View Full Version : Utah vs Mississippi Valley State

Diehard Ute
11-13-2017, 07:00 PM
Sedrick Barefield (sick) and Jayce Johnson (ankle) both out tonight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diehard Ute
11-13-2017, 07:36 PM
Rawson is hustling tonight.

Watching PVD he always seems to only be giving it 75% or so.

hostile
11-13-2017, 07:45 PM
Almost everyone getting minutes tonight. Duda and Reininger the only suited players who haven’t been in.

Diehard Ute
11-13-2017, 08:14 PM
With 15 minutes left Bealer has 20 points, 7 boards and 2 assists. He’s 6-8 from downtown.

justaute
11-13-2017, 08:28 PM
Glad to see Rawson having a better game. FWIW...having the Wichita State vs Charleston game on TV. Have really liked the Wichita program; its players usually have really good fundamentals, on top of some talent.

hostile
11-13-2017, 08:28 PM
With 15 minutes left Bealer has 20 points, 7 boards and 2 assists. He’s 6-8 from downtown.
Pretty good ball rotation to create most of those shots.

Mormon Red Death
11-13-2017, 08:41 PM
How about seely and those dunks?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Diehard Ute
11-13-2017, 08:45 PM

And 10 boards in 13 minutes

The competition level is obviously low, but the hustle etc is encouraging.

We’ve played most of the second half with our starters on the bench.

justaute
11-13-2017, 08:47 PM

Very nice. Seely, Tillman, and Popoola are all athletes with good hops, especially Seely and Popoola. I'm hopeful they can develop and round-out the rest of their game.

Still don't understand LK's decision on Jokl...at least not yet.

Old Standing ute
11-13-2017, 09:49 PM
Have to admit I was wrong on Bealer---he wanted the ball tonight.

Popoola has a long way to go. But it would be nice to see him get minutes instead of Jake Connor.

Kolbe Caldwell hit a 3---mark that down, could be the last one of the year--air mailed the next one. He is a good role player.

Jokl will be back in the old country this time next year.

UtahsMrSports
11-14-2017, 08:26 AM
Once Jayce is healthy, we will have an interesting scenario where our starters at 3-5 (Bealer, Rawson, Collette) are clearly inferior to their backups (Tillman, Seeley, Johnson) at rebounding. At some point, that could be switched up. I am not advocating for it right now as I want to see everyone against real competition in the next two and potentially 3 games and I think Rawson, for all his faults, brings some valuable things to the table that play well next to Collette.

We have 4 preseason games against Ken Pom top 100 teams. Last year we had 2. I am glad that we will have a better idea of who we really are going into conference play.

UBlender
11-14-2017, 08:30 AM
I really want Parker Van Dyke to be a good, contributing player off the bench, but he just looks bad this year. He's supposed to be a good shooter and reliable taking care of the ball. Through two games he has not shot well and has been very turnover prone. He's not the only one with those problems but most of the other guys have the excuse of being new or playing a much larger role than they ever have before.

Mormon Red Death
11-14-2017, 08:46 AM
Once Jayce is healthy, we will have an interesting scenario where our starters at 3-5 (Bealer, Rawson, Collette) are clearly inferior to their backups (Tillman, Seeley, Johnson) at rebounding. At some point, that could be switched up. I am not advocating for it right now as I want to see everyone against real competition in the next two and potentially 3 games and I think Rawson, for all his faults, brings some valuable things to the table that play well next to Collette.

We have 4 preseason games against Ken Pom top 100 teams. Last year we had 2. I am glad that we will have a better idea of who we really are going into conference play.

Our best 5 will be
Johnson at 5
Collete at 4
Bealer at 3
Barefield at 2
Bibbins at 1

They will be tough at home.

UBlender
11-14-2017, 04:46 PM
Our best 5 will be
Johnson at 5
Collete at 4
Bealer at 3
Barefield at 2
Bibbins at 1

They will be tough at home.

That lineup would be physical and might be good at grinding out possessions but I think the paint would be awful crowded with both Collette and Johnson lacking the range the draw defenders away from the hoop. It would be tough for the guards to penetrate.

I think that lineup will be hard-pressed to play defense on most teams, unless we become a really good zone team. Most 4s in college are decent shooters from 3-point range. Neither Collette nor Johnson is quick or athletic enough to chase those guys out on the perimeter in my opinion. Of course, from what I've seen from Rawson that isn't his strong suit either. We really need either Tillman or Seeley to grow up fast.

UTEopia
11-15-2017, 09:52 AM
That lineup would be physical and might be good at grinding out possessions but I think the paint would be awful crowded with both Collette and Johnson lacking the range the draw defenders away from the hoop. It would be tough for the guards to penetrate.

I think that lineup will be hard-pressed to play defense on most teams, unless we become a really good zone team. Most 4s in college are decent shooters from 3-point range. Neither Collette nor Johnson is quick or athletic enough to chase those guys out on the perimeter in my opinion. Of course, from what I've seen from Rawson that isn't his strong suit either. We really need either Tillman or Seeley to grow up fast.

I agree.

Old Standing ute
11-15-2017, 06:20 PM
I really want Parker Van Dyke to be a good, contributing player off the bench, but he just looks bad this year. He's supposed to be a good shooter and reliable taking care of the ball. Through two games he has not shot well and has been very turnover prone. He's not the only one with those problems but most of the other guys have the excuse of being new or playing a much larger role than they ever have before.

They always talk about the game slowing down for a player after a year—that does not appear to be the case for PVD. He misses open players & throws the ball away when he gets pressured. He can spot up to shoot but struggles to create his own shot.