PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Basketball Recruiting Thread

Pages : [1] 2

U-Ute
01-24-2017, 08:22 AM
I guess we don't have one of these yet.

A name you may recognize: Cam Krystkoviak.

FountainOfUte
01-24-2017, 01:08 PM
Maybe this is where the Coach Tinkle/Tres Tinkle karma swings back in our direction? I would guess that if he's a high-major talent that he's ours to lose. If he's a mid-major talent, he's Montana's to lose. I have zero basis of fact for that opinion, but let's just start from there and see what happens. Haha.

LA Ute
03-21-2017, 08:23 AM
This is what Krysko has to deal with as he tries to recruit non-turds, while keeping the program clean:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp4mIONS51E&feature=youtu.be

(Yes, I know Geno Auriemma is a women's coach, but the principle is the same.)

UTEopia
03-21-2017, 09:37 AM
This is what Krysko has to deal with as he tries to recruit non-turds, while keeping the program clean:

https://youtu.be/tp4mIONS51E

(Yes, I know Geno Auriemma is a women's coach, but the principle is the same.)

He could be a Jr. Jazz coach for all I care. That is the message a coach needs to send to players.

UtahsMrSports
04-06-2017, 07:56 AM
According to the Twitter world, Larry has an in home visit with 2018 forward Warren Washington from California. He is a bruiser at 6'9 and 190 (not a typo, just sarcasm). Has offers from sdsu, cal, and Boise. Not sure if those are offers or Offers but we will see.

UTEopia
04-06-2017, 08:57 AM
According to the Twitter world, Larry has an in home visit with 2018 forward Warren Washington from California. He is a bruiser at 6'9 and 190 (not a typo, just sarcasm). Has offers from sdsu, cal, and Boise. Not sure if those are offers or Offers but we will see.

It's interesting how the time tables differ for football and basketball. I'm pretty sure that coaches can have no in-person contact with a prospect out side of unofficial visits to the campus and visits to the high school until after the prospects senior season begins.

UtahsMrSports
04-07-2017, 11:01 AM
Utebuntu tweeted out a picture of Larry and Warren this morning. To me, he is the type of guy I want on this team. He isn't the kind of recruit that the bigger schools are poaching and hes the kind of guy who will be here all four years and by the last couple years could be a really nice player (insert your favorite tired, worn out transfer joke here).

UtahsMrSports
04-07-2017, 11:12 AM
Hes got an interesting highlight video. I have never claimed to be a master evaluator, but the competition here seems subpar. Id be interested to see him (And I cant believe im going to say this......) in an AAU setting. He does show good passing ability, as well as some solid handles and post moves, but i would like to see it against better competition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mzMjZ-ZDYE

FountainOfUte
04-07-2017, 03:24 PM
Utebuntu tweeted out a picture of Larry and Warren this morning. To me, he is the type of guy I want on this team. He isn't the kind of recruit that the bigger schools are poaching and hes the kind of guy who will be here all four years and by the last couple years could be a really nice player (insert your favorite tired, worn out transfer joke here).

Yes, exactly. If we had a team full of Tuckers, Loveridges, and Bachinskys, I think we could do some good things. All you need is the occasional Delon, and (to quote Austin Collie), "the magic happens."

justaute
04-07-2017, 05:47 PM
Hes got an interesting highlight video. I have never claimed to be a master evaluator, but the competition here seems subpar. Id be interested to see him (And I cant believe im going to say this......) in an AAU setting. He does show good passing ability, as well as some solid handles and post moves, but i would like to see it against better competition.

He seems decent. Not much lift and not the most fluid athlete.

LA Ute
04-07-2017, 05:52 PM
He seems decent. Not much lift and not the most fluid athlete.

He'll fit right in with most of our guys!

Old Standing ute
04-08-2017, 03:58 PM
there is an AAU highlight on Utube---he has decent range.

3*--which is type of player that Utah can recruit & develop.

Ma'ake
04-08-2017, 07:38 PM

Just going by the eyeball test, he's definitely got length, and he appears to be physically immature, which is what you'd normally expect from a high school kid who is 6-10 and not getting Valentine's Day cards from Calipari.

You're right, it's difficult to gage what he brings based on the competition on the video, but watching Poeltl dismantle the freshman Chimezie Metu last year, I'll take upside, some maturation time and hard work from a kid with that kind of undeveloped potential. This kid reminds me of Metu, from 2015-2016. (I wonder what Metu's HS video looked like.)

justaute
04-24-2017, 09:57 PM
New offer. Brock Cunningham, a 6'7" 3/4 player. Not physical at this stage, but seems to be skilled. Has offers from OU, Ok State, Missouri, among others.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/10558

justaute
06-21-2017, 10:49 AM
We lost Erik Stevenson, a 2* SG, to Wichita State.

concerned
06-21-2017, 11:02 AM
according to Ubuntu, he committed to WSU immediately after leaving our camp. Ubuntu prayed to the basketball gods on twitter, asking what we have done to offend them and how we can repent.

snafu
06-21-2017, 11:10 AM
I didn't realize he was a 2 star kid. I think SoCalPat must be chasing them off.

Rocker Ute
06-21-2017, 11:11 AM
according to Ubuntu, he committed to WSU immediately after leaving our camp. Ubuntu prayed to the basketball gods on twitter, asking what we have done to offend them and how we can repent.

This all started happening when we restored Utefans.net. I blame LA Ute.

FountainOfUte
06-21-2017, 11:44 AM
It's amazing to see the weird swing of momentum this coaching staff has had. It started rough (as we expected it would) but by the time LK had a Sweet 16 with D. Wright and hauled in an impressive third recruiting class of Chapman, Kuzma, I. Wright, and Poeltl it seemed like we were on our way to the Promised Land. And then, almost like the swing of a pendulum, it feels like little has gone right since then.

Oddly, it seems like about the time that the new practice facility was completed (that we all expected to be our recruiting ace up the sleeve) momentum has totally stalled. I hate to be one of those Chicken Little fans, because there's a lot to still be stoked about. But I'll admit, the "easy sledding" I was expecting as a new P5 with a deep history, a good coach, and passionate fanbase hasn't been so easy.

I'm hoping these are just a couple bumpy years we'll look back on and laugh about, not the beginning of another Ute hoops wasteland that we endured before LK.

chrisrenrut
06-21-2017, 12:59 PM
This all started happening when we restored Utefans.net. I blame LA Ute.

Hooplor. . . Orange Crush. . . Hip thrusting. . . MPFunk

justaute
06-21-2017, 03:38 PM
Outsider vantage point: Given Utah's recent annual player-turnover exercise, I'm wondering if the coaches have lost some credibility in the recruiting circle.

Before anyone reacts to my above-comment, not saying we are better or worse than our competition regarding player-turnover, nor am I implying the recent recruits aren't good. Just speculating. Even LK has stated that he, and the coaching staff I assume, needs to do a much better job. In the end, I don't pay much attention to drama. I usually try to let the on-the-court outcome/result dictate my reaction.

Vis-a-vis LK's remuneration, other P12 BB programs, and other similar profiled basketball programs, if LK can't sustain some level of success, then he should eventually go. Although I try not to over-value Utah's basketball prowess or history, I think we should maintain certain level of consistency regarding our competitiveness. We are ok for now. Let's see how it plays out.

UTEopia
06-21-2017, 07:39 PM

Is it at all possible that he left the camp without a commitable offer?

concerned
06-21-2017, 07:41 PM
Is it at all possible that he left the camp without a commitable offer?

maybe, that would make sense. but utebuntu posted that we really wanted him.

Utebuntu‏ @Utebuntu (https://twitter.com/Utebuntu) Jun 20 (https://twitter.com/Utebuntu/status/877291013278056448)More

Utebuntu Retweeted Stevie
Utah recruited Erik hard. Someone they really liked in 2018. Commits to Wichita state the day after leaving Utah's Elite Camp. Ouch.
Stevie @ej_st

UtahsMrSports
08-07-2017, 04:05 PM
We made the top 6 for F/C Riley Battin. In what might be the most unique top 6 we have ever made, we are in there with Davidson, Clemson, Ohio State, Vanderbilt and Colorado. He has visited unofficially and will come here on an official visit in September. Our coaches have been on him for a long time. I dont have any idea what our chances are, but our fan base came out loud and proud on his tweet and he seemed to like that. I think he would be great in our system.

We also made the top 5 for Timmy Allen, along with UCLA, SDSU, Iowa St, and Texas Tech. He is a four star, fringe top 100 prospect. His 247 crystal ball is 50/50 UCLA/ASU but both predictions are more than a year old so.........essentially meaningless.

http://247sports.com/Player/Timmy-Allen-91650
http://247sports.com/Player/Riley-Battin-89255

justaute
08-07-2017, 04:07 PM
We are frequently on the list, just not usually the final choice. :)

UtahsMrSports
08-07-2017, 04:13 PM
We are frequently on the list, just not usually the final choice. :)

Here is to change in 2018! Perhaps out of necessity more than anything, we HAVE to start closing the deal in this class. We will have 5-6 openings (and that is before the annual and inevitable transfer or two). Need to really nail it this year. I think we will.

UtahsMrSports
08-17-2017, 12:34 PM
Battin trimmed his list to four and we made the cut! He will be visiting Sep 15 with his final visit being Vanderbilt in October.

LA Ute
08-17-2017, 01:02 PM
Battin trimmed his list to four and we made the cut! He will be visiting Sep 15 with his final visit being Vanderbilt in October.

So we are at least a potential bridesmaid! Good! We know that role very well!

U-Ute
08-17-2017, 02:33 PM
So we are at least a potential bridesmaid! Good! We know that role very well!

rvDUW9m8Dxeus

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-31-2017, 08:52 PM
New commit.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865687943/Utah-basketball-program-receives-commitment-from-JUCO-guard-Charles-Jones-II.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

justaute
08-31-2017, 09:06 PM
Here is a video of him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tApT9HqqhCM

New commit.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865687943/Utah-basketball-program-receives-commitment-from-JUCO-guard-Charles-Jones-II.html

UtahsMrSports
09-13-2017, 04:09 PM
New commit: Naseem Gaskin. Chose the Utes over Montana, Pepperdine, Pacific, and Boise State.

DrumNFeather
09-13-2017, 04:25 PM
New commit: Naseem Gaskin. Chose the Utes over Montana, Pepperdine, Pacific, and Boise State.

He must have seen our performance against them in the NIT and said: "I should be able to get some minutes there."

justaute
09-13-2017, 05:51 PM
Exactly. Have no idea how these news players/commits will turn-out...hopeful very well. That said, men's basketball team is about the only Utes program that can't seem to get much traction in recruiting. We welcome all 2* and JC transfers. UofA and UCA -- I think just two players from either of those programs would have more stars than all of our starters combined -- ok, a bit of hyperbole here, but not by much. :)

He must have seen our performance against them in the NIT and said: "I should be able to get some minutes there."

UtahsMrSports
09-13-2017, 06:25 PM
If the staff is accepting a commitment from him in the fall signing period, they think they've got something no one else can see. He's clearly athletic and committed to defense. This could be a glue guy or a really nice role player.

UtahsMrSports
09-14-2017, 08:46 AM
Per our good buddy espn700 bill, Riley Battin and Timmy Allen will be visiting this week. Would love to land both.

http://247sports.com/Player/Riley-Battin-89255

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-14-2017, 10:16 AM

The Utah men's basketball team has announced that Devante Doutrive has joined the Runnin' Ute program. He plans to redshirt for the 2017-18 year and then intends to play for the Utes in 2018-19.

Doutrive is a 6-5, 190-pound shooting guard out of Woodland Hills, Calif. He played his prep basketball at Birmingham High School, out of Lake Balboa, Calif., where he averaged 22.3 points and 8.7 rebounds per game and helped lead his high school squad to a state championship title this past season.

"We are very excited to welcome Davante to our basketball program," said head coach Larry Krystkowiak (http://utahutes.com/coaches.aspx?rc=914). "He is very athletic and has a great knack for putting points on the board. He is also a tremendous passer and will fit into our system, quite well. He will be a great addition to the team and we look forward to working with him when fall workouts begin."

A two-time all-conference selection, Doutrive also managed to record 5.6 assists and 2.7 steals per game during his senior campaign and then went on to earn John R. Wooden/High School Player of the Year accolades in the CIF Los Angeles City Section. As a junior, Doutrive averaged 23.6 points, 9.3 rebounds 2.7 assists and 1.7 steals per game.

Doutrive, who played AAU basketball for Pro Skills Sports Academy and Laurian Watkins, has been ranked a four-star recruit by ESPN.

The Utes open the 2017-18 season with its annual Night with the Runnin' Utes, Tuesday, Oct. 17, at the Huntsman Center. Utah will play an exhibition contest hosting Montana Tech on Wednesday, Nov. 1, before opening the regular-season at home against Prairie View A&M on Friday, Nov. 10.

http://utahutes.com/news/2017/9/14/mens-basketball-devante-doutrive-added-to-runnin-ute-roster.aspx?path=mbball

UtahsMrSports
09-14-2017, 10:31 AM

http://utahutes.com/news/2017/9/14/mens-basketball-devante-doutrive-added-to-runnin-ute-roster.aspx?path=mbball

This is HUGE!!!!!!!

2017 class now includes 3 4*, 2 3* and 2 top-100.

concerned
09-14-2017, 10:43 AM
I was totally prepared for this coming season to completely suck but maybe it wont. An AAU coach told my brother that the transfer from Long Beach State is really talented and is going to really improve that position. He expects the team to be pretty good.

A former player has been going to practice and told my partner that he thinks the teams looks good too. He said the chemistry is much, much better than last year and that we outsiders don't really know how bad it was last year. The team is having fun and like each other. Larry seems to be enjoying himself too.

FWIW.

sancho
09-14-2017, 12:00 PM
I was totally prepared for this coming season to completely suck but maybe it wont. An AAU coach told my brother that the transfer from Long Beach State is really talented and is going to really improve that position. He expects the team to be pretty good.

So can he play this year or not? I thought he was redshirting? What's an academic redshirt?

justaute
09-14-2017, 12:04 PM
Yuuuuge news. We beat-out Oregon and Gonzaga. A rare feat.

concerned
09-14-2017, 12:07 PM
So can he play this year or not? I thought he was redshirting? What's an academic redshirt?

If he is academically eligible, he could play next semester apparently, but the plan appears to be to redshirt him the entire year. He can practice now.

sancho
09-15-2017, 09:33 AM
Yuuuuge news. We beat-out Oregon and Gonzaga. A rare feat.

Hate to be the wet blanket, but we don't really know how hard Oregon/Gonzaga were going after him, right? This kinda came out of the blue - it's not like we were all following this kid and hoping he'd pick Utah.

I saw a tweet the other day about someone who chose some other school over Utah, and the Utah twitter people had never heard of the kid.

SoCalPat
09-15-2017, 10:33 AM
Hate to be the wet blanket, but we don't really know how hard Oregon/Gonzaga were going after him, right? This kinda came out of the blue - it's not like we were all following this kid and hoping he'd pick Utah.

I saw a tweet the other day about someone who chose some other school over Utah, and the Utah twitter people had never heard of the kid.

A kid of this caliber doesn't go unsigned unless there are/were serious issues about his eligibility. That he could be eligible to play in January, but isn't/can't, adds to the mystery. No matter -- this is a very very good pickup at any juncture, simply outstanding this late in the game.

He was planning to take an official visit to Gonzaga in August. We do know that. That's all I need to know about how serious the Zags were on him.

SoCalPat
09-15-2017, 10:35 AM
If he is academically eligible, he could play next semester apparently, but the plan appears to be to redshirt him the entire year. He can practice now.

This is the mystery. If he's not fully qualified coming out of HS, he has two options -- go to a prep school for a fifth year and become eligible, or go JUCO and get his associates, and likely be a 3 to play 2. That he could be eligible after the fall semester is an in-between I've never heard of.

UtahsMrSports
09-15-2017, 10:55 AM
This is the mystery. If he's not fully qualified coming out of HS, he has two options -- go to a prep school for a fifth year and become eligible, or go JUCO and get his associates, and likely be a 3 to play 2. That he could be eligible after the fall semester is an in-between I've never heard of.

Josh Gershon was on with Bill yesterday and had a little insight (Im still confused personally........) but I guess he was able to get a waiver and has to make up 9 credits during this fall semester (maybe with second session classes?).

This feels to me like the staff has found a Prop 48 work around..........

sancho
09-15-2017, 11:02 AM
He was planning to take an official visit to Gonzaga in August. We do know that. That's all I need to know about how serious the Zags were on him.

I should have read more before being a wet blanket. Good news.

Diehard Ute
09-15-2017, 12:51 PM

I heard it explained in an easier to understand way. His situation is similar to Kuzma's, but he can practice and be eligible sooner.

Hot Lunch
09-15-2017, 03:14 PM
I heard it explained in an easier to understand way. His situation is similar to Kuzma's, but he can practice and be eligible sooner.

He can be eligible sooner but the decision is already made that he will redshirt this year?

Diehard Ute
09-15-2017, 03:37 PM
He can be eligible sooner but the decision is already made that he will redshirt this year?

Depends on who you listen to.

Some have said he will redshirt. Others have said they will evaluate that later.

The earliest he could be eligible would be mid December.

sancho
09-15-2017, 03:44 PM
Depends on who you listen to.

Some have said he will redshirt. Others have said they will evaluate that later.

The earliest he could be eligible would be mid December.

So, we will know by mid-December how ready he is. If he's really good, they will want him out there ASAP.

UtahsMrSports
09-15-2017, 04:20 PM

Per the release by the athletic department, he will redshirt this whole year. I guess time will tell but just like with Jayce Johnson, I doubt they will throw away a year of eligibility needlessly on half a year.

SoCalPat
09-15-2017, 11:33 PM
Per the release by the athletic department, he will redshirt this whole year. I guess time will tell but just like with Jayce Johnson, I doubt they will throw away a year of eligibility needlessly on half a year.

There is a term I learned today that's called an "academic redshirt." You can read more about it here ... (scroll down the page for "What if I don't meet the requirements?" section for clarification on the meaning of an academic redshirt.

http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/play-division-i-sports

I'm willing to bet the issue is with this item, which one must have fulfilled to be fully qualified ...

Complete 10 core courses, including seven in English, math or natural/physical science, before your seventh semester. Once you begin your seventh semester, you may not repeat or replace any of those 10 courses to improve your core-course GPA.

The sliding scale for GPA and test scores is probably not an issue, as there is some flexibility allowed there. The 16 core courses are a given for both fully qualified and academic redshirt SAs. But there's no wiggle room on the 10 core courses you must take before your senior year of HS. Without trying to speak on matters I'm not fully qualified to opine on, if I had to guess what happened here, it was something that in Doutrive's transcript that happened before his senior year that put him in the situation he's in today.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-18-2017, 04:27 PM
Riley Battin talks about his official over the weekend.

http://d1vision.com/reggie-chaney-riley-battin/

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-18-2017, 04:30 PM
A glimpse into the future. Rylan Jones to Nico Mannion.

Diehard Ute
09-18-2017, 08:28 PM
Timmy Allen from Arizona has committed. 4* 6'6" wing, had interest from UCLA, USC, ASU, Texas Tech and SDSU among others.

LA Ute
09-18-2017, 08:33 PM
Timmy Allen from Arizona has committed. 4* 6'6" wing, had interest from UCLA, USC, ASU, Texas Tech and SDSU among others.

Gotta like the number of 4* recruits coming our way.

Here's his tweet:

https://twitter.com/timmybuckets35/status/909965330960678912

Info about him:

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/210563/timmy-allen

sancho
09-18-2017, 08:37 PM
BOOM! How bout that!

justaute
09-18-2017, 08:39 PM
Tears, man, those are tears streaming down my cheeks.

It seems as though Compton Magic is our bloodline.

LA Ute
09-18-2017, 09:17 PM
Timmy Allen Full Summer Highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBOgze7-oTU&feature=youtu.be

justaute
09-18-2017, 09:24 PM
Our backcourt/wing for the next couple of years is starting to come together. Now, if we can get Battin, plus with Carlson's 2019 return, then we'll be alright for the PF role.

U-Ute
09-19-2017, 08:23 AM
I gotta say I agree with UteDaddy on this one.

UtahsMrSports
09-19-2017, 08:45 AM
I gotta say I agree with UteDaddy on this one.

WARNING: Potential hot take coming........

If Lavar Ball called Larry up and said that LaMelo was interested in switching to the Utes (a laughable scenario, I know. Just work with me here.), I think Larry should bust up laughing as hangs up and blocks the number.

LA Ute
09-19-2017, 09:46 AM
I hope these latest signs of progress are helping Seattle Ute to feel better.

Scorcho
09-19-2017, 11:10 AM
my first thought on the number of new hoops gets after a long dry spell is that Krysko has bounced back from his illness last year and his health has improved?

I don't know if there's any truth to that, but ...

U-Ute
09-19-2017, 12:29 PM

If Lavar Ball called Larry up and said that LaMelo was interested in switching to the Utes (a laughable scenario, I know. Just work with me here.), I think Larry should bust up laughing as hangs up and blocks the number.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that his cell service includes a "Turd Block" option.

SoCalPat
09-20-2017, 09:50 AM

Larry would never do that. In fact, I'm sure he'd listen for a good while. Coaches are addicted to challenges.

UtahsMrSports
09-20-2017, 01:32 PM
Larry would never do that. In fact, I'm sure he'd listen for a good while. Coaches are addicted to challenges.

Im not sure how long that conversation would be. I think Larry learned from the Devon Daniels fiasco and wouldn't want anything to do with a sideshow like Lavar.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-21-2017, 12:47 PM
Riley Battin will be announcing his commitment at noon today. He spent the weekend on an official visit to Utah.

DrumNFeather
09-21-2017, 01:01 PM
Riley Battin will be announcing his commitment at noon today. He spent the weekend on an official visit to Utah.

He's a Ute!

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-21-2017, 01:08 PM
He's a Ute!

We're done. And it's September. This feels funny.

DrumNFeather
09-21-2017, 01:13 PM
We're done. And it's September. This feels funny.

I suspect Larry's seat is no longer warm...not that I thought that it was, but I remember it being suggested not long ago on the Twitter.

Scratch
09-21-2017, 01:25 PM
Not sure we're done. I'm confident that if the right guy wants in we'll take him. I'd like to see another big.

concerned
09-21-2017, 01:31 PM
Not sure we're done. I'm confident that if the right guy wants in we'll take him. I'd like to see another big.

I saw a tweet that said one more is likely. Not sure if that referred to Battin or somebody after him.

Two Utes
09-21-2017, 01:35 PM
I suspect Larry's seat is no longer warm...not that I thought that it was, but I remember it being suggested not long ago on the Twitter.

I'm busy refreshing the site waiting for complaints from SoCal Pat.

But, seriously, seems like possibly the best recruiting year ever (or at least since the Majerus heydays). It all started with K's decision to boot Daniels and double down on the culture. Good for him.

concerned
09-21-2017, 01:37 PM

But, seriously, seems like possibly the best recruiting year ever (or at least since the Majerus heydays). It all started with K's decision to boot Daniels and double down on the culture. Good for him.

You sell him short, you slanderous SOB.

Patrick Sheltra‏ @100ThingsUtah (https://twitter.com/100ThingsUtah) 10m10 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/100ThingsUtah/status/910948462513987584)More

What Utah MBB recruiting has done the last four months is nothing short of remarkable. Really can't be a cynic about their recruiting chops.

Two Utes
09-21-2017, 01:43 PM

Patrick Sheltra‏ @100ThingsUtah (https://twitter.com/100ThingsUtah) 10m10 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/100ThingsUtah/status/910948462513987584)More

What Utah MBB recruiting has done the last four months is nothing short of remarkable. Really can't be a cynic about their recruiting chops.

I guess that is what I get for not following him on Twitter.

UTEopia
09-21-2017, 01:45 PM
I am very excited for basketball on the hill. It will be fun to watch these young guys grow and improve. These guys come in with higher ratings than the last great class of Loveridge, Tucker and Taylor and I hope that LK and staff can get them to their ceilings.

Rocker Ute
09-21-2017, 01:48 PM
Pure speculation on my part but I was pretty astounded last year to learn that Larry had a battle with cancer and was still coaching. Even low dose chemo zaps a ton of energy of people I know and so I was struggling to get how he was keeping up with the rigors of coaching.

No doubt the culture wasn't there, along with the heavy hitting recruiting. But it appears it is back like never before... and truthfully how do you not succeed recruiting when you've gone from one of the worst teams in the nation to Kuzma, Poeltl and Wright?

With nothing else to base it on, I'm blaming it on the cancer.

sancho
09-21-2017, 02:16 PM
How is "Battin" pronounced?

What an amazing few weeks of recruiting. Excitement...rising.

Scratch
09-21-2017, 02:18 PM
How is "Battin" pronounced?

What an amazing few weeks of recruiting. Excitement...rising.

It rhymes with "turtle."

DrumNFeather
09-21-2017, 02:24 PM

We all love SCP!

I wasn't referring to anyone specifically, just the rumblings you see from time to time. I remember listening to a Utezone podcast where Swinney said that Larry's seat would be warm if things didn't improve on the recruiting front. That's where my comment came from.

concerned
09-21-2017, 02:28 PM
We all love SCP!

I wasn't referring to anyone specifically, just the rumblings you see from time to time. I remember listening to a Utezone podcast where Swinney said that Larry's seat would be warm if things didn't improve on the recruiting front. That's where my comment came from.

Actually, I was pretty discouraged last spring; I thought we were on a long slide to the bottom of the conference.

Scratch
09-21-2017, 02:44 PM
Interestingly, based on our current roster and current commits, we are actually already over-committed for the 2019-2020 season (we're currently at 13 scholarships for each of the next two seasons, but for 2019-2020 we only have 2 guys leaving, but have 3 coming in, Jones, Brenchley, and Carlson).

Scratch
09-21-2017, 02:50 PM
Interestingly, based on our current roster and current commits, we are actually already over-committed for the 2019-2020 season (we're currently at 13 scholarships for each of the next two seasons, but for 2019-2020 we only have 2 guys leaving, but have 3 coming in, Jones, Brenchley, and Carlson).

Speaking of which, I assume we'll be all over Matt Van Komen for that already over-committed class. Does anyone know if he's going to be a mission kid?

concerned
09-21-2017, 02:59 PM
Speaking of which, I assume we'll be all over Matt Van Komen for that already over-committed class. Does anyone know if he's going to be a mission kid?

i saw a thread on cougarboard discussing their recruiting. somebody posted that Van Komen is ours if we want him, and he is not a mission kid. kwiw.

Two Utes
09-21-2017, 02:59 PM
i saw a thread on cougarboard discussing their recruiting. somebody posted that Van Komen is ours if we want him, and he is not a mission kid. kwiw.

Given the changes in hoops, do we even want big dudes who play on the block anymore?

Scratch
09-21-2017, 03:06 PM
Given the changes in hoops, do we even want big dudes who play on the block anymore?

I think so, when he's at least 7'4" and pretty athletic. He'll probably be at least a top 100, and possibly top 50, recruit by all the major services. I really hope we can lock up him and Nico Mannion in the next couple of years.

UtahsMrSports
09-21-2017, 04:04 PM
We all love SCP!

My comment below is only in response to you because you brought his name up, not agreeing or disagreeing with anything that you say.....

Swinney does a great job with football breakdowns and recruiting news. The guy has worked hard and does a solid job. He has as much inside info into the Runnin' Utes as any of us here and honestly, he probably has less.

UtahsMrSports
09-21-2017, 04:08 PM
I think so, when he's at least 7'4" and pretty athletic. He'll probably be at least a top 100, and possibly top 50, recruit by all the major services. I really hope we can lock up him and Nico Mannion in the next couple of years.

Currently 84 by 247. It will be interesting to see what we do in regards to him. No matter what changes happen in the game of basketball, a rim protector is always going to be useful to have.

DrumNFeather
09-21-2017, 04:54 PM
My comment below is only in response to you because you brought his name up, not agreeing or disagreeing with anything that you say.....

Swinney does a great job with football breakdowns and recruiting news. The guy has worked hard and does a solid job. He has as much inside info into the Runnin' Utes as any of us here and honestly, he probably has less.

10-4, I hear you and others loud and clear on this. My personal belief with no inside info or connections is that Larry's seat isn't/wasn't warm, and I do not believe that the recruiting misses that we've endured before all of the hits that we just got impacted his seat temperature status going into this season. To me, that was simply a fan creation that was influenced by the frustration of the whiffs in recruiting, and the transfer of one Devon Daniels.

LA Ute
09-21-2017, 06:29 PM

It truly is amazing. As I said elsewhere, the Sweetgrass must be working.

Utah
09-26-2017, 10:42 AM
10-4, I hear you and others loud and clear on this. My personal belief with no inside info or connections is that Larry's seat isn't/wasn't warm, and I do not believe that the recruiting misses that we've endured before all of the hits that we just got impacted his seat temperature status going into this season. To me, that was simply a fan creation that was influenced by the frustration of the whiffs in recruiting, and the transfer of one Devon Daniels.

I agree. We all have to remember that Larry has shifted his philosophy towards recruiting.

That he has been able to make that shift and then so quickly recover is remarkable.

If anyone thinks his seat is hot...

It should not be at all. I think Larry is where Whitt was between his two 5-7 years. We may have one more "rough" year ahead of us (i.e., we don't make the tourney this year), but I expect a big jump forward in the 2018-2019 season.

Like Whitt was finally able to rebuild the football program, Larry should be ready to roll that year.

FountainOfUte
09-26-2017, 12:35 PM
I agree. We all have to remember that Larry has shifted his philosophy towards recruiting.

That he has been able to make that shift and then so quickly recover is remarkable.

If anyone thinks his seat is hot...

It should not be at all. I think Larry is where Whitt was between his two 5-7 years. We may have one more "rough" year ahead of us (i.e., we don't make the tourney this year), but I expect a big jump forward in the 2018-2019 season.

Like Whitt was finally able to rebuild the football program, Larry should be ready to roll that year.

This is how I can see it going. Certainly how I hope it goes.

Honestly, once Krystkowiak took his team to the Sweet 16, I thought we had gotten over the Giac/Boylen hump. That part was probably true, but what was weird was how the program still sputtered after a moderate spike of success 2014-2016.

There was a moment where LK and Delon took us to the S16, and you could see that the players coming back from that season (Poeltl, Kuzma, Chapman, Loveridge, Taylor) were positioned for another deep run the next season. Add to that the spittin' shiny new basketball facility finally opening, and it looked like we were off to the races as a newly-minted P5 program with a decent history of success to point back to. Once that '15-'16 team got worked by Gonzaga it was like the recruiting wheels came off for a couple cycles.

I still wonder what the story was behind all of that? Was it LK's cancer/health making a bigger dent than we figured? Were LK and staff shooting too high for recruits still out of reach? I never expected us to recruit punch for punch with UofA and UCLA, but I thought we were better than surviving off of D1 transfers and JCs. I thought solid 3-stars and 4-stars were within grasp with the occasional top 100 kid - more like this last cycle has gone. Why that weird blip?

Utah
09-26-2017, 09:10 PM
I think Larry thought with the new success, the players going to the NBA and the new facilities, the five star kids would start rolling in.

I don't he realized how dirty basketball recruiting is.

So I think he changed courses and started going after the Delon Wright's and Kuzma's.

The 2017 class was great, it's too bad there were so many missionaries (for Utah basketball, not the boys) but it was a good class.

And it has only gone up from there.

Exciting times to be a Ute...since 2003. Ha ha.

UtahsMrSports
10-09-2017, 10:41 AM
Even with the class being full, the staff is looking to upgrade the talent in the frontcourt for the 2018 class.

6'10 Joseph Hedstrom visited this past weekend. He also has offers from Boise and Wisconsin. He is from the twin cities area. Early crystal ball picks had him going Wisconsin but there's also some pro utah stuff there as well.

6'10 Filip Petrusev from Serbia via montverde academy in fl will visit this weekend after a midweek visit to Gonzaga. Most experts think he will end up at Gonzaga but who knows.

UtahsMrSports
10-17-2017, 10:42 AM
Hedstrom has committed to Wisconsin.

Kylor Kelley and Warren Washington, bigs who had visited Utah, have both opted for Oregon State. I don't think the Utes' staff has spent much time on either in a few weeks at least.

Petrusev would be a nice addition, but with a full, solid class, it wont break us if he indeed goes to the Zags.

justaute
10-17-2017, 12:33 PM
I'm quite interested to see how Oregon State does in the next few years. It seems as though, for whatever reason, that program has gotten quite a few good recruits in the last couple of years.

Hedstrom has committed to Wisconsin.

Kylor Kelley and Warren Washington, bigs who had visited Utah, have both opted for Oregon State. I don't think the Utes' staff has spent much time on either in a few weeks at least.

Petrusev would be a nice addition, but with a full, solid class, it wont break us if he indeed goes to the Zags.

UtahsMrSports
11-08-2017, 08:20 AM
The early signing period begins today. Crossing my fingers that the Runnin' Utes come through this drama free.

Applejack
11-08-2017, 12:30 PM
The early signing period begins today. Crossing my fingers that the Runnin' Utes come through this drama free.

Instagram tells me that Timmy Allen and naseem gaskin are in. Who else are we expecting (I don't follow hoops recruits)

justaute
11-08-2017, 02:20 PM
Instagram tells me that Timmy Allen and naseem gaskin are in. Who else are we expecting (I don't follow hoops recruits)

I think the only one left for 2018 is Riley Battin.

UBlender
11-08-2017, 02:51 PM
I think the only one left for 2018 is Riley Battin.

There's also Charles Jones Jr, a guard from CSI. He may be the highest immediate impact of this group.

UtahsMrSports
11-08-2017, 03:57 PM
There's also Charles Jones Jr, a guard from CSI. He may be the highest immediate impact of this group.

I saw a tweet with Jones at CSI in Utes gear and he looked to be signing with his teammates (four total, one going to USU, one to Pitt, and one to Idaho). Battin has been retweeting the others as they celebrate their signings. It appears we are going to avoid a Noah Togiai situation this year.

justaute
11-08-2017, 09:42 PM
I believe every 2018 has signed. Gaskin, Allen, Jones, and Battin.

UBlender
11-08-2017, 09:49 PM
I believe every 2018 has signed. Gaskin, Allen, Jones, and Battin.

Yep, I'm guessing that Jones and Battin must have come in this evening after some staffer was off the clock and thus no announcement from the U, but there is twitter evidence of both signing their LOIs. Now it's just a matter of seeing if Utah can find a quality big man to sign in the spring (as well as fill any other holes created by attrition).

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-09-2017, 08:25 AM
Someone has arrived at the office.

Not sure what my issue is this morning.

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-09-2017, 09:15 AM

I give up on this thread. https://twitter.com/UtahMBB/status/928654863038169088

LA Ute
12-09-2017, 10:07 AM
This is for those who think it’s still 1985 in Salt Lake (cough-cough Seattle Ute cough-cough).

Salt Lake City named the second most hipster city in the U.S.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900005324/salt-lake-city-named-the-second-most-hipster-city-in-the-us.html

hostile
12-09-2017, 11:22 AM
This is for those who think it’s still 1985 in Salt Lake (cough-cough Seattle Ute cough-cough).

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900005324/salt-lake-city-named-the-second-most-hipster-city-in-the-us.html
Dude! Why do think we moved here?!?

justaute
12-09-2017, 11:38 AM
I just moved here...still trying to buy a house. Grew up in Ogden/SLC and left the state 20+ years ago. Not easy finding a desired house in Millcreek/Holladay area. Also considering Fruit Hts and Cottonwood Hts. Any input is appreciated. :)

p.s. I know this has nothing to do with 2018 recruiting. ha

Diehard Ute
12-09-2017, 01:25 PM
I just moved here...still trying to buy a house. Grew up in Ogden/SLC and left the state 20+ years ago. Not easy finding a desired house in Millcreek/Holladay area. Also considering Fruit Hts and Cottonwood Hts. Any input is appreciated. :)

Great areas if you have $500,000 to $1,000,000 for a house.

justaute
12-09-2017, 05:25 PM
Great areas if you have $500,000 to $1,000,000 for a house.

Don't want to spend $1mm. That said, $500k doesn't quite cut it for nicer homes and nicer parts of Millcreek/Holladay. Still not sure whether Fruit Hts is too far. I travel a lot, so airport access is import -- not an issue from Fruit Hts; however, for access to nice/eclectic restaurants in SLC, Fruit Hts may be a bit far. Not sure yet.

justaute
12-10-2017, 12:32 PM
Really intrigued by what Timmy Allen will do in our program.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0KHWsuyfhM

UtahsMrSports
12-10-2017, 01:23 PM
Really intrigued by what Timmy Allen will do in our program.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0KHWsuyfhM

Barring a transfer or two either direction , I think you can take it to the bank that next year's starting five will be Charles Jones at the point, two of Allen, Barefield, and Doutrive on the wings (odd man out there becoming the 6th man), Tillman at the 4 and JJ in the middle.

UTEopia
12-10-2017, 02:04 PM

We will be selling our home in Holladay (4900 South, 4 blocks west of I-215) in the next few months. Rambler, 3600 sq. ft., 3 bed, 2 ba, upstairs; 2 bed, 1 ba downstairs. $670k

UTEopia
12-10-2017, 02:06 PM
Barring a transfer or two either direction , I think you can take it to the bank that next year's starting five will be Charles Jones at the point, two of Allen, Barefield, and Doutrive on the wings (odd man out there becoming the 6th man), Tillman at the 4 and JJ in the middle.

I like Tillman. He needs to do what Loveridge did after his freshman season and that is, develop a consistent 3 point shot. I wish he was 6'9 instead of 6'5.

Scratch
12-10-2017, 02:10 PM
I like Tillman. He needs to do what Loveridge did after his freshman season and that is, develop a consistent 3 point shot. I wish he was 6'9 instead of 6'5.

If he were 6'9" he probably wouldn't be a Ute.

justaute
12-10-2017, 03:13 PM

Isn't he 6'7"? Or, is that just a "paper" 6'7"?

justaute
12-10-2017, 03:15 PM
We will be selling our home in Holladay (4900 South, 4 blocks west of I-215) in the next few months. Rambler, 3600 sq. ft., 3 bed, 2 ba, upstairs; 2 bed, 1 ba downstairs. $670k

Thanks much, UTEopia. Trying to keep under $600k. Just put int a couple of offers around East Millcreek. Had put in an offer on a house around 4600 S & 2500 E, but decided to walk away because of the renovation cost.

UtahsMrSports
12-10-2017, 08:06 PM
Isn't he 6'7"? Or, is that just a "paper" 6'7"?

His listed height is just like anyone else's.....slightly embellished.

NorthwestUteFan
12-10-2017, 08:41 PM
We will be selling our home in Holladay (4900 South, 4 blocks west of I-215) in the next few months. Rambler, 3600 sq. ft., 3 bed, 2 ba, upstairs; 2 bed, 1 ba downstairs. $670kThat is Solon's old stomping grounds.

Diehard Ute
12-10-2017, 08:52 PM

And that’s why we’re building in Herriman haha

mUUser
12-12-2017, 12:28 PM

Like you, we moved back to SLC after several decades away and bought a house in the Millcreek/Holladay area that needed remodeling. Recently, we sold that house to move closer to the U. It sold quickly, so I think the area is still desirable, but, as you mentioned, it can be difficult to find an updated home under $600k. Having said that, there are still pockets of terrific neighborhoods where you can find what you want under $600k. It may take the patience of saint, but, eventually I think you'll land something. For example the neighborhood just east/southeast/southwest of Olympus has a number of great neighborhoods with homes in the 2500-3000 sf range that will sell for under $600. It helps if you have some connections that can learn about a sale "by word of mouth" as opposed to letting it hit the market. Good luck.

justaute
12-12-2017, 01:42 PM
Like you, we moved back to SLC after several decades away and bought a house in the Millcreek/Holladay area that needed remodeling. Recently, we sold that house to move closer to the U. It sold quickly, so I think the area is still desirable, but, as you mentioned, it can be difficult to find an updated home under $600k. Having said that, there are still pockets of terrific neighborhoods where you can find what you want under $600k. It may take the patience of saint, but, eventually I think you'll land something. For example the neighborhood just east/southeast/southwest of Olympus has a number of great neighborhoods with homes in the 2500-3000 sf range that will sell for under $600. It helps if you have some connections that can learn about a sale "by word of mouth" as opposed to letting it hit the market. Good luck.

Thanks much, mUUser. Yeah...it has not been easy. I think I now know every house for sale under $625k between the Avenues and Holladay...LOL. Haven't seen anything I really liked under $650k. There are a few pretty goods ones around $620k (Foothill, East Millcreek, and Canyon Rim), but I have not been impressed by the $550k-$600K homes in those areas. I don't mind getting something lower and do renovation, but the combination of good "bone structure", lot size, and price is tough. Found a house I really like in Fruit Hts, but am still debating if that's too far from SLC. Parents are in Ogden...though, not really a decision factor.

Two Utes
12-12-2017, 03:59 PM
Thanks much, mUUser. Yeah...it has not been easy. I think I now know every house for sale under $625k between the Avenues and Holladay...LOL. Haven't seen anything I really liked under $650k. There are a few pretty goods ones around $620k (Foothill, East Millcreek, and Canyon Rim), but I have not been impressed by the $550k-$600K homes in those areas. I don't mind getting something lower and do renovation, but the combination of good "bone structure", lot size, and price is tough. Found a house I really like in Fruit Hts, but am still debating if that's too far from SLC. Parents are in Ogden...though, not really a decision factor.

if you're Mormon and you don't mind going to chain food operations for dinner, Fruit Heights works.

I'm surprised you can't find anything under 625k. I guess that means my home is worth more than I thought

concerned
12-12-2017, 04:07 PM

are you commuting? Fruit heights-SLC is brutal in rush hour both ways. How close is the house to front runner?

U-Ute
12-12-2017, 04:12 PM

Salt Lake City finished ahead of Cincinnati, Ohio; Boise, Idaho; and Richmond, Virginia

Quite the compelling competition there.

justaute
12-12-2017, 11:34 PM
are you commuting? Fruit heights-SLC is brutal in rush hour both ways. How close is the house to front runner?

No commuting. Just airport runs. I travel for work most of the time.

chrisrenrut
12-13-2017, 12:32 AM

The airport from Fruit Heights is easy. Legacy Highway makes it almost a straight shot. My stepson and his family live near Oakridge Country Club. The Farmington Station shopping area is really nice. Downtown SLC is only 25 minutes away in non-rush hour traffic. There are a couple of nice golf courses nearby, Davis and Valley View. And for outdoor recreation such as skiing, hiking, mountain biking, etc., Ogden Valley is underrated, less crowded than SLC and PC, and is less than 30 minutes away.

I live in Centerville, and if I ever decide to move, Fruit Heights or east Layton would be high on my list.

U-Ute
12-13-2017, 11:09 AM
Timmy "Buckets" Allen with 40.

He has a nice stroke from 3. Quick release.

Rocker Ute
12-13-2017, 11:57 AM

FWIW, certain parts of Millcreek and Holladay I've joked are 25 minutes from everything... in a bad way. We lived not far from the Holladay City center and it felt like it took forever to get to the freeway to get downtown or to the airport or whatever. Your choices are to go south over to Cottonwood Heights and jump on the freeway there, go North on 2300 East to get on to I-80, or go east and hope on the I-215 from 4500 south all are at least a 10-15 minute drive, plus the rest of your travel time.

Keep in mind I've always lived about 5 minutes from the Freeway my entire life except then, but it drove me nuts.

sancho
12-13-2017, 12:33 PM
FWIW, certain parts of Millcreek and Holladay I've joked are 25 minutes from everything... in a bad way. We lived not far from the Holladay City center and it felt like it took forever to get to the freeway to get downtown or to the airport or whatever. Your choices are to go south over to Cottonwood Heights and jump on the freeway there, go North on 2300 East to get on to I-80, or go east and hope on the I-215 from 4500 south all are at least a 10-15 minute drive, plus the rest of your travel time.

Keep in mind I've always lived about 5 minutes from the Freeway my entire life except then, but it drove me nuts.

I'm spoiled because I grew up in the city. I rarely needed to go anywhere that was more than a 10 minute drive. A 20 minute drive felt like a big trip.

One of the great blessings of my life is that I've always lived in walking or cycling distance to work. I've never had a commute. I've noticed that I have that item higher up on the priority list when looking for a home than most people.

Scratch
12-13-2017, 12:49 PM

Can't get on 215 from 45th. As a newly minted Holladay resident it drives me crazy.

chrisrenrut
12-13-2017, 01:04 PM
Can't get on 215 from 45th. As a newly minted Holladay resident it drive me crazy.

Wow, it seems there is a gathering of sorts back to Utah. mUUser, justaute, and now Scratch have all recently moved back to Utah from distant lands. LA Ute, Sancho, SeattleUte, the homeland beckons.

justaute
12-13-2017, 01:27 PM
The airport from Fruit Heights is easy. Legacy Highway makes it almost a straight shot. My stepson and his family live near Oakridge Country Club. The Farmington Station shopping area is really nice. Downtown SLC is only 25 minutes away in non-rush hour traffic. There are a couple of nice golf courses nearby, Davis and Valley View. And for outdoor recreation such as skiing, hiking, mountain biking, etc., Ogden Valley is underrated, less crowded than SLC and PC, and is less than 30 minutes away.

I live in Centerville, and if I ever decide to move, Fruit Heights or east Layton would be high on my list.

Thanks, Chris. I'm actually staying in Ogden with family right now. Agree with you regarding the airport commute from Fruit Hts -- easy. The way I look at it is that the distance between Fruit Hts and SLC is not much more than that of Cottonwood Hts and SLC; however, there are a lot more "going ons" in between Cottonwood Hts and SLC than between Fruit Hts and SLC. That said, for whatever reason, having grown up in Ogden, I have always liked Fruit Hts, especially on the East Bench side.

justaute
12-13-2017, 01:29 PM

I noticed that. Though, it is quite convenient from Canyon Rim, Foothill, and East Millcreek areas, where I have done the preponderance of my search. Holladay and Cottonwood Hts have been my secondary.

justaute
12-13-2017, 01:32 PM
Can't get on 215 from 45th. As a newly minted Holladay resident it drive me crazy.

Interesting. I was looking around 24th E and 45th S, which wasn't far from 215 (south bound), but I guess the North/East bound entrance of 33rd S is a bit farther.

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-13-2017, 01:38 PM
Wow, it seems there is a gathering of sorts back to Utah. mUUser, justaute, and now Scratch have all recently moved back to Utah from distant lands. LA Ute, Sancho, SeattleUte, the homeland beckons.

I will not heed the call.

U-Ute
12-13-2017, 01:44 PM
Shush you!

First rule of Salt Lake Club!

UTEopia
12-13-2017, 01:49 PM

Im starting the out migration. We are selling our home in Holladay and buying a place in Mission Bay. We will split our time between that place and a condo in Park City. Our new Ward is home to Mitt and Ann Romney and we sat right behind them in SS.

UtahsMrSports
12-13-2017, 02:09 PM
Live in northern davis county, work in slc. Its not so bad.

NorthwestUteFan
12-13-2017, 02:36 PM
I will not heed the call.Ditto. The inversion alone would be too much to handle.

LA Ute
12-13-2017, 03:10 PM

We do own property there. Does that count?

chrisrenrut
12-13-2017, 04:34 PM
Im starting the out migration. We are selling our home in Holladay and buying a place in Mission Bay. We will split our time between that place and a condo in Park City. Our new Ward is home to Mitt and Ann Romney and we sat right behind them in SS.

Congrats! That sound like a dream retirement scenario to me.

justaute
12-13-2017, 04:38 PM

Well, this is the 2018 recruiting class...right? :)

Brian
12-14-2017, 08:52 AM
We visited my parents in SLC last week, and I believe I have had my fill for a while.
I could not take the traffic. But I do miss the mountains. They are glorious.

It was nice seeing the UBoyz billboards up around town.

Two Utes
12-14-2017, 09:02 AM
Can't get on 215 from 45th. As a newly minted Holladay resident it drives me crazy.

Wait a minute, when did this happen? Did I miss the big announcement that scratch has returned home?

Two Utes
12-14-2017, 09:13 AM

Sounds terrific. I will admit, I struggle with the winters here in the Valley. And Park City is just too damn cold. I love living here the other 9 months, but am prepared to GTFO of here in the winter as soon as I can.

Unfortunately, I'm still raising kids, but I get more time out of here in the winter than I used to. Hopefully that trend continues.

Scratch
12-14-2017, 11:56 AM
Wait a minute, when did this happen? Did I miss the big announcement that scratch has returned home?

Still working in CA, but we're moving up to Holladay. Will be telecommuting.

concerned
12-14-2017, 12:21 PM
Still working in CA, but we're moving up to Holladay. Will be telecommuting.

How do you appear in court? Still billing Cali rates? Can you ask if I catch on of counsel, even though I dont know anything about Cali law and am not a member of the bar? I will work cheap.

Scratch
12-14-2017, 12:33 PM
For less important stuff (status conferences, etc.) I just appear telephonically (which I usually did before anyway). If it's more important I will fly down or make an associate go, if an associate is up to speed. That said, I really don't have that many court appearances.

UTEopia
12-14-2017, 01:14 PM
For less important stuff (status conferences, etc.) I just appear telephonically (which I usually did before anyway). If it's more important I will fly down or make an associate go, if an associate is up to speed. That said, I really don't have that many court appearances.

When I practiced law, I was located in SLC, but about 25% of my work was in California even though our firm had an Irvine office. Most of the SLC office clients preferred to pay my SLC rate and for travel and expenses than pay the rate our California lawyers billed, which on average, was about $100 per hour more.

LA Ute
12-14-2017, 03:21 PM
I spend a lot of time in Salt Lake because our kids are there and we have a place there. When I am in SLC I telecommute. We think now and then about moving to SLC permanently, and me commuting to LA weekly, but my presence in the office on a regular basis is still necessary, and I’m not ready to accept the wear and tear on my body from flying Southwest back and forth to SoCal twice a week. I know people who do that, however. When the time comes for me to slow down, I will probably move to Salt Lake and do arbitrator and hearing officer work, which will require occasional trips to Southern California. We’re going to hang on to some property here too, so we can get away in the winter time. The cold is one thing for which my endurance has faded. Living with it for a week or two once a year is fine, but for several months? I don’t think so.

UBlender
12-15-2017, 09:23 AM
We visited my parents in SLC last week, and I believe I have had my fill for a while.
I could not take the traffic. But I do miss the mountains. They are glorious.

It was nice seeing the UBoyz billboards up around town.

There are mountains here???

mUUser
12-15-2017, 11:22 AM
I spend a lot of time in Salt Lake because our kids are there and we have a place there. When I am in SLC I telecommute. We think now and then about moving to SLC permanently, and me commuting to LA weekly, but my presence in the office on a regular basis is still necessary, and I’m not ready to accept the wear and tear on my body from flying Southwest back and forth to SoCal twice a week. I know people who do that, however. When the time comes for me to slow down, I will probably move to Salt Lake and do arbitrator and hearing officer work, which will require occasional trips to Southern California. We’re going to hang on to some property here too, so we can get away in the winter time. The cold is one thing for which my endurance has faded. Living with it for a week or two once a year is fine, but for several months? I don’t think so.

After 25 years away we were very apprehensive to return, but, I could go on forever about how great it is to be back -- in so many ways. Plug your nose and jump. I don't think you'll regret it.

justaute
12-15-2017, 01:06 PM
After 25 years away we were very apprehensive to return, but, I could go on forever about how great it is to be back -- in so many ways. Plug your nose and jump. I don't think you'll regret it.

That's what I did. :) Hey, may be we should have a get-together for all the Mecca returnees and UB5vers.

LA Ute
12-16-2017, 11:21 AM
That's what I did. :) Hey, may be we should have a get-together for all the Mecca returnees and UB5vers.

We have done that in the past. It’s probably time to do it again.

UtahsMrSports
12-19-2017, 09:16 AM
An interesting prospect for Ute fans to keep an eye on is right here in our own backyard with SLCC's Kur Kuath.

The 6'9 soph. is averaging 12 points, 4 blocks 1 steal and 8 boards in around 22 minutes a night. He has a 7'5 wingspan. He has offers from all the local schools plus Oklahoma among others.

Biggest drawback is that he weighs 185 pounds.

UBlender
12-19-2017, 04:39 PM
An interesting prospect for Ute fans to keep an eye on is right here in our own backyard with SLCC's Kur Kuath.

The 6'9 soph. is averaging 12 points, 4 blocks 1 steal and 8 boards in around 22 minutes a night. He has a 7'5 wingspan. He has offers from all the local schools plus Oklahoma among others.

He seems like a little bit of a project, but he's a project that has a ton of upside which is a far cry from other projects Utah has had recently coughJoklcough.

Applejack
12-20-2017, 07:00 AM

I checked his highlights and was unimpressed (but what do I know?). Seems very long but all the highlight blocks are against guys that are not leapers and he doesn't get very high either. Plus I hate highlights that feature long 2 pointers. Don't people know that those are the worst shots in basketball? Who cares if he can make those?

UtahsMrSports
01-02-2018, 12:22 PM
Kuath has committed to Oklahoma.

Per 247, we have just offered 6'6, 200 wing Matthew Meredith from Germany.

U-Ute
01-27-2018, 12:47 PM
Naseem Gaskin got pop.

UtahsMrSports
01-28-2018, 01:08 PM
We will be getting a visit on February 9 from Lahat Thioune. 6'11, long athletic rim protector/rebounder. His 247 profile shows an offer from Louisville but I suspect that's an "offer" and not an "Offer".

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-29-2018, 01:03 PM
It looks like Charles Jones has been suspended indefinitely, for a violation of team rules. I hope that this isn’t a warning of future problems.

http://magicvalley.com/sports/college/csi/csi-s-jones-jr-kingsby-suspended-indefinitely/article_3e7a7693-c6bc-5845-8639-460932534918.html

Old Standing ute
01-29-2018, 04:36 PM
Reefer Madness strikes again.

On a happier note Timmy "Buckets" Allen had 42 points & 17 rebounds in a recent HS game.

Old Standing ute
02-05-2018, 03:36 PM
reported elsewhere that

Lahat Thione---7 footer from FLA will be at the Stanford game on an official visit.

Should be interesting to hear how the Muss chant his name.?!

Dwight Schr-Ute
02-09-2018, 11:13 AM
reported elsewhere that

Lahat Thione---7 footer from FLA will be at the Stanford game on an official visit.

Should be interesting to hear how the Muss chant his name.?!

Old Standing ute
02-09-2018, 01:06 PM
Lahat & his father were at game last night.

Tall (had some great looking flood pants on) & thin. He was sitting next to Larry's sons. Hard to tell how he was reacting. I don't think he heard the MUSS chanting we want Lahat--too bad.

His dad was wearing Ute gear--for what that is worth.
Demarco Slocum appeared to be in charge of their visit.

concerned
02-09-2018, 01:11 PM
Lahat & his father were at game last night.

Tall (had some great looking flood pants on) & thin. He was sitting next to Larry's sons. Hard to tell how he was reacting. I don't think he heard the MUSS chanting we want Lahat--too bad.

His dad was wearing Ute gear--for what that is worth.
Demarco Slocum appeared to be in charge of their visit.

where are those seats? Are they in the first rows on the courtside opposite the benches (i.e., behind you), where recruits usually sit? Or are they behind the bench.

The MUSS was so small last night I don think anyone could have heard the chant.

BTW, saw a couple of tweets that they expect him to commit--maybe this afternoon.

sancho
02-09-2018, 04:21 PM

Old Standing ute
02-09-2018, 05:34 PM
Seats are across from benches, 1st row of permanent seats.

He committed;

I guess Jakub is czeching out?

sancho
02-09-2018, 05:44 PM
Seats are across from benches, 1st row of permanent seats.

He committed;

I guess Jakub is czeching out?

Is this the complete list of new players for next year:

Doutrive (6'5" SG)
Thioune (7' C)
Riley Battin (6'9" PF)
Tim Allen (6'7" SF)
Naseem Gaskin (6'3" SG)

Add those to Barefield (SG), Tillman (SF), PVD (SG), Caldwell (SG), Seeley (PF), Johnson (C), Popoola (PG?)

That's 12 - am I missing someone? Still room for Jokl?

Lots of hope for the newcomers. We need a few of them to work out.

Who's the PG?

U-Ute
02-09-2018, 05:50 PM

Old Standing ute
02-09-2018, 05:56 PM
You missed Charles Jones II JUCO from So Idaho. PG.

sancho
02-09-2018, 06:27 PM
You missed Charles Jones II JUCO from So Idaho. PG.

Oh thanks.

So...

PG: Jones
SG: Doutrive/Gaskin starts with Barefield in his 6th man role.
SF: Tillman, then Allen
PF: Battin, then Seeley
C: Johnson, then Thioune

Looks like I'm starting 2 freshmen.

LA Ute
02-09-2018, 07:35 PM
Lahat seems like a potentially great get.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/college/utah/Bolt/Utah-adds-Lahat-Thioune-to-2018-class-114944590/Amp

NorthwestUteFan
02-09-2018, 08:19 PM
This is looking more like a sweet 16 (and beyond) team. What a huge recruiting class!

sancho
02-09-2018, 08:54 PM
This is looking more like a sweet 16 (and beyond) team. What a huge recruiting class!

As a Duke fan for the past 15 years, I am wary of recruiting rankings. So many top recruits turn into stars, but just as many disappoint. There's just no way to know what will happen.

The basketball blue bloods compensate with volume.

Scratch
02-09-2018, 11:20 PM
Oh thanks.

So...

PG: Jones
SG: Doutrive/Gaskin starts with Barefield in his 6th man role.
SF: Tillman, then Allen
PF: Battin, then Seeley
C: Johnson, then Thioune

Looks like I'm starting 2 freshmen.

PVD will (justifiably) play a lot.

sancho
02-10-2018, 07:14 AM
PVD will (justifiably) play a lot.

Probably, but that does depend on Jones, gaskin, and doutrive. We seem to have a lot of SGs but few PGs.

UTEopia
02-10-2018, 08:01 AM
Probably, but that does depend on Jones, gaskin, and doutrive. We seem to have a lot of SGs but few PGs.

Jones was suspended for smoking pot. Will LK still bring him on board? I would, but I would let him know he will be tested weekly. Whit did that with Josh Gordon. The kid didn't make it through October and he arrived mid-September.

Diehard Ute
02-10-2018, 08:07 AM
Jones was suspended for smoking pot. Will LK still bring him on board? I would, but I would let him know he will be tested weekly. Whit did that with Josh Gordon. The kid didn't make it through October and he arrived mid-September.

He’ll bring him in, I don’t have any doubt about that. The U’s marijuana consequences have been relaxed since Gordon’s days (not that he’d ever have survived)

There will be some requirements I’m sure.

Old Standing ute
02-10-2018, 09:07 AM
With that many newcomers team will be a roller coaster, with potential.
Barefield will go back to PG with PVD starting at beginning of the year—-unless Doutrive is ready. How long until he or Jones takes over?
Interesting grouping of Tillman, Allen, Battin & Seeley—hard to predict mid-year starters. Might be ability to defend & rebound.

LA Ute
02-10-2018, 09:03 PM
Lahat runs the floor well:

https://youtu.be/16xL8avi1yA

Old Standing ute
02-18-2018, 06:31 PM
Trib reported Naseem Gaskin recently set a school record by scoring 44 points in a game.
Timmy Allen had a 42 point game this year, Charles Jones II--who is playing again had a 42 point game earlier & Riley Battin who just went over 1,500 rebounds for his HS career had a 41 point game earlier.

Lahat may never need to take a shot.

U-Ute
02-19-2018, 07:17 AM
I noticed those games. Have they officially signed yet or will some other school’s bagman swoop in at the last minute?

UTEopia
02-19-2018, 07:48 AM
I noticed those games. Have they officially signed yet or will some other school’s bagman swoop in at the last minute?

Everyone is signed except the 7 footer who committed a few weeks ago.

U-Ute
02-19-2018, 08:45 PM
Everyone is signed except the 7 footer who committed a few weeks ago.

Lahat Thioune?

Man my phone doesn’t like his name.

Old Standing ute
02-20-2018, 02:54 PM
Next signing period is in April --?

snafu
02-20-2018, 07:40 PM
Given the stellar class we are bringing in this year, what do you see happening with Jokl, Popoola and Caldwell? I had totally forgotten about Caldwell and Pop until I saw the wazzu game. Pop can’t even get in a game.

UBlender
02-20-2018, 09:20 PM
Given the stellar class we are bringing in this year, what do you see happening with Jokl, Popoola and Caldwell? I had totally forgotten about Caldwell and Pop until I saw the wazzu game. Pop can’t even get in a game.

I have no inside info, but I'll be shocked if Jokl is still on the team next year. He was clearly a miss and just isn't a contributor at this level. I think he leaves and Thioune takes his spot.

I also think at least one of Caldwell and Pop will see the handwriting and look for more playing time elsewhere. I think Utah will then look for another grad transfer or maybe an overseas project to fill that scholarship.

This is all just pure, irresponsible speculation on my part.

Old Standing ute
02-20-2018, 09:55 PM
Jokl is a nice young man, (had a chance to talk with him at length once), but just not hard nosed enough to play the 5 at this level. Might be OK in Europe.

Pop & Caldwell are both good athletes, but not very good basketball players---Pop can't go right (his off hand) & Caldwell has a horrible shot---that magically goes in some times.
Pop could use a year at a JC to get some playing time---Caldwell needs a shot doctor.

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-08-2018, 08:56 AM

UtahsMrSports
03-22-2018, 09:35 PM
Larry stopped by to visit top 100 2018 point guard James akinjo today. He was committed to uconn but was recently released from his LOI.

snafu
03-23-2018, 11:20 AM
I am not sure what to make of this latest news of Larry visiting Akinjo. We have Gaskin and Jones coming in already with Barefield slated to return at PG. I can understand if Larry doesn't feel completely confident in Barefield as the lead guard for next year but it seems like we have already recruited to that need. Am I missing something?

sancho
03-23-2018, 11:40 AM
I am not sure what to make of this latest news of Larry visiting Akinjo. We have Gaskin and Jones coming in already with Barefield slated to return at PG. I can understand if Larry doesn't feel completely confident in Barefield as the lead guard for next year but it seems like we have already recruited to that need. Am I missing something?

Isn't Gaskin a SG? I thought Jones was the only pure PG on the roster for next year?

justaute
03-23-2018, 11:56 AM
FWIW...it seems both Gaskin and Jones are classified as SG.
http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/utah

Isn't Gaskin a SG? I thought Jones was the only pure PG on the roster for next year?

UtahsMrSports
03-23-2018, 12:01 PM
The good thing is that Larry and company are essentially playing with house money here. If he commits, awesome. The talent level has been increased as has the competition for playing time. If he doesn't commit, you have a borderline top-75 prospect coming at that position in 2019 and you thrive next year with an already deep guard line.

As for positions, this staff has been successful with a pg/combo guard backcourt (Wright/Taylor 2013-2015), two combo guards (Taylor/Bonam 2015-2016, Bonam/PVD/Zamora/Barefield 2016-2017), and a pg/combo (Bibbins/Barefield/PVD 2017-2018).

Just looking at our rosters as a whole year to year, the staff has done a pretty good job of just taking what they have and playing to the players strengths as opposed to forcing them into a system. Basically, I don't know that it matters if Jones or Gaskin are true points or not. I think the coaches will put them where they need to be to win.

snafu
03-23-2018, 12:31 PM
FWIW...it seems both Gaskin and Jones are classified as SG.
http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/utah

That makes more sense then. Thanks.

Ma'ake
03-24-2018, 04:41 PM
The good thing is that Larry and company are essentially playing with house money here. If he commits, awesome. The talent level has been increased as has the competition for playing time. If he doesn't commit, you have a borderline top-75 prospect coming at that position in 2019 and you thrive next year with an already deep guard line.

As for positions, this staff has been successful with a pg/combo guard backcourt (Wright/Taylor 2013-2015), two combo guards (Taylor/Bonam 2015-2016, Bonam/PVD/Zamora/Barefield 2016-2017), and a pg/combo (Bibbins/Barefield/PVD 2017-2018).

Just looking at our rosters as a whole year to year, the staff has done a pretty good job of just taking what they have and playing to the players strengths as opposed to forcing them into a system. Basically, I don't know that it matters if Jones or Gaskin are true points or not. I think the coaches will put them where they need to be to win.

Great post. I think the general move toward "positionless basketball" applies. It's been some time in the making, from the days of GGFFC, or 12345. For the past 10-15 years we see lineups of GGGFF far more often, and when the game starts it's all about breaking down defenses and finding shots, and less about fitting into positions.

On offense this year, Rawson is more of a SG than PVD is... because the 3 game is his strength. (Just as he found the ball fake this year, I hope Rawson keeps working on this game, starts playing his size a little more, develops a back-to-the-basket game he can go to. Whether it's in Europe, or Latin America, or wherever, if he keeps developing, I wouldn't be surprised to see Rawson find the end of an NBA bench somewhere down the road.)

These incoming guards are athletic enough to play D1 ball, but who knows how well they can facilitate and shoot. Delon was a natural PG at 6-5, and Taylor played well off the ball at 5-10. But if need be Taylor could facilitate the offense and Delon could do everything (except the long game).

The extreme example of facilitators not fitting the mold is Joe Ingles. If he can handle the ball, Timmy Allen might be that kind of player. Who knows.

Ma'ake
03-24-2018, 04:46 PM
I'm a fan of LK, and like the old school fire he brings.

But watching Makol Mawien playing well in the Elite 8 for K-State makes me wince a little, hope we don't have an unanticipated transfer.

Diehard Ute
03-24-2018, 04:52 PM

But watching Makol Mawien playing well in the Elite 8 for K-State makes me wince a little, hope we don't have an unanticipated transfer.

By all accounts he had issues here off the court.

Things that weren’t going to be resolved if he stayed.

chrisrenrut
03-24-2018, 09:06 PM

If Popoola transfers would you be upset? From a development standpoint, he’s probably about the same place Mawein was after his freshman year. Can't perform well enough to get on the court during the game, and some talent coming in at the same position that is anticipated to contribute right away.

Ma'ake
03-25-2018, 08:39 AM
If Popoola transfers would you be upset? From a development standpoint, he’s probably about the same place Mawein was after his freshman year. Can't perform well enough to get on the court during the game, and some talent coming in at the same position that is anticipated to contribute right away.

First of all, Diehard's point about off-court issues with Mawein is well taken. Kids are kids, and we've been the beneficiaries of a TON of kids in football that needed new beginnings.

But there's a deeper concern going on, I think. Is LK's old school style leaving us with a more limited talent pool?

I've heard multiple perspectives on the Daniels-Jayce Johnson "altercation" that seem to be incompatible. The general explanation I've accepted is Daniels was a cancer who was bad enough he punched Jayce and after the season, LK told him to hit the road. More recently I heard a totally different perspective that Jayce is a major A-hole and Daniels finally put him in his place, and (ostensibly with the coaches deciding who was more important) now Daniels is waiting out his transfer year at NC State.

(Disclosure - I don't have insider sources, and know far, far less about the basketball team than I was able to observe about the football team, waaay back in the day during the Mac/Urban/early Whitt years.)

If Daniels goes on to be All-ACC, that would furrow my brow.

It's obvious that Popoola needs to improve his 3 game. But watching him on the bench, he's as animated and jubilant as anyone during this post-season run. He' not sulking, there doesn't appear to be any intra-team chemistry problem going on. I don't think we've seen a fraction of what Pop can bring - even with a limited 3 game, which on its own hasn't been a knock out blow for others (Delon, PVD). Hopefully, Pop is just absorbing our complex system and we'll start to see him come into his own next season as the newbies figure out this isn't as simple as AAU ball. That would make some sense.

if Pop transfers and does well, my brow would be furrowed more.

From my days of watching FB practice 3+ times a week, I learned there's always much more going on than we can see.

I *love* this run this team has made, how we were picked 7th and finished 3rd - against paid talent - and J-Bib was All-PAC12. But, there's also the gnawing issues with the size of LK's salary, and that while gymnastics is pulling 15,000, for basketball - the reason the building was built that size (in a different era, granted) - we saw a lot less than that for the big PAC-12 games, and had the drapes down for a couple of really good NIT games. Uncomfortable data points.

How much of us losing recruiting wars against U of Pay were because of money under the table, and how much was because word has gotten out that LK is tough to play for? Markennen's family in Finland probably didn't need money.

I read a whiff of a rumor that Tillman might be looking for another school. If *that* happens, it would suggest issues we really don't want to know about.

Every program is dealing with some doubts about their staffs that graduate transfers bring. Transfers of young players who bloom at other programs brings more scrutiny. Early in LK's tenure at Utah, we were just trying to upgrade talent. Sometimes off the court issues lurk, kids make errors in their original choices, etc.

Mawien is explained, wish the kid best, he definitely worked hard in the weight room. If Daniels *and* Popoola (theoretically) thrive at different schools, and we never get a serious shot at the PAC-12 championship, then questions arise.

(Fortunately I can share those concerns here, on a pretty modest stage.)

justaute
03-25-2018, 03:06 PM
Agreed. Lots of variables. And, I still think we've had too many recruiting whiffs -- just look who's on the bench and who's transferred.

First of all, Diehard's point about off-court issues with Mawein is well taken. Kids are kids, and we've been the beneficiaries of a TON of kids in football that needed new beginnings.

But there's a deeper concern going on, I think. Is LK's old school style leaving us with a more limited talent pool?

I've heard multiple perspectives on the Daniels-Jayce Johnson "altercation" that seem to be incompatible. The general explanation I've accepted is Daniels was a cancer who was bad enough he punched Jayce and after the season, LK told him to hit the road. More recently I heard a totally different perspective that Jayce is a major A-hole and Daniels finally put him in his place, and (ostensibly with the coaches deciding who was more important) now Daniels is waiting out his transfer year at NC State.

(Disclosure - I don't have insider sources, and know far, far less about the basketball team than I was able to observe about the football team, waaay back in the day during the Mac/Urban/early Whitt years.)

It's obvious that Popoola needs to improve his 3 game. But watching him on the bench, he's as animated and jubilant as anyone during this post-season run. He' not sulking, there doesn't appear to be any intra-team chemistry problem going on. I don't think we've seen a fraction of what Pop can bring - even with a limited 3 game, which on its own hasn't been a knock out blow for others (Delon, PVD). Hopefully, Pop is just absorbing our complex system and we'll start to see him come into his own next season as the newbies figure out this isn't as simple as AAU ball. That would make some sense.

From my days of watching FB practice 3+ times a week, I learned there's always much more going on than we can see.

I *love* this run this team has made, how we were picked 7th and finished 3rd - against paid talent - and J-Bib was All-PAC12. But, there's also the gnawing issues with the size of LK's salary, and that while gymnastics is pulling 15,000, for basketball - the reason the building was built that size (in a different era, granted) - we saw a lot less than that for the big PAC-12 games, and had the drapes down for a couple of really good NIT games. Uncomfortable data points.

How much of us losing recruiting wars against U of Pay were because of money under the table, and how much was because word has gotten out that LK is tough to play for? Markennen's family in Finland probably didn't need money.

I read a whiff of a rumor that Tillman might be looking for another school. If *that* happens, it would suggest issues we really don't want to know about.

Every program is dealing with some doubts about their staffs that graduate transfers bring. Transfers of young players who bloom at other programs brings more scrutiny. Early in LK's tenure at Utah, we were just trying to upgrade talent. Sometimes off the court issues lurk, kids make errors in their original choices, etc.

Mawien is explained, wish the kid best, he definitely worked hard in the weight room. If Daniels *and* Popoola (theoretically) thrive at different schools, and we never get a serious shot at the PAC-12 championship, then questions arise.

Scratch
03-25-2018, 03:24 PM

No, Daniels was a bad egg all the way around. He had altercations (and I mean physical altercations) with several people. There were plenty of other significant behavioral issues as well. Devon leaving was all about Devon making significant bad choices and then refusing to start making good choices, despite being given lots of chances to do so. If Daniels were back this year, there are several players who wouldn't be because they (legitimately) had no desire to play on the same team as Daniels.

Ma'ake
03-25-2018, 03:59 PM
No, Daniels was a bad egg all the way around. He had altercations (and I mean physical altercations) with several people. There were plenty of other significant behavioral issues as well. Devon leaving was all about Devon making significant bad choices and then refusing to start making good choices, despite being given lots of chances to do so. If Daniels were back this year, there are several players who wouldn't be because they (legitimately) had no desire to play on the same team as Daniels.

Good info. No question the chemistry has been vastly improved this year. Have to give the credit to LK for cutting lose a talented player who had to go... and a big boost from Bibbins. When I heard this other viewpoint, it was so contrary to my understanding of things.

Everything I see from Popoola suggests he might amount to something, here. Definitely bought in, looks like a good teammate, working on his game, doesn't have much authority to really create... yet.

Scratch
03-25-2018, 04:07 PM
Good info. No question the chemistry has been vastly improved this year. Have to give the credit to LK for cutting lose a talented player who had to go... and a big boost from Bibbins. When I heard this other viewpoint, it was so contrary to my understanding of things.

Everything I see from Popoola suggests he might amount to something, here. Definitely bought in, looks like a good teammate, working on his game, doesn't have much authority to really create... yet.

I haven't heard anything negative about PoPoola regarding attitude or behavior, nor have I heard anything specific about him transferring, but didn't he transfer and play for like 3 or 4 different high schools (transferred from Vegas to Lone Peak and then back to Vegas, and maybe played for another as well)? If that's true then I would be a little nervous about whether he sticks around.

DrumNFeather
04-04-2018, 02:57 PM
From Jeff Goodman on the Twitter:

"Idaho State 7-foot grad transfer Novak Topalovic told ESPN he has heard from Utah, Oregon State, Colorado, USC, Nevada, Wake Forest, Santa Clara, Pepperdine, LMU, Cal State Fullerton and UC Santa Barbara."

LA Ute
04-04-2018, 03:05 PM
From Jeff Goodman on the Twitter:

"Idaho State 7-foot grad transfer Novak Topalovic told ESPN he has heard from Utah, Oregon State, Colorado, USC, Nevada, Wake Forest, Santa Clara, Pepperdine, LMU, Cal State Fullerton and UC Santa Barbara."

You spelled U$C wrong. :p

concerned
04-07-2018, 10:21 AM
good interview re Utah's incoming recruits

https://espn700sports.com/interviews/frank-burlison-west-coast-basketball-insider-4-6-18/

LA Ute
04-10-2018, 05:45 AM
Another Doutrive coming to the PAC-12. This one to...Arizona.

https://247sports.com/Article/Devonaire-Doutrive-commits-to-Arizona-117107720

Devonaire will be at AZ, Deschon Winston at Cal, and Devonte Doutrive at Utah. All three went to Birmingham High in Van Nuys, not far from my home. I used to drive by it on the way to work every day.

"The whole atmosphere," [Devonaire’s stepfather Laurian Watkins ] added about Arizona. "You can tell when you walk in there that it was a program of prestige and after meeting with the staff and counselors, it was something we could support as parents."

Doutrive, a standout at Van Nuys (Calif.) Birmingham, started an official visit with Arizona on Thursday. Doutrive informed the staff of his decision before he left campus.

"It seemed to fit his personality," Watkins said.

Watkins also noted that he's been impressed with Sean Miller, not only for how he recruited Doutrive, but for how he handled the drama surrounding Arizona during the season.

"Sean was just a straight forward guy," Watkins said. "He showed a lot of character. He handled the investigation stuff with class. It takes a lot to step away from the team, so you don’t create a further distraction, for someone to do that, it’s selfless. That’s what my boy are about, selfless, and that' how they play. They were so straight forward with us."

Barf.

UtahsMrSports
04-10-2018, 12:15 PM
Per Bill, Charles Jones has been named first team all-american NJCAA.

Utah
04-11-2018, 09:59 AM
When someone says Miller is a straightforward guy, I believe him.

Miller probably walks in, hands the kid a check, and says, “it is what it is.”

and if if that kid was mine, I’d take the check and ask where do I sign as a recruit.

UtahsMrSports
04-11-2018, 02:28 PM
Lahat Thioune implies on twitter that he has signed his letter of intent. Since this puts us over the scholarship limit, I am wondering if the athletic department will release a statement welcoming him and giving well wishes to the player(s) who will be transferring.

Dwight Schr-Ute
04-11-2018, 02:42 PM
Lahat Thioune implies on twitter that he has signed his letter of intent. Since this puts us over the scholarship limit, I am wondering if the athletic department will release a statement welcoming him and giving well wishes to the player(s) who will be transferring.

Enter updated My Cousin Vinny quote: "What the hell is a Utes?!"

Dwight Schr-Ute
04-11-2018, 02:46 PM

Utah makes it official.

LA Ute
04-11-2018, 03:02 PM
What's the story on Lahat? I can't find much about him. Is he another LK diamond in the rough?

In any case I hope someone can find a way to make a few sandwiches for him without violating NCAA rules. 6'11", 205 lbs. Wow.

Scorcho
04-11-2018, 03:35 PM
Utah makes it official.

so jealous you can link tweets

Dwight Schr-Ute
04-11-2018, 03:44 PM
so jealous you can link tweets

That's it. Where it gets a little glitchy, that you have to get used to is when you hit post, for whatever reason, the Tweet doesn't show up on your screen, but has been actually posted. Once you refresh the page, it then shows up.

U-Ute
04-11-2018, 04:15 PM
I'm actually somewhat surprised he ended up with us. Not sure why, but it seemed like someone would scoop us.

Old Standing ute
04-11-2018, 06:04 PM
He was heavily recruited by Louisville until they got sanctioned. Several of his teammates from 2 years ago went to UNLV—it was thought he would end up there.

DrumNFeather
04-13-2018, 01:44 PM
Jake Connor announces his commitment to Westminster.

Two Utes
04-13-2018, 01:47 PM
Jake Connor announces his commitment to Westminster.

Great news for him. Will be a really fun year.

Dwight Schr-Ute
04-13-2018, 07:58 PM
Seeley announces he’s out.

sancho
04-13-2018, 09:29 PM

Bummer.

UtahsMrSports
04-14-2018, 04:00 PM
Novak Topalovic is visiting this weekend. I think he would be a really nice addition.

LA Ute
04-14-2018, 10:23 PM
Novak Topalovic is visiting this weekend. I think he would be a really nice addition.

He’s a grad transfer, right? Kinda odd for a 7-footer to be in that situation. But I know little about him.

UtahsMrSports
04-15-2018, 09:02 AM
He’s a grad transfer, right? Kinda odd for a 7-footer to be in that situation. But I know little about him.

I think he wants to try his hand at something better than the big sky. His stats have been pretty consistent over the last two years and I think he would be a nice platoon partner with Jayce.

UTEopia
04-15-2018, 09:11 AM

Not that surprising. I would think he would go the JC route and play as a sophomore. I can't imagine he would want to sit another year.

UtahsMrSports
04-16-2018, 08:59 AM
Larry stopped by to visit top 100 2018 point guard James akinjo today. He was committed to uconn but was recently released from his LOI.

And he is now committed to Georgetown. I considered him a "Playing with house money" type recruit anyway.

Dwight Schr-Ute
04-16-2018, 09:27 AM
And he is now committed to Georgetown. I considered him a "Playing with house money" type recruit anyway.

Not a bad morning for Georgetown. And another name that Ute fans should recognize.

snafu
04-16-2018, 12:28 PM
I think he wants to try his hand at something better than the big sky. His stats have been pretty consistent over the last two years and I think he would be a nice platoon partner with Jayce.

Does chasing another big imply the staff doesn't expect Jayce to be able to step in as the main man next season? Or does it say more about Lahat's readiness for next season? Not sure what to read into this development.

sancho
04-16-2018, 12:55 PM
Does chasing another big imply the staff doesn't expect Jayce to be able to step in as the main man next season? Or does it say more about Lahat's readiness for next season? Not sure what to read into this development.

I think it just means we have very few bigs. It's just Johnson, Thioune, and Battin right now.

snafu
04-16-2018, 01:58 PM
I think it just means we have very few bigs. It's just Johnson, Thioune, and Battin right now.

Yeah, but this past season we went with only Johnson and Collette. Jokl doesn't really count. We didn't even use him. In this era of small ball, how many bigs do we need?

UtahsMrSports
04-16-2018, 02:33 PM
Yeah, but this past season we went with only Johnson and Collette. Jokl doesn't really count. We didn't even use him. In this era of small ball, how many bigs do we need?

Ive got to be honest and admit that i have not watched anything beyond a few highlights of this kid, but he seems to be not all that different from Jayce. I think that given Jayce's foul troubles and occasional ankle issues, it would be wise to have another reliable guy to police the lane.

sancho
04-16-2018, 03:03 PM
how many bigs do we need?

Even in this era, I'd say the answer is "as many as we can get." We had plenty of times this season where we were in trouble due to injury/foul trouble.

UBlender
04-16-2018, 04:00 PM

We ended up with Rawson playing the 5 quite a bit, Seeley some and I swear I recall Utah playing with Tillman as the tallest player at some point. So in other words, just because we left ourselves short on usable bigs last year doesn't mean we should repeat the mistake. I'd echo Mr's point about Jayce and issues with fouls and his ankles. You add this kid so that you have Jayce and Topalovic as your primary centers, Thioune mainly as a forward but swinging a little to center if needed (and ready) and Battin also there in case Lahat isn't ready. I think that's the right amount of players at that spot.

sancho
04-16-2018, 04:17 PM
Battin also there in case Lahat isn't ready.

I agree with your post, but I think these two names should be reversed. I'm pinning my hopes on Battin as a starter.

snafu
04-16-2018, 04:41 PM
Even in this era, I'd say the answer is "as many as we can get." We had plenty of times this season where we were in trouble due to injury/foul trouble.

Okay, but why this guy? He appears to be redundant to Jayce. He is not a 3-point threat and neither is Jayce. By comparison, Villanova won another championship using exactly one guy 6-9 or better, Omari Spellman. In fact, they don't have any guys bigger than 6-9 on their entire roster.

sancho
04-16-2018, 04:48 PM
Okay, but why this guy? He appears to be redundant to Jayce.

Why this guy? Cuz he's interested. I'm sure we'd prefer the highly regarded PG who just committed to Georgetown.

If he's meant to replace Jayce off the bench, it's good for him to have a similar game.

Villanova won another championship using exactly one guy 6-9 or better...In fact, they don't have any guys bigger than 6-9 on their entire roster.

How many of the sweet 16 teams had no one taller than 6'9" on the roster?

snafu
04-16-2018, 05:22 PM
If he's meant to replace Jayce off the bench, it's good for him to have a similar game.

Yeah, maybe 20 years ago that would have been good. Not now.

sancho
04-16-2018, 05:26 PM
Yeah, maybe 20 years ago that would have been good. Not now.

I think you are expecting too much out of April. We had a great recruiting season. If we get anything out of anyone we are about to grab, it's a bonus. To get another Jayce? We'd do cartwheels over that.

Dwight Schr-Ute
04-16-2018, 09:01 PM
Another big that visited over the weekend.

UBlender
04-16-2018, 09:43 PM
I agree with your post, but I think these two names should be reversed. I'm pinning my hopes on Battin as a starter.

To be clear, I expect more of Battin as a freshman overall, but I expect it to be at the 4 position primarily, maybe exclusively. If Lahat is ready to contribute my completely uneducated guess is that he'd get minutes at center before Battin does due to his length, but that Battin would get more total minutes overall. Clear as mud, right?

U-Ute
04-17-2018, 09:38 AM

26gspvTRJXosDwi1a

The kid is pretty polished.

UtahsMrSports
04-17-2018, 01:34 PM
Another big that visited over the weekend.

Brett went on to say that its down to us and Santa Clara. SC's advantages are that its where his family is from, and he knows he can get more time there. Advantages for the utes are that Larry is the coach and Pac-12 and all that.

Dwight Schr-Ute
04-17-2018, 03:24 PM
Big man.

sancho
04-17-2018, 03:40 PM
Big man.

Good. I know nothing about him, but it's not hard to believe that he's an upgrade over Jokl.

UtahsMrSports
04-17-2018, 03:41 PM
Terrific addition; we will need him for that big trip to cedar city this year.