PDA

View Full Version : The official NO. ILL. game thread

Applejack
05-17-2018, 12:51 AM
Anyone know when they announce kickoff times? I'd love to arrange some things so that I am at this game, but it all depends on the start time. Help a brother out.

chrisrenrut
05-17-2018, 11:07 AM
Anyone know when they announce kickoff times? I'd love to arrange some things so that I am at this game, but it all depends on the start time. Help a brother out.

With it being at NIU, they have the TV rights. I have no idea who their TV partners are, but I assume that would be a big influence on game time, and when game time is announced. So basically, I'm not help at all, brother.

SoCalPat
05-23-2018, 03:44 PM
With it being at NIU, they have the TV rights. I have no idea who their TV partners are, but I assume that would be a big influence on game time, and when game time is announced. So basically, I'm not help at all, brother.

NIU's home games last year ranged from untelevised to ESPN 3 to ESPN 2 to CBSSN. Of course, those games were played on all days of the week. This is a Saturday game. If it's relegated to ESPN3, someone owes us an apology. But we should be prepared for anything.

Applejack
05-24-2018, 12:05 AM

NIU's home games last year ranged from untelevised to ESPN 3 to ESPN 2 to CBSSN. Of course, those games were played on all days of the week. This is a Saturday game. If it's relegated to ESPN3, someone owes us an apology. But we should be prepared for anything.

These are very helpful non-answers. When are they likely to announce a kickoff time? One week before is unacceptable! The people deserve to know!

UtahsMrSports
05-24-2018, 07:35 AM
These are very helpful non-answers. When are they likely to announce a kickoff time? One week before is unacceptable! The people deserve to know!

My best guess is sometime between noon and 10 PM eastern for the kickoff.

SeattleUte
05-24-2018, 03:58 PM
What are we doing playing a program like that on the road? Risky, little to gain and much to lose. Seems like a screw up.

Applejack
05-25-2018, 01:16 AM
What are we doing playing a program like that on the road? Risky, little to gain and much to lose. Seems like a screw up.

No doubt about it: you schedule p5 opponents or home cupcakes. It's really simple.

Rocker Ute
05-31-2018, 01:34 PM
5:30 MT Applejack, just posted to the twitters - all of em.

https://twitter.com/utahathletics/status/1002269527881662464

Dwight Schr-Ute
05-31-2018, 01:55 PM

The great thing about being on ESPNews is that there won’t be anything important on before it to interfere with the broadcast!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Applejack
06-01-2018, 01:02 AM

Uggh. That makes catching a flight back to DC on Saturday close to impossible :mad:

Rocker Ute
06-01-2018, 06:14 AM
Uggh. That makes catching a flight back to DC on Saturday close to impossible :mad:

Something tells me you could probably safely leave mid third quarter.

sancho
06-01-2018, 07:04 AM
Something tells me you could probably safely leave mid third quarter.

I don't know if northern Illinois is that kind of team.

UtahsMrSports
06-01-2018, 10:52 AM
My best guess is sometime between noon and 10 PM eastern for the kickoff.

Swish!!

DrumNFeather
06-01-2018, 01:29 PM
Swish!!

Once again UMS's sources come through.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-04-2018, 03:08 PM
So this is going to be our Husky dress rehearsal before opening night a week later?

Vegas has the line at -10.5, which seems low after losing to Iowa by 26. ESPN gives us a 77% odds of winning.

Weather could be an issue with the tropical storm remains of Gordon headed in the DeKalb general direction.

I can't come up with anything else interesting to say about this game.

DrumNFeather
09-04-2018, 03:13 PM
So this is going to be our Husky dress rehearsal before opening night a week later?

Vegas has the line at -10.5, which seems low after losing to Iowa by 26. ESPN gives us a 77% odds of winning.

Weather could be an issue with the tropical storm remains of Gordon headed in the DeKalb general direction.

I can't come up with anything else interesting to say about this game.

They've got a Defensive End that seems to be getting some attention (#15). It looked like Iowa essentially wore them down after it being just 3-0 at the half. Their radio guy said that the belief there going into the season was that Utah would be their toughest game in the non-conference schedule, which includes Iowa, Florida St., and BYU, so that is interesting.

When Kyle was asked why the game was scheduled he said: "Don't ask me, I don't schedule these games." He seemed just as puzzled as the rest of us.

Scorcho
09-04-2018, 03:20 PM
that is one odd looking Husky

https://stadiumjourney.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/NorthernIL4-900x600.jpg

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-04-2018, 03:28 PM
that is one odd looking Husky

https://stadiumjourney.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/NorthernIL4-900x600.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180904/fc09b0009c94f446358dc0179ca17cb2.jpg

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-04-2018, 04:52 PM
https://niuhuskies.com/news/2018/9/4/football-utah-visits-in-historic-huskie-stadium-season-opener.aspx

SoCalPat
09-04-2018, 09:34 PM
I'm a little more worried at seeing 17 starters return, 9 on offense. This is a team that fully expected to score more points than it did against Iowa. We need to keep their stud defensive end out of our backfield, run the ball early, often and successfully, while wearing them down like Iowa did. It won't be sexy, but as long as we're not careless with the football, we should win and cover.

Applejack
09-05-2018, 07:46 AM
This game petrifies me. On the road, against a team hungry to show up the "big-boys" (how did we get in this category?), a week before the UW game, this has TRAP GAME written all over it. Whoever scheduled this game should be fired. If you are going to play a non-P5 on the road, it better (a) be a cupcake (ala BYU) and (b) be in a recruiting area. DeKalb is just a mistake.

sancho
09-05-2018, 08:55 AM
This game petrifies me. On the road, against a team hungry to show up the "big-boys" (how did we get in this category?), a week before the UW game, this has TRAP GAME written all over it. Whoever scheduled this game should be fired. If you are going to play a non-P5 on the road, it better (a) be a cupcake (ala BYU) and (b) be in a recruiting area. DeKalb is just a mistake.

I think all this is true, but I also think this is a good year for Utah football. If you are going to make a scheduling mistake, it's good to make it when the team is legit. We'll get out of DeKalb okay.

Applejack
09-05-2018, 10:55 AM
I think all this is true, but I also think this is a good year for Utah football. If you are going to make a scheduling mistake, it's good to make it when the team is legit. We'll get out of DeKalb okay.

But the win will get us bupkis. Should have scheduled a legit opponent.

Utebiquitous
09-05-2018, 11:28 AM
I hope we never go into Big 10 country again without playing a Big 10 opponent. AJ makes a great point about it not being a recruiting area. I don't necessarily mind this if it's a P5 opponent.

NorthwestUteFan
09-05-2018, 10:41 PM
But the win will get us bupkis. Should have scheduled a legit opponent.When the game was scheduled NIU looked similar to the way UCF did last year.

NorthwestUteFan
09-05-2018, 10:42 PM
Imagine if we were going to play Iowa and wave at the kids instead of playing NIU. Now THAT would be a fantastic road trip!

Diehard Ute
09-06-2018, 10:28 PM
https://athlonsports.com/college-football/utah-utes-vs-northern-illinois-huskies-prediction-picks-2018

I’m curious if this guy has watched a single down of Utah Football

U-Ute
09-07-2018, 09:11 AM
https://athlonsports.com/college-football/utah-utes-vs-northern-illinois-huskies-prediction-picks-2018

I listened to an interview with their coach, and he commented that he and Kyle both coach the same way: tough defense, stop the run, run the ball.

If they're going to try and beat Utah at Utah's game, Utah will win by 4 touchdowns. Utah has a good record against teams who try to play us like that (Stanford, Alabama, Michigan, etc). the only team that plays that style that Utah has a hard time with is USC. Duh. Hard to imagine.

The best way to beat us is to spread us out (ASU, Wazzu, Arizona, Oregon).

Sullyute
09-07-2018, 10:43 AM

I found this funny:

“ Utah’s defense, particularly the defensive line, doesn't appear to be as physical as Iowa's at first glance.”

I am sure that Kyle already has that posted on the locker room wall. I kind of feel sorry for NIU if Kyle pulls out the old Joe Glenn game plan.

Diehard Ute
09-07-2018, 11:04 AM
I found this funny:

“ Utah’s defense, particularly the defensive line, doesn't appear to be as physical as Iowa's at first glance.”

I am sure that Kyle already has that posted on the locker room wall. I kind of feel sorry for NIU if Kyle pulls out the old Joe Glenn game plan.

I checked out the writers twitter.

He admitted he didn’t even watch the Weber State game and has watched a “handful” of Utah games over the years.

He’s basing his take, according to him, on Utah rarely facing a good running opponent since everyone the the Pac-12 throws the football far more.

He plays to his core audience, and drove some clicks I guess. Good for him, but I doubt stuff like this gets him off the traffic desk.

U-Ute
09-07-2018, 11:36 AM
I found this funny:

Their coach may track this writer down.

Mormon Red Death
09-08-2018, 06:05 PM
Not the greatest first quarter

Sullyute
09-08-2018, 06:08 PM
That was disappointing.

Diehard Ute
09-08-2018, 06:12 PM
What a terrible break. Cause a fumble and the guy gets a first down out of it.

“Hey, I’m stopped, I’ll just throw this ball and hope”

Sullyute
09-08-2018, 06:12 PM
The Utah gang tackling is impressive.

Diehard Ute
09-08-2018, 06:15 PM
Did the announcer really just say “11 or 12 guys near the line”?

No wonder there running the ball so well if they’re using 12 players!

Sullyute
09-08-2018, 06:31 PM
That stadium is empty.

Mormon Red Death
09-08-2018, 06:50 PM
What a shit show

LA Ute
09-08-2018, 06:59 PM
We just look flat, in every unit. Only Covey is sharp.

Solon
09-08-2018, 07:03 PM
We just look flat, in every unit. Only Covey is sharp.
Huntley can’t seem to throw the ball downfield.
Even on the Hail Mary, with very little to lose, he didn’t pull the trigger.

mUUser
09-08-2018, 07:04 PM
Huntley wasn’t the answer last year. He isn’t the answer this year either.

Irving Washington
09-08-2018, 07:11 PM
That was awful. Final score 18-17 Utes in overtime.

Diehard Ute
09-08-2018, 07:35 PM
Sure giving big cushions on the outside again

LA Ute
09-08-2018, 07:46 PM
Huntley sacked 5 times now.

Diehard Ute
09-08-2018, 07:49 PM
Covey has to come up and catch that ball. Why he’s waving fair catch and not coming to get it I have no idea.

LA Ute
09-08-2018, 08:05 PM
There’s nothing quite like seeing our offensive linemen standing there, watching Huntley get sacked.

Diehard Ute
09-08-2018, 08:09 PM
Agasiva is terrible tonight

LA Ute
09-08-2018, 08:12 PM
If the Utes don’t pull it together this could be one of those historic losses we talk about for years.

Diehard Ute
09-08-2018, 08:14 PM
If that’s a late hit there’s no way 15 from NIU should have gotten away with smacking Huntley while he was standing out of bounds.

Applejack
09-08-2018, 08:25 PM
I called this. This is on Chris Hill.

NorthwestUteFan
09-08-2018, 08:33 PM
If the Utes don’t pull it together this could be one of those historic losses we talk about for years.Just remember what happened after getting shut out by UNLV.

Irving Washington
09-08-2018, 08:37 PM

He certainly had our offense v their defense right. Not so much the other way, but he was much closer than we were.

LA Ute
09-08-2018, 08:43 PM
Good thing we had those two Utah County boys Hansen and Covey tonight.

Sullyute
09-08-2018, 08:48 PM
I have never seen a QB throw as many passes into the sideline as this guy.

Old Standing ute
09-08-2018, 09:44 PM
I called this. This is on Chris Hill.

Agreed, we should never schedule a game against a powerhouse like this for game 2.

SoCalPat
09-08-2018, 10:20 PM
Not sold on Huntley at all. Second game in a row I've listened to Bill and Scott, and the latter has more than enough street cred when analyzing the QB position. Too many times, Huntley's missing open guys, not getting the ball out on time, can't read defenses, etc. I don't think he's improved at all from last year.

UTEopia
09-08-2018, 10:22 PM
Not sold on Huntley at all. Second game in a row I've listened to Bill and Scott, and the former has more than enough street cred when analyzing the QB position. Too many times, Huntley's missing open guys, not getting the ball out on time, can't read defenses, etc. I don't think he's improved at all from last year.

Sadly, I have to agree. I was only able to listen to the 2nd half and I really enjoy Scott Mitchell's analysis and insight.

sancho
09-08-2018, 10:34 PM
Not sold on Huntley at all. Second game in a row I've listened to Bill and Scott, and the latter has more than enough street cred when analyzing the QB position. Too many times, Huntley's missing open guys, not getting the ball out on time, can't read defenses, etc. I don't think he's improved at all from last year.

Dude threw for 300 yards without a pick. It's not gonna win any awards, but it will win games at Utah.

sancho
09-08-2018, 10:37 PM
11 players with receptions tonight.

Utebiquitous
09-09-2018, 12:00 AM
I'm really mixed on Huntley. He's putting some numbers up there but his decision making is not what it should be for the second year in this offense. Long ago I adopted the philosophy that the only thing that matters defensively is how many points are allowed by your defense. I don't get too caught up in the yards our opponent earns. It seems to me the same thinking applies offensively. Do you put points on the board? Huntley engineered a lot of points last week against a lower level opponent. This week, he didn't get it done. Like SoCal and Uteopia, I listened to the radio broadcast tonight. Mitchell seemed mystified at times that Huntley wasn't seeing certain receivers wide open down field. He also all but blamed Huntley for a few of the sacks saying that he had open receivers to throw to but he held onto the ball too long. There were some timely drops again - none more helpful than the Huskie who dropped one right in his hands. That's the second week in a row Huntley has lucked out throwing a ball that not only should have been intercepted but perhaps returned a long way. He won't get that lucky much longer.

SoCalPat
09-09-2018, 12:38 AM
Dude threw for 300 yards without a pick. It's not gonna win any awards, but it will win games at Utah.

When we have a QB throw for nearly 300 yards, we shouldn’t need a late pick 6 to salt the game away. And I’m sorry, 10 points by the offense might win you one game in 100.

Applejack
09-09-2018, 05:07 AM
I'm not sure that Huntley has improved, but I am sure that our o-line has been toasted in the first two games. The pressure that defenses get on passing plays and the penetration they get on running plays does not bode well against Washington.

sancho
09-09-2018, 06:17 AM
And I’m sorry, 10 points by the offense might win you one game in 100.

If we get 300 with no picks, we'll win 9 of 10 games.

If we get just 10 points, we'll lose 9 of 10.

Those are both true statements that don't contradict each other. They won't often intersect like they did last night.

AJ is right about the line. We've seen offensive struggles for long enough to know that the issues go well beyond any one player/coach. The run game is supposed to be a strength, but it hasn't been strong. Take away one long run from moss last week, and our numbers are not good.

Utebiquitous
09-09-2018, 02:10 PM
You're right on Sancho. While I'm worried about Huntley's decision making and ability to read what's going on out there, it would be helpful if he had more than One-Mississippi to make decisions.

sancho
09-09-2018, 02:15 PM
You're right on Sancho.

No one has ever said that about me before, and it's making me a little uncomfortable. Thankfully, I was just regurgitating AJ's point.

LA Ute
09-09-2018, 04:40 PM
You're right on Sancho. While I'm worried about Huntley's decision making and ability to read what's going on out there, it would be helpful if he had more than One-Mississippi to make decisions.

It’s a rare QB who can do well when the pocket collapses on nearly every pass play.

concerned
09-09-2018, 05:35 PM
According to SoCalPat, Scott Mitchell on the radi0 broadcast last night continually pointed out that Huntley had open receivers downfield and never saw them. mitchell was very critical of Huntley's ability to find the downfield receiver.

Scorcho
09-09-2018, 05:43 PM
According to SoCalPat, Scott Mitchell on the radi0 broadcast last night continually pointed out that Huntley had open receivers downfield and never saw them. mitchell was very critical of Huntley's ability to find the downfield receiver.

I hate to say it, but Mitchell has been awful on the radio broadcast, ... so vanilla. Dolce was irritating at times, but at least he was colorful.

sancho
09-09-2018, 05:54 PM

Well, I like and trust Scott. I'm sure Huntley missed WRs and made poor decisions. It was not a good offensive performance, and you can't pin it all on the pass protection.

I haven't listened to Mitchell, but there are a few things that give me pause about his criticism. He's new to this gig. He hasn't been paid to analyze college football for a long time. Most of his professional football analysis/assessment/tape review was spent on NFL plays. Maybe he's overly critical. Maybe he needs to get acclimated to the college game.

At any rate, he will need to find a balance between praise and criticism if he wants to be a good color commentator. I hope he does that. The last thing the U needs is a bunch of fans running around saying "Mitchell says Huntley misses all his reads - it's time for the backup QB!"

NorthwestUteFan
09-10-2018, 08:30 AM
https://twitter.com/JFurKSL/status/1038830493263749125

Scratch
09-10-2018, 08:57 AM
Is it just me or does this feel a little bit like 2009, with an experienced QB winning games ugly thanks to a defense covering up for offensive struggles. Here, we have Huntley playing the part of Terrence Cain and Tuttle playing the part of Travis Wilson, the hyped backup waiting in the wings. Now, I think Huntley and Tuttle are significantly better than their counterparts in this example, but our opposition is also much better. Anyway, if the offense continues to struggle I could see a similar decision by Whit this year.

Mormon Red Death
09-10-2018, 08:59 AM
Is it just me or does this feel a little bit like 2009, with an experienced QB winning games ugly thanks to a defense covering up for offensive struggles. Here, we have Huntley playing the part of Terrence Cain and Tuttle playing the part of Travis Wilson, the hyped backup waiting in the wings. Now, I think Huntley and Tuttle are significantly better than their counterparts in this example, but our opposition is also much better. Anyway, if the offense continues to struggle I could see a similar decision by Whit this year.

Do you mean Jordan Wynn?

sancho
09-10-2018, 09:00 AM
Anyway, if the offense continues to struggle I could see a similar decision by Whit this year.

He's definitely not gun shy when it comes to pulling the starting QB.

concerned
09-10-2018, 09:13 AM
Do you mean Jordan Wynn?

Either that, or he means 2012, when Travis Wilson was waiting in the wings. After Wynn was injured against USU, Jon Hays became the starter until UCLA, when he was pulled for true freshman (IIRC) Wilson.

SeattleUte
09-10-2018, 09:47 AM
Either that, or he means 2012, when Travis Wilson was waiting in the wings. After Wynn was injured against USU, Jon Hays became the starter until UCLA, when he was pulled for true freshman (IIRC) Wilson.

The analogy doesn’t work also because Tuttle is no. 3 on the depth chart. I think the apt analogy is that Huntley is a young Brian Johnson.

Terrance Cain was a JUCO. Huntley has been a part of the program now for three years. I hope, like Johnson eventually did, he has finally learned to avoid injury.

LA Ute
09-10-2018, 10:12 AM
https://twitter.com/JFurKSL/status/1038830493263749125

I think the coaches will see this on film. With fewer drops and some decent O-line blocking he could have had a truly light-out game and the Ute offense would've scored much more. I don't think this one is on Huntley.

SoCalPat
09-10-2018, 11:05 AM
I hate to say it, but Mitchell has been awful on the radio broadcast, ... so vanilla. Dolce was irritating at times, but at least he was colorful.

The one area in which Mitchell has been concise, accurate and insightful is in QB play and decision making. In other aspects, your analysis of what he brings to the booth has merit.

Scratch
09-10-2018, 11:07 AM
Do you mean Jordan Wynn?

Yes, I meant Wynn. Thanks.

SeattleUte
09-10-2018, 11:08 AM
I think the coaches will see this on film. With fewer drops and some decent O-line blocking he could have had a truly light-out game and the Ute offense would've scored much more. I don't think this one is on Huntley.

I think most people consider closeness and solidarity with fans one of the pleasures of spectator sports. I am the opposite. The Internet makes sports spectating a lot more enjoyable in many ways. But having more access to what fans are saying takes from my enjoyment. I regard fans as like toddlers throwing a tantrum—but they’re grown ups. Yuk. Most fans criticizing our QB don’t know wtf they’re talking about.

Scratch
09-10-2018, 11:09 AM
The analogy doesn’t work also because Tuttle is no. 3 on the depth chart. I think the apt analogy is that Huntley is a young Brian Johnson.

Terrance Cain was a JUCO. Huntley has been a part of the program now for three years. I hope, like Johnson eventually did, he has finally learned to avoid injury.

Tuttle is #3 for redshirt purposes. If multiple games are going to be played without Huntley, you'll see Tuttle.

SoCalPat
09-10-2018, 11:31 AM
Hard to imagine the pressure not being ramped up on Taylor. If Huntley isn’t showing the improvement in his decision-making, his immediate coach should fall under more scrutiny. And it seems we’re still a very mediocre team in short-yardage situations.

Other smart guys that I follow on Twitter point out some of the absurd play calls as well. I don’t think we’re getting all we can out of the OC/QB coach position.

LA Ute
09-10-2018, 12:43 PM
Hard to imagine the pressure not being ramped up on Taylor. If Huntley isn’t showing the improvement in his decision-making, his immediate coach should fall under more scrutiny. And it seems we’re still a very mediocre team in short-yardage situations.

Other smart guys that I follow on Twitter point out some of the absurd play calls as well. I don’t think we’re getting all we can out of the OC/QB coach position.

I was asking myself this morning -- how many D1 defenses has Taylor really seen? He is probably still on the front end of his learning curve.

LA Ute
09-10-2018, 12:46 PM

I hope not. Brian didn't really become productive until his senior year. One could argue until the last 4 games of that season.

SoCalPat
09-10-2018, 01:44 PM
I hope not. Brian didn't really become productive until his senior year. One could argue until the last 4 games of that season.

A patently false statement. His sophomore year was easily his best statistical year, by a smidge passing and by a long ways running.

Applejack
09-10-2018, 02:17 PM

A patently false statement. His sophomore year was easily his best statistical year, by a smidge passing and by a long ways running.

Agree with SoCal. Brian was always great, but the injuries he suffered made this dual threat quarterback a single threat. Still pretty lethal, I dare say.

USS Utah
09-10-2018, 06:26 PM
I'll just leave this here (who knows why):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0eScvuhvWg

SoCalPat
09-10-2018, 09:04 PM
I'll just leave this here (who knows why):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0eScvuhvWg

Loved Casteel giving the UNM DB the finger as he scored his TD. Sakoda and Aiona Key were huge on special teams, and you'll never convince me otherwise that Key jumping in the middle of the line mindjacked Ross Evans' head and caused his two missed FGs the following week when we beat TCU. He simply did not want to kick it straight down the middle, got cute, and bounced one of the left upright and sent the second wide right. And from very makeable distances, too.

You're not the first person to bring this game up over the last 48 hours. I think it's apples to oranges. UNM had won 5 of the previous 7, buried us for our only league loss in 2003 and overcame huge deficits in 2005 and 2006 to beat us. In 1994, they gave us our first loss after an 8-0 start. Yeah, we didn't light the world on fire in the 2008 game, but we had known past seasons ruined by the Lobos, so the mindset of, "Yeah, at least we won," carried far more weight then than it did after beating UNI.

LA Ute
09-10-2018, 10:06 PM

Can you name some great games he won for us in his sophomore year? What I was really saying that his legacy comes down to a great 4-game stretch: OSU, TCU, BYU and Alabama. Can you name any others? I may be wrong and if so, I'll gladly eat crow.

Applejack
09-11-2018, 07:21 AM
Can you name some great games he won for us in his sophomore year? What I was really saying that his legacy comes down to a great 4-game stretch: OSU, TCU, BYU and Alabama. Can you name any others? I may be wrong and if so, I'll gladly eat crow.

https://www.utahby5.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2414&stc=1

Applejack
09-11-2018, 07:28 AM

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/imported_assets/345994/t1_johnsontrophynew.jpg

SoCalPat
09-11-2018, 10:23 AM

You said productive. From an individual perspective, that means statistics and play relative to his peers. You didn't say anything about W-L.

LA Ute
09-11-2018, 10:24 AM
http://cdn0.sbnation.com/imported_assets/345994/t1_johnsontrophynew.jpg

Buzzzz!!!! Penalty imposed. I said his Sophomore year. Not knocking Brian, a great Ute, just trying to add some historical perspective to his career.

LA Ute
09-11-2018, 10:27 AM
You said productive. From an individual perspective, that means statistics and play relative to his peers. You didn't say anything about W-L.

A very lawyerly response, and a correct one as far as it goes. I plead guilty to imprecision. What I meant was what I meant, however: He was the key to winning 4 hugely important games in a row as a senior and he'll be enshrined forever in Utes fans' hearts for those games. But...until his senior year he was an ongoing disappointment.

SoCalPat
09-11-2018, 10:44 AM
A very lawyerly response, and a correct one as far as it goes. I plead guilty to imprecision. What I meant was what I meant, however: He was the key to winning 4 hugely important games in a row as a senior and he'll be enshrined forever in Utes fans' hearts for those games. But...until his senior year he was an ongoing disappointment.

He couldn't even throw as a junior after the injury he suffered in the season-opener against Oregon State. And that game came after he sat out the entire 2006 season, because the injury that happened the ended his 2005 season short hadn't healed, and really took away from his running ability.

An ongoing disappointment until his senior year? Another patently false statement.

LA Ute
09-11-2018, 11:01 AM
An ongoing disappointment until his senior year? Another patently false statement.

Opinions can't be patently false. 🤓

Applejack
09-11-2018, 01:26 PM
This argument is stupid. Let's just call it off. LAuTe is entitled to his opinion (Brian Johnson was an average qb who won some big games) and SoCalPat and I are entitled to ours (NATTY).

Agree to disagree.

mUUser
09-11-2018, 01:53 PM
This argument is stupid. Let's just call it off......Agree to disagree.

Do you remember when SCP and SeattleUte clashed? Good Gawd the ego's that were on display that day. Good times, man.

LA Ute
09-11-2018, 02:12 PM
This argument is stupid. Let's just call it off. LAuTe is entitled to his opinion (Brian Johnson was an average qb who won some big games) and SoCalPat and I are entitled to ours (NATTY).

Agree to disagree.

Sold!

concerned
09-11-2018, 02:28 PM

Agree to disagree.

A stupid argument that I have not participated in? How did that happen? What is wrong with me?

sancho
09-11-2018, 02:59 PM
LAuTe is entitled to his opinion (Brian Johnson was an average qb who won some big games) and SoCalPat and I are entitled to ours (NATTY).

Also, thinking people with more subtle takes are entitled to their opinions.

LA Ute
09-11-2018, 05:30 PM
A stupid argument that I have not participated in? How did that happen? What is wrong with me?

We tried to move through it quickly before you could find out and join in. It was an act of mercy on our part.

concerned
09-11-2018, 09:15 PM
We tried to move through it quickly before you could find out and join in. It was an act of mercy on our part.

Don't let it happen again, or else.

SeattleUte
09-11-2018, 11:07 PM

Agree to disagree.

How is it a stupid argument? The guy was the starting QUARTERBACK on what was indubitably the team that earned the greatest season in Utah’s storied football history. He ought to be everyone Ute fan’s favorite player in history. But all the time I see lists of everyone’s ten favorites, a bunch of local products are on there, but often not Brian Johnson. It makes my blood boil. 2008 would not have happened without him. He’s Whit’s Andre Miller. Quarterback is the most important position in football, arguably in sport. Johnson is the program’s most important player ever. PERIOD!

LAUte is nuts.

sancho
09-11-2018, 11:25 PM
It makes my blood boil.

Easy, big guy. We all love Brian.

SeattleUte
09-11-2018, 11:30 PM
Easy, big guy. We all love Brian.

I just go berserk.

Applejack
09-12-2018, 06:45 AM
How is it a stupid argument? The guy was the starting QUARTERBACK on what was indubitably the team that earned the greatest season in Utah’s storied football history. He ought to be everyone Ute fan’s favorite player in history. But all the time I see lists of everyone’s ten favorites, a bunch of local products are on there, but often not Brian Johnson. It makes my blood boil. 2008 would not have happened without him. He’s Whit’s Andre Miller. Quarterback is the most important position in football, arguably in sport. Johnson is the program’s most important player ever. PERIOD!

LAUte is nuts.

I said the argument is stupid because, well, it is a stupid thing to argue about for the reasons you point out. In this world there are flowers to sniff, great cities to visit, incredible books to read, and wonderful and odd people to meet. Those and many other pursuits are more worthy of people's time than this debate. Internet-arguing about whether Brian Johnson is an all-time great quarterback or just a good quarterback strikes me as about as interesting as arguing if Donald Trump is a good person. The answer is obvious so why waste time debating it?

Ma'ake
09-12-2018, 06:58 AM
Buzzzz!!!! Penalty imposed. I said his Sophomore year. Not knocking Brian, a great Ute, just trying to add some historical perspective to his career.

Probably the most important characteristics that Brian possessed that made him (eventually) great was he was a grinder, and was unflappable. He wasn't a serious talent, and never got a sniff from the NFL, but he persevered and got better.

I'm assuming Taylor sees similar characteristics in Huntley, though I think BJ probably wouldn't have had the same great senior season in the PAC-12, as the whole philosophy of depending on defense and Louie Sakoda wouldn't have been good enough to get through a PAC-12 schedule.

concerned
09-12-2018, 07:43 AM
Better late than never for a stupid argument. I agree with LA Ute. He put a string of tremendous games together at the end of 2008. Before that, meh.

Pile on. Self-inflicted ridicule is my raison detre.

P.S. i love Brian too.

Mormon Red Death
09-12-2018, 08:52 AM
Ok let's discuss a couple of points:

1. Brian Johnson was an all time great. I rank him 3rd in qbs in my lifetime (smith and Mitchell). He had a good arm and made great decisions.

2. Johnson fought thru injuries until he was a senior. It's probably why he ran like a ninny. I remember the Louisville game where we won and he couldn't throw the ball 20 yards.

LA Ute
09-12-2018, 10:59 AM
I just go berserk.

We've noticed that. Thought crimes really trigger you.

SoCalPat
09-12-2018, 03:53 PM
Probably the most important characteristics that Brian possessed that made him (eventually) great was he was a grinder, and was unflappable. He wasn't a serious talent, and never got a sniff from the NFL, but he persevered and got better.

I'm assuming Taylor sees similar characteristics in Huntley, though I think BJ probably wouldn't have had the same great senior season in the PAC-12, as the whole philosophy of depending on defense and Louie Sakoda wouldn't have been good enough to get through a PAC-12 schedule.

We close the deal in 2015 with a 2008 Brian. We had Travis Wilson, who threw for 289 yards in his last three games combined, or 47 yards fewer than Brian threw against Alabama. No QB in Utah history leaned more on defense and special teams than Travis Wilson. Brian would've glued Travis' ass to the bench.

concerned
09-13-2018, 09:31 AM
We close the deal in 2015 with a 2008 Brian. We had Travis Wilson, who threw for 289 yards in his last three games combined, or 47 yards fewer than Brian threw against Alabama. No QB in Utah history leaned more on defense and special teams than Travis Wilson. Brian would've glued Travis' ass to the bench.

As long as we are making comparisons, I was wondering yesterday how good the 2008 team would have been with Alex Smith as qb. He would have glued Brian's ass to the bench.

sancho
09-13-2018, 09:59 AM
As long as we are making comparisons, I was wondering yesterday how good the 2008 team would have been with Alex Smith as qb. He would have glued Brian's ass to the bench.

There goes Alex Smith, the best there ever was.

SoCalPat
09-13-2018, 10:09 AM

The 2008 team went undefeated with Brian and finished No. 2 in the country. How could Alex have improved on that?

LA Ute
09-13-2018, 10:12 AM
The 2008 team went undefeated with Brian and finished No. 2 in the country. How could Alex have improved on that?

Maybe bigger winning margins. (Now we are really in speculation-land!)

concerned
09-13-2018, 10:18 AM
Maybe bigger winning margins. (Now we are really in speculation-land!)

Esp. against TCU and OSU. No last-second escapes at home. We would have been national champions in January 2009, not Sept. 2018.

But I didnt say Alex would have improved on our record, although I did speculate as to how much better the team would have been. I said he would have started over Brian and glued his ass to the bench.

UTEopia
09-13-2018, 10:19 AM

Brian went down the 2008 stretch with David Reed, Freddy Brown, Braden Godfrey and Brent Casteel. Matt Asiata and Darrell Mack were the RB's and the OL was probably the best in Utah football history. Travis two best receivers that year, KScott and Covey, were injured the last month of 2015. No doubt Brian was a better QB than Travis. He also had better weapons.