PDA

View Full Version : Up the wazzu... Utah vs Washington St Football Thread

Mormon Red Death
11-06-2017, 07:06 AM
Afternoon game mid 50s and cloudy weather... Let's do this.

sancho
11-06-2017, 07:25 AM
Afternoon game mid 50s and cloudy weather... Let's do this.

Any injury status updates?

I don't see WSU as unbeatable, but we need Sack Lake City to return somehow.

UTEopia
11-06-2017, 07:29 AM
Any injury status updates?

I don't see WSU as unbeatable, but we need Sack Lake City to return somehow.

I think there are two ways to defend WSU. Rush 3 and drop 8 and bring 6 and man press. You need to change these two up and keep them guessing. I just don't see us getting much pressure with a 4 man rush.

Applejack
11-06-2017, 07:59 AM
I think there are two ways to defend WSU. Rush 3 and drop 8 and bring 6 and man press. You need to change these two up and keep them guessing. I just don't see us getting much pressure with a 4 man rush.

I'm more worried about their defense. Washington State has always (since Leach) had a productive offense, but the difference this year is that they have a legit D. We will have to score some points on Saturday.

U-Ute
11-06-2017, 08:28 AM
After watching ASU and Oregon destroy us on the edges, I'm less than confident about our chances.

NorthwestUteFan
11-06-2017, 11:32 AM
WSU has incredible speed on Defense now. It is a real change for them. They shut down Stanford on all of the side to side plays, and seemed to tackle the QB/RB at the handoff point deep in the backfield on a shockingly high number of plays. Alex Grinch has turned their Defense into a legit power, and I think it is likely he will get a few HC offers after the season.

justaute
11-06-2017, 03:18 PM
Agree with all the comments about WSU's defense and our defense's challenges. Our d-line can't seem to put much pressure on the opposing offense, which is not good for our 1-on-1 secondary; if our front 7 can't put much pressure on the opposing offense, then with a decent QB, our secondary won't be able to hold-up. On offense, I'm hopeful our o-line can be just average.

NorthwestUteFan
11-06-2017, 04:05 PM
FWIW, nobody really gets much pressure on Falk. They are stellar at max protect pass protection, and the LG was a consensus All-American for a reason. (Curiously he was only a PAC-12 Honorable Mention). Falk often had 5-6 seconds or more to stand in the pocket against Stanford. We almost need to rush 3 and drop everyone else.

sancho
11-06-2017, 04:14 PM
FWIW, nobody really gets much pressure on Falk. They are stellar at max protect pass protection, and the LG was a consensus All-American for a reason. (Curiously he was only a PAC-12 Honorable Mention). Falk often had 5-6 seconds or more to stand in the pocket against Stanford. We almost need to rush 3 and drop everyone else.

Funny, for some reason, I was thinking WSU gave up more sacks than most teams. Usually, Leach's QBs take a huge beating over the course of the year. What are the sack numbers this season?

LA Ute
11-06-2017, 04:20 PM

It'll be interesting to see how Scalley deals with this.

sancho
11-06-2017, 04:26 PM
Yeah, so WSU gives up a ton of sacks:

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/468/p3

Part of this is just volume - they go back to pass more than anyone. But part of it is the scheme. Leach doesn't protect QBs - he uses them and then tosses them aside.

Anyway, whether or not WSU gives up sacks in general, I don't think they'll give them up to us. We just haven't shown that ability this year.

Applejack
11-07-2017, 08:12 AM
Couple of thoughts from the last game:

1. Anyone heard about the bevy of injuries? I saw someone on here say that Blair is done for the year. Carrington? Fitts? Hughes? OThers?
2. I love Kyle, but why does he leave the starters in so long? We have backup qbs, no? And no way Moss should be carrying the ball with 1:30 left in the game up by 73.
3. I don't know his status, but Casey Hughes has come out of no where to be a solid db. I think he is actually better in run support, but he has been solid thru the air as well. Our dbs are good and young. Guidry makes some mistakes now and then, but the kid has flames and is getting to know the position as a true frosh. Johnson has been great because you never hear about him. Has he been targeted this year? Add in the solid safeties and we mean business nest year in the defensive backfield. We'll only say goodbye to Boobie, who is not my favorite anyway.
4. On the other hand, our defensive line has been frankly a huge disappointemnt. Anae has been hurt but he gets little pressure on the qb. Fitts can't seem to stay on the field. Mokofisi and Lotulelei have been solid, but unspectacular. Leki Fotu has shown some promise. What happened to Max Tupai? The biggest recruit from a couple of years ago and I can't think of a play he has made all year. This is a problem when we play WSU.
5. Sloppy beginning to that game. Both teams looked tired. I'm not sure UCLA is any good, but a win in the pac 12 is a win (especially in a year when we miss Oregon State and Cal).

LA Ute
11-07-2017, 10:00 AM
Pease said on Riley’s show that the way to beat this WSU team is to keep their offense off the field. It’ll be interesting to see if our offense can chew up clock this Saturday.

concerned
11-07-2017, 10:36 AM
One thing I saw yesterday pointed out the Faulk has been a different qb on the road. Much lower completion percentage, much higher turnover margin (and not just ASU). Hope that continues.

U-Ute
11-07-2017, 10:40 AM

1. Anyone heard about the bevy of injuries? I saw someone on here say that Blair is done for the year. Carrington? Fitts? Hughes? OThers?

Kyle said Blair may not be back for spring.

No other season enders.

snafu
11-07-2017, 11:24 AM

2. I love Kyle, but why does he leave the starters in so long? We have backup qbs, no? And no way Moss should be carrying the ball with 1:30 left in the game up by 73.

I would imagine Whit has been asked about this very thing but I can't think of any rational explanation for leaving them in the game. I was cringing on every one of those meaningless plays at the end there.

NorthwestUteFan
11-07-2017, 06:59 PM
Johnson has been great because you never hear about him. Has he been targeted this year? Add in the solid safeties and we mean business nest year in the defensive backfield.

Opposing players have only completed about four catches against Johnson this year, one of which was the huge one-handed grab by the UCLA WR.

He completely shuts down his side of the field.

U-Ute
11-08-2017, 10:25 AM
Speaking about our secondary next year...

Josh Nurse starting for Blair this weekend.

Also, McCormick was on the coach's show yesterday and had this exchange with Reilly:

Riley: "Who would win a race between you, Boobie, Fulks, and Guidry?"
Troy: "I can beat Boobie and Kyle".
Riley: "What about Javelin?"
Troy: "No comment."

Troy went on to say that he and Fulks were in the same region in Texas track, and they raced each other. Troy won with a 10.5 to Fulks's 10.8

My brother did some digging around on the internet and uncovered this about Guidry: he won the Texas 2015 state 100m with a 10.4, then moved to California and ran set the California state record in 2016 with a 10.13. 8th place in the last Olympic 100m final was taken with a 10.06.

U-Ute
11-08-2017, 11:21 AM
Looks like we're out to exorcise the Demons of the White Pants.

concerned
11-08-2017, 02:02 PM
Brian Swinney‏ @thebrianswinney (https://twitter.com/thebrianswinney) 5h5 hours ago (https://twitter.com/thebrianswinney/status/928291576895348736)More

Washington State has given up 7 passing TDs this year and intercepted 10 passes. They also have 3rd best rush D in conference. It's a very good defense

UBlender
11-08-2017, 02:53 PM
Speaking about our secondary next year...

Josh Nurse starting for Blair this weekend.

Also, McCormick was on the coach's show yesterday and had this exchange with Reilly:

Riley: "Who would win a race between you, Boobie, Fulks, and Guidry?"
Troy: "I can beat Boobie and Kyle".
Riley: "What about Javelin?"
Troy: "No comment."

Troy went on to say that he and Fulks were in the same region in Texas track, and they raced each other. Troy won with a 10.5 to Fulks's 10.8

My brother did some digging around on the internet and uncovered this about Guidry: he won the Texas 2015 state 100m with a 10.4, then moved to California and ran set the California state record in 2016 with a 10.13. 8th place in the last Olympic 100m final was taken with a 10.06.

Where are you hearing about Josh Nurse starting? According to the depth chart both Ballard and Afia would be in line to replace Blair and as far as I know both of them are available.

Diehard Ute
11-08-2017, 02:55 PM
Where are you hearing about Josh Nurse starting? According to the depth chart both Ballard and Afia would be in line to replace Blair and as far as I know both of them are available.

Yeah I was just about to post the same thing.

Per Whitt Monday Afia is backing up both spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Applejack
11-08-2017, 04:05 PM
Isn't Josh nurse the jc walkon that never played a down at JC and switched from receiver in the spring? If he's our starting safety against wsu, no good.

U-Ute
11-08-2017, 06:02 PM

My brother texted it to me. I figured he heard it on the coach's show. Maybe not.

sancho
11-09-2017, 09:40 AM
Is it good or bad when Wilner picks Utah?

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/11/09/picks-of-the-week-stanford-beats-washington-ucla-and-utah-protect-their-home-turf-usc-fends-off-colorado/

Washington State (minus-1) at Utah: The Utes showed life on offense last week, but that must be partially dismissed because of the opponent (UCLA). The Cougars’ performance on the road of late cannot be dismissed, however: Blowouts losses at Cal and Arizona in which Luke Falk wasn’t Luke Falk and the defense wasn’t up to the task. Khalil Tate’s success in the read-option will be a blueprint for Tyler Huntley. The Utes start fast and hang on. Pick: Utah.

Applejack
11-09-2017, 10:47 AM
Is it good or bad when Wilner picks Utah?

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/11/09/picks-of-the-week-stanford-beats-washington-ucla-and-utah-protect-their-home-turf-usc-fends-off-colorado/

Bad

Nice Marmot
11-09-2017, 10:53 AM
What happened to Max Tupai?

I've wondered the same thing. So far the other two D-linemen we signed that year have shown a lot more promise while not being nearly as heavily recruited as Tupai was. I keep looking for him but aside from special teams I don't think he sees the field.

UTEopia
11-10-2017, 08:09 AM
Isn't Josh nurse the jc walkon that never played a down at JC and switched from receiver in the spring? If he's our starting safety against wsu, no good.

He isn't a walk-on. He was a late pickup who sat out at Blinn with an injury. He is a player. Much better pickup than either of the two jucos who did not qualify.

Hot Lunch
11-10-2017, 08:42 AM
Bad

I actually think it is good. Of all the media personas out there, Wilner IMO has the best beat of the entire Pac-12.

Hot Lunch
11-10-2017, 08:46 AM
I've wondered the same thing. So far the other two D-linemen we signed that year have shown a lot more promise while not being nearly as heavily recruited as Tupai was. I keep looking for him but aside from special teams I don't think he sees the field.

My opinion is that Max lacks the arm length to be an impact D End in the Pac-12. If you don't have the arm-length, you better have the speed like Pita to beat you on the edge. Max doesn't have that. I wouldn't be surprised to see Max put on weight on and move inside next year.

Applejack
11-10-2017, 08:57 AM
He isn't a walk-on. He was a late pickup who sat out at Blinn with an injury. He is a player. Much better pickup than either of the two jucos who did not qualify.

I said he was a walk-on at JC (correct me if I am wrong) that never played a snap and that we offered a scholarship to as a WR. No reason Nurse can't be all world, but that's a pretty crazy story if it happens.

LA Ute
11-10-2017, 09:52 AM
I think we will be in a much better position to win if we don’t let WSU jump out an early lead. We need to strike first. Lately we have shown some ability to play catch-up, but I don’t like our chances against WSU’s offense in that position.

Diehard Ute
11-10-2017, 03:15 PM
Lots of Veterans Day stuff tomorrow.

I am *slightly* bummed though. They’ve been advertising the Flyover for a couple months, which had me hopeful we’d get F-35’s. We’re getting helicopters. Just not quite the same.

Diehard Ute
11-11-2017, 03:16 PM
No Darren Carrington and no Chase Hansen.

UBlender
11-11-2017, 03:18 PM
No Darren Carrington and no Chase Hansen.

Gonna take a real impressive effort to pull this one out without those guys.

Diehard Ute
11-11-2017, 03:41 PM
Gonna take a real impressive effort to pull this one out without those guys.

No Tautoeli either

sancho
11-11-2017, 05:07 PM
Give me the replay of defensive holding on our LB on a run up the middle. What was that?

sancho
11-11-2017, 05:25 PM
Really hurt to come up empty on that last drive of the half.

Brian
11-11-2017, 05:26 PM
And I'm really tired of that reverse that keeps getting called.

hostile
11-11-2017, 05:35 PM
3 turnovers on our side of the 50 and only down 10. (I’m looking for positives)

Diehard Ute
11-11-2017, 06:02 PM
Defense without Fitts, Hansen, Tautoeli, Hughes, Blackmon and Blair now.

sancho
11-11-2017, 06:42 PM
3 turnovers on our side of the 50 and only down 10. (I’m looking for positives)

This was our game. Very literally gave it away.

sancho
11-11-2017, 06:46 PM
Defense without Fitts, Hansen, Tautoeli, Hughes, Blackmon and Blair now.

That's over 50% of the starters, if I'm doing the math right.

NorthwestUteFan
11-11-2017, 06:55 PM
Why are the stands emptying? We have the whiniest fanbase sometimes.

This team deserves support. At least cheer on the positive plays.

LA Ute
11-11-2017, 07:08 PM
I'm hoping we can beat CU and get into a bowl, so the team gets extra practice and the seniors finish with a bowl. That's what we can still hope for.

sancho
11-11-2017, 07:20 PM
Stanford, USC, and WSU are all in their division races (SC clinched), and we were neck and neck with each of them. What does that mean? It means there are no good teams in the Pac-12. Have any of our opponents really impressed this season? I guess it's a down year for everyone.

LA Ute
11-11-2017, 07:22 PM
I heard only a little of the game on the radio and just saw this. Did we really have 7 turnovers?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171112/08ae1be4b316c0162a40fb37f857674e.jpg

NorthwestUteFan
11-11-2017, 07:27 PM
I am tired of the 'Fire Whitt' bozos. I get the frustration at losing games, but can't they see the same positives I see? This team is close to breaking through and next year Huntley won't make as many big mistakes.

NorthwestUteFan
11-11-2017, 07:30 PM
I heard only a little of the game on the radio and just saw this. Did we really have 7 turnovers?

Yes.
And still had a chance to tie at the end.
Vs the #2 Offense in the nation.
And top 10 defense in most categories.

sancho
11-11-2017, 07:40 PM
I am tired of the 'Fire Whitt' bozos. I get the frustration at losing games, but can't they see the same positives I see? This team is close to breaking through and next year Huntley won't make as many big mistakes.

I haven't seen any of them lately. Are they out?

Whitt is in the top tier of Pac-12 coaches with Shaw and Petersen.

Leach won today but gave us two more chances to tie than a better coach would have.

Diehard Ute
11-11-2017, 07:40 PM
In a non game play related note, the lack of the advertised fly over for Veterans Day was disappointing.

NorthwestUteFan
11-11-2017, 08:03 PM
I haven't seen any of them lately. Are they out?

Whitt is in the top tier of Pac-12 coaches with Shaw and Petersen.

Leach won today but gave us two more chances to tie than a better coach would have.

Sorry, none of them are here. Facebook/Twitter/UteHub are full of them.

Mormon Red Death
11-11-2017, 08:08 PM
some questions;

how do they not look at targeting when he clearly hit him in the head (out of bounds penalty)?

We've been called for ineligible receiver more this year than the last 10 combined right?

Do we have a screen play in our playbook?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

USS Utah
11-11-2017, 08:20 PM

2 fumbles
4 INTs by Huntley
1 INT off a Hail Mary pass on the last play by Troy W.

Add in a bunch of injuries on defense and no Carrington, and Utah still had a chance at the end.

Not a moral victory, of course, as there is no such thing. But it is a positive that they didn't quit and kept fighting.

sancho
11-11-2017, 08:38 PM
Not a moral victory, of course, as there is no such thing. But it is a positive that they didn't quit and kept fighting.

I was impressed with the comeback, and I'm still impressed with Huntley. If the lines were just a little better this season, we'd be a ranked football team. It is encouraging to see the passing game have some success without Carrington.

LA Ute
11-11-2017, 08:39 PM
2 fumbles
4 INTs by Huntley
1 INT off a Hail Mary pass on the last play by Troy W.

Add in a bunch of injuries on defense and no Carrington, and Utah still had a chance at the end.

I love this team’s fight. I do think the future looks pretty bright.

sancho
11-11-2017, 08:44 PM
Sorry, none of them are here. Facebook/Twitter/UteHub are full of them.

I have to assume all fan bases have people like this? I bet a few Mississippi State fans are calling for Mullen's job right now.

Applejack
11-11-2017, 08:45 PM
We were the lesser team tonight (especially w all the injuries) but still had a chance. That at least was good to see.

Question: why not go for 2 after we scored the TD that cut the lead to 9 (before we kicked the extra point)? You have to get a two point conversion at some point, so why not try there? If you miss, you play differently knowing you need two scores, and if you make it you're down 7 and that gives you the option of going for 2 again when you score next time (and winning). Seems like a no-brainer.

Applejack
11-11-2017, 08:47 PM
Also, kudos to the d for making a lot of stops in tough situations tonight. We're still not getting pressure rushing 4, but we were effective overall in the defensive backfield.

sancho
11-11-2017, 08:49 PM
Seems like a no-brainer.

A lot of people have written about that scenario in the past few years. They always agree with you. I think they are ignoring the psychology and momentum of football. You kick the extra point, and it keeps the pressure and drama high. It makes people act differently (like Mike Leach deciding to try to go long twice instead of running out the clock). I think the team down 8 has a whole different energy knowing they are only one score down.

sancho
11-11-2017, 08:51 PM
Also, kudos to the d for making a lot of stops in tough situations tonight. We're still not getting pressure rushing 4, but we were effective overall in the defensive backfield.

We held WSU 100 yards below their season average for total yards. Considering the 7 turnovers and missing starters, that's pretty impressive.

LA Ute
11-11-2017, 09:01 PM
We held WSU 100 yards below their season average for total yards. Considering the 7 turnovers and missing starters, that's pretty impressive.

Sure is. In a way it’s actually encouraging.

UTEopia
11-11-2017, 09:05 PM
We were the lesser team tonight (especially w all the injuries) but still had a chance. That at least was good to see.

Question: why not go for 2 after we scored the TD that cut the lead to 9 (before we kicked the extra point)? You have to get a two point conversion at some point, so why not try there? If you miss, you play differently knowing you need two scores, and if you make it you're down 7 and that gives you the option of going for 2 again when you score next time (and winning). Seems like a no-brainer.

You may only get one more chance to score. If you go for 2 and don't get it, it is a two score game and you have no chance. The rule of thumb is that you don't go for two until you absolutely need to. IMO, Whit played it correctly both times.

mUUser
11-11-2017, 09:12 PM
.....and next year Huntley won't make as many big mistakes.

Agreed.....cuz he'll be second string. My bold prediction. Jack Tuttle four year starter. :football::D

Brian
11-11-2017, 09:32 PM
Loved the fight in this team. Would have been very easy to pack it in after all the turnovers, especially early on.
Lots of youth that will only get better. I like the future.
The OL... I'm guess we just don't have the talent there this year.

Hopefully we can catch the Huskies on a letdown after their playoff hopes died.

NorthwestUteFan
11-11-2017, 09:38 PM
Agreed.....cuz he'll be second string. My bold prediction. Jack Tuttle four year starter. :football::DAny player good enough to start all four years will be gone after three.

And he will kill future QB recruiting during those three years.

NorthwestUteFan
11-11-2017, 09:40 PM
We held WSU 100 yards below their season average for total yards. Considering the 7 turnovers and missing starters, that's pretty impressive.Granted, we gave them a short field many times. That also affects total yards.

NorthwestUteFan
11-11-2017, 09:46 PM
Granted, we gave them a short field many times. That also affects total yards.Wow. WSU started on our 12, 12, 15, and 19. Insane that game was close at the end.

Diehard Ute
11-11-2017, 10:17 PM
Falk was 40/69 for 311 yards. 4.5 YPA.

His YPA for his career is about 7.1

Utah played WSU well defensively. Our turnovers just killed us

(Huntley was 21/39 for 305)

LA Ute
11-12-2017, 01:27 AM
Wow. WSU started on our 12, 12, 15, and 19. Insane that game was close at the end.

I’m kinda glad I wasn’t able to watch that.

UTEopia
11-12-2017, 08:30 AM
I am not at all convinced on Taylor or his offense, but Whit damn well better give him at least 3 years to make it work. And I don't mean 3 years interspersed with Chow one year and Christensen another year. I personally don't believe you should fire a HC until he has at least had 3 or 4 years to get his program in place. It really can't be any different with an OC, especially when you are changing the entire offensive philosophy.

Hard to say the D played well looking at 33 points on the board, but that was a great effort and a great plan of attack, especially without Hansen, Tautioli, Blair and Fitts.

The O kept plugging away and it is amazing we had a chance at a hail mary, without Carrington and playing Fields the last series because the others were gassed or hurt.

Disappointed in the loss - not disappointed in the effort and guts.

Ma'ake
11-12-2017, 08:35 AM
I didn't expect to beat Wazzu, and was heartened that the team fought all the way to the end, and actually had a chance on the Hail Mary.

Seven turnovers... unfathomable. Still, seeing the fight in the team made it not nearly as demoralizing as the ASU game.

On the postgame, when Reilly asked Huntley about why Troy Williams was brought in for the Hail Mary, Reilly suggested maybe it was because he (TH) was tired... and Tyler quickly agreed. "Yeah, I was tired. Troy came in for the last play because I was tired".

No dig on Huntley, who has been a warrior and was thrown around like a rag doll on a number of plays, but that response revealed both the steely pride in Huntley, and a season with (at least some degree of) a divided locker room over the QB issue. We've had so many OL downfield calls this year, those guys have been through hell with how the offense has gone. Clearly a mismatch in how Harding has developed this OL, and what is required with a QB who may throw on the last half second before crossing the LOS.

"So, Coach, now we're not supposed to block downfield if it turns out to be a running play? What should we do?"

We need Arizona's OL... or maybe not, depending on how Tuttle looks.

Ma'ake
11-12-2017, 08:55 AM
I am not at all convinced on Taylor or his offense, but Whit damn well better give him at least 3 years to make it work.

My hope is nobody has learned more than Taylor, this year. I agree 3 years is what it takes to fully install an offense, with recruiting, etc.

The big question is what is an acceptable rate of improvement? Our adjusted hopes are we could get to a bowl this year, which is a sizable let down from preseason expectations. If we don't get to a bowl next year, will that be viewed as acceptable....by the fans?

Whitt has grinded through a lot of seasons. What is unknown is Taylor's tolerance for struggling at this level, under this level of pressure. Definitely not as much fun as the aerial circus last year at Eastern WA. I feel like I know less about Taylor now than before the season, but the early optimism is diminished, consistent with the record.

Taylor/Whitt can buy more time, maybe a full 3 years, if we get to a bowl game and do well.

LA Ute
11-12-2017, 09:02 AM
My hope is nobody has learned more than Taylor, this year. I agree 3 years is what it takes to fully install an offense, with recruiting, etc.

The big question is what is an acceptable rate of improvement? Our adjusted hopes are we could get to a bowl this year, which is a sizable let down from preseason expectations. If we don't get to a bowl next year, will that be viewed as acceptable....by the fans?

Whitt has grinded through a lot of seasons. What is unknown is Taylor's tolerance for struggling at this level, under this level of pressure. Definitely not as much fun as the aerial circus last year at Eastern WA. I feel like I know less about Taylor now than before the season, but the early optimism is diminished, consistent with the record.

Taylor/Whitt can buy more time, maybe a full 3 years, if we get to a bowl game and do well.

I don't think Taylor can be held responsible for the offensive line. Maybe that's the usual combination of bad luck in recruiting, ineffective coaching, and underperformance; but we clearly don't have the horses on the o-line that we need. Yes, we lost our stars to the NFL, but everyone knew those guys were graduating or might leave. Was there a failure to plan?

It does seem that the o-line is struggling to learn the new system. Not sure that is on Taylor either. I agree with you that we don't know as much about him as we thought we did. If Whit fires Taylor after this season we will know that the Utes' offensive woes will never change until Whit retires.

UTEopia
11-12-2017, 10:53 AM
I don't think Taylor can be held responsible for the offensive line. Maybe that's the usual combination of bad luck in recruiting, ineffective coaching, and underperformance; but we clearly don't have the horses on the o-line that we need. Yes, we lost our stars to the NFL, but everyone knew those guys were graduating or might leave. Was there a failure to plan?

It does seem that the o-line is struggling to learn the new system. Not sure that is on Taylor either. I agree with you that we don't know as much about him as we thought we did. If Whit fires Taylor after this season we will know that the Utes' offensive woes will never change until Whit retires.
These OL were recruited to be road graders in a power run offense, not nimble pass blockers in a run pass option. Why did we run more effectively against USC, we returned to a power run game. Don't blame the recruiting or the players or Harding. Their ineffectiveness is on Whit totally changing the scheme and philosophy.

NorthwestUteFan
11-12-2017, 10:55 AM
If Whitt fires Taylor, then the entire staff needs to go. Probably should send half of the AD staff out the door as well, including Chris Hill if he allows that to happen.

There is absolutely no way we should see a different OC next year.

NorthwestUteFan
11-12-2017, 10:57 AM
Don't blame the recruiting or the players or Harding. Their ineffectiveness is on Whit totally changing the scheme and philosophy.

True. But changing again is another level of stupidity mixed with arrogance.

UTEopia
11-12-2017, 12:54 PM
True. But changing again is another level of stupidity mixed with arrogance.

I am not advocating firing anyone. Even though I am not convinced that Taylor or his offense is right for Utah, I think Whit needs to commit to him for at least two more years.

justaute
11-12-2017, 02:00 PM
These OL were recruited to be road graders in a power run offense, not nimble pass blockers in a run pass option. Why did we run more effectively against USC, we returned to a power run game. Don't blame the recruiting or the players or Harding. Their ineffectiveness is on Whit totally changing the scheme and philosophy.

Well, as Whit has said before, it's always on the coaches -- basically either you can't recruit or you can't coach. I guess there is that 3rd combination of both.

Ma'ake
11-12-2017, 02:09 PM
I am not advocating firing anyone. Even though I am not convinced that Taylor or his offense is right for Utah, I think Whit needs to commit to him for at least two more years.

I agree. Get to a bowl game, get in the extra practice, hopefully win the game, then that gives breathing room for a couple more years. If we cough up the last two games, the pressure is acute for next year. We don't want Year 3 to be a formality where everyone suspects it's a dead man walking situation.

More head-scratching from yesterday is our best offensive work was in the air game, where the OL did reasonably well giving Huntley a chance to connect on some long throws.

Huntley was harassed and sacked and had to escape a number of times... but we outgained Wazzu, with less than 100 on the ground? Remarkable. It says a lot about TH, and the receivers, and the OL wasn't a complete sieve in pass protection. (Of course, Wazzu didn't get the opportunity to rack up a lot of yardage.)

And they fought to the end, with a shot to take it to OT. That's the biggest positive.

SoCalPat
11-12-2017, 03:23 PM
I am not at all convinced on Taylor or his offense, but Whit damn well better give him at least 3 years to make it work. And I don't mean 3 years interspersed with Chow one year and Christensen another year. I personally don't believe you should fire a HC until he has at least had 3 or 4 years to get his program in place. It really can't be any different with an OC, especially when you are changing the entire offensive philosophy.

Hard to say the D played well looking at 33 points on the board, but that was a great effort and a great plan of attack, especially without Hansen, Tautioli, Blair and Fitts.

The O kept plugging away and it is amazing we had a chance at a hail mary, without Carrington and playing Fields the last series because the others were gassed or hurt.

Disappointed in the loss - not disappointed in the effort and guts.

I don't want an OC who needs to get to Year 3 at the least before we start seeing tangible results and marked improvement. Two years is more than enough evidence to see whether or not Taylor will work out. That said, until we commit fully to one identifiable offensive philosophy, it really doesn't matter who our OC is, does it?

SoCalPat
11-12-2017, 03:36 PM
If Whitt fires Taylor, then the entire staff needs to go. Probably should send half of the AD staff out the door as well, including Chris Hill if he allows that to happen.

There is absolutely no way we should see a different OC next year.

If Kyle asks for or requests any major changes this offseason, he's opening the door wide open for Hill to demand some changes in the terms of his contract.

sancho
11-12-2017, 05:17 PM
More head-scratching from yesterday is our best offensive work was in the air game,

This is a matchup thing. We clobbered UCLA on the ground because of who they are, and we moved the ball in the air on Wazzu because that is where their weakness lies.

It's nice to have an offense that can do either, depending on the strengths/weaknesses of the opponent.

Really, nothing wrong with the offense (other than that dang reverse) or the defense yesterday. Just turnovers.

sancho
11-12-2017, 05:19 PM
Well, as Whit has said before, it's always on the coaches -- basically either you can't recruit or you can't coach.

Whitt says this because that's what good leaders say, but it's clearly more complicated than that. Luck plays as large a role as anything else, but there's no way a coach can get away with saying that.

sancho
11-12-2017, 05:21 PM
This conversation is taking a strange turn. I'm not sure why we are discussing Taylor's job security. Of course he'll be here next year. He'll be here the year after as well, and then he'll leave for a head coach job somewhere after we win the Pac-12.

NorthwestUteFan
11-12-2017, 06:44 PM
If Kyle asks for or requests any major changes this offseason, he's opening the door wide open for Hill to demand some changes in the terms of his contract.
This conversation is taking a strange turn. I'm not sure why we are discussing Taylor's job security. Of course he'll be here next year. He'll be here the year after as well, and then he'll leave for a head coach job somewhere after we win the Pac-12.Whitt's job security has to be tied to Taylor. If Taylor gets fired then Whitt needs to be the next one out the door, followed by whomever in the AD allows that chaos to happen.

But this entire discussion is academic. If Whitt is the HC, then Taylor is the OC.

People pushing for a new HC or OC after this year don't know enough about CFB to be taken seriously in any way.

U-Ute
11-13-2017, 10:20 AM

Well, in their defense, they only had to go 60 yards total for 4 of their scores.

concerned
11-13-2017, 10:27 AM
Well, in their defense, they only had to go 60 yards total for 4 of their scores.

Very true, but they had a lot of possessions. We noted that they had 4 possessions in the 1st. q. How many times does that happen?

LA Ute
11-14-2017, 07:42 AM
Very true, but they had a lot of possessions. We noted that they had 4 possessions in the 1st. q. How many times does that happen?

Except for one 75 yard drive, every WSU score came after a drive of 46 yards or less.

UTEopia
11-14-2017, 08:32 AM
I don't want an OC who needs to get to Year 3 at the least before we start seeing tangible results and marked improvement. Two years is more than enough evidence to see whether or not Taylor will work out. That said, until we commit fully to one identifiable offensive philosophy, it really doesn't matter who our OC is, does it?

The devil is always in the details because we will never be able to reach a consensus on what constitutes tangible results and marked improvement.
Going back to 2016 - would ARod still be OC if Moss follows Asiata into the hole at Cal and we win that game or Brian Allen's hand is a 3 or 4 inches to the left and knocks down the ball caught by Carrington in the Oregon game? My guess is no. So what will be the five or six plays next year that mark the difference between tangible results and marked improvement?

LA Ute
11-14-2017, 09:33 AM
So a question for the football minds here:

If Troy Taylor has an o-line that Utah recruited for one of its prior offenses — road graders, as UTEopia calls them — shouldn’t Taylor adjust his offense to match that group’s capabilities? Or is he already trying to do that?

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-14-2017, 10:25 AM
So a question for the football minds here:

If Troy Taylor has an o-line that Utah recruited for one of its prior offenses — road graders, as UTEopia calls them — shouldn’t Taylor adjust his offense to match that group’s capabilities? Or is he already trying to do that?

Joseph Silverzweig just Tweeted this eye popper out. Turns out road grading isn't our cup of tea either.

Edit: Has the code for embedding Tweets changed? I’ve had a hell of a time getting them to actually show up lately.

Anyway, here’s a screen shot.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171114/2f3a9ac797a522dfb178954a4be6c2c8.jpg

concerned
11-14-2017, 12:42 PM
Somebody just posted this on Youtube--Mighty Alaskan Ute calling in to Gunther defending Huntley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQNiLWrxY84&feature=youtu.be

P.s. gunther is a blowhard

concerned
11-14-2017, 12:44 PM
Joseph Silverzweig just Tweeted this eye popper out. Turns out road grading isn't our cup of tea either.

Edit: Has the code for embedding Tweets changed? I’ve had a hell of a time getting them to actually show up lately.

Anyway, here’s a screen shot.

Silveerzweig followed up that tweet with these:

Joseph Silverzweig‏ @JSilverzweig (https://twitter.com/JSilverzweig)Nov 11 (https://twitter.com/JSilverzweig/status/929557203584827392)More

What I like and find exciting about this Utah football team is that historical weaknesses are compensating for traditional strengths.Every year it’s “With these lines, we just need a QB and a secondary.” Now we’ve got them. Harding and Whit will have the lines working soon.

Joseph Silverzweig‏ @JSilverzweig (https://twitter.com/JSilverzweig)2h2 hours ago (https://twitter.com/JSilverzweig/status/930497715745603585)More

With all those lousy line numbers, all those extra TFLs and sacks, Utah’s taken only a .2 yards per play step back, in conference. Completion % is up 8 points. TDs are up. Explosive plays are up. Despite the line.I’m quite optimistic.

Joseph Silverzweig‏ @JSilverzweig (https://twitter.com/JSilverzweig)2h2 hours ago (https://twitter.com/JSilverzweig/status/930485086008500224)More

Joseph Silverzweig Retweeted Joseph Silverzweig
My takeaway from these and other numbers, as well as my observations, is that judgments of any other offensive unit or scheme are premature. Much of the time, there's no way to tell what other players' assignments are or what the play call is.

UtahsMrSports
11-14-2017, 01:09 PM
Somebody just posted this on Youtube--Mighty Alaskan Ute calling in to Gunther defending Huntley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQNiLWrxY84&feature=youtu.be

P.s. gunther is a blowhard

That was great!

LA Ute
11-14-2017, 02:55 PM
Silveerzweig followed up that tweet with these:

Joseph Silverzweig‏ @JSilverzweig (https://twitter.com/JSilverzweig)Nov 11 (https://twitter.com/JSilverzweig/status/929557203584827392)More

What I like and find exciting about this Utah football team is that historical weaknesses are compensating for traditional strengths.Every year it’s “With these lines, we just need a QB and a secondary.” Now we’ve got them. Harding and Whit will have the lines working soon.

Joseph Silverzweig‏ @JSilverzweig (https://twitter.com/JSilverzweig)2h2 hours ago (https://twitter.com/JSilverzweig/status/930497715745603585)More

With all those lousy line numbers, all those extra TFLs and sacks, Utah’s taken only a .2 yards per play step back, in conference. Completion % is up 8 points. TDs are up. Explosive plays are up. Despite the line.I’m quite optimistic.

Joseph Silverzweig‏ @JSilverzweig (https://twitter.com/JSilverzweig)2h2 hours ago (https://twitter.com/JSilverzweig/status/930485086008500224)More

Joseph Silverzweig Retweeted Joseph Silverzweig
My takeaway from these and other numbers, as well as my observations, is that judgments of any other offensive unit or scheme are premature. Much of the time, there's no way to tell what other players' assignments are or what the play call is.

I think that's all very encouraging.