PDA

View Full Version : The Kyle Kuzma Thread

UtahsMrSports
04-11-2017, 10:13 AM
DraftExpress updated their mock draft for the first time in two weeks yesterday. They have Kuzma going 55th to the Celtics. I am on record as saying that I think he will ultimately keep his name in. Here is an option that hasn't gotten much talk.........he could be a lifelong draft and stash.

Two years ago, the Jazz took Olivier Hanlan from BC in the middle of the second round. After summer league, it was obvious he wasn't going to make the team (he was, coincidentally, a guy who had left after his junior year). The Jazz maintained his rights and he went off to Europe to play. Fast forward to 2016. The spurs are looking to dump Boris Diaw's salary and the Jazz use Hanlan as a trade piece. I dont think anyone plans on him joining the league anytime soon, but draft and stash guys can be a trade chip for teams looking to do a salary dump. Might be an option for Kuzma.

Dwight Schr-Ute
04-12-2017, 01:00 PM
DraftExpress updated their mock draft for the first time in two weeks yesterday. They have Kuzma going 55th to the Celtics. I am on record as saying that I think he will ultimately keep his name in. Here is an option that hasn't gotten much talk.........he could be a lifelong draft and stash.

Two years ago, the Jazz took Olivier Hanlan from BC in the middle of the second round. After summer league, it was obvious he wasn't going to make the team (he was, coincidentally, a guy who had left after his junior year). The Jazz maintained his rights and he went off to Europe to play. Fast forward to 2016. The spurs are looking to dump Boris Diaw's salary and the Jazz use Hanlan as a trade piece. I dont think anyone plans on him joining the league anytime soon, but draft and stash guys can be a trade chip for teams looking to do a salary dump. Might be an option for Kuzma.

Probably still sounds better than another year of college listening to your coach complain about the lack of leadership of the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dwight Schr-Ute
04-28-2017, 05:47 PM
Kuzma got his combine invite today. Not a go d sign for those hoping he's back next year.

UtahsMrSports
04-29-2017, 08:07 AM
Kuzma got his combine invite today. Not a go d sign for those hoping he's back next year.

For the sake of everyone involved lets hope he makes his decision quickly.

Invites to the combine come straight from the league's GMs, so to get one means he is very much on the radar. I think only 70 or so invites go out, and that's total.

concerned
04-29-2017, 08:22 AM
Did Eric mika get one? Haven't seen it reported so maybe he didn't

UtahsMrSports
04-29-2017, 09:51 AM
Did Eric mika get one? Haven't seen it reported so maybe he didn't

They are rolled out over the next couple days. So he still might.

concerned
04-29-2017, 12:47 PM
They are rolled out over the next couple days. So he still might.

Apparently he just got one.

sancho
04-29-2017, 12:52 PM
Apparently he just got one.

Good, let's hope he impresses.

UtahsMrSports
04-29-2017, 01:19 PM
If Kuzma bolts we are in some trouble......if Mike bolts......they are BAD.

concerned
05-03-2017, 04:09 PM
Kuzma just announced he is hiring an agent and staying in.

Diehard Ute
05-03-2017, 04:11 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170503/e816cd15d8b8ab795e88b04ba32ba3fb.png

UtahsMrSports
05-03-2017, 04:23 PM
I wish him well. He has worked his tail off and become a significantly better player each and every year. I dont know what his draft prospects are, but I do hope he sees success.

sancho
05-03-2017, 04:58 PM
Not a surprise at all, but it is a bummer.

Next season looks rough right now. We need 1-2 of the returning players to make a Kuzma sized leap, and we need at least one of the newcomers to be good.

Dwight Schr-Ute
05-03-2017, 05:13 PM
Not a surprise at all, but it is a bummer.

Next season looks rough right now. We need 1-2 of the returning players to make a Kuzma sized leap, and we need at least one of the newcomers to be good.

Which I think means Larry needs to bring in at least one more eligible for next year. Which might need to be his biggest miracle yet.

DrumNFeather
05-04-2017, 08:15 AM
Larry put out a very nice statement, which was the right thing to do. I agree with what has been said, he's gotta pull a rabbit out of his hat and get someone in here for this season...maybe another graduate transfer?

sancho
05-04-2017, 09:07 AM
With Kuzma gone, we can look at the roster. I know positions are fluid, but it works out well to group them by position anyway:

1) PG (Barefield, Bibbins). The great hope here is that Barefield makes a giant leap. It's a reasonable hope because he has shown flashes. We haven't seen Bibbins, but it also seems reasonable to hope that he is at least a good option coming off the bench.

2) SG (PVD, Popoola). The great hope here is that PVD can become a 40% shooter from outside. The secondary hope is that Popoola's athleticism allows him to defend right off the bat.

3) SF (Bealer, Seeley). Ouch. Just hope that Seeley is good. Bealer was playing alright at the end of the season, but I don't think he's a starter on a tournament team.

4) PF (Tillman, Rawson). So much of the hope for the season rests on an unknown with Tillman. If he can rebound and defend and stay on the floor, we won't need Rawson too much.

5) C (Collette, Johnson, Jokl). This is the only position that we know right now is Pac-12 worthy. At the other positions, we have hope. If Johnson can jump up to the next level, I suspect we will see both Collette and Johnson on the floor at the same time.

I think this is another season where we are hoping to overachieve and end up 4th or 5th in the conference. We seem to have stalled out instead of continuing our upward climb in the Pac-12. We will either start climbing again, or we will start slipping.

SeattleUte
05-04-2017, 02:08 PM
Has Daniels enrolled anywhere?

DrumNFeather
05-04-2017, 03:06 PM
Has Daniels enrolled anywhere?

I believe he was set to visit UCONN, but I don't believe he has announced if that is his final destination.

Scorcho
05-05-2017, 02:41 PM
Jeff Goodman‏Verified account @GoodmanESPN (https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN) Follow

More

Utah transfer Devon Daniels told ESPN he will visit NC State on Monday.

SeattleUte
05-05-2017, 07:45 PM
Jeff Goodman‏Verified account @GoodmanESPN (https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN) Follow

More

Utah transfer Devon Daniels told ESPN he will visit NC State on Monday.

We should ask him to come back. Why is he good enough for UConn and NC State but not Utah?

Diehard Ute
05-05-2017, 10:59 PM
We should ask him to come back. Why is he good enough for UConn and NC State but not Utah?

You really don't care about character etc do you?

SeattleUte
05-06-2017, 10:45 PM
You really don't care about character etc do you?

You assume that NC State and UConn and whoever else is recruiting Daniels don't care? It's easy to assume it's all the 18 year old black kid's fault. Sorry. I'm not going to just accept that. What we've learned from Utah's best coaches is that character proceeds from the coach. All we've heard about Daniels is innuendo leaked from the basketball office. I'm not going to take it at face value. Daniels has had the character at least to keep completely silent about his side of the story.
I'm more concerned about what this says about the program's, that is, the coaches' character.

Diehard Ute
05-06-2017, 10:55 PM
You assume that NC State and UConn and whoever else is recruiting Daniels don't care? It's easy to assume it's all the 18 year old black kid's fault. Sorry. I'm not going to just accept that. What we've learned from Utah's best coaches is that character proceeds from the coach. All we've heard about Daniels is innuendo leaked from the basketball office. I'm not going to take it at face value. Daniels has had the character at least to keep completely silent about his side of the story.
I'm more concerned about what this says about the program's, that is, the coaches' character.

And from where I sit Daniels is staying quiet because he has nothing to add that adds value to him.

He knows he screwed up, and I think he knows he needed a fresh start. He's talented, but reality is he burned all his other bridges.

LA Ute
05-07-2017, 11:20 AM

You may be right but there is not not a scintilla of evidence supporting your view. There is, however, evidence supporting the view that DD was a serious problem for the team. What I do fault LK for is not detecting the problem during recruiting. Krysko probably beats himself up for that.

SoCalPat
05-08-2017, 12:33 PM
You may be right but there is not not a scintilla of evidence supporting your view. There is, however, evidence supporting the view that DD was a serious problem for the team. What I do fault LK for is not detecting the problem during recruiting. Krysko probably beats himself up for that.

Larry knew. All coaches know. Let's not kid ourselves here -- Larry took a chance, and we want our coaches to take chances on talented kids.

SeattleUte
05-08-2017, 02:58 PM
Larry knew. All coaches know. Let's not kid ourselves here -- Larry took a chance, and we want our coaches to take chances on talented kids.

Well put. Utah has to do that. Maybe not UCLA, but Utah does.

chrisrenrut
05-08-2017, 03:19 PM

Apparently UConn and NC State do too.

SeattleUte
05-08-2017, 04:00 PM
Apparently UConn and NC State do too.

True.

LA Ute
05-08-2017, 04:46 PM

That's a better way to say it. My point was that Larry could be faulted for offering Daniels. To be more precise, you're saying he made a bad bet. That, he can be faulted for.

Self-hating Utah fan.

SoCalPat
05-08-2017, 05:52 PM
That's a better way to say it. My point was that Larry could be faulted for offering Daniels. To be more precise, you're saying he made a bad bet. That, he can be faulted for.

That's results-based thinking, which many of you know I abhor. If you're gonna use a gambling comparison, please remember that even in gambling, you can make all the right decisions and still lose. I'll never fault Larry for bringing in a kid like Daniels -- it's the Tim Colemans and JoJo Zamoras that his feet should be held to the fire.

LA Ute
05-08-2017, 08:59 PM
That's results-based thinking, which many of you know I abhor. If you're gonna use a gambling comparison, please remember that even in gambling, you can make all the right decisions and still lose. I'll never fault Larry for bringing in a kid like Daniels -- it's the Tim Colemans and JoJo Zamoras that his feet should be held to the fire.

I don't blame Larry a bit for bringing in Daniels. It's Seattle who was straining hard to find some way to criticize Larry over Daniels, so in order to help Seattle out I tried to articulate some basis on which Larry could possibly be criticized. I think it's pretty weak to criticize LK at all for Daniels. You joined the discussion a bit late, so you're proving my point without knowing it.

SeattleUte
05-10-2017, 07:57 PM
I don't blame Larry a bit for bringing in Daniels. It's Seattle who was straining hard to find some way to criticize Larry over Daniels, so in order to help Seattle out I tried to articulate some basis on which Larry could possibly be criticized. I think it's pretty weak to criticize LK at all for Daniels. You joined the discussion a bit late, so you're proving my point without knowing it.

My point may be a little too subtle for you. What we have to go on is rumors from the coaches. The rumors are that Daniels's off the court citizenship was lacking (there's no rumor that he didn't bust his ass in practice, that he did drugs or was an academic problem). I think this raises a question about the team culture--which is the coach's responsibility. I don't know why everyone just accepts the coaches' excuse that Daniels is a bad seed. Larry K. himself has said that the team culture is deficient. That problem is all his fault.

Except for Marc Jackson at the very end, Majerus only lost transfers because they couldn't play basketball well enough to make the team. Even Marc Jackson was not the result of a citizenship issue. We just lost a kid who was on a trajectory to be first team all Pac 12 because of problems with team discipline. Stop assuming that all the fault lies with the kid.

concerned
05-10-2017, 10:15 PM
My point may be a little too subtle for you. What we have to go on is rumors from the coaches. The rumors are that Daniels's off the court citizenship was lacking (there's no rumor that he didn't bust his ass in practice, that he did drugs or was an academic problem). I think this raises a question about the team culture--which is the coach's responsibility. I don't know why everyone just accepts the coaches' excuse that Daniels is a bad seed. Larry K. himself has said that the team culture is deficient. That problem is all his fault.

Except for Marc Jackson at the very end, Majerus only lost transfers because they couldn't play basketball well enough to make the team. Even Marc Jackson was not the result of a citizenship issue. We just lost a kid who was on a trajectory to be first team all Pac 12 because of problems with team discipline. Stop assuming that all the fault lies with the kid.

you are off base on this one. I have heard lots of stuff not from coaches but players extended families or friends. Daniels was a bad apple and a bad teammate by the end. he burned his bridges with everybody.

Utebiquitous
05-10-2017, 11:22 PM
Concerned,
And yet, Larry reinstated him. I imagine that didn't happen without team approval.

It sounds like you have insider information on this one. I do not. But the failure to keep Daniels is first and foremost a failure on Larry and the coaching staff. Larry has admitted that holding players accountable to the culture he's trying to create slipped seriously last season. I've seen evidence of it slipping for two seasons.

Daniels is part of the problem - I don't contest that, but I wonder what Larry and the staff could have or should have been doing so that we don't lose a player with his talent. I think Larry knows he's partly responsible.

SeattleUte
05-10-2017, 11:38 PM
Concerned,
And yet, Larry reinstated him. I imagine that didn't happen without team approval.

It sounds like you have insider information on this one. I do not. But the failure to keep Daniels is first and foremost a failure on Larry and the coaching staff. Larry has admitted that holding players accountable to the culture he's trying to create slipped seriously last season. I've seen evidence of it slipping for two seasons.

Daniels is part of the problem - I don't contest that, but I wonder what Larry and the staff could have or should have been doing so that we don't lose a player with his talent. I think Larry knows he's partly responsible.

Well put and irrefutable.

LA Ute
05-11-2017, 07:40 AM
Concerned,

I think you're right. I hope Larry learns from this. It certainly appears that he's been thinking about it.

concerned
05-11-2017, 08:34 AM
Concerned,

Reinstating him for the last couple of games versus the next three years are two completely different things. Plus the reinstatement did not overcome (but confirmed) what had gone on before. the coaching staff of course is partly responsible but Seattle Ute is minimizing Daniels role when he doesnt know what he is talking about, even though he is sure he is irrefutable.

Rocker Ute
05-11-2017, 08:42 AM
Reinstating him for the last couple of games versus the next three years are two completely different things. Plus the reinstatement did not overcome (but confirmed) what had gone on before. the coaching staff of course is partly responsible but Seattle Ute is minimizing Daniels role when he doesnt know what he is talking about, even though he is sure he is irrefutable.

Well said. We tend to do this sort of stuff a lot ignoring the fact that punching a teammate and threatening a coach is not okay in 100% of sports programs out there ages 5-105 and any demographic or socio-economic background.

Well... except boxing.

SoCalPat
05-11-2017, 10:03 AM

You did exactly that in two previous posts that I responded to.

Two Utes
05-11-2017, 10:23 AM
Concerned,

So, no one is going to give credit to Larry for punting him? You can't fix Daniels. And, yet, most of you don't give a shit. You think Larry sucks because he didn't keep Daniels because all you see is he had talent. And Larry should have magically changed his character.

Larry made a big boy, responsible decision to correct a cultural problem with his team. He took a big risk in doing so because he lost a kid who could play basketball. But he gained a big-time fan in me and in the rest of his players. He also sent a message to every player that they better buy in or he will punt them regardless of their alleged skill. I'm going all in and say it pays off. But of course, we can't compare because we would only have the "would we be better with Daniels" hypothetical that can never be proved.

The coach at Utah State had a chance to have a front line and a point guard this year that would have won him the MWC championship--period. Instead, he backed, defended and justified the actions of his first big-time JC recruit who caused chemistry problems, caused people to leave and ultimately didn't end up playing much his last year. Because said coach rode the wrong horse, he went from winning the MWC and being the hot new name in hoops to getting his ass fired as soon as next year ends.

He chose wrong. And it had everything to do with chemistry and culture.

Larry is the best coach we've had at Utah since Majerus and a top 3 of all time already. He's proven he can coach. I'm all in next year on supporting a team that will lack a bit of athleticism but will play hard and will be fun to watch.

sancho
05-11-2017, 10:37 AM
I'm all in next year on supporting a team that will lack a bit of athleticism but will play hard and will be fun to watch.

This is all of us.

Like you said, Larry took a risk, and we can't ever really know if it was the right call. Those are the decisions coaches have to make. We may wonder "what if" regularly in the future, especially if Daniels is successful wherever he goes. Larry will probably wonder as well.

I think almost all of us are happy to have him as a coach, even if we wish he could have helped Daniels overcome whatever he needed to overcome.

Diehard Ute
05-11-2017, 10:39 AM
So, no one is going to give credit to Larry for punting him? You can't fix Daniels. And, yet, most of you don't give a shit. You think Larry sucks because he didn't keep Daniels because all you see is he had talent. And Larry should have magically changed his character.

Larry made a big boy, responsible decision to correct a cultural problem with his team. He took a big risk in doing so because he lost a kid who could play basketball. But he gained a big-time fan in me and in the rest of his players. He also sent a message to every player that they better buy in or he will punt them regardless of their alleged skill. I'm going all in and say it pays off. But of course, we can't compare because we would only have the "would we be better with Daniels" hypothetical that can never be proved.

The coach at Utah State had a chance to have a front line and a point guard this year that would have won him the MWC championship--period. Instead, he backed, defended and justified the actions of his first big-time JC recruit who caused chemistry problems, caused people to leave and ultimately didn't end up playing much his last year. Because said coach rode the wrong horse, he went from winning the MWC and being the hot new name in hoops to getting his ass fired as soon as next year ends.

Larry is the best coach we've had at Utah since Majerus and a top 3 of all time already. He's proven he can coach. I'm all in next year on supporting a team that will lack a bit of athleticism but will play hard and will be fun to watch.

Yup. This.

I'm still curious why we are seeing posts saying Larry didn't do enough to convince Daniels to stay.

Larry did what he had to do, and has admitted he needs to make some changes in his process, why is that such a horrible thing?

justaute
05-11-2017, 10:46 AM
I actually think our team will be more athletic, not less. The attributes I'm more concerned about are BB IQ and shooting. Also, have a concern about our Bigs.

Scorcho
05-11-2017, 02:14 PM
add San Diego St to those looking at Daniels

justaute
05-11-2017, 04:08 PM
Kuz was 7 of 7 in the 1st half of today's combine scrimmage, including 3/3 on 3pts. Nice work.

Irving Washington
05-11-2017, 04:36 PM

Top three? I'd put Vadel Peterson, Jack Gardner, Jerry Pimm and Maji ahead of him. He may jump a few before he's done, but he isn't there yet.

Rocker Ute
05-11-2017, 04:43 PM

I was on a team that had awful chemistry. The stars (who were seniors) were colossal douchebags. We underperformed in a big way that year. Those guys graduated, team chemistry improved dramatically and we dominated the following year with supposedly lesser talent.

Utah is a school that need to play team ball to win, period. We aren't going to get the one and done guys who elevate the entire program, so why undermine this critical element. I totally support Larry in his decision. Of course, his butt is on the line now.

LA Ute
05-11-2017, 06:45 PM
Top three? I'd put Vadel Peterson, Jack Gardner, Jerry Pimm and Maji ahead of him. He may jump a few before he's done, but he isn't there yet.

He could jump Pimm if he sticks around and keeps doing what he is doing. To jump Maji he's got to get to a NCAA final and to jump The Silver Fox he needs to make two Final Fours.

UtahsMrSports
05-12-2017, 12:13 PM
After a solid showing yesterday in 5 on 5, Kuzma is not playing today, per Chad Ford.

concerned
05-12-2017, 12:27 PM
After a solid showing yesterday in 5 on 5, Kuzma is not playing today, per Chad Ford.

What would our record have been if Kuzma had played like he did yesterday in three or four of our games?

sancho
05-12-2017, 12:47 PM
What would our record have been if Kuzma had played like he did yesterday in three or four of our games?

Better, but still, he played well enough to be on the all-conference first team. He had a great season. If it had been more great, that would have been more better.

concerned
05-12-2017, 01:10 PM
Better, but still, he played well enough to be on the all-conference first team. He had a great season. If it had been more great, that would have been more better.

He played very well in many games; awful in others, and continued a tradition of head-scratching decision making in many. He wasn't consistent at all.

chrisrenrut
05-12-2017, 01:35 PM
He played very well in many games; awful in others, and continued a tradition of head-scratching decision making in many. He wasn't consistent at all.

Frequently, it felt like Kuz was "letting the game come to him" to a fault. There were times we would have been better if he had asserted himself, like it's sound he did yesterday.

Hayes6
05-12-2017, 03:31 PM

In what game did he play awful last year? He had double figures in scoring every game but one in conference and had 12 straight games of at least 8 rebounds. Sounds pretty non-awful and consistent to me.

SeattleUte
05-12-2017, 04:17 PM

This is human nature. People tend to empathize with the person who looks most like them, talks like them, is of comparable age, is of like background.

How did Larry K find himself in that situation? That's the crux.

UtahsMrSports
05-12-2017, 04:33 PM
In what game did he play awful last year? He had double figures in scoring every game but one in conference and had 12 straight games of at least 8 rebounds. Sounds pretty non-awful and consistent to me.

I suppose it all depends on your definition of consistent. I would argue that he had an awful game against Arizona, but outside of that he was mostly at a double double or within shouting distance for most of conference play (with the admitted slip in rebounding over the last couple weeks of the season/post season). All in all, I would say he was much more consistent this year than he was last year.

There is some buzz of him moving up into the first round (personally, I see him as a mid second round guy, but anywhere from late late first to undrafted wouldn't suprise me). I am cheering for that. A number of folks have argued this with me, but if we have three first round draft picks in a row, recruits will notice. That is a great sign of a staff that can develop guys who want to put in the work and be part of the group. Its obviously not the number one thing on anyone's list but every bit helps.

SoCalPat
05-13-2017, 01:36 PM

He had 7 turnovers in the OSU loss, and his 10 FGAs were well under his per season average. There's no way Kuzma can look at that game and say with a straight face he played well.

SeattleUte
05-14-2017, 12:17 AM
Based on the advice given in this article to better NBA prospects, Kuzma made a mistake.

Whoops. http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19343807/nba-execs-stay-draft-return-school

UtahsMrSports
05-15-2017, 09:52 AM
Based on the advice given in this article to better NBA prospects, Kuzma made a mistake.

Whoops. http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19343807/nba-execs-stay-draft-return-school

We had this back and forth here on the boards last year in regards to Poeltl. I will start by saying that yes, in a perfect world, the overwhelming majority of these guys go back to school and iron out their weaknesses and the NBA has more polished players coming in every year. Unfortunately, that is not how things have worked for most of this century. With many guys trying to maximize their earnings, they are opting to leave early, develop in the NBA and be a year or two closer to those second and third contracts (where the real money is). Rational or not, the fear of getting injured playing college ball is another factor.

I did not read all of the evaluations in that article. I started with Mika because I think his decision will be very interesting to watch. The unnamed NBA exec who spoke on him mentioned wanting to see him go back to school and 'extend his range'. Fair assesment (he went 0-1 on threes this year). Now that is one executive on one team. More analytics-driven execs are going to see that he hit 76% on his free throws, shooting nearly 9 a game and that was up from 62% as a freshman back in 2013-2014. Free throw % (and its trend over time) are great indicators of 'stretch 4' potential. Its there. No one who truly has Mika's best interests at heart is going to advise to go back to school to 'extend his range' when the potential is clearly there, and its uncertain just how much Dave Rose (whose seat is getting ever so slightly warm) would be willing to experiment with such an attempt. In the D-league, that could be worked on with no consequences while learning a team's system for a salary in the high five figures or even 6 figures.

Quick look at Kuzma..........what else can he prove at the college level that would cause his draft stock to really rise? He could lead a team to a big tournament run. The measurables (which are ok, nothing great, nothing bad) won't change. He could 'extend his range', his basketball IQ could rise, etc.

I know I am rambling here, but to me, he has reached a level where the D-league wouldn't bury him and he can develop just fine there and be closer to that second contract, if he is so fortunate. Would have loved to have him back because I think there is more Larry can teach him, but after his performance at the combine, as laughably small of a sample size as it is, I believe he made the right call and his potential to move up with another year at Utah may not outweight another birthday.

U-Ute
05-17-2017, 07:31 AM
Kuzma did an AMA on Twitter yesterday. I hesitated to check it out because kids and twitter.

It turned out great though. I highly recommend. He handled it well.

Here's the start.

https://twitter.com/kylekuzma/status/864575159780421634

Makes me like him more and wish he was coming back. You can feel the maturity coming through.

UtahsMrSports
05-17-2017, 09:41 AM
Kuzma did an AMA on Twitter yesterday. I hesitated to check it out because kids and twitter.

It turned out great though. I highly recommend. He handled it well.

Here's the start.

https://twitter.com/kylekuzma/status/864575159780421634

Makes me like him more and wish he was coming back. You can feel the maturity coming through.

I read one of those AMA's from Joe Ingles of the Jazz a few weeks ago and it was enough to turn me off of them.......he only took questions like 'Hey Joe, tell us what vegemite tastes like?', 'could you beat up Rudy Gobert?'

Kuzma actually took some tough questions and I thought gave good, insightful answers. Ive always thought hed make a good radio guy once his playing days are over.

Utah
05-22-2017, 08:00 AM
Starting this year, the NBA will have two "two-way" contracts per team. These are for kids to go back and forth from the DL and the NBA. The contract pays between $75,000 and $250,000 depending on how much time they spend in the NBA.

If he can get one of those deals, then it's a no brainer to declare for the draft.

$75,000+ and working on your game full time under the direction of your NBA team or college? NBA all the way.

Utah
05-22-2017, 08:02 AM
I think the NBA needs to let every team have 8 of these contracts per team. Then, expand the draft to four or five rounds. Allow kids to enter the draft out of high school. First and second round picks have to play. Third round and lower can go to college if they want BUT if you go to college you aren't eligible for the draft for three years.

UtahsMrSports
05-22-2017, 09:46 AM
I think the NBA needs to let every team have 8 of these contracts per team. Then, expand the draft to four or five rounds. Allow kids to enter the draft out of high school. First and second round picks have to play. Third round and lower can go to college if they want BUT if you go to college you aren't eligible for the draft for three years.

Similar to MLB. I kind of like it.

Starting this year, the NBA will have two "two-way" contracts per team. These are for kids to go back and forth from the DL and the NBA. The contract pays between $75,000 and $250,000 depending on how much time they spend in the NBA.

If he can get one of those deals, then it's a no brainer to declare for the draft.

$75,000+ and working on your game full time under the direction of your NBA team or college? NBA all the way.

I think this is one of the big reasons why fringe prospects like Eric Mika opted to stay in. Get the training and development you need and get paid a decent salary? It would be enticing, thats for sure.

Scratch
05-22-2017, 11:55 AM
I think it would be interesting to see the NBA have its various salary/free agency countdown clocks start running from a fixed point regardless of whether or not someone is in college or in the NBA. For example, say a player can first be eligible for free agency at a certain age, and set minimum salaries not at levels of experience in the league but at the player's age. For example, say the rule is that you can first become a restricted free agent at the age of 23. That means that someone who comes into the league at 19 would would essentially have a 4-year fixed contract (like the league does now depending on where you are picked) that would run until the player is 23, at which point they would become a restricted free agent. Now, if someone enters the league at 21, then they would get a 2-year deal (with those 2 years being compensated at the same rate as though they had been drafted at a younger age) and become a restricted free agent at 23. One of the big issues for these kids entering the league early isn't the money they're leaving on the table the first couple of years, but the delay that they face before they can start getting lucrative free agent deals.

UtahsMrSports
05-22-2017, 01:24 PM
Kuzma will work out with the Jazz tomorrow, as will David Collette.

UTEopia
05-22-2017, 02:42 PM
I think it would be interesting to see the NBA have its various salary/free agency countdown clocks start running from a fixed point regardless of whether or not someone is in college or in the NBA. For example, say a player can first be eligible for free agency at a certain age, and set minimum salaries not at levels of experience in the league but at the player's age. For example, say the rule is that you can first become a restricted free agent at the age of 23. That means that someone who comes into the league at 19 would would essentially have a 4-year fixed contract (like the league does now depending on where you are picked) that would run until the player is 23, at which point they would become a restricted free agent. Now, if someone enters the league at 21, then they would get a 2-year deal (with those 2 years being compensated at the same rate as though they had been drafted at a younger age) and become a restricted free agent at 23. One of the big issues for these kids entering the league early isn't the money they're leaving on the table the first couple of years, but the delay that they face before they can start getting lucrative free agent deals.

I think that would encourage teams to draft younger players and would end up encouraging more kids to leave at a younger age.

concerned
05-22-2017, 02:50 PM
I think that would encourage teams to draft younger players and would end up encouraging more kids to leave at a younger age.

Yep. A further erosion of the quality of college bb.

SeattleUte
05-22-2017, 05:05 PM
This stuff interests me about as much as offerings at the local fabric store. I couldn't care less about economics of the NBA underclass.

Probably college basketball will go the way of circuses.

SoCalPat
05-23-2017, 08:28 AM
This stuff interests me about as much as offerings at the local fabric store. I couldn't care less about economics of the NBA underclass.

Probably college basketball will go the way of circuses.

Seconded. I like to see our athletic alumni succeed on the field at the next level, but until I start seeing cuts from their paycheck in my bank account, their contracts or the salary structure in their league are absolutely meaningless to me.

Mormon Red Death
05-23-2017, 08:56 AM
Seconded. I like to see our athletic alumni succeed on the field at the next level, but until I start seeing cuts from their paycheck in my bank account, their contracts or the salary structure in their league are absolutely meaningless to me.

Hopefully these changes spur changes in how college athletes are reimbursed. That is how those changes might spark your interest.

Utah
05-23-2017, 09:48 AM
I agree it would encourage kids to leave earlier which would erode the college game at some level.

BUT, if you did the three year rule, it would at least keep kids in college that actually attend.

While in some ways the college game would suffer, it would stabilize and get better in other ways as well.

SoCalPat
05-23-2017, 05:36 PM
Hopefully these changes spur changes in how college athletes are reimbursed. That is how those changes might spark your interest.

You've clearly been paying attention all these years. I am for any measure that pays college athletes.

sancho
05-24-2017, 06:55 AM
You've clearly been paying attention all these years. I am for any measure that pays college athletes.

That pays them more, you mean. They're already rewarded handsomely.

Scorcho
05-26-2017, 10:43 AM
http://www.espn.com/nba/draft/results/top100/_/year/2017

Koozma at #50

UtahsMrSports
06-06-2017, 08:28 AM
An interesting read on how the new 'G-League' might impact the basketball world. I don't know if there is a perfect solution here, but I think there is a better way than the current way things are being done.

https://theringer.com/nba-draft-adam-silver-age-limit-ben-simmons-51cc9cfbc034

UTEopia
06-06-2017, 08:55 AM
I have very little interest in watching the NBA. The game today does not resemble basketball as I know it. Every screen up top is a moving screen. Guys cannot dribble without palming the ball. It just doesn't interest me at all. I have never watched a D-League game and cannot imagine doing it. If the NBA is set on further encroaching on college basketball, I guess I won't watch basketball anymore.

U-Ute
06-06-2017, 10:56 AM
I have very little interest in watching the NBA. The game today does not resemble basketball as I know it. Every screen up top is a moving screen. Guys cannot dribble without palming the ball. It just doesn't interest me at all. I have never watched a D-League game and cannot imagine doing it. If the NBA is set on further encroaching on college basketball, I guess I won't watch basketball anymore.

I swear I saw Curry grab the ball and dribble again at least 3 times sunday night. One of them was the play where he "blew by" LeBron (after picking the ball up to shoot).

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/does-this-slow-motion-breakdown-of-steph-currys-game-2-move-on-lebron-james-prove-he-traveled-060517

SeattleUte
06-06-2017, 10:59 AM
An interesting read on how the new 'G-League' might impact the basketball world. I don't know if there is a perfect solution here, but I think there is a better way than the current way things are being done.

https://theringer.com/nba-draft-adam-silver-age-limit-ben-simmons-51cc9cfbc034

What can yo do for people who'd rather earn a legal secretary's salary or less a year or two earlier, rather than get a college BA or advanced degree, become associated forever with one of America's premier brands, become part of history, and find a place in the affections of influential and powerful people. Not much, apparently.

Utah
06-06-2017, 02:25 PM
What rights, if any, does the NCAA have?

What rights would the NCAA have if they paid players in lieu of scholarships? Could the NCAA then sign kids to a dollar amount equal to the cost of attendance for three years?

sancho
06-06-2017, 03:20 PM
What rights, if any, does the NCAA have?

What rights would the NCAA have if they paid players in lieu of scholarships? Could the NCAA then sign kids to a dollar amount equal to the cost of attendance for three years?

If the NCAA starts paying players more than they already do, I want a draft. Forget recruiting. If we're trying to be a minor league, we should go all in. No more scholarships, either. Just a paycheck. No classes or eligibility.

SeattleUte
06-06-2017, 03:28 PM
If the NCAA starts paying players more than they already do, I want a draft. Forget recruiting. If we're trying to be a minor league, we should go all in. No more scholarships, either. Just a paycheck. No classes or eligibility.

The colleges won't go there. They'll just say forget it. You all want a minor league rather than big-time college sports and all that goes with it, go for it!

The only people really hurt will be the all the players except the super duper stars, and anyone who wants to make a career in college sports.

SeattleUte
06-06-2017, 03:35 PM
University of Michigan's total budget is $7.05 billion. That's a fortune 400 company. Its total athletic budget is $154 million, a small business, and a subsidiary producing a little over 2% of the total revenues that loses money--that most university administrators would be glad to see extinguished.

UtahsMrSports
06-12-2017, 09:11 AM
We are a week and a half out from the draft now, and there is still a lot of guessing about where Kuzma goes. NBAdraft.net has him at 20. Draftexpress has him at 43.

Utah
06-12-2017, 10:04 AM
I think he is in Philly today working out. He'd fit in nicely next to Embiid.

Mormon Red Death
06-20-2017, 06:01 PM
https://twitter.com/espn700bill/status/877200429376978944

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Mormon Red Death
06-21-2017, 07:03 PM
http://newarena.com/nba/2017-nba-mock-draft-2-0-where-will-lonzo-ball-go/2/?amxt=fb_506_both

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

UtahsMrSports
06-22-2017, 08:44 AM
Both DraftExpress and SoCalPat's buddy (kidding!) Chad Ford have moved Kuz to 28 to the Lakers. Ford had Kuz at 52 yesterday. Makes me think he got some intel (or hes copying others).

concerned
06-22-2017, 09:05 AM
Both DraftExpress and SoCalPat's buddy (kidding!) Chad Ford have moved Kuz to 28 to the Lakers. Ford had Kuz at 52 yesterday. Makes me think he got some intel (or hes copying others).

In Larry K's interview yesterday, he said he expected Kuz to go b/w 24-30, but couldnt say why. He has some intel too. so I may lose my bet to Ma'ake.

U-Ute
06-23-2017, 11:35 AM
So, does the fact we had 3 first round NBA guys on the roster 2 years ago make you Larry can find/develop these players, or sad that we only got to the Sweet 16?

concerned
06-23-2017, 11:41 AM
So, does the fact we had 3 first round NBA guys on the roster 2 years ago make you Larry can find/develop these players, or sad that we only got to the Sweet 16?

I was wondering, who underperformed more--the bb team with 3 first rounders in 3 years, or the fb team, with 8 draftees this year.

sancho
06-23-2017, 11:45 AM

I don't think I will ever say "only sweet 16." That's such a high mark, especially for us.

I'm not sure there is a takeaway message other than that we had some good luck with players. Although, after his freshman year, I would have never believed that Kuzma would be a first round NBA draft pick. So kudos to the coaching staff on that.

Wright and Poeltl are the opposite, I was sure of their future the first time I saw each of them play.

Applejack
06-23-2017, 11:50 AM
I don't think I will ever say "only sweet 16." That's such a high mark, especially for us.

I'm not sure there is a takeaway message other than that we had some good luck with players. Although, after his freshman year, I would have never believed that Kuzma would be a first round NBA draft pick. So kudos to the coaching staff on that.

Wright and Poeltl are the opposite, I was sure of their future the first time I saw each of them play.

Yeah, Kuzma is the player for whom I have to give props to the coaches. The first time DWright stepped on the court I knew he would get drafted. And Poeltl a few games in I was hoping he would be back for his sophomore season. But during his freshman season, I thought Kuzma would end up a sixth man at best. I was MUCH higher on Chapman. I would not have been shocked to see Chapman eventually.

Nice Marmot
06-23-2017, 11:58 AM
Yeah, Kuzma is the player for whom I have to give props to the coaches. The first time DWright stepped on the court I knew he would get drafted. And Poeltl a few games in I was hoping he would be back for his sophomore season. But during his freshman season, I thought Kuzma would end up a sixth man at best. I was MUCH higher on Chapman. I would not have been shocked to see Chapman eventually.

When they were Fr, Chapman was much better than Kuzma but their Soph seasons they flip-flopped. Chapman looked like he didn't care or want to be here and Kuzma really took a big step forward.

UTEopia
06-23-2017, 12:04 PM

In all fairness, Kuz was not a first rounder 2 years ago. In fact, as of the end of the season, it was borderline that he would even be drafted. Props to him for his handwork and diligence in the combine and workouts. He worked himself into guaranteed money.

SoCalPat
06-23-2017, 12:31 PM
I was wondering, who underperformed more--the bb team with 3 first rounders in 3 years, or the fb team, with 8 draftees this year.

The Sweet 16 is arguably the football equivalent of a Pac-12 South title and possible NY6 game.

The basketball equivalent of the Foster Farms bowl and a 3rd-place division finish is the NIT.

There are arguments for the hoops team underachieving in the Sweet 16 year, but in the end, that was largely the expectation we put on the team in the preseason. And it's still a much higher bar than the one the football team set this year. Based on draft results, football flopped miserably.

sancho
06-23-2017, 12:39 PM
The basketball equivalent of the Foster Farms bowl and a 3rd-place division finish is the NIT.

What's the basketball equivalent of finishing #23 in the nation? A 2nd round game in the NCAA?

Ma'ake
06-23-2017, 01:00 PM
All draft picks are not the same. We set a new record for draft picks with a lot of late rounders, and Kuzma snuck into the first round, but probably won't be a NBA starter (unless he plays for the Kings or some other persistent bottom dweller).

We're still on the way up. We're not USC, and we're not Kentucky. There's room to grow, in both. The talent base in FB should mean we don't have the same hangover CU will, this year. We'll see.

In hoops Larry had a tough year, professionally and personally. (I still don't get his health issues. Geez.) Reason to think some bad apples are gone - we'll see.

Utah
06-23-2017, 09:26 PM
I've heard that LA made a promise to him and that's why he dropped out of the combine.

Ma'ake
06-24-2017, 08:27 AM
I've heard that LA made a promise to him and that's why he dropped out of the combine.

I have a hunch Magic Johnson got background on Kuzma from Michigan, had some insight that helped him see Kuz as having the character to make it.

This is why I think Boston traded the #1 pick. Fultz is unquestionably the best talent, but he's a young kid, who hasn't had the chance to be revealed as a real warrior. The very best have a drive that's over and beyond what 99% of people have. Kobe, MJ, LeBron, Bird, Steph Curry, KD, Stockton. How many guys have been as talented, but didn't have that last 1% of borderline irrational competitiveness that made the difference?

That's why I think the best player in this draft might end up being De'Aaron Fox. That kid absolutely has "it", and he's got the athleticism to go along with it, and will probably develop a decent outside game.

With Fox we may see another John Wall - Fultz may end up having a nice career, but I haven't seen that drive to get to the summit... yet.

SoCalPat
06-25-2017, 10:50 AM
What's the basketball equivalent of finishing #23 in the nation? A 2nd round game in the NCAA?

A cherry-picked data point. None of the first four BCS-era computer rankings I looked up (Sagarin, Massey, Anderson-Hester, Billingsley) had Utah anywhere close to that high in their final rankings, with an average finish of 33. I'll even add your AP poll finish to the mix. Now our average finish is 31st.

There are (about) 120 teams in FBS. At 31st, that puts Utah (roughly) in the 25th percentile of all teams. There are 340 teams playing Division I hoops. A similar placement there would have Utah about 85th -- smack dab in the middle of the NIT.

Scratch
06-25-2017, 11:48 AM
A cherry-picked data point. None of the first four BCS-era computer rankings I looked up (Sagarin, Massey, Anderson-Hester, Billingsley) had Utah anywhere close to that high in their final rankings, with an average finish of 33. I'll even add your AP poll finish to the mix. Now our average finish is 31st.

There are (about) 120 teams in FBS. At 31st, that puts Utah (roughly) in the 25th percentile of all teams. There are 340 teams playing Division I hoops. A similar placement there would have Utah about 85th -- smack dab in the middle of the NIT.

Except that you can't lump Utah in with the vast majority of those 340 teams. While being a top 20 basketball team is more difficult that being a top 20 football team given the number of basketball teams, it's certainly not a direct correlation, not even close. How many of those 340 basketball teams have ever cracked the top 25, let alone have a chance of cracking it in 2017? Certainly more, but not that many more than in football.

SoCalPat
06-25-2017, 12:31 PM
Except that you can't lump Utah in with the vast majority of those 340 teams. While being a top 20 basketball team is more difficult that being a top 20 football team given the number of basketball teams, it's certainly not a direct correlation, not even close. How many of those 340 basketball teams have ever cracked the top 25, let alone have a chance of cracking it in 2017? Certainly more, but not that many more than in football.

But we can lump playing in the Foster Farms bowl as an equivalent to a win in a tournament that's much tougher to get into than making a bowl game?

sancho
06-25-2017, 12:34 PM
A cherry-picked data point.

Sure, but for the past month, you've been going on about Utah underperforming based on one data point.

Part of what makes college football interesting is that it's too complex and chaotic to draw linear conclusions.

SoCalPat
06-25-2017, 12:41 PM
Sure, but for the past month, you've been going on about Utah underperforming based on one data point.

Part of what makes college football interesting is that it's too complex and chaotic to draw linear conclusions.

9 players taken in the draft is a pretty strong data point, since for years we've been talking about how we needed to build our talent level and depth to compete in the Pac-12.

Well, we finally get there, and had more of it than we realized, and now we're supposed to be happy with a season that was no better than the previous two, and in some ways, worse?

sancho
06-25-2017, 12:46 PM
Well, we finally get there, and had more of it than we realized, and now we're supposed to be happy with a season that was no better than the previous two, and in some ways, worse?

You can be happy, or not. Your choice. But you can't logically make the type of conclusion you keep trying to make based on just the one number.

It takes a special kind of negative to look at our draft this year as evidence of a job poorly done. Only Utah fans...

SoCalPat
06-25-2017, 02:31 PM
You can be happy, or not. Your choice. But you can't logically make the type of conclusion you keep trying to make based on just the one number.

It takes a special kind of negative to look at our draft this year as evidence of a job poorly done. Only Utah fans...

I could say likewise it takes a special kind of Pollyanna to look at last season as a success, unless you think successful is finishing 3rd in a 6-team division.

sancho
06-25-2017, 02:41 PM
unless you think successful is finishing 3rd in a 6-team division.

I don't think success can be measured uniformly by any singular stat, including standings.

SoCalPat
06-25-2017, 02:52 PM
I don't think success can be measured uniformly by any singular stat, including standings.

What kind of crap is this? The millstone around this program's neck in the Pac-12 era is the lack of an outright South title when every other school in the division has one. We're not even having this discussion in June if we would've won one by now. And you're saying now that success can't be measured by where you finish in the standings?

It's clear you're still in the "Yay! We're in the Pac-12!" stage of fanhood, where winning anything of consequence is secondary to not getting embarrassed by our opponents and having your feelings hurt by BYU fans. You're just happy to participate. **** that ****.

sancho
06-25-2017, 02:58 PM
What kind of crap is this? The millstone around this program's neck in the Pac-12 era is the lack of an outright South title when every other school in the division has one. We're not even having this discussion in June if we would've won one by now. And you're saying now that success can't be measured by where you finish in the standings?

It's clear you're still in the "Yay! We're in the Pac-12!" stage of fanhood, where winning anything of consequence is secondary to not getting embarrassed by our opponents and having your feelings hurt by BYU fans. You're just happy to participate. Fuck that shit.

I don't think this is an accurate characterization of me. Peace out.

SoCalPat
06-25-2017, 03:13 PM
I don't think this is an accurate characterization of me. Peace out.

From the guy who characterized me/my POV as a special kind of negative. You're rich ...

Utah
06-25-2017, 03:14 PM
Is there any argument that Utah is a top 25 program historically? Or at least borderline top 25?

And Larry is the 14th highest paid coach?

I think we have some pretty clear expectations and those should be higher than football.

SoCalPat
06-25-2017, 03:23 PM
Is there any argument that Utah is a top 25 program historically? Or at least borderline top 25?

And Larry is the 14th highest paid coach?

I think we have some pretty clear expectations and those should be higher than football.

Probably between 20 and 30. I remember a Street & Smith's publication a decade or so ago that had us 11th all-time. A lot has changed since then, obviously, and most of it stuff that wouldn't help our ranking with the criteria used then.

Ma'ake
06-26-2017, 02:01 PM
I don't know if this writer has connections he based his insight on, but he gives Kuzma a lot of credit for dealing with the "my way or the highway" tough Coach K: https://www.pacifictakes.com/utah-utes/2017/6/25/15866642/kyle-kuzma-los-angeles-lakers-nba-draft-2017-video-highlights-scouting-report

I agree with his assessment of Kuzma as a player - length, good vision, passing, etc. Maybe somebody on the board can confirm if Kyle was a "first to arrive, last to leave" kind of worker, but the assessment seems pretty credible, to me.

The remarks about Coach K being demanding and our player turnover situation not being great are also credible.

Again, does this guy have sources? Interesting...

Utah
06-26-2017, 02:14 PM
Everything I've heard, Kuzma and K weren't the best of friends, but credit to Kuzma for being tough, working hard and taking advantage of K to get to the NBA.

justaute
06-26-2017, 02:48 PM
Interesting.

Just nit-picking here -- it would be nice if the author, or editor, understood the difference between there/their and it's/its. It's a published article, not a text or facebook-posting.

I don't know if this writer has connections he based his insight on, but he gives Kuzma a lot of credit for dealing with the "my way or the highway" tough Coach K: https://www.pacifictakes.com/utah-utes/2017/6/25/15866642/kyle-kuzma-los-angeles-lakers-nba-draft-2017-video-highlights-scouting-report

I agree with his assessment of Kuzma as a player - length, good vision, passing, etc. Maybe somebody on the board can confirm if Kyle was a "first to arrive, last to leave" kind of worker, but the assessment seems pretty credible, to me.

The remarks about Coach K being demanding and our player turnover situation not being great are also credible.

Again, does this guy have sources? Interesting...

U-Ute
06-26-2017, 04:07 PM
I wonder how much impact Larry's focus on an NBA style will help/hurt recruiting. Looking at those videos it becomes more apparent that it helped Kuzma get to the NBA.

UtahsMrSports
07-08-2017, 08:17 PM
Kuz is getting great reviews at summer league. Wishing him the best!

Utah
07-08-2017, 09:05 PM
31 points tonight for Kuzma. The guy is doing the work.

Ma'ake
07-09-2017, 09:27 AM
Great night for Kuz. Decent debut in the first game, too, with 9 points / 4 rebounds, when Ball played as poorly as I've ever seen him play.

In retrospect, it's been a remarkable journey for Kuzma, from being a skinny freshman who clearly had less promise than Chapman, to being all PAC-12 (and getting serious kudos from Ivan Rabb, who ended up being drafted behind him), the article to LA Lakers fans about the homework Magic Johnson did on Kuz to justify him being taken in the first round, to a nice start to NBA summer ball.

(Related to the article, hopefully Coach K and staff are doing similar research on what recruits will be able to weather the old-school coaching approach. It worked great with Kuz, Poeltl, Wright, etc. The recent year transfers were misses, of one kind or another.)

It's looking like Kuz has a good chance to be a solid contributor in the NBA. Everything in his baskeball journey suggests he'll quietly just keep getting better.

Utah
07-17-2017, 04:04 PM
Was listening to ESPN LA and they love Kuzma. Talked about him off and on the whole hour I listened.

Fun stuff.

Can't believe they traded Mosgov for Lopez (cap space/LeBron) and Kuzma.

Dwight Schr-Ute
07-18-2017, 07:22 AM
Kuzma led the Lakers to a Summer League championship last night. I always knew that Kuzma had what it takes to win a championship in Vegas. Just figured it would be in March wearing the D&F. Kyle was awarded the championship MVP with 30 points, 10 rebounds and a handful of steals. (Lonzo didn't play.) He also earned Summer League Second Team. One of the biggest developments has been his consistency at the three. Last night he was 6-10 from beyond the arc.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui9hjWvb_dQ

UTEopia
07-18-2017, 07:54 AM
Good for Kuz. I admit I did not believe he was an NBA player. The NBA underclass advisory committee gave him a late second to undrafted eval. but Kuz believed in himself, worked hard and it all paid off for him.

concerned
07-18-2017, 08:10 AM
Good for Kuz. I admit I did not believe he was an NBA player. The NBA underclass advisory committee gave him a late second to undrafted eval. but Kuz believed in himself, worked hard and it all paid off for him.

Boy me either. I never thought he would be able to hit an NBA 3 consistently, or play the stretch 4.

Ma'ake
07-18-2017, 01:04 PM

To be fair (to you) this is NBA Summer League ball, not the NBA. With the serious step up in talent coming, he'll struggle, and he definitely won't be knocking down the 3s at the clip he has in Vegas. I think he biggest risk is being exposed athletically on D in isolation against some of the freaks in the NBA - imagine him trying to deal with the Greek Freak - but I think Kuz will adjust his game and be able to contribute.

Any time your playing for Magic Johnson, and he's singing your praises... life is good. Soak it all up, Kuz.

I'd be surprised if he weighs more than 210, right now. He's been running his ass off in Vegas, with Ball playing the role of Tom Brady. It's been a fun little dynamic, torching Summer League defenses that haven't been expecting it.

Kyle's going to on the very edge of what his body can do, in terms of strength, explosion, endurance. I still see him as more of a Chandler Parsons kind of athlete, and if he can keep his 3 game in the mid to upper 30s in percentage, he'll be fine. Probably never an All-Star, but he's hit the lottery, from where he was as a Freshman.

Also, nice to see Magic Johnson looking pretty good, even a little chunky. There was a time in the early 90s when I thought he was a goner. Great that HIV isn't an automatic death sentence, anymore.

hostile
08-17-2017, 01:56 PM
I guess this could go in the Delon Wright thread as well. kuzma, delon, Brandon Taylor, Chris Reyes, etc all at Highland High for Delons bball camp. Fun to see these guys hang out with the local kids.

U-Ute
08-17-2017, 04:00 PM
I guess this could go in the Delon Wright thread as well. kuzma, delon, Brandon Taylor, Chris Reyes, etc all at Highland High for Delons bball camp. Fun to see these guys hang out with the local kids.

This needs more exposure. That's awesome.

hostile
08-17-2017, 04:27 PM
This needs more exposure. That's awesome.
2 more days of camp - Friday/Saturday. I'm not sure who will be there those days. The camp was originally at Rast HE but had to be moved due to recent flooding.

U-Ute
08-19-2017, 07:29 PM
Kuz made an appearance at Fan Fest. My boys got their picture with him. He was sitting off in the shade with the coaches next to K, not in the tent with the players.

I told my boys afterwards that they were standing next to two multi millionaires. It blew their minds.

NorthwestUteFan
08-24-2017, 03:51 PM
Kuz made an appearance at Fan Fest. My boys got their picture with him. He was sitting off in the shade with the coaches next to K, not in the tent with the players.

I told my boys afterwards that they were standing next to two multi millionaires. It blew their minds.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI assure you that statement also blows Krystkowiak's and Kuzma's minds as well.

LA Ute
09-13-2017, 11:01 AM
Lakers news: Magic Johnson calls Kyle Kuzma ‘steal’ of 2017 NBA Draft (https://clutchpoints.com/lakers-news-magic-johnson-calls-kyle-kuzma-steal-2017-nba-draft/)

Solon
10-05-2017, 12:39 PM
Lakers news: Magic Johnson calls Kyle Kuzma ‘steal’ of 2017 NBA Draft (https://clutchpoints.com/lakers-news-magic-johnson-calls-kyle-kuzma-steal-2017-nba-draft/)

Lots of love for Kuzma.
https://bballbreakdown.com/2017/10/03/the-breakdown-lakers-enter-the-kyle-kuzma-era/

He looks great.

U-Ute
10-05-2017, 01:33 PM

Jinkies!

l4HnY84pKDQCwm7II

Scorcho
10-26-2017, 09:56 AM
Jonathan Wasserman‏Verified account @NBADraftWass (https://twitter.com/NBADraftWass)FollowFollow
@NBADraftWass

More

Poeltl averaging 9.5, 9.0, 1.8 blocks. Delon Wright playing 27 min/game. Kuzma steal of the draft? Utah hoops, nice start to the NBA season.

https://twitter.com/NBADraftWass/status/923575658818822144

Applejack
11-10-2017, 07:28 AM
Mods, please retitle this thread "The Kyle Kuzma, 2017-18 NBA Rookie of the Year, Thread." TIA.

Ma'ake
11-15-2017, 06:50 PM
Not much Utah coverage, but Kuzma's picking up some quality reporting: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21416019/nba-how-kyle-kuzma-old-school-moves-made-perfect-fit-new-lakers-era

Scorcho
11-16-2017, 08:28 AM
kuzma = 24 points, 7 boards last night

meanwhile Delon Wright hurt his shoulder again ... bummer

https://clutchpoints.com/raptors-news-delon-wright-leaves-game-shoulder-injury/

Mormon Red Death
11-16-2017, 12:59 PM
"In high school, AAU, even prep school, I didn't really know how to play basketball," Kuzma says. "It was kind of like, 'Let's throw the balls out, go get buckets, just score and go play.' Once I got to college, I didn't know defensive rotations, my footwork was sloppy. I used to travel every other play."

Kuzma article (http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21416019/nba-how-kyle-kuzma-old-school-moves-made-perfect-fit-new-lakers-era)

Applejack
11-22-2017, 07:24 AM
http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=21509701

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=21510791

LA Ute
11-26-2017, 09:01 AM
Good story.

How Kyle Kuzma found a path to the Lakers from a YMCA basketball court in Flint

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-kyle-kuzma-20171120-htmlstory.html#nws=true

Scorcho
12-20-2017, 08:42 PM
Kuz had an okay game tonight 37 points

Applejack
12-20-2017, 08:43 PM

I'm so happy for kuzma. I never, ever saw this coming, but good on him.

hostile
12-20-2017, 10:16 PM
I'm so happy for kuzma. I never, ever saw this coming, but good on him.
I knew he would have a great year after my youngest made it on his Instagram feed.
http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa474/hawesjp/0F250C88-0D3F-42F5-BF98-823AC69B28D8.png (http://s1199.photobucket.com/user/hawesjp/media/0F250C88-0D3F-42F5-BF98-823AC69B28D8.png.html)

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-21-2017, 12:29 AM

Don’t short change the kid. 38 points.

LA Ute
12-22-2017, 11:39 AM
Do you guys think Larry wonders (privately or not) if he under-utilized Kuzma?

Diehard Ute
12-22-2017, 02:45 PM
Do you guys think Larry wonders (privately or not) if he under-utilized Kuzma?

This doesn’t necessarily answer your question, but there was an interesting interview with Draymond Green posted today.

He is asked about Lebron and quickly changes the subject to Kuzma.

He said he’s watch Kuz for a long time, and you could see the flashes in college when it was obvious he had the ability....but he said you could also see the times when Kuz “wasn’t interested”.

I think we all saw the type of player Kuz can be when he’s on....but I don’t know that any coach could coax that out of Kuz for long periods. Seems the switch clicked on during the draft process.

concerned
12-22-2017, 03:02 PM
This doesn’t necessarily answer your question, but there was an interesting interview with Draymond Green posted today.

He is asked about Lebron and quickly changes the subject to Kuzma.

He said he’s watch Kuz for a long time, and you could see the flashes in college when it was obvious he had the ability....but he said you could also see the times when Kuz “wasn’t interested”.

I think we all saw the type of player Kuz can be when he’s on....but I don’t know that any coach could coax that out of Kuz for long periods. Seems the switch clicked on during the draft process.

I always thought he was a headcase. Would make a great play, then a boneheaded play. Never showed a will to win, never seemed like much of a leader. Never shot that well from 3. I thought he would get drafted in the second round then sit toward the end of the bench for a couple of years. What do I know.

sancho
12-22-2017, 04:20 PM
I'm skeptical that Draymond Green was closely following Kuzma in college. I also don't really buy the "lazy Kuz" story. He was completely hopeless as a freshman, and he improved each year. He earned his spot as a sophomore by working hard on defense and rebounding. It was always clear he wanted to shoot threes, and I'm sure he worked hard on his shot. His percentage improved each season.

He never had a great PG, and last season in particular he was surrounded by mediocrity. He's got Ball now, and he can play his natural position for the Lakers.

Diehard Ute
12-22-2017, 04:31 PM
I'm skeptical that Draymond Green was closely following Kuzma in college. I also don't really buy the "lazy Kuz" story. He was completely hopeless as a freshman, and he improved each year. He earned his spot as a sophomore by working hard on defense and rebounding. It was always clear he wanted to shoot threes, and I'm sure he worked hard on his shot. His percentage improved each season.

He never had a great PG, and last season in particular he was surrounded by mediocrity. He's got Ball now, and he can play his natural position for the Lakers.

Draymond is from Saginaw, Michigan, a 35 minute drive from Flint.

Fairly certain Draymond knew of and followed Kuz even before college.

Kuz 3 point shooting has skyrocketed so far in the NBA. In college he never shot above 32% which he did both his freshman and junior years, his sophomore year was very poor.

The biggest improvements to Kuz game in college came in rebounding, he jumped 4 a game his final year.

sancho
12-22-2017, 04:48 PM
Draymond is from Saginaw, Michigan, a 35 minute drive from Flint.

Fairly certain Draymond knew of and followed Kuz even before college.

Yeah, I was aware of this. I still bet I watched way more Kuzma at the U than Dray. I don't think I missed any games.

Anyway, the point is that lazy isn't really a term that applied to Kuzma in college.

Diehard Ute
12-22-2017, 04:50 PM
Yeah, I was aware of this. I still bet I watched way more Kuzma at the U than Dray. I don't think I missed any games.

Anyway, the point is that lazy isn't really a term that applied to Kuzma in college.

He didn’t call him lazy. He said there were stretches where he wasn’t interested.

I watched as much Kuz as you, and I think it’s a pretty accurate description. To say Kuz brought it every game would be far from accurate

sancho
12-22-2017, 04:53 PM
To say Kuz brought it every game would be far from accurate

Not that far. The man worked hard for three years. I suppose nobody compares to Draymond for in-game effort, but Kuzma was not a slacker.

LA Ute
12-25-2017, 08:51 AM
NBA Rookie Power Rankings: Lonzo turning corner for Lakers, but it's Kuzma's world

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-rookie-power-rankings-lonzo-turning-corner-for-lakers-but-its-kuzmas-world/

U-Ute
12-25-2017, 12:42 PM
My kids got this in one of their Christmas packs. They’re stoked.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171225/d91e6d49dbf9840001672cfcb458fea5.jpg

Ma'ake
12-25-2017, 04:35 PM
He didn’t call him lazy. He said there were stretches where he wasn’t interested.

I watched as much Kuz as you, and I think it’s a pretty accurate description. To say Kuz brought it every game would be far from accurate

I remember Kuz had conditioning / elevation adjustment issues, used to get gassed, especially for being pretty skinny, in the first year or two. Though he's a lot stronger and in better shape, I'll bet he really, REALLY wouldn't appreciate a trade to the Jazz or Nuggets, lol.

LA Ute
01-03-2018, 12:35 PM
The Real Big Baller’s Brand: Kuzmania

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/1/3/16844192/los-angeles-lakers-kyle-kuzma-rookie-sensation-feature

U-Ute
01-27-2018, 07:15 AM
Kuz wins Twitter.

Scorcho
03-14-2018, 10:32 AM
Los Angeles Lakers‏Verified account @Lakers (https://twitter.com/Lakers) 11h11 hours ago (https://twitter.com/Lakers/status/973797874692599808)More

Kyle Kuzma hit five triples tonight as he caught fire in the second half, finishing with 26 points and 13 boards #LakersWin (https://twitter.com/hashtag/LakersWin?src=hash)

https://twitter.com/Lakers/status/973797874692599808

Ad · 0:05

LA Ute
03-14-2018, 10:50 AM
Los Angeles Lakers‏Verified account @Lakers (https://twitter.com/Lakers) 11h11 hours ago (https://twitter.com/Lakers/status/973797874692599808)More

Kyle Kuzma hit five triples tonight as he caught fire in the second half, finishing with 26 points and 13 boards #LakersWin (https://twitter.com/hashtag/LakersWin?src=hash)

https://twitter.com/Lakers/status/973797874692599808

But...Lonzo Ball!

U-Ute
03-19-2018, 02:05 PM
Kuzzy representing.

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-27-2018, 01:59 PM
Strange little clip by Bleacher Report with Kyle Kuzma. Strange coming from a highly ranked, well recruited kid who ended up being a P5 all conference team member.

chrisrenrut
05-22-2018, 04:17 PM
Kuzma make the All-Rookie 1st Team, along with Simmons, Mitchell, Tatum, and Markkanen. Pretty good company.

http://www.nba.com/article/2018/05/22/all-rookie-teams-release-2017-18-season