justaute
11-10-2017, 08:58 PM
Just started watching.

Rawson -- still not a good player.

sancho
11-10-2017, 09:05 PM
Just started watching.

Rawson -- still not a good player.

Yeah, he's been bad. Ditto PVD and Bealer.

justaute
11-10-2017, 09:06 PM
Yeah, he's been bad. Ditto PVD and Bealer.

I still have questions about our coaching staff's ability to identify players. The "no turd" policy can't be an excuse all the time. Though 3 first-round drafts in 3 years do mean something.

Kinda glad Kuz left the program. Don't think he'd get much help and will get stifled by all the zoning against him.

Still early in the season I guess.

Oh...our next year's recruits, while seem terrific, don't appear to be any better -- if at par -- than other conference mates.

sancho
11-10-2017, 09:10 PM
I still questions about our coaching staff's ability to identify players. The "no turd" policy can't be an excuse all the time.

Well, none of those three were expected to do much.

Where's Jayce?

Mormon Red Death
11-10-2017, 09:11 PM
Well, none of those three were expected to do much.

Where's Jayce?Paper said he had an ankle injury. Back next week

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

justaute
11-10-2017, 09:51 PM
How bad to you have to be to miss a wide open, turnaround lay-up at nearly 6'10"?

justaute
11-10-2017, 09:55 PM
Our 3-pt shooting is atrocious. 3-14 so far.

Diehard Ute
11-10-2017, 10:05 PM
47 fouls and counting. Glad to see the refs still think we pay to see them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

justaute
11-10-2017, 10:06 PM
Took a peek at USC vs Cal State Fullerton....wow, USC is full of talent.

NorthwestUteFan
11-10-2017, 10:09 PM
I love our players and am glad they work hard to perform, but if I am honest I see this season as a write-off. Next year will see us back on track, but this year we will be lucky to get an NIT invite.

justaute
11-10-2017, 10:16 PM
I love our players and am glad they work hard to perform, but if I am honest I see this season as a write-off. Next year will see us back on track, but this year we will be lucky to get an NIT invite.

Agreed. If we finish 10th or better in the conference, that'd be a win for me.

Old Standing ute
11-10-2017, 10:46 PM
Took a peek at USC vs Cal State Fullerton....wow, USC is full of talent.

Looks like they bought some good players.

sancho
11-11-2017, 07:39 AM
Agreed. If we finish 10th or better in the conference, that'd be a win for me.

I think we can do better than that. Depends on the rest of the conference, I guess. Barefield and Collette are both good players. Bibbins may be an adequate Pac-12 PG. Jayce may be improved over last season. We'll see. There's some strength and athleticism in Seeley and Tillman - hoping that translates into defense and rebounding.

If PVD and Rawson are still getting major minutes in January, we may be in trouble.

Mormon Red Death
11-11-2017, 11:55 AM
Our crunch time 5 will be barefield, bibbins, bealer, johnson and Colette

If bealer can hit the corner 3 consistently we will fight for 4th seed

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

USS Utah
11-11-2017, 02:17 PM
I have learned not to read too much into a game in November, much less the first game of the year.

Ma'ake
11-12-2017, 07:53 AM
I have learned not to read too much into a game in November, much less the first game of the year.

Astute observation.

We know Barefield is pretty good - against Prairie View A&M - I think he's more mature, probably better than last year. Bibbins shows promise as a spark plug. Collette looked great, against PVAM, Rawson looks like he's gotten a little better. Etc.

Based on last season's pretty obvious chemistry issues, and reports that this group is more cohesive, it will be watch.

Caldwell looks intriguing, Bealer *should* be an X factor who can be a threat from the corners, will Sealey find a way to use his impressive athletic ability? (We will desperately need length and athleticism on the front line, if for no other reason than defense and rebounding, very soon.)

My expectations are they play hard and get better.

justaute
11-12-2017, 12:45 PM
Some people's too much is just other people's preliminary observation. Have played, coached, and watched long enough to know that Rawson is barely serviceable and Jokl contributes nothing.

Old Standing ute
11-12-2017, 05:15 PM
Some people's too much is just other people's preliminary observation. Have played, coached, and watched long enough to know that Rawson is barely serviceable and Jokl contributes nothing.

You left out PVD who is not a Pac-12 level player.

Tillman needs to get a lot of early season minutes---hopefully he can play 3 & 4. He has a nose for the ball and a broad Charles Barkley like base for rebounding.

sancho
11-12-2017, 05:26 PM
Rawson looks like he's gotten a little better.

Rawson can become a serviceable player if he starts hitting from outside. Even then, he's a liability in pretty much everything else you need from a PF. I still think our best hope at PF is that someone develops quickly/strongly enough to take minutes away from Rawson.

Bealer *should* be an X factor who can be a threat from the corners

I think we'd have seen it by now if Bealer were going to become a strong player for us.

I know this sounds pessimistic. I'm optimistic, but my hopes are mostly in other players.

Diehard Ute
11-12-2017, 05:34 PM
I think we'd have seen it by now if Bealer were going to become a strong player for us.

I know this sounds pessimistic. I'm optimistic, but my hopes are mostly in other players.

Bealer is behind this year though due to injury. He missed all summer, including conditioning.

I think the jury is still out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sancho
11-12-2017, 06:07 PM
Bealer is behind this year though due to injury. He missed all summer, including conditioning.

I think the jury is still out.

I'm more optimistic for Bealer (killer B's!) than for Rawson. But he's been around for a long time without showing much.

Old Standing ute
11-13-2017, 03:02 PM
I'm more optimistic for Bealer (killer B's!) than for Rawson. But he's been around for a long time without showing much.

Bealer always looks like he is on cruise control. Would like to see him more in the middle of things---demanding the ball, but not in his personality.