PDA

View Full Version : Riley Nelson Rule. May still take effect.

Crimsonute
02-24-2013, 09:33 PM
Many were concerned with the new Mission age for LDS you men, that people like Lowell Lotulelei going on a mission, would be fair game for schools to recruit for the two years they are gone. We heard in Ward Council today from our Bishop, that our Stake President said the Church is going to make a statement to encourage all the young people about to serve a mission out of HS to enroll in their college of choice, and request a deferral.

That way they don't spend the last few months of their mission trying to get school squared away. Where the NCAA may not allow them to sign a LOI, it looks like the church will be encouraging enrollment before they leave.

Jarid in Cedar
02-24-2013, 09:43 PM
This is a good step. I worried that combining the strict 25 LOI rule of the NCAA(which basically makes having sign n sends a really bad idea), with the new mission age would basically have those kids have to be recruited twice. I can understand the benefits to any student in doing what the church is suggesting.

LA Ute
02-24-2013, 09:54 PM
The visiting GA in our stake conference today (a member of the Missionary Committee) said the same thing. The idea is to get accepted and get a deferral pre-mission.

UTEopia
02-24-2013, 10:10 PM
I'm not sure that will change anything because simply being accepted and enrolled does not initialize a player and start his clock running. He must actually attend school for the clock to start. That is the key to the Riley Nelson rule.

LA Ute
02-24-2013, 11:24 PM
I'm not sure that will change anything because simply being accepted and enrolled does not initialize a player and start his clock running. He must actually attend school for the clock to start. That is the key to the Riley Nelson rule.

I was thinking the same thing. I wonder if the rule will be modified?