PDA

View Full Version : Utah vs. Oregon 2017

DrumNFeather
10-23-2017, 10:56 AM
Moving on...

Like Utah, Oregon has lost three in a row...most recently last weekend at UCLA. Oregon is 4-4, and 1-4 in league play. Their final four games are vs. Utah, @Washington, vs. Arizona, and vs. Oregon St. So from their view, this is certainly an opportunity to grab another win on their way to bowl eligibility.

Against UCLA, their current QB threw for 74 yards. I know there has been some talk about this being the week that Herbert targeted to get back, so that will be something to watch.

Obviously, the story line coming into this game will be Carrington returning to Oregon with something to prove. Secondary to that, we'll probably have some kind of QB "competition" heading into this week. Kyle said after the ASU game it was too early to discuss the starting QB for this week. That may have been some frustration speaking, but it will be interesting to see if Tyler can make enough strides in practice to not hamper the offense with his physical limitations.

We did open up as a slight favorite, so it could be an opportunity for a win...but boy do we have some work to do to get this done on the road.

sancho
10-23-2017, 11:15 AM
Moving on...

Like Utah, Oregon has lost three in a row...most recently last weekend at UCLA. Oregon is 4-4, and 1-4 in league play. Their final four games are vs. Utah, @Washington, vs. Arizona, and vs. Oregon St. So from their view, this is certainly an opportunity to grab another win on their way to bowl eligibility.

Against UCLA, their current QB threw for 74 yards. I know there has been some talk about this being the week that Herbert targeted to get back, so that will be something to watch.

Obviously, the story line coming into this game will be Carrington returning to Oregon with something to prove. Secondary to that, we'll probably have some kind of QB "competition" heading into this week. Kyle said after the ASU game it was too early to discuss the starting QB for this week. That may have been some frustration speaking, but it will be interesting to see if Tyler can make enough strides in practice to not hamper the offense with his physical limitations.

We did open up as a slight favorite, so it could be an opportunity for a win...but boy do we have some work to do to get this done on the road.

Yeah, big game for both teams in terms of bowl hopes.

Oregon is night and day different with Herbert.

What are the "physical limitations" for Huntley?

DrumNFeather
10-23-2017, 11:21 AM
Yeah, big game for both teams in terms of bowl hopes.

Oregon is night and day different with Herbert.

What are the "physical limitations" for Huntley?

Well, he can't run, or rather, they would prefer that he not run so as to not get banged up again, so that takes an element away from his game. On Saturday when ASU wasn't rushing anyone, he sat back in the pocket and just couldn't for the life of him make a decision. He'd make one read and throw it to the check down. When he threw it deep, it sailed high or wide, so he's either not 100% in that shoulder, or that was just a lot of rust. So I think one could argue that he's got some limitations on the deep ball accuracy due to the shoulder.

He also looked like his confidence was totally shot. I hope he can get that back.

sancho
10-23-2017, 12:05 PM
When he threw it deep, it sailed high or wide, so he's either not 100% in that shoulder, or that was just a lot of rust. So I think one could argue that he's got some limitations on the deep ball accuracy due to the shoulder.

He was deadly accurate on 0-15 yard throws at the start of the season. I think that accuracy was there Sat for the most part. I don't remember great accuracy downfield even before the shoulder thing.

I'm sure the shoulder is a factor, but I think part of it is just his downfield accuracy in general.

LA Ute
10-28-2017, 11:07 AM
I just hope that Oregon's vastly superior talent doesn't suddenly gel in this game.

chrisrenrut
10-28-2017, 03:58 PM
What is up with our defense lately? We lok like JV against varsity out there.

Diehard Ute
10-28-2017, 04:00 PM
What is up with our defense lately? We lok like JV against varsity out there.

They look like they don’t watch film

I swear we have no clue when they’re suckering us to chase the QB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrisrenrut
10-28-2017, 04:05 PM
Offensive line not looking great either.

i hate this. It doesn't feel like we can do anything good right now.

concerned
10-28-2017, 04:15 PM
Offensive line not looking great either.

i hate this. It doesn't feel like we can do anything good right now.

O line really really horrible

chrisrenrut
10-28-2017, 04:17 PM
I hate to be a Debbie-downer, but our "heavy package" is likely averaging negative yardage this year. How does it make sense to pitch the ball backwards 5 yards when there ate 18 bodies in the box?

Diehard Ute
10-28-2017, 04:18 PM
I hate to be a Debbie-downer, but our "heavy package" is likely averaging negative yardage this year. How does it make sense to pict have the ball backwards 5 yards when there ate 18 bodies in the box?

I don’t get that package at all.

Our whole offense was supposed to be built around the same personnel being used to not tip our hand, yet we constantly tip our hand by changing personnel.

LA Ute
10-28-2017, 04:21 PM
I’m starting to become resigned to to the reality that we just aren’t very good this year. We all hoped we would exceed expectations, but we might not even meet them.

LA Ute
10-28-2017, 05:14 PM
Is anybody else thinking that Troy Taylor might eventually be a good 0C, but still needs experience? The last two or three games he has seemed a bit outmatched by the DC on the other team. All those guys are experienced.

concerned
10-28-2017, 05:22 PM
Is anybody else thinking that Troy Taylor might eventually be a good 0C, but still needs experience? The last two or three games he has seemed a bit outmatched by the DC on the other team. All those guys are experienced.
I may be wrong, but i think it is more talent than scheme. Our o line is horrible. On the Carrington fumble, Simpkins got run over on his block. Nucua dropped a td. We suck basically. Everybody beats us up..

chrisrenrut
10-28-2017, 05:42 PM
The law of averages caught up with us in the red zone. We were bound to score a touchdown eventually, whether by luck or design.

LA Ute
10-28-2017, 05:54 PM
I may be wrong, but i think it is more talent than scheme. Our o line is horrible. On the Carrington fumble, Simpkins got run over on his block. Nucua dropped a td. We suck basically. Everybody beats us up..

Also, I think, they play like head cases. With the exception of the offense of line, they’re better than they’re playing.

LA Ute
10-28-2017, 06:11 PM
This is a very, very frustrating Utah team to watch.

USS Utah
10-28-2017, 06:29 PM
All things considered, I am not surprised by the offensive struggles, but I am flabbergasted at the defensive struggles.

USS Utah
10-28-2017, 06:44 PM
Despite that nice scoring drive, I may need to change my photo to a Brewster Buffalo because of the defense.

U-Ute
10-28-2017, 07:10 PM
Ouch.

sancho
10-28-2017, 07:18 PM
O line really really horrible

Both lines.

Receivers really struggling to block.

concerned
10-28-2017, 07:30 PM
Both lines.

Receivers really struggling to block.

Yes and yes

LA Ute
10-28-2017, 08:37 PM
I read on Facebook that Huntley was really sounding off in the post-game presser and they cut the mic. Anyone hear what he said?

concerned
10-28-2017, 08:50 PM
I read on Facebook that Huntley was really sounding off in the post-game presser and they cut the mic. Anyone hear what he said?

Patrick Kinahan‏ @PKKinahan (https://twitter.com/PKKinahan) 46m46 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/PKKinahan/status/924456680288526336)More

Ok, the exact quote is: "Four games straight we lost. That's (bleeping) embarrassing. Excuse my language." And with that, he was excused

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/670860091659161600/RbPOUiQu_bigger.jpgPatrick Kinahan‏ @PKKinahan (https://twitter.com/PKKinahan) 1h1 hour ago (https://twitter.com/PKKinahan/status/924448398450745344)More

Tyler Huntley in the postgame press conference: “It’s fu$@(!? embarrassing. Excuse my language.” Utah official immediately ended interview

LA Ute
10-28-2017, 09:14 PM
I’m kinda glad he’s angry.

sancho
10-28-2017, 09:22 PM
I love football, but it could be better:

1) There's no reason why a WR stepping out of bounds and then touching the ball should be a penalty. It's enough for it to be incomplete.
2) Ineligible downfield needs work as a rule.
3) Targeting needs to be changed to allow for judgment. The sport is not getting better from the targeting rules.

Also, this is our worst and softest defense in the Pac-12.

There were a dozen examples today of "game of inches." So many big moments hinged on the smallest of things. But, even with that, Oregon rushed for 350 yards. Nothing flukey there.

UTEopia
10-28-2017, 09:33 PM

I don't know and I don't know if we will ever see it at Utah. The reason this offense has no identity is because the identity is created by the HC and Whit has never been able to make up his mind what he wants the offense to be. We have been pro-style (Andy and Chow), we have been a hybrid with a heavy emphasis on power run with most everyone else and now we are a throw first, run second with Taylor. We will never see a consistent offense at Utah unless Whit makes a commitment to an offensive identity.

The bigger problem, IMO, is the inability to stop the run.

LA Ute
10-28-2017, 10:48 PM
I don't know and I don't know if we will ever see it at Utah. The reason this offense has no identity is because the identity is created by the HC and Whit has never been able to make up his mind what he wants the offense to be. We have been pro-style (Andy and Chow), we have been a hybrid with a heavy emphasis on power run with most everyone else and now we are a throw first, run second with Taylor. We will never see a consistent offense at Utah unless Whit makes a commitment to an offensive identity.

Several members of our community here consider these to be pretty heretical statements.

NorthwestUteFan
10-28-2017, 10:59 PM
Several members of our community here consider these to be pretty heretical statements.All of the other Utah fan communities are unbearable right now. Those of us with heavily-callused nether regions know better, but I think we are on the precipice of witnessing a massive loss of bandwagoners.

When did Utah fans become such whiny little bitches?

LA Ute
10-28-2017, 11:12 PM
All of the other Utah fan communities are unbearable right now. Those of us with heavily-callused nether regions know better, but I think we are on the precipice of witnessing a massive loss of bandwagoners.

When did Utah fans become such whiny little bitches?

My guess is that most of them are a bit younger, kind of like the post-2004 Red Sox fans who made it unpleasant for those of us who have been long-time Boston fans.

I think Kyle‘s system and approach, as frustrating as they can be, have enabled Utah to overachieve in the PAC-12. I think that approach also gives us a low ceiling. The debate that Seattle Ute and I have all the time is about whether that low ceiling is structural and immovable. (In other words, “This is as good as it gets, because we are Utah and we have inherent limitations, and we are lucky to have Whit and his approach because we will never do any better.“)

I don’t think the ceiling is immovable, but I have no illusions about how hard it might be, and how long it might take, to raise it. I also recognize it I may be wrong, and perhaps I’m simply an optimist.

sancho
10-28-2017, 11:33 PM
My guess is that most of them are a bit younger,

I think there is also a twitter effect than causes fans of all teams to overreact and whine.

NorthwestUteFan
10-29-2017, 08:19 AM
I agree on the Twitter and Facebook effect. It is just silly, emotional overreacting. Ironically, Reddit is surprisingly civil and measured.

But I don't like the sense of entitlement that many Ute fans bring to the conversation. I don't mind complaining about our weaknesses. I just greatly dislike when that complaining includes statements about how 'awful' our opponent was, how we 'deserved' to win, how we 'couldn't beat the worst run defense in the league', etc. Every other team in our league is competing at a high level. Every other team is balancing their talent, motivation, and execution and can improve or retreat week to week. We can accept that this is a down year for us without tearing down our opponents in the process.

Our decades-long incestuous relationship with byu has caused their worst traits to transfer to us, and it really makes us all look petty and inhospitable to other PAC-12 fanbases. I would like to think we are better than that.

LA Ute
10-29-2017, 08:40 AM
I agree on the Twitter and Facebook effect. It is just silly, emotional overreacting. Ironically, Reddit is surprisingly civil and measured.

But I don't like the sense of entitlement that many Ute fans bring to the conversation. I don't mind complaining about our weaknesses. I just greatly dislike when that complaining includes statements about how 'awful' our opponent was, how we 'deserved' to win, how we 'couldn't beat the worst run defense in the league', etc. Every other team in our league is competing at a high level. Every other team is balancing their talent, motivation, and execution and can improve or retreat week to week. We can accept that this is a down year for us without tearing down our opponents in the process.

Our decades-long incestuous relationship with byu has caused their worst traits to transfer to us, and it really makes us all look petty and inhospitable to other PAC-12 fanbases. I would like to think we are better than that.

Agreed. The games we have lost, we lost because we were outplayed, plain and simple. It is the job of our players and coaches to remedy that.

sancho
10-29-2017, 08:42 AM

I'm not certain our behavior differs much from that of other fan bases. I could be wrong. I don't see ASU/USC/Wazzu/etc twitter.

UTEopia
10-29-2017, 08:50 AM
Several members of our community here consider these to be pretty heretical statements.

I am certainly not calling for Whit to be fired. It was obvious the past few years that in order to take the biggest step from a competitive, hard-nosed, physical team, to a favorite to win the South, the pass game had to be more effective. It was obvious to everyone. ARod and I talked about it a lot. He believed, and I agreed, that in addition to the limitations of Travis Wilson, which he acknowledged and tried to coach around because we did not have anyone else, we did not have the playmakers at WR to be significantly better than we were. Other than the addition of Carrington, I think it is fair to say that is still the case. Wilson and Nacua may turn into those types of playmakers and the freshmen we have not seen may as well, but I think it is clear that Singleton will always be the No. 2 or 3 receiver.

I guess the point of all of this is that instead of building on what we had, a power run game and an offensive identity, Whit blew it all up to start over with the total opposite offensive style. Not only a totally different offensive style, but an offensive style headed by a guy with one year coaching experience in the last 15 years at an FBS school. I know my friendship with ARod makes me biased, but I was skeptical at the hire and mad at the firings (yes, Ericksen was fired - I know some don't believe it, but he was) from the get-go. I became hopeful that it would work, not because I believed it would work immediately, but because I am a Ute fan. I'm still skeptical and hopeful.

Whit has made his offensive bed. It is critical that he not be talked into going into a new direction. I'm guessing his brother at Timpview doesn't get hired as a coach at Utah and doesn't have a guy coaching up his son at the high school level that is an offensive wizard and then talks KW into firing the current guy and replacing him with his guy.

I had us pegged for a 7-5 or 8-4 season with definite losses to Stanford, USC and Washington and probable losses to Oregon and Washington St. I thought we had an outside chance at 9-3 and an outside chance at 6-6. I'm hoping for 6-6.

sancho
10-29-2017, 08:58 AM
Other than the addition of Carrington, I think it is fair to say that is still the case.

I think there are three players on offense who are playing well - Carrington, Moss, and Huntley. I normally advocate spreading the ball around a lot, but this season I say give Carrington 15 targets and Moss 25 carries. Give Huntley at least 10 designed carries as well. Get Carrington to 200 yards. Throw it to a TE once in the 3rd quarter to catch the bad guys by surprise, and then go back to Carrington for the next five targets. Feed him all game long.

LA Ute
10-29-2017, 09:11 AM
I am certainly not calling for Whit to be fired. It was obvious the past few years that in order to take the biggest step from a competitive, hard-nosed, physical team, to a favorite to win the South, the pass game had to be more effective. It was obvious to everyone. ARod and I talked about it a lot. He believed, and I agreed, that in addition to the limitations of Travis Wilson, which he acknowledged and tried to coach around because we did not have anyone else, we did not have the playmakers at WR to be significantly better than we were. Other than the addition of Carrington, I think it is fair to say that is still the case. Wilson and Nacua may turn into those types of playmakers and the freshmen we have not seen may as well, but I think it is clear that Singleton will always be the No. 2 or 3 receiver.

I guess the point of all of this is that instead of building on what we had, a power run game and an offensive identity, Whit blew it all up to start over with the total opposite offensive style. Not only a totally different offensive style, but an offensive style headed by a guy with one year coaching experience in the last 15 years at an FBS school. I know my friendship with ARod makes me biased, but I was skeptical at the hire and mad at the firings (yes, Ericksen was fired - I know some don't believe it, but he was) from the get-go. I became hopeful that it would work, not because I believed it would work immediately, but because I am a Ute fan. I'm still skeptical and hopeful.

Whit has made his offensive bed. It is critical that he not be talked into going into a new direction. I'm guessing his brother at Timpview doesn't get hired as a coach at Utah and doesn't have a guy coaching up his son at the high school level that is an offensive wizard and then talks KW into firing the current guy and replacing him with his guy.

I had us pegged for a 7-5 or 8-4 season with definite losses to Stanford, USC and Washington and probable losses to Oregon and Washington St. I thought we had an outside chance at 9-3 and an outside chance at 6-6. I'm hoping for 6-6.

It seems to me that there is every reason to believe that the defensive problems will be fixed. That’s based on history and Whitt‘s long-term performance in that area, which is superb. On the other hand, there is no reason to believe the offensive problems will be solved. There’s reason to hope; we fans always hope. But there is no basis for believing the offense will change much for the better. History just doesn’t support that. I hope Whitt stays until he retires, and I hope that we can get our offensive identity to the point where it’s in the middle of the conference. We could do pretty well with that combination. But I think that’s the best Utah is ever going to do with him as head coach.

concerned
10-29-2017, 09:28 AM
It seems to me that there is every reason to believe that the defensive problems will be fixed. That’s based on history and Whitt‘s long-term performance in that area, which is superb. On the other hand, there is no reason to believe the offensive problems will be solved. There’s reason to hope; we fans always hope. But there is no basis for believing the offense will change much for the better. History just doesn’t support that. I hope Whitt stays until he retires, and I hope that we can get our offensive identity to the point where it’s in the middle of the conference. We could do pretty well with that combination. But I think that’s the best Utah is ever going to do with him as head coach.

Offense wont improve until the 0 line does (and the WR's, as Utopia says). We dont have an identity because we cant run, especially in the red zone. We tried yesterday, and the o line failed miserably; the o line gets no push, but gets pushed back. Doesnt help that Moss had to come out that one red zone series, and we really dont have a back like Booker, White, Williams, or even Shyne. We have lost our identity as a power run team because we don't have the personnel to do that, either.

I'm resigned to writing this off as a rebuilding year. Next year and the year after will be the test; I hope we haul in some of those WR recruits who visited. The o line and the d line need to grow up fast, however.

LA Ute
10-29-2017, 10:12 AM
Offense wont improve until the 0 line does (and the WR's, as Utopia says). We dont have an identity because we cant run, especially in the red zone. We tried yesterday, and the o line failed miserably; the o line gets no push, but gets pushed back. Doesnt help that Moss had to come out that one red zone series, and we really dont have a back like Booker, White, Williams, or even Shyne. We have lost our identity as a power run team because we don't have the personnel to do that, either.

I'm resigned to writing this off as a rebuilding year. Next year and the year after will be the test; I hope we haul in some of those WR recruits who visited. The o line and the d line need to grow up fast, however.

The key word in your post is “hope.”

USS Utah
10-29-2017, 12:18 PM
Or, its just a rebuilding year because of a new O line and a new offense, not to mention a true soph QB. Honestly, I'm more concerned about the defense, which was supposed to be reloading, not rebuilding. Plus, I'm an optimist.

chrisrenrut
10-29-2017, 12:33 PM
Huntley had me a bit optimistic yesterday. Still a freshman, coming off an injury, but he had a decent game, and didn't make any big mistakes. He also showed some of that elusiveness and ability to throw on the run that has me excited for his future. Maybe even later this year, if the players can get some continuity and start playing on the same page. There were a few times where he and the receiver were not on the same page.

NorthwestUteFan
10-29-2017, 01:59 PM
I'm not certain our behavior differs much from that of other fan bases. I could be wrong. I don't see ASU/USC/Wazzu/etc twitter.I'm sure you are correct. Online fan interactions brings out the worst from the most fanatical fans.

UTEopia
10-29-2017, 02:10 PM
Huntley had me a bit optimistic yesterday. Still a freshman, coming off an injury, but he had a decent game, and didn't make any big mistakes. He also showed some of that elusiveness and ability to throw on the run that has me excited for his future. Maybe even later this year, if the players can get some continuity and start playing on the same page. There were a few times where he and the receiver were not on the same page.

I also liked the way Huntley played yesterday.

NorthwestUteFan
10-29-2017, 02:29 PM
Huntley had me a bit optimistic yesterday. Still a freshman, coming off an injury, but he had a decent game, and didn't make any big mistakes. He also showed some of that elusiveness and ability to throw on the run that has me excited for his future. Maybe even later this year, if the players can get some continuity and start playing on the same page. There were a few times where he and the receiver were not on the same page.I still love his escapability under pressure, and his ability to throw long darts on the run. Now if he can get more accurate with this throws we will be in business (next year, probably).

In the woulda/coulda/shoulda file, we need to recognize how close we still are to success on Oh-fense. If Carrington drags his toe on that long pass play, if Huntley hits the TEs on the seam routes, if we had that impact RB like the last number of years to punch it in at the goal line (prob due as much to Isaac Asiata), and a couple of more inches-away decision makers, then things look much brighter than they currently do.

Also, I sincerely hope UCLA doesn't suddenly figure out how to play football next week. That seems to be a recurring theme among our opponents this year...

LA Ute
10-29-2017, 03:28 PM
I still love his escapability under pressure, and his ability to throw long darts on the run. Now if he can get more accurate with this throws we will be in business (next year, probably).

I think even this year he gives us the best chance to win.

Also, I sincerely hope UCLA doesn’t suddenly figure out how to play football next week. That seems to be a recurring theme among our opponents this year...

LOL, so true.

justaute
10-29-2017, 05:33 PM
All...it was my fault. Utah lost the last two games because I missed both games -- was traveling. :)

LA Ute
10-29-2017, 06:33 PM
All...it was my fault. Utah lost the last two games because I missed both games -- was traveling. :)

I’m so embarrassed for you.

LA Ute
10-29-2017, 07:00 PM
A friend who knows football better than I do thinks Taylor’s run-pass option is still confusing to the OL, and that makes them tentative. In his offense they have to hold their blocks longer and not go downfield. They aren’t handling this well, and we are seeing the impact on the field. Makes sense but seems like something coaching could fix.

chrisrenrut
10-29-2017, 08:22 PM
A friend who knows football better than I do thinks Taylor’s run-pass option is still confusing to the OL, and that makes them tentative. I’m his offense they have to hold their blocks longer and not go downfield. They aren’t handling this well, and we are seeing the impact on the field. Makes sense but seems like something coaching could fix.

I'm not savvy enough to know for sure. We didn't have any Ineligle Men Downfield penalties at Oregon, so that is some progress.

I don't see how OL confusion can be blamed for our miserable performance in short distance running packages. Everyone knows what is coming in those situations. Well, we did pass to Ippolito the one time and it worked, except for the targeting call..

UTEopia
10-29-2017, 08:40 PM
A friend who knows football better than I do thinks Taylor’s run-pass option is still confusing to the OL, and that makes them tentative. I’m his offense they have to hold their blocks longer and not go downfield. They aren’t handling this well, and we are seeing the impact on the field. Makes sense but seems like something coaching could fix.

The run pass option is difficult to run. It is designed for the OL to block run and it is incumbent on the QB to make a quick decision as to run or pass so that the OL does not get downfield. If the OL is trying to guess whether it is run or pass and not being aggressive in their run blocking, that is a QB decision making issue, not an OL issue.

Diehard Ute
10-29-2017, 10:05 PM
The run pass option is difficult to run. It is designed for the OL to block run and it is incumbent on the QB to make a quick decision as to run or pass so that the OL does not get downfield. If the OL is trying to guess whether it is run or pass and not being aggressive in their run blocking, that is a QB decision making issue, not an OL issue.

Seems to me our OL is NEVER aggressive in their run blocking this year.

If that’s the case, it’s likely difficult to run a RPO. If the run is rarely blocked right, can’t the defense basically just blow up every play and not have to worry about the pass option? We can’t run, and if we go pass they’re destroying our DL anyway which leaves Huntley scrambling. This, to me, also would lead to Tyler putting up better numbers. He’s better ‘in trouble’.

All of that leads me to ask, if we have a line that can’t run block, does it pretty much sink us right now. We can’t run RPO, we probably can’t run what Taylor wants to run. We can’t run smash mouth, and because we can’t do all of these things we won’t be able to drop back because every defense is in pass rush mode every play.

UTEopia
10-29-2017, 10:12 PM
Seems to me our OL is NEVER aggressive in their run blocking this year.

If that’s the case, it’s likely difficult to run a RPO. If the run is rarely blocked right, can’t the defense basically just blow up every play and not have to worry about the pass option? We can’t run, and if we go pass they’re destroying our DL anyway which leaves Huntley scrambling. This, to me, also would lead to Tyler putting up better numbers. He’s better ‘in trouble’.

All of that leads me to ask, if we have a line that can’t run block, does it pretty much sink us right now. We can’t run RPO, we probably can’t run what Taylor wants to run. We can’t run smash mouth, and because we can’t do all of these things we won’t be able to drop back because every defense is in pass rush mode every play.

we ran pretty well against USC, but it wasn't RPO. It was more of the power run with very little QB run option. Our OL are road graders who block well for power run. This works well in my the open field when the defense cannot stack the box. It is difficult to do when you have more defenders than blockers at the point of attack. This is why red zone was difficult last year.

tooblue
10-30-2017, 06:52 AM

Holy cow are you kidding me? You are blaming BYU for your short comings? Grow the hell up and own your unwarranted arrogance and stupidity.

I am embarrassed for you.

LA Ute
10-30-2017, 12:53 PM
I am embarrassed for you.

This is a burden you should not have to bear. The easy solution is to spend your time in the warm, nurturing environment of CougarStadium. They like BYU over there. Kind of.

tooblue
10-30-2017, 03:30 PM
This is a burden you should not have to bear. The easy solution is to spend your time in the warm, nurturing environment of CougarStadium. They like BYU over there. Kind of.

Well, while I'm here let's square the logic: If BYU is to to blame for all that is bad, BYU can also be credited for all that is good ... All wins or good things the Utes have accomplished on the football field, only occurred because of the influence of BYU football. Isn't that how big brother, little brother dynamics work?

Old Standing ute
10-30-2017, 05:07 PM
I am surprised everyone is giving Scalley a pass. His D scheme yesterday & for most of this year was/is poor (at best).

He plays an OLB outside on the strong side & then an inside LB & then a safety. Rarely does he use 3 LBs. So Oregon ran to the weak side---at Anae who was getting worked by their LT. And when he got pushed inside or knocked off his feet there was no OLB to control the edge. It is too hard for a LB to run from the inside to try to catch a back --who then cuts back--happened to both Barton & Thompson & they fly right by the runner.

When you know you are facing a true freshman QB at Oregon---who did not complete a deep ball all day---load the BOX, like most teams do against the Utes & make him beat you with his arm.

Scalley is a great recruiter & position coach---long ways to go to be a good coordinator.

Another note---Lowell L is not a high draft pick like his brother---several plays he got pushed 5 yards out of the play. Mokofisi is the best DT.

UTEopia
10-30-2017, 05:19 PM
I am surprised everyone is giving Scalley a pass. His D scheme yesterday & for most of this year was/is poor (at best).

He plays an OLB outside on the strong side & then an inside LB & then a safety. Rarely does he use 3 LBs. So Oregon ran to the weak side---at Anae who was getting worked by their LT. And when he got pushed inside or knocked off his feet there was no OLB to control the edge. It is too hard for a LB to run from the inside to try to catch a back --who then cuts back--happened to both Barton & Thompson & they fly right by the runner.

When you know you are facing a true freshman QB at Oregon---who did not complete a deep ball all day---load the BOX, like most teams do against the Utes & make him beat you with his arm.

Scalley is a great recruiter & position coach---long ways to go to be a good coordinator.

Another note---Lowell L is not a high draft pick like his brother---several plays he got pushed 5 yards out of the play. Mokofisi is the best DT.

Anne not only got worked, he is continually going inside and not holding the edge. Most of Oregon's run plays were run with 4 WRs. It is tough to play 3 LBs when they have 4 WR's. Having said that, it didn't look as if any adjustments were made.

Old Standing ute
10-30-2017, 05:27 PM
Anne not only got worked, he is continually going inside and not holding the edge. Most of Oregon's run plays were run with 4 WRs. It is tough to play 3 LBs when they have 4 WR's. Having said that, it didn't look as if any adjustments were made.

They had 4 sometimes, but usually tight end, with QB & RB & 3 wideouts.

DE unless he is split out can not hold the edge---yet that is his plan all year.

And as you said---make an adjustment at half time.

Nice Marmot
10-30-2017, 07:23 PM

I agree with everything you said. It is clear the WRs have been the weak link on offense. I thought I was the only Ute fan who didn't blame the problems on offense on Roderick. He's a better OC than Taylor by a long shot. One of Whit's biggest mistake was letting Roderick go. A few tweaks and a lot more talent at WR was all Roderick needed.

LA Ute
10-31-2017, 04:09 AM
Well, while I'm here let's square the logic: If BYU is to to blame for all that is bad, BYU can also be credited for all that is good ... All wins or good things the Utes have accomplished on the football field, only occurred because of the influence of BYU football. Isn't that how big brother, little brother dynamics work?

BYU is not responsible for all that is good or bad. Humankind has moral agency, except on the BYU campus.

Brian
10-31-2017, 05:05 AM

Does Scalley even have 3 LBs that can play?

Irving Washington
10-31-2017, 08:31 AM
And we're they protecting Hansen from injury? It's Whitts defense, not Scally's.

LA Ute
10-31-2017, 09:37 AM
And we're they protecting Hansen from injury? It's Whitts defense, not Scally's.

Be careful not to question the infallibility of The Kyle.

Two Utes
10-31-2017, 11:32 AM

I agree. Why is he getting a pass? This is the worst defense we've had in years. Opposing running backs consistently break initial tackles and the pursuit of other defensive players is lacking. Those two issues are about effort and that is on coaching. Right now Scalley as Defensive coordinator is getting a big fat C from me.

LA Ute
10-31-2017, 12:46 PM
I agree. Why is he getting a pass? This is the worst defense we've had in years. Opposing running backs consistently break initial tackles and the pursuit of other defensive players is lacking. Those two issues are about effort and that is on coaching. Right now Scalley as Defensive coordinator is getting a big fat C from me.

It cannot be a surprise to anyone that Kyle likes to hire and promote "within the family." (This is not about whether Kyle should remain as HC; I think he should. He is who he is, however.)

sancho
10-31-2017, 01:07 PM
I agree. Why is he getting a pass?

He's getting a pass because of a strong track record to this point. You field a good defense for years, you've earned a little leeway during a tough season. If we struggle again next season, people will be calling for his job. It really doesn't take much for our fanbase to start calling for people's heads.

LA Ute
10-31-2017, 04:17 PM
He's getting a pass because of a strong track record to this point. You field a good defense for years, you've earned a little leeway during a tough season. If we struggle again next season, people will be calling for his job. It really doesn't take much for our fanbase to start calling for people's heads.

Isn’t this Scalley’s second year as DC?

I think I’m like most loyal Utah fans — I don’t want him fired, I just want a good defense. I also want the HC to make good hires. I don’t want him fired either.

Old Standing ute
10-31-2017, 04:37 PM
Isn’t this Scalley’s second year as DC?

I think I’m like most loyal Utah fans — I don’t want him fired, I just want a good defense. I also want the HC to make good hires. I don’t want him fired either.

It is only his second year so I don't want Scalley to go--he is too good at recruiting. He needs to consult with Pease or Whitt or someone as he needs to figure out what has worked in the past & run it.
Last year he wanted 5 on the DL---did not work; this year he loves only 2 LBs---not working. Chase is getting beat up because he is the 3rd LB---not working.

sancho
10-31-2017, 05:08 PM
He needs to consult with Pease or Whitt or someone as he needs to figure out what has worked in the past & run it.

I have to think that he consults with Whitt on the defense all the time. Do we think this is not the case?

Diehard Ute
10-31-2017, 05:43 PM
It is only his second year so I don't want Scalley to go--he is too good at recruiting. He needs to consult with Pease or Whitt or someone as he needs to figure out what has worked in the past & run it.
Last year he wanted 5 on the DL---did not work; this year he loves only 2 LBs---not working. Chase is getting beat up because he is the 3rd LB---not working.

Don’t know if it’s a love of 2LB or we just don’t have enough LB’s

We really only have 4 LB’s. For many games we’ve had 2-3.

We’re insanely thin at LB, why that hasn’t been addressed in recruiting is a question someone needs to be asking.

Applejack
10-31-2017, 06:04 PM
Don’t know if it’s a love of 2LB or we just don’t have enough LB’s

We really only have 4 LB’s. For many games we’ve had 2-3.

We’re insanely thin at LB, why that hasn’t been addressed in recruiting is a question someone needs to be asking.

I've been asking that exact thing for three years! Maybe I should be DC?

concerned
10-31-2017, 07:08 PM
I've been asking that exact thing for three years! Maybe I should be DC?

Can you recruit?

Applejack
10-31-2017, 08:13 PM
Can you recruit?

No. Is that pArt of the job?

UTEopia
11-01-2017, 08:05 AM
I have to think that he consults with Whitt on the defense all the time. Do we think this is not the case?

Of course he does. Whit routinely sits in on the defensive game planning meetings as does Pease when he is in town.

LA Ute
11-02-2017, 07:10 AM
Of course he does. Whit routinely sits in on the defensive game planning meetings as does Pease when he is in town.

Does KW ever sit in on the corresponding offensive meetings, as far as you know?