PDA

View Full Version : March Madness thread

The Thrill
03-09-2019, 08:57 AM
I didn't see a March Madness thread which is something this forum desperately needs

Some conference tournaments have already began and teams are playing well into the night for a chance at the big dance. I saw that a WCC game will end around 3am Eastern time due to daylight savings. Crazy!

For 25 years I’ve met up with buddies and taken the first and second days of the NCAA tournament off to watch games, still going to this day. Only one year I couldn’t, had to quit that job, that's just unacceptable. I typically bounce around from places each year, TWC is great, BWW is ok except one year I had to beg them to change it away from Ellen to live games plus I hung out with Loyter that year by accident.

One year I sat with Moses Scurry from the 1990 UNLV team that dominated, yes he was one of the guys from the hot tub photo. A few years ago I was checking out the scene of first round games downtown and a scalper gave me a great deal on lower bowl seats, the games had already begun so he was dumping them. I sat by Rachel Nichols from ESPN for Northwestern and Vanderbilt, game of the tournament. In the past we used to go to Wendover but missed most of the games due to sitting at the blackjack table, still fun though. I remember watching Utah vs Arizona in 1998 in Las Vegas with some of my BYU fan friends. Great memory.

I’ll be doing it again this year. Filling out probably 23 brackets in hopes one of them does well or perfect, it would be nice to retire. Probably some wing joint or dive bar with some buddies. Maybe running into somebody I didn’t plan on. I love it.

I’d like to read some of your NCAA tournament traditions. What places do you go or things you’ve been a part of for the tournament? People you've encountered. It’s almost here!

sancho
03-10-2019, 10:23 AM
I wish I had your traditions, Thrill. I just watch every year, as much as I possibly can. I used to fill out a bracket, but I've stopped thinking seriously about it in recent years. Now I just take Duke all the way every year. I don't like any conflict in my heart when I root for a cinderella.

chrisrenrut
03-10-2019, 10:32 PM
Every year I tell myself that I'll take Thursday and Friday off for the first round, and just binge the whole day. But work always gets in the way. March seems to be a busy month. And i usually have 5 days of PTO I have to take off before March 15th, which is in time for the PAC-12 tournament, but not for the NCAA's.

Mormon Red Death
03-11-2019, 08:00 AM
I’d like to read some of your NCAA tournament traditions. What places do you go or things you’ve been a part of for the tournament? People you've encountered. It’s almost here!

This isnt the NCAA tournament per se but this will be the 7th year in a row of going to vegas for the Pac12 tournament. I get together with old friends and (now brothers are tagging along) and have a good time going to all the games and such. I plan to keep this tradition for as long as they keep doing the conference tournament.

through the years we've encountered a lot of interesting characters. Last year we had a trangendered Az fan in front of us. She was was really nice and love college basketball. back when the tourney was in the mgm grand we sat next to these great UCLA fans whose son was back up qb for the bruins. We also met Dakari Tucker's dad one year and had great conversation. Two Utes knows the coaches on Utah's team and one of the assistants fairly well and he stopped to talk with us last year while we were eating lunch.

DrumNFeather
03-11-2019, 08:19 AM
Every year I tell myself that I'll take Thursday and Friday off for the first round, and just binge the whole day. But work always gets in the way. March seems to be a busy month. And i usually have 5 days of PTO I have to take off before March 15th, which is in time for the PAC-12 tournament, but not for the NCAA's.

I've done this the last couple of years and let me tell you...it is incredible and I highly recommend it. This year, it falls during my kids Spring Break, so we'll be in Utah and actually go to the games in SLC, so it should be fun.

sancho
03-12-2019, 10:31 AM
March madness starts now!

ACC tournament is under way.

DrumNFeather
03-12-2019, 02:02 PM
March madness starts now!

ACC tournament is under way.

Wofford's win last night probably helps the bubble teams, as UNCG is likely to not get in.

sancho
03-12-2019, 09:16 PM
Saint Mary's steals a bid by winning the WCC tourney. If enough of the other very good teams perform well in their conference tournaments, I would hope Gonzaga loses their 1-seed.

The ACC could get two 1-seeds between UVa, UNC, and Duke. The SEC could get one from Tennessee or Kentucky. The Big10 could get one from MSU.

sancho
03-13-2019, 11:46 AM
Great game going on right now. Clemson was up 20+ vs NCState in a bubble elimination game. Now State is up 1 with 4 minutes to go. I'm snowed in today (everything in Denver seems to have closed), and I'm starting Madness binging early.

Scorcho
03-13-2019, 12:34 PM
Great game going on right now. Clemson was up 20+ vs NCState in a bubble elimination game. Now State is up 1 with 4 minutes to go. I'm snowed in today (everything in Denver seems to have closed), and I'm starting Madness binging early.

not judging but a certain Daniels on the Wolfpack finished 2-9 with 5 points

sancho
03-13-2019, 12:44 PM
not judging but a certain Daniels on the Wolfpack finished 2-9 with 5 points

The pack got bailed out by a pretty bad call at the end of the game. A good reminder that the officials typically play as much of a role as the players in March.

sancho
03-14-2019, 11:21 AM
Hope you are all in a place to watch basketball today. Lots of bubble teams in close games right now.

DrumNFeather
03-14-2019, 12:56 PM
Hope you are all in a place to watch basketball today. Lots of bubble teams in close games right now.

I gotta say...I'd probably rather see Belmont, UNCG, and some of these other mid-majors over a 15 loss Indiana team or NC State squad.

sancho
03-14-2019, 01:18 PM
I gotta say...I'd probably rather see Belmont, UNCG, and some of these other mid-majors over a 15 loss Indiana team or NC State squad.

Sure, it's fun to see upsets and cinderellas. I don't want to reach a point where we use a "most entertaining" criteria over a "best team" criteria for the tournament, though. Do your best to pick the best teams, and let the cinderellas happen naturally.

DrumNFeather
03-14-2019, 03:32 PM
Tim Miles and his Nebraska Cornhuskers have beaten Rutgers and now Maryland, essentially with 7 guys. Wisconsin up next.

sancho
03-15-2019, 05:21 PM
The bracketologists still have Gonzaga as a 1-seed based on computer rankings and the eye test. The Zags finished 2-2 vs at-large worthy teams, with 3 of the 4 games being very close (and one of the wins against another potential 1 seed in Duke). They finished 28-1 vs teams that are not at-large worthy, with the 1 loss at least coming against a team that probably would have made the NIT.

It's hard to compare that kind of resume to a team that has played 15-20 games against the bubble or better.

DrumNFeather
03-15-2019, 10:42 PM
Looks like the winner of the A-10 is going to steal a bid with VCU getting knocked out today and none of the other teams being locks.

Likewise, if either Memphis or Wichita St. wins the American, that would be a stolen bid.

If Bowling Green beats Buffalo tomorrow, that's a stolen bid.

SDSU over USU/Fresno winner could steal one.

New Mexico st. is currently 43 in the NET, so if they were to lose to UVU/Grand Canyon, they would be a bubble team.

Should be an exciting Saturday.

sancho
03-16-2019, 10:52 AM
The bracketologists still have Gonzaga as a 1-seed based on computer rankings and the eye test. The Zags finished 2-2 vs at-large worthy teams, with 3 of the 4 games being very close (and one of the wins against another potential 1 seed in Duke). They finished 28-1 vs teams that are not at-large worthy, with the 1 loss at least coming against a team that probably would have made the NIT.

It's hard to compare that kind of resume to a team that has played 15-20 games against the bubble or better.

I think the 1 seed scenarios are really interesting, so I'll harp on it some more.

There are 6 deserving teams: Gonzaga, Duke, UNC, UVa, MSU, and whoever wins between Kentucky/Tennessee. The interesting part, though, is how inbred their schedules are:

Gonzaga beat Duke. Duke beat Kentucky, UNC, and UVa. UNC beat Duke and Gonzaga. UVa beat UNC. Kentucky beat UNC and Tennessee. Tennessee beat Kentucky and Gonzaga.

The only disconnected school in the mix is MSU, but they have more Q1 wins than anyone.

You can make a strong case for any of them. Gonzaga falls short on volume, but they sure do look good. UVa has only lost to two teams this season, and they were both top 15 teams.

Scorcho
03-16-2019, 05:43 PM
Utah State is fun to watch. Sam Merrill is a terrific player. I'm green with envy.

DrumNFeather
03-16-2019, 05:55 PM
Utah State is fun to watch. Sam Merrill is a terrific player. I'm green with envy.

It'll be interesting to see how long Craig Smith is there. Were I Wazzu, I'd make a run at him.

sancho
03-16-2019, 06:01 PM
It'll be interesting to see how long Craig Smith is there. Were I Wazzu, I'd make a run at him.

If I were Craig Smith, I would jump at just about any P5 job...except WSU.

sancho
03-16-2019, 06:07 PM

Merrill is good, and from the few games I've seen, Queta is just as important to that team's success.

sancho
03-17-2019, 06:27 PM
Merrill is good, and from the few games I've seen, Queta is just as important to that team's success.

USU/UW should be good. Thybulle vs Merrill. UW has bigs to counter Queta. Winner gets to lose to the Tar Heels.

sancho
03-18-2019, 09:20 AM
Computers say the East region is the toughest.

According to ESPN BPI, these are the most likely upsets at each seed line:

1/16 Iona over UNC at 1.8%
2/15 Colgate over Tennessee at 5%
3/14 Yale over LSU at 20.2%
4/13 Vermont over FSU at 25%
5/12 Murray State over Marquette at 33.3%
6/11 Saint Mary's over Villanova at 38.3%
7/10 Florida over Nevada at 43.5%
8/9 Oklahoma over Ole Miss at 54%

sancho
03-18-2019, 11:04 AM
My thoughts on first year of NET: I think they should make NET transparent, and the committee should rely more heavily on it. There shouldn't be much guessing when it comes to seeding or inclusion, and everyone should know the rules ahead of time. Take the decisions out of the committee's hands.

I think it's very strange that St John's is in the tournament with a NET in the 70s when there are teams left out with NET in the 30s.

Scorcho
03-18-2019, 02:18 PM
not sure if this means anything other than a below average year, but Utah went 1-8 vs. teams in the Big Dance and 1-1 vs. teams in the NIT

DrumNFeather
03-18-2019, 09:22 PM
My thoughts on first year of NET: I think they should make NET transparent, and the committee should rely more heavily on it. There shouldn't be much guessing when it comes to seeding or inclusion, and everyone should know the rules ahead of time. Take the decisions out of the committee's hands.

I think it's very strange that St John's is in the tournament with a NET in the 70s when there are teams left out with NET in the 30s.

Agree.

It's hard to reconcile a team like NC State having a NET of 33 and the 353rd SOS in the country. How are both of those things possible? NC State being in the ACC, I suppose. But yes...I think teams need to know and be really clear on how to calculate that formula and understand exactly what a win or a loss means on their NET.

sancho
03-18-2019, 09:36 PM
Agree.

It's hard to reconcile a team like NC State having a NET of 33 and the 353rd SOS in the country. How are both of those things possible? NC State being in the ACC, I suppose. But yes...I think teams need to know and be really clear on how to calculate that formula and understand exactly what a win or a loss means on their NET.

NCState's SOS is 49. The pack was punished for a bad OOC SOS, which is a meaningless stat for judging quality of a team. This is why the committee can't rely on entirely on computer metrics. They don't necessarily want the best teams; they also need to use the tournament as a carrot for Nov and Dec scheduling. If they didn't have that carrot, there would be almost no incentive to make college basketball watchable before conference play.

mUUser
03-22-2019, 10:53 AM
https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900061743/band-aide-theres-a-reason-why-fairleigh-dickinsons-pep-band-looked-an-awful-lot-like-utahs.html?utm_source=ksl&utm_medium=referrer

Ha! Well done, "Fairleigh Dickinson". Well done....

sancho
03-22-2019, 02:23 PM
https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900061743/band-aide-theres-a-reason-why-fairleigh-dickinsons-pep-band-looked-an-awful-lot-like-utahs.html?utm_source=ksl&utm_medium=referrer

Ha! Well done, "Fairleigh Dickinson". Well done....

I was at the game, and my brother and Dad wondered about this.

UBlender
03-22-2019, 08:06 PM
After the UW-USU game ended I watched the rest of the Liberty game. My whole family was in the room and I was doing other things so my attention wasn't great. The game was almost over before I realized that Liberty was coached by none other than Dancin' Richie McKay. That was a blast from the past. I had not thought of that name in a long, long time. Now I hope to see one of these random teams coached by Dale Layer next.

Where's mpfunk at?

sancho
03-24-2019, 10:08 AM
One game winning buzzer beater so far in this tournament (only two attempted buzzer beaters total). Only two potential cinderellas left (Liberty and Irvine). Been an unusually drama-free dance so far. The lack of big upsets means the 1 seeds will have to earn their way.

Gonzaga has introduced a new way to win in basketball. You have the one-and-dones like Duke and Kentucky. You have the teams that find success with four year starters (Villanova), and you have the hybrids (UNC). Now, Gonzaga is in the same conversation with those schools, and they are built on transfers and foreigners. Of the 9 players in their regular rotation, 3 are foreign, and 3 are transfers.

sancho
03-24-2019, 04:43 PM

Irving Washington
03-24-2019, 05:40 PM
We almost had another BIG buzzer beater. So close, twice.

sancho
03-24-2019, 05:42 PM
Duke dodges a bullet. It's a shame they don't have outside shooting. There's no way they can win this tournament without it.

Big calls in the last minute - questionable charge, replay fail, push off on an offensive rebound. Always happy for referees to play their part.

sancho
03-24-2019, 05:44 PM
We almost had another BIG buzzer beater. So close, twice.

Yeah, good to finally have some drama in the tournament.

Maybe Johnnie Dawkins should get P5 offers.

sancho
03-24-2019, 09:37 PM
Sweet 16:

5 ACC teams (Duke, Carolina, UVa, FSU, VaTech)
4 SEC teams (Kentucky, Tennessee, Auburn, LSU)
3 Big10 teams (MSU, Mich, Purdue)
1 Big 12 team (Texas Tech)
1 Pac 12 team (Oregon)
2 Mid Majors (Houston, Gonzaga)

All of the 1, 2, and 3 seeds (only the second time ever in the modern era of the tournament). Two of the 4 seeds. One 5 seed. Only one double digit seed. Zero cinderellas.

Duke vs VaTech. The Hokies won in the regular season.
Michigan St vs LSU. I love how the media doubted that LSU would be able to play well because of losing their coach.
Gonzaga vs FSU. Zags get revenge for last year. I don't think the noles can keep it close.
Texas Tech vs Michigan. Neither team has really had to break a sweat yet. Seems like a great game.
UVa vs Oregon. Oregon is the poor man's Virginia. Ducks won't be able to score.
Purdue vs Tennessee. I want upsets in tournaments, but when they don't happen, I get lots of these great games.
UNC vs Auburn. Heels or Zags? Which is the most loaded team in the tournament?
Houston vs Kentucky. Always feels weird to say Go Cougars, but here we are.

sancho
03-28-2019, 02:53 PM
The NCAA has a March Madness "day in the life" ad that is pretty harmless, but actual pampered athletes are whining about how it fails to convey how hard their lives are. These guys have no idea how good they have it. Scholarships, tutors, travel, free gear, instruction, friendship, fans. I feel like they should watch a day in the life of a single parent community college student with English as a second language.

sancho
03-28-2019, 07:29 PM
This game is nuts! I can't remember the last time I saw a shooting display like this one from Cline.

concerned
03-29-2019, 09:38 AM
I hadnt thought about it in this way, but this is an amazing stat. What has happened to the Pac 12? If Gonzaga wins Saturday, it will have more than the entire conference. so do several of the mid-major conferences

Jon Wilner Retweeted Jon Wilner
Should add: UCLA didn't so much as make the Elite Eight

Jon Wilner added,
Pac-12 finishes the decade with one Final Four appearance (Oregon '17). UCLA and Arizona need to get the stuff together.

sancho
03-29-2019, 10:01 AM
I hadnt thought about it in this way, but this is an amazing stat. What has happened to the Pac 12? If Gonzaga wins Saturday, it will have more than the entire conference. so do several of the mid-major conferences

I think SoCal reminded us a few months ago just how weak the Pac-12 has traditionally been in basketball outside of UCLA and Arizona. There just isn't much tradition at any of the other schools. If those two schools are down, the Pac-12 is going to struggle.

Arizona definitely had a few final four worthy teams, but they never quite made it.

Gonzaga is definitely the top dog in the west right now. They are loaded, and they seem to reload with transfers and Euros every offseason.

I am optimistic about the conference in the future because teams are recruiting very well. I hope Utah can wriggle its way into the upper tier of the conference as things get established.

concerned
03-29-2019, 10:09 AM
I think SoCal reminded us a few months ago just how weak the Pac-12 has traditionally been in basketball outside of UCLA and Arizona. There just isn't much tradition at any of the other schools. If those two schools are down, the Pac-12 is going to struggle.

Arizona definitely had a few final four worthy teams, but they never quite made it.

Gonzaga is definitely the top dog in the west right now. They are loaded, and they seem to reload with transfers and Euros every offseason.

I am optimistic about the conference in the future because teams are recruiting very well. I hope Utah can wriggle its way into the upper tier of the conference as things get established.

what is depressing is that we are trying to 'wriggle" our way into the top half of a conference that, on the whole, sucks. We really shouldn't have to wriggle; we should be there most every year.
We have more tradition than anyone outside UCLA and Arizona. And the conference has to double the number of teams in the tourney.

sancho
03-29-2019, 10:25 AM
what is depressing is that we are trying to 'wriggle" our way into the top half of a conference that, on the whole, sucks. We really shouldn't have to wriggle; we should be there most every year.
We have more tradition than anyone outside UCLA and Arizona. And the conference has to double the number of teams in the tourney.

I agree, and I'm afraid our window is going to close. We needed to establish ourselves as a top dog while everyone else was down.

snafu
03-29-2019, 10:26 AM
All we need is one team to get nationally relevant on a more consistent basis similar to Gonzaga. Really that team should be UCLA most every year given their advantages. Of course it would be nice if Utah could be that kind of program again.

sancho
03-29-2019, 10:48 AM
All we need is one team to get nationally relevant on a more consistent basis similar to Gonzaga. Really that team should be UCLA most every year given their advantages. Of course it would be nice if Utah could be that kind of program again.

That would be good for UCLA, or whoever it is. But look at the WCC - Gonzaga's success doesn't have a trickle down effect.

concerned
03-29-2019, 11:19 AM
That would be good for UCLA, or whoever it is. But look at the WCC - Gonzaga's success doesn't have a trickle down effect.

The best thing that ever happened to Gonzaga is that Few has stayed. The real question is whether the success is Gonzaga's or Few's. I would be surprised if Gonzaga can sustain it after Few retires/leaves. I bet their experience will be more like ours after Majerus.

Applejack
03-29-2019, 12:26 PM
The best thing that ever happened to Gonzaga is that Few has stayed. The real question is whether the success is Gonzaga's or Few's. I would be surprised if Gonzaga can sustain it after Few retires/leaves. I bet their experience will be more like ours after Majerus.

Nah, they'll just promote Giacoletti and things will be fine. That dude can coach!

snafu
03-29-2019, 01:43 PM
Nah, they'll just promote Giacoletti and things will be fine. That dude can coach!

Of course, the first two gigs didn't work out so well but no sweat. You got this Ray!

concerned
03-29-2019, 03:28 PM

\
I forgot about that. Their experience could REALLY be like ours after Majerus. Now if they can just get Kerry Rupp on an interim basis from OSU.

UBlender
03-29-2019, 04:07 PM
\
I forgot about that. Their experience could REALLY be like ours after Majerus. Now if they can just get Kerry Rupp on an interim basis from OSU.

I know we're doing #jokes here but I did read something on The Ringer this week about Gonzaga and Few and it said that another guy on their staff is basically "coach-in-waiting." It wasn't Ray or Donnie....somebody named Lewis if I remember correctly.

sancho
03-29-2019, 04:11 PM
I know we're doing #jokes here but I did read something on The Ringer this week about Gonzaga and Few and it said that another guy on their staff is basically "coach-in-waiting." It wasn't Ray or Donnie....somebody named Lewis if I remember correctly.

The staff is Few, Daniels, Tommy Lloyd, and Brian Michaelson. The Google says that Tommy Lloyd is the coach in waiting. Someone should poach him like Mike Hopkins. I think he probably has a long time to wait unless Few takes a job somewhere else.

Irving Washington
03-29-2019, 06:02 PM
The question is what's the half life of tradition these days? We had tradition from 1944 through 1998. Wouldn't surprise me if our tradition is gone for high schoolers. We have to start over.

concerned
03-29-2019, 06:08 PM
The question is what's the half life of tradition these days? We had tradition from 1944 through 1998. Wouldn't surprise me if our tradition is gone for high schoolers. We have to start over.

Agreed. We have to start over. But the potential fan base is there. The difference is we have to compete with the jazz and the nba.

sancho
03-29-2019, 07:30 PM
Down go the Heels. I think they were the deepest and most talented team in the tournament. Gonzaga now the most loaded. Duke still the most fun (and the best player in the tournament).

sancho
03-29-2019, 10:05 PM
Wow, what a choke. VT runs the perfect inbounds play, misses the gimmie, and Duke survives again. MSU vs Duke on Sunday. The only possible match up in this tournament that would be bigger is Duke/Kentukcy.

sancho
03-29-2019, 10:17 PM
And we're set:

2 ACC teams (Duke, UVa)
2 SEC (Kentucky, Auburn)
2 Big10 (MSU, Purdue)
1 Big12 (TTech)
1 Mid Major (Gonzaga)

Gonzaga vs TTech (the only two teams in the elite eight that have not yet been challenged)
UVa vs Purdue (if I'm UCLA, I make an offer to the winner)
Duke vs MSU (the bracket was designed to give us this game)
Kentucky vs Auburn (big cats all over the place)

sancho
03-30-2019, 04:19 PM
Third game in a row that Gonzaga gets the opposing big man in foul trouble in the first few minutes of the game. Vital for Baylor, the 7'4" guy for FSU, and now Okiase for Texas Tech.

sancho
03-30-2019, 06:23 PM
Third game in a row that Gonzaga gets the opposing big man in foul trouble in the first few minutes of the game. Vital for Baylor, the 7'4" guy for FSU, and now Okiase for Texas Tech.

Heck of a game, and I'm happy to see the Zags bow out. I'd be happy to see Duke, TTech, Purdue, UVa, or Auburn win this thing. Just no Kentucky or MSU. Pretty good odds.

sancho
03-30-2019, 06:27 PM
This whole season, people have been talking about where Chris Beard will coach next season. With a Final Four at TTech, maybe he just stays? Unless he doesn't like Lubbock, which would be understandable.

hostile
03-30-2019, 06:46 PM
This whole season, people have been talking about where Chris Beard will coach next season. With a Final Four at TTech, maybe he just stays? Unless he doesn't like Lubbock, which would be understandable.
Follows Leach to Wazzu?

SoCalPat
03-30-2019, 07:41 PM

Beard left UNLV after 10 days because he loves Lubbock and has major ties to the region and school — most notably his two daughters from his ex-wife live there.

sancho
03-30-2019, 07:44 PM
Beard left UNLV after 10 days because he loves Lubbock and has major ties to the region and school — most notably his two daughters from his ex-wife live there.

Wow, I guess someone has to love Lubbock. Seems likely he stays, then.

sancho
03-30-2019, 09:06 PM
Another great night of basketball. What a game. That pass off the missed FT must be the greatest play in UVa sports history. So many big shots in that game.

Purdue did that thing that drives me crazy. Down 1 with 30 seconds left, they run the clock down to 5 before taking and missing a shot. Shoot fast and extend the game! Why do teams do that so often?

sancho
03-30-2019, 09:11 PM
Foul down three fails Purdue. How many times have we seen that strategy fail this season?

SeattleUte
03-31-2019, 08:56 AM

Are you kidding. Have you been to Gonzaga? It’s 1000% Few. There, like at Utah, at Texas Tech, Purdue, etc., it’s the coach.... It always is.

concerned
03-31-2019, 11:59 AM
Are you kidding. Have you been to Gonzaga? It’s 1000% Few. There, like at Utah, at Texas Tech, Purdue, etc., it’s the coach.... It always is.

Of course it is the coach, Capt. Obvious. The question is can Gonzaga replace Few. Some schools can, and maintain their preeminence. I'm saying Gonzaga probably can't. Their experience will be like Utah replacing Majerus or UNLV replacing Tarkanian. Even when UNLV hired a good coach, they lost him to Oklahoma or TT.

sancho
03-31-2019, 02:40 PM
I'm saying Gonzaga probably can't.

It's luck of the draw on the first coach to replace the legend. If the replacement is good and if the replacement inherits something good, the transition can be seamless. I think in our case, we were already in decline with Majerus, we didn't have a stocked cupboard, and we hired a dud. It all went wrong...wrong enough to bury our program.

sancho
03-31-2019, 02:43 PM
Auburn should have lost to New Mexico State, and now they're in the Final Four. UVa should have lost to Purdue. Duke should have lost to UCF (but deserved to beat Va Tech), and hopefully the Devils join the rest.

SeattleUte
03-31-2019, 03:25 PM
It's luck of the draw on the first coach to replace the legend. If the replacement is good and if the replacement inherits something good, the transition can be seamless. I think in our case, we were already in decline with Majerus, we didn't have a stocked cupboard, and we hired a dud. It all went wrong...wrong enough to bury our program.

We had a stocked cupboard. You’re just wrong. That’s why Giacometti took them to the Final Four. We had the best player in the country and good supporting players. Imagine what that team could have accomplished with Majerus.

Also, what is this decline nonesense. Even the great coaches like Izzy and the great Coach K have off years and stretches. With Majerus an NCAA bid and even usually a win or two were all but guaranteed.

sancho
03-31-2019, 03:29 PM
We had a stocked cupboard. You’re just wrong. That’s why Giacometti took them to the Final Four. We had the best player in the country and good supporting players. Imagine what that team could have accomplished with Majerus. Also, what is this decline nonesense. Even the great coaches like Izzy and the great Coach K have off years and stretches. With Majerus an NCAA bid and even usually a win or two were all but guaranteed.

You're right. I forgot about that Giacoletti Final Four. But, yeah, Bogut = stocked cupboard.

SeattleUte
03-31-2019, 03:57 PM
You're right. I forgot about that Giacoletti Final Four. But, yeah, Bogut = stocked cupboard.

I meant the Sweet 16.

Bogut was not the only good player on that team.

sancho
03-31-2019, 04:13 PM
Bogut was not the only good player on that team.

You were right about the stocked cupboard because of Bogut. Any coach would win with him. I was wrong to say Majerus left the cupboard bare.

Bogut wasn't the only good player on that team, but he was the difference maker. Without him, that team was no better than any of the non-tournament teams we've had of late.

sancho
03-31-2019, 04:38 PM
Zion gets the Shaq treatment from officials. He's fouled every time he gets it in the post, but they can't call it every time.

sancho
03-31-2019, 05:04 PM
Purdue did that thing that drives me crazy. Down 1 with 30 seconds left, they run the clock down to 5 before taking and missing a shot. Shoot fast and extend the game! Why do teams do that so often?

And now Duke does it. Just bad basketball.

SeattleUte
03-31-2019, 05:11 PM
You were right about the stocked cupboard because of Bogut. Any coach would win with him. I was wrong to say Majerus left the cupboard bare.

Bogut wasn't the only good player on that team, but he was the difference maker. Without him, that team was no better than any of the non-tournament teams we've had of late.

Like Duke and Zion Williamson?

MSU’s first final four since 2015. Hmmm. I thought MSU was “in decline.” I guess not.

SeattleUte
03-31-2019, 05:15 PM

It’s sad that it’s been so long that the Utes were a national program that some of you are getting addled and forgetting. NCAA appearances since Majerus: 1991, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2015, 2016.

He had the Utes in the Sweet 16 the year before he retired.

SeattleUte
03-31-2019, 05:20 PM
So none of the teams with the hot shot five stars made the final four this year. And last season Villanova, not one of them, ran away with it.

concerned
03-31-2019, 05:27 PM
The Hoos win. Duke loses Kentucky loses Carolina loses Gonzaga loses. Could life get any better? Only if the Utes were there. Well well

sancho
03-31-2019, 05:43 PM
Like Duke and Zion Williamson?

Yes, like that. Duke become increasingly dependent on Zion as the season progressed. And they were pretty hard to watch when Zion was out at the end of the regular season.

sancho
03-31-2019, 05:48 PM
It’s sad that it’s been so long that the Utes were a national program that some of you are getting addled and forgetting. NCAA appearances since Majerus: 1991, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2015, 2016.

You are a really sensitive guy. I'm sorry - I often post without thinking hard. I apologize for writing that the program was in decline towards the end of the Majerus era. I was just trying to chat about what concerned said about Gonzaga - that it's hard for a mid major to transition after losing a legendary coach.

sancho
03-31-2019, 05:52 PM
The Hoos win.

You have a UVa connection? I'm happy for Tony Bennett, but I wanted Purdue. Still, a pretty nice final four.

In order - go Red Raiders, Tigers, Cavs, Spartans. No matter what happens next Sat, I have a clear team to cheer for in the title game. Always nice when that happens.

Does anyone think the cheating scandals in the NCAA will lead to anything? Pearl is being celebrated as a genius, when he is a known cheater. No one big has lost their job over this. No program has been punished significantly. What are the incentives for playing this game honestly?

sancho
03-31-2019, 05:54 PM
Final four - one team from each P5 minus the Pac-12.

concerned
03-31-2019, 05:59 PM
You have a UVa connection?

Yes. Law school. Although I don't really follow them at all. I was there during the Ralph Sampson era

SeattleUte
03-31-2019, 06:19 PM
You are a really sensitive guy. I'm sorry - I often post without thinking hard. I apologize for writing that the program was in decline towards the end of the Majerus era. I was just trying to chat about what concerned said about Gonzaga - that it's hard for a mid major to transition after losing a legendary coach.

You need to be more careful about you write. You also said somewhere that five star one and done Zion Williamson types are essential (ignoring apparently the programs that have been wrecked by such players including Georgetown, UW (Romar), UNLV (Rice), UCLA (various), and others, as well as solid programs with teams that lost to teams with 3-4 year starters who were 3-4 star (e.g., Duke today losing to Michigan State, Kentucky losing today to Auburn, NC losing to Villanova in 2016).

sancho
03-31-2019, 06:47 PM
Yes. Law school. Although I don't really follow them at all. I was there during the Ralph Sampson era

That's very cool. While I was at Duke, one of my good friends was at UVa doing a degree in economics. I visited him a handful of times in C-Ville. What a campus. And the law school was very posh.

SeattleUte
03-31-2019, 06:56 PM

I thought you went to Yale. I thought you were a Yaley. This has shattered my impression of you.

sancho
03-31-2019, 06:57 PM
You also said somewhere that five star one and done Zion Williamson types are essential

I don't remember saying that. I don't think I've ever believed it.

I did do a summary of champions in the 1-and-done era about a year ago starting with Melo's Syracuse. I think the analysis showed that you can certainly win with 1-and-dones, but it's definitely not essential and probably not preferable.

I'm bummed that it didn't work out for Zion and Duke this season, but it's been the most entertaining season of Duke basketball in a long time. Zion is a joy to watch. The final four would be better with him in it. But Duke wasn't a good team. In an era of outside shooting, they were trying to get it done in the paint with 1 amazing player, two good players, and little else.

I will take this opportunity to once again suggest that this board should be a snapchat style. All old posts (a year? six months?) should automatically delete. Nobody needs to be held to something said 3 years ago. No one likes the troll that digs up ancient posts to mock people. Plus, this place is cluttered with 1,000 inactive threads when it really only needs 5-10.

SeattleUte
03-31-2019, 06:59 PM
I don't remember saying that. I don't think I've ever believed it.

I did do a summary of champions in the 1-and-done era about a year ago starting with Melo's Syracuse. I think the analysis showed that you can certainly win with 1-and-dones, but it's definitely not essential and probably not preferable.

I'm bummed that it didn't work out for Zion and Duke this season, but it's been the most entertaining season of Duke basketball in a long time. Zion is a joy to watch. The final four would be better with him in it. But Duke wasn't a good team. In an era of outside shooting, they were trying to get it done in the paint with 1 amazing player, two good players, and little else.

I will take this opportunity to once again suggest that this board should be a snapchat style. All old posts (a year? six months?) should automatically delete. Nobody needs to be held to something said 3 years ago. No one likes the troll that digs up ancient posts to mock people. Plus, this place is cluttered with 1,000 inactive threads when it really only needs 5-10.

Signed Tucker Carlson

sancho
03-31-2019, 07:00 PM
You need to be more careful about you write.

I want to think this is a safe space for us to all spout out our half-formed ramblings.

sancho
03-31-2019, 07:03 PM
Signed Tucker Carlson

I don't know enough about Tucker Carlson to know how you are trying to insult me. I am aware enough to know that you are insulting me, though.

concerned
03-31-2019, 07:55 PM
I thought you went to Yale. I thought you were a Yaley. This has shattered my impression of you.

College. You thought harold bloom taught in the law school?

And its Yalie. Boola Boola.

sancho
03-31-2019, 09:32 PM
Pat Forde on the lack of 1-and-done players (again):

https://sports.yahoo.com/one-for-the-aged-final-four-may-lack-starpower-but-its-bursting-at-the-seams-with-experience-025419225.html

UBlender
03-31-2019, 09:46 PM

Utah's NCAA tournament appearances following the championship game run.

1999: Second round
2000: Second round
2001: NIT (Majerus didn't coach)
2002: First round
2003: Second round
2004: First round (Majerus retired midseason)

Don't you hate it when you get all condescending about other people become "addled and forgetting" that you do the same?

SeattleUte
04-01-2019, 08:32 AM
Pat Forde on the lack of 1-and-done players (again):

https://sports.yahoo.com/one-for-the-aged-final-four-may-lack-starpower-but-its-bursting-at-the-seams-with-experience-025419225.html

This makes me so happy.

U-Ute
04-01-2019, 09:08 AM
The Purdue/UVA game has to be one of the most entertaining games I've seen at any level in a long time.

sancho
04-01-2019, 09:17 AM
The Purdue/UVA game has to be one of the most entertaining games I've seen at any level in a long time.

I still can't get over that pass at the end of regulation. 99/100 players rush a half court shot in that situation. Best play I've seen in a long time. UVa is now the favorite to win this thing, and if they do, that play goes down in history as the greatest of all time for the Cavs.

SoCalPat
04-01-2019, 09:42 AM
There's been enough Larry talk that I feel it's OK to put this here. I have tried to be nice and patient regarding Larry's long-term future at Utah. As a reminder, I've been insistent that he gets next year as well as 2020-21 to right the ship. No more. It's NCAAs or hit the road next year.

Too many programs with far lesser histories and accomplishments are in the Final Four this year to make me realize that we're stagnating and/or regressing at Utah. Four years without an NCAA bid at Utah is simply unacceptable, and keeping Larry around to potentially make it five straight years is lowering the standards at Utah, which is also unacceptable.

sancho
04-01-2019, 09:52 AM
Too many programs with far lesser histories and accomplishments are in the Final Four this year to make me realize that we're stagnating and/or regressing at Utah.

Are you saying that if Kentucky beat Auburn in OT and if Gonzaga beat Texas Tech, you would be okay with giving Larry that extra year? I don't see how the results of this year's single elimination tournament should determine Larry's fate. I say fire him next year if it's clear we can do better with someone else, and keep him otherwise. I would take recruiting into account as well as team performance.

concerned
04-01-2019, 09:56 AM
There's been enough Larry talk that I feel it's OK to put this here. I have tried to be nice and patient regarding Larry's long-term future at Utah. As a reminder, I've been insistent that he gets next year as well as 2020-21 to right the ship. No more. It's NCAAs or hit the road next year.

Too many programs with far lesser histories and accomplishments are in the Final Four this year to make me realize that we're stagnating and/or regressing at Utah. Four years without an NCAA bid at Utah is simply unacceptable, and keeping Larry around to potentially make it five straight years is lowering the standards at Utah, which is also unacceptable.

I would still give him the extra year. We are young next year with an upward trajectory (hopefully). If no tourney by 2020-21, then hit the road. And the buyout will be less.

SoCalPat
04-01-2019, 10:04 AM
Are you saying that if Kentucky beat Auburn in OT and if Gonzaga beat Texas Tech, you would be okay with giving Larry that extra year? I don't see how the results of this year's single elimination tournament should determine Larry's fate. I say fire him next year if it's clear we can do better with someone else, and keep him otherwise. I would take recruiting into account as well as team performance.

Tech beating Gonzaga put me over the edge on Larry. Auburn beating Kentucky just solidified my point. My feelings toward Larry have always been on the margins, and I don't pay as much attention to the CBB world as I once did, but my eyes have been opened this week, especially with what Texas Tech has done -- E8 and FF in successive years, and with huge production losses in between years. Amazing.

Again, not only are teams with lesser reps in the Final Four, they beat our biggest regional and national nemeses to get there. We couldn't even make the NIT this year, and the only rankings Utah would crack is one of "Most Money Spent With Least Return on Investment." Harlan doesn't have the obligation to Larry that Chris Hill did, and it doesn't take a savant to look at the record book and Utah's history to know Larry ain't cutting it -- especially at his salary. Keeping him for a fifth year not to make the tournament would be overly generous, and our generosity has been extended enough.

SoCalPat
04-01-2019, 10:13 AM
I would still give him the extra year. We are young next year with an upward trajectory (hopefully). If no tourney by 2020-21, then hit the road. And the buyout will be less.

BYU just bought out Dave Rose's last two years, Utah can certainly afford a three-year buyout of Larry.

SeattleUte
04-01-2019, 10:19 AM

Since the greatest title game ever, Villanova vs. NC in 2016.

SeattleUte
04-01-2019, 10:24 AM

Penny wise and pound foolish. Donors would fund the buyout and a new coach. Meanwhile, the university is getting annihilated at the box office and probably because of dampened donor enthusiasm.

concerned
04-01-2019, 10:29 AM
Penny wise and pound foolish. Donors would fund the buyout and a new coach. Meanwhile, the university is getting annihilated at the box office and probably because of dampened donor enthusiasm.

If we are on an upward trajectory and there is enthusiasm for the future, then I would give it to him. If we crash and burn next year with little optimism and the donors and season ticket holders head for the exits, then you are right. I sit in a group of about 8 season ticket holders, and i was almost ready to throw it in after this year. One of us is going to throw it in and not renew next year.

UtahsMrSports
04-01-2019, 10:31 AM

This is where I stand. Barring a complete falling off the rails, he should have until 2021 to right the ship and get us into the dance, based on the buyout amount. If no appearance by 2021, fan support (much different than the fun house mirror that is twitter) will have sagged to the point that admins probably don't have a choice. 2022 will provide an interesting case. Larry will need an extension by then and will have had to have done enough to merit a raise/same salary, or takes a paycut (hard to see anyone agreeing to do the same job for less, unless their job is on the line).

UtahsMrSports
04-01-2019, 10:42 AM
Meanwhile, the university is getting annihilated at the box office and probably because of dampened donor enthusiasm.

Facts matter, and this is not really accurate.

Average attendance:

2003-2004 10,901
2004-2005 10,777
2005-2006 10,481
2006-2007 9,522
2007-2008 9,979
2008-2009 9,916
2009-2010 9,202
2010-2011 8,422
2011-2012 8,394
2012-2013 8,611
2013-2014 10,355
2014-2015 12,101
2015-2016 13,053
2016-2017 12,051
2017-2018 11,710
2018-2019 11,393

Certainly not a good trend, but we are right there with end of Majerus era.

sancho
04-01-2019, 11:06 AM
How the Final Four teams were built

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26411800/how-2019-final-four-teams-were-built (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26411800/how-2019-final-four-teams-were-built)

Spoilers:

Auburn: 5 top 100 recruits with a couple transfers thrown in
Michigan State: 7 top 100 recruits, no transfers, and 1 unknown who made it big (Goins)
Texas Tech: 0 top 100 recruits, mix of transfers and non-heralded recruits.
UVa; 5 top 100 recruits, couple of less coveted recruits

Texas Tech is the clear outlier, as the other three teams are all primarily built on top recruits.

sancho
04-01-2019, 11:17 AM
BYU just bought out Dave Rose's last two years, Utah can certainly afford a three-year buyout of Larry.

I agree with this. Money is not (or should not) be a big factor in our decisions with Larry. We just have to answer the question of whether we are better with or without him, and move on from there.

I think it's unrealistic to look at the absolute miracle of Texas Tech and think that we should be doing the same thing. Chris Beards don't grow on trees.

Our recruiting numbers have been as good as they've ever been, which is a pretty good reason to keep Larry.

The current team is set up for a 2021 run. Tillman will be a senior, Allen and Gach will be juniors. Rylan Jones and co. will be sophomores. I suspect that if we show clear improvement and promise next season even without making the tournament - if it's clear that 2021 is going to be a special year - Larry will keep his job, and almost everyone on here will support that decision.

On the flip side, if we regress next season (certainly possible without PVD and Barefield), and if 2021 looks like more rebuilding - or if we lose a key player to transfer this offseason - Larry will lose his job, and almost everyone on here will support that decision.

SeattleUte
04-01-2019, 11:17 AM
How the Final Four teams were built

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26411800/how-2019-final-four-teams-were-built (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26411800/how-2019-final-four-teams-were-built)

Spoilers:

Auburn: 5 top 100 recruits with a couple transfers thrown in
Michigan State: 7 top 100 recruits, no transfers, and 1 unknown who made it big (Goins)
Texas Tech: 0 top 100 recruits, mix of transfers and non-heralded recruits.
UVa; 5 top 100 recruits, couple of less coveted recruits

Texas Tech is the clear outlier, as the other three teams are all primarily built on top recruits.

utah should be able to recruit top 100 recruits. Loveridge was one, so was Childs. Most top 100 recruits are four stars and many turn out to be not as good as players not so identified.

Nevertheless, Texas Tech looks like the old Utes, and it is a good and probably the most appropriate model, even though Utah certainly could recruit better than Texas Tech. Gonzaga was not built on top 100 recruits.

concerned
04-01-2019, 11:33 AM
Question: official word is that Rose retired voluntarily and was not pushed (which is hard to believe). If that is true, why is there a buyout?

sancho
04-01-2019, 11:36 AM
Gonzaga was not built on top 100 recruits.

True. I think they will begin to rely more on top 100 recruits now though. They have 4 top 100 recruits in their current class.

sancho
04-01-2019, 11:40 AM
utah should be able to recruit top 100 recruits. Loveridge was one, so was Childs.

If we're going off ESPN (which, I'm told, is the worst of the basketball recruiting ranking lists), Brekkot Chapman was a top 100 as well.

SoCalPat
04-01-2019, 11:46 AM
Question: official word is that Rose retired voluntarily and was not pushed (which is hard to believe). If that is true, why is there a buyout?

We heard the same when Gary Crowton got the axe. Don't believe a word of it.

SoCalPat
04-01-2019, 11:52 AM
I think it's unrealistic to look at the absolute miracle of Texas Tech and think that we should be doing the same thing. Chris Beards don't grow on trees.

The current team is set up for a 2021 run. Tillman will be a senior, Allen and Gach will be juniors. Rylan Jones and co. will be sophomores. I suspect that if we show clear improvement and promise next season even without making the tournament - if it's clear that 2021 is going to be a special year - Larry will keep his job, and almost everyone on here will support that decision.

Number of people wanting to fire Larry because he didn't go E8/FF in his most recent two years: Zero. It will be because he's gone four years without making the tournament.

We're set up for a 2021 run? WTF does that even mean? Finishing in the top 4 of the league and actually making it to the tournament?

sancho
04-01-2019, 12:11 PM
We're set up for a 2021 run? WTF does that even mean? Finishing in the top 4 of the league and actually making it to the tournament?

I don't know, but 2021 is the power spike year with this personnel. We always finish top 4 of the league, so that isn't enough. It's silly to set accomplishment bars years in advance. You continually watch and evaluate, and you fire the guy if you think you can do better.

SeattleUte
04-01-2019, 12:59 PM
If we're going off ESPN (which, I'm told, is the worst of the basketball recruiting ranking lists), Brekkot Chapman was a top 100 as well.

You're proving my point, counselor.

Scorcho
04-01-2019, 01:01 PM
are we seeing a trend of "non-1 and done programs" doing better than "1 and done type programs" in the tournament?

I think we are, TTU, Auburn, Virginia and Michigan St are certainly not programs where kids make an immediate jump to the NBA after their freshman year. Same is true of Villanova over the past 3 seasons.

That's good for the sport.

sancho
04-01-2019, 01:14 PM
are we seeing a trend of "non-1 and done programs" doing better than "1 and done type programs" in the tournament?

Well, yes and no. The 1 and done type programs are doing pretty well each year too. They just haven't won it since Duke in 2015. I think Duke and Kentucky are the only two programs that have been running entirely on 1 and done's lately, and they were both in the elite 8, losing in games that went to the wire.

I said it at the beginning of the tournament - the 1 seeds consisted of 1 and done programs (Duke and UNC), an experienced team of upperclassmen built through recruiting (UVa), and an experienced team built from transfers and foreign players (Gonzaga). There are a lot of different ways to win in college basketball.

sancho
04-01-2019, 01:16 PM
You're proving my point, counselor.

Uh yeah, that's why I posted it. Did you think I was trying to argue with you?

SeattleUte
04-01-2019, 01:16 PM

I think we are, TTU, Auburn, Virginia and Michigan St are certainly not programs where kids make an immediate jump to the NBA after their freshman year. Same is true of Villanova over the past 3 seasons.

That's good for the sport.

This is not new. Ones and drones are toxic and wreck programs for a lot of reasons. They have ruined the two other programs I follow, Georgetown and UW, who are now on a long road back with just low top 100s and three stars.

I actually respect the few coaches like the real Coach K, Roy Williams, and Calipari (are there any others?) who can effectively manage a one and done program. It’s not easy.

Scorcho
04-01-2019, 01:30 PM
This is not new. Ones and drones are toxic and wreck programs for a lot of reasons. They have ruined the two other programs I follow, Georgetown and UW, who are now on a long road back with just low top 100s and three stars.

I actually respect the few coaches like the real Coach K, Roy Williams, and Calipari (are there any others?) who can effectively manage a one and done program. It’s not easy.

others of note: Bill Self, Jim Calhoun, arguably Sean Miller

sancho
04-01-2019, 01:37 PM
others of note: Bill Self, Jim Calhoun, arguably Sean Miller

It's not like the other coaches are avoiding 1-and-done's on principle, though. Any coach in the nation would have happily signed RJ Barrett or Zion Williamson last year.

SeattleUte
04-01-2019, 02:08 PM
It's not like the other coaches are avoiding 1-and-done's on principle, though. Any coach in the nation would have happily signed RJ Barrett or Zion Williamson last year.

I don’t agree. I think some coaches like Jay Wright and Tom Izzo have a lot of options, and they pursue a player who all-around fits a profile they have in mind, and that doesn’t include the character traits and plans of a one and done. The best coaches know their own weaknesses as well as strengths.

sancho
04-01-2019, 02:34 PM
I don’t agree. I think some coaches like Jay Wright and Tom Izzo have a lot of options, and they pursue a player who all-around fits a profile they have in mind, and that doesn’t include the character traits and plans of a one and done. The best coaches know their own weaknesses as well as strengths.

Tom Izzo has had three one and dones (Jaren Jackson, Deyonte Davis, and Zach Randolph). He's recruited others who were potential one and dones at the time of recruitment, as has Jay Wright. If the NBA rules don't change, both will have one and dones again. Even Mark Few had a one and done with Collins.

Everyone will take a great player, even if it's a one and one player. The difference with Duke and Kentucky is that they are almost entirely built out of one and done players now.

You are wrong to assign certain character traits to one and done players. They come in all shapes and sizes just like other players.

SeattleUte
04-01-2019, 02:42 PM
Tom Izzo has had three one and dones (Jaren Jackson, Deyonte Davis, and Zach Randolph). He's recruited others who were potential one and dones at the time of recruitment, as has Jay Wright. If the NBA rules don't change, both will have one and dones again. Even Mark Few had a one and done with Collins.

Everyone will take a great player, even if it's a one and one player. The difference with Duke and Kentucky is that they are almost entirely built out of one and done players now.

You are wrong to assign certain character traits to one and done players. They come in all shapes and sizes just like other players.

Tom Izzo has had three in all these years; you don’t say. With respect to ones and drones being all different, tell that to Ben Howland and Steve Alford. Ones and drones cannot help but be similar with respect to self-subordination and buy-in to the program and the system. And the one trait they definitely all have in common is that they are continuity killers. They stay only one year!

sancho
04-01-2019, 02:46 PM
And the one trait they definitely all have in common is that they are continuity killers. They stay only one year!

We've found common ground. I agree with this. Continuity and experience are a big deal.

Lack of continuity has been brutal for Duke. And Utah has suffered the same lack of continuity with none of the payoffs :(

sancho
04-06-2019, 09:37 PM
UVa vs Texas Tech. A battle of defensive teams for the first time in a while. I don't think anyone beats Virginia at their own game. Cavs seem destined for a title after two dramatic/lucky wins. But go Red Raiders. The most unlikely title shot contender since Butler.

SeattleUte
04-07-2019, 11:00 PM
UVa vs Texas Tech. A battle of defensive teams for the first time in a while. I don't think anyone beats Virginia at their own game. Cavs seem destined for a title after two dramatic/lucky wins. But go Red Raiders. The most unlikely title shot contender since Butler.

Painful to watch. Texas Tech is the old Utes. What happened to our identity, our system, our culture?

LA Ute
04-07-2019, 11:25 PM
Painful to watch. Texas Tech is the old Utes. What happened to our identity, our system, our culture?

They’re with Rick Majerus.

SeattleUte
04-07-2019, 11:32 PM
They’re with Rick Majerus.

Fools mock but they shall mourn.

LA Ute
04-08-2019, 07:23 AM
Fools mock but they shall mourn.

No mocking. Just reality. No other Utah coach ran the program the way Big Rick did. Are you saying the Majerus era (Texas Tech style basketball) represents our “roots?”

SeattleUte
04-08-2019, 10:26 AM
No mocking. Just reality. No other Utah coach ran the program the way Big Rick did. Are you saying the Majerus era (Texas Tech style basketball) represents our “roots?”

I was making an allusion to Alex Jensen in referring to going back to the roots.

However, you’re incorrect that Majerus’s system was sui generis. Jerry Pimm ran a motion offense with 100% man-to-man.

I don’t know how else you reach the heights with Utah’s recruits.

Does Krystkowiak have a system? What am I missing?

(I noted that you didn’t like my facebook post, even though everyone else did.)

SeattleUte
04-08-2019, 10:41 AM
Some Ute fans have a greater allegiance to a former athletic director than the institution. I'm not judging. Just making an observation about how we each have our own Ute experience.

LA Ute
04-08-2019, 11:21 AM
some ute fans have a greater allegiance to a former athletic director than the institution. I'm not judging. Just making an observation about how we each have our own ute experience.

LA Ute
04-08-2019, 11:32 AM
(I noted that you didn’t like my facebook post, even though everyone else did.)

Because I didn't like it.

I remember when Comrade Crimson called you Seattle Majerus Fan. One of the great moments in UF.net history.

sancho
04-08-2019, 11:39 AM
Does Krystkowiak have a system? What am I missing?

I wouldn't mind others chiming in here. I think Larry has tried to adapt his system to his personnel. We've had some good defensive teams and some bad. We've played man-to-man and zone. We've had some teams that pushed tempo more than others. This season was all about trying to generate outside shooting opportunities without a post presence or a solid PG.

Seems like some coaches are known for a particular system/style (Bennett right now, for example), and others are fluid (Coach K at Duke). I personally would like to have a more concrete style than we seem to have.

SeattleUte
04-08-2019, 11:45 AM
Because I didn't like it.

I remember when Comrade Crimson called you Seattle Majerus Fan. One of the great moments in UF.net history.

So you take your guidance from an admirer of the Soviet Union. Speaks volumes.

SeattleUte
04-08-2019, 12:13 PM
I wouldn't mind others chiming in here. I think Larry has tried to adapt his system to his personnel. We've had some good defensive teams and some bad. We've played man-to-man and zone. We've had some teams that pushed tempo more than others. This season was all about trying to generate outside shooting opportunities without a post presence or a solid PG.

Seems like some coaches are known for a particular system/style (Bennett right now, for example), and others are fluid (Coach K at Duke). I personally would like to have a more concrete style than we seem to have.

The ones who are fluid, like Coach K, or have no system, like Roy William, have better players. Also, ones and dones don't like systems.

concerned
04-08-2019, 12:37 PM
The ones who are fluid, like Coach K, or have no system, like Roy William, have better players. Also, ones and dones don't like systems.

And you cant really teach or learn a system in one year.

sancho
04-08-2019, 12:50 PM
And you cant really teach or learn a system in one year.

This is another argument for continuity and few transfers.

LA Ute
04-08-2019, 01:04 PM
So you take your guidance from an admirer of the Soviet Union. Speaks volumes.

Suggested change to your photo here:

https://www.utahby5.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2531&stc=1

Applejack
04-08-2019, 02:51 PM
Some Ute fans have a greater allegiance to a former athletic director than the institution. I'm not judging. Just making an observation about how we each have our own Ute experience.

LOL. SeattleUte is back, baby!*

*even if he is kinda rooting for the Y these days.

LA Ute
04-08-2019, 03:13 PM
...he is kinda rooting for the Y these days.

We could never make this stuff up.

UtahsMrSports
04-08-2019, 10:27 PM
Terrific title game. Great efforts by both schools. Hope to see utah in the one shining moment soon!

sancho
04-09-2019, 02:57 PM
The replay last night is an example of something that has bugged me for years in basketball. A defender pokes the ball out, and they go to replay. Of course the ball touches the ball-handler's fingertips last on its way out. That's just physics. I don't like that the defender's team gets the ball. I don't have a solution; I just don't like it.

SeattleUte
04-10-2019, 10:42 AM
I loved this Final Four so much. Virginia's overall run may be the most storied ever, considering the two miracle finishes, the gritty final, and emerging from the ashes of last season. Tony Bennett is an awesome coach and human being.

Except for major league baseball, is there another sport where a single gesture can reverberate through the ages like college basketball? The NBA is too deterministic. We know who will win the series, and there are not enough close games. De’Andre Hunter's 3-pointer from the corner meant the difference between a national championship or not, and having been brilliantly set up, he delivered. True excellence.

(Loved the fact that Coach K had the two top recruits in the country and couldn't crack the Final Four.)

LA Ute
04-10-2019, 11:04 AM
(Loved the fact that Coach K had the two top recruits in the country and couldn't crack the Final Four.)

For a guy who doesn't want him fired you sure do have a lot of schadenfreude over his failures. Why does a Utah fan enjoy the failures of a Utah head coach -- in our most storied program, no less?

EDIT: Never mind. You mean this Coach K:

https://www.utahby5.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2534&stc=1

I agree with you.

sancho
04-10-2019, 11:06 AM
I loved this Final Four so much. Virginia's overall run may be the most storied ever, considering the two miracle finishes, the gritty final, and emerging from the ashes of last season. Tony Bennett is an awesome coach and human being.

Except for major league baseball, is there another sport where a single gesture can reverberate through the ages like college basketball?

It was a great tournament after the first weekend. Close games all over the place. The play to go to OT vs Purdue will never be forgotten.

College basketball - like all sports - has its flaws, but it also has the clear strength of regularly delivering big drama.

sancho
04-10-2019, 11:07 AM
For a guy who doesn't want him fired you sure do have a lot of schadenfreude over his failures. Why does a Utah fan enjoy the failures of a Utah head coach -- in our most storied program, no less?

Wrong Coach K

LA Ute
04-10-2019, 11:48 AM
Wrong Coach K

Thanks. Corrected!