PDA

View Full Version : 2019 Offseason thread

UtahsMrSports
03-20-2019, 09:37 AM
Arkansas-little rock guard Rayjon Tucker has decided to leave as a grad transfer (20 points, 7 boards last year, 40% from the arc). Our staff has contacted him to gauge interest, along with many others.

Other guys we are recruiting at this point are juco guards Rayquan Evans Tajzmel sherman. Both bring unique skillsets that would be beneficial. Also have an offer out to 2019 top 100 high school guard Harlond Beverly. I dont expect we will even get a visit there, but this could be another Vante Hendrix, so you never know.

LA Ute
03-20-2019, 01:20 PM
Arkansas-little rock guard Rayjon Tucker has decided to leave as a grad transfer (20 points, 7 boards last year, 40% from the arc). Our staff has contacted him to gauge interest, along with many others.

Other guys we are recruiting at this point are juco guards Rayquan Evans Tajzmel sherman. Both bring unique skillsets that would be beneficial. Also have an offer out to 2019 top 100 high school guard Harlond Beverly. I dont expect we will even get a visit there, but this could be another Vante Hendrix, so you never know.

Pretty good information, even from a shill. [emoji6] Thanks!

Scorcho
03-20-2019, 02:52 PM
Brandon Morley's name in the hoops transfer portal

https://twitter.com/tribkurt/status/1108469349931601920

UtahsMrSports
03-20-2019, 02:58 PM
Brandon Morley's name in the hoops transfer portal

https://twitter.com/tribkurt/status/1108469349931601920

DrumNFeather mentioned that his name has been on there for a while; even during the season, I believe.

Applejack
03-20-2019, 03:20 PM

sancho
03-20-2019, 04:57 PM
Arkansas-little rock guard Rayjon Tucker has decided to leave as a grad transfer

We are about to enter the annual transfer market explosion, right? It's, like, what, 500 players per year?

UtahsMrSports
03-20-2019, 07:31 PM
We are about to enter the annual transfer market explosion, right? It's, like, what, 500 players per year?

In the last couple of years, we are closer to 800, rising each year.

Mormon Red Death
03-21-2019, 04:23 PM
https://twitter.com/espn700bill/status/1108823053880840192?s=19

UtahsMrSports
03-21-2019, 08:44 PM
https://twitter.com/espn700bill/status/1108823053880840192?s=19

So he committed to fresno and then ends up at unm? Well.....ok then!

Old Standing ute
03-22-2019, 07:10 AM
So does he need to sit out a whole year now, or is he eligible mid-season?

sancho
03-22-2019, 08:16 AM
If this was just about playing time, he was short-sighted. He'd be in line for a ton of minutes next season.

Old Standing ute
03-22-2019, 04:10 PM
I was at the first round NCAA games & came away thinking the Utes have to be bigger next year. The better teams had at least 2 big guys that could rebound. Not sure starting Tillman & Allen will work. Not sure how they both get enough minutes, not sure they can guard a 2.

The big Finn is supposedly a great rebound-er, dare I suggest an Alex Jensen type player, ( I know that is close to sacrilege). If true, that would be a solid front-court when teamed up with either Headband Jayce or the Hat at the 5.

most teams ran the same offense as the Utes, But their bigs held the screens longer--instead of slipping (for the pass that never came from the Ute guards), so the guards could cut hard to the hoop.

sancho
03-23-2019, 09:21 AM
I was at the first round NCAA games & came away thinking the Utes have to be bigger next year. The better teams had at least 2 big guys that could rebound. Not sure starting Tillman & Allen will work. Not sure how they both get enough minutes, not sure they can guard a 2.

Tillman and Allen can work just fine if the guard play is good enough. There are a thousand ways to have a good basketball team, and 90% of them involve good guard play.

sancho
03-27-2019, 04:20 PM
Two opponents lost pieces today. UCLA's Wilkes and BYU's Childs declared for the draft.

UtahsMrSports
03-27-2019, 06:00 PM
Two opponents lost pieces today. UCLA's Wilkes and BYU's Childs declared for the draft.

Our friends to the south are in some trouble. Their recruiting over the last 3 years has been pretty bad. Thatll catch up at some point; a lot like our misses in 2016 and 2017 are hurting us now.

Mormon Red Death
03-28-2019, 08:56 AM
Our friends to the south are in some trouble. Their recruiting over the last 3 years has been pretty bad. Thatll catch up at some point; a lot like our misses in 2016 and 2017 are hurting us now.

Instead of playing in Europe why doesnt childs transfer to a different program like Reed Travis?

sancho
03-28-2019, 09:28 AM
Instead of playing in Europe why doesnt childs transfer to a different program like Reed Travis?

The last remaining zoob in my life is an old guy at church. He says that Yoeli is married and that his wife won't finish at BYU for another year. In that situation, it either makes sense to stay or to start making money.

UtahsMrSports
03-28-2019, 10:04 AM
I find it mildly interesting that in 3 consecutive seasons, their best player has left early, each with very little hope of the NBA. Is this more prominent across college basketball than I realize?

concerned
03-28-2019, 10:17 AM
I find it mildly interesting that in 3 consecutive seasons, their best player has left early, each with very little hope of the NBA. Is this more prominent across college basketball than I realize?

Most players transfer but stay in college. What they did is not very common, unless they expect to get drafted but don't.

UtahsMrSports
03-28-2019, 10:32 AM
Most players transfer but stay in college. What they did is not very common, unless they expect to get drafted but don't.

Right, I just cant imagine any of them really thought theyd get drafted. I suppose they had eyes on a european paycheck. YC could still get drafted, but I doubt it. Interesting situation happening there.

Old Standing ute
03-28-2019, 12:42 PM
Right, I just cant imagine any of them really thought theyd get drafted. I suppose they had eyes on a european paycheck. YC could still get drafted, but I doubt it. Interesting situation happening there.

Will he “graduate” this year—if not, then another year will not really make him a better player for the pros, so he might as well start earning money. The only reason to transfer would be like Reed Travis & play for a championship. But Travis has a Stanford degree already, os maybe he will make more money in business rather than Euro BB.?

sancho
03-28-2019, 01:28 PM
But Travis has a Stanford degree already, os maybe he will make more money in business rather than Euro BB.?

Reed majored in Science, Technology, and Society, which is the jock major at Stanford. I'm guessing he'll be making his money through basketball.

sancho
03-31-2019, 07:12 PM

Pac-12 POY Jaylen Noelle declares.

concerned
04-01-2019, 04:24 PM
Charles Jones officially transferring. Maybe this means we are going to get one of our targets. maybe not.

UtahsMrSports
04-01-2019, 05:31 PM
Charles Jones officially transferring. Maybe this means we are going to get one of our targets. maybe not.

Who is reporting this? (Sorry...in class and couldnt find it on twitter in a brief search.)

Diehard Ute
04-01-2019, 06:14 PM
Who is reporting this? (Sorry...in class and couldnt find it on twitter in a brief search.)

Steve Bartle from Ute Zone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

UtahsMrSports
04-01-2019, 08:29 PM
Thanks.

Too bad it didn't work here. Hopefully, this'll be the spot for taz or a grad transfer. The initial wave of transfers tends to be announced all together. Hopefully this yeat it's limited to this.

DrumNFeather
04-10-2019, 10:07 AM
Lou Dort is heading to the NBA and hiring an agent. Tres Tinkle will go through the process.

Mormon Red Death
04-12-2019, 11:57 AM
We could use toolson (https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900065412/utah-valley-guard-jake-toolson-reportedly-expected-to-transfer-for-senior-season.html) as a replacement for PVD

Old Standing ute
04-12-2019, 03:16 PM
Lou Dort is heading to the NBA and hiring an agent. Tres Tinkle will go through the process.

Okpala from Stanford declaring for draft.

UTEopia
04-16-2019, 08:51 PM
Some reports out that Donnie Daniels is coming to Utah is Director of Basketball Operations. Huge, if accurate. Jones will move to 3rd assistant, I would assume

Coastal Ute
04-16-2019, 10:15 PM
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/apr/16/donny-daniels-leaving-gonzaga-dialing-back-after-f/

LA Ute
04-16-2019, 11:44 PM
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/apr/16/donny-daniels-leaving-gonzaga-dialing-back-after-f/

The news article says he'll be Director of Basketball Operations. If so, Chris Jones is going to be on the floor coaching, as Rylan joins the team.

Irving Washington
04-17-2019, 07:30 AM
The news article says he'll be Director of Basketball Operations. If so, Chris Jones is going to be on the floor coaching, as Rylan joins the team.
So the big question will be, how well can Jones recruit, cause Donnie isn't doing much of it.

UtahsMrSports
04-17-2019, 08:18 AM
So the big question will be, how well can Jones recruit, cause Donnie isn't doing much of it.

This isn't quite true. Going to houses? Correct. He wont do that, but he will be heavily involved.

https://www.hoopcoach.org/what-is-a-director-of-basketball-operations/

sancho
04-17-2019, 09:14 AM
Some reports out that Donnie Daniels is coming to Utah is Director of Basketball Operations. Huge, if accurate. Jones will move to 3rd assistant, I would assume

This is going to pave the way for the Andre Miller era.:p

Irving Washington
04-18-2019, 07:40 AM
This isn't quite true. Going to houses? Correct. He wont do that, but he will be heavily involved.

https://www.hoopcoach.org/what-is-a-director-of-basketball-operations/
I'm thinking that it is not just the position that limits him in recruiting, but also the energy/time commitment he's willing to make. This might be why there hasn't been any announcement about what his duties are or what Chris Jones' role will be. I do like the idea of him counseling the players off court. Lessen any harshness from Coack K and Tommy.

UtahsMrSports
04-22-2019, 09:23 AM
https://bustingbrackets.com/2019/04/21/ncaa-basketball-graduate-transfer-max-hazzard-seven-schools/

It appears we are out of the running for Hazzard. I am hoping there is another option out there, as I just don't see Jayce coming back anymore. As of right now, no seniors and one junior on the roster for next year.

U-Ute
04-22-2019, 11:07 AM
https://bustingbrackets.com/2019/04/21/ncaa-basketball-graduate-transfer-max-hazzard-seven-schools/

As of right now, no seniors and one junior on the roster for next year.

Well, we always wanted to be like Kentucky. I'm not sure we're doing it right though.

DrumNFeather
04-24-2019, 08:18 AM
Jayce Johnson and Donnie Tillman are getting NBA evaluations.

Applejack
04-24-2019, 08:22 AM

April Fool's to you too, DnF!

UtahsMrSports
04-24-2019, 08:35 AM

We are several years into this now and im 100% confident that at least one of our angry fans will try to mock them for thinking they are NBA worthy.

Applejack
04-24-2019, 08:48 AM
we are several years into this now and im 100% confident that at least one of our angry fans will try to mock them for thinking they are nba worthy.

april fool's to you too, dnf!

ding ding ding!!!!!

FountainOfUte
04-24-2019, 03:46 PM
What're the latest rumors around Jayce? I feel like I've seen some rumors that his transferring away is all but done. Otherwise, I hear that no one really knows aside from the fact that the coaches are trying to keep him here.

I'll say this about JJ. I felt for a long time that he would be the kind of player who wouldn't start paying off for us until he was an upperclassman. Now, I know he broke his foot just before last season and had to come back from that, but even I mostly threw the towel in on him with the way he started the season. But as the season started winding down, I think we started to see the kind of player I thought he could be. The whole "Headband Jayce" was actually a nice (and admittedly still flawed) player. But that end-of-jr-year Jayce is a player we REALLY need next year and I'd welcome him "back" with open arms.

So, I hope the "he's already gone" guys are wrong. I'm crossing my fingers that they are. Does anyone know? Or what are the latest rumors?

UTEopia
04-24-2019, 07:08 PM
What're the latest rumors around Jayce? I feel like I've seen some rumors that his transferring away is all but done. Otherwise, I hear that no one really knows aside from the fact that the coaches are trying to keep him here.

I'll say this about JJ. I felt for a long time that he would be the kind of player who wouldn't start paying off for us until he was an upperclassman. Now, I know he broke his foot just before last season and had to come back from that, but even I mostly threw the towel in on him with the way he started the season. But as the season started winding down, I think we started to see the kind of player I thought he could be. The whole "Headband Jayce" was actually a nice (and admittedly still flawed) player. But that end-of-jr-year Jayce is a player we REALLY need next year and I'd welcome him "back" with open arms.

So, I hope the "he's already gone" guys are wrong. I'm crossing my fingers that they are. Does anyone know? Or what are the latest rumors?

Supposedly visited Nebraska. Best bet is that he is not returning.

sancho
05-02-2019, 11:42 AM
It has happened:

DrumNFeather
05-02-2019, 11:53 AM
It has happened:

We're getting Cal and Wazzu at home, which will both be Q4 games. Cal on the road may be as well.

sancho
05-02-2019, 11:56 AM
We're getting Cal and Wazzu at home, which will both be Q4 games. Cal on the road may be as well.

Long term, though, this is a good thing for us.

concerned
05-02-2019, 11:57 AM

next year: no AZ's at home, no Wash's on the road.

SoCalPat
05-03-2019, 09:32 AM
Long term, though, this is a good thing for us.

It's only a good thing if the league can consistently be a 5-league bid or better. And Cal and Wazzu need to firmly get out of the sub-200 NET rankings.

It's also not going to change the selection committee's emphasis on non-conference scheduling. "But we play two more league games!" isn't gonna carry much water if your non-conference slate is still in the high 200-plus nationally.

sancho
05-03-2019, 11:18 AM
It's only a good thing if the league can consistently be a 5-league bid or better. And Cal and Wazzu need to firmly get out of the sub-200 NET rankings.

It's also not going to change the selection committee's emphasis on non-conference scheduling. "But we play two more league games!" isn't gonna carry much water if your non-conference slate is still in the high 200-plus nationally.

It would be a great thing if the league is a 5 bid league or better. But it can still be a good thing if the league is just not terrible again like it was this year. If there are no anchors in the league, this will just help. This should also make it easier to get the OOC schedule we need.

It's not a huge thing, but it is a good thing.

Scorcho
05-06-2019, 08:42 AM
former Ute standout Tim Drisdom in the news this weekend, ugh feel bad for Tim :anger:

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2019/05/04/racism-keeps-rearing-its/

Scratch
05-06-2019, 09:07 AM
former Ute standout Tim Drisdom in the news this weekend, ugh feel bad for Tim :anger:

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2019/05/04/racism-keeps-rearing-its/

This article is just despicable because 1) the fan behavior is beyong heinous and reprehensible, and 2) the UHSAA is acting like it doesn't know what to do about it. When this stuff is reliably documented, as is apparently the case based on the article, there is nothing to think about. You ban the perpetrator immediately from all UHSAA events for at least a year if not for life. It's not difficult.

LA Ute
05-06-2019, 10:14 AM
This article is just despicable because 1) the fan behavior is beyong heinous and reprehensible, and 2) the UHSAA is acting like it doesn't know what to do about it. When this stuff is reliably documented, as is apparently the case based on the article, there is nothing to think about. You ban the perpetrator immediately from all UHSAA events for at least for a year if not for life. It's not difficult.

Like.

sancho
05-06-2019, 10:17 AM
You ban the perpetrator immediately from all UHSAA events for at least for a year if not for life. It's not difficult.

Punish the team/high school as well for not acting on this after multiple incidences.

DrumNFeather
05-07-2019, 10:02 AM
Looks like Utah and Nevada are targeting November 5th for the return game in Reno. Nothing is final, but it is looking that way. Last year we opened the season on 11/8 vs. Maine in SLC, so this could very well be the first game of the year outside of NWTRU and an exhibition game.

DrumNFeather
05-07-2019, 03:22 PM
Jayce lands at Marquette and will be slapping the floor with Wojo for his final season.

chrisrenrut
05-07-2019, 03:26 PM
Jayce lands at Marquette and will be slapping the floor with Wojo for his final season.

Time to change your avatar.

DrumNFeather
05-07-2019, 03:28 PM
Time to change your avatar.

The last two avatars have left their team for another. The DNF curse!

UtahsMrSports
05-07-2019, 03:40 PM
The last two avatars have left their team for another. The DNF curse!

Lets make use of this. Change it to Sean Miller or Nico Mannion.

SoCalPat
05-07-2019, 04:56 PM

Jayce is either stupid and/or desperate, or Utah/Pac 12 hoops is a big flaming mess. Maybe it's both. I still can't believe all parties involved let it get to this point. Marquette? Really?

sancho
05-07-2019, 05:09 PM
Jayce is either stupid and/or desperate, or Utah/Pac 12 hoops is a big flaming mess. Maybe it's both. I still can't believe all parties involved let it get to this point. Marquette? Really?

Marquette is a tournament team. Maybe Jayce wants to experience March Madness once before he's done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5FT3IGXtAk

SoCalPat
05-07-2019, 05:24 PM
Marquette is a tournament team. Maybe Jayce wants to experience March Madness once before he's done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5FT3IGXtAk

Well, they should be pretty damn good next year. Markus Howard passed on the draft and everyone comes back.

Jayce will be the third kid with state/U ties on that team, and Stan Johnson was an assistant under Boylen.

Applejack
05-08-2019, 08:33 AM
Lets make use of this. Change it to Sean Miller or Nico Mannion.

Just saw that the San Jose Mercury guy predicted someone other than Jayden Daniels to start for ASU this year. He'd be a nice pickup.

SoCalPat
05-08-2019, 11:04 AM
Not really a Utah thing, but a college hoops thing. The NCAA is now allowing championship events to be held in states that offer sports wagering. Until this year, that affected only Nevada. Now, with eight states offering it (and more to come), the NCAA ain't gonna bother with the exemption anymore.

Las Vegas, obviously, becomes a major player to host first- and second-round games. That's competition for SLC. Eventually, it will get a regional final and Final Four, the latter being something SLC doesn't have to worry about. On the flip side, Las Vegas seems like a natural site to host a gymanstics final. I think gymnastics could do itself a favor and just select three neutral-site locations (Atlanta, Dallas, Las Vegas) and rotate.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-las-vegas-ncaa-championships-20190504-story.html

EDIT: It helps to read an entire story before commenting. Las Vegas has said it won't pursue the opening rounds of the NCAA Tournament.

LuckyUte
05-09-2019, 03:12 PM
Not really a Utah thing, but a college hoops thing. The NCAA is now allowing championship events to be held in states that offer sports wagering. Until this year, that affected only Nevada. Now, with eight states offering it (and more to come), the NCAA ain't gonna bother with the exemption anymore.

Las Vegas, obviously, becomes a major player to host first- and second-round games. That's competition for SLC. Eventually, it will get a regional final and Final Four, the latter being something SLC doesn't have to worry about. On the flip side, Las Vegas seems like a natural site to host a gymanstics final. I think gymnastics could do itself a favor and just select three neutral-site locations (Atlanta, Dallas, Las Vegas) and rotate.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-las-vegas-ncaa-championships-20190504-story.html

EDIT: It helps to read an entire story before commenting. Las Vegas has said it won't pursue the opening rounds of the NCAA Tournament.

I am guessing they fill like they already do well economically in the first and second round without actually hosting anything.

Dwight Schr-Ute
05-09-2019, 07:16 PM

Vegas is waiting until they have an inappropriate enough football stadium to finally qualify to host a Final Four!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UTEopia
05-21-2019, 06:09 PM
What, if anything, does the delay in naming an assistant basketball coach say about LK or the program?

UBlender
05-21-2019, 09:22 PM
What, if anything, does the delay in naming an assistant basketball coach say about LK or the program?

Not sure, but I do know what the complete lack of chatter and coverage of that potential transaction says about the apathy of the fanbase right now.

SoCalPat
05-21-2019, 09:45 PM

Transition within the sports information department, perhaps?

UTEopia
05-21-2019, 09:48 PM
Transition within the sports information department, perhaps?

Someone has been hired but they can't write a press release? If that is the case, I have serious concerns about Harlan.

Scratch
05-21-2019, 10:46 PM
Someone has been hired but they can't write a press release? If that is the case, I have serious concerns about Harlan.

Reading the tea leaves, I'd be pretty surprised if it's anyone other than Henry Martinez.

sancho
05-21-2019, 11:04 PM
Reading the tea leaves, I'd be pretty surprised if it's anyone other than Henry Martinez.

Who is that?

Scratch
05-22-2019, 08:26 AM
Who is that?

https://twitter.com/henrymartinezfa?lang=en

He's also this kid's dad:

https://247sports.com/Player/Ian-Martinez-46052592/

UtahsMrSports
05-22-2019, 08:39 AM

I dont know what it says, other than it being the status quo. For better and worse, this staff goes about its business while keeping most things tight lipped. I am not too worried. The roster is set. I am glad they seem to be taking their time to do this right.

UtahsMrSports
05-22-2019, 08:40 AM
I dont know what it says, other than it being the status quo. For better and worse, this staff goes about its business while keeping most things tight lipped. I am not too worried. The roster is set. I am glad they seem to be taking their time to do this right.

Also, I take it as yet another sign that Larry barely cares about the opinions of donors and fans, for better or worse. This program is his.

DrumNFeather
05-22-2019, 08:52 AM
Also, I take it as yet another sign that Larry barely cares about the opinions of donors and fans, for better or worse. This program is his.

Blue collar guy!

sancho
05-22-2019, 09:06 AM

If Whitt had a tiny bit more of that, we may have avoided the OC fiascso.

UtahsMrSports
05-22-2019, 09:15 AM
Blue collar guy!

He is the epitome of a blue collar guy.

UTEopia
05-22-2019, 10:31 AM
If Whitt had a tiny bit more of that, we may have avoided the OC fiascso.

I totally disagree with this. Whit could give two shits what donors or fans think when it comes to his hires. Most of the OC issues have been the result of Whit's own conflicts. He was raised as a coach on winning with a tough D, great special teams and physical offense. As a DC, however, his biggest challenges were with teams with dual threat QB's who could also stretch the field with through the air. He thought he could have both. However, when the chips were down, he would opt for his philosophy.
I really do not blame Johnson, Schramm or ARod. They were trying to do what Whit wanted them to do. Chow did his own thing and didn't care what Whit wanted and what Chow did fit Whit's underlying philosophy anyway. Same with Christensen. I think with Taylor, Whit finally realized that you cannot do everything. I think he has finally decided that instead of asking someone to have an offense that does everything, he will go with Lud who knows and shares his underlying philosophy.

SeattleUte
05-22-2019, 12:37 PM
I totally disagree with this. Whit could give two shits what donors or fans think when it comes to his hires.

Ha. I can verify from first hand experience this is absolutely true. Sancho and UMS are making stuff up again.

SoCalPat
05-23-2019, 11:15 AM

I'm just guessing here. I know Liz Abel's replacement has been announced, but don't know if he's on campus yet. Also, with the 2018-19 sports season and school year essentially over with, I doubt anyone is really in a hurry to announce anything. They all want to go on vacation, and at this time of year, they've totally earned it. My guess is we'll get a ton of information in one fell swoop regarding the schedule and the coaching staff, probably in the next week or two.

sancho
05-23-2019, 11:25 AM
Not sure, but I do know what the complete lack of chatter and coverage of that potential transaction says about the apathy of the fanbase right now.

Don't mistake my apathy about the assistant coach position with apathy about the program.

SeattleUte
05-23-2019, 03:34 PM

Great. Now let's see if his program can succeed. That's all most of us care about.

UtahsMrSports
05-23-2019, 07:03 PM
Donnie Tilman will do a workout with the Jazz tomorrow. He has until Wednesday to withdraw his name.

Ma'ake
05-27-2019, 09:12 AM
I totally disagree with this. Whit could give two shits what donors or fans think when it comes to his hires. Most of the OC issues have been the result of Whit's own conflicts. He was raised as a coach on winning with a tough D, great special teams and physical offense. As a DC, however, his biggest challenges were with teams with dual threat QB's who could also stretch the field with through the air. He thought he could have both. However, when the chips were down, he would opt for his philosophy.
I really do not blame Johnson, Schramm or ARod. They were trying to do what Whit wanted them to do. Chow did his own thing and didn't care what Whit wanted and what Chow did fit Whit's underlying philosophy anyway. Same with Christensen. I think with Taylor, Whit finally realized that you cannot do everything. I think he has finally decided that instead of asking someone to have an offense that does everything, he will go with Lud who knows and shares his underlying philosophy.

I agree with this assessment of the OC trail.

What will make this year really interesting is Whit knowing the offense has to continue rising, the return of Ludwig, and new faces in the kicking game. Great opportunity for Ludwig / Huntley / Moss / Covey & the receivers / Harding's crew, Shelley, etc.

Not having Matt & Mitch as hedges means the offense will need to produce more TDs, and go for it on more 4th downs between the 40 and 20, or whatever the shrinking comfort zone ends up being. Matt was the best FG kicker in program history... hopefully we find a serviceable, or even average kicker, and Ben Lennon is 85% of what Mitch was.

U-Ute
06-03-2019, 06:13 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190604/c3b56c2d69d8c2c6d4e92c0e24e7f134.jpg

Diehard Ute
06-04-2019, 03:24 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190604/c3b56c2d69d8c2c6d4e92c0e24e7f134.jpg

Michael Jordan could reportedly pluck coins off the top of the backboard with ease.

chrisrenrut
06-04-2019, 04:59 PM
Michael Jordan could reportedly pluck coins off the top of the backboard with ease.

I remember hearing in the 80’s of a Utah player doing that. Albert Springs iirc.

Dwight Schr-Ute
06-05-2019, 02:50 PM
I remember hearing in the 80’s of a Utah player doing that. Albert Springs iirc.

With a name like that, you better be bouncy.

Dwight Schr-Ute
06-07-2019, 09:35 AM
Big blow to any chance for a successful season next year. But a reminder that sports are just sports. Best to Donnie and his family.

hostile
06-22-2019, 03:24 PM
Now DNews reporting Daniels will transfer; visiting Rutgers.

chrisrenrut
06-22-2019, 06:30 PM
Now DNews reporting Daniels will transfer; visiting Rutgers.

I assume you mean Tillman? The only Daniels would be Donnie, and he just got here.

hostile
06-23-2019, 01:04 AM
I assume you mean Tillman? The only Daniels would be Donnie, and he just got here.
Duh. Yes, Tillman. Jet lagged brain...

LA Ute
06-23-2019, 08:10 AM
Does Tillman’s mom live in New Jersey? (Please forgive my cynicism.)

Diehard Ute
06-23-2019, 08:39 AM

One news outlet is claiming Tillman sent them a direct message on social media saying he never said leave of absence.

His statement indeed never used those words, but it certainly indicated his mom was the reason he was leaving.

I’ve seen some speculation athletes are now using things like family issues in press releases to try and get out of the sit out rule.

Obviously none of us know the truth. But something smells fishy

UTEopia
06-23-2019, 10:10 AM

Did you ever believe it was a leave of absence?

LA Ute
06-26-2019, 02:34 PM
Did you ever believe it was a leave of absence?

I did. That’s why it makes me so mad — the bald-faced nature of it.

DrumNFeather
07-29-2019, 11:11 AM
Least surprising news ever: Donnie Tillman is heading to UNLV.

LA Ute
07-29-2019, 02:48 PM
Least surprising news ever: Donnie Tillman is heading to UNLV.

Leave of absence. Best place just happens to be right there in Vegas. He might as well play hoops while there, right?

Diehard Ute
07-29-2019, 04:33 PM
Leave of absence. Best place just happens to be right there in Vegas. He might as well play hoops while there, right?

And hey, it’s just a coincidence they have a new assistant who just left Utah.....

SeattleUte
07-29-2019, 05:32 PM
Was anyone here thick enough to believe that Tillman would be back?

LA Ute
07-29-2019, 05:55 PM

I think just about all of use here were rolling our eyes at the entire charade.

UtahsMrSports
07-30-2019, 09:19 AM

It was pretty clear from the initial release that this was good bye.

UtahsMrSports
07-30-2019, 09:20 AM
Naseem Gaskin is now in the transfer portal. I assume he found himself buried on the depth chart in offseason practices and is probably headed to a JC. 11 scholarships right now.

Dwight Schr-Ute
07-30-2019, 10:32 AM
Naseem Gaskin is now in the transfer portal. I assume he found himself buried on the depth chart in offseason practices and is probably headed to a JC. 11 scholarships right now.

:SerenityNow:

https://images.app.goo.gl/oQry1C8Pwm3BxMBs7

Old Standing ute
07-30-2019, 01:52 PM
On the plus side might mean that someone among Rylan, Wenzel, Brenchley, Plummer or several of them, were ahead of Gaskin. And then next year Martinez joins the program.
Gaskin was much like CJones Jr., really good athlete with a non-fixable shot. And with Timmy at the 3 & the big Finn at the 4 the Utes need a shooter at the 2.

So maybe he is smarter than Pop was & pulled the rip cord early to safe 1/2 year on sitting out.?

For a very positive & detailed review of Both Gach look at the Twitter feed from Grant Aqui NBA. Young self-proclaimed draft geek, who worked with the Suns during last draft. He thinks he is pro material.
Sorry my limited computer skills will not all ow me to transfer or give you more on site than that. Where is a good Ukrainian bot when you need one?

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-06-2019, 10:34 AM
Basketball program hit by NCAA sanctions for recruiting violations. Because, of course.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/utah-men-s-basketball-program-commits-recruiting-violations

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-06-2019, 10:53 AM
On a separate basketball note, this is going up at center court and I am pleased.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190806/26fc4e830cce2715b3ebdfec0ce154a8.jpg

Mormon Red Death
08-06-2019, 12:22 PM
Basketball program hit by NCAA sanctions for recruiting violations. Because, of course.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/utah-men-s-basketball-program-commits-recruiting-violations

Yeah its ok for Sean Miller to pay 180k for Deandre Ayton but our coaches talk to a recruit that is visiting slcc and we get a violation? ridiculous

SoCalPat
08-06-2019, 02:32 PM
Yeah its ok for Sean Miller to pay 180k for Deandre Ayton but our coaches talk to a recruit that is visiting slcc and we get a violation? ridiculous

Totally worth it. Gave Harlan an easy way out to rescind Connor's HCIW designation, one that should've never been given in the first place.

SeattleUte
08-06-2019, 04:15 PM
Totally worth it. Gave Harlan an easy way out to rescind Connor's HCIW designation, one that should've never been given in the first place.

Maybe fire the whole staff for cause. I'm not interested in defending this coaching staff with what abouts.

concerned
08-06-2019, 06:57 PM
So about two or three years ago (maybe around the time LK got an extension) I heard a rumor that Tommy Connor had been designated LK's successor. I thought "that can't be true. C Hill is not going to commit to making an asst who has no D-1 head coach experience the next head coach, without a snationwide search. And he certainly isn't going to do it when he is set to reitre soon, and tie the hands of his successor." So I forgot about it.

Then, some time after Harlan took over (months ago), I heard a rumor that Harlan had "breached" the agreement with Tommy Connor and wasn't going to honor it. I still thought that rumor made no sense, because there wouldn't be such an agreement in the first place, but that if I were Harlan, that is the first thing I would do.

SoCalPat
08-06-2019, 08:24 PM
So about two or three years ago (maybe around the time LK got an extension) I heard a rumor that Tommy Connor had been designated LK's successor. I thought "that can't be true. C Hill is not going to commit to making an asst who has no D-1 head coach experience the next head coach, without a snationwide search. And he certainly isn't going to do it when he is set to reitre soon, and tie the hands of his successor." So I forgot about it.

Then, some time after Harlan took over (months ago), I heard a rumor that Harlan had "breached" the agreement with Tommy Connor and wasn't going to honor it. I still thought that rumor made no sense, because there wouldn't be such an agreement in the first place, but that if I were Harlan, that is the first thing I would do.

Also, "2-3 years ago" isn't much after the time Tommy interviewed for, and didn't get, the Utah State job.

The HCIW only makes sense under two scenarios that I can think of. First, the HCIW is highly sought after by other schools AND the current HC admittedly doesn't have much shelf life. Will Muschamp at Texas some years ago was the first such notable instance -- I believe he voided the agreement by taking the Florida job, which he was well within his right to do. A more recent example closer to home was Mike Hopkins at Syracuse. And maybe he'll be the Orange's first call when Boeheim retires. Maybe taking the UW job didn't burn that bridge. At the same time, nobody in Syracuse begrudged Mike for getting tired of waiting (When I was a teen 30 years ago, everyone had tabbed Bernie Fine as Boeheim's successor).

The second instance is when you have a HC who, after an extended period of loyalty and success, wants to name his successor. Under more normal scenarios, Majerus likely would've been allowed to do this. The most notable instance of this being carried out was when Dean Smith retired at UNC, and Bill Guthridge got the job.

In both instances, you make a big deal about it if you're the school, or at the very least, you're not secretive about it. You appease the fan base and anyone you recruit by doing so. And in the case of Smith, he had earned the right to make that demand (duh ...). In any event, continuity is important. It's also possible that many, many more of these types of agreements are already in place that we don't know about, and I'm overstating the need to publicize such an arrangement.

So why didn't Utah do so with Tommy? Because everyone knew Tommy didn't fit criteria No. 1, and Larry didn't fit criteria No. 2.

Which brings me to my next point. What on earth was Hill's motivation for doing this? He knows the quality of candidate that would be interested in Utah. Why shut that off?

The only thing I'm certain of right now is that if it took a slap on the wrist from the NCAA and some embarrassment over being put "on probation," it was well worth it to ensure TC doesn't remain locked in as an automatic replacement for Larry. He shares in the culpability of player transfers -- I certainly don't see anything in Tommy that leads me to believe he can be the "good cop" to Larry's "bad cop."

sancho
08-06-2019, 10:59 PM
Which brings me to my next point. What on earth was Hill's motivation for doing this? He knows the quality of candidate that would be interested in Utah. Why shut that off?

You keep talking about this as if it were more than a bad rumor. Did I miss something?

SoCalPat
08-06-2019, 11:06 PM
You keep talking about this as if it were more than a bad rumor. Did I miss something?

The primary takeaway from the news of Utah hoops being put on probation was that one of our self-imposed penalties was removing HCIW status from Tommy, because it was Tommy that committed the violation.

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-13-2019, 02:50 PM

SeattleUte
08-13-2019, 03:22 PM
Thanks for this. I knew him. A good man and assistant coach.

DrumNFeather
08-14-2019, 11:00 AM
Gaskin lands at Montana. Good for him. Not to say anything nice about Larry...why would anyone want to do that? But I would have to imagine that given his ties to Montana, he helped Gaskin get there...especially given how late in the offseason Gaskin decided to leave.

So...

Donnie Tillman - UNLV
Jayce Johnson - Marquette
Brandon Morely - UVU (not on scholarship at Utah)
Charles Jones Jr - Portland St.
Naseem Gaskin - Montana
Vante Hendrix - New Mexico (Fresno first, then UNM)
Christian Popoola - SLCC

There you have it.

UTEopia
08-14-2019, 11:25 AM
Gaskin lands at Montana. Good for him. Not to say anything nice about Larry...why would anyone want to do that? But I would have to imagine that given his ties to Montana, he helped Gaskin get there...especially given how late in the offseason Gaskin decided to leave.

So...

Donnie Tillman - UNLV
Naseem Gaskin - Montana
Christian Popoola - SLCC

There you have it.

Is it too early to start who will be next and where will he go?

UBlender
08-14-2019, 03:14 PM
Is it too early to start who will be next and where will he go?

Well, I think we've been averaging a transfer a month throughout the off-season and there are still a couple more months until the season starts....

LA Ute
08-15-2019, 06:39 AM
Well, I think we've been averaging a transfer a month throughout the off-season and there are still a couple more months until the season starts....

It has become ridiculous.

Rocker Ute
08-15-2019, 09:02 AM
Had an interesting conversation this weekend regarding the state of Utah basketball. I'll first add that with new transfer rules I'm going to be a bit more lenient with coaches regarding this, particularly if you are losing kids who would never see the floor, or even good kids who want to start right away, or who can see the writing on the wall. A society built by helicopter parents is going to produce that sort of a kid and that sort of character.

However, I view losing guys like Jayce and Tillman as inexcusable. They were to be the anchors of the program.

But, since we can't do much about that, the friend I had the conversation with (who shares my feelings as mentioned) was pretty high on the kids coming in. Particularly he described the Finnish kid as 'Alex Jensen-esque' when it comes to defense and rebounding (not offensively) - and he isn't the type to throw around that kind of praise lightly. It has been a seeming long time since we've had a serious defensive/rebounding guy.

Some other thoughts on the guys coming in that I'll try to relay, but it also sounds like we'll have an inside presence who can also go out and hit threes.

All of this is meaningless if they transfer after this year - and as my former employer used to say, "potential doesn't pay bills" but interesting to me nonetheless.

U-Ute
08-15-2019, 05:02 PM

So...

Donnie Tillman - UNLV
Naseem Gaskin - Montana
Christian Popoola - SLCC

There you have it.

For all the hand-wringing out there, I can only see one name on this list, outside of Tillman, that I think could've had a big enough impact on this team that I don't think is easily replaced: Vante Handrix.

That kid was athletic.

sancho
08-15-2019, 05:30 PM
For all the hand-wringing out there, I can only see one name on this list, outside of Tillman, that I think could've had a big enough impact on this team that I don't think is easily replaced: Vante Handrix.

That kid was athletic.

We'll see if Vontae becomes anything. But Jayce is a significant loss to the 2019-20 team.

U-Ute
08-16-2019, 09:41 AM
We'll see if Vontae becomes anything. But Jayce is a significant loss to the 2019-20 team.

Unless you're thinking that this is a significant loss from a depth standpoint, I think this is where we will have to agree to disagree. Jayce was solid, and I like the kid's work ethic, but he was far from irreplaceable.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jayce-johnson-1.html

Season
School
Conf
G
GS
MP
FG
FGA
FG%
2P
2PA
2P%
3P
3PA
3P%
FT
FTA
FT%
ORB
DRB
TRB
AST
STL
BLK
TOV
PF
PTS

SOS

2016-17 (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/seasons/2017.html)
Utah (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/utah/2017.html)
Pac-12 (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/conferences/pac-12/2017.html)

2017-18 (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/seasons/2018.html)
Utah (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/utah/2018.html)
Pac-12 (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/conferences/pac-12/2018.html)

2018-19 (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/seasons/2019.html)
Utah (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/utah/2019.html)
Pac-12 (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/conferences/pac-12/2019.html)

Career
Utah

EDIT: Ooh... they've added plus/minus to their stats.

Advanced

Rk

Player
G
GS
MP
PER
TS%
eFG%
3PAr
FTr
PProd
ORB%
DRB%
TRB%
AST%
STL%
BLK%
TOV%
USG%

OWS
DWS
WS
WS/40

OBPM
DBPM
BPM

Timmy Allen (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/timmy-allen-1.html)

Donnie Tillman (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/donnie-tillman-1.html)

Parker Van Dyke (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/parker-vandyke-1.html)

Vante Hendrix (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/vante-hendrix-1.html)

Both Gach (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/both-gach-1.html)

Sedrick Barefield (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/sedrick-barefield-1.html)

Jayce Johnson (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jayce-johnson-1.html)

Riley Battin (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/riley-battin-1.html)

Novak Topalovic (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/novak-topalovic-1.html)

Brandon Morley (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/brandon-morley-1.html)

Beau Rydalch (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/beau-rydalch-1.html)

Charles Jones Jr (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/charles-jonesjr-1.html)

Marc Reininger (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/marc-reininger-1.html)

Brooks King (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/brooks-king-1.html)

sancho
08-16-2019, 10:31 AM
Unless you're thinking that this is a significant loss from a depth standpoint, I think this is where we will have to agree to disagree. Jayce was solid, and I like the kid's work ethic, but he was far from irreplaceable.

I don't know about irreplaceable, but he was an experienced starter. That along makes him the 2nd most valuable transfer of the Larry K era (after Tillman, of course). I guess the impact of his transfer depends on the quality of his inexperienced replacements. We'll see.

U-Ute
08-16-2019, 10:39 AM
Year over year rankings of Utah basketball recruits by 24/7. I'm not sure they're the best, but they're probably as accurate as anyone.

U-Ute
08-16-2019, 10:48 AM
That last one is a bit wonky in that it shows the 4 year moving average for the coaches. This is the concrete rankings by coaches, along with the overall 4 year moving average.

DrumNFeather
08-16-2019, 10:52 AM
I don't know about irreplaceable, but he was an experienced starter. That along makes him the 2nd most valuable transfer of the Larry K era (after Tillman, of course). I guess the impact of his transfer depends on the quality of his inexperienced replacements. We'll see.

I think we can get his production from a guy like Battin (8 and 8 or so) and it seems like the young centers are better rim protectors than Jayce, but yes, it would've certainly been nice to have him come back for his senior season. He improved a lot by the end of last season. That said, I think he gets bullied in the Big East.

Applejack
08-16-2019, 11:23 AM
I think we can get his production from a guy like Battin (8 and 8 or so) and it seems like the young centers are better rim protectors than Jayce, but yes, it would've certainly been nice to have him come back for his senior season. He improved a lot by the end of last season. That said, I think he gets bullied in the Big East.

I agree with this. I think losing Jayce hurts the program more than it hurts the team. We lost a guy that can' shoot to save his life (40% FTs!!!!!), is not a rim protector and is an average defender. He is a huge plus rebounder, however. But when your lone senior starter leaves, that is a gut punch for fans.

UtahsMrSports
08-16-2019, 12:23 PM
Those advanced stats seem to like Timmy. He was really good in conference play. I expect a big leap from him and Gach this year. Hopefully Battin/Carlson/Thioune/Jantunen can do enough to help us forget DT and JJ. This year is all about experience and getting better for a run in 2021.

U-Ute
08-16-2019, 12:47 PM
Those advanced stats seem to like Timmy. He was really good in conference play. I expect a big leap from him and Gach this year. Hopefully Battin/Carlson/Thioune/Jantunen can do enough to help us forget DT and JJ. This year is all about experience and getting better for a run in 2021.

They do confirm what I think I'm seeing. Allen isn't flashy, but good things happen when he's on the floor.

U-Ute
08-16-2019, 12:49 PM
More charts because I'm a data nerd:

Recruiting classes for a few of our conference mates that we like to compare ourselves with

Concrete year/year

4 year moving averages

SoCalPat
08-19-2019, 10:14 AM
Downplaying Jayce's impact is nonsense, and I say this as one who posted before league play started (or shortly thereafter) that Jayce was our worst offensive option. That changed in league play (like Barefield and Allen, his PER was better in league games than in the non-con), and if he could shoot even 65 percent from the line, he'd probably be one of our best offensive options (as far as 2-point scoring options are concerned).

On a lousy defensive team, almost a generational worst (only the 2006-07 team in Ray's last team was worse), Jayce was still far and away our best defensive player. His defensive rating of 104.4 is almost five points better than the next-best guy in the rotation (Allen 109.2). Jayce's departure isn't what's gonna keep us out of the NCAA tournament, but he would've been a seasoned vet for the young guys to go up against and he would've accelerated their development. There is simply zero case that can be made that Jayce's departure from the program isn't a significant loss.

U-Ute
08-19-2019, 10:34 AM
Downplaying Jayce's impact is nonsense, and I say this as one who posted before league play started (or shortly thereafter) that Jayce was our worst offensive option. That changed in league play (like Barefield and Allen, his PER was better in league games than in the non-con), and if he could shoot even 65 percent from the line, he'd probably be one of our best offensive options (as far as 2-point scoring options are concerned).

On a lousy defensive team, almost a generational worst (only the 2006-07 team in Ray's last team was worse), Jayce was still far and away our best defensive player. His defensive rating of 104.4 is almost five points better than the next-best guy in the rotation (Allen 109.2). Jayce's departure isn't what's gonna keep us out of the NCAA tournament, but he would've been a seasoned vet for the young guys to go up against and he would've accelerated their development. There is simply zero case that can be made that Jayce's departure from the program isn't a significant loss.

Yes, he was a good defensive presence. Your argument appears to be based on the premise that what he did defensively can't be easily replaced. I'd argue that it can - provided you have any 7-footers who can move a little bit.

He was big and played with effort. You seem to think we lost Mutombo or something.

SeattleUte
08-19-2019, 12:59 PM
More charts because I'm a data nerd:

Recruiting classes for a few of our conference mates that we like to compare ourselves with

Concrete year/year

4 year moving averages

Is the vertical axis still 247 ranking?

Rocker Ute
08-19-2019, 01:37 PM

I think that is true of any starter transferring. That happens you need to really start looking deeper at what is going on. Losing two guys in that category is an outright condemnation.

SoCalPat
08-19-2019, 02:10 PM
Yes, he was a good defensive presence. Your argument appears to be based on the premise that what he did defensively can't be easily replaced. I'd argue that it can - provided you have any 7-footers who can move a little bit.

He was big and played with effort. You seem to think we lost Mutombo or something.

He also led our team in defensive efficiency all three years he was at Utah. We'll see if Jayce's replacement will easily replicate that feat.

U-Ute
08-19-2019, 04:22 PM
Is the vertical axis still 247 ranking?

Yes. So higher is worse.

SeattleUte
08-19-2019, 04:45 PM
Yes. So higher is worse.

One thing that needs to be borne in mind is that the difference between 50 and 200 or even 30 and 100 may be less significant than 30 and top 10. So looking only at the curve and numbers gives a misleading sense of proportion. Very interesting, though. Thanks.

U-Ute
08-20-2019, 08:21 AM
One thing that needs to be borne in mind is that the difference between 50 and 200 or even 30 and 100 may be less significant than 30 and top 10. So looking only at the curve and numbers gives a misleading sense of proportion. Very interesting, though. Thanks.

Good point. You can probably break it down into 3 groups:

1-30: Elite
30-100: Average
100+: Bad

That's my gut feeling on how it breaks down on a rough scale.

SeattleUte
08-20-2019, 02:18 PM
Good point. You can probably break it down into 3 groups:

1-30: Elite
30-100: Average
100+: Bad

That's my gut feeling on how it breaks down on a rough scale.

I would add that there's a material difference between 1-10 and 11-30.

Scratch
08-21-2019, 09:37 AM
Sounds like we're on the verge of securing a commitment from (or may have already secured a commitment from) another guy ranked in 247's, Rivals', and ESPN's top 100. For all the consternation around LK he's recruiting better than any Utah coach ever (at least on paper, of course).

LA Ute
08-21-2019, 10:19 AM
Sounds like we're on the verge of securing a commitment from (or may have already secured a commitment from) another guy ranked in 247's, Rivals', and ESPN's top 100. For all the consternation around LK he's recruiting better than any Utah coach ever (at least on paper, of course).

I agree. The ultimate issue for LK is that he needs to stop having a virtually new team every year.

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-21-2019, 10:22 AM

U-Ute
08-21-2019, 10:41 AM
We finally get a guy from Wasatch Academy?

SoCalPat
08-21-2019, 11:05 AM

Larry also has the cachet of the Pac-12 behind him, something no other Utah coach ever had.

U-Ute
08-21-2019, 11:52 AM
I don't know anything about this kid. Seems like a tweener though. 6'7" seems a bit small for a PF. Is he quick enough to be a SF?

Scratch
08-21-2019, 12:06 PM
I don't know anything about this kid. Seems like a tweener though. 6'7" seems a bit small for a PF. Is he quick enough to be a SF?

Most sites list him as a SF, and I think he's up to about 6'8" now. I think the thought is that he will primarily be a SF, but can easily slide up and play the 4 against most teams depending on matchups.

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-21-2019, 12:08 PM

Apparently has a good shot.

UBlender
08-21-2019, 12:37 PM
I wonder if there's any chance of the late reclassification (a la Kuzma)? Of course guard is still where this team will face the most questions, even if this guy were coming this year his position is where Utah seems to be the most solid with Timmy Allen.

SeattleUte
08-21-2019, 12:41 PM

Who cares? He's not getting us into the tournament and his players are transferring by junior year. His bench coaching is bad to a bizarre extent, and the defense and discipline is lacking. Washington fired Romar with the no. 1 recruiting class in the country, because he couldn't get them into the tournament regardless of recruiting.

Also, however wowed you are by his recruiting, it's still in the bottom half of the Pac 12, if that's your sine qua non.

Why are you defending these coaches?

SeattleUte
08-21-2019, 12:42 PM
Apparently has a good shot.

That dunk was a near miss. I hope the rim is okay.

chrisrenrut
08-21-2019, 02:33 PM
Who cares? He's not getting us into the tournament and his players are transferring by junior year. His bench coaching is bad to a bizarre extent, and the defense and discipline is lacking. Washington fired Romar with the no. 1 recruiting class in the country, because he couldn't get them into the tournament regardless of recruiting.

Also, however wowed you are by his recruiting, it's still in the bottom half of the Pac 12, if that's your sine qua non.

Why are you defending these coaches?

Scratch didn't defend the coaches, he stated a fact about recruiting.

You have such a hard-on about getting Larry gone, you are arguing against things that people aren't saying. You have Larry Derangement Syndrome (I won't even comment on the irony of that acronym).

UtahsMrSports
08-21-2019, 03:44 PM
Just announced on twitter that its official. Huge get for the program. Huge get for the program.

Interesting note on this kid..........his Dad played at BYU. His mom's cousin is the head coach at wasatch. Mark Pope went after this kid like crazy. He would have likely been a cougar but for Tim LaComb not coming back.

Sorry folks, there is not a chance in hell that Larry is going anywhere anytime soon.

DrumNFeather
08-21-2019, 03:55 PM
Offer list:

Baylor, Texas, KSU, BYU, TCU, Texas A&M.

SeattleUte
08-21-2019, 04:03 PM
Scratch didn't defend the coaches, he stated a fact about recruiting.

You have such a hard-on about getting Larry gone, you are arguing against things that people aren't saying. You have Larry Derangement Syndrome (I won't even comment on the irony of that acronym).

I never said he should be fired. I have never said that. I do, however, think he's been substantially underperforming and he needs to do a lot better.

chrisrenrut
08-22-2019, 01:14 AM
I never said he should be fired. I have never said that. I do, however, think he's been substantially underperforming and he needs to do a lot better.

You have come awfully close.

If there are mass transfers, a good lawyer should be able to find termination for cause grounds somewhere in the debacle, nixing the buyout or making a negotiation of a substantial discount possible.

https://www.utahby5.com/showthread.php?2621-The-Fire-Larry-Krystkowiak-Thread&p=121280&viewfull=1#post121280

Scorcho
08-22-2019, 09:51 AM

https://www.utahby5.com/showthread.php?2621-The-Fire-Larry-Krystkowiak-Thread&p=121280&viewfull=1#post121280

SeattleUte is so misunderstood

Maybe fire the whole staff for cause. I'm not interested in defending this coaching staff with what abouts.

He's not getting us into the tournament and his players are transferring by junior year. His bench coaching is bad to a bizarre extent, and the defense and discipline is lacking. Washington fired Romar with the no. 1 recruiting class in the country, because he couldn't get them into the tournament regardless of recruiting. Why are you defending these coaches?

I say keep chasing ghosts until we hit on a worthy coach.

You have been totally predictable in your apologetics for this charlatan of a coach.

Too bad that his second NCAA appearance was so excruciating. Mark Few made us see reality as to where Krystkowiak sits in the coaching pecking order As has Altman.

He isn't "here now simply because of that buyout." Do you think you do him favors by saying that? See if you can wrap your intellect (such as it is) around all the implications of that. The AD could easily raise money to buy him out, and the University probably could fire him for cause and negotiate a discount or just tell him, eff off, sue us, cheater. Probably what Krystkowiak has going for him is that he and his two predecessors have over 15 years smothered a great deal of enthusiasm for the program.

underneath it all, there's lots of hidden love and respect for this charlatan of a coach

LA Ute
08-22-2019, 12:25 PM

SU's denials seem kind of...passive-aggressive.

Scorcho
08-25-2019, 11:39 AM
Soto is out as color guy for mens hoops

UtahsMrSports
08-25-2019, 02:08 PM
Soto is out as color guy for mens hoops

Sounds like he is just switching day jobs but will stay on the radio gig per his Twitter

Scorcho
08-25-2019, 02:55 PM
Sounds like he is just switching day jobs but will stay on the radio gig per his Twitter

oh good, hope so

LA Ute
08-25-2019, 04:18 PM
oh good, hope so

He told me he’ll be doing the color commentary for at least another year.

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-29-2019, 08:20 AM
Tickets go on sale 9/3 at 10 am.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190829/4c6277c69b793d3eb526b95d4511b51b.jpg

Scorcho
11-14-2019, 11:48 AM
I know I shouldn't, I should just let it go, but I can't help it.

Through two games for Marquette Jayce Johnson hasn't played. He's recovering from a sprained knee.

snafu
11-14-2019, 02:15 PM
I know I shouldn't, I should just let it go, but I can't help it.

Through two games for Marquette Jayce Johnson hasn't played. He's recovering from a sprained knee.

Sucks for Jayce. After seeing these first couple of games I can understand why he bailed.

Scorcho
11-16-2019, 09:28 AM
Tillman with 18 points, 7 boards for UNLV last night in a loss to UCLA. He's been the Rebels best player this year so far.

Scorcho
11-21-2019, 09:56 AM
Tillman had 13 points and 5 rebounds in UNLV's loss to Texas State, but he was only 3 of 11 from the floor.

This has been your Donnie I wish you stayed update.

DrumNFeather
11-21-2019, 01:51 PM
Tillman had 13 points and 5 rebounds in UNLV's loss to Texas State, but he was only 3 of 11 from the floor.

This has been your Donnie I wish you stayed update.

Jayce had 1 board in 5 minutes in his first game back from injury. We are fair and balanced at UB5.

Scorcho
01-04-2020, 10:14 PM
Donnie Tillman didn't play for UNLV tonight, he's not injured speculation is another team rule violation. His 3rd this year.

Mormon Red Death
01-06-2020, 07:55 AM
Donnie Tillman didn't play for UNLV tonight, he's not injured speculation is another team rule violation. His 3rd this year.

Marquette beat villanova on Saturday. Jayce didnt play... idk if he is hurt or benched.

Scorcho
01-06-2020, 09:36 AM
Donnie Tillman did not play because he was late for Saturday’s shootaround, Otzelberger said.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/unlv/unlv-basketball/unlv-rides-defense-to-victory-over-air-force-1928539/

DrumNFeather
01-06-2020, 11:10 AM
https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/unlv/unlv-basketball/unlv-rides-defense-to-victory-over-air-force-1928539/

I believe this is his 2nd or 3rd "offense" since being at UNLV.