03-15-2017, 03:57 PM
Just something to get you ready.

0WzmQmz9Kdc

SheeeeeUTE
03-16-2017, 08:57 AM
That was awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Scorcho
03-16-2017, 10:29 AM
Utes made $22k per year ($265k/12) for the next 5 years with USC winning last night

Just another reason to live vicariously through the Ducks, Cats, Bruins and Trojans over the next few days (if you can stomach it).

U-Ute
03-16-2017, 11:23 AM
I picked all 12's over 5's this year.

Because...well, why not.

U-Ute
03-17-2017, 03:57 PM
The perfect anti-bracket.

Bracket McBrackettface (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/worst-bracket-ever-one-entry-went-0-for-16-on-thursday-054707356.html)

Thousands of perfect entries still remain in the Yahoo Sports Tourney Pick’Em contest after a first day that saw 14 of the 16 games won by the lower seed.

But only one entry stands alone as being uniquely terrible.

Of all the entries that picked results for all 63 games, only one bracket went 0-for-16 on Thursday. That would be “Bracket McBracketface,” a user who adopted a bold and chaotic strategy that included picking all four No. 16 seeds to win their first-round games.

justaute
03-18-2017, 05:51 PM
Just watched the Wisconsin/Nova and Gonzaga/NW games today. I am envious of those programs -- even of North Dakota. Athleticism. BB IQ. Terrifically played games. Will be really interesting to see what Collins does with Northwestern going forward.

sancho
03-20-2017, 10:27 AM
Worst tournament ever?

1. No Utah
2. No memorable upsets
3. No game-winning buzzer beaters
4. No overtime games
5. Multiple games marred by horrible late calls
6. Only one true upset in the first round (Middle Tennessee State)
7. Closest thing to a Cinderella (Xavier) was a 2-seed just a year ago
8. Duke gone early
9. UNC, Gonzaga, and Oregon survive games they could/should have lost
10. Oregon, UCLA, and Zona all in the sweet 16

Starting with the championship game last year, sports has given us its best year of drama ever. I think we are now in for a year of famine.

concerned
03-20-2017, 10:32 AM
Worst tournament ever?

1. No Utah
2. No memorable upsets
3. No game-winning buzzer beaters
4. No overtime games
5. Multiple games marred by horrible late calls
6. Only one true upset in the first round (Middle Tennessee State)
7. Closest thing to a Cinderella (Xavier) was a 2-seed just a year ago
8. Duke gone early
9. UNC, Gonzaga, and Oregon survive games they could/should have lost
10. Oregon, UCLA, and Zona all in the sweet 16

Starting with the championship game last year, sports has given us its best year of drama ever. I think we are now in for a year of famine.

On the other hand, there is nothing that restores your faith in mankind quite like Duke going out early.

BTW, on Dan Patrick this am they were saying that Duke's Achilles heel all year has been its guard play. I haven't watch Duke much, but last night Frank Jackson seemed pretty good, but nothing like the other freshman guards who are going in the draft.

sancho
03-20-2017, 10:42 AM
BTW, on Dan Patrick this am they were saying that Duke's Achilles heel all year has been its guard play. I haven't watch Duke much, but last night Frank Jackson seemed pretty good, but nothing like the other freshman guards who are going in the draft.

I have watched Duke all season. Frank has been terrific. The only other freshman guards I've seen are Ball and Fultz, and they are both better of course. Frank can shoot and can finish at the rim. He's had to play PG all season, and that may not be his natural position.

U-Ute
03-20-2017, 10:50 AM
After Villanova, Louisville, and Duke, how many of your Final Fours do you have left?

Me: THEM, Arizona, and Kansas.

concerned
03-20-2017, 11:07 AM
I have watched Duke all season. Frank has been terrific. The only other freshman guards I've seen are Ball and Fultz, and they are both better of course. Frank can shoot and can finish at the rim. He's had to play PG all season, and that may not be his natural position.

Malik Monk is better too, as are De'aaron Fox and Dennis Smith. I would bet he is too short to play shooting guard these days; will have to play the point as a pro

Utah
03-20-2017, 11:17 AM

Chad Ford was on some local show the other day. He said Frank's problem is that he is a SG in a PG's body. He thinks Jackson should go back to Duke for another year, play PG full time and that could really improve his draft status if he can show he can lead a team.

As far as Kuzma goes, he said that it wouldn't help Kuzma to come back to Utah at all. He is a second round player, this year or next. He said that he'd enter the draft, see what he is told and then decide if what he hears is to his liking or if he'd rather play college ball another year.

sancho
03-20-2017, 11:25 AM
Malik Monk is better too, as are De'aaron Fox and Dennis Smith. I would bet he is too short to play shooting guard these days; will have to play the point as a pro

Oh, yeah. I was just referencing the guys I've seen play a lot. I haven't seen much of Monk and Fox. I haven't seen Smith at all.

I'm sure you are right. Probably good for him to learn the PG position at Duke.

sancho
03-23-2017, 03:41 PM
Here we go!

Tonight's games:

Michigan vs Oregon. Hail to the victors. What's bad for Oregon is good for Utah. Plus, who doesn't want to see Brooks' sad face tonight?

WVU vs Gonzaga. Go Huggy. Again, what's bad for Gonzaga is good for Utah. Plus, I am sick of Gonzaga blowing it every year against BYU.

Purdue vs Kansas. Biggie. Purdue Pete. Go 'makers.

Xavier vs Arizona. I question the heart of any Ute fan who can root for Arizona. X-men make lousy movies and good basketball.

Hayes6
03-23-2017, 04:54 PM
Here we go!

Tonight's games:

Michigan vs Oregon. Hail to the victors. What's bad for Oregon is good for Utah. Plus, who doesn't want to see Brooks' sad face tonight?

WVU vs Gonzaga. Go Huggy. Again, what's bad for Gonzaga is good for Utah. Plus, I am sick of Gonzaga blowing it every year against BYU.

Purdue vs Kansas. Biggie. Purdue Pete. Go 'makers.

Xavier vs Arizona. I question the heart of any Ute fan who can root for Arizona. X-men make lousy movies and good basketball.

I root for all Pac 12 teams in the postseason. I question the sanity of any Ute fan who doesn't. We want the other teams in our league to be good. We get better recurits, better coaches, better everything if we are in a league that is successful in the postseason. Plus I get to know and like players on the other teams. After watching Arizona play five times in just over a week, I've come to respect their coach and root for their players. I want to kick their butts every time we play them, but if they can make it to the Final Four, it helps us.

sancho
03-23-2017, 06:36 PM
I root for all Pac 12 teams in the postseason. I question the sanity of any Ute fan who doesn't. We want the other teams in our league to be good. We get better recurits, better coaches, better everything if we are in a league that is successful in the postseason. Plus I get to know and like players on the other teams. After watching Arizona play five times in just over a week, I've come to respect their coach and root for their players. I want to kick their butts every time we play them, but if they can make it to the Final Four, it helps us.

This is not true. Arizona getting to the final four helps Arizona a lot. It only hurts Utah. Conference play and recruiting is closer to a zero sum game than a cooperative effort.

You think the rest of the ACC is pulling for unc?

sancho
03-23-2017, 08:04 PM
oh man, the officiating in this tournament has been soooo bad

sancho
03-23-2017, 08:16 PM
So, Arizona vs Gonzaga. One coach gets to shed his "can't get to the final four" image.

concerned
03-23-2017, 08:22 PM
So, Arizona vs Gonzaga. One coach gets to shed his "can't get to the final four" image.

Does Gonzaga look like a ff team? If WVU could have shot even 30% it would have won.

sancho
03-23-2017, 08:39 PM
Does Gonzaga look like a ff team? If WVU could have shot even 30% it would have won.

What matters is that they are still alive, but they have not looked good yet in this tournament. Loved that FT airball.

If there are going to be 60 fouls called in a game, WVU is not going to win. Pressing teams need a bit of leeway.

Meanwhile, Oregon once again lets a lesser team hang but still pulls it out.

mUUser
03-23-2017, 08:40 PM
oh man, the officiating in this tournament has been soooo bad

Officiating at every level has made basketball nearly unwatchable. The style of play plus the officiating in the pros doesn't even resemble basketball anymore. The college game will be the next one to go for me.

sancho
03-23-2017, 09:58 PM
Officiating at every level has made basketball nearly unwatchable. The style of play plus the officiating in the pros doesn't even resemble basketball anymore. The college game will be the next one to go for me.

It's a tragic, serious flaw with the sport. No sport is perfect, though. I'll take the bad with the good. I wish this tournament would give us some of the good.

LA Ute
03-23-2017, 10:05 PM
It's a tragic, serious flaw with the sport. No sport is perfect, though. I'll take the bad with the good. I wish this tournament would give us some of the good.

"This game is impossible to officiate."

-- Rick Majerus

sancho
03-23-2017, 10:48 PM

Check that. Oops

Pretty sweet for Xavier. And gonzaga.

concerned
03-23-2017, 11:07 PM
Miller getting brutalized on twitter for misusing Markenen all game and esp. Down the stretch. All least he got to go against better players in practice than if he had come here. So there is that.

sancho
03-23-2017, 11:19 PM
Miller getting brutalized on twitter for misusing Markenen all game and esp. Down the stretch. All least he got to go against better players in practice than if he had come here. So there is that.

Hee hee. The first good result of this dang tournament.

I'm sure those workouts against Ristic and Commanche will have him ready to guard Anthony Davis next year.

Scorcho
03-24-2017, 08:22 AM

no doubt Miller collapses in big games. Considering they are getting a top 5 recruiting class every year you would think at least a couple of those would result in a final four. I predict if UA doesn't get it done next year Miller is gone. He might have been let go this year, but they just hired a new AD a month ago.

justaute
03-24-2017, 08:30 AM
no doubt Miller collapses in big games. Considering they are getting a top 5 recruiting class every year you would think at least a couple of those would result in a final four. I predict if UA doesn't get it done next year Miller is gone. He might have been let go this year, but they just hired a new AD a month ago.

Did Miller misuse Markkanen or did Markkanen just disappear?

Had he come to Utah, I'm not sure our guards/wings can get him the ball. :)

sancho
03-24-2017, 08:38 AM
I predict if UA doesn't get it done next year Miller is gone. He might have been let go this year, but they just hired a new AD a month ago.

You are more in tune with that can base than I am, but that sounds crazy.

Utebiquitous
03-24-2017, 08:54 AM
I'm with you Sancho. I can't believe they'll let Miller go - four Sweet 16s out of the last five. No question last night was a huge collapse. I couldn't believe Trier was allowed to dribble away clock and then just jack a shot on three of their last four possessions. Markannen did not touch the ball on any of them - even out of the timeout when they went to Krstic. Horrible coaching or seemingly no coaching down the stretch.

U-Ute
03-24-2017, 09:13 AM
Much like a BYU football season, my March Madness bracket started out with so much hope only to end in a, well, like a BYU football season.

Scorcho
03-24-2017, 09:17 AM
You are more in tune with that can base than I am, but that sounds crazy.

Arizona fans expectations are out of whack. They believe their program should be the equivalent of a Kansas, Duke, UNC when in actuality they more closely mirror programs like Gonzaga, Wichita St, Xavier.

Miller is wearing thin with Wildcat fans, he's been good but not great. He is Bronco Mendenhallesque.

Some will disagree, but I think Utah fans have had to come to terms with reality and ratchet down expectations after the Majerus years, at least I have (just my opinion).

Utah
03-24-2017, 09:42 AM
I'm with you Sancho. I can't believe they'll let Miller go - four Sweet 16s out of the last five. No question last night was a huge collapse. I couldn't believe Trier was allowed to dribble away clock and then just jack a shot on three of their last four possessions. Markannen did not touch the ball on any of them - even out of the timeout when they went to Krstic. Horrible coaching or seemingly no coaching down the stretch.

Thisis
This is what I haven't gotten out of Arizona all year long. Krstic is their first option on offense. Markannen is clearly the better player, yet, they focus on Krstic.

Hayes6
03-24-2017, 09:43 AM
This is not true. Arizona getting to the final four helps Arizona a lot. It only hurts Utah. Conference play and recruiting is closer to a zero sum game than a cooperative effort.

You think the rest of the ACC is pulling for unc?

By that logic, we would be better off in the MWC or the WCC playing crap teams. We are far better off in a highly competitive and successful league. Yes Arizona has beat us for a couple of players the last two years, but do you think we would have had a better shot at them if we were still a mid major? But you be you, man. You want to hate on our Pac bros, go right ahead.

Utah
03-24-2017, 09:49 AM
Much like a BYU football season, my March Madness bracket started out with so much hope only to end in a, well, like a BYU football season.

I
I was in the 99% until Arizona lost...boohoo for me.

U-Ute
03-24-2017, 09:52 AM
I
I was in the 99% until Arizona lost...boohoo for me.

Me too. Another reason to hate Arizona

Utah
03-24-2017, 09:58 AM
Me too. Another reason to hate Arizona

Yes!
I love it. My hatred has grown....

sancho
03-24-2017, 10:50 AM
Horrible coaching or seemingly no coaching down the stretch.

We learn over and over again that college basketball players - even good ones with good coaches - are not yet good at end-game decision making. We often complain about this with Larry, but it's not just Larry; it's everyone. Except Dillon Brooks.

concerned
03-24-2017, 10:59 AM
this surprises me. I thought no way.

Dan Patrick Show‏Verified account @dpshow (https://twitter.com/dpshow) 14m14 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/dpshow/status/845315330222280704)More

Doug Gottlieb says Steve Alford to Indiana is a done deal http://danpatrick.com (https://t.co/fl18vLxG3Z)

sancho
03-24-2017, 11:10 AM

This has to be a joke, right? Talk about a bad move in every way.

Scorcho
03-24-2017, 11:25 AM

Dan Patrick Show‏Verified account @dpshow (https://twitter.com/dpshow) 14m14 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/dpshow/status/845315330222280704)More

Doug Gottlieb says Steve Alford to Indiana is a done deal http://danpatrick.com (https://t.co/fl18vLxG3Z)

I am with you, I think UCLA is the better job. I suspect IU will have to overpay.

U-Ute
03-24-2017, 01:30 PM
I am with you, I think UCLA is the better job. I suspect IU will have to overpay.

How many heroes have gone home and had success?

it seems like a sure-fire way to ruin his Hoosier legacy.

sancho
03-24-2017, 03:12 PM
...and tonight:

Butler vs UNC. Not feeling very confidant here.
USC vs Baylor. Go gamecocks. They will probably revert to their 40 ppg ways now that they have eliminated Duke.
UCLA vs Kentucky. Ugh. Man, I will pull for UCLA, but I won't love doing it.
Wisconsin vs Florida. I can't think of a good reason to care about this game.

UBlender
03-24-2017, 10:59 PM
...and tonight:

Butler vs UNC. Not feeling very confidant here.
USC vs Baylor. Go gamecocks. They will probably revert to their 40 ppg ways now that they have eliminated Duke.
UCLA vs Kentucky. Ugh. Man, I will pull for UCLA, but I won't love doing it.
Wisconsin vs Florida. I can't think of a good reason to care about this game.

I felt the same way for a while but I'm glad I stuck with it. Wow. SEC with three teams in the Elite Eight.

SeattleUte
03-24-2017, 11:05 PM
Every year this tournament is a running repudiation of LAUte's refrain that the NBA has ruined college basketball. College basketball has never been better.

sancho
03-24-2017, 11:10 PM
I felt the same way for a while but I'm glad I stuck with it. Wow. SEC with three teams in the Elite Eight.

That game saved the tournament. Amazing.

Without those buzzer beaters and the block, there would be no footage for One Shining Moment.

sancho
03-24-2017, 11:15 PM
SEC with three teams in the Elite Eight.

Auburn is about to grab some 5 star recruits now. This night will be remembered in Starkville forever as the turning point in Mississippi State basketball.

sancho
03-26-2017, 07:51 AM
Oregon and gonzaga. Proving that it's not about 1 and dones. It's about transfers.

SeattleUte
03-26-2017, 08:34 AM
Oregon and gonzaga. Proving that it's not about 1 and dones. It's about transfers.

But williams-goss missed a golden opportunity to be an NBA second round pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

concerned
03-26-2017, 09:01 AM
But williams-goss missed a golden opportunity to be an NBA second round pick.

So Kuzma should transfer somewhere where he can get to the final four, like Gonzaga, I guess.

sancho
03-26-2017, 03:07 PM
South Carolina vs North Carolina would be a great national title game...if the gamecocks win.

Utah went through two 1 seeds to reach the title game in 1998. Gonzaga would go through a whole bunch of nothing. Is it too much to ask that they play at least one great team on their way to a championship?

The zags are so deep, and there's no weak link. South Carolina will have the best player on the floor, but Gonzaga will have the next 5-6 best.

LA Ute
03-26-2017, 06:15 PM
I enjoyed watching Kentucky lose.

Old Standing ute
03-26-2017, 07:15 PM
I enjoyed watching Kentucky lose.

especially on a last minute basket.

SeattleUte
03-26-2017, 08:51 PM
South Carolina vs North Carolina would be a great national title game...if the gamecocks win.

Utah went through two 1 seeds to reach the title game in 1998. Gonzaga would go through a whole bunch of nothing. Is it too much to ask that they play at least one great team on their way to a championship?

The zags are so deep, and there's no weak link. South Carolina will have the best player on the floor, but Gonzaga will have the next 5-6 best.

Uh, if you're a number 1 seed it's impossible you'll have to beat two number 1 seeds to get to the national title game.

sancho
03-26-2017, 09:24 PM
Uh, if you're a number 1 seed it's impossible you'll have to beat two number 1 seeds to get to the national title game.

Sure is, but it's definitely possible to have a tougher road than west virginia, xavier.

sancho
03-26-2017, 10:52 PM
especially on a last minute basket.

That's two game winning buzzer beaters in two days. It's almost like a real March madness.

The Thrill
03-27-2017, 12:00 PM
Here’s my Final 4 breakdown.

The Gamecocks benefitted from being in South Carolina for the opening rounds and NYC for the last 2 rounds.
Arizona is a long way away from South Carolina, most of their fans who could travel or go to games already spent the money.
The furthest SC has travelled this year is Memphis, a game they lost by 16 points. Typical SEC team that never travels west.

I could see Gonzaga blow them out by 25, easy. SC has big guards but they’ll put Mathews on Thornwall and he’s big enough to handle him.
Dozier and Notice are their only other threats, between NWG and Perkins they will be neutralized.
Karnowski will destroy Silva. Dude, Gonzaga is big. South Carolina is bad on the boards, ranked #139, Gonzaga is #7.
If SC can hold Gonzaga to 27% shooting from deep and 41% overall like they did vs Florida then they have a good chance. I don’t see it. Advantage GONZAGA

Now as for Oregon and UNC, the location won’t matter, this one’s about matchups.
I think losing Boucher was big specifically for this game. Kansas matched up good for Oregon and they were able to run with them.
But Kansas was beat by athleticism. Oregon athletes are off the charts…but so are the Tarheels. This game will be very fun to watch. Expect 84-80 final score. I see UNC winning just because they’ll be able to go 1 athlete deeper…what did I say about Boucher?

Jackson, Berry II, Meeks, Hicks vs Brooks, Dorsey, Bell and Ennis

Jackson 6’8” JR F – Brooks 6’7” JR
Berry II 6’0” JR G – Ennis 6’2” SR
Meeks 6’10” SR F – Bell 6’9” JR
Hicks 6’9” SR F – Dorsey 6’4” SO (this would’ve been Boucher 6’10” SR)

They’ll have to bring in Sorkin (8mpg guy) to guard Hicks….Isaiah would destroy him. Or move Brooks to guard Hicks but that leaves Dorsey on Jackson who would destroy him. Everything points to North Carolina, that is if UNC can still hit from outside. Jackson and Berry average 14 attempts from deep a game at 38.5% but Oregon is 21st in three point defense at 31.1%. Should make for a great game and it will come down to coaching. Altman is a good coach but lacks the experience, especially going up against Roy Williams. Advantage UNC.

That gets us to Gonzaga vs North Carolina. Seriously, which is the lesser of the evils?
If Gonzaga wins all you’ll hear is BYU fans ranting about how they should be the champs since they’re the only team to beat them.
If UNC wins all you’ll hear is the ACC dominance once again, even though they’ve had a sub-par tournament.

Scorcho
03-27-2017, 12:58 PM
LOL

Arizona Basketball just tweeted out that effective today, Sean Miller will no longer have an active Twitter account

concerned
03-27-2017, 01:03 PM
LOL

Arizona Basketball just tweeted out that effective today, Sean Miller will no longer have an active Twitter account

What prmpted that?

SeattleUte
03-27-2017, 01:10 PM
LOL

If Arizona wants to give up Sean Miller we'd be happy to take him at Georgetown. Since he put Xavier on the map, that would be a nice fit. Arizona is an unremarkable little backwater that is lucky to be relevant since Lute left, and any rational person would expect them to decline substantially with another coaching change. Really, who does Arizona think it is. Before Lute, Arizona was nothing--nothing is not an exaggeration--and there's nothing about Tuscon or the U of A that is naturally attractive to prodigies of basketball, the most urban of our team sports. But rational is too much to expect of rabid fans, who, after all, have only found a substitute for religion. Fans are by and large ignorant.

This was the team that Miller inherited, sinking to its natural place:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008%E2%80%9309_Arizona_Wildcats_men%27s_basketbal l_team

concerned
03-27-2017, 01:50 PM
If Arizona wants to give up Sean Miller we'd be happy to take him at Georgetown. Since he put Xavier on the map, that would be a nice fit. Arizona is an unremarkable little backwater that is lucky to be relevant since Lute left, and any rational person would expect them to decline substantially with another coaching change. Really, who does Arizona think it is. Before Lute, Arizona was nothing--nothing is not an exaggeration--and there's nothing about Tuscon or the U of A that is naturally attractive to prodigies of basketball, the most urban of our team sports. But rational is too much to expect of rabid fans, who, after all, have only found a substitute for religion. Fans are by and large ignorant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008%E2%80%9309_Arizona_Wildcats_men%27s_basketbal l_team

Arizona returning to a backwater would be the best of all possible worlds.

chrisrenrut
03-27-2017, 02:06 PM
What prmpted that?

Probably just tired of seeing stuff like this:

DrumNFeather
03-27-2017, 02:08 PM

Speaking of the Hoyas, what are your thoughts on the JT3 firing? I heard on the radio out there that it's worthless to speculate on a replacement until Big John speaks on the matter. Haven't heard too many names for the job, but one name I've heard is Tommy Ammaker over at Harvard. That would be a fairly interesting hire.

mUUser
03-27-2017, 04:19 PM
..... I predict if UA doesn't get it done next year Miller is gone......

Pure insanity. He's been a solid coach for that program. If it was easy, then everyone would make the FF early in their career. Calhoun, Wooden, Boeheim and Few are just a couple of coaches off the top of my head that took a dozen years or more to reach that level. True they started from scratch, but, I'm not altogether certain its not just as difficult to replicate the success of a legend as it is to begin at ground zero. Exercise some patience Wildcats....he'll get there.

SeattleUte
03-27-2017, 05:13 PM
Arizona returning to a backwater would be the best of all possible worlds.

Odds say that's where they're headed after Miller. Universal constants say that's where they belong. They hit the jackpot twice in a row. Not likely that it will happen three times in a row. Look at Arizona State. That's reality, and UA has less going for it than ASU. Tucson/UA is a dump. Albuquerque is nicer by far. Arizona fans are the most ignorant, myopic, falsely prideful on the planet. They make BYU fans seem like salt of the earth. Miller needs to go to Georgetown.

sancho
03-29-2017, 08:19 AM
Down to S. Carolina!

I hate Oregon and UNC, but I hate BYU more than anything. I want Gonzaga out mostly because BYU wants them to be successful.

I don't think the gamecocks have much of a shot, but anythng can happen in college basketball.

So I guess the rooting ranking goes:

1. S Carolina
2. Oregon
3. Gonzaga
4. UNC

Rocker Ute
03-29-2017, 10:33 AM
Down to S. Carolina!

I hate Oregon and UNC, but I hate BYU more than anything. I want Gonzaga out mostly because BYU wants them to be successful.

I don't think the gamecocks have much of a shot, but anythng can happen in college basketball.

So I guess the rooting ranking goes:

1. S Carolina
2. Oregon
3. Gonzaga
4. UNC

Swap 3 and 4 and I'm with you.

SeattleUte
04-01-2017, 06:41 PM
Few is a great coach. Not only does he build a great program in nowhere, he knows how to reconstitute his team and puzzle out a win when the stakes are high as can be.

justaute
04-01-2017, 06:43 PM
Few is a great coach. Not only does he build a great program in nowhere, he knows how to reconstitute his team and puzzle out a win when the stakes are high as can be.

Concur.

SeattleUte
04-01-2017, 09:50 PM
Oregon fans should be heart sick. So many chances, far from a well played game. How many crucial plays and shots did they botch. And they lose by 1. Not boxing out on two four missed free throws at the end.

justaute
04-01-2017, 09:53 PM
Brooks and Dorsey picked a bad day to play poorly, on the same day. Sigh...

Dwight Schr-Ute
04-01-2017, 10:02 PM
Brooks and Dorsey picked a bad day to play poorly, on the same day. Sigh...

March ended yesterday.

U-Ute
04-02-2017, 10:57 AM
The Oregon Trail.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170402/72d37a449c6b8c25bd3bbe2088c0b797.jpg

Rocker Ute
04-02-2017, 12:30 PM
UNC laid every opportunity at their feet. The odds of missing four in a row like that combined with two offensive rebounds...

Mark Few is a great coach but he is going to be insufferable if he wins a championship. I say that as a proud internet jackal.

sancho
04-02-2017, 12:38 PM
UNC laid every opportunity at their feet. The odds of missing four in a row like that combined with two offensive rebounds...

Mark Few is a great coach but he is going to be insufferable if he wins a championship. I say that as a proud internet jackal.

Oregon got lucky many times during close games this season. Luck ran out last night. I will not miss Brooks.

Gonzaga is playing against its first very good opponent since last Fall when they played Arizona. Amazing to make it to a title game without beating anything better than a 4-seed. UNC has better guards and bigs, but Gonzaga has more depth.

Wichita State is moving to the AAC. If the Zags win the national title, I think the Pac-12 should take a long look.

Dwight Schr-Ute
04-02-2017, 01:50 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170402/1844ff78d93fffd8d4fd1391d73d478f.jpg

My buddy t work who grew up in Eugene grabbed a couple $500 tickets and went down to Phoenix for the weekend. I haven't had the heart to reach out to him this morning. Had he's attendance not come at my expense having to cover for him at a work event yesterday, I'd be more sympathetic.

sancho
04-03-2017, 11:14 PM
Fitting that the officials should dominate the title game in this tournament. They were the real story of March this year.

chrisrenrut
04-04-2017, 07:07 AM
I am sad that it's over. But on the bright side, we no longer have to see those awful commercials with Greg Gumble and the wedding singer from the Hangover. I haven't been able to get that Aerosmith song out of my head for 3 weeks.

chrisrenrut
04-04-2017, 07:21 AM
Fitting that the officials should dominate the title game in this tournament. They were the real story of March this year.

mUUser
04-04-2017, 08:36 AM
Ugh, what a forgettable tournament. No compelling stories. No great teams. No dominant performances. Throw in the fact that Utah's program stuck in mud -- at best -- if not imploding before our eyes. Is college basketball dying the slow, grisly death that pro basketball has already died? The officiating.....I can't take the officiating any longer. From jr. jazz to professionals, it's truly horrible at every level. To stop down games for five minutes to figure out who's finger last touched the ball -- unwatchable. It's time for college baseball to take its rightful place behind football. The CWS.....great games, great atmosphere, great food, and decent officiating.

Rocker Ute
04-04-2017, 08:53 AM
Ugh, what a forgettable tournament. No compelling stories. No great teams. No dominant performances. Throw in the fact that Utah's program stuck in mud -- at best -- if not imploding before our eyes. Is college basketball dying the slow, grisly death that pro basketball has already died? The officiating.....I can't take the officiating any longer. From jr. jazz to professionals, it's truly horrible at every level. To stop down games for five minutes to figure out who's finger last touched the ball -- unwatchable. It's time for college baseball to take its rightful place behind football. The CWS.....great games, great atmosphere, great food, and decent officiating.

I kind of miss the days of a controversial call. Someone suggested changing it so an official has 30 seconds to overturn a call on video review. If they can't determine it in that time the call on the floor stands.

They need to let them play more too.

DrumNFeather
04-04-2017, 09:21 AM
I kind of miss the days of a controversial call. Someone suggested changing it so an official has 30 seconds to overturn a call on video review. If they can't determine it in that time the call on the floor stands.

They need to let them play more too.

Guys like Karnowski are always going to be tough to officiate. He probably doesn't get as many calls as he should, but on the other hand also knocks the crap out of guys down on the block. That's gotta be a tough line for officials. I was actually impressed with Meeks' defense last night on the Gonzaga bigs...I think it would be wise for Larry to send the tape to Collette so that he knows he doesn't have to fall down every single time.

sancho
04-04-2017, 10:05 AM
I thought of Majerus as I watched Few lose last night. He was so close, and he may never be there again.

As for officiating, it has always been a weakness of basketball as a sport. The game was never intended to be about fouls, but that's what it is now. Over and over again last night, Williams-Goss lowered his head, drove the lane with no intention of getting a good shot, threw himself into the defense, and went to the line. That's what the best players in basketball do, and that's why the game is in a tough spot. You have guards averaging 20+ per game simply because they are able to create contact. It's not entertaining, but it's absolutely the right way to play. I have no solution to suggest.

DrumNFeather
04-04-2017, 10:54 AM
I thought of Majerus as I watched Few lose last night. He was so close, and he may never be there again.

As for officiating, it has always been a weakness of basketball as a sport. The game was never intended to be about fouls, but that's what it is now. Over and over again last night, Williams-Goss lowered his head, drove the lane with no intention of getting a good shot, threw himself into the defense, and went to the line. That's what the best players in basketball do, and that's why the game is in a tough spot. You have guards averaging 20+ per game simply because they are able to create contact. It's not entertaining, but it's absolutely the right way to play. I have no solution to suggest.

I had a similar thought as well. Coming back the following year as a 2, only to get bounced by Wally World. You could certainly see a similar scenario play out for the Zags next year if Collins goes pro.

Old Standing ute
04-04-2017, 02:12 PM
One of the refs was Pac-12's own Verne Harris. I was surprised to find him one of 3 best NCAA refs.?

Early poll has AZ ranked #1 next year in part because Ristic, who they recruited over Poltl, is coming back for his senior year.

Oregon also in top 10, but depends on Brooks, Dorsey, & Bell coming back. Watching the tourney Dorsey looked like the best potential pro--Brooks could do nothing against No Car bigger players. But it would be nice to see him gone---to Europe or D-league probably.

U-Ute
04-05-2017, 12:12 PM
One Average Moment

uMVxPxyxxJk

justaute
04-05-2017, 12:20 PM
One of the refs was Pac-12's own Verne Harris. I was surprised to find him one of 3 best NCAA refs.?

Early poll has AZ ranked #1 next year in part because Ristic, who they recruited over Poltl, is coming back for his senior year.

Oregon also in top 10, but depends on Brooks, Dorsey, & Bell coming back. Watching the tourney Dorsey looked like the best potential pro--Brooks could do nothing against No Car bigger players. But it would be nice to see him gone---to Europe or D-league probably.

FWIW...Don't know if this is true. My understanding is that there are no "Pac 12" refs in men's basketball. There are refs who work in Pac 12 and other conferences, depending on assignments and other factors. That said, still didn't care for those refs.

Diehard Ute
04-05-2017, 12:45 PM
FWIW...Don't know if this is true. My understanding is that there are no "Pac 12" refs in men's basketball. There are refs who work in Pac 12 and other conferences, depending on assignments and other factors. That said, still didn't care for those refs.

Every conference in the western US uses the same refs. The conferences have formed an alliance of sorts instead of each conference having their own.

There have been several articles suggesting refs are burning out because they're voluntarily working so many games. Officials often get paid $2,000 to $3,000 a game. The more you ref the more you make.

David Hall refs a lot of Utah games. According to bbstate.com he called 93 games this season. That's a lot of travel. And a lot of money. There are a lot of officials at that site showing 70+ games called.

FountainOfUte
04-05-2017, 02:39 PM
If the Zags win the national title, I think the Pac-12 should take a long look.

I'm afraid you're serious. Why would the PAC ever do that? Why arm those guys with any more than they already have?

sancho
04-05-2017, 03:03 PM
I'm afraid you're serious. Why would the PAC ever do that? Why arm those guys with any more than they already have?

I don't think it would be good for Utah at all, and I don't want it to happen, but I think it would be good for the Pac-12. It would bring in more money (which is what this is all about), and it would keep western talent in the conference. On the flip side, a WCC team winning a national title looks bad for the Pac-12.

That said, Gonzaga did not win the title. The Pac-12 would have to be completely certain they are adding a true, long-term power, so it would need to be a national champion Gonzaga.

The Big East did this with Butler, Xavier and Creighton. The situation was quite different, but the result is that the Big East survived realignment to remain a true power.

Scorcho
04-05-2017, 03:21 PM
if Chris Boucher doesn't rupture his ACL a month ago, Oregon is holding the trophy on Monday night.

Oregon lost 12 points, 6 points and 3 blocks a game without him.