UtahsMrSports
01-23-2015, 12:42 PM
So as an adult you would boo a kid who has making a decision to take a better opportunity?

Yes. He deserves it. My satisfaction is far more important here.

LA Ute
01-23-2015, 12:56 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlM3CKXJs5k

Diehard Ute
01-23-2015, 02:15 PM
Seljaas is a tremendous shooter. Can really score. As good as I've seen at this level. But he's not fast enough to guard a wing and not big enough to guard the post. He's perfect for BYU--run, shoot, don't play D. They will have to play a lot of zone with him or he will be exposed, IMO.

So did we really offer him? Or did we back off?

He doesn't sound like someone that fits what Larry wants

Two Utes
01-23-2015, 02:42 PM
So did we really offer him? Or did we back off?

He doesn't sound like someone that fits what Larry wants

We did offer and he decided to go to BYU.

Diehard Ute
01-23-2015, 02:42 PM
We did offer and he decided to go to BYU.

Sounds like we won based on your review ;)

chrisrenrut
01-23-2015, 04:24 PM
Sounds like we won based on your review ;)

And BYU won because they got a kid that fits their playing style. Win-win.

And Seljaas won because he's a BHS kid going to the most homogenous, boring college, from the high school that fits the same mold. Win-win-win.

Utebiquitous
01-23-2015, 08:21 PM
Diehard,
I meant to reply to your comment about Togiai yesterday - I thought it was astute. If he plays football - whether Utah plays him at Defensive End or Tight End - they'll put serious weight on him. I don't see how he'll be able to play the two-guard if his weight rises above 220 to 225 pounds. I don't see how he's effective as a 6'4" power forward. If football is providing the scholarship he'll have to give them the stronger commitment.

Diehard Ute
01-23-2015, 08:36 PM
Diehard,
I meant to reply to your comment about Togiai yesterday - I thought it was astute. If he plays football - whether Utah plays him at Defensive End or Tight End - they'll put serious weight on him. I don't see how he'll be able to play the two-guard if his weight rises above 220 to 225 pounds. I don't see how he's effective as a 6'4" power forward. If football is providing the scholarship he'll have to give them the stronger commitment.

That's my thought as well.

I know he is the one that wants to forego a decision and play both, but I just don't see how it's beneficial to him, or to either team really.

UTEopia
01-23-2015, 10:57 PM
That's my thought as well.

I know he is the one that wants to forego a decision and play both, but I just don't see how it's beneficial to him, or to either team really.

Believing you can do something and actually doing it are two different things. He can do it in high school so he believes he can do it in college. The difference is that in high school, football and basketball may overlap for a week or two at most. In college, basketball practice starts in early October and games start in mid-november. Football does not end for most teams until the christmas holiday. The reality is he will be too far behind to make any impact in basketball. If the basketball team is involved in March madness, you miss spring football, and lost out on valuable time for making your mark on the football field. Who do you train with in the summer? Football or basketball? You can't train with both.

mUUser
01-27-2015, 09:52 AM
All I have been told is that it's his speed. I'm told his best 100 time is a wind assisted 11.25. Mostly his times were around 11.45. Just as a comparison, I'm told, Kyle Fulks ran a 10.21 wind assisted and a 10.77 unassisted 100. I'm not taking any position (that would be laughable -- I know nothing about evaluating football talent), just relaying what I have been told. I think -- but am not sure -- that he still has a shot if he can show some other truly special skills. But he probably won't ever be playing corner at Utah.

Exactly what football benefit is there in measuring a straight line 100 yd dash for football, that can't be garnered from a 40-50 yd dash plus a shuttle relay?

LA Ute
01-27-2015, 10:01 AM
Exactly what football benefit is there in measuring a straight line 100 yd dash for football, that can't be garnered from a 40-50 yd dash plus a shuttle relay?

I don't know. I don't know that the Utah coaches are looking at 100 times, that was just research someone did. But I understand that the coaches don't think he can keep up with PAC-12 WRs, which is death to his hopes to be a DB in that league.

Now I'll watch as he becomes an All-American somewhere else.

SeattleUte
02-04-2015, 11:13 AM
God bless Noah. I wish him all the best. But he's getting way too much attention. Neither as a basketball player or a football player do the experts regard him too highly. I hope he proves them wrong! But there's no reason for Ute fans to dwell on this.

Applejack
08-30-2018, 01:29 PM
Great to go back thru this thread and see how wrong everyone was about everything!

One eternal truth remains: any recruit from the state of Utah who goes to a non-Pac 12 P5 school is destined for mediocrity. We spent so much time angsting about Brian Mone (Michigan, part time player, 10 tackles last year (https://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2018/04/michigan_dt_bryan_mone_fights_1.html)) and Kenyon Frison (Oklahoma then Eastern Arizona CC then (https://twitter.com/brandonhuffman/status/771420039874392064) ?). Of course, it would be nice to have had Jackson Schultz.

concerned
08-30-2018, 01:37 PM
Dalton Schultz?