PDA

View Full Version : Game for the roses. Utah v Washington in Santa Clara

Mormon Red Death
11-25-2018, 02:04 PM
Hopefully we come out on fire

Applejack
11-25-2018, 03:59 PM
Gotta stop Gaskin. Browning threw a few panic passes against us when we pressured him, including the pick that should have been returned for 7. I think this game is really that simple: pressure Browning and contain Gaskin.

And find someway to score.

SoCalPat
11-25-2018, 08:47 PM
Line opens UW -3, quickly bet up to -5.5. Total of only 43 (!?!?!?!)

SoCalPat
11-25-2018, 09:02 PM
How much do you think our shorter week comes into play?

In Vegas making this line? Not much, if anything. I think a little too much is being given to UW for how it beat Wazzu. Sagarin has this as a 2.5-point game on a neutral field.

UTEopia
11-26-2018, 08:23 AM
Received my ticket assignment - Section C136, Row 25.

Applejack
11-30-2018, 07:30 AM
Game Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Applejack
11-30-2018, 08:42 AM
For karma or justice or whatever, I would like to see a key Husky defender thrown out early in the game for a highly questionable targeting call.

Why must it always be a defender? Myles Gaskin should be watched closely for targeting; really closely.

DrumNFeather
11-30-2018, 08:42 AM
One thing's for certain - we don't have to read the annual "Is this Utah's biggest game as a member of the Pac-12?" article anymore.

Hit Browning + stop Gaskin + break out game for Green + TEs reappear = I'm going to Pasadena for New Years!

Browning has shown that he's willing to make a dumb throw just to not have to throw it away. We need to force him into that early and often. Need to tackle better then we did a week ago...Gaskin is slippery!

Applejack
11-30-2018, 09:06 AM
Browning has shown that he's willing to make a dumb throw just to not have to throw it away. We need to force him into that early and often. Need to tackle better then we did a week ago...Gaskin is slippery!

All the Huskie supporters are saying that some offensive lineman who was injured the last time we played has been a difference maker since he came back. Any truth to this rumor?

U-Ute
11-30-2018, 09:30 AM
We have not been a fast starting team all season. We need to stay within two scores going into halftime.

if we're within two scores at the half, I like our chances.

DrumNFeather
11-30-2018, 09:32 AM
All the Huskie supporters are saying that some offensive lineman who was injured the last time we played has been a difference maker since he came back. Any truth to this rumor?

I know they had a guy go out and the person who replaced him was playing well, and he didn't get back into the line up until the person who replaced him got hurt (if we're talking about the same person).

LA Ute
11-30-2018, 01:26 PM
I think a Ute win here will be the biggest in program history, and the Rose Bowl will be the biggest game. I understand that reasonable people may disagree. They’d be wrong, of course. 😉

Scorcho
11-30-2018, 01:39 PM
I think a Ute win here will be the biggest in program history, and the Rose Bowl will be the biggest game. I understand that reasonable people may disagree. They’d be wrong, of course. 

agreed.

However, just checked the front page of KSL.com and FOX13.com and nada.

KOMO.com has an article about the PAC-12 Championship, as does KIRO.com out of Seattle.

:mad:

LA Ute
11-30-2018, 01:53 PM
Sugar Bowl is the correct answer, but this certainly wins for our Pac-12 history.

It’s debatable. We got to the Sugar Bowl by computer selection in the BCS era. We got to this game purely by winning football games in a P5 conference. I.e., we did it in the field of play. To me that makes this game bigger, and our getting to this game bigger. If not bigger it’s at least a uniquely superb accomplishment.

Applejack
11-30-2018, 02:05 PM
It’s debatable. We got to the Sugar Bowl by computer selection in the BCS era. We got to this game purely by winning football games in a P5 conference. I.e., we did it in the field of play. To me that makes this game bigger, and our getting to this game bigger. If not bigger it’s at least a uniquely superb accomplishment.

Strange argument. "Computer selection" got us to the Sugar Bowl, but winning football games landed us in the Pac-12 championship? Weren't winning football games the way that "computer selection" happened? I'm not sure what we are arguing about.

LA Ute
11-30-2018, 02:38 PM
Strange argument. "Computer selection" got us to the Sugar Bowl, but winning football games landed us in the Pac-12 championship? Weren't winning football games the way that "computer selection" happened? I'm not sure what we are arguing about.

This is just fan talk so no biggie. I'm terribly proud of that Sugar Bowl team and that championship. That was the greatest single on-field performance by any Utah team, ever. I'm at least as proud of this year's team (and the coaching staff) because they won a championship on the field by beating the other teams in their league. They had scoreboard, in other words. There's no question about who is the South champion. It's Utah. That will also be true if they win tonight. They'll be PAC-12 champions, no questions asked. To me that is a big deal.

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-30-2018, 04:19 PM
agreed.

However, just checked the front page of KSL.com and FOX13.com and nada.

KOMO.com has an article about the PAC-12 Championship, as does KIRO.com out of Seattle.

:mad:

I think you’re being a little unfair to KSL. They totally have a story about today’s game.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181130/bdefc2510333131276be64418ef25ac7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-30-2018, 04:22 PM
You can't spell "champions" without the A and H in UTAH.

It’s a good thing we’re playing my Grandfather’s favorite team: Wershington.

LA Ute
11-30-2018, 04:32 PM
I think you’re being a little unfair to KSL. They totally have a story about today’s game.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181130/bdefc2510333131276be64418ef25ac7.jpg

:rofl:

NorthwestUteFan
11-30-2018, 05:19 PM
It’s a good thing we’re playing my Grandfather’s favorite team: Wershington.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkOr my grandfather's favorite team and Alma mater, Worshingdon.

chrisrenrut
11-30-2018, 05:43 PM
Excited!

Mormon Red Death
11-30-2018, 06:43 PM
it takes taylor 2 quarters before he realizes he can run the football with our hb

Mormon Red Death
11-30-2018, 06:54 PM
I get wanting to get covey the ball but can we just try running conventionally on 1st and 2nd?

LA Ute
11-30-2018, 06:57 PM
We need keep them from getting chunk plays like that. I love how the TV guys give Browning credit for the gain when most of the yards resulted from Blackmon badly blowing the tackle after the catch.

Mormon Red Death
11-30-2018, 07:02 PM
10 rushes for gaskin. 1 for our hbs

LA Ute
11-30-2018, 07:05 PM
10 rushes for gaskin. 1 for our hbs

What happened to pounding the ball?

LA Ute
11-30-2018, 07:08 PM
As usual we are giving up the short passes but not the long stuff.

Mormon Red Death
11-30-2018, 07:17 PM
And another 3 and out where our hbs dont touch the ball

Mormon Red Death
11-30-2018, 07:18 PM
It's like our previous meeting where taylor forgot he had a rb

Mormon Red Death
11-30-2018, 07:28 PM
Almost half and our hbs have 1 rush attempt

Mormon Red Death
11-30-2018, 07:35 PM
Why didn't we throw a hail mary???!!???

Mormon Red Death
11-30-2018, 07:42 PM
Im besides myself.. that end of the half is inexcusable

Mormon Red Death
11-30-2018, 08:08 PM
#allgayallday

Sullyute
11-30-2018, 08:08 PM
Opening drive score!

LA Ute
11-30-2018, 08:09 PM
Call me crazy but I believe in these guys.

Mormon Red Death
11-30-2018, 08:22 PM
Any news on covey?

Mormon Red Death
11-30-2018, 08:32 PM
That was a dres "did you know he's the son of flipper" anderson special

Mormon Red Death
11-30-2018, 08:38 PM
JUST RUN THE FOOTBALL!!!!! Wtf taylor???

Sullyute
11-30-2018, 08:40 PM
Going deep twice in a row there smells of desperation. Shelley is not the guy for that.

I like the call, but the defender had the inside track on the second throw.

Mormon Red Death
11-30-2018, 08:41 PM
Why doesnt taylor understand situational football? 1st down at the 50 run the f ing ball!

Mormon Red Death
11-30-2018, 08:52 PM
I wish we would commit to the run like Washington

Mormon Red Death
11-30-2018, 08:59 PM
Is nacua hurt as well?

Mormon Red Death
11-30-2018, 08:59 PM
Sure, but it's a lot easier when it's working. We never gave them a reason to go away from the run. We never showed anything in this game that would make you think we could win it on the ground.You have to commit to it. We have stopped gaskin but they still do it

Sullyute
11-30-2018, 09:02 PM
The defense has done every thing needed to win. The offense has to step up.

Mormon Red Death
11-30-2018, 09:03 PM
Rose bowl on the line a d troy taylor calls the shittiest game of his career

Alright, let's open up this drive with some good old deep passes!

Mormon Red Death
11-30-2018, 09:06 PM
5 minutes left why not run the ball on 2nd and 6???

AnestheUte
11-30-2018, 09:08 PM
This game has been brutal to watch. Our offense has looked utterly pathetic.

LA Ute
11-30-2018, 09:09 PM
Defensive battle. Their defense was better.

Mormon Red Death
11-30-2018, 09:10 PM
This loss is solely on troy taylor.

AnestheUte
11-30-2018, 09:10 PM
Defensive battle. Their defense was better.

That's true, but it still doesn't make it fun to watch. We just couldn't get anything substantial going.

concerned
11-30-2018, 09:11 PM
I think, in the end, the losses of Huntley and Moss were too much for us to overcome. It's remarkable we made it to the title game without them. You have to believe that this story would have ended differently with them.

Moss especially. And covey

AnestheUte
11-30-2018, 09:21 PM
I understand that it doesn't ultimately mean much, but are the officials SO bad that they miss such a blatant PI to end the game?

Mormon Red Death
11-30-2018, 09:32 PM
I understand that it doesn't ultimately mean much, but are the officials SO bad that they miss such a blatant PI to end the game?Do you have any faith in the pac12? Of course they weren't throwing a flag. "San Francisco" probably told them not to do anything

concerned
11-30-2018, 09:37 PM
Moss especially, but Huntley had a great October. He'd have made a difference in a game like this.

Our receivers really let us down tonight. Not the first time. We really needed both moss and huntley running tinight.

Solon
11-30-2018, 09:43 PM
Do you have any faith in the pac12? Of course they weren't throwing a flag. "San Francisco" probably told them not to do anything

It’s hard for me to be very upset. Washington was the better team tonight. With a half-decent kicker, Washington probably has 9 more points.

Defense did all it could do. Offense was pretty bad. I have to think that there must have been some way to scheme a mismatch or two, but the Huskies earned it.

It’s been a fun year. Let’s go bowling!

concerned
11-30-2018, 09:47 PM
Yeah. Mariner's drop felt like ballgame when it happened, and it actually did turn out to be the difference. CATCH THE BALL!

Enis got run off his route on the 2nd interception, and simpkins fell down on the third. Ennis and Thompson both had crucial drops too

concerned
11-30-2018, 10:03 PM
Sounds like coveys injury is pretty serious, although they haven't said what it is. It looked like it might be an ACL tear when it happened

LA Ute
11-30-2018, 10:20 PM
I am still proud of this team. Tonight the two offenses tied 3-3. A flukey pick-6 was the difference. They made it to this game without 2 players who represented 86% of the Utah offense. They did not quit, ever. We still have a decent bowl game ahead of us -- or at least they deserve one. It's reasonable to believe that next season could be just as good as this one. So this loss is far from devastating, IMO, and we can look forward to good things.

DrumNFeather
11-30-2018, 10:28 PM
Harlan said on the post game that the runner up has never fallen past the Alimo or Holiday. I would hope that would remain the case.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Scorcho
11-30-2018, 10:31 PM
Harlan said on the post game that the runner up has never fallen past the Alimo or Holiday. I would hope that would remain the case.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Was saving money for the Rose bowl possibility, if its Holiday I will definitely go. Alamo - not so sure

Old Standing ute
11-30-2018, 10:38 PM
Our receivers really let us down tonight. Not the first time. We really needed both moss and huntley running tinight.

Flip the injuries:
Take away Browning & Gaskin

and add Huntley & Moss & Utah would probably dominate just like Washington did tonight.

SoCalPat
12-01-2018, 01:48 AM
Taking a sack in FG range is brutal.

So is not taking a timeout when you have two left.

UTEopia
12-01-2018, 09:26 AM
This loss is solely on troy taylor.

UW is the No. 1 defense in the PAC. I think I will give them some credit.

UTEopia
12-01-2018, 09:31 AM
I am still proud of this team. Tonight the two offenses tied 3-3. A flukey pick-6 was the difference. They made it to this game without 2 players who represented 86% of the Utah offense. They did not quit, ever. We still have a decent bowl game ahead of us -- or at least they deserve one. It's reasonable to believe that next season could be just as good as this one. So this loss is far from devastating, IMO, and we can look forward to good things.

I’m bullish on the Utes. 2 steps forward this year. Win bowl game. Get back to Championship game. Great showing by fans. We have some great fans. We also have some total idiots. One guy, who could barely stand, decided to stand all game despite there being an 80 year old lady right behind him. She and her husband were gracious.

Mormon Red Death
12-01-2018, 09:44 AM
UW is the No. 1 defense in the PAC. I think I will give them some credit.No... his game plan was garbage. With 3 minutes left in the first half the rbs had one fing carry. He pulled the same shit the first time we played washington. On the drives where were actually moved the ball a little it's because we ran our rbs on first down.

Hot Lunch
12-01-2018, 10:10 AM
No... his game plan was garbage. With 3 minutes left in the first half the rbs had one fing carry. He pulled the same shit the first time we played washington. On the drives where were actually moved the ball a little it's because we ran our rbs on first down.

His game plan was a complete joke. One thing stays the same, Utah can’t find an average OC.

This is loss is 100% on Troy Taylor. He runs a Mickey Mouse offense that doesn’t work vs big time football.

NorthwestUteFan
12-01-2018, 10:59 AM
Chris Petersen is a complete joke. What the hell is being with his playcalling? Our offense had the ball for 40 minutes and only managed to score 3 points? And wtf can't we get a good kicker? I can't believe we had to get completely lucky on a lucky bounce pick-6. I'll miss Gaskin, but don't let the door hit your ass on the way out Jake Browning. We're going to get smoked by Ohio State, and it won't be pretty. I thank Lord Xenu that football is almost over so we can get back to sucking at shooty hoops.

Am I doing this right?

Mormon Red Death
12-01-2018, 11:03 AM
Chris Petersen is a complete joke. What the hell is being with his playcalling? Our offense had the ball for 40 minutes and only managed to score 3 points? And wtf can't we get a good kicker? I can't believe we had to get completely lucky on a lucky bounce pick-6. I'll miss Gaskin, but don't let the door hit your ass on the way out Jake Browning. We're going to get smoked by Ohio State, and it won't be pretty. I thank Lord Xenu that football is almost over so we can get back to sucking at shooty hoops.

Am I doing this right?Petersen didnt kick fgs when he should have. The fact that utah was in the game is directly due to his decisions. He was giving the game to utah. Utah never crossed the 30 yard line of washington.

Mormon Red Death
12-01-2018, 01:17 PM
Look at the box score our actual running backs ran only 13 times. Washington's rbs ran 32 times. Is it any wonder why they won the time of possession? If you look at the drive charts we only moved the ball when we ran with our running backs on first down. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181201/0f43f90f5cab54b21de5c96043411546.jpg

USS Utah
12-01-2018, 01:29 PM
I'll stipulate that the OC called a bad game last night, but we were in the game last night. I don't mean we were competitive and only lost by a TD. I mean, we were in the championship game. Utah won their division and everything, and not despite the OC. Utah scored 40+ four weeks in a row, and then found a way to win three games after losing their starting QB and RB to injury.

The OC called some stinkers early and then last night, but he did enough to earn some credit. He should be back next year, and we should be happy about that.

LA Ute
12-01-2018, 01:35 PM
I tried to listen to Kyle‘s post-game interview but didn’t catch it all. Did anyone ask him about the reluctance to run?

They pretty much stuffed us every time we tried to run, and I think their DL abused our OL in the first half. But the way I’ve always heard it, you have to keep trying to run in order to keep the other team honest, and to wear them down. It seems to me that all season long we’ve generally run the ball better in the second half for that reason. Anyone else have any insight?

Mormon Red Death
12-01-2018, 01:54 PM
I tried to listen to Kyle‘s post-game interview but didn’t catch it all. Did anyone ask him about the reluctance to run?

They pretty much stuffed us every time we tried to run, and I think their DL abused our OL in the first half. But the way I’ve always heard it, you have to keep trying to run in order to keep the other team honest, and to wear them down. It seems to me that all season long we’ve generally run the ball better in the second half for that reason. Anyone else have any insight?We stuffed uw on the run too but they kept at it. That's the difference

LA Ute
12-01-2018, 02:49 PM
We didn't stuff them in the same way they stuffed us. They regularly had 3rd and short because of their runs. Did we stop them on any of their many 3rd/4th and shorts? It's easy to stick with it when you get 3-6 yards on 1st down. When we get 0 yards on 1st down, it's a lot harder to stick with it. We had 1 good run in the entire first half, right?

It seemed like we had a very difficult time stopping Gaskin in the first half, but did better in the second. Not sure why. It was maddening to watch him squirt through the line time after time. But you’re right, they were much more successful at running than we were,at least in terms of grinding out yardage and time of possession. I still believe that Washington abused our offensive line for most of the first half, and much of the second.

Mormon Red Death
12-01-2018, 03:23 PM
We didn't stuff them in the same way they stuffed us. They regularly had 3rd and short because of their runs. Did we stop them on any of their many 3rd/4th and shorts? It's easy to stick with it when you get 3-6 yards on 1st down. When we get 0 yards on 1st down, it's a lot harder to stick with it. We had 1 good run in the entire first half, right?We did not run our running backs in the football in the first half.

series
1. Inc pass, run by covey 4 yrds scramble by shelly 3 yrds

2. Run by covey 16 yrds, run by shyne 2 yrds inc pass, scramble by shelly

3. Shelly run for -4 yards, pass to covey 6yrds pass to simpkins 1 yrd

4.inc pass, sack, pass to brumfield 6 yrds

5.shyne 6 yrds, shelly 2 yrds, pass to fotheringham 11yrds, shyne for 4. Pass to fotheringham 13 yrds, shelly 1 yrd, shyne 3yrds, shelly sack

Half time

LA Ute
12-02-2018, 08:06 AM
This was linked on UF. net. I am not at all familiar with the Washington fan base, but this is definitely not a good look for them.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181202/054cf88d3b1cb96ccb6f037d156351d1.jpg

U-Ute
12-02-2018, 09:09 AM
This was linked on UF. net. I am not at all familiar with the Washington fan base, but this is definitely not a good look for them.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181202/054cf88d3b1cb96ccb6f037d156351d1.jpg

The CougarBoard of Husky nation. They need to find girlfriends.

NorthwestUteFan
12-02-2018, 10:29 AM
The CougarBoard of Husky nation. They need to find girlfriends.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkOr more weed so they can stay off the meth.

U-Ute
12-03-2018, 08:29 AM
WTF was that ref looking at?