PDA

View Full Version : Hirings and Firings

Two Utes
03-08-2018, 09:45 AM
On Stallings at Pitt and Scott Barnes:

https://thebiglead.com/2018/03/08/pittsburgh-kevin-stallings-fired-buyout-millions-scott-barnes-search-firm/

In my opinion he really screwed Utah State going out the door in similar fashion. He's a really shitty AD who got really lucky with the hire of Gary Anderson.

Every AD has warts but we really ought to appreciate the job Hill has done on the Hill.

DrumNFeather
03-08-2018, 09:49 AM
Folks on Twitter are already campaigning for Pitt to get Tom Creen, which would be interesting.

LA Ute
03-08-2018, 10:39 AM
In my opinion he really screwed Utah State going out the door in similar fashion. He's a really shitty AD who got really lucky with the hire of Gary Anderson.

Every AD has warts but we really ought to appreciate the job Hill has done on the Hill.

Summon Seattle Ute!

mUUser
03-08-2018, 11:23 AM

Successive hirings of Mac, Urban and KW. Inclusion in Pac 12. Majerus & Krystko. Remain relatively scandal free.

He has two big warts in Giac & Boylen, otherwise he's a gold standard among AD's.

An on campus baseball field would be the cherry on top of his career.

concerned
03-08-2018, 11:26 AM
Successive hirings of Mac, Urban and KW. Inclusion in Pac 12. Majerus & Krystko. Remain relatively scandal free.

He has two big warts in Giac & Boylen, otherwise he's a gold standard among AD's.

An on campus baseball field would be the cherry on top of his career.

SoCalPat will say he has a major wart re swimgate.

NorthwestUteFan
03-08-2018, 11:27 AM
Hill also stayed out of the way of a great gymnastics program, and hired outstanding women's basketball and softball coaches.

Mormon Red Death
03-08-2018, 11:39 AM
Summon Seattle Ute!And when he gets here tell him to pay the $100 he owes me

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

DrumNFeather
03-08-2018, 11:45 AM
And when he gets here tell him to pay the $100 he owes me

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

If we lose to Oregon tonight, he'll show up.

mUUser
03-08-2018, 12:12 PM

Well, hard to argue otherwise, I suppose. Also, some might suggest he gave too much leash to the way Majerus ran the basketball program. They'd have some solid arguments there as well. But, on the whole of a 30 year career, I think he's done remarkably well.

concerned
03-08-2018, 12:24 PM
Well, hard to argue otherwise, I suppose. Also, some might suggest he gave too much leash to the way Majerus ran the basketball program. They'd have some solid arguments there as well. But, on the whole of a 30 year career, I think he's done remarkably well.

Agreed. And we havent really mentioned all the facilities upgrades that came with Pac 12 membership, and before (indoor football center).

Scorcho
03-08-2018, 12:31 PM
Agreed. And we havent really mentioned all the facilities upgrades that came with Pac 12 membership, and before (indoor football center).

I shudder when I think about Utah athletics prior to Hill. Basketball and gymnastics were in great shape, but the rest were in shambles. Utah athletics were on par with New Mexico/UNLV/Wyoming and maybe not as good.

Rocker Ute
03-08-2018, 04:21 PM
All of these facts be damned! Anybody with a pulse could have done what Hill has done and he hardly deserves credit for any hire or facility upgrade. He does however deserve direct criticism and is solely responsible for any bad hire, with his one positive attribute being he is simply extraordinarily lucky.

(I'm just putting this as a placeholder for SU).

Sullyute
03-08-2018, 05:50 PM
All of these facts be damned! Anybody with a pulse could have done what Hill has done and he hardly deserves credit for any hire or facility upgrade. He does however deserve direct criticism and is solely responsible for any bad hire, with his one positive attribute being he is simply extraordinarily lucky.

:applause:

DrumNFeather
03-10-2018, 09:13 AM
Kevin Ollie being fired by UCONN with cause: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22712868/uconn-huskies-parts-ways-head-coach-kevin-ollie-citing-just-cause

concerned
03-10-2018, 09:38 AM
Kevin Ollie being fired by UCONN with cause: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22712868/uconn-huskies-parts-ways-head-coach-kevin-ollie-citing-just-cause

For cause? Ollie must not have Hurley's contract.

DrumNFeather
03-10-2018, 10:26 AM
Georgia also prepared to part ways with Mark Fox, multiple sources reporting on ESPN.

SoCalPat
03-10-2018, 10:49 AM

Goes without saying. He's also bungled contracts with both Kyle and Larry as of late. But no AD goes 30 years at the same school without some mistakes. Hill has had a solid B+/A- career at Utah.

DrumNFeather
03-11-2018, 05:33 PM
Mentioned in another thread, but Duryea officially out at USU.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-11-2018, 10:06 PM
Mentioned in another thread, but Duryea officially out at USU.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Better tell Utah State players to learn from Collette. It’s best to transfer to Utah now, not wait until you lose half of a season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrumNFeather
03-12-2018, 09:51 AM
Georgia also prepared to part ways with Mark Fox, multiple sources reporting on ESPN.

I wonder if USU would be a good fit for Fox. He had previously had success at Nevada before jumping to Georgia.

Also, saw on the Twitter that Slocum might be a candidate at CSU.

UBlender
03-12-2018, 10:32 AM
Better tell Utah State players to learn from Collette. It’s best to transfer to Utah now, not wait until you lose half of a season.

I always maintained that Utah should have offered McEwen out of high school and his play has proven me right (at least in my opinion). So if he felt like moving on now I would not be opposed. Also, if he is able to hurry up and finish his degree this summer so he can be eligible next season....

sancho
03-12-2018, 10:42 AM
I always maintained that Utah should have offered McEwen out of high school and his play has proven me right (at least in my opinion). So if he felt like moving on now I would not be opposed. Also, if he is able to hurry up and finish his degree this summer so he can be eligible next season....

We need a PG! It felt good to completely shut that guy down when we played this season. He's not quite on the same level as Childs when it comes to recruiting misses.

DrumNFeather
03-12-2018, 12:44 PM
Lorenzo Romar to Pepperdine.

LA Ute
03-12-2018, 03:08 PM
Lorenzo Romar to Pepperdine.

Why would any D1 program hire him?

DrumNFeather
03-12-2018, 03:21 PM

I think that is where he started.

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-12-2018, 03:49 PM

This seems pretty accurate.

LA Ute
03-12-2018, 07:02 PM
This seems pretty accurate.

Yeah, makes sense to me.

DrumNFeather
03-14-2018, 11:08 AM
Tubby Smith likely out at Memphis so that they can hire former player and current high school coach Penny Hardaway.

Rocker Ute
03-18-2018, 04:39 AM
...If he leaves, fine. I’ll hope that Hill gets as lucky as he’s been sometimes in the past when he spun that coaching hire roulette wheel...

Swish!

DrumNFeather
03-23-2018, 01:47 PM
Dan Hurley officially hired at UCONN.

La Salle has fired its coach. Tim Legler, who went there, has emerged as a candidate for the job. Why is this noteworthy? Well, WSU opened against an A-10 opponent in the Wooden Classic last year, so we may get La Salle!

Two Utes
03-24-2018, 01:17 PM
Dan Hurley officially hired at UCONN.

La Salle has fired its coach. Tim Legler, who went there, has emerged as a candidate for the job. Why is this noteworthy? Well, WSU opened against an A-10 opponent in the Wooden Classic last year, so we may get La Salle!

Rumors swirling that front runner for Utah State job is Craig Smith at South Dakota. I have met him. Home run hire by the Aggies in my opinion.

DrumNFeather
03-27-2018, 09:56 AM
Jeff Capel to Pittsburgh.

chrisrenrut
03-14-2019, 07:34 PM
Ernie Kent out at Wazzu.

SeattleUte
03-22-2019, 09:08 PM
I want this guy.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25953759/nate-oats-buffalo-want-do-more-ruin-your-bracket-again

LA Ute
03-23-2019, 05:32 PM
I want this guy.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25953759/nate-oats-buffalo-want-do-more-ruin-your-bracket-again

Here you go:

mharlan@utah.edu

DrumNFeather
03-23-2019, 11:41 PM
I want this guy.

It will only cost you a cool 12.75 million to get rid of the current guy.

sancho
03-24-2019, 08:53 AM
I want this guy.

He seems to be the hot mid-major. But there will always be hot mid majors for schools like Utah to gamble on. The Utes will improve next season, and then, with Tillman a senior, Allen a junior, and Rylan a sophomore, Utah will make the tournament with a good seed in 2021. At that point, Harlan will extend Larry.

Who is UCLA going to hire? Who is even on the list?

I would offer Bennett. I would offer Dana Altman. Maybe Greg Marshall. Maybe Fred Hoiberg. Of course Calipari and Few just to be sure.

All of those guys probably turn UCLA down. Then what? All the big name assistants have been taken the past few seasons. Who's a successful P5 who could take a step up? Buzz Williams? Chris Beard? Matt Painter? After that, UCLA would have to reach for a mid major coach who has not had sustained success or an NBA coach/assistant.

SeattleUte
03-24-2019, 09:01 AM
It will only cost you a cool 12.75 million to get rid of the current guy.

Has anyone on message boards or the sports pages of the Tribune or Deseret News actually read this contract? Look, whatever the buy out is, like LK’s salary it woudn’t be paid by the university anyway.

sancho
03-24-2019, 09:13 AM
Has anyone on message boards or the sports pages of the Tribune or Deseret News actually read this contract? Look, whatever the buy out is, like LK’s salary it woudn’t be paid by the university anyway.

I have not because I know what you know - we aren't keeping him because of a buyout. If it were his time to go, we'd can him.

UTEopia
03-24-2019, 10:26 AM
Scott Van Pelt did an interesting piece on Tom Izzo and his yelling at one of his freshmen players that apparently garnered attention. He pointed out that Izzo is a tough love coach, who pushes his players, but wins with a bunch of 3 and 4 year players and does not have a problem with transfers. I am not sure the transfer problem is as much on LK as it is on the makeup of the staff. I used to run into Juddy regularly. We were friends growing up and he moved into my parents LDS Ward when he returned to SLC - still lives there I think. Anyway, Juddy frequently said that much of what he and Donnie did was love up the kids because Rick was so brutal. I don't think Tommy is that guy. Don't know about DeMarlo. Anyway, this year and the transfers out will tell me whether I am ready to move on from Larry.

LA Ute
03-24-2019, 10:48 AM
Scott Van Pelt did an interesting piece on Tom Izzo and his yelling at one of his freshmen players that apparently garnered attention. He pointed out that Izzo is a tough love coach, who pushes his players, but wins with a bunch of 3 and 4 year players and does not have a problem with transfers. I am not sure the transfer problem is as much on LK as it is on the makeup of the staff. I used to run into Juddy regularly. We were friends growing up and he moved into my parents LDS Ward when he returned to SLC - still lives there I think. Anyway, Juddy frequently said that much of what he and Donnie did was love up the kids because Rick was so brutal. I don't think Tommy is that guy. Don't know about DeMarlo. Anyway, this year and the transfers out will tell me whether I am ready to move on from Larry.

Very interesting. It does give me pause that his staff is so stable, perhaps too stable. Are they stale, not stable? Why are they not getting upgraded jobs with other programs?

sancho
03-24-2019, 04:55 PM
Scott Van Pelt did an interesting piece on Tom Izzo and his yelling at one of his freshmen players that apparently garnered attention. He pointed out that Izzo is a tough love coach, who pushes his players, but wins with a bunch of 3 and 4 year players and does not have a problem with transfers.

One week ago, everyone was showing a picture of Izzo crying with his injured forward and talking about how caring Izzo is. Now, he's getting blasted for yelling at players.

I am not sure the transfer problem is as much on LK as it is on the makeup of the staff.

The "transfer problem"? Do we have more transfers than the average team? How many transfers were people we wish we'd kept?

I'm not sure we need someone to "love up" our players, unless Larry is much harsher in practice than in games. Larry almost never yells at his guys. In our own conference this season, I've seen Sean Miller and Mike Hopkins absolutely blast their players in ways Larry never has.

UTEopia
03-24-2019, 05:41 PM
The "transfer problem"? Do we have more transfers than the average team? How many transfers were people we wish we'd kept?

I would have wanted Chapman, Mawein, Daniels, Doutrive for sure. Chris Seeley and Isaiah Wright probably. As for the guys like Pop and Zamorra, I would rather have had their scholies go to guys who can play at PAC 12 level.

sancho
03-24-2019, 05:48 PM
I would have wanted Chapman, Mawein, Daniels, Doutrive for sure. Chris Seeley and Isaiah Wright probably. As for the guys like Pop and Zamorra, I would rather have had their scholies go to guys who can play at PAC 12 level.

I like all those guys, too. I guess what I'm saying is that we haven't suffered much because of transfers. Right now, Mawien is the biggest loss we've had in terms of impact, and that impact has not been all that much. Hendrix could take the title from Mawien. We'll see. Hendrix really should have stayed.

UTEopia
03-24-2019, 06:27 PM
I like all those guys, too. I guess what I'm saying is that we haven't suffered much because of transfers. Right now, Mawien is the biggest loss we've had in terms of impact, and that impact has not been all that much. Hendrix could take the title from Mawien. We'll see. Hendrix really should have stayed.

I disagree. We have been in rebuild mold every year since Loveridge, Taylor and Tucker graduated. We will be in rebuild mold again next year. The reason is we lose and bring in 5 or 6 new guys every year.

sancho
03-24-2019, 07:06 PM
I disagree. We have been in rebuild mold every year since Loveridge, Taylor and Tucker graduated. We will be in rebuild mold again next year. The reason is we lose and bring in 5 or 6 new guys every year.

I think that's a good point. Individually, none of those transfers were huge losses, but, the lack of continuity/cohesion may be hurting us. It looks like 4 of our starters next season are returning players, so that's nice.

I don't really know how many of the four main transfers could have stayed. Chapman wanted out. Daniels, by all accounts, was hurting the team. Mawien, I believe, could have stayed if we wanted him to. I really don't know about Hendrix - it seems like he wanted out?

As for Zamora/Popoola, it sounds like you are okay with letting that type of player go in exchange for a chance at something better. When he left, we all thought Mawien was in that same category. Not one word of lament here or anywhere else. His modest success with KState is easily the most surprising story of any of our transfers.

chrisrenrut
03-24-2019, 08:23 PM
King out at Cal. No big surprise there

UTEopia
03-25-2019, 08:46 AM
I think that's a good point. Individually, none of those transfers were huge losses, but, the lack of continuity/cohesion may be hurting us. It looks like 4 of our starters next season are returning players, so that's nice.

I don't really know how many of the four main transfers could have stayed. Chapman wanted out. Daniels, by all accounts, was hurting the team. Mawien, I believe, could have stayed if we wanted him to. I really don't know about Hendrix - it seems like he wanted out?

As for Zamora/Popoola, it sounds like you are okay with letting that type of player go in exchange for a chance at something better. When he left, we all thought Mawien was in that same category. Not one word of lament here or anywhere else. His modest success with KState is easily the most surprising story of any of our transfers.

I'm for not recruiting the Zamora/Popoola guys, but when you have transfers out, you have signings just to have bodies. As for the others, you have to work with the guys you sign.

sancho
03-25-2019, 09:23 AM
I'm for not recruiting the Zamora/Popoola guys, but when you have transfers out, you have signings just to have bodies. As for the others, you have to work with the guys you sign.

Sure, but, just for the sake of argument, let's suppose that at some point again in the future, we end up giving a scholarship to someone who turns out to not be amazing. I don't think it's too crazy to explain to that player that he will probably not get any playing time here, let him transfer, and take a flier on someone new.

We have had some very good transfers, so you can't say that we always just fill to have bodies. And we certainly do work with the guys we sign, but sometimes those guys want to go somewhere else. If this really has been a problem for us, it's been a small problem.

Scorcho
03-25-2019, 11:45 AM
Sure, but, just for the sake of argument, let's suppose that at some point again in the future, we end up giving a scholarship to someone who turns out to not be amazing. I don't think it's too crazy to explain to that player that he will probably not get any playing time here, let him transfer, and take a flier on someone new.

We have had some very good transfers, so you can't say that we always just fill to have bodies. And we certainly do work with the guys we sign, but sometimes those guys want to go somewhere else. If this really has been a problem for us, it's been a small problem.

Damn, how good is Dana Altman, how good would this team have been with a healthy Bol(x2)? And he’s got an #11 ranked class coming in next year. Clearly Oregon = the best basketball program in the conference currently. Elite 8 in 2016, final four 2017 and at least a sweet sixteen in 2019. That's a Majerus type run.

Supposing Miller stays at Arizona with his #1 ranked recruiting class, UCLA picks up a good to above avg. coach, and UW continues to improve this is a good hoops league. Add in a 2nd tier with ASU, USC and Utah and this is a league that should routinely get at least 4 into the dance every year.

sancho
03-25-2019, 12:14 PM
Damn, how good is Dana Altman, how good would this team have been with a healthy Bol(x2)? And he’s got an #11 ranked class coming in next year. Clearly Oregon = the best basketball program in the conference currently. Elite 8 in 2016, final four 2017 and at least a sweet sixteen in 2019. That's a Majerus type run.

Supposing Miller stays at Arizona with his #1 ranked recruiting class, UCLA picks up a good to above avg. coach, and UW continues to improve this is a good hoops league. Add in a 2nd tier with ASU, USC and Utah and this is a league that should routinely get at least 4 into the dance every year.

Yeah, that might be too good though. If UW, Oregon, UCLA, Arizona, USC, and ASU are all good, there won't be much room for Utah to become a tournament team.

I do think UCLA should at least Altman if he's interested.

UTEopia
03-25-2019, 04:23 PM

I think you and I just disagree on this. I'm not really looking forward to the 4th rebuilding season in a row.

sancho
03-25-2019, 04:26 PM
I'm not really looking forward to the 4th rebuilding season in a row.

Well, I can agree with that!

Scorcho
03-26-2019, 08:52 AM
Well, I can agree with that!

sounds like Dave Rose is stepping down, glad Utah didn't lure him away from BYU a few years back.

https://www.ksl.com/article/46518452/byus-dave-rose-to-hold-press-conference-amid-rumors-hes-stepping-down

DrumNFeather
03-26-2019, 08:54 AM
sounds like Dave Rose is stepping down, glad Utah didn't lure him away from BYU a few years back.

https://www.ksl.com/article/46518452/byus-dave-rose-to-hold-press-conference-amid-rumors-hes-stepping-down

Early names to replace him are Pope at UVU, Peery at Portland State, and Alex Jensen.

concerned
03-26-2019, 09:19 AM

"stepping down" is a euphamism

sancho
03-26-2019, 09:25 AM
Early names to replace him are Pope at UVU, Peery at Portland State, and Alex Jensen.

I think it's Pope, and I think it's already been worked out. Just my guess. AJ is way too beardy for Provo. I've seen Pope's name as an up and comer.

Scorcho
03-26-2019, 09:27 AM

which local news outlet will come up with the most cheesy cringe-worthy headline if its Pope?

sancho
03-26-2019, 09:28 AM

I feel bad for him. BYU threw the basketball program under a bus with independence. Rose had opportunities to leave, but the Y pressed him to stay. He gradually lost recruiting power, and losing games naturally followed.

May his replacement be fired in 3 years!

DrumNFeather
03-26-2019, 03:29 PM
Mike Anderson out at Arkansas and Tim Miles out at Nebraska.

concerned
03-26-2019, 03:47 PM
Mike Anderson out at Arkansas and Tim Miles out at Nebraska.

Anticipating that Miles would be let go in favor of Hoiberg, Wilner or someobdy wrote an article last week saying that WSU should hire him.

sancho
03-26-2019, 06:43 PM
Anticipating that Miles would be let go in favor of Hoiberg, Wilner or someobdy wrote an article last week saying that WSU should hire him.

I saw that too. I can't understand why Hoiberg would go to Nebraska. Surely there are better offers out there for him? Maybe he's from there.

sancho
03-26-2019, 06:45 PM

Internet is saying that Wazzu will hire the guy at San Francisco. The good news for us is that if WSU gets someone good, he will be gone within a few years.

LA Ute
03-26-2019, 11:25 PM

Trivia: Pope’s wife is Lynn Archibald’s daughter.

concerned
03-27-2019, 08:53 AM
A friend on the AAU circuit said he doubts Pope wants the job. His goal is to get to the ACC or SEC, and taking the BYU job does not advance that, and likely sets it back. Calipari has been promoting Pope for various jobs back east. The Qualtrics guy apparently is throwing a lot of money into this, so who knows.

sancho
03-27-2019, 10:01 AM
A friend on the AAU circuit said he doubts Pope wants the job. His goal is to get to the ACC or SEC, and taking the BYU job does not advance that, and likely sets it back. Calipari has been promoting Pope for various jobs back east. The Qualtrics guy apparently is throwing a lot of money into this, so who knows.

What is qualtrics?

I still think it will be Pope. You can't get to the ACC directly from UVU. Unless he has other offers, Pope will take it as a stepping stone.

redastheycome
03-27-2019, 10:10 AM
Survey software company based in Utah Co. (can't remember if it's in Provo exactly or one of the other towns, don't care enough to look it up).

What is qualtrics?

Diehard Ute
03-27-2019, 10:10 AM
What is qualtrics?

I still think it will be Pope. You can't get to the ACC directly from UVU. Unless he has other offers, Pope will take it as a stepping stone.

Qualtrics is a tech company from Utah county. The founder and CEO recently sold it for $8 Billion

Their users conference in Salt Lake earlier this year featured Barak Obama, Oprah Winfrey, Ashton Kutcher, Richard Branson and many others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

concerned
03-27-2019, 11:53 AM
he is also the guy who bought the cancer patch on the Jazz jerseys and appears with the players in the "5 for 5" (or whatever they are) promo spots during the Jazz games.

sancho
03-27-2019, 12:07 PM
So you're saying BYU has a big time booster who will open his wallet for this hire? I think they get Pope either way, but we'll see. Even with money, they are fairly limited in that there aren't many LDS options.

DrumNFeather
03-27-2019, 02:30 PM
Buffalo Coach Nate Oats to Alabama.

DrumNFeather
03-28-2019, 08:52 AM
SF coach Kyle Smith's deal at WSU is reportedly for 6 years, so he'll be given every opportunity to rebuild that program. Then again, if he does he'll probably be snagged by someone else.

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-28-2019, 11:24 AM
No discussion about UNLV's new coach turnover?! Marvin Menzies was fired and replaced with T.J. Otzelberger, who had been the head coach for the South Dakota State Jackrabbits. I'm old enough to remember that UNLV used to be the proudest basketball program in the state.

Applejack
03-28-2019, 11:54 AM
No discussion about UNLV's new coach turnover?! Marvin Menzies was fired and replaced with T.J. Otzelberger, who had been the head coach for the South Dakota State Jackrabbits. I'm old enough to remember that UNLV used to be the proudest basketball program in the state.

Kudos to UNLV for hiring two guys (I assume) with names that sound like made-up names for witness protection!

DrumNFeather
03-29-2019, 11:54 AM
Former Nevada and Georgia coach Mark Fox emerging as the guy at Cal.

sancho
03-29-2019, 11:56 AM
Former Nevada and Georgia coach Mark Fox emerging as the guy at Cal.

Really? That doesn't exactly fill me with fear. (famous last words, I know)

LA Ute
03-31-2019, 03:31 PM
Really? That doesn't exactly fill me with fear. (famous last words, I know)

Stop providing Cal with bulletin board material!

sancho
04-01-2019, 02:43 PM
I will say for the 50th time that we should do this with Kyle:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26417804/kentucky-offers-calipari-life-deal

Scorcho
04-01-2019, 03:10 PM

interesting blurb about UCLA in there (Calipari for 8 mill per), sounds like they are trying to hit a home run with this next hire.

sancho
04-01-2019, 05:24 PM

LA Ute
04-02-2019, 08:32 AM

I think this is probably a good idea. He’s going to be here as long as he wants anyway, and it would quiet down those who grumble about him, like me.

sancho
04-02-2019, 10:11 AM
I think this is probably a good idea. He’s going to be here as long as he wants anyway, and it would quiet down those who grumble about him, like me.

It's symbolic, and it makes positive news. It can only be good for recruiting. And it's a great gesture to someone who has been good to us.

sancho
04-03-2019, 08:20 AM
Jamie Dixon to UCLA appears to be official. Rather underwhelming considering the names that were being thrown around. I assume UCLA at least called Chris Beard and Tony Bennett to gauge interest. Texas A&M just hired a far more accomplished coach than UCLA. This is UCLA's second consecutive meh hire as well.

Dixon is solid like Alford was. Dixon was fine at Pitt and good at TCU. He might have great success at UCLA. It is, after all, one of the easiest places to win. All it will take is one great recruiting class and one great season for people to say "UCLA's back!" But this could also be another Alford experiment, and UCLA shouldn't have to do those.

Scratch
04-03-2019, 08:27 AM
Jamie Dixon to UCLA appears to be official. Rather underwhelming considering the names that were being thrown around. I assume UCLA at least called Chris Beard and Tony Bennett to gauge interest. Texas A&M just hired a far more accomplished coach than UCLA. This is UCLA's second consecutive meh hire as well.

Dixon is solid like Alford was. Dixon was fine at Pitt and good at TCU. He might have great success at UCLA. It is, after all, one of the easiest places to win. All it will take is one great recruiting class and one great season for people to say "UCLA's back!" But this could also be another Alford experiment, and UCLA shouldn't have to do those.

I think this is a much better hire than that. Dixon was excellent at Pitt and has had success at TCU, which seemed nearly impossible before he was hired. It's not a grand slam, but it's a very good hire.

chrisrenrut
04-03-2019, 08:35 AM

Dixon's resume seems a little more advanced than Alford's was when he was hired. I remember when Alford was hired how it was pretty underwhelming for UCLA. He had only coached at a couple of small schools, Iowa, and New Mexico prior to UCLA. Dixon's experience and success in the Big East/ACC and Big 12 is a more impressive that some success in the MW.

Dixon took Pitt to the NCAA's 9 out of 10 years, and went to the Sweet 16 twice and Elite 8 once. His TCU success is mediocre, NCAA's once and NIT twice.

sancho
04-03-2019, 09:03 AM
It's not a grand slam, but it's a very good hire.

Like I said, a solid hire. If UCLA is one of the top 5 programs in college basketball (as is often the claim with Kentucky, UNC, Kansas, and Duke), they should be able to hit home runs with their hires. The feel I'm getting from college basketball Twitter is "Eh, this might work. Could have been worse."

LA Ute
04-03-2019, 09:04 AM
Like I said, a solid hire. If UCLA is one of the top 5 programs in college basketball (as is often the claim with Kentucky, UNC, Kansas, and Duke), they should be able to hit home runs with their hires.

They keep doing this, over and over. It’s puzzling. UCLA fans here are depressed, but they have become fatalistic about coaching hires.

Scorcho
04-03-2019, 11:42 AM
They keep doing this, over and over. It’s puzzling. UCLA fans here are depressed, but they have become fatalistic about coaching hires.

Latest I've heard on Jamie Dixon: He's trying to negotiate his $8-million buyout down to $1 million. Barring that, UCLA will have to come up with the money. Have also been told that Mick Cronin is getting antsy and the next 24 hours could be critical to keeping him in the mix. https://twitter.com/latbbolch/status/1113487786357575680

sancho
04-04-2019, 01:55 PM

UCLA reality check

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/columnist/dan-wolken/2019/04/04/ucla-basketball-gets-reality-check-failure-hire-elite-coach/3365640002/

LA Ute
04-08-2019, 03:23 PM
From Jon Wilner's Hotline e-mail:

The UCLA search: What's another week, or month?

UCLA has been in the market for a basketball coach for 98 days.

For all the missteps the the Bruins have made and the criticism they've endured — for all the embarrassment the search has brought to the university — the goal remains attainable: Find the right coach.

Doesn’t matter if it takes 98 more days, they must get it right.

The Hotline has pondered three aspects of the search more than any others:

• No question is more fascinating than UCLA’s threshold for acceptable candidates on the twin fronts of NCAA compliance and personal conduct.

John Calipari has vacated two Final Fours. Jamie Dixon’s assistant at TCU was fired after being caught up in the FBI corruption case. The Bruins pursued both -- Dixon has not been implicated, to be fair -- yet some coaches reportedly didn’t clear the bar.

Without insight provided by those running the search, conclusions are difficult to draw. But it's riveting to watch a major search unfold in the era of exposed corruption and not detect a hint of selective morality.

If you're OK with vacated Final Fours, what aren't you OK with?

• The finances of the Calipari pursuit make little sense: Why would UCLA offer him what’s effectively a pay cut to move from Lexington to Westwood?

It makes such little sense, in fact, that I wonder if something went awry somewhere along the information flow.

• UCLA athletic director Dan Guerrero, senior associate Josh Rebholz and search mover/shaker Casey Wasserman were surely aware of Dixon’s $8 million buyout before discussions turned serious; they had to anticipate the possibility that TCU would refuse to negotiate a lower amount.

All of which makes me wonder if the Bruins were prepared to handle the $8 million until something went wrong at the last minute.

Yet even then, the athletic department receives $11 million annually from Under Armour. Was that revenue source unavailable?

Was there no way to conjure what would amount to $1.6 million annually (if you spread that $8 million over a five-year contract)?

• I’m also curious about the timing of the search as it involves two coaches in the Final Four: Virginia’s Tony Bennett and Texas Tech’s Chris Beard.

Maybe the Bruins had reason to believe, through back channels, that neither coach would be interested, so they moved on Dixon last week.

But if they locked on Dixon simply because they wanted to wrap things up, before attempting a hard play for Bennett or Beard, well, that’s inexcusable. You’ve waited three months and aren’t willing to wait one more week?

Again, it's baffling -- so supremely baffling that, as with the Calipari offer and the Dixon buyout, you wonder if there's more to the story.

And yet, there’s precedent for fallback hires working out quite well, not only in the Pac-12 but in Los Angeles specifically.

Three or four years from now, we just might look back on the search and conclude the Bruins stumbled into a fabulous hire -- that the whiff on Dixon was the best thing that could have happened to them.

That doesn't make sense, but a nonsensical outcome actually makes perfect sense given the course of events over the past 98 days. -- Jon Wilner

concerned
04-08-2019, 04:14 PM
Well, Rick Barnes is a pretty good hire, but he will be 65 in July. Not a long term solution.

sancho
04-08-2019, 04:43 PM
I thought Cronin was the backup plan to Dixon. I guess that fell apart?

NorthwestUteFan
04-08-2019, 09:03 PM
And now Rick Barnes is staying at Tennessee.

$5M isn't enough to bring a coach to UCLA.

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk

DrumNFeather
04-09-2019, 10:30 AM
Mick Cronin to UCLA official. He's going to have to stand on a ladder to shake Larry's hand at the end of the game.

DrumNFeather
04-09-2019, 10:32 AM
Also, if Chris Mullin steps down at St. Johns, reports are that Bobby Hurley would be their top target. Good riddance if that happens.

Scorcho
04-10-2019, 10:31 AM
white smoke billows out of the House that Porn built

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900065079/byu-expected-to-name-mark-pope-as-head-basketball-coach.html

LA Ute
04-10-2019, 10:49 AM
white smoke billows out of the House that Porn built

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900065079/byu-expected-to-name-mark-pope-as-head-basketball-coach.html

We will now hear that Pope is the solution to all their problems, the greatest hire ever, and that the Final Four beckons.

SeattleUte
04-10-2019, 10:51 AM
We will now hear that Pope is the solution to all their problems, the greatest hire ever, and that the Final Four beckons.

It is a very good hire. He'll do well there.

concerned
04-10-2019, 10:52 AM

Not for long.

LA Ute
04-10-2019, 10:55 AM

He can't do anything about the Honor Code or the other built-in limitations at BYU. His only hope is that the really good LDS players want to go there, and that there are enough of them to make a difference.

concerned
04-10-2019, 10:59 AM
He can't do anything about the Honor Code or the other built-in limitations at BYU. His only hope is that the really good LDS players want to go there, and that there are enough of them to make a difference.

he can do something about getting them to play defense. That would be a big difference.

LA Ute
04-10-2019, 11:02 AM
he can do something about getting them to play defense. That would be a big difference.

True. But you do need good athletes in order to play defense.

sancho
04-10-2019, 11:03 AM
Not for long.

it's a risk for him. He wants the job as a stepping stone, but it's a dead end if he underperforms. And he reportedly has no talent there to work with. Still, BYU has certain built-in advantages that he can try to take advantage of. I hope he fails miserably!

SeattleUte
04-10-2019, 11:04 AM

That's true, but they have made the right hire for working around those challenges. And they still have been whupping us even with those limitations and a bad coach. I think Pope will make BYU cool again for LDS kids and with just those and a few outliers he will make them good enough to challenge Gonzaga and keep whupping us.

sancho
04-10-2019, 11:12 AM
That's true, but they have made the right hire for working around those challenges. And they still have been whupping us even with those limitations and a bad coach. I think Pope will make BYU cool again for LDS kids and with just those and a few outliers he will make them good enough to challenge Gonzaga and keep whupping us.

All he has to do is beat Gonzaga 1 out of 3 times to get an NCAA bid. We've seen it so many times. I'd love that kind of deal.

mUUser
04-10-2019, 11:44 AM
…...the Final Four beckons.

That was one of the recruiting pitches to Frank Jackson. Reassemble the Lone Peak dream team to make a run at the FF. Obviously, he didn't buy it. My source is unassailable.

Scorcho
04-10-2019, 11:53 AM
he'll have to adjust to smaller arenas on the road (stolen from twitter)

:)

sancho
04-10-2019, 11:54 AM
he'll have to adjust to smaller arenas on the road (stolen from twitter)

:)

That's good stuff. I wish Twitter would realize that its true calling is to deliver Memes, Gifs, and other jokes.

DrumNFeather
04-10-2019, 04:26 PM
Steve Alford is the leader in the clubhouse for the Nevada job.

snafu
04-10-2019, 05:36 PM

A little much I think. They beat us pretty good this last year but that hasn't been the norm lately like it was before LK.

DrumNFeather
04-11-2019, 11:56 AM
Looks like Slocum is officially going to UNLV. Utes will be in the market for a new assistant...and it will be interesting to see if any players leave as a result.

Old Standing ute
04-11-2019, 12:52 PM
Will they elevate Chris Jones, currently director of basketball operations, father of Rylan?

LA Ute
04-11-2019, 01:39 PM
Will they elevate Chris Jones, currently director of basketball operations, father of Rylan?

He has good coaching credentials, doesn’t he? Still, LK needs an A-A assistant.

SeattleUte
04-11-2019, 02:15 PM
A little much I think. They beat us pretty good this last year but that hasn't been the norm lately like it was before LK.

Uh, BYU has beaten us two years in a row.

concerned
04-11-2019, 05:03 PM
He has good coaching credentials, doesn’t he? Still, LK needs an A-A assistant.

he needs an AAU assistant too.

Irving Washington
04-11-2019, 05:28 PM
he needs an AAU assistant too.
He needs a good recruiter, whatever that involves, who will work on the player's egos. That's probably a natural for a good recruiter

Utebiquitous
04-11-2019, 09:14 PM
He ought to reach out to Chris Burgess and convince him to return to Utah. Chris was a grad assistant with Larry before joining Pope at UVU. Terrific ties to SoCal and really throughout the West. Solid guy with some ambition. I would guess it will go to Jonesy though.

UtahsMrSports
04-12-2019, 07:44 AM
Markham reporting that Donny Daniels may be a candidate to replace Slocum, but also might retire. I can't imagine a better hire, if there is any truth to it at all.

Irving Washington
04-12-2019, 08:10 AM
Markham reporting that Donny Daniels may be a candidate to replace Slocum, but also might retire. I can't imagine a better hire, if there is any truth to it at all.
Daniels may be considering retirement because he doesn't have the energy. Great hire ten years ago, risky now.

jonathanfj69
08-27-2021, 04:41 PM
Hardcore Galleries with hot Hardcore photoshttp://massage.pornbogot.moesexy.com/?arianna motel 6 p star porn girls barely 18 porn druged young teen porn vivi fernandez porn retro nudest porn

jonathanfj69
08-27-2021, 04:43 PM
Hot new pictures each dayhttp://chatwithshemale.shemalehotels.adablog69.com/?daisy quick porn games mobile gay porn hub flying solo 2 porn burmese erotic porn spy on relatives porn

jonathanfj69
08-27-2021, 04:45 PM
New project started to be available today, check it outhttp://gimlijoke.trailfxbumper.moesexy.com/?princess streaming hot porn videos time time porn melanie scott porn star classic cartoon porn videos teen porn for free crazy lovers

jonathanfj69
08-27-2021, 04:47 PM
Enjoy our scandal amateur galleries that looks incredibly dirtyhttp://sexinbedphotosvanburen.energysexy.com/?malia ugly but hot girl porn porn clip videos porn websities howards movie porn big ass goggy styles porn tubes

jonathanfj69
08-27-2021, 04:48 PM
New project started to be available today, check it outhttp://nakedmilfsexrosenheim.amandahot.com/?katelin los angeles porn city gay white teen porn softcore porn for wife movies free free interactive online porn free japanese amateur porn videos

jonathanfj69
08-27-2021, 04:50 PM
New project started to be available today, check it outhttp://blowing.rockchubbymodelporn.miaxxx.com/?jaylynn hardcore avatar porn rocco banks porn kristen price and porn private porn parties porn squirting compilation videos

jonathanfj69
08-27-2021, 04:52 PM
Sexy photo galleries, daily updated picshttp://hardcorepornzurich.gigixo.com/?virginia lesiban porn star diesel clothing porn ad brigitte bulgaria porn videos granny pinoy porn youtube broadcast yourself with porn

jonathanfj69
08-27-2021, 04:54 PM
Nude Sex Pics, Sexy Naked Women, Hot Girls Pornhttp://antisexypicleipzig.danexxx.com/?jaylyn furry huge gallery porn long porn tube whipping free cartoonnetwork anime porn female bodybuilder handjob porn nurse porn comics

jonathanfj69
08-27-2021, 04:56 PM
Scandal porn galleries, daily updated listshttp://stone.cityfreeavatarporn.hoterika.com/?berenice people still buy porn on dvd free black master gay porn lower porn age to 16 free xxx hot wife porn movies rare porn site

jonathanfj69
08-27-2021, 04:58 PM
Hot photo galleries blogs and pictureshttp://xxxingirlitanagar.energysexy.com/?alyson free sorority house porn dirty girl porn free most disgusting porn porn pics hentai steve drake porn jasmine klein

jonathanfj69
08-27-2021, 04:59 PM
Young Heaven - Naked Teens & Young Porn Pictureshttp://hdbbwpics.dresden.hoterika.com/?nayeli porn webcam archives free porn gallery and huge tits free porn gang wives xxx indian porn video free cleop porn

jonathanfj69
08-27-2021, 05:01 PM
Sexy photo galleries, daily updated picshttp://chicago.topanasex.com/?ellen henti tenticles pregnant porn big amateur porn movies free free streaming tease porn vintage porn tubes category rea porn videos

jonathanfj69
08-27-2021, 05:03 PM
Hot teen picshttp://homexxxpics.varanasi.miyuhot.com/?kaitlyn porn sites with teens sfood porn xxx porn bids streaming ass porn simony diamond porn

jonathanfj69
08-27-2021, 05:05 PM
Sexy pictures each adyhttp://songnamfunny.sex.clips.moesexy.com/?kaley free asian teen anal porn maid seducion porn massage porn humor porn xxx free pics leg porn tube

jonathanfj69
08-27-2021, 05:07 PM
New sexy website is available on the webhttp://tubod.sextgirlsnaked.sexjanet.com/?katarina why porn berry porn free snimsl porn arabia porn movies porn asian stepson

jonathanfj69
08-27-2021, 05:09 PM
Scandal porn galleries, daily updated listshttp://lubeckhotwomen2016.energysexy.com/?annabella amuture porn forums kristine porn demi moore and porn male maid forum porn amateur french porn videos

jonathanfj69
08-27-2021, 05:11 PM
Hot teen picshttp://igetreallyhornygiessen.danexxx.com/?breanna legend of zelda porn movie tiny angels very small porn watch free 2g mobile porn free hot young teen porn videos free code only porn sites

jonathanfj69
08-27-2021, 05:13 PM
Browse over 500 000 of the best porn galleries, daily updated collectionshttp://arab16com.hotnatalia.com/?taylor schoool teen free porn videos free porn bounces free porn aunt free online caleberty porn videos ggw porn vides

jonathanfj69
08-27-2021, 05:15 PM
New hot project galleries, daily updateshttp://bilecikmit.hot.girls.hotnatalia.com/?patricia orgasmin adult porn mild streaming porn free iphone porn xtream mobi naked black male dicks and prn free porn sites like porno tube

jonathanfj69
08-27-2021, 05:16 PM
Young Heaven - Naked Teens & Young Porn Pictureshttp://sxsgirl.mandurah.danexxx.com/?natasha overweight obese porn porn site 2008 jelsoft enterprises ltd sexy teenage chinese porn sarah elizabeth porn english free young interacial porn

jonathanfj69
08-27-2021, 05:18 PM
Young Heaven - Naked Teens & Young Porn Pictureshttp://tamilxviteo.cityofparanaque.miyuhot.com/?tatiana power woman porn free pictures fucking porn tattoed porn girls indian lactating porn louis griffon porn videos

jonathanfj69
08-27-2021, 05:20 PM
Girls of Desire: All babes in one place, crazy, arthttp://imagesexy.energysexy.com/?madalynn granny porn sexy video pokemon bestiality porn striping porn hd free xxx lesbian porn movies porn star mullender

jonathanfj69
08-27-2021, 05:21 PM
Hot teen picshttp://hortsexyvideos.agra.miaxxx.com/?mariana music video girls in porn max porn int porn star lukas t rk e porn locate porn stars

jonathanfj69
08-27-2021, 05:22 PM
Browse over 500 000 of the best porn galleries, daily updated collectionshttp://videogirlpussy.alypics.com/?jolie tinkerbell porn japanese fetish porn joanne thomas bodybuilder porn porn sex positions free porn dominican women vido

jonathanfj69
08-27-2021, 05:24 PM
Girls of Desire: All babes in one place, crazy, arthttp://cheergirlsnaked.bangued.hotnatalia.com/?kacie crude explicit socially unacceptable hardcore porn xhamster old lesbians porn tranny porn boots caroon porn thumbs hot sexy dirty ginger babe porn

jonathanfj69
08-27-2021, 05:26 PM
Browse over 500 000 of the best porn galleries, daily updated collectionshttp://bdsm.osaka.alypics.com/?anahi porn netflixs porn movie with legend madison high brow porn 2 guys 2 girls porn porn upload download streaming

jonathanfj69
08-27-2021, 05:28 PM
College Girls Porn Picshttp://milkmaidsporn.pornhentigaems.miaxxx.com/?mina male homosexual porn scan my pc for porn gay porn dvds buy nude men on womens porn unatural porn

jonathanfj69
11-19-2021, 12:24 AM
Girls of Desire: All babes in one place, crazy, arthttp://daegusexykhani.miaxxx.com/?tori catoon network ben 10 porn pics clark porn actress celeberty porn tube scfi porn moives free granny porn tube

jonathanfj69
11-19-2021, 12:33 AM
Sexy pictures each dayhttp://iowadatingquiz.blackfamilyporn.miyuhot.com/?zoey fee ladyboy porn movies cunninglus porn hardcore homemade porn videos celebbrity porn videos free easy access porn

jonathanfj69
11-19-2021, 12:44 AM
Dirty Porn Photos, daily updated gallerieshttp://homemadeporn.goiania.alexysexy.com/?madalynn free stickam porn unregistered animated porn sapphic ultra hq porn video amateur free nn porn video audition no downlode simple free porn nasty

jonathanfj69
11-19-2021, 12:48 AM
Free Porn Galleries - Hot Sex Pictureshttp://navsari.blnude.miyuhot.com/?karlee free porn sex tv channels online pygmies porn denise spencer porn free porn asses in public free tube like gay porn movies

jonathanfj69
12-28-2021, 01:13 PM
Hardcore Galleries with hot Hardcore photoshttp://puducherry.pornbbwgallery.moesexy.com/?evelyn naruto sexy porn wii streaming porn biggest white dicks in porn barely legal anal porn melons porn tube

jonathanfj69
12-28-2021, 01:15 PM
Teen Girls Pussy Pics. Hot gallerieshttp://jolomodalimage.energysexy.com/?nicole senior sex porn videos fat redheaded porn models hentai porn search engine illegally young porn hogtied free porn

jonathanfj69
12-28-2021, 01:16 PM
Hot new pictures each dayhttp://niigata.swingers.porn.gigixo.com/?joy cartoon sex xxx 3d vampire porn west coast video porn traci lords porn movie clips porn sites woring in saudi classic ebony porn pics

jonathanfj69
12-28-2021, 01:22 PM
College Girls Porn Picshttp://seeasianporn.adablog69.com/?eve wiener porn tube videos porn emporer hot chicks porn babes kinkiy porn games office porn videos

jonathanfj69
12-28-2021, 01:24 PM
Hot photo galleries blogs and pictureshttp://homemadepornkawanakajima.miyuhot.com/?joselyn black porn star video free broadband porn gay porn robin free xxx porn videos online the porn song