PDA

View Full Version : Getting Our Mojo Back - Utah hosts Washington/Wazzu

DrumNFeather
01-16-2018, 07:58 AM
Whatever buzz was created by the Oregon road sweep has evaporated after losing the last four, despite not being favored in any of those games. Last week we allowed both UCLA and USC to get off to hot starts and neither team looked back.

Against Oregon and Oregon St., the Utes allowed 66 points to each team. Over the last four games, the Utes have allowed an average of 85 points per game...and Larry has said we've lost a lot of our Mojo. Couple this with what Colorado has done and the buzzards are starting to circle around the program just a little bit...particularly on the Twitter.

Washington comes in having won two road games this year in league play, but most recently lost at home to Stanford...so who knows what to expect from the.

Wazzu picked up its first league win on Saturday against Cal, but I would still hope that they would be a fairly easy out. With this Ute team, who knows.

Larry seemed to open up the rotation over the weekend, probably partially due to the games being blowouts, but I liked what I saw from Chris Seeley, and I'm encouraged that some of the young guys are getting playing time. It will be interesting to see if that carries into this week.

With three straight road games coming up after this weekend, it is imperative that the Utes get themselves to 4-4 so that they are at least treading water heading into the Arizona & Colorado roadies.

DrumNFeather
01-16-2018, 01:27 PM
Larry sounded pretty frustrated today in his presser. I don't think he's frustrated at the level he was last year, seems like he, like many of us, is frustrated with how soft some of these guys are, and the fact that they are missing open shots.

Old Standing ute
01-18-2018, 01:22 PM
Utah by 7

per Vegas--really.??

UTEopia
01-18-2018, 02:53 PM
I had us 2-4 going into this weekend although I thought the path would be a little different than it was. This is the break weekend for us. Lose both or split and this season is officially over. Win both and we are still capable of a .500 PAC 12 season. This year is a lot like football except many people had unrealistic expectations for football. Turnover years with eyes firmly focused on the future.

concerned
01-18-2018, 02:57 PM
I had us 2-4 going into this weekend although I thought the path would be a little different than it was. This is the break weekend for us. Lose both or split and this season is officially over. Win both and we are still capable of a .500 PAC 12 season. This year is a lot like football except many people had unrealistic expectations for football. Turnover years with eyes firmly focused on the future.

IMHO, the season is over regardless of the results this weekend.

Interestingly, I (among many) am hyped on next year's recruiting class, with two recruits nominated to be McDonald's AA's. I was disappointed the other day to see our class is ranked only 8th in the Pac 12, and 35th nationally. Reality check, i guess.

DrumNFeather
01-18-2018, 03:01 PM

Interestingly, I (among many) am hyped on next year's recruiting class, with two recruits nominated to be McDonald's AA's. I was disappointed the other day to see our class is ranked only 8th in the Pac 12, and 35th nationally. Reality check, i guess.

How much do you think the disappointment fans are feeling about this team is viewed through the lens of how Colorado has performed in its 6 league games verses how we've performed in our 6 league games? To me, it seems like that has heavily influenced a lot of the thinking, but I'd be curious to see what you think about that?

Diehard Ute
01-18-2018, 03:05 PM

You do have to remember two of our recruits aren’t counted in that ranking. Doutrive and Charles Jones Jr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UtahsMrSports
01-18-2018, 03:51 PM
You do have to remember two of our recruits aren’t counted in that ranking. Doutrive and Charles Jones Jr

This! With Doutrive having the advantage of being able to learn the system on both sides of the ball for a year.

concerned
01-18-2018, 03:54 PM

If you think you are going to make me feel better, you are sadly mistaken.

DrumNFeather
01-18-2018, 09:23 PM
Playing pretty well so far. I love seeing Seeley and Tillman out there.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

DrumNFeather
01-18-2018, 09:48 PM
Nothing from Bealer, nothing from Barefield.

DrumNFeather
01-18-2018, 09:50 PM
Bibbins on the other hand has been fantastic.

DrumNFeather
01-18-2018, 09:54 PM
Free throws have been a challenge tonight.

DrumNFeather
01-18-2018, 10:02 PM
Tillman with some clutch offensive boards allowed the Utes to take a minute off the clock, and then he hit two free throws.

DrumNFeather
01-18-2018, 10:06 PM
Despite trying to give it away, the Utes get the win. I'll just high five myself here, guys.

Old Standing ute
01-18-2018, 10:50 PM
Some credit to Larry K & his staff. They had a plan to attack the zone & followed it, even when Rawson went out early with fouls.
Washington beats USC because of coaching or lack there off by Enfield, whereas Utes listen. & play together.
4-4 would be nice after Sunday.

Two Utes
01-19-2018, 08:33 AM
Some credit to Larry K & his staff. They had a plan to attack the zone & followed it, even when Rawson went out early with fouls.
Washington beats USC because of coaching or lack there off by Enfield, whereas Utes listen. & play together.
4-4 would be nice after Sunday.

I like this team. I like Bibbins. We don't have a go to scorer and our bench is thin. I think PVD is playing better. I think Seeley has a lot of potential. Tillman is way good for a Frosh (but a bit on the small side). If Barefield could get some consistency he is all-league. And Johnson is getting better. I think we may surprise some people by the end of the year

concerned
01-19-2018, 08:41 AM
So here is a tidbit I heard last night at the game: when CH got dinged $10K for yelling at the head of officials, it wasn't because of the foul calls during the game. Hill was furious that the refs let Hurley get away with murder on the sideline all game long. It is widely agreed upon that Hurley is the biggest jerk and least liked among all the Pac 12 coaches, an asshole on the sidelines, and the refs don't do anything to reign him in.

Scorcho
01-19-2018, 09:02 AM
So here is a tidbit I heard last night at the game: when CH got dinged $10K for yelling at the head of officials, it wasn't because of the foul calls during the game. Hill was furious that the refs let Hurley get away with murder on the sideline all game long. It is widely agreed upon that Hurley is the biggest jerk and least liked among all the Pac 12 coaches, an asshole on the sidelines, and the refs don't do anything to reign him in.

that's interesting, Hurley got fined after the Colorado game. I guess he thought he had some additional leeway after paying that.

Last nights win was a relief, but other Utah teams would have buried a team like that. Sadly, I'm still convinced this team is just not very good

DrumNFeather
01-19-2018, 09:03 AM

Just one time it would be nice to see him hit with an early tech...maybe he should just start every game out with one. No wonder Hill was livid.

Diehard Ute
01-19-2018, 10:27 AM
I like this team. I like Bibbins. We don't have a go to scorer and our bench is thin. I think PVD is playing better. I think Seeley has a lot of potential. Tillman is way good for a Frosh (but a bit on the small side). If Barefield could get some consistency he is all-league. And Johnson is getting better. I think we may surprise some people by the end of the year

PVD still can’t shoot.

He’s 2-8 from the game, and all 8 shots are 3’s.

For the year he’s at 32% overall, 26% from 3, 67% from the line and gets less than 1 rebound per game

I hope his game improves, but I don’t know that he’s the guy we want taking that many 3’s

Diehard Ute
01-19-2018, 10:34 AM

As I watched that game it was from the same seat I’ve always sat in. The same place I’d always get a hello and quick chat from Big Rick as he went to the floor for all those years.

I looked at my parents at halftime and told them if this was the mid 90’s Majerus would already have been ejected for half of what Hurley did. The league has obviously told the officials to look the other way

I also find it odd Dr Hill was fined when his rant was picked up by the media for ‘public comments’ but Hurley who whines to the media only got a “reprimand”, no fine.

LA Ute
01-19-2018, 11:42 AM
Same problem all season. We keep trying Bealer, Caldwell, and PVD in that 5th man role. All we need is someone who will (1) hit open threes, (2) play energetic defense, and (3) not turn the ball over. We can't seem to find someone to make it work.

Swinney made an interesting point on his podcast this week (I listened to the whole thing while I was home, sick). He said Utah has too many "marginal PAC-12 players" on the roster. I think he's right, and that's why we can't find the "someone to make it work." We need 2-3 more true PAC-12 talents on the team. Maybe next year's incoming players from the strong recruiting class will be the answer going forward.

LA Ute
01-19-2018, 11:45 AM
I looked at my parents at halftime and told them if this was the mid 90’s Majerus would already have been ejected for half of what Hurley did. The league has obviously told the officials to look the other way

I also find it odd Dr Hill was fined when his rant was picked up by the media for ‘public comments’ but Hurley who whines to the media only got a “reprimand”, no fine.

Hurley learned from the master.

Solon
01-19-2018, 12:41 PM
Swinney made an interesting point on his podcast this week (I listened to the whole thing while I was home, sick). He said Utah has too many "marginal PAC-12 players" on the roster. I think he's right, and that's why we can't find the "someone to make it work." We need 2-3 more true PAC-12 talents on the team.

I agree with this.
When the Utes played AZ, the only player on Utah who "looked" like an AZ-type athlete was Tillman.

Bibbins gets a lot out of his body and I love watching him play. I am concerned that he led the team in rebounds last night.
Johnson has a Pac-12 body and he gives effort. I'm wondering when/if it will "click" for him on the offensive end.
Barefield shows flashes, but he has been MIA for two weeks.

Collette plays hard, but I think, deep-down, he is really a MWC player, Rawson has over-achieved, and PVD is . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Seeley is fun to watch. He made the "money" gesture to USC when some player (I forget which) got in his face, and vs. Washington he just smiled at a staredown. I like him.

Finally, on TV last night the Huntsman Center looked like the entire top level was empty. Was this the case?

Diehard Ute
01-19-2018, 12:49 PM
Finally, on TV last night the Huntsman Center looked like the entire top level was empty. Was this the case?

I couldn’t make the game, I didn’t want to leave 30 minutes in to get to work

I think an 8PM tip on a week night, coupled with the losing streak didn’t help.

And I’m sure I-15 being completely closed from 9000 S to I-215 from 7:20 PM on didn’t help....the roads were disasters, nowhere for people to go.

concerned
01-19-2018, 01:00 PM
I couldn’t make the game, I didn’t want to leave 30 minutes in to get to work

I think an 8PM tip on a week night, coupled with the losing streak didn’t help.

And I’m sure I-15 being completely closed from 9000 S to I-215 from 7:20 PM on didn’t help....the roads were disasters, nowhere for people to go.

Not entirely; there were some people sitting in the upper level, both at mid court and above the Muss. The Muss turnout was surprisingly good under the circumstances I thought. it was mostly full below concourse. But overall the crowd was sparse. Lots of empty seats below the concourse. Sunday could be really brutal.

UtahsMrSports
01-19-2018, 02:21 PM
Swinney made an interesting point on his podcast this week (I listened to the whole thing while I was home, sick). He said Utah has too many "marginal PAC-12 players" on the roster. I think he's right, and that's why we can't find the "someone to make it work." We need 2-3 more true PAC-12 talents on the team. Maybe next year's incoming players from the strong recruiting class will be the answer going forward.

Pre comment note: I am not directing this at LA Ute or anyone else, I just quote it here because the comment led me to the podcast.

I get a kick out of Swinney when he breaks down basketball, so after reading your comment I headed over and found the segment. Swinney did not disappoint! Among my favorites (his quotes are in quotes, as best as I could get)

"Problem is, your best guy is sitting on the bench right now with an injury in Donnie Tillman" (Tillman played 27 minutes against USC and scored 10 points with 4 boards- one of the few bright spots)

"We haven't seen development out of Jayce Johnson. Essentially none." (This has to be a joke. Hes no Poeltl but no one who has paid attention would say this. This was on the heels of a 14 point, 9 board game, the best of his career)

"Your best offensive weapon is Tyler Rawson" (I am a Rawson supporter, but he is the 5th leading scorer in conference play.)

"Youre not finishing in the top half of the conference if Tyler Rawson is your best player." (Yeah.........but............ughhhhhhhhhh)

It got better from there but these were some of the worst takes Ive ever heard.

Diehard Ute
01-19-2018, 02:31 PM
Maybe we need to up our self appointed media folks from MWC to Pac-12 levels? I mean Swinney couldn’t even stay retired for an entire year.

UtahsMrSports
01-19-2018, 08:19 PM
I wonder if we'll give up on starting Bealer/Caldwell/PVD and start Tillman as a SF instead.

He's started the last two. I imagine he will stay there.

Mormon Red Death
01-20-2018, 08:16 PM
Btw.. Washington had a great player for a nickname that i can't believe no one has said:
"Matisse is monet!"

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Old Standing ute
01-21-2018, 04:57 PM
Utes by 12 tonight (per Vegas).

Article today in Trib really talked up Devante Doutrive--currently red-shirt. He was a 4*/top 100 player.

Mormon Red Death
01-21-2018, 06:32 PM
They are letting anyone but bibbins shoot

Mormon Red Death
01-21-2018, 06:39 PM
Ticky tacky fouls being called tonight

Mormon Red Death
01-21-2018, 06:49 PM
What kind of name is "drick"?

Diehard Ute
01-21-2018, 06:50 PM
Our halftime ‘entertainment’ blows

Diehard Ute
01-21-2018, 07:13 PM
Short for Fredrick? Not a good name. Not as bad as Kodi with an "i", but not a winner.

Nope. His name is actually Drick.

WSU is his third school.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-21-2018, 07:29 PM
I’m not used to watching Barefield play defense. Not bad.

Mormon Red Death
01-21-2018, 07:38 PM
There was no contact there.

UtahsMrSports
01-21-2018, 09:06 PM
Solid win. 4-4 and right in the middle of the conference. Would love to see a split this week.

DrumNFeather
01-21-2018, 09:11 PM
Solid win. 4-4 and right in the middle of the conference. Would love to see a split this week.Someway somehow.

DrumNFeather
02-13-2018, 09:54 AM
Running it back this week in Washington. The Huskies are coming off of being swept against the Oregon schools, so they will be looking to get a little mojo back of their own. This one feels like it could be a slug fest for us, and would go a long ways towards pushing us up near the top of the league and challenging for that #4 seed in Vegas. A loss makes the WSU game a must-win just to keep pace and end the weekend 8-7, with three straight at home to finish things out.

SoCalPat
02-13-2018, 05:35 PM
Running it back this week in Washington. The Huskies are coming off of being swept against the Oregon schools, so they will be looking to get a little mojo back of their own. This one feels like it could be a slug fest for us, and would go a long ways towards pushing us up near the top of the league and challenging for that #4 seed in Vegas. A loss makes the WSU game a must-win just to keep pace and end the weekend 8-7, with three straight at home to finish things out.

Calling my shot: If we beat Washington, we make the tournament. We will have business to take care of in the meantime but it won't be insurmountable.

I am very optimistic for Vegas. The league is wide open this year, and we've been better/equal to Arizona for 50 of our 80 minutes played. A semifinal or final against UA would be beyond epic.

DrumNFeather
02-14-2018, 09:24 AM
Here is your bubble team rooting guide for the Utes: http://barttorvik.com/bubble-guide.php?team=Utah

UtahsMrSports
02-15-2018, 09:13 AM
Tonight feels like the biggest game of the year to this point. An at large becomes almost impossible with a loss. Hoping that the guys are dialed in and ready to go!

concerned
02-15-2018, 09:19 AM
Tonight feels like the biggest game of the year to this point. An at large becomes almost impossible with a loss. Hoping that the guys are dialed in and ready to go!

Given our performance at Colorado, and UW's performance at home against the Arizona schools, I would be very surprised if we won. Hope Im wrong, of course

sancho
02-15-2018, 10:02 AM

If we really have to win out in order to get an at-large, every game is the biggest game of the year.

U-Ute
02-15-2018, 12:51 PM
I think we at least split this trip. If not, then we have to sweep USC/UCLA/CU to have a chance at a 4 seed and a decent run in the conference tournament.

Mormon Red Death
02-15-2018, 05:53 PM
Utes -1 tonight

sancho
02-15-2018, 07:05 PM
I want barefield off the bench! Don't start him!

sancho
02-15-2018, 07:17 PM
They just planning on giving Rawson the middle all night?

Scorcho
02-15-2018, 07:47 PM

Sigh, didn't score in final 5 mins

concerned
02-15-2018, 07:50 PM

Turned out to be a really good strategy. We can't shoot at all

sancho
02-15-2018, 07:54 PM
Turned out to be a really good strategy. We can't shoot at all

We've seen this road team before.

Scorcho
02-15-2018, 08:19 PM
We've seen this road team before.

17-2 run by the good guys

Scorcho
02-15-2018, 08:20 PM
19-2

sancho
02-15-2018, 08:20 PM
17-2 run by the good guys

That's more like it!

Mormon Red Death
02-15-2018, 08:32 PM
So Collette falls on the floor and he gets called For a foul? Pac12 refs are baffling...

sancho
02-15-2018, 08:33 PM
So Collette falls on the floor and he gets called For a foul? Pac12 refs are baffling...

Refs never seem to understand that a no-call is sometimes the right call.

Mormon Red Death
02-15-2018, 08:37 PM
Wasn't that dunk goaltending?

sancho
02-15-2018, 08:43 PM
Collette is the all time NCAA leader in meaningless fouls that have no impact on the game.

DrumNFeather
02-15-2018, 08:58 PM
How about that?!?!

sancho
02-15-2018, 09:00 PM
How about that?!?!

Big game, baby!

Dwight Schr-Ute
02-15-2018, 09:10 PM
I turned the game on just in time to watch Washington finish the first half on a 10-0 run. Got caught up watching some Olympic crap before flipping back to see Utah up 10 in the second half. I was afraid to keep watching but did anyway. Glad I did. Seemed like the refs really wanted to finish the game and did really call anything the last three minutes. Things were getting a bit testy.

Scorcho
02-15-2018, 09:10 PM
:jig::larry::rave::rockon::shocker::clap::utes:

UtahsMrSports
02-15-2018, 09:16 PM
That's another Tier1 win, third of the season. Might have a fourth if Oregon can creep into the top 75. With the committee putting more emphasis on those this year, that is big for us.

LA Ute
02-15-2018, 09:46 PM
I turned the game on just in time to watch Washington finish the first half on a 10-0 run. Got caught up watching some Olympic crap before flipping back to see Utah up 10 in the second half. I was afraid to keep watching but did anyway. Glad I did. Seemed like the refs really wanted to finish the game and did really call anything the last three minutes. Things were getting a bit testy.

I was in a similar situation. I heard the last part of the first half, and then had to run some errands. I took a deep breath and tuned back in and suddenly they were up big. Nice turnaround, and a nice win.

concerned
02-15-2018, 10:50 PM
Me too. I turned it on we were ahead 24-22. I was so disgusted at the half i turned it off. I checked the score out of curiosity and we were up 43-38, so i watched the rest of the way

Applejack
02-16-2018, 12:56 AM
Let me publicly state that I have no basketball evaluation talent. Last year, I said some pretty vile, lascivious, and untrue things about Ransom as a basketball player. It causes me great shame to dwell upon my conduct.

Dude can ball!

Ma'ake
02-16-2018, 07:07 AM
Let me publicly state that I have no basketball evaluation talent. Last year, I said some pretty vile, lascivious, and untrue things about Ransom as a basketball player. It causes me great shame to dwell upon my conduct.

All of our guys are manufactured players. A 5-8 PG who respected basketball minds like Kevin O'Neil and Don MacLean tag as maybe the most underrated player in the league? A 6-10 non-athlete with short arms as our most talented frontcourt player (DC)? The other 6-10 guy also has short arms, can shoot it decently from deep, but before this year had (apparently) never used a ball fake to get defense pressure off him.

LK and his staff have spent a LOT of time on the drawing board & in individual development to get this group to where they are.

I thought we were going to be toast unless Seeley was playing a prominent role to deal with our lack of length and athleticism on the front line, I assumed both Bibbins and Barefield would be abused on post ups by bigger guards.

We have four games left, but this has been LK's best coaching season, IMO.

Yesterday I saw news that maybe 3 dozen programs are going to get penalized from the recruiting fraud fiasco the FBI found. The future for Utah looks good.

sancho
02-16-2018, 07:30 AM

I am also guilty.

concerned
02-16-2018, 08:23 AM
I am also guilty.

Actually, we are all fairly good judges of talent, and this team does not have a lot, compared to other pac 12 teams or the Delon-Poeltl-Kuzma years. Like Ma'ake said, It is a cut and paste team, scrambled together when we lost out on a lot of recruiting targets. But it is playing terrfice, fundamental team basketball at the momentt, and has grown exponentially from the beginning of the season. Earlier this year, a zone befuddled us. last night in the second half we sliced through it. That really is a testament to coaching, and this year the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. That was also true of the pre-Delon teams. I never thought we would be where we are now this year. Hats off to the coaching staff.

BTW, I was really impressed with PVD last night. Still cant shoot very well, but he ripped off some rebounds a copule of times that prevented them from getting a second chance to get back into it. He was tough and fought hard.

LA Ute
02-16-2018, 08:34 AM
BTW, I was really impressed with PVD last night. Still cant shoot very well, but he ripped off some rebounds a copule of times that prevented them from getting a second chance to get back into it. He was tough and fought hard.

Yes. Last night he reminded me a bit of the Caton brothers, non-star role players who made a difference.

UtahsMrSports
02-16-2018, 09:21 AM
Weird stat of the day: In this 3 game win streak, Dave Collette is averaging 17.7 points on 88% shooting in 17.3 minutes per game.

Old Standing ute
02-16-2018, 02:17 PM
Heard Larry K say that Andy Hill is responsible for the zone Utes are playing. Kudos to him, they slide people around & change it up--rather than UW which could not figure out to drop someone on Rawson.

And whoever (or is it whomever) is responsible for teaching the post players how to work underneath is really good---dating back to Washburn (who was a bust until LK was coach), Utes always seem to have someone who can score down low---hope Jayce is next.

Applejack
02-17-2018, 01:01 AM
Heard Larry K say that Andy Hill is responsible for the zone Utes are playing. Kudos to him, they slide people around & change it up--rather than UW which could not figure out to drop someone on Rawson.

And whoever (or is it whomever) is responsible for teaching the post players how to work underneath is really good---dating back to Washburn (who was a bust until LK was coach), Utes always seem to have someone who can score down low---hope Jayce is next.

Jokl!

sancho
02-17-2018, 07:46 PM
No jayce tonight.

chrisrenrut
02-17-2018, 08:20 PM
No jayce tonight.

Foot issue. Big guys with foot problems are usually not a good thing.

U-Ute
02-17-2018, 08:54 PM
Is this where I say *swish*?

chrisrenrut
02-17-2018, 08:54 PM
Wonder why Barefield isn’t getting any minutes?

Dwight Schr-Ute
02-17-2018, 09:17 PM

I have no idea, but Parker is getting swallowed up on the double team.

Diehard Ute
02-17-2018, 09:19 PM

Apparently he did something in warmups and is experiencing “discomfort”

Dwight Schr-Ute
02-17-2018, 09:49 PM
Utah getting one shot on offense and keep giving WSU second chances on defense. At least they’ve managed to finally hit a couple of threes or this thing would be over.

Dwight Schr-Ute
02-17-2018, 09:59 PM
Drawing the offensive foul and then that high glass kiss on the other end were so pretty for Bibbins. This kid impresses more and more every game.

concerned
02-17-2018, 10:06 PM
Utah getting one shot on offense and keep giving WSU second chances on defense. At least they’ve managed to finally hit a couple of threes or this thing would be over.

Collette must be the worst rebounding big man who ever played. We really missed jayce down the stretch. Their o rebounds got them back in it.

Mormon Red Death
02-17-2018, 10:09 PM
Why no seely?

chrisrenrut
02-17-2018, 10:11 PM
Collette must be the worst rebounding big man who ever played. We really missed jayce down the stretch. Their o rebounds got them back in it.

I think part of the reason they got so many offensive rebounds was because they were shooting so many 3’s. Our bigs frequently were closing out to contest the shots in the corners, putting them out of position. Also, three point misses frequently bounce out farther, so even if you box out, the ball goes sat a rebounder with good position.

sancho
02-17-2018, 10:13 PM
that high glass kiss

What a shot.

sancho
02-17-2018, 10:21 PM
Why no seely?

I thought we'd see a lot of him with Jayce out.

chrisrenrut
02-17-2018, 10:35 PM
Why no seely?

Based on our current luck, he probably hurt himself somehow getting off the bus.