PDA

View Full Version : Official Utah Utes 2019 Football Season Thread

Pages : [1] 2

U-Ute
12-05-2018, 10:11 AM
The schedule is out.

https://utahutes.com/news/2018/12/3/2019-utah-football-schedule-is-announced.aspx?path=football

UTEopia
12-07-2018, 02:26 AM
Never been to a game at Washington. I think that will be my road trip.

NorthwestUteFan
12-07-2018, 07:32 AM
Never been to a game at Washington. I think that will be my road trip.It is a fun setting and environment. Hopefully it is a day game, because the views are spectacular.

LA Ute
12-22-2018, 09:25 AM
I wonder what 2019 will be like, offensively?

Taylor was Utah’s OC for two seasons. In Kyle Whittingham’s reign, that’s about normal. Andy Ludwig lasted four seasons. Then came the parade: Dave Schramm, Aaron Roderick, Norm Chow, Brian Johnson, Dennis Erickson, Dave Christensen, Taylor.

Is it inability to move the ball or is Whittingham holding back the offensive output with his conservative tendencies?

“Bottom line is scoring points,” Whittingham said in March. “That’s the most important thing for an offense … it doesn’t matter how you get it in the end zone.”
As much as Utah talks about improving, it hasn’t been in the top 30 nationally in total offense since 2005. This season the Utes were a respectable sixth in the conference in total offense and fourth in scoring.
Occam's razor.

Applejack
12-22-2018, 10:05 AM
I didn't realize we were 4th in the conference in scoring. That's very good, especially in a conference full of trickster offenses. We always said that if we could get into the top half of the conference in offense, we'd win our division. Looks like we were right.

Laute continues to move the goalposts.

LA Ute
12-22-2018, 10:33 AM
I didn't realize we were 4th in the conference in scoring. That's very good, especially in a conference full of trickster offenses. We always said that if we could get into the top half of the conference in offense, we'd win our division. Looks like we were right.

That was a great thing about this past season. I loved it, and I hope it continues.

“Hope” is the thing with feathers -That perches in the soul -
And sings the tune without the words -
And never stops - at all -

And sweetest - in the Gale - is heard -
And sore must be the storm -
That could abash the little Bird
That kept so many warm -

I’ve heard it in the chillest land -
And on the strangest Sea -

Yet - never - in Extremity,
It asked a crumb - of me.
Alas, when we are thinking about the future, there is very little in the history of KyleBall that gives us grounds for hope regarding the offense. His determination, firm set of football values, and tenacity are virtues, and they are also his Achilles heel so far as the offense is concerned. My opinion. No blasphemy involved.

NorthwestUteFan
12-22-2018, 02:56 PM
I'm not entirely convinced you even watch football.

What we saw against Weber, NIU, UW, and WSU was Troy Taylor ball. We just had a horrible case of the drops. Kyle exerted his influence (strong run game with innovative blocking schemes, run to set up down field threats, clock control) and Stanford/Arizona/USC/UCLA happened.

LA Ute
12-23-2018, 08:19 AM
I'm not entirely convinced you even watch football.

What we saw against Weber, NIU, UW, and WSU was Troy Taylor ball. We just had a horrible case of the drops. Kyle exerted his influence (strong run game with innovative blocking schemes, run to set up down field threats, clock control) and Stanford/Arizona/USC/UCLA happened.

This is very common thinking among Kyle fans. When we lose after a poor offensive showing, it is the OC‘s fault. When we win, it is because of Kyle. When we lose after a poor defensive showing, everyone looks at Scalley. When special teams screw up regularly, as they did this season, no one looks at the special teams coordinator (who happens to be the head coach, last time I checked). But Kyle hires all those guys.

He also oversees recruiting, so yes, we have players who do well in a power running scheme: Moss, Shyne, and a big, talented offensive line. So a scheme that emphasizes the power running attack that Kyle likes, and around which the offensive personnel are built, works for the Utes. As Uteopia has notes, Kyle says he wants a power running scheme with bruiser RBs, one that takes care of the football and has a quarterback who can make big plays. That’s great, and it has worked for us.

I am critical of Kyle for hiring OCs like Taylor who don’t want to run his system, and for the constant turnover in the OC spot since 2008 and the problems that creates. I am realistic about the fact that really talented WR recruits and QB recruits who like to pass generally aren’t going to find in Utah an attractive destination. There can be no doubt that opposing schools use Kyle’s offensive philosophy to recruit against us. And so on.

Kyle is the most successful and greatest coach we’ve ever had at Utah. He is who he is, and he has limits, and I hope he stays until he retires. I wouldn’t mind seeing him retire sooner rather than later, but I am am ardent fan of the program and of the University and I am going to be cheering for him as long as he in his job, but I cheer primarily for the school, not any particular coach or player. Still, now and then I am going to be critical of Kyle. He is not the perfect coach. What really bothers me is that so many here, and on other fan boards, see Kyle as a sacred cow and become indignant when he is criticized. I am still going to criticize him sometimes, and in doing so I am not criticizing Allah, an LDS prophet, or the Pope.

So there!

SoCalPat
12-23-2018, 10:24 PM

Fourth is very good but let's not kid ourselves -- 30.8 PPG typically has you in the bottom half of the league, usually around 8th or 9th. Our offense didn't improve that much; it's that the rest of the league as a whole was much worse.

LA Ute
12-23-2018, 10:34 PM
Kyle fans? Why can't we all just be Utah fans? That's what I am.

LOL. OK, I guess I could say “Utah fans who place Kyle on a pedestal, excuse all his shortcomings, and abhor any criticism of him.”

LA Ute
12-24-2018, 08:01 PM
I wonder if you think any of us fall into this category. I don't think anyone here is like that.

You are not like that, but there are plenty of Utah fans in that category -- and we do have our own mini-Torquemada here on this board. But it’s OK. Most of it’s on the Facebook page, and it has become fascinating to watch.

SeattleUte
12-24-2018, 10:29 PM
People who say positive things about Whittingham don’t just spontaneously gush a liturgy of adoration. They respond to fans who have wanted to fire him....
Firing Whittinham is an outcome that would be met with shock and derision in every quarter of people who know a lot more about college football than LAUte or Chris Hill. Those who have responded to LAUte’s nonsense are not the ones obsessed with Whittingham.... It’s sad that he can’t just accept Utah football for what it is—a program with fewer assets of every kind required to excel in the P5 realm than most P5 schools that nevertheless generally outperforms expectations and most P5 programs.

Irving Washington
12-25-2018, 07:29 AM
People who say positive things about Whittingham don’t just spontaneously gush a liturgy of adoration. They respond to fans who have wanted to fire him.... Firing Whittinham is an outcome that would be met with shock and derision in every quarter of people who know a lot more about college football than LAUte or Chris Hill. Those who have responded to LAUte’s nonsense are not the ones obsessed with Whittingham.... It’s sad that he can’t just accept Utah football for what it is—a program with fewer assets of every kind required to excel in the P5 realm than most P5 schools that nevertheless generally outperforms expectations and most P5 programs.
Be kind to all.

LA Ute
12-25-2018, 10:41 AM
People who say positive things about Whittingham don’t just spontaneously gush a liturgy of adoration. They respond to fans who have wanted to fire him.... Firing Whittinham is an outcome that would be met with shock and derision in every quarter of people who know a lot more about college football than LAUte or Chris Hill. Those who have responded to LAUte’s nonsense are not the ones obsessed with Whittingham.... It’s sad that he can’t just accept Utah football for what it is—a program with fewer assets of every kind required to excel in the P5 realm than most P5 schools that nevertheless generally outperforms expectations and most P5 programs.

Merry Christmas, Seattle! ❤️ If you've ever seen me say anywhere that KW should be fired, or that Utah doesn't face the challenges you list, can you tell me if the statement you saw was adjacent to, above, below, or superimposed on the unicorn you also saw in my post?

I'm very sorry it upsets you so much when people aren't holding opinions of which you approve. It must be hard for you.

LA Ute
12-30-2018, 11:09 PM
LOL. Seriously?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181231/20dcaebfa519c59fedeede646914f9e3.jpg

Hat tip to Dwight for finding this.

concerned
12-31-2018, 11:22 AM
just saw a rumor that Sarkasian could be the next OC.

LA Ute
12-31-2018, 12:26 PM
just saw a rumor that Sarkasian could be the next OC.

We couldn’t make this stuff up. It’s wonderful.

concerned
12-31-2018, 12:33 PM
We couldn’t make this stuff up. It’s wonderful.

He just got fired in Atlanta, so it is not completely outer space.

LA Ute
12-31-2018, 02:16 PM
He just got fired in Atlanta, so it is not completely outer space.

It’s entirely believable, just a little weird to me.

Rocker Ute
12-31-2018, 02:22 PM
It’s entirely believable, just a little weird to me.

Just make sure that his contract includes a driver like it did at USC.

NorthwestUteFan
12-31-2018, 04:29 PM
just saw a rumor that Sarkasian could be the next OC.That would be big, but isn't he going to Tennessee?

Also, he is more of a Pro-Set guy usually. Do we have the players for that? We would need a different level and strategy of recruiting for that to work.

NorthwestUteFan
12-31-2018, 04:30 PM
Just make sure that his contract includes a driver like it did at USC.He went through his program and (allegedly) has been sober for a few years now. He would be a solid choice in many ways.

LA Ute
12-31-2018, 05:48 PM
He went through his program and (allegedly) has been sober for a few years now. He would be a solid choice in many ways.

I could get used to the idea.

Mormon Red Death
01-01-2019, 10:19 AM
Let's talk about the new OC

We should go after..... Urban Meyer

No seriously here some candidates
Sark
Mike sanford sr
Mike mccoy
Put out a feeler to bevell

Mormon Red Death
01-01-2019, 10:21 AM
Realistically it will probably be Hardin with some big sky unknown as qb coach

Heres a thought... what about holladay? Receivers have clearly gotten better with him.

UTEopia
01-01-2019, 12:38 PM
After how poorly the OL played much of the year and especially in the last two games, I am not big on Harding.

Hot Lunch
01-01-2019, 02:13 PM
Let's talk about the new OC

We should go after..... Urban Meyer

No seriously here some candidates
Sark
Mike sanford sr
Mike mccoy
Put out a feeler to bevell

Mike Sanford Sr. should not be a candidate. Nor will he be.

NorthwestUteFan
01-01-2019, 02:26 PM
Mike Yurcich from Oklahoma State? Might be a solid hire. Okie State had great offenses under him 2013-2018, and averaged just under 500 yds per game this season. Plus, he just left the program. Rumors have him going to Tennessee.

We really need to open the checkbook for a proven successful P5 OC, and that might cost $1M or more.

Maybe Kyle can show his commitment to the program and pitch in $500k of it.

LA Ute
01-01-2019, 04:20 PM
Mike Yurcich from Oklahoma State? Might be a solid hire. Okie State had great offenses under him 2013-2018, and averaged just under 500 yds per game this season. Plus, he just left the program. Rumors have him going to Tennessee.

We really need to open the checkbook for a proven successful P5 OC, and that might cost $1M or more.

Kyle would never hire him.

LA Ute
01-01-2019, 09:58 PM
Why not? Kyle just tried to hire rich rod. He seems open to anything.

Historically it seems to me that Kyle has hired offensive coordinators he felt comfortable with, in the sense that they would not buck him. (This is not a dig at Kyle, I think most head coaches want that.) Now...if he really was serious about Rich Rod, then that would be a departure from that pattern, so your point is very intriguing. I don’t believe he would hire a hot shot from Oklahoma State, but I am prepared to be surprised and delighted.

UTEopia
01-01-2019, 10:47 PM

This guy is rumored to be leaving the OC gig at Okie St. to be the QB coach at Ohio St.

concerned
01-02-2019, 08:51 AM
I am sort of skeptical about the Rich Rod story. Sounds like the kind of thing an agent puts out to increase his leverage and bargaining power. Who knows.

DrumNFeather
01-02-2019, 09:19 AM
Kyle makes some interesting remarks at the end of this interview with Bill after the game (RE: the OC position): https://espn700sports.com/news/utah-vs-northwestern-holiday-bowl-kyle-whittingham-postgame-12-31-18/

Bill flat out asks him how important experience/having a proven play caller is, and Kyle essentially says it is paramount. To me that disqualifies Harding, and perhaps lends some credibility to the RichRod rumor. Ultimately we'll see who he gets, but it is certainly interesting.

LA Ute
01-02-2019, 09:34 AM
Kyle makes some interesting remarks at the end of this interview with Bill after the game (RE: the OC position): https://espn700sports.com/news/utah-vs-northwestern-holiday-bowl-kyle-whittingham-postgame-12-31-18/

Bill flat out asks him how important experience/having a proven play caller is, and Kyle essentially says it is paramount. To me that disqualifies Harding, and perhaps lends some credibility to the RichRod rumor. Ultimately we'll see who he gets, but it is certainly interesting.

Maybe this means he learned something from the Brian Johnson hire?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoCalPat
01-02-2019, 12:16 PM
I am sort of skeptical about the Rich Rod story. Sounds like the kind of thing an agent puts out to increase his leverage and bargaining power. Who knows.

I agree. The only group nearly as gullible to an agent's breathless blatherings about his client than athletic directors are sportswriters. Not buying it.

SoCalPat
01-02-2019, 12:24 PM

You're 100 percent certain Harding doesn't have any experience in calling plays?

DrumNFeather
01-02-2019, 01:58 PM
You're 100 percent certain Harding doesn't have any experience in calling plays?

I am 100 percent certain that Kyle knows his window is closing.

He's not going to coach forever, and he knows he's got a chance to win the league, particularly with USC bringing back Helton. We've got some talented WRs and TEs coming back next year, and a decent battle at QB (potentially). So yeah, I think he's going to look past Jim Harding and his vast play calling experience with A-Rod to see if he can get a guy in here who can run the spread with a dynamic QB and a power backs. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but I certainly don't think Harding is plan a, b, c, or d.

concerned
01-02-2019, 03:45 PM
why would Bronco agree to this? Was he on his way out at UVA?

John. @JohnMoretti5
Sources: WVU and Bronco Mendenhall have agreed to a 4 year $10.5 million contract. Expect an official announcement tomorrow at Noon. #HailWV #WVU

UtahsMrSports
01-02-2019, 05:18 PM
Look at that guys profile. He has around 100 followers and most of his tweets are gibberish. He's a troll.

LA Ute
01-03-2019, 12:55 PM
I am 100 percent certain that Kyle knows his window is closing.

He's not going to coach forever, and he knows he's got a chance to win the league, particularly with USC bringing back Helton. We've got some talented WRs and TEs coming back next year, and a decent battle at QB (potentially). So yeah, I think he's going to look past Jim Harding and his vast play calling experience with A-Rod to see if he can get a guy in here who can run the spread with a dynamic QB and a power backs. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but I certainly don't think Harding is plan a, b, c, or d.

You may be on to something here. It’s easy to see how Kyle could be thinking that way. To the extent he reaches out to others for advice (like Urban) maybe they’re telling him it’s time to stretch.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-07-2019, 10:46 AM
New hire #2 has been announced to fill the Linebacker coaching replacement for Justin Ena. I don't know anything about Swan but it is does have me adjusting down my OC replacement expectations.

U-Ute
01-07-2019, 11:03 AM
Some background on Swan:

Sullyute
01-07-2019, 11:09 AM
The dude went to Weber State on a rodeo scholarship! That is pretty cool.

“The Jerome, Idaho, native initially came to Weber State on a rodeo scholarship, but walked on to the football team and was awarded a football scholarship the next year. He made the Big Sky Academic All-Conference team three seasons.”

Hot Lunch
01-07-2019, 11:21 AM
New hire #2 has been announced to fill the Linebacker coaching replacement for Justin Ena. I don't know anything about Swan but it is does have me adjusting down my OC replacement expectations.

A family member of mine knows Swan. Says he a great dude and will be a great addition to the staff. I trust my family member so........ That's all I got.

Solon
01-07-2019, 12:33 PM
A family member of mine knows Swan. Says he a great dude and will be a great addition to the staff. I trust my family member so........ That's all I got.

I watch more Big Sky football than I am comfortable admitting.
Weber's defense has been really good the last couple of years.

Hot Lunch
01-07-2019, 02:04 PM
https://twitter.com/PresMoss2/status/1082382132347957254

Best news of the day.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-07-2019, 02:06 PM

Best news of the day.

The new OC!

Hot Lunch
01-07-2019, 02:07 PM
The new OC!

I am ok with this kid calling his number.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-07-2019, 02:14 PM

Scorcho
01-07-2019, 02:20 PM
Great news to start the week! Wow.

jumping Jehoshaphat

too early to buy Rose Bowl tickets?

LA Ute
01-07-2019, 02:43 PM
:jig:

LA Ute
01-07-2019, 02:58 PM

concerned
01-07-2019, 03:16 PM
I wonder if Moss was influenced at all by Taylor leaving.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-07-2019, 03:54 PM
I wonder if Moss was influenced at all by Taylor leaving.

Not sure about that, but some saying that there's no way he announces his return without knowing and being very excited about the new OC. :shrug:

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-07-2019, 11:10 PM
:blink:

Applejack
01-08-2019, 09:01 AM

Best news of the day.

:jig:

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-08-2019, 09:08 AM
Who would we be without a WR transfer in the off season?! George Siosi Wilson Mariner out.

Scorcho
01-08-2019, 10:20 AM
Who would we be without a WR transfer in the off season?! George Siosi Wilson Mariner out.

I heard he left because he found out who the new OC will be.

:rolleyes:

Utebiquitous
01-08-2019, 10:36 AM
I'm told the largest influence on Moss was the NFL evaluation that came through recently. Pretty strong report stating that he was, at best, a fourth-round draft choice.

U-Ute
01-08-2019, 02:00 PM

Best recruiting job in years.

LA Ute
01-08-2019, 03:58 PM
I just heard from a friend who's never been wrong that the new OC will be...Andy Ludwig.

Yes, that sounds like a joke, and I have been making them. So I'll take all the ribbing in the world if I am wrong. But this source is connected to the program and has now said I could post the info. He also told me Sarkisian is going to the Packers, where he'll make lots more than he could at Utah.

Maybe Andy wanted to get home to Utah? I didn't know he was from there.

Andy Ludwig is an American football coach. He currently is the offensive coordinator and tight ends coach at Vanderbilt University. He played college football at Snow College and Portland State graduating in 1988.Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Ludwig)

Born (https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GCEA_en&q=andy+ludwig+born&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAOPgE-LSz9U3MDIzT64s1xLLTrbSL0jNL8hJBVJFxfl5Vkn5RXkA4BdS nyYAAAA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjK5NrTpN_fAhWSm-AKHcePAoAQ6BMoADAaegQIBxAG): May 14, 1964 (age 54 years), Ogden, UT (https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GCEA_en&q=Ogden,+Utah&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAOPgE-LSz9U3MDIzT64sV-IEsQ0NMiwrtcSyk630C1LzC3JSgVRRcX6eVVJ-UR4Ayj8gwTEAAAA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjK5NrTpN_fAhWSm-AKHcePAoAQmxMoATAaegQIBxAH)

Team (https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GCEA_en&q=andy+ludwig+team&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAOPgE-LSz9U3MDIzT64s15LKKLfST87PyUlNLsnMz9MvSM0vyEm1KklN zAUA1fktByoAAAA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjK5NrTpN_fAhWSm-AKHcePAoAQ6BMoADAcegQIBxAK): Vanderbilt Commodores football (https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GCEA_en&q=Vanderbilt+Commodores+football&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAOPgE-LSz9U3MDIzT64sV4KyywwtMrSkMsqt9JPzc3JSk0sy8_P0C1Lz C3JSrUpSE3MBboAEQTYAAAA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjK5NrTpN_fAhWSm-AKHcePAoAQmxMoATAcegQIBxAL)

Position (https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GCEA_en&q=andy+ludwig+position&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAOPgE-LSz9U3MDIzT64s15LLKLfST87PyUlNLsnMz9MvSM0vyEm1Ksgv zgTxAVcamn8uAAAA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjK5NrTpN_fAhWSm-AKHcePAoAQ6BMoADAdegQIBxAO): Wide receiver

Title (https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GCEA_en&q=andy+ludwig+title&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAOPgE-LSz9U3MDIzT64s15LOKLfST87PyUlNLsnMz9MvSM0vyEm1Ksks yUkFAIdj8VErAAAA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjK5NrTpN_fAhWSm-AKHcePAoAQ6BMoADAeegQIBxAR): Offensive coordinator (https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GCEA_en&q=Offensive+coordinator&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAOPgE-LSz9U3MDIzT64sV-IEsY3zKpLNtaQzyq30k_NzclKTSzLz8_QLUvMLclKtSjJLclIB GbG6aDYAAAA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjK5NrTpN_fAhWSm-AKHcePAoAQmxMoATAeegQIBxAS)

2018-present (https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GCEA_en&q=andy+ludwig+2018-present&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjK5NrTpN_fAhWSm-AKHcePAoAQ6BMoADAfegQIBxAV): Vanderbilt (https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GCEA_en&q=Vanderbilt&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAONgVuLSz9U3MDIrM7TIAAAsMxqKDgAA AA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjK5NrTpN_fAhWSm-AKHcePAoAQmxMoATAfegQIBxAW) (OC/RB)

Education (https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GCEA_en&q=andy+ludwig+education&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAOPgE-LSz9U3MDIzT64s15LOTrbSL0jNL8hJBVJFxfl5VqkppcmJJZn5 eQAPLEC_KwAAAA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjK5NrTpN_fAhWSm-AKHcePAoAQ6BMoADAgegQIBxAZ): Bonneville High School (https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GCEA_en&q=Bonneville+High+School&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAOPgE-LSz9U3MDIzT64sV-IEsVPMLJLTtaSzk630C1LzC3JSgVRRcX6eVWpKaXJiSWZ-HgDyx0KzNgAAAA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjK5NrTpN_fAhWSm-AKHcePAoAQmxMoATAgegQIBxAa), Portland State University (https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GCEA_en&q=Portland+State+University&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAOPgE-LSz9U3MDIzT64sV-IEsQ3Ty5OztaSzk630C1LzC3JSgVRRcX6eVWpKaXJiSWZ-HgB8M0FvNgAAAA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjK5NrTpN_fAhWSm-AKHcePAoAQmxMoAjAgegQIBxAb), Snow College (https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GCEA_en&q=Snow+College&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAOPgE-LSz9U3MDIzT64sV-IEsc1NygyTtKSzk630C1LzC3JSgVRRcX6eVWpKaXJiSWZ-HgD2-TvuNgAAAA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjK5NrTpN_fAhWSm-AKHcePAoAQmxMoAzAgegQIBxAc)

UBlender
01-08-2019, 04:03 PM
I just heard from a friend who's never been wrong that the new OC will be...Andy Ludwig.

Yes, that sounds like a joke, and I have been making them. So I'll take all the ribbing in the world if I am wrong. But this guy is connected to the program and has now said I could post the info. He also told me Sarkisian is going to the Packers, where he'll make lots more than he could at Utah.

Your friend may just be a Utezone subscriber....

LA Ute
01-08-2019, 04:09 PM
Your friend may just be a Utezone subscriber....

Nah. But both he and UteZone probably heard it from the same source.

concerned
01-08-2019, 04:35 PM
This could be deja vu all over again.

Sullyute
01-08-2019, 04:46 PM
Fire Ludwig!!!! Should we start the thread already?

Edit: just saw that MRD already beat me to the joke.

Sullyute
01-08-2019, 04:54 PM
Historically it seems to me that Kyle has hired offensive coordinators he felt comfortable with, in the sense that they would not buck him. (This is not a dig at Kyle, I think most head coaches want that.) Now...if he really was serious about Rich Rod, then that would be a departure from that pattern, so your point is very intriguing. I don’t believe he would hire a hot shot from Oklahoma State, but I am prepared to be surprised and delighted.

So does LA Ute get a “swish!” On this take?

Mormon Red Death
01-08-2019, 05:04 PM
Bama meet each other with "Roll tide"... Michigan fans with "Go Blue".... Utah fans with "Fire Ludwig!"

Scorcho
01-08-2019, 05:07 PM
Nah. But both he and UteZone probably heard it from the same source.

I remember LA Ute having "Utah going to the PAC-12" about a week before anyone else. I trust his sources.

Mormon Red Death
01-08-2019, 05:09 PM
I feel like the big white guy here
https://twitter.com/AlaskanCourtney/status/1082639154909855744?s=19

LA Ute
01-08-2019, 05:50 PM
Maybe a make but not a swish. LA predicted that Whitt would be unwilling to hire someone outside of his circle. By all accounts, Whitt tried unsuccessfully to hire people outside of his circle, only to come back in the end to someone in his circle.

In fact, I hit nothing but net. This is the quintessential Whittingham OC hire. The swish was audible all the way from here in L.A.

LA Ute
01-08-2019, 05:51 PM
FWIW here’s how Vanderbilt’s offense did this past season.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/vanderbilt/2018.html

NorthwestUteFan
01-08-2019, 07:10 PM
Hurray. Now I won't need to give a single shit about football until the first game next year.

Ludwig will be decent, and I hope he is fantastic. But this sure doesn't move the excitement meter very much.

The good news is this hire should save us some money. Maybe we can get the stadium rebuilt sooner.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-08-2019, 11:05 PM
Hurray. Now I won't need to give a single shit about football until the first game next year.

Ludwig will be decent, and I hope he is fantastic. But this sure doesn't move the excitement meter very much.

The good news is this hire should save us some money. Maybe we can get the stadium rebuilt sooner.

I’m with you on this. He could be great but until Game 1, there’s nothing for me to be giddy about and if it ends up costing us the services of Harding, it seems like not enough benefit for the cost.

Utebiquitous
01-09-2019, 09:24 AM
Sancho,
Are you saying in point #4 that Taylor was reportedly hard to work with? I haven't heard that - not that I'm disagreeing. I've heard that Taylor struggled with Whit but it seemed to be more of Taylor not being prepared to be questioned and pressured. Hence, his desire to be a head coach even if it means returning to FCS. If he was difficult to work with that's new to me and explains even more the willingness on both sides to part ways.

Scorcho
01-09-2019, 09:51 AM
I've heard from multiple people that Sark had a great fondness for Salt Lake City while he was in college, particularly the Green Street Pub portion of Salt Lake City.

;)

LA Ute
01-09-2019, 09:56 AM
I’m happy with the Ludwig hire. He’s a known quantity who has succeeded in the last and is able to get along with KW — stayed longer than any other OC under Whitt. I’m not disappointed because I tried to keep realistic expectations. Ludwig could be just what we needed.

Scratch
01-09-2019, 10:07 AM
One thing that I like is that he should provide stability. At this point in his career, he's a college OC. He's not going to the NFL, and he's not going to become a head coach. If Utah wants to keep him, we should be able to keep him for as long as we want.

Rocker Ute
01-09-2019, 10:23 AM
This all kind of underscores for me that as fans we tend to be, as Mayor Quimby would put it, "a pack of fickle mush heads". I was among those dissatisfied with Ludwig at the time, and while I am not jumping for joy at his hiring, I think he can get the long wanted task of establishing an "average offense to pair with our elite defense." that will hopefully get us over the hump. So I am happy he is apparently back.

Looking back at all we've been through I wish he would have stayed on board all along, but his moving about the college football world has probably expanded his abilities quite a bit too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VplleMHgmDs

LA Ute
01-09-2019, 11:38 AM
...while I am not jumping for joy at his hiring, I think he can get the long wanted task of establishing an "average offense to pair with our elite defense" that will hopefully get us over the hump. So I am happy he is apparently back.

Yes.

Diehard Ute
01-09-2019, 11:39 AM
I've heard from multiple people that Sark had a great fondness for Salt Lake City while he was in college, particularly the Green Street Pub portion of Salt Lake City.

;)

Which is why he didn’t return. It’s been closed for years.

UBlender
01-09-2019, 04:32 PM
Based on rumors here and on Utah Twitter, these are some of the things I currently believe:

1) Whitt talked to a lot of people. We've already heard about Sark, Ludwig, Sanford Sr, RichRod, Detmer, and McCoy. How many did we not hear about? The fact that he talked to Detmer indicates to me that he was trying to talk to just about everyone.

2) We never had a shot with Sark. He strung us along as a backup plan until the NFL thing became solid. We can't compete with the money and prestige, and in some ways, an NFL coordinator is an easier job. Plus, he went to school in a very bizarre part of Utah. If he judges the entire state by that experience, the thought of living in SLC probably didn't give him warm fuzzies.

3) Whitt wants someone with experience calling games at a high level. He also wants someone with experience working with the type of offense and personnel we have right now. He knows we have a good team now. He can't afford to wait on some FCS guy to get his sea legs, and he can't afford to wait on a major overhaul of scheme.

4) Whitt wants someone who will get along with players and staff. In the carousel, he's had two guys who turned out to be hard to work with. One of them reportedly cost us our most heralded recruit of all time. He fired a players' coach in order to bring Taylor here, and he may regret that decision.

5) Ludwig was not our 1st or 2nd choice. Maybe not our 3rd or 4th. But he does have the experience necessary. He has worked with various types of offenses at a high level of college football. Presumably, he is also easy to work with.

So that's my story. Whitt ruled out FCS and DII right off the bat. Then he reached out to many (dozens?) of people across college football and the NFL to gauge interest and fit. After a few (2? 3?) failed attempts to hire someone, he settled on someone he knows. He wanted a splashier hire for recruiting purposes, but he at knows he landed an experienced playcaller.

Like I said, my story is based off of rumor only. Feel free to poke holes in it.

I think a lot of what you say makes sense. I just have to get one thing off my chest: there is a 0.0% chance that Utah was talking to Detmer about being the OC. Any contact between Utah and Detmer would have been to gauge his interest in working as QB coach under Harding as the OC. I'm sorry, I just can't abide the idea that Utah was interested in Detmer as OC after his offense at BYU was such a colossal failure. That BYU offense made Utah's ARod offenses look like the LA Rams.

Also, I can buy that Sark may have only viewed Utah as a backup plan. However, Utah has often been a backup plan for players and coaches who still come here when their other plans don't pan out and do quite well. I do think there was plenty of mutual interest between Sark and Utah.

Other names I've heard that you didn't list: Zak Hill of Boise State and Robert Anae, FWIW.

DrumNFeather
01-09-2019, 05:27 PM
I think a lot of what you say makes sense. I just have to get one thing off my chest: there is a 0.0% chance that Utah was talking to Detmer about being the OC. Any contact between Utah and Detmer would have been to gauge his interest in working as QB coach under Harding as the OC. I'm sorry, I just can't abide the idea that Utah was interested in Detmer as OC after his offense at BYU was such a colossal failure. That BYU offense made Utah's ARod offenses look like the LA Rams.

Also, I can buy that Sark may have only viewed Utah as a backup plan. However, Utah has often been a backup plan for players and coaches who still come here when their other plans don't pan out and do quite well. I do think there was plenty of mutual interest between Sark and Utah.

Other names I've heard that you didn't list: Zak Hill of Boise State and Robert Anae, FWIW.Ute nation would probably have a visceral reaction to Anae getting hired, but watching UVA's bowl game, he runs a lot of what I would think fans would want. Dynamic QB, power run game, athletic WRs and uses the TE.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-09-2019, 08:40 PM
His name has come up over the years when we've had openings. I've always been a fan.

Which makes this a rather curious Tweet.

SoCalPat
01-09-2019, 09:41 PM
Which is why he didn’t return. It’s been closed for years.

Please let’s get our closed-for-good legendary SLC bars straight. It was Port O’ Call. John Walsh tuned him into that scene.

NorthwestUteFan
01-09-2019, 10:16 PM

;)Yup. I met him at Port o' Call once.

Scorcho
01-10-2019, 08:34 PM
Utezone saying Ludwig is now official

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-10-2019, 10:12 PM
Damn.

This makes Anae coming back even more important.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-11-2019, 08:24 AM
Utah makes it official this morning.

https://utahutes.com/news/2019/1/10/football-andy-ludwig-hired-as-offensive-coordinator.aspx

LA Ute
01-11-2019, 11:12 AM
This is somewhat encouraging:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190111/8cc868bded5e11cd81f55dc2ecd5361e.jpg

Not sure of the source. One of my sons sent it to me.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-14-2019, 09:46 PM
Donavan Thompson has entered the transfer portal. Thought this would be a good year for him.

Applejack
01-15-2019, 07:23 AM
Donavan Thompson has entered the transfer portal. Thought this would be a good year for him.

By the way, has the transfer portal been a thing before? Great name, though: sounds like something from Star trek.

Diehard Ute
01-15-2019, 08:13 AM
By the way, has the transfer portal been a thing before? Great name, though: sounds like something from Star trek.

It’s new as of last year

UTEopia
01-15-2019, 09:11 AM

So those we know are: Mariner (WR), Grant (OL), Thompson (LB), Dixon (OL). I've heard there are 3 or 4 additional players who have entered their names but not made it public and several more contemplating doing so.

UtahsMrSports
01-15-2019, 09:27 AM
So those we know are: Mariner (WR), Grant (OL), Thompson (LB), Dixon (OL). I've heard there are 3 or 4 additional players who have entered their names but not made it public and several more contemplating doing so.

Another reason that Larry Krystkowiak should be fired.

UBlender
01-15-2019, 10:01 AM

Hart (LB/DE). Repp has also been reported. Also Rex Jordan (DE) is a medical retirement.

Let's all remember the portal is a new thing and some of these guys are definitely moving on while others may be experimenting to see who bites before they fully commit to transferring. I think you'll see some people (in general, not necessarily at Utah) enter the transfer portal before ultimately deciding to return to their original team.

Also, it should be the "transfer database" and the "transfer portal" should be the sci-fi means by which they travel to their new school.

UTEopia
01-16-2019, 11:43 AM
Hart (LB/DE). Repp has also been reported. Also Rex Jordan (DE) is a medical retirement.

Let's all remember the portal is a new thing and some of these guys are definitely moving on while others may be experimenting to see who bites before they fully commit to transferring. I think you'll see some people (in general, not necessarily at Utah) enter the transfer portal before ultimately deciding to return to their original team.

Also, it should be the "transfer database" and the "transfer portal" should be the sci-fi means by which they travel to their new school.

I wonder if the KW will allow a kid to test the transfer waters and then return. My guess is that he will not. Your either all in or in the way.

LA Ute
01-16-2019, 08:04 PM
Zack Moss passed on the NFL to 'be the best running back of all time' at Utah

https://www.ksl.com/article/46469916/zack-moss-passed-on-the-nfl-to-be-the-best-running-back-of-all-time-at-utah

LA Ute
01-18-2019, 06:45 AM
Leki Fotu getting some love.

Too-early college football 2019 All-America team

https://es.pn/2TWSzdr

LA Ute
01-19-2019, 11:02 PM
Couldn’t find a perfect fit for this, so here it is:

Scout QB to MVP: How Patrick Mahomes' 'redshirt' year and Alex Smith led to a historic season

https://sports.yahoo.com/scout-qb-mvp-patrick-mahomes-redshirt-year-alex-smith-led-historic-season-083412040.html

DrumNFeather
02-07-2019, 11:28 AM
Per Kyle on Bill's show:

Julian Blackmon has moved to Safety, and Bronson Boyd has moved to Corner.

Scorcho
02-11-2019, 02:58 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DzJ3DFgUYAAQNcA.jpg

x:)x

LA Ute
02-11-2019, 03:11 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DzJ3DFgUYAAQNcA.jpg

x:)x

Why the Dolphins helmet?

Signed,

Mr. Obtuse

DrumNFeather
02-11-2019, 03:46 PM
At some point we're gonna do an updated version of those Grey helmets...and they will look sweet!

UTEopia
02-12-2019, 10:17 PM
At some point we're gonna do an updated version of those Grey helmets...and they will look sweet!

The grey helmets are the first helmets I remember seeing as a boy. I remember that the team would go through a tunnel at the north end of the stadium to the old Einer Nielson and I would stand there and ask for chinstraps. Those were fun days. I remember sneaking down the backside of the east stands from GA to play games at the south end of the stadium.

LA Ute
02-15-2019, 01:16 PM
The North End Zone folks now will have to purchase Crimson Club membership to keep their seats. Seems fair to me. It will increase Crimson Club membership form just over 6,000 to over 8,000.

chrisrenrut
02-15-2019, 01:50 PM
The North End Zone folks now will have to purchase Crimson Club membership to keep their seats. Seems fair to me. It will increase Crimson Club membership form just over 6,000 to over 8,000.

I wonder if the CC donations are down with the tax law changes making the donations no longer tax deductible. This would be one way to help make some of that up.

I've seen a lot of beefing about the continued price increases. Many people are saying they are getting priced out. At some point, the cost is going to outweigh the demand. I hope the administration is getting good economic advice on how far they can push the increases.

Utebiquitous
02-15-2019, 03:11 PM
I can see why the U wants this but there is an everyman culture to the north endzone that may change. I'd hate to see that aspect of game day go away. I love having our "crazies" over there. Not only are they an incredible asset to the team when teams are buried at that end but they stir up the rest of us in key moments.

UTEopia
02-15-2019, 03:12 PM
I wonder if the CC donations are down with the tax law changes making the donations no longer tax deductible. This would be one way to help make some of that up.

I've seen a lot of beefing about the continued price increases. Many people are saying they are getting priced out. At some point, the cost is going to outweigh the demand. I hope the administration is getting good economic advice on how far they can push the increases.

My 4 tickets went up $232 this year. It will be interesting to see what happens when the stadium is expanded.

Scorcho
02-17-2019, 10:53 AM
nice recognition

https://247sports.com/college/utah/LongFormArticle/Texas-Longhorns-Florida-Gators-LSU-Tigers-Michigan-Wolverines-College-football-Playoff-debut-2019-129195736/

LA Ute
02-19-2019, 11:32 PM
Morning links: Utes’ quarterback situation rated the best in the Pac-12https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900056441/morning-links-utes-quarterback-situation-rated-the-best-in-the-pac-12.html

Sullyute
04-03-2019, 10:48 AM
ESPN is reporting that Jack Tuttle just got cleared by the NCAA to play at Indiana. Hoping that is good karma that Rising will get the same approval.

sancho
04-03-2019, 11:00 AM
ESPN is reporting that Jack Tuttle just got cleared by the NCAA to play at Indiana. Hoping that is good karma that Rising will get the same approval.

Do we want him eligible this season? Don't we want to save him and use Huntley/Shelley?

Scratch
04-03-2019, 11:02 AM
Do we want him eligible this season? Don't we want to save him and use Huntley/Shelley?

Nothing to save because he redshirted last year. In other words, he has eligibility to play through the 2022 season no matter what, the only question is whether he will be eligible to play this year or not.

sancho
04-03-2019, 11:06 AM
Nothing to save because he redshirted last year. In other words, he has eligibility to play through the 2022 season no matter what, the only question is whether he will be eligible to play this year or not.

Oh, that makes sense then. I hope he is granted eligibility.

concerned
04-03-2019, 11:08 AM

One difference is timing. Tuttle left in time to drop fall classes, so it is if he did not attend, I think.

Sullyute
04-03-2019, 12:52 PM
One difference is timing. Tuttle left in time to drop fall classes, so it is if he did not attend, I think.

That makes sense, I forgot when Tuttle left last year.

chrisrenrut
04-17-2019, 04:10 PM
Shyne lands at Texas Tech.

U-Ute
04-22-2019, 11:02 AM
Shyne lands at Texas Tech.

Gets to keep the red wardrobe.

Dwight Schr-Ute
05-06-2019, 04:04 PM
Jackson Cravens enters transfer portal. Bummer.

https://247sports.com/college/utah/Article/BREAKING-Jackson-Cravens-has-entered-the-transfer-portal-131828175/

UTEopia
05-07-2019, 03:36 PM
By my count, the Utes have had 16 (does not include Jackson Cravens) scholarship players leave the program who did not exhaust their eligibility and were on the 2018 roster. It has been debated in other threads whether those players were or were not expected to contribute. Whether they were or not, it leaves the Utes with roughly 74 scholarship players going into the 2019 season. I think they still have a couple of initials so that could increase by 2 or 3 between now and when camp opens. The Utes have 19 scholarship seniors, so it is going to take several years to increase the overall number of scholarships. Schools that get themselves into numbers problems typically do not do well. The lack of numbers this year might not hurt, but it will at some point.
As I look at the current roster, I see the following:
QB. Huntley's injury history suggests that he won't play the entire season. With Rising ineligible (has there been a decision?), we are 1 play away from Drew Lisk. I am not sure he is a D-1 player.
RB. No concerns. Still wish we had Shyne.
WR. I have concerns and we only have 10 scholarship players.
TE. No concerns.
OL. Plenty of concerns, numbers are fine, but there were a couple of classes that would be juniors and seniors right now that were not evaluated very well.
DT. I count 6. No concerns this year, but numbers going forward are a concern.
DE. 6, 3 with strong resumes but very young beyond those 3.
LB. Similar to DE.
S. Who is the safety opposite Blackmon? The other guys I have seen there are Burgess and Hubert. Our safeties are called on to make too many tackles to make it through a season without injury.
CB. We look good this year and there are a lot of young guys on the roster.
I think the Utes have the opportunity to be very good this year. Development of OL will be key. A factor frequently overlooked about the Sugar Bowl team is that the Utes started the same 11 on offense every game. Not sure about defense, but I cannot remember them losing anyone for the season. I don't think playing a PAC 12 schedule will allow the Utes to avoid injury, so is there enough depth at WR, OL, DE, LB and S to win a championship?

(https://247sports.com/college/utah/Board/105314/Contents/Do-the-Utes-have-PAC-12-Champion-depth-131853895//Edit)
(https://247sports.com/college/utah/PostVote.json)
(https://247sports.com/college/utah/PostQuote.json)

SeattleUte
05-07-2019, 03:44 PM
By my count, the Utes have had 16 (does not include Jackson Cravens) scholarship players leave the program who did not exhaust their eligibility and were on the 2018 roster. It has been debated in other threads whether those players were or were not expected to contribute. Whether they were or not, it leaves the Utes with roughly 74 scholarship players going into the 2019 season. I think they still have a couple of initials so that could increase by 2 or 3 between now and when camp opens. The Utes have 19 scholarship seniors, so it is going to take several years to increase the overall number of scholarships. Schools that get themselves into numbers problems typically do not do well. The lack of numbers this year might not hurt, but it will at some point.
As I look at the current roster, I see the following:
QB. Huntley's injury history suggests that he won't play the entire season. With Rising ineligible (has there been a decision?), we are 1 play away from Drew Lisk. I am not sure he is a D-1 player.
RB. No concerns. Still wish we had Shyne.
WR. I have concerns and we only have 10 scholarship players.
TE. No concerns.
OL. Plenty of concerns, numbers are fine, but there were a couple of classes that would be juniors and seniors right now that were not evaluated very well.
DT. I count 6. No concerns this year, but numbers going forward are a concern.
DE. 6, 3 with strong resumes but very young beyond those 3.
LB. Similar to DE.
S. Who is the safety opposite Blackmon? The other guys I have seen there are Burgess and Hubert. Our safeties are called on to make too many tackles to make it through a season without injury.
CB. We look good this year and there are a lot of young guys on the roster.
I think the Utes have the opportunity to be very good this year. Development of OL will be key. A factor frequently overlooked about the Sugar Bowl team is that the Utes started the same 11 on offense every game. Not sure about defense, but I cannot remember them losing anyone for the season. I don't think playing a PAC 12 schedule will allow the Utes to avoid injury, so is there enough depth at WR, OL, DE, LB and S to win a championship?

What about Jason Shelley?

concerned
05-07-2019, 04:05 PM
What about Jason Shelley?

I think he was referring to Shelley in "we are 1 play away." Assuming Huntley gets injured, we are 1 play away from Lisk.

SeattleUte
05-07-2019, 04:35 PM
I think he was referring to Shelley in "we are 1 play away." Assuming Huntley gets injured, we are 1 play away from Lisk.

So Huntley's not injured yet, we don't know if Rising is eligible, and regardless we're still two deep with experienced QBs who each started multiple games leading the team when the won the Pac 12 South last season.

Uteopia's is what I call a sky is falling post.

Am I the only one who's intrigued by Lisk?

UTEopia
05-07-2019, 05:29 PM
So Huntley's not injured yet, we don't know if Rising is eligible, and regardless we're still two deep with experienced QBs who each started multiple games leading the team when the won the Pac 12 South last season.

Uteopia's is what I call a sky is falling post.

Am I the only one who's intrigued by Lisk?

Two years of history tells me that the chances of Huntley playing every game are slim. I am not intrigued at all by Lisk. He was given a scholie a year ago because he was going to transfer to 1AA school. He is not a D-1 QB. I like Shelley. The reality is that if Rising is ineligible, we have 2 QB's. If we got to the point of playing Lisk, we might as well just snap the ball to Moss and add a fullback as an additional blocker. How's that for the sky is falling?

Just trying to generate some discussion.

concerned
05-07-2019, 05:32 PM
I hope and assume that Ludwig will run Huntley much less and differently that Troy Taylor did. I hope that reduces the risk of injury.

UTEopia
05-07-2019, 08:46 PM
I hope and assume that Ludwig will run Huntley much less and differently that Troy Taylor did. I hope that reduces the risk of injury.

I don't think he will have many designed runs, but I think Huntley was hurt scrambling on pass plays, not on designed runs.

concerned
05-07-2019, 09:31 PM
I don't think he will have many designed runs, but I think Huntley was hurt scrambling on pass plays, not on designed runs.

I hope he will have fewer option plays and will be discouraged from keeping the ball on every option, which seemed to be his tendency.

Applejack
05-08-2019, 08:26 AM
I share Uteopia's consternation about who is going to play safety this year. This has been a position that Whit has always stocked with talent, but I don't even know the names of our safeties other than Blackmon this year.

Dwight Schr-Ute
05-08-2019, 05:09 PM
I guess I can stop holding my breath now.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190508/e45e783778714a882d8ee92f1f156552.jpg

LA Ute
05-08-2019, 05:21 PM

Refresh my memory -- is this guy presumably headed to Utah? He needs to get academically qualified?

concerned
05-08-2019, 07:54 PM
Refresh my memory -- is this guy presumably headed to Utah? He needs to get academically qualified?

Yes. Yes.

UTEopia
05-08-2019, 08:33 PM
I share Uteopia's consternation about who is going to play safety this year. This has been a position that Whit has always stocked with talent, but I don't even know the names of our safeties other than Blackmon this year.

The other starter will be Terrell Burgess, who will also be a senior. Burgess backed up and played quite a bit last year. He will be fine. The guys behind them have not played any meaningful snaps.

UTEopia
05-13-2019, 07:37 PM
Kurt Kragthorpe ranked Utah's schedule according to 3 criteria: difficult, importance and intrigue. He had BYU at 7, 3 and 3. How do you see it.

Difficulty: @Washington, WSU, @USC, ASU, @BYU, @UA, UCLA, CU, Cal, N. Ill., @ Oregon St., Idaho St. I have BYU 5 because it is game 1 and on the road.
Importance: Pac 12 games, BYU, N. Ill., Idaho St.
Intrigue: @Washington, WSU, @USC, ASU, @BYU, @UA, UCLA, CU, Cal, N. Ill., @ Oregon St., Idaho St. I have BYU 5 because it is game 1 and on the road. If the BYU game was the last game of the season, it would pretty much mirror how I ranked importance.

sancho
05-13-2019, 08:05 PM
Importance: Pac 12 games, BYU, N. Ill., Idaho St.

Importance is an interesting one because it doesn't distinguish between short term and long term importance. Oregon State is hopefully more important for this season due to conference standings. On the other hand, the continued in-state dominance is more important than an Oregon State game when it comes to recruiting.

If we are going to compete for the division, I'd rather have any Pac-12 game than the BYU game. If we are not, I'd prefer a win over BYU to some of the lesser Pac-12 teams.

It's easy for me to talk about preferring this or that, but when we were going to lose to BYU this year, I was pretty unhappy about it. I still love to beat them and hate to lose to them.

stark2210
05-13-2019, 11:30 PM

Haha. It's fun. Have a nice day !

Dwight Schr-Ute
05-14-2019, 10:08 AM
Seems like an interesting addition. Kid has had a pretty serious concussion history, so not sure how this plays out.

Sullyute
05-14-2019, 10:44 AM
Seems like an interesting addition. Kid has had a pretty serious concussion history, so not sure how this plays out.

Interesting. I don’t believe he ever showed up to fall camp for UCLA. Hopefully he has matured and is ready for some blue collar football.

Applejack
05-14-2019, 06:04 PM
He was a phenomenal athlete, but never was a good football player. I hope that (and the concussion problems) magically change.

SeattleUte
05-15-2019, 11:56 AM
Will Mique be eligible this season?

Applejack
05-15-2019, 12:07 PM
Will Mique be eligible this season?

If he graduates this summer (then he'll be a grad transfer). Supposedly he's on track, but lots of things can happen.

concerned
05-15-2019, 12:24 PM
If he graduates this summer (then he'll be a grad transfer). Supposedly he's on track, but lots of things can happen.

From the article I read, I thought he has graduated already, maybe last week. That is why they announced it, I thought.

UTEopia
05-16-2019, 08:13 AM
Importance is an interesting one because it doesn't distinguish between short term and long term importance. Oregon State is hopefully more important for this season due to conference standings. On the other hand, the continued in-state dominance is more important than an Oregon State game when it comes to recruiting.

If we are going to compete for the division, I'd rather have any Pac-12 game than the BYU game. If we are not, I'd prefer a win over BYU to some of the lesser Pac-12 teams.

It's easy for me to talk about preferring this or that, but when we were going to lose to BYU this year, I was pretty unhappy about it. I still love to beat them and hate to lose to them.

Our main competition for in-State athletes seem to be other P5's. Yes, there are guys who choose between Utah and BYU, but that group is smaller now than it once was. Like it or not, we still compete against Oregon St. and Washington St. for recruits. It might be more important for recruiting to beat them than to beat BYU.

I was unhappy, but not like I would have been in other years. The comeback was one of the best I have ever witnessed. The other was against Arizona in the early 70's.

concerned
05-16-2019, 08:25 AM
Because it is the 1st game, to me BYU game has more importance this year. We are hoping for a championship run. Losing to them will really get the year off to a bad start. It can be overcome, but could affect subsequent confidence and performance.

UTEopia
05-16-2019, 08:44 AM
Because it is the 1st game, to me BYU game has more importance this year. We are hoping for a championship run. Losing to them will really get the year off to a bad start. It can be overcome, but could affect subsequent confidence and performance.

I am a little more concerned about losing because it is the 1st game. BYU's entire season rests on this game. They will tank if they lose. In the end, the outcome will be determined by the Utes. Play to potential and Utes will win.

UBlender
05-16-2019, 09:10 AM
I am a little more concerned about losing because it is the 1st game. BYU's entire season rests on this game. They will tank if they lose. In the end, the outcome will be determined by the Utes. Play to potential and Utes will win.

My biggest worry is the first game factor. Utah typically comes out sluggish in the first game, although to be fair it is usually an FCS opponent for whom the team is not very fired up.

Scratch
05-16-2019, 09:58 AM
I actually like the fact that it is the first game. Last year the team was not at all up for the BYU game, while BYU was. It was perhaps the trappiest trap in the history of trap games, at least for a legitimate rivalry. Utah had just locked up the South and was looking forward to the CCG. The team was playing so flat and uninspired it was shocking, especially compared to how BYU came out in that game. That shouldn't be an issue in the first game. The team won't have played anyone except for each other for eight months and will be fired up, especially after listening to the idiotic SLC media talk about how BYU almost won last year and could win this year. I expect them to come out much more fired up and ready to go than they have been in recent late-season games.

All that said, I am a little concerned about breaking in a new offense and having an O-line that hasn't really gelled yet, but all in all I think they'll be ready and much more fired up and ready to go than they have been for several years.

sancho
05-16-2019, 10:04 AM
All that said, I am a little concerned about breaking in a new offense and having an O-line that hasn't really gelled yet, but all in all I think they'll be ready and much more fired up and ready to go than they have been for several years.

Coming out fired up is great, but our first game issues are traditionally about rust and execution more than anything else. This is why you schedule an FCS team first (that, and it gives you an easy game to get offseason suspensions out of the way).

sancho
05-16-2019, 10:10 AM
Our main competition for in-State athletes seem to be other P5's. Yes, there are guys who choose between Utah and BYU, but that group is smaller now than it once was. Like it or not, we still compete against Oregon St. and Washington St. for recruits. It might be more important for recruiting to beat them than to beat BYU.

I place more value on in-state dominance than you do. I think recruits will see it the same way. Even for a kid deciding between Utah and OSU, the Utah in-state dominance is more important than the Utah/OSU game. If they are wanting to leave the state, they need a strong reason to stay. Utah being the talk of the town, Utah being the team that everyone roots for, Utah being a local contender for great things accomplishes that. We are the clear dominant program right now, and I want it to stay that way. Beating BYU is essential for that maintenance. Beating Wazzu is not.

So, again, if we need the WSU or OSU games to get to the Pac-12 title game, they are clearly more important. Otherwise, I think the BYU game is more important to our continued success. We want to be seen and the only serious football program in the state (like OSU or LSU).

Applejack
05-16-2019, 10:21 AM
From the article I read, I thought he has graduated already, maybe last week. That is why they announced it, I thought.

We are reading conflicting articles. Published a few weeks ago (https://www.dailynews.com/2019/03/07/mique-juarez-leaves-ucla-program-still-plans-return-to-football-despite-concussions/):

Juarez has about seven classes left before finishing his history degree and intends to graduate by next winter. Then he’ll officially close his UCLA tenure and pursue a grad transfer.

LA Ute
05-17-2019, 10:30 AM
Interesting article from College Football News:

Preview 2019: Utah. 5 Things You Need To Know, Season Prediction

https://collegefootballnews.com/2019/05/utah-football-preview-prediction-players-2019?fbclid=IwAR0c2dPXks-8MoSkXRdZMT5okoFni69OJzfDHx5mkKcv2C-gISe7jMQrdiY

This was a point I haven't seen made anywhere before:

Biggest Key To The Utah Defense

Don’t let running games get into a groove. This will be among the nation’s best run defenses again – good luck averaging more than four yards per carry against this bunch.

But it’s not just about the bulk yards against the Utes, because they won’t be there. It’s actually more about the attempts. Run it 40 times or more against them – meaning you have to stick with it, even if it’s not there – and it works.

Northern Illinois lost early on to the Utes, but they hung around in a 17-6 fight by grinding it out 43 times. Along with turnovers, the other key element in the four losses last year were rushing attempts, with
Washington (twice), ASU and Northwestern all running it 40 times or more. No one other than NIU was able to.

To take this one step further, Utah is 3-12 in its last 15 games when teams run the ball 40 times or more.

SoCalPat
05-20-2019, 10:04 AM
Coming out fired up is great, but our first game issues are traditionally about rust and execution more than anything else. This is why you schedule an FCS team first (that, and it gives you an easy game to get offseason suspensions out of the way).

We haven't lost a season-opening game against a P5 team at home since Arizona in 2000, and have gone 4-0 since. Our first-game issues deal more with not taking the opponent seriously and not putting too much physical investment into the game. Generally, we take FBS opponents very seriously if they happen to be in our first game.

UTEopia
05-20-2019, 10:23 AM
I actually like the fact that it is the first game. .

If we are required to play them every year, I would prefer it be in week 1 or 2 and never again at the end of the season.

stark2210
05-22-2019, 09:26 AM
This is very common thinking among Kyle fans. When we lose after a poor offensive showing, it is the OC‘s fault. When we win, it is because of Kyle. When we lose after a poor defensive showing, everyone looks at Scalley. When special teams screw up regularly, as they did this season, no one looks at the special teams coordinator (who happens to be the head coach, last time I checked). But Kyle hires all those guys.

He also oversees recruiting, so yes, we have players who do well in a power running scheme: Moss, Shyne, and a big, talented offensive line. So a scheme that emphasizes the power running attack that Kyle likes, and around which the offensive personnel are built, works for the Utes. As Uteopia has notes, Kyle says he wants a power running scheme with bruiser RBs, one that takes care of the football and has a quarterback who can make big plays. That’s great, and it has worked for us.

I am critical of Kyle for hiring OCs like Taylor who don’t want to run his system, and for the constant turnover in the OC spot since 2008 and the problems that creates. I am realistic about the fact that really talented WR recruits and QB recruits who like to pass generally aren’t going to find in Utah an attractive destination. There can be no doubt that opposing schools use Kyle’s offensive philosophy to recruit against us. And so on.

Kyle is the most successful and greatest coach we’ve ever had at Utah. He is who he is, and he has limits, and I hope he stays until he retires. I wouldn’t mind seeing him retire sooner rather than later, but I am am ardent fan of the program and of the University and I am going to be cheering for him as long as he in his job, but I cheer primarily for the school, not any particular coach or player. Still, now and then I am going to be critical of Kyle. He is not the perfect coach. What really bothers me is that so many here, and on other fan boards, see Kyle as a sacred cow and become indignant when he is criticized. I am still going to criticize him sometimes, and in doing so I am not criticizing Allah, an LDS prophet, or the Pope.

So there!

Totally agree with you.
Have a nice day all !

SeattleUte
05-22-2019, 10:06 AM
Totally agree with you.
Have a nice day all !

I don't know who the hell he's talking about. I defend Kyle, but I think assistant coaches are always overrated and rarely if ever save a program. The buck stops with the head coaches as far as I'm concerned. I started watching football when assistant coaches were hardly noticed, so maybe my view is skewed. But my point is that many or some of us who defend Kyle don't do what LA says we do.

UTEopia
05-22-2019, 10:15 AM
Are BYU players trolling the Utes (Zach Wilson a couple of weeks ago and Isaiah Kafusi today) on twitter in an attempt to get the Utes over hyped, are they trying to convince themselves of something or are they just trying to get their fans juiced? I'm always suspect of guys who talk the talk before walking the walk. I guess talk is all you have when you haven't done anything. The more they do it, the more I like it.

https://twitter.com/isaiah_kaufusi/status/1130843502236000259

UtahsMrSports
05-22-2019, 10:58 AM
I don't know who the hell he's talking about. I defend Kyle, but I think assistant coaches are always overrated and rarely if ever save a program. The buck stops with the assistant coaches as far as I'm concerned. I started watching football when assistant coaches were hardly noticed, so maybe my view is skewed. But my point is that many or some of us who defend Kyle don't do what LA says we do.

You choosing to quote and argue with a bot is .y favorite thing today.

SeattleUte
05-22-2019, 12:33 PM
You choosing to quote and argue with a bot is .y favorite thing today.

I'm arguing with LAUte, the quote.

You should stay in your lane. This is the football forum.

concerned
05-22-2019, 12:44 PM
I'm arguing with LAUte, the quote.

You should stay in your lane. This is the football forum.

You mean LA Ute is not a bot? Who knew?

LA Ute
05-22-2019, 12:55 PM
I don't know who the hell he's talking about. I defend Kyle, but I think assistant coaches are always overrated and rarely if ever save a program. The buck stops with the assistant coaches as far as I'm concerned. I started watching football when assistant coaches were hardly noticed, so maybe my view is skewed. But my point is that many or some of us who defend Kyle don't do what LA says we do.

I posted that months ago. You've been trolled by a bot. You revere Kyle and brook no criticism of him. Everyone knows that. Anyway, I'm happy with Kyle now and have nothing more to say about that subject.

SeattleUte
05-22-2019, 02:33 PM
You mean LA Ute is not a bot? Who knew?

I reverse engineered LAUte's algorithm a long time ago. His approach is to try to kill you by a zillion paper cuts. Passive aggressive. If he's not one of the best at it I've seen, he's the most relentless and single method.

LA Ute
05-22-2019, 03:06 PM
I reverse engineered LAUte's algorithm a long time ago. His approach is to try to kill you by a zillion paper cuts. Passive aggressive. If he's not one of the best at it I've seen, he's the most relentless and single method.

You're just envious of my skill set.

sancho
05-22-2019, 03:44 PM
I posted that months ago. You've been trolled by a bot.

I've wondered at times if Seattle is a bot. Maybe this is a bot fight.

SeattleUte
05-23-2019, 09:25 AM
I've wondered at times if Seattle is a bot. Maybe this is a bot fight.

This joke was told in other forms two times already.

Rocker Ute
05-23-2019, 09:28 AM
This joke was told in other forms two times already.

Maybe Sancho is a joke telling bot.

LA Ute
05-23-2019, 10:29 AM
Maybe Sancho is a joke telling bot.

No. Only a bot could search multiple forums and determine the number of times a joke has been made. The SU bot has unwittingly incriminated itself.

SeattleUte
05-23-2019, 02:43 PM
No. Only a bot could search multiple forums and determine the number of times a joke has been made. The SU bot has unwittingly incriminated itself.

Forms not Forums. The jokes were in this thread.

LA Ute
05-23-2019, 02:54 PM
So you’re a pretty limited bot. You can search only a single forum.

concerned
05-24-2019, 01:12 PM
Saw a tweet that Rising is eligible this year, but haven't seen any ocnfirmation. Am I out of the loop?

LA Ute
05-24-2019, 02:39 PM
Saw a tweet that Rising is eligible this year, but haven't seen any ocnfirmation. Am I out of the loop?

Inspired by this rumor, I looked around and found nothing about it.

UtahsMrSports
05-24-2019, 02:53 PM

You probably saw "ScottyP30".........hes been claiming this for a while and also claims he has inside sources. Who knows. The UZ guys refuted his claim a couple of weeks ago, saying that it was still up in the air and the coaches didn't even know. I suspect that is still the case. (What does it benefit anyone to keep such information a secret?)

Dwight Schr-Ute
06-13-2019, 10:48 PM
Jackson Cravens was officially announced to be transferring to Boise State today. Between him and Langi, that’s two defensive players that Utah would have liked that ended up in Western Idaho. What’s the story on Cravens? He’s Whittingham’s nephew and a legacy kid and bolts after one season? Weird.

LA Ute
06-13-2019, 11:04 PM
Jackson Cravens was officially announced to be transferring to Boise State today. Between him and Langi, that’s two defensive players that Utah would have liked that ended up in Western Idaho. What’s the story on Cravens? He’s Whittingham’s nephew and a legacy kid and bolts after one season? Weird.

My utter speculation is that they realized they probably would not play. Could that be?

Dwight Schr-Ute
06-14-2019, 11:21 AM
My utter speculation is that they realized they probably would not play. Could that be?

Maybe it’s that simple. I think Langi wanted to step a little out of the Utah-BYU rivalry. I know people were high on Jackson but given the talent on the defensive line, maybe he was looking for earlier playing time.

chrisrenrut
06-17-2019, 11:20 AM
Petition for Rising’s immediate eligibility is denied.

Diehard Ute
06-17-2019, 12:17 PM
Petition for Rising’s immediate eligibility is denied.

As ColoUte said on Twitter, guess he should have claimed he was bullied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dwight Schr-Ute
07-09-2019, 01:52 PM
Utes add another TE in SMU transfer Hunter Thedford. Hunter comes in with a stat line of 3 catches for a total of 36 yards.

Scratch
07-09-2019, 01:58 PM
He's a 6'6" 260 pounder who is primarily a blocker who is presumably just coming in to add a bit of depth after Jake Jackson left. With his size he could probably fit in well with certain packages. He also played DE at SMU for a couple of years, so he may be added depth there. Hopefully we never need him on that side of the ball.

SeattleUte
07-09-2019, 05:43 PM
Utes add another TE in SMU transfer Hunter Thedford. Hunter comes in with a stat line of 3 catches for a total of 36 yards.

We don't have any room for horseshit attitudes, nattering nabobs of negativity, in the football forum.

LA Ute
07-11-2019, 07:48 AM
We don't have any room for horseshit attitudes, nattering nabobs of negativity, in the football forum.

But there still some room for an effete corps of impudent snobs?

(I am referring to no one here. Just playing with SU.)

SoCalPat
07-16-2019, 11:14 AM
It's always about the quarterback at Utah. Always. I could go on and on with statistics backing this up, but most of you already know this. We didn't get over the hump in 2015 because Travis Wilson largely stagnated -- his junior year was easily his best year, as a senior he was only marginally better than he was as a freshman and worse as a sophomore. He was flat-out horrible over the final five games of 2015 -- his dropoff could only be chalked up to be hurt, on drugs or on the take, it was that significant.

We will not win the South if we get similar "production" from Tyler Huntley. He cannot afford to be as good as he's been the previous two years. He needs to be better. More consistent. His career PER is 139. To put that in perspective, he's one spot below Terrence Cain, one spot ahead of Brett Ratliff all-time at Utah (lest you forget, both of these QBs were benched at some point during their Utah careers). He's had 13 games against Pac-12 teams and has surpassed his career mark in all of 6 games, 5 if you don't count Arizona as a sophomore, in which he was injured and left the game early. He had never put together back-to-back games where his PER surpassed his career mark until Stanford-Arizona-USC last year. Don't forget, his last two games -- UCLA, Arizona State -- were not good at all.

I'm bullish on this year because I think Andy Ludwig can get Tyler over the hump, an experienced OC that Travis never had the luxury of learning from. We've seen Tyler at his best -- I'm optimistic that we can see that on a more consistent basis. He will need to step up and be The Man when teams are loading the box to stop Moss. And really, Tyler's had only one game like that -- the infamous timeout game at UW in 2016.

That game, plus USC last year, have shown Tyler can be an all-Pac-12 QB. He certainly has the ability. He's been tested physically more than any QB ever at Utah, and with that should come a huge amount of mental maturity. Everything is lined up for Tyler to have a big year and join the list of truly great Utah QBs. A season that results in the same or less as last year almost means Tyler didn't improve, and he'll be just another QB that Utah had that showed flashes of promise, but never the consistency needed to achieve anything truly meaningful.

Many believe Tyler has arrived, but I strongly disagree. He should be approaching this season with a chip on his shoulder and a blank slate about the past, because he's essentially achieved very little as it pertains to team success.

Dwight Schr-Ute
07-16-2019, 02:32 PM
Pre-season watch lists have been released.

Maxwell Award (Player of the Year) - Zack Moss

Bednarik Award (Defensive Player of the Year) - Bradlee Anae and Jaylon Johnson

Lott IMPACT Trophy - Jaylon Johnson

https://utahutes.com/news/2019/7/15/football-2019-utah-preseason-watch-list-tracker.aspx?fbclid=IwAR2udrwZDxODjbJ4_CFjbXsoYdOQ uTaeeLVsSALkiJuQE6jSzR9fhraV36Y

Dwight Schr-Ute
07-22-2019, 07:52 PM
Full 2019 Media Guide.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/utahutes.com/documents/2019/7/22/2019_Utah_Football_Media_Guide_web.pdf

DrumNFeather
07-24-2019, 10:12 AM
Utes picked to win the South. Ducks picked to win the North. Utes edge out the Ducks for the vote to win the league.

Full media poll:

North

Oregon 190 - 17 FPV
Washington 189 - 17 FPV
Stanford 129
Wazzu 108 - 1 FPV
Cal 81
Oregon St. 38

South

Utah 206 - 33
USC 167 - 2
ASU 118
UCLA 118
Arizona 85
Colorado 46

Sullyute
07-24-2019, 10:51 AM
I hope Whitt is calling Urban on how to motivate your team when you are not the underdog and you are every teams Super Bowl. #highexpectations

sancho
07-24-2019, 12:09 PM
Utes picked to win the South. Ducks picked to win the North. Utes edge out the Ducks for the vote to win the league.

We've become the trendy team to pick. It's a little over the top. Looking at talent, UW, Oregon, and USC all have far better recruits than we do. Probably ASU and Stanford too. I like our coaching and our experience at key positions, but we are not runaway better than those teams.

LA Ute
07-24-2019, 02:27 PM
I hope Whitt is calling Urban on how to motivate your team when you are not the underdog and you are every teams Super Bowl. #highexpectations

I hope so too. The Utes have not fared well when favored. I am nervous about all the Kool-Aid being sloshed around.

UTEopia
07-24-2019, 08:11 PM
I just read that Whit stated that Urban is scheduled to visit the Utes sometime during Fall camp.

Dwight Schr-Ute
07-28-2019, 09:05 AM
KSL did their season preview last night. 20 minutes of interviews, hype video and predictions. I love August but I’m itching for some football.

https://youtu.be/1NjrQKcohXY

U-Ute
07-30-2019, 02:47 PM

Full media poll:

North

Oregon 190 - 17 FPV
Washington 189 - 17 FPV
Stanford 129
Wazzu 108 - 1 FPV
Cal 81
Oregon St. 38

South

Utah 206 - 33
USC 167 - 2
ASU 118
UCLA 118
Arizona 85
Colorado 46

Some wonk on Twitter pointed out that the vote total for the Utes meant that two people voted Utah 3rd or 4th in the south.

Dwight Schr-Ute
07-30-2019, 08:32 PM

So it begins.

Dwight Schr-Ute
07-30-2019, 10:09 PM
Confirmation. https://247sports.com/college/utah/Article/BREAKING-Manny-Bowen-no-longer-with-the-football-team-134059613/

sancho
07-30-2019, 10:14 PM
Confirmation. https://247sports.com/college/utah/Article/BREAKING-Manny-Bowen-no-longer-with-the-football-team-134059613/

Joe Williams, part II. It's gonna be sweet.

Sullyute
07-31-2019, 08:08 AM
Dang, that is a huge loss. A spot that was going to be a strength now becomes a potential liability. I hope Lloyd is ready to step up.

U-Ute
07-31-2019, 08:54 AM
"Oh no! Brett Elliott is out for the season and now we're stuck with his backup -- what's his name? Alan, Alex Somethingorother..."

Dwight Schr-Ute
07-31-2019, 09:43 PM

Sullyute
08-01-2019, 08:26 AM
Great update. Please keep posting those.

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-01-2019, 07:57 PM

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-01-2019, 08:23 PM
Good one stop shop for interviews from practice today.

Sullyute
08-02-2019, 12:51 PM
Thanks again for posting those. Quick take away...

*glad to hear that Huntley has put on 25 pounds. Should make him a little now durable.

*love the humility of Anae, seems like a really good kid.

*i had no clue who Kiel McDonald was before that interview. I really him.

*Kyle will retire before Utah ever plays Arkansas.

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-03-2019, 11:01 AM

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-03-2019, 11:04 AM

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-03-2019, 11:06 AM
Coach Harding

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-03-2019, 11:17 AM
Julian Blackmon

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-03-2019, 10:11 PM

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-03-2019, 10:13 PM

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-03-2019, 10:16 PM
Imagine all the Utah punters came from Australia.

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-03-2019, 10:18 PM

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-04-2019, 12:23 AM
A good one stop shop for ESPN 700 post practice interviews.

https://espn700sports.com/interviews/stay-up-to-date-at-utah-fall-camp-here/

Sullyute
08-05-2019, 09:08 AM

I could watch that throw and catch all day!

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-05-2019, 10:53 AM
I could watch that throw and catch all day!

Me too. Mostly because I'd be afraid to keep watching as he would have been downed at the 5 yard line and we'd have to settle for a not guaranteed chip shot field goal.

U-Ute
08-05-2019, 12:37 PM
Utah's offensive line getting better thanks to stellar defensive line
https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900082575/utahs-offensive-line-getting-better-thanks-to-stellar-defensive-line.html

The most interesting bit of the article was this though:

One player who could become a starter is Bamidele Olaseni, a 6-foot-7, 330-pound JC transfer from Garden City (Kansas), who is expected to arrive on campus Wednesday after completing some academic work. Both Whittingham and Harding have indicated it's not a sure thing he'll be ready by Wednesday, but once he does come in, Olaseni could quickly get on the field for the Utes.

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-05-2019, 03:01 PM

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-05-2019, 06:13 PM

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-06-2019, 01:05 PM

Sullyute
08-06-2019, 05:16 PM
:rave:

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-13-2019, 02:30 PM
Utes Equipment teased with this year's throwback to the '66 and '67 seasons that will be worn for the UCLA game in November.

sancho
08-13-2019, 03:25 PM
Utes Equipment teased with this year's throwback to the '66 and '67 seasons that will be worn for the UCLA game in November.

Looks like there's no black! Two color is really the way to go for us.

Red/white with one black/white per year. It's so easy and obvious.

I saw an athlon uniform ranking a couple weeks ago that put us at 9th in the Pac-12. And it was right. Just drop to two colors, and we immediately jump to 5th or 6th.

UTEopia
08-13-2019, 07:54 PM

I remember those uniforms.

chrisrenrut
08-13-2019, 08:02 PM
Looks like there's no black! Two color is really the way to go for us.

Red/white with one black/white per year. It's so easy and obvious.

I saw an athlon uniform ranking a couple weeks ago that put us at 9th in the Pac-12. And it was right. Just drop to two colors, and we immediately jump to 5th or 6th.

That helmet is silver, possibly the pants too. So there is your 3rd color. We'll be mistaken for Thetm Ohio St

sancho
08-13-2019, 09:16 PM
That helmet is silver, possibly the pants too. So there is your 3rd color. We'll be mistaken for Thetm Ohio St

Bummer. So simple but they just don't get it.

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-13-2019, 09:27 PM

Here’s a picture of the originals. The Ohio State didn’t wear a silver helmet until 1969, so we did it first.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190814/b4980b83c1977efbe971eef47b3d1720.jpg

Sullyute
08-14-2019, 09:43 AM
I love all the new and retro uniform combinations. Super fun for the fans and players.

mUUser
08-14-2019, 10:03 AM
Here’s a picture of the originals. The Ohio State didn’t wear a silver helmet until 1969, so we did it first.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190814/b4980b83c1977efbe971eef47b3d1720.jpg

Those are sweet. :football:

DrumNFeather
08-14-2019, 10:36 AM
Can you imagine how great the NCAA Football video game would be now with all these uniform combos?

Applejack
08-15-2019, 10:58 AM
Mufi Hunt, a high four star recruit from Brighton (I think), has announced he is transferring from Michigan State to the U. He's walking on.

The Eastern Time Zone Curse strikes again for Utah high school football.

LA Ute
08-15-2019, 12:18 PM
Mufi Hunt, a high four star recruit from Brighton (I think), has announced he is transferring from Michigan State to the U. He's walking on.

The Eastern Time Zone Curse strikes again for Utah high school football.

Another big boy. I hope he adds to our embarrassment of riches on the DL. He can play immediately this season.

https://247sports.com/college/utah/Article/BREAKING-Former-Michigan-State-DL-Mufi-Hunt-to-walk-on-at-Utah-134474448/

Applejack
08-15-2019, 01:16 PM
Another big boy. I hope he adds to our embarrassment of riches on the DL. He can play immediately this season.

https://247sports.com/college/utah/Article/BREAKING-Former-Michigan-State-DL-Mufi-Hunt-to-walk-on-at-Utah-134474448/

Yeah, but I'm not sure he'll play; his career has been one injury after another.

U-Ute
08-15-2019, 02:15 PM
First Miami steals "The U" and now Ohio State steals our uniforms.

When will these hangers on stop trying to steal our stuff?

Sullyute
08-16-2019, 05:27 AM
First Miami steals "The U" and now Ohio State steals our uniforms.

When will these hangers on stop trying to steal our stuff?

:applause:

Applejack
08-16-2019, 11:25 AM
More football talk, please! You can even talk about not scheduling the Y anymore, firing Whittingham, Manny Bowen's can't miss business opportunity, etc. I need some football talk!

DrumNFeather
08-16-2019, 11:29 AM
More football talk, please! You can even talk about not scheduling the Y anymore, firing Whittingham, Manny Bowen's can't miss business opportunity, etc. I need some football talk!

Less than two weeks away from Game #1 :rave::highfive::jig::football:

Applejack
08-16-2019, 12:17 PM
Less than two weeks away from Game #1 :rave::highfive::jig::football:

DnF gets it!!!

first game greatness:

https://youtu.be/1FmYl7i2xJ0

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-17-2019, 12:06 AM
A couple of walk-ons were given scholarships the last two days.

(Zach Moss and his cast are front and center for this video!)

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-17-2019, 04:10 PM
And another one today.

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-19-2019, 02:57 PM
Not sure where's a good place to talk about this, but football season starts next week. The preseason AP poll came out today and had Utah ranked #14 team in the country. Seems like we could have a pretty talented squad put together this year. Other teams of interest in the poll: Oregon #11, Washington #13, Washington State #23, and Stanford #25.

Sullyute
08-19-2019, 07:42 PM
Not sure where's a good place to talk about this, but football season starts next week. The preseason AP poll came out today and had Utah ranked #14 team in the country. Seems like we could have a pretty talented squad put together this year. Other teams of interest in the poll: Oregon #11, Washington #13, Washington State #23, and Stanford #25.

The ACC has only two teams in the AP25. Not sure why the PAC12 gets so much heat, when outside Clemson, the ACC is terrible.

sancho
08-19-2019, 09:10 PM
The ACC has only two teams in the AP25. Not sure why the PAC12 gets so much heat, when outside Clemson, the ACC is terrible.

Reputations are built on titles, and the ACC has won them recently. When conferences are judged, only the top matters.

UTEopia
08-19-2019, 09:55 PM
Reputations are built on titles, and the ACC has won them recently. When conferences are judged, only the top matters.

Clemson will once again demolish the ACC. We know somebody from the SEC will get into the Playoff. Ohio St. and Oklahoma are both ranked ahead of all PAC teams. Oregon plays Auburn, Stanford plays Northwestern, UCF and Notre Dame, ASU plays Michigan St. and USC plays ND. Unfortunately, I don't see anybody with a schedule that is going to get them into the Playoff unless that team has one fewer loss than the other conference winners.

LA Ute
08-20-2019, 09:24 AM
One question I will be hoping to see answered very soon is whether this team has the killer instinct. Will they put opposing teams away early?

sancho
08-20-2019, 09:28 AM
One question I will be hoping to see answered very soon is whether this team has the killer instinct. Will they put opposing teams away early?

I hope if happens often, but, really, how many teams on our schedule are teams we should be putting away early? 2? 3?

LA Ute
08-20-2019, 02:53 PM
I hope if happens often, but, really, how many teams on our schedule are teams we should be putting away early? 2? 3?

I'm mainly interested in keeping the gas pedal down and not letting up if we get a 10-14 point lead. But since you asked, I think we could put away these teams early:

BYU
Northern Illinois
Idaho State
Oregon State
Cal
Colorado

From what I've heard, Cal might even be a trap game.

sancho
08-20-2019, 03:50 PM
I'm mainly interested in keeping the gas pedal down and not letting up if we get a 10-14 point lead. But since you asked, I think we could put away these teams early:

BYU
Northern Illinois
Idaho State
Oregon State
Cal
Colorado

From what I've heard, Cal might even be a trap game.

We could put anyone away early. No one expected us to rout Oregon in 2015, but we sure did. In general, though, we aren't a team that is built for blowouts. I expect plenty of close games. I do think we generally do a good job of deciding when to press an advantage and when to run clock. I can't count how many times I've seen teams blow leads by trying to extend rather than sitting on the ball. I've also seen plenty of games lost by sitting on the ball rather then pressing an attack. I guess that's why the coaches make the big bucks.

I've also been thinking of Cal as a potential trap game.

LA Ute
08-20-2019, 05:54 PM
We could put anyone away early. No one expected us to rout Oregon in 2015, but we sure did. In general, though, we aren't a team that is built for blowouts. I expect plenty of close games. I do think we generally do a good job of deciding when to press an advantage and when to run clock. I can't count how many times I've seen teams blow leads by trying to extend rather than sitting on the ball. I've also seen plenty of games lost by sitting on the ball rather then pressing an attack. I guess that's why the coaches make the big bucks.

I've also been thinking of Cal as a potential trap game.

BTW, I don't want to discount the Month of October last season. We blew out Stanford, Arizona, USC and UCLA in succession. It was glorious. I hope we see more of that this year. I don't want style points, and margin of victory is not important except for BYU fans in the 1980s (and in the pre-flop Crowton years). But I don't like getting up 10 points and then changing the offensive plan. I don't recall seeing that last season either.

chrisrenrut
08-20-2019, 08:11 PM
BTW, I don't want to discount the Month of October last season. We blew out Stanford, Arizona, USC and UCLA in succession. It was glorious. I hope we see more of that this year. I don't want style points, and margin of victory is not important except for BYU fans in the 1980s (and in the pre-flop Crowton years). But I don't like getting up 10 points and then changing the offensive plan. I don't recall seeing that last season either.

We actually did a good job last year overcoming slow starts. We were behind at the end of the first quarter in 5 of our wins last year (including Weber St and Northern Illinois).

DrumNFeather
08-21-2019, 12:33 PM
Mel Kiper's big board features no Utes, but his positional rankings feature Zach Moss (#2 Senior RB), Bradlee Anae (#5 Senior DE), Jaylon Johnson (#4 Underclassmen CB), and Julian Blackmon (#2 Senior Safety).

U-Ute
08-21-2019, 03:00 PM
Odasini (#73). Yassman (#87) for scale (6'5", 260 pounds).

UTEopia
08-23-2019, 08:35 PM
Freshman RB Jordan Wilmore has been receiving a lot of hype. After watching him, the only concern I have is that the length of his forearm does not appear long enough to lock the ball in place which makes it much easier for defenders to create fumbles.

LA Ute
08-24-2019, 10:11 AM
Look who Lee Corso has in his final 4. I’m not drinking the Kool Aid but it’s nice to see the Utes noticed.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190824/eecfd8e9791fd39a065a2a4e0d7f8c2f.jpg

Sullyute
08-24-2019, 10:33 AM
I am starting to get a little worried about living up to all this hype. I hope Ludwig and crew are up for the challenge.

chrisrenrut
08-24-2019, 11:06 AM
Look who Lee Corso has in his final 4. I’m not drinking the Kool Aid but it’s nice to see the Utes noticed.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190824/eecfd8e9791fd39a065a2a4e0d7f8c2f.jpg

Holy $#!+!!! That would be a dream. It's been 10 years since the Sugar Bowl, it would be nice to have a special season again.