PDA

View Full Version : Cardinal Sin... Utah at the Stanford "Indians"

Mormon Red Death
10-01-2018, 10:38 AM
Game is on ESPN at 10:30 EST

No line for the game yet as Bryce Love is Questionable.

LA Ute
10-01-2018, 10:41 AM
My expectations are low. That way I can only be pleasantly surprised.

concerned
10-01-2018, 11:01 AM

Don't sell yourself short. If Utah plays great and leads for most of the game, and screws up at the end, you will not be pleasantly surprised and you will not be indifferent.

sancho
10-01-2018, 11:43 AM
No line for the game yet as Bryce Love is Questionable.

I'd rather have Arcega-Whiteside questionable. That guy is amazing.

LA Ute
10-01-2018, 12:14 PM
Don't sell yourself short. If Utah plays great and leads for most of the game, and screws up at the end, you will not be pleasantly surprised and you will not be indifferent.

Depends. If I remain in curmudgeon mode even when things are looking bright, I still will not be surprised when things fall apart. Then again, that's not a very fun way to watch a game, so I probably won't do that and you're probably right.

sancho
10-02-2018, 01:59 PM

U-Ute
10-04-2018, 09:53 AM

I was nervous about the WSU game. I'm less so about Stanford. They play into our strengths.

sancho
10-04-2018, 10:14 AM
They play into our strengths.

This is true, but they play into our strengths really well and with a ton of talent.

LA Ute
10-04-2018, 10:49 AM
I was nervous about the WSU game. I'm less so about Stanford. They play into our strengths.

I go into every game no knowing what to expect.

PTSD symptoms are divided into four separate clusters, including:

Re-experiencing. Re-experiencing, or reliving, the traumatic event includes these symptoms: ...
Avoidance. Actively avoiding people, places, or situations that remind you of the traumatic event includes these symptoms: ...
Hyperarousal. ...
Negative thoughts and beliefs.

Sounds like Ute Fan PTSD, except for the hyperarousal part.

Irving Washington
10-04-2018, 05:44 PM
I go into every game no knowing what to expect.

Sounds like Ute Fan PTSD, except for the hyperarousal part.
I don't know. I've seen some hyperarousal on subjects other than Ute football lately. Does that count?

LA Ute
10-04-2018, 06:07 PM
I don't know. I've seen some hyperarousal on subjects other than Ute football lately. Does that count?

Carrying the flag of truth, justice and the American way among a mob of liberal Philistines is not hyperarousal, it's heroism.

Sullyute
10-04-2018, 06:18 PM
Carrying the flag of truth, justice and the American way among a mob of liberal Philistines is not hyperarousal, it's heroism.

That got a literal LOL from me!

Irving Washington
10-04-2018, 06:28 PM
That got a literal LOL from me!
A chuckle and a smile.

DrumNFeather
10-06-2018, 07:03 PM
Bryce Love will not play.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Sullyute
10-06-2018, 07:44 PM
Bryce Love will not play.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

That is great for us.

Diehard Ute
10-06-2018, 08:13 PM
Lo Falemaka will not play.

Umama at center, Ford at left guard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrisrenrut
10-06-2018, 08:41 PM
Lo Falemaka will not play.

Umama at center, Ford at left guard.

Ugh, when Lo went down last game, our running game was less effective. Hopefully the replacements got some good practice this week.

sancho
10-06-2018, 08:47 PM
Not even Fumblin' Joe fumbled as much as Covey. Every time he touches the ball, I feel like it's 50/50 that he fumbles.

Sullyute
10-06-2018, 09:19 PM
That was awesome. No one is catching him in the 100 meters.

chrisrenrut
10-06-2018, 09:19 PM
Defensive score!

sancho
10-06-2018, 09:21 PM
All 22 players on the field, all 1,000 Utah fans in attendance, all the Utah fans watching at home, both of Stanford's fans, and the tree knew that play was a fade to Arcega-Whiteside.

LA Ute
10-06-2018, 09:21 PM
Not even Fumblin' Joe fumbled as much as Covey. Every time he touches the ball, I feel like it's 50/50 that he fumbles.

Take that back!

sancho
10-06-2018, 09:23 PM
Take that back!

I love him, just like I always loved fumblin' Joe.

Sullyute
10-06-2018, 09:49 PM
I really liked seeing that Stanford player check on our receiver after the pseudo targeting call.

LA Ute
10-06-2018, 09:57 PM
Wow! Execution on that FG drive! Excellent execution!

sancho
10-06-2018, 09:57 PM
I really liked seeing that Stanford player check on our receiver after the pseudo targeting call.

Yeah me too, but I liked us turning 25 seconds into a field goal even more. Did not see that coming.

LA Ute
10-06-2018, 09:58 PM
I love him, just like I always loved fumblin' Joe.

But it wasn’t a fumble. That’s all I’m tweaking you about.

LA Ute
10-06-2018, 10:01 PM
Yeah me too, but I liked us turning 25 seconds into a field goal even more. Did not see that coming.

It’s great to see them do it. It was important for the team to see that they can.

chrisrenrut
10-06-2018, 10:03 PM

I couldn’t figure out why we called two really Ning plays, but then called time outs after each. Ni didn’t expect us to do that. Thankfully, the PI call helped us out.

chrisrenrut
10-06-2018, 10:18 PM
Covey taking ball security very seriously. Going down early, or covering with both arms as he’s being tackled.

Mormon Red Death
10-06-2018, 10:21 PM
#allgayallday

chrisrenrut
10-06-2018, 10:42 PM
Momentum has shifted. We need to find a way to get it back.

LA Ute
10-06-2018, 10:58 PM
The red zone monster has come back.

Mormon Red Death
10-06-2018, 11:10 PM
Momentum has shifted. We need to find a way to get it back.There you go!

chrisrenrut
10-06-2018, 11:10 PM
As many things that went wrong in the WSU game, they seem to be going right tonight.

chrisrenrut
10-06-2018, 11:20 PM
Our offensive line has been great tonight.

LA Ute
10-06-2018, 11:29 PM
There’s hope for this season yet! This was a great game.

sancho
10-06-2018, 11:33 PM
8 ypc for Moss is fantastic. 17/21 for Huntley? Love it.

Beating Stanford always feels good. An 0-3 start would have been unbearable.

LA Ute
10-07-2018, 12:09 AM
To me it seems most important that the team learned that they can win, they can hold off a ranked team —on the road — that’s coming back on them, and they can execute well in those situations. It looked like Huntley was comfortable tonight too.

sancho
10-07-2018, 08:13 AM
Those things that went against us vs UW and WSU - turnovers, big plays, and bad calls - went our way last night. Also, no drops.

Applejack
10-07-2018, 12:05 PM
I was fast asleep during the game, but WHAT A RESULT!!!!! Beating a top 15 team on the road by 20 points is not bad! Some thoughts after having watched 0:00 of the game:

1. I guess Huntley is still the guy.
2. Z Moss is the real deal. Running like that on Stanford is phenomenal (even if Stanford D-line is down this year).
3. Kyle owns Stanford. They are probably complaining about having to play Utah too much.
4. The Pac North needs to help us out. Arizona beating Cal yesterady is one of those games which doesn't seem to matter much but given Arizona's cushy schedule, they are still in the South race.
5. I hope LA apologized for saying that Kyle never wins big games. That was mean!

sancho
10-07-2018, 01:49 PM
I was fast asleep during the game, but WHAT A RESULT!!!!! Beating a top 15 team on the road by 20 points is not bad! Some thoughts after having watched 0:00 of the game:

It was glorious. Catch the replay on Pac-12 this week sometime. One of those games that makes you think we finally have it figured out. (Don't fall for that, though!).

We haven't had our wtf loss yet this year. I think UCLA in LA could be that team.

I'm glad RichRod is gone. That guy had us figured out.

Solon
10-07-2018, 05:42 PM
It was glorious. Catch the replay on Pac-12 this week sometime. One of those games that makes you think we finally have it figured out. (Don't fall for that, though!).

We haven't had our wtf loss yet this year. I think UCLA in LA could be that team.

I'm glad RichRod is gone. That guy had us figured out.

I was in the stands and pleasantly surprised by the turnout of Ute fans. The stadium was mostly empty.

Some things the Utes did well last night:
- kick FGs
- defend the run
- Convert 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1.
- score just before halftime.
- run the ball
- tackle

Huntley played well overall, but he's still not really a threat to throw. The long TD to Nacua was the first passing TD this season against a team not called Weber State.

LA Ute
10-07-2018, 08:03 PM

1. I guess Huntley is still the guy.
2. Z Moss is the real deal. Running like that on Stanford is phenomenal (even if Stanford D-line is down this year).
3. Kyle owns Stanford. They are probably complaining about having to play Utah too much.
4. The Pac North needs to help us out. Arizona beating Cal yesterady is one of those games which doesn't seem to matter much but given Arizona's cushy schedule, they are still in the South race.
5. I hope LA apologized for saying that Kyle never wins big games. That was mean!

I think this was a terrific win and I give Kyle and his staff the credit!

SeattleUte
10-07-2018, 08:47 PM
It’s scary how in this conference even a 19-point victory like this is a close shave. This game was decided by two improbable plays—the 100 yard pic six and the desperation 59 yard TD pass from a scrambling blitz-evading T. Huntley who can’t throw deep.

Utebiquitous
10-07-2018, 10:34 PM
I would add one more play Seattle. I think Maxs Tupai's sack that preceded the drive that included the Huntley touchdown pass was enormous. Stanford had been moving the ball up and down the field for two quarters and the defense finally got a stop.

Brian
10-08-2018, 06:30 AM
Question to the X and O folks.
What changes (if any) did TT make for the Stanford game?
Or did it just start to click for everyone?
Are the formations, personell packages a lot different?

It seems the OLine was much improved. Scheme? Time together?
The pass/run mix seemed about right.

And SU makes a good point. Those 2 plays played a huge role in a slug fest becoming a 20 point win.

LA Ute
10-08-2018, 06:36 AM
I would add one more play Seattle. I think Maxs Tupai's sack that preceded the drive that included the Huntley touchdown pass was enormous. Stanford had been moving the ball up and down the field for two quarters and the defense finally got a stop.

Agreed. I give the players lots of credit for making the plays you and Seattle list. It is impressive how much difference that makes. I think the coaching staff had the players ready this time. The killer instinct was alive in the players and the coaches all 60 minutes of the game. Onward!

Applejack
10-08-2018, 06:45 AM
It’s scary how in this conference even a 19-point victory like this is a close shave. This game was decided by two improbable plays—the 100 yard pic six and the desperation 59 yard TD pass from a scrambling blitz-evading T. Huntley who can’t throw deep.

Yeah, that's why most games in the Pac (that don't feature Oregon State or Washington) are tossups. Washington State is a W if not for that 86 yard pass play: if we just don't whiff on tackling the guy or it is not a perfect pass, we are 2-1 and in the birddog's seat in the South!

Mormon Red Death
10-08-2018, 06:46 AM
Question to the X and O folks.
What changes (if any) did TT make for the Stanford game?
Or did it just start to click for everyone?
Are the formations, personell packages a lot different?

It seems the OLine was much improved. Scheme? Time together?
The pass/run mix seemed about right.

And SU makes a good point. Those 2 plays played a huge role in a slug fest becoming a 20 point win.We ran the ball more on 1st and second down

U-Ute
10-08-2018, 09:40 AM
I felt like the offense was more unpredictable.

For example, on the 4th and 1 where Moss got through for the TD, I figured we were going to run the whole "TE fake blocks and runs into the flat". We ran some similar action in that we motioned the slot across the formation to Huntley's right, so I was looking for it to go there. I think Stanford was too as a bunch of guys shifted to their left. Then Moss busts through and there is nobody in the backfield.

It just seemed like it the offense was more balanced and unpredictable overall.

Diehard Ute
10-08-2018, 09:47 AM
I felt like the offense was more unpredictable.

For example, on the 4th and 1 where Moss got through for the TD, I figured we were going to run the whole "TE fake blocks and runs into the flat". We ran some similar action in that we motioned the slot across the formation to Huntley's right, so I was looking for it to go there. I think Stanford was too as a bunch of guys shifted to their left. Then Moss busts through and there is nobody in the backfield.

It just seemed like it the offense was more balanced and unpredictable overall.

Gunther broke that play down today

Great blocking by the left side of the line. They got to the linebackers. Moss hit the hole fast and hard and was through before Stanford knew he was there.

Applejack
10-09-2018, 08:37 AM
Watching the first half on Pac-12 network:

- Our pass defense is a little bit (maybe a lot) shaky. It seems that they can get a 15 yard pass whenever they want. There big TE/receivers are a load for us to handle. JJ getting lost on a few of the deep moves.
- Our run D, on the other hand, is money.
- The O lien has gotten SOOO much better since No. Illinois/Weber.

Applejack
10-09-2018, 08:43 AM
- Covey is our only wideout who can get a first when we need it. He's covering every catch with a double arm bar; the coaches talked to him about his fumbles.
- I'm kind of impressed with this freshman tide end (Kluthe). I didn't pay attention when we signed him but he's good.
- I love Chase Hansen and Cody Barton (yes, I was wrong about him).
- Props to Kyle for getting the fg just before the half. I would have just held the ball.
- Lots of defensive holdings calls.
- Are we the most penalized team for ineligible receiver downfield? Some of these calls I have no idea how the O-lineman has time to get too far downfield.
- Was Oregon State's coach an accountant in his previous career?

sancho
10-09-2018, 08:45 AM
Watching the first half on Pac-12 network:

- Our pass defense is a little bit (maybe a lot) shaky. It seems that they can get a 15 yard pass whenever they want. There big TE/receivers are a load for us to handle. JJ getting lost on a few of the deep moves.

Oh, wait until you watch the 2nd half.

Two weeks in a row our secondary has been completely shredded. Both were unique opponents, though. WSU with their air raid - passing is all they do. Stanford with their 6'6" WRs/TEs. They get a PI/holding on pretty much every series in the 2nd half.

If Arizona also gets 350+ passing yards, it's time to panic.

Applejack
10-09-2018, 08:48 AM
Second half:

- The pass defense: :(. I think they are picking on Guidry (it's hard to tell; I'm watching football in 60). But JJ has his share of misreads. Blackmon has been pretty good so far (but he gets burned on one of the touchdowns in the future). Ballard is pretty good; a couple of BS pass interferences. (Our guys need to sell the no PI better; we're always looking around to see if the ref has thrown a flag. That will (and has multiple times in the game) lead to refs throwing a flag).
- Man, they are passing at will. It's like we are playing Washington State.
- I hate seeing Porter Gustin talking about how USC has a green campus. Look, if you had wanted a beautiful, natural campus you would not have gone to a school in south central.

sancho
10-09-2018, 08:50 AM
- Props to Kyle for getting the fg just before the half. I would have just held the ball.

I keep thinking about this. If you're going to be aggressive with 24 seconds to go, why hand it off on 1st down? Or, maybe you hand it off on 1st down just to see if you break something. But you don't break anything big. Who then calls a time out and runs it again? Just a crazy series.

- Are we the most penalized team for ineligible receiver downfield? Some of these calls I have no idea how the O-lineman has time to get too far downfield.

I've seen this penalty 100 times in my life, and, so far, the penalty has never - not once - had any effect on the play itself. This is one of the dumbest rules in football. I get the intent, but the rule should change.

Applejack
10-09-2018, 08:52 AM
On the drive where we kick a field goal to go up 30-21, how did we get down the field? Big kickoff? The football in 60 broadcast cut out all the good plays and we just started at their 30.

Applejack
10-09-2018, 08:56 AM
Geez, how many TEs/big receivers can one team have? I've never heard of some of these guys.

Applejack
10-09-2018, 08:57 AM
Great O-line play in this game, especially on our left side.

Applejack
10-09-2018, 08:58 AM
Tuttle with great hair on the sidelines.

Applejack
10-09-2018, 09:00 AM
Bryce Love is wondering if he is worth three scores.

sancho
10-09-2018, 09:01 AM
On the drive where we kick a field goal to go up 30-21, how did we get down the field? Big kickoff? The football in 60 broadcast cut out all the good plays and we just started at their 30.

You missed the great segment where they showed a Stanford player in the classroom. Play-by-play guy is all "What is this black magic? I can't understand any of this. You Stanford players are all geniuses!" The class was calculus - the same class most of us took as juniors in high school.

Anyway:

1st & 10 at UTAH 25
(1:30 - 3rd) Zack Moss run for 4 yds to the Utah 29

2nd & 6 at UTAH 29
(1:00 - 3rd) Tyler Huntley pass complete to Samson Nacua for 13 yds to the Utah 42 for a 1ST down

1st & 10 at UTAH 42
(0:43 - 3rd) Zack Moss run for 21 yds to the Stanf 37 for a 1ST down

1st & 10 at STAN 37
(0:00 - 3rd) Zack Moss run for 5 yds to the Stanf 32

[*=center]End of 3rd Quarter

2nd & 5 at STAN 32
(15:00 - 4th) Armand Shyne run for 8 yds to the Stanf 24 for a 1ST down

1st & 10 at STAN 24
(14:30 - 4th) Tyler Huntley pass complete to Britain Covey for 8 yds to the Stanf 16

2nd & 2 at STAN 16
(13:30 - 4th) Zack Moss run for a loss of 1 yard to the Stanf 17

3rd & 3 at STAN 17
(13:00 - 4th) Tyler Huntley pass complete to Brant Kuithe for 1 yd to the Stanf 16

4th & 2 at STAN 16
(12:33 - 4th) Matt Gay 34 yd FG GOOD

Applejack
10-09-2018, 09:03 AM
Great win! I loved every second of it. I love that we absolutely OWN stanford. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch.

That was not the shellacking that the final score indicates, however. The big plays of the game (JJ's 100 yard interception return and Huntley's desperation heave to Nacua) both went our way; those don't happen every game and sometimes they work against us. Our D left a lot to be desired, especially considering that Love was out. Arizona is the worst team left on our schedule (I'd say the Cougars but they have scoreboard on Arizona). I hope next week is a cakewalk.

Applejack
10-09-2018, 09:06 AM
You missed the great segment where they showed a Stanford player in the classroom. Play-by-play guy is all "What is this black magic? I can't understand any of this. You Stanford players are all geniuses!" The class was calculus - the same class most of us took as juniors in high school.

That's pretty funny. It was fun to see N'keal Harry talk about all the recycling bins they have at the stadium. I have been to ASU's stadium; recycling bins are the least of their worries.

Scratch
10-09-2018, 09:28 AM
A couple of things I noticed that weren't really important but I still feel the need to mention for no good reason.

After the targeting call against Stanford (which was reversed), the Stanford defender went over to Mariner on the Ute sideline and (apparently) apologized and checked on him to see if he was OK. Really a class act.

On the pass to Nacua, it was ridiculous that there wasn't a flag for roughing Huntley. The defender was on the ground, was getting up, Huntley threw the pass, and then the defender accelerated, took a few steps, and hit Huntley. It wasn't a terribly hard hit and didn't make a difference at all, but it was blatant and should have been flagged.

Diehard Ute
10-09-2018, 09:32 AM
A couple of things I noticed that weren't really important but I still feel the need to mention for no good reason.

After the targeting call against Stanford (which was reversed), the Stanford defender went over to Mariner on the Ute sideline and (apparently) apologized and checked on him to see if he was OK. Really a class act.

On the pass to Nacua, it was ridiculous that there wasn't a flag for roughing Huntley. The defender was on the ground, was getting up, Huntley threw the pass, and then the defender accelerated, took a few steps, and hit Huntley. It wasn't a terribly hard hit and didn't make a difference at all, but it was blatant and should have been flagged.

And he hit him in the back.

Every time I hear Scott babble about the Pac-12’a commitment to player safety and concussion research I laugh. This season has already had multiple missed calls and reviews to say they don’t care at all.

concerned
10-09-2018, 09:39 AM
And he hit him in the back.

And knocked him to the ground. it was just a revenge hit well after the play was over at that end of the field.

Applejack
10-09-2018, 09:44 AM

That was Gabe Reid. Give the guy a break; he obviously regrets going to a school that is a chew toy for his hometown Utes.

LA Ute
10-09-2018, 10:38 AM
That was not the shellacking that the final score indicates, however. The big plays of the game (JJ's 100 yard interception return and Huntley's desperation heave to Nacua) both went our way; those don't happen every game and sometimes they work against us. Our D left a lot to be desired, especially considering that Love was out. Arizona is the worst team left on our schedule (I'd say the Cougars but they have scoreboard on Arizona). I hope next week is a cakewalk.

I loved the Utes' aggressiveness on both sides of the ball. I also think you're right about the game being closer than it looked. Still, I can't quite bring myself to say we were lucky (and I don't think you're saying that either). In the words of my old high school coach (who was smart enough to keep me on the 3rd string), Utah "took the game to" Stanford. The aggressiveness KW showed with the FG at the end of the first half is an example. The way we stuffed the run is another. So I'm telling myself that both the pick-6 and the long heave by Huntley were mainly guys aggressively making plays, with a little good luck thrown in.

Rocker Ute
10-10-2018, 12:16 PM
The end of half FG is the perfect illustration of the fine line between absolute genius and complete idiocy. If a turnover happens there that could easily turn into a score, we want Whit's head on a pike. (This could also be said for Huntley's bomb to Nacua.)

When I saw Whit do that though I thought, "Well at least he learned something from his mistake with Chris Peterson."

Also the comment above about the running in that situation, I think you have to do that to avoid the idiocy scenario described above. Run some safe plays, if you break it off, great... if not, no worse off. If your opponent is going to give it to you, take it, but don't take big risks.

Good stuff, I hope things like that continue to break our way.

U-Ute
10-26-2018, 09:08 AM
I missed this Max Browne breakdown of the Stanford game.

Other than the fact I feel like he's yelling at me, I like his insights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtRkYseBsu4