PDA

View Full Version : A different breed of Husky: Washington at Utah, 2018

LA Ute
09-10-2018, 09:44 AM
If this Seattle Times writer is right, there may be hope for the Utes:

Don’t let the score fool you: UW Huskies have plenty of work to do

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-football/dont-let-the-score-fool-you-the-uw-huskies-have-plenty-of-work-to-do/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

U-Ute
09-10-2018, 10:09 AM
A different breed indeed. At least this week's Huskies know how to spell.

U-Ute
09-10-2018, 10:10 AM
Frankly, I think NIU has a fantastic team. In the end, they gave us some things to think about.

LA Ute
09-10-2018, 10:14 AM
Frankly, I think NIU has a fantastic team. In the end, they gave us some things to think about.

I'll watch NIU the rest of this season. If they do really well then our very average performance against them will look a lot better.

concerned
09-10-2018, 02:14 PM
I'll watch NIU the rest of this season. If they do really well then our very average performance against them will look a lot better.

Their game in Provo will be telling.

Applejack
09-10-2018, 02:30 PM
Just rewatched the first 20 minutes of the game which I missed because I sometimes have to work. I really watch differently when the outcome is not in doubt. The offensive issues have been discussed but I think there are some things that need tightenening up on D as well.

- Jaylon Johnson: Northern Illinois had a game plan to exploit JJ. Maybe they saw something in the game film about JJ or they were just scared of Blackmon, but they made a conscious effort to consistently attack Jaylon's side. And it worked too. He got beat bad in coverage and his man was wide open for what would have been a 50+ yard TD. Fortunately for us the ball was overthrown. But, that play and others made me question JJ's coverage skills. I know that he is a true sophmore, but those kind of mistakes will kill us against any number of QBs. On the positive side, he was great against the run and snuffed out a couple of screen passes.
- Cody Barton: He has really grown into the position and is a key component of our defense. But too often he got caught with his eyes in the backfield on the read option. Too often he's rushing in to make a play on the RB before the QB has given up the rock. For teams that really run the read option well, this will be exploited.

- The D-Line: I liked what I saw from the defensive line. They got gashed some at the start and then they pushed back. They have a good amount of nastiness to them. Tafua has been a really nice pickup so far.

Rocker Ute
09-10-2018, 02:41 PM
Just rewatched the first 20 minutes of the game which I missed because I sometimes have to work. I really watch differently when the outcome is not in doubt. The offensive issues have been discussed but I think there are some things that need tightenening up on D as well.

- Jaylon Johnson: Northern Illinois had a game plan to exploit JJ. Maybe they saw something in the game film about JJ or they were just scared of Blackmon, but they made a conscious effort to consistently attack Jaylon's side. And it worked too. He got beat bad in coverage and his man was wide open for what would have been a 50+ yard TD. Fortunately for us the ball was overthrown. But, that play and others made me question JJ's coverage skills. I know that he is a true sophmore, but those kind of mistakes will kill us against any number of QBs. On the positive side, he was great against the run and snuffed out a couple of screen passes.
- Cody Barton: He has really grown into the position and is a key component of our defense. But too often he got caught with his eyes in the backfield on the read option. Too often he's rushing in to make a play on the RB before the QB has given up the rock. For teams that really run the read option well, this will be exploited.

- The D-Line: I liked what I saw from the defensive line. They got gashed some at the start and then they pushed back. They have a good amount of nastiness to them. Tafua has been a really nice pickup so far.

Good points. A thing to consider is despite the competition, nobody has driven the field to score a TD on our defense yet, and the sole TD our opponents have had was off a TO. I think our D is pretty stout. I said to my brother, "Our defense will keep us in games, our offense will lose them for us." If we don't put it together I won't be surprised to see us in a lot of close losses this year.

Applejack
09-10-2018, 02:45 PM
yeah, agree that the D has been the star in this lone-star season thusfar. Here's to hoping that the offense finds its was before Saturday. That is not unprecedented; Kyle's teams typically gel in week 3 or 4. But they better gel quickly.

SoCalPat
09-10-2018, 07:46 PM
Their game in Provo will be telling.

We'll need to revisit this, but I'm predicting an O-U in that game of 45 or less, which is something you don't see a lot of in CFB.

U-Ute
09-12-2018, 08:47 AM
Jaylon Johnson[/B]: Northern Illinois had a game plan to exploit JJ. Maybe they saw something in the game film about JJ or they were just scared of Blackmon, but they made a conscious effort to consistently attack Jaylon's side. And it worked too. He got beat bad in coverage and his man was wide open for what would have been a 50+ yard TD. Fortunately for us the ball was overthrown. But, that play and others made me question JJ's coverage skills. I know that he is a true sophmore, but those kind of mistakes will kill us against any number of QBs. On the positive side, he was great against the run and snuffed out a couple of screen passes.

On the replay, it seemed to me like JJ was expecting help over the top. I think Ballard got sucked too far to the left by the QB's eyes. You can see Ballard tapping his chest as he came over like he knew he made a mistake.

But, that being said, I agree that they did seem to be trying to pick on JJ a lot.

U-Ute
09-12-2018, 08:48 AM
It is cool that our two most standout players for the first two games are Utah County HS quarterbacks.

concerned
09-12-2018, 09:03 AM
It is cool that our two most standout players for the first two games are Utah County HS quarterbacks.

The many advantages of Pac 12 recruiting.

UTEopia
09-12-2018, 10:23 AM
I'm trying to figure out whether this game will be like the past couple USC home games (gutsy Utah wins), Stanford last year(hard fought loss) or TCU in 2010 (blowout loss). I guess I am expecting a loss and hoping I will be wrong.

concerned
09-12-2018, 10:27 AM
I'm trying to figure out whether this game will be like the past couple USC home games (gutsy Utah wins), Stanford last year(hard fought loss) or TCU in 2010 (blowout loss). I guess I am expecting a loss and hoping I will be wrong.

or: UW last year (hard fought loss with a head-scratching coaching decision at the end).

LA Ute
09-12-2018, 11:02 AM
or: UW last year (hard fought loss with a head-scratching coaching decision at the end).

Not exactly an exciting array of likely possibilities. Nevertheless, I will be there, in blackout gear, cheering loudly for the Utes.

Applejack
09-12-2018, 12:47 PM
C'mon you ninnies! Everyone here is acting like it's doom and gloom time. Yes, we haven't played well (the offense has been putrid); yes, we are playing a top ten team that needs to prove itself each week in order to make the college football playoffs; yes, we haven't had great success against Washington.

But this game is ready made for Kyle. Consider:

1. His team has played like crap the first few weeks against much lesser opponents. Remember when we got blanked (BLANKED!) by UNLV 27-0? I'll bet you do. But do remember that the week after we absolutely curb stomped #11 UCLA? Kyle's teams get up for games when you least expect it.
2. He relishes the role of the underdog. Alabama in the Sug, Oregon in 2015, every time we have ever played Stanford. He will have the team ready to go.
3. I'm sure he has had some heart-to-heart discussions with some position groups this week (O-line, WRs). They will play better this week.

In summary, this week is eerily similar to so many BYU weeks in the past; everyone (including our fans) concedes that we have no chance, and we summarily destroy the Cougars come Saturday.

And you know who agrees with me? Vegas. They are placing the line between the #10 team in the nation and the unoffensive Utes at 6.5. UW is in for a dogfight on Saturday. I like my dog.

sancho
09-12-2018, 12:58 PM
C'mon you ninnies! Everyone here is acting like it's doom and gloom time.

Not everyone! At least two of us have picked Utah to win.

LA Ute
09-12-2018, 01:15 PM
C'mon you ninnies! Everyone here is acting like it's doom and gloom time. Yes, we haven't played well (the offense has been putrid); yes, we are playing a top ten team that needs to prove itself each week in order to make the college football playoffs; yes, we haven't had great success against Washington.

1. His team has played like crap the first few weeks against much lesser opponents. Remember when we got blanked (BLANKED!) by UNLV 27-0? I'll bet you do. But do remember that the week after we absolutely curb stomped #11 UCLA? Kyle's teams get up for games when you least expect it.
2. He relishes the role of the underdog. Alabama in the Sug, Oregon in 2015, every time we have ever played Stanford. He will have the team ready to go.
3. I'm sure he has had some heart-to-heart discussions with some position groups this week (O-line, WRs). They will play better this week.

In summary, this week is eerily similar to so many BYU weeks in the past; everyone (including our fans) concedes that we have no chance, and we summarily destroy the Cougars come Saturday.

And you know who agrees with me? Vegas. They are placing the line between the #10 team in the nation and the unoffensive Utes at 6.5. UW is in for a dogfight on Saturday. I like my dog.

We certainly have a chance, and I won't be surprised if the Utes win. I'll be over the moon. I am just trying not to be in a position to trigger my Ute football fan PTSD.

UTEopia
09-12-2018, 01:37 PM

The most positive thing about everything you mention is that I felt the same those weeks as I do now.

Applejack
09-12-2018, 02:04 PM
Relish the last time we beat the Huskies. And the only time we've beat them.

https://pac-12.com/videos/highlights-utah-football-holds-determined-washington-team

I love me some Travis Wilson read option highlights.

sancho
09-12-2018, 02:57 PM
Relish the last time we beat the Huskies. And the only time we've beat them.

https://pac-12.com/videos/highlights-utah-football-holds-determined-washington-team

I love me some Travis Wilson read option highlights.

It's not just UW - we've also had issues with Chris Peterson.

UTEopia
09-13-2018, 10:08 AM
I watched the NIU game yesterday while recovering from a very minor medical procedure. I was unable to watch it previously and was only able to listen to the late 3rd and 4th quarter on radio. Anyway, I was less troubled after watching the game than I was from reading the reactions here and elsewhere. All of the issues raised by fans were evident, but they all look correctible to me.

A couple things I hope to see Saturday. A more confident Huntley. I think he is trying very hard to do what the coaches are asking him to do: stay in the pocket longer, run less, take fewer hits, but in doing so he is thinking too much and not doing things as they come to him naturally. Fewer drops. These are absolute drive killers. They also kill the morale of the OL and the QB. More Zach Moss. Better special teams. I hope we play our best game, and if we do so and lose, so be it.

SoCalPat
09-13-2018, 10:29 AM
We break out on offense this week and drop 30-plus. That should be enough to win.

Diehard Ute
09-14-2018, 11:06 AM
388th Fighter Wing doing an F-35A flyover during pregame.

sancho
09-15-2018, 08:14 PM
Wow, I think UW was ready for the screen to Covey.

Sullyute
09-15-2018, 10:50 PM
So many opportunities...

LA Ute
09-15-2018, 11:01 PM
So many opportunities...

Nobody making plays, too many people making mistakes. 7 points won’t win us many games.

chrisrenrut
09-15-2018, 11:07 PM
Turnovers and drops killed us today. Even the fumble after the interception by Tonga, while not a turnover, prevented a touchdown.

LA Ute
09-15-2018, 11:07 PM
Well, we said we’d know more after the Washington game. So what do we know now?

sancho
09-15-2018, 11:32 PM
targeting-targeting-fumble-fumble-fumble-miss-drop-holding-game over

Each one a critical mistake/call. It's a shame. UW was ripe for the taking tonight.

targeting - gave them life when they were pinned back
targeting - took away an interception
lost fumbles - both on 1st down conversions
fumble/miss/drop - cost us a TD
holding - turned a first and goal into a game over

DrumNFeather
09-15-2018, 11:34 PM
I'm gonna give it a little time before I dig into this one, but I think it is totally fair to take a look at the other QBs during the bye week. I know the o-line has had problems, I know the WRs have dropped the ball, but at the end of the game it became a safety issue for the WRs with where Tyler was placing the ball.

sancho
09-15-2018, 11:59 PM
I'm gonna give it a little time before I dig into this one, but I think it is totally fair to take a look at the other QBs during the bye week. I know the o-line has had problems, I know the WRs have dropped the ball, but at the end of the game it became a safety issue for the WRs with where Tyler was placing the ball.

The good news is that UW is as good as any defense we'll see this season.

Covey taking hard hits is always going to be a thing. He's small, and he doesn't shy away from contact.

The drops were huge, as always.

It sure seemed like the offense quit after the holding penalty. I didn't like the body language of anyone from that point on.

I imagine there will be a lot of calls for Tuttle. If we switch, I guess now is the time, since we have a bye and then play a normal defense instead of a great one. If we do stay with Huntley, I hope we really think about the called QB runs. I don't know if we need to tweak something or just ditch them altogether, but they haven't been effective through three games.

Scorcho
09-16-2018, 12:04 AM
I am baffled about what Troy Taylor is doing? We had one drive where Moss got the ball, that was the one drive where we scored. UW has a great secondary, why were constantly throwing the ball?

sancho
09-16-2018, 12:18 AM
I am baffled about what Troy Taylor is doing? We had one drive where Moss got the ball, that was the one drive where we scored. UW has a great secondary, why were constantly throwing the ball?

I think they put extra attention on the run game after that drive. That opened up a short pass game for us, but we fumbled it away on competed passes.

SoCalPat
09-16-2018, 12:58 AM
It’s too early to declare Tyler Huntley a failure and anticipate a transfer to a lower level to where he can be successful. But it’s not too late to see what we’ve got with Tuttle and Shelley. Quite frankly, if I were Kyle, I would literally list everyone offensive player on the next depth chart and throw up an open competition for the entire unit.

Mormon Red Death
09-16-2018, 07:02 AM
I've got a novel idea. We should give the ball to our best player more than 12 times. I know it sounds crazy

sancho
09-16-2018, 07:35 AM
issue for the WRs with where Tyler was placing the ball.

Is the idea that Huntley is throwing it to late?

sancho
09-16-2018, 07:57 AM
I've got a novel idea. We should give the ball to our best player more than 12 times. I know it sounds crazy

He was 6-35 on the touchdown drive, 7-32 the rest of the way. Sure seems like more carries were needed. I don't know how much his injury played a role.

concerned
09-16-2018, 08:17 AM
On TV, did replay show Ty Jones in bounds? On the scoreboard it sure looked like his knee was out. I was shocked they overturned.

sancho
09-16-2018, 10:24 AM
On TV, did replay show Ty Jones in bounds? On the scoreboard it sure looked like his knee was out. I was shocked they overturned.

Yes, it was clear.

UTEopia
09-16-2018, 10:31 AM
I have tried to figure out our offensive identity for 16 games now and I still have no clue. I told my wife as we walked to our car after the game that I thought that was the biggest problem. The first interview we hear when arriving at our car was Covey. When asked what he thought the problem was, he said that the offense has no identity. I believe that is the biggest problem facing the offense right now. We as fans don't know what the identity is and it sounds like the players don't either. The lack of identity causes us to flounder. On the second to last possession of the first half, we had 2nd and 2 at mid-field after an 8 yard run on first down. Instead of running the ball, we throw a 10 yard out to the sidelines that is overthrown, leaving us in 3rd and 2. We then take our best option and line him up as far away from the ball as possible and try a QB run up the middle that gets stuffed. Lack of an identity.

There are a lot of failures in execution that hurt this offense. Dropped passes and inconsistency at OL and QB. However, the biggest problem, IMO, is lack of identity, and nothing will get better until the coaches figure out what we want to be.

Hot Lunch
09-16-2018, 11:25 AM
I have tried to figure out our offensive identity for 16 games now and I still have no clue. I told my wife as we walked to our car after the game that I thought that was the biggest problem. The first interview we hear when arriving at our car was Covey. When asked what he thought the problem was, he said that the offense has no identity. I believe that is the biggest problem facing the offense right now. We as fans don't know what the identity is and it sounds like the players don't either. The lack of identity causes us to flounder. On the second to last possession of the first half, we had 2nd and 2 at mid-field after an 8 yard run on first down. Instead of running the ball, we throw a 10 yard out to the sidelines that is overthrown, leaving us in 3rd and 2. We then take our best option and line him up as far away from the ball as possible and try a QB run up the middle that gets stuffed. Lack of an identity.

There are a lot of failures in execution that hurt this offense. Dropped passes and inconsistency at OL and QB. However, the biggest problem, IMO, is lack of identity, and nothing will get better until the coaches figure out what we want to be.

100% agree with this. As I walked to my car last night after the game, this is all I could talk about with a friend of mine that came to the game with me. Utah has zero identity on offense. No idea what Troy's philosophy is and until then, we will be a bad offensive team like we are. I think as a fan, last night was the most angry I have ever been after a loss.

concerned
09-16-2018, 12:05 PM
When Covey says we have no identity, is he taking a shot at Taylor?

USS Utah
09-16-2018, 12:07 PM
I love the defense. I love Covey. I like Moss -- maybe more than Taylor does. Huntley might get Covey killed. Outside of Covey and Moss, the offense has got serious issues.

LA Ute
09-16-2018, 12:15 PM
100% agree with this. As I walked to my car last night after the game, this is all I could talk about with a friend of mine that came to the game with me. Utah has zero identity on offense. No idea what Troy's philosophy is and until then, we will be a bad offensive team like we are. I think as a fan, last night was the most angry I have ever been after a loss.

When have we ever had an offensive identity under Whitt? Maybe 2008. Love him or hate him, that’s Kyle’s coaching style. Few propositions in life are undeniable, but that one is.

I fear that part of the problem may be that Taylor has so very little experience running a D1 offense. This is not a new problem to those of us who’ve been following Utah football for the last 7 years.

Applejack
09-16-2018, 12:32 PM
When have we ever had an offensive identity under Whitt? Maybe 2008. Love him or hate him, that’s Kyle’s coaching style. Few propositions in life are undeniable, but that one is.

I fear that part of the problem may be that Taylor has so very little experience running a D1 offense. This is not a new problem to those of us who’ve been following Utah football for the last 7 years.

Bring back Brian Johnson!

tooblue
09-16-2018, 12:33 PM
Which one of you namby pambies deleted my posts? They were funny, and at a time like this all you can do is laugh.

They need to demote the OC, bench Huntley and commit to running the ball. And for heavens sake stop targeting Covey so much. One of these times he's not going to get up.

Applejack
09-16-2018, 12:38 PM
Which one of you namby pambies deleted my posts? They were funny, and at a time like this all you can do is laugh.

They need to demote the OC, bench Huntley and commit to running the ball. And for heavens sake stop targeting Covey so much. One of these times he's not going to get up.

5-win ceiling.

tooblue
09-16-2018, 12:47 PM
5-win ceiling.

This is a Utah thread so I will only indulge for a moment: After the way they played last year, and the lack of depth they have, five wins seemed likely. I am happy to be wrong.

Now let's talk the Utes: they are still going to win the south and will likely get another shot at Washington. So, ya'll better nut up and have a little faith that Whittingham gets this thing fixed.

sancho
09-16-2018, 01:59 PM
Huntley might get Covey killed.

I wish they hadn't said this last night - now everyone is going to believe/repeat it. If someone gets Covey killed playing football, it will be Covey. He's small, and he's fearless.

Huntley isn't calling the plays. Pass routes are run. If there's a window, the throw is made. Maybe, if he were better, Huntley could find openings earlier to give WRs more cushion. Part of that is the route running, and part is the play calling. To say Huntley is dangerous to our WRs is a little over the top. Hits happen - they happen a lot against UW.

sancho
09-16-2018, 02:06 PM

One hard thing is that we're always frustratingly close. Even with the abysmal performance last night, we were close to having a coherent offense. Every loss is like this. We're always a call, a bounce, a drop, etc away from winning. If we were never close, it would be easy to say we'll scrap it all and start from scratch (like BYU under Detmer). The fact that it always feels like we are almost there makes it harder to know what to do.

I do think we need to go downfield a few more times per game, we need to feed Moss more, and we need to either fix or scrap the option. One more thing - Huntley is average at best at pretty much everything except for throwing on the run. He's as good as anyone at throwing on the run. We need to get him moving more often. The perfect throw that was dropped had Huntley rolling right.

UTEopia
09-16-2018, 02:06 PM

I understood our identity under Chow and ARod. Under Chow we had Jon Hayes at QB, John White at RB, a good OL and Shawn Asiata as a blocking fullback. We were a power run team that play actioned off the power run. Chow left and BJ became the OC. I think Brian was too young to be put into that position and never really had the opportunity to figure out what he wanted to do and how he wanted to do it. He didn't have his own offensive playbook. He was borrowing things from Andy, Chow and ARod and trying to mix them altogether. Under ARod we had Travis at QB, a veteran OL and Joe Williams at RB. Travis was not a good passer, but he was the best we had. The offensive identity was hand the ball to Joe, mix in some QB run-option to take advantage of what Travis did well and throw when necessary. Now those identities had drawbacks and limitations. We were not explosive. We bogged down in the redzone. However, we put the players we had in the best possible position to win.

LA Ute
09-16-2018, 02:25 PM
Here are a couple of insightful posts from a guy who goes by CityUte on UF.net:

https://www.utefans.net/message.php?id=1923781#message1923781

https://www.utefans.net/message.php?id=1923777#message1923777

sancho
09-16-2018, 03:11 PM
insightful posts

Insightful? The classic "Whittingham hates offense" insight that lazy fans have been making for 10 years.

UTEopia
09-16-2018, 03:15 PM
Here are a couple of insightful posts from a guy who goes by CityUte on UF.net:

https://www.utefans.net/message.php?id=1923781#message1923781

https://www.utefans.net/message.php?id=1923777#message1923777

"I have no trouble believing, and this is my suspicion, that there's just not a lot of day-to-day leadership alignment, no coherent chain of effort and accountability from Whit -> Troy -> assistants -> captains in a coherent, all-in together sort of way, because the HC doesn't care concretely, day-to-day, about offense, and this trickles downward, waterfall-style."

The above quote is the gist of what he was saying. From my experience he both right and wrong.

He is wrong in terms of day-to-day. The entire staff will meet together from 7:00 am - 9:00 am every morning to review what is going on. These are very detailed reviews. The offensive and defensive coaches will then go into their own meetings from 9:00 - 11:00. Whit would typically spend time with each group. With the offensive group, with one exception in the 7 years I was there, Whit did not come in saying you need to do this or you need to do that or you need to play this guy or you need to play that guy. He mostly wanted the coaches to identify what they perceived as the issues, good and bad, and outline what they were doing to address and correct them.

He is right in the sense that unlike defensive identity, Whit does not have his own preferred offensive identity that he wants put in place. When Hackett asked Whit on the radio last night what he wants the offensive identity to be, he said: "be efficient, execute, move the chains and put points on the board. There are a 1,000 different ways to do that."

However, even this lack of a specific identity, puts pressure on OC's to do things a certain way. With ARod, it caused him to be more conservative than he wanted to be. However, he believed that was the best way to win and we won 10 in 2015 and 9 in 2016. I believe we would have won more games a year ago if ARod had not been fired and Troy Williams had been our QB. But, I admit to my own bias.

I was mad at the ARod firing and skeptical of the Taylor hire from the get go, but I have tried to be fair to Taylor. Right now, I don't think he is putting the players we have in the best position to succeed. I am not advocating that Taylor be replaced. I think the revolving door at OC has been a huge problem. I hope they take this bye week and determine that that they are going to run Moss 20+ times a game (he is our best offensive weapon). Give Shyne a couple of series each half. He can be productive. Run the QB run option 5 or 6 times a game. Get Huntley outside the pocket to pass (I think he is better throwing on the run than in the pocket).

sancho
09-16-2018, 03:19 PM
I was mad at the ARod firing and skeptical of the Taylor hire from the get go, but I have tried to be fair to Taylor. Right now, I don't think he is putting the players we have in the best position to succeed. I am not advocating that Taylor be replaced. I think the revolving door at OC has been a huge problem. I hope they take this bye week and determine that that they are going to run Moss 20+ times a game (he is our best offensive weapon). Give Shyne a couple of series each half. He can be productive. Run the QB run option 5 or 6 times a game. Get Huntley outside the pocket to pass (I think he is better throwing on the run than in the pocket).

Did I write this? This is exactly what I think, except for the 5-6 QB run options per game.

Two years ago, the popular complaint was that Whittingham was too controlling of the offense. Now, it appears, the complaint is that he's too hands off.

Utebiquitous
09-16-2018, 03:27 PM
Sancho,
The perfect throw that was dropped you are referring I too - I think - was the fourth and one from the two-yard-line. Huntley threw a fastball at the tight end that should have been a touch pass. It was an awful pass that had very little chance at being caught. Contrast it with the same play, I think in the first quarter that went for a first down. Huntley threw that pass much softer. That was one drop that is 99% on the quarterback.

Huntley was not good last night. I agree with your thoughts that we're a play or two away. I would say that Huntley's very much a reason why. Yes, key drops, but he threw several very poor passes last night. None worse than the interception to finish the half. He keyed on his receiver immediately and threw into double coverage. When he threw the ball the receiver had already become the defender. The cornerback basically ran the route.

I don't think it's time to make a change but I'm worried. We need Ty to throw better and we need receivers to catch the ball. This offense doesn't need to be great this year but they need to be good. With a defense that may be great we just need good on offense and we'll win the south and hopefully see Washington again.

sancho
09-16-2018, 03:35 PM
It was an awful pass that had very little chance at being caught.

I agree with everything else you wrote, but this just isn't true. That pass is caught almost every time. It was just a drop. I remember thinking as I watched "Oh no, he threw it too hard!" Then, on replay, I saw that he actually placed it perfectly without putting too much on it.

The interception was truly awful. Cost us a shot at a very long FG.

Targeting remains one of the worst things college football has done in recent years. Such good intentions, and such a bad rule.

UTEopia
09-16-2018, 05:17 PM
Did I write this? This is exactly what I think, except for the 5-6 QB run options per game.

Two years ago, the popular complaint was that Whittingham was too controlling of the offense. Now, it appears, the complaint is that he's too hands off.

I would run the 5 or 6 QB options with Huntley, much as was done with Travis.

USS Utah
09-16-2018, 05:32 PM
I wish they hadn't said this last night - now everyone is going to believe/repeat it. If someone gets Covey killed playing football, it will be Covey. He's small, and he's fearless.

Huntley isn't calling the plays. Pass routes are run. If there's a window, the throw is made. Maybe, if he were better, Huntley could find openings earlier to give WRs more cushion. Part of that is the route running, and part is the play calling. To say Huntley is dangerous to our WRs is a little over the top. Hits happen - they happen a lot against UW.

I think it's called hyperbole for a reason.

LA Ute
09-16-2018, 05:57 PM
Insightful? The classic "Whittingham hates offense" insight that lazy fans have been making for 10 years.

I thought the guy was trying to post his theory about what might be going on. He did a lot more than say Kyle hates offense. Think about it. If Whitt, in his heart of hearts, just wants someone else to take care of offense, and he believes what he said on the radio last night ("Be efficient, execute, move the chains and put points on the board. There are a 1,000 different ways to do that.") then that explains a lot of things about all the serial OC changes and the Utes' offensive struggles.

I think that statement by Whitt says an awful lot. I don't want him gone but I think we need to be honest with ourselves that Kyle is not an offense-minded head coach, and it shows. That seems absolutely plain to me. I don't understand why some fans refuse to admit it.

sancho
09-16-2018, 06:30 PM
Kyle is not an offense-minded head coach, and it shows. That seems absolutely plain to me. I don't understand why some fans refuse to admit it.

I don't know anyone who would refuse to admit that Kyle is a defensive minded coach. It's all the other stuff - said, unsaid, implied, hypothesized, extrapolated - that comes along with it that some people won't indulge in.

I do - amazingly - know some fans who refuse to admit that Kyle is a great coach.

sancho
09-16-2018, 08:15 PM
I would run the 5 or 6 QB options with Huntley, much as was done with Travis.

I like that approach, but I'm losing patience for it. Travis was really good at running the option. He sold fakes really well, he made good choices, and he was big enough to get some YAC. It just never seems to work with Huntley.

LA Ute
09-16-2018, 10:24 PM
I don't know anyone who would refuse to admit that Kyle is a defensive minded coach. It's all the other stuff - said, unsaid, implied, hypothesized, extrapolated - that comes along with it that some people won't indulge in.

I do - amazingly - know some fans who refuse to admit that Kyle is a great coach.

He is a great coach. Some pretty smart football people I know (I am not such a person) think Kyle may be another McBride, on a plateau he can't get off of -- except that the plateau Whitt is on is higher than the one Ronnie Mac was on. It's still a plateau.

SeattleUte
09-16-2018, 10:47 PM
Chris Peterson has just about everybody’s number. He’s like Urban Meyer, in a class by himself. He may get even more out of his talent. It’s unfortunate we played them so early because his Huskies have tended to fade a bit as the year goes. They play super hard. But holding them to 21 ought to have been enough to beat them. I’d have guessed it could be.

Now it’s not an unreasonable goal to win the South and beat them in a rematch title game. Let’s hope for the best, see what happens.

sancho
09-16-2018, 11:25 PM
Now it’s not an unreasonable goal to win the South

Sure does look up for grabs right now.

sancho
09-16-2018, 11:38 PM
He is a great coach. Some pretty smart football people I know (I am not such a person) think Kyle may be another McBride, on a plateau he can't get off of -- except that the plateau Whitt is on is higher than the one Ronnie Mac was on. It's still a plateau.

You literally can't go any higher than a national championship, so, yeah, I guess he plateau'ed.

LA Ute
09-17-2018, 06:47 AM
You literally can't go any higher than a national championship, so, yeah, I guess he plateau'ed.

Well played. I just don’t want 2008 to become our 1984.

sancho
09-17-2018, 07:12 AM
Well played. I just don’t want 2008 to become our 1984.

That's fair.

U-Ute
09-17-2018, 08:35 AM
Did I miss something? Where was Siosi Mariner? He had been playing really well.

sancho
09-17-2018, 08:57 AM
Did I miss something? Where was Siosi Mariner? He had been playing really well.

I think he's the one who laid out that LB on Huntley's big scramble. Am I wrong? In general, we went from 10+ guys with receptions to just 6.

concerned
09-17-2018, 09:06 AM
I think he's the one who laid out that LB on Huntley's big scramble. Am I wrong? In general, we went from 10+ guys with receptions to just 6.

You're right; he was.

concerned
09-17-2018, 09:10 AM
Is this what we mean about having no identity?

Utebuntu‏ @Utebuntu (https://twitter.com/Utebuntu) 13m13 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/Utebuntu/status/1041702392784248833)

Unpopular, but I think very true take: Utah has assembled an offensive line that isn’t built to be pass protectors. We want to be a passing offense so badly but we aren’t built for it. Utah’s best chance to win many games this year is run-heavy offense with elite defense.

UBlender
09-17-2018, 09:23 AM
Maybe so, but I don't really think that pass protection was the problem in this game.

sancho
09-17-2018, 09:56 AM
Maybe so, but I don't really think that pass protection was the problem in this game.

I thought it was much better than it was against NIU. Of course, NIU has an all-american DE.

Is our line built for run blocking? That's an interesting question. I don't think they are regularly opening big holes for Moss/Huntley, and we seem to be struggling with 3rd and short. I think they struggled with RPOs last season.

Diehard Ute
09-17-2018, 09:57 AM

It wasn’t.

Tony Jones had several interactions with people on Twitter.

His take is Tyler’s lack of accuracy is affecting the play calls Taylor will make

His take on the wideouts is they’re afraid of getting blown up because of the lack of accuracy so they’re short arming everything.

I think it’s pretty accurate.

Scorcho
09-17-2018, 10:12 AM
I thought it was much better than it was against NIU. Of course, NIU has an all-american DE.

Is our line built for run blocking? That's an interesting question. I don't think they are regularly opening big holes for Moss/Huntley, and we seem to be struggling with 3rd and short. I think they struggled with RPOs last season.

Washington St game announced start time at 4PM MT

sancho
09-17-2018, 10:39 AM
His take is Tyler’s lack of accuracy is affecting the play calls Taylor will make

I agree. We aren't going to go downfield as often with Huntley due to accuracy. He's been accurate on 0-10 yard outs, though.

I haven't seen WRs with alligator arms. Maybe a compilations of drops would prove me wrong, but I don't remember this as an issue.

I loved Tony Jones on Twitter. I stopped following him when he was demoted to the Jazz. Maybe I should follow him again. He wasn't afraid to argue with fans or to double down on losing arguments. He's definitely relatable. Feels like one of us.

Rocker Ute
09-17-2018, 11:17 AM
If I'm an opponent of Utah's I will corner blitz all night long. Huntley has not pocket presence and it will contain his running ability too. Interestingly, I think Jake Browning has the same problem dealing with the blitz... draw whatever conclusion you want on that.

Either that or throw a triangle and two at them. That seems to work for everything in all sports.

sancho
09-17-2018, 11:53 AM
Targeting remains one of the worst things college football has done in recent years. Such good intentions, and such a bad rule.

Seriously, show a non-football fan the hard hits from Sat's game, and have them guess who got personal fouls. 10/10 would guess the Husky DB who violently laid his shoulder into Covey's chest. That was by far the most violent moment of the game. Perfectly legal, dangerous violence.

0/10 would guess Fotu's hit because it wouldn't even make the list of hard hits. That was just another hit in a game full of them. He gets an ejection AND a suspension for that, while the truly violent plays are just fine.

I wish some of the big sportswriters would stop writing about paying players and write about the mess that is the targeting penalty (or the mess that is scheduling, but that's a different rant). Almost every targeting I see called is for incidental contact. To throw someone out of the game for incidental contact is ridiculous.

Fans already have trust issues with referees. Now we see them refs trying to make sense of an awful rule. They send it to the booth (which is manned by another referee, so not really inspiring confidence), and the booth checks frame-by-frame if any part of a player's helmet makes contact with another player. Then they allow a former ref (!) to tell us how it's the right call.

If they want a rule to protect players, they should make one. If they want a rule that throws people out of games randomly, they are doing well.

concerned
09-17-2018, 12:05 PM
Seriously, show a non-football fan the hard hits from Sat's game, and have them guess who got personal fouls. 10/10 would guess the Husky DB who violently laid his shoulder into Covey's chest. That was by far the most violent moment of the game. Perfectly legal, dangerous violence.

0/10 would guess Fotu's hit because it wouldn't even make the list of hard hits. That was just another hit in a game full of them. He gets an ejection AND a suspension for that, while the truly violent plays are just fine.

I wish some of the big sportswriters would stop writing about paying players and write about the mess that is the targeting penalty (or the mess that is scheduling, but that's a different rant). Almost every targeting I see called is for incidental contact. To throw someone out of the game for incidental contact is ridiculous.

Fans already have trust issues with referees. Now we see them refs trying to make sense of an awful rule. They send it to the booth (which is manned by another referee, so not really inspiring confidence), and the booth checks frame-by-frame if any part of a player's helmet makes contact with another player. Then they allow a former ref (!) to tell us how it's the right call.

If they want a rule to protect players, they should make one. If they want a rule that throws people out of games randomly, they are doing well.

The Fotu hit and the Clay Mathews roughing the passer were both ridiculous, IMHO

LA Ute
09-17-2018, 12:34 PM
As things have turned out, I think the bye this week is very well-timed for us. Lots to work on.

concerned
09-17-2018, 12:47 PM
As things have turned out, I think the bye this week is very well-timed for us. Lots to work on.

On a macro level of course, its not a good thing if a bye after three weeks is a good thing.

LA Ute
09-17-2018, 01:24 PM
On a macro level of course, its not a good thing if a bye after three weeks is a good thing.

True. But this team needed to be rescued.

Diehard Ute
09-17-2018, 01:34 PM
We need to get Moss healthy.

Julian Blackmon went out in the second half and didn’t return despite testing a leg injury.

Mariner was nowhere to be seen after blowing the UW linebacker up

The bye is needed.

SoCalPat
09-17-2018, 04:37 PM
I understood our identity under Chow and ARod. Under Chow we had Jon Hayes at QB, John White at RB, a good OL and Shawn Asiata as a blocking fullback. We were a power run team that play actioned off the power run. Chow left and BJ became the OC. I think Brian was too young to be put into that position and never really had the opportunity to figure out what he wanted to do and how he wanted to do it. He didn't have his own offensive playbook. He was borrowing things from Andy, Chow and ARod and trying to mix them altogether. Under ARod we had Travis at QB, a veteran OL and Joe Williams at RB. Travis was not a good passer, but he was the best we had. The offensive identity was hand the ball to Joe, mix in some QB run-option to take advantage of what Travis did well and throw when necessary. Now those identities had drawbacks and limitations. We were not explosive. We bogged down in the redzone. However, we put the players we had in the best possible position to win.

Minor clarification: Travis had Devontae Booker. Troy Williams had Joe Williams. All else is largely spot-on.

SoCalPat
09-17-2018, 04:55 PM
Washington St game announced start time at 4PM MT

On Pac-12 Nets too, as I suspected (Thought we'd get an earlier start -- sorry Sancho). I'm optimistic Stanford will be nationally televised (the schedule isn't very appealing that week), and then three straight weeks of nationally televised games (Arizona, USC, UCLA -- the bookends on Friday night; USC ain't gonna have a league game relegated to P12 Nets).

USS Utah
09-17-2018, 05:27 PM
I have heard reports that Covey said the offense has no identity, and that one of the reasons for this is that they are running too many formations.

We had, what, 38 pass plays on Saturady? Thiry-eight passes against one of the best defensive secondaries in college football makes no sense, especially when you have a running back like Moss -- who ran for 67 yards on 13 carries, a 5.15 yards per carry average.

The answer seems obvious: Simplify, simplify, simplify -- fewer formations, more carries for Moss.

Diehard Ute
09-17-2018, 07:35 PM
I have heard reports that Covey said the offense has no identity, and that one of the reasons for this is that they are running too many formations.

We had, what, 38 pass plays on Saturady? Thiry-eight passes against one of the best defensive secondaries in college football makes no sense, especially when you have a running back like Moss -- who ran for 67 yards on 13 carries, a 5.15 yards per carry average.

The answer seems obvious: Simplify, simplify, simplify -- fewer formations, more carries for Moss.

Covey said they needed to run more Moss and we lack an identity.

Kyle said today we ran too many personnel groups and that’s on him, along with the other coaches.

He said the offensive staff got too caught up in getting the perfect group in and it made the players not always know what was going on.

Kyle also inferred Shyne has not practiced well.

U-Ute
09-18-2018, 11:24 AM
Kyle also inferred Shyne has not practiced well.

Discovering your mortality can have that effect on you.

DrumNFeather
09-18-2018, 10:13 PM
So, ESPNU has a replay of the game on, so I decided to chart the lone scoring drive that the Utes had, and here are the results:

Started on our own 20:

Run: Moss, 4 Yards
Run: Moss, 5 Yards
Pass: Haller, 4 Yards (Same one that was dropped on the 4th down play later in the game)
Run: Moss, 11 Yards
Run: Moss, 4 Yards (Moss injured on the play)
Pass: Fotheringham, 5 Yards
Run: Shyne, 5 yards
Pass: Nacua, 5 Yards
Pass: Boyd, Dropped
Pass: Scramble by Huntley, 28 Yards
Run: Moss (option pitch), 7 yards
Run: Moss (Left side), 4 Yards, TD.

Drive Summary: 12 Plays, 85 Yards, Moss 4 Yard TD Run

Run: 7
Pass: 4
Scramble/Broken play: 1

6 of Moss' 13 carries came on this drive, but only one went for more than 10 yards.
Huntley was 3 of 4 with the lone incomplete pass being a drop.

My three takeaways here:

1. Offense needs to be balanced. 7 rushes and 5 passes with one being a scramble by Huntley I think would qualify. I suspect that if I charted the rest of the game (which I probably will do), you'd see a lot of imbalance in the offensive drives.
2. We don't need to be designing runs for Huntley, we've got plenty of guys to run the ball, but he should have the green light to run when he's got green grass in front of him.
3. That nearly half of Moss' carries came on this drive shows the exact problem the offense has that caused us to lose this game...or at least one of the problems.

Sullyute
09-18-2018, 10:45 PM
Great analysis. Thank you.

Scorcho
09-19-2018, 08:50 AM
per twitter/radio sounds like there is a little shakeup in Utah's coaching staff offensively. Harding to be more involved in play calling.

wasn't Taylor's contract a 2 year deal .... hmmm

https://twitter.com/UteBeliever/status/1042403587316342785

Applejack
09-19-2018, 09:26 AM
per twitter/radio sounds like there is a little shakeup in Utah's coaching staff offensively. Harding to be more involved in play calling.

wasn't Taylor's contract a 2 year deal .... hmmm

https://twitter.com/UteBeliever/status/1042403587316342785

Here we go again!!!!!!!

UTEopia
09-19-2018, 09:36 AM
Awesome analysis DrumNFeather.

concerned
09-19-2018, 09:55 AM
the other thing that Drum's analysis shows: Huntley's longest pass completion was five yards. Other teams know he cant/wont throw down the field and are teeing off on the short passing routes, esp. to Covey.

Diehard Ute
09-19-2018, 10:15 AM
the other thing that Drum's analysis shows: Huntley's longest pass completion was five yards. Other teams know he cant/wont throw down the field and are teeing off on the short passing routes, esp. to Covey.

Which was Tony Jones first point, he believes Huntley is limiting Taylor’s play calling, not the other way around.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-19-2018, 11:34 AM
So, ESPNU has a replay of the game on, so I decided to chart the lone scoring drive that the Utes had, and here are the results:

Started on our own 20:

Run: Moss, 4 Yards
Run: Moss, 5 Yards
Pass: Haller, 4 Yards (Same one that was dropped on the 4th down play later in the game)
Run: Moss, 11 Yards
Run: Moss, 4 Yards (Moss injured on the play)
Pass: Fotheringham, 5 Yards
Run: Shyne, 5 yards
Pass: Nacua, 5 Yards
Pass: Boyd, Dropped
Pass: Scramble by Huntley, 28 Yards
Run: Moss (option pitch), 7 yards
Run: Moss (Left side), 4 Yards, TD.

Drive Summary: 12 Plays, 85 Yards, Moss 4 Yard TD Run

Run: 7
Pass: 4
Scramble/Broken play: 1

6 of Moss' 13 carries came on this drive, but only one went for more than 10 yards.
Huntley was 3 of 4 with the lone incomplete pass being a drop.

My three takeaways here:

1. Offense needs to be balanced. 7 rushes and 5 passes with one being a scramble by Huntley I think would qualify. I suspect that if I charted the rest of the game (which I probably will do), you'd see a lot of imbalance in the offensive drives.
2. We don't need to be designing runs for Huntley, we've got plenty of guys to run the ball, but he should have the green light to run when he's got green grass in front of him.
3. That nearly half of Moss' carries came on this drive shows the exact problem the offense has that caused us to lose this game...or at least one of the problems.

Very interesting. It seemed like after the injury, Moss would only get one carry per possession, all of which seemed to be for positive yards. Hopefully he heals quickly.

U-Ute
09-19-2018, 11:47 AM
Some great breakdowns by Hans.

UTEopia
09-19-2018, 01:17 PM
Drum's analysis also shows that Taylor knows how to call run plays. Taylor just chooses not to do it. I have not done the analysis, but my recollection is that the sole U TD against No. Ill. had a lot of Moss.

If the twitter rumors of Harding becoming more involved in play calling are true, my opinion is that it might be a positive for the short term, but it will be a negative for the long-term. It is simply back to the future. Many, including Whit, were not happy with that.

Scorcho
09-19-2018, 01:26 PM
Drum's analysis also shows that Taylor knows how to call run plays. Taylor just chooses not to do it. I have not done the analysis, but my recollection is that the sole U TD against No. Ill. had a lot of Moss.

If the twitter rumors of Harding becoming more involved in play calling are true, my opinion is that it might be a positive for the short term, but it will be a negative for the long-term. It is simply back to the future. Many, including Whit, were not happy with that.

it sounds like Whitt told PK that he wants the run vs. pass attempts that we watched against UW flip-flopped, which is why Harding is getting more involved in play calling.

UTEopia
09-19-2018, 02:20 PM
it sounds like Whitt told PK that he wants the run vs. pass attempts that we watched against UW flip-flopped, which is why Harding is getting more involved in play calling.

I'm sure he wants the run vs pass attempts to be reversed. I do too. I think doing so will help the team. I don't think having Harding more involved is a positive step forward. This has nothing to do with Harding and more to do with allowing an OC to do his job. If Whit wants a different run/pass ratio, tell Taylor to do it and make him accountable to you for doing it. Don't put it on Harding.

Sullyute
09-19-2018, 03:05 PM
If Whit wants a different run/pass ratio, tell Taylor to do it and make him accountable to you for doing it. Don't put it on Harding.

I agree 100%. This just seems to undermine Taylor.

DrumNFeather
09-19-2018, 04:18 PM
I'm sure he wants the run vs pass attempts to be reversed. I do too. I think doing so will help the team. I don't think having Harding more involved is a positive step forward. This has nothing to do with Harding and more to do with allowing an OC to do his job. If Whit wants a different run/pass ratio, tell Taylor to do it and make him accountable to you for doing it. Don't put it on Harding.

Is it possible that he's just playing to strengths here? I admit that is a very rose colored view of this whole thing...but he spoke pretty openly about personnel groupings, etc...which makes me wonder if Taylor is just way too focused on trying to jumpstart the throw game, that it hampers the run game because Moss isn't on the field, etc...

UTEopia
09-19-2018, 04:35 PM
Is it possible that he's just playing to strengths here? I admit that is a very rose colored view of this whole thing...but he spoke pretty openly about personnel groupings, etc...which makes me wonder if Taylor is just way too focused on trying to jumpstart the throw game, that it hampers the run game because Moss isn't on the field, etc...

If true, Taylor is not qualified to be OC.

DrumNFeather
09-19-2018, 04:37 PM
If true, Taylor is not qualified to be OC.

Alright alright alright, fine...I'll stick to charting the offensive drives. :)

LA Ute
09-20-2018, 09:01 AM

We all need to remember what we’ve been told dozens of times: Whitt just does not get involved in the offense. 😉

SoCalPat
09-20-2018, 10:20 PM
We all need to remember what we’ve been told dozens of times: Whitt just does not get involved in the offense. 

I don't care how this all plays out so long as we move the ball, score points and win games. I have nothing vested in Taylor succeeding (I thought it was an out-of-the-box hire in some respects, which I applauded, but never considered Taylor a can't-fail/savior of the offense). But if what's being said is true, I think Kyle's lost permission to hire his next OC. He keeps trying to use guys he can influence, rather than going with proven minds. Our best offensive coaches have been Erickson, Chow and Christensen. All wildly successful before coming to Utah. Kyle needs to hire another coach with that kind of background.

snafu
09-21-2018, 09:37 AM
I don't care how this all plays out so long as we move the ball, score points and win games. I have nothing vested in Taylor succeeding (I thought it was an out-of-the-box hire in some respects, which I applauded, but never considered Taylor a can't-fail/savior of the offense). But if what's being said is true, I think Kyle's lost permission to hire his next OC. He keeps trying to use guys he can influence, rather than going with proven minds. Our best offensive coaches have been Erickson, Chow and Christensen. All wildly successful before coming to Utah. Kyle needs to hire another coach with that kind of background.

Socal,
If it doesn't work with Taylor, it almost feels like Kyle will have to go get a proven mind. Where's Mike McCoy these days? Kidding, mostly.

SoCalPat
09-21-2018, 09:54 AM
Socal,
If it doesn't work with Taylor, it almost feels like Kyle will have to go get a proven mind. Where's Mike McCoy these days? Kidding, mostly.

McCoy is Arizona's OC. It's worth noting that the Cardinals' offense makes ours look like the Patriots -- six points in two games and haven't reached the end zone.

Applejack
09-21-2018, 01:27 PM
Bring back BJ!!

LA Ute
09-21-2018, 01:42 PM
Bring back BJ!!

Maybe Dave Christensen has taken some anger management classes.

SoCalPat
09-22-2018, 08:46 PM
Maybe Dave Christensen has taken some anger management classes.

It should be noted Travis' best year statistically was 2014, the year DC was here. And that was in spite of losing Dres Anderson at midseason.

LA Ute
09-23-2018, 05:14 AM
It should be noted Travis' best year statistically was 2014, the year DC was here. And that was in spite of losing Dres Anderson at midseason.

DC’s personality issues aside, I’ll always remember the final drive he called in the USC game that fall. It was a thing of beauty.

Applejack
09-23-2018, 07:36 AM
Memories are funny things. The only thing I remember about the dave Christensen year is lots of futility against defenses that weren't known for stopping folks.

LA Ute
09-23-2018, 07:49 AM
Memories are funny things. The only thing I remember about the dave Christensen year is lots of futility against defenses that weren't known for stopping folks.

Yes, but for that one brief shining moment he was perfect.