PDA

View Full Version : The 2018 "Why Is That Team On TV?" NIT Tournament Thread

U-Ute
03-12-2018, 01:02 PM
I think the only interesting thing I can say is that Jim Les is coaching the UC Davis Aggies.

So, yeah.

DrumNFeather
03-12-2018, 01:09 PM
20-10, RPI of 101, lost to Washington, split with Hawaii and lost to UVU.

U-Ute
03-12-2018, 01:24 PM
Some interesting experimentation with the rules for the NIT this year:

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2018-02-27/experimental-rules-be-used-nit

The 2018 NIT will feature four rules modifications:
​• The three-point line will be extended by approximately 1 foot 8 inches to the same distance used by FIBA for international competition (22 feet 1.75 inches).
​• The free throw lane will be widened from 12 feet to 16 feet, consistent with the width used by the NBA.
​• The games will be divided into four 10-minute quarters as opposed to two 20-minute halves. Teams will shoot two free throws beginning with the fifth foul of each quarter.
• The shot clock will reset to 20 seconds after an offensive rebound instead of the full 30 seconds.

The wider lane should be interesting.

UtahsMrSports
03-12-2018, 01:49 PM
I feel like this year's team has better leadership from the players than last year's did. I feel like we are going to win somewhat comfortably (9-12 points).

sancho
03-12-2018, 02:59 PM
I feel like this year's team has better leadership from the players than last year's did. I feel like we are going to win somewhat comfortably (9-12 points).

Maybe. I understand if players don't get up for the NIT. The tournament is pointless.

LA Ute
03-12-2018, 03:06 PM
I hope they come out angry and just decimate UC Davis. Show some pride, make a statement, small though it may be to the outside basketball world.

UBlender
03-12-2018, 04:47 PM
Maybe. I understand if players don't get up for the NIT. The tournament is pointless.

The NIT seems to often be simply a matter of which teams are happy to be there and give a determined effort vs those who are disappointed and ready for the season to be over. I'm not sure which bucket these Utes will fall into. They do have good senior leadership and appear to be a close group, but they also (should have) had their sights set on bigger things and may be deflated right now. Combine that with a fairly short rotation and I fear some guys are running on fumes (although only two games in the last two weeks might help). I hope they show well, I have enjoyed watching this gritty team exceed the sum of its parts. But I'm not sure a deep NIT run is in the cards. I think we'll have a good indication pretty early on vs UC Davis.

Mormon Red Death
03-14-2018, 07:42 PM
Pac12 refs? Larry gets sent to the showers

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

sancho
03-14-2018, 07:48 PM
Pac12 refs? Larry gets sent to the showers

Letting out a season's worth of referee frustration.

Mormon Red Death
03-14-2018, 08:10 PM
Glad we could start the second half so well

Mormon Red Death
03-14-2018, 09:04 PM
Woohoo

sancho
03-14-2018, 09:07 PM
Woohoo

Survive and advance.

DrumNFeather
03-14-2018, 09:34 PM
I'm hoping that these guys just need to get past the first game to realize that they actually give a S about playing and winning. Loved watching Larry get fired up...he was probably used to the Pac 12 refs who would probably let Hurley slap them in the face and not call a T.

Utah
03-14-2018, 09:39 PM
Good times. I heard about Larry's chair tossing and was told he was channeling Bobby Knight...So I turned it on, found the clip, and...uh...so benign. Ha ha. Still, fun to finish watching the game and fun to get another.

Also, DrumNFeather, Buster Olney said today that he thinks Harper stays in Washington or goes to Philly...I hope he goes to Philly. he he.

UtahsMrSports
03-14-2018, 09:54 PM

Swish?

LA Ute
03-15-2018, 06:49 AM
Swish?

Yes. We bow in your general direction!

LA Ute
03-15-2018, 06:53 AM
When Larry got thrown out, it seemed to me that as he began to contemplate yet another first-around loss in the NIT, he decided to say to himself, and to anyone else paying attention, “*!?!*#!?! it, I’m not letting this happen again.“

DrumNFeather
03-15-2018, 07:19 AM
When Larry got thrown out, it seemed to me that as he began to contemplate yet another first-around loss in the NIT, he decided to say to himself, and to anyone else paying attention, “*!?!*#!?! it, I’m not letting this happen again.“

I was kind of hoping he'd take Dave with him because man, that guy looked completely checked out in the game...now granted, he's got a lot going on, he either is or is about to become a dad for the first time, I get it. I just loved how Bibbins just picked the team up and carried them until they all got on board. Hopefully a weekend of watching the big dance gets these guys motivated to make a run in this tournament...or at least just try to keep their season going.

Scratch
03-15-2018, 08:48 AM
I was kind of hoping he'd take Dave with him because man, that guy looked completely checked out in the game...now granted, he's got a lot going on, he either is or is about to become a dad for the first time, I get it. I just loved how Bibbins just picked the team up and carried them until they all got on board. Hopefully a weekend of watching the big dance gets these guys motivated to make a run in this tournament...or at least just try to keep their season going.

I was watching that and wondering if Bibbins was saying to himself "I'm not going to let my college career end against a Big West team."

sancho
03-15-2018, 09:04 AM
I was watching that and wondering if Bibbins was saying to himself "I'm not going to let my college career end against a Big West team."

He sure shut down the Big West POY.

Solon
03-15-2018, 11:18 AM

In the second half (third quarter?), I was surprised to hear the camera pick up Bibbins yell loudly at his team to rebound (two Utah players had just fumbled it out of bounds after a UC-Davis miss). He's probably been yelling all season at his teammates, but it was nice to hear.

This team has mystified me but I was glad to see a W. I'm with Larry K. - I couldn't have handled another NIT meltdown.

Old Standing ute
03-15-2018, 12:49 PM
This game was one of the most fun to watch in person. An uphill battle & then it felt like once Utes were ahead it was all over--& it was.

Larry K's rant was classic. I asked his son Cam after the game if his dad was ever that mad at him---he smiled & said "once or twice".

Tillman is a beast under the basket. And Jayce played well.

SoCalPat
03-15-2018, 12:52 PM
The second round of the NIT? Such a new, unfamiliar feeling ...

sancho
03-15-2018, 01:55 PM
An uphill battle & then it felt like once Utes were ahead it was all over--& it was.

We hit a three to go up 8 with 6 minutes left. The TV guy called it right there. "That should probably do it." Felt about 5 minutes premature to me.

UBlender
03-16-2018, 10:47 AM
This game was one of the most fun to watch in person. An uphill battle & then it felt like once Utes were ahead it was all over--& it was.

Larry K's rant was classic. I asked his son Cam after the game if his dad was ever that mad at him---he smiled & said "once or twice".

Tillman is a beast under the basket. And Jayce played well.

Yes, I was thinking about this after the game. He didn't get a ton of minutes because Utah found it effective to go with Tillman and Rawson at the 4/5 some when Collette was out, but Jayce's energy and effort in the first quarter (I know this sounds silly) may have kept Utah from going down 15-20 and never recovering. He helped them maintain contact and then they were able to strike in the second half.

concerned
03-16-2018, 12:48 PM
I have seen a lot of comments that the NCAA should adopt the NIT rules--play four quarters and move the 3 point line back.

sancho
03-16-2018, 01:25 PM
I have seen a lot of comments that the NCAA should adopt the NIT rules--play four quarters and move the 3 point line back.

I'm good with moving the line back. I don't know why anyone cares about how 40 minutes is broken up.

snafu
03-16-2018, 01:36 PM
And let's go ahead and give players that sixth foul as well.

sancho
03-19-2018, 10:53 AM
Here we go. LSU Tigers.

Kenpom has them #61, Utah #67. Sagarin has Utah #59, LSU #68.

LSU has wins against tournament teams Michigan, Houston, A&M (twice), Mizzou, Arkansas (twice). Enough good wins to be a tournament team. Most of their losses were to tournament teams or bubble teams, but they did lose to UGa (twice), Vandy, and S Carolina as well.

They have a 9-man rotation. Three players average double digit scoring. They have 7 players shooting 34% or better from outside.

Waters is the star - he's a 5'11'' guard getting 16 ppg, 3.4 rpg, and 5.9 apg. Reath is the big - getting 12.7 ppg, 5.4 rpg, and shooting 55% from the floor and 43% from outside.

SoCalPat
03-19-2018, 12:29 PM
And let's go ahead and give players that sixth foul as well.

There is no justifiably good idea that comes from this. Your starters' bad habits that get them into foul trouble aren't really addressed, and your bench players that would come in for a foul-plagued starter get less floor time and development. More fouls, more foul shots, more dragging out of games. No thanks.

SoCalPat
03-19-2018, 12:38 PM
Here we go. LSU Tigers.

Kenpom has them #61, Utah #67. Sagarin has Utah #59, LSU #68.

LSU has wins against tournament teams Michigan, Houston, A&M (twice), Mizzou, Arkansas (twice). Enough good wins to be a tournament team. Most of their losses were to tournament teams or bubble teams, but they did lose to UGa (twice), Vandy, and S Carolina as well.

They have a 9-man rotation. Three players average double digit scoring. They have 7 players shooting 34% or better from outside.

Waters is the star - he's a 5'11'' guard getting 16 ppg, 3.4 rpg, and 5.9 apg. Reath is the big - getting 12.7 ppg, 5.4 rpg, and shooting 55% from the floor and 43% from outside.

If LSU sweeps Georgia instead of vice-versa, this is a tournament team. They've got more high moments than Utah, but more bad losses, too. We're 4.5-point favorites, which is probably right, given LSU hasn't won a road game since January, and has lost eight straight. Strangely enough, it won it's first four, including games at Michigan and TAMU.

Scorcho
03-19-2018, 02:49 PM
If LSU sweeps Georgia instead of vice-versa, this is a tournament team. They've got more high moments than Utah, but more bad losses, too. We're 4.5-point favorites, which is probably right, given LSU hasn't won a road game since January, and has lost eight straight. Strangely enough, it won it's first four, including games at Michigan and TAMU.

these games are so hard to read. Utah looked both good and pathetic at times against UC Davis. Maybe Larry needs to throw a chair during the pre-game just to ensure we get a full effort from the tip.

sancho
03-19-2018, 03:03 PM
these games are so hard to read. Utah looked both good and pathetic at times against UC Davis. Maybe Larry needs to throw a chair during the pre-game just to ensure we get a full effort from the tip.

Let's all throw a chair at 6:45 tonight.

LA Ute
03-19-2018, 05:18 PM
This is for good luck tonight:

https://www.utahby5.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2358&stc=1

DrumNFeather
03-19-2018, 07:21 PM
Utes should've just done this all year...way more fun.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Scorcho
03-19-2018, 07:37 PM
Utes should've just done this all year...way more fun.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

utes are Rollin, the only unanswered question is whether BYU could make it past half court :cool:

sancho
03-19-2018, 08:43 PM
Pull 'em, Larry. It's jokl time.

Solon
03-19-2018, 08:53 PM
Pull 'em, Larry. It's jokl time.

Well this was fun.

sancho
03-19-2018, 09:15 PM
St Mary's fans are jacked about the nit.

justaute
03-19-2018, 10:50 PM
That was a fun game. Sat in Section W, Row 5 (front) and got some good views.

justaute
03-19-2018, 11:15 PM
Well, Washington lost to SMC 81-85. I guess I just attended our last home-game of the season. Let's go beat SMC.

snafu
03-19-2018, 11:29 PM
Down go the Trojans!

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-19-2018, 11:54 PM
Utes last Pac-12 team still playing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rocker Ute
03-20-2018, 05:24 AM

Not a great year for the PAC 12 in both football and basketball. Yikes.

LA Ute
03-20-2018, 06:00 AM
So can we overcome our recent St. Mary’s curse? They’ve lost only one game at home all season, against Gonzaga. How do we match up against them? Sure would be nice to get a good post-season win.

Applejack
03-20-2018, 07:11 AM

Stupid pac12; we always have to clean up their mess.

snafu
03-20-2018, 01:55 PM
There is no justifiably good idea that comes from this. Your starters' bad habits that get them into foul trouble aren't really addressed, and your bench players that would come in for a foul-plagued starter get less floor time and development. More fouls, more foul shots, more dragging out of games. No thanks.

I guess you are okay with watching kids sit for huge portions of the game. Of course, the refs don't ever screw up, right?

SoCalPat
03-20-2018, 05:09 PM
So can we overcome our recent St. Mary’s curse? They’ve lost only one game at home all season, against Gonzaga. How do we match up against them? Sure would be nice to get a good post-season win.

It's not a St. Mary's curse, but a WCC curse. Pretty sure we've lost our last four against teams from that league (Gonzaga, St. Mary's, BYU, San Francisco).

SoCalPat
03-20-2018, 05:10 PM
I guess you are okay with watching kids sit for huge portions of the game. Of course, the refs don't ever screw up, right?

Foul trouble has been part of the game since rules were drawn up. If kids sitting is what's driving this, then just drop the charade and give them unlimited fouls.

Mormon Red Death
03-20-2018, 07:14 PM
Foul trouble has been part of the game since rules were drawn up. If kids sitting is what's driving this, then just drop the charade and give them unlimited fouls.They should just do 2 shots and the ball for every foul past 5.

sancho
03-21-2018, 10:10 AM
It's not a St. Mary's curse, but a WCC curse. Pretty sure we've lost our last four against teams from that league (Gonzaga, St. Mary's, BYU, San Francisco).

Kenpom/Sagarin have St Mary's rated much higher than us (30 or so vs 60 or so).

Wasn't there once a rumor that we negotiated with Randy Bennet, but he turned us down? I wonder (if the rumor is true) whether or not he regrets that. Larry makes soooooo much money. That could have been Randy's $$$.

concerned
03-21-2018, 10:19 AM
Kenpom/Sagarin have St Mary's rated much higher than us (30 or so vs 60 or so).

Wasn't there once a rumor that we negotiated with Randy Bennet, but he turned us down? I wonder (if the rumor is true) whether or not he regrets that. Larry makes soooooo much money. That could have been Randy's $$$.

I think it was more than a rumor. IIRC, it was fairly well acknowledged at the time. He has turned down lots of other jobs, so who knows if he regrets it.

LA Ute
03-21-2018, 10:51 AM
I think it was more than a rumor. IIRC, it was fairly well acknowledged at the time. He has turned down lots of other jobs, so who knows if he regrets it.

Chris Hill called him (or maybe his agent) and had a conversation or two. My sense is that it never got serious. I think anything else that has been said about those discussions has to be considered rumor.

concerned
03-21-2018, 10:54 AM
Chris Hill called him (or maybe his agent) and had a conversation or two. My sense is that it never got serious. I think anything else that has been said about those discussions has to be considered rumor.

he was our first choice

I got curious so I went back and googled it. I forgot that good ole JazzyUte broke the story and all hell broke loose. But it got serious enough that Bennett turned down an offer.

https://www.blocku.com/2011/3/23/2067992/randy-bennett-likely-to-turn-down-utah-job

http://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/smc-basketball-coach-bennett-says-no-utah

LA Ute
03-21-2018, 11:47 AM
he was our first choice

I got curious so I went back and googled it. I forgot that good ole JazzyUte broke the story and all hell broke loose. But it got serious enough that Bennett turned down an offer.

https://www.blocku.com/2011/3/23/2067992/randy-bennett-likely-to-turn-down-utah-job

http://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/smc-basketball-coach-bennett-says-no-utah

Could be. I don't know. (BTW, I have no confidence - none - in Jazzy as a source of information. He had that blog taken away from him because of his antics.) I do recall Comrade Crimson going nuts over that and claiming to have inside info that Hill did something wrong and offended Bennett. That was a wild time.

I do recall that at that time all the information about this was coming from Bennett's agent. As for the NCB Sports report, Chris Hill's son goes by Christopher and was at that time working for the U. Maybe Christoper was actually the guest at that hotel. Chris registered using his son's name. (Cue suspenseful background music here.)

BTW, a Google search of "Randy Bennett job offers" shows that since the 2011 fiasco with Utah he has turned down Cal and UNLV, and last fall signed a new 10-year contract with St. Mary's. FWIW. Also FWIW, everything I've ever heard from people close to Chris Hill is that Krysko was always his first choice. That infuriates some people but it may well be true.

concerned
03-21-2018, 11:49 AM
Could be. I don't know. (BTW, I have no confidence - none - in Jazzy as a source of information. He had that blog taken away from him because of his antics.) I do recall Comrade Crimson going nuts over that and claiming to have inside info that Hill did something wrong and offended Bennett. That was a wild time.

BTW, a Google search of "Randy Bennett job offers" shows that since the 2011 fiasco with Utah he has turned down Cal and UNLV, and last fall signed a new 10-year contract with St. Mary's. FWIW.

IIRC, we didnt offer Bennett enough money. He felt lowballed.

LA Ute
03-21-2018, 11:55 AM

Right! I forgot that narrative. Comrade Crimson swore that it was true. But I also recall that it was Bennett's agent who was pushing that narrative.

UtahsMrSports
03-21-2018, 11:57 AM

BTW, a Google search of "Randy Bennett job offers" shows that since the 2011 fiasco with Utah he has turned down Cal and UNLV, and last fall signed a new 10-year contract with St. Mary's. FWIW.

Would it surprise anyone if Jazzy was getting his stuff from Uf.n or from self-proclaimed insiders on utezone?

LA Ute
03-21-2018, 12:05 PM
Would it surprise anyone if Jazzy was getting his stuff from Uf.n or from self-proclaimed insiders on utezone?

Not me.

Utebiquitous
03-21-2018, 12:10 PM
I don't think Jazzy had the entire story. No question Bennett was on Chris' list but Larry was number one just as he had been a few years before when Boylen was eventually hired.

DrumNFeather
03-21-2018, 12:31 PM
I don't think Jazzy had the entire story. No question Bennett was on Chris' list but Larry was number one just as he had been a few years before when Boylen was eventually hired.

Right - the whole reason he was elevated to the Bucks HC job was because we had been sniffing around and had wanted him as our HC.

I think the Bennett stuff was also a matter of timing...i.e. word got out that we were interested and Bennett may have been interested too, but before it could get to that the report was that we were set to offer/hire him and it all fell apart.

SeattleUte
03-21-2018, 12:46 PM

Thank you for reminding me of one of my worst memories as a Ute fan. I’d blocked out that one of LK’s two NCAA appearances resulted in the nightmare of our team losing by what, 40, to a heavy underdog Gonzaga, and with the bracket depleted. I’ve never seen such a starker display of outcoaching; they were ready for us, weren’t they. I’ve never been more humiliated as a sports fan. That one was so painful for many reasons, including our false hopes dashed.

sancho
03-21-2018, 01:16 PM

I hope it's true, knowing now that Utah was willing to pay top 10 money for a coach.

concerned
03-21-2018, 01:51 PM
You guys act as though JazzyUte was the only one reporting it. It was all over mainstream media too, e.g., the article I pasted from the bay area nbc affiliate. Now Bennett has an incentive to overstate what happened with Hill, and Hill has an incentive to understate it, but generally we know that offers are not made unless the offeror knows it will be accepted. Things got down the road with Bennett before they did with Larry, for whatever reason. i suspect we thought we could get Bennett cheaper than Larry, and that explains the interest. Or maybe we thought Larry would not be interested then.

LA Ute
03-21-2018, 03:16 PM
Thank you for reminding me of one of my worst memories as a Ute fan. I’d blocked out that one of LK’s two NCAA appearances resulted in the nightmare of our team losing by what, 40, to a heavy underdog Gonzaga, and with the bracket depleted. I’ve never seen such a starker display of outcoaching; they were ready for us, weren’t they. I’ve never been more humiliated as a sports fan. That one was so painful for many reasons, including our false hopes dashed.

Should I refrain from referring to the name Gonzaga in order to avoid triggering you?

LA Ute
03-21-2018, 03:19 PM
You guys act as though JazzyUte was the only one reporting it. It was all over mainstream media too, e.g., the article I pasted from the bay area nbc affiliate. Now Bennett has an incentive to overstate what happened with Hill, and Hill has an incentive to understate it, but generally we know that offers are not made unless the offeror knows it will be accepted. Things got down the road with Bennett before they did with Larry, for whatever reason. i suspect we thought we could get Bennett cheaper than Larry, and that explains the interest. Or maybe we thought Larry would not be interested then.

I just haven’t paid much attention to this. I do remember being told that Bennett's agent was spreading info. I'll see what more I can find out.

SeattleUte
03-21-2018, 04:37 PM
Should I refrain from referring to the name Gonzaga in order to avoid triggering you?

Haha.

sancho
03-21-2018, 09:25 PM
Not that a Collette injury is ever good, but this is just awful timing with Jayce at 3 fouls. Finally got Landale into foul trouble too. Collette would have a heyday with the backup.

concerned
03-21-2018, 09:49 PM
Can I say just one more time that this is the worst rebounding team I have ever seen? I promise I won't say it again this season.

sancho
03-21-2018, 09:50 PM
Can I say just one more time that this is the worst rebounding team I have ever seen? I promise I won't say it again this season.

This is an appropriate way for our season to end. Rebounding has been the biggest weakness of this team all year.

sancho
03-21-2018, 10:00 PM
This is an appropriate way for our season to end.

I was trying for a reverse jinx there in regulation.

Not sure I love our chances in OT without a big guy. Not sure why St Mary's didn't go to Landale any of their final three possessions of regulation.

sancho
03-21-2018, 10:11 PM
Unreal. Amazing.

I wish he heated up more than 3-4 times per season. What a performance in OT.

LA Ute
03-21-2018, 10:14 PM
Wow. I got to see only the last 4:00 of OT. So nice to see them beat St. Mary’s and that little fat guy Bennett. What a great clutch effort.

sancho
03-21-2018, 10:15 PM
I really think the Gaels blew it by not going to Landale more, especially after Jayce fouled out.

LA Ute
03-21-2018, 10:38 PM
Sounds like our free throw defense was excellent!

sancho
03-21-2018, 10:51 PM

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-21-2018, 11:30 PM

He’s been watching The Office!

Two Utes
03-22-2018, 09:26 AM
He’s been watching The Office!

I will be in New York for business Monday thru Wednesday. Guess who is going to the Garden! Magic Happens!!!

concerned
03-22-2018, 09:32 AM
I will be in New York for business Monday thru Wednesday. Guess who is going to the Garden! Magic Happens!!!

I went to the 1974 NIT when i was in college. My dad was buddies with bud jack and got me seats right behind bill foster. I had a great time, you will too. It was the only time I've ever been to Madison square garden. I thought it was a cavernous pit. Matched only by the cap center in DC.

Two Utes
03-22-2018, 09:40 AM
I went to the 1974 NIT when i was in college. My dad was buddies with bud jack and got me seats right behind bill foster. I had a great time, you will too. It was the only time I've ever been to Madison square garden. I thought it was a cavernous pit. Matched only by the cap center in DC.

I was 8 years old. MY first memory of Utah basketball is that game. Starting guards Judge Tyrone Medley and Luther Ticky Burden.

Damn you are old.

concerned
03-22-2018, 09:51 AM
I was 8 years old. MY first memory of Utah basketball is that game. Starting guards Judge Tyrone Medley and Luther Ticky Burden.

Damn you are old.

Young at heart though. And looking much younger than seattle ute.

My first memory is my dad taking me to the ohio state game, billy mcgill v. Lucas siegfried and havlichek, iirc

SoCalPat
03-22-2018, 12:03 PM
I really think the Gaels blew it by not going to Landale more, especially after Jayce fouled out.

They tried. But Donnie Tillman's was assignment-sound last night. Blew it on the dunk/3-point play, but I don't think Landale got another FG after that. Given that Collette didn't play in the second half, Jayce fouled out and PVD flat out didn't show up, Tillman was a massive underrated X factor last night, on both sides of the floor.

SoCalPat
03-22-2018, 12:05 PM
Beating St. Mary's reminded me of our season-ending run in Year 2. Over the long haul, they don't rank on any list of significant accomplishments, but in the short-term, it's a great feeling to win like we did and to give us something to look forward to in next year. Making it this far, like we did, has gotten rid of almost all the bad taste from Vegas.

concerned
03-22-2018, 12:25 PM
They tried. But Donnie Tillman's was assignment-sound last night. Blew it on the dunk/3-point play, but I don't think Landale got another FG after that. Given that Collette didn't play in the second half, Jayce fouled out and PVD flat out didn't show up, Tillman was a massive underrated X factor last night, on both sides of the floor.

Seeley has not played at all during the NIT whenever Collette and JJ both go out. Is it because Tillman is more assignment sound? He is so undersized down low. Is Seeley in the doghouse?

LA Ute
03-22-2018, 12:28 PM
Beating St. Mary's reminded me of our season-ending run in Year 2. Over the long haul, they don't rank on any list of significant accomplishments, but in the short-term, it's a great feeling to win like we did and to give us something to look forward to in next year. Making it this far, like we did, has gotten rid of almost all the bad taste from Vegas.

Agreed.

concerned
03-22-2018, 12:31 PM
311ute‏ @311ute (https://twitter.com/311ute) 15m15 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/311ute/status/976884990737833986)

Since mid-Jan (after the SoCal trip), @UtahMBB (https://twitter.com/UtahMBB) has played at a high level.

12-4 (4-2 on the road)

7 wins vs KenPom top-100 teams

I know it’s been said before, but this is Larry’s best coaching job. Impressive stuff

LA Ute
03-22-2018, 01:13 PM
I know it’s been said before, but this is Larry’s best coaching job. Impressive stuff

But Chris Hill! Giacoletti! Boylen! Majerus! (Quick summary of standard counter-arguments.)

Rocker Ute
03-22-2018, 01:16 PM
This tournament experience is as important for Larry as it is the players. They are learning how to win games in adverse situations without a lot of prep time and that is a good thing, and frankly a weakness of Krystkowiak.

We are also the highest seeded team left in the NIT, we should be able to do this.

Side note: I was actually happy to see Tillman drop off that double team of Landale, because you could see he immediately knew what he did wrong. His shutdown of Landale after that is a good sign of things to come for him, only the Zags have been able to get him off his game like that.

LA Ute
03-22-2018, 01:19 PM
They are learning how to win games in adverse situations without a lot of prep time and that is a good thing, and frankly a weakness of Krystkowiak.

Yes, we've all seen meltdowns in crunch time with Larry's teams. That does seem to be turning around. There have been some encouraging examples this season.

chrisrenrut
03-22-2018, 01:24 PM
But Chris Hill! Giacoletti! Boylen! Majerus! (Quick summary of standard counter-arguments.)

Transfer rate! Running off talent with attitude problems!

DrumNFeather
03-22-2018, 01:27 PM
Transfer rate! Running off talent with attitude problems!

Dancing!

Diehard Ute
03-22-2018, 02:20 PM
Seeley has not played at all during the NIT whenever Collette and JJ both go out. Is it because Tillman is more assignment sound? He is so undersized down low. Is Seeley in the doghouse?

He played against LSU

sancho
03-22-2018, 02:22 PM
We are also the highest seeded team left in the NIT, we should be able to do this.

Kenpom of each team:

27. Penn St
42. Western Kentucky
47. Miss St
56. Utah

concerned
03-22-2018, 02:27 PM
He played against LSU

only at the very end IIRC, when he got his dunk that went viral

sancho
03-22-2018, 03:27 PM
only at the very end IIRC, when he got his dunk that went viral

Yeah, he didn't even get time when we were desperate last night.

Because of earlier rumors, I don't know if this is a dog house thing or just the fact that he's so raw. Every time he gets in, he makes some kind of mistake that gets him pulled almost immediately. I'd love to see him turn into a rebounder/enforcer/dunk machine.

redastheycome
03-22-2018, 03:36 PM

Because of earlier rumors, I don't know if this is a dog house thing or just the fact that he's so raw. Every time he gets in, he makes some kind of mistake that gets him pulled almost immediately. I'd love to see him turn into a rebounder/enforcer/dunk machine.

My first guess is lingering injury problems, and we may never hear the whole story. Last month or so of the season, he's been in and out, and when he's out he's wearing one of those black team-issue hoodies that makes me think he didn't even dress. Which could also be a doghouse thing. Maybe.

Two Utes
03-22-2018, 04:04 PM

This makes sense. Good coaches can't stand stupid mistakes--especially on defense. And they can't stand bad or selfish shots. Many players have a real hard time understanding this.

Play D. Don't take stupid shots. PVD can't hit the goddamn broad side of a barn this year--yet he is still getting really meaningful minutes because he plays D and doesn't take stupid shots.

And you can't turn the ball over.

Utah
03-22-2018, 05:30 PM
Kenpom of each team:

27. Penn St
42. Western Kentucky
47. Miss St
56. Utah

Wait, so KenPom has us as the worst remaining team? Zoob. ;)

Mormon Red Death
03-26-2018, 01:08 PM
Thanks to Seattle Ute and is unbelief in this team I am taking my hard earned $ from that bet and am seeing the Utes in MSG with my 10 year old. Flying up from North Carolina for the day will great experience he shoudl remember.

Applejack
03-27-2018, 05:59 AM
Thanks to Seattle Ute and is unbelief in this team I am taking my hard earned $ from that bet and am seeing the Utes in MSG with my 10 year old. Flying up from North Carolina for the day will great experience he shoudl remember.

Totes jelly!

Solon
03-27-2018, 11:37 AM
Totes jelly!

I'm a little embarrassed to be excited about watching NIT basketball.
This team remains a mystery to me, but I like its chances today.

I suppose it hinges on Collette's back and Barefield's scoring.

sancho
03-27-2018, 12:01 PM

I'm not embarrassed. I'm just happy to have a game to look forward to tonight. I know nothing at all about WKU. Let's see what ESPN knows.

8 man rotation. Justin Johnson leads the team in scoring, rebounding, FG%, and 3FG%. He almost averages a double double. He's 6'7", 245.

They also have a shot blocker - Coleby. He gets 1.7 bpg and 7.9 rpg. Seems like a strong rebounding team.

Only 4 guys seem to be outside shooters. That's unusual in college basketball nowadays.

Five guys in double digits for scoring. Very balanced.

Darius Thompson has a great line of stats: 13.9 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 4.7 apg, 1.5 spg, 47% FG, 73% FT, 36% 3FG.

DrumNFeather
03-27-2018, 12:09 PM
I'm not embarrassed. I'm just happy to have a game to look forward to tonight. I know nothing at all about WKU. Let's see what ESPN knows.

8 man rotation. Justin Johnson leads the team in scoring, rebounding, FG%, and 3FG%. He almost averages a double double. He's 6'7", 245.

They also have a shot blocker - Coleby. He gets 1.7 bpg and 7.9 rpg. Seems like a strong rebounding team.

Only 4 guys seem to be outside shooters. That's unusual in college basketball nowadays.

Five guys in double digits for scoring. Very balanced.

Darius Thompson has a great line of stats: 13.9 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 4.7 apg, 1.5 spg, 47% FG, 73% FT, 36% 3FG.

A couple of their guys are transfers from bigger programs as well. Beat Purdue early in the season. This is a good squad.

chrisrenrut
03-27-2018, 12:46 PM

The fun thing about this team for me is we don't rely on one or two guys showing up to get a win. Barefield and Collette could be no shows or have marginal games, but Bibbins and Rawson could lead us to a win. Bealer, Jace, and/or PVD can step in and provide a boost. Opposing coaches probably have a hard time game planning against this team.

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-27-2018, 04:15 PM
So...apparently no Jayce tonight. Rolled his ankle in practice yesterday. Brilliant.

Mormon Red Death
03-27-2018, 04:32 PM
30 minutes to tip and they haven't opened the doors to the stadium. Wtf?

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-27-2018, 05:07 PM
So that rebounds thing again.

LA Ute
03-27-2018, 05:19 PM
I can tell Just listening on the radio that they're out-quicking us. Sounds like they’re bigger too. This could get very ugly.

Scorcho
03-27-2018, 05:26 PM
I can tell Just listening on the radio that they're out-quicking us. Sounds like they’re bigger too. This could get very ugly.

no Jayce tonight, is he hurt?

Solon
03-27-2018, 05:28 PM
no Jayce tonight, is he hurt?

MRD told me that Jayce hurt his ankle in practice and is a no-go tonight.
Dwight posted above too.

Bummer.

DrumNFeather
03-27-2018, 05:53 PM
32-32 at the half. For as terribly as we played to start, I suppose this isn't all bad.

justaute
03-27-2018, 05:55 PM
Throughout the season, every time I see Rawson dribble or pass on the perimeter, I cringe a little bit.

justaute
03-27-2018, 07:08 PM
Rawson...your two turnovers are now forgiven. :)

sancho
03-27-2018, 07:11 PM
Rawson...your two turnovers are now forgiven. :)

Utah by 5!

One more game and a rare chance to the end the season with a win.

DrumNFeather
03-27-2018, 07:12 PM
Utah by 5!

One more game and a rare chance to the end the season with a win.

Not entirely sure how we won that game! WKU played with a lot of energy and swagger, but ultimately that may have been their demise with two offensive fouls down the stretch. I love Justin Bibbins...and I love that he finds a way to get into it with someone on the other team pretty much every game. What a great addition he has been to this squad.

sancho
03-27-2018, 07:17 PM
Not entirely sure how we won that game! WKU played with a lot of energy and swagger, but ultimately that may have been their demise with two offensive fouls down the stretch. I love Justin Bibbins...and I love that he finds a way to get into it with someone on the other team pretty much every game. What a great addition he has been to this squad.

Their aggressive defense and a few boneheaded mistakes gave us free points at the line in the 3rd and 4th when we were having a hard time scoring. They had a handful of fouls 50 feet away from the basket.

Rocker Ute
03-27-2018, 10:17 PM
Rawson’s three was huge (and ballsy considering how badly he had missed a few). Collette and Bibbins taking charges were also big, but I think we all can agree the MVP of the game was Dr Chris Hill.

Thanks Chris for winning that game for us.

sancho
03-27-2018, 11:07 PM
Penn St:

8 man rotation, but all the scoring comes from the starting 5.

Tony Carr, stat sheet stuffer. 19.7 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 4.8 apg. 44% 3FG.

4 of the 5 starters get 5 rpg or better. They rebound, these lions.

Mike Watkins gets 12 ppg, 9 rpg, and 2.3 bpg. Shoots 68% from the field. I'm guessing these are almost all dunks.

Josh Reaves gets 2.2 spg. That's a lot of stealing.

Like WKU, this is not an outside shooting team. They have only three players who shoot from beyond the arc.

PSU beat Ohio State three times. Until the NIT, that was it for them. They lost to all the other good teams on their schedule.

LA Ute
03-27-2018, 11:22 PM
This afternoon I had a plane flight back home from Northern California. It was delayed, so I got to listen to most of the game on the radio, but we took off with about two minutes to go. So I did not get to hear the last two minutes live. When I got home I watched my recording of the fourth quarter. Man, that was a tight game, it could easily have gone the other way. I’m really impressed by, and proud of, the way these Utes have learned to stay focused in crunch time. It’s been a great improvement to see, because that has been a weakness in Larry’s teams.

Applejack
03-28-2018, 01:22 AM
Rawson’s three was huge (and ballsy considering how badly he had missed a few). Collette and Bibbins taking charges were also big, but I think we all can agree the MVP of the game was Dr Chris Hill.

The demigod strikes!

Scratch
03-28-2018, 08:45 AM

You left out "single-handedly."

UtahsMrSports
03-28-2018, 08:46 AM
With the full realization that at the end of the day it won't do anything to bring justice, I have to say that being an absolutely trashy program like Penn State would be among the most satisfying victories of my Ute fanhood.

Applejack
03-28-2018, 09:00 AM
With the full realization that at the end of the day it won't do anything to bring justice, I have to say that being an absolutely trashy program like Penn State would be among the most satisfying victories of my Ute fanhood.

Hold your horses, Charlie. "Among the most satisfying victories of [your] Ute fanhood?" I'm as excited about the chance to be crowned CHAMPION as any red-blooded Ute fan, but this is the NIT. Unless you've been a Utefan for the past 2 years, I'd hope you can come up with a bunch of wins that far surpass this one (fingers crossed).

For me, a win would be better than making the NCAA tournament and maybe winning a game (MAYBE), but it does not compare with anything past the first weekend of the tourney. In the end, it really is a tournament for 65th best team (I know, I know, should by 67th) in the nation.

Am I wrong?

Utebiquitous
03-28-2018, 09:20 AM
AJ,
I'd still take just playing in the NCAA Tournament over success in the NIT; but what a remarkable run. I thought that the final ten games of the season showed a team that had come together and was prepared for some tournament success. They've certainly demonstrated that. People have commented on how a tournament run helps returning players. I think it helps coaches as well - particularly getting better at game planning for opponents in a tournament setting.

UtahsMrSports
03-28-2018, 09:27 AM
Hold your horses, Charlie. "Among the most satisfying victories of [your] Ute fanhood?" I'm as excited about the chance to be crowned CHAMPION as any red-blooded Ute fan, but this is the NIT. Unless you've been a Utefan for the past 2 years, I'd hope you can come up with a bunch of wins that far surpass this one (fingers crossed).

For me, a win would be better than making the NCAA tournament and maybe winning a game (MAYBE), but it does not compare with anything past the first weekend of the tourney. In the end, it really is a tournament for 65th best team (I know, I know, should by 67th) in the nation.

Am I wrong?

My statement has 0 to do with the NIT (I would go further and say id rather be in the tourney and lose first round than be NIT champs). My enjoyment has everything to do with the opponent and the trashy things they stand for.

DrumNFeather
03-28-2018, 09:29 AM

Am I wrong?

I don't think there is much value in saying that we are the 60-whatever best team in the country because we won the NIT, or finished second. The bottom line is that there are very few teams still playing and we're one of them. In the past our teams have packed it in at this time of year, and this team has fought through and won four more games than we thought they would. That's not nothing. I think it gives the young guys a taste of tournament play, which can only help, as well as the coaches like Biq said. Hopefully it helps next year during the Wooden Legacy tournament and maybe beyond. To be the only Pac 12 team left standing, even in the NIT is pretty cool. Shoot, if you are gonna play, you might as well try to win it.

Solon
03-28-2018, 11:51 AM
I’m really impressed by, and proud of, the way these Utes have learned to stay focused in crunch time. It’s been a great improvement to see, because that has been a weakness in Larry’s teams.

Totally agree - MRD and I discussed this earlier today.
This Utah team wins more close games than it loses. The OT games vs ASU & St. Mary; the UCLA game. There are probably others from this season that I forget off the top of my head.
And now this one. It's nice to see.

SeattleUte
03-28-2018, 01:36 PM
The NIT ain’t what it used to be. I’m sure concerned and I agree about that much. When the Utes last played for the NIT championship in 1974, the NCAA tournament was 32 teams and the Utes had finished second in a close WAC finish to a very good Arizona State team that finished in AP/UPI the top 10 (but, if I recall, was upset early in the NCAA tournament). The Utes had two players who today would be early entry lottery picks—Mike Sojourner left after his sophomore year and excelled early with the Hawks before personal problems overtook him; and Ticky Burden left after his junior year and tore it up in the super talented late ABA, until he tore his knee up. The Utes lost to a very good Purdue team that finished second in the Big 10 and they had beaten in the regular season at home on Burden’s buzzer beater on New Year’s Day (I was on the first row right behind Ticky and watched his jump shot, his red tassels flying, and the ball spinning in a picture perfect arc and dropping cleanly through the rim and splashing net).

But an NIT championship would be a nice consolation for not making the NCAA tournament. Maybe almost as good as one and done in the NCAA tournament.

mUUser
03-28-2018, 02:02 PM
My statement has 0 to do with the NIT (I would go further and say id rather be in the tourney and lose first round than be NIT champs). My enjoyment has everything to do with the opponent and the trashy things they stand for.

We're really enjoying this run in our house. We were legitimately pumped yesterday and looking forward to tomorrow. Surprises even me.....

LA Ute
03-28-2018, 02:29 PM
Larry K in an interview last night:

Q. Pat Chambers was asked this last night, a hypothetical: Would you rather be winning the NIT or going to the NCAA and losing in the first round?

HEAD COACH LARRY KRYSTKOWIAK: I'd rather be where we are. I've thought about that a lot. Some of it, it's easy to talk about in a hypothetical, because we sign up for this, No. 1, to compete and to play, and I've been on the other end of it where you lose the first round. And there's so much emotion built up into a season.

The goal is getting to the NCAA Tournament -- and you lose a first round game. You know, it's great, but that's really not the feeling you want to have, either. There's a lot of failure built into that. This is about experiences. This is about competing.

And for us, you know, to get the additional five or six -- I think it's five games, and have an opportunity to win and continue to bond; I love this team and this team loves playing with each other, so I get it where a basketball purist junk key would say, gee, we should fire our coach is he says that because this is the consolation prize; how dare he say that.

Until you're in our shoes, coming to New York City and being in the Final Four in the NIT in a city with so much history and tradition -- look, I got an e-mail from Arnie Ferrin who played on Utah's team in 1947 when they won the NIT Championship, and there's still three living members on that team and we were all on a big thread.

When he says to me, "Coach, one more, man, bring home the trophy" and the pride in all of that, to me, that is much more significant than getting to the NCAA Tournament and losing your first game.

You know, if people want to run me out of town for that answer, I guess I'm going to live with it but they are not in our shoes and this has just been a great experience for us, and I don't think we'd trade it for anything in the world to be honest with you.

Rocker Ute
03-28-2018, 03:00 PM
There is nothing but good about this NIT run, and I would say while I would rather have been in the NCAA tournament, the experience they are having far outweighs a one and done in the Big Dance. Truth is, Larry and the whole team lacks tournament experience and how to manage a tournament run. This will go a long way to curing that. No matter what you say, to go and win that many games in a row with little prep is a notable achievement.

As much as I dislike them, Duke always seems to perform well in the tournament and often better than their seeding, and I believe it is because Coach K is up to his eyeballs in tournament play experience. Even their relative mediocre teams seem to know how to do some damage.

I hope this translates for the Utes next year, if and when they make the tournament. I will not be satisfied with a one and done.

concerned
03-28-2018, 03:06 PM
There is nothing but good about this NIT run, and I would say while I would rather have been in the NCAA tournament, the experience they are having far outweighs a one and done in the Big Dance. Truth is, Larry and the whole team lacks tournament experience and how to manage a tournament run. This will go a long way to curing that. No matter what you say, to go and win that many games in a row with little prep is a notable achievement.

As much as I dislike them, Duke always seems to perform well in the tournament and often better than their seeding, and I believe it is because Coach K is up to his eyeballs in tournament play experience. Even their relative mediocre teams seem to know how to do some damage.

I hope this translates for the Utes next year, if and when they make the tournament. I will not be satisfied with a one and done.

I hope you are right, but because this team is so senior heavy, and we will have so many newcomers next fall, I am not sure how much this helps the players (as opposed to LK) going forward. Jayce as the starting center and Barefield as the starting pg, it both things happen, scares me to death.

Scratch
03-28-2018, 03:16 PM
I hope you are right, but because this team is so senior heavy, and we will have so many newcomers next fall, I am not sure how much this helps the players (as opposed to LK) going forward. Jayce as the starting center and Barefield as the starting pg, it both things happen, scares me to death.

I'd be surprised if Jones isn't the starting PG. I just hope he has enough "true PG" in him to effectively run the offense.

The disdain that the Utah fanbase has for Jayce is absurd. The guy is a very good player. If you project his stats as a full-time starter he would average a double-double with 2 blocks and a shooting percentage over 50%. He plays really good D as well; for having limited athleticism he usually plays really sound D and has good footwork; the number of shots he alters is really high. I've never seen this stat kept in college, but I would bet that opponent shooting percentage in the paint when Jayce is in the game would be pretty low.

concerned
03-28-2018, 03:22 PM
I'd be surprised if Jones isn't the starting PG. I just hope he has enough "true PG" in him to effectively run the offense.

The disdain that the Utah fanbase has for Jayce is absurd. The guy is a very good player. If you project his stats as a full-time starter he would average a double-double with 2 blocks and a shooting percentage over 50%. He plays really good D as well; for having limited athleticism he usually plays really sound D and has good footwork; the number of shots he alters is really high. I've never seen this stat kept in college, but I would bet that opponent shooting percentage in the paint when Jayce is in the game would be pretty low.

If a JC transfer can start from day 1 (i.e., if he is as good as Delon, and play at an NCAA invite caliber), that will be great.

Jayce is completely ineffectual on offense, and the inside offense grinds to a halt when he is in the game. He showed that left semi-hook a game or two ago; maybe he can develop that. He also has to stay out of foul trouble as a starter, and he cant even do that as a back up. And next year we wont even have him as a back up. One of the freshmen will really have to play well.

Scratch
03-28-2018, 03:32 PM
If a JC transfer can start from day 1 (i.e., if he is as good as Delon, and play at an NCAA invite caliber), I will be impressed. Jayce is completely ineffectual on offense, and the inside offense grinds to a halt when he is in the game. He showed that left semi-hook a game or two ago; maybe he can develop that. He also has to stay out of foul trouble as a starter, and he cant even do that as a back up. And next year we wont even have him as a back up. One of the freshmen will really have to play well.

I disagree that he's as bad offensively as you say. He shoots for a good percentage and he has increased his offensive moves this year. He's never going to be the focal point of the offense, but he's an elite rebounder and does enough with his back to the basket to keep defenses honest. In fact, Jayce was second in the league at rebounds per minute, only (and just barely) behind a guy named DeAndre Ayton. And when you factor in possessions per game, I would bet that Jayce comes out ahead of Ayton.

concerned
03-28-2018, 03:35 PM
I disagree that he's as bad offensively as you say. He shoots for a good percentage and he has increased his offensive moves this year. He's never going to be the focal point of the offense, but he's an elite rebounder and does enough with his back to the basket to keep defenses honest. In fact, Jayce was second in the league at rebounds per minute, only (and just barely) behind a guy named DeAndre Ayton. And when you factor in possessions per game, I would bet that Jayce comes out ahead of Ayton.

I agree he is good on defense; he is clearly our best rebounder, but he makes everybody worse on offense. You can't run your offense thru him or let him do anything but set screens, and get a put back or two. He is a terrible passer. It is almost like playing 4 on 5.

Two Utes
03-28-2018, 05:19 PM
I agree he is good on defense; he is clearly our best rebounder, but he makes everybody worse on offense. You can't run your offense thru him or let him do anything but set screens, and get a put back or two. He is a terrible passer. It is almost like playing 4 on 5.

Got my chance to see a game in MSG. With the remodel, it is a terrific arena. The accoustics create a very unique crowd noise. Great times.

concerned
03-29-2018, 02:18 PM
Vegas Ute (https://twitter.com/VegasUte) Retweeted

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/978723723036393472/8k9l6_Zz_bigger.jpgI am a Utah Man, Sir‏ @UtahMan1850 (https://twitter.com/UtahMan1850) Mar 23 (https://twitter.com/UtahMan1850/status/977200478726471681)More

OTD 3/23/1974, Mike Sojourner led Utah with 29 points and 19 rebounds as @UtahMBB (https://twitter.com/UtahMBB) beat Boston College 117-93 to reach the NIT Final. Sojourner would enter the NBA draft after the season and was the 10th overall pick by the Atlanta Hawks

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DY-2pwjU8AAqEND.jpg

chrisrenrut
03-29-2018, 02:23 PM
Vegas Ute (https://twitter.com/VegasUte) Retweeted

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/978723723036393472/8k9l6_Zz_bigger.jpgI am a Utah Man, Sir‏ @UtahMan1850 (https://twitter.com/UtahMan1850) Mar 23 (https://twitter.com/UtahMan1850/status/977200478726471681)More

OTD 3/23/1974, Mike Sojourner led Utah with 29 points and 19 rebounds as @UtahMBB (https://twitter.com/UtahMBB) beat Boston College 117-93 to reach the NIT Final. Sojourner would enter the NBA draft after the season and was the 10th overall pick by the Atlanta Hawks

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DY-2pwjU8AAqEND.jpg

No 3 point shot or shot clock. Why did teams score so much more back then? Has defense gotten that much better? Is it because they allow more contact now than they used to?

concerned
03-29-2018, 05:23 PM
Dont tell me jayce isnt completely lost out there. Cant finish at the rim twice and turned around on d.

Maybe its his ankle. Maybe.

LA Ute
03-29-2018, 05:34 PM
Dont tell me jayce isnt completely lost out there. Cant finish at the rim twice and turned around on d.

He can contribute but he’s kind of a stiff half the time.

LA Ute
03-29-2018, 05:37 PM
I don’t understand why we keep leaving Penn State’s marksmen wide open for set-shot treys.

justaute
03-29-2018, 05:41 PM
I don’t understand why we keep leaving Penn State’s marksmen wide open for set-shot treys.

Lack of effort and BB IQ. And, Barefield is being abused. Lack of athleticism is understandable. Lack of effort and minimum BB IQ is not.

sancho
03-29-2018, 05:45 PM
Lack of effort and BB IQ.

This is about match ups more than either of those things. Without Collette, we're in big trouble. The length of their guards is problematic for Bibbins.

Edit: and, of course, PSU's biggest strength - rebounding - plays right into our largest weakness.

justaute
03-29-2018, 05:52 PM
This is about match ups more than either of those things. Without Collette, we're in big trouble. The length of their guards is problematic for Bibbins.

I was referring to th specific plays, before Collette's injury, that Utah players didn't rotate over to cover the set shooters.

SeattleUte
03-29-2018, 05:54 PM

We’re so evidently overmatched physically. I don’t know how we stay in these games.

sancho
03-29-2018, 05:54 PM
Feels like the outcome will rely on Barefield staying hot.

justaute
03-29-2018, 05:58 PM
Feels like the outcome will rely on Barefield staying hot.

And Carr stop being hot. haha

UtahsMrSports
03-29-2018, 05:58 PM
We’re so evidently overmatched physically. I don’t know how we stay in these games.

Dr Chris Hill has made an outstanding hire in bringing in the right coach at the right time in Larry Krystkowiak.

sancho
03-29-2018, 06:02 PM
And Carr stop being hot. haha

Yeah, dude's been very good.

We could make it happen if Bibbins/Rawson/Bealer heats up from outside. But it will depend on our outside shooting. Our offense is completely 1-dimensional without Collette.

justaute
03-29-2018, 06:05 PM
Yeah, dude's been very good.

We could make it happen if Bibbins/Rawson/Bealer heats up from outside. But it will depend on our outside shooting. Our offense is completely 1-dimensional without Collette.

Completely agree. We don't have the collective athleticism. We don't have the collective high BB IQ. We don't have the collective ball-skills. We have some of each, and usually not with the same players.

sancho
03-29-2018, 06:15 PM
We don't have the collective athleticism. We don't have the collective high BB IQ. We don't have the collective ball-skills.

We're obviously not a great team, but it's the strong IQ and team play that made us a competitive team this season. We had the best defense in the Pac-12. That's about effort and IQ.

I think as a former coach, you tend to focus on mistakes. Just remember that a low IQ play doesn't mean we have a low IQ player/team. Every team makes a handful of mental mistakes every game.

justaute
03-29-2018, 06:30 PM
We're obviously not a great team, but it's the strong IQ and team play that made us a competitive team this season. We had the best defense in the Pac-12. That's about effort and IQ.

I think as a former coach, you tend to focus on mistakes. Just remember that a low IQ play doesn't mean we have a low IQ player/team. Every team makes a handful of mental mistakes every game.

To be fair, I definitely think we've over-achieved for this season -- a pleasant and happy surprise. We certainly have individuals who have good BB IQ (e.g. Bibbins, PVD), and a few others who have decent BB IQ, albeit inconsistently (e.g. Rawson, Collette). As a P12 team, I'm just concerned we didn't have more one or the other (of course we want both). To me, there are always trade-offs between BB IQ and athleticism, not a binary trade-off, but a gradient trade-off -- it's a spectrum. Of course, that made our 3rd place conference finish the more impressive.

justaute
03-29-2018, 06:32 PM
On that last drive by Carr on Bibbins, Rawson did not help out at all. To me, that's just poor defense. Maybe it's by design. Either way, it's just embarrassing. Bad, lazy defense.

LA Ute
03-29-2018, 06:33 PM
Getting ugly now. Some outright breakdowns on D.

LA Ute
03-29-2018, 06:38 PM
Wow. Now not even boxing out. This isn’t a team that gives up. Come
on.

justaute
03-29-2018, 06:40 PM
How is it possible that Garner can take a wide open 3 with no defenders? This is enough for me.

LA Ute
03-29-2018, 06:50 PM
How is it possible that Garner can take a wide open 3 with no defenders? This is enough for me.

That's been happening all game long.

LA Ute
03-29-2018, 06:58 PM

Good coaching produces overachievers. Projected PAC-12 7th place teams finish 3rd that way and end up in the NIT finals. Guys like Rawson become solid performers. And so on.

SeattleUte
03-29-2018, 07:37 PM
Good coaching produces overachievers. Projected PAC-12 7th place teams finish 3rd that way and end up in the NIT finals. Guys like Rawson become solid performers. And so on.

“We need better players”—LAUte

LA Ute
03-29-2018, 08:24 PM
“We need better players”—LAUte

And I am right. You are a wise student of my posts. That’s a quote from Rick Majerus, by the way.

justaute
03-29-2018, 08:29 PM
Good run.

concerned
03-29-2018, 08:33 PM
And I am right. You are a wise student of my posts. That’s a quote from Rick Majerus, by the way.

You are right. LK has proven again and again that he can coach-up average to above average players, and make the whole greater than the sum of the parts. Except for Poeltl, Delon, and Kuzma, he hasn't proven he can recruit good and athletic players as consistently as he needs to, or coach them up to make the whole greater than the parts, or even to make the parts great in Kuzma's case. The next two years may be the test.

LA Ute
03-29-2018, 08:49 PM
You are right. LK has proven again and again that he can coach-up average to above average players, and make the whole greater than the sum of the parts. Except for Poeltl, Delon, and Kuzma, he hasn't proven he can recruit good and athletic players as consistently as he needs to, or coach them up to make the whole greater than the parts, or even to make the parts great in Kuzma's case. The next two years may be the test.

Yes. The table is set for him. Let’s see what he can do.

justaute
03-29-2018, 09:38 PM

Good one.

Utah
03-29-2018, 10:09 PM
I want to say that I have really, really enjoyed this year. It has been fun.

That being said, there is that little voice in the back of my head that agrees with the local talking heads. We have a top 25 facilities. We are in a conference where we should be in the tournament every year. We have top 25 history. We pay our coach like a top 25 coach.

As much fun as this year has been, I want more.

I'm not calling for anything. Well, maybe a little something. I think making the tournament next year is a must. And I'll just leave that there and go back to thinking about how awesome Bibbins and Collette and Rawson and Bealer were and how I wish we had them all more. Bibbins was amazing. He won my heart in one year.

UtahsMrSports
03-29-2018, 10:29 PM
Man i love this team.

That was a fun season. Yes....i want the ncaa tournament, but im also very proud of what Larry does as our coach and I hope he is hear as long as he wants to be.

I hope the guys who can return choose to do so. I hope they realize what a great opportunity they have and devote themselves to getting better this off-season. I bet they will.

Applejack
03-30-2018, 12:45 AM
I want to say that I have really, really enjoyed this year. It has been fun.

That being said, there is that little voice in the back of my head that agrees with the local talking heads. We have a top 25 facilities. We are in a conference where we should be in the tournament every year. We have top 25 history. We pay our coach like a top 25 coach.

As much fun as this year has been, I want more.

I'm not calling for anything. Well, maybe a little something. I think making the tournament next year is a must. And I'll just leave that there and go back to thinking about how awesome Bibbins and Collette and Rawson and Bealer were and how I wish we had them all more. Bibbins was amazing. He won my heart in one year.

But is the NCAA tourney realistic for next year, given that we lose Bibbins, Collette, Rawesome, etc? I doubt it.

Utah
03-30-2018, 01:40 AM
But is the NCAA tourney realistic for next year, given that we lose Bibbins, Collette, Rawesome, etc? I doubt it.

And that’s what worries me. Next year will be his eighth season as our head coach. If you take away his first two seasons, is two tournament appearances in six seasons enough?

No.

Now, we don’t want to get ahead of ourselves. But, if we don’t make the tournament next year, his seat should get warm. If we don’t make it the next two years? That means he will have been twice in 9 seasons.

So, let’s just go and start making the tournament. Let’s be real; 68 teams get in. It shouldn’t be that hard. We should be one of the top 68 teams 4 out of 5 years. Utah deserves that.

sancho
03-30-2018, 07:44 AM

I think 2020 is the target. If we make it next season, we're ahead of schedule.

UBlender
03-30-2018, 11:15 AM

I disagree. Talent beats experience in college basketball and Utah will have more talent than they did this year. Utah continually finishes higher than projected in the PAC 12 and next year will be no different. If they finally learn their lesson and schedule like an NCAA caliber team then I believe they will make it. Those seniors were really good but also all had limitations that Utah had to overcome. They did a great job but I think the culture will maintain and there's no reason for Utah to not expect to make the dance next year.

Utah
03-30-2018, 11:15 AM
I think what I love about this team is the players. They gave it all. There were great. Look at Collette, for example:

Huh, I don't know if that shows up or not. Here is the link to Collette's ankle.

https://twitter.com/BBorgUteZone/status/979515127765463041