PDA

View Full Version : The quarterback competition 2017

LA Ute
08-21-2017, 10:14 AM
Well, Huntley is the starter. I am a bit surprised. Quick thoughts from a fan who is admittedly not a football "mind," just an ardent Utah fan:

Taylor wants to pass a lot. This must mean he has more confidence in Huntley's accuracy than Williams'. Based on what I have read here, that is a surprise.

Does this mean that Willingham really has turned the offense over to Taylor? Or could it mean something else?

The constant refrain I hear about Huntley is that he is an amazing athlete. I don't recall the last time Utah had an amazing athlete at quarterback. We might be in for a lot of unexpected fun this season.

sancho
08-21-2017, 10:17 AM
Does this mean that Willingham really has turned the offense over to Taylor? Or could it mean something else?

I don't think you conclude anything. Maybe Taylor made the call; maybe there was consensus.

LA Ute
08-21-2017, 10:30 AM
I don't think you conclude anything. Maybe Taylor made the call; maybe there was consensus.

I was just speculating. I think you are right. The Occam's Razor answer is that there was a consensus on a decision this important.

concerned
08-21-2017, 10:46 AM
I was just speculating. I think you are right. The Occam's Razor answer is that there was a consensus on a decision this important.

FWIW, i heard that they may have reached consensus, but Whitt wanted Williams. That is why it took so long. Staff is concerned that TW will become a turnover machine in the P12 games.

Utah
08-21-2017, 10:49 AM
Whitt wants safe.

The reason why I'm not surprised at all?

Last year Williams had 20 TD's and 19 INT/fumbles.

Huntley can't be any worse than that.

U-Ute
08-21-2017, 10:49 AM
Thoughts:

Starting Huntley could be dangerous. If he struggles, do we put in Williams or ride out Huntley? If we put in Williams, Huntley may tank.
I wonder if Huntley put some pressure on the coaching staff by thinking of transferring. He wouldn't want to not play this year then compete against Tuttle next year with both of them on equal experience footing. He wants to get his experience now so he would be the de-facto starter next year.
Can Williams be a graduate transfer to OSU right now?

sancho
08-21-2017, 10:52 AM
Isn't Williams a team captain?

sancho
08-21-2017, 10:53 AM
If he struggles, do we put in Williams or ride out Huntley? If we put in Williams, Huntley may tank.

This is inevitable, right? As soon as Huntley struggles, the pressure to go with Williams will be there. It was a complete disaster when we did that back-and-forth a few years ago.

Applejack
08-21-2017, 11:26 AM
Uh, wha happend!!!!!!???????????

Utah
08-21-2017, 11:29 AM
I find it interesting how protective of a poor QB we are.

We should be glad that someone was better than Troy because Troy wasn't very good last year.
Is it because we have no faith in our offense at all?

Or do we paint Troy in a rosier light because we underachieved last year but still won 9 games?

We lost 18 players to the NFL. We should have been in the playoffs. QB play was terrible last year.

Yet we long for that?

Applejack
08-21-2017, 11:35 AM
I find it interesting how protective of a poor QB we are.

We should be glad that someone was better than Troy because Troy wasn't very good last year.
Is it because we have no faith in our offense at all?

Or do we paint Troy in a rosier light because we underachieved last year but still won 9 games?

We lost 18 players to the NFL. We should have been in the playoffs. QB play was terrible last year.

Yet we long for that?

Toeing the party line seconds after the announcement is made; hats off.

I don't think anyone thought that Troy W was a world beater last year. But he was very similar to T Wilson, IMO.

You're telling me that you are stoked to have Huntley start, a sophomore running QB that looks about 150 soaking wet?

sancho
08-21-2017, 11:42 AM

I don't think anyone thought that Troy W was a world beater last year. But he was very similar to T Wilson, IMO.

You're telling me that you are stoked to have Huntley start, a sophomore running QB that looks about 150 soaking wet?

Personally, I think our coaching staff - especially Taylor - is getting overly excited about the new offense. I mean, it killed in high school last year. They have convinced themselves that it is dynamite and that we'll take the conference by storm. They figure Huntley is the guy to do that. Once reality sets in - they might wish they had gone with the experienced QB.

The good news is that the experienced QB will be there waiting if/when they need him. The bad news is that QB switching mid season is usually a sign of a train wreck.

Applejack
08-21-2017, 11:48 AM
Personally, I think our coaching staff - especially Taylor - is getting overly excited about the new offense. I mean, it killed in high school last year. They have convinced themselves that it is dynamite and that we'll take the conference by storm. They figure Huntley is the guy to do that. Once reality sets in - they might wish they had gone with the experienced QB.

The good news is that the experienced QB will be there waiting if/when they need him. The bad news is that QB switching mid season is usually a sign of a train wreck.

Yes to everything.

LA Ute
08-21-2017, 11:55 AM
At the end of October I want to compare what has happened by then with these statements:

Utes coach Kyle Whittingham described Huntley’s play-making ability as “electric” earlier in camp.

“He’s progressed a lot,” Taylor said last week of Huntley. “From the spring until now, he’s almost a different guy.”

“We’ve been running the heck out of the ball for a lot of years,” Whittingham said at the start of camp. “The last three years in particular, we haven’t gotten over the hump. We’re coming up short, and we’ve got to be better in throwing the football. That’s [Taylor’s] forte. That’s his area of expertise. That and quarterback development.”

Utah football: Sophomore Tyler Huntley is named Utah's starting quarterback, edging out senior Troy Williams (http://www.sltrib.com/sports/2017/08/21/utah-football-sophomore-tyler-huntley-is-named-utah-starting-quarterback-edging-out-senior-troy-williams/)

Utah
08-21-2017, 11:58 AM

I don't think our coaches are that dumb.

I didn't realize Taylor coached EWU and High School last year. Impressive.

Have any of you guys watched Huntley?

Have any of you watched Taylor's offense last year?

Do you honestly think that they ran a high school offense vs our defense and our defense let them be successful for some feel goods?

What about Yogi Roth? Did Utah coaches pay him to be so complimentary of the offense?

Come on guys.

Now, you bring up experience. What about Troy's experience do you love?

His 53% completion?

His 20 TD's and 19 INT/fumbles?

His 11th ranked red zone scoring (and over 100th ranked nationally)?

His poor pass efficiency?

We should have won the PAC-12 last year. We had the talent. We had the easy schedule.

Yet we failed. Why? Our QB play.

We had the #3 rushing offense in the PAC-12. It wasn't the OL and RB's fault.

So, we've found a better QB and everyone starts wishing for Troy?

That's is what I don't get. It doesn't make sense.

But I guess I just "toe the party line"

Lol.

tooblue
08-21-2017, 12:00 PM

Let's break this down ... The QB situation, taking on transfers of not just questionable, but highly questionable character, and all after turning the offense over to an unproven FCS coach, in the context of struggling to find success with college football hall of fame coaches he has had on his staff, reeks of certain desperation. Whittingham is desperate to get over a hump that likely just isn't scalable for a program like Utah.

On some level, you've got to admire the decision making: he's all in this season on maybe trying something radically different and changing Utah's football fortunes. Of course it could also be the perfect storm of poor decision making that signals Utah, as a program, under Whittingham has peaked, and is on the downhill slope.

Tactically, it makes sense, especially if the coaches have determined they aren't going to have much of a running game. Of course, through the media we have been told, the Utes will plan to throw it 7 out of 8 plays, and you just brought in (questionable character et al) a true difference maker at receiver. But You're telling me this sophomore is the best bet to get him the ball?

:eek:

LA Ute
08-21-2017, 12:01 PM
Let's break this down ... The QB situation, taking on transfers of not just questionable, but highly questionable character, and all after turning the offense over to an unproven FCS coach, in the context of struggling to find success with college football hall of fame coaches he has had on his staff, reeks of certain desperation. Whittingham is desperate to get over a hump that likely just isn't scalable for a program like Utah.

On some level, you've got to admire the decision making: he's all in this season on maybe trying something radically different and changing Utah's football fortunes. Of course it could also be the perfect storm of poor decision making that signals Utah, as a program, under Whittingham has peaked, and is on the downhill slope.

Tactically, it makes sense, especially if the coaches have determined they aren't going to have much of a running game. Of course, through the media we have been told, the Utes will plan to throw it 7 - 8 plays, and you just brought in (questionable character et al) a true difference maker at receiver. But You're telling me this sophomore is the best bet to get him the ball?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTwZZz0HV8I

tooblue
08-21-2017, 12:03 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTwZZz0HV8I

I don't think the Utes are doomed. I think, by the end of the season, Ute fans will see both Williams and Bateman start.

concerned
08-21-2017, 12:04 PM
who knows how this will turn out, but for a Y fan to complain about Troy Taylor's prior coaching experience is rich, given Detmer's pedigree at a tiny private school in Texas.

LA Ute
08-21-2017, 12:06 PM
I don't think the Utes are doomed. I think, by the end of the season, Ute fans will see both Williams and Bateman start.

Hmmm.

Whittingham is desperate to get over a hump that likely just isn't scalable for a program like Utah.... Of course it could also be the perfect storm of poor decision making that signals Utah, as a program, under Whittingham has peaked, and is on the downhill slope.

Clearly our situation is hopeless. Fortunately we Utes fans are made of sterner stuff than you think we are.

tooblue
08-21-2017, 12:07 PM
who knows how this will turn out, but for a Y fan to complain about Troy Taylor's prior coaching experience is rich, given Detmer's pedigree at a tiny private school in Texas.

I thought we were talking Utah football—take that crap (auto correct?) to the 'I Wish I Knew How to Quit You' thread.

concerned
08-21-2017, 12:08 PM
I thought we were talking utah football—take that clap trap to the 'I Wish I Knew How to Quit You' thread.

why do you bother?

DrumNFeather
08-21-2017, 12:10 PM
I listened to the Utecast fall camp wrap up this morning, and FWIW, they did say that Huntley was a pretty narrow miss on the team captain vote. So, he's clearly a guy the team can rally around, IMO.

tooblue
08-21-2017, 12:11 PM
why do you bother?

It's a sports message board. I grew up going to Utah games, playing touch football in the south end zone blah blah ... when Mormon Red Death calls, I still go to games with him, just like he will happily go to BYU games with me. Of all the sports I watch, I love college football the most, so why not?

Utah
08-21-2017, 12:13 PM
Why is Taylor unproven?

U-Ute
08-21-2017, 12:18 PM
With Huntley's ability and desire to take off and run, my guess is we will see plenty of Williams this year anyway.

tooblue
08-21-2017, 12:18 PM
Why is Taylor unproven?

As compared to Andy Ludwig, Dennis Erikson, Norm Chow etc., he's unproven. It's a radical choice and just might work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_d-9xHZoGo

Utah
08-21-2017, 12:19 PM
Again, why is he unproven?

What has he not proved? Can he not coach up a QB?

Can he not win?

Can he not be a play caller for an elite offense?

What has he not proven?

sancho
08-21-2017, 12:26 PM
Again, why is he unproven?

What has he not proved? Can he not coach up a QB?

Can he not win?

Can he not be a play caller for an elite offense?

What has he not proven?

He hasn't proven anything yet. We're all happy to have him, and we're all optimistic, but he's the definition of unproven.

Huntley won the job - I'm happy and excited. Unlike you, I think Williams is a good QB. It would take a lot to win this job over TW, which makes me even more excited about Huntley. But, there will be speed bumps, both for Huntley and for Taylor. There always are. I think Taylor will be surprised that his offense doesn't translate into instant success in the Pac-12. There will be times when we will all wish we had TW's experience on the field.

Utah
08-21-2017, 12:31 PM
He hasn't proven anything yet. We're all happy to have him, and we're all optimistic, but he's the definition of unproven.

Huntley won the job - I'm happy and excited. Unlike you, I think Williams is a good QB. It would take a lot to win this job over TW, which makes me even more excited about Huntley. But, there will be speed bumps, both for Huntley and for Taylor. There always are. I think Taylor will be surprised that his offense doesn't translate into instant success in the Pac-12. There will be times when we will all wish we had TW's experience on the field.

So, he's never developed a QB?

He's never beaten a P5 school with a high powered offense?

He's never taken a shit storm of a program and turned into one of the best in the country?

What has he not proven?

Can he develop QB's?

I'd argue yes, look at his passing history (Folsom High results, last year his QB was a former walkon, and, oh, Jake Browning, arguably the most efficient QB in college football).

Can he call plays? He did great at the high school level and at the college level.

Now, he lacks experience at this level but unproven? No.

Where is he "unproven"?

sancho
08-21-2017, 12:33 PM
Have any of you guys watched Huntley?

I think we all have. Seems he's improved since then, though.

Utah
08-21-2017, 12:34 PM
Troy's experience? Like when he fumbled vs Washington and Oregon, costing us those games?

Like against Colorado, when to start the second half, we had three straight trips to the red zone and scored 6 points? We should have blown Colorado and Oregon out.

What great experience does he bring?

Like all the red zone turnovers vs BYU?

Utah
08-21-2017, 12:35 PM
I think we all have. Seems he's improved since then, though.

Have you seen him since the bowl game?

sancho
08-21-2017, 12:36 PM
Troy's experience? Like when he fumbled vs Washington and Oregon, costing us those games?

Like against Colorado, when to start the second half, we had three straight trips to the red zone and scored 6 points? We should have blown Colorado and Oregon out.

What great experience does he bring?

Like all the red zone turnovers vs BYU?

I think there is value in experience. I think Troy can learn from past mistakes. Huntley will first have to make those mistakes and then learn from them. It's fine. He's our guy. But I wouldn't just discount actual game experience as unimportant. Especially for a QB.

sancho
08-21-2017, 12:38 PM
Have you seen him since the bowl game?

Utah
08-21-2017, 12:42 PM

So, you haven't seen him?

Utah
08-21-2017, 12:45 PM
I think there is value in experience. I think Troy can learn from past mistakes. Huntley will first have to make those mistakes and then learn from them. It's fine. He's our guy. But I wouldn't just discount actual game experience as unimportant. Especially for a QB.

No one has discounted game experience. It is important.

The good news is, we have four games that Huntley, Troy, Jon Hays should be able to win to start the year.

Then a week off. Come Stanford, Huntley will have a lot of valuable experience.

Stanford will be a test for sure. But, they are a bit overrated as well.

USC is a loss. Doesn't matter who our QB is.

After that, we should be 5-1 with a very experienced QB.

Because of that, I want talent over experience. When we "need" an experienced QB, Huntley will be experienced.

sancho
08-21-2017, 12:46 PM
So, you haven't seen him?

I don't doubt that he outperformed Williams this Fall. I don't think he'd be named the starter otherwise. I'm just saying that I've seen every minute of his meaningful play.

UtahsMrSports
08-21-2017, 12:46 PM
I certainly dont think the coaches have fallen in love with themselves or with their offense. I think this is what it is- Huntley beat out Williams and gives the team the best chance to win. Time will tell.

Utah
08-21-2017, 12:47 PM
Look at our schedule. With "average" QB play, we could start out 9-1.

Troy is a below average QB.

Let's find an average QB.

Utah
08-21-2017, 12:48 PM
I certainly dont think the coaches have fallen in love with themselves or with their offense. I think this is what it is- Huntley beat out Williams and gives the team the best chance to win. Time will tell.

I agree with this.

SoCalPat
08-21-2017, 12:58 PM
FWIW, i heard that they may have reached consensus, but Whitt wanted Williams. That is why it took so long. Staff is concerned that TW will become a turnover machine in the P12 games.

This better work, lest Kyle never be on the wrong side of such a decision again.

This is a one-time deal for Taylor, IMO.

Utah
08-21-2017, 01:00 PM

I just noticed this in your post.

Did you mean to say "TW will become a turnover machine" or TH?

Could Huntley turn it over more than Troy? I hope not.

concerned
08-21-2017, 01:06 PM
I just noticed this in your post.

Did you mean to say "TW will become a turnover machine" or TH?

Could Huntley turn it over more than Troy? I hope not.

TW. that is a reason they picked Huntley.

chrisrenrut
08-21-2017, 01:26 PM
So, he's never developed a QB? At the pee wee and high school level.

He's never beaten a P5 school with a high powered offense? Once

He's never taken a shit storm of a program and turned into one of the best in the country? ???

What has he not proven? That his offense and player development can translate to consistent success at the D-1, let alone FBS level.

Can he develop QB's? At the D1 level? Maybe.

I'd argue yes, look at his passing history (Folsom High results, last year his QB was a former walkon, and, oh, Jake Browning, arguably the most efficient QB in college football).

Can he call plays? He did great at the high school level and at the college level.

Now, he lacks experience at this level but unproven? No.

Where is he "unproven"?

Here is his coaching resume. Zero experience coaching at the D-1 level. At a level that matters, he hasn't proven anything yet. I'm hoping like mad that he is an undiscovered savant at college football offense and quarterback development, but I'll take an approach that rational BYU fans (if such a thing exists) should have taken with Detmer being hired as BYU's OC. Cautious optimism.

2001–2002

Sacramento (CA) Christian Brothers HS (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Brothers_High_School_(Sacramento,_Califo rnia)) (Asst.)

2003–2004

Folsom (CA) HS (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folsom_High_School)

2012–2015

Folsom (CA) HS (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folsom_High_School) (Co-HC)

Eastern Washington (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Washington_Eagles_football) (QB)

2017-present

Utah (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_Utes_football) (OC/QB)

Scratch
08-21-2017, 01:48 PM
Here is his coaching resume. Zero experience coaching at the D-1 level. At a level that matters, he hasn't proven anything yet. I'm hoping like mad that he is an undiscovered savant at college football offense and quarterback development, but I'll take an approach that rational BYU fans (if such a thing exists) should have taken with Detmer being hired as BYU's OC. Cautious optimism.

2001–2002
Sacramento (CA) Christian Brothers HS (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Brothers_High_School_(Sacramento,_Califo rnia)) (Asst.)

2003–2004
Folsom (CA) HS (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folsom_High_School)

2012–2015
Folsom (CA) HS (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folsom_High_School) (Co-HC)

Eastern Washington (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Washington_Eagles_football) (QB)

2017-present
Utah (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_Utes_football) (OC/QB)

FWIW, Eastern Washington is D-1.

Utah
08-21-2017, 01:56 PM
FWIW, Eastern Washington is D-1.

Yup. He's not being rational. He's being sensational.

LA Ute
08-21-2017, 02:13 PM
Decent take from Kragthorpe.

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/2017/08/21/kragthorpe-troy-taylors-imprint-is-all-over-utes-choice-of-qb-tyler-huntley/

EutawStUtesFan
08-21-2017, 02:24 PM
Important thing here is that Roderick no longer has anything to do with the the offense. That has to be worth about +20 pts/game.

chrisrenrut
08-21-2017, 02:51 PM
Yup. He's not being rational. He's being sensational.

Sorry, technical error. Still, FCS vs. FBS is a big jump.

It made my day to be accused of being "sensational" by Utah.

U-Ute
08-21-2017, 03:07 PM
TW. that is a reason they picked Huntley.

From what little I've seen of Huntley, he is a gunslinger like Travis Wilson was early on. That usually leads to turnovers.

Scorcho
08-21-2017, 03:10 PM
picking Troy Williams was the safe move. If its 2015 all over again and Utah opens up with Michigan, maybe you can't get by with Huntley and you go with the Senior. Utah's schedule is light enough early that it gives the Soph some time for some game experience. Its a risky bold move and one Utah has been afraid to pull the trigger on in the past. I'll give the coaches the benefit of the doubt that Huntley graded out higher and that he won the job outright.

If you watch EWU last year, its simply shotgun, no fancy formations 4-5 yard quick short passes. Its the same 15-20 plays over and over. It reminds me a little of Urban Meyers offense. Maybe Huntley is just better suited for that than Williams.

While many believed Williams would naturally return as the starting quarterback, Whittingham praised Huntley’s escapability, saying that he had a leg-up on the competition.
“(Escapability) is a big component of it, of the spread offenses,” Whittingham said. “The quarterback extending the game and QB-run game is a very predominant part of what we’re going to do. It’s where (Huntley) gets a big advantage.”

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=45498926&nid=635

chrisrenrut
08-21-2017, 03:57 PM
I'm nervous about Huntley being the starter. I had bought into SCP's theory of upper-classmen qb's returning for their senior year having good seasons. I also think a lot of William's struggles last year came from playing injured the last half of the year, plus not having great receivers, or offensive play calling. I was hoping to see him come in healthy, with renewed confidence, a better receiving corps, better play calling, and excel.

We may still see Troy, either due to Huntley being injured or ineffective. I hope if Huntley is ineffective, they give him a long leash, but at the same time would hate to see cost us any losses.

That being said, I'm sure the decision was not made lightly by the coaches who have watched them both through fall camp.

LA Ute
08-21-2017, 05:12 PM
FWIW.

Twelve Players Who Can Transform Their Teams From Contenders to Champions (https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/08/21/playoff-contenders-rashan-gary-drake-davis)

Andy Staple mentions Huntley. That was quick.

TYLER HUNTLEY, QB, UTAH

Senior Troy Williams, the 2016 starter, was named a captain this season, but Utes coach Kyle Whittingham left open the possibility of a Trevor Knight situation—remember, Knight was named a captain at Oklahoma in ’15, but Mayfield won the starting job. On Monday, Utah named Huntley the starter, and the sophomore will play behind a rebuilt line in the offense that first-year coordinator Troy Taylor brought from Eastern Washington. For the Utes to finally get over the hump in the Pac-12 South, they’ll need a dynamic offense anddynamic quarterback play. Taylor’s scheme seems to fit the bill; now the Utes just need Huntley to run it.

justaute
08-21-2017, 05:41 PM
People sure like make up things to fit their narrative -- unsurprisingly. People argue just for the sake of arguing? Again, not surprised.

Define "running game". Is a short-throw to the RB a running game? What's the context?

Questionable character? Ok -- don't disagree. Whit has been known as a high character guy, I guess we'll see how this plays out. Talk about character, at least Utah doesn't airbrush players' tatoos out of its programs or hires coaches who call-out an 18 yo decided to attend Duke. There is so much more.

QB -- I have no idea if the coaches made the right decision. Do you have enough information that he's not the right QB? Or, are you so narrow-minded that you are asking the question just so you can possibly poke holes? Who, in this forum, has enough knowledge and insights to tell you "yes" the coaches made the correct decision? If the coaches made the wrong decision, then make another one. If they continue to make the wrong decisions, then perhaps it's time for a new coach. Let's see what the on-field results bring.

UTEopia
08-21-2017, 10:27 PM
Important thing here is that Roderick no longer has anything to do with the the offense. That has to be worth about +20 pts/game.

Well then we should win every game since we will be averaging 51 points a game instead of 31.

Utah
08-21-2017, 10:50 PM
People sure like make up things to fit their narrative -- unsurprisingly. People argue just for the sake of arguing? Again, not surprised.

Define "running game". Is a short-throw to the RB a running game? What's the context?

Questionable character? Ok -- don't disagree. Whit has been known as a high character guy, I guess we'll see how this plays out. Talk about character, at least Utah doesn't airbrush players' tatoos out of its programs or hires coaches who call-out an 18 yo decided to attend Duke. There is so much more.

QB -- I have no idea if the coaches made the right decision. Do you have enough information that he's not the right QB? Or, are you so narrow-minded that you are asking the question just so you can possibly poke holes? Who, in this forum, has enough knowledge and insights to tell you "yes" the coaches made the correct decision? If the coaches made the wrong decision, then make another one. If they continue to make the wrong decisions, then perhaps it's time for a new coach. Let's see what the on-field results bring.

I have no clue what you are trying to say. You are all over the place.

justaute
08-21-2017, 11:04 PM
My bad...it was posted in response to tooblue's comments.

http://www.utahby5.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by tooblue http://www.utahby5.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.utahby5.com/showthread.php?p=102767#post102767)

Tactically, it makes sense, especially if the coaches have determined they aren't going to have much of a running game. Of course, through the media we have been told, the Utes will plan to throw it 7 - 8 plays, and you just brought in (questionable character et al) a true difference maker at receiver. But You're telling me this sophomore is the best bet to get him the ball?

I have no clue what you are trying to say. You are all over the place.

Utah
08-22-2017, 12:13 AM
No problem.

Nice Marmot
08-22-2017, 09:15 AM

I know I'm probably the only Ute fan who doesn't blame Roderick for Utah's offensive struggles, but the OC is only as good as his players. Utah has had below average QBs in the PAC12 and well below average WRs. With very good OL and RBs, it's a no brainer to run the ball. The trouble came on third and 8 when none of the WRs could get open. Maybe it was Roderrick's fault the talent wasn't better but I don't blame him for the offensive troubles.

But what do I know? Hopefully Taylor has the talent to run his offense.

UTEopia
08-22-2017, 08:09 PM
I really hope Huntley is successful. I have to admit that I feel bad for Williams. I believe he will get his shot at some point and I hope he kills it.

Utah
08-22-2017, 08:20 PM
Hot take Tuesday:

Huntley gets close to 300 yards total offense vs ND.

100+ rushing
150+ passing

NorthwestUteFan
08-22-2017, 09:37 PM
FWIW, Eastern Washington is D-1.And so is Cal, where he coached. And Colorado, where he coached.And a few years in the NFL (even if riding pine) looks nice on a resume, as does being Cal's all-time best QB not named Jared Goff.

But he coached High School for 14 years, so screw him.

Right?

chrisrenrut
08-22-2017, 10:28 PM
And so is Cal, where he coached. And Colorado, where he coached.And a few years in the NFL (even if riding pine) looks nice on a resume, as does being Cal's all-time best QB not named Jared Goff.

But he coached High School for 14 years, so screw him.

Right?

I'll amend my take again to add "this century". And where did I say anything close to "screw him"?

Utah
08-22-2017, 11:22 PM

I decided to read through this thread again and this comment stuck out to me the second time around.

Dolce was on the radio recently and said he wasn't surprised that Whitt/Taylor went with Huntley as Whitt is always wanting the younger, higher potential guys to get on the field ASAP.

NorthwestUteFan
08-23-2017, 07:13 AM
I'll amend my take again to add "this century". And where did I say anything close to "screw him"?It doesn't really matter.

The fact that our OC/QB coach actually played QB and privately coached QBs in addition to coaching them in HS, is already a huge improvement for the coaching staff.

concerned
08-23-2017, 07:31 AM
not this time, according to staff. he had to be brought around.

LA Ute
08-23-2017, 08:10 AM
not this time, according to staff. he had to be brought around.

Who are you taking about?

NorthwestUteFan
08-23-2017, 08:16 AM
Who are you taking about?Whitt?

LA Ute
08-23-2017, 08:32 AM
One really positive thing to keep in mind: Utah has never had the depth at QB that it will this season.

concerned
08-23-2017, 08:39 AM
Who are you taking about?

Whitt. I was replying to Utah's post quoting Frank Dolce, but replied without quote by accident.

concerned
08-23-2017, 11:36 AM
+Food for thought

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/855663337991884800/82q-M6Fe_bigger.jpgAndrew Gorringe‏ @AGorringeScout (https://twitter.com/AGorringeScout) 2m2 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/AGorringeScout/status/900410715218952193)More

Something I thought about today. Troy Taylor is no stranger to having to select a starter from a QB competition.

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/855663337991884800/82q-M6Fe_bigger.jpgAndrew Gorringe‏ @AGorringeScout (https://twitter.com/AGorringeScout) 2m2 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/AGorringeScout/status/900410892130463744)More

Last year at EWU, he picked a starter in a 3-man competition. The QB he chose had never started a game before, and attempted just 13 passes.

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/855663337991884800/82q-M6Fe_bigger.jpgAndrew Gorringe‏ @AGorringeScout (https://twitter.com/AGorringeScout) 3s4 seconds ago (https://twitter.com/AGorringeScout/status/900411269974339584)More

That QB, Gage Gubrud, threw for 5,160 yards, completed 67% of his passes, had a 3.4/1 TD/INT ratio, ran for 600 yards and had 53 t

Utah
08-23-2017, 11:52 AM
300 yards total offense wouldn't surprise me at all from Huntley.

50+ rushing/game
250-ish passing/game

U-Ute
08-23-2017, 02:32 PM
I know I'm probably the only Ute fan who doesn't blame Roderick for Utah's offensive struggles, but the OC is only as good as his players. Utah has had below average QBs in the PAC12 and well below average WRs. With very good OL and RBs, it's a no brainer to run the ball. The trouble came on third and 8 when none of the WRs could get open. Maybe it was Roderrick's fault the talent wasn't better but I don't blame him for the offensive troubles.

But what do I know? Hopefully Taylor has the talent to run his offense.

I guess the big question is was it a lack of talent or unimaginative coaching.

I like ARod, so I don't want to dump on him. I suppose we may get somewhat of an answer this year.

Larry Stubing
08-23-2017, 03:46 PM
One really positive thing to keep in mind: Utah has never had the depth at QB that it will this season.

Utah definitely has more depth at QB than last year. Let's take a look at how this year stacks up with others:

2017: Huntley (SO), Williams (SR), Bateman (SR) - an unproven athletic starter with two senior backups who have proven to be tolerable but nothing special against PAC 12 and SEC opponents.
2016: Williams (JR), Huntley (true FR) - two unknowns, horrible depth.
2015: Wilson (SR), Thompson (SR), Cox (SO) - outstanding depth, two QBs who had started numerous games and a redshirt sophomore who had played in garbage time in 2014.
2014: Wilson (JR), Thompson (JR), Cox (FR redshirt)
2013: Wilson (SO), Shulz (SO), Manning (SO)
2012: Wynn (SR), Hays (came from a community college that cut their football program), Wilson (true freshman) - horrible depth, especially knowing Wynn was a china doll.
2011: Wynn (JR), Hays (came from a community college that cut their football program), Robles (SO), Shulz (FR) - horrible depth, especially knowing Wynn was a china doll.
2010: Wynn (SO), Cain (SR), Robles (FR)
2009: Cain (JR), Wynn (true FR), Christopher (true FR) - horrible depth, unproven JC QB with only true freshmen backing up.
2008: Johnson (SR), Louks (SO) - horrible depth, had BJ gone down the season would have gone from best ever to one of the worst.
2007: Johnson (JR), Grady (SR)
2006: Ratliff (SR), Grady (JR), Johnson (JR) - so much experienced depth that Johnson was redshirted to allow him additional season to heal from knee injury. In my opinion, this year we had the best depth ever.
2005: Johnson (SO), Ratliff (JR)
2004: Smith (JR), Johnson (true freshman) - horrible depth, only true freshman behind QB who would likely go to NFL.
2003: Elliot (JR), Smith (SO), Rice (SR)
2002: Rice (JR), Smith (true FR)
2001: Rice (SO), Breska (FR) - are you kidding me? Did we absolutely forget to recruit QBs, MAFU???
2000: Arceneaux (SR), Croshaw (JR), Rice (FR)

I feel we've had more depth than this coming season in 2015 and 2006. We've had terrible depth in 2001, 2002, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2016.

concerned
08-23-2017, 04:02 PM
I remember when Grady transferred from Oklahoma, Whit said something to the effect that we had the greatest qb depth in the country, and got roasted everywhere. Chalk that up to being a slightly inexperienced head coach.

Larry Stubing
08-23-2017, 06:57 PM
I remember when Grady transferred from Oklahoma, Whit said something to the effect that we had the greatest qb depth in the country, and got roasted everywhere. Chalk that up to being a slightly inexperienced head coach.

I think Grady would have been an NFL draft pick had Utah had any receivers for him to throw to. Derrick Richards....really?? Grady tore it up in AFL. Ratliff played in the NFL, and BJ is a legend. With all due respect to LA Ute, who is one of the more knowledgeable Ute fans I've come across, I maintain those three QB's were better than the three we have now. We do not have a QB that will ever be on an NFL roster.

U-Ute
08-24-2017, 08:29 AM
We do not have a QB that will ever be on an NFL roster.

I think that's more a factor of the divergence of the college and pro games WRT the spread offense. College coaches are paid to win college games and a running QB can do more damage in college than in the pros.

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-24-2017, 08:56 AM
Troy Williams high school coach is making some noise against Utah due to Huntley being named a starter. http://www.latimes.com/sports/highschool/varsity-times/la-sp-high-school-sports-updates-narbonne-coach-manuel-douglas-is-not-1503342208-htmlstory.html

Apparently, DJ and PK gave him another microphone on their radio show this morning.

Utah
08-24-2017, 09:23 AM
Classless by DJ and PK. Just goes to show you how pathetic BYU fan has become.

USS Utah
08-24-2017, 05:30 PM
While I feel inclined to defend to the Ute coaching staff from the accusations that they were being disingenuous -- holding off on the announcement so Troy wouldn't transfer -- I do agree that it doesn't make a whole of sense to bench a QB who beat USC and UCLA and started all 13 games while battling an injury.

If Huntley doesn't light it up in the first half of the opener, making people say "Wow, no wonder they named him the starter," this move will have a lot of fans calling for Troy to start the next game.

Diehard Ute
08-24-2017, 05:50 PM
While I feel inclined to defend to the Ute coaching staff from the accusations that they were being disingenuous -- holding off on the announcement so Troy wouldn't transfer -- I do agree that it doesn't make a whole of sense to bench a QB who beat USC and UCLA and started all 13 games while battling an injury.

If Huntley doesn't light it up in the first half of the opener, making people say "Wow, no wonder they named him the starter," this move will have a lot of fans calling for Troy to start the next game.

I don't understand posts like this

1) This idea that last years games automatically grant some status makes no sense. You want the best QB THIS year. What happened last September and October had little relevance. I appreciate what TW did, I like the kid, but wins last year are just that. Wins last year.

2) Fans want the backup regardless of who it is. That's the nature of fans. It happens regardless of who the starter is. I'm certainly glad our coaches don't let that decide who is starting.

Reading your post the coaches are damned either way they go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-24-2017, 05:56 PM
I don't understand posts like this

1) This idea that last years games automatically grant some status makes no sense. You want the best QB THIS year. What happened last September and October had little relevance. I appreciate what TW did, I like the kid, but wins last year are just that. Wins last year.

2) Fans want the backup regardless of who it is. That's the nature of fans. It happens regardless of who the starter is. I'm certainly glad our coaches don't let that decide who is starting.

Reading your post the coaches are damned either way they go.

Exactly. Any other position and no one blinks when last year's starter gets beat out. If anything, I feel optimistic when a solid starter gets beat out by an up and comer. That's how I'm going to feel going into this season.

USS Utah
08-24-2017, 06:16 PM
Exactly. Any other position and no one blinks when last year's starter gets beat out. If anything, I feel optimistic when a solid starter gets beat out by an up and comer. That's how I'm going to feel going into this season.

Other positions typically see some rotation throughout a game and no one blinks at that. Everybody takes notice when a change is made at QB during a game or week to week. Coaches were criticized when T Wilson was pulled for Thompson, arguing that TW's confidence was impacted by the short leash.

If Huntley really is the best player, than I would expect to be saying by halftime next Thursday, "Wow, no wonder they picked him." If it is a replay of last year's opener, I am going to be very concerned, and very doubtful.

Utah
08-24-2017, 06:34 PM
USS-

I'd counter with this:

If not for Troy, we blow BYU out, beat Cal, Oregon and Colorado and maybe even Washington.

Troy was really good vs USC and ASU.

And that was it.

He was not good at all the rest of the time.

Our defense and special teams were outstanding last year. Same with our run game. With an average passing game, we win the south and maybe the PAC-12. With an average passing game, we are in the Rose Bowl at worst.

Look at what Troy had:

5 NFL OL.
The best RB in Utah history.
At least one NFL WR, and probably two.

And Troy was bad. Bottom of the PAC-12. Thank goodness for OSU and Stanford to keep Troy off the basement floor.

Troy didn't earn anything from his play last year. In fact, we should all be glad he was beaten.

Utah
08-24-2017, 06:35 PM
I am going to be very concerned, and very doubtful.

You are a Utah fan. You wear your concern as a badge of honor.

😂

concerned
08-24-2017, 06:40 PM
You are a Utah fan. You wear your concern as a badge of honor.

😂

i am concerned. you are all lightweight pretenders.

USS Utah
08-24-2017, 07:19 PM
USS-

I'd counter with this:

If not for Troy, we blow BYU out, beat Cal, Oregon and Colorado and maybe even Washington.

Troy was really good vs USC and ASU.

And that was it.

He was not good at all the rest of the time.

Our defense and special teams were outstanding last year. Same with our run game. With an average passing game, we win the south and maybe the PAC-12. With an average passing game, we are in the Rose Bowl at worst.

Look at what Troy had:

5 NFL OL.
The best RB in Utah history.
At least one NFL WR, and probably two.

And Troy was bad. Bottom of the PAC-12. Thank goodness for OSU and Stanford to keep Troy off the basement floor.

Troy didn't earn anything from his play last year. In fact, we should all be glad he was beaten.

The QB tends to get the blame, even when it isn't deserved. Troy was better early than late, which might have had something to do with injury. What I remember against Cal is an running back running the wrong way and a pass defense that wasn't What I remember against Colorado are receivers dropping balls they should have caught.

In any case, the same could have been -- and was -- said about Travis Wilson. If my memory is right, you always defended TW.

Utah
08-24-2017, 09:15 PM
The QB tends to get the blame, even when it isn't deserved. Troy was better early than late, which might have had something to do with injury. What I remember against Cal is an running back running the wrong way and a pass defense that wasn't What I remember against Colorado are receivers dropping balls they should have caught.

In any case, the same could have been -- and was -- said about Travis Wilson. If my memory is right, you always defended TW.

I did. I loved me some Wilson. I will defend him to the bitter end.

I don't disagree with anything you've said. Being the QB is tough. I hope Huntley lights it up. I hope if TW plays he lights it up.

USS Utah
08-25-2017, 06:00 AM

Against Colorado, Joe Williams had a catastrophic fumble with 10 minutes left in the game. Troy subsequently led a scoring drive that finished with a TD. If not for the fumble, Utah wins.

SoCalPat
08-25-2017, 08:57 AM

He said that before Brian made the decision to redshirt.

So we had a guy who crushed it in two starts the year prior, a 4-star QB transfer from a traditional power and a third guy who was top 10 in total offense the year before as a true sophomore.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with Kyle's statement when he said it, and he proved to be right. Grady flamed out, but had a long successful career in the Arena League. Ratliff had a cup of coffee with the Jets, and Brian was POY and led the team to perhaps the greatest season in school history. Not only was there nothing wrong with Kyle's statement when he said it, he was 100 percent right.

Utah
08-25-2017, 11:09 AM
Ratliff was in the NFL for 5 years. Not too bad.

LA Ute
08-26-2017, 11:34 AM
This year we have a new starter, whom the coaches have surprisingly picked as our up-and-comer. He shows great promise.

The starter is backed up by the quarterback who started every game for us last season, who led us to nine wins, and who is a proven commodity. That backup came within a hair of being the starter again this year.

The third string quarterback was a backup at Alabama for four years.

I don't think we have ever had this kind of QB security in the past. Yes, we have been lucky when it turned out that our backup did well (Ratliff) but this year we have no reason to be worried if our first string quarterback goes out with an injury. We won't be saying, "Oh no! Tyler is out! What will we do? Do we have a decent backup?" That is what I am saying.

Brian
08-26-2017, 03:39 PM
I was thinking about the bowl game against Indiana. They played Tyler for a few series in that game, which I thought was kind of odd. It doesn't seem like a KW thing to do. At least I don't remember him doing this much over the years.

I wonder now if they were starting to think about this switch last year, and wanted to gather some game tape on Tyler to evaluate going into the offseason.

Utah
08-26-2017, 03:54 PM
I've heard through back channels from a player (cue Ferris Beuller) that the last month Huntley has been terrific throwing the ball.

U-Ute
08-28-2017, 08:16 AM
I've heard through back channels from a player (cue Ferris Beuller) that the last month Huntley has been terrific throwing the ball.

This has been a consistent theme echoed around the internet and on the radio. I hope that is the case and it isn't all coming from one Maybe the game has finally slowed down for him.

chrisrenrut
09-24-2017, 01:19 PM
Looking back on this, it’s pretty clear that Huntley was the best choice to start the season. Let’s hope Troy can step up and progress on his performance from last year. He’s going to have to be more effective with his arm, as our running game doesn’t seem to be nearly as strong as last year.

mUUser
09-24-2017, 02:05 PM
Just for fun, I'd love to see Bateman for a few series.

sancho
09-24-2017, 03:37 PM
Just for fun, I'd love to see Bateman for a few series.

I'd especially love to see that if it meant we were up by 35 points in the 4th quarter.

Ma'ake
09-24-2017, 03:46 PM
Looking back on this, it’s pretty clear that Huntley was the best choice to start the season. Let’s hope Troy can step up and progress on his performance from last year. He’s going to have to be more effective with his arm, as our running game doesn’t seem to be nearly as strong as last year.

It will be interesting to see how Taylor deploys Williams. Theoretically, the OL should be a little further along, and our WRs this year are unquestionably better than last year (even if Sioasi Wilson didn't *quite* pull off the perfect boundary catch like DC2 did against us last year).

If we can get better run blocking and production out of the RBs, I think Williams should be a little better than last year.

One thing I noticed from the game, though, was a few drops, even one from Carrington. Last year TW had the stronger arm. Does Huntley throw a softer, more catchable pass? Hopefully the drops on Friday were an anomaly.

Utah
09-24-2017, 05:16 PM
It will be interesting to see how Taylor deploys Williams. Theoretically, the OL should be a little further along, and our WRs this year are unquestionably better than last year (even if Sioasi Wilson didn't *quite* pull off the perfect boundary catch like DC2 did against us last year).

If we can get better run blocking and production out of the RBs, I think Williams should be a little better than last year.

One thing I noticed from the game, though, was a few drops, even one from Carrington. Last year TW had the stronger arm. Does Huntley throw a softer, more catchable pass? Hopefully the drops on Friday were an anomaly.

The drops stood out to me. It's getting safe to say that the drops last year and this year are more on Troy than the WR's. We didn't have drops with Huntley back there.

I hope Troy W can get better. He just looked like the same guy from last year. Just not good enough.

sancho
09-24-2017, 05:28 PM
It's getting safe to say that the drops last year and this year are more on Troy than the WR's. We didn't have drops with Huntley back there.

No, it's not. There's no quantity or quality of data to support this. Carrington's drop was on a great pass. In general, a drop is only considered a drop if the pass is good. A drop is an unfortunate error on the part of the WR - that is all.

I agree that Huntley looks to be capable of taking us to an entirely different level than Williams, but there's no need to pile on and assign TW blame for others' mistakes.

Utebiquitous
09-24-2017, 08:52 PM
Utah,
I'd call Williams snakebit before I'd blame him for receivers dropping excellent passes. Don't be ridiculous. I agree that Huntley should be the starter and has been solid if almost spectacular, but I'll tell you one thing that stood out immediately Friday. Williams is much more comfortable in the pocket.

I think we're fortunate to have a backup as good as Williams. I'm very comfortable saying he led us to a win Friday - along with Guidry's pick six.

Ma'ake
09-25-2017, 07:11 AM
The drops stood out to me. It's getting safe to say that the drops last year and this year are more on Troy than the WR's. We didn't have drops with Huntley back there.

I hope Troy W can get better. He just looked like the same guy from last year. Just not good enough.

My observation was based more on QBs having different velocities, which WRs need to adjust to. Kind of like the difference between catching a lefty QB's ball vs a righty. (To be fair, Huntley has a stronger arm than he did last year, when the difference in arm strength wasn't close at all.)

I don't expect most college WRs to have hands like the NFL guys, but for a bunch of guys who aspire to play on Sundays - particularly Carrington - to have blame assigned for them, on the QB, for catchable passes dropped, is not in any way acceptable. That would be like Brett Favre's college coach saying "he might be a great NFL prospect, but my WRs' hands are hurting. Let's go with the other guy".

Let's explore the physics here - if *I* was the QB, the WRs could catch passes with their pinkies. But none of those balls would arrive, because even the slowest D-lineman would close the gap on my passes. Which is why QBs are rated on arm strength, especially as it applies to higher levels of football.

I'm not talking about QBs throwing lasers for screen passes. I'm talking about downfield passes where coverage is an issue.

I'm confident the WRs will adjust to Williams' passes, but after the BYU game last year, Troy didn't throw many picks, either - 5 for the year, if you subtract those 3 mistakes in Game 2. Williams is a more deliberative passer, who is patient and when the passing lane opens, he fires a bullet. Huntley throws more off the run, and (at least against North Dakota, BYU and San Jose St), the threat of him running probably loosened coverage a little bit...coverage that was going to be looser, anyway, based on the general difference in athletic ability.

Huntley has been very promising, a lot of fun to watch, but let's remember the level of competition. For example, Williams threw 6 TDs in the SoCal JC championship game... in the first half. (His OC had to calm him down, because he wanted to throw 10 TDs for the game.)

Especially as we get into PAC-12 play, the old adage that "the enemy has a vote" applies. The speeds are higher, the passing windows are much smaller and short lived.

I don't expect Williams to have the same stats Huntley did in the first three games. And I don't expect Huntley to have those kind of numbers when he comes back for PAC-12 games.

(To elaborate further, some of the picks Huntley threw in the first 3 games would have lost us games in the PAC - like Guidry's pick-6 was the difference in Tucson on Friday. In our league, putting your defense in tough spots leads to worse outcomes than it did against North Dakota. But it was the right thing to do to stick with Huntley, to help get him up to speed in game-speed QB decision making, against inferior competition, in non-league games.)

They're apples & oranges. We can win with either QB, as long as all the rest of the ingredients hold up their end of the bargain.

Utah
09-25-2017, 12:42 PM
I don't disagree with anything you are saying. But, Carrington hasn't ever had drop issues. None of our WR's had them with Huntley.

Even last year in OOC play, there were drop issues.

At some point, some blame goes to Troy.

I don't recall Favre having drop issues with WR's (career 62% comp).

I don't know if it's an accuracy issue, a velocity issue or what, but we do know it's a Troy issue.

Look at Arizona's opposing QB's:

54%, 377 yards
78%, 225 yards
UTEP was weird: 29% for 59 yards, 65% for 104 yards.

Troy: 50%, 131 yards
Huntley: 89%, 98 yards

I blamed WR's all last year. I'm not feeling the same blame after watching Huntley. This appears to be a Troy issue.

Whit said that Huntley was the better QB in fall; accuracy, yards, big plays, small plays, etc.

It's what cost Troy the job. If he doesn't improve quickly, I'd be more than open to allowing Bateman to play as well.

Utah
09-25-2017, 12:43 PM
We can win 7-8 games with either QB.

If we want to do more, we need Troy to play a lot better. A lot better.

Applejack
09-25-2017, 12:47 PM
I don't disagree with anything you are saying. But, Carrington hasn't ever had drop issues. None of our WR's had them with Huntley.

I don't know if it's an accuracy issue, a velocity issue or what, but we do know it's a Troy issue.

54%, 377 yards
78%, 225 yards

I blamed WR's all last year. I'm not feeling the same blame after watching Huntley. This appears to be a Troy issue.

Whit said that Huntley was the better QB in fall; accuracy, yards, big plays, small plays, etc.

It's what cost Troy the job. If he doesn't improve quickly, I'd be more than open to allowing Bateman to play as well.

LOL. Utah, this is your weirdest argument ever (and I'm remembering last year's "best LBs in the Pac 12" declaration). Carrington had two drops that I remember in the game; and Fakailoatonga had one the play after Siosai's td was called back that would have gone for a TD itself. I haven't heard anyone blame the qb for those catchable drops; until now.

concerned
09-25-2017, 12:56 PM
LOL. Utah, this is your weirdest argument ever (and I'm remembering last year's "best LBs in the Pac 12" declaration). Carrington had two drops that I remember in the game; and Fakailoatonga had one the play after Siosai's td was called back that would have gone for a TD itself. I haven't heard anyone blame the qb for those catchable drops; until now.

And Fakailoatonga had that drop right after he had the offside that moved us from first and goal from the 3 to first and goal from the 8. He singlehandedly cost us that touchdown.

All the identified drops were either the receivers fault or good d by the db. You cant blame any of them on the qb.

sancho
09-25-2017, 12:59 PM

54%, 377 yards
78%, 225 yards

I think you have two arguments here:

1) Williams is less accurate that Huntley, as evidenced by completion percentage. I agree with you, even though the sample size is too small.

2) There is something different about Williams' good throws that makes them harder to catch than Huntley's good throws. This is the one doesn't make sense.

concerned
09-25-2017, 01:04 PM
I think you have two arguments here:

1) Williams is less accurate that Huntley, as evidenced by completion percentage. I agree with you, even though the sample size is too small.

2) There is something different about Williams' good throws that makes them harder to catch than Huntley's good throws. This is the one doesn't make sense.

By definition, a drop happens on an accurate throw; if the throw is inaccurate, it is not a drop. So to me, that argu doesn't fly either.

Diehard Ute
09-25-2017, 01:10 PM
By definition, a drop happens on an accurate throw; if the throw is inaccurate, it is not a drop. So to me, that argu doesn't fly either.

Exactly right.

If anything there should be a ”dropped pass” stat next to a QB’s completion percentage. The QB gets dinged regardless of the reason for the incomplete pass.

concerned
09-25-2017, 01:20 PM
Exactly right.

If anything there should be a ”dropped pass” stat next to a QB’s completion percentage. The QB gets dinged regardless of the reason for the incomplete pass.

the football equivalent of the passed ball/wild pitch dichotomy

U-Ute
09-25-2017, 02:06 PM

The biggest difference this year, to me, has been the completion %.

Williams was 50% last year, and Huntley has been hovering over 70% so far this season.

Even against Arizona, T. Williams was at 50% while Huntley was at 70%.

chrisrenrut
09-25-2017, 02:14 PM

There are varying degrees of accurate throws. Some hit the receiver in stride, other's he has to stop or slow for. Some are above the head, to the side, in the chest, at the knees. Velocity also varies. So to a small degree, I can see some argument that maybe Huntley delivers the ball more frequently in a place or way where the receive has to do less adjusting to an accurate throw. But I don't know that we have a big enough sample size to make that determination this season yet.

Utah
09-25-2017, 02:28 PM
All I'm saying is that drops haven't been an issue until Troy came in the game.

Even vs Arizona, Huntley was just under 90% on comp. Troy was 50%.

This seems to be a Troy issue. Accuracy, timing, wrong reads...whatever.

But it's a problem when Troy is in and not Huntley.

sancho
09-25-2017, 03:11 PM
All I'm saying is that drops haven't been an issue until Troy came in the game.

Even vs Arizona, Huntley was just under 90% on comp. Troy was 50%.

This seems to be a Troy issue. Accuracy, timing, wrong reads...whatever.

But it's a problem when Troy is in and not Huntley.

We are talking about, what, 2 drops? Not even close to enough data to draw a conclusion. Not enough to even form a hypothesis.

With completion percentage, at least we are talking about 100+ throws.

We all agree that Huntley has been the better QB. Let's agree using a correct argument, though.

NorthwestUteFan
09-25-2017, 06:14 PM
Troy also seems to throw the ball away rather than tuck it and try to run it or take a sack. Huntley is better able to run, but also takes more sacks.

Ma'ake
09-25-2017, 07:24 PM
Troy also seems to throw the ball away rather than tuck it and try to run it or take a sack. Huntley is better able to run, but also takes more sacks.

Yes, this is a weird combination - better runner, quicker to take off, but more sacks. I would attribute this to defenses adjusting and Arizona (at least) better containing the pocket and having backside pursuit TH didn't think was that fast, or wasn't aware of.

Utah - here's an example of how stats can be deceiving. Who's a better runner, Huntley or Moss? My eyes tell me TH is much more dynamic, but Moss, with just 2 more carries, averages 4.7 ypc, vs 3.8 for TH. They have enough carries for the stats to mean something. But I would say the stats are off, on this comparison. Again, apples and oranges. (For that matter, Demari Simpkins is the best passer, with a QB rating of 217 and a completion percentage of 100.)

Moral of the story - don't get sucked into the stats. The biggest stat is the scoreboard.

The road gets quite a bit more difficult: Just as Arizona has been a thorn in our side, we've been the irritant to Stanford. That game won't be easy.

Just find a way to win.

Utah
09-25-2017, 09:43 PM
I do agree that winning is all that matters. If you win every game by 1 point, you are a national champion at the end of the year.

I will have time to rewatch the game this weekend. I'm curious to see what it looks like the second, less emotional time around.

As far as sacks go, I think Huntley has taken off to run a couple of times when the pocket was good and he was tackled for a loss = sack. I wonder how many sacks would go away if you took away the "attempted runs when he didn't need to run" sacks.

I'm not stuck on stats...but the stats show what we all saw last year: Troy is a mediocre passer who has a lot more drops than most other QB's.

All I'm saying is that it might be time to quit blaming the WR's for drops, when it seems to only be an issue for one QB.

Applejack
09-26-2017, 07:52 AM
All I'm saying is that it might be time to quit blaming the WR's for drops, when it seems to only be an issue for one QB.

Are you a troll? Quit blaming the WRs for drops? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

This is the dumbest argument on the internet currently.

NorthwestUteFan
09-26-2017, 09:23 AM
Scheme and routes can affect drops. Receivers can catch nearly anything thrown to them if they have separation, but if everything is tightly contested it is much more difficult. The wide open RB who dropped the sure game-winning TD pass at Arizona was significant because that egregious of a drop is rare.

Utah
09-26-2017, 10:30 AM
Are you a troll? Quit blaming the WRs for drops? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

This is the dumbest argument on the internet currently.

Nice response.

What other Utah QB has had an issue with drops this year?

Utah
09-26-2017, 10:37 AM
Scheme and routes can affect drops. Receivers can catch nearly anything thrown to them if they have separation, but if everything is tightly contested it is much more difficult. The wide open RB who dropped the sure game-winning TD pass at Arizona was significant because that egregious of a drop is rare.

Exactly. This reminds me of when I said Mangum would struggle as a prostyle QB because everything is different. Footwork, arm angles, reads, where to look, etc.

And I was roundly mocked. Now, it's all people can talk about...how the prostyle offense has hurt Mangum.

I don't know what is different between Troy and Huntley, but something is different.

I don't know if Troy throws the ball early or late, if he makes the wrong reads, if he throws it too hard...but there is something different about him than Huntley that is leading to his terrible comp %.

That's all I'm saying.

But, like with Mangum going under center, I'm the troll.

sancho
09-26-2017, 10:39 AM
Nice response.

What other Utah QB has had an issue with drops this year?

None, no QB ever has had issues with drops. Drops are - by definition - an issue for WRs. What kickers have had issues with missed tackles? What safeties have had issues finding holes in the run game? What giraffes have had issues migrating to Antarctica for the summer?

sancho
09-26-2017, 10:42 AM
Now, it's all people can talk about...how the prostyle offense has hurt Mangum.

I haven't heard anyone say anything about Mangum for a long time.

I don't know what is different between Troy and Huntley, but something is different.

What's different is that Huntley is better. He's more accurate, and he can throw well on a roll out. His running adds a dimension that defenses have to respect, and that opens up the throw game for him. All this can be true without the voodoo of "our WRs can catch good balls from Huntley but not from Williams."

concerned
09-26-2017, 11:23 AM
I haven't heard anyone say anything about Mangum for a long time.

Speaking of which, here is a little tidbit I heard the other day. Mangum is from the SLC Mangum family, his great-grandfather was Ernest L. Wilkinson. Anyway, in the 4th quarter of the Utah game, Mangum went up Detmer and said, "we cant keep running this pro-style offense. We don't have the personnel for it." That was when they started operating out of the shotgun, and more hurry up, and moved the ball against us. FWIW.

Applejack
09-26-2017, 11:31 AM
Exactly. This reminds me of when I said Mangum would struggle as a prostyle QB because everything is different. Footwork, arm angles, reads, where to look, etc.

And I was roundly mocked. Now, it's all people can talk about...how the prostyle offense has hurt Mangum.

I don't know if Troy throws the ball early or late, if he makes the wrong reads, if he throws it too hard...but there is something different about him than Huntley that is leading to his terrible comp %.

That's all I'm saying.

But, like with Mangum going under center, I'm the troll.

:blink:

OK. You win. I had typed a longer response but in the end the point was the same: you are blaming the qb for dropped passes?

We'll just have to agree to disagree: I think WRs are responsible for catching the catches they should make; you disagree and blame the QB. I think we are done here.

Utah
09-26-2017, 09:07 PM

OK. You win. I had typed a longer response but in the end the point was the same: you are blaming the qb for dropped passes?

We'll just have to agree to disagree: I think WRs are responsible for catching the catches they should make; you disagree and blame the QB. I think we are done here.

There is nothing wrong with this response. We don't have to agree. It's what makes message boards fun.

It's when you resort to name calling that makes you an ass.

chrisrenrut
09-26-2017, 10:10 PM
It's when you resort to name calling that makes you an ass.

If this was intentionally ironic, well done.

tooblue
09-27-2017, 06:08 AM

If we are truly being honest it's completely Huntley's fault that Williams is even playing, because it is Huntley who hurt himself in the first place. Stoopid Huntley—what was he thinking.

Applejack
09-27-2017, 07:19 AM
If we are truly being honest it's completely Huntley's fault that Williams is even playing, because it is Huntley who hurt himself in the first place. Stoopid Huntley—what was he thinking.

Can someone translate? Is this Canadian humor, like Strange Brew? Tia

tooblue
09-27-2017, 08:16 AM
Can someone translate? Is this Canadian humor, like Strange Brew? Tia

You know, now that I think about it, maybe if Huntley had graduated high school earlier, he could have enrolled in Utah and won the QB job a year earlier, ensuring Williams never saw the field at all!

U-Ute
09-27-2017, 08:57 AM
You know, now that I think about it, maybe if Huntley had graduated high school earlier, he could have enrolled in Utah and won the QB job a year earlier, ensuring Williams never saw the field at all!

Come on man. It feels like you're not even trying anymore. You're better than this. Give us your A game trolling. This is why we keep you around because it is the level of effort we are used to.

tooblue
09-27-2017, 10:38 AM
Come on man. It feels like you're not even trying anymore. You're better than this. Give us your A game trolling. This is why we keep you around because it is the level of effort we are used to.

You're right. If only Huntley could have been Utah's QB for the past five seasons, the utes would've won, at the very least, three national championships. Utah: the new Alabama!

LA Ute
09-27-2017, 11:19 AM
You're right. If only Huntley could have been Utah's QB for the past five seasons, the utes would've won, at the very least, three national championships. Utah: the new Alabama!

I'm telling you, you're wrecking your brand. Please get back to TV deals.

tooblue
09-27-2017, 11:24 AM
I'm telling you, you're wrecking your brand. Please get back to TV deals.

We've already established that my brand is truth, no matter how unfriendly and coldly it might be delivered :D

Ma'ake
09-27-2017, 03:51 PM

I'm getting TB's satire here. (Nicely done!)

But purely from a humor standpoint, AJ wins this thread.