PDA

View Full Version : Nate Cooper should die of gonorrhea and roast in hell...Utah at byu

Mormon Red Death
12-12-2017, 08:19 AM
Saturday Night.... 11pm EST 9pm mst on the Deuce in Provo

The all time series is 129-128 for the good guys. Utah has won the last 4.

These teams have played some epic games in the past and neither team is all that good or bad this year. Utah (7-2) will be an NCAA bubble team most likely NIT and finish middle of the PAC12 while the orem 7th ward (8-2) is picked for 3rd in whatever rinky-dink conference they play in. I know all about Utah's teams strengths and weaknesses but as for the byu I know they have some surprise transfer (hardnett (sp?)) who has lots of tatoos and can actually shoot. Other than that they have a bunch of white guys with bad haircuts.

So I'm up for watching a late night rivalry game that's close to 3000 miles away where both teams are just ok. Oh and for your viewing pleasure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-l3HgL8eXg

Scorcho
12-12-2017, 08:36 AM
great thread title

with four seniors starting, I'd hoped that the Utes would be a little better on the road, but other than a 10 minute surge in the first half at Butler, Utah's looked blah. I think BYU wins this one on a late field goal 82-79

Mormon Red Death
12-12-2017, 08:41 AM
https://twitter.com/Coach_Keith44/status/940251494418333697

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

U-Ute
12-12-2017, 09:49 AM
#Punchable

DrumNFeather
12-12-2017, 09:56 AM
Twitter told me that our performance vs. USU means that the Cougars will run us out of the building.

sancho
12-12-2017, 10:02 AM
Twitter told me that our performance vs. USU means that the Cougars will run us out of the building.

Is this the game they've been waiting for to wear hard hats and make fun of Larry? They've been talking about this for years now.

They might run us out of the building - we aren't great. But I think it will be close.

UtahsMrSports
12-12-2017, 10:09 AM

That was me! And i thought that until I saw them play weber st without weber's starting bigs.

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-12-2017, 10:11 AM

What does Twitter say regarding BYU's performance vs. Weber State? This game promises to be borderline unwatchable on the court and in the stands.

sancho
12-12-2017, 10:18 AM
Knowing nothing about BYU basketball, I checked their stats:

I see an 8-man rotation. Scoring from Bryant, Childs, and Haws. Childs with 9 rpg and 2.4 bpg! Was the jury still out on whether we missed on him? We missed on him. A strong rebounder would be so nice.

I don't know anything about Bryant, but he gets 16 ppg, 6 rpg, and 2 apg. Shoots 42% from outside, 86% from the line. Was he on the team last season?

Bryant, Haws, Cannon, and Seljaas all shoot over 35% from outside (though Cannon has only played in 4 games - injury?). Hardnett is right behind them at 33%. So, maybe five guys with a green light to shoot from outside.

Only one guy over 6'8", but three 6'7" guys get minutes. I feel like, with defending Collette, it's more about athleticism than height. If these guys can move, they can probably do a decent job against him.

concerned
12-12-2017, 10:20 AM
Cannon is a transfer from Weber State, where he basically got pushed out. Became eligible a week or two ago.

UtahsMrSports
12-12-2017, 10:36 AM
I am not going to lose much sleep over Childs, but yes, in hindsight, he was a miss.

His junior year, he was at every game up at the JMHC that he could get to. However, we were chasing higher rated prospects in Tillie, Markannen, and Lightfoot. They all took longer to decide and Yoeli got tired of waiting and took the BYU offer. Im happy with with Tillman at the 4 (or 3) and BAttin coming in.

Mormon Red Death
12-12-2017, 11:50 AM

I see an 8-man rotation. Scoring from Bryant, Childs, and Haws. Childs with 9 rpg and 2.4 bpg! Was the jury still out on whether we missed on him? We missed on him. A strong rebounder would be so nice.

I don't know anything about Bryant, but he gets 16 ppg, 6 rpg, and 2 apg. Shoots 42% from outside, 86% from the line. Was he on the team last season?

Bryant, Haws, Cannon, and Seljaas all shoot over 35% from outside (though Cannon has only played in 4 games - injury?). Hardnett is right behind them at 33%. So, maybe five guys with a green light to shoot from outside.

Only one guy over 6'8", but three 6'7" guys get minutes. I feel like, with defending Collette, it's more about athleticism than height. If these guys can move, they can probably do a decent job against him.

They have no down low game. If Collette stays out of foul trouble he should have a field day. Jayce Johnson as well.

Two Utes
12-12-2017, 11:54 AM

Unfortunately, the Cougars aren't fun to watch anymore. They actually share the ball and try to defend. Childs is underratedly good and Worthington has been turned from totally crappy to decent. Losing Emery and his NBA threes and long twos with 20 seconds left on the shot clock is clearly addition by subtraction.

I expected to enjoy the UVU game and instead saw a decent team with a new point guard. Cannon is a player and makes this team better. That's the last game I watched.

But for a few WTF shots from Haws, these guys are playing in check.

Which begs the question: Why couldn't Rose get them to do this last year? Word is he hired Schroyer and Schroyer is doing most of the coaching these days. But, isn't that an indictment of Rose and the rest of the staff?

And what is Haws bringing to the table to deserve 32 minutes a game? 35% from the three and 37% from the two. Usually those numbers and those minutes suggest a really good defender. He ain't that. I'm convinced he's a less than ten minutes a a game player in the PAC 12. I'd take PVD over him.

If the Cougars can hit a bunch of 3s and keep Childs out of foul trouble, it will be a very competitive game. Otherwise Utes roll.

chrisrenrut
12-12-2017, 11:58 AM
They have no down low game. If Collette stays out of foul trouble he should have a field day. Jayce Johnson as well.

I don’t know. I watched a bit of the BYU/UVU game, and Childs looked like a force down low. UVU has a big guy that was supposed to be pretty good, but Child’s has his way with him. But it was just him. I think we win the battle down low, but if they get our bigs in foul trouble with penetration, it could get interesting.

Applejack
12-12-2017, 12:06 PM
I am not going to lose much sleep over Childs, but yes, in hindsight, he was a miss.

I'm losing a ton of sleep! Total whiff by the Utes.

tooblue
12-12-2017, 05:00 PM
I know Two Utes has his undies in bunch over Emery, but your coach ... really?

“He was super sincere about how he was growing up and didn’t handle it right and that he has felt bad for quite a long time,” Krystkowiak said. “Kudos to him for reaching out. To be honest with you, if that had happened a little bit earlier — this is no disrespect to him — we wouldn’t ever have taken any time off. That was part of the holding pattern. I was waiting to see what would take place before I kind of got my undies in a bunch and wanted to put an end [to] it.”

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-utes/2017/12/12/utahs-larry-krystkowiak-and-byus-nick-emery-on-good-terms-after-text-message-exchange/

chrisrenrut
12-13-2017, 12:39 PM
It fun to see how far under the skin of BYU fans Larry Krystkowiak has gotten. Not just from our resident BYU troll, but across twitter and other message boards as well. It seems Larry is less welcome in Provo this week than a resurrected Charles Manson would be.

Utebiquitous
12-13-2017, 02:21 PM
Tooblue,
I know you exist to just troll but are you really going to criticize Larry for an honest expression? I find his candor refreshing. The U - led by his candor - was pretty clear from the start on this one. They wanted the Y - particularly Dave Rose and Nick Emery - to act like reasonable adults and simply apologize. Rose's inaction that evening exacerbated the situation. You may not have been watching but from my vantage point I wasn't nearly as angered by Emery's cheap shot (they happen on both sides) as his profanity-laced tirade at Coach K as the referees sorted things out. Rose did nothing to restrain Emery or his assistant coach, Tim LaComb. Certainly, heat of the battle or moment comes to mind so you'd think a visit to the locker room following the game would happen. It didn't. All right, a phone call during the next week or two. It didn't happen. Any coach or player choosing that inaction loses a lot of my respect but adding the prism of representing the LDS Church makes it egregious.

Kudos to Larry for dealing honestly with the media then and now. Kudos to Emery for finally taking care of things. I respect him for it. Now, if only Rose would step forward and acknowledge his significant part in the conflict.

By the way, I'd love to see the relationship between Coach K and Emery blossom into a transfer to the U. I'd love to have better shooting on this team next season.

tooblue
12-13-2017, 04:10 PM
Tooblue,
I know you exist to just troll but are you really going to criticize Larry for an honest expression? I find his candor refreshing. The U - led by his candor - was pretty clear from the start on this one. They wanted the Y - particularly Dave Rose and Nick Emery - to act like reasonable adults and simply apologize. Rose's inaction that evening exacerbated the situation. You may not have been watching but from my vantage point I wasn't nearly as angered by Emery's cheap shot (they happen on both sides) as his profanity-laced tirade at Coach K as the referees sorted things out. Rose did nothing to restrain Emery or his assistant coach, Tim LaComb. Certainly, heat of the battle or moment comes to mind so you'd think a visit to the locker room following the game would happen. It didn't. All right, a phone call during the next week or two. It didn't happen. Any coach or player choosing that inaction loses a lot of my respect but adding the prism of representing the LDS Church makes it egregious.

Kudos to Larry for dealing honestly with the media then and now. Kudos to Emery for finally taking care of things. I respect him for it. Now, if only Rose would step forward and acknowledge his significant part in the conflict.

By the way, I'd love to see the relationship between Coach K and Emery blossom into a transfer to the U. I'd love to have better shooting on this team next season.

There was nothing honest about Larry Krystkowiak's actions. He flat out lied to the media by suggesting his concern was for player safety. The moment Larry Krsytkowiak chose to cancel the series he made this situation all about HIM, rendering his actions deplorable as those of a 21 year old idiot kid. That's pathetic, so yes, I am going to criticize him for his candor, offered years later only after being humiliated in his narcissism by the Utah state legislature.

Applejack
12-13-2017, 05:15 PM
There was nothing honest about Larry Krystkowiak's actions. He flat out lied to the media by suggesting his concern was for player safety. The moment Larry Krsytkowiak chose to cancel the series he made this situation all about HIM, rendering his actions deplorable as those of a 21 year old idiot kid. That's pathetic, so yes, I am going to criticize him for his candor, offered years later only after being humiliated in his narcissism by the Utah state legislature.

:larry:

LA Ute
12-13-2017, 05:20 PM

Think what you want, but he was concerned about player safety. A kid who acts like Emery did that night (and not just that night — he had a history) could actually start a brawl. I was only a few feet away from Larry and Nick that night and it was a disturbing scene.

LuckyUte
12-13-2017, 05:41 PM
It fun to see how far under the skin of BYU fans Larry Krystkowiak has gotten. Not just from our resident BYU troll, but across twitter and other message boards as well. It seems Larry is less welcome in Provo this week than a resurrected Charles Manson would be.

Coach K has to be paying way more than 80K for the rent inside so many Zoob's heads.

tooblue
12-13-2017, 05:43 PM
Think what you want, but he was concerned about player safety. A kid who acts like Emery did that night (and not just that night — he had a history) could actually start a brawl. I was only a few feet away from Larry and Nick that night and it was a disturbing scene.

The only person that legitimately needed to be concerned about his safety was Emery. If Loveridge isn't there to hold him back, coach undies in a bunch would've beaten the living tar out of him. Again, this was all about Larry.

tooblue
12-13-2017, 05:47 PM
Coach K has to be paying way more than 80K for the rent inside so many Zoob's heads.

If he's paying for it, he's not doing it right.

hostile
12-13-2017, 05:51 PM
The only person that legitimately needed to be concerned about his safety was Emery. If Loveridge isn't there to hold him back, coach undies in a bunch would've beaten the living tar out of him. Again, this was all about Larry.
Maybe that’s why Nick bailed this season.

So why did I withdraw after all? After countless nights of no sleep, school, basketball, divorce, NCAA, my family's safety and my own safety, I decided it was good to withdraw from school and put an end to all the craziness

snafu
12-13-2017, 06:12 PM

As others have already pointed out, this situation was really less about a "21 year old idiot kid" than it was a coach or coaches who sat idly by while his player went after another coach. Rose went AWOL. Do you grasp this concept?

tooblue
12-13-2017, 06:26 PM
As others have already pointed out, this situation was really less about a "21 year old idiot kid" than it was a coach or coaches who sat idly by while his player went after another coach. Rose went AWOL. Do you grasp this concept?

So, it's not Nick Emery's fault at all? Dang, millennials really aren't responsible for anything are they!

Rocker Ute
12-13-2017, 06:51 PM

In tooblue's world, sucker punching a player is the same as canceling a basketball game. Noted.

tooblue
12-13-2017, 07:01 PM
In tooblue's world, sucker punching a player is the same as canceling a basketball game. Noted.

Now it's a sucker punch? You guys are great. I'm not the one that is desperately trying to shift the blame for stupid behaviour on the floor by a 21 year old idiot basketball player and a grown man head basketball coach who can't keep his cool. You realize Larry was a thug in the NBA right? Ask Sherman Douglas.

LA Ute
12-13-2017, 07:31 PM

It’s really pretty funny, isn’t it? They feel disrespected and it drives them nuts.

Rocker Ute
12-13-2017, 09:17 PM
Now it's a sucker punch? You guys are great. I'm not the one that is desperately trying to shift the blame for stupid behaviour on the floor by a 21 year old idiot basketball player and a grown man head basketball coach who can't keep his cool. You realize Larry was a thug in the NBA right? Ask Sherman Douglas.

I forgot, BYU fans are authorities on sucker punches and how they are never done by their players.

A sucker punch, for the record, is an unexpected blow... and punching a guy who isn’t even looking at you would certainly qualify. And lest you think I’m the only one who thought it was a sucker punch, read one of many headlines on the matter:

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/news/byu-utah-nick-emery-punch-fight-ejection-brandon-taylor-winner-score-result/1igwtxwgmvge81qemd1oeie7p2

Sporting News is probably anti-Mormon right?

And who is shifting blame? What did Larry do that deserves blame? Let’s see, he sat by while Rose let his own player yell obscenities at an opposing coach. Then he waited for an apology and when that didn’t come he reached out and was ignored by Rose MULTIPLE TIMES when he was trying to get it resolved. If any coach didn’t have the common decency to call me back like Rose did I’d cancel the series too.

As always, you have no footing to stand on, but are too obtuse to realize it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scratch
12-13-2017, 10:14 PM
I forgot, BYU fans are authorities on sucker punches and how they are never done by their players.

A sucker punch, for the record, is an unexpected blow... and punching a guy who isn’t even looking at you would certainly qualify. And lest you think I’m the only one who thought it was a sucker punch, read one of many headlines on the matter:

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/news/byu-utah-nick-emery-punch-fight-ejection-brandon-taylor-winner-score-result/1igwtxwgmvge81qemd1oeie7p2

And who is shifting blame? What did Larry do that deserves blame? Let’s see, he sat by while Rose let his own player yell obscenities at an opposing coach. Then he waited for an apology and when that didn’t come he reached out and was ignored by Rose MULTIPLE TIMES when he was trying to get it resolved. If any coach didn’t have the common decency to call me back like Rose did I’d cancel the series too.

Only in the minds of BYU fans can you be a victim when your player cheapshots someone else and your coaching staff does nothing about it either during the game or after.

tooblue
12-14-2017, 07:03 AM

So, your saying Brandon Taylor didn’t know a physical response was coming from the player he was guarding, even though he was clutching and grabbing him and had just swiped at Emery leaving behind three large noticeable scratches on his neck? Now, do Taylors actions excuse Emery’s stupidity? No. Calling it a sucker punch, however, doesn’t quite work, because Emery didn’t even hit him in the face or head—it was more like a swipe made by a cat; the type of swipe two cats make when they are cat fighting.

At least we agree on one thing: Emery is responsible for his own idiotic behaviour, but then there is Scratch's logic, which if we see it all the way through forces us to come to the realization that actually, this is all President Monson’s fault. He is the Prophet and as head of the church is the one that permits BYU to field sports teams, let alone to support and run a university, representative of a faith and religion practiced by millions ...

And what of Larry. LA was sitting right there near him when this all happened. But he doesn’t talk about the coach’s behavior, which is alarming, especially considering Krystowiak’s history of violent behavior on a basketball floor. Your coach was out of control, and that’s the reason he made the irrational decision to cancel the series and lie about his reason for doing so. It became all about him and keeping himself in check so that Emery or some other player didn't become another Sherman Douglas.

Applejack
12-14-2017, 07:24 AM
So, your saying Brandon Taylor didn’t know a physical response was coming from the player he was guarding, even though he was clutching and grabbing him and had just swiped at Emery leaving behind three large noticeable scratches on his neck? Now, do Taylors actions excuse Emery’s stupidity? No. Calling it a sucker punch, however, doesn’t quite work, because Emery didn’t even hit him in the face or head—it was more like a swipe made by a cat; the type of swipe two cats make when they are cat fighting.

At least we agree on one thing: Emery is responsible for his own idiotic behaviour, but then there is Scratches logic, which if we see it all the way through forces us to come to the realization that actually, this is all President Monson’s fault. He is the Prophet and as head of the church is the one that permits BYU to field sports teams, let alone to support and run a university, representative of a religion and faith practiced by millions ...

And what of Larry. LA was there sitting right there near him when this all happened. But he doesn’t talk about the coach’s behavior, which is alarming, especially considering Krystowiak’s history of violent behavior on a basketball floor. Your coach was out of control, and that’s the reason he made the irrational decision to cancel the series and lie about his reason for doing so. It became all about him and keeping himself in check so that Emery or some other player didn't become another Sherman Douglas.

tooblue
12-14-2017, 07:36 AM

With all do respect, if Krystkowiak is that concerned about controlling his own temper, maybe he is in the wrong business.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2016/01/13/krystkowiak-utah-byu-cancel-amile-jefferson-duke

Applejack
12-14-2017, 08:02 AM
https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2016/01/13/krystkowiak-utah-byu-cancel-amile-jefferson-duke

(P.S. With all do respect, it's "due repect").

tooblue
12-14-2017, 08:18 AM

(P.S. With all do respect, it's "due repect").

It's a quote from the linked SI article. And I believe it's "due respect" ;-)

U-Ute
12-14-2017, 08:26 AM
Watching Zoobs do the mental gymnastics required to feel good about themselves is exhausting.

Diehard Ute
12-14-2017, 08:26 AM
At least the victim blaming down in Provo extends to basketball players as well.

tooblue
12-14-2017, 08:46 AM
At least the victim blaming down in Provo extends to basketball players as well.

Nick Emery alone is responsible for his own actions, but your Ute brethren just don't see it that way. Apparently, according to several posters, not only is Emery not responsible for his stupidity, Larry isn't responsible for his behaviour either. This all goes back to, on this very message board, posters blaming BYU for Ute fan bad behaviour. Gosh, I bet all those targeting penalties and ejections this past season by Utah players is also, somehow, BYU's fault.

Applejack
12-14-2017, 09:02 AM
Nick Emery alone is responsible for his own actions, but your Ute brethren just don't see it that way. Apparently, according to several posters, not only is Emery not responsible for his stupidity, Larry isn't responsible for his behaviour either. This all goes back to, on this very message board, posters blaming BYU for Ute fan bad behaviour. Gosh, I bet all those targeting penalties and ejections this past season by Utah players is also, somehow, BYU's fault.

Two Utes
12-14-2017, 09:06 AM
Tooblue,

great post except the last two sentences. Now way. And no way does Larry K add him.

LA Ute
12-14-2017, 09:18 AM
I must have missed the part where Larry was out of control. He did get red in the face when young punk was yelling obscenities at him, from two or 3 feet away.

Fortunately for Emery, there is no evidence of him ever having taking similar shots prior to this one exceptional occasion. No, wait....

But anyway, we all must keep in mind that Larry is the true bad guy in this whole story. Emery did nothing wrong. Even if he did something wrong, it pales in comparison in to Larry‘s disgusting behavior. Right?

Rocker Ute
12-14-2017, 09:22 AM

At least we agree on one thing: Emery is responsible for his own idiotic behaviour, but then there is Scratch's logic, which if we see it all the way through forces us to come to the realization that actually, this is all President Monson’s fault. He is the Prophet and as head of the church is the one that permits BYU to field sports teams, let alone to support and run a university, representative of a faith and religion practiced by millions ...

And what of Larry. LA was sitting right there near him when this all happened. But he doesn’t talk about the coach’s behavior, which is alarming, especially considering Krystowiak’s history of violent behavior on a basketball floor. Your coach was out of control, and that’s the reason he made the irrational decision to cancel the series and lie about his reason for doing so. It became all about him and keeping himself in check so that Emery or some other player didn't become another Sherman Douglas.

I think I might get this response framed. It is one of the funniest justifications I have ever read and I am nearly certain that you can't possibly believe this. This is a close second to the guy on cougarboard who claimed he was a street fighter and that by rules of the street Nacua's sucker punch of the Memphis football player wasn't technically a sucker punch.

Now if you do really believe what you said, it is your responsibility to correct the dozens of other major publications that all called it a sucker punch.

https://i.giphy.com/media/lnCggcJbfrY8E/giphy.webp

concerned
12-14-2017, 09:24 AM
This thread is just another reminder of why I would love to quit playing them altogether. Tooblue and the Y should not want to be associated with us; we are just bad people and will provoke them to come down to our level. They should want to be done with us. It isn't worth it on either side. this internet back and forth (a microcosm of the whole) isnt worth the effort. I just get tired of a fanbase telling me and people I associate with or root for are bad.

Two Utes
12-14-2017, 09:27 AM
This thread is just another reminder of why I would love to quit playing them altogether. Tooblue and the Y should not want to be associated with us; we are just bad people and will provoke them to come down to our level. They should want to be done with us. It isn't worth it on either side. this internet back and forth (a microcosm of the whole) isnt worth the effort. I just get tired of a fanbase telling me and people I associate with or root for are bad.

I agree with you for football. There isn't enough games to waste one on a game against BYU.

But there are a ton of basketball games and there really aren't enough good preseason games. True bloo doesn't believe the crap he's spewing right now. He's just trolling.

Old Standing ute
12-14-2017, 11:21 AM
Next year FB at the end of the year, which will be weird to play a non-important game after the conference schedule. Only makes sense, if any, to play the FB game as a tune up for the conference.

they still have a half way decent BB program so it is a good test. And the crowd will be pumped up so it is good experience to play in places like that before Utes have to go to AZ, AZ St. , Ore. etc.

Scratch
12-14-2017, 11:54 AM
I also enjoyed Emery claiming that he had been scratched by Taylor and posting a picture of scratches on his neck the next day, but if you go back to the game and look closely at his neck after the play there is nothing there. So apparently he went and scratched himself after the game to try to say that Taylor had done that to him.

UtahsMrSports
12-14-2017, 12:29 PM
This takes a minute to set up, so bear with me (Its really KSL's fault)

Download either of the files titled "BYU @ Utah 2nd half" and fast forward to the emery-taylor incident (pretty easy to find if you use ESPNs play by play, or just listen for wrubell to call out the 2 minutes left warning).

Wrubell and Durrant were sitting courtside for this game, but listening to them, you would have the idea that they were watching an entirely different game. Wrubell claims multiple times to not have seen the incident. Durrant watches it and refers to it as Emery catching Taylor with an elbow, but blames Taylor for antagonizing Fischer and Emery all game. Durrant further goes on to criticize ute fans for throwing a few things onto the court (something that has happened more than once in Provo.........). When he does manage to describe what is happening, Wrubell spends his time describing what Larry is doing wrong. Its unreal.

https://www.ksl.com/?nid=275

sancho
12-14-2017, 12:37 PM
This takes a minute to set up, so bear with me (Its really KSL's fault)

Download either of the files titled "BYU @ Utah 2nd half" and fast forward to the emery-taylor incident (pretty easy to find if you use ESPNs play by play, or just listen for wrubell to call out the 2 minutes left warning).

Wrubell and Durrant were sitting courtside for this game, but listening to them, you would have the idea that they were watching an entirely different game. Wrubell claims multiple times to not have seen the incident. Durrant watches it and refers to it as Emery catching Taylor with an elbow, but blames Taylor for antagonizing Fischer and Emery all game. Durrant further goes on to criticize ute fans for throwing a few things onto the court (something that has happened more than once in Provo.........). When he does manage to describe what is happening, Wrubell spends his time describing what Larry is doing wrong. Its unreal.

https://www.ksl.com/?nid=275

yq9gXFnlF0DG8

Brian
12-14-2017, 12:47 PM
I also enjoyed Emery claiming that he had been scratched by Taylor and posting a picture of scratches on his neck the next day, but if you go back to the game and look closely at his neck after the play there is nothing there. So apparently he went and scratched himself after the game to try to say that Taylor had done that to him.

Or maybe that 43 year old booster gave it to him.

Scratch
12-14-2017, 01:30 PM

Post of the day.

Scorcho
12-14-2017, 01:34 PM

10 points for Griffendor

Utebiquitous
12-14-2017, 01:40 PM
great post except the last two sentences. Now way. And no way does Larry K add him.

You're right Two Utes. I overreached a little didn't I. You gotta admit, it would be incredible irony.

Rocker Ute
12-14-2017, 01:47 PM
or maybe that 43 year old booster gave it to him.

zing!!!!

tooblue
12-14-2017, 02:20 PM

I don't think anyone here is a bad person. I'm even related to one or two posters. I'll bet I've met many of you, or at least a brother or sister of yours, as many of us went to the same high school. Heck, I even go to games when possible, and almost always watch the Utes on tv, unless the game conflicts with watching BYU or it can't be found on tv because it's on some network nobody gets. I'll admit, I had to learn to like watching BYU basketball. A sports bigamist, I grew up watching and loving BYU football and watching if not attending Utah basketball games, while taking only a cursory interest in BYU basketball. But that all really changed when Ute fans, family included, became insufferable upon Utah's inclusion in the PAC 12, and especially so when you condescend as you have in your post above.

USS Utah
12-14-2017, 03:51 PM

Let's go to the replay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H33AuAu9V5Q

Scorcho
12-14-2017, 03:52 PM
I don't think anyone here is a bad person. I'm even related to one or two posters. I'll bet I've met many of you, or at least a brother or sister of yours, as many of us went to the same high school. Heck, I even go to games when possible, and almost always watch the Utes on tv, unless the game conflicts with watching BYU or it can't be found on tv because it's on some network nobody gets. I'll admit, I had to learn to like watching BYU basketball. A sports bigamist, I grew up watching and loving BYU football and watching if not attending Utah basketball games, while taking only a cursory interest in BYU basketball. But that all really changed when Ute fans, family included, became insufferable upon Utah's inclusion in the PAC 12, and especially so when you condescend as you have in your post above.

everyone knows BYU fans are morally superior, we couldn't possibly hold up to their shining example of humility and graciousness

sheesh!

http://www.utahby5.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2307&stc=1

USS Utah
12-14-2017, 04:08 PM
Another vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I63V3-Dkwc

Scratch
12-14-2017, 04:18 PM
Another vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I63V3-Dkwc

The only possible takeaway from that video is that Larry Krystkowiak is a horrible, horrible person.

hostile
12-14-2017, 04:21 PM
The only possible takeaway from that video is that Larry Krystkowiak is a horrible, horrible person.
Completely out of control.

tooblue
12-14-2017, 04:22 PM
everyone knows BYU fans are morally superior, we couldn't possibly hold up to their shining example of humility and graciousness

I'm fully aware of the sanctimony that is prevalent in the BYU fan base. What I wasn't prepared for was the greater sanctimony of the Utah fan base. Now according North West Ute, that's all BYU's fault, because nothing is Utah's fault, or as we have learned, but is now I think being walked back, Emery's fault. Emery's actions were idiotic, it's unfortunate your head coach followed suit, but again that's who he is. I hope he somehow kept in check on Saturday.

tooblue
12-14-2017, 04:27 PM
Completely out of control.

His own words:

"... he wanted to end the BYU series partly because he was “protecting myself from myself.” He added, “I don’t know how I would come across with our players in the week leading up to the BYU game, maybe with a little bit of the toxin and venom that I have inside me. It puts me in a bit of a quandary.”

Scratch
12-14-2017, 04:31 PM
His own words:

"... he wanted to end the BYU series partly because he was “protecting myself from myself.” He added, “I don’t know how I would come across with our players in the week leading up to the BYU game, maybe with a little bit of the toxin and venom that I have inside me. It puts me in a bit of a quandary.”

Actually I'm pretty sure that's the exact opposite of being out of control. Specifically, he took the anger and frustration that he had and handled it in a way to be sure he stayed in control.

hostile
12-14-2017, 04:37 PM
I'm fully aware of the sanctimony that is prevalent in the BYU fan base. What I wasn't prepared for was the greater sanctimony of the Utah fan base. Now according North West Ute, that's all BYU's fault, because nothing is Utah's fault, or as we have learned, but is now I think being walked back, Emery's fault. Emery's actions were idiotic, it's unfortunate your head coach followed suit, but again that's who he is. I hope he somehow kept in check on Saturday.
How do you measure sanctimony?

If BYU were smart they would just get one of their players to yell at Krystkowiak to “sit the fuck down.” He would likely get thrown out (I bet they could get someone to buy a ticket for Nick Emery to sit behind Utah’s bench and yell it)

tooblue
12-14-2017, 04:37 PM
Actually I'm pretty sure that's the exact opposite of being out of control. Specifically, he took the anger and frustration that he had and handled it in a way to be sure he stayed in control.

That only happens after one has experienced being out of control, which he was.

tooblue
12-14-2017, 04:40 PM
How do you measure sanctimony?

If BYU were smart they would just get one of their players to yell at Krystkowiak to “sit the fuck down.” He would likely get thrown out (I bet they could get someone to buy a ticket for Nick Emery to sit behind Utah’s bench and yell it)

That's an interesting point: I wonder if Emery will be at the game?

hostile
12-14-2017, 04:41 PM
That's an interesting point: I wonder if Emery will be at the game?
Probably not. I heard he tweeted about getting someone to wear his jersey though.

USS Utah
12-14-2017, 04:46 PM
The face of evil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4E1R6Og8SA

Starting about 6:38, coach talks about himself as a player.

Mormon Red Death
12-14-2017, 07:03 PM
I . But that all really changed when Ute fans, family included, became insufferable upon Utah's inclusion in the PAC 12, and especially so when you condescend as you have in your post above.

Yeah baby pac12 for life!

Rocker Ute
12-14-2017, 07:07 PM

I hate to say it but you are right. We've all seen the video evidence and that was a man out of control. I'm convinced now that Emery is the real victim here, and that light swatting, as gentle as a kitten, was his only defense from Kodiak mauling him on the floor. Thank you Nick Emery for taking the fall in all of this and shining a light on the true character of Larry. I expect Chris Hill to fire him tomorrow.

Old Standing ute
12-15-2017, 02:53 PM
Any truth to the rumor that Emery has been acting as Cosmo this year? that dance video that went viral just shouts Nick Emery's footwork.?

Mormon Red Death
12-15-2017, 02:55 PM
Opening line Utah +6.5

Hot Lunch
12-16-2017, 06:24 AM

LMAO! That was awesome!

LA Ute
12-16-2017, 11:21 AM
I am either just getting older, or mellowing, or maybe a combination of both. I’m looking forward to tonight’s game for the fun of watching it. Maybe it’s because not much is at stake, but I don’t have that burning feeling in my gut that “We must beat these guys or it will just be a horrible evening.“ What is wrong with me?

Diehard Ute
12-16-2017, 11:29 AM
I am either just getting older, or mellowing, or maybe a combination of both. I’m looking forward to tonight’s game for the fun of watching it. Maybe it’s because not much is at stake, but I don’t have that burning feeling in my gut that “We must beat these guys or it will just be a horrible evening.“ What is wrong with me?

I don’t really have enough time or space to answer your question.

sancho
12-16-2017, 11:37 AM

I think part of it is knowing that neither team is really a tournament team. The only thing at stake is our win streak.

concerned
12-16-2017, 12:13 PM

I feel exactly the same way. In addition to the things you mention, i attribute it to my declining interest in college bb overall. With the exception of a frw conference games, i dont really care if i make it to a home game or not. I dont get that exited if we win or bummed if we lose. Totally opposite to my fb attitude.

LA Ute
12-16-2017, 01:07 PM
I don’t really have enough time or space to answer your question.

:rofl:

I think you should write an epic poem about it. You can do it -- a few lines at a time. I will be patient.

LA Ute
12-16-2017, 01:08 PM
I feel exactly the same way. In addition to the things you mention, i attribute it to my declining interest in college bb overall. With the exception of a frw conference games, i dont really care if i make it to a home game or not. I dont get that exited if we win or bummed if we lose. Totally opposite to my fb attitude.

It's true. The NBA's insistence on allowing one-and-dones, and separately, tons of outside money, have had a terrible impact.

Diehard Ute
12-16-2017, 02:23 PM
:rofl:

I think you should write an epic poem about it. You can do it -- a few lines at a time. I will be patient.

I’ve never been good at poetry. Not enough pictures.

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-16-2017, 07:03 PM
Sounds like Tillman is out with a sore foot. Stage is set, Coogs.

sancho
12-16-2017, 09:01 PM
Sounds like Tillman is out with a sore foot. Stage is set, Coogs.

That is a big loss.

sancho
12-16-2017, 09:29 PM
I'm losing a ton of sleep! Total whiff by the Utes.

Easily the best player on the floor so far tonight. Man, what a miss.

chrisrenrut
12-16-2017, 09:31 PM
Not good when we have Tyler Rawson trying to be our top offensive threat.

sancho
12-16-2017, 09:34 PM
Not good when we have Tyler Rawson trying to be our top offensive threat.

Without Seeley or Tillman, Rawson's gonna have to play all game.

We need to get Collette more action on offense.

Mormon Red Death
12-16-2017, 09:35 PM
Without Seeley or Tillman, Rawson's gonna have to play all game.

We need to get Collette more action on offense.Why not go johnson and Collette?

chrisrenrut
12-16-2017, 09:38 PM
"Just because you can't do that doesn't mean it's a violation!"

sancho
12-16-2017, 09:39 PM
Collette - never seen anyone so consistently get into foul trouble for nothing.

justaute
12-16-2017, 09:46 PM
My thoughts.

Our team blows, period, especially now without Tillman. Collette has no help defense and his footwork/step-overs can only work against young, overly eager players. Barefield had such a promising start, but just hasn’t done much as of late. Rawson…although a bit better than last year, can’t seem to perform against decent D1 opponents. A bunch of tall, slow, not-that-skilled big players.

chrisrenrut
12-16-2017, 09:46 PM
Biggest difference right now is were are shooting 2-13 from 3, while they are 5-10.

sancho
12-16-2017, 09:51 PM
Biggest difference right now is were are shooting 2-13 from 3, while they are 5-10.

Meanwhile, Collette is 3-4. He's our most efficient offense - should have at least 10 attempts per half.

SeattleUte
12-16-2017, 10:05 PM
Meanwhile, Collette is 3-4. He's our most efficient offense - should have at least 10 attempts per half.

Our biggest problem is subpar talent. Rawson a starter and our leading scorer in this game. Seriously? I’m sure these kids have character, or they wouldn’t beat any d1 teams. I admire their work ethic and grit. But we don’t have much ability. I was worried about an apocalyptic season. It looks like it will just be a losing season.

LA Ute
12-16-2017, 10:06 PM
Maybe the CBI is what we should hope for.

SeattleUte
12-16-2017, 10:09 PM
Maybe the CBI is what we should hope for.

All season I’ve been reading optimism here for an ncaa bid and thinking wtf is wrong with these guys. This is not a good team. I’ve been ignoring this season because I’ve been expecting mostly pain.

sancho
12-16-2017, 10:12 PM
All season I’ve been reading optimism here for an ncaa bid

Huh?

LA Ute
12-16-2017, 10:13 PM
All season I’ve been reading optimism here for an ncaa bid and thinking wtf is wrong with these guys. This is not a good team. I’ve been ignoring this season because I’ve been expecting mostly pain.

That we are much better with a true freshman on the floor, and suffer this badly in his absence, says a lot about our talent level.

SeattleUte
12-16-2017, 10:13 PM
Where is this year’s recruit from Michigan? Did he transfer?

justaute
12-16-2017, 10:14 PM

No optimism from me. I see "talent" as gradation of physical attributes on one end of the spectrum and on-court intelligence on the other. It's tough when a team does not register on this spectrum.

chrisrenrut
12-16-2017, 10:19 PM

Nice to see you paying attention so closely. Tillman is out with a foot injury. I love how you come on critical of what you think the opinion is most of the board, when you obviously haven't even read two pages back in this thread.

LA Ute
12-16-2017, 10:21 PM
Nice to see you paying attention so closely. Tillman is out with a foot injury. I love how you come on critical of what you think the opinion is most of the board, when you obviously haven't even read two pages back in this thread.

SU dislikes Krysko.

LA Ute
12-16-2017, 10:22 PM
Hawes needs to eat a few sandwiches.

chrisrenrut
12-16-2017, 10:23 PM

Steve Lavin, doing color for our game at Butler, said we would be in the big dance. I rolled my eyes so hardI think I sprained a facial muscle. Color guys are prone to hyperbole.

Mormon Red Death
12-16-2017, 10:26 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkHe hurt his foot.. Late scratch

LA Ute
12-16-2017, 10:29 PM
Both our big men, Collette and Johnson, want to dribble the ball when they have it under the basket. That basic fundamental mistake — which should not be made after the 10th grade — has resulted in a turnover every time they have done it....

sancho
12-16-2017, 10:30 PM
Both our big men, Collette and Johnson, want to dribble the ball when they have the ball under the basket. That has resulted in a turnover every time they have done it....

Yeah, but Collette is now 5-7. Going through him in the post remains our best option.

chrisrenrut
12-16-2017, 10:31 PM
Both our big men, Collette and Johnson, want to dribble the ball when they have the ball under the basket. That has resulted in a turnover every time they have done it....

Yes, exactly right. They both do much better when they catch and make a quick move.

LA Ute
12-16-2017, 10:31 PM
Yeah, but Collette is now 5-7. Going through him in the post remains our best option.

No doubt. He just needs to stop trying to dribble the ball in traffic under the hoop.

chrisrenrut
12-16-2017, 10:32 PM
We didn't make up any ground with Childs out. Dang.

Defensive rebounding is becoming an issue for us.

Mormon Red Death
12-16-2017, 10:33 PM
Can someone explain why we have bibbins on bryant?

LA Ute
12-16-2017, 10:34 PM
We didn't make up any ground with Childs out. Dang.

Defensive rebounding is becoming an issue for us.

Yes, there is a clear lack of effort. The wheels are starting to come off now anyway.

LA Ute
12-16-2017, 10:37 PM
By the way, am I the only one around here thinks that where is decision to cancel the 2016 game was an unforced error? Nothing good has come of it, it seems to me.

sancho
12-16-2017, 10:38 PM
Yes, there is a clear lack of effort. The wheels are starting to come off now anyway.

I'm with SU - I think the issue is talent more than effort. This is the first time in history that BYU has more athleticism than Utah.

justaute
12-16-2017, 10:43 PM
I'm with SU - I think the issue is talent more than effort. This is the first time in history that BYU has more athleticism than Utah.

Well, Krystko and his staff recruited these kids, just like the ones who transferred. Still not impressed with our recruiting ability.

SeattleUte
12-16-2017, 10:44 PM
Did I claim to be paying attention? I said the contrary.

SeattleUte
12-16-2017, 10:51 PM
I’m not impressed that he’s in his what eighth year and we have a team with Big Sky level talent in the starting lineup. I get discouraged when I see good players transfer from our program that is so perpetually thin on ability. Stand on your principles, yeah, but ultimately you need players. I am partial to coaches with such all consuming intensity and passion for their jobs that they drive themselves nuts. I don’t get that feeling from him. I can’t stand how when they’re not in the NCAA playoffs the team just mails it in and gets annihlaited in the NIT. That speaks volumes. Our team seems to live hand to mouth. I recognized we’ll never recruit like Arizona. I defend Whit on that ground. But I don’t see any system or program for compensating for that like I did with Majerus and do with Whit. It’s just one really good JUCO or foreign player at a time, if we’re lucky.

sancho
12-16-2017, 10:52 PM
Well, Krystko and his staff recruited these kids, just like the ones who transferred. Still not impressed with our recruiting ability.

I think Jayce and Tillman are the only two players on the team who were big recruiting wins. Everything else was cobbled together out of transfers.

Next season, we will actually have a handful of players who were somewhat heavily recruited.

SeattleUte
12-16-2017, 10:54 PM
This is absolutely accurate and well stated except big recruiting wins is a little exaggerated as those players would be maybe not even fall back options for Arizona. But yes, hey, we’re Utah. That means you’ve got to get the Jimmie Sotos and Mark Jacksons who have tons of character and can be coached up a lot and share the coach’s crazy devotion to the game.

LA Ute
12-16-2017, 10:58 PM
I’m not impressed that he’s in his what eighth year and we have a team with Big Sky level talent in the starting lineup. I get discouraged when I see good players transfer from our program that is so perpetually thin on ability. Stand on your principles, yeah, but ultimately you need players. I am partial to coaches with such all consuming and intensity passion for their jobs that they drive themselves nuts. I don’t get that feeling from him. I can’t stand how when they’re not in the NCAA playoffs the team just mails it in and gets annihlaited in the NIT. That speaks volumes. Our team seems to live hand to mouth. I recognized we’ll never recruit like Arizona. I defend Whit on that ground. But I don’t see any system or program for compensating for that like I did with Majerus and do with Whit. It’s just one really good JUCO or foreign player at a time, if we’re lucky.

You make a lot of good points. What I don’t understand about you is why you insist on comparing all basketball coaches to Majerus, but will not allow Whitt to be compared to Meyer.

Anyway, Larry is not perfect. Unlike your approach to Whit, I don’t think Larry is above criticism and I’m not going to personally attack anyone who criticizes him. He made a bad mistake in canceling the 2015 game, and he has not been able to recruit well. The shoe money that is corrupting recruiting in our major rivals (think Arizona) may have something to do with that. But results are results.

chrisrenrut
12-16-2017, 11:00 PM
I think Jayce and Tillman are the only two players on the team who were big recruiting wins. Everything else was cobbled together out of transfers.

Next season, we will actually have a handful of players who were somewhat heavily recruited.

Yep, in fact, most of next years recruits are tearing it up on their respective teams this year. I'm glad they are signed during the early period, and not just committed. I'm a excited for next year, and especially for the year after that.

Losing a couple of guys last year that should be here now hurts a lot. And Larry is responsibility for that, either for recruiting the "turds", or not managing them in a way that promoted their success and longevity here.

LA Ute
12-16-2017, 11:02 PM
Did we even try to recruit Childs? I doubt he went to BYU because of shoe money. Seems like a miss to me.

justaute
12-16-2017, 11:05 PM
And, although I'm sure Jayce is a really nice kid and a hard worker, as a 4* recruit, I'm still not that impressed with him.

Scorcho
12-16-2017, 11:05 PM
Did we even try to recruit Childs? I doubt he went to BYU because of shoe money. Seems like a miss to me.

well that was no fun, I don't mind the loss, but it felt like we were never in it

SeattleUte
12-16-2017, 11:08 PM
LA, Whit, not Meyer, coached the best Utah season in history. Whit has had Meyer-like success at Utah. Meyer was our coach for two years. You’ve seen how he did with another coach’s recruits in the MWC, and at Florida and Ohio State. You don’t know how he’d be with this Ute program in the PAC 12 over the long term. Anyway, when LK gives us a season for the ages like Whit did for us in 2008, he’ll buy at least a decade of goodwill from me. Comparing Meyer to Majerus is abusurd Majerus coached at Utah for many years. Utah was where he made his reputation and legacy. We were a stepping stone for Meyer. I have no problem with that, by the way. I just think that Meyer has completely warped Ute fans’ expectations and perspectives. Meyer was Mary Poppins.

Mormon Red Death
12-16-2017, 11:15 PM
Byu shot 51% from field and 50% from the 3. Utah shot 22%. That's the difference. Not having Tillman was rough. We could have put him in bryant or childs.

We will finish 6-8ish in the conference.

I see wins
2x vs wazzu & Colorado (buffs are very bad)
Ucla at home
Washington at home
Cal at home

Maybe at oregon st

Solon
12-16-2017, 11:16 PM
Byu shot 51% from field and 50% from the 3. Utah shot 22%. That's the difference. Not having Tillman was rough. We could have put him in bryant or childs.

We will finish 6-8ish in the conference.

I see wins
2x vs wazzu & Colorado (buffs are very bad)
Ucla at home
Washington at home
Cal at home

Maybe at oregon st

Gotta figure out how to score.

SeattleUte
12-16-2017, 11:17 PM
MRD, I bet you $100 we don’t win six games.

chrisrenrut
12-16-2017, 11:17 PM
Our team this year is only going to be good if we shoot a good percentage from outside. Shooting less than 20% from 3 this game while attempting 22, while BYU shot 50% while attempting 20, it's remarkable that we didn't lose by more.

Having Tillman and Seeley probably wouldn't have made much of a difference. Maybe we defend the 3 a bit better, and take less 3's, but neither of them have been consistent enough for me to have much confidence in them being the difference makers in this game.

sancho
12-16-2017, 11:23 PM
MRD, I bet you $100 we don’t win six games.

I think we'll get there. We play 9 at home, and the Pac-12 isn't particularly strong.

sancho
12-16-2017, 11:25 PM

I think we all agree he was a miss. Hurts because we could have had him. He would have fit so well on our team, too. I'm sure coach has been kicking himself over Childs.

justaute
12-16-2017, 11:28 PM
<Mistakenly edited by SU; please disregard>

Mormon Red Death
12-16-2017, 11:31 PM
MRD, I bet you $100 we don’t win six games. We count the tournament?

SeattleUte
12-16-2017, 11:33 PM
LA I dind’t mean to speak for Justaute. Please fix it.

<What Seattle Ute tried to say, in response to someone:>

Whit’s team in 2008 wasn't mostly recruited by Meyer who left in 2004. That’s just BS. How many players at our level of recruiting from any class do you think become really good?

SeattleUte
12-16-2017, 11:37 PM
Sure.

Mormon Red Death
12-16-2017, 11:39 PM
Sure.I assume this is a response to me then ok. I have the utes over 5.5 wins in conference and tournament play

SeattleUte
12-16-2017, 11:42 PM
MRD it’s a bet. I hope I’m wrong.

LA Ute
12-16-2017, 11:48 PM
I knew we'd struggle this season but we looked worse tonight than I thought we were. I'll rely on the adage, "You're never as bad as your worst game or as good as your best game," and hope it applies here. That said, I think we might have some long nights this season.

LA Ute
12-16-2017, 11:51 PM
LA, Whit, not Meyer, coached the best Utah season in history. Whit has had Meyer-like success at Utah. Meyer was our coach for two years. You’ve seen how he did with another coach’s recruits in the MWC, and at Florida and Ohio State. You don’t know how he’d be with this Ute program in the PAC 12 over the long term. Anyway, when LK gives us a season for the ages like Whit did for us in 2008, he’ll buy at least a decade of goodwill from me. Comparing Meyer to Majerus is abusurd Majerus coached at Utah for many years. Utah was where he made his reputation and legacy. We were a stepping stone for Meyer. I have no problem with that, by the way. I just think that Meyer has completely warped Ute fans’ expectations and perspectives. Meyer was Mary Poppins.

Just don't compare every Ute basketball coach to Majerus. You'll never be happy if you do.

As for Whit, I am a skeptic and think he has probably hit his plateau. I hope I am wrong. I still think he's the horse we need to ride until he doesn't want to coach at Utah any more.

DrumNFeather
12-16-2017, 11:54 PM
I knew we'd struggle this season but we looked worse tonight than I thought we were. I'll rely on the adage, "You're never as bad as your worst game or as good as your best game," and hope it applies here. That said, I think we might have some long nights this season.Yeah. Maybe. BYU is tough at home and they've been in a lather about this game for over a year. Perhaps we just lost tonight and it doesn't mean anything.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Scorcho
12-16-2017, 11:59 PM
Yeah. Maybe. BYU is tough at home and they've been in a lather about this game for over a year. Perhaps we just lost tonight and it doesn't mean anything.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

except we were pathetic against UNLV, pedestrian against Butler And Ole Miss is bad.

UtahsMrSports
12-17-2017, 12:08 AM
Ill field the question on childs....

We were too late. We chased three higher rates 4's that year and missed on all 3. Childs would have committed but took BYU's offer with our uncertainty. Though nothing concrete, the fbi probe sure makes those misses more suspect.

As for our season hopes, I will stick by what I've said....with a healthy donnie t, we are a fringe tourney team. Without him, we can be decent.

Utebiquitous
12-17-2017, 12:09 AM
A couple of thoughts/reactions.

To the questions on Yoeli Childs. Yoeli was a Ute until the day he committed to BYU. We slow played him. I forget who the other 4s were we recruited that year (because we didn't get them). It was just a matter of he got tired of waiting. I don't know that I can blame Utah but he's definitely a case of you can't measure heart. He would really help this team.

As for tonight. i agree with those who note Tillman missing. We missed him but BYU missed Nixon. He's a similar player for them with a better outside shot. I'd still take Tillman - especially long term, but both teams were missing key players.

LA - you'll hate me for this but I have to return to two things that continue to frustrate me about Coach K and the staff. The first is defense. Coach Majerus virtually erased the number one and number two scoring options with amazing consistency. Utah rarely does this under Coach K. It drives me nuts. Elijah Bryant is a solid player - BYUs best by quite a stretch. He goes for 29. It's just unacceptable to me.

The second is player development. Who's better this year? Rawson might be. We'll see how he does in Pac play. A simple example. Look at Johnson's free throw shooting. How in the hell do coaches not change that motion? Why is Collette worse this year? Why is Barefield the same - completely inconsistent. I know that the players have to take a lot of responsibility but it's frustrating to see so little player improvement between and during seasons.

A little bit of venting because I don't like losing to the rival. My optimism isn't much higher than Seattle's. This is a .500 team in the Pac-12.

LA Ute
12-17-2017, 12:48 AM

To the questions on Yoeli Childs. Yoeli was a Ute until the day he committed to BYU. We slow played him. I forget who the other 4s were we recruited that year (because we didn't get them). It was just a matter of he got tired of waiting. I don't know that I can blame Utah but he's definitely a case of you can't measure heart. He would really help this team.

As for tonight. i agree with those who note Tillman missing. We missed him but BYU missed Nixon. He's a similar player for them with a better outside shot. I'd still take Tillman - especially long term, but both teams were missing key players.

LA - you'll hate me for this but I have to return to two things that continue to frustrate me about Coach K and the staff. The first is defense. Coach Majerus virtually erased the number one and number two scoring options with amazing consistency. Utah rarely does this under Coach K. It drives me nuts. Elijah Bryant is a solid player - BYUs best by quite a stretch. He goes for 29. It's just unacceptable to me.

The second is player development. Who's better this year? Rawson might be. We'll see how he does in Pac play. A simple example. Look at Johnson's free throw shooting. How in the hell do coaches not change that motion? Why is Collette worse this year? Why is Barefield the same - completely inconsistent. I know that the players have to take a lot of responsibility but it's frustrating to see so little player improvement between and during seasons.

A little bit of venting because I don't like losing to the rival. My optimism isn't much higher than Seattle's. This is a .500 team in the Pac-12.

I don’t mind criticisms of Larry, ‘biq. I like him and still think he was a good hire, but he has disappointed in several ways. End of game strategy and player motivation are a couple. I thought he was good at developing bigs (Washburn, Poeltl), but Collette may end up being the one Krysko whiffs on. He’s got good players coming in, so I’ll just hope.

LA Ute
12-17-2017, 08:15 AM
Aw, we got beat. Badly. By our rival. Congrats to them. And, as predicted, the sun rose this morning.

UTEopia
12-17-2017, 08:52 AM

I think part of the problem is the culture of the current team. We start 4 guys, 3 have been in the program 2 years and 1, 1 year. Bealer has been in the program longer. I think back to what LK did with Loveridge, Tucker and Brandon Taylor. They all progressed significantly on both ends of the court. I believe Rawson has improved a little as has Johnson. I think we tend to look at a 4* and think the guy is going to be a star, but sometimes they are just guys. We have had several 4* football recruits over the years who are just guys. Unfortunately, I don't think this culture will change with Barefield playing a significant role. He is just not interested in defending.

NorthwestUteFan
12-17-2017, 09:01 AM
I hadn't watched any byu games this year, but this new 'defense' thing they are trying is a new look for P-Town. Same Rose offense with rotations and kicking out or in to open sharpshooters, but on defense they are vastly improved.

Heath Shroyer is a homerun hire, and his focus on smart basketball and proper rotations on Defense has made the cougars a much better team than we have seen in the past.

Oh well, they need to get one every five years or so. Good win cougars.

UTEopia
12-17-2017, 09:01 AM
Our bench shot 2 for 10 and was outscored by BYU's bench 22 - 8. I think Tillman helps us in that category. Our bench is out rebounded 10 -5. He helps us there as well. All is not lost.

NorthwestUteFan
12-17-2017, 09:07 AM
The wheels are coming off for the program this season. It is difficult to watch. I know we are a far better team with Donnie Tillman, and will be better with Chris Seeley. But we need them badly right now. I hope they return by February.

Next year we have what may turn out to be the best recruiting class ever. Top 5 certainly. Riley Battin, Timmy Allen, and Neseem Gaskin will be the real deal, and will be a huge boost to the program. But I am worried about the team this season and fear we are looking at a 12-win season.

I fear we have regressed to our late-2000s mean, and struggle to stretch beyond it.

Mormon Red Death
12-17-2017, 10:13 AM
MRD it’s a bet. I hope I’m wrong.I hope you are wrong too. My bet is more on the other teams being bad

SeattleUte
12-17-2017, 07:57 PM
Good god. If what you all are saying about Childs is true, our coaches are fools. He was an ESPN four star rated the 53d best player in the country, and we let BYU have him? What kind of hubris caused them to string him along and go head to head with Arizona and UCLA for something better. Now look at us with Rawson in the starting lineup.

sancho
12-17-2017, 08:29 PM
Good god. If what you all are saying about Childs is true, our coaches are fools. He was an ESPN four star rated the 53d best player in the country, and we let BYU have him? What kind of hubris caused them to string him along and go head to head with Arizona and UCLA for something better. Now look at us with Rawson in the starting lineup.

It was a miss, but Markennen was not the typical "go against Arizona" situation for us. We thought we had him due to the Hanno connection. We had a Tillie connection, too.

Still, seeing what we have, you take Childs and still pursue the others.

UtahsMrSports
12-17-2017, 09:01 PM

This childs thing has become a run away train and desperately needs some context....

-first and foremost.....nobody cares about ESPN basketball rankings. The effort that goes into those is less than sincere.

-let's go back in time to 2015. We had just had an undersized but physical 4 man struggle tremendously in league play. The thought of bringing in another wasn't ideal. The same fans now calling it a mistake would have barbecued Larry in real time (not that it matters in any way).

-we had two young 4s going into their sophomore year. It wasn't a position of need in the class of 2016, and so they tried for a few home runs and struck out. Nobody could have predicted at that point that Kuz would bounce for the league when he did. Also, nobody predicted that Chapman wouldn't be up for the Larry K style and bounce. If one or both of those guys plays yesterday, we win and no one thinks twice about this.

Also, they genuinely believed they had LM. didn't work out.

-Yoeli did this against Tyler Rawson, who Ute fans have a ridiculous hate affair with. Who is to say he would be anything great in the Pac-12?

Utebiquitous
12-17-2017, 09:24 PM
UMS -
What a huge stretch to assume we win last night with Kuzma or Chapman on the court - neither of whom came anywhere near to their potential as Utes. If you've been paying attention to what they've been saying both are critical of player development at the U.

I completely agree with your context on Loveridge/Childs. I know we were worried about them being the same player and I agree with your final thought of Childs doing well against Rawson. I don't think he'd be a significant player in the Pac-12. I do think even a little above average would help us.

I also don't agree with those who believe our staff developed Taylor and Loveridge well. Taylor tailed off significantly his senior year. Loveridge turned himself into a three-point specialist and nothing else. I watched him work and he worked hard on his own. I rarely saw a coach working with him. He needed to develop an all court game - better ball-handling, better in the mid-range and in the post. I think he could have become a poor man's Jae Crowder but he had no one on the staff guiding him to that end.

I'm a broken record but I think defense and player development are huge issues for this staff.

sancho
12-17-2017, 09:39 PM
UMS -
What a huge stretch to assume we win last night with Kuzma or Chapman on the court - neither of whom came anywhere near to their potential as Utes.

Kuzma was first team all-conference. And he was a mess as a freshman. If you are going to criticize our player development when it misses, you have to give credit when it hits.

UtahsMrSports
12-17-2017, 09:45 PM
UMS -
What a huge stretch to assume we win last night with Kuzma or Chapman on the court - neither of whom came anywhere near to their potential as Utes. If you've been paying attention to what they've been saying both are critical of player development at the U.

I completely agree with your context on Loveridge/Childs. I know we were worried about them being the same player and I agree with your final thought of Childs doing well against Rawson. I don't think he'd be a significant player in the Pac-12. I do think even a little above average would help us.

I also don't agree with those who believe our staff developed Taylor and Loveridge well. Taylor tailed off significantly his senior year. Loveridge turned himself into a three-point specialist and nothing else. I watched him work and he worked hard on his own. I rarely saw a coach working with him. He needed to develop an all court game - better ball-handling, better in the mid-range and in the post. I think he could have become a poor man's Jae Crowder but he had no one on the staff guiding him to that end.

I'm a broken record but I think defense and player development are huge issues for this staff.

My comp for Childs was Reyes, I should have been more specific.

I would love to know what Kuzma has said negatively about Utah player development. I have heard him do nothing but praise it.

I frankly couldn't care less what Brekkott thinks of the player development here.

Your comment about Kuzma not fulfilling his potential as a ute is nearly moose level trolling........

SeattleUte
12-17-2017, 10:42 PM
Dismissal of the ESPN ratings for recruits is pure apologetics. On what conceivable basis have posters here been praising LK’s current class if not those or rivals? The fact is that the teams that tend to recruit the players highest rated by ESPN or Rivals tend to be the most successful. Utah can’t afford to kiss off an in-state player of that caliber based on position. Childs has not been a surprise success.

sancho
12-17-2017, 11:20 PM
Dismissal of the ESPN ratings for recruits is pure apologetics. On what conceivable basis have posters here been praising LK’s current class if not those or rivals?

I think the praise is based on the fact that the incoming guys have strong offer lists.

Childs was like Seljaas. We could have had him, we passed, he went to Provo, and no one thought twice about it. Turns out, we were right not to offer Seljaas and wrong not to offer Childs. I don't know that we really need to dwell on this.

Larry's job is at stake with the new recruiting class. By all accounts, it is a good one. If he succeeds with it, we're all happy. If he can't get it done with this class, he's probably going to be asked to leave.

UtahsMrSports
12-18-2017, 12:15 AM
Dismissal of the ESPN ratings for recruits is pure apologetics. On what conceivable basis have posters here been praising LK’s current class if not those or rivals? The fact is that the teams that tend to recruit the players highest rated by ESPN or Rivals tend to be the most successful. Utah can’t afford to kiss off an in-state player of that caliber based on position. Childs has not been a surprise success.

247>rivals>>>>>>ESPN when it comes to college hoops recruiting. I don't know a single person who would ever highlight an ESPN rating (I say that knowing ESPN gave Tillman 4 stars when others gave him 3), unless they were trying to spin. Ill spare everyone the long rant but in person eyeball evaluation is not always among the criteria for ESPN.

Yoeli is a great example. He went from top 50 to off the top 100 list completely to back in a number of times as a prep. Nobody with a credible system lets that happen.

Sancho is right, its a pointless discussion. I just wanted to provide some context.

Applejack
12-18-2017, 08:15 AM
By the way, am I the only one around here thinks that where is decision to cancel the 2016 game was an unforced error? Nothing good has come of it, it seems to me.

Couldn't let this pass without a hearty LOL! Great troll, LA.

justaute
12-18-2017, 09:07 AM
To summarize:
- LK is not very good at identifying and recruiting talent, sans a few exceptions. (e.g. Jokl)
- LK is average at player development.
- Not a particularly good X's and O's coach, either.

Anything else? :)

Applejack
12-18-2017, 09:31 AM
To summarize:
- LK is not very good at identifying and recruiting talent, sans a few exceptions. (e.g. Jokl)
- LK is average at player development.
- Not a particularly good X's and O's coach, either.

Anything else? :)

I'm not in love with Larry, but to think #2, that he doesn't develop players very well, is strange. In the past three years he has had 3 players that were not very highly recruited drafted in the first round of the draft. Show me another coach that has had that kind of success developing players. I think for Delon we were far and away his best offer; for Poetl we beat Cal for him and Arizona sniffed around him; and for Kuzma, I heard that UConn was interested and Mizzou, but I'm not sure how realistic those "offers" were.

Criticize Larry all you want, and for some things (Xs and Os) I think he definitely deserves the criticism. But I think he's a pretty good developer of talent overall.

Two Utes
12-18-2017, 09:46 AM

No shit. Great post. Seattle you're trolling as much as True Bloo does

Two Utes
12-18-2017, 09:53 AM

But I will agree with you here. They considered Child a "tweener". They obviously failed to recognize his length which you can easily see when he plays. He plays much bigger than his height. He's a better local than all three of the lone peak kids (yes he's better than Mika) and every other local who went to BYU or Utah in quite some time.

It is hubris. The local recruiters are extremely critical of the local kids. A huge whiff here.

Two Utes
12-18-2017, 09:55 AM
This childs thing has become a run away train and desperately needs some context....

-first and foremost.....nobody cares about ESPN basketball rankings. The effort that goes into those is less than sincere.

-let's go back in time to 2015. We had just had an undersized but physical 4 man struggle tremendously in league play. The thought of bringing in another wasn't ideal. The same fans now calling it a mistake would have barbecued Larry in real time (not that it matters in any way).

-we had two young 4s going into their sophomore year. It wasn't a position of need in the class of 2016, and so they tried for a few home runs and struck out. Nobody could have predicted at that point that Kuz would bounce for the league when he did. Also, nobody predicted that Chapman wouldn't be up for the Larry K style and bounce. If one or both of those guys plays yesterday, we win and no one thinks twice about this.

Also, they genuinely believed they had LM. didn't work out.

-Yoeli did this against Tyler Rawson, who Ute fans have a ridiculous hate affair with. Who is to say he would be anything great in the Pac-12?

But he's not undersized due to his length, which you can easily see, but our coaches missed that and considered him a tweener.

Rose isn't even coaching half the time and he's a lazy recruiter. He just has kids fall into his lap. And we let Childs fall into his lap.

Two Utes
12-18-2017, 10:11 AM
I'm not in love with Larry, but to think #2, that he doesn't develop players very well, is strange. In the past three years he has had 3 players that were not very highly recruited drafted in the first round of the draft. Show me another coach that has had that kind of success developing players. I think for Delon we were far and away his best offer; for Poetl we beat Cal for him and Arizona sniffed around him; and for Kuzma, I heard that UConn was interested and Mizzou, but I'm not sure how realistic those "offers" were.

Criticize Larry all you want, and for some things (Xs and Os) I think he definitely deserves the criticism. But I think he's a pretty good developer of talent overall.

So, you think having three straight players (all not big time recruits) go in the first round of NBA draft the past three years is evidence of player development? What a silly argument, Applejack.

This year we don't have a wing/guard(s) scorer who can get us buckets. Our best three point threat is Rawson. Our best energy off the bench are two guys who were injured. Yeah, these things make us an average basketball team. We need some wings/guards who can score and we need more from a bench, which we currently don't have.

Larry K really needs to realize that he has to fix these problems and get some good recruits. Oh, wait . . . I guess he has.

Scratch
12-18-2017, 10:22 AM

Yoeli's best offer was BYU. He had one from ASU early, but it disappeared pretty quickly. He was doing everything he could to drum up some better offers, but couldn't do so. I put way more stock into what all of those coaches thought about him at the time than I do in what ESPN's recruiting guys had to say about him.

Two Utes
12-18-2017, 10:23 AM
So, you think having three straight players (all not big time recruits) go in the first round of NBA draft the past three years is evidence of player development? What a silly argument, Applejack.

This year we don't have a wing/guard(s) scorer who can get us buckets. Our best three point threat is Rawson. Our best energy off the bench are two guys who were injured. Yeah, these things make us an average basketball team. We need some wings/guards who can score and we need more from a bench, which we currently don't have.

Larry K really needs to realize that he has to fix these problems and get some good recruits. Oh, wait . . . I guess he has.

And in other news, a starting guard for NC State was suspended for conduct in violation of the athlete code of conduct after NC State lost to UNC Greensboro

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/nc-state-guard-markell-johnson-suspended-for-unspecified-conduct-violation/17193657/

Looks like a player culture at NC State that isn't very good. Do we know anybody who is on that team?

Two Utes
12-18-2017, 10:27 AM
Yoeli's best offer was BYU. He had one from ASU early, but it disappeared pretty quickly. He was doing everything he could to drum up some better offers, but couldn't do so. I put way more stock into what all of those coaches thought about him at the time than I do in what ESPN's recruiting guys had to say about him.

Good points. But he is a local and our coaches jobs are to identify the best kids locally (because they are they ones who are most likely going to accept an offer to come to Utah--particularly nonmormons.) We didn't do that with Childs. Instead we did exactly what you said we did--follow the crowd. And we ended up with Jokl. Big time whiff. No other way to put it.

Scratch
12-18-2017, 11:04 AM
Good points. But he is a local and our coaches jobs are to identify the best kids locally (because they are they ones who are most likely going to accept an offer to come to Utah--particularly nonmormons.) We didn't do that with Childs. Instead we did exactly what you said we did--follow the crowd. And we ended up with Jokl. Big time whiff. No other way to put it.

Oh I agree, it was a huge whiff, I was just saying that the fact that ESPN had him rated very highly really doesn't move the needle much in terms of indicating that he was an obvious can't-miss talent or something like that. But the U definitely messed up their evaluation.

Scratch
12-18-2017, 11:05 AM
And in other news, a starting guard for NC State was suspended for conduct in violation of the athlete code of conduct after NC State lost to UNC Greensboro

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/nc-state-guard-markell-johnson-suspended-for-unspecified-conduct-violation/17193657/

Looks like a player culture at NC State that isn't very good. Do we know anybody who is on that team?

LOL. Shocking. Great catch.

Applejack
12-18-2017, 04:09 PM

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not. But since I give everyone the benefit of the doubt, :cheers:

Two Utes
12-18-2017, 04:13 PM
I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not. But since I give everyone the benefit of the doubt, :cheers:

I was being sarcastic. K and his staff clearly develop players.

justaute
12-18-2017, 05:13 PM
Hey, I was just summarizing what's been said, hence the smiley face.

UBlender
12-18-2017, 09:42 PM
But he's not undersized due to his length, which you can easily see, but our coaches missed that and considered him a tweener.

Rose isn't even coaching half the time and he's a lazy recruiter. He just has kids fall into his lap. And we let Childs fall into his lap.

I did get a kick out of watching the game Saturday and during one timeout the camera was on BYU's huddle where Shroyer was drawing things up on the clipboard while Rose stood the side like the Smithers to his Mr Burns. Is Shroyer LDS? If so, he's probably their next head coach, right? May as well be the head coach already, it seems.

UBlender
12-18-2017, 09:50 PM

I was always intrigued by Childs, but I'd be lying if I said I ever called for Utah to offer him in real time. In hindsight it was clearly a mistake and even though Utah was chasing several big fish at his position they probably should have gone ahead and taken him and then just redshirted him for Markannen's one (hypothetical) year in the program.*

I did always feel that Utah overlooked McEwen up at Utah State who I believe would have come to Utah in a heartbeat. I don't know if he'd have been a high level PAC 12 player but I am confident he'd be better than several of the guards that have been on the roster last year and this year. It does feel like Utah is in a rut where we are either conceding local kids to BYU or overlooking their talent (or both).

*Hard as it is to believe, two years ago Utah appeared to have a very stable roster that was well-stocked with talent and open scholarships were precious so I can see why Utah would be reluctant to take Childs AND one of the big guns they were chasing at the same position.

LA Ute
12-19-2017, 09:03 AM
When you're driving around or working out, listen to this podcast of an ESPN 700 interview with Ben Criddle. His childlike wonder over the Grimes hire is simply adorable. I promise this will make you smile.

Ben Criddle - Former BYU Cornerback and ESPN 960 Host - 12-14-17

http://api.spreaker.com/download/episode/13588005/ben_criddle_12_14_17.mp3

Two Utes
12-19-2017, 10:14 AM
I did get a kick out of watching the game Saturday and during one timeout the camera was on BYU's huddle where Shroyer was drawing things up on the clipboard while Rose stood the side like the Smithers to his Mr Burns. Is Shroyer LDS? If so, he's probably their next head coach, right? May as well be the head coach already, it seems.

He's not LDS and he doesn't have that LDS personality like Dave Rice. He's fiery. Very unlikely he is the next coach and a real chance he becomes a head assistant somewhere else that will pay him a lot more given what he is accomplishing this year.

I can't emphasize enough the fact that Schroyer's presence demonstrates the lack of coaching on that team prior to his arrival. The last couple of years were mostly a joke. Five white guys running and gunning and half assing it on defense. It simply just wasn't a recipe for success. These are the type of kids who will accept structure and coaching if it is forceful and demanding. They are showing it this year.

This year is a complete indictment of Rose and the rest of that coaching staff. Cougar boosters who are closely following will not deny this.

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-19-2017, 10:45 AM
He's not LDS and he doesn't have that LDS personality like Dave Rice. He's fiery. Very unlikely he is the next coach and a real chance he becomes a head assistant somewhere else that will pay him a lot more given what he is accomplishing this year.

I can't emphasize enough the fact that Schroyer's presence demonstrates the lack of coaching on that team prior to his arrival. The last couple of years were mostly a joke. Five white guys running and gunning and half assing it on defense. It simply just wasn't a recipe for success. These are the type of kids who will accept structure and coaching if it is forceful and demanding. They are showing it this year.

This year is a complete indictment of Rose and the rest of that coaching staff. Cougar boosters who are closely following will not deny this.

BYU requires that the head coach be LDS. So unless he converts, he won't be a head coach at BYU. BYU fans are worried that Utah State fires Duryea at the end of the year and hires Schroyer.

concerned
12-19-2017, 10:46 AM
BYU requires that the head coach be LDS. So unless he converts, he won't be a head coach at BYU. BYU fans are worried that Utah State fires Duryea at the end of the year and hires Schroyer.

this was the reason Schroyer left for Wyoming the first time around, wasn't it?

Scorcho
12-19-2017, 10:52 AM
When you're driving around or working out, listen to this podcast of an ESPN 700 interview with Ben Criddle. His childlike wonder over the Grimes hire is simply adorable. I promise this will make you smile.

Ben Criddle - Former BYU Cornerback and ESPN 960 Host - 12-14-17

http://api.spreaker.com/download/episode/13588005/ben_criddle_12_14_17.mp3

he actually worked the "kick against the pricks" scripture into his Grimes tongue fondling

maybe he'll be good or maybe not, but he's been an offensive line coach since 1998 and apparently he was so highly thought if that nobody in those 19 years thought he should be promoted to OC?

LA Ute
12-19-2017, 01:52 PM
he actually worked the "kick against the pricks" scripture into his Grimes tongue fondling

maybe he'll be good or maybe not, but he's been an offensive line coach since 1998 and apparently he was so highly thought if that nobody in those 19 years thought he should be promoted to OC?

Hey, just because he has never called a D1 play in his life doesn't mean he can't start doing it very well now.

Brian
12-19-2017, 02:11 PM
That interview was an 'experience'.
Thanks LA, good times.

I always enjoy the Norm Chow interviews on 1280, and he expressed some pretty big concerns in particular about an OLine coach calling plays. Huge learning curve in his mind.

Cue the 'Kalani and Geoff are coming to town' boys.

tooblue
12-19-2017, 02:50 PM

That is how he has always coached, regardless the assistants on his staff. Assistants have specific in game responsibilities and Rose let's them call their plays, or to set the defense based on the circumstances, based on the game plan leading up to the contest. In style he coaches like some head football coaches do. He's 314-113, .735 W-L% over thirteen seasons. He's 13-6 against Utah.

SoCalPat
12-20-2017, 12:02 PM
Why isn't anyone bringing up Makol Mawein? Getting decent minutes at Kansas State, averaging 6.3 PPG and 3.5 RPG in about 17 MPG. Also shooting 77 percent from the field. He's not an all-league player by any stretch, but what's our rationale in letting him walk?

mUUser
12-20-2017, 12:38 PM
That is how he has always coached, regardless the assistants on his staff. Assistants have specific in game responsibilities and Rose let's them call their plays, or to set the defense based on the circumstances, based on the game plan leading up to the contest. In style he coaches like some head football coaches do. He's 314-113, .735 W-L% over thirteen seasons. He's 13-6 against Utah.

Agree, he's a solid coach. Let's hope you idiots run him off like Bronco and hire Jimmer. Or should I say "Jimmer effing Fredette?" LOL....what a bunch of goofballs.