PDA

View Full Version : Reign in the desert: Utah at Arizona State

U-Ute
10-27-2018, 07:26 PM
ASU and Wazzu always seem to play well against us. I am not confident about this one.

Especially when ASU is doing things like this:

Talk me off the ledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mormon Red Death
10-27-2018, 07:50 PM
ASU and Wazzu always seem to play well against us. I am not confident about this one.

Especially when ASU is doing things like this:

Talk me off the ledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkhttps://goo.gl/images/G3RvT7
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181028/3fe9e2dee518e96951ce25cf682f67fa.jpg

Applejack
10-27-2018, 08:00 PM
https://goo.gl/images/G3RvT7
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181028/3fe9e2dee518e96951ce25cf682f67fa.jpg

Lol!!!

Mormon Red Death
10-27-2018, 08:01 PM
Lol!!!I was talking him off the ledge

Applejack
10-28-2018, 06:16 AM
I was talking him off the ledge

He should be off the ledge now!

Applejack
10-29-2018, 07:16 AM
Despite MRD's helpful visual, the game this week petrifies me. ASU has an experienced QB that can run a bit, a stud RB in Benjamin (who should be a Ute!), and a 6 star wideout in K'neal. That is a pretty solid bunch and they will challenge our D.

I think a lot of people are looking past this game to Oregon, probably because ASU's record is not that great. But consider that they beat Michigan State (currently ranked) and USC on the road (only really, really good teams do that). Their losses have all been respectable: @ Colorado by 7; Stanford by 7; @ Washington by 7; @ SDSU by 7. I think our only chance in this game is to win by 7. Throw those in with an absolute mauling of the Beavers and UTSA, and I think we're playing one of the most complete teams we've seen this year.

U-Ute
10-29-2018, 08:07 AM
Despite MRD's helpful visual, the game this week petrifies me. ASU has an experienced QB that can run a bit, a stud RB in Benjamin (who should be a Ute!), and a 6 star wideout in K'neal. That is a pretty solid bunch and they will challenge our D.

I think a lot of people are looking past this game to Oregon, probably because ASU's record is not that great. But consider that they beat Michigan State (currently ranked) and USC on the road (only really, really good teams do that). Their losses have all been respectable: @ Colorado by 7; Stanford by 7; @ Washington by 7; @ SDSU by 7. I think our only chance in this game is to win by 7. Throw those in with an absolute mauling of the Beavers and UTSA, and I think we're playing one of the most complete teams we've seen this year.

oxLpLI0eNf3Wg

LA Ute
10-29-2018, 08:39 AM

You've hit on two things that worry me too: (1) We have had trouble, as Kyle has acknowledged, with opposing QBs escaping our pass rush and running for extra yards. often first downs. (2) Opposing QBs have been able to pick our D apart with 10-20 yard passes. So far that has not really hurt us. We'll have to do better at those weaknesses in this game. If it's close, those things really matter.

Rocker Ute
10-29-2018, 08:41 AM
You've all convinced me to temper my expectations on this game. Utah 41-2

U-Ute
10-29-2018, 08:53 AM
You've all convinced me to temper my expectations on this game. Utah 41-2

If this is the case, we should do something the Steelers forgot to do and work on our free kick fielding techniques.

SoCalPat
10-29-2018, 09:24 AM
Some of you worry way too damn much ... Only Utah beats Utah in this game. It sure the heck isn't going to be Arizona State that beats us. Too many things would have to go against season-long trends for us to lose.

ASU has broken 21 points in only three games this year. They are 69th in scoring offense. By comparison, Arizona is 65th, and has been without its starting QB for several games. ASU may have some potent weapons -- but getting into the end zone isn't a strength for the team as a whole.

Those three games ASU did break 21 points in? Average total defense ranking of 87. Shoot, this is a team that's struggled to score against bad defenses, getting only 13 points at home against Stanford, which is (coincidentally enough) 87th nationally in total defense.

Facing Utah's run defense won't surprise ASU. Because even at No. 3 nationally, Utah will be the third toughest run defense ASU has faced. That's right -- they've faced Nos. 1 and 2 in Michigan State and San Diego State. Yes, ASU actually did go 1-1 in those games, and almost went 2-0. But here's the catch: Michigan State is 105th in total offense, SDSU is 112th. Utah actually has an offense this year, and is 46th nationally in total offense.

Utah is favored by 7 per Vegas, should be favored by 8.5 per Sagarin, and is probably the Pac-12's biggest road over-performer since the league expanded to 12 teams. I laid the points against UCLA and I'll lay them again vs. ASU. The extra day of rest and prep should help as well. I shouldn't even have to sweat a back-door cover in this one -- Utes by 17.

concerned
10-29-2018, 09:40 AM
Some of you worry way too damn much ... Only Utah beats Utah in this game. It sure the heck isn't going to be Arizona State that beats us. Too many things would have to go against season-long trends for us to lose.

ASU has broken 21 points in only three games this year. They are 69th in scoring offense. By comparison, Arizona is 65th, and has been without its starting QB for several games. ASU may have some potent weapons -- but getting into the end zone isn't a strength for the team as a whole.

Those three games ASU did break 21 points in? Average total defense ranking of 87. Shoot, this is a team that's struggled to score against bad defenses, getting only 13 points at home against Stanford, which is (coincidentally enough) 87th nationally in total defense.

Facing Utah's run defense won't surprise ASU. Because even at No. 3 nationally, Utah will be the third toughest run defense ASU has faced. That's right -- they've faced Nos. 1 and 2 in Michigan State and San Diego State. Yes, ASU actually did go 1-1 in those games, and almost went 2-0. But here's the catch: Michigan State is 105th in total offense, SDSU is 112th. Utah actually has an offense this year, and is 46th nationally in total offense.

Utah is favored by 7 per Vegas, should be favored by 8.5 per Sagarin, and is probably the Pac-12's biggest road over-performer since the league expanded to 12 teams. I laid the points against UCLA and I'll lay them again vs. ASU. The extra day of rest and prep should help as well. I shouldn't even have to sweat a back-door cover in this one -- Utes by 17.

What is their defense ranked--total, against the pass and run? They gave up a ton of points to Jack Sears once he felt comfortable.

sancho
10-29-2018, 10:05 AM
What is their defense ranked--total, against the pass and run?

Any defense that stops our run game has a chance to beat us. It all starts on the ground for us.

SoCalPat
10-29-2018, 03:05 PM
What is their defense ranked--total, against the pass and run? They gave up a ton of points to Jack Sears once he felt comfortable.

65th against the run, 72nd against the pass, 52nd in yards per play, but 40th in scoring defense. But they're 7th in TFL and 35th in sacks, so that accounts for the discrepancy in total defense and scoring defense.

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-01-2018, 10:31 AM
An optimistic breakdown of the numbers from Dave Bartoo.

Sullyute
11-01-2018, 03:41 PM
If I heard him right our opponents over the last four weeks have been averaging offenses ranked 100+ out of the total D1 teams? So our defense is good but we have also been going against some pretty poor offensive scoring teams.

U-Ute
11-02-2018, 08:25 AM
If I heard him right our opponents over the last four weeks have been averaging offenses ranked 100+ out of the total D1 teams? So our defense is good but we have also been going against some pretty poor offensive scoring teams.

Chicken and egg..

Did we dominate them because they suck, or did they suck because we dominated them?

LA Ute
11-03-2018, 03:04 PM
I’m just hoping ASU’s talent doesn’t gel.

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-03-2018, 04:02 PM
I’m just hoping ASU’s talent doesn’t gel.

Looking pretty gelled. Utah’s offense looking a little 2017 lately.

LA Ute
11-03-2018, 04:03 PM
Looks like ASU is going to stack the box and force Huntley to beat them with his arm. Let’s see what happens.

chrisrenrut
11-03-2018, 04:20 PM
Looks like ASU is going to stack the box and force Huntley to beat them with his arm. Let’s see what happens.

No longer up to Huntley’s arm.

chrisrenrut
11-03-2018, 04:22 PM
We are one turned ankle or sore shoulder away from having Drew Lisk as our QB.

mUUser
11-03-2018, 04:29 PM
Cornerbacks are being abused today.

sancho
11-03-2018, 04:36 PM
We are one turned ankle or sore shoulder away from having Drew Lisk as our QB.

If he were on the team, Tuttle would be in at QB on the next drive.

Diehard Ute
11-03-2018, 04:38 PM
Pac-12 commentators are awful

AnestheUte
11-03-2018, 04:48 PM
Pac-12 commentators are awful

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkYeah, they've been unabashedly rooting for ASU since the first play. It just adds to my frustration watching this game. I hate playing ASU without all the crap that's happened this game.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Scorcho
11-03-2018, 04:52 PM
Yeah, they've been unabashedly rooting for ASU since the first play. It just adds to my frustration watching this game. I hate playing ASU without all the crap that's happened this game.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Broken collar bone for Huntley

Diehard Ute
11-03-2018, 04:53 PM
Broken collar bone for Huntley

That’s going to be hard for the team to survive

Diehard Ute
11-03-2018, 04:55 PM
Covey’s occasional rewards are not worth his constant drops

AnestheUte
11-03-2018, 04:57 PM
Game. Set. Season. Hello, Las Vegas Bowl...

Diehard Ute
11-03-2018, 04:58 PM
These refs don’t even know what foul they’re calling.

sancho
11-03-2018, 05:01 PM
Game. Set. Season. Hello, Las Vegas Bowl...

USU right?

AnestheUte
11-03-2018, 05:04 PM
They'd crush us the way they've played this year. What a super-deflating game. Bad calls all game, Huntley injured, getting totally embarrassed in the 2nd half, seeing yet another year with potential to go the the PAC-12 championship game go down the pipes in November.

I think that I might just vomit.

mUUser
11-03-2018, 05:05 PM
Totally disagree. Would always rather him on the field than on the bench

sancho
11-03-2018, 05:09 PM
Our defense: ASU really pushed us around today. We'd given up passing yards all year, but nobody ran on us.

Our offense: We dodged bullets all year with shaky pass protection, and it really caught up to us today.

AnestheUte
11-03-2018, 05:09 PM

What? Of course I want Huntley on the field. Did you think I wanted him off? Our offense looked like garbage with Shelley at the helm.

mUUser
11-03-2018, 05:11 PM
What? Of course I want Huntley on the field. Did you think I wanted him off? Our offense looked like garbage with Shelley at the helm.

I disagree with Diehards comment about Covey not being worth it.

sancho
11-03-2018, 05:11 PM

I think he was responding to the comment about Covey's fumbles.

LA Ute
11-03-2018, 05:15 PM
Hate to see this level of attention being focused on this.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181103/82bc7bb2038635d20c2de70b8845d083.jpg

sancho
11-03-2018, 05:34 PM
Man, I feel for Huntley. Broken collar bone. He's been so good.

I'm glad Shelley's first start is at home. Ever since mop up time vs Weber, I've wondered why we had Shelley over Tuttle on the depth chart.

Our target for Moss has been 25 carries per game. We only got him 18 today.

U-Ute
11-03-2018, 06:23 PM
Aaarrrrggghh!

Thanks guys. I feel like Charlie Brown. You get my hopes up and even though I know I should trust my gut that things will not end well I go for it anyways.

You guys suck.

Being serious now:

Man I hope Huntley is fine. He looked like he had no idea what his own name was when they took him off.

U-Ute
11-03-2018, 06:26 PM
I saw saw the messages about Huntley’s collar bone. That sucks but I felt all season it was just a matter of time. The thing that makes him such a dangerous player is also what makes it so dangerous to rely on him.

It is too easy to get injured playing the way he does.

Speedy recovery Snoop.

U-Ute
11-03-2018, 06:29 PM
Reports

LA Ute
11-03-2018, 06:37 PM
Forgive my goofy fan question: Jack Tuttle is still enrolled in school. Could we pull a Joe Williams and bring him back?

Diehard Ute
11-03-2018, 06:44 PM

Why? He hasn’t taken one to the house, he rarely gets any yards, but he had 3 turnovers on punts this year.

He’s a liability right now....if it was anyone but covey he’d be on the bench

sancho
11-03-2018, 07:16 PM
Thanks guys. I feel like Charlie Brown. You get my hopes up and even though I know I should trust my gut that things will not end well I go for it anyways.

We all knew 8 in a row wasn't really going to happen, but with each week, we believed in the impossible a little bit more. Really hurts to have the dream burst.

Now, we have no Huntley, and having another awful November looks likely. We ran a wildcat down with Moss. I wonder if we'll see more of that. Maybe Chase Hansen needs to take the backup QB reps this week. If anyone on this team can save November, it's him.

sancho
11-03-2018, 07:18 PM
Why? He hasn’t taken one to the house, he rarely gets any yards, but he had 3 turnovers on punts this year.

He’s a liability right now....if it was anyone but covey he’d be on the bench

He will be like Joe Williams. One day, he will stop fumbling and become a monster. It may not happen this season. Hopefully, there's no retirement/comeback involved.

SoCalPat
11-03-2018, 07:37 PM
Covey’s occasional rewards are not worth his constant drops

It is increasingly difficult to disagree with this.

UTEopia
11-03-2018, 07:41 PM
He will be like Joe Williams. One day, he will stop fumbling and become a monster. It may not happen this season. Hopefully, there's no retirement/comeback involved.

I would not let him back this year, but I did notice he is still listed on roster. A couple guys quit during the year last year and were removed from roster.

on another subject, I blame myself for getting my hopes up again this year.

sancho
11-03-2018, 08:04 PM
on another subject, I blame myself for getting my hopes up again this year.

It was fun to have the hopes up for a while. I got a lot of solid daydreaming in. Now, back to reality.

SoCalPat
11-03-2018, 09:47 PM

And if he does? So what ...? Teams are never a lethal punt returner away from contending for a title. They'll win you a game of significance once in a generation. But ones who make poor decisions on a regular basis can cost you dearly.

sancho
11-03-2018, 10:00 PM
Teams are never a lethal punt returner away from contending for a title.

I was referring the whole package, not just his special teams play. Having a lethal WR sure would be nice.

chrisrenrut
11-03-2018, 10:33 PM
It is increasingly difficult to disagree with this.

I absolutely agree with this. It was an awful decision to even try to catch that punt, running backwards, over his shoulders inside the 20 yard line. Time to get Simpkins or Dixon out there for punts.

SoCalPat
11-04-2018, 01:08 AM
I was referring the whole package, not just his special teams play. Having a lethal WR sure would be nice.

Nobody is saying Covey is lacking as a WR. But we don’t need him to be giving a possession away to the opposition 1 in every 3 games to be a great WR, either.

LA Ute
11-04-2018, 05:46 AM
Bill Riley’s tweet:

Utah Defense
536yds of Total Offense
285yds passing
251yds rushing
Eno Benjamin--27-175yds 2TD (6.5)avg.
#Utes

UtahsMrSports
11-04-2018, 07:20 AM
Forgive my goofy fan question: Jack Tuttle is still enrolled in school. Could we pull a Joe Williams and bring him back?

I think its fairly apples to oranges. But im no insider so i dont know how guys would react, but i cant imagine they'd rally around a guy who quit like Tuttle did.

LA Ute
11-04-2018, 09:19 AM
I think its fairly apples to oranges. But im no insider so i dont know how guys would react, but i cant imagine they'd rally around a guy who quit like Tuttle did.

Well, he wasn’t able to beat out Shelley for the number two spot, so the coaches would be inviting him to come back as number two. I don’t know how attractive that would be to him, or to his father, who I understand is the real problem here.

Diehard Ute
11-04-2018, 10:44 AM
Well, he wasn’t able to beat out Shelley for the number two spot, so the coaches would be inviting him to come back as number two. I don’t know how attractive that would be to him, or to his father, who I understand is the real problem here.

There are 100+ more kids whose opinions matter more than Tuttle or his dad.

concerned
11-04-2018, 11:01 AM
I dont think Tuttle is enrolled. He announced the transfer that Monday because Friday was the last day to withdraw from class for the fall semester. He had to withdraw to preserve his eligibility next year, I heard.

SeattleUte
11-04-2018, 11:12 AM
Bill Riley’s tweet:

Utah Defense
536yds of Total Offense
285yds passing
251yds rushing
Eno Benjamin--27-175yds 2TD (6.5)avg.
#Utes

Exactly. This game was about the defense’s utter failure to stop ASU. The defense lost the game. We came back from 14 down scoring 17 straight, and then the defense couldn’t stop them scoring a touchdown in the two minutes before the half. That gave me a very bad feeling. Our odds of winning were greatly reduced if this game became a shootout necessitating another 40 point game from the Utes to win. ASU just gave our vaunted defense a complete ass whipping, and our offense couldn’t make up for that. We’ve never been that kind of a team anyway. That seasoned and super athletic dual threat qb and huge and fast receiver were just better than our defense.

Remember the Pit from the old WAC and MWC days? Sun Devil Stadium is PAC 12 football’s pit. A terrible place however ASU is doing.

SeattleUte
11-04-2018, 11:14 AM
I think we still win the south if ASU loses one more, and we win out. There may be a greater than 50% chance of that. ASU has to play at Oregon and at Arizona.

NorthwestUteFan
11-05-2018, 12:49 AM
I sure would feel better if we had your nephew on the roster right now, SU. We are thin at backup.

We no longer control our destiny, but are still in the mix if we get help. Just our luck to have ASU as they hit their stride.

SeattleUte
11-18-2018, 02:02 AM
I think we still win the south if ASU loses one more, and we win out. There may be a greater than 50% chance of that. ASU has to play at Oregon and at Arizona.

Swish!