PDA

View Full Version : Rocky Mountain High - Utah vs. Colorado 2018

DrumNFeather
01-30-2018, 02:25 PM
Only one game this week, but it is a biggie as the Utes head to Boulder to take on Colorado. The Buffs stunned the basketball world when they swept Arizona and ASU at home earlier in the year, but for the most part they've had an up and down year. They sit at 12-10 and 4-6 in the league. They've got an RPI of 60, with an SOS of 23 and are lead by George King (feels like he's been there forever) and McKinley Wright, who both average 14 points per game. Namon Wright, a once upon a time Utah recruit also averages in double figures at 11 per game.

Our Utes counter with a record of 13-8 and 5-5 in league play, coming off of a road split in Arizona, where some inspired basketball was played. We currently have and RPI of 47, with an SOS of 30. We also have four guys averaging double figures, with Donnie Tillman on the cusp and Jayce Johnson playing some of his best basketball during his career at Utah.

Utah has won the last 3 in Boulder, and a win this week would put us at 6-5 in league play, with 5 of 7 remaining at home and a chance to do some serious damage down the stretch. ESPN's matchup predictor gives us a 53.9% chance to walk into Boulder and pick up the win.

This is a big one.

Mormon Red Death
01-30-2018, 06:17 PM
Only one game this week, but it is a biggie as the Utes head to Boulder to take on Colorado. The Buffs stunned the basketball world when they swept Arizona and ASU at home earlier in the year, but for the most part they've had an up and down year. They sit at 12-10 and 4-6 in the league. They've got an RPI of 60, with an SOS of 23 and are lead by George King (feels like he's been there forever) and McKinley Wright, who both average 14 points per game. Namon Wright, a once upon a time Utah recruit also averages in double figures at 11 per game.

Our Utes counter with a record of 13-8 and 5-5 in league play, coming off of a road split in Arizona, where some inspired basketball was played. We currently have and RPI of 47, with an SOS of 30. We also have four guys averaging double figures, with Donnie Tillman on the cusp and Jayce Johnson playing some of his best basketball during his career at Utah.

Utah has won the last 3 in Boulder, and a win this week would put us at 6-5 in league play, with 5 of 7 remaining at home and a chance to do some serious damage down the stretch. ESPN's matchup predictor gives us a 53.9% chance to walk into Boulder and pick up the win.

This is a big one.Also if Utah wins Seattle Ute will pay me $100.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Applejack
01-31-2018, 11:36 AM
Also if Utah wins Seattle Ute will pay me $100.

#metoo

DrumNFeather
01-31-2018, 03:29 PM
Also if Utah wins Seattle Ute will pay me $100.

#metoo

What was the bet? 6 wins?

Mormon Red Death
01-31-2018, 03:47 PM
What was the bet? 6 wins?Yes sir!

Applejack
02-01-2018, 01:32 AM
I just want $

UtahsMrSports
02-01-2018, 08:25 AM
Yes sir!

SeattleUte really thought we would win less than six conference games this year?

Mormon Red Death
02-01-2018, 08:43 AM
screen shothttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180201/3b81dd70df9e128d7af027db30ab267f.jpg

DrumNFeather
02-01-2018, 09:00 AM
SeattleUte really thought we would win less than six conference games this year?

Worst bet ever!

LA Ute
02-01-2018, 09:57 AM

He doesn't like LK.

UtahsMrSports
02-01-2018, 10:01 AM
He doesn't like LK.

The vocal minority that doesn't like LK is fascinating to me. I totally understand the criticisms and shortcomings of Larry but these folks are really something else.

Mormon Red Death
02-01-2018, 10:51 AM

To be fair this was right after the byu game and SU probably just got caught up in the "whoa we are really bad if byu beat us". I was trying to preach that we would most likely be fine in the Pac12 due to the other teams having problems. As I said at the time this was more of a bet on how mediocre the pac12 is this year.

LA Ute
02-01-2018, 12:26 PM
The vocal minority that doesn't like LK is fascinating to me. I totally understand the criticisms and shortcomings of Larry but these folks are really something else.

LK is not Majerus. That's a problem for some.

UTEopia
02-02-2018, 09:19 AM
LK is not Majerus. That's a problem for some.. LK does not possess Majerus' coaching prowess. He also does not have his negative attributes. I don't think the Majerus we knew could function in the college basketball world today, although I don't remember any real issues from his final gig at St. Louis or wherever he was.

Mormon Red Death
02-02-2018, 09:59 AM
Utes a pickem in boulder tonight

Ma'ake
02-02-2018, 11:14 AM
I thought our game vs Arizona was our best game of the year, even if we came up just short. The talent mismatch was impressively negated by execution of a really, really good game plan.

Part of me thinks Sean Miller got out-coached, and there's only so much you can do coaching one-and-dones like Ayton. The other part thinks maybe our Utes are discovering what they're capable of, if they execute the plan and let the coaches make them look good. Barefield in particular seems to have turned a corner, but outside shooting can vary more than any other ingredient.

Tonight isn't make-or-break, but we may be able to see if the AZ game was unique, or if our guys are really coming together.

UtahsMrSports
02-02-2018, 01:14 PM
This kind of thinking with Barefield will drive you crazy. He's up and down. I think that's part of the package.

Maybe I am off here, but it seems like Sedrick has been given the freedom to freelance a little more in the last few games. I don't know if that is a conscious move by the coaches, but it seems to have helped a little. While I certainly dont expect him to play like he did versus Arizona all the time, I do hope he finds some consistency.

Diehard Ute
02-02-2018, 01:33 PM
Maybe I am off here, but it seems like Sedrick has been given the freedom to freelance a little more in the last few games. I don't know if that is a conscious move by the coaches, but it seems to have helped a little. While I certainly dont expect him to play like he did versus Arizona all the time, I do hope he finds some consistency.

Krystkowiak talked about Sed in a Trib article before it went behind the pay wall.

He said they’ve worked with Sed on making things more simple. He said Sed often tries to make things more complicated. They’ve shown him film of gaps he should attack and how to get his shots and he’s responded to it.

Basically said Sed is a strong athletic kid who needs to just take the simple things that come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrisrenrut
02-02-2018, 07:03 PM
Just seems odd to see PVD starting.

chrisrenrut
02-02-2018, 07:37 PM
We’d have a comfortable lead if we could hit some open shots. Shooting a ridiculously low % so far.

chrisrenrut
02-02-2018, 07:49 PM
First half we took 10 more shots, had more rebounds, assists, and less turnovers. But we are down by 7 because we are shooting 27% from the field, and 14% from 3 point range. SMH. Ball didn’t go in the hoop.

Mormon Red Death
02-02-2018, 08:02 PM
I can't tell if Larry's coat is mauve, red or pink

chrisrenrut
02-02-2018, 08:11 PM
Heh heh. I keep hearing the announcers call the Colorado player C-Word.

chrisrenrut
02-02-2018, 08:27 PM
We seem to be giving up. We need 2 or 3 guys to step it up if we are going to make this a game.

justaute
02-02-2018, 08:34 PM
No heart. No brain. Very disappointing given the number of upper classmen.

Mormon Red Death
02-02-2018, 08:52 PM
Why not try Caldwell earlier? He can brick them just as well as the others

DrumNFeather
02-03-2018, 06:28 AM
Just got back from boulder. What a lousy game.

7 remaining. Need to go 4-3 and finish .500. Not sure we can do it.I think we can hold serve at home, and pick up at least one on the Washington trip. 6-2 remains a possibility in my mind.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

UtahsMrSports
02-03-2018, 06:47 AM
This team is so maddeningly up and down. At times we have looked like not only a tournament team but a team that could make some noise. At other times, we look like a team that will have no postseason opportunities.

An at large bid is all but gone (I think at this point it would take 7-0 and some luck and that ain't happening) .

DrumNFeather
02-03-2018, 08:52 AM
This team is so maddeningly up and down. At times we have looked like not only a tournament team but a team that could make some noise. At other times, we look like a team that will have no postseason opportunities.

An at large bid is all but gone (I think at this point it would take 7-0 and some luck and that ain't happening) .

I think that probably all depends on how soft the bubble is. Let's assume for a second that the Utes can finish 6-2 (dropping one to either StanFord, one of the SoCal Schools, or Washington - I know, we're leaping here).

That would put them at 11-7 in the league and 19-10 overall. They may still be very much in play for a first round bye, and if not, would probably be the 5th seed, which would give them a shot at winning 2 games in Vegas, and playing Arizona for a shot to go to the Pac 12 title game. So that then potentially gives them 3 wins in Vegas (22-10) and almost certainly an RPI top 25 win, plus the win earlier in the year over Missouri, which continues to look good (current RPI of 33). Again, we're stretching, but it isn't impossible.

Look at what everyone else around us in the standings has as well:

USC (@UCLA, @Arizona, @ASU, vs. OSU, vs. Oregon, @Utah, @Colorado, vs. UCLA)
UCLA (vs. USC, @ASU, @Arizona, vs. Oregon, vs. OSU, @Colorado, @Utah, @USC)
Wash (vs. Arizona, @Oregon, @ OSU, vs. Utah, vs. Colorado, @Stanford, @Cal, vs. OSU, vs. Oregon)
Stanford (vs. Oregon, @Utah @Colorado, @Cala, vs. Wash, vs. Wazzu, @Arizona, @ASU)
Oregon (@Stanford, vs. Wash, vs. Wazzu, @UCLA, @USC, vs. ASU, vs. Arizona, @ Wazzu, @Wash)
ASU (@Wazzu, vs. USC, vs. UCLA, vs. Arizona, @Oregon, @OSU, vs. Cal, Vs. Stanford)
Colorado (vs. Cal, vs. Stanford, @Wazzu, @Washington, vs. USC, vs. UCLA, @Utah)

All of this is a long way of saying that pretty much everyone we're bunched up with has a challenging path down the stretch. Arizona is the only lock. Even USC, who looks good right now has 3 games they could drop on the road. Even so, they'll probably be the 2 seed unless they fall apart. If they were to only lose their remaining road games, they too would finish 11-7.

Keep hope alive!

Mormon Red Death
02-04-2018, 08:56 AM
At this point, it's more likely we get lucky and win 3-4 in a row in Vegas.

We have 7 games left. Three are against teams that have already routed us. Two others are against teams ahead of us in the standings. We'll be lucky to finish 4-3. so we really have to win 6 of 7 if we want the first round bye. Thankfully 5 of the 7 are at go home and the road games are 2 teams we have beaten. Yeah we were routed by 3 teams but they were all on the road.

DrumNFeather
02-04-2018, 10:23 AM
so we really have to win 6 of 7 if we want the first round bye. Thankfully 5 of the 7 are at go home and the road games are 2 teams we have beaten. Yeah we were routed by 3 teams but they were all on the road.

Sent from my SM-G930T using TapatalkI think (hope) it will be to our benefit to get Stanford first, coming off their big win and us having to sit on our poor shooting performance in Boulder. That game will be very telling as to where this team is at mentally. They have to know they've got an opportunity here.

DrumNFeather
02-26-2018, 12:37 PM
Looks like the Pac 12 hasn't announced what channel the games will be on this weekend outside of USC/UCLA. I would imagine this goes on the Pac 12 network given the timing, etc., but who knows.

concerned
02-26-2018, 01:42 PM
Looks like the Pac 12 hasn't announced what channel the games will be on this weekend outside of USC/UCLA. I would imagine this goes on the Pac 12 network given the timing, etc., but who knows.

I saw over the weekend that game time is 5 pm. Is that an actual time or a placeholder?

DrumNFeather
02-26-2018, 02:04 PM
I saw over the weekend that game time is 5 pm. Is that an actual time or a placeholder?

I think the game time is accurate, we just don't have a tv network yet.

UtahsMrSports
02-26-2018, 02:39 PM
I think the game time is accurate, we just don't have a tv network yet.

utahutes.com and espn have it as Pac-12 Network, FWIW.

DrumNFeather
02-27-2018, 09:30 AM
utahutes.com and espn have it as Pac-12 Network, FWIW.

Looks like it is on Pac 12 Mountain...

There is a triple header on the Pac 12 Networks, and then Utah/CU shows as Pac 12 Mountain.

concerned
02-27-2018, 10:03 AM

There is a triple header on the Pac 12 Networks, and then Utah/CU shows as Pac 12 Mountain.

In other words, neither ESPN nor Fox want any Pac 12 games.

Here is an interesting tweet

If Utah had not played Northwestern State (345) or Mississippi Valley State (349) in non-conference play, the Utes' RPI would be at 39 instead of 57 right now. Shows how much scheduling the dregs of the Southland and SWAC can hurt as you approach March. #Utes (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Utes?src=hash) #Pac12Hoops (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Pac12Hoops?src=hash)

UtahsMrSports
02-27-2018, 11:11 AM
In other words, neither ESPN nor Fox want any Pac 12 games.

Here is an interesting tweet

If Utah had not played Northwestern State (345) or Mississippi Valley State (349) in non-conference play, the Utes' RPI would be at 39 instead of 57 right now. Shows how much scheduling the dregs of the Southland and SWAC can hurt as you approach March. #Utes (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Utes?src=hash)#Pac12Hoops (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Pac12Hoops?src=hash)

This is probably my biggest, and maybe only real frustration with the coaching staff. I understand that with new faces you want to have opportunities to let the players grow with a very minimal threat of losing a game. But these games where from teh SWAC where the team plays in provo one night, in logan another and in our house another are pointless. We can accomplish what we need to by scheduling mid tier big west/big sky/wcc teams who would probably come here. The top of our non con was pretty good this year. Not great, but it was pretty good, certainly good enough if it wasn't being weighed down by some of the worst teams in Div-I.

Dwight Schr-Ute
02-27-2018, 11:51 AM

Or something that I've begun calling, Pac-12 iPad.

sancho
02-27-2018, 11:52 AM
If Utah had not played Northwestern State (345) or Mississippi Valley State (349) in non-conference play, the Utes' RPI would be at 39 instead of 57 right now. Shows how much scheduling the dregs of the Southland and SWAC can hurt as you approach March. #Utes (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Utes?src=hash)#Pac12Hoops (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Pac12Hoops?src=hash)

Just mind blowing how dumb selection criteria can be. Meaningful games mean less than throwaway games.

There is no material difference between between the #350 team and the #200 team, but it makes a huge difference in RPI.

DrumNFeather
02-27-2018, 12:20 PM
This is probably my biggest, and maybe only real frustration with the coaching staff. I understand that with new faces you want to have opportunities to let the players grow with a very minimal threat of losing a game. But these games where from teh SWAC where the team plays in provo one night, in logan another and in our house another are pointless. We can accomplish what we need to by scheduling mid tier big west/big sky/wcc teams who would probably come here. The top of our non con was pretty good this year. Not great, but it was pretty good, certainly good enough if it wasn't being weighed down by some of the worst teams in Div-I.

Larry is pretty unapologetic about this as well. Which, on the one hand, I love that aspect of his personality...and on the other hand, it's like...dude, all you have to do is get some marginally better games and this will be fine. And again, I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but there had to be another decent game out there that they could've added to the schedule to fill that last spot so that, you know, we'd be chasing 20 wins this weekend.

SoCalPat
02-27-2018, 10:31 PM

Growth in basketball is impossible where the outcome is 99.999 percent in your favor.

SoCalPat
02-27-2018, 10:44 PM
Just mind blowing how dumb selection criteria can be. Meaningful games mean less than throwaway games.

There is no material difference between between the #350 team and the #200 team, but it makes a huge difference in RPI.

You gotta explain your definition of "material difference" here.

UtahsMrSports
02-28-2018, 08:30 AM
Growth in basketball is impossible where the outcome is 99.999 percent in your favor.

I dont disagree but I am not sure coaches always understand that.

DrumNFeather
02-28-2018, 08:50 AM

Next year will be interesting, because you'll have a pretty solid core coming back (assuming no transfers) Of Tillman, Barefield, Johnson, Seeley, etc. And an influx of young guys as well. Will we see another dumbing down of the schedule? I hope not, but who knows.

Not to jump ahead, but we know we play @Missouri and a neutral site game vs. BYU. I thought I saw somewhere that we are in the field for next year's Phil Knight classic, which will probably have some decent teams.

sancho
02-28-2018, 09:13 AM
Next year will be interesting, because you'll have a pretty solid core coming back (assuming no transfers) Of Tillman, Barefield, Johnson, Seeley, etc. And an influx of young guys as well. Will we see another dumbing down of the schedule? I hope not, but who knows.

Not to jump ahead, but we know we play @Missouri and a neutral site game vs. BYU. I thought I saw somewhere that we are in the field for next year's Phil Knight classic, which will probably have some decent teams.

The PK classic was loaded this year. That would be great.

When we say "dumbing down the schedule" we are talking about just two games, right? How many schools don't have a couple of really bad teams on the schedule? The tweet that suggested that we would be 15 places higher in RPI if not for two games - does that tweet apply to just about everyone?

One thing that should help is expanding the conference schedule to 20 or 22 games. Seems like all the big conferences are doing this. There should be more opportunities to add decent OOC mid-major opponents.

I do think coaches will always want 1-2 games where they don't have to stress at all. They want an opener against a bad team, and they want a bad team during finals week - the kind of team that requires 0 prep or film study. I think this is fine, and the selection committee should stop the silliness of penalizing teams for it. Until they grow up, though, teams like us should work schedules to game the system.

Diehard Ute
02-28-2018, 09:13 AM

Utah is in the Wooden Legacy

Utah
Fresno State
Hawaii
La Salle
Miami
Northwestern
Seton Hall
And one team to still be announced.

sancho
02-28-2018, 09:15 AM
Utah is in the Wooden Legacy

Utah
Fresno State
Hawaii
La Salle
Miami
Northwestern
Seton Hall
And one team to still be announced.

Could be worse. Utah, Seton Hall, Miami, and Northwestern are potential tournament teams.

SoCalPat
02-28-2018, 12:54 PM
Could be worse. Utah, Seton Hall, Miami, and Northwestern are potential tournament teams.

Northwestern has an RPI in the 160s and has made the Dance once in school history. They don't deserve to be lumped in with the other three teams.

Another top 50 team makes this a respectable tournament, maybe even underrated.

SoCalPat
02-28-2018, 12:55 PM

If coaches don't understand that, then they're serving interests that are solely their own (ie, fattening up the W-L for job security purposes).

Rocker Ute
03-01-2018, 08:18 AM
If I missed this already discussed I apologize but I think sancho made a cromulent point a bit back, in that if you really are a top 75 RPI team, which the Utes should be from now on without exception, that beating a team in the 200s should be just as probable as beating the 300s, but has a dramatic effect on your overall rating. So at least when they are scheduling they should consider that and pass on the Geoducks or whatever.

Mormon Red Death
03-03-2018, 05:20 PM
That injury looked bad

Mormon Red Death
03-03-2018, 05:30 PM
any update on Collette?

Mormon Red Death
03-03-2018, 05:46 PM
Jayce get reinjured?

Mormon Red Death
03-03-2018, 05:52 PM
Tillman making the leap. Monster on both sides of the ball

sancho
03-03-2018, 05:55 PM
Jayce get reinjured?

I think (hope) they are just trying to keep him at low minutes for his foot recovery. And with Seeley playing well, why not?

Scorcho
03-03-2018, 06:13 PM
clearly Colorado is having trouble with the altitude

:cheers:

Mormon Red Death
03-03-2018, 06:39 PM
Be nice if someone on the team could make a wide open shot

Mormon Red Death
03-03-2018, 07:04 PM
Thanks mr bibbins for making a shot

Mormon Red Death
03-03-2018, 07:08 PM
Larry k should be pac12 coach of the Year

LA Ute
03-03-2018, 07:08 PM
Mercifully I missed the cold spell and got to watch only the last 5:00 or so. I like the way they put the Buffs away.

LA Ute
03-03-2018, 07:09 PM
I hear Seeley did well.

Scorcho
03-03-2018, 07:09 PM

agreed

DrumNFeather
03-03-2018, 07:12 PM
It wasn't pretty, but they got the 3 seed. Now time to do some damage.

sancho
03-03-2018, 07:28 PM
It wasn't pretty, but they got the 3 seed. Now time to do some damage.

Who wins a tiebreaker between UCLA and Oregon if UCLA loses tonight? Looks like we will either play the Ducks or the Bruins. Not sure which team I prefer. I think I prefer UCLA.

Mormon Red Death
03-03-2018, 07:29 PM
Who wins a tiebreaker between UCLA and Oregon if UCLA loses tonight? Looks like we will either play the Ducks or the Bruins. Not sure which team I prefer. I think I prefer UCLA.I wouldn't sleep on osu. I could see them upsetting

sancho
03-03-2018, 07:30 PM

Utah was picked 7th, finished 3rd.

UW was picked 10th, finished 7th.

Neither team looked like much before the season started. Utah went 2-0 vs UW. Utah finished the season strong, and UW wilted. I think Larry is a good choice.

Do coaches vote as well as media? I think that would be good for us. Other coaches don't want the new kid on the block to come in and take COY in year 1.

DrumNFeather
03-03-2018, 07:54 PM
I think UCLA does because of their win over USC earlier in the year. They split with each other and both beat AZ.

DrumNFeather
03-03-2018, 07:55 PM
I think UCLA does because of their win over USC earlier in the year. They split with each other and both beat AZ.

Sent from my SM-N950U using TapatalkBut someone on Twitter said the opposite of what I said, so who knows.

LA Ute
03-03-2018, 08:09 PM
Who was the bigger pleasant surprise this season — Bibbins or Rawson?

Applejack
03-04-2018, 02:20 AM

One vote for Rawesome.

LA Ute
03-04-2018, 09:11 AM
It’s close but I vote for Bibbins because he came out of nowhere. A 5’8” kid from Long Beach State. We wondered if he was really PAC-12 caliber. His season-long impact, often in clutch situations, just kept surprising us. But Rawson is close.

concerned
03-04-2018, 09:57 AM
It’s close but I vote for Bibbins because he came out of nowhere. A 5’8” kid from Long Beach State. We wondered if he was really PAC-12 caliber. His season-long impact, often in clutch situations, just kept surprising us. But Rawson is close.

Agreed. Bibbins had no time in the program either; made an immediate adjustment to Pac 12 basketball. We might have won 10 games without Rawson; would might not have won 5 without Bibbins.

Mormon Red Death
03-04-2018, 09:58 AM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIt's not close. Bibbins was a grad transfer who is 1st team all pac12. Rawson has been great but the bigger surprise is bibbins

sancho
03-04-2018, 10:57 AM

It's Rawson. After last season, there was no reason to think he could contribute. With Bibbins, there was at least the hope of the unknown.

Diehard Ute
03-04-2018, 11:33 AM

While I think he surprised us, I don’t think he surprised the coaches

Reportedly They recruited him out of High school but got brandon Taylor and didn’t want two below height guards at the same time

Utebiquitous
03-04-2018, 02:52 PM
I'm with you Sancho. After last season, I didn't think Rawson would show up against Pac-12 play. He's been really good this season. It was noticeable last night that he was playing very sick and yet he still found a few ways to contribute.

LA Ute
03-04-2018, 03:52 PM
While I think he surprised us, I don’t think he surprised the coaches

Reportedly They recruited him out of High school but got brandon Taylor and didn’t want two below height guards at the same time

Good info and good point. I think both Rawson and Bibbins are evidence of LK’s ability to spot talent under the radar, and in Rawson’s case, to coach up big men. Rawson was a willing pupil and worked hard — in the weight room, for example.

NorthwestUteFan
03-04-2018, 07:11 PM
Parker Van Dyke is another example this year. He worked hard, put in the time in practice and in the weight room, and the results really showed. He does a good job of staying in position and became a decent defender. He is built like a linebacker too. He is making a case to be the Sixth Man next year.

sancho
03-05-2018, 10:10 AM
Carryover thought from Saturday. Is McKinley Wright someone who can leave early for the NBA? If not, he is going to terrorize the Pac-12 for years.