PDA

View Full Version : Sweeping the NW corridor - Utah vs Oregon/Oregon State

U-Ute
01-23-2017, 03:40 PM
Oregon
Thursday, 8:30 PM MT in Salt Lake City. TV: FS1

Oregon State
Saturday, 5:00 PM MT in Salt Lake City. TV: PAC-12 Networks

No word on whether or not Collette will be available yet.

What's Oregon's injury situation? Are they at full strength?

Diehard Ute
01-23-2017, 03:42 PM
Oregon
Thursday, 8:30 PM in Eugene. TV: FS1

Oregon State
Saturday, 5:00 PM in Corvallis. TV: PAC-12 Networks

Pretty sure those games are at the JMHC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

U-Ute
01-23-2017, 03:47 PM
Pretty sure those games are at the JMHC.

Hah... Whoops! You're right!

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-23-2017, 04:17 PM
Oregon
Thursday, 8:30 PM MT in Salt Lake City. TV: FS1

Oregon State
Saturday, 5:00 PM MT in Salt Lake City. TV: PAC-12 Networks

What's Oregon's injury situation? Are they at full strength?

Brooks questionable with a sprained foot (same as he had surgery on), I'm going to go with Brooks being doubtful.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-24-2017, 11:10 AM

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-24-2017, 12:52 PM
Just now listening to Larry's weekly presser now. Even though he starts things off with the above statement he later slips (intentionally?) that they won't have Collette in practice for "awhile." Or something like that. Doesn't sound promising.

sancho
01-24-2017, 01:51 PM
Pretty excited for the game.

Since there is no "spoiled Ute fan" thread, I will say this here. Depending on how you view bowl games and/or weak preseason basketball opponents, we are going on a 3-4 year streak of zero meaningless games. Every Ute game I've watched for 3+ years has been a high stakes game. That's just amazing. How many fan bases get to say that? I would watch regardless, but it sure is fun to have something on the line every game.

chrisrenrut
01-25-2017, 09:35 AM
I'm getting very excited for this game. I badly want to see us beat Ducks after what they did to us last year in the PAC-12 tournament. They have also beaten us 7 straight times.

I hope we can get a great crowd, against the #10 team with a revenge factor. But a later game on a Thursday night might be tough. There are still lots of tickets in the upper bowl available.

U-Ute
01-25-2017, 09:47 AM
Altman announced that Brooks will be a "game time decision".

In a riveting battle of gamemanship, Krystkoviak countered that Collete will now be a "game time decision".

Diehard Ute
01-25-2017, 11:27 AM
I'm getting very excited for this game. I badly want to see us beat Ducks after what they did to us last year in the PAC-12 tournament. They have also beaten us 7 straight times.

I hope we can get a great crowd, against the #10 team with a revenge factor. But a later game on a Thursday night might be tough. There are still lots of tickets in the upper bowl available.

There were 700 tickets available 2 days ago. 14,300 already sold for a late Thursday is pretty impressive.

DrumNFeather
01-25-2017, 12:53 PM
Our RPI is currently sitting at 61, Oregon's is at 13. What kind of bump does a win give us? 40s?

sancho
01-25-2017, 01:22 PM
Our RPI is currently sitting at 61, Oregon's is at 13. What kind of bump does a win give us? 40s?

More than RPI, it gives us a win against a sure tournament team. We are currently 0-4 vs tournament teams and 1-0 vs bubble teams. We have to get in the win column vs tourney teams, and Oregon is our only regular season chance.

snafu
01-25-2017, 01:25 PM
There were 700 tickets available 2 days ago. 14,300 already sold for a late Thursday is pretty impressive.

It seems like we need to reduce seating at the Hunty. What is the right number? Add some luxury boxes and reduce the seating to 12,500 sounds about right

Hayes6
01-25-2017, 01:40 PM
It seems like we need to reduce seating at the Hunty. What is the right number? Add some luxury boxes and reduce the seating to 12,500 sounds about right

I don't see any reason to reduce seating. The basketball team fills it a couple of times a year and the gymnastics team fills it several times a year. Adding luxury boxes would not make sense in that facility and in this market. It would cost far more to do than it would generate in income. It's a great, historic basketball facility and should remain as it is.

snafu
01-25-2017, 02:03 PM
I don't see any reason to reduce seating. The basketball team fills it a couple of times a year and the gymnastics team fills it several times a year. Adding luxury boxes would not make sense in that facility and in this market. It would cost far more to do than it would generate in income. It's a great, historic basketball facility and should remain as it is.

It just seems like college ball is not as popular as it once was and the giant arenas are not filled very often. I am not suggesting tearing it down but rather updating it to include more amenities and less seating. It would create a better atmosphere with sellouts most every game instead of just a few of the marquee games. I disagree, the SLC market continues to grow and luxury boxes are essential to sports arenas.

chrisrenrut
01-25-2017, 02:03 PM

I agree. The Huntsman Center is definitely dated, but I love it. If we can't come up with the financial justification to expand RES, I can't see any major structural changes or a replacement happening to the Huntsman Center anytime soon.

concerned
01-25-2017, 02:08 PM
I agree. The Huntsman Center is definitely dated, but I love it. If we can't come up with the financial justification to expand RES, I can't see any major structural changes or a replacement happening to the Huntsman Center anytime soon.

I thought there are plans to widen the concourses move out the offices and create luxury boxes in the upper level.

LA Ute
01-25-2017, 02:18 PM
I thought there are plans to widen the concourses move out the offices and create luxury boxes in the upper level.

I am pretty sure that the athletic department is moving out of the facility, but I don't know if that is part of expanding concessions and other amenities outside the arena, or something else.

Hayes6
01-25-2017, 02:27 PM
I am pretty sure that the athletic department is moving out of the facility, but I don't know if that is part of expanding concessions and other amenities outside the arena, or something else.

That would definitely make sense. More and better concessions and some kid friendly entertainment would be great additions.

By the way, I think the next line of The Second Coming, the Yeats poem you quote is "Lest there be a ten-yard penalty."

Diehard Ute
01-25-2017, 02:29 PM

I know the goal was to eliminate all offices in the JMHC for two reasons

1) To stop paying rent for office space

2) Expand the concourses, both for more space for concessions and to make them wider.

SeattleUte
01-25-2017, 03:24 PM
They should restore EN Fieldhouse and go back there. Then we'd have a little jewel box of an arena like Hec Ed, and it would be worse to play in than the Pit. Washington neglected its basketball for decades and it turned out well in this respect: now it has the Fenway Park of college basketball. It's not so much that college basketball is less popular; the huge arenas were a fad in the 60s and 70s.

But maybe the Huntsman Center is getting retro cool in its own way?

LA Ute
01-25-2017, 03:29 PM
They should restore EN Fieldhouse and go back there. Then we'd have a little jewel box of an arena like Hec Ed, and it would be worse to play in than the Pit. Washington neglected its basketball for decades and it turned out well in this respect: now it has the Fenway Park of college basketball. It's not so much that college basketball is less popular; the huge arenas were a fad in the 60s and 70s.

I understand that the Einar is being used for beach volleyball now and that it houses backup generators for the University. I don't know if more is planned for it. I used to work out there all the time when Campus Recreation ran it.

Diehard Ute
01-25-2017, 03:36 PM
I understand that the Einar is being used for beach volleyball now and that it houses backup generators for the University. I don't know if more is planned for it. I used to work out there all the time when Campus Recreation ran it.

It's a temporary winter home for beach volleyball....although it's only a practice venue as this season the U is only playing matches at other teams tourneys.

Not sure what the long term plans for beach volleyball are venue wise

Hayes6
01-25-2017, 04:27 PM

Sorry, man, but the Fenway Park of college basketball is the Palestra at UPenn. Actually, Fenway Park is the Palestra of baseball.

U-Ute
01-25-2017, 04:59 PM
It's a temporary winter home for beach volleyball....although it's only a practice venue as this season the U is only playing matches at other teams tourneys.

Not sure what the long term plans for beach volleyball are venue wise

My daughter says that the dance and biology schools are fighting for it.

I think they should wrestle for it myself, but she wouldn't take my opinion up to the proper powers.

concerned
01-25-2017, 05:02 PM
My daughter says that the dance and biology schools are fighting for it.

I think they should wrestle for it myself, but she wouldn't take my opinion up to the proper powers.

the beach volleyball team should get in on that.

sancho
01-26-2017, 10:59 AM
Oregon is a very deep team. 9 players average double digit minutes, and the 10th player gets 9 minutes per game.

5 players average double digits in ppg.

Bell and Boucher are each getting 7 rpg, and they both block a lot of shots too.

Brooks, Pritchard, and Ennis all get over 3 apg.

6 players hit 35% or better from outside, and Boucher is right behind at 33%.

snafu
01-26-2017, 11:33 AM
Oregon is a very deep team. 9 players average double digit minutes, and the 10th player gets 9 minutes per game.

5 players average double digits in ppg.

Bell and Boucher are each getting 7 rpg, and they both block a lot of shots too.

Brooks, Pritchard, and Ennis all get over 3 apg.

6 players hit 35% or better from outside, and Boucher is right behind at 33%.

Can we take care of the ball?

Our turnover count for the 3 games against UO last season…20, 14, 15

LA Ute
01-26-2017, 11:38 AM
KenPom is on Riley's show right now and points out that Utah is fourth nationally in 2 point shooting percentage, and have not had a game yet this year in which they have shot less than 50% from that range. Interesting.

#1 Utefan
01-26-2017, 12:53 PM
That would definitely make sense. More and better concessions and some kid friendly entertainment would be great additions.

By the way, I think the next line of The Second Coming, the Yeats poem you quote is "Lest there be a ten-yard penalty."

And most importantly, larger and updatef bathrooms. The bathrooms to me is what dates the Huntsman Center the most.

justaute
01-26-2017, 01:30 PM
KenPom is on Riley's show right now and points out that Utah is fourth nationally in 2 point shooting percentage, and have not had a game yet this year in which they have shot less than 50% from that range. Interesting.

With so many drives to the basket, not at all surprising. Oregon has one of the best paint-defenders, it will be interesting. Against Arizona, Collette was pretty much shut-down because of Ristic. Of course, not sure if Collette will play. Who knows about Dillon.

If we are able to hit from outside, I am hopeful we can loosen up the paint a bit. If I were Oregon, I would play zone/match-up-zone against Utah all day long; its guards are plenty athletic to guard ours. And, if our guards get through, Boucher can be there to either swat the ball or cause bad shots. We need to hit our outside shots and have good movements.

chrisrenrut
01-26-2017, 04:49 PM
The line has moved to Oregon by a point.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-26-2017, 05:30 PM
Dammit! Now we're going to lose!

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-26-2017, 07:42 PM

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-26-2017, 08:47 PM
Love the aggressiveness!

SeattleUte
01-26-2017, 09:11 PM
The line has moved to Oregon by a point.

Seems about right.

sancho
01-26-2017, 09:18 PM
Two fouls for the ducks so far. Are we the only team that doesn't get a bump at home?

SeattleUte
01-26-2017, 09:26 PM
Where's Zamora been?

justaute
01-26-2017, 09:31 PM
We are pretty much overwhelmed by Oregon's athleticism and size. Bonam/Daniels/Kuzma are completely neutralized. Kuzma does not how to use his physical talent against these guys.

sancho
01-26-2017, 09:38 PM
We are pretty much overwhelmed by Oregon's athleticism and size. Bonam/Daniels/Kuzma are completely neutralized. Kuzma does not how to use his physical talent against these guys.

Yeah, that late turnover looked a lot more like the bonam of December than the bonam of the past two weeks.

Diehard Ute
01-26-2017, 09:41 PM
Brooks is probably the least likeable player I've seen in the JMHC outside of the guys from Provo.

SeattleUte
01-26-2017, 09:42 PM
Brooks is probably the least likeable player I've seen in the JMHC outside of the guys from Provo.

Well, he owns us. He always annihilates us. So he's hard for us to like.

sancho
01-26-2017, 09:43 PM

Tremendous player. Almost as good as he thinks he is.

Mormon Red Death
01-26-2017, 09:44 PM
Where's Zamora been?
Pvd is playing well

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-26-2017, 09:48 PM
FLOP!

SeattleUte
01-26-2017, 09:48 PM
Pvd is playing well

Thx

Diehard Ute
01-26-2017, 09:50 PM
We're getting homered in our own building.

justaute
01-26-2017, 09:50 PM
Utah's interior defense is horrible. Just jump and swat instead of making half-hearted leans.

sancho
01-26-2017, 09:51 PM
All three calls against Collette have been questionable at best. But officials don't influence the outcome of games.

Diehard Ute
01-26-2017, 09:53 PM
Utah's interior defense is horrible. Just jump and swat instead of making half-hearted leans.

And guarantee you get called for a foul.

LA Ute
01-26-2017, 09:58 PM
Oregon has 13 points off our turnovers.

sancho
01-26-2017, 10:00 PM
Oregon has 13 points off our turnovers.

We're getting really sloppy here.

justaute
01-26-2017, 10:04 PM
The game is on its way to a 20-point loss. Not enough horses and brain cells against a team like Oregon.

LA Ute
01-26-2017, 10:05 PM
Looks like it's slipping away now. Rats.

justaute
01-26-2017, 10:13 PM
Utah players are soft.

sancho
01-26-2017, 10:18 PM
Haha, Brooks with the delayed fake flop. What a dirtbag.

Diehard Ute
01-26-2017, 10:23 PM
Haha, Brooks with the delayed fake flop. What a dirtbag.

That should be some sort of T. It was awful.

sancho
01-26-2017, 10:25 PM
Amazing what a difference it makes to have Collette in the game. Too bad he had to sit out the third quarter for no reason.

justaute
01-26-2017, 10:28 PM
Amazing what a difference it makes to have Collette in the game. Too bad he had to sit out the third quarter for no reason.

Yup...he creates double-team opportunities all the time. It just opens up the floor so much more. Otherwise, our guards have a harder time.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-26-2017, 10:30 PM
https://vimeo.com/201237863

I was hoping I could post the Brooks flop straight from my phone, but guess not.

LA Ute
01-26-2017, 10:31 PM
So was it our own fault we had all the turnovers, or is it Oregon's quickness that got to us?

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-26-2017, 10:32 PM
Apparently dunking makes a difference.

sancho
01-26-2017, 10:33 PM
So was it our own fault we had all the turnovers, or is it Oregon's quickness that got to us?

Yes.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-26-2017, 10:33 PM
I got to "Dammit Ku..." before it went in.

LA Ute
01-26-2017, 10:35 PM
That offensive foul on Bonam was a classic no-call. Refs really influencing this game.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-26-2017, 10:38 PM
That offensive foul on Bonam was a classic no-call. Refs really influencing this game.

Third this game, I think. All against Utah, of course.

LA Ute
01-26-2017, 10:40 PM
Sure looked like Kuz was hammered there.

sancho
01-26-2017, 10:41 PM
The Collette miss, the charge against bonam, and the kuzma no call. Can't get a break down the stretch here.

Dwight Schr-Ute
Sure looked like Kuz was hammered there.

Make up no call.

justaute
Had a couple of chances to pull even/close....sigh.

LA Ute
01-26-2017, 10:42 PM
The Collette miss, the charge against bonam, and the kuzma no call. Can't get a break down the stretch here.

Nope.

LA Ute
01-26-2017, 10:43 PM
I admire Brooks's awesome ability but he is an easy player to dislike.

sancho
01-26-2017, 10:47 PM
I admire Brooks's awesome ability but he is an easy player to dislike.

I just want everyone to remember that I hated Brooks before it was cool.

Really though, it is easy to dislike horrible people, even if they're good at basketball.

sancho
01-26-2017, 11:05 PM
We really need to land one of the pf's we're after. It just hurts us too much to have Rawson in the game.

chrisrenrut
01-26-2017, 11:10 PM
https://vimeo.com/201237863

I was hoping I could post the Brooks flop straight from my phone, but guess not.

i can't stop watching that and laughing.

concerned
01-26-2017, 11:10 PM
We really need to land one of the pf's we're after. It just hurts us too much to have Rawson in the game.

Jace johnson wasn't much better, if at all. Soft, slow, and plays well below his height. Doesn't know what to do with the ball when he gets it. Needs to get a lot stronger and heavier.

Our offense was totally befuddled, esp. In the first hslf. No idea how to attack their zone.

sancho
01-26-2017, 11:17 PM
Jace johnson wasn't much better, if at all. Soft, slow, and plays well below his height. Doesn't know what to do with the ball when he gets it. Needs to get a lot stronger and heavier.

I agree that jayce has issues, but at least he's tall and plays with energy. He blocked a shot and altered a shot tonight. Rawson is just instant easy offense/glass for the bad guys.

If we had one more jayce and one fewer Rawson, we'd be better.

LA Ute
01-26-2017, 11:20 PM
Josh Grant said if we kept TOs under 10 we'd win. He was pretty much right.

concerned
01-26-2017, 11:36 PM
I agree that jayce has issues, but at least he's tall and plays with energy. He blocked a shot and altered a shot tonight. Rawson is just instant easy offense/glass for the bad guys.

If we had one more jayce and one fewer Rawson, we'd be better.

SoCal pat tweeted out that we lost this game when we traded Reyes for Rawson.

LA Ute
01-26-2017, 11:44 PM

That is an interesting idea. What can Reyes do that Rawson cannot? Rebound, I guess.

SeattleUte
01-26-2017, 11:45 PM
It's like football. Oregon has better players. It's not a criticism; just a bloodless statement of fact. Maybe our best 3-4 players can compete with them, but beyond that there are some ridiculous matchups.

But look at Daniels. Even playing against these thoroughbreds he has a pretty line. He's going to be a special player.

sancho
01-26-2017, 11:46 PM

I think he's right.

Story of the game is Collette's foul situation. Close game when he went out on a terrible flop, immediately ballooned to a double digit deficit. Utah was able to mount a comeback as soon as he came back in.

sancho
01-26-2017, 11:48 PM
That is an interesting idea. What can Reyes do that Rawson cannot? Rebound, I guess.

Rebound and defend, which should be prereqs for a backup 4.

SeattleUte
01-26-2017, 11:50 PM

Honestly, I think Jayce Johnson will be an important player in a couple of years. He's a lot better right now than that big kid out of Michigan Boylen recruited that was very effective his senior year after Kodiak taught him. Johnson has some raw basketball ability, and he's really tall and carries it well. But it is kind of silly that LA Ute and some others wanted him to start playing mid season last year. He's like a number of other big guys we've had who got good but had a long ways to go as freshmen.

Old Standing ute
01-26-2017, 11:50 PM
Utes are also better with Barefield in the game. he feeds the post & keeps the ball moving.

Might be a reason that Rawson & JoJo were JC players---both are really limited.

Rawson is just not strong enough & not enough of a jumper.
really bad combination tonight with he & Kuzma together & no barefield.

SeattleUte
01-26-2017, 11:53 PM
I think he's right.

Story of the game is Collette's foul situation. Close game when he went out on a terrible flop, immediately ballooned to a double digit deficit. Utah was able to mount a comeback as soon as he came back in.

The 9-0 run at about, what, 15 minutes, that put them up 7 after we were up 2 was a killer. That was the ballgame. But the centerpiece of that was that steal on the double team and the three point layup.

LA Ute
01-27-2017, 06:16 AM
[QUOTE=SeattleUte;93609But it is kind of silly that LA Ute and some others wanted him to start playing mid season last year.[/QUOTE]

Did it look like this?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170127/2a3ec5aa77be36b9f99bb364e16a8e7d.jpg

I think you should try posting in the mornings after a couple of cups of coffee. The late- night stuff just makes us all worry about you.

sancho
01-27-2017, 07:24 AM
Day after, box score thoughts.

Only 25 minutes for Collette. Story of the game.

5 offensive boards from Kuzma were huge for us. He put most of them back in - if only he had gone stronger with the last one.

In 8 minutes, Rawson had 0 statistics other than a turnover and a personal foul.

Seeing Barefield 1-4 from deep reminded me of the contested three he launched with time still on the shot clock. Same as a turnover.

Daniels and Bonam led in turnovers. I think they were intimidated by Oregon's long, athletic defense. Instead of trying to finish, they tried to dish and turned it over. Of course, one of those turnovers actually went off Brooks.

DrumNFeather
01-27-2017, 08:06 AM
I think he's right.

I'm not totally sure I buy this. One of the major problems we had inside last night was overall softness. I don't think Reyes solves that. Larry needs to drill it into these guys' heads that they need to take it up strong, not just lay it in. If you take it up like we did against Oregon, you are going to get exactly what happened. In the box score, they only got credited with 6 blocks...sure feels like they had a lot more than that. I really wanted Rawson to be one of those classic Utah garbage man type players...but I just don't think he's a Pac 12 talent.

The one thing I respect about Oregon is that they play with a killer instinct all the time. They are constantly looking to finish you. I think right now we've got one guy on our team that plays that way: Daniels. I think Barefield, Bonham, and Collette all have that in them, but they aren't consistent in how they do it.

Time to take it out our fury on the fighting Tinkles...

Rocker Ute
01-27-2017, 08:15 AM
Top 10 teams have a way of making you look like you are struggling. No moral victory here but at the start of the year I would have predicted that we'd get smoked (and frankly we would have).

We've got a good team. We might slip in through the conference tourney. Next year might be special.

DrumNFeather
01-27-2017, 08:26 AM
Top 10 teams have a way of making you look like you are struggling. No moral victory here but at the start of the year I would have predicted that we'd get smoked (and frankly we would have).

We've got a good team. We might slip in through the conference tourney. Next year might be special.

Agree. I think that as long as we continue to win the games we are supposed to, we've got a shot...or we at least give the committee something to think about.

Scorcho
Oregon is the most talented team in the conference. They are ridiculously long and athletic and Altman makes them play defense. I noticed if a player failed to block out or lost his man, Altman immediately substituted them out. Such a contrast to the Huskies. I could see them making a final 4 run.

Two lulls, one to end the first half and then one about 5 mins into the second half killed Utah's chances. Both had Kooz and Collete on the bench.

DrumNFeather
RPI at 60...so very little damage off of that loss. Time to get back to winning.

concerned
01-27-2017, 08:34 AM
Oregon is the most talented team in the conference. They are ridiculously long and athletic and Altman makes them play defense. I noticed if a player failed to block out or lost his man, Altman immediately substituted them out. Such a contrast to the Huskies. I could see them making a final 4 run.

On the pregame, they said that Oregon leads the country in blocked shots--entering the game, they had about 163 and we had 70 on the season. You can certainly see why. They blocked a lot of attempts at the rim. Not that tall, but quick and jump like crazy.

Scorcho
01-27-2017, 08:54 AM
On the pregame, they said that Oregon leads the country in blocked shots--entering the game, they had about 163 and we had 70 on the season. You can certainly see why. They blocked a lot of attempts at the rim. Not that tall, but quick and jump like crazy.

Ageed. That environment last night was incredible, the student section was full 45 mins before tip and they were loud all night. Credit to Oregon to withstand that, other than in Tucson, they won't face a larger/louder crowd.

sancho
01-27-2017, 08:59 AM
I'm not totally sure I buy this. One of the major problems we had inside last night was overall softness. I don't think Reyes solves that.

Funny, you noticed the softness on the offensive end, and I was thinking about the softness from a defense/rebounding perspective. Reyes is a clear upgrade over Rawson. I'm sure Thrill's PER would validate that. Maybe enough of an upgrade to make a difference in a close game. Maybe not.

DrumNFeather
01-27-2017, 09:02 AM
Funny, you noticed the softness on the offensive end, and I was thinking about the softness from a defense/rebounding perspective. Reyes is a clear upgrade over Rawson. I'm sure Thrill's PER would validate that. Maybe enough of an upgrade to make a difference in a close game. Maybe not.

Maybe I'm just traumatized by the flashbacks of all those missed layups, when I should focus more on the fact that he was able to pull down some boards in the first place.

concerned
01-27-2017, 09:10 AM
Ageed. That environment last night was incredible, the student section was full 45 mins before tip and they were loud all night. Credit to Oregon to withstand that, other than in Tucson, they won't face a larger/louder crowd.

oregon doesnt go to Tucson this year. Good break for them.

SoCalPat
01-27-2017, 09:21 AM
Brekott>>>Reyes>>>>>>>>Rawson. Larry has never been able to get the 4 we need that true championship contending teams have. The best 4 we've had was Loveridge, who was really a 3, with the first two guys I mentioned being brought in specifically so we could move Jordan to the 3, which was his best position.

The officiating was god-awful atrocious last night. If we all had our way on how flopping should be called (a technical foul), there were at least three last night that would've qualified.

More on officiating. Utah only got called for one more foul than Oregon. But the Ducks went to the line for 21 attempts to our 13. This has been a recurring pattern in league games -- we're just not getting to the line a lot. And speaking of getting to the line, Kuzma's effort was beyond weak on his last shot -- brought the ball back past his shoulder instead of going up strong. He was more worried about getting rejected. But credit Oregon's length for putting that fear into Kyle.

4 rebounds in 12 minutes is a decent pace, but it seemed like Jayce could've had a lot more rebounds. Missing all 3 of our shot attempts inside of 5 feet ain't good either. He absolutely has to be better next year, because right now I don't trust us to maintain, build or cut into leads with Colette out. Someone tweeted his +/- was -11 at halftime of last night's game -- I suspect that's a number that only got worse in the second half.

The committee will deny this is the case, but I suspect it's either us or Cal for the league's fifth bid. Hard to imagine both teams getting in -- this is not a six-bid league this year, as the bottom of the league is a real drag on everyone. I've maintained that 13 league wins in any combination of regular season and Vegas gets us in, but that was conditional upon getting more than one Top 50 win. We very well might need 14 league wins to get an at-large.

Solon
01-27-2017, 09:24 AM
oregon doesnt go to Tucson this year. Good break for them.

I'm with SU on this one - Oregon was just a better team. No shame in that. Had the Utes somehow pulled out a win at the end, I would have considered it more of a lucky break than anything.
There is shame, though, in Oregon's flopping. No need for that crap.

Diehard Ute
01-27-2017, 09:38 AM
Several Oregon fans have tweeted out today that Brooks was "just protecting his foot" and didn't flop. Had me laughing.

My favorite though was a response to Good Morning America's tweet of his flop "that's why Oregon fans love Brooks, he always plays hard".

They have a good team, a team I don't like, but they're talented.

DrumNFeather
01-27-2017, 09:43 AM
Several Oregon fans have tweeted out today that Brooks was "just protecting his foot" and didn't flop. Had me laughing.

My favorite though was a response to Good Morning America's tweet of his flop "that's why Oregon fans love Brooks, he always plays hard".

I made sure I tweeted it to ESPN's PTI for their annual Turkeys of the Year segment around Thanksgiving. Hope it makes it.

concerned
01-27-2017, 09:47 AM
I made sure I tweeted it to ESPN's PTI for their annual Turkeys of the Year segment around Thanksgiving. Hope it makes it.\

they showed it on the Today show this morning. It made the big time. Its funny, but they got away with a flop on Collette's 3rd foul. That one wasn't funny.

Scorcho
01-27-2017, 09:48 AM

i dislike Brooks, he seems like an arrogant punk. But I have no problem with Altman or anyone else on the Ducks.

NorthwestUteFan
01-27-2017, 09:55 AM
\

they showed it on the Today show this morning. It made the big time. Its funny, but they got away with a flop on Collette's 3rd foul. That one wasn't funny.
Same with Bonam's offensive foul. Total flop.

UtahsMrSports
01-27-2017, 10:02 AM
Brekott>>>Reyes>>>>>>>>Rawson.

Last year in 3 games versus oregon, Reyes produced 1.3 ppg (on 33% shooting), 1 rpg, 0 apg, 0.3 spg, 0 bpg and 0.7 tpg in 11 minutes per contest (much of that in garbage time)

I know that Rawson struggles, but Reyes was not much better....

DrumNFeather
01-27-2017, 10:12 AM
Same with Bonam's offensive foul. Total flop.

i dislike Brooks, he seems like an arrogant punk. But I have no problem with Altman or anyone else on the Ducks.

I'm amazed that they get the calls they do given how aggressively they play on both sides of the ball. They did not get called for one charge last night to my recollection, and on all those blocks, there was quite a bit of body contact, not to mention the charges they took.

Diehard Ute
01-27-2017, 10:14 AM
I'm amazed that they get the calls they do given how aggressively they play on both sides of the ball. They did not get called for one charge last night to my recollection, and on all those blocks, there was quite a bit of body contact, not to mention the charges they took.

There's a long history of that in college ball.

Look at the teams who run high pressure defense. They're constantly hacking at the ball but rarely seem to be in foul trouble.

sancho
01-27-2017, 10:16 AM

There was a play in the first half where somebody (can't remember) drove right at Barefield. Barefield backed up while keeping position. With the way charges are called, it was an absolute charge. Barefield's crime? He didn't fall backward like a wuss. No way he gets that call without falling back. He was called for a block, of course, because a no-call in those situations not an option for some reason.

sancho
01-27-2017, 10:17 AM
There's a long history of that in college ball.

Look at the teams who run high pressure defense. They're constantly hacking at the ball but rarely seem to be in foul trouble.

Yup, the good teams establish reputations, and they can get away with more due to those reputations. If someone other than West Va tried to do what West Va does, they'd have all guards in foul trouble in the first half.

sancho
01-27-2017, 10:20 AM
Last year in 3 games versus oregon, Reyes produced 1.3 ppg (on 33% shooting), 1 rpg, 0 apg, 0.3 spg, 0 bpg and 0.7 tpg in 11 minutes per contest (much of that in garbage time)

I know that Rawson struggles, but Reyes was not much better....

Touche.

Reyes never did post good numbers, but I didn't fear for the defense every time he came in.

Rick Majerus always said that anyone can learn defense and rebounding. I hope that is true for Rawson. He apparently can shoot. If he can improve in those areas, he can be very valuable to us. I know he wants to be a Ute. I'm happy to have him. I just wish we had someone else to use until he figures some stuff out.

concerned
01-27-2017, 10:27 AM
Touche.

Reyes never did post good numbers, but I didn't fear for the defense every time he came in.

Rick Majerus always said that anyone can learn defense and rebounding. I hope that is true for Rawson. He apparently can shoot. If he can improve in those areas, he can be very valuable to us. I know he wants to be a Ute. I'm happy to have him. I just wish we had someone else to use until he figures some stuff out.

Johnson is young and has time to get stronger and better. Rawson is a junior. By the time he figures it out he will be gone and not have been useful, probably.

U-Ute
01-27-2017, 10:29 AM
i can't stop watching that and laughing.

Raise your hand if you knew Barfield was a Sith Lord.

If you are a Sith Lord, raise mine.

sancho
01-27-2017, 10:30 AM
Johnson is young and has time to get stronger and better. Rawson is a junior. By the time he figures it out he will be gone and not have been useful, probably.

You are probably right. I will be happy if either Seeley or a new recruit (Tillman/Sueing) can take the backup 4 role next season with Rawson either on the bench or getting minutes because he's figured it out.

U-Ute
01-27-2017, 10:32 AM
The good news is he is being unmercifully mocked in the national press this morning.

A little schadenfreude helps those wounds after a loss.

chrisrenrut
01-27-2017, 10:37 AM
Raise your hand if you knew Barfield was a Sith Lord.

If you are a Sith Lord, raise mine.

This was a funny riff on the flop:

Mormon Red Death
01-27-2017, 10:37 AM
Stop with Reyes desire... do you all not remember how Reyes couldn't make a layup?

chrisrenrut
01-27-2017, 10:39 AM
Stop with Reyes desire... do you all not remember how Reyes couldn't make a layup?

Yeah, the ally-oop airball Oregon had last night made me think of Reyes for that very reason.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-27-2017, 10:49 AM
\

As well as another flop after the Brooks ridiculousness that we got called for.

chrisrenrut
01-27-2017, 01:55 PM
The good news is he is being unmercifully mocked in the national press this morning.

A little schadenfreude helps those wounds after a loss.

I can't get enough of this. A good distraction from the loss. Here are some of the better reactions I have seen on Twitter:

"That has more to do with interpretive dance than basketball"

"Did Grayson Allen become invisible?"

"alternative contact"

Lots of comparisons to soccer and WWE (or whatever that kind of wrestling is called now)

"That might get the Bill Lambier lifetime acheivment award"

"Dillon Brook's punishment should be apologizing to James Naismith's grave"

The Thrill
01-27-2017, 09:10 PM
Did anybody else notice the score at 41-41 bump to 42-41 after Oregon committed a foul on the Utes?
Go back and watch. I can only assume that there was a scoring error that was fixed but the conspiracy theorist in me wants to blame the Libyans.

If somebody could explain that change, my deep anger and be settled. Thank you.

Diehard Ute
01-27-2017, 10:51 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170128/b10ea40da576201321b104d69fc92f05.jpg

That should answer it. 42-41 occurred when Oregon made a FT

LA Ute
01-27-2017, 11:47 PM
Dillon Brooks commits comically bad flop against Utah

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/univ-oregon/2017/01/27/dillon-brooks-worst-flop/97123948/

chrisrenrut
01-28-2017, 08:44 PM
Colorado fans are chanting "flopper, flopper" while Dillon Books is shooting free throws.

LA Ute
01-28-2017, 10:18 PM
Colorado fans are chanting "flopper, flopper" while Dillon Books is shooting free throws.

It's one thing to be the really great player who's cocky and arrogant enough to make the opposing fans hate him. It's quite another to become known as a silly jackass. Congrats, Dillon!

Ma'ake
01-29-2017, 12:21 PM
I didn't watch the Buffs knock off the Ducks...

...but it sounds like the sleeping giant that is CU's talent may have awoken.