C - Falemaka
WR - Singleton/Wilson/Covey/Nacua

Defense
DE - Anae/Repp
DT - Fotu/Tonga
LB - Thompson/Barton
S - Hansen/Blair
CB - Blackmon/Johnson/Hughes

There is a lot of experience in that group. I would expect the JUCO DE and LB to both be in the mix to start. I would probably have Simpkins over Covey right now, but that could easily change by August.

Heard Mac talking about the read option and Huntley and Mac said you can adjust your blocking scheme to make the QB handoff to the RB but that Utah doesn't do that. I wish Taylor would do that. My sense is Huntley is selfish and looks to run first. He will need to run less to play more.

Anyway, I am bullish on the Utes in 2018. I don't like a Friday night game after an away game and thought that was something they were going to do away with this year. I wish the bye was a little later in the year. We get an extra week against WSU, Stanford after they play Notre Dame, an extra day for USC, ASU after USC and BYU the last game of the year.

2018 Utah Football Schedule

Aug. 30 (Thur.)
Weber State
Salt Lake City

Sept. 8
at Northern Illinois
DeKalb, Ill.

Sept. 15
Washington*
Salt Lake City

Sept. 22
bye

Sept. 29
at Washington State*
Pullman, Wash.

Oct. 6
at Stanford*
Stanford, Calif.

Oct. 12 (Fri.)
Arizona*
Salt Lake City

Oct. 20 (hc)
USC*
Salt Lake City

Oct. 26 (Fri.)
at UCLA*
Los Angeles

Nov. 3
at Arizona State*
Tempe, Ariz.

Nov. 10
Oregon*
Salt Lake City

Nov. 17
at Colorado*
Boulder, Colo.

Nov. 24
Brigham Young
Salt Lake City

sancho
12-28-2017, 09:33 AM
I don't like a Friday night game after an away game and thought that was something they were going to do away with this year.

I think they did away with the Friday night road game after a Sat road game.

concerned
12-28-2017, 09:54 AM
What other receivers do we expect to emerge--out of Boyd, Dana (too late for him?), Hampton, Thompson, Dixon?

Two Utes
12-28-2017, 10:47 AM
What other receivers do we expect to emerge--out of Boyd, Dana (too late for him?), Hampton, Thompson, Dixon?

I hope somebody. Way way way too many drops and fumbles with this group.

UTEopia
12-28-2017, 12:31 PM
I hope somebody. Way way way too many drops and fumbles with this group.

Really? I thought this group was significantly better than the prior years. Singleton is usually good for one drop per game and the TE's were terrible, but other than that, I thought this group was pretty solid. I think Boyd, Hampton, Thompson and Dixon all have a shot. Dana should probably transfer or hang it up.

Scratch
12-28-2017, 01:03 PM
I think Mika Tafua starts and gets more reps than Repp. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Ford and/or Umana crack the starting o-line.

DrumNFeather
12-28-2017, 01:09 PM

I have high hopes for Hampton...mostly because he decommitted from WSU to come to Utah. That seems meaningful for some reason. A lot of folks have speculated that Boyd would've seen time if he had been able to play. We also have the Perriman kid coming in from Florida. I know he signed early, but I'm not clear on whether or not he'll be on campus for spring ball.

I like the idea of Covey and Nacua being in the slot and running crossing routes all day long.

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-28-2017, 07:15 PM
Maybe the surprise Tweet of the week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diehard Ute
12-28-2017, 07:54 PM
Maybe the surprise Tweet of the week.

Further down in the exchange his dad says he’s doing lots of pushups and is excited to get back and play again. Ends it with #goutes

UBlender
12-28-2017, 10:34 PM
I think Mika Tafua starts and gets more reps than Repp. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Ford and/or Umana crack the starting o-line.

Yeah, Repp as a projected starter at DE is a head-scratcher and red flag. Maybe the light finally turns on for him, but even with all the injury issues Utah had at DE he still hardly played and made almost no impact when he did. Based simply off of the reps (pun totally intended) that were given out this year you'd have to go with Heninger or Hart as the next DE opposite Anae. In reality it will probably either be Tafua or the JC kid that signed.

Do we know how big Tafua is after his mission? Utah usually likes one bigger DE who is stout against the run and one smaller/faster one who is more of a pass rusher. I think Anae is the pass rusher but maybe that will evolve.

U-Ute
12-29-2017, 12:00 PM
For all the hype, Handley came and went without having much of an impact.

Scratch
12-29-2017, 12:25 PM
Cole's a great kid and a heck of an athlete (he was the best player on a very good high school basketball team, too). He also would have been the starting QB if he hadn't gone to school with Sam Darnold and Jack Sears. I think he'll be a good player, but he'll definitely be a great ambassador for the program. He's someone who gets along with everyone and who everyone likes (he was the student body president at San Clemente High). Even if he doesn't wind up being a big difference maker on the field (and I think he will be), he's someone who will help the team and program by just being there.

concerned
12-29-2017, 12:33 PM
Cole's a great kid and a heck of an athlete (he was the best player on a very good high school basketball team, too). He also would have been the starting QB if he hadn't gone to school with Sam Darnold and Jack Sears. I think he'll be a good player, but he'll definitely be a great ambassador for the program. He's someone who gets along with everyone and who everyone likes (he was the student body president at San Clemente High). Even if he doesn't wind up being a big difference maker on the field (and I think he will be), he's someone who will help the team and program by just being there.

are you surprised he appears to be returning?

Scratch
12-29-2017, 12:42 PM
are you surprised he appears to be returning?

No, but I wouldn't be surprised to see he was leaving, either (although I would be surprised to see him go to BYU). I haven't really talked to his Dad since the season started because that's right about when we moved to Utah, but when I spoke to his Dad before the season started he said that they would be watching to see how much Taylor used his TEs. He said they were going to count how often a TE was on the field, and that was more important to them than targets and receptions (although I'm sure more targets and receptions would have been nice). I know they love the U and the coaching staff, and I also know we did have TEs on the field fairly often, so I was hoping that would be enough for him to want to come. Based on the tweets, it looks like it will be enough.

concerned
12-29-2017, 12:45 PM
No, but I wouldn't be surprised to see he was leaving, either (although I would be surprised to see him go to BYU). I haven't really talked to his Dad since the season started because that's right about when we moved to Utah, but when I spoke to his Dad before the season started he said that they would be watching to see how much Taylor used his TEs. He said they were going to count how often a TE was on the field, and that was more important to them than targets and receptions (although I'm sure more targets and receptions would have been nice). I know they love the U and the coaching staff, and I also know we did have TEs on the field fairly often, so I was hoping that would be enough for him to want to come. Based on the tweets, it looks like it will be enough.

You would think that if we had TE's who could catch, they would have been targeted more frequently. Tuesday was just embarrassing, but not abnormal.

Utah
12-29-2017, 12:58 PM

Boyd is supposedly a stud and the coaches love him. So, he’d be at the top of my list.

Thompson played a lot for us as a true freshman. That’s impressive.

I’ve always been a Covey doubter. I doubted him as a freshman and I looked silly. I’m doubting him again. I’m not sure he will be the savior everyone thinks he will be. Two years away is a long time.

Singleton will be back and he is very good.

BUT, I’m in love with Nacua. As far as natural ability, he is amazing. Better than Carrington. Can he put it all together mentally and keep working physically? If so, whooo baby.

Next year, Nacua and Singleton will be very, very good. Maybe our best pairing of WR’s ever. Hopefully Covey is his old self. If so, that’s a top third PAC-12 receiving core.

Utah
12-29-2017, 01:02 PM
I still think Taylor would love to use the TE’s more. Ours weren’t healthy or consistent this year.

Utah
12-29-2017, 01:06 PM
I’ve also heard a lot of people worried about DE, but I’m not.

Anae was unreal this year. Especially in the back end of the season. He is top 4 in most stats (TFL, Sacks, Pressure, etc) in the PAC-12. Be is underrated by Utah fans, that’s how good he is.

As far as opposite him? We have a ton of options. Tafua has been on scout team this last year and doing well.

Hart will be a JR. I know we expect kids to play as FR/SO, but size and experience is huge in football. Don’t count him out yet.

Max Tupai will be a sophomore.

Davir Hamilton will be a sophomore.

Heninger played well this year.

The coaches think Repp has NFL potential. A more athletic Pita T. He is light, but when he rushes the passer, he is fantastic.

I don’t think Riley is too far off base with his Repp prediction. The coaches love him.

Utah
12-29-2017, 01:10 PM
I said before this last year that our schedule was too hard and our team too young and we’d be a 6 to 7 win team unless we were lucky and we’d maybe get to 8 wins.

The good news is, that all changes next year. We go from young and inexperienced to deep and experienced. Our OL will be one of the top returning OL’s. Our WR’s will be deeeeep. Moss, Shyne and DHC? Forget about it.

Our DL is deep as the Mississippi. DT is great. Fotu...

Our LB’s are more than solid with Barton, Thompson, Lloyd, Pirtle, etc.

And our secondary....bbbooooingggg.

This will be the most talented and deep team we’ve ever had.

Utah
12-29-2017, 01:14 PM
As for our schedule, as hard as it was last year, it will be much easier next year.

Washington plays Auburn a couple weeks before us. We come in the back end of tough three week stretches for a lot of teams.

USC might be starting a high school senior.

Falk, Darnold, Rosen will all be gone. ASU is a mess. Oregon has a worse coach. UCLA is a mess. I don’t think Kelly will turn it around over night.

Our toughest games will be Washington and USC. Every other game is very winnable.

U-Ute
12-29-2017, 01:55 PM
Question #1: Who starts: Shyne or Moss?

Question #2: Does it matter?

Scratch
12-29-2017, 02:12 PM
Question #1: Who starts: Shyne or Moss?

Question #2: Does it matter?

1. Moss and it isn't close.

2. Yes, it matters very much.

I would guess DHC gets more carries than Shyne next year, unless Moss gets hurt.

chrisrenrut
12-29-2017, 02:30 PM
1. Moss and it isn't close.

2. Yes, it matters very much.

I would guess DHC gets more carries than Shyne next year, unless Moss gets hurt.

I would not have thought this earlier this season, but a switch seemed to flip for Moss in the USC game, and he was a different runner from that point on. And Shyne can't stay healthy. Having a 1-2 punch with Moss and Shyne, with Moss getting most of the load is pretty exciting. If we can just get Huntley to hand them the ball more consistently.

NorthwestUteFan
12-29-2017, 06:34 PM

BUT, I’m in love with Nacua. As far as natural ability, he is amazing. Better than Carrington. Can he put it all together mentally and keep working physically? If so, whooo baby.

Wow. No. Put down the Kool aid. Carrington is a very special athlete, and that combination of size, speed, agility, and fluid motion is extremely rare.

That said, Nacua runs very good routes and has incredible hands. He is a warrior and is one of the best receivers we have recruited in a decade, and will be one of the greats by the time he graduates.

Utah
12-29-2017, 11:25 PM
Wow. No. Put down the Kool aid. Carrington is a very special athlete, and that combination of size, speed, agility, and fluid motion is extremely rare.

That said, Nacua runs very good routes and has incredible hands. He is a warrior and is one of the best receivers we have recruited in a decade, and will be one of the greats by the time he graduates.

No way. I'm all in with this kid. I've praised him since he came to Utah and Fehoko went to Stanford. I'm sure you can find somewhere on this site that I said Nacua was better than Fehoko. This kid has special talent.

I'm drowning in Nacua koolaid. :)

NorthwestUteFan
12-30-2017, 08:11 AM
That is fine and Samson Nacua will have an excellent career at Utah. This season I think he didn't drop a pass until the 5th or 6th game of the year. He had incredible hands.

Also, Raelon Singleton is more athletic than Darren Carrington. He just needs a significant amount of work on his hands. He needs to spend a lot more time with the Juggs machine the way Booker did.

I have heard from people who attend practice that Bronson Boyd is the real deal, and will also be a serious weapon.

Now we need to get Britton Covey back in time to shake off the rust, and get back into game form. Is there any way he can come home this week to register for winter semester?

Our Receivers may be the deepest talent group next year.

Utah
12-30-2017, 09:10 AM
I agree. You may not love the Samson as I do, but we can agree that the WR’s look great. And if Covey comes back? Yikes. We’d be great at WR.

It’s why I’m not worried about Taylor. He gets a year to install his system and upgrade the talent and he has done that in spades.

Our offense has more talent than we had in 2004. Can Taylor/Huntley put it all together? Maybe. Just maybe.

concerned
12-30-2017, 09:29 AM
I agree. You may not love the Samson as I do, but we can agree that the WR’s look great. And if Covey comes back? Yikes. We’d be great at WR.

It’s why I’m not worried about Taylor. He gets a year to install his system and upgrade the talent and he has done that in spades.

Our offense has more talent than we had in 2004. Can Taylor/Huntley put it all together? Maybe. Just maybe.

To me, next year all depends on huntley. Can he improve his accuracy on throws 10-20 yards. He seemed to have better accuracy before his injury, and they brought him back too soon. Most important, can he run the offense better, integrate other skill players esp. Moss better, and be less self reliant. I hope a years experince will show a lot of growth re game management.

UTEopia
12-30-2017, 09:38 AM
To me, next year all depends on huntley. Can he improve his accuracy on throws 10-20 yards. He seemed to have better accuracy before his injury, and they brought him back too soon. Most important, can he run the offense better, integrate other skill players esp. Moss better, and be less self reliant. I hope a years experince will show a lot of growth re game management.

I hope Taylor sits down with Huntley and goes through all his run options and run/pass options plays and they digest how much better the Utes could be and how much more Huntley can be on the field if he doesn't try to do everything himself. ARod did that with Travis on interceptions after the last 5-7 season and Travis cut down the number of interceptions significantly and the Utes improved to 9-3.

LA Ute
12-30-2017, 09:44 AM
I hope Taylor sits down with Huntley and goes through all his run options and run/pass options plays and they digest how much better the Utes could be and how much more Huntley can be on the field if he doesn't try to do everything himself. ARod did that with Travis on interceptions after the last 5-7 season and Travis cut down the number of interceptions significantly and the Utes improved to 9-3.

Kyle has said publicly, at least twice that I've heard, that They want Moss to have more carries and Huntley fewer. I imagine they will try to pound that into Huntley.

(Kyle also said he wants Tyler to put on 10-20 pounds so he can survive as a QB who loves to run.)

Utah
12-30-2017, 12:12 PM
I agree with all the Huntley talk. I know Taylor loves the RPO, but I’d love for him to not really do that the first half of games.

Establish Moss. Then, in the third Q, that RPO will be WIDE open in the third quarter.

Also, concerned said, that 10-20 yard range will take Huntley from very good to great.

Finally, don’t be surprised that Huntley kept it so much. He was young and a runner. It was safe for him to keep it. As he matures, I’d expect that portion of his game to drastically improve.

Brian
12-30-2017, 03:31 PM
When does covey return home?

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-30-2017, 04:14 PM
When does covey return home?

UTEopia
12-31-2017, 02:18 PM
Taking a look back at 2016 and 2017 offensive statistics. The offensive line was a complete overhaul for 2017, but I would say that the addition of Carrington made the WR group significantly better than the 2016 group and Moss was not as explosive as Joe Williams. Overall, the statistics are pretty comparable. What are reasonable expectations for 2018?

2017 2016
W/L 7-6 9-4
Points 29.54 29.85
1st Downs R 133 144
1st Downs P 136 118
1st Downs Pen 30 23
Rush Attemps 526 570
Rush yds. 2,123 2,782
YPC 4.1 4.9
Pass Attempts 427 399
Completions 261 212
Yards 3,242 2,817
Ave. per Att. 7.59 7.06
Touchdowns 40 46
Interceptions 14 8
Fumbles lost 12 17
3rd Down Conv. 35.23 38.34
Red Zone 63 54
Touchdowns 33 (.52) 27 (.5)

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-03-2018, 05:41 PM
Rosen and Darnold both announced today that they’re headed to the NFL. Chaos in AZ. New QBs in So Cal. Could be a nice alignment for Utah winning the south.

Applejack
01-04-2018, 01:10 AM
Rosen and Darnold both announced today that they’re headed to the NFL. Chaos in AZ. New QBs in So Cal. Could be a nice alignment for Utah winning the south.

:jig:

DrumNFeather
01-10-2018, 02:17 PM
Casey Hughes to transfer. Per his Twitter (every time I try to embed a tweet it doesn't work...)

chrisrenrut
01-10-2018, 03:00 PM
Casey Hughes to transfer. Per his Twitter (every time I try to embed a tweet it doesn't work...)

Man that stinks, and is a head scratcher. Here is his statement:

UTEopia
01-10-2018, 03:14 PM
Man that stinks, and is a head scratcher. Here is his statement:

I think that like Jordan Fogal this past year who transferred to CSU. He could see that it is unlikely that he would be a starter and decided to go somewhere to start his final year. I doubt he is headed to USC or any other PAC 12 school. Probably MWC. I suspect we might see a few more in the coming days.

Utah
01-10-2018, 09:40 PM
I think that like Jordan Fogal this past year who transferred to CSU. He could see that it is unlikely that he would be a starter and decided to go somewhere to start his final year. I doubt he is headed to USC or any other PAC 12 school. Probably MWC. I suspect we might see a few more in the coming days.

Yup. I’d bet 100% that he was told he wasn’t likely to see the field.

Also, wouldn’t surprise me if Lewis is coming in to take his place.

The real question is, when do we see all the USC transfers? They are waaaaaaay over their limit right now.

Applejack
01-11-2018, 02:57 AM
Yup. I’d bet 100% that he was told he wasn’t likely to see the field.

Also, wouldn’t surprise me if Lewis is coming in to take his place.

The real question is, when do we see all the USC transfers? They are waaaaaaay over their limit right now.

Doubt this very much. Hughes was great for the most part this year. We will miss him.

concerned
01-11-2018, 07:52 AM
onlyU, who is clearly very closely tied to the program, posted the following on Utehub yesterday:

Blackmon and Johnson will start next year. Tyronne Smith (played above Hughes when healthy) and Guidry add depth. Always injuries but you never know how that plays out. Casey wants to play and probably deserves starting reps in a normal situation but as of today he’s a 2 at either spot and depending on development and player additions may be a 3.

I actually think Raelon is 50/50 at this point to do the same thing so we’ll see. Bronson Boyd and Covey coming back next year along with a couple of potential signings next month and the wideout position continues to add ridiculous depth. If he goes he’ll land in Texas at one of the Big 12 schools. Rae is an NFL talent without the work ethic to get there. If he ever figured that out…man he could be good. Thompson and Boyd start outside next year IMO and I think Boyd will be our top wideout. He’s that good. Singleton (if he stays), Hampton, Wilson and ? behind them.Simpkins/Covey/Nacua inside…

Asked about linebackers, he said

Best guess today:

First group – Bryant Pirtle – Jr., Cody Barton – Sr, Donovan Thompson – Jr, Chase Hansen – Sr

Then – Devin Lloyd, Karsen LijenquistTennessee Pututau (90%), Andrew Mataafa, Sione Lund (2 – 4 Stars and a 3 Star) coming in.

Wild cards:Francis Bernard (I think he ends up at Wash St but will be interesting…still a slight chance at Utah) and Izaih Filititonga HS/TX

(interesting that he has lund as an lb instead of an rb)

Utah
01-11-2018, 08:10 AM
Doubt this very much. Hughes was great for the most part this year. We will miss him.

Ha ha. According to onlyu, looks like I was right.

Utah
01-11-2018, 08:13 AM
Yeah, Lund will be a LB.

We are finally set at LB.

Thompson, Hansen and Pirtle and Barton. We will be very, very good there next year.

Whitt has also talked a lot about a 3-3 front (3 DL and 3 LB). We played that more toward the end of last year and with Gary in the fold, expect to see that a lot more. Hansen as a LB in that role would be amazing.

Three people that will change our season this fall if they can put on 20 pounds: Tyler Huntley, Chase Hansen and Caleb Repp.

Applejack
01-11-2018, 12:36 PM
Ha ha. According to onlyu, looks like I was right.

I have no idea who onlyu is, but if he agreed with you that Hughes was told he would not see the field, he's dumb as rocks.

Utah
01-11-2018, 01:43 PM
I have no idea who onlyu is, but if he agreed with you that Hughes was told he would not see the field, he's dumb as rocks.

Ha ha. You show your ignorance my friend.

Onlyu is very, very connected and has been right about everything he’s posted, from transfers to commits to players injured, playing, etc.

If anyone is dumb as rocks, it’s not him. It’s the guy that has no clue what he is talking about then goes around calling people dumb as rocks.

concerned
01-11-2018, 03:42 PM
In general, I am more wary of "very connected" posters than the regular joes. Seems like the very connected get everything filtered through the eyes of their connection.

If onlyu has always been right, though, good for him. Sounds like me :)

From my perspective, Utah is right. I have been reading onlyu's posts all season, and he is always right (can't remember him being wrong), and always has info that only somebody with regular access to the team would have.

concerned
01-11-2018, 04:05 PM
In this case, onlyu and aj can both be right. Onlyu seemingly suggests that Hughes would not start for Utah next season. AJ suggests that Hughes would get significant minutes. Those two predictions don't contradict.

Hughes should realize that no secondary goes through an entire season without injury. He might not start game 1, but he would start at times and see plenty of action.

Agreed. I think onlyu is saying CH would play, but not as much as he wants to, and the minutes may go down if everybody stays healthy and a new player or two develops. If we have injuries like this year, he may have ended up playing a lot. Like Fogal, though, he wants to start.

The most interesting thing onlyu said had to do with the possibility of Singleton leaving. that really surprised me.

UTEopia
01-11-2018, 04:19 PM
onlyU, who is clearly very closely tied to the program, posted the following on Utehub yesterday:

Blackmon and Johnson will start next year. Tyronne Smith (played above Hughes when healthy) and Guidry add depth. Always injuries but you never know how that plays out. Casey wants to play and probably deserves starting reps in a normal situation but as of today he’s a 2 at either spot and depending on development and player additions may be a 3.

I actually think Raelon is 50/50 at this point to do the same thing so we’ll see. Bronson Boyd and Covey coming back next year along with a couple of potential signings next month and the wideout position continues to add ridiculous depth. If he goes he’ll land in Texas at one of the Big 12 schools. Rae is an NFL talent without the work ethic to get there. If he ever figured that out…man he could be good. Thompson and Boyd start outside next year IMO and I think Boyd will be our top wideout. He’s that good. Singleton (if he stays), Hampton, Wilson and ? behind them.Simpkins/Covey/Nacua inside…

Asked about linebackers, he said

Best guess today:

First group – Bryant Pirtle – Jr., Cody Barton – Sr, Donovan Thompson – Jr, Chase Hansen – Sr

Then – Devin Lloyd, Karsen LijenquistTennessee Pututau (90%), Andrew Mataafa, Sione Lund (2 – 4 Stars and a 3 Star) coming in.

Wild cards:Francis Bernard (I think he ends up at Wash St but will be interesting…still a slight chance at Utah) and Izaih Filititonga HS/TX

(interesting that he has lund as an lb instead of an rb)

My only quibble with this is about Singleton's work ethic. The guy has unusually tight hamstrings and has to be very careful what he does and how long he does it.

Diehard Ute
01-17-2018, 05:37 PM
Chase Hansen is coming back

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-utes/2018/01/18/chase-hansen-confirms-he-will-return-to-utah-instead-of-declaring-for-nfl-draft/

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-18-2018, 02:36 PM
Doh!

Just announced that Singleton is leaving the team for family reasons. Obviously, a significant loss.

DrumNFeather
01-18-2018, 02:43 PM
Doh!

Just announced that Singleton is leaving the team for family reasons. Obviously, a significant loss.

Time for some young guys to step up!

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-18-2018, 02:48 PM
Turns out, the only thing tighter than hamstrings, are family.

concerned
01-18-2018, 02:51 PM
here is one assessment, fwiw:

He has announced he has left the program for family reasons. While I do believe that played apart of it, I think Boyd, Thompson, and Hampton were all a major part of it seeing as how they are all 3 very talented. Also, with guys like Nacua, Simpkins, Covey (coming back), Wilson we have enough depth to take the hit. However, he was our leading receiver coming back and it sucks. I think we have to get Olave, Enis or Harrison though.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-18-2018, 02:55 PM
However, he was our leading receiver coming back and it sucks. I think we have to get Olave, Enis or Harrison though.

I don't know if that's a reliable assessment. I think that theory would hold up better if the departure happened after spring ball. Who knows.

I do hope that the sudden opening looks very enticing to any of those three WR recruits.

Utah
01-18-2018, 03:46 PM
Huh. onlyu was right again. Weird.

Utah
01-18-2018, 03:48 PM
My way too early predictions for starting WR’s:

Boyd and Thompson on the outside.

Nacua and Covey on the inside.

This WR group is loaded. Just absolutely stacked. It’s crazy to look at the talent we have at that position right now.

UtahsMrSports
01-18-2018, 03:52 PM

I strongly disagree with his opinion that Lund will be a LB.........

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-18-2018, 04:05 PM

Technically he said 50/50, so I'm only going to give you half a gloating point.

Utah
01-18-2018, 05:03 PM
I strongly disagree with his opinion that Lund will be a LB.........

That’s ok. But he will be right again.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-18-2018, 05:14 PM
That’s ok. But he will be right again.

Any idea what onlyu has to say about the bitcoin market?

concerned
01-19-2018, 08:44 AM
Any idea what onlyu has to say about the bitcoin market?

No, but here is his comment last night about Singleton leaving:

Rae doesn’t love it here – never really did. He wants to go back to Texas which is closer to home for him. Not sure about family issues but if that’s what he said then I’ll accept that.He called Texas, Texas Tech and TCU. TCU told him no…the other two told him they would have a spot for him.Here’s my opinion on Rae…Top 3 round NFL talent. I swear he’s that good but he didn’t play the entire game because he was tired and couldn’t go. Awful…I mean awful conditioning. One of the laziest players we’ve ever had come through here. That sounds like sour grapes because he’s on his way out…not true. With his talent he should be a Carrington type guy – period and everybody sees it.I hope that a change of scenery helps him find that work ethic because if it does he is a next level guy.I said a few weeks back and Utah said it above:Thompson and Boyd outside and Simpkins, Covey and Nacua inside next year.I believe that Rae would have lost the starting role but would have played plenty. With Hampton and Wilson as the 2’s and hopefully with an addition or two in the next few weeks we are plenty deep and plenty talented. Not sure how Covey comes back this first year but he’s a gamer so he’ll be in the mix for sure.No other players that get significant time are leaving at this point.

DrumNFeather
01-21-2018, 02:59 PM
Casey Hughes is heading to Michigan.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Diehard Ute
01-21-2018, 03:01 PM

A couple quick thoughts....odd move to get playing time

And anyone who says there’s no contact between schools and players has their head buried in the sand.

DrumNFeather
01-21-2018, 03:21 PM
Yep...if he goes to Nevada, nobody bats an eye...Michigan at least makes you think he had a conversation beforehand.

UTEopia
01-21-2018, 05:49 PM
Given that players who redshirt often graduate early, is there any reason to redshirt an incoming freshman?

Utah
01-21-2018, 06:34 PM
Given that players who redshirt often graduate early, is there any reason to redshirt an incoming freshman?

I don’t think that changes too much anyways. If they can see the field, then let them play.

I think what it does is if you have a senior that has value rated at 77/100 and a true freshman rated between 73-80/100, in years past you’d redshirt him.

Nowadays, you’d play him.

Also, one of Whitt successes is he graduates kids. He keeps kids here during the summer and enrolled in school. The by product is that a lot of kids graduate early, after only three years in the program. The downside is, you give kids a chance to leave where at other schools they wouldn’t even graduate (Tui’kolovatu).

As much as that sucks, I’d rather do the good and lose some kids. I love what Whitt has done and being at the top of the PAC-12 in APR is a HUGE part of that.

Applejack
01-22-2018, 07:31 AM

I’d bet 100% that he was told he wasn’t likely to see the field.

Swish!

Utah
01-24-2018, 11:21 AM
Swish!

Lol. You really are something.

Also, Pease was on the radio Monday. When asked if Utah would miss Hughes at all, Pease said not at all.

Riley then said, is it because he wouldn’t start or does Utah have the depth that even with injuries they wouldn’t miss Hughes.

Pease said that even with injuries he wouldn’t be missed. That he’s never seen so much talent in Utah’s secondary.

So, you have multiple people with ties to the U vs applejack.

You decide who you want to believe.

Utebiquitous
01-24-2018, 11:32 AM
I don't understand why this has to be someone's right and someone's wrong. Utah, there's no question Hughes would not have started but there's also no question that he would have helped us as a rotation corner back. In the case of injury, he may have become a starter. The kid did some terrific things for us last season. I also love that he's taken care of academics and worked himself up the depth chart while at Utah. While you give credit to Kyle for having a system that graduates players, let's not forget the players' role. They are putting in the work. I don't like losing players who demonstrate that kind of ethic. I understand it and I wish him well.

LA Ute
01-24-2018, 01:30 PM
I don't understand why this has to be someone's right and someone's wrong. Utah, there's no question Hughes would not have started but there's also no question that he would have helped us as a rotation corner back. In the case of injury, he may have become a starter. The kid did some terrific things for us last season. I also love that he's taken care of academics and worked himself up the depth chart while at Utah. While you give credit to Kyle for having a system that graduates players, let's not forget the players' role. They are putting in the work. I don't like losing players who demonstrate that kind of ethic. I understand it and I wish him well.

Isn't he going as a graduate transfer? If so, he probably is in a grad program of some kind at Michigan, and he gets the first year's tuition paid along with the chance at a Michigan graduate degree. If he were my kid that'd be a no-brainer.

Mormon Red Death
01-24-2018, 03:23 PM
Isn't he going as a graduate transfer? If so, he probably is in a grad program of some kind at Michigan, and he gets the first year's tuition paid along with the chance at a Michigan graduate degree. If he were my kid that'd be a no-brainer.Yes to be part of Michigan grad school fraternity is truly life changing.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Utah
01-24-2018, 05:26 PM
He gets a shot to start at safety at Michigan vs fighting to see the field here.

I think it’s a no brainer for him. I hope he does well, even though I grew up hating Michigan. Trash, those lot I tell ya.

LA Ute
01-24-2018, 05:28 PM
I guess, but he could get the first year's tuition paid in a graduate program at Utah, too. Depending on the program, on how he feels about living in SLC vs Ann Arbor, how he feels about playing time, position coaches, friends, weather, and being a part of a historical Rose Bowl Utah team, it's not entirely a no-brainer.

I admit "no-brainer" was overstated. But it would weigh heavily in favor of going, even if he wants to settle in SLC eventually. An out-of-state grad degree from a top school has more luster in Utah than a home-based one.

NorthwestUteFan
01-24-2018, 07:56 PM
He gets a shot to start at safety at Michigan vs fighting to see the field here.

I think it’s a no brainer for him. I hope he does well, even though I grew up hating Michigan. Trash, those lot I tell ya.1) Utah will win more games than Michigan next year, and...

2) It won't matter one bit for Casey Hughes, because he will get the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to hear/feel 107,000 people simultaneously cheer for him. That alone has to be an ethereal experience.

Oh, and grad school/change of scenery/different experience will all be good for him as well.

DrumNFeather
02-27-2018, 09:43 AM
If you can handle Gunther and Hacket, Kyle was on with them yesterday: https://espn700sports.com/interviews/kyle-whittingham-utah-head-coach-2-26-18/

Sullyute
02-27-2018, 10:41 AM
If you can handle Gunther and Hacket, Kyle was on with them yesterday: https://espn700sports.com/interviews/kyle-whittingham-utah-head-coach-2-26-18/

Coach Whitt is still high on Jack Tuttle, hopes to see good things this spring. Huntley is up to 195 pounds. Covey will not participate in spring ball. Gary Anderson will help coach the d-line with Lewis Powell.

Utah
02-27-2018, 11:47 AM
Man, I haven’t been this excited for any coach or player since Erickson was added to the staff.

It’s so nice to have Gary back. It’s funny how many said he’d never be back at Utah. Ha ha.

A great coach. We are lucky to have him.

Scalley has done a great job at DC the last two years. I can’t wait to see what he can do with a Gary led DL.

sancho
02-27-2018, 11:53 AM
Covey will not participate in spring ball.

Why not?

concerned
02-27-2018, 11:54 AM
Why not?

arrives home too late to be eligible. had to be enrolled earlier, I think.

Brian
02-27-2018, 12:30 PM
Why not?

Kyle said on the interview that he wouldn't be in good enough shape for spring ball. Said he'd be 'an injury waiting to happen'

Sullyute
02-27-2018, 12:57 PM
Kyle said on the interview that he wouldn't be in good enough shape for spring ball. Said he'd be 'an injury waiting to happen'

Also said he is a proven commodity and no need to put that at risk.

Diehard Ute
02-27-2018, 01:28 PM
arrives home too late to be eligible. had to be enrolled earlier, I think.

Yeah he’s not home until 3/7 I believe. Way too late to be enrolled

NorthwestUteFan
02-27-2018, 06:15 PM

It’s so nice to have Gary back. It’s funny how many said he’d never be back at Utah. Ha ha.

A great coach. We are lucky to have him.

I am happy to see Gary coaching the DL. He is fabulous to have on staff.

AND, I never want to see him become the HC at Utah.

Nice Marmot
02-28-2018, 09:07 AM
Where did Francis Bernard end up?

Utah
02-28-2018, 10:52 AM
Where did Francis Bernard end up?

SLCC. We will find out more this fall.

Utah
02-28-2018, 11:04 AM
Speaking of Mr. Bernard, our LB crew will be an absolute strength this year. Maybe as good or better than the Paul/Norris year.

Hansen - dude has NFL written all over him, especially at LB. just needs to stay healthy.
Thompson - he was our best LB by the end of the year. Just a mini Gionni Paul.

Lund - will see if he can play this year, but has everything you could want at LB.

Barton - solid. Very solid by the end of the year.

Others: Chris Hart, Pirtle, Lloyd, Mata’afa.

LB is quickly turning into an area of strength in this defense.

You saw us run a lot of 3-3-5 towards the end of last year. With Gary Andersen, Thompson, Barton and Lund, we will see a lot more of it. Especially with Hansen, Hart, Pirtle and Bernard coming off the edges.

Yeah, I said Bernard. It wouldn’t shock me to see him playing for us next year either.

Our defense is looking amazing for next year. Just unreal.

Utebiquitous
02-28-2018, 02:08 PM
Utah,
What has you so convinced that Hansen will be at linebacker? I mean that question honestly. I haven't heard Kyle speak to this publicly. In the interviews I've heard he's continued to list Chase as a safety or as a playmaker they'll move around some. I also don't share your optimism that he's a linebacker in the NFL. I think he's a strong safety if he gets there. I say "if" because I worry about injuries. Hansen's injury was pretty serious.

I am excited about Chase. I think the defensive brain trust creates a hybrid role for Chase that lines him up anywhere from the line, at linebacker and in the secondary on any given down. I don't know this. I just think they'd be crazy not to turn him loose, depending on down and distance, to be in a play-making role.

Chris Hart also jumped out at me in your email. Who's told you he's a linebacker now or are you just putting him there in a 3-3-5 setting to rush from an edge?

I do agree that the 'backers are taking shape. I hope that Pirtle really makes a difference coming from JC and that Lloyd begins to see time with Lund.

I'm a little skeptical that we'll see more 3-3-5 this season. I see it as a change-up. This team still seems built for a traditional 4-down linemen and even 5-down linemen at times - especially if Mika Tafua, Chris Hart and Maxs Tupai progress.

Diehard Ute
02-28-2018, 02:18 PM
Utah,
What has you so convinced that Hansen will be at linebacker? I mean that question honestly. I haven't heard Kyle speak to this publicly. In the interviews I've heard he's continued to list Chase as a safety or as a playmaker they'll move around some. I also don't share your optimism that he's a linebacker in the NFL. I think he's a strong safety if he gets there. I say "if" because I worry about injuries. Hansen's injury was pretty serious.

I am excited about Chase. I think the defensive brain trust creates a hybrid role for Chase that lines him up anywhere from the line, at linebacker and in the secondary on any given down. I don't know this. I just think they'd be crazy not to turn him loose, depending on down and distance, to be in a play-making role.

Kyle told Riley Chase would play at least part time at LB, and Chase told Lynn Worthy that’s where he thinks he’ll play more in the box because the secondary is so squared away

Utah
02-28-2018, 02:22 PM
Regarding Hansen:

1- it’s what I’ve been told.
2- Kyle has said it over and over all spring. Most recently on Gunther’s show in the last day or two.
3- on Utah’s Football site, Hansen is listed as a LB.

As far as Hart goes:

1- same. They want him in the field. In a 3-3-5 lineup, Hart can play OLB and rush the passer.

Side note: we get caught up in a 5-1 front, 3-4 front and 3-3 front. They are all the same in a lot of ways. Hell, they are all variations of a 4-3.

The difference is mainly size of the players. For example, a 5-1 is a 3-4 with a DT as a middle LB. A 3-3 front is the same as a 3-4 but you have a safety playing the MLB position.

This is extremely simplified, BUT the point stands. We are deep and diverse and we will move bodies around to create confusion. With the talent we have, we can run multiple fronts. It’s the same plays, just different players.

Hart is also listed as a LB. He could move back to DE for fall, but let’s see what he can do rushing the passer from the LB spot vs the DE spot. Especially if you are going to run a 3 DL front more often and Tupai is doing very well setting the edge.

It’s fun. A position that historically been weaker is really shaping up to deep and nasty.

Utah
03-01-2018, 09:56 AM
8 players out for spring (see if I can remember):

Paulo, Capra, J Johnson, Afia, DHC, Thompson, Blair...and someone else. Maybe Hekking.

chrisrenrut
03-01-2018, 11:09 PM
8 players out for spring (see if I can remember):

Paulo, Capra, J Johnson, Afia, DHC, Thompson, Blair...and someone else. Maybe Hekking.

Shyne?

Utah
03-01-2018, 11:13 PM
Shyne?

Whitt was on the radio, he literally pulled up a list of players on his computer while talking. You can hear him clicking around. He then read off the 8 players sitting out.

I say all of that, so say that it would be safe to assume that Shyne is 100% and ready to go (and he is). Woohoo!

We are so freaking stacked. Look at every position. It's crazy. I said this earlier, but it is shocking how far we've come. A few years ago we had Dres at WR and nothing else. Now, we have 5 WR's with his potential and ability. And it's like this at most positions. It's crazy.

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-02-2018, 02:54 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180302/ee6c751984998396b2de93153fbc171e.jpg

Sullyute
03-02-2018, 04:52 PM
:rave:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Applejack
03-03-2018, 01:45 AM
Viane moala, a DT for Hawaii, is transferring to the Utes. He'll have to redshirt for a year and will be a redshirt junior when he plays for us.

I know nothing about rainbow warrior football, but the guy is 6'7 and has blocked four kicks during his career so this one has scout team all-star written all over it.

Utah
03-05-2018, 06:11 PM
“Anything less than a Rose Bowl would be a disappointment this year.”

- John Pease, today

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-06-2018, 09:22 AM
Is it just me or is there a not so subtle jab here.

U-Ute
03-06-2018, 01:38 PM
This video of Tuttle throwing the ball makes me tingly.

Sullyute
03-06-2018, 02:09 PM
That ball comes out of there quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Utah
03-06-2018, 02:12 PM
Is it just me or is there a not so subtle jab here.

I don’t get it.

Scratch
03-06-2018, 02:15 PM
I don’t get it.

"gap"

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-06-2018, 02:30 PM
"gap"

I guess it wouldn't have jumped out at me if Huntley was actually "plugging a gap" this year. But as a returning starter, using his photo didn't make sense. Except for "the gap."

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-07-2018, 12:00 AM

Sullyute
03-07-2018, 07:34 AM
I guess it wouldn't have jumped out at me if Huntley was actually "plugging a gap" this year. But as a returning starter, using his photo didn't make sense. Except for "the gap."

It is never to early for Whitt to find some bulletin board material! :wink:

LA Ute
03-07-2018, 08:20 AM

Like.

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-07-2018, 08:56 AM

Brian
03-07-2018, 09:18 AM

I'm no expert at evaluating QBs, but it looks like he has a pretty quick release, and a lot of zip.

Utebiquitous
03-07-2018, 10:44 AM
Simi Moala reminds me of Jeff Kaufusi - except he looks broader/stronger. Jeff was a solid defensive end.

I remember a little of the drama around Moala's high school recruiting. We wanted this guy a lot. Some on the board will remember that he and Thor Katoa went Oregon State's way late, largely because of Anderson and Sitake. Anyway, that is one mature freshman. He looks like he's the new defensive line assistant - not a freshman d'end.

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-07-2018, 12:20 PM
A nice welcoming crew at the airport. Pretty cool to see Tuttle reaching out already.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180307/e70d0c73f0a71ec26bcb037edfb53ea3.jpg

Scorcho
03-07-2018, 12:23 PM
A nice welcoming crew at the airport. Pretty cool to see Tuttle reaching out already.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180307/e70d0c73f0a71ec26bcb037edfb53ea3.jpg

Covey is supposedly 5'8"

:rolleyes:

LA Ute
03-07-2018, 03:03 PM
I am in SLC and had a business lunch today at Little America. As we were coming out I saw B. Covey with a group of people, all in a happy celebratory mood. He was still in his suit and wearing his missionary name tag, so I guess he was fresh off the plane and hadn't even been released yet. Anyway, as I walked by him I quietly said, "Go Utes!" That brought a laugh from him and everyone around him.

Having walked right by him I must say, he is not a very big guy at all. Very slight build, I think he might be 5'8", because my daughter is 5'7" and he was about her size. Maybe her same size. So 5'8" might be a bit of a stretch.

U-Ute
03-07-2018, 03:21 PM
I am in SLC and had a business lunch today at Little America. As we were coming out I saw B. Covey with a group of people, all in a happy celebratory mood. He was still in his suit and wearing his missionary name tag, so I guess he was fresh off the plane and hadn't even been released yet. Anyway, as I walked by him I quietly said, "Go Utes!" That brought a laugh from him and everyone around him.

Having walked right by him I must say, he is not a very big guy at all. Very slight build, I think he might be 5'8", because my daughter is 5'7" and he was about her size. Maybe her same size. So 5'8" might be a bit of a stretch.

I have no idea how he walks around at that height. I mean, it's gotta be tough with how big his testicles are.

justaute
03-07-2018, 03:40 PM
hahahahaha

I have no idea how he walks around at that height. I mean, it's gotta be tough with how big his testicles are.

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-07-2018, 03:56 PM
Francis Bernard has been spotted hanging out at Utah Spring practice.

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2018/03/07/former-byu-linebacker-francis-bernard-stops-in-at-utah-spring-practice-for-a-visit/

Rocker Ute
03-07-2018, 03:58 PM

That's why they call him Mini Wes Welker.

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-07-2018, 05:14 PM
So this is a new thing this spring.

Sullyute
03-08-2018, 10:32 AM

Man, I could watch that all day!

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-10-2018, 02:13 PM
Pett releases a ‘17 highlight. Not his best work, but it’s enough to get the rid of the basketball taste.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctaa2sryHD8

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-10-2018, 03:13 PM

Utah
03-10-2018, 04:13 PM
Man, I don’t see any tweets on my phone.

chrisrenrut
03-10-2018, 07:35 PM
Man, I don’t see any tweets on my phone.

iPhone? I am seeing Dwight's tweet on mine. I don't use tapatalk, but I thought that got fixed recently as well. Maybe a phone or safari setting issue?

Utah
03-10-2018, 08:44 PM
iPhone? I am seeing Dwight's tweet on mine. I don't use tapatalk, but I thought that got fixed recently as well. Maybe a phone or safari setting issue?

I wonder. I’m on iPhone 7 Plus, safari.

No tapatalk.

Any settings I should check? Thanks.

chrisrenrut
03-11-2018, 10:17 AM
I wonder. I’m on iPhone 7 Plus, safari.

No tapatalk.

Any settings I should check? Thanks.

I am on an iPhone 8. I view the site in Full Site mode. If I view in mobile mode, i don't get the red background, and I don't see embedded tweets.

From what I can find, ad or content blockers may prevent them. Also, in the Settings/Safari under Privacy and Security, the only thing I have selected is Check for Apple Pay. I don't know a lot about those settings, but I did read that having cookies blocked could prevent the embedded tweets from showing.

If you make any changes, you may want to clear your History and Website data. Good luck, wish I had a more specific solution.

Utah
03-11-2018, 10:47 AM
Thanks man. I’ll try those things.

Utah
03-11-2018, 10:50 AM
Switching to full site mode brought them up. Thanks again.

Man, those passes...have we ever had three guys dropping dimes like that? *shivers*

U-Ute
03-12-2018, 01:34 PM
Yeah, I don't think I enabled them on the mobile view. I figured everyone on mobile was using TapaTalk or the full view. I can enable it if you need.

Utah
03-12-2018, 02:00 PM
Not a big deal. My phone is automatically bringing up the full view now, so I’m set. Thank you though.

Scorcho
04-04-2018, 02:44 PM
Oh Herm!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/asu/2018/04/03/asu-football-herm-edwards-warns-cuts-scholarship-players/483571002/

UTEopia
04-04-2018, 05:11 PM
Oh Herm!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/asu/2018/04/03/asu-football-herm-edwards-warns-cuts-scholarship-players/483571002/

That is quite a statement to make publicly. I will say that in my time at Utah it was well understood that guys who were not cutting it were going to be informed by the coaches at the conclusion of the season and/or spring ball that they should probably look to go somewhere else if they ever wanted to see the field.

UTEopia
04-07-2018, 03:07 PM
Went to the scrimmage today. Here are some observations:

Jeremiah Jordan was injured during the circle drill. He was on crutches with ice on his foot/ankle.

I'm not as confident about the WR group as others. Hampton, Boyd and Thompson did not play today. Siosi Mariner had a nice grab and Simpkins, Nacua and Dixon all performed well with the exception of the TD pass that went through Dixon's hands and was intercepted. I have no doubt that we will be solid in the slot, but we don't know if we have outside guys who can stretch the defense.

Moss and Shyne will be excellent. Moss looks bigger. Green broke off a nice run and looks to have good speed. I don't remember seeing DHC.

I'm not sure Huntley looks much bigger. He still has very skinny legs.

It will be interesting to see how the battle for backup QB goes. Based on today only, I would say that Shelly and Tuttle are equal. It seemed to me that they both took an equal number of reps.

The OL will be better this year. All the guys from a year ago that were first year starters (Barton, Falemaka, Agasiva) will be seniors and have a year starting under their belts. Paulo was solid last year and Ford has had a nice spring. Havili-Katoa, Capra and Toala all played last year and also have a year under their belts. I think we have a solid 8 guys. One guy no longer on the roster is Scott Peck. He never seemed able to get healthy.

Inside DL appears solid with Fotu, Pututau, Penisini and Tonga. Anae will be a stud and coaches have been raving about Tafua. I was hoping to get a look at Jordan. I think the defensive question marks will be mostly about depth at DE and LB.

This team has the pieces to do really well this coming year.

Sullyute
04-08-2018, 05:51 AM
Thanks for the update

Utah
04-08-2018, 09:26 AM
Dixon had 4 TD’s yesterday. He has really come on strong.

Thompson is out for all of spring with an injury.

Ma'ake
04-09-2018, 08:14 AM
I think the defensive question marks will be mostly about depth at DE and LB.

Last night on the news was a brief interview with KW about whether Francis Bernard might be coming to Utah, to which Whitt said he had some schoolwork to do, but there's a path. I might bump him up to being a 60% of being in the rotation, which would help the LB depth a bit.

Hart could always bump back up to DE, where he had limited productivity last year.

Overall, I agree those are the soft spots, but the overall depth is really good.

U-Ute
04-09-2018, 08:59 AM
Oh Herm!

A live look at player reactions.

4wAO1N5uusbMQ

Utah
04-09-2018, 09:10 AM
DE: Anae, Tafua, Heninger, Tupai, Repp

We have a lot of talent at DE. Anae is an All PAC player. Tafua and Tupai are 4 star prospects. Heninger was solid for us last year. Repp is a young Pita T (small, but a beast off the edge at getting to the QB).

Im not sure what else people want from that group. An All PAC-12 player, two 4 star prospects with one performing very well in spring ball (Tafua), a good returning contributer and a rush specialist. Oh, and Gary Andersen.

LB: remember, we only play 1-2 at a time. Hansen, an NFL talent level. Barton. Thompson. Lloyd. Hart. And possibly Bernard, a NFL potential player.

Hansen and Barton is a great duo. Hansen and Bernard have potential to be our best group of starting LB’ers ever.

I didnt even include Pirtle, another 4 star JC guy that could play LB or DE.

If DE and LB are soft spots...wow, your defense is great. 2 NFL guys (potentially three with Bernard) for 4 positions? I bet there isn’t 25 schools that have that.

UBlender
04-09-2018, 09:45 AM

We have a lot of talent at DE. Anae is an All PAC player. Tafua and Tupai are 4 star prospects. Heninger was solid for us last year. Repp is a young Pita T (small, but a beast off the edge at getting to the QB).

Im not sure what else people want from that group. An All PAC-12 player, two 4 star prospects with one performing very well in spring ball (Tafua), a good returning contributer and a rush specialist. Oh, and Gary Andersen.

LB: remember, we only play 1-2 at a time. Hansen, an NFL talent level. Barton. Thompson. Lloyd. Hart. And possibly Bernard, a NFL potential player.

Hansen and Barton is a great duo. Hansen and Bernard have potential to be our best group of starting LB’ers ever.

If DE and LB are soft spots...wow, your defense is great. 2 NFL guys (potentially three with Bernard) for 4 positions? I bet there isn’t 25 schools that have that.

Like you, I'm bullish on the LBs, but let's play devil's advocate here.

-Chase is great but it's a new position for him. We all assume he'll adjust seamlessly and be awesome but that's not proven yet. The bigger issue is that he's been injured every season here so how many games do we get out of him in 2018?
-Barton is earning rave reviews this spring but he's been a punching bag for fans the last two years whenever he's played (I don't think that's been entirely fair, but there have been some shortcomings). Let's see how he does when the lights are on before we assume anything.
-Thompson has been good in his opportunities but not dominant. It's unknown what we will have with him as a full time starter. His baseline is probably "average" but he can prove he is something more than that.
-Lloyd is very young, bright future but nothing is proven. If he is forced into action this fall it could be fine or it could be a disaster. No way to know right now.
-Hart is changing positions. He couldn't gain enough footing at DE to play more than spot duty. Hopefully it works at LB but we don'w know that it will.
-If Bernard comes that is a first year LB in a defense that is notoriously difficult for LBs to learn. He may not be ready to play this fall. Same can be said of Pirtle.

There are lots of options there, which is nice, but we need to see what some of these guys are capable of first. Like if Barton starts every game will he perform better than the guy who most Ute fans bagged on the last two years? If there are injuries and someone like Hart or Lloyd has to start will they be able to perform well? Will Thompson be a decent PAC 12 LB or a high performing key player on a great PAC 12 defense? How many games will Chase be healthy for?

I'm optimistic Utah will find a couple of solid LBs from that group, but whether they will be anything more than solid (and if we want to win the south then we probably need better than solid) and will there be enough of them to withstand some injuries? I think those are legitimate questions.

concerned
04-09-2018, 12:10 PM
As I have mentioned before, OnlyU on the Utehub site has always been very knowledgeable as to what is going on inside the football team. Here is his take on spring so far, which is pretty consistent with Utopia's:

The one thing I’m not comfortable with today is our WR depth. Jaylen Dixon’s performance aside in the scrimmage, I don’t expect him to be in the top 6 this Fall. He had a nice day but isn’t ready IMO. Alec Dana is not in the program today. Jameson Field would be ahead of Dixon and Tyquez Hampton suffered an injury a few weeks back with surgery likely. Not sure where that places him in the Fall. Singleton is gone (still not sure where he’s going). That leaves the following:Top 6 not in any order…1. Bryan Thompson – Tore a pectoral muscle lifting in the winter, 2. Samson Nacua, 3. Bronson Boyd, 4. Siaosi Mariner, 5. Demari Simpkins, 6. Britain Covey The rest – Jameson Field, Jaylen Dixon, Tyquez Hampton (injured), Solomon Enis – Freshman, Terrell Perriman – Freshman, Batchelor Johnson – Walk on. We need 6-8 so hopefully Hampton responds well and Enis figures it out quickly. Injuries put some pressure on us here I think. Not comfortable with LB’s yet either but if Pirtle is good and/or Bernard arrives that becomes much better immediately. Safties an outside concern if Blair can’t compete at the same level but plenty of experience there with Ballard, Afia, Burgess and Davis. Lewis playing Nickel with Guidry today.

Utah
04-09-2018, 12:13 PM
I don’t have any argument with anything you’ve said. Honestly, the key to the LB’ers is Hansen staying healthy and Bernard. If those two things happen, we will be amazing there.

Hansen has talked a lot about how he has to protect himself and play smarter. Hopefully that pays off for him and he stays healthy.

Barton looked great the last few games last year. He looked like the LB I’ve been saying he is the last three years. It sounds like he has continued in that run. If so, he’s a solid starting LB and an amazing backup. He’d be BYu’s Best LB by a long shot this fall (which I understand this is starting to become a ridiculous comparison because the talent between us and them is getting to be astronomical).

I agree about Thompson. And there is nothing wrong with average. Average is pretty darn good. Same with Lloyd. I think he will be really good, but I don’t want to see him this year. Hart has looked solid at LB, but I’d love to see him next year. He could be really, really good by next year.

And Pirtle...it wouldn’t surprise me if he slides down to DE because our LBers we that good.

But, we have to keep Hansen healthy. And hopefully Bernard joins the team.

Utah
04-09-2018, 12:19 PM
Positions and worry levels:

QB: worried and not worried. If Huntley can stay healthy for at least 8 weeks, I’ll feel a lot better. I’m not sure if that’s possible.
RB: we are amazing there.
WR: I’m worried. We need Covey and Simpkins and Nacua and Mariner to be amazing. And 3-4 more to step up. That’s asking a TON. I hope Taylor has some ARod in him and will run Moss and Shyne 20 times each a couple of games.
OL: I’m not worried. We have a great LT, an All PAC-12 runner up at C, and are solid everywhere else. I’ll take that.

DE: Talent and Gary? I’m good here
DT: see above.
LB: cautiously incredibly optimistic.
DB: we may have the best secondary in the PAC-12, which puts us in the Washington level, which puts us in the running for the best secondary in football

K: we good
P: we good

right now, we are a 9-10 win team.

If WR can step up, Huntley and Hansen stay healthy and Bernard join the team...whew.

Even if WR’s don’t step up, if we run the ball more, we can be really, really good. Really good.

Hot Lunch
04-09-2018, 12:58 PM

Barton looked great the last few games last year. He looked like the LB I’ve been saying he is the last three years. It sounds like he has continued in that run. If so, he’s a solid starting LB and an amazing backup. He’d be BYu’s Best LB by a long shot this fall (which I understand this is starting to become a ridiculous comparison because the talent between us and them is getting to be astronomical).

What games were these? Cause, I didn't see it.

Scratch
04-09-2018, 01:06 PM
What games were these? Cause, I didn't see it.

I did. He was flying all over the field the last few games of the year. He was a different guy. His game against Colorado was one of the best games any of our defenders had last year.

crazyute
04-11-2018, 08:14 AM
I've heard Jeremiah Jordan has looked good too. Don't know why he wasn't included in your DE list.

Utah
04-11-2018, 09:56 AM
I've heard Jeremiah Jordan has looked good too. Don't know why he wasn't included in your DE list.

Because he has a long road to playing time. All five of those players are ahead of him on the depth chart.

But your post further shows how Utah will be just fine at DE.

concerned
04-11-2018, 11:18 AM

Jordan likely has a lis franc injury and is done for the year.

Dwight Schr-Ute
04-11-2018, 11:53 AM

Went down in the circle drill before the last scrimmage. I hadn't heard that there was a break. Bummer.

Hot Lunch
04-13-2018, 09:51 AM

That sucks. Our lack of depth at Defensive End really hurt us last year.

sancho
04-14-2018, 08:11 PM
Anyone care to report on the spring game? Wasn't that today?

chrisrenrut
04-15-2018, 04:24 PM
I watched it on the PAC 12 channel. They held a bunch of starters out. Tuttle threw a couple of interceptions, and 1 touchdown. Huntley had one touchdown. Our best RB was a long haired, red headed white guy how isn't even on the team roster. Most of the receivers who caught balls I had never heard of before.

sancho
04-15-2018, 04:30 PM
I watched it on the PAC 12 channel. They held a bunch of starters out. Tuttle threw a couple of interceptions, and 1 touchdown. Huntley had one touchdown. Our best RB was a long haired, red headed white guy how isn't even on the team roster. Most of the receivers who caught balls I had never heard of before.

Thanks, sounds like I didn't miss too much.

Dwight Schr-Ute
04-15-2018, 04:55 PM

Highest scoring Spring game in recent memory. So defense is garbage.

Special teams won it again with a last second Gay 57 yard field goal.

Tuttle fumbled a snap for a 33 yard loss and threw two turnovers. Lisk was lit though.

Scorcho
04-15-2018, 05:17 PM

- good crowd, I'd say about 12k, and I was surprised to see that many people tailgating beforehand, both sides were about 1/3 full

- Tuttle has a great arm and he's deceptively fast, he had a couple of runs for first downs, but he overthrew two receivers for INT's

- It was nice to see the offense use the tight end more, 1 of our poly tight ends had 6 catches

- Whitt was showing off his calves, which are as big as ever and are already tanned. I got my annual first sunburn

- I walked around campus afterward with some friends and watched several incoming freshman and their parents touring the campus, that always gets me a little choked up (great times, great memories)

DrumNFeather
04-16-2018, 08:37 AM
So many starters were held out, so it's really hard to get any kind of sense for how good the guys are that flashed, but I'll take a stab at it:

- Hauati Pututau (#41 DL) had a couple of really nice plays and appears to be a monster. I think he'll be a handful moving forward.

- #31, the white long haired RB is Joey Wood (#32 in your program) is a JC RB. Seems like more of a fullback/h-back type (so how did he end up at Utah?). Maybe we'll see him in goal-to-go situations.

- Shyne looked like he hadn't played much football for 2 years...hopefully he shakes that off.

- Jalen Dixon (#25) had a couple of nice plays. Seems fast and shifty, a nice compliment to Covey on those inside routes.

- Terek Lewis (#5) looks like he is going to step right in and play in some capacity. Looks the part, hopefully he can play the part. Folks have raved about the depth of the secondary, hopefully Lewis will be a part of that mix.

- Drew Lisk (QB - #12) had a few nice throws, so I guess if we get into a Jon Hayes situation, it's nice to know that we're in good hands. :)

All in all, nothing too remarkable, but always nice to see the Utes take the field at RES. Only 136 days until they kick off the 2018 campaign.

Dwight Schr-Ute
05-18-2018, 06:32 PM
Not much of a surprise here. But nice to have another body in the middle.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180519/39782a87a8fa6867b2b0387add995c04.jpg

UTEopia
05-30-2018, 08:50 AM
I have noticed an interesting development over the past few years and that is the use of outside trainers by current college football and basketball players. Aspiring high school kids have used trainers for years to help them develop and to make contact with college coaches, but during my time working closely with Utah football (2005-2012) I cannot remember any players working with private trainers while they were members of the football teams. Players preparing for the NFL draft did so, but that was after the season ended. I wonder how college coaches feel about this. I bring this up because there have been a number of tweets from former BYU player Jordan Pendleton who has been working with recently returned missionary Cole Fotheringham. I also remember a story about Samson Nacua, Julian Blackmon and Nacua's younger brother working with a former BYU WR.

Scratch
05-30-2018, 11:00 AM
I have noticed an interesting development over the past few years and that is the use of outside trainers by current college football and basketball players. Aspiring high school kids have used trainers for years to help them develop and to make contact with college coaches, but during my time working closely with Utah football (2005-2012) I cannot remember any players working with private trainers while they were members of the football teams. Players preparing for the NFL draft did so, but that was after the season ended. I wonder how college coaches feel about this. I bring this up because there have been a number of tweets from former BYU player Jordan Pendleton who has been working with recently returned missionary Cole Fotheringham. I also remember a story about Samson Nacua, Julian Blackmon and Nacua's younger brother working with a former BYU WR.

There was a tweet about Covey working out with Pendleton as well. I think it makes a lot of sense for guys like Covey and Fotheringham who have to get back into shape post-mission, but I would think that once players are fully integrated with the program that the strength and conditioning stuff should be handled by the program.

Dwight Schr-Ute
05-30-2018, 08:50 PM

UTEopia
06-02-2018, 11:49 AM
So, I took this off twitter and thought it would be fun. Favorite all-time Utes.

QB: Alex Smith;
RB: Chris Fuamatu-Maʻafala;
WR: Steve Smith;
TE/Utility: Henry Lusk;
OL: Asiata;
DL: Luther Ellis;
LB: Gionni Paul;
CB: Andre Dyson;
S: Robert Johnson;
K: Louie Sakoda;
P: Tom Hackett;
KR/PR: Erroll Tucker

chrisrenrut
06-02-2018, 04:10 PM
QB: Alex Smith;
RB: Mike Anderson
WR: Bryan Rowley
TE/Utility: Dennis Smith
OL: Jordan Gross
DL: Luther Ellis
LB: Kautai Olaveo Stevenson Sylvester
CB: Sean Smith
S: Eric Weddle
K: Andre Guardi
P: Tom Hackett
KR/PR: Erroll Tucker

After thinking about it, I had to change out my LB choice.

SoCalPat
06-04-2018, 11:03 AM
Three things I'd like to see in 2018 that will improve our chances considerably in winning the South:

1. The less time the ball is in Tyler Huntley's hands, the better we'll be. Vince Young, who is 100X the runner Tyler is, never had as many carries in a single season as Tyler did last year. Huntley's sack rate of 1/10.4 attempts is brutal, almost unforgivable. Troy Williams' was slightly better at 1/13.75; as a team, Utah was 103/130 nationally in sack percentage rate. Now, to be fair, Utah has been mediocre in this state for some time -- the last time it ranked anywhere close to the top half of all of CFB was in 2010, when we were fourth nationally. And with a spread option attack, sack rates are always higher for such offenses (We were not a spread-option team in 2010 with Jordan Wynn as our QB). But Huntley is the least dynamic player we have at the skill positions -- he needs to be passing more and handing off more, and running less. 5-7 times per game to keep teams honest.

2. A game-changer in the return game. For as dominant as our STs have been under Kyle, they've almost always included a dynamo in the return game (Shaky Smithson, Reggie Dunn, Kaelin Clay, Cory Butler-Byrd). While our punt return game last year was above average based on our Pac-12 history, last year's kickoff return game was our worst ever and well under the bar we've set in this area.

Kickoff return national team rankings in the Pac-12 era (based on average yards per return)
2017: 116
2016: 20
2015: 46
2014: 17
2013: 111
2012: 6
2011: 35

Punt return national team ranking (also based on average yards per return)
2017: 27
2016: 70
2015: 38
2014: 8
2013: 42
2012: 104
2011: 52

The good news is, having Britain Covey back should help. The bad news is (and it's not really bad, because it affects everyone), the new kickoff rules could adversely affect any threat we have in the kick return game.

3. Better luck in one-score games in league games, and playing in fewer of them.

2017: 1-4
2016: 3-4
2015: 2-2
2014: 5-2
2013: 2-3
2012: 1-1
2011: 1-2

We play in too many such games, and we're losing more of them as of late. There's a lot that can be said about such a stat, and not all years should be viewed in the same context. I've also taken out the non-con and bowl games from this (which would add significantly to the totals, most of them wins). We're simply not a team that's gonna apply many pillar-to-post whuppings under Kyle, but we can win more close games, or win more games by more than a single possession. I think part of our November failures over the years hasn't been the physical strain (because everyone has injuries), but the mental strain of playing so in so many nail-biting games.

sancho
06-07-2018, 09:28 AM
he needs to be passing more and handing off more, and running less. 5-7 times per game to keep teams honest.

I'm interested to see what happens here. We ran the ball so much better when we didn't run RPOs last season. But I don't think we're ready to give up on the RPO. I hope we either:

1) Figure out the RPO and make it the core of the offense. If it's working, Huntley should mostly be passing, pitching, or handing off. The 5-7 carry quota will happen naturally as Huntley learns to read the defense and as the offense learns to play RPO.

or

2) We abandon the RPO altogether.

What I hope doesn't happen is a hybrid where we sometimes are RPO and sometimes more traditional. I just think that sounds like a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none scenario.

Applejack
06-10-2018, 12:28 AM
Tyquez Hampton to transfer. ��

UTEopia
06-10-2018, 07:59 AM
2018 Utah OL

The 2017 OL lacked experience with only 1 returning full-time starter and 1 additional player with starting experience. 2018 finds us with 4 returning full-time starters (Barton, Falamaka, Agasiva and Paulo and 2 others (Havili-Katoa and Toala) with significant playing time. Experience along the OL alone should allow the Ute offense to be more productive in 2018 than 2017.

Offensive line is a position group that requires players to communicate and rely on one another in order to be effective. The only way to build the trust that leads to success is by playing together. I don’t think this group has the same level of talent as the 2016 group, but with a year under their belts, they should show improvement and greater productivity.

I anticipate that the starters going into the season will consist of 3 seniors Barton LT, Falamaka C and Agasiva RG and 2 juniors Paulo RT and Capra LG. Capra will be pushed by senior Havili-Katoa and junior Toala and Paulo/Barton will be pushed by redshirt freshman Nick Ford, who by all accounts made great strides in spring ball. If, Falamaka sustains an injury, I believe Capra will move over to center.

The only upperclassman who has not found his way onto the field is junior Keven Dixon and with 4 senior OL, it will be important for the coaches to develop underclassmen Jake Grant (So), Tucker Scott (So), Orlando Umama (So), Mo Unatoa (RsFr), returned missionary and former Oregon St. signee Simi Moala and true freshman Braeden Daniels.

On the recruiting front, the Utes will anticipate that highly regarded 2016 signee Johnny Maea will return for 2019 and the sole current verbal commitment is from Lucas Child, an OL from Timpview. According to Scout, the Utes have offered about 25 offensive linemen and OL should be an area of emphasis in this recruiting class.

Scratch, who I believe once lived in the San Clemente area, posted on Utefans that Tucker Scott has medically retired. However, he is still listed on the roster as of today.

UTEopia
06-10-2018, 08:07 AM
Tyquez Hampton to transfer. ��

That appears to be the case. I'm not sure what to make of both Singleton and Hampton transferring. I understand Singleton is going to Houston and will be closer to family. It will be interesting to see where Hampton ends up. Maybe his decision is as simple as seeing himself No. 5 or 6 at the outside receiver positions behind Mariner, Nacua, Simpkins, Boyd, Thompson and Solomon Enis.

concerned
06-10-2018, 12:50 PM
OnlyU's analysis of Hampton transfer

Wasn’t in the mix for playing time…struggled to pick up the offense and struggled to gel here for whatever reason. Plenty of talent but writing on the wall…hopefully he can figure it out wherever he ends up. Hasn’t been around for anything since school let out. Everyone knew something was up.Mariner, Boyd, Thompson, Simpkins, Nacua, Covey, Enis, Perriman, Dixon, Field all see the field before Tyquez. It’s a loss but the impact is minimal.

Nice Marmot
06-11-2018, 03:27 PM
OnlyU's analysis of Hampton transfer

Wasn’t in the mix for playing time…struggled to pick up the offense and struggled to gel here for whatever reason. Plenty of talent but writing on the wall…hopefully he can figure it out wherever he ends up. Hasn’t been around for anything since school let out. Everyone knew something was up.Mariner, Boyd, Thompson, Simpkins, Nacua, Covey, Enis, Perriman, Dixon, Field all see the field before Tyquez. It’s a loss but the impact is minimal.

Was Enis here for spring?

UTEopia
06-11-2018, 04:56 PM
Was Enis here for spring?

No he was not

Dwight Schr-Ute
06-16-2018, 04:27 PM
This is interesting. Phil Steele ranks all of the DEs by their draftability. Utah’s highest is not Bradley Anae but Viane Moala, the University of Hawaii transfer that has to sit out this year. That seems pretty insane to me. Is he really expected to be a solid contributor for us? Will he get any reps in fall camp even though he can’t play until next year?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180616/2731ed4ef2c2ccddbeca4bac60aba866.png

Applejack
06-18-2018, 12:44 AM
This is interesting. Phil Steele ranks all of the DEs by their draftability. Utah’s highest is not Bradley Anae but Viane Moala, the University of Hawaii transfer that has to sit out this year. That seems pretty insane to me. Is he really expected to be a solid contributor for us? Will he get any reps in fall camp even though he can’t play until next year?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180616/2731ed4ef2c2ccddbeca4bac60aba866.png

That's news to me. When I see "transfer from u Hawaii", I instinctively pray that he can one day contribute on special teams.

Nice Marmot
06-19-2018, 11:30 AM
So he has to sit out even with the new rule?

UTEopia
06-19-2018, 01:02 PM
So he has to sit out even with the new rule?

The rule change did not address the requirement that a player sit out or a year. It simply means that coaches cannot prevent a player from receiving a scholarship if he transfers to a blocked school. USU did that to Dave Collette, so he had to pay for his first year at the U.

sancho
06-19-2018, 01:57 PM
The rule change did not address the requirement that a player sit out or a year. It simply means that coaches cannot prevent a player from receiving a scholarship if he transfers to a blocked school. USU did that to Dave Collette, so he had to pay for his first year at the U.

Which is good, in my opinion.