PDA

View Full Version : We love (to beat) LA! - The Southern California homestand

UtahsMrSports
01-09-2017, 06:55 AM
Two big games this week. Both top 40 RPI. As good a chance as we will have to boost our big dance resume. Hard to see us getting an at large if we go 0-2 here.

sancho
01-10-2017, 01:12 PM
Has anyone watched USC this season? I have seen only a few minutes of a couple of games. In one of the games, whoever was calling it was raving about their deep bench.

Their resume is pretty thin. Lots of wins, but not any wins against teams headed to the tournament. Close loss against Cal looks good, I guess.

DrumNFeather
01-10-2017, 02:04 PM
Has anyone watched USC this season? I have seen only a few minutes of a couple of games. In one of the games, whoever was calling it was raving about their deep bench.

Their resume is pretty thin. Lots of wins, but not any wins against teams headed to the tournament. Close loss against Cal looks good, I guess.

I watched their games against Wyoming, Oregon, and Cal. They are certainly very talented and probably a team that would beat us in their building, or maybe it would be close. I think we can get them in the Huntsman Center though.

Ma'ake
01-10-2017, 03:17 PM
I watched Cal @ USC - agree they're pretty talented.

In that game, their 6-11 sophomore Metu was hitting mid range jumpers. He's still pretty young, I don't think he'll be that big of a threat at our place. Last year McLaughlin did damage against us, but Poeltl, Loveridge and Taylor responded.

Benny Boatwright is supposed to be close to coming back from a knee injury. He was a serious outside threat last year, too.

We should be able to hold them off, at the Hunty.

sancho
01-10-2017, 06:06 PM
Utah is 0-3 vs tournament teams so far. We have 4-6 games remaining against tournament teams (plus the conference tournament):

USC, UCLA, Oregon x 2, and maybe Cal x 2 if they get in.

That makes USC a must win for us, and it means we have to beat UCLA and/or Oregon.

SoCalPat
01-12-2017, 10:42 AM
Utah is 0-3 vs tournament teams so far. We have 4-6 games remaining against tournament teams (plus the conference tournament):

USC, UCLA, Oregon x 2, and maybe Cal x 2 if they get in.

That makes USC a must win for us, and it means we have to beat UCLA and/or Oregon.

We can't lose tonight. We know what's at stake here.

Rocker Ute
01-12-2017, 12:42 PM
Why do I inherently hate Enfield? Has there been controversy around him or does he just have a punchable face?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrumNFeather
01-12-2017, 12:50 PM
Why do I inherently hate Enfield? Has there been controversy around him or does he just have a punchable face?

I feel like he and Larry had some beef a while back...but I have no idea what it was about.

concerned
01-12-2017, 07:01 PM
Mitt Romney is here

Mormon Red Death
01-12-2017, 07:50 PM
Anybody else lose the feed?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Diehard Ute
01-12-2017, 07:52 PM
After that first half I'm fairly certain these refs believe players should move when someone is driving.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-12-2017, 08:07 PM
Those first five minutes were total garbage. Next 15, pretty good. It'd be even better if we could eliminate their offensive rebounds at the rim.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-12-2017, 08:25 PM
I miss the continuation of my youth.

LA Ute
01-12-2017, 08:43 PM
I'm listening to Riley at the airport. This is becoming a nice blowout. Of a ranked team!

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-12-2017, 08:53 PM
I'm listening to Riley at the airport. This is becoming a nice blowout. Of a ranked team!

Having a great night from three. Even Collette got in on the fun.

sancho
01-12-2017, 09:09 PM
Boom!

Ucla at home is the game if the year. Should we spot them ten points? Seems to work alright.

Diehard Ute
01-12-2017, 09:14 PM
I miss the continuation of my youth.

Sorry, that was on the floor.

DrumNFeather
01-12-2017, 09:40 PM
I'm starting to think (as Don McLean said) that we could challenge for that 4th spot...it will take basically no WTF losses and at least a home split vs Oregon and UCLA.

Cal will have something to say about it as will others I'm sure.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Solon
01-12-2017, 09:49 PM
I'm starting to think (as Don McLean said) that we could challenge for that 4th spot...it will take basically no WTF losses and at least a home split vs Oregon and UCLA.

Cal will have something to say about it as will others I'm sure.

Utes shot 53% from 3-point range tonight (9/17). Yowzers.

Old Standing ute
01-12-2017, 09:57 PM
Sedrick Barefield was really good tonight.
JoJo is not a good ball handler & Bonam is not a true point guard.

They might have to start Sedrick to get a better start--although the first few shots were good/close but just would not drop.

Is Enfield the worst coach in the league??
USC acted like they had never seen Utah play a zone & at the half they made no adjustments.??

Rocker Ute
01-12-2017, 10:07 PM
Great win but before we get to confident, USC is the type of team that loses these type of games. They need to shot well and be up-tempo to win because they don't play defense. Don't count on us shooting over 50% beyond the arc or overall against UCLA.

I will of course happily be wrong about all of that. This is a different team with Barefield and Collette on the floor.

sancho
01-12-2017, 10:16 PM
Leaf vs kuzma! Battle of the double double, ball handling bigs.

SeattleUte
01-12-2017, 10:29 PM
Why do you guys say Daniels can't hit the three? He keeps hitting them and eventually it means he can hit them. How long's it been since we had a freshman as good as he is? as complete a player as he is? We'd have loved Delon Wright to hit threes like Daniels can.

LA Ute
01-12-2017, 10:41 PM
Why do you guys say Daniels can't hit the three? He keeps hitting them and eventually it means he can hit them. How long's it been since we had a freshman as good as he is? as complete a player as he is? We'd have loved Delon Wright to hit threes like Daniels can.

I'm pretty excited about him. He has size and springs. If he can keep shooting well he could be a Dillon Brooks type. Other teams will have to take him into account in their game planning.

chrisrenrut
01-12-2017, 11:09 PM

He's shooting a great 3 point percentage, but he seems hesitant to take them. He has only attempted 16 on the season, which makes his percentage less statistically significant. Bonam, Zamora, Rawson, and Kuzma have all taken near or well over 40 attempts. Zamora is the only one shooting close to his percentage, but with 54 attempts, it easier to declare him a real 3 point threat. Daniels only seems to shoot them when wide open, or at the end of a shot clock. Opposing teams are not going to game plan for Daniels outside shooting.

That said, I'm very excited above it him. If he continues to hit wide open 3's, opponents will have to respect it, and it will open up driving opportunities for him, where he really shines.

Utebiquitous
01-12-2017, 11:28 PM
Seattle,
I'm really happy to be wrong about Daniels' shooting. I do think the shot looks a little uncomfortable. I compare the shot to the ease with which Barefield and Zamora shoot from distance or even Bonham and I think he needs some work. I know that sounds silly. He may be our most valuable player thus far. He is contributing in every facet of the game.

Diehard Ute
01-12-2017, 11:47 PM
He's shooting a great 3 point percentage, but he seems hesitant to take them. He has only attempted 16 on the season, which makes his percentage less statistically significant. Bonam, Zamora, Rawson, and Kuzma have all taken near or well over 40 attempts. Zamora is the only one shooting close to his percentage, but with 54 attempts, it easier to declare him a real 3 point threat. Daniels only seems to shoot them when wide open, or at the end of a shot clock. Opposing teams are not going to game plan for Daniels outside shooting.

That said, I'm very excited above it him. If he continues to hit wide open 3's, opponents will have to respect it, and it will open up driving opportunities for him, where he really shines.

And prior to the last two games (where he's 5-5) he was 2-11.

As Larry said, Daniels isn't someone you draw up 3 point plays for, or even think that's who should be shooting it, but he's making them. If he can build on that during his career he'll be deadly

Diehard Ute
01-13-2017, 07:25 AM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/la-sp-usc-basketball-20170111-story.html#nt=oft01a-1li2

This article is worth it just to hear Stewart whine. Maybe he should have stayed home. He didn't bother to score.

Applejack
01-13-2017, 07:26 AM
Very nice Ive always been curious about how a decade sounds, but Ive never been brave enough to try one. Are they anything like the old Gibson EB-0?
No!!! Don't be a moron!!! You obviously don't know anything.

Old Standing ute
01-13-2017, 08:54 AM
Seattle,
I'm really happy to be wrong about Daniels' shooting. I do think the shot looks a little uncomfortable. I compare the shot to the ease with which Barefield and Zamora shoot from distance or even Bonham and I think he needs some work. I know that sounds silly. He may be our most valuable player thus far. He is contributing in every facet of the game.

I also am happy to be wrong.
He shoots a ball with absolutely no spin--no wrist follow through. Which is against all shooting gurus advice. But he has the ability/touch to make them--same with his free throws & his floaters---they are knuckleballs that don't knuckle.

It will be interesting to see if anyone tries to alter his shot over the summer.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-13-2017, 09:39 AM
Ha.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170113/05c260680cc815dfc85d95cbc4a3b726.jpg

SeattleUte
01-13-2017, 10:23 AM
What did everybody think of the blocking call on I think Collette (I was watching on my phone with sound off) just before the half? Was that one of those Sancho random calls?

chrisrenrut
01-13-2017, 10:31 AM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/la-sp-usc-basketball-20170111-story.html#nt=oft01a-1li2

This article is worth it just to hear Stewart whine. Maybe he should have stayed home. He didn't bother to score.

Wow that was good for a laugh. "When I go to cold Utah and Colorado, I get a sore throat!". "When other team's fans yell at me, it hurts my feel-bads. I'm someone's child!". Didn't realize that had so many snowflakes at USC.

sancho
01-13-2017, 10:31 AM
What did everybody think of the blocking call on I think Collette (I was watching on my phone with sound off) just before the half? Was that one of those Sancho random calls?

The play-by-play guy asked Don if it should have been called a charge or a block. The idea of a no-call doesn't even enter their minds. I think that was a good example of what should be a no-call. Collette had position, but the Trojan moved to the side to avoid most of the contact. Collette fell on his own. No call!

SeattleUte
01-13-2017, 10:43 AM
The play-by-play guy asked Don if it should have been called a charge or a block. The idea of a no-call doesn't even enter their minds. I think that was a good example of what should be a no-call. Collette had position, but the Trojan moved to the side to avoid most of the contact. Collette fell on his own. No call!

That's my idea. Block/charge should be no call, except in exceptional circumstances. The randomness problem exists mostly with three seconds and block/charge. Right?

concerned
01-13-2017, 11:17 AM
I thought the worst call of the night was the second non-shooting foul call that took a basket away from Kuzma, but we got a three pointer out of it.

DrumNFeather
01-13-2017, 11:25 AM
I thought the worst call of the night was the second non-shooting foul call that took a basket away from Kuzma, but we got a three pointer out of it.

He had a couple of those...

sancho
01-13-2017, 11:28 AM

That was pretty bad.

Here's an update on 3 point FG%:

Collette 100%
Zamora 44%
Daniels 44%
Barefield 42%
Van Dyke 36%
Connor 36%
Bealer 32%
Rawson 26%
Bonam 26%
Kuzma 25%

Kuzma, Bonam, Zamora, and, most notably, Daniels have all increased their percentages lately.

sancho
01-13-2017, 11:31 AM
We were in an 8 man rotation again. Only Barefield played in double digit minutes off the bench, though.

8 minutes for Johnson, 9 for Rawson.

UCLA played 8 last night as well. All 8 played double digit minutes.

SeattleUte
01-13-2017, 11:50 AM
This UCLA team is the GS Warriors of college basketball. Are we long enough, athletic enough, and dedicated enough to defend against those 35 foot threes that get launched all of a sudden and swish?

snafu
01-13-2017, 12:08 PM
I am not sure if we have the firepower to beat this UCLA team. It should be a good barometer to see where we stand against the elite of college hoops. We have a lot riding on Barefield and his development. I was glad to see him have a good game last night. How unfortunate that I will miss this game since I will be clawing my eyes out trying to pass the CPA exam. Ugh!!

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-13-2017, 12:27 PM
The Bruins scored 104 points last night in Boulder. Apparently no elevation, sore throats or mean fans at play.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-13-2017, 02:28 PM
UCLA opens at -5.

Hayes6
01-13-2017, 05:25 PM
UCLA opens at -5.

Down to -3.

SeattleUte
01-13-2017, 06:00 PM
Serious question. Has LK beaten an elite team yet? I'm still traumatized by the Oregon games last season and NCAA second round against Gonzaga. I don't think he's ever beaten Arizona, hopeful as we've always been of it. I don't bet really, and I'd never bet against the Utes, but honestly, I'd be glad to give the three and take UCLA. There's a first time for everything, but this looks like the Arizona games and the Oregon games and Gonzaga. Kodiak's teams tend to get killed in these games. Yes, the opponents are a lot more talented. That's the point. It would be great if he could get one of these for once, like Ryle Majingham have from time to time.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-13-2017, 06:12 PM
Serious question. Has LK beaten an elite team yet? I'm still traumatized by the Oregon games last season and NCAA second round against Gonzaga. I don't think he's ever beaten Arizona, hopeful as we've always been of it. I don't bet really, and I'd never bet against the Utes, but honestly, I'd be glad to give the three and take UCLA. There's a first time for everything, but this looks like the Arizona games and the Oregon games and Gonzaga. Kodiak's teams tend to get killed in these games. Yes, the opponents are a lot more talented. That's the point. It would be great if he could get one of these for once, like Ryle Majingham have from time to time.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z59_o5nXLy8

SeattleUte
01-13-2017, 06:24 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z59_o5nXLy8

Thanks for reminding me. How could I have forgotten. I enjoyed that. I love Taylor. What's he doing now? Anyone know?

UtahsMrSports
01-13-2017, 07:22 PM
Thanks for reminding me. How could I have forgotten. I enjoyed that. I love Taylor. What's he doing now? Anyone know?

Playing in Hungary.

Mormon Red Death
01-13-2017, 07:35 PM
We beat arizona last year

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

SeattleUte
01-13-2017, 09:08 PM
We get a break with UCLA playing us the second game of the road trip, two days after the first.

Applejack
01-14-2017, 08:42 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFShNiGXy-Q

Applejack
01-14-2017, 08:45 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8PdTqvvcuc

I don't consider Georgetown an elite team, but some people would.

justaute
01-14-2017, 09:52 AM

Agreed -- I'm also of the opinion that Georgetown is no longer an "elite" program/team, but is still very good.

What about Duke? We did win at MSG.

SeattleUte
01-14-2017, 11:37 AM
Agreed -- I'm also of the opinion that Georgetown is no longer an "elite" program/team, but is still very good.

What about Duke? We did win at MSG.

True. That was a victory over an elite team. I don't know why I was focusing on the negative here. It's not like me at all. That's LAUte's and concerned's province.

SeattleUte
01-14-2017, 11:41 AM

That was an impressive Sweet 16 qualifying win over an elite tradition, but not an elite program, currently. The Utes were favored and seeded higher, I believe. JT needs to get back to basics, the Princeton offense, even if it means recruiting fewer ESPN 50s or GU may have to fire a John Thompson.

Applejack
01-14-2017, 12:08 PM
True. That was a victory over an elite team. I don't know why I was focusing on the negative here. It's not like me at all. That's LAUte's and concerned's province.

What? No mention of MPFunk during games? He definitely can hold his own in the pessimism category there.

LA Ute
01-14-2017, 12:53 PM

I admire the strength of your testimony. We have no shot at corrupting you or making you doubt.

U-Ute
01-14-2017, 03:45 PM
Scouts at the game today:

Scouts from the Atlanta Hawks, Detroit Pistons, Sacramento Kings, & Dallas Mavs are in attendance for today's Utes Bruins game
#GameDayU

justaute
01-14-2017, 04:39 PM
Really dislike Rawson. He adds almost no value thus far.

sancho
01-14-2017, 04:50 PM
Really dislike Rawson. He adds almost no value thus far.

We really need to get him to the point where he is not a big liability on defense.

justaute
01-14-2017, 04:56 PM
We really need to get him to the point where he is not a big liability on defense.

No kidding. If you are a defensive liability, at least try to counter some with offense -- none so far. Scoring a bunch against non-D1 or low-D1 programs does not count -- kinda like our rebounding advantage in early games.

sancho
01-14-2017, 04:56 PM
Ucla is BYU basketball if BYU had good basketball players. Happy to sacrifice defense for the sake of offense. Plus, they have an ugly, balding sharpshooter.

sancho
01-14-2017, 04:57 PM
No kidding. If you are a defensive liability, at least try to counter some with offense -- none so far. Scoring a bunch against non-D1 or low-D1 programs does not count -- kinda like our rebounding advantage in early games.

He has size, and he's not slow or clumsy. There's no excuse for his defense to be this bad. It's just free points when he's in the game.

Ma'ake
01-14-2017, 04:59 PM
These announcers are hideous. Bonham never played with Delon, and the putback from Welsh was in the cylinder.

sancho
01-14-2017, 05:02 PM
These announcers are hideous. Bonham never played with Delon, and the putback from Welsh was in the cylinder.

Bonzo picked a great game to reappear.

U-Ute
01-14-2017, 05:05 PM
Utah standing toe-to-toe to a really good team.

But we did that with Xavier and Butler too. We need to get over the hump.

justaute
01-14-2017, 05:35 PM
If you know Ball is adept at stealing, why would you be so nonchalant with backcourt passing? Time and again.

justaute
01-14-2017, 05:47 PM
Big missed call on Ball while Kuz trying to dunk. Maybe it's a bit of karma on that phantom Alford call.

SeattleUte
01-14-2017, 05:48 PM
Wish we hadn't called timeout

sancho
01-14-2017, 05:52 PM
Big missed call on Ball while Kuz trying to dunk. Maybe it's a bit of karma on that phantom Alford call.

As usual, a college basketball game comes down to officiating. What a huge miss.

Sideline would have been much better than baseline for us there.

SeattleUte
01-14-2017, 05:56 PM
That last timeout was negligent. Coaching malpractice. The foul situation dictated the decision--no timout. But we've discussed in the past how every time Kodiak does this he loses. Let them fucking play at the end of the game! We lose more than our share of these and it's usually about overcoaching.

sancho
01-14-2017, 05:58 PM
That last timeout was negligent.

Our chances there in semi-transition were so much better than our chances out of a timeout.

sancho
01-14-2017, 05:59 PM
What were the rebound numbers? We gave up two offensive boards late that turned into three pointers for the Bruins.

justaute
01-14-2017, 06:01 PM
Ball is just fantastic. Such a smart player.

Hopeful Daniels continue to develop -- terrific trajectory so far.

Rawson -- do something useful for once.

Collett -- don't try to follow-up dunk on everything. You don't have the hops. Just grab the board.

SeattleUte
01-14-2017, 06:02 PM
Our chances there in semi-transition were so much better than our chances out of a timeout.

Not to mention, the instructions should have been if we rebound the ball with whatever time left play ball, and go score. Don't look at me as there will be no timeout. They were hesitant because they knew he wanted a timeout. They should have been hell bent to score and not looking at the sideline.

SeattleUte
01-14-2017, 06:03 PM
Ball is just fantastic. Such a smart player.

Hopeful Daniels continue to develop -- terrific trajectory so far.

Rawson -- do something useful for once.

Collett -- don't try to follow-up dunk on everything. You don't have the hops. Just grab the board.

Collette is terrific. He so far exceeds my expectations it's ridiculous.

LA Ute
01-14-2017, 06:05 PM
That last timeout was negligent. Coaching malpractice. The foul situation dictated the decision--no timout. But we've discussed in the past how every time Kodiak does this he loses. Let them fucking play at the end of the game! We lose more than our share of these and it's usually about overcoaching.

End of game tactics are not LK's best thing. Just let Bonam do his thing and drive or dish.

I feel bad for Kuzma. That was a brainless shot.

LA Ute
01-14-2017, 06:08 PM

LK almost lost his mind on that one. One of his assistants had to restrain him.

justaute
01-14-2017, 06:08 PM
Collette is terrific. He so far exceeds my expectations it's ridiculous.

Don't disagree. Just an observation.

concerned
01-14-2017, 06:21 PM
On the postgame, Larry said he wanted Bonham to push it, but bonham called the time out.

They got too too too many second chance points off of offensive repounds. The Rawson johnson lineup killed us. I think we were a collective - 20 for their time on the floor.

concerned
01-14-2017, 06:23 PM
What were the rebound numbers? We gave up two offensive boards late that turned into three pointers for the Bruins.

We out rebounded 35-34. But second chance points were 23-9.

SeattleUte
01-14-2017, 06:28 PM
On yhe postgame, Larry said he wanted Bohan to push it, but bonham called the time out.

They got too too too man second chance points off of offensive repounds. The Rawson johnson lineup killed us. I think we were a collective - 20 for their time on the floor.

He needed to have told him that the last time they huddled or before that. I was remembering the last play of the Oregon State game last year. Every time my little kids go anywhere out of my sight I say watch for cars. He should have said no fouls then, just to make sure it was an on their minds. Bonham should have known, here I am, we talked about this, coach wants me to do my thing.

It's interesting you're such an LK apologist in contrast to football season.

concerned
01-14-2017, 06:28 PM
Also on the postgame, Soto said kuzma should have driven and make them foul.

LA Ute
01-14-2017, 06:29 PM
There's a lot to like about this team and this game. Daniels is sooo promising. Such poise and court vision in a freshman. Bonam makes things happen. Barefield has great potential. I love how many guys we have who can get to the hoop and score. Collette's footwork and scoring ability are a pleasant surprise. Jo Jo didn't have a great game but he's going to be a good weapon for us.

Now if Krysko can just change his approach to end of game situations. The only time I've seen his teams do well in that situation was last year against Colorado. And what did he do? He let Bonam go coast to coast and score.

Sigh.

But...everything this team is doing this year will be foundational for next year. I think we'll be good. Maybe we will yet sneak into the Dance this year.

concerned
01-14-2017, 06:31 PM
There's a lot to like about this team and this game. Daniels is sooo promising. Such poise and court vision in a freshman. Bonam makes things happen. Barefield has great potential. I love how many guys we have who can get to the hoop and score. Collette's footwork and scoring ability are a pleasant surprise. Jo Jo didn't have a great game but he's going to be a good weapon for us.

Now if Krysko can just change his approach to end of game situations. The only time I've seen his teams do well in that situation was last year against Colorado. And what did he do? He let Bonam go coast to coast and score.

Sigh.

But...everything this team is doing this year will be foundational for next year. I think we'll be good. Maybe we will yet sneak into the Dance this year.

Duke game in NY too

justaute
01-14-2017, 06:33 PM

Sigh.

If you read the post by concerned, apparently LK did want Bonham to drive without taking the timeout.

sancho
01-14-2017, 06:39 PM
They got too too too many second chance points off of offensive repounds. The Rawson johnson lineup killed us. I think we were a collective - 20 for their time on the floor.

It's tough. Ucla is bombs away from distance, so there are a lot of long boards.

Maybe they were gassed, but I would have preferred running the starters to death in a game like this. Rawson just can't get in until he is not free points for the bad guys.

Why does a help perimeter defender collapse on Ball when he drives? We all know he's looking to kick out for a three. Force that guy to make a tough layup.

SeattleUte
01-14-2017, 06:40 PM
Duke game in NY too

Duke was not an elegant finish.

LA Ute
01-14-2017, 06:49 PM
If you read the post by concerned, apparently LK did want Bonham to drive without taking the timeout.

Saw that. Maybe Bonam saw something.

Anyone else wonder why the ball ended up in Kuzma's hands 24 feet from the hoop? I'd love to watch a replay of that one. Surely we wanted the ball in the hands of Daniels, Bonam or Barefield.

LA Ute
01-14-2017, 06:50 PM
Duke was not an elegant finish.

I thought you were looking for a win over an elite team, not one with an elegant finish.

sancho
01-14-2017, 06:50 PM
There's a lot to like about this team and this game.

A one point loss is so frustrating. So many pivotal plays, decisions, calls and no calls. Alford's three before the half. The times we shot bad threes early in the clock. The careless passes stolen by Ball. The bench giving up our lead. Even the good shots that just missed. Bummer.

sancho
01-14-2017, 06:52 PM
Anyone else wonder why the ball ended up in Kuzma's hands 24 feet from the hoop? I'd love to watch a replay of that one. Surely we wanted the ball in the hands of Daniels, Bonam or Barefield.

Yeah, that was not plan a.

Again, we would have been better off from the sideline.

justaute
01-14-2017, 06:52 PM
A one point loss is so frustrating. So many pivotal plays, decisions, calls and no calls. Alford's three before the half. The times we shot bad threes early in the clock. The careless passes stolen by Ball. The bench giving up our lead. Even the good shots that just missed. Bummer.

And all the missed free throws.

sancho
01-14-2017, 06:59 PM
And all the missed free throws.

Ugh.

SeattleUte
01-14-2017, 07:04 PM
Yeah, that was not plan a.

Again, we would have been better off from the sideline.

The first problem with timeouts in those situations is that you have to inbound the damn ball. UCLA's world class basketball players defended our plan A really well. The rule should be no timeouts in those situations, ever. You just increase the things that can go wrong. You let them get into their most advantageous situation, instead of reacting to movement that's hard to anticipate; you cede control. Here, the foul situation meant we had five instead of twelve seconds to shoot even once inbound was successful. So the timeout was egregious.

mUUser
01-14-2017, 07:09 PM
Great punch, counterpunch game. Also the atmosphere was awesome. Wish some of you would listen to the post game coaches interviews. Usually informative about game time decisions, and you might learn something beyond your own biases about the game. Fortunate to have World class coaches for the major sports.

sancho
01-14-2017, 07:16 PM
The first problem with timeouts in those situations is that you have to inbound the damn ball. UCLA's world class basketball players defended our plan A really well. The rule should be no timeouts in those situations, ever. You just increase the things that can go wrong. You let them get into their most advantageous situation, instead of reacting to movement that's hard to anticipate; you cede control. Here, the foul situation meant we had five instead of twelve seconds to shoot even once inbound was successful. So the timeout was egregious.

I agree. I think this point of view is taking over in college basketball and will be more and more common.

justaute
01-14-2017, 07:38 PM
Oh, I certainly hope Johnson can develop into at least a role player -- he just looks so stiff. It's a bit disappointing given that he has been in the program for 1.5 years and was a 4*-rated player. We can use an inside presence and more rebounding.

Diehard Ute
01-14-2017, 07:47 PM
Oh, I certainly hope Johnson can develop into at least a role player -- he just looks so stiff. It's a bit disappointing given that he has been in the program for 1.5 years and was a 4*-rated player. We can use an inside presence and more rebounding.

He's only been here a year.

He was a mid season enrollee and came last December.

justaute
01-14-2017, 07:50 PM
He's only been here a year.

He was a mid season enrollee and came last December.

You're right...was just thinking 2015.

LA Ute
01-14-2017, 07:52 PM
This team is still learning. I hope they work on the bad choices on the threes. I have always wondered why Kuzma has the green light to shoot the three.

SeattleUte
01-14-2017, 08:05 PM
I wonder why UCLA didn't foul before the timeout.

U-Ute
01-14-2017, 08:13 PM
I have contended since Barefield and Collette joined the team in December that we won't see what this team can do until the end of January. They are still on track for that, but what I see is very promising.

We may not win the P12 Tournament, but I think we can have a victory that helps our NCAA case.

UtahsMrSports
01-14-2017, 08:44 PM
The end of game.....meh.....it happens.

The coaching move I question most came at the 13 minute mark when Johnson and Rawson checked in. I get that david and kyle need their rest but you have to stagger them there. The lead evaporated quickly.

Still, while I am bummed at the result, I am thrilled with the path we are on. Just keep going!

concerned
01-14-2017, 09:25 PM

The coaching move I question most came at the 13 minute mark when Johnson and Rawson checked in. I get that david and kyle need their rest but you have to stagger them there. The lead evaporated quickly.

Still, while I am bummed at the result, I am thrilled with the path we are on. Just keep going!

Same in the first half. Ahead 24-18 when they checked in, behind 29-27 when they left. (Or thereabouts)

LA Ute
01-14-2017, 09:32 PM
Same in the first half. Ahead 24-18 when they checked in, behind 29-27 when they left. (Or thereabouts)

Is this a depth problem, or simply the wrong mix of players at the wrong time?

Old Standing ute
01-14-2017, 10:54 PM
Partly they get a media timeout under 12. So you get rest for both starters for a minute or 2 plus the timeout rest & they go back in.

But it is hard to score with those 2 both out.

sancho
01-14-2017, 11:21 PM
But it is hard to score with those 2 both out.

Not for the other team.

UtahsMrSports
01-14-2017, 11:34 PM
In fairness, jayce had a really nice few minutes In the first half. I'm not worried about him. Look at where kuzma was this time two years.... Third string with wild inconsistencies. If he buys in, he will be just fine.

sancho
01-14-2017, 11:39 PM
In fairness, jayce had a really nice few minutes In the first half. I'm not worried about him. Look at where kuzma was this time two years.... Third string with wild inconsistencies. If he buys in, he will be just fine.

I also believe in jayce. He's not as explosive, but he has the size and energy to be our next bachynski off the bench.

Diehard Ute
01-14-2017, 11:55 PM

Kuzma looked a bit tired, and he was forcing shots. I think ideally Larry wants to leave him in, but I really wasn't surprised to see him out then.

LA Ute
01-15-2017, 08:07 AM
Should Kuzma be shooting so many threes? Going into the UCLA game he had the second-highest number of attempts (48) and the lowest percentage of hits (25%), tied with Rawson. I'm not talking about the last shot last night, but his season-long performance.

U-Ute
01-15-2017, 08:17 AM
Should Kuzma be shooting so many threes? Going into the UCLA game he had the second-highest number of attempts (48) and the lowest percentage of hits (25%), tied with Rawson. I'm not talking about the last shot last night, but his season-long performance.

Yes. He can hit them. Needs to continue to take them.

SeattleUte
01-15-2017, 08:19 AM
25 percent from 3 is the same as 37.5 percent from 2, in terms of production. But there may be other tactical reasons that affect the opponents' defense. But that last unfortunate shot wasn't ideal or planned, I'm sure. It wasn't his or any other player's fault.

Applejack
01-15-2017, 09:13 AM
Yes. He can hit them. Needs to continue to take them.

No! He shoots a terrible % and it looks like his shot is broken. No more 3s for kuzma.

DrumNFeather
01-15-2017, 09:26 AM
No! He shoots a terrible % and it looks like his shot is broken. No more 3s for kuzma.
I'd rather say no 3s for Rawson...

UtahsMrSports
01-15-2017, 09:47 AM
So a lot of folks on Twitter are having a field day with our crowd for cheering so loud at the buzzer beating shot. I'm curious what others in attendance thought. For me, I got excited because I thought I heard whistles for a foul. Anyone else?

sancho
01-15-2017, 10:32 AM
So a lot of folks on Twitter are having a field day with our crowd for cheering so loud at the buzzer beating shot. I'm curious what others in attendance thought. For me, I got excited because I thought I heard whistles for a foul. Anyone else?

I know I have Twitter set up well since I was unaware of this.

I don't get why Utes follow cougars.

Watching at home, I got excited for a moment hoping for a foul. Goodness knows we deserved a call after the botched call a minute earlier. Not sure how anyone could have missed that call.

Ma'ake
01-15-2017, 10:40 AM
Kuzma looked a bit tired, and he was forcing shots. I think ideally Larry wants to leave him in, but I really wasn't surprised to see him out then.

Agree. It's too bad that our last best shot ended up being a fade away from long distance. UCLA handled the foul situation smartly, and their D on the inbounds was max, with Kuzma with a crappy shot at the end.

sancho
01-15-2017, 10:46 AM

I've always been in your camp on this. But kuzma has been shooting a reasonable percentage so far in conference play. He started the season below 20%, and is up to 25% overall.

If he remains above 30% from here out, I'm fine with him shooting. We have so few shooters, and it can help his game so much when he hits.

Now he (everyone) really needs to work on knowing what is a good three and what is a bad three. Take threes off of ball rotation, off of kick outs, and off of offensive rebounds. Not out of laziness after holding the ball for five seconds.

Utebiquitous
01-15-2017, 10:51 AM
Kuzma is so much better around the basket and the intermediate game that it frustrates me when he takes too many threes. That last three was clearly not the play. Credit UCLA for taking our first look away but there was time for more than a somewhat desperate hoist from Kuzma.

sancho
01-15-2017, 11:02 AM
I've always been in your camp on this. But kuzma has been shooting a reasonable percentage so far in conference play.

He's 7-21 so far in conference.

I do want him driving or posting up more than shooting from the outside.

Ma'ake
01-15-2017, 11:15 AM

33% from range is a threat. If he can pull a big out of the paint... do it. Collette would be far more effective if interior D's can't sag.

While Barefield has kind of diminished as a threat from distance, Daniels is the bigtime surprise. Wow! Where did *that* come from? He might be our 2nd best overall player, right now.

Zamora has also exceeded my expectations.

LA Ute
01-15-2017, 11:49 AM

Yeah, for a split second i seemed like there was a whistle. That's what everyone around me thought. I couldn't tell but I hoped....

Riley (Or Tommy Connor, I don't recall which) said it after the game: UCLA just made one more play than Utah.

LA Ute
01-15-2017, 11:51 AM

Me too. But for whatever reason the coaches are letting him launch threes.

Old Standing ute
01-15-2017, 02:10 PM
Yeah, for a split second i seemed like there was a whistle. That's what everyone around me thought. I couldn't tell but I hoped....

Riley (Or Tommy Connor, I don't recall which) said it after the game: UCLA just made one more play than Utah.

Connor also said last play option 1 was Collette who was open, but inbound passer missed him & that option 2 was Kuzma, but he made a mistake by shooting instead of driving to the hoop & scoring or drawing a foul.

LK today in paper: they can practice how long 5 seconds really is in an empty gym, but totally different with game on the line & everyone screaming.

SeattleUte
01-18-2017, 12:03 PM
Note that Altman did not call a timeout between Alford's miss and Brooks' game winning shot.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/playbyplay?gameId=400915596

LA Ute
01-18-2017, 12:31 PM
Note that Altman did not call a timeout between Alford's miss and Brooks' game winning shot.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/playbyplay?gameId=400915596

Are you criticizing LK for calling a timeout against UCLA? I thought we had learned that Bonam called the TO and that the coaches had wanted the team to keep playing.

DrumNFeather
01-18-2017, 12:37 PM
Are you criticizing LK for calling a timeout against UCLA? I thought we had learned that Bonam called the TO and that the coaches had wanted the team to keep playing.

Either way, we gotta figure out how to be better in those end-of-game situations.

LA Ute
01-18-2017, 12:56 PM
Either way, we gotta figure out how to be better in those end-of-game situations.

Yes. It's been a long-standing Krysko weakness.

SeattleUte
01-18-2017, 06:37 PM
Bonham's confusion was the coaches' not the kid's fault. Don't they drill this in practice. Didn't they talk about it in the prior timeout?

SeattleUte
01-18-2017, 06:38 PM
A coach who blames a player for his own error is not cool. Character defect.

LA Ute
01-18-2017, 07:18 PM
Bonham's confusion was the coaches' not the kid's fault. Don't they drill this in practice. Didn't they talk about it in the prior timeout?

I agree that Bonam should have known what to do in that situation and that the coaches should have drilled it into them. It's deficient coaching. You were extolling Altman's decision not to call a timeout in another game and I didn't understand why.

SeattleUte
01-18-2017, 07:56 PM
I agree that Bonam should have known what to do in that situation and that the coaches should have drilled it into them. It's deficient coaching. You were extolling Altman's decision not to call a timeout in another game and I didn't understand why.

Troll

LA Ute
01-18-2017, 08:02 PM
Troll

It never occurred to me that by agreeing with you I would throw you off your game. I'm going to have to do that more often.