PDA

View Full Version : Utah Utes 2017 football pre-season

Pages : [1] 2

LA Ute
05-29-2017, 10:42 PM
The 9 best over/under win total bets for the 2017 college football season

Utah Utes (OVER 6 ½)

This one is simply a history play. Are you really betting that Kyle Whittingham, one of the most underrated coaches in college football, finishes .500 or worse this season? It seems unlikely considering he’s won at least nine games each of the last three years. Plus, the Utes have a manageable schedule that includes three winnable out-of-conference games (at BYU, San Jose State and North Dakota) and four of their final six games at home.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/gallery/college-football-over-under-win-totals-2017-best-bets-worst-bets-winners-052217?sf82041725=1

DrumNFeather
05-31-2017, 01:18 PM
Some TV times/networks announced:

8/31 (Thu) vs. North Dakota, 5:30 PM, MT Pac 12 Networks
9/9 @ BYU, 8:15, PM, MT ESPN2
9/16 vs. SJSU, 8:00 PM, MT ESPN 2
9/22 (Fri) @ Arizona, 8:30 PM, MT, FS1
11/3 (Fri) vs. UCLA, 7:30 PM, MT FS1

Rocker Ute
05-31-2017, 02:10 PM
Some TV times/networks announced:

8/31 (Thu) vs. North Dakota, 5:30 PM, MT Pac 12 Networks
9/9 @ BYU, 8:15, PM, MT ESPN2
9/16 vs. SJSU, 8:00 PM, MT ESPN 2
9/22 (Fri) @ Arizona, 8:30 PM, MT, FS1
11/3 (Fri) vs. UCLA, 7:30 PM, MT FS1

So if I'm ever for a late starting game it is in the heat of the end of summer. I wish we were starting the 8/31 game at 8:30. Instead we'll have a 8:30 start in November.

Dwight Schr-Ute
06-01-2017, 08:54 AM
Utah has a winning Pac-12 formula, but it’ll be harder in 2017
Kyle Whittingham teams overachieve with defense and special teams, but 2017 has a few things to consider.
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/6/1/15706610/utah-utes-football-2017-preview-schedule-roster (http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/6/1/15706610/utah-utes-football-2017-preview-schedule-roster)

concerned
06-01-2017, 08:58 AM
Utah has a winning Pac-12 formula, but it’ll be harder in 2017

Kyle Whittingham teams overachieve with defense and special teams, but 2017 has a few things to consider.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/6/1/15706610/utah-utes-football-2017-preview-schedule-roster (http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/6/1/15706610/utah-utes-football-2017-preview-schedule-roster)

This offense better work or we are in a lot of trouble.

I heard or read somewhere that Cal offered Troy Taylor the oc job after Taylor had accepted utah, and hired the EWU head coach when Taylor turned it down. have no idea if that is true.

UTEopia
06-01-2017, 11:35 AM
This offense better work or we are in a lot of trouble.

I am more confident that the defense can re-load and that special teams will continue to be good (if we find a field goal kicker - the guys in spring were terrible) than I do that the offense can make tremendous strides given that we will be starting 4 young and inexperienced offensive linemen. One of the keys the past two years is the the offense has not thrown a lot of interceptions. The article indicates that Utah ran the ball 56% last year while EWU only ran it 39%. Obviously wins/losses and points scored will be the ultimate indicators of whether the offense has improved or not, but it will be interesting to watch % run/pass, scoring touchdowns in the redzone, whether the QB can improve the 53% completion rate (not all the QB's fault as I would guess the Utes averaged at least 3 easy catch drops per game) and the number of interceptions.

concerned
06-01-2017, 11:38 AM
I am more confident that the defense can re-load and that special teams will continue to be good (if we find a field goal kicker - the guys in spring were terrible) than I do that the offense can make tremendous strides given that we will be starting 4 young and inexperienced offensive linemen. One of the keys the past two years is the the offense has not thrown a lot of interceptions. The article indicates that Utah ran the ball 56% last year while EWU only ran it 39%. Obviously wins/losses and points scored will be the ultimate indicators of whether the offense has improved or not, but it will be interesting to watch % run/pass, scoring touchdowns in the redzone, whether the QB can improve the 53% completion rate (not all the QB's fault as I would guess the Utes averaged at least 3 easy catch drops per game) and the number of interceptions.

I worry about a lot of 3 and outs (a return to the early Dave Christensen year) that puts the d on the filed a lot more, and in precarious positions. Sure hope that doesn't happen, esp. while the offense gets the timing down.

UTEopia
06-01-2017, 12:22 PM
I worry about a lot of 3 and outs (a return to the early Dave Christensen year) that puts the d on the filed a lot more, and in precarious positions. Sure hope that doesn't happen, esp. while the offense gets the timing down.

I don't particularly like playing FCS teams, but I am happy we have one this year as BYU's defense will probably be as good as many of the PAC 12 defenses we will see this year; not UW, USC or Stanford, but as good as, or a little better than, the others.

Dwight Schr-Ute
06-01-2017, 06:54 PM
A crucial piece for this season officially signed today!
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170602/25101e14fb41bfef50c4fde546528976.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrisrenrut
06-01-2017, 08:00 PM
A crucial piece for this season officially signed today!
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170602/25101e14fb41bfef50c4fde546528976.jpg

6 feet tall and 160 lbs? Is he a kicker?

Dwight Schr-Ute
06-01-2017, 08:29 PM
6 feet tall and 160 lbs? Is he a kicker?

Yes. Our kicking game was rancid this spring. The hope has been that this kid lives up to the hype.

Dwight Schr-Ute
06-02-2017, 02:19 PM
I haven't listened yet, but 41 minutes of talking offense with Coach Taylor has to be a good thing, right?

https://espn700sports.com/interviews/troy-taylor-utah-offensive-coordinator-6-2-17/

justaute
06-02-2017, 02:29 PM
Look forward to seeing how good CJ really is. It's not easy for a high school kicker to get a scholarship.

LA Ute
06-03-2017, 08:12 AM
I haven't listened yet, but 41 minutes of talking offense with Coach Taylor has to be a good thing, right?

https://espn700sports.com/interviews/troy-taylor-utah-offensive-coordinator-6-2-17/

It's a great interview and well worth a listen. The headline, "Troy Taylor Is In Complete Control," is true to the content. This is going to be fascinating to watch as the season unfolds -- especially in the closing minutes of close games.

sancho
06-03-2017, 10:07 AM
especially in the closing minutes of close games.

I didn't listen. Can you explain?

LA Ute
06-03-2017, 10:21 AM
I didn't listen. Can you explain?

Well, in brief, what stood out to me were these parts of the interview:

The guy clearly has a well-developed offensive philosophy. He talked about all the studying he's done a football offenses, went down a list of various approaches used by the various grades, many of whom he learned from, and generally he sounds like an offensive"mind," if you will forgive me for using such a trite term. That is something new during the Whittingham era. He said that watching Urban Meyer's offense at Utah was a turning point in his own offensive philosophy. He went to Las Vegas and spent a few days with Mike Sanford just to learn as much as he could about that offense.

He also emphasize that the number one condition to his taking the job at Utah was to have total control over the offense. I just wonder what that will mean. I hope he gets it, and I wonder if he will have it during the closing moments of close games. We have heard all along that Kyle has not interfered in the offense, except at crucial game moments, especially when the Utes are trying to hang onto a small lead at the end of a game. I am not enough of a football mind myself to really have much of an opinion about that, but it will be interesting to watch.

He builds his offense around the quarterback, and considers the quarterback the most important player on the team, recognizing that the QB cannot succeed without good receivers and a good line. His offense is designed to be flexible enough to adapt to the skills of the best quarterback available. But we have known that about him for a while. What interested me the most was the apparent depth of his thinking about offense, and his desire to have total control, along with Kyle's commitment to give that to him.

concerned
06-03-2017, 10:32 AM
Well, in brief, what stood out to me were these parts of the interview:

The guy clearly has a well-developed offensive philosophy. He talked about all the studying he's done a football offenses, went down a list of various approaches used by the various grades, many of whom he learned from, and generally he sounds like an offensive"mind," if you will forgive me for using such a trite term. That is something new during the Whittingham era. He said that watching Urban Meyer's offense at Utah was a turning point in his own offensive philosophy. He went to Las Vegas and spent a few days with Mike Sanford just to learn as much as he could about that offense.

He also emphasize that the number one condition to his taking the job at Utah was to have total control over the offense. I just wonder what that will mean. I hope he gets it, and I wonder if he will have it during the closing moments of close games. We have heard all along that Kyle has not interfered in the offense, except at crucial game moments, especially when the Utes are trying to hang onto a small lead at the end of a game. I am not enough of a football mind myself to really have much of an opinion about that, but it will be interesting to watch.

He builds his offense around the quarterback, and considers the quarterback the most important player on the team, recognizing that the QB cannot succeed without good receivers and a good line. His offense is designed to be flexible enough to adapt to the skills of the best quarterback available. But we have known that about him for a while. What interested me the most was the apparent depth of his thinking about offense, and his desire to have total control, along with Kyle's commitment to give that to him.

did he say whether he thinks he has the personnel to implement his offense now, or whether it will take a couple of recruiting classes?

UTEopia
06-03-2017, 11:01 AM
did he say whether he thinks he has the personnel to implement his offense now, or whether it will take a couple of recruiting classes?
he said that they do, but really, what else is he going to say. He did say that the offense is most different for the WRs because they have route options/adjustments based on coverage.

concerned
06-03-2017, 11:45 AM
he said that they do, but really, what else is he going to say. He did say that the offense is most different for the WRs because they have route options/adjustments based on coverage.

Lots of new coaches cover their rear ends/hedge their bets/lower fan expectations/take pressure off the players by saying it is going to take a while to fully implement their offense/defense. Just wondering if he said anything like that.

LA Ute
06-03-2017, 11:59 AM
Lots of new coaches cover their rear ends/hedge their bets/lower fan expectations/take pressure off the players by saying it is going to take a while to fully implement their offense/defense. Just wondering if he said anything like that.

He did not. He commented favorably more than once on the talent level.

concerned
06-03-2017, 12:45 PM
He did not. He commented favorably more than once on the talent level.

Based on what Ive read about Jack Tuttle's performance at the Elite 11 this weekend, Taylor is probably salivating about getting him. Seems really comparable to Jake Browning.

Utah
06-03-2017, 02:31 PM
Based on what Ive read about Jack Tuttle's performance at the Elite 11 this weekend, Taylor is probably salivating about getting him. Seems really comparable to Jake Browning.

A more mobile Browning.

sancho
06-03-2017, 04:34 PM
We have heard all along that Kyle has not interfered in the offense, except at crucial game moments

Thanks. We have heard this a lot, primarily from fans. Thing is, we have a very good record in close games. Kyle generally makes good decisions in these situations.

Taylor sounds confident. I assume he's smart enough to listen to the wealth of experience available to him on this coaching staff.

LA Ute
06-03-2017, 06:24 PM
Thanks. We have heard this a lot, primarily from fans. Thing is, we have a very good record in close games. Kyle generally makes good decisions in these situations.

I have moved beyond criticizing Kyle's game management. You are right, I think he wins 2/3 of games decided by a touchdown or less. I think it is undisputed that during crunch time in close games, he makes all the key decisions. Nothing wrong with that. I am sure a lot of head coaches do the same thing. Every time Utah has the ball and the lead with a couple of minutes to go, the offense is very conservative. That is to avoid picks and other mistakes that might cost the team the game. Makes total sense. I personally don't like it when that results in us giving the ball back to the other team and thus a chance to win in the final minute or two. (BYU 2016, for example.) But I can't argue with the overall results.

All I was talking about was the idea that Taylor would have total control of the offense. I just wonder if that total control extends to crunch time. If it does, it will be a departure from past practice. I don't care what Kyle decides, it will just be interesting to watch.

UTEopia
06-03-2017, 11:04 PM
All I was talking about was the idea that Taylor would have total control of the offense. I just wonder if that total control extends to crunch time. If it does, it will be a departure from past practice. I don't care what Kyle decides, it will just be interesting to watch.

There was one part of the interview where the total control question was asked a little differently. Taylor was asked who would have the final say on who the starting QB would be. Taylor said Whit would have the final say, but that he believed his opinion would be highly valued. What does this mean? When Terrance Cain was a junior and Wynn a true freshmen, the offensive coaches wanted to go with Wynn and were overruled. Whit also made the decision to replace Cain with Wynn at halftime of the Wyoming game and again the following year at halftime of the BYU game. Wynn came back in after Cain threw picks on his first two series. So, total control is a relative thing.

Dwight Schr-Ute
06-03-2017, 11:47 PM
Hopefully Javelin Guidry's hands are as deadly as his legs.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170604/587b29f0be14d6fb723129a014d8cc5c.jpg

sancho
06-04-2017, 07:33 AM
So, total control is a relative thing.

In this case, it probably means he can implement the offense he wants to implement. I'm sure the head coach still has input on game decisions.

This is a good situation for Taylor. Whittingham knows the Pac 12 much better than Taylor does. He's the most experienced head coach in the conference. Taylor has a chance to learn a ton here.

Dwight Schr-Ute
06-05-2017, 04:38 PM
Empey makes it official.

Utah
06-05-2017, 04:51 PM
Eh. Empey was scored as a 0.84 as a OG.
Capra was .84
Dixon was .84
Grant was .85
Paulo was .87
Peck was .83
Scott was .85
Umana was .84
Unutoa was .84
Richardson was .85
Agasiva .86

Empey is solid, but not essential. I'd probably go to BYU if I were him as well. Play for your dad and a lot easier path to playing than at Utah.

Those are all the OL recruits that came in his class (2015) or 2016 or 2017. He'd be a true freshman this fall, so he'd have a huge uphill battle for playing time at Utah. At BYU, he is probably already penciled in as a starter next fall.

Get used to these kinds of transfers, especially with kids from Utah. When they go on a mission, they lose a bit. When they come home, they are behind the 8 ball. Kids like this have two options: Go to Utah, fight for playing time, and quite possibly never see the field until they are seniors (Harvey Langi) or go to Utah and play a lot your first year and start by year two (if not by year 1).

A lot of those borderline kids will choose the playing time over fighting/developing at Utah.

Utah
06-05-2017, 05:08 PM
Also, the risk you run at a school like BYU is the Harvey Langi Experience:

BYU is so thin at their positions that there is a good chance you play out of position at your time at BYU and you are undervalued when it comes to the draft.

Langi was a LB. Whitt wanted him at LB. Had he stayed at Utah, he would have played LB in a backup role until his SR year. BUT, as a SR, he would have been an absolute MONSTER at LB with Luafatasaga. He would have been drafted at a minimum, maybe even a top three round guy.

But, he would not have played much until he was a SR.

At BYU, he played right away. BUT, he was then moved out of position to DE, where he struggled his SR year and did not get drafted.

That is the risk you run going to a school like BYU. Utah puts kids in the NFL. Especially on defense and on the OL. They will do you right. You may not play right away, but when you do, you will be in the best position to succeed.

Other schools? They might need you somewhere else, and risk your NFL future by doing so.

sancho
06-05-2017, 05:18 PM
When they go on a mission, they lose a bit.

I agree with the rest of your post, but this statement is incomplete. Return missionaries are great on the lines because it is easier to add muscle at ages 20-25 than 18-23. I'm always happy to have RMs on the lines. A 25 year old who's been in the weight room for the past 2 years is going to steamroll a lot of opponents. This is a big reason BYU has managed to stay decent as a G5 program.

Utah
06-05-2017, 08:19 PM
I agree with the rest of your post, but this statement is incomplete. Return missionaries are great on the lines because it is easier to add muscle at ages 20-25 than 18-23. I'm always happy to have RMs on the lines. A 25 year old who's been in the weight room for the past 2 years is going to steamroll a lot of opponents. This is a big reason BYU has managed to stay decent as a G5 program.

In the MWC, yeah. We ain't in the MWC anymore. In the MWC, Empey is one of our best OL. Not anymore. Now, he's just average.

I'd rather a big, Brawny, athletic kid over a 24 year old slower, less athletic any day of the week.

It's an advantage when your recruiting is lacking. A two star 24 year old bumps up to a three star talent.

But no one takes the older two star over a younger, better player.

Finally, BYU is relevant for one reason: their schedules suck. That's it.

sancho
06-05-2017, 08:34 PM
In the MWC, yeah. We ain't in the MWC anymore. In the MWC, Empey is one of our best OL. Not anymore. Now, he's just average.

I'd rather a big, Brawny, athletic kid over a 24 year old slower, less athletic any day of the week.

It's an advantage when your recruiting is lacking. A two star 24 year old bumps up to a three star talent.

But no one takes the older two star over a younger, better player.

Finally, BYU is relevant for one reason: their schedules suck. That's it.

Sure. I'm just saying that - all else being equal - I'll take the older lineman over the younger one. I'm not losing any sleep over Empey or anyone else down in Provo.

Utah
06-05-2017, 09:24 PM
Sure. I'm just saying that - all else being equal - I'll take the older lineman over the younger one. I'm not losing any sleep over Empey or anyone else down in Provo.

True. I think we may be saying the same thing. Lol. Good old message boards.

I'll take the better player, no matter the age.
If two are equal, I'll take the RM.

NorthwestUteFan
06-06-2017, 08:10 AM
Good for Empey. I'm sure he made the best decision for himself.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk

Ma'ake
06-06-2017, 10:59 AM
Assuming he gets to camp this fall, Jav Guidry will be the fastest Ute, ever. Yesterday he cranked out a 10.13 100m in the CIF 100m championship.

(The 2nd guy got a 10.33. Look at the difference between them.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ9Q72ujIaY

Guidry is 5-9/188 - basically the same build as Brice McCain. It would be a tragedy if this kid doesn't run track for the Utes next spring.

Utah
06-06-2017, 11:42 AM
It would be a tragedy if this kid doesn't run track for the Utes next spring.

Utah doesn't have a track team, me thinks.

Ma'ake
06-06-2017, 01:08 PM
Utah doesn't have a track team, me thinks.

They definitely don't have a full team, but I think there are a few long distance women, and a couple of guys qualified for PAC-12 championship, etc.

It wouldn't be a Title 9 hit if they let Fulks and Guidry run some sprints. I don't even think those two would need a coach, they've been running track so long they have the technique down. We're talking minimal outlay, no scholarship hit. Kenric Young has some track credentials, but Guidry and Fulks would contend in the PAC. We have an incoming RB, Green (?) who was the Arizona State 110m hurdles champ, which isn't saying a lot in terms of track credentials.

Just as CU not having a baseball team kind of isolates that school from the rest of the conference, in the spring, not taking advantage of a few seriously talented athletes on the football team, to help build up the credentials of the school (and even the football) team, when the opportunity is there for the taking, is just dumb, IMO.

5 years ago we were trying to get Kalfani Mohommed (?) who ended up being a pretty good RB at Cal. He also happened to be serious about track, which might have been part of why he went to Cal. (I'm shooting in the dark on this point.)

Minimal investment - just do it!

Utah
06-06-2017, 02:21 PM
Man, great post and great idea. I love it. I know who I want as our next AD when Hill decides to ride into the sunset.

UTEopia
06-06-2017, 05:43 PM
They definitely don't have a full team, but I think there are a few long distance women, and a couple of guys qualified for PAC-12 championship, etc.

It wouldn't be a Title 9 hit if they let Fulks and Guidry run some sprints. I don't even think those two would need a coach, they've been running track so long they have the technique down. We're talking minimal outlay, no scholarship hit. Kenric Young has some track credentials, but Guidry and Fulks would contend in the PAC. We have an incoming RB, Green (?) who was the Arizona State 110m hurdles champ, which isn't saying a lot in terms of track credentials.

Just as CU not having a baseball team kind of isolates that school from the rest of the conference, in the spring, not taking advantage of a few seriously talented athletes on the football team, to help build up the credentials of the school (and even the football) team, when the opportunity is there for the taking, is just dumb, IMO.

5 years ago we were trying to get Kalfani Mohommed (?) who ended up being a pretty good RB at Cal. He also happened to be serious about track, which might have been part of why he went to Cal. (I'm shooting in the dark on this point.)

Minimal investment - just do it!

It isn't the AD who won't fund players to participate in track. Whit will not allow any participation during spring football. The players have from the time spring football ends until the Tuesday after Memorial Day to go home and relax and not have any class or football related activities. This assumes they don't go to the first session of summer semester. To participate in track you would give up your only break in the year. They also have a break from the end of the season/bowl game until the start of Winter semester.

Ma'ake
06-06-2017, 06:25 PM
It isn't the AD who won't fund players to participate in track. Whit will not allow any participation during spring football. The players have from the time spring football ends until the Tuesday after Memorial Day to go home and relax and not have any class or football related activities. This assumes they don't go to the first session of summer semester. To participate in track you would give up your only break in the year. They also have a break from the end of the season/bowl game until the start of Winter semester.

I know Whitt's job is to make football players and the time commitment and scheduling aren't friendly... I'm just saying we're getting guys that can generate buzz for the TV commentators, and that's a serious potential recruiting goldmine. 10.13? He beat the 10.33 kid by about 8 feet. Crazy.

I can see Guidry having a shot to take the 100m in the PAC-12, and going on to the NCAA nationals. Seeing that kind of performance in a Utah uniform would draw at least 1 or 2 more elite speed kids a year. Fulks may amount to something this year - you never know with these kids - and I thought he scored on the KO at CU late last year. Even if they have hands of stone, those kind of athletes could make a few plays a year that end up in the plus column, on special teams or on defense. Think Cal Beck.

This year's State of Utah 100m champ ran about a 10.8, is considered quite a stud. Guidry would have smoked him by 7+ yards, easy.

UTEopia
06-06-2017, 09:17 PM
I know Whitt's job is to make football players and the time commitment and scheduling aren't friendly... I'm just saying we're getting guys that can generate buzz for the TV commentators, and that's a serious potential recruiting goldmine. 10.13? He beat the 10.33 kid by about 8 feet. Crazy.

I can see Guidry having a shot to take the 100m in the PAC-12, and going on to the NCAA nationals. Seeing that kind of performance in a Utah uniform would draw at least 1 or 2 more elite speed kids a year. Fulks may amount to something this year - you never know with these kids - and I thought he scored on the KO at CU late last year. Even if they have hands of stone, those kind of athletes could make a few plays a year that end up in the plus column, on special teams or on defense. Think Cal Beck.

This year's State of Utah 100m champ ran about a 10.8, is considered quite a stud. Guidry would have smoked him by 7+ yards, easy.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just saying that I don't think it will happen because spring football is more important to Whit than track and a month off is more important than to 99% of football players than running track.

Dwight Schr-Ute
06-06-2017, 11:13 PM
Let the games begin!

Utah
06-07-2017, 07:14 AM
Bernard, Mangum, and Koroma have no business in the top 10. They wouldn't even play for Utah.

Utah
06-07-2017, 07:16 AM
Kaufusi ahead of Luafatasaga? Lol. Wilson and Simpkins are better than any WR's BYU has. Anae is better than any DL BYU has. Hart may be as well.

UTEopia
06-07-2017, 10:51 AM
Bernard, Mangum, and Koroma have no business in the top 10. They wouldn't even play for Utah.

I don't know about Bernard. He is an LB, right? So he might start at Utah. Mangum would be the starter if he had been at Utah from the beginning and Koroma would start this year. He is a nasty dude.

I'm actually surprised that Hart and Repp are on the list because I don't see them getting more than 10-12 reps a game unless there are injuries.

Utah
06-07-2017, 11:38 AM
Magnum wouldn't have started over Wilson and wouldn't start over Williams. Versus P5 schools, he is a worse passer than Wilson, Hill and Troy. And Troy played on a torn MCL most of last year as well.

Missions destroy QB's.

As far as Bernard, if you combined Utah and BYU, he wouldn't start. Luafatasaga is heads and shoulders the best LB in the state.

Warner is the next step down. Then a big drop to Pau'u.

Koroma would not play at Utah. He's good, but there is a reason why he only had 1 or 2 offer s out of high school. He's too small. He would not have played over Dielman or Falemaka. I guess he would have played for us last year when we got down to our fourth string C.

Talent wise, we are just on a different level than BYU. The last two games have shown that. 35-0 in the first quarter and Utah had 6 TO's and still won.

We should do a depth chart if the two teams combined. I'd bet BYU only has 2-3 players that start. USU has no one.

Utebiquitous
06-07-2017, 03:47 PM
Utah,
I like your passion but let's not lose all reason. I don't know who'd start where but I'd love Bernard and Pau'u on my team. They fly around and play very physical - seem to be smart as well. I know that Mangum has struggled against good competition but what a terrific arm and I just like the guy. I think he'd be a terrific locker room presence. Koroma may be undersized but let's remember this is still college football. There are undersized players all over the place who become playmakers. Koroma is one of those for BYU and I think he would be for us.

mpfunk
06-07-2017, 04:07 PM

All 3 would play for Utah. While I think BYU fans vastly overrate Mangum, I'd take him without hesitation over Troy Williams and I like Williams.

We lost 4 offensive lineman, we would have a place for a center like Koroma on this year's team.

I'm not sure what has impressed you about our LBers to think there isn't at the minimum a rotation spot for Bernard.

sancho
06-07-2017, 05:54 PM
All 3 would play for Utah.

Yes, but he said start, not just play. It's not clear those three would start for us. They would have a shot, mainly because they play positions that are question marks for us (LB and OL).

I'm not sure where your Mangum love is coming from. Has he had any memorable performances? He wasn't able to beat out an average whatshisname last season. Maybe he turns into something special, but he sure hasn't shown it yet. Plus, he's a dufus. I'd rather have Williams any day.

Anyone else feeling the deju vu? When the list came out last season, Utah claimed that none of the Cougars on it were as good as the Utes behind them. We all blew it off as Utah being overconfident. But...he turned out to be right.

Dwight Schr-Ute
06-07-2017, 06:02 PM
I was feeling pretty good about our top 25 ranked class until I realized that Sitake has been totally kicking our ass since he arrived in Provo. Now I just hope that we can win one against the Cougars every so often.

And which school has been the biggest loser in the returned missionary game? It’s not even close. Not only was Tukuafu previously a Utah commitment, but there are three other former Utes that have switched to BYU in recent months since returning home from their missions: Austin Lee, Khyiris Tonga, and the most recent returnee James Empey.

RMs that flipped from BYU to Utah? Zero. RMs from Utah that switched to the Y? Three. Win BYU.

BYU is even welcoming a few walk-ons (Neal Pau’u and Austin Kafentzis) that previously had scholarship offers to the U. Chalk one more win up for the Cougars.

So the tide of the in-state recruiting battle has certainly turned. Players are running from the U to join Sitake and company at the Y. And that mass exodus is bolstering an ever improving class of 2017 and setting BYU up for even better classes in the future.
http://byuinsider.com/football/byu-football-making-great-strides-in-the-in-state-recruiting-battle-as-the-university-of-utah-exodus-continues/

mpfunk
06-07-2017, 08:08 PM
Yes, but he said start, not just play. It's not clear those three would start for us. They would have a shot, mainly because they play positions that are question marks for us (LB and OL).

I'm not sure where your Mangum love is coming from. Has he had any memorable performances? He wasn't able to beat out an average whatshisname last season. Maybe he turns into something special, but he sure hasn't shown it yet. Plus, he's a dufus. I'd rather have Williams any day.

Anyone else feeling the deju vu? When the list came out last season, Utah claimed that none of the Cougars on it were as good as the Utes behind them. We all blew it off as Utah being overconfident. But...he turned out to be right.
He said they wouldn't play at Utah. He didn't limit it to not l starting.

I'm not sure where you get that I'm in love with Mangum. I think he is vastly overrated, but he is better than our options.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

sancho
06-07-2017, 08:14 PM
He said they wouldn't play at Utah. He didn't limit it to not l starting.

I'm not sure where you get that I'm in love with Mangum. I think he is vastly overrated, but he is better than our options.

Oh, I was looking at his 2nd post. You're right. In the first post, he said play.

You really think that poorly of our quarterbacks? We had a top 25 season last year with Williams. You'd take Mangum over him "without hesitation"?

Utah
06-07-2017, 08:46 PM
Oh, I was looking at his 2nd post. You're right. In the first post, he said play.

You really think that poorly of our quarterbacks? We had a top 25 season last year with Williams. You'd take Mangum over him "without hesitation"?

Our QB's haven't been as bad as some fans like to think they have been.

I've found that our fans that are overly negative towards our QB's either have a lot of BYU fans or listen to Utah Sports Talk radio.

Both those sources are idiots. Ignore them.

Utah
06-07-2017, 08:50 PM
And I stand by my statement. If you mixed Utah and BYU's roster, Luafatasaga and Warner would start at LB'er.

Pau'u, Tauteoli, and Barton would be first off the bench. Thompson would play before Bernard. Bernard wouldn't play for us.

Magnum has been a worse passer vs P5 than Wilson and Hill and couldn't beat Hill out last year. He wouldn't have seen the field for us either. Ok, maybe when Troy hurt his knee vs USC. Maybe.

Koroma may have seen the field for us last year instead of Nowakowski, but he wouldn't play for us this fall. He wouldn't have played for us any year prior. We have guys that are just too big and too good.

Mangum, Koroma and Bernard would not play for Utah.

Utebiquitous
06-08-2017, 12:11 AM
It was interesting to catch some observations on Mangum from Riley Jensen - who I really respect. I know Riley a little and I love the niche he's carved out offering insight into the local college football teams, high school recruiting (due to his involvement in a high school camp,) and, particularly, quarterbacks. Riley gushes over Mangum's arm. In a recent interview he discussed how BYU used Mangum two years ago - sideline outs and a lot of go routes. Jensen remarked they did those because they were safe. His criticism of Mangum was that he wasn't seeing the middle of the field. Jensen says that if Tanner doesn't improve in that space then, big arm or not, good teams/defenses will get the better of him. By the way, think for a moment about sideline out routes being safe for Tanner. Those are tough routes for a lot of quarterbacks because you need an arm to throw it. Riley couldn't say enough about how accurate Mangum was with those routes.

Anyway, Williams, Huntley and Bateman are our guys. I'm pleased with that. I think we'll see good quarterback play this season. Of the three, Williams seems to have the tools to be very good but he's learning yet another offensive system - two in two years at Utah. Mangum will be in the second year of Ty's offense.

DrumNFeather
06-08-2017, 08:00 AM
I think it is safe to assume that at least a few of those guys would play and even start for Utah, because they'd be getting vastly superior coaching for one.

Utah
06-08-2017, 08:15 AM
I think it is safe to assume that at least a few of those guys would play and even start for Utah, because they'd be getting vastly superior coaching for one.

If we are going to do that, we'd have to assume that Utah would even want them in the first place. Koroma wasn't offered by Utah coming out of high school. Bernard's only other offer was from Utah State.

Those two just aren't good enough. If they had walked on at Utah, they'd probably never gotten off the scout team because Utah has better players at their disposal to work with.

Now, Mangum is a different story. Utah wanted Mangum. Coming out of high school, he was a great QB. But missions do something to QB's. The only QB I can think of that served a full two years and was highly successful was John Beck...and even he was a bust until his senior season. Then, you add in how badly Whitt wants his QB to run...Mangum would have competed at Utah, but I don't think he beats out a running QB, especially when the running QB's are better throwers at this point (Wilson and Hill).

concerned
06-08-2017, 08:35 AM
Now, Mangum is a different story. Utah wanted Mangum. Coming out of high school, he was a great QB. But missions do something to QB's. The only QB I can think of that served a full two years and was highly successful was John Beck...and even he was a bust until his senior season. Then, you add in how badly Whitt wants his QB to run...Mangum would have competed at Utah, but I don't think he beats out a running QB, especially when the running QB's are better throwers at this point (Wilson and Hill).

I have read many times--you probably havd too--that Mangum could not beat out Hill last year becasue he could not learn Detmer's offense and Detmer couldnt trust him. It is a relatively straightforward offense, and Hill picked it up immediately. Zadock Dinkelman said it is the same offense with the same terminology that his high school runs (not surprising, since he is Detmer's nephew.) We will see if an extra year changes that.

p.s. re coaching--I dont now how anybody can say that a qb would have gotten better coaching at utah given our OC carousel. If that were true, we would not have gone to Troy Taylor. And Tuiaki and Sitake havent become worse coaches since they left Utah.

sancho
06-08-2017, 08:37 AM
Zadock Dinkelman

Is this a real name?

concerned
06-08-2017, 08:39 AM
Is this a real name?

https://www.google.com/search?q=zadock+dinkelmann+rivals&rlz=1C1AZAA_enUS743US744&oq=zadock&aqs=chrome.2.0j69i57j0j69i59j0l2.7512j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

when I first heard his name, I assumed he was an Orthodox rabbi, not a high school qb Baptist.

Utah
06-08-2017, 09:37 AM
I have read many times--you probably havd too--that Mangum could not beat out Hill last year becasue he could not learn Detmer's offense and Detmer couldnt trust him. It is a relatively straightforward offense, and Hill picked it up immediately. Zadock Dinkelman said it is the same offense with the same terminology that his high school runs (not surprising, since he is Detmer's nephew.) We will see if an extra year changes that.

p.s. re coaching--I dont now how anybody can say that a qb would have gotten better coaching at utah given our OC carousel. If that were true, we would not have gone to Troy Taylor. And Tuiaki and Sitake havent become worse coaches since they left Utah.

Mangum struggled big time in Anae's offense, which is very easy for QB's with reads, making the right throws, etc. There is a reason why he didn't start last year, and it wasn't because Hill is a great QB. He is terrible under pressure and has no clue where the defense is coming from when they attack.

His "greatness" came against terrible teams and even the "good" plays he had vs good teams amounted to him tossing the ball up and his giant receivers making plays. I don't think I've ever seen a play where he reads the defense, sees where they are attacking from and then delivers a great ball beating a good defensive play.

I don't think I've ever seen a play where he needs a big gain and he gets it done, outside of a hail mary.

Good luck with that.

He's never had a game like Williams had vs USC last year. Look at this stat line:

21/34, 270 yards, 2 TD's, 0 INT's, 7 carries, 17 yards, 1 TD.

It's too bad he hurt his knee so bad after that.

Utah
06-08-2017, 09:38 AM
Didn't Mangum throw like 3 INT's in BYU's spring game when he had defenders? It's not like BYU has the greatest secondary in the world.

I'd put the over/under on Mangum INT's after the Utah game at 6.5. It wouldn't shock me to see him over that number after LSU and Utah.

Scorcho
06-08-2017, 09:51 AM
It was interesting to catch some observations on Mangum from Riley Jensen - who I really respect. I know Riley a little and I love the niche he's carved out offering insight into the local college football teams, high school recruiting (due to his involvement in a high school camp,) and, particularly, quarterbacks. Riley gushes over Mangum's arm. In a recent interview he discussed how BYU used Mangum two years ago - sideline outs and a lot of go routes. Jensen remarked they did those because they were safe. His criticism of Mangum was that he wasn't seeing the middle of the field. Jensen says that if Tanner doesn't improve in that space then, big arm or not, good teams/defenses will get the better of him. By the way, think for a moment about sideline out routes being safe for Tanner. Those are tough routes for a lot of quarterbacks because you need an arm to throw it. Riley couldn't say enough about how accurate Mangum was with those routes.

Anyway, Williams, Huntley and Bateman are our guys. I'm pleased with that. I think we'll see good quarterback play this season. Of the three, Williams seems to have the tools to be very good but he's learning yet another offensive system - two in two years at Utah. Mangum will be in the second year of Ty's offense.

I agree about Riley Jensen. His local football knowledge is solid, and he doesn't appear to have any bias one way or another. His football segments in the fall are about the best sports radio this market has.

Scratch
06-08-2017, 10:14 AM
But missions do something to QB's. The only QB I can think of that served a full two years and was highly successful was John Beck...and even he was a bust until his senior season.

To be fair, Taysom made himself into a very good QB by his junior year. What kept him from being a very good college QB wasn't his mission, it was injuries (well, that and a crappy OL and mediocre receivers).

DrumNFeather
06-08-2017, 10:26 AM
If we are going to do that, we'd have to assume that Utah would even want them in the first place. Koroma wasn't offered by Utah coming out of high school. Bernard's only other offer was from Utah State.

Those two just aren't good enough. If they had walked on at Utah, they'd probably never gotten off the scout team because Utah has better players at their disposal to work with.

I'm just trying to compliment our coaches! :highfive:

concerned
06-08-2017, 10:26 AM
To be fair, Taysom made himself into a very good QB by his junior year. What kept him from being a very good college QB wasn't his mission, it was injuries (well, that and a crappy OL and mediocre receivers).

More than anything, it was his lack of accuracy, esp. his inability to hit receivers in stride. His ball sailed or went behind his receivers A LOT.

Utah
06-08-2017, 10:32 AM

Good call.

LA Ute
06-08-2017, 10:41 AM
More than anything, it was his lack of accuracy, esp. his inability to hit receivers in stride. His ball sailed or went behind his receivers A LOT.

Yes. He was a Western Tim Tebow, but with injuries.

Sullyute
06-08-2017, 10:54 AM
I agree about Riley Jensen. His local football knowledge is solid, and he doesn't appear to have any bias one way or another. His football segments in the fall are about the best sports radio this market has.

I agree. Riley Jensen is great.

Scratch
06-08-2017, 10:59 AM

Generally agree, but in 2014 and 2015 he had a completion percentage of 66%. Granted, it was only for 5 1/2 games, and it included a lot of easy passes (7.5 YPA), but I thought he looked like a different guy accuracy-wise for that time period, especially after how he had looked before that. As you and LA noted, even a lot of completions were not terribly well thrown, but he sure scared the crap out of me as an opposing team.

sancho
06-08-2017, 11:31 AM
Yes. He was a Western Tim Tebow, but with injuries.

A western, poor man's Tim Tebow, of course. Tebow is one of the all time great college QB's.

LA Ute
06-08-2017, 03:45 PM
A western, poor man's Tim Tebow, of course. Tebow is one of the all time great college QB's.

I accept your amendment.

concerned
06-09-2017, 10:56 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DB5DDc8UAAABYYS.jpg:large

Utah
06-09-2017, 07:36 PM
Dang. Speed and athleticism. Me likey.

DrumNFeather
06-13-2017, 02:45 PM
New Interview with Kyle: https://espn700sports.com/interviews/kyle-whittingham-utah-football-head-coach-6-13-17/

Highlights:

- Camp opens earlier because of the new rules with no two-a-days
- Could he see a day where, because camp is so long, they allow for inter-squad scrimmages against other schools - yes, but hard to see how it would work
- Biggest challenges heading into 2017 - rebuilding the o-line and secondary, installing the offense
- Asked about potential transfers coming in for the secondary...Kyle - Nope, not right now
- Excited about Ballard and Hansen at Safety
- Kicking game - three way battle at the kicking spot, Chayden Johnston probably the leader
- Long snapper also needs to be evaluated
- Return game - A lot of guys coming in that will get a look, as will Hobbs for PR, as for the Kick Return, they'll look at guys in camp
- After reviewing the Spring Game tape, who do you see as guys that could break out? - Julian Blackmon defensively, great speed, hips, anticipation. Offensively, Jackson Barton played his best ball during the spring as well. Devonte Henry-Cole also could jump up.
- Health update, only guy that will be behind health-wise is Chad Hekking. Everyone else is healthy.

Dwight Schr-Ute
07-18-2017, 09:52 PM
Well...this would be an interesting twist.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170719/bf119bb81acc46fe4b2be281b53a8326.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170719/bdf69b2037951d445ec80cbedd4efc91.jpg

DrumNFeather
07-18-2017, 10:37 PM
Yep...my hopes are up.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

UTEopia
07-19-2017, 07:33 AM
Well...this would be an interesting twist.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170719/bf119bb81acc46fe4b2be281b53a8326.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170719/bdf69b2037951d445ec80cbedd4efc91.jpg

I guess I am okay with this. He was dismissed because of a DUI and because it was not the first problem he had. I don't know the others, but a DUI is a mistake that people should get a second chance from. Fortunately, he did not hurt anyone else or himself.

SoCalPat
07-19-2017, 09:39 AM
I guess I am okay with this. He was dismissed because of a DUI and because it was not the first problem he had. I don't know the others, but a DUI is a mistake that people should get a second chance from. Fortunately, he did not hurt anyone else or himself.

Bring him on board. We gave Nai Fotu a one-game suspension for a (potentially) much worse offense.

Dwight Schr-Ute
07-20-2017, 12:09 AM
Lots of Twitters getting twitterpated about this cryptic post by Siaosi Wilson. Apparently there's some decent corroborating information behind the pay walls.

Utah
07-20-2017, 12:13 AM
We will know soon enough. 🤞🏼

UTEopia
07-20-2017, 08:10 AM
Lots of Twitters getting twitterpated about this cryptic post by Siaosi Wilson. Apparently there's some decent corroborating information behind the pay walls.

I left the pay walls because my impression is that after Dan Sorensen left Rivals for Scout, both sites, in a fight for subscribers, have unfairly raised the hopes of Ute fans on the chances of landing particular athletes who are "leaning" towards Utah to the point that when it doesn't happen idiots strike out on social media at the player and the coaches in a way that doesn't sit well on other athletes and is frankly turning some of them off.

Utah
07-20-2017, 08:28 AM
I know fans everywhere suck, but Utah/BYU/Jazz fans are the worst.

Maybe not kill each other in the parking lot bad or throw batteries at Santa bad, but our fans are petty, whinny, bitchy bad. We get mean.

We are like the condescending trophy wife. It's pathetic to watch.

Dwight Schr-Ute
07-20-2017, 06:08 PM
One surprise wide receiver pick up. Do we make it two this before the weekend?!

justaute
07-20-2017, 07:23 PM
Nice. Pretty big WR at 6'4" & 197 lbs, and runs 4.4, according to his profile.

http://www.hudl.com/profile/5248970/josh-nurse

One surprise wide receiver pick up. Do we make it two this before the weekend?!

Dwight Schr-Ute
07-23-2017, 07:14 PM
Just in time for camp to start. 889257938891620352

Dwight Schr-Ute
07-24-2017, 10:05 AM
Pre-camp depth chart has been released. Couple of surprises, all quarter backs in bold and Kenric Young in bold.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170724/04efb649a3f8c8154522e79d06e10af6.jpg

Utah
07-24-2017, 10:39 AM
Initial thoughts:

Holliday has been talking up Young all spring/summer. Looks like the talk might be for real.

I don't think the OL changes. It's light on experience, but that's a damn talented OL. If they have it mentally, they will be really, really good. We have talent.

Same with our TE's. If we can stay healthy, they will catch a ton of balls. Taylor loves TE's. He loves the mismatches they cause, their ability in screen plays.

Shyne says he is 100%. Nice. Next man up. Shyne and Moss and DHC will battle to be the next NFL back out of Utah.

Our backup WR's... 😳

We need Carrington. He changes our WR corps from, "eh" to "we have tons of potential".

I think our TE's will catch a lot of balls.

Repp at LE and no Hart? Huh.

Tupai looked good in the spring. I think he will be solid this year.

We are good at LB. If healthy, I'd expect to see Ippolito take Barton's snaps, which isn't a terrible thing.

Safety, we are thin, but very talented. We may be better this year than last. *ducks and runs*

CB: talent, no experience. Time for Shah to really make a name for himself. He is loaded with talent. You could argue that Utah has never been amazing at recruiting CB's. They are never really highly rated guys. But, Utah has been amazing at developing CB's. Well, now we have talent and development. *Shivers*

K: we need a kicker. I think we will have 4-5 guys fighting for that spot.

P: we good.

LS: we lost a gem. Hopefully Handley can be consistent.

Dwight Schr-Ute
07-24-2017, 10:55 AM
Initial thoughts:

Holliday has been talking up Young all spring/summer. Looks like the talk might be for real.

I don't think the OL changes. It's light on experience, but that's a damn talented OL. If they have it mentally, they will be really, really good. We have talent.

Same with our TE's. If we can stay healthy, they will catch a ton of balls. Taylor loves TE's. He loves the mismatches they cause, their ability in screen plays.

Shyne says he is 100%. Nice. Next man up. Shyne and Moss and DHC will battle to be the next NFL back out of Utah.

Our backup WR's... 

We need Carrington. He changes our WR corps from, "eh" to "we have tons of potential".

I think our TE's will catch a lot of balls.

Repp at LE and no Hart? Huh.

Tupai looked good in the spring. I think he will be solid this year.

We are good at LB. If healthy, I'd expect to see Ippolito take Barton's snaps, which isn't a terrible thing.

Safety, we are thin, but very talented. We may be better this year than last. *ducks and runs*

CB: talent, no experience. Time for Shah to really make a name for himself. He is loaded with talent. You could argue that Utah has never been amazing at recruiting CB's. They are never really highly rated guys. But, Utah has been amazing at developing CB's. Well, now we have talent and development. *Shivers*

K: we need a kicker. I think we will have 4-5 guys fighting for that spot.

P: we good.

LS: we lost a gem. Hopefully Handley can be consistent.

I thought that the feeling was that Taylor doesn't use the TE very much, that's why we had the Washington kid decommit after the hire.

Sullyute
07-24-2017, 01:57 PM
I thought that the feeling was that Taylor doesn't use the TE very much, that's why we had the Washington kid decommit after the hire.

That is what I thought too

UTEopia
07-24-2017, 02:09 PM

I don't think he is looking for a traditional TE to line up on the line to provide blocking support. He wants a guy who can flex out and be a big target in the pass game. It will be interesting to see how he uses these guys this year as they are both capable of doing what I think he wants.

Utah
07-24-2017, 02:22 PM
I was told that he used a lot of TE's at Folsom and didn't at EWU because they didn't have any.

I went back and looked at their WR/TE and they are all the same size (six ft, 180-200 lbs).

Two of their top 4 receivers were 180 lbs, two were bigger and played LB'er as well.

It will be interesting to see what happens this fall. I trust the TE's a lot more than our WR's.

But, it appears that Utah has offered 5 TE's for 2018 and 39 WR's, so I may be up in the night here.

The good news is, we will find out in 30 some odd days.

UTEopia
07-24-2017, 02:42 PM
http://www.utahby5.com/webkit-fake-url://949eec5f-760e-4902-9f3f-42b5f66ba524/image.tiff

This is the pre-season depth chart. Some surprises. Kenric Young for one. Who is the one offensive player and one defensive player that we cannot afford to lose for extended time? For me, defense is Chase Hansen. He is the glue and I don't think we have a backup close to his level. On offense I say Shyne. I don't trust Moss to hit the right hole or hold onto the ball.

Utah
07-24-2017, 03:50 PM
I agree with Hansen. I'd say #2 is Luafatasaga on defense.

Offensively, I'd say Uhatafe. We need an OL leader out there. If Barton and Uhatafe can stay healthy all year, I think our OL will be very good.

I agree with your Shyne/Moss assessment, but feel better about the RB's after watching DHC play. He's good. Really good.

Dwight Schr-Ute
07-24-2017, 08:53 PM
Lots of innuendo Tweets from the Utah recruiting guys. My guess is that Carrington is officially a go.

Dwight Schr-Ute
07-25-2017, 08:09 AM
Carrington confirmation this morning.

DrumNFeather
07-25-2017, 08:14 AM

Apparently there is a grad-transfer OL from Cal who is also looking at the Utes and Colorado. Could have a nice few adds right here as camp starts.

sancho
07-25-2017, 08:40 AM

How bout that! WRs always welcome.

UTEopia
07-25-2017, 01:23 PM

I don't think we are quite there yet. I understand there needs to be final approval from Dr. Hill.

justaute
07-25-2017, 01:56 PM
So, basically, if we can't beat them, let's recruit their throw-aways? Oregon, and now Cal. haha :)

Dwight Schr-Ute
07-25-2017, 02:17 PM
I don't think we are quite there yet. I understand there needs to be final approval from Dr. Hill.

Well, that could get embarrassing.

U-Ute
07-25-2017, 02:48 PM
Josh Nurse is also a go. I heard him being interviewed on the radio today by Bill Reilly.

He and Ballard were teammates at Blinn.

DrumNFeather
07-25-2017, 03:01 PM
Josh Nurse is also a go. I heard him being interviewed on the radio today by Bill Reilly.

He and Ballard were teammates at Blinn.

Reilly interviewed Dan Sorensen as well and he said quite a few teams came in late on Nurse (UCLA, Boise St., among others).

Diehard Ute
07-25-2017, 07:17 PM

Carrington's father sent an email tonight saying Darren is transferring to Utah. He thanks Kyle and Chris Hill for the opportunity in the email so if sounds like that hurdle is cleared.

UTEopia
07-25-2017, 07:32 PM
Carrington's father sent an email tonight saying Darren is transferring to Utah. He thanks Kyle and Chris Hill for the opportunity in the email so if sounds like that hurdle is cleared.

I think this can be a season changing addition for the Utes. I can see it going one of two ways. The kid comes in and puts his nose to the grindstone and works his tail off, winning the admiration of his teammates or he comes in with a lot of talent and a prima dona attitude and takes some of the young guys on the wrong path. I hope it is the former. I remember when Josh Gordon transferred to Utah. He arrived in late September just in time to make the cut-off for the second session of Fall semester. One day at practice, KW comments to me. We have never had a cat like that at Utah and he was right. Gordon had all of the tools and it seemed so easy for him. The problem was that he brought his posse with him from Baylor. He didn't want to go to class and didn't think that was required. He and his posse thought they could just continue with the old things. As you will recall, he declared for the draft in January. It was a no brainer for him because he was quietly dismissed from the team in November. Fortunately, he did not have a detrimental effect on other players.

DrumNFeather
07-26-2017, 08:21 AM
Pac 12 Media Poll is out...Utes picked 2nd in the South :snack:

USC picked to win the whole thing.

South:

USC 309
Utah 220
UCLA 209
Colorado 182
ASU 109
Arizona 61

North:

Washington 309
Stanford 247
WSU 206
Oregon 163
OSU 101
Cal 64

Sullyute
07-26-2017, 08:29 AM
Those look pretty accurate to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Scorcho
07-26-2017, 09:39 AM
I'm all for a guy (Carrington) getting a 2nd chance, but this looks more like a 3rd, 4th or 5th chance. I'll give KW the benefit of the doubt, but this seems sketchy to me.

Dwight Schr-Ute
07-26-2017, 10:28 AM
I'm all for a guy (Carrington) getting a 2nd chance, but this looks more like a 3rd, 4th or 5th chance. I'll give KW the benefit of the doubt, but this seems sketchy to me.

Some times a change of venue is more productive than just another chance. I think this gives Carrington a fresh start. I'm sure that Whittingham and Hill made it very clear that he only gets one shot.

UtahsMrSports
07-26-2017, 10:47 AM
Some times a change of venue is more productive than just another chance. I think this gives Carrington a fresh start. I'm sure that Whittingham and Hill made it very clear that he only gets one shot.

Im also betting that they learned from the Josh Gordon situatiion and a condition for acceptance is that he needs to ditch any negative influences in his entourage.

Utah
07-26-2017, 11:02 AM
Utah, second in the south, fourth overall.

That usually means about 8 wins. Seems about right.

I think Stanford may be a little overrated but who do you bump up to knock them down?

I think USC and Washington both have 10+ wins.

I think Stanford, Utah, UCLA, WSU and Oregon make up tier two. They all have 7 to 9 wins.

ASU and OSU are tier three, with 5 to 7 wins.

Arizona and Cal have 3 to 5 wins.

I think the "spoiler" team this year is OSU. If their JC QB pans out, I could see them getting 6 or 7 wins and wrecking a couple team's seasons.

sancho
07-26-2017, 11:22 AM
So, who, if offered, would take 2nd in the south right now? I can't decide. I think I would.

Utah
07-26-2017, 11:56 AM
So, who, if offered, would take 2nd in the south right now? I can't decide. I think I would.

If it was 9 wins and second, in a heartbeat. This schedule is so hard. Second in the south might be a three way tie with 7 wins.

Sullyute
07-26-2017, 11:58 AM

In a second.

SoCalPat
07-26-2017, 12:13 PM
If it was 9 wins and second, in a heartbeat. This schedule is so hard. Second in the south might be a three way tie with 7 wins.

Your first scenario would (likely) mean 6-3 with a loss to USC. Provided Troy goes 7-2 or better in league games, the scenarios that would exist for another November collapse would be slim. I'm very much OK with that.

SoCalPat
07-26-2017, 12:15 PM
Pac 12 Media Poll is out...Utes picked 2nd in the South :snack:

USC picked to win the whole thing.

South:

USC 309
Utah 220
UCLA 209
Colorado 182
ASU 109
Arizona 61

North:

Washington 309
Stanford 247
WSU 206
Oregon 163
OSU 101
Cal 64

One team beneath us will vastly exceed preseason expectations. My pick is Arizona, which may have had the worst year from an injury perspective than any team since the league went to 12 teams. If they're healthy, they win 7, minimum.

Diehard Ute
07-26-2017, 12:17 PM
One team beneath us will vastly exceed preseason expectations. My pick is Arizona, which may have had the worst year from an injury perspective than any team since the league went to 12 teams. If they're healthy, they win 7, minimum.

Dunno, Rich Rod said this morning he has 50 new players this season. That's nuts.

The Moose's Whistle Again
07-26-2017, 01:49 PM
Apparently there is a grad-transfer OL from Cal who is also looking at the Utes and Colorado. Could have a nice few adds right here as camp starts.

Any more news on the grad transfer OL from Cal?? We need him desperately. Here's my assessment of the O-line:

LT - Jackson Barton; solid starter but hasn't played starter minutes. Not a mean guy, good in pass protection but won't wear down defenses like Bolles did. Overall we're weaker at LT.
LG - Darrin Paulo; highly recruited, but worries me he hasn't seen any playing time up until now and now all of the sudden we're relying on him to be full time starter.
C - Lo Falemaka; solid but has not been durable to say the least. Will likely miss games due to injury.
RG - Jordan Agasiva; unknown, highly recruited, should be okay, but JC guys who don't have Spring ball often get injured.
RT - Salesi Uhatafe; solid, but new position.

Backups - Johnny Capra, Kyle Lanterman, Paul Toala, Orlando Umana, Scott Peck....all of these worry me. What are the chances our 5 starters make it the entire season without injury? The only season I can recall where all 5 offensive linemen made it the full season without injury was 2004 and that was after Boone was lost for the season in fall practices if I remember correctly.

How did we get in this position?? This reminds me of 2011 where we started a late transfer who wasn't even on the last roster update at LT, Miles Mason. He's still not on the 2011 roster on wikipedia. I thought we would have had this figured out by now.

Shout out to UtahsMrSports...hey buddy!

Utah
07-26-2017, 02:00 PM
Our OL is fine. Be glad Paulo hasn't played yet. Coaches say he may be the best guard we've ever had.

Harding has said Barton was good enough to start last year. LT is fine.

We have more talent overall on the OL than we've ever had. We just lack experience. The talent is there.

Harding likes the OL and Taylor has said the Ol will be the best unit on the offense.

Worry about WR's and CB and QB.

We are great everywhere else.

The Moose's Whistle Again
07-26-2017, 02:06 PM
Our OL is fine. Be glad Paulo hasn't played yet. Coaches say he may be the best guard we've ever had.

We have more talent overall on the OL than we've ever had. We just lack experience. The talent is there.

Harding likes the OL and Taylor has said the Ol will be the best unit on the offense.

I'm happy to read that the coaches are so high on Paulo. Barton I've seen play and he's good but not great. Taylor has been coaching high school for most of the past 16 years, I'm sure our offensive line looks incredible to him.

Dwight Schr-Ute
07-26-2017, 02:20 PM

Just as important as the talent is the coaching. We're very well covered in both of those pieces. Could take a few games though. Just like last year.

Utah
07-26-2017, 04:04 PM
Just as important as the talent is the coaching. We're very well covered in both of those pieces. Could take a few games though. Just like last year.

Good to have three pasties to open up the year with.

chrisrenrut
07-26-2017, 07:31 PM
Good to have three pasties to open up the year with.

Lol, that's a great typo.

Dwight Schr-Ute
07-26-2017, 09:01 PM
McKay Pett has been home from his mission for two or three weeks. Safe to say, the awkward period is over.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WLPBPNh-Fg8

UTEopia
07-27-2017, 08:03 AM
Does anyone else wish the Utes were picked 4th instead of 2nd? For some reason, I think the Utes have always played better with Alan chip of disrespect on their shoulders.

SoCalPat
07-27-2017, 08:49 AM
Does anyone else wish the Utes were picked 4th instead of 2nd? For some reason, I think the Utes have always played better with Alan chip of disrespect on their shoulders.

I've documented our record against the spread under Kyle in the Pac-12 somewhere on this board. I remember the results as being about what one could expect as an underdog. Our biggest issue is playing too many close games, often as slight favorites. We had 9 games decided by one possession last year. That's simply not a great pattern for huge success.

DrumNFeather
07-27-2017, 08:59 AM

It's certainly a double edged sword. I think a lot of media members don't know what to make of the South beyond USC, and It's pretty obvious that they don't necessarily think Colorado is here to stay. So when you have ASU and Arizona looking on paper like a bit of a mess, with coaches both on the hot seat and keeping their eye on other jobs, and Colorado coming back as a bit of an unknown, that really only leaves Utah and UCLA. UCLA seems to underachieve every year (though I really like Mora), so I see where the ranking make sense.

Hopefully Whit still has them playing with that chip on their shoulder.

What it also probably means is that we've got a chance to start the season in the top 25...and if we can start 4-0, then the October 7 game vs. Stanford probably gets some attention.

sancho
07-27-2017, 09:44 AM
another November collapse

Just as a painful reminder, here is the November collapse history:

2014, 1-3. Loss at #15 ASU (OT), blowout losses at home vs #15 Arizona and #5 Oregon. Win @ Stanford (2OT).

2015, 2-2. Wins @ UW (comfortable) and at home vs CU (close). Loss @ Zona (2OT) and at home vs UCLA (close).

2-16, 1-2. Blowout win @ ASU. Loss at home vs Oregon (close) and @ #9 CU (close).

Overall, 4-7. Four of the seven losses to ranked teams, one of the seven to a non-bowl team. Seven of the 11 games coming down to the wire with three going to OT.

sancho
07-27-2017, 11:37 AM
So, who has Utah circled on their schedules this season?

- Utah is BYU's top priority
- USC may have missed the playoffs last season because of us
- Stanford has yet to beat us

UTEopia
07-27-2017, 11:44 AM
I've documented our record against the spread under Kyle in the Pac-12 somewhere on this board. I remember the results as being about what one could expect as an underdog. Our biggest issue is playing too many close games, often as slight favorites. We had 9 games decided by one possession last year. That's simply not a great pattern for huge success.

so the key to not having this continue is having offensive productivity increase and maintaining g defensive performance. I simply do not see fewer close games because for the most part we are playing teams with equal talent. Teams with talent can put together good games in an otherwise down year. Although we hurt ourselves on both sides of the ball against Oregon and Cal a year ago, those teams played well with basically equal talent and won. Actually, while Utah had better defensive talent than both, they had better offensive talent, particularly dynamic talent.

Utah
07-27-2017, 11:47 AM
I think the key to the season is BYU. If you can't beat BYU, you can't go bowling.

Then, if yo beat BYU, the key to the season is Stanford. You have a bye week and USC the week after. The USC game is 99.9% a loss.

If you beat Stanford, you are 5-1 and ranked.

The next key is going 2-1 vs UCLA, WSU, Washington. If you do that, you are 7-2.

That leaves ASU, Colorado and Oregon. 2-1 puts you at 9-3.

Dream season.

Reality? Probably start 5-1. I think Stanford is a little over-rated.

USC - loss
ASU - win
Oregon - ???
UCLA - ???
WSU - win
Washington - loss
Colorado - win

That's 8 wins, two losses. How do the UCLA and Oregon games turn out?

That's the key.

DrumNFeather
07-28-2017, 07:50 AM
Fall camp starts today. Congrats friends! We made it. :jig:

Dwight Schr-Ute
07-28-2017, 12:49 PM
Fall camp starts today. Congrats friends! We made it. :jig:

Nurse and Carrington cleared to practice. Vickers and Lewis not on the roster yet and are rumored to still be finishing up class work. Expected to join in "a week or two." There's always someone.

UTEopia
07-29-2017, 08:24 AM
I know camp is only one day in, but does anyone else get the sense that the qb battle isn't really a battle? If Bateman is even with Huntley, do you approach Huntley about red shirting? I know there were rumbles that him or maybe some of his family thought he should have done so last year. If I am him, I don't want to redshirt or be QB 3 because you get no practice reps and he wants all the experience he can get before next spring.

Singleton just has bad hamstrings.

sancho
07-29-2017, 09:02 AM
I know camp is only one day in, but does anyone else get the sense that the qb battle isn't really a battle? If Bateman is even with Huntley, do you approach Huntley about red shirting?

What year is Bateman?

sancho
07-29-2017, 09:09 AM
I know camp is only one day in, but does anyone else get the sense that the qb battle isn't really a battle?

I don't think there is a real QB battle going on either, except for the #2 spot. Nor should there be, really. We have a successful, returning senior at QB. Huntley didn't look amazing in his few reps last season, and Bateman was never able to beat anyone out at Bama, even when they were desperate for a QB.

Applejack
07-29-2017, 10:43 AM
What year is Bateman?

5th year senior

sancho
07-29-2017, 11:20 AM
5th year senior

Yeah, scout team QB. Emergency backup. Move him to defense if he's an athlete. Not much you can do.

Scratch
07-29-2017, 11:28 AM
I think you ask Huntley what he wants to do. If he'd rather redshirt than be the backup, then do it. If not, then get him as many backup game snaps as possible.

sancho
07-29-2017, 01:59 PM
I think you ask Huntley what he wants to do. If he'd rather redshirt than be the backup, then do it. If not, then get him as many backup game snaps as possible.

Makes sense to me.

Utah
07-29-2017, 02:05 PM
I'd say Huntley is #2 all year unless Bateman and Troy go down.

Play Huntley 10-15 snaps a game, every game. Use him like Urban used Tebow his freshman year.

I think Huntley transfers or graduates after 2019 no matter what, so the RS is irrelevant in the grand scheme.

Huntley is the guy next year no matter what. Play him 10-15 snaps every game.

Dwight Schr-Ute
07-29-2017, 06:02 PM
Singleton just has bad hamstrings.

Seriously?! That's his "ailment?!" Before camp even starts?! Again?! Good grief!

Utah
07-29-2017, 07:17 PM
Seriously?! That's his "ailment?!" Before camp even starts?! Again?! Good grief!

Bad hammy or just lack of desire for fall camp?

Anyways, it's nothing serious. Held out for precautionary reasons.

UTEopia
07-29-2017, 07:30 PM
Bad hammy or just lack of desire for fall camp?

Anyways, it's nothing serious. Held out for precautionary reasons.

No. He just has extremely tight hamstrings. He is not a slacker.

Utah
07-29-2017, 08:45 PM
No. He just has extremely tight hamstrings. He is not a slacker.

It was a joke. I guess the fact I said it wasn't a big deal didn't clarify that enough.

Utah
07-30-2017, 10:54 AM
Sounds like QB's didn't like ARod:

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=45205151&nid=635

Utah
07-30-2017, 10:55 AM
KSL did a good job on this:

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=45217854&nid=635&title=cfb-preview-utes-consistent-in-pac-12-but-looking-to-take-next-step

DrumNFeather
08-01-2017, 11:55 AM
Scalley talked after practice about who fills in for Chase Hansen while he is out, and he said that for the moment, Ballard is moving to SS and Philip Afia is at FS with Blair in the mix as well. I remember Afia was pretty highly recruited, so hopefully this gives some of these young guys a chance to get some decent reps with the hope that Hansen still makes it back.

Utah
08-01-2017, 03:10 PM
Afia looked good in spring ball. We are super thin at safety. We have three with Hansen out.

UtahsMrSports
08-01-2017, 03:48 PM
Afia looked good in spring ball. We are super thin at safety. We have three with Hansen out.

Ive gotta think that there will be a guy or two currently listed as a CB (especially) or a WR that gets some reps back there in fall camp for depth purposes.

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-01-2017, 05:29 PM
Nick Ford has been moved to the o-line.

UTEopia
08-01-2017, 06:16 PM
Nick Ford has been moved to the o-line.

I can hear the CU coaches now. We told him he was better suited for OL and Utah said he could play DL.

DrumNFeather
08-03-2017, 10:17 AM
Coaches poll is out....Utes at #25

Fellow Pac 12 Squads USC (4) Washington (7) and Stanford (14) also in.

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-03-2017, 10:25 AM
First pre-season ranking since 2010. That's pretty amazing considering what we lost.

DrumNFeather
08-03-2017, 10:48 AM
First pre-season ranking since 2010. That's pretty amazing considering what we lost.

Indeed, and it sets up for some big games in the front part of our schedule.

I thought that this might be a possibility when we showed up being picked 2nd in the South at media days. Great for the program.

Utebiquitous
08-03-2017, 11:16 AM
2nd in the South and a high level playmaker in Carrington had to be influential.

Applejack
08-03-2017, 01:53 PM
Coaches poll is out....Utes at #25

Fellow Pac 12 Squads USC (4) Washington (7) and Stanford (14) also in.

:jig:

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-03-2017, 06:02 PM
Well, we had a good run.

hostile
08-03-2017, 06:06 PM
Well, we had a good run.

Eff!

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-03-2017, 06:13 PM
eff!

fix it!

Applejack
08-04-2017, 05:33 AM
fix it!

The great thing about summer is it is a change to get healthy and let your returning studs get a breather. :Facepalm:

sancho
08-04-2017, 02:45 PM
The great thing about summer is it is a change to get healthy and let your returning studs get a breather. :Facepalm:

Chase and Lo? This summer is brutal. Football is brutal.

LA Ute
08-04-2017, 04:34 PM
FWIW, Frank Dolce said today that Carrington should be a game-changer. Other teams will have to account for him because he's a real threat. Riley said Oregon's former QB said balls thrown to Carrington that were 50-50 balls for everyone else were 75-25 balls for Carrington.

Nice Marmot
08-05-2017, 04:39 PM
FWIW, Frank Dolce said today that Carrington should be a game-changer. Other teams will have to account for him because he's a real threat. Riley said Oregon's former QB said balls thrown to Carrington that were 50-50 balls for everyone else were 75-25 balls for Carrington.

It's about time we had a WR. I would say Utah has had the worst receivers in the PAC almost every season since we joined.

justaute
08-05-2017, 08:05 PM
Well, given Utah's recent history of offense, I certainly would not choose the Utes if I were a prized WR recruit.

I'm hopeful, fingers crossed, that Taylor's hiring will usher in a new era of competent offense, and thus bring in a different level of recruits.

It's about time we had a WR. I would say Utah has had the worst receivers in the PAC almost every season since we joined.

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-07-2017, 01:33 PM
Most notable pieces out of this morning's press release:

Darren Carrington has cleared all of his transfer paperwork and has been cleared to play.

Kendric Young has officially been moved to defense.

Nick Ford has officially been moved to offense.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/utahutes.com/documents/2017/8/7/fbaug7.pdf

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-07-2017, 04:47 PM
Singleton practiced today! Carrington did not. Lots of shuffling on the oline. DBs had a great day. Johnston and Gay separating at kicking game. Hansen making very good progress on his recovery.

WhoAmISir
08-08-2017, 08:01 AM
Singleton practiced today! Carrington did not. Lots of shuffling on the oline. DBs had a great day. Johnston and Gay separating at kicking game. Hansen making very good progress on his recovery.

Carrington per Whit was taking care of some things. As I recall I believe he had a court date in Oregon regarding his DUI yesterday. Can't say that he was there for it or it was being handled without him.

Diehard Ute
08-08-2017, 02:53 PM
Carrington per Whit was taking care of some things. As I recall I believe he had a court date in Oregon regarding his DUI yesterday. Can't say that he was there for it or it was being handled without him.

He reached a plea deal. If he completes a diversion program the charge will be dismissed.

Diehard Ute
08-09-2017, 07:08 AM
Posted yesterday

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170809/dd13fe7b3724f62d8aa5f7be43aa842d.png

WhoAmISir
08-09-2017, 07:47 AM
That good to see and I hope he and Vicker's get here ASAP. They are so far behind as they will have to go through acclimation period, get the play book down...etc. We'll be doing good to see them mid season.

Scratch
08-09-2017, 07:59 AM
That good to see and I hope he and Vicker's get here ASAP. They are so far behind as they will have to go through acclimation period, get the play book down...etc. We'll be doing good to see them mid season.

Lewis is a 3 to play 2, so I wonder if he should just redshirt because he's coming in so late.

DrumNFeather
08-09-2017, 08:07 AM
Lewis is a 3 to play 2, so I wonder if he should just redshirt because he's coming in so late.

And Vickers, as I understand it, is going to be more of a return specialist in that Shaky Smithson type role, so perhaps his climb won't be as steep.

DrumNFeather
08-09-2017, 12:58 PM
Column in the DesNews from Doug Robinson that is drawing the ire of some prominent Ute tweeters: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865686428/Throwing-Darren-Carrington-a-lifeline-destroys-student-athlete-myth.html

LA Ute
08-09-2017, 01:17 PM
Column in the DesNews from Doug Robinson that is drawing the ire of some prominent Ute tweeters: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865686428/Throwing-Darren-Carrington-a-lifeline-destroys-student-athlete-myth.html

I am sure KW and C. Hill expected this.

Scorcho
08-09-2017, 01:19 PM

while I have some reservations about the Utes picking up Carrington, Doug's not thinking this part through:

So the DUII arrest was one offense too many for Oregon’s new coach, Willie Taggart, and he gave Carrington the boot. That alone ought to tell you about the serious baggage this guy carries because college coaches overlook a lot of sins to have such players on their teams, especially one who is an NFL prospect and collected 1,919 receiving yards and 112 catches for Oregon.

There is a night and day difference between Willie Taggart and Kyle Whittingham. Taggart is in his first year, trying to mold a program and already faced a little controversy. If things go South with Carrington and he's a Duck, that's a serious blow to a new coach. Whitt has much more Carte Blanche due to his tenure and his record of giving players a second chance. Whitt has some wiggle toom that Taggart does not.

Diehard Ute
08-09-2017, 01:40 PM
while I have some reservations about the Utes picking up Carrington, Doug's not thinking this part through:

There is a night and day difference between Willie Taggart and Kyle Whittingham. Taggart is in his first year, trying to mold a program and already faced a little controversy. If things go South with Carrington and he's a Duck, that's a serious blow to a new coach. Whitt has much more Carte Blanche due to his tenure and his record of giving players a second chance. Whitt has some wiggle toom that Taggart does not.

You're correct

Players from Oregon even said they thought Taggart was making an example of Carrington to send a message.

UtahsMrSports
08-09-2017, 01:50 PM
I forget Doug is still with the D News until he writes one of these and gets everyone riled up. Really crappy Gordon Monson wanna be.

Utah
08-09-2017, 02:00 PM
That article is so misinformed. Lol. What a hack job. He has no idea what's going on and then he starts slinging stones.

That is more cougarboard post than anything that should be in a paper.

It's a man on a soapbox flailing wildly.

DrumNFeather
08-09-2017, 02:15 PM
That article is so misinformed. Lol. What a hack job. He has no idea what's going on and then he starts slinging stones.

That is more cougarboard post than anything that should be in a paper.

It's a man on a soapbox flailing wildly.

If you read the comments. He knows exactly who is audience is and stays right in line with them.

UtahsMrSports
08-09-2017, 02:18 PM
If you read the comments. He knows exactly who is audience is and stays right in line with them.

If the world ever collapses in on itself, I truly believe that it will be because of the comment sections in the Des News and Tribune. Not that ill care what the cause was.....

Sullyute
08-09-2017, 02:31 PM
I forget Doug is still with the D News until he writes one of these and gets everyone riled up. Really crappy Gordon Monson wanna be.

Lol.

DrumNFeather
08-09-2017, 02:48 PM
If the world ever collapses in on itself, I truly believe that it will be because of the comment sections in the Des News and Tribune. Not that ill care what the cause was.....

Yes. They are quite the contrast to be sure...and also terrible. Whenever my faith in humanity is being restored, I make sure I go to the comments section of the trib just to remind myself who is out there.

UtahsMrSports
08-09-2017, 04:02 PM
Yes. They are quite the contrast to be sure...and also terrible. Whenever my faith in humanity is being restored, I make sure I go to the comments section of the trib just to remind myself who is out there.

*Story about a butterfly exhibit in West Jordan*

Commentor: 'This is just another reminder of how LD$ INC is COMPLETELY RUINING MY LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!'

justaute
08-09-2017, 04:12 PM
haha...that's funny.

Seriously, though, I see "those" comments pretty much on all articles on ESPN, Facebook, DN, ST, and many other media. I really don't read many of those anymore. In the end, it's just human stupidity. People are often selfish, ignorant, close-minded, and only see only what they want. Plus, there are so many bots on social media -- a lot of crap. Idiocy does not discriminate.

mUUser
08-11-2017, 08:11 AM
Are practices open to the public?

Diehard Ute
08-11-2017, 08:19 AM
Are practices open to the public?

Nope. Only time any practices are open are select spring practices.

Media can only attend last 20 minutes of practice.

DrumNFeather
08-11-2017, 08:40 AM
Nope. Only time any practices are open are select spring practices.

Media can only attend last 20 minutes of practice.

From the recent reports, all they get to see is special teams.

Diehard Ute
08-11-2017, 09:09 AM
From the recent reports, all they get to see is special teams.

Not really true.

A practice earlier this week was a limited practice (the new NCAA rules have changed the way the U practices, some practices are limited now)

By the time the media availability window came special teams was the only portion left.

Yesterday they saw live stuff, Young picking off Williams was on video.

DrumNFeather
08-11-2017, 09:33 AM
Not really true.

A practice earlier this week was a limited practice (the new NCAA rules have changed the way the U practices, some practices are limited now)

By the time the media availability window came special teams was the only portion left.

Yesterday they saw live stuff, Young picking off Williams was on video.

Well, that's what the Utecast folks have been mentioning the last few days. Maybe they just show up late, who knows.

Diehard Ute
08-11-2017, 09:58 AM
Well, that's what the Utecast folks have been mentioning the last few days. Maybe they just show up late, who knows.

No offense to those guys, but I personally don't really consider that to be 'media'.

I'm going to stick with Lynn Worthy, Chris Kamrani, Dirk Facer, Josh Furlong etc

DrumNFeather
08-11-2017, 10:34 AM
No offense to those guys, but I personally don't really consider that to be 'media'.

I'm going to stick with Lynn Worthy, Chris Kamrani, Dirk Facer, Josh Furlong etc

Ha. Fair point. I agree.

UTEopia
08-11-2017, 11:24 AM
So I was listening to Taylor say that he wanted the offenses aggressiveness in the game to match the aggressiveness of the defense and it got me thinking that Utah doesn't really play aggressive defensively at the end of games. We were so soft in coverage against Oregon that they just marched down the field. How often does that happen? I would say on a fairly regular basis.

LA Ute
08-11-2017, 03:11 PM
So I was listening to Taylor say that he wanted the offenses aggressiveness in the game to match the aggressiveness of the defense and it got me thinking that Utah doesn't really play aggressive defensively at the end of games. We were so soft in coverage against Oregon that they just marched down the field. How often does that happen? I would say on a fairly regular basis.

Think of the BYU game last year. It often seems like we want to let the opposing team get to the red zone so we can set up a "backs to the wall" stand there.

LA Ute
08-12-2017, 12:02 PM
Arizona players love playing Utah.

https://twitter.com/JJSportsBeat/status/890320795729252353

tooblue
08-12-2017, 12:20 PM
Think of the BYU game last year. It often seems like we want to let the opposing team get to the red zone so we can set up a "backs to the wall" stand there.

Ya, you're right. Utah is so good, that when they lose it's because they only ever beat themselves.

LA Ute
08-12-2017, 12:32 PM
Ya, you're right. Utah is so good, that when they lose it's because they only ever beat themselves.

Very funny. I'll thank you to allow me to complain about our head coach without your help!

DrumNFeather
08-14-2017, 10:49 AM
McCormick to split time at WR and RB.

Josh Nurse moved to Safety.

Jake Jackson to TE

Alani Havili-Katoa from DL to OL.

DrumNFeather
08-14-2017, 02:20 PM
Lewis officially pushed to January. Vickers with a drop dead date of this Friday.

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-14-2017, 02:48 PM
McCormick to split time at WR and RB.

Josh Nurse moved to Safety.

Jake Jackson to TE

Alani Havili-Katoa from DL to OL.

Also, Tereke Lewis has been bumped to January. Vickers has until the end of the week to show up before the program moves on. Lewis seemed to have passed his class last week, so having to wait until January seems surprising. Not sure what's been holding Vickers up.

LA Ute
08-15-2017, 08:26 AM
I just listened to a podcast interview by Bill Riley of Ben Criddle. It's really quite wonderful. After listening to Ben for a while my thought was "Bless his heart." My favorite part was his comment about "the magic pixie dust" on Tanner Mangum's passes.

UtahsMrSports
08-15-2017, 08:52 AM
I just listened to a podcast interview by Bill Riley of Ben Criddle. It's really quite wonderful. After listening to Ben for a while my thought was "Bless his heart." My favorite part was his comment about "the magic pixie dust" on Tanner Mangum's passes.

Bill was on Ben's show a week or two ago and now it sounds like Ben is returning the favor. Ben is another in a long line of over the top homers for BYU who gets to 'cover' the team. I honestly don't know who a person like Bill could turn to to get a real, honest take of the cougars. Brandon Gurney? I honestly dont know.

LA Ute
08-15-2017, 11:25 AM
Fun to watch -- Jordan Howard gets a scholie.

https://www.facebook.com/UtahUtesFootball/videos/1850599091633504/

mUUser
08-15-2017, 12:19 PM
Fun to watch -- Jordan Howard gets a scholie.

https://www.facebook.com/UtahUtesFootball/videos/1850599091633504/

That's awesome. I could watch it a thousand times. Thanks.

UTEopia
08-15-2017, 01:56 PM
So I was thinking about this QB competition. With camp the length that it is, I don't think it is hurting the preparation for the season. Last year Troy played hurt because, as Whit said yesterday, Huntley was too careless with the ball. I believe the coaches are giving Huntley a good, long look to determine whether he has gotten that out of his system and they can really trust him this year and moving forward. This is a great opportunity for him to show the coaches that, regardless of Jack Tuttle, he is the man going forward.

I like Bateman and I think the Utes can win with him at QB. When Troy is eventually named the starter. It will be interesting to see if Huntley is given the opportunity to redshirt. If I'm Huntley I don't. I take the No. 2 reps and get ready to claim the starting job next spring.

When Wynn was a true freshman and was competing with Louks and Terrance Cain for the position. There came a time in fall camp when the coaches decided that Wynn was the clear No. 2. Most of the offensive coaches believed he was the clear No. 1, but Whit was not convinced and Cain was the starter until game 7 or 8. Anyway, the coaches sat down with Wynn and told him that he was the clear No. 2 and that he could decide whether he wanted to be the No. 2 or redshirt. They gave him the weekend to talk with family and others and he came back on a Monday and said he was good to go. Louks was given the word that he was No. 3 and he tried safety for a couple of practices and then transferred.

concerned
08-15-2017, 09:06 PM
So I was thinking about this QB competition. With camp the length that it is, I don't think it is hurting the preparation for the season. Last year Troy played hurt because, as Whit said yesterday, Huntley was too careless with the ball. I believe the coaches are giving Huntley a good, long look to determine whether he has gotten that out of his system and they can really trust him this year and moving forward. This is a great opportunity for him to show the coaches that, regardless of Jack Tuttle, he is the man going forward.

I like Bateman and I think the Utes can win with him at QB. When Troy is eventually named the starter. It will be interesting to see if Huntley is given the opportunity to redshirt. If I'm Huntley I don't. I take the No. 2 reps and get ready to claim the starting job next spring.

When Wynn was a true freshman and was competing with Louks and Terrance Cain for the position. There came a time in fall camp when the coaches decided that Wynn was the clear No. 2. Most of the offensive coaches believed he was the clear No. 1, but Whit was not convinced and Cain was the starter until game 7 or 8. Anyway, the coaches sat down with Wynn and told him that he was the clear No. 2 and that he could decide whether he wanted to be the No. 2 or redshirt. They gave him the weekend to talk with family and others and he came back on a Monday and said he was good to go. Louks was given the word that he was No. 3 and he tried safety for a couple of practices and then transferred.

doesnt the staff want huntley no 2? if he redshirts we have no qb with any experience next year.

sancho
08-15-2017, 09:24 PM
doesnt the staff want huntley no 2? if he redshirts we have no qb with any experience next year.

Bateman has experience.

concerned
08-15-2017, 09:35 PM
Bateman has experience.

isnt bateman a graduate senior? last yeaf of eligibility? next year Huntley, shelley and tuttle? or am i wrong?

UTEopia
08-15-2017, 10:04 PM

i don't know. if he only plays a similar amount to last year, it is another wasted year of eligibility

concerned
08-15-2017, 10:10 PM
i don't know. if he only plays a similar amount to last year, it is another wasted year of eligibility

you would think they would want to get him a lot more experience than last year. he is not wasting a year of eligibility, because he is not going to redshirt this year and then play ahead of tuttle for two years. i cant imagine tuttle redshirts next year.

sancho
08-15-2017, 11:09 PM
isnt bateman a graduate senior? last yeaf of eligibility? next year Huntley, shelley and tuttle? or am i wrong?

Yeah, I'm not advocating for Bateman, just saying that he has some game experience.

Utah
08-15-2017, 11:11 PM
This isn't the 1980's. Huntley playing or red shirting is irrelevant.

He will play here next year as our starter. If Tuttle wins the job, we are screwed. Then, the following year he and Tuttle battle for the spot.

If Tuttle wins the job, Huntley transfers as a SR. If Huntley wins the job, he plays as a SR.

2019 is Huntley's last year here RS or not, IMO.

Lastly, our schedule SUCKS this year. It is SOOoOoOoOO hard.

But, next year, our schedule gets a lot easier. Darnold, Browning, Falk, Rosen are all gone. We need Huntley ready to play. We have a real shot to be the best team in the south in 2018.

Starting Tuttle next fall would SUCK. We need Huntley to win the south in 2018. Play the kid this year.

sancho
08-15-2017, 11:11 PM
you would think they would want to get him a lot more experience than last year. he is not wasting a year of eligibility, because he is not going to redshirt this year and then play ahead of tuttle for two years. i cant imagine tuttle redshirts next year.

Agree. If he wants to start here, he should be the backup this season. QBs usually don't get 4 years of play, so it's hard to think of it as a wasted year. Plus, unfortunately, QB injuries are pretty common.

Utah
08-15-2017, 11:12 PM
Also, it sounds like Huntley has a real shot at winning the job this fall.

Utah
08-15-2017, 11:13 PM

I'd bet Tuttle RS's and then comes out firing for the job in 2019.

True freshman QB's suck. RS freshman are a lot better.

concerned
08-15-2017, 11:22 PM
I'd bet Tuttle RS's and then comes out firing for the job in 2019.

True freshman QB's suck. RS freshman are a lot better.

if he redshirts, shelly is the backup. you willing to live with that? i dont think tuttle stsrts, but i think he doesnt redshirt either. he starts the following year.

Utah
08-15-2017, 11:51 PM
if he redshirts, shelly is the backup. you willing to live with that? i dont think tuttle stsrts, but i think he doesnt redshirt either. he starts the following year.

Fair point. The good thing about Redshirts is they aren't decided until the season ends. So, if Huntley goes down for a extended period of time, Tuttle plays. If Huntley stays healthy (or only misses a quarter or a game), then you don't play Tuttle and he RS's at season's end.

Also, I think we bring in a JC guy next year, especially if Tuttle signs in December. Then we go out and get a JC guy or a grad transfer (like Bateman) to be our backup QB.

Also, also, Shelley is small, but he has talent. He will have a whole year playing. I wouldn't be sad if he won the backup job and Tuttle RS'ed. He has the raw talent to do so.

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-17-2017, 10:16 AM
Your 2017 team captains.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170817/838e1b69c68e8c6e1949248f8a919b8a.jpg

Scratch
08-17-2017, 10:20 AM
Your 2017 team captains.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170817/838e1b69c68e8c6e1949248f8a919b8a.jpg

Someone should tell Mitch to look at the ball when he's punting.

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-17-2017, 12:26 PM
Whit announced today that they expect Chase to be back practicing inside of a week.

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-17-2017, 12:47 PM
Whit announced today that they expect Chase to be back practicing inside of a week.

Also said that Lo might be back by North Dakota. And Whit isn't worried about the kicking game.

Injury reports and kicking game good feels? Whit has been abducted.

DrumNFeather
08-17-2017, 01:37 PM
Also said that Lo might be back by North Dakota. And Whit isn't worried about the kicking game.

Injury reports and kicking game good feels? Whit has been abducted.

In the spirit of Rick Majerus, someone in the media needs to ask him which kicker he prefers...and ask the following way: "So would you say you are a big Gay guy?"

Scratch
08-17-2017, 01:47 PM
Lo was in pads today, and has been in pads earlier. Johnston looked good today, Gay was shaky. Johnston has a ton of leg, nailed one from about 57 yards, and I think was 5 of 8 on the day, I think with everything being from 45 yards+. Maybe one was from 40.

Scratch
08-17-2017, 02:01 PM
Spent a little more than an hour at practice today. I'm not exactly the greatest judge of talent, so take this for what it's worth. I thought Williams looked really good; he's composed, made good decisions, took care of the ball, and made some nice completions. He didn't do anything spectacular, but consistently looked good.

You can see why the coaches are intrigued by Huntley. He's just so dynamic out there, his escapability is through the roof. However, as has been noted elsewhere, he has very happy feet and leaves the pocket really early. Although to his credit he did complete a nice pass on the run today. He threw a pick where Blackmon made a great read and jumped the route. I also thought Huntley looked the best in the goal line drills, although Williams was effective in them, too. I'm optimistic about the red zone offense.

Bateman probably had the longest completion of the day, on a nice TD to Singleton. Was just a bit underthrown, but was a good job putting the ball where only Singleton could get it. He threw a bad pick to Blair, where I don't think Bateman saw him.

Jaylon Johnson got burned once, but he was in man coverage the whole time, and looks really good out there. Blackmon looked great; I think we'll be OK there.

Moss looked pretty good, but they weren't tackling, so he got blown down on a few runs between the tackles where he probably could have sprung the run normally.

Johnston looked solid today; he was much better in the early session before the media showed up. I think he made 3/4 in that session, and they were all long. He made one from about 57 yards out.

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-17-2017, 02:07 PM
Thanks Scratch!

Sullyute
08-17-2017, 02:25 PM
Thanks Scratch!

Ditto

Scratch
08-17-2017, 02:38 PM
By the way, Shelley got one or two series and he looked good out there. Really quick and elusive, and he threw a great pass to Dixon for a TD. May have been the best pass of the day.

Utah
08-17-2017, 05:27 PM
Anyone writing Shelley off as a QB is doing so very prematurely.

sancho
08-17-2017, 08:12 PM
Wilner game-by-game prediction for Utes:

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/08/17/utah-football-projecting-the-season-game-by-game/

Sullyute
08-17-2017, 08:56 PM
Wilner game-by-game prediction for Utes:

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/08/17/utah-football-projecting-the-season-game-by-game/

The loss to ASU is a realistic prediction as we tend to lose one game a year to a sub .500 team

Diehard Ute
08-19-2017, 01:37 PM
Falemaka is back at center.

Chase Hansen will be eased back into practice next week.

Tyrone Smith is out for the season with an ankle injury (he has a redshirt)

OL is Barton, Paulo, Falemaka, Agasiva and Uahtafe

QB announcement Monday

Vickers will not join the team

Above all per Bill Riley

U-Ute
08-19-2017, 08:52 PM
The loss to ASU is a realistic prediction as we tend to lose one game a year to a sub .500 team

ASU is the P12 version of Air Force: no matter how bad they are, they give us problems and lose to them more often than it seems like we should.

Utah
08-19-2017, 09:39 PM
I think ASU surprises this year. Their QB was fantastic last year and might be the best PAC-12 QB after Darnold and Rosen. That can take you a long way.

Mormon Red Death
08-19-2017, 10:01 PM
I think ASU surprises this year. Their QB was fantastic last year and might be the best PAC-12 QB after Darnold and Rosen. That can take you a long way.
??? Browning & Falk are better than he is

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Utah
08-19-2017, 11:11 PM
??? Browning & Falk are better than he is

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I thought so too. I was running numbers recently and Wilkins continually was top 3.

Falk is good but throws too many short passes and has a high usage rate.

Browning is hella efficient. Not as accurate, not used very much, not a very strong arm, but when he throws a pass it's for a TD.

I doubt Browning is an NFL starter, but as long as he has a running game he's dangerous.

What Wilkins did statistically last year was impressive. He does throw INT's though.

Like I said, he "might" be the third best QB.

Utah
08-19-2017, 11:17 PM
What I found in my numbers is that Darnold and Rosen are heads and shoulders above everyone else.

Tier 2 is Falk, Browning, Wilkins and Herbert.

Tier 3 is Colorado's kid.

A distant tier 4 is Williams.

A even further distant tier 5 is Chryst.

U-Ute
08-20-2017, 08:27 AM
A fun article on how nobody likes playing Utah.

https://www.pacifictakes.com/platform/amp/2017/8/19/16173924/the-team-nobody-likes-to-play-utah-utes

SoCalPat
08-20-2017, 10:57 AM
ASU is the P12 version of Air Force: no matter how bad they are, they give us problems and lose to them more often than it seems like we should.

We've covered the spread vs. ASU our last four times out. I would say our 2015 game at home vs. ASU was very AFA-like. ASU would probably say the same about us for the 2013 game.

If we're really going to pin the AFA tail on any team in the league, Oregon State is a far more appropriate comparison.

Utah
08-20-2017, 12:37 PM
Or Arizona. They always give us fits. And beat us.

concerned
08-20-2017, 01:16 PM
whatever happened to Alec Dana? Boy was that a lot of wasted hype.

DrumNFeather
08-20-2017, 01:33 PM
whatever happened to Alec Dana? Boy was that a lot of wasted hype.
He's around.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Utah
08-20-2017, 02:01 PM
You hear of him from time to time. Taylor said they will take 8 or more WR's to games.

Carrington, Singleton, Simpkins and Wilson are in.

Nacua and Fulks are in.

That means Thompson, Hampton, Dana, Dixon, etc are battling for the end of roster guys.

concerned
08-20-2017, 02:10 PM
You hear of him from time to time. Taylor said they will take 8 or more WR's to games.

Carrington, Singleton, Simpkins and Wilson are in.

Nacua and Fulks are in.

That means Thompson, Hampton, Dana, Dixon, etc are battling for the end of roster guys.

Based on the hype, yuou never would have thought he would be fighting to be 6-8

Utah
08-20-2017, 03:29 PM
Based on the hype, yuou never would have thought he would be fighting to be 6-8

That's true. Maybe that's a good thing. Ha ha.

UTEopia
08-20-2017, 09:30 PM
I'm a little concerned that there might be a divided locker room after the qb decision tomorrow.

Sullyute
08-20-2017, 09:35 PM
I'm a little concerned that there might be a divided locker room after the qb decision tomorrow.

Oh boy. I have only heard good things about team chemistry during this fall camp. Would hate to see it end on a sour/divided note.

concerned
08-20-2017, 09:46 PM
My son told me that he has heard a rumour this weekend that there is concern that if Huntley is not named the starter he will transfer. fwiw.

Utah
08-20-2017, 10:25 PM
My son told me that he has heard a rumour this weekend that there is concern that if Huntley is not named the starter he will transfer. fwiw.

That would be so dumb. Huntley would have to sit out anyways, and he'd be the #1 guy next year. I don't buy it.

concerned
08-20-2017, 10:36 PM
That would be so dumb. Huntley would have to sit out anyways, and he'd be the #1 guy next year. I don't buy it.

he mivht feel that if he cant win it this year he wont beat out tuttle next year. now or never, he might think. fwiw.