PDA

View Full Version : Utah vs North Dakota - The Hawkwardly Early Thread

Utah
06-08-2017, 08:08 AM
Well, we are under 100 days...heck, under 90 days until we take on North Dakota. And I think this is the perfect team for us to open up against. Where they are strong is where we want to be tested, and where they are weak is where we want to practice our attack.

Their strengths: DL, CB
Their weaknesses: OL, S

Average/irrelevant: the rest of the positions.

They have a weak OL. They currently have zero set starters at OL, and there is a chance they will start 3-5 freshmen at OL. North Dakota is a team that heavily relies on the run game for their offense. With their inexperienced OL, they will not score much. But, it's a great game for us. It gives Kylie Fitts a chance to get reacclimatized to playing in a game, lets us rotate 10-12 guys, and lets our CB's get game reps without overtaxing them (they can get reps, get coached, then get ready for more reps).

I'd expect North Dakota to score at most 10 points.

Defensively, their strengths are the CB's and DL. This is perfect for us. Our OL will be coming together. Now, I don't think our OL is as worrisome as some do (we have talent and three guys who have started games, although Falemaka only has one start I believe), but this will be a great first game for them. They can have some talented guys line up across from them, but not so talented that they could become overwhelmed.

Our OL will have a great practice/warmup session vs their DL.

I like that their CB's is their strength, but that their weakness is their safeties. This is also perfect for us. It will test our WR's to get off the line of scrimmage, make correct reads, and be productive. BUT, with the weakness at safety, it will allow our QB/WR to attack the field after the WR gets off and makes the correct read.

This is the perfect game for us. They are strong where we need work, but not so strong that we'd ever dream of losing the game. Great opening game for us.

IF the offense and WR's can get going, I'd put the score around 50-10.

IF the QB's are the same QB's we have under Whitt, I'd say it's a 35-10 game.

U-Ute
06-15-2017, 09:29 AM
I agree that they'll score 10 points. Probably during garbage time against our third stringers.

I'd be happen if it was 35-10 if we are up 35-0 at the half.

I'd like to see us go from 35-0 at the half to 49-10 at the end of the game and see the second stringers get some work in the third quarter.

Hopefully the fourth quarter is a waste of time for fans (outside those who want to break down our third string OLine)

Ma'ake
06-18-2017, 09:02 AM
The big thing for Ute fans is seeing what our offense is going to be like.

In Meyer's first year, as his offense was getting implemented, it didn't look very impressive. My mom: "Is this better than what Mac gave us?"

I expect our fans to be a little disappointed, a little worried going into Week 2 at BYU.

We'll out-talent North Dakota, and have more questions than answers.

Utah
06-18-2017, 10:53 AM
I was thinking about that the other night. DC's first two games were 50+ points and then a win at Michigan. I think Wilson was #4 in the country in efficiency.

And then WSU happened.

Maybe stumbling would be a better omen. Lol.

I think ARod was great his first few games as well.

U-Ute
06-19-2017, 04:02 PM
Maybe it has to do with getting your offense on film for DC's to pick apart.

UTEopia
06-25-2017, 05:34 PM
Here is what the writer for The Spectrum in Cedar City has to say about North Dakota in picking them to finish first in the Big Sky:

1. North Dakota

Last season: 8-0 Big Sky, 9-3 overall (co-Big Sky champions)

Here are some of the things the co-Big Sky defending champions return: the Big Sky Defensive Player of the Year (safety Cole Reyes); three first team All-Big Sky selections; nine offensive starters, including quarterback Keaton Studsrud and the two-headed rushing attack of John Santiago and Brady Oliveira; and an All-American duo in the defensive backfield with Reyes and corner Deion Harris.

Yeah, they're going to be good.

Utah
06-25-2017, 06:41 PM
If they start three freshmen OL like I've read they might, I don't care how good the rest of their team is.

NorthwestUteFan
06-26-2017, 09:59 PM
If they start three freshmen OL like I've read they might, I don't care how good the rest of their team is.
Guys who played High School last year vs at least 3 starters who will play on Sundays next year? Scary.

Applejack
06-27-2017, 09:42 AM
Terrible job of scheduling a cupcake. As much as Utah and his ilk don't want to hear it, this will be a game. We win, perhaps big, but these guys can play. And there are always a few of these games in week 1 which kill a team (App St v. Mich, Wash St. v. Eastern Wash, Oregon State v. Davis or someone like that). If we are going to schedule D-2 (I say no), we need to at least schedule true cupcakes.

DrumNFeather
06-27-2017, 09:50 AM
Terrible job of scheduling a cupcake. As much as Utah and his ilk don't want to hear it, this will be a game. We win, perhaps big, but these guys can play. And there are always a few of these games in week 1 which kill a team (App St v. Mich, Wash St. v. Eastern Wash, Oregon State v. Davis or someone like that). If we are going to schedule D-2 (I say no), we need to at least schedule true cupcakes.

I will be there...and I'm not going to watch us lose. I'm there to watch Troy Taylor usher in the new era of Utah offense. Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Applejack
06-27-2017, 10:02 AM
I will be there...and I'm not going to watch us lose. I'm there to watch Troy Taylor usher in the new era of Utah offense. Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Yes, the new, new, new, new era of Utah's offensive philosophy will be fun to watch. Personally, I think a high tempo, spread offense is destined to be a failure at Utah, but what do I know?

DrumNFeather
06-27-2017, 10:55 AM
Yes, the new, new, new, new era of Utah's offensive philosophy will be fun to watch. Personally, I think a high tempo, spread offense is destined to be a failure at Utah, but what do I know?

Not a thing!

Utah
06-27-2017, 01:58 PM
Wait, you think a team that will potentially be starting three freshmen OL will score enough to make this a tight game?

Um...ok.

sancho
06-27-2017, 06:14 PM
Wait, you think a team that will potentially be starting three freshmen OL will score enough to make this a tight game?

Um...ok.

Like he pointed out, there are precedents. Every year, someone loses to one of these FCS teams. Sometimes, very good teams lose to one of these FCS teams. I agree with AJ. If we are going to schedule FCS, we ought to schedule the worst of the worst. No credit for beating a good FCS team. If they are picked to win their conference, they probably aren't terrible.

So, yeah, we probably win by 20+. But I put this in the 96% category. Our other recent FCS teams were in the 99.9% category.

Utah
06-28-2017, 09:21 AM
I don't know for sure, but I'd assume the teams who beat FBS teams had higher power offenses.

ND is a power run based offense. They are basically us on offense. Run, run, run with a little throwing tossed in.

Offensively, ND is a terrible matchup for us. They have a so-so OL and they want to run it 40+ times a game.

I think it's the perfect game for us.

Their strength is their DL and CB's. It will give our OL a solid test and push our WR's, but we should hold them to next to nothing offensively.

I doubt they get two scores on us. We can put 21 pts on anyone.

Best case, this is a 70 pt beatdown ala Weber St a couple years ago. Worst case, it's a 28-14 type game. Most likely? A 35-45 point game for our offense vs 3-17 points for them.

DrumNFeather
06-29-2017, 08:04 AM
From Athlon, North Dakota among three teams that could surprise and make a deep FCS playoff run:

North Dakota

Granted, the Fighting Hawks expect to be a top 10 (https://athlonsports.com/college-football/athlon-sports-preseason-fcs-top-25-2017) team this season, but they qualify as a dark horse simply because they’ve never won an FCS playoff game. The 2001 Division II national champion made its first FCS playoff appearance last season, falling to Richmond to end a 9-3 season in which the Hawks won a share of the Big Sky title with Eastern Washington. They have a mindset similar to North Dakota State – run the ball and play strong defense, especially against the run. Head coach Bubba Schweigert is replacing five starters on defense, but Cole Reyes and Deion Harris are NFL prospects (https://athlonsports.com/college-football/top-fcs-2018-nfl-draft-prospects-watch) in the secondary. While quarterback Keaton Studsrud won’t wow anybody, the depth at running back will: juniors John Santiago and Brady Oliveira, and Minnesota transfer James Johannesson.

U-Ute
07-07-2017, 01:41 PM

Um...ok.

I believe his real point was that anytime you overlook anyone, it can be a close game and starting 3 FR on the OL is a good way to overlook someone.

Utah
07-07-2017, 03:16 PM
I believe his real point was that anytime you overlook anyone, it can be a close game and starting 3 FR on the OL is a good way to overlook someone.

I got that. My point is this:

The fewest points we scored last year was 19 and 20 points.

One was a monsoon and the other had 6 TO's.

They won't score more than twice.

24-14 is the absolute closest that game will be.

DrumNFeather
07-17-2017, 11:19 AM
FWIW…

The Big Sky is tweeting out pre-season all conference selections and our Week 1 opponent has a few we might want to keep an eye on:

Deion Harris – CB
Cole Reves – S – Also named pre-season defensive player of the year after being named DPOY last year.
John Santiago – RB, KR
Demon Taylor – OG
Brady Oliveria – RB

Utah
07-17-2017, 12:14 PM
I love that they have talent in the secondary. I want to win week one, but be tested as well.

UTEopia
07-19-2017, 12:11 PM
I was looking to see if North Dakota played Eastern Washington last year (they didn't) and found myself looking at the statistics for the two games EWU lost a year ago. At perennial FCS power North Dakota State in the second game of the season, EWU lost 44-50 and lost the turnover battle by throwing 3 ints. In the playoffs against Youngstown State, EWU lost 40-38 and also lost the turnover battle, throwing 2 ints. For the season, EWU threw the ball 620 times and only had 14 ints. A great percentage. Good teams with prolific offenses also lose close games.

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-28-2017, 10:35 PM
Seems like a chipper enough fellow.
https://www.youtube.com/embed/pnKzZONwjt8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-28-2017, 10:37 PM
Know your enemy.

https://youtu.be/0q_ZzkJM-Nk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Applejack
08-29-2017, 07:08 AM
Bison sounds like a North-Dakota-like mascot. Go with it.

U-Ute
08-29-2017, 10:24 AM
With ND playing a 2-back/1-TE set, we will be playing much more 4-3 than we normally will. Who will be our third LB starter: Barton or Thompson?

Utah
08-29-2017, 11:07 AM
Barton with a lot of Thompson mixed in.

Utah
08-29-2017, 11:08 AM
Also, I'd bet we see a lot of 5-2 fronts. That is essentially a 3-4 defense with Leki Fotu/Moko being a on LOS MLB and one of our ends being the other "LB".

mUUser
08-29-2017, 11:24 AM
FWIW…

The Big Sky is tweeting out pre-season all conference selections and our Week 1 opponent has a few we might want to keep an eye on:

.....Cole Reves – S – Also named pre-season defensive player of the year after being named DPOY last year......

For fun I watched You Tube clips of about 5 ND games from last season. Cole Reves is a freakin' do-it-all studmuffin. Huntley better not fall asleep on this kid.

They're returning some nice talent. On paper, they'll be a more difficult opener than SUU last year.

Applejack
08-31-2017, 12:23 PM
GAME DAY!

I am always trepadatious about any game, but this one strikes me as particularly troublesome. A ranked FCS team with most of their offense returning versus a young secondary and ENTIRE offense for us. We should win (and we will), but can someone please pay attention to FCS scheduling in the future? The rules:

1. Don't schedule freaking FCS teams!
2. If you do, everyone knows the game is just to make money so by all means DO NOT SCHEDULE A 'GOOD' FCS TEAM!
3. If you must schedule FCS, schedule SUU, or Weber, or CEU, or Utah State. They are local, and local is the new black.

Applejack
08-31-2017, 12:33 PM
Things I'm interested in (in an otherwise uninteresting game):

1. How do the young dbs look? ND doesn't throw as much as a PAC-12 team, but I'm sure they will test the dbs. If they struggle, don't burn the house down, but it might be a long year in conference.
2. Can the O-Line sustain pass protection? I think the young O-line is a big reason that Huntley won the job. Much like Taysom for BYU last year, he might not be the best passer but he can do other things when pass protection breaks down. I would be surprised if the O-line can gel this early, but I hope for some signs that it is coming.
3. D-line depth: we have a great starting four, but behind them there is potential but little experience.
4. Is this the year of the TE for Utah football, given that our two best returning pass catchers play TE? (NO, it's never the year for the TE in Utah football).
5. Can Huntley stretch the field vertically? He will be dangerous if he can keep defenses honest with his arm. If he is a glorified RB, trouble.
6. What will Zion's Bank do this year for in-between timeout entertainment?
7. Young guys: Nacua, Tupai, J Johnson, etc. Lot's of hype; how do they look when they get actual game minutes?
8. Do we have a kicker or do we decide to go for everything that is 4th and less than 20 inside the 30?
9. What is it like not to have a RB that can take any carry to the house?
10. FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Utah
08-31-2017, 01:43 PM
Troy Taylor was a FCS OC last year with a walk on QB. He averaged over 40 pts and 400 yards a game.

ND gave up almost 300 yards a game through the air last year.

Carrington is better than Rupp. Huntley should be better than EWU's QB last year.

I'm not worried. We will be fine.

Next week, I might be worried.

This week? If Taylor can't put up 40+...

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-31-2017, 02:31 PM
We have a kicker!!!

sancho
08-31-2017, 02:49 PM
We have a kicker!!!

If Chase is a game time decision, why not just let him sit and rest? Don't risk him in this game.

LA Ute
08-31-2017, 02:51 PM
If Chase is a game time decision, why not just let him sit and rest? Don't risk him in this game.

My guess is that he gets only a few minutes of play today, if any.

DrumNFeather
08-31-2017, 03:12 PM
Let's go have ourselves a season! Enjoy the ride folks! Football is back!

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-31-2017, 04:12 PM
My excitement levels are trending up.

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-31-2017, 05:02 PM
This is great from an AP reporter.

tooblue
08-31-2017, 05:32 PM
Is the game on TV ... oh, that's right the vaunted PAC12 network isn't on DirectTV ... and the Utes open on Thursday night ...

:-)

Snowman
08-31-2017, 05:57 PM
Not liking this start

Snowman
08-31-2017, 07:05 PM
Respectable first half

1st game jitters

Penalties

chrisrenrut
08-31-2017, 08:03 PM
A seasons worth of penalties in one game. $%</&

Snowman
08-31-2017, 08:44 PM
There were some lame calls

Applejack
08-31-2017, 08:48 PM
Quick thoughts from tonight:

1. Carrington. Real.
2. Other wideouts - did they gain more total yards than they gave back in holding penalties?
3. O line - I was prepared to be unimpressed. I was unimpressed. I thought they got to the second level only rarely, and there were TONS of missed assignments (like in the 4th quarter were they seemed to miss every LB blitz). This will be a work-in-progress all year and will undoubtedly cost us a number of games.
4. For the most part I was pleased by our young dbs. Man they will be good in a year or two.
5. I liked Huntley's attitude, if not his game at this point. He was good tonight, but he'll need to be much sharper going forward. His runs were hit and miss; he needs to learn when to tuck and run and when to stay in the pocket.
6. We have a kicker! (But he's not the guy we started)
7. Really liked J Johnson and Leki Fotu. Didn't see much from Tupai, but maybe I missed it.

Really excited to make it seven straight next week.

sancho
08-31-2017, 08:53 PM
Quick thoughts from tonight:

1. Carrington. Real.
2. Other wideouts - did they gain more total yards than they gave back in holding penalties?
3. O line - I was prepared to be unimpressed. I was unimpressed. I thought they got to the second level only rarely, and there were TONS of missed assignments (like in the 4th quarter were they seemed to miss every LB blitz). This will be a work-in-progress all year and will undoubtedly cost us a number of games.
4. For the most part I was pleased by our young dbs. Man they will be good in a year or two.
5. I liked Huntley's attitude, if not his game at this point. He was good tonight, but he'll need to be much sharper going forward. His runs were hit and miss; he needs to learn when to tuck and run and when to stay in the pocket.
6. We have a kicker! (But he's not the guy we started)
7. Really liked J Johnson and Leki Fotu. Didn't see much from Tupai, but maybe I missed it.

Really excited to make it seven straight next week.

But what about the linebackers?

The receivers can no longer be scapegoats. It's a strong group.

LA Ute
08-31-2017, 09:19 PM
Here's one basic Ute fan's rundown.

I liked:

• The size of the crowd and our new seats on the West side

• Tyler Huntley's athleticism, the precision of his passing

• Zack Moss is a tough, bruising back, over 100 yards tonight -- also sounded good on the post-game show

• Kicking was really quite decent

• Carrington is a special player (and sounded great on the post-game show)

• We didn't try just to protect our lead

I didn't like:

• Our pass protection

• Only 1 sack, late in the game

• Only 1 pick, also late in the game

I hated:

• Penalties

• Apparent vulnerability to the blitz (Moss seemed bad at picking them up)

My reasonable expectation for the season: eight wins.

Utah
08-31-2017, 10:58 PM
Huntley is going to be good. 70%+ completion percentage. Very impressed with his arm on the run. Kept his eyes up when running and made some great decisions after his first terrible one.

If he puts a little less on two early throws, he has two more passing TD's.

Instead he came up with almost 300 total yards and 3 TD's.

Not too bad for your first start.

LA Ute
08-31-2017, 11:40 PM
Just saw that we were 7-7 in the red-zone tonight. That's a welcome stat. We also punted only once.

Applejack
09-01-2017, 06:58 AM
But what about the linebackers?

The receivers can no longer be scapegoats. It's a strong group.

Tough to judge them as they got zero action in the run game (they rarely got past the D-line). They were slightly overaggressive in taking risks out of their coverage assignments (Sunita was totally fooled by the play action pass for a TD, Blair had some overruns on coverage, Kavika looked solid to me), but we'll have to wait until next week to see how they do against a legit tight end and average RBs.

UTEopia
09-01-2017, 07:46 AM
Just saw that we were 7-7 in the red-zone tonight. That's a welcome stat. We also punted only once.

3 were FG's, which was a problem a year ago.

concerned
09-01-2017, 08:31 AM
Last night showed why Huntley won the job. A friend of mine on staff said the reason that Huntley's running ability was important is that they were worried that the O line couldn't protect the qb. Also worried that Moss would turn out to be no Joe Williams. Said if they had last years o line and Joe W., Troy probably would have won the job.

I thought Huntley was great for his first game (despite overthrowing two touchdown passes to Carrington) and the right choice, and Moss was good enough (well see what he does against a pac 12 front seven). The o line? geez.

LA Ute
09-01-2017, 08:34 AM
3 were FG's, which was a problem a year ago.

Glass more than half full! 4 TDs, 3 FGs. Typical for last would have been 4 FGs, 3 zilches.

concerned
09-01-2017, 08:39 AM
Glass more than half full! 4 TDs, 3 FGs. Typical for last would have been 4 FGs, 3 zilches.

and on at least 1, probably 2 fg's, penalties took us out of td range (those two consecutive offensive p i calls that led to the 49 yd field goal). It wasnt an offensive breakdown, like the last series of Cal. That can be fixed.

Mormon Red Death
09-01-2017, 08:41 AM
and on at least 1, probably 2 fg's, penalties took us out of td range (those two consecutive offensive p i calls that led to the 49 yd field goal). It wasnt an offensive breakdown, like the last series of Cal. That can be fixed.

it was 2. Troy McCormick's td was called back for a bullshit holding.

SoCalPat
09-01-2017, 09:42 AM
Last night showed why Huntley won the job. A friend of mine on staff said the reason that Huntley's running ability was important is that they were worried that the O line couldn't protect the qb. Also worried that Moss would turn out to be no Joe Williams. Said if they had last years o line and Joe W., Troy probably would have won the job.

I thought Huntley was great for his first game (despite overthrowing two touchdown passes to Carrington) and the right choice, and Moss was good enough (well see what he does against a pac 12 front seven). The o line? geez.

Nailed it, and although UND isn't reflective of what we'll see the rest of the year, our approach in these FCS games reflect what the staff thinks we're capable of. It's also a good barometer of what will happen the rest of the year. Take last year, for instance. Troy threw 35 passes in that game (more than half that number came in the first half), because we knew he needed the work and that the O-line would protect him. We also had big success going deep, with two plays over 50 yards.

This year? The O-line is a work in progress, so we need a QB that can extend drives with his legs. There's no way we game-plan for 18 QB runs against a FCS school, but that's what we need behind center -- a guy that is mobile and can run, and who is probably a little more accurate in the short game.

At worst, last night showed me we're treading water on offense (and let's be honest -- outside of the red zone, our offense was OK last year). It looked different, and in some ways, it was just as effective. But we need to be able to have success vertically. One pass play over 20 yards ain't cutting it against any level of opposition.

I was skeptical of the move to Huntley, but last night showed me our coaches are very skilled at making the most out of what they have. It was the right move. But true improvement from last year will only come as fast as the O-line will progress. For as much as we run, we have to be able to take deep shots downfield.

Applejack
09-01-2017, 10:48 AM
Things I'm interested in (in an otherwise uninteresting game):

1. How do the young dbs look? ND doesn't throw as much as a PAC-12 team, but I'm sure they will test the dbs. If they struggle, don't burn the house down, but it might be a long year in conference.
2. Can the O-Line sustain pass protection? I think the young O-line is a big reason that Huntley won the job. Much like Taysom for BYU last year, he might not be the best passer but he can do other things when pass protection breaks down. I would be surprised if the O-line can gel this early, but I hope for some signs that it is coming.
3. D-line depth: we have a great starting four, but behind them there is potential but little experience.
4. Is this the year of the TE for Utah football, given that our two best returning pass catchers play TE? (NO, it's never the year for the TE in Utah football).
5. Can Huntley stretch the field vertically? He will be dangerous if he can keep defenses honest with his arm. If he is a glorified RB, trouble.
6. What will Zion's Bank do this year for in-between timeout entertainment?
7. Young guys: Nacua, Tupai, J Johnson, etc. Lot's of hype; how do they look when they get actual game minutes?
8. Do we have a kicker or do we decide to go for everything that is 4th and less than 20 inside the 30?
9. What is it like not to have a RB that can take any carry to the house?
10. FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Swish!

sancho
09-01-2017, 10:57 AM
I agree with everyone else. Seems clear that Huntley's legs had a lot to do with him winning the starting job. And that makes sense with this team.

Looks like we will have a lot of quick throws, roll-outs, zone reads, and designed QB runs. I wasn't too worried, but it is reassuring to see the RB get 20 carries.

Obviously, both Huntley and Moss will have a harder time against every other team on our schedule.

snafu
09-01-2017, 11:41 AM
Any word on the Laufatasaga situation? Did anyone else get banged up?

sancho
09-01-2017, 11:59 AM
Any word on the Laufatasaga situation? Did anyone else get banged up?

I think x-rays are for today. Whitt only discloses season-ending injuries, so no news would be good news.

Solon
09-01-2017, 12:16 PM
I enjoyed the game, especially since I've been jonesing ever since basketball wheezed out in the NIT 5 months ago.

I mostly enjoyed watching Chase Hansen. I remember watching Penn State games and only watching what Sean Lee did - Hansen has the same effect on me - I like to watch him on every play, regardless of the play's action and outcome.

This team has flaws, like any college team, but there is some really impressive talent.

Finally, as a Big Sky homer, North Dakota is a pretty solid program. They would beat some FCS schools.

SeattleUte
09-01-2017, 02:14 PM

We've already seen that Moss can move the ball against the PAC 12. He was a stellar freshman last year. But what are the odds that he'll get injured like last year? That's what I'm worried about. If he stays healthy, he'll be good enough or better than good enough.

chrisrenrut
09-01-2017, 02:22 PM
We've already seen that Moss can move the ball against the PAC 12. He was a stellar freshman last year. But what are the odds that he'll get injured like last year? That's what I'm worried about. If he stays healthy, he'll be good enough or better than good enough.

I don' remember him being stellar last year. In fact, I think he got out-Shyne'd. I am also worried about injuries at the RB spot. We already lost #1 in fall camp, and any more injuries will have some serious impacts.

I worry if we rely on Huntley too much in the run game, he will go down, and then we'll be back to Troy, who won't have a Joe Williams-caliber back to support him.

snafu
09-01-2017, 02:42 PM
At worst, last night showed me we're treading water on offense (and let's be honest -- outside of the red zone, our offense was OK last year). It looked different, and in some ways, it was just as effective. But we need to be able to have success vertically. One pass play over 20 yards ain't cutting it against any level of opposition.

I was skeptical of the move to Huntley, but last night showed me our coaches are very skilled at making the most out of what they have. It was the right move. But true improvement from last year will only come as fast as the O-line will progress. For as much as we run, we have to be able to take deep shots downfield.

We need better production in the red zone. Period. Huntley's running ability will make us more productive in that regard. That's what got him the job over Williams. Even with the all that NFL talent we had on the OL last year, we failed miserably in the red zone.

sancho
09-01-2017, 02:59 PM
I worry if we rely on Huntley too much in the run game, he will go down, and then we'll be back to Troy, who won't have a Joe Williams-caliber back to support him.

I think we can run Huntley as needed precisely because we have Williams and Bateman. How many teams have the luxury of a good, experienced, senior, team captain as a backup QB?

Two Utes
09-01-2017, 03:26 PM
I don' remember him being stellar last year. In fact, I think he got out-Shyne'd. I am also worried about injuries at the RB spot. We already lost #1 in fall camp, and any more injuries will have some serious impacts.

With that big backside, Moss reminds me of Marty Johnson.

Man, there is a lot of separation between Carrington and the other receivers. IMO, Nacua is going to end up being our second best receiver threat this year.

That gay kid from UVU is a pretty good kicker

sancho
09-01-2017, 03:29 PM
Carrington makes you realize that the rest of our receivers aren't very good. Man, there is a lot of separation between him and the other receivers. IMO, Nacua is going to end up being our second best receiver threat this year.

I think the WR corps is good as a group. Carrington is clearly the star. Simpkins and Singleton had great moments last season. Nacua and Wilson both seem to have a lot of potential. We've got a decent about of speed and size.

Two Utes
09-01-2017, 03:34 PM
I think the WR corps is good as a group. Carrington is clearly the star. Simpkins and Singleton had great moments last season. Nacua and Wilson both seem to have a lot of potential. We've got a decent about of speed and size.

From this fan's viewpoint, there is Carrington and then a huge drop off. He is in a different league than the others.

snafu
09-01-2017, 03:51 PM
From this fan's viewpoint, there is Carrington and then a huge drop off. He is in a different league than the others.

Time will tell. It will be interesting to see how the other guys develop. I believe Troy McCormick will become a big factor for this team. Teams will try to blanket Carrington leaving other WR more opportunities.

sancho
09-01-2017, 03:52 PM

I agree, but I think the whole thing has been elevated.

A few years ago, we had our star who was a late round pick plus a bunch of guys who were not great. Now, we have a star who could be an early round pick plus some guys who might become late round picks or at least be serviceable.

concerned
09-01-2017, 04:11 PM
Yep. Singleton was particularly disappointing.

I am not sure the entire corp has been elevated, the attention to carringtion may mask tjeir deficiencies.

Applejack
09-01-2017, 05:07 PM
I agree, but I think the whole thing has been elevated.

A few years ago, we had our star who was a late round pick plus a bunch of guys who were not great. Now, we have a star who could be an early round pick plus some guys who might become late round picks or at least be serviceable.

You give our receivers too much credit, imo. Look what happens when a legitimate pac 12 receiver joins the group: he has 11 catches while the others struggle to get two. Against north Dakota. I think the wrs are, as a whole, underwhelming.

USS Utah
09-01-2017, 05:28 PM
Finally, as a Big Sky homer, North Dakota is a pretty solid program. They would beat some FCS schools.

Gosh, I would hope so!

SeattleUte
09-01-2017, 05:38 PM

Your memory is faulty. Their stats were nearly identical, and Moss was a true freshman.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/utah/2016.html

Where was Shyne yesterday, anyway?

SeattleUte
09-01-2017, 05:42 PM
Man, there is a lot of separation between Carrington and the other receivers. IMO, Nacua is going to end up being our second best receiver threat this year.

Swish! Last season after the Oregon game I said that Oregon beat us because it has better players. Because of that comment, LAUte vilified me for months.

sancho
09-01-2017, 05:52 PM
You give our receivers too much credit, imo. Look what happens when a legitimate pac 12 receiver joins the group: he has 11 catches while the others struggle to get two. Against north Dakota. I think the wrs are, as a whole, underwhelming.

You think I'm singing their praises, but I'm just saying this supporting group is better than the supporting group Dres Anderson had.

I do agree with concerned. I've never seen much out of Singleton.

concerned
09-01-2017, 05:58 PM
Your memory is faulty. Their stats were nearly identical, and Moss was a true freshman.

If you dont know where Shyne was, you need to turn in your fan card or get int
the game. You have outed yourself

Utah
09-01-2017, 07:00 PM
Huntley made a few throws yesterday that Troy never made last year.

Huntley did miss two guys deep yesterday that Troy probably completes for TD's

If Huntley can figure those deep throws out, then it's not close with Troy.

Troy was 57% vs SUU. Huntley was 72% vs a much better ND team.

Huntley is the better QB.

sancho
09-01-2017, 07:24 PM
Huntley made a few throws yesterday that Troy never made last year.

I'm excited for Huntley, too, but what throws are you talking about? He mostly completed short, easy passes.

I don't know if comparing completion percentages is very meaningful since the offensive approach is quite different.

sancho
09-01-2017, 07:31 PM
You think I'm singing their praises, but I'm just saying this supporting group is better than the supporting group Dres Anderson had.

I do agree with concerned. I've never seen much out of Singleton.

We completed 23 passes to 9 different receivers last night. Y'all know I'm a fan of spreading out the receptions. Carrington had 10 of the receptions. I think this is good as a model. We want Carrington getting 100 yards, and we want the others to have a few receptions each.

I guess we'll see. If opponents are able to focus on Carrington without worrying about our other WRs, I will have been proven wrong. I think our WRs will be good enough to make our opponents think hard about how to approach Carrington.

chrisrenrut
09-01-2017, 09:12 PM

Identical stats with a guy who went out mid-season with an ACL tear?

Shyne went down in fall camp, rumored to be a broken arm. He was projected to be the #1 back in camp, with Moss close behind him.

I hope Moss has a breakout year. I just haven't seen anything exceptional from him. . .yet.

SeattleUte
09-01-2017, 10:19 PM
Identical stats with a guy who went out mid-season with an ACL tear?

Shyne went down in fall camp, rumored to be a broken arm. He was projected to be the #1 back in camp, with Moss close behind him.

I hope Moss has a breakout year. I just haven't seen anything exceptional from him. . .yet.

Come on. They were both injured? you don't remember? Look at the stats. ALmost the same number of carries and yards per carry.

LA Ute
09-01-2017, 11:30 PM
Swish! Last season after the Oregon game I said that Oregon beat us because it has better players. Because of that comment, LAUte vilified me for months.

And you deserved it!

Utah
09-01-2017, 11:41 PM
I'm excited for Huntley, too, but what throws are you talking about? He mostly completed short, easy passes.

I don't know if comparing completion percentages is very meaningful since the offensive approach is quite different.

This twitter link has picture of Tyler's sidearm throw:

https://twitter.com/holli_alexa/status/903626963327229954

I do believe he had another side arm throw as well to get the ball around a defender to the reciever.

Tyler's dump off to Moss when he could have run it.

Tyler had a 13 yard throw to Carrington where he was flushed out of the pocket, he tucked it to run then he tossed it to Carrington.

Just little things like that.

To be fair to Troy, Huntley had a couple of big completions on third and long, where Utah would have run it in the last. But, maybe ARod didn't trust TW enough to make that play call.

chrisrenrut
09-02-2017, 06:39 AM
Come on. They were both injured? you don't remember? Look at the stats. ALmost the same number of carries and yards per carry.

I had forgotten that Moss had some sort of nagging injury. He played in 10 games, compared to Shyne's 5. Of course, after Joe Williams came back and started running like a future NFL draft pick, Moss only got mop up duty. Perhaps that's why I don't remember Moss' performance last year as being "stellar".

LA Ute
09-02-2017, 07:25 AM
I had forgotten that Moss had some sort of nagging injury. He played in 10 games, compared to Shyne's 5. Of course, after Joe Williams came back and started running like a future NFL draft pick, Moss only got mop up duty. Perhaps that's why I don't remember Moss' performance last year as being "stellar".

I remember that he showed lots of promise before Joe came back.

SeattleUte
09-03-2017, 06:23 PM

If you think there was any such ting as mop up duty last season after Joe Williams got going, you need to turn in your fan card or get int the game. You have outed yourself.

The fact is that Moss played hurt, and Shyne never did play hurt, and Moss is a year younger, and their stats were nearly identical in yards, yards per carry, etc. The only reason Williams came back was that both Moss and Shyne were injured.

sancho
09-03-2017, 07:21 PM
If you think there was any such ting as mop up duty last season after Joe Williams got going, you need to turn in your fan card or get int the game. You have outed yourself.

The fact is that Moss played hurt, and Shyne never did play hurt, and Moss is a year younger, and their stats were nearly identical in yards, yards per carry, etc. The only reason Williams came back was that both Moss and Shyne were injured.

Another fact: Shyne beat out Moss for the starting job last season and again this off-season. I'm fine with Moss, but Shyne has been better.

NorthwestUteFan
09-03-2017, 07:37 PM
Since we won't see Shyne this year we can be happy to remember Moss putting 100+ yards vs USC.

sancho
09-03-2017, 07:47 PM
Since we won't see Shyne this year we can be happy to remember Moss putting 100+ yards vs USC.

True! It's moss time.

Utah
09-03-2017, 09:29 PM
Because I don't want you to sound like a Zoob when a Zoob tells you why they think they have a shot this weekend:

What to say when a BYU fan says they are proud of their defense vs LSU:

Let’s look at their good defense, shall we?

LSU was 50% on third down efficiency. Not a sign of good defense.

LSU had 479 yards of offense. That sucks for BYU…but then again, they said our offense sucked vs ND and we had 499 yards of total offense…so at least they are consistent.

LSU’s QB went 15/18 (83%) for 10 yards per attempt. That is not good defense.

LSU ran for 296 yards. 2 hundred and nintey freaking six yards.

Finally, LSU held the ball for almost 42 minutes.

What a great freaking defensive showing. LOL.

Then toss in that Canada said he used LESS than 10% of LSU’s playbook? LSU freaking FCS’ed BYU. lol.

concerned
09-03-2017, 10:34 PM
Hard to get a feel for the Y's defense from lsu. Lsu only ran about 3 plays-- between the tackles, the fly sweep, and the safe passes. They didnt try to spread it around, just pounded up tbe middle play after play. Their qb is immobile, and doesnt run a read option. They didnt really bother to test the Y defense or its speed sideline to to sideline. We dont have an rb like gueis, and our o line won't be as strong, but our offense will be very different from lsu's, and present a lot of different issues for them--misdirection and the qb keeper for one, and rhe quick pass to carringonr for another. Can the Y safeties continue to play as deep as they did last night?

Utah
09-03-2017, 11:01 PM
If they keep their safeties that deep, Moss, DHC and Howard will just 5-7 yard them to death.

Our OL had its issues, but in the second half, their rush push was fantastic.

If they bring their safeties up, Handley, Carrington, Fulks and Nacua and Singleton will have a field day vs their coverage.

If BYU couldn't slow down LSU's three plays, they are screwed.

Scratch
09-03-2017, 11:28 PM
Also keep in mind that BYU's defense only forced one punt and didn't force any turnovers.

U-Ute
09-05-2017, 04:01 PM
Also keep in mind that BYU's defense only forced one punt and didn't force any turnovers.

You're making me overconfident.