PDA

View Full Version : Lowering Arizona - The Wildcats and Sun Devils Come to Town

DrumNFeather
02-12-2019, 08:55 AM
Utah has gone 4-4 in its last 8 games, losing 2, then winning 2, then losing 2, and winning 2. Conventional wisdom would suggest that the Arizona schools could come in and get a road sweep...but after both being handled by WSU, and PVD playing the role of Jimmy Chitwood, they both might be ripe for losses this week.

The Utes have been road warriors as of late, but their home court has held very little advantage, going 2-3 in league play so far, and most recently having been swept by the Oregon schools.

At present, Utah is tied with ASU in the standings at 7-4, but owns a head to head tiebreaker. However, if ASU were to win and even it up at 1-1, they would have a tiebreaker with their win over Washington last week, though Utah gets a shot at the Huskies on the road next week.

Utah also holds a 2 game lead over Arizona in the standings, and a win this week could push them safely down the standings.

Huge stakes for our beloved Utes this week.

concerned
02-12-2019, 09:06 AM
Utah has gone 4-4 in its last 8 games, winning 2, then losing 2, then winning 2, and losing 2.

Wrong order. if this were correct, i would be slashing my wrists instead of ordering my FF tickets for next year.

Scratch
02-12-2019, 09:10 AM
Can anyone explain to my why every team that has a minimal amount of depth and a minimal amount of athleticism doesn't come out with a full-court press from the outset of every game against Utah? I mean, I'm glad that they don't, but we a complete train wreck against the press. I'd be curious to know what our overall point differential is against the press this year.

sancho
02-12-2019, 09:14 AM
Can anyone explain to my why every team that has a minimal amount of depth and a minimal amount of athleticism doesn't come out with a full-court press from the outset of every game against Utah? I mean, I'm glad that they don't, but we a complete train wreck against the press. I'd be curious to know what our overall point differential is against the press this year.

I sat and wondered the same thing last week vs the LA schools. And not just a press - a tight man-to-man defense. After OU and OSU killed us in man, USC and UCLA happily played zone against us. I guess some teams are just completely dedicated to one style. Works if you're Syracuse...seems foolish otherwise.

DrumNFeather
02-12-2019, 09:17 AM
Wrong order. if this were correct, i would be slashing my wrists instead of ordering my FF tickets for next year.

Well, you get the idea though! :)

Old Standing ute
02-12-2019, 05:28 PM
Hard to decide who (or is it whom) I dislike more---Sean Miller who had no knowledge his assistants were paying players & forging transcripts, or
Bobby Hurley who is a whiner & total idiot on the floor--not the bench because he never sits down.??

DrumNFeather
02-13-2019, 09:23 AM
Listened to both the coaches show and Larry's weekly presser. Apparently Jayce made some comment after the game about being on the road and staying in a hotel, etc., that gets the guys closer and helps them focus, so Larry & Co. will be putting the team up in a hotel this weekend. Here's hoping it results in a W.

DrumNFeather
02-13-2019, 11:13 AM
Utah is 1-14 against Arizona since joining the Pac 12...must win? Arizona isn't wounded very often. Would be nice to get this one.

sancho
02-13-2019, 11:23 AM
Utah is 1-14 against Arizona since joining the Pac 12...must win? Arizona isn't wounded very often. Would be nice to get this one.

Yes, it would be nice. It's not a must win, though, since we don't have a chance at an at-large bid.

UTEopia
02-14-2019, 02:09 PM
Listened to both the coaches show and Larry's weekly presser. Apparently Jayce made some comment after the game about being on the road and staying in a hotel, etc., that gets the guys closer and helps them focus, so Larry & Co. will be putting the team up in a hotel this weekend. Here's hoping it results in a W.

Football team stays in hotel at home and on road. Always assumed basketball team did as well.

Mormon Red Death
02-14-2019, 06:59 PM
Alright let's do this!

Mormon Red Death
02-14-2019, 07:44 PM
Barefield is a no show tonight. He can't hit a fat man in the ass with a bag of sand

sancho
02-14-2019, 07:52 PM
Barefield is a no show tonight. He can't hit a fat man in the ass with a bag of sand

Morley can make up for that.

sancho
02-14-2019, 08:12 PM
Our zone is not slowing them down at all.

sancho
02-14-2019, 08:51 PM
Our zone is not slowing them down at all.

We started getting stops as soon as I posted this.

Mormon Red Death
02-14-2019, 09:09 PM
Amen. I would love for the azholes to be the 10th seed

SoCalPat
02-14-2019, 09:49 PM
Yes, it would be nice. It's not a must win, though, since we don't have a chance at an at-large bid.

Was absolutely a must-win. You kick programs like Arizona when they're down, regardless of our fate. Glad for PVD, Jayce and Larry -- easily the three faces you see when you check the definition of Whipping Boy in your reference manual of choice.

Old Standing ute
02-14-2019, 10:01 PM
The Headband dominated Jeter.
Timmy Allen was everywhere—-how good will he be in 2-3 years?

Utes in 2nd place?!?

LA Ute
02-14-2019, 10:28 PM

Utes in 2nd place?!?

I'm trying to remember the last Ute who was as good at getting to the hole and finishing as Timmy Allen. Not to mention shooting free throws. A deadly combination. I guess Andre Miller.

SeattleUte
02-14-2019, 10:50 PM

Utes in 2nd place?!?

We really should be 12-0 in this conference this season. It’s outrageous that we aren’t. Three of those losses were at home, the fourth against this terrible Arizona team.

chrisrenrut
02-14-2019, 11:00 PM
We really should be 12-0 in this conference this season. It’s outrageous that we aren’t. Three of those losses were at home, the fourth against this terrible Arizona team.

You are the Gordon Monson of message boards. Most of your posts are hyperbolic and inflammatory.

We start 3 freshman, and our sixth man is a sophomore. We aren’t Kentucky or Duke, our young guys aren’t one-and-dones. These guys are progressing, but no one should expect perfection from a team with this much youth and inexperienced.

Scratch
02-15-2019, 10:00 AM

Utes in 2nd place?!?

Is that a haiku?

Old Standing ute
02-15-2019, 02:47 PM
Inspired by the Headband.

Mormon Red Death
02-16-2019, 08:22 PM
SMH....pac12 refs.

sancho
02-16-2019, 08:53 PM
This is a must win for ASU, and it shows. They came out with a lot of energy on both ends.

sancho
02-16-2019, 09:00 PM
SMH....pac12 refs.

So bad.

Mormon Red Death
02-16-2019, 09:01 PM
So he's in the cylinder so it's ok to elbow him in the face?

sancho
02-16-2019, 09:05 PM
So he's in the cylinder so it's ok to elbow him in the face?

A normal person would feel embarrassed to go to the monitor and see that he blew a call. But referees are probably so used to making mistakes that they are numb to it.

chrisrenrut
02-16-2019, 09:08 PM
This is a must win for ASU, and it shows. They came out with a lot of energy on both ends.

They can’t keep up their torid 3 point shooting. If we can improve rebounding and keep turnovers under control, we’ll win the 2nd half and the game.

sancho
02-16-2019, 09:49 PM
Basketball at its best is breathtaking. Basketball at its worst is torture. This 2nd half has been hard to watch.

I know there's plenty of time left, but this game has never felt like it was meant to be.

LA Ute
02-16-2019, 11:34 PM
With 4:07 left in the second half, we had made exactly 2 field goals in the half. I don’t remember ever seeing anything like that with a Utah team.

We simply got outplayed. Maybe it was a matter of quickness, but we were unable to prevent them from getting open looks at three-point shots. Also, time after time they simply took the ball into the paint, muscled to the basket, and scored. Through a strange combination of luck and being in the right place at the right time, I was able to sit on the floor for this game and watch that muscling in the paint up close.

I didn’t see the game we had against them in Tempe, so I’m left wondering how we won there.

Gach, Allen, and Battin are good building blocks for the future. Lahat is supposed to be special. We’ll see. Still, I can’t shake the feeling that we just don’t have the athletes we need to have to compete with the other teams in our conference.

sancho
02-17-2019, 07:33 AM
I didn’t see the game we had against them in Tempe, so I’m left wondering how we won there.

Lahat is supposed to be special.

Barefield and Tillman both had career nights in tempe, and asu shot like they normally do.

This is the first time I've heard Lahat described as special. My understanding is that we hope he may be a good interior defender and rebounder.

LA Ute
02-17-2019, 08:13 AM
Barefield and Tillman both had career nights in tempe, and asu shot like they normally do.

This is the first time I've heard Lahat described as special. My understanding is that we hope he may be a good interior defender and rebounder.

True. I saw the stats for the first half during halftime. They shot about 61% during the first half last night from three-point range, and we shot 38%, which is quite respectable. I could not understand why they got so many open looks, however. When they are shooting that well, you’d think we would try harder to at least get in their way. Most of those open looks seemed to happen when we were in a zone. They also succeeded in keeping Van Dyke and Barefield from getting open looks. All of that seem to be a matter of their quickness over ours. But it was not just long-range shooting. They out-scored us in the paint in the first half, 12 to 4. In the second half they scored almost at will in the paint. Despite all that, we were able to keep the game within 10 points or so throughout, and got to close as 5 points. Strange game.

Mark Harlan told a group of us Lahat will be special. Don’t know why.

sancho
02-17-2019, 08:29 AM
When they are shooting that well, you’d think we would try harder to at least get in their way. Most of those open looks seemed to happen when we were in a zone.

We just aren't a good defensive team. Our zone gives up open shots, and our man to man is worse. Any team that is shooting well is going to tear us apart.

You are right about the last ten minutes. Reminded me of the Nevada game with that Martin guy driving over and over again.

LA Ute
02-17-2019, 09:25 AM
We just aren't a good defensive team. Our zone gives up open shots, and our man to man is worse. Any team that is shooting well is going to tear us apart.

You are right about the last ten minutes. Reminded me of the Nevada game with that Martin guy driving over and over again.

It was just an off night all around. We missed 16 free throws. Or maybe ASU's free throw defense was just superb. :rolleyes:

Old Standing ute
02-17-2019, 02:49 PM
Az St only has 1 senior--Cheatam, who is good. They could be a force, although Dort may only be there this year & maybe next.

I have seen Lahat in practice---he can run, jump, block shots, and is always around the ball---(but his range currently is about 5'), he looks like a player who would normally be at Oregon. Not sure if he plays the 5 or 4.?

sancho
02-17-2019, 03:31 PM
Az St only has 1 senior--Cheatam, who is good. They could be a force, although Dort may only be there this year & maybe next.

I have seen Lahat in practice---he can run, jump, block shots, and is always around the ball---(but his range currently is about 5'), he looks like a player who would normally be at Oregon. Not sure if he plays the 5 or 4.?

If he can play defense and rebound, he will be a great addition. I'm excited to see him play.