PDA

View Full Version : The Basketball Offseason 2017 thread

UtahsMrSports
03-15-2017, 09:24 AM
Here sooner than I think we wanted, but here it is all the same. Here is a thread for everything going on, be it transfers, nba departures, commitments, coaching news.

Buckle up.

Utah
03-15-2017, 10:32 AM
I think it really comes down to this: Can Larry build on this year or is he going to be rebuilding after this year?

It sounds like Kuzma is gone. It sounds like he'd rather get paid in the NBA DL than not get paid. I think he'd be better off coming back, but I won't fault a kid for wanting to get paid.

What happens if Daniels leaves as well (I have no info on this, 100% stupid fan, message board speculation).

At some point, the "Larry is rebuilding this program from scratch" narrative needs to fade and we need to progress from season to season. Larry found a diamond in Wright and we got a little lucky with Poeltl and Cal firing their coach. Since then, we've been getting worse every year.

If we keep the team together, Kuzma and Daniels stay, then I'm really excited for next year. Then, we now have a foundation and are building for the future. We will be better and Larry is the guy for the job.

If we lose a bunch of starters, and are basically starting over with Tillman and Barefield next year...that will be disappointing. I'd bet his seat starts to heat up at that point.

Big summer for Larry and his perception of where the program is heading.

Larry has done so much right, but at the same time, he has the FBYU-P story, the bad OOC, the transfers, etc. If he wins, those aren't a big deal at all. If he can't make the tournament most years, then those become big red flags.

Anyways, my rambling thoughts.

snafu
03-15-2017, 10:41 AM
Yes, buckle up. This team had no chemistry, lacked heart and leadership. I am almost to the point where I expect another player exodus this offseason. Just reading between the lines, it doesn't sound like LK really liked this team.

justaute
03-15-2017, 11:19 AM
I think it really comes down to this: Can Larry build on this year or is he going to be rebuilding after this year?

It sounds like Kuzma is gone. It sounds like he'd rather get paid in the NBA DL than not get paid. I think he'd be better off coming back, but I won't fault a kid for wanting to get paid.

What happens if Daniels leaves as well (I have no info on this, 100% stupid fan, message board speculation).

At some point, the "Larry is rebuilding this program from scratch" narrative needs to fade and we need to progress from season to season. Larry found a diamond in Wright and we got a little lucky with Poeltl and Cal firing their coach. Since then, we've been getting worse every year.

If we keep the team together, Kuzma and Daniels stay, then I'm really excited for next year. Then, we now have a foundation and are building for the future. We will be better and Larry is the guy for the job.

If we lose a bunch of starters, and are basically starting over with Tillman and Barefield next year...that will be disappointing. I'd bet his seat starts to heat up at that point.

Big summer for Larry and his perception of where the program is heading.

Larry has done so much right, but at the same time, he has the FBYU-P story, the bad OOC, the transfers, etc. If he wins, those aren't a big deal at all. If he can't make the tournament most years, then those become big red flags.

Anyways, my rambling thoughts.

Agreed. All fair points.

Old Standing ute
03-15-2017, 11:56 AM
Yes, buckle up. This team had no chemistry, lacked heart and leadership. I am almost to the point where I expect another player exodus this offseason. Just reading between the lines, it doesn't sound like LK really liked this team.

the only senior was not a leader----low BB IQ. Down by 6 & about 1:45 left & he was walking it up the court.?

Reyes & Ogbe who left last year could play right away. Someone on this team will have to be really unhappy to sit out a year.
So I don't think anyone other than Jokl--who should go back home will transfer.
Daniels looked energized & into it last night---he should learn that he is not a great dunker. He & Seeley looked like they are good friends.
Jayce Johnson will improve a ton by next year--we could use him as rim protector.

they really need to find a shooter----Barefield & PVD need to step up in that area & they need to find someone else who can shoot.

snafu
03-15-2017, 12:57 PM
Jayce Johnson will improve a ton by next year--we could use him as rim protector.

they really need to find a shooter----Barefield & PVD need to step up in that area & they need to find someone else who can shoot.

This summer will be telling. I was hoping that the young guys would develop more. Guys like Johnson and Barefield were billed as 4 star kids and I hoped to see them establish themselves more then they did. I guess I am pretty down on this team right now. Losing Markannen was huge.

DrumNFeather
03-15-2017, 01:02 PM
Speaking of coaching news....Cuonzo Martin is reportedly mulling 3.5 Million reasons to go to Missouri.

concerned
03-15-2017, 01:56 PM
Speaking of coaching news....Cuonzo Martin is reportedly mulling 3.5 Million reasons to go to Missouri.

done deal

Old Standing ute
03-15-2017, 02:21 PM
Not sure Larry is a great game coach, but other than Miller & Altman--who else would you take from pac-12 over him?

Not Romar, Kent, Tinkle, Enfield--who Larry owns, Boyle --who has never beaten Larry-, Haase from Stanford, Alford.

Maybe Counzo--but only because he can recruit

maybe Hurley, but only because don't know what he can do.

Larry looking better when viewed in this group.

Scorcho
03-15-2017, 02:33 PM
Not sure Larry is a great game coach, but other than Miller & Altman--who else would you take from pac-12 over him?

Not Romar, Kent, Tinkle, Enfield--who Larry owns, Boyle --who has never beaten Larry-, Haase from Stanford, Alford.

good point, I think you could do the same exercise with Whitt.

justaute
03-15-2017, 03:00 PM
I'm curious to see how we play against OSU and USC. Both of those teams will be at full strength, have more experience, and have better recruits.

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-15-2017, 04:25 PM
Romar and Martin both got fired today. And by fired, I mean Martin took the Mizzu job.

SoCalPat
03-15-2017, 04:36 PM

Cuonzo can not only recruit, but he got his talent to defend. I'm glad he's out of this league.

Hurley's first true recruiting class is miles ahead of anything Larry's gotten.

Boyle got CU out of a 0-7 league hole and into the NIT.

I'm not gonna say we gotta get rid of Larry or that massive improvement is only a coaching change away, but I'm not gonna put false narratives out there about other coaches.

Utah
03-15-2017, 04:39 PM
Cuonzo can not only recruit, but he got his talent to defend. I'm glad he's out of this league.

Hurley's first true recruiting class is miles ahead of anything Larry's gotten.

Boyle got CU out of a 0-7 league hole and into the NIT.

I'm not gonna say we gotta get rid of Larry or that massive improvement is only a coaching change away, but I'm not gonna put false narratives out there about other coaches.

I
I think we are on the same page here. I like Larry, I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, but, he has some major red flags around him and he needs to start to figure his stuff out.

snafu
03-15-2017, 04:47 PM
Romar and Martin both got fired today. And by fired, I mean Martin took the Mizzu job.

Can we make room for Michael Porter?

concerned
03-15-2017, 06:54 PM
Can we make room for Michael Porter?

We had better hire michael porter senior as an asst. coach. That is what cuanzo martin is going to do at mizzou.

snafu
03-16-2017, 10:55 AM
Job openings:

Washington
CAL
Indiana
Illinois
LSU
NC State

Did I miss anyone?

Dwight Schr-Ute
06-09-2017, 09:36 AM
Xavier cancelled their game in the Huntsman Center. http://goxavier.com/news/2017/6/9/mens-basketball-first-part-of-non-conference-schedule-announced.aspx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scorcho
06-09-2017, 09:51 AM
Xavier cancelled their game in the Huntsman Center. http://goxavier.com/news/2017/6/9/mens-basketball-first-part-of-non-conference-schedule-announced.aspx

Hello Cardinal Stritch,

what you guys doing on 11/16?

sancho
06-09-2017, 10:14 AM

Booo!

DrumNFeather
06-09-2017, 10:21 AM

"We have communicated to the Utah staff our openness to play the game in the future."

They are probably just saying that to avoid an audit...

sancho
06-09-2017, 10:28 AM
Got a feeling our Nov/Dec schedule is going to be awful again.

concerned
06-09-2017, 10:31 AM
"We have communicated to the Utah staff our openness to play the game in the future."

They are probably just saying that to avoid an audit...

Did their coach pay the buyout personally?

DrumNFeather
06-09-2017, 11:16 AM
Got a feeling our Nov/Dec schedule is going to be awful again.

We should know fairly soon. Seems like other teams are putting their schedules out. When Chris Hill was interviewed not long ago by Bill Reilly, he made it sound like he allowed Larry some flexibility in last year's schedule as a one-off, so it will be very interesting to see what happens now. Granted, you've got Ole Miss, UNLV/Rice, USU, BYU, and Butler all lined up already, but still, need a decent home game or two.

U-Ute
06-09-2017, 12:39 PM
History has told me this is because they're scared of us. Right?

justaute
06-09-2017, 03:01 PM
History has told me this is because they're scared of us. Right?

I'm sure your comment is TIC. As of now, nobody should be scared of Utah basketball. LK is probably happy that our schedule is a bit easier without Xavier. :)

U-Ute
06-09-2017, 03:40 PM
I'm sure your comment is TIC. As of now, nobody should be scared of Utah basketball. LK is probably happy that our schedule is a bit easier without Xavier. :)

Yeah, I was taking a shot at the BYU reaction because there are many different reasons a school would cancel.

Utah
06-09-2017, 09:18 PM
OOC may not be great, but at least make it interesting. Get some MWC foes in. People we have history with.

sancho
06-13-2017, 08:15 AM
Expectations are pretty low:

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/06/13/college-hotline-revised-pac-12-basketball-projections-for-2017-18-arizona-tightens-its-grip-on-the-top-spot/

UtahsMrSports
06-13-2017, 08:26 AM
Expectations are pretty low:

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/06/13/college-hotline-revised-pac-12-basketball-projections-for-2017-18-arizona-tightens-its-grip-on-the-top-spot/

I'll believe ASU is 5th when I see it. I think he is fair to us. I think anywhere from 5th to 9th is where we will land. I may be one of the last ones, but I am still hoping that we can land an impact player or two.

sancho
06-13-2017, 10:45 AM
I'll believe ASU is 5th when I see it.

But who else can you pick there and feel good about?

DrumNFeather
06-13-2017, 01:07 PM
I'll believe ASU is 5th when I see it. I think he is fair to us. I think anywhere from 5th to 9th is where we will land. I may be one of the last ones, but I am still hoping that we can land an impact player or two.

The thing ASU has going for it is that folks seem to universally believe that Hurley's players play hard for him...that, with an influx of talent could get them to 5th, I suppose. Personally (get ready to check me into the crazy house) I think Oregon St. could make a leap like that, especially with so many unknowns among the middle of the pack squads.

USC at 2? I'll believe THAT when I see it.

Utah
06-13-2017, 01:24 PM
USC at 2? I'll believe THAT when I see it.

Ha ha. Is this the case that a football guy decided to write about basketball?

Scorcho
06-13-2017, 04:14 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DCLmCcTUIAIgF7o.jpg:large

Utah
06-13-2017, 05:42 PM
lol @ ASU

311ute
06-15-2017, 07:52 AM
Ha ha. Is this the case that a football guy decided to write about basketball?

USC is absolutely stacked and is a clear #2 in the conference next year. Will likely be pre-season top-10. They return their entire team from last year, which includes some very good players (Boatwright, Metu, McLaughlin, Stewart, Melton, Aaron, Matthews, Rakocevic), plus they add former Duke PG (and former 5* recruit) Derryck Thornton, a 5* freshman (Charles O'Bannon Jr), and two 4* freshman.

311ute
06-15-2017, 07:59 AM
ASU is ranked too high. Two teams I would keep an eye on are Stanford and OSU. Reid Travis might be the best player in the conference next year, and Stanford adds a very good recruiting class (including returning basically their entire team from last year). Plus, it appears that Haase can coach.

OSU (as long as Tinkle stays healthy) will make a seismic jump from last year... McLaughlin/Thompson/Tinkle/Eubanks is a very good foursome. Add Stevie Thompson's little brother who's a top-50 recruit and they'll be at the very least middle tier in the league.

I fully expect the top of the conference to be: Arizona, USC, UCLA, Oregon. The bottom will be: Wazzu, UW, Cal, CU. Then I think the middle tier will be a dog fight between Utah, Stanford, OSU, ASU.

I see the Pac-12 being a 4/5 bid league next year.

UBlender
06-15-2017, 10:45 AM
USC is absolutely stacked and is a clear #2 in the conference next year. Will likely be pre-season top-10. They return their entire team from last year, which includes some very good players (Boatwright, Metu, McLaughlin, Stewart, Melton, Aaron, Matthews, Rakocevic), plus they add former Duke PG (and former 5* recruit) Derryck Thornton, a 5* freshman (Charles O'Bannon Jr), and two 4* freshman.

USC is loaded and is a very clear #2 in terms of talent. I am not the least bit sold on Enfield as a coach so I still expect them to underwhelm until proven otherwise. They'll be very good and in a ton of games but not as many as they should and I will be keeping a close eye on them as a team that could be an early upset in the NCAA tournament.

Oregon will be interesting as they lose basically everyone that played. Seriously, is Pritchard their only rotation guy who came back or am I forgetting someone? I know they've got talent coming in but it's going to have to gel awfully quickly. The good thing for them is that Altman is a great coach who always seems to get the most out of his players. Three years ago they had a similar mass exodus (following the scandal) and were still very good the next year.

I've been following the NBA draft chatter lately and was thinking about how I like Derrick White and wouldn't mind the Jazz taking him. That got me to thinking about how fortunate CU is that he showed up and was so good. I think White really covered up how badly that program has derailed. It will be interesting to see if they get back on track anytime soon. They have almost no history of success prior to Boyle so I think they will be patient with him. It will probably help if the football program continues to win and keeps basketball under the radar a little bit.

It was always surprising to me that OSU was so awful even without Tinkle. They had talent to be better than they were. I wonder if having so many coaches' sons on the team is a detriment in the locker room.

I think Bobby Hurley is going to burn out spectacularly at ASU. It's going to be something to watch.

311ute
06-15-2017, 03:31 PM
Oregon will be interesting as they lose basically everyone that played. Seriously, is Pritchard their only rotation guy who came back or am I forgetting someone? I know they've got talent coming in but it's going to have to gel awfully quickly. The good thing for them is that Altman is a great coach who always seems to get the most out of his players. Three years ago they had a similar mass exodus (following the scandal) and were still very good the next year.

I've been following the NBA draft chatter lately and was thinking about how I like Derrick White and wouldn't mind the Jazz taking him. That got me to thinking about how fortunate CU is that he showed up and was so good. I think White really covered up how badly that program has derailed. It will be interesting to see if they get back on track anytime soon. They have almost no history of success prior to Boyle so I think they will be patient with him. It will probably help if the football program continues to win and keeps basketball under the radar a little bit.

Yes, I'm pretty much betting on Altman's coaching ability for putting them in the top 4 of the conference. You're right, they lose everyone except for Pritchard (who's a good, not great player). But they do bring in Troy Brown from Vegas (top-15 recruit), Elijah Brown from UNM (who will average 18 ppg next I'd bet), a solid transfer from Illinois St, and a few other nice recruits. Like you said, Altman's been here before and done just fine.

I think CU is in for a pretty bad year. Derrick White did A LOT for them last year. Plus they lose Xavier Johnson, Wesley Gordon, Josh Fortune, etc. They bring in a solid recruiting class (including an eligible transfer who many here will know... Namon Wright), but no one who will come close to replacing the production that White had. I'd be very surprised if CU has anything close to winning conference record next year.

SoCalPat
06-16-2017, 09:44 AM
USC is loaded and is a very clear #2 in terms of talent. I am not the least bit sold on Enfield as a coach so I still expect them to underwhelm until proven otherwise. They'll be very good and in a ton of games but not as many as they should and I will be keeping a close eye on them as a team that could be an early upset in the NCAA tournament.

Enfield has won more and lost less season over season all four years he's been at USC. He won two games in the Dance as an 11 seed last year. We all know what he did at FGCU. What's he gotta do ... make a Final Four?

Dwight Schr-Ute
06-16-2017, 10:15 AM
Utah replaces the Xavier home game with another home game of equal...

Mormon Red Death
06-16-2017, 10:28 AM
Utah replaces the Xavier home game with another home game of equal...

What does the tweet say?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Dwight Schr-Ute
06-16-2017, 11:06 AM
What does the tweet say?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170616/b4c6942f2e2107d332144acba3423d85.jpg

DrumNFeather
06-16-2017, 11:37 AM
Let's get to know the Northwestern State Demons:

2016-17 Record: 13-16, finished 10th in their league, but ended the season on a 3 game winning streak, beating New Orleans (eventual conference champ), Stephen F. Austin, and Central Arkansas, though they did not make their conference tournament. Their two top leading scorers were seniors, so they return one guy who averaged double figures and another guy who nearly averaged double figures. You are welcome to follow them on Twitter @NSUDemons

:D

Utah
06-16-2017, 03:03 PM
I don't know if I'm happy or sad about this. Another win, which like last year, we will need, but another game I'm home by 10.

It's too bad. I miss the rocking Huntsman Center.

Ma'ake
06-17-2017, 07:56 AM
This year's NBA draft is a crap shoot to predict, the mock drafts generally deviate starting with the 2nd pick.

But I've seen a couple of seemingly credible mock drafts having Kuzma going in the 1st round. One prediction had him going to the Lakers, after De'Aaron Fox is picked #2 by them. Another had Kuz getting picked before Frank Jackson.

Kuzma could be a pretty good "filler" type player - not going to dominate a game with his athleticism, but he can score, rebound and pass well enough to find a way to contribute off the bench. If he can find consistency in his long game, he could have a nice career.

I hope it happens, it would be great to see that skinny kid from Flint make his hometown and the Utes proud.

concerned
06-17-2017, 10:01 AM
This year's NBA draft is a crap shoot to predict, the mock drafts generally deviate starting with the 2nd pick.

But I've seen a couple of seemingly credible mock drafts having Kuzma going in the 1st round. One prediction had him going to the Lakers, after De'Aaron Fox is picked #2 by them. Another had Kuz getting picked before Frank Jackson.

Kuzma could be a pretty good "filler" type player - not going to dominate a game with his athleticism, but he can score, rebound and pass well enough to find a way to contribute off the bench. If he can find consistency in his long game, he could have a nice career.

I hope it happens, it would be great to see that skinny kid from Flint make his hometown and the Utes proud.

I posted a while ago, before the combine, that I would bet any amount of money that he does not go higher than 35. I would still make that bet.

Ma'ake
06-18-2017, 07:12 AM
I posted a while ago, before the combine, that I would bet any amount of money that he does not go higher than 35. I would still make that bet.

I'll bet you $20. Not because I think you're wrong. I certainly don't know, the mock drafts are all over the map.

My hunch/hope is based on a general tendency to underestimate the familiar. I don't think anyone would have guessed Jon Fanene would have gone from weed-wacker to most of a decade in the NFL. We all thought Steve Smith was talented, but crazy... certainly not a Hall of Fame level player. (Tons of other examples, both ways.)

Based on watching them play up close in Berkley, I would take Kuzma over Ivan Rabb. I think he's on the rise, I think he'll sneak into the 1st round.

If I'm wrong, I owe you $20. If I'm right, we all celebrate, no money involved.

I'm in.

UtahsMrSports
06-21-2017, 06:21 PM
According to Larry in his interview with Bill today the schedule will be out in the next couple of days and its 'top 25' tough.

mpfunk
06-21-2017, 06:56 PM
According to Larry in his interview with Bill today the schedule will be out in the next couple of days and its 'top 25' tough.
I'll believe it when I see it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

sancho
06-21-2017, 07:19 PM
I'll believe it when I see it.

Yeah, I think he's exaggerating. But that's fine. It doesn't have to be top 25 tough. It just has to be good. In fact, a top 25 schedule would probably sink this team.

SoCalPat
06-21-2017, 10:13 PM
Yeah, I think he's exaggerating. But that's fine. It doesn't have to be top 25 tough. It just has to be good. In fact, a top 25 schedule would probably sink this team.

Depends on which part of the schedule he's defining as "top 25 tough".

If it's the non-conference portion, he's delusional. Only one team with a top 25 non-con SOS per Pomeroy is from a power league (Florida). Almost all the others are from low-major leagues who never get more than 1 team in the Dance.

I suspect he means the schedule as a whole, and there things look more favorable. 19 of the top 25 overall schedules were from teams that made the NCAA Tournament, and all were from power leagues (Also, none of those 25 teams were from the Pac-12 -- the highest SOS for any Pac-12 team was Stanford at No. 41 -- Utah was No. 85 -- worst in the Pac-12).

Larry very well could be right when he says Utah has a top 25 schedule, but that's probably going to come in part from improved teams in the league (USC, Oregon State, Stanford, Arizona State), and possibly combined with the fact we don't get to play ourselves twice.

Also, Larry hinted in his radio interview that Bill Riley will like one of our matchups. Given Bill's connections to the Jayhawk State, that KU and K-State have already released their non-conference schedules while Wichita State has not, coupled with the fact that our last H-H with WSU was a win-win for both schools, I suspect another H-H has been inked with the Shox.

Dwight Schr-Ute
06-21-2017, 10:14 PM
SoCalPat thinks it's another home and home with the wheat shockers.

Edit: What ^he^ said.

DrumNFeather
06-22-2017, 01:43 PM
One theme I feel like I keep hearing between the lines when Larry speaks is that he didn't believe in the squad this year. Maybe it was his thyroid issue in the off-season, maybe the personalities didn't blend, etc. He just really seems exasperated when talking about last year's team. His tone with the 17-18 Runnin Utes seems totally different. Now, obviously, hope springs eternal, but I do think it is interesting to see that he is excited to see this group play together here in a few weeks in Europe. Every presser there towards the end and all interviews since he's kind of sounded like "oh, those guys, do we really need to talk about that still?" I don't know, maybe I'm inferring too much there.

When talking about the schedule, he mentioned the games we know about (the two in Vegas, @BYU, vs. USU, @Butler) and did mention a marquee home game, so it will be interesting to see how things look when the schedule comes out. With the teams already mentioned, it probably is better than last year...plus you'll probably add H/H with Arizona, USC, and UCLA as part of the rotation, so that will certainly add to the degree of difficulty.

Ma'ake
06-22-2017, 09:33 PM
Kuzma to the Lakers with the 27th pick!

Way to go, Kyle!

Way to go, Utes! 3 First Rounders in a row.

LA Ute
06-22-2017, 11:37 PM
Looks like I will get to see Kyle play in person right here in La La Land.

concerned
06-23-2017, 06:50 AM
Looks like I will get to see Kyle play in person right here in La La Land.

unless they move Randle or Ingraham, you wont see him much. And if they get PG . . .

sancho
06-23-2017, 08:28 AM
unless they move Randle or Ingraham, you wont see him much. And if they get PG . . .

Hey, you didn't think he would go in the first round (neither did I, of course). Maybe he will surprise again.

concerned
06-23-2017, 08:30 AM
Hey, you didn't think he would go in the first round (neither did I, of course). Maybe he will surprise again.

I hope so; and I suspect they drafted Kuzma so they can move Randle if they get PG.

Ma'ake--im ready to pay up.

Ma'ake
06-23-2017, 08:48 AM
I hope so; and I suspect they drafted Kuzma so they can move Randle if they get PG.

Ma'ake--im ready to pay up.

No money involved, brother. We get to celebrate three 1st rounders in 3 years.

I love Kuzma, but I don't think he'll become a starter anytime soon, if ever. Today's NBA is about having a bench that doesn't drop off, that produces when your starters are getting rested. Kuzma is a "fill the gaps" kind of player, not a guy who will take over a game in the 4th. If he can develop his outside J, he could have a decent career like Trevor Ariza. Pretty damn good for a skinny kid from Flint.

It's also telling that Kuz went before Ivan Rabb, Frank Jackson, Dillon Brooks, Jordan Bell, etc.

Just fulfill your potential, Kyle, you'll make us proud and have a respectable career.

Utah
06-23-2017, 10:20 AM
Ma'ake nailed it. Kuzma is looking to have a Greg Foster type career. 13-ish years, off the bench, can stretch the floor, rebound, play solid defense. Kuzma could have a really long career if he can find his niche and perfect it.

UtahsMrSports
06-23-2017, 10:21 AM
I think our streak ends after this year.

Bold prediction that I dont think is really all that bold: Jayce Johnson is our most likely player to be drafted at some point.

DrumNFeather
06-23-2017, 10:27 AM
I think our streak ends after this year.

Bold prediction that I dont think is really all that bold: Jayce Johnson is our most likely player to be drafted at some point.

Don't sleep on Bibbins...the next Isaiah Thomas!

U-Ute
06-23-2017, 02:28 PM
I guess this counts as declaring for the 2018 draft...?

sancho
06-26-2017, 12:42 PM
Home and home with Mizzou. Nov 16 in SLC.

DrumNFeather
06-26-2017, 12:49 PM
Home and home with Mizzou. Nov 16 in SLC.

And here I thought Larry and Cuanzo didn't like each other.

sancho
06-26-2017, 12:50 PM
...and the whole non-conf schedule:

http://utahutes.com/news/2017/6/26/mens-basketball-announces-non-conference-slate-for-2017-18-season.aspx

I guess a lot comes down to the bad teams. Are they RPI 150 bad or RPI 300 bad?

DrumNFeather
06-26-2017, 12:51 PM
...and the whole non-conf schedule:

http://utahutes.com/news/2017/6/26/mens-basketball-announces-non-conference-slate-for-2017-18-season.aspx

Beat me by that much...

sancho
06-26-2017, 01:00 PM
The RPI's from last season:

Prairie View A&M: 307
Miss Valley St: 333
Mizzou: 254
Ole Miss: 75
Rice/UNLV: 170/238
Eastern WA: 148
Hawaii: ?
Butler: 14
USU: 179
BYU: 66
Northwestern St: 308

I think we can hope for Mizzou and UNLV to be better than the 200's. If so, we could have 8/11 games better than 300.

Dwight Schr-Ute
06-26-2017, 01:13 PM
According to Bill Riley, the Pac-12 has told the conference no more non Division I games. Amen.

SoCalPat
06-26-2017, 04:49 PM
The RPI's from last season:

Prairie View A&M: 307
Miss Valley St: 333
Mizzou: 254
Ole Miss: 75
Rice/UNLV: 170/238
Eastern WA: 148
Hawaii: ?
Butler: 14
USU: 179
BYU: 66
Northwestern St: 308

I think we can hope for Mizzou and UNLV to be better than the 200's. If so, we could have 8/11 games better than 300.

Hawaii was 299 per realtimerpi.com. They should be better as well.

SoCalPat
06-26-2017, 05:03 PM
There are three games that are pure crap (PVAM, MVSU, NWSt.). There are two games, one of which is not a guarantee, that could really help us out (Missouri, UNLV). Utah State and Rice beat the hell out of two more 300-plus games, but both are neutral floor. It would help if both teams could flirt with the top 100. We can hope Hawaii is 100 spots better than last year and breaks into the top 200. BYU, Butler and Ole Miss would be great adds in any year.

The best part of the schedule is no non-D1 games. The worst part of the schedule is the home slate is worse than last year's, unless Mizzou and Michael Porter Jr. are immensely improved from Day 1. Good for us to get them in SLC this year. Hopeful this will be an ESPN/2 game.

UTEopia
06-26-2017, 05:49 PM
There are three games that are pure crap (PVAM, MVSU, NWSt.). There are two games, one of which is not a guarantee, that could really help us out (Missouri, UNLV). Utah State and Rice beat the hell out of two more 300-plus games, but both are neutral floor. It would help if both teams could flirt with the top 100. We can hope Hawaii is 100 spots better than last year and breaks into the top 200. BYU, Butler and Ole Miss would be great adds in any year.

The best part of the schedule is no non-D1 games. The worst part of the schedule is the home slate is worse than last year's, unless Mizzou and Michael Porter Jr. are immensely improved from Day 1. Good for us to get them in SLC this year. Hopeful this will be an ESPN/2 game.

I don't think this Utah team needs to worry about strength of schedule. I don't think the talent is there to make the NIT, let alone the NCAA.

SoCalPat
06-26-2017, 07:57 PM
I don't think this Utah team needs to worry about strength of schedule. I don't think the talent is there to make the NIT, let alone the NCAA.

This isn't football, where very little can be gained by putting a young/weak team against Alabama. Scheduling is just as much a part of player development as scrimmaging, film session and individual workouts. Part of the reason we are where we're at in terms of lousy scheduling is our coach thinks the same way you do. It's short-term thinking that's highly detrimental. And we don't get better as a result.

We saw how Kuzma's game got better leading up to the draft playing against better competition on a regular basis. Why is weak scheduling even defended any more?

UTEopia
06-26-2017, 09:07 PM
This isn't football, where very little can be gained by putting a young/weak team against Alabama. Scheduling is just as much a part of player development as scrimmaging, film session and individual workouts. Part of the reason we are where we're at in terms of lousy scheduling is our coach thinks the same way you do. It's short-term thinking that's highly detrimental. And we don't get better as a result.

We saw how Kuzma's game got better leading up to the draft playing against better competition on a regular basis. Why is weak scheduling even defended any more?

I never said weak scheduling is good. I don't believe that. I said I don't think we need to worry about strength of schedule because we have a team that will be lucky to get above .500 and does not need to worry about the strength of schedule in terms of the post season.

As far as Kuzma goes, I have a lot of questions about his improvement. First, I am happy for him. Playing against better competition might be part of it, but it is also possible that he worked harder to get drafted than he did in the previous 6 months. Maybe there was simply nobody on the roster to challenge him in practice and he knew it. I don't know what the answer is, but it is clear that he greatly outperformed his season in his combine and pre-draft workouts. None of the so-called experts had him as a first round selection and many had him as a borderline draft pick. Something changed for him and if I were the Utah coaches I would be trying to figure out what that was, because I don't think he played like a first round NBA draft pick most last season when he obviously had the talent and ability to do so.

sancho
06-26-2017, 09:36 PM
but it is clear that he greatly outperformed his season in his combine and pre-draft workouts. None of the so-called experts had him as a first round selection and many had him as a borderline draft pick. Something changed for him and if I were the Utah coaches I would be trying to figure out what that was, because I don't think he played like a first round NBA draft pick most last season when he obviously had the talent and ability to do so.

Again, he was a first team all-conference player, so it's not like he had a bad year.

Personally, I believe he got hot/lucky at the right time during the one combine game he played in. We've seen it with him multiple times - 3-4 three pointers in a row, and then he's back to a 30% shooter. I hope he's successful, but I think the Lakers allowed themselves to be wowed by one 20 minute stretch.

chrisrenrut
06-26-2017, 10:00 PM
Again, he was a first team all-conference player, so it's not like he had a bad year.

Personally, I believe he got hot/lucky at the right time during the one combine game he played in. We've seen it with him multiple times - 3-4 three pointers in a row, and then he's back to a 30% shooter. I hope he's successful, but I think the Lakers allowed themselves to be wowed by one 20 minute stretch.

He also did personal workouts for a bunch of teams. The 20 minute workout might have gotten buzz going about him, and I think he sealed it by showing the teams in person his skills and measurables against other top talent in those workouts.

Utah
06-26-2017, 10:34 PM
To be fair to Kuzma, he was slated as a second round pick before the season and started popping in every so often in the first round during the season.

Him being a late first rounder is no shocking surprise.

The question wasn't "would he get drafted?"

It was, "will he sneak into the first round?"

Only Utah fans are shocked he was drafted.

UTEopia
06-27-2017, 07:24 AM
To be fair to Kuzma, he was slated as a second round pick before the season and started popping in every so often in the first round during the season.

Him being a late first rounder is no shocking surprise.

The question wasn't "would he get drafted?"

It was, "will he sneak into the first round?"

Only Utah fans are shocked he was drafted.

I think you are wrong.

concerned
06-27-2017, 07:49 AM
I think you are wrong.

me too. I think Kuzma will come back to be the player we saw all winter.

Utah
06-27-2017, 09:26 AM
He was in mock drafts as a second rounder before the season started.

sancho
06-27-2017, 09:36 AM
He was in mock drafts as a second rounder before the season started.

True, but when he declared, the talk - not just locally - was whether or not he'd be drafted at all. No one thought about the first round until he went 5-5 in that combine scrimmage.

Obviously, if he can keep shooting like that, he will succeed. Based on what we know about him, however, I think his best chance at making it in the NBA is through his rebounding. That's always been his greatest strength. If it translates to the NBA, he'll be fine.

Utah
06-27-2017, 02:09 PM
My point was that NBA scouts have been watching him all year. He didn't sneak up on anyone. He's been on the NBA's radar all year.

He started popping up in the first round during the season.

Now, just because some local hack can't believe that Utah would be better than BYU and is too lazy to do some research...

DrumNFeather
06-27-2017, 03:15 PM
Listening to the Andy Hill interview on the Bill Reilly show...said we have one more game we could schedule, but at this point don't feel the need. Interesting. Why wouldn't you just see if you could add a SUU or someone?

sancho
06-27-2017, 06:15 PM
Why wouldn't you just see if you could add a SUU or someone?

Would that game do us more harm than good due to SOS?

DrumNFeather
06-27-2017, 06:48 PM
Would that game do us more harm than good due to SOS?
Probably. Just seems odd to have the option and say "nah, we're good."

Now, some teams play a non conference game during one of their bye days, and the league according to Hill won't release that schedule until September, so maybe they are waiting for that. That would assume a savvy scheduling philosophy.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

SoCalPat
06-27-2017, 10:03 PM
Listening to the Andy Hill interview on the Bill Reilly show...said we have one more game we could schedule, but at this point don't feel the need. Interesting. Why wouldn't you just see if you could add a SUU or someone?

This answers a question I wasn't altogether too sure of. You're allowed to take one exempt game and make it a maximum of three. Think Diamondhead last year. This year, we have only 11 non-conference games as opposed to 12 last year. Our Vegas games will only count for one, but we get two games out of it. If it's a 200-plus RPI team, yeah, we could schedule it. If it's a top 150, then we should schedule it.

My guess is Utah Valley will always make room on their schedule for us. Now you gotta weigh the merits.

SoCalPat
06-27-2017, 10:04 PM
Probably. Just seems odd to have the option and say "nah, we're good."

Now, some teams play a non conference game during one of their bye days, and the league according to Hill won't release that schedule until September, so maybe they are waiting for that. That would assume a savvy scheduling philosophy.

I would love to schedule UNM or Gonzaga on a Saturday night the week of the CU game, provided we get CU on a Wednesday.

DrumNFeather
06-29-2017, 12:11 PM
League pairings announced: http://pac-12.com/article/2017/06/28/pac-12-announces-2017-18-mens-basketball-weekly-pairings?utm_source=HootSuite&utm_medium=OwnedSocial&utm_campaign=Pac12Social

Utes will not go to NorCal and the Oregon Schools will not come to SLC.

Finish the season with three at home (USC, UCLA, CU)

concerned
06-29-2017, 12:35 PM
League pairings announced: http://pac-12.com/article/2017/06/28/pac-12-announces-2017-18-mens-basketball-weekly-pairings?utm_source=HootSuite&utm_medium=OwnedSocial&utm_campaign=Pac12Social

Utes will not go to NorCal and the Oregon Schools will not come to SLC.

Finish the season with three at home (USC, UCLA, CU)

That's too bad. Stanford Cal might be two winnable road games, despite last year.

justaute
06-29-2017, 12:44 PM
That's too bad. Stanford Cal might be two winnable road games, despite last year.

Wanna be the best, then we should play the best. Let's just see how LK is pulling it all together, or not. :)

Old Standing ute
06-29-2017, 04:30 PM
Wanna be the best, the we should play the best. Let's just see how LK is pulling it all together, or not. :)

Open at Oregon schools then home against AZ schools could be a tough start.

SoCalPat
07-01-2017, 10:53 AM
Open at Oregon schools then home against AZ schools could be a tough start.

I would be thrilled to be 2-2 after that stretch.

justaute
07-01-2017, 12:50 PM
Well, at least we'll get an inkling of what kind of team we might have.

DrumNFeather
07-09-2017, 05:07 PM
According to the Trib, the Utes are "exploring options" for that final non conference game.

Scorcho
07-12-2017, 04:13 PM
Alex Markham‏ @AMarkhamRivals (https://twitter.com/AMarkhamRivals)Follow

More

Multiple sources close to the Runnin' Utes have informed me that Gabe Bealer (who has had a great summer) had broken his 5th metatarsal...

:cry:

UtahsMrSports
07-14-2017, 09:31 AM
While we are on the subject of the schedule, there is this......

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/di-men-s-basketball-committee-redefines-quality-win

snafu
07-14-2017, 12:56 PM
Alex Markham‏ @AMarkhamRivals (https://twitter.com/AMarkhamRivals)Follow

More

Multiple sources close to the Runnin' Utes have informed me that Gabe Bealer (who has had a great summer) had broken his 5th metatarsal...

:cry:

@#$%$#@@#$%!!! This better be false

justaute
07-15-2017, 11:49 PM
Just from briefly browsing the interweb and fora of other schools, it seems as though USC is really picking up some steam on the BB front. I guess we'll see. As if contending with UA, UCLA, OSU, etc., isn't enough.

UTEopia
07-17-2017, 03:03 PM
Utes picked to finish 7th in early PAC 12 power rankings. I think we could finish anywhere from 5th to 12th based on the current roster.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/early-pac-12-power-rankings-allonzo-triers-return-gives-arizona-a-final-four-shot/

UTEopia
08-02-2017, 03:40 PM
Larry was interviewed on 700 and was about as upbeat as I can remember. He was really beat down by lost years squad and he sounds refreshed by the attitudes of the players. Still believes there is a chance to add a player - Matt Mitchell - although he did not say that. Good listen.

DrumNFeather
08-02-2017, 03:44 PM
Larry was interviewed on 700 and was about as upbeat as I can remember. He was really beat down by lost years squad and he sounds refreshed by the attitudes of the players. Still believes there is a chance to add a player - Matt Mitchell - although he did not say that. Good listen.

Agree. I don't know if he is trying harder to model behavior he wants his players to exhibit, but he certainly was as positive as we've heard him in quite some time. Talked a lot about non-basketball stuff, which was probably refreshing for him.

Diehard Ute
08-02-2017, 04:02 PM
Agree. I don't know if he is trying harder to model behavior he wants his players to exhibit, but he certainly was as positive as we've heard him in quite some time. Talked a lot about non-basketball stuff, which was probably refreshing for him.

He's also probably feeling better.

My wife had to have most of her thyroid removed (non cancerous thankfully). Having that surgery was difficult and still can be. The thyroid regulates so many things and getting your levels correct can take 1-2 years.

I don't know that we really understood just what Larry was dealing with since he kept the thyroid stuff pretty quiet.

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-02-2017, 04:31 PM

My wife had to have most of her thyroid removed (non cancerous thankfully). Having that surgery was difficult and still can be. The thyroid regulates so many things and getting your levels correct can take 1-2 years.

I don't know that we really understood just what Larry was dealing with since he kept the thyroid stuff pretty quiet.

Yes. Seems like Poeltl's last year, we heard about the sweet grass at some point every game. Don't remember a single reference to that or any of Larry's meditation/harmony quirks last season.

DrumNFeather
08-03-2017, 02:38 PM

The new beat writer for the Trib posted some videos today of him after practice. He looks better too...healthier, slimmer. I think you're absolutely right...that took a massive toll on him, as it would anyone.

DrumNFeather
08-07-2017, 11:56 AM
The Utes won their Euro tour opener today against the Catalan all stars 85-70. Haven't seen a full box score yet, but I believe Bibbins had 13 points in the second half, including 3 3's.

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-07-2017, 12:03 PM
The Utes won their Euro tour opener today against the Catalan all stars 85-70. Haven't seen a full box score yet, but I believe Bibbins had 13 points in the second half, including 3 3's.

Rawson leading all scorers?!

sancho
08-07-2017, 12:38 PM
Rawson leading all scorers?!

You remember the non-conf schedule last season, right? Rawson kills it against lesser competition. He's just not big/fast/strong/skilled enough for the Pac-12. Or at least he wasn't.

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-07-2017, 02:58 PM
A bit of a write up.

http://www.utahutes.com/news/2017/8/7/mens-basketball-runnin-utes-take-out-catalan-all-stars-85-70.aspx

UTEopia
08-07-2017, 03:40 PM
I saw a photo of the team eating a meal at a restaurant in Barcelona. It was disturbing to me that one table had all of the white guys and the other table had all of the black guys.

Old Standing ute
08-12-2017, 05:57 PM
They won 2 of 3 games.

Donnie Tillman getting lots of boards & points.
Barefield leading scorer.
Bibbins assists leader.

Not much mention of Seeley or Pop.

justaute
08-12-2017, 06:02 PM
meh...I wouldn't read too much into it. Many of the "black" players knew each other before the U (LV or Compton connection), so they may have a more developed friendship. Plus, it sure does not help when a team goes through as many player-turnovers as we do.

I saw a photo of the team eating a meal at a restaurant in Barcelona. It was disturbing to me that one table had all of the white guys and the other table had all of the black guys.

DrumNFeather
08-14-2017, 09:35 AM
With the Mitchell decision, the Runnin Utes look to be heading into the season with two slots available. Pretty amazing position for a P5 team to be in. How's that Grad transfer market looking these days?

DrumNFeather
08-18-2017, 02:03 PM
Larry was on with Gunther and Hacket and said that they hope to have Bealer back by November.

DrumNFeather
09-19-2017, 11:18 AM
Full BBall Schedule: http://www.utahutes.com/news/2017/9/19/mens-basketball-runnin-utes-announce-complete-2017-18-schedule.aspx

SoCalPat
09-22-2017, 10:08 AM
Full BBall Schedule: http://www.utahutes.com/news/2017/9/19/mens-basketball-runnin-utes-announce-complete-2017-18-schedule.aspx

This home schedule is pure crap. Michael Porter better lift Mizzou to another level. Thankfully, we get tons of tests away from home.

hostile
09-22-2017, 10:29 AM
This home schedule is pure crap. Michael Porter better lift Mizzou to another level. Thankfully, we get tons of tests away from home.
I'm thinking about heading to Vegas for the ole miss/unlv/rice tourney

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-03-2017, 08:09 PM
Some (mostly) off court footage from the Spain trip.

https://youtu.be/i9u2GyBtTas

U-Ute
10-04-2017, 08:40 AM
Some (mostly) off court footage from the Spain trip.

https://youtu.be/i9u2GyBtTas

Great find! This is awesome!

LA Ute
10-04-2017, 09:31 AM
I listened to Riley's interview of Larry from yesterday. LK sounds very high on the kids he has now.

Old Standing ute
10-04-2017, 03:54 PM
You have to love Larry K talking about Tom Petty & Pearl Jam. Holding a fundraiser where they watch the Pearl Jam movie & donate the money to Huntsman Cancer.

He is a no BS person. Great guy to talk with if you ever get the chance.

UBlender
10-04-2017, 04:27 PM
I listened to Riley's interview of Larry from yesterday. LK sounds very high on the kids he has now.

Twice now in interviews Larry has brought up Kobe Caldwell, a guard with unimpressive JC stats who quietly signed in August after our long recruitment of Matt Mitchell ended with him going to San Diego State. I had assumed that Caldwell was just a scholarship filler who would be gone soon. That may still be the case but I'm a little intrigued to see where this goes. With Utah having a nice recruiting class coming in and still recruiting some players on this year's team are going to be playing for their job next year (probably a couple are playing for their scholarship).

U-Ute
10-04-2017, 05:13 PM

Was that the interview where he said someone offered him $100k for Kuzma? That's a wild story.

Diehard Ute
10-04-2017, 05:22 PM
Was that the interview where he said someone offered him $100k for Kuzma? That's a wild story.

If I got the story right they wanted the U to give them $100,000 to get Kuzma when we were recruiting him. ($50,000 for the official visit and $50,000 to get him to sign)

It was Kuz prep school that wanted it. The U told Kyle and the NCAA.

Kyle and his guardian ended up coming on an unofficial visit and committed. (The prep school was refusing to send a transcript, which was required for an official visit).

The prep school is still operating.

https://espn700sports.com/interviews/larry-krystkowiak-reveals-kyle-kuzmas-prep-school-asking-for-money-from-utah-for-his-visit/

LA Ute
10-04-2017, 06:25 PM
Twice now in interviews Larry has brought up Kobe Caldwell, a guard with unimpressive JC stats who quietly signed in August after our long recruitment of Matt Mitchell ended with him going to San Diego State. I had assumed that Caldwell was just a scholarship filler who would be gone soon. That may still be the case but I'm a little intrigued to see where this goes. With Utah having a nice recruiting class coming in and still recruiting some players on this year's team are going to be playing for their job next year (probably a couple are playing for their scholarship).

Maybe he's found a diamond in the rough....

Mormon Red Death
10-06-2017, 12:45 PM

check your boardmails

sancho
10-12-2017, 09:13 AM

snafu
10-12-2017, 10:59 AM
So the media has us finishing 7th in the conference this year. That's cute.

snafu
10-12-2017, 01:51 PM
Runnin' Utes like the number 7

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865690888/Utah-mens-basketball-picked-to-finish-7th-in-Pac-12.html (https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865690888/Utah-mens-basketball-picked-to-finish-7th-in-Pac-12.html)

SeattleUte
10-16-2017, 12:10 PM
I'm stunned they have us 7th. I'd think lower than that. Connotes some respect for LK.

sancho
10-16-2017, 01:22 PM
I'm stunned they have us 7th. I'd think lower than that. Connotes some respect for LK.

I agree. The roster looks like worse than 7th. But the future's bright!

snafu
10-16-2017, 03:14 PM

Sure. Along with the 8th we got last year. Lots of respect there.

Diehard Ute
10-16-2017, 03:27 PM
Sort of related. They’re testing the new scoreboard at the JMHC

https://twitter.com/anc_pr/status/920010921111638021

U-Ute
10-17-2017, 09:54 AM
Sort of related. They’re testing the new scoreboard at the JMHC

https://twitter.com/anc_pr/status/920010921111638021

Thats gorgeous!

Diehard Ute
10-17-2017, 02:40 PM

Thats gorgeous!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171017/d8dd8f06fd9747b76a14bd47102a4fb1.jpg

Here it is completed. You can see two of the new courtside screens too. The upper bowl screens aren’t turned on in this pic.

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-20-2017, 08:02 AM
Apparently the team has a secret match up with Saint Mary’s tomorrow night. I’m not sure how much info comes out of these things, but that’s one of the better out of conference games we have lined up for the season. Nice test. (I don’t except us to do well.)

sancho
10-20-2017, 09:08 AM
Looking over the roster, I see one PG (Bibbins). I expect Barefield to play PG when Bibbins is on the bench.

For pure SG, we have Barefield, PVD, and Popoola.

A couple of 2/3 tweeners, or guys that could play in a 3-guard lineup: Bealer, Caldwell.

SF: Seeley

PF: Tillman, Rawson. I know Rawson is the projected starter here, but I think (hope?) that Tillman can get that job.

C: Collette, Johnson, Jokl. I also hope we can see Collette/Johnson on the floor at the same time.

My starting five: Bibbins, Barefield, Bealer (killer B's), Tillman, Collette.

Go big: Bibbins, Bealer, Tillman, Collette, Johnson.

Green light from outside: Bibbins, Barefield, Bealer, PVD, Rawson and .....? Not sure about Popoola/Caldwell/Seeley.

Hopefully, either Popoola or Caldwell is good enough to push PVD for minutes.

Diehard Ute
10-20-2017, 09:20 AM
Looking over the roster, I see one PG (Bibbins). I expect Barefield to play PG when Bibbins is on the bench.

A handful of 2/3 tweeners, or guys that could play in a 3-guard lineup: Bealer, Caldwell, Doutrive.

PF: Tillman, Rawson. I know Rawson is the projected starter here, but I think (hope?) that Tillman can get that job.

C: Collette, Johnson, Jokl. I also hope we can see Collette/Johnson on the floor at the same time.

Green light from outside: Bibbins, Barefield, Bealer, PVD, Rawson and .....? Not sure about Doutrive/Popoola/Caldwell/Seeley.

Hopefully, some subset of the Doutrive, Popoola, Caldwell trio is good enough to push PVD for minutes.

Doutrive is not eligible to play this year.

UtahsMrSports
10-20-2017, 09:26 AM

A handful of 2/3 tweeners, or guys that could play in a 3-guard lineup: Bealer, Caldwell, Doutrive.

Green light from outside: Bibbins, Barefield, Bealer, PVD, Rawson and .....? Not sure about Doutrive/Popoola/Caldwell/Seeley.

Hopefully, some subset of the Doutrive, Popoola, Caldwell trio is good enough to push PVD for minutes.

I think Caldwell will get a look at PG, but I believe you are right. When Bibbins isn't in, I would expect Barefield to take that role. I would throw pop into that group that can play 2/3. But I read some on here who feel like he is probably a year away.

I think Tillman and Seeley should be flipped on your depth chart.

UtahsMrSports
10-20-2017, 09:29 AM
My way too early attempt at a depth chart

1-Bibbins, Caldwell
2-Barefield, PVD
3-Bealer, Tillman
4-Rawson, Seeley
5-Collette, Johnson

With Pop being able to play 1-3 and Jokl being the emergency/garbage time/foul trouble big.

DrumNFeather
10-20-2017, 09:36 AM
My way too early attempt at a depth chart

1-Bibbins, Caldwell
2-Barefield, PVD
3-Bealer, Tillman
4-Rawson, Seeley
5-Collette, Johnson

With Pop being able to play 1-3 and Jokl being the emergency/garbage time/foul trouble big.

You watch....Jokl is going to emerge as our Point-Center, and you'll be eating crow! :D

sancho
10-20-2017, 09:40 AM
Doutrive is not eligible to play this year.

Thanks. I'll edit my post.

sancho
10-20-2017, 09:41 AM
I think Tillman and Seeley should be flipped on your depth chart.

I'm not sure why, but I'm putting a lot of hope into Tillman as a rebounder. That is one of many areas we will really miss Kuzma.

DrumNFeather
10-25-2017, 01:22 PM
This guy ranks all 351 D1 teams: https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/ranking-all-351-college-basketball-teams-from-duke-to-alabama-a-m/

Utah comes in at #71:

Well-coached team that runs some fun stuff. I don't think Larry Krystkowiak's got the guys this season, though. At least, not enough to compete atop the Pac-12. David Collette's the name to know up front.

Some of our non conf opponents this year:

37 - Mizzou
54 - Butler
62- BYU
88 - Ole Miss
148 - UNLV/303 - Rice
171 - USU
249 - EWU
255 - Hawaii

snafu
11-02-2017, 11:21 AM
Please! Please! Please! Can we just knock off the Ducks this year? Is that too much to ask?

justaute
11-02-2017, 11:40 AM
Yes. Yes, it is. As painful as it is for me to feel this way, Oregon has the athletes and coaching. LK, please prove me wrong. :)

Please! Please! Please! Can we just knock off the Ducks this year? Is that too much to ask?

hostile
11-07-2017, 10:46 PM
LiAngelo Ball and 2 other UCLA freshmen arrested for shoplifting in China prior to their season opener against Ga Tech

U-Ute
11-08-2017, 08:38 AM
LiAngelo Ball and 2 other UCLA freshmen arrested for shoplifting in China prior to their season opener against Ga Tech

As we know from every thriller involving committing a crime on foreign soil: if you're going to get caught with a minor infraction, China is the best place to do it. Followed closely by North Korea.

Rocker Ute
11-08-2017, 09:29 AM
As we know from every thriller involving committing a crime on foreign soil: if you're going to get caught with a minor infraction, China is the best place to do it. Followed closely by North Korea.

It boggles the mind to think that this has happened. Who knows, but I sure hope they took ample time to explain repeatedly to these kids, "Look, if you commit a crime here you will be in serious, serious trouble that we may not be able to help you with." There is a very real chance those guys could get locked up for 3 years, or even some portion of time. It is even probable that they won't be allowed to leave the country until this is resolved.

Applejack
11-08-2017, 09:42 AM
It boggles the mind to think that this has happened. Who knows, but I sure hope they took ample time to explain repeatedly to these kids, "Look, if you commit a crime here you will be in serious, serious trouble that we may not be able to help you with." There is a very real chance those guys could get locked up for 3 years, or even some portion of time. It is even probable that they won't be allowed to leave the country until this is resolved.

Already been released.

UTEopia
11-08-2017, 10:06 AM
Already been released.

The bail must have been something like 25% of the Big Baller brand and exclusive product manufacturing rights.

Rocker Ute
11-08-2017, 10:27 AM
Already been released.

So they can leave the country?

Applejack
11-08-2017, 10:32 AM
The bail must have been something like 25% of the Big Baller brand and exclusive product manufacturing rights.

That's like a thousand bucks!!!

justaute
11-08-2017, 10:58 AM
Public caning should have taken place.

Diehard Ute
11-08-2017, 02:38 PM
That's like a thousand bucks!!!

Pretty sure that would mean China owes BBB money.

Rocker Ute
11-08-2017, 02:57 PM
Looks like they are being detained in China for at least a month:

https://scout.com/college/ucla/Article/Charged-UCLA-Players-Wont-Come-Home-With-the-Team-110144783

Yikes.

Diehard Ute
11-08-2017, 03:06 PM
Looks like they are being detained in China for at least a month:

https://scout.com/college/ucla/Article/Charged-UCLA-Players-Wont-Come-Home-With-the-Team-110144783

Yikes.

Seems everything is speculation.

The LA Times reported China has 37 days to decide whether to officially arrest them.

If they do arrest them, China has 2 months to file formal charges.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-ucla-ball-china-20171108-story.html

NorthwestUteFan
11-08-2017, 03:08 PM
Already been released.Extraordinarily lucky. They picked a great time to be stupid.

Diehard Ute
11-08-2017, 03:18 PM
Extraordinarily lucky. They picked a great time to be stupid.

They haven’t been released. They’re on “house arrest” in the hotel UCLA was staying at....but UCLA’s Team isn’t even in the same city now.

snafu
11-08-2017, 05:58 PM
Some mild amusement for the board.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/photos/where-every-college-basketball-team-ranks-in-each-state/45/

He mentions Kuzma leaving but no mention of Mika leaving. Hmmm.

U-Ute
11-09-2017, 08:32 AM
LiAngelo's updated stat line for the season:

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-09-2017, 08:57 AM
LiAngelo's updated stat line for the season:

sancho
11-16-2017, 06:57 PM
Utes lookin' good. Or Mizzou looking awful. Some combination of the two, I suppose.

sancho
12-05-2017, 08:28 AM
Butler has lost to Maryland and Texas and has wins against Ohio State, Princeton, and St Louis (a blowout).

Here's Butler's team stats to date:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/2086

The only player over 6'8" getting minutes is Nate Fowler, getting 18 minutes per game. There are no shot blockers. You'd think this bodes well for Collette, but I remember thinking that last year as well. Sean McDermott (out with sprained ankle?) is the best shooter. Jorgenson shoots 36% outside. Their scoring is balanced like ours.